Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This teen is really becoming a family.
Speaker 3: Let's not play one on Tom.
Speaker 4: Let's I love writing me. These guys out to the show.
Speaker 5: Just thank you, give me are.
Speaker 6: Your attention, your fire a piss.
Speaker 7: This is world champion Dodger, world champion.
Speaker 8: Thing put a small soft time they get up people what they want to die.
Speaker 9: To in a row two is special.
Speaker 6: I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache.
Speaker 9: One of the con This ball's gone. You ready to go?
Speaker 7: Hell time go to the sound grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven.
Speaker 9: I'll go to the show.
Speaker 6: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 8: We are lying at Corus Field in a rain delay and they was windy and rainy, and we got to clean up in the front row here in the radio booth as the rain started to be blown into the booth and Dwayne McDonald, our producer engineer, a mad scramble. We closed the windows as Rick Monday and Tim Nevert scrambled their way out of the front row. And now it's a little cleanup. So they got some time, because the rain is going to be here, probably at least for the next forty minutes. Hopefully it clears out, but it feels like the rain. The weather in Denver, downtown Denver changes every hour. I mean, it was a beautiful day all day long, and then all of a sudden, as the game progressed, the black clouts came in and all of a sudden we had rain burst into the top of the sixth inning and they were trying to play through it, and the Dodgers say, thank you very much for trying to play through it, because as you heard Rick and Tim mention vyro Estrada try to handle a pop up on the infield at second base from Max Munsey, the rain drops started to get into his eyes and he lost the ball, and all of a sudden you had Dalton rushing and Shoeo Tiny score for the first two runs of the game. So with two outs, the Dodgers have the lead two to nothing with two in and two outs. When play resumes, ta Oscar Hernandez will be at the play with Max Munsey at first base. We have phone lines open at eight six, six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. This is game two of this three game series between the Dodgers and Rockies, Yoshi Yamamoto has been cruising.
Speaker 9: In this game.
Speaker 8: He has pitched five scoreless innings, and all of a sudden, you know this is becoming a trend you don't want to have if you're Yama Moto, because the Dodgers have struggled to score runs when he's been on the mound. So it's been two or fewer runs in twelve of sixteen starts for Yamamoto this season. He's the guy that is not getting a lot of runs support. I remember year back in the mid nineties it seemed to be knuckleballer Tom Candiotti that never got run support one season.
Speaker 9: So this does occur.
Speaker 8: But you want your best pitcher to be able to get some run support. And at least the Dodgers scored too in the top half of that sixth inning.
Speaker 9: Likely Yama motos night.
Speaker 8: Is over because of this extended delay, and it was one out a way from him being on the mound instead of Chase Dolander who was on the mound for the Rockies. So Yama motos Night likely done after five scoreless innings eight six, six, seven, two five seventy is the phone number in case you're wondering if Freddie Freeman busted out of his slump tonight.
Speaker 9: He has not.
Speaker 8: He's zero for three. He grinded out to short, to second, and to first base in the sixth inning before the rain came down. After month, seas pop up to dyro Estrada and Chase Dolander.
Speaker 9: You may not know his name, but he's one.
Speaker 8: Of the heart throwing young Rockies and he's gonna be around.
Speaker 9: For a while.
Speaker 8: You have to believe not only Dolander, but the Rockies get up for this game, this series against the Dodgers, because frankly, they.
Speaker 9: Don't have anything to play for.
Speaker 8: They're on pace to lose more games than any other team in modern Major League Baseball history. They're on pace to lose one hundred and twenty five games. That would be a new record, considering the White Sox set the all time loss record just last year one hundred and twenty one losses, and the Rockies only have eighteen wins this season.
Speaker 9: They're on pace to lose one hundred and twenty five.
Speaker 8: So Chase Dolander, a rookie, a heart throwing right hander, is looking to make an impression not only on the Dodgers, but for the rest of the season. And you have to imagine he brought his a game tonight, and he certainly did. The Dodgers set fits against Dolanders fastball tonight, haven't been able to do much of anything until that sixth inning with a little assist from the rain. And speaking of the Rockies and their record, if you look at these two teams, the Dodgers and Rockies, going back to twenty eighteen, when the Rockies were good enough to force a game won sixty three with the Dodgers to decide.
Speaker 9: Who would be the NLS champions.
Speaker 8: That's right, these Rockies, just to mirror what eight years ago, we're forcing the Dodgers into a Game one sixty three to decide who was going to be the NLS champion. Since that game won sixty three behind Walker Bueler and Corey Seeger. That beat the Rockies and gave the Dodgers another NLS crown.
Speaker 9: The Rockies have lost five.
Speaker 8: Hundred and seventy one games since game won sixty three in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 9: That's right.
Speaker 8: The Rockies record since Game one sixty three and twenty eighteen three hundred and seventy seven wins five hundred and seventy one losses. They're on their way to their third one hundred loss season since that game won sixty three in twenty eighteen. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to the phones, and we're also going to share our pregame conversation with US Open winner and huge Dodger fan JJ Spawn. As we are in a rain delay here at Corsfield, let's go out to Boyle Heights.
Speaker 9: Robert, You're on Dodger Talk live from Denver.
Speaker 10: Hi, Robert, Hi, how's it going, Dave?
Speaker 11: Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 10: I just wanted to ask if he knew any information about Bruce ar Graderol and his progression.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 8: You know what, we haven't heard a lot about Bruce Argraderol other than he won't be ready until the second half of the season at the early So we haven't seen Bruce dark Graderol since the Dodgers played the Diamondbacks in Arizona because obviously that's where their headquarters is for kemel Back Ranch out there in Glendale. So no, but good news about Blake trining, he's on his way back. We've heard from him. And did you hear about Emmitt Shean today, Robert.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, actually I did six shutout innings.
Speaker 10: I heard.
Speaker 9: A little bit better than that.
Speaker 8: Six perfect innings for Oklahoma City today in Sacramento with thirteen strikeouts. Emit Shean certainly is going to be a big part of this Dodger rotation. Yeah, Robert, oh wow, is one hundred percent right. And look, Emitt she and the Dodgers did not demote him just because they didn't think he was good enough. They didn't want him to pitch at Corse Field. He's just coming back from Tommy John surgery pitching in games. They probably didn't want him pitching on regular rest without a day off in Kansas City either.
Speaker 9: So they could.
Speaker 8: Control his build up program better by sending him down to Oklahoma City. And Dave Roberts said before the game today, you're gonna see Emt Sheen back here sooner rather than later, maybe as soon as the next Homestand so that's great news for Emmitt Shean. Yes, six perfect innings today for Oklahoma City. He was overpowering with his fastball and slider with thirteen strikeouts. And when you see Emma Sheen, if you ever have a chance to come to Dodger Stadium and watch she and pitch, you will notice a big difference and his size and strength since he went on the il and since he started to recover from Tommy John's surgery.
Speaker 9: I thought Dave Roberts said it perfectly.
Speaker 8: Today he is bigger and more physical than he was before he had the surgery. So not only was he working on his throwing program, he was working in the weight room.
Speaker 9: He is a beast, He's a monster.
Speaker 8: Right now, eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers leading the Rockies two to nothing at Corsfield. We are in a rain delay with two outs in the top of the sixth inning. The rain has calmed down a bit here at coors Field, but it's still falling. Let's go out to Irvine. Ian you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 1: Ian.
Speaker 6: Hey, David, how you doing doing great?
Speaker 13: Can you real good?
Speaker 12: Okay? Cool?
Speaker 5: Hey? I wanted to just ask I saw some of them.
Speaker 14: Recently on Paul schemes, you know, possibly being shocked around. You know, obviously the Pirates season is most likely over, and the Dodgers might be a huge, you know, proponent to get him and maybe give away like a lot of people, including Rokie and some of these minor league players. So I wanted to see what your thoughts were if if the Dodgers were to do something like that.
Speaker 8: Ian, let me ask you a qu if the Pirates were to trade Paul Skins, who is just in his first full season in Major League Baseball with six more years of controllable salary here, don't you think that if the Pirates traded him, they should probably just contract the franchise. I mean, why would they do that? And would that be good for the game. Do you think the other twenty nine teams or twenty eight teams in baseball would allow or even want the Pirates to a trade Skiings and b trade him to the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: No, of course not.
Speaker 9: I mean this all started.
Speaker 8: This all started with a Jeff Passing appearance on the Pat McAfee show.
Speaker 9: And I love Jeff and.
Speaker 8: He is definitely an outspoken critic of the Pirates ownership and rightfully so. Did Skeen's agent tell him to put this out there?
Speaker 9: Because it makes.
Speaker 8: Absolutely zero sense that the Pirates would even consider trading Paul Skins, let alone trading him to the Dodgers.
Speaker 14: I mean, I just thought because of the control that he does have for that long a period of time, I know that they get to use him for a while, but they're not gonna be able to afford him, you know, by the time that his contract comes up.
Speaker 9: So yeah, but that's.
Speaker 8: Three or four years from now, that's even five years from now. Ian, it's not right now. Wouldn't you believe the pirates wouldn't be better to believe the Pirates would try to build around Paul Skins rather than trading him right away.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 8: I mean that that's just like we're starting to get into NBA territory where every good young player was going to be traded to the Lakers and that doesn't happen. Come on, Ian, that you're a smart guy. It sounds like, does that really add up to you Paul Skins being traded to the Dodgers this year?
Speaker 15: Come on, it was a hot it.
Speaker 13: I just want to see what your thoughts were on it.
Speaker 8: I think it's as a clown question. How about that? Oh no, no, in a good way, not by you. But others, you're just delivering the question to me.
Speaker 10: Well, thanks, David, appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Okay, Ian, thanks for the phone call. Yeah, that's the most ridiculous thing I have heard. Okay, So here's another layer to this. The Pirates are going to trade Paul Skiings five years before he's close to free agency. They're going to acquire, let's just estimate, five blue chip prospects that, if they believe they're really good at some point, are going to have to pay them when.
Speaker 9: They hit free agency.
Speaker 8: So you're telling me the guy that everybody shows up to watch in Pittsburgh, the Pirates can't afford to pay. So that's why they're going to trade him. But they're going to take on five or six other blue chip players that if they can't pay Paul Skiings, how are they going to pay these five or six players. If you stop to think about it, it just doesn't make sense. The Pirates need to build around Paul Skins. They've got five years to do it. They're not going to trade Paul Skins. And come on, I feel very strong about it, strongly about this. If the Pirates traded Paul Skins to the Dodgers, they should just contract the franchise, because what are you doing? Are you really trying to win? If you do that, and that's how ridiculous it is, it's not gonna happen. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number David Vase live at Corsfield in Denver. We are in a rain delay, Dodgers leading two to nothing in the top of the sixth inning with two outs. Let's go out to Malibu. Bob, you want to take a victory lap because you were at Game one sixty three.
Speaker 16: I want to take a victory lap with you. I know you were probably there too as well, Dave, and you also probably remember what happened late in that game in the ninth when our men Kenley Jansen came into that game.
Speaker 12: It got Harry there for a second with two back.
Speaker 16: To back home runs by the Rockies.
Speaker 9: I try to block that out.
Speaker 13: Actually, well, we came out on top.
Speaker 16: This was great, but a fun day at the ballfar for Game one sixty three. On the note of the last call day and talking about selling the franchise, I have a question how much does mlbing, other ownership and the commissioner and everybody play into a franchise like the Rockies being asked or even forced to sell a dying franchise if they don't feel like maybe enough's not being reinvested in the team, or it's just not given enough back to baseball. How much play to other people or say do other teams ownership have in that decision to sell a franchise?
Speaker 8: They have, some say, but I mean we've seen owners throughout the years really not put the investment back into the roster. So you know, as long as they're not embarrassing the league or nothing gets spilled up publicly and a divorce, then I think it's it's kind of status quo.
Speaker 16: A team like the Rockies days. Do they need to sell that franchise and bring a new ownership.
Speaker 8: Well, that's not up to me to say, and I don't really know the situation as well, But you would hope that this owner one day would reinvest in the team because a lot of fans come here to watch winning baseball. But I don't think he's done anything egregious that would say the rest of the twenty nineteen should force him to sell.
Speaker 9: I don't believe that's the case.
Speaker 15: Good, that's fair.
Speaker 16: I just wanted to know maybe how much other teams had to say.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, it seems like he.
Speaker 9: Has to get really messy. It would have to be really messy. It would have to be really.
Speaker 8: It would have to affect a team getting thank you for the phone call. It would also have to, you know, come into play. If you're not able to get a new stadium in your city, I think that would raise the antennas of the rest of the league. But they've got a great ballpark here at Coursefield, and the fans.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 8: They had thirty five thousand last night for the Dodgers in a summertime, midweek game. So the fans still come out, and you just hope that the fans can be rewarded with some good drafting and development and also some smart signings. You can't force an owner to sell just because they make some mistakes and trades and signings and all that. I mean that Chris Bryant signing. They spent money, but it wasn't wisely. Daniels Jewelers presents the Home Run Forecast. Go to AM five seventy LA sports dot com use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home runs in the very next game. Daniels Jewelers own the dream. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to the great one eighth, the San Fernando Valley. Joseph, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Joseph.
Speaker 10: I'm doing good. I hope you're staying dry.
Speaker 9: We're all drying now, the windows closed.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of my friends lives out there and he's like, well, it's raining. What's all this talk about, like the trades? I guess the Dodgers being linked to so many trades, pitch ideas, and then this whole thing of Chris Dale and just I saw some articles about like in the rumor mill. I guess, like, I guess why the teas with Well.
Speaker 8: You're gonna see a lot of rumors between as we get closer to July thirty. First, you're gonna see a lot of rumors, so be ready for that. And the Dodgers are the premier team and everybody knows they're trying to go forward again for back to back championships. So you're gonna see a lot of those rumors and look, am I certain starting pitching is what the Dodgers were going to put at the top of their list. I'm not, but it could make sense to add another cantrollable starting pitcher. I'm a huge Chrissale fan. He is a guy that you would want on your pitching staff in the postseason. Another guy that the Marlins are going to be listening about is Sandy al Cantata, and the Dodgers have a lot of blue chip players, including tonight's starting catcher Dalton Rushing, who's not starting. He's a backup that teams like the Marlins may want. So you're gonna you're gonna hear a lot of that. M hm.
Speaker 2: I guess, like basically, what about is there? They're not gonna touch Kim though, right, They're keeping Kim.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they like him. I don't think he's going anywhere, Joseph.
Speaker 8: But if there's a player that can make a huge difference, you got to give something to get something.
Speaker 9: But I don't think Kim's going anywhere.
Speaker 8: Thanks a lot for the phone call, Joseph appreciated eight sixty six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. By the way, speaking of Paul Skeins and the Pirates, the guy that you know the Pirates realistically may consider trading is their relief pitcher. He was their closer than he wasn't now he is again David Bednar. I mean Andrew Friedman was on Petro Some Money show a month ago after Evan Phillips underwent Tommy John surgery and was on the record as saying the Dodgers will be looking for a right handed reliever, and David Bednar maybe that type of guy. So I feel like right now the Dodgers may be looking for a right handed reliever, maybe an outfielder, and starting pitching definitely is never off the table. Eight six, six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Corona, Ronnie. You're on Dodger Talk with David Vess.
Speaker 9: Hi, Ronnie, how you doing? Dv doing good?
Speaker 13: Hey?
Speaker 4: So, I had a question.
Speaker 5: I know Kershaw's pitching tomorrow. He's eight strikeouts away from three thousand. Yeah, what do you think the odd tomorrow? I see if he lights out pitch is super low. If he got to maybe like seven strikeouts that doctor took him out. That way he could do the three thousand mark at home, in front of his home.
Speaker 12: For doubt.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I thought about that, and I feel like, you know, here at Coursfield, Dave Roberts is not going to let him go past seven innings. And Dave understands, you know, the celebration for Kershaw reaching three thousand strikeouts, So I could I could see him allowing him to be one short and pulling him so he could achieve that at Dodger Stadium. I think it's got to come into context of the outing and the game. But I will say this, Ronnie, how many strikeouts would you imagine Kershaw getting within five innings? I feel like the over under on Kershaw strikeouts tomorrow realistically, and I feel like I'm being a little generous is six and a half. I feel like that's a very generous over under for strikeouts for Kershaw tomorrow.
Speaker 9: How do you think he gets.
Speaker 5: I would agree, I would.
Speaker 12: I was gonna stay about I was going to say about four or five, to be honest, but you know, you never know.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, look at it right now, Yamamoto pitch five scoreless tonight, and he's a strikeout pitcher. He had six strikeouts in five innings and he's a strikeout pitcher, so I feel like five or six is pretty reasonable. And then Kershaw's next start would be at home against the White Sox, and we all know he could he can get two or three strikeouts against them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, it would be nice just to have him be able to do it in front of the home crowd. You know, the possibility of this scene is last year. I'm sure the fans of LA would love to see this so and he deserves it now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I feel like it's lining up for that and that would be special. Thanks for the phone call, Ronnie, appreciate it. We are in a rain delay two to nine Dodgers in the top of the sixth inning with two outs, Max Mounsey at first base and ti Oscar Hernandez will be the batter for the Dodgers. Speaking of Kershaw, yes, he is pitching tomorrow. Yes, it is the finale of this three game series. First pitch will be at twelve ten Pacific time. And we had a chance to catch up with Kershaw this past Sunday, and he's been very open about the fact that he is on the doorstep of this big time milestone for any starting pitcher.
Speaker 17: It's taking a little while, taking a little longer than I thought. But no, you know, I'm really just trying to pitch. You know, at the end of the day, the strikeouts are supposed to happen, and they'll just come when they come.
Speaker 9: But it is getting closer.
Speaker 17: You're starting to feel it a little bit more, and you know, I try not to pay too much attention to it, but you know, I am thankful. My teammates are excited for me, and Freddie especially keeps reminding me. So it's, uh, that is that is cool. I mean it shows that they care and they want me to, you know, do something cool like that.
Speaker 9: So I do appreciate that. That's cool.
Speaker 8: You hear about hitters when they're on the doorstep of five hundred they kind of go into a little prolonged slum trying to hit that home run.
Speaker 9: Is it different for a pitcher, Well, I think.
Speaker 17: So you got more opportunities to strike people out, you know, I think you know, you only get four maybe five at bats a game, so that that that's a little more understandable. You know, I shouldn't I shouldn't go on a strikeout drought that bad. You know, we are going to Colorado next, but make make make get it through that one and then see where we are.
Speaker 8: Skip Schumacher was your first ever strikeout here at Dodger Stadium. How often did you remind him of that? And how often do you still remind him?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 17: You know, I get to I get to have that for the rest of my life with Skip, So that's awesome. And it's just kind of cool that, you know, I got to play with Skip and get to know him, and he really is one of the best. So it's a it's a cool strikeout to have, And yeah, I remind him all the time.
Speaker 9: That's great. Yeah, it is great.
Speaker 8: Skip Schumacher was one of Kershaw's favorite teammates. They were only teammates for one year on the twenty thirteen Dodgers, but they Skip Schumacher and Nick Punto certainly made a big impact on Kershaw because when he won the MV and the cy Young the following year and they weren't teammates, he still mentioned them in his speech, So you know that left a big impression on him.
Speaker 9: So I guess my prediction.
Speaker 8: Now my official prediction for Kershaw strikeouts tomorrow, five strikeouts in five innings and he'll get three more at Dodger Stadium against the White Sox. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. David Vase live at Corsfield with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett alongside Dwayne MacDonald, our producer engineer and a rain delay at Corsfield. Top of the sixth inning with two outs, two runs are in thanks to a Max Mounsey pop up that dyro Estrada could not see because the rain was falling pretty hard at that point in time, and he just turned his head away and let the ball drop between first and second base. So that's how the Dodgers scored their two runs. Otani and rushing running on contact with two outs scored and Taoskar Hernandez will come up with two outs and Max Munsey at first base when we resume play.
Speaker 9: Eight six six.
Speaker 8: Nine seven two five seventies the phone number. Let's go out to set Clemente. Jorgey, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Jorge?
Speaker 12: Hey, how you doing, Buddy? Thanks taking my call, but a huge Dodger fan, I remember right hold on.
Speaker 9: Let's rewind. Let's rewind.
Speaker 8: Hold on, hold on, just don't talk at me, Let's rewind, buddy. I mean, can we just say, hey, how you doing, lib buddy?
Speaker 9: I mean that was.
Speaker 12: Very I'm still excited. Sorry about that, man, How you doing, my friend?
Speaker 9: That's all right, control your excitement.
Speaker 12: Super excited to be on Dodgers tech man. I remember when the Rockies first came into the expansion. That was my first Dodger game. I was in fourth grade. I remember that like it was yesterday. I remember that.
Speaker 8: Do you know who the first pick the Rockies had in uh in their expansion draft or in the amateur draft?
Speaker 9: Do you remember that.
Speaker 12: I was in fourth grade.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 12: I don't even remember.
Speaker 9: I don't remember that, David Need, that's a good trivia question for you.
Speaker 12: That's a good one. Hey, I had a question for you. What do you think is going on with all these pitchers as far as like league wide and Dodgers, with them having so many injuries? Do you think you has to do with the pitch clock or but what do you think is going on? I've been asking myself that for a while.
Speaker 8: I've been asked that a million times, and here's the answer. I don't have the answer because every case is individualized, but I feel like oral Herscheizer has said it perfectly so many times.
Speaker 9: It's guys chasing velocity.
Speaker 8: And also in there in between starts bullpen sessions, they're chasing the optimal metrics every time they throw a pitch, even in their bullpen. Instead of just trying to get the feel for some of their pitches, they're trying to make the max effort most perfect pitch ever because they look at the iPad and they look at the mech trick. So when you're going you're going hard every fifth day and then you're going hard in practice, Uh, things are not going to work.
Speaker 12: Out for you, right, Yeah, no, it's it's it's interesting. But you know, like I hate seeing all these pictures and all these good pictures, especially on the Dodger side, you know, getting hurt and it's kind of like, man, you know there there has to be something to it, but you know, yeah, man, so it's really cool. I'm going to kind of tick you back on a little bit when you guys were talking earlier, but Kershaw is one of the best pictures I've ever seen in my life. I remember when he came up when I was in high school and I was there for a no hitter. I remember that very vividly. I was supposed to be at that game, but God blessed me for that reason to be in there. And yeah, man, I'm huge Dodger fance and since I was a kid, I grew up in damn bar and always bleed blue even in Orange County.
Speaker 8: All right, Orgete, thanks for the phone call. Appreciate it. Thanks Buddy. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Hey, I love his enthusiasm. You could tell he's a big Let's go out to Torrance. Mark, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Mark?
Speaker 18: Yo?
Speaker 9: Mark?
Speaker 8: He go, all right, We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. How about you guys reset again during this reign delay. We're also going to hear from JJ Spawn had a chance to catch up with the US Open champion and he's a huge Dodger fan from San Dimas.
Speaker 9: That's coming up next.
Speaker 8: As we take you to the top of the hour, the rain has subsided, so hopefully the grounds crew can get the tarp off here soon and we can get play resumed as the Dodgers are leading the Rockies in the top of the sixth inning with two outs, two to nothing on the World Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: Even if you're listening to La Dodgers.
Speaker 8: Baseball on top of the Mountains on the World Champion in.
Speaker 6: La Dodgers Audio, what.
Speaker 1: Three and two to mun Shoon the pitch they office swung on and popped up right side second basement.
Speaker 9: Astrada calling for it, he can't find it. It drops in th head. Both rushing and old Tani Scar.
Speaker 1: And Tolia stopped even looking for the baseball.
Speaker 8: That's how the Dodgers scored the first two runs of the game, top of the sixth inning, with two outs. The rain was falling at that time, starting to get heavier, and thyro Estrada lost the ball in the rain, and the Dodgers scored two runs with two outs. And that's where we stand right now in a rain delay at Corsfield, with the Dodgers leading two to nothing in the top of the sixth inning with two outs. When play resumes, we'll have Max Munsey at first base and ta Oscar Hernandez at the plate. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Before the game today, we had a chance to catch up with the US Open champion, JJ spawn who's from San Demis and is a huge Dodger fan.
Speaker 9: In fact, he had one of his.
Speaker 8: Score books, a leather bound score book with the Dodgers logo on it, and that's how we were tipped off that he is a huge Dodger fan. So JJ joined us before the game and here was our conversation.
Speaker 15: Hey, David, yeah, no problem, thanks for having me on last to be on the phone with you.
Speaker 8: Hey, it's meant to be the Dodgers winning the World Series in twenty four and a Dodger fan named JJ Spahn winning the US Open this year.
Speaker 15: I know, right, Yeah, it's been an incredible year for me. And you know, to backup a World Series win for the city of La with the twenty twenty five US Open, I'm, you know, super humbled and proud to be the US Open and you know, keep that trophy in Southern California.
Speaker 8: Jji spotted your score book with the leather Dodger cover on it, and that kind of tipped us all off that you're a big Dodger fan. Have you had that score book a long time or was that special for the US Open.
Speaker 15: I've actually had it for a really long time. My father in law does an annual Christmas gift for me where he gives me a new yardage book cover, so we carry Yardage book covers that has all the course notes in it. And you know, with commodity and rain and stuff, it gets wet, so you usually have a leather cover and people like to personalize there. So my father in law has always put a Dodgers theme on it. I have a World Series one, but the authentic Dodgers one has been my favorite for the last few years. So yeah, it's been in my back pocket, you know, for the last four or five years, and it's definitely part of, you know, my lucky routine, my lucky charm for me on the course.
Speaker 9: That's really special.
Speaker 8: And you know, we saw your Instagram page where a couple of years ago you actually showed up at Chase Field to take a photo with Mookie Beds and Freddie Freeman. Do you have a favorite Dodger How long have you been a Dodger fan?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean I've I've been a Dodger fan since I can remember. You know, really young. My grandfather used to hold season tickets and would treat us to games, you know, weekly or monthly whenever we could get out of school and stuff during the week. But yeah, I've always been, you know, a huge Dodger fan. It really kind of escalated and you know my high school and college years during the you know, Manny Ramirez andres your Matt Camp, you know, Era and Kersh. So that's kind of when it really grew into a passion for me. But yeah, you know, like it's it's such a great organization and there's so many great players that come through it's hard to just pick one. But yeah, it was fun to see Mooki and Freddie. Actually, Mooki was my pro am partner at the Pebble Beach Pro am three years ago, so that was that was a great treat to you know, get to play fifty four holes with him and get to know him a little bit. So we've kept in touch a little bit here and there throughout the years in between and it's been fun. So it's nice to have, you know, a connection with with some players that are on the Dodgers.
Speaker 8: Did Mookie Bets send you a text after you won the US Open.
Speaker 15: Yes, you sure did. Yeah, and his his wife texted my wife and they're super very nice and co graduating and you know, we we've got some plans up, you know, up our sleeves in the future to come out to Dodge Stadium make some things happen. So, uh yeah, it's a very exciting time to uh, you know, be a Dodger him and also get to share it with all my friends.
Speaker 8: That's awesome, JJ Spahn the US Open champion and a kid from San Dimas is joining us.
Speaker 9: All right, JJ, So if I had to tell.
Speaker 8: You you could wear one player's jersey while playing a championship tournament, would it be Ethier, would it be Camp would it be Mookie Bets?
Speaker 9: Who would it be?
Speaker 15: I would have to go with I think I just have to go with Kersh just because he's like the franchise, you know, like I like to nickname him the franchise. He's the face and he's been through it all, He's been a champion, he's you know, been such a key role player for this team. I'd kind of, you know, I have a soft spot for Curse, so I'd be wearing twenty two.
Speaker 8: So tomorrow he'll take the mound here at Corus Field, only eight strikeouts away from three thousand. Will you be able to watch tomorrow start?
Speaker 15: Yes, of course, got to watch that. I gotta you know, obviously Dad routines with putting the kids to sleep and stuff. Well, I guess it's an early game, right midday, so yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, one o'clock game tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 15: I'm resting, relaxing, so you know, I got all the time to kill after the last two weeks of golf, and it's kind of nice to to veg out on the couch and watch some baseball, so I'll definitely be watching.
Speaker 9: Love it JJ.
Speaker 8: I got to ask you this, since you're such a big Dodger fan, where were you when Freddie Freeman hit his walk off Grand Slam against the Yankees last year?
Speaker 15: That was actually a really cool question. I was. I was in Tokyo, actually Tokyo, Japan, playing the Zozo Yeah, I was playing the Zozo Championship over in Narta, Tokyo, and I'll never forget I was walking. So it was at the time. It was probably ten eleven am in Japan time, so you know, back home in the evening, and I was in the middle of my round. So I was pulling out my phone during that game and seeing what happened, and you know, I saw it was bottom of the ninth, you know, a couple of strikeouts or a couple outs and faces loaded, and so I had to put my phone away. I went to hit my shot and then pulled the phone back out like five minutes later on the grid and it's a game over, and you know, to see that, you know, update on my phone, but not the actual play was crazy, kind of like freaked out in the middle of my round. But I was able to see the highlights afterwards, which was super cool.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's a unique story from a very unique lifestyle. US Open champion JJ Spawn is our guest. All right, since you are a big Dodger fan, would you mind answering a question for the all time LA Dodger home run leader Eric Carross.
Speaker 9: Are you good with that?
Speaker 15: Yeah, of course, not a problem.
Speaker 8: He sent me a text he wants to know what your go to calm yourself before a huge shot or putt.
Speaker 9: Is Is there a song? Is there a verse?
Speaker 8: Is there a saying how do you calm yourself down in that big moment like you did in the US Open.
Speaker 15: Yeah, great question. I think the best thing for me to for me to approach big pressure shots or putts is I like to tell myself that I've done this a million times, Like whether it's a t shot, you know, I've hit a million of these tea shots. I've hit a million of these three. I can't say I've hit a million sixty four footers and made them, but but I have, you know, done everything in between. And I think kind of putting that mindset, you know, before you hit your shot and kind of helps you get into your routine and kind of you know, thumbs down the moment of how how big of a moment it is, and takes a lot of the pressure off by just saying you've done this millions of times, because you know, whether it's practice or other tournaments beforehand. The best thing to do is just think of it as another swing and another shot, kind of like you know Freddy, you know he had to hit it, he hit that Grand Slam, but I'm sure he's up there thinking, yeah, this is a huge moment, but it's just another at bat.
Speaker 9: No doubt.
Speaker 8: That's how you got to keep yourself in the moment, be where your feet are and JJ spawn certainly did that a couple of weeks ago winning the US Open.
Speaker 9: Can't wait to see you at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 12: JJ.
Speaker 8: All the best to you between then and now, and who knows you may see JJ spawn somewhere earned San Dimas.
Speaker 9: Between then as well. Thanks a lot for the time, JJ appreciate it of course.
Speaker 15: David, Yeah, thanks for having me on and go Dodgers.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, JJ Spahn joining us before the game, sharing that conversation with you, the US Open champion and a local kid that grew up loving the Dodgers. Awesome to have him on the show, and I found out a few different things there where he really dove into his fandom during the camp Ethier days and he has a personal relationship with Mookie Betts. How about that for JJ spawn and the schedules haven't lined up for him and the Dodgers for him to come out to Dodger Stadium and throw out a first pitch, But my understanding is that will happen later in the year when it all lines up. In case he missed any of that conversation or you want to share it, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app and thanks to our guy, Steve Brenner, the best PR man and best guy out there for the Dodgers and Brenner. Sweichel appreciates Steve Brenner connecting us with JJ Spahn. Eight six sixe eight seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 9: We are in a rain delay.
Speaker 8: The Dodgers leading the Rockies two to nothing in the top of the sixth inning with two outs. The Dodgers are still hitting and Taoscar Hernandez will be at the plate with Max Munsey at first base when play resumes.
Speaker 9: Good news.
Speaker 8: The heavy rain has moved out of downtown Denver. The tarp is off the field. They just dumped a lot of water off the tarp in shallow left field. It looked like a river when they first did, but right now this field is really absorbing well and it's pretty much all gone. Hear the cheers in the background. The grounds crew here at Corusfield rolling up that tarp as they get ready to play ball. So that's good news. Eight six six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We still do not have a start time on when the Dodgers and Rockies will resume play. The first five innings were only an hour. We were cruising right along because there wasn't a lot of scoring. But the rain obviously has ruined those plans. And tomorrow a day game on Getaway Day, Kershaw Day. Clayton Kershaw on the mound for the Dodgers, just eight strikeouts away from three thousand in his Hall of Fame career, Kershaw will join eventually Steve Carlton, C. C. Sabathia, and Randy Johnson as the only lefties in baseball history to record three thousand career strikeouts. Let's go back out to the phones, Mark in la You're on Dodger Talk with David Vase.
Speaker 9: Hi. Mark, Hi, Dave, how you doing doing great?
Speaker 3: Send some of that rain over here we need in La.
Speaker 9: Hey.
Speaker 12: You have a big question for you.
Speaker 3: I haven't heard very many people talk about them. I'm firing these balls and strikes and we see it hitting the lines and whatnot. And I go back to the last time your model pitch where he pitched six pitches, struck out two guys, and he had the first two strikes on the next batter and he and the next pitch went right down the middle in between the box a little maybe an inch higher. But Stevie Wonder could have called that a strike. I mean he could have seen that one. And I mean, what happens to these umpires? Doesn't somebody go over it and give these guys like talking to like what are you looking at? I mean, well, that's the thing they're being great that it's it's horrendous.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't go that far, Mark, And I'm not a guy that goes after umpires and that's the reason why you win or lose the game. But yeah, sometimes it's really egregious. And here's something for you to know and everybody else to know. The box you see on TV and even on game day on MLB dot com, that's not the accurate strike zone.
Speaker 9: It's close, but it's not. That's not the strike zone.
Speaker 8: I've been told that countless times by umpires, by umpires supervisors, and a lot of those umpires would love for that box to not even be shown on TV because that's not the actual strike zone.
Speaker 3: How far is it from from the real one.
Speaker 8: I mean, uh yeah, I would say it's in the vicinity, but it's not the strike zone. I mean, do you see it ever move when the height of a batter changes.
Speaker 9: I never see it move. It's the same box.
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, that's true. Yeah, I gotta give you that, that's true.
Speaker 8: But I'm just saying, so just keep that in mind when it's a look, hey, hey, let me tell you this, Mark, If it's a borderline pitch on that box you're seeing on TV, the chances are it's borderline and it can go either way. Now, if it's two baseballs away or a full baseball outside of that box, you may have an argument. But I just think you all should remember that the box on TV is not the accurate strike zone.
Speaker 5: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 12: I thought it was I thought it was right.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 12: That's good, and I know I'll get it.
Speaker 3: Because the batter's collar and small, you know, collar and the shorter. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm with you. I'm with you. I think we all believe that, but it's not the case. So, uh good.
Speaker 8: I'm glad you brought that up. Thanks for the phone call, Mark, appreciate it. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. We just got an update from the umpiring crew that this game will resume between the Dodgers and Rockies. At eight twenty Pacific time, nine to twenty mountains. So between now and then more Dodger talk with you and me. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Washington. Branson listening on the iHeartRadio app. How you doing Branson?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 18: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 9: My pleasure. What's going on up there in Washington state? Where are you pulling that much?
Speaker 18: I am actually southwest Washington, about an hour north of Portland, Oregon. Not a bandwagoner, I swear my cousin Jason Schmidt. You know, he retired a Dodgers, So when he retired I just stuck with him.
Speaker 9: And uh, yeah, you don't.
Speaker 8: Those of us that have been around you don't need to remind us. So Jason Schmidt is.
Speaker 12: Oh I am aware.
Speaker 18: You know you google his name as a Dodger and uh it's not the articles you want to see, but awesome here and you talked to JJ too from the US Open and funny Kershaw memory. Obviously Kershaw's first start two thousand and eight, he accidentally put Jason's jersey on and walked out there for the anthem and didn't realize it and it's kind of funny, but.
Speaker 9: That's right.
Speaker 18: I remember, Yeah, So yeah, I wanted to talk about Suarez getting suspended and the.
Speaker 8: Roberts there who hit show heo tany last week?
Speaker 19: All right, go ahead, yeah, And obviously you know I'm super back in the Dodgers, but it's hard not to see a little bit of favoritism towards Showhay potentially from the MLB.
Speaker 18: We see people get hit a lot, right, And why was it four as I got picked for that? You know, he see the MLB reduced.
Speaker 8: To the game went He went up by the shoulders, above the shoulders, and it was intentional.
Speaker 9: That's why that's true.
Speaker 18: We did see him get intentionally hit the day before. Now that was obviously more in the leg, but I could see that.
Speaker 8: And that was the game policing the game, because the umpires allowed the.
Speaker 9: Teams to police themselves.
Speaker 8: Nothing took place after that, and I had an issue with it too, Branson. Quite honestly, Randy Vasquez took two pitches to hit O'tani in the lake. The unwritten rule is you only get one shot, and he got two. So you know, if I'm an umpire, I'm throwing him out after that second one because he had his shot.
Speaker 18: Yeah, and Machado was like, well, what were the warnings for on that, you know, on that one and.
Speaker 8: When he got hit by when Jose and I Gleasias got hit on the hand. Yeah, that was a fair argument by Machado, but I'm glad the umpires realized that there was no intent there. But if you're going to issue warnings, you better stick by it.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I'm just scurious on your thoughts on that suspension, if it was overkilled or not or why you know the.
Speaker 8: I guess now the consensus was it was the right amount of games and whatever the undisclosed fine was, but come on, it was a three to zero count with two outs and he didn't even go below the waist.
Speaker 9: He hit him close to the head, Branson, and.
Speaker 18: It was we're all happy to see show hey get up for sure, and glad it wasn't.
Speaker 8: A little higher exactly. Thank you for the phone call, Branson appreciated. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. By the way, Suarez uh was able to appeal his suspension. I'm not sure where that stands right now, but I'm not sure if he served it or not. Oh, he reduced it to one game. Rick Monday just uh, it was reduced to one by so it's two games. Thank you, thank you, headset on couldn't hear eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is.
Speaker 9: The phone number?
Speaker 8: Van Eyes, Andrew, you're on Dodger Talk. Yeah, so Suarez suspension reduced by one game.
Speaker 9: It was a two game suspension. How you doing, Andrew?
Speaker 12: Good yourself?
Speaker 9: Great?
Speaker 20: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I was just wondering, do you think that Hersha will be the last three thousand strikeout?
Speaker 5: Picture we see.
Speaker 15: Whether that's right handed or left handed.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's a great question, Andrew.
Speaker 9: I really hope not.
Speaker 8: But the way starting pitchers are being taken out of games these days and not allowed to face the lineup more than twice through, I mean, it's gonna be a challenge for a lot of guys.
Speaker 5: All right, So we're with with witnessing history right now.
Speaker 12: This might be the last one.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean for a while at least.
Speaker 8: Right I don't know who else is that close to three thousand strikeouts that might have a chance. You know, I'm looking up Chris right now as we speak. He has twenty five hundred and twenty eight strikeouts. I mean there's an outside chance he could possibly get it if he stays healthy. So yeah, this could be the last one for a while.
Speaker 9: Yep, thank you, all right. I'm glad you use your blinker when you make turns going left or right.
Speaker 8: Hey, yes, I do Land, Okay, Andrew be safe. Thanks for a phone call. Eight sixty six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 9: Dodgers and Rockies in a rain delay game will resume.
Speaker 8: At eight twenty Pacific time, nine to twenty Mountain time, and unfortunately for both teams, the starting pitchers are going to be out of this game. Yoshi Yamamoto went five scoreless innings tonight with six strikeouts. His night is over, and Chase Dolander for the Rockies was dominating the Dodger lineup. It was unfortunate for Dolander and the Rockies that rain affected a pop up, a routine pop up for the second basement Thyro Estrada. That would have been the third out of the sixth Inny for Dolelander, but instead Estrada lost it in the rain, ball dropped two runs scored rushing in o'tone to give the Dodgers a two nothing lead, but I guess that's the way things are going for the Rockies, who are eighteen and sixty one on the season. Let's go out to Ohio. Jeff, listening on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Hi, Jeff, Yeah, thank you for taking about call, David. I just wanted to call and say how much I enjoy your broadcast tonight. The shows that you do, the broadcasters on the radio. You know, ever since I get to watch the TV broadcast, the Dodgers are a one. I think it. It feeds down from the time when Ben was there. You know, I'm an old timer. I'm in my sixties now, so I loved all the old time announcers to Ben scullyes, that Ernie Harwells and and that Jack Bucks and then broadcasters that's who I brought up with. We was fortunates Cincinnati to have Al Michaels for three years and and uh so we've seen some good ones. But I just want to call him say that how much I enjoyed the broadcast. That's really not keep my FX radio just to listen to Dodgers night.
Speaker 8: That's awesome. Jeff, were you a Marty Brenneman fan as well.
Speaker 10: Not as much as a Michael stand because I was I was really disciplinsing Michael's lee. So maybe that Brenneman he I was all right with Marty, but Marty was never my favorite in Cincinnati. I mean, like I said, I'm a big al Michaels fan. Uh you know, I'm still my Al Michael's fan. And when they when they trash him about his football broadcast, I don't like that very well. But also I want to tell you I did tell your producer that when the Dodgers come to town, I'm a big Rick Mundy fan. I was back in the day, and I'd like to try to reach out to him when he's in town. So if yours anyway, then maybe I.
Speaker 9: Could get Rick to put on the headset right now.
Speaker 8: Since you're such a big fan of his, Rick, are you free to have a fan in Ohio tell you how much of a fan he is of yours.
Speaker 9: He's putting on the headset for you.
Speaker 8: Jeff hold On, Jeff in Ohio, an old school baseball fan, listen to Al Michaels rick broadcast Reds game, and he said, you're a big He's a big fan of yours.
Speaker 1: Al Michaels, an Arizona State Sun devil who used to be right behind home plate and do the Arizona State baseball games.
Speaker 9: Hey, here's your chance, Jeff in Ohio. That's Rick Monday, right.
Speaker 10: You played for Ron Dado.
Speaker 9: No I did not.
Speaker 1: I played for Bobby Winckles.
Speaker 19: No.
Speaker 1: Dato was at University of Soun of California, was a Trojan. No. I played at Arizona State for Bobby Winkles.
Speaker 10: Okay, all right, Bobby Winkles, y'all remember that name. But anyway, I was telling him the producer, I'd like to like to maybe meet you in Cincinnati when you come.
Speaker 8: This is the closest you're getting to meeting him. I just made it happen for you. You are meeting him right now.
Speaker 9: Well, we'll be there.
Speaker 1: I think I'm making the trip, and I have no idea what our schedule is going to be. But I will be there, and somehow, some way, we will we will lock eyes on one another somehow, someway.
Speaker 9: Jeff, this is way better than meeting him in person.
Speaker 10: Is there any way that I can reach out to you through the Dodgers or anything?
Speaker 8: No, you just reached out to him. I got him on the headset for you. You are reaching out to Rickman.
Speaker 1: Jeff, I don't even know when we're in Cincinnati, but he can send something to the Dodgers and to be forwarded to me. I guess that would work out good.
Speaker 9: All right, Jeff, Hey, well we got it a lot.
Speaker 1: We're still trying to Yeah, we're still trying to dry off our score books and hey everything else.
Speaker 8: It's like I served your lobster and now you want caveat Jeff.
Speaker 1: Great talking to yourself.
Speaker 10: Well, stay with the lobster. I'll keep the lobster. I'll like the gak you all.
Speaker 8: All right, Thank you, Thank you, Jeff. Thanks for doing that. Rick appreciate it. I try to be a dream maker again, you know. I try to make dreams come true. But sometimes people want more. They want seconds and thirds. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers and Rockies in a rain delay top of the sixth inning with two outs.
Speaker 9: Two are in for the Dodgers.
Speaker 8: Next months, he will be at first base and taoscar Hernandez will be at the plate when play resumes at eight, twenty Pacific time. Let's go out to Van Eyes, the home of Don Drysdale. Erin you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing erin?
Speaker 1: Goodhead?
Speaker 5: Thank you for taking my Paul David, let me ask you a question.
Speaker 8: No hold on, no, no, no, we're not viewers, we're listeners. Number one, number two did you just hear me make dreams come true with Jeff and Ohio? But he wasn't satisfied, So I hope you don't make the same mistake.
Speaker 4: I was literally just about to say that I am doing your listeners, not viewers. My apologies that I will not be time to do stock Rick Monday anywhere in the new year.
Speaker 21: Two.
Speaker 9: Okay, well we appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm sure Rick does as well.
Speaker 9: Jeez.
Speaker 4: Anyway, my question was, is that with Max Munkey on such a good tear lately, considering that he does usually have a slow start typically every season, what is your thoughts on whether the Dodgers will keep him and resign.
Speaker 12: Them since this is his last season, or let.
Speaker 4: Him go the way of Walker Bueler and try and get a better offer.
Speaker 8: Man, that's so far down the line, erin, so much could happen between now and then. But I mean, we have said goodbye to a lot of guys that have a piece of Dodger fans hearts because of what they'd done with the team and in the postseason. I hope Max plays the rest of his career with the Dodgers, but that's to be determined after the season.
Speaker 4: Sure, sure, but just with them, you know, going younger with some of these other positions. Wondering because Max isn't getting at a younger and I love the guy, he's great, but you know, just wondering if they're looking toward like a younger option as they go forward.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the younger option would probably be some form of Alex Freeland, who's doing a great job at Oklahoma City. But it's hard to hand a job over like that to a young player. So I could actually and and Max has already done this. He has taken a discount to stay with the Dodgers the last two years. He wants to remain with the Dodgers, so you know, he will do everything on his end to be able to work with the team, to make it work for the Dodgers and play whatever role they need him to play.
Speaker 5: I hope. So I really do.
Speaker 4: And then just finally, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 8: You know, hold on one one thing before you go on to your next point. It's kind of ironic that we have a caller like you calling in now asking about how can the Dodgers keep Max Muncie when all I heard for the first three months of the season is how Tea, how everybody wanted Max month'sy out of town?
Speaker 9: How do you explain that.
Speaker 4: At least a little lot of fair Weather fans that just like success and when they don't get success, they want to go to the next best thing.
Speaker 8: So you weren't one of those guys that wanted Monthly out after the first two months of the year.
Speaker 4: I was not, no, because I know that he always turns the course, he turns the tide, and he turns it on in October.
Speaker 8: All right, eron fair enough? What else did you have?
Speaker 4: And my last question for you, David was Yamamoto. Do you still think he's in cy young talk? Considering how his seasons been going and the tough rakes he's been getting, especially in the win loss and you know, not getting run support.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think he's in the conversation. I wouldn't rule him out completely. But this month of June hasn't helped his case, I'll put it that way.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't think so. Yeah, I'd love to see him, you know, turn it around and the Dodgers actually score a couple of runs when he's on the mound. But you know, looking to do that's baseball. Every year seems like one pitcher's gotta take it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and also he hasn't pitched well consistently at that cy young level like he did at the beginning the first two months of the year.
Speaker 9: So you know it's.
Speaker 8: Gonna be with with how much attention Paul Skeens gets, you're gonna have to be over the top outstanding to get the votes over Paul Skins.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very true, very true. Well, thank you, David. I appreciate you time, and once again on please stell rip Monday. My letter is not in.
Speaker 8: The mail, Okay, Aaron, thanks a lot for the phone call. Rick appreciates that. By the way, when you look at the top pitchers starting pitchers in the National League this year, Paul Skeens has an.
Speaker 9: ERA of two twelve.
Speaker 8: He already has one hundred and ten strikeouts and one hundred and six innings Zach Wheeler is a workhorse as well. Ninety nine innings, he has one hundred and twenty six strikeouts. Chris Sale, who was last year's Cy Young Winner, is doing it again. Fifteen starts, eighty nine innings, one hundred and fourteen strikeouts. So those three guys have had a better year than Yamamoto to date. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're going to be handing things back to Rick Monday and Tim Neverett in about fifteen minutes, so we'll take your phone calls until then.
Speaker 9: Let's go back out to the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 8: And Bob in Minneapolis, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 11: Bob, Hey, David first, very cool interview with jj'spawn and really a humble guy, and I'm so happy that he's a Dodgers fan as well. Also wanted to just kind of reiterate with the great chef set in Ohio. My wife and I absolutely love your show, Your knowledge of the Dodgers, your insights are amazing. We listened to every podcast on Dodger Talk every single day, typically because you can roup got to bed, but really loved your show, and then lastly, our Freddy Freeman moment. I had a chance to go to the game, turned it down. My son from La flew to meet us in Chicago, where we were living at the time, and my other son from Chicago was there and the corpus watched.
Speaker 5: The game and it was incredible.
Speaker 11: It reminded me of the Gibe moment, which I was also remember very dearly as well.
Speaker 4: So anyway, great to talk with you.
Speaker 11: Keep up the great work and have a good.
Speaker 8: Evening, all right, Bob, thank you for sharing that memory. That's such a special moment for Dodger fans everywhere wherever you were when Freddy Freeman hit his walk off grand Slam in Game one of the twenty four World Series.
Speaker 9: You know, I was a kid in the San Fernando.
Speaker 8: Valley watching Game one of the eighty eight World Series, the Big Bad and Mighty A's that had Jose Conseco hit a grand Slam in that game off of Tim Belcher. At that time, no l phones or pagers, just our house phone, and a lot of people knew how big of a Dodger fan I was at eleven or twelve years old, and they were calling the house just pouring salt into the wound. As we were getting into the ninth inning of that game, and I had the last lap after Kirk Gibson hit that walk off home run against Dennis eckers Lee, one of the more improbable home runs in Major League Baseball history.
Speaker 9: That's for sure.
Speaker 8: Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, just as Vince Scully called it.
Speaker 9: In a season that was.
Speaker 8: So improbable, the impossible happened that night at Dodger Stadium, October fifteenth, nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 9: Let's go out to Hawaii, Cheryl. Aloha, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Cheryl?
Speaker 20: Hey, we just want to change some nice Hawaiian sunshine to you folks over there so we can resume the game.
Speaker 9: Love it. Yeah, it's gonna happen in about fifteen minutes, So thank you. Are you running in that? You always have sunshine?
Speaker 20: Kind of.
Speaker 9: At least you're honest. That was That was a humble brad, Cheryl. I have a friend like you.
Speaker 20: I live by the beach, so you know.
Speaker 9: Oh man making me jealous.
Speaker 8: If things work out, maybe I'll be there for the All Star break, Cheryl.
Speaker 20: Oh sounds good. Give us a holler, and then we'll cook you some good local food.
Speaker 9: Oh I love it, Cheryl. Thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 8: We got ten minutes before we hand things over to Rick Monday and Tim Neverett.
Speaker 9: And since we just.
Speaker 8: Had Cheryl from Hawaii call in and Kershaw's pitching tomorrow with eight strikeouts to go until he gets three thousand in his career, I'm gonna let you in on a huge dilemma I have right now. A few months ago, I had flights, flight credits. I mean, during the off season, I booked this trip. I wanted to get a head start on the All Star breaks, so taking the final two games of the first half off and was going to take my family because I had the flight credits. I had a little extra cash in my pocket for the Disney Alawani Hotel during the All Star break.
Speaker 9: But here's the dilemma.
Speaker 8: And I haven't told my wife about this dilemma. Hopefully she's not listening right now and doesn't podcast. Kershaw eight strikeouts away from three thousand in his career. If he doesn't get to three thousand tomorrow or in his next start, the next opportunity would be Saturday, likely in San Francisco. If that was the case, I would have to tell the family Hawaii's a no go. And I haven't told Kershaw this because he's got his kids on this trip. He's got a lot going on. My issues are not his issues. My job requirements are not his issues. But I need three thousand strikeouts by the next start that he makes.
Speaker 9: So that's my dilemma.
Speaker 8: Maybe one of you can make the phone Maybe Rick, here we go, my guy, Rick Monday. Maybe Rick Monday can make the phone call to my wife to let her know Hawaii has been postponed. If Kershaw is knocking on this door still for three thousand, that's Saturday before the All Star break. Maybe Rick Monday, with his smooth, consoling voice, can soften the blow. If that were the case, she'll send me a postcard. Hey, fair enough. I would take that. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Southgate, Chris. What do you think about my dilemma?
Speaker 9: Chris?
Speaker 8: You think Kershaw is going to help me out and get three thousand and either tomorrow or his next start.
Speaker 9: I hope.
Speaker 12: So that would be great.
Speaker 9: Well, that's not very convincing.
Speaker 22: Chris, Well, you know I called to thank you and Jose Motive when you give updates about those's dad, because I was at a Manny Motive game when I was a punk kid of eight or nine years old when he got the record and he broke a career leader at that time and seventy eight or seventy nine. So that's a really good memory that I have as a kid being at that game and seeing that happen. So when you give updates on how he's doing and recovering, yes, it's a great thing when.
Speaker 21: And thinking back to those days. You know, I remember that, you know, the infield, the one that stayed together for seventy nine years or so with Gargy Lopes, with Russell and say and I have a question and I'll take it off. Yeah. Is there an equivalent after that?
Speaker 9: No, No, there is no equivalent to that. No, there isn't.
Speaker 8: I mean, that is so unique that with free agency now, Chris, we will never see it again, that's for sure. Thanks for the phone call, Chris, appreciated just seeing Justin Robleski and Will kleinb.
Speaker 9: Go out to the bullpen.
Speaker 8: Maybe they're gonna warm up for the bottom of the sixth inning because Yamamotos night's over, and certainly for the Rockies, Chase Dolanders night is over. Taoscar Hernandez is getting his betting gloves on, getting ready to take his at bat as we get closer to resuming this game. Top of the sixth inning with two outs, two in the Dodgers leading two to nothing, with Max Muncy at first base, Rick Monday and Tim Neverett standing by for the call coming up at eight twenty Pacific time, Let's go out to Ron and Camillo. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: How you doing.
Speaker 13: I'm doing fantastic. How about you guys?
Speaker 9: Hey, we want baseball to get going. What's going on?
Speaker 13: All right? All right, well listen. I'm a third generation Dodger fans, born Dodger Blue. I'll start with my father. He was in the same class as Don Gresville at Danny High School. He was a quainting great and met him long after. And I was born in fifty fifth and raised on the Big Blue wrecking crew. I was at the game where the fourth Dodger hit their thirtieth home run and by hitting two of them, and I believe that was Reggie Smith or Dusty Baker, one of the two.
Speaker 9: Dusty Baker hit.
Speaker 8: His thirtieth home run on the last day of the regular season back in nineteen seventy seven to give the Dodgers the first quartet of teammates to hit thirty.
Speaker 13: I was at that game with my mom and.
Speaker 9: That's where the high five was born with Glynn Burke.
Speaker 13: There you go, There you go, and.
Speaker 9: Hey, there we go. Run. I got a run. I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number we got Dodger Baseball right around the corner. And before we turn things over to Rick Monday and Tim Nevertt again, just want to send out congratulations to former Dodger hitting coach and should be Hall of Famer Mark McGuire because it was announced today Mark McGuire is going to be inducted into the College Baseball Hall of Fame. Little known fact about Mark McGuire. He was recruited by Rod Dato to be a pitcher for USC, and in fact, McGuire pitched the first two years of college baseball at USC. He had an ERA of two ninety three and eighty three career innings as a reliever and a starter. He struck out fifty seven batters and he had two saves with a record of seven and five.
Speaker 9: How about that.
Speaker 8: In his USC career, Mark McGuire hit fifty four home runs and had a seven eighteen career slugging percentage. So congratulations to Mark McGuire, deserving honor to be inducted into College Baseball's Hall of Fame. As the Dodgers and Rockies get set for first pitch here at Corsfield or resuming play, we already had first pitch. We're getting ready to resume play here at Corsfield. The players are stretching, getting their sprints in, and Taascar Hernandez is getting ready to come to the plate with two outs and the top of the sixth inning with a two to nothing lead, and the Dodgers are very happy that Chase Dolander is out of this game because they had.
Speaker 9: No answers for him.
Speaker 8: They were able to get a gift two run single by Max Munsey due to the rain and thyro Estrada not being able to see because the rain was in his eyes. And in case you like to check the out of town scoreboard, top of the sixth inning in San Francisco, the Marlins are tied with the Giants two to two against Logan Web.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Logan Web.
Speaker 8: Is on the mound for the Giants, and they're tied two to two. And the Padres, by the way, held on to beat the Washington Nationals today one to nothing. The Padres are five games back of the Dodgers in the NL West, and right now as we speak, the Giants are four and a half games back of the Dodgers in the NL West, the Arizona Diamondbacks eight games back, and these Rockies eighteen and sixty one, thirty and a half games back of your Los Angeles Dodgers in the NL West, on pace to break last year's White Sox record of losses in a season. Last year, the White Sox lost one hundred and twenty one. This year, the Rockies are on pace to lose one hundred and twenty five. All Right, that'll do it for us. On rain Delay Dodger Talk. In case you missed any of the show, you can podcast it on the iHeart Radio app. You can also listen live on the stream, and you can preset Dodger Talk on your iHeart radio app.
Speaker 9: The new improved iHeartRadio.
Speaker 8: App also our conversation our interview with US Open champion JJ Spawn. You can find that there as well. Coming up around the Corner, Rick Monday, Tim Neverritt. They will have the call as play resumes here at Coors Field between the Dodgers and Rockies with the Dodgers leading two to nothing in the top of the sixth inning with two outs. Munsey at first, Teoscar Hernandez at the place.
Speaker 9: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 8: More Dodger baseball around the Corner with Rick and Tim coming up next right here on the World Champion Dodgers Audio Network
Speaker 6: WO