Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game Mess Mornings presented by Deku Deals with Me. Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com, Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're going to be talking about one of the best reviewed games of the year. Yes, another one, and a much requested future comes to steam Deck. We'll get into all that soon. It's going to be a good one because we have John Clark on the show. John, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: Oh good man. This is a privileged first for me. You'd like to be here because I have very fond memories you. You like, took us under your wing when we were first starting out, and that's hard to do in this industry. So it's always nice to be able to return the favor and be a voice and say hello to the giant bomb community and obviously the xboxerier community. Bid you good wishes, wishes.
Speaker 3: You will, so, yeah, we appreciate it as always.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a guy that was years and years and I was in Colorado then, so quite some time ago. Yeah, you guys are doing well, happy.
Speaker 3: To see it.
Speaker 1: How are things in the You guys describe yourself as console specific, but you guys try not to be fanboy Warriors.
Speaker 3: What's the take over there on that side of the face right now.
Speaker 2: It's Microsoft have made it wonderfully easy for the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 2: It's a great time for everyone involved. The media industry, I think is going through its own changes. Like I'm sure you've had plenty of conversations with fellow guests and other people in this space. It's hard out there, like unless you want to descend upon clickbait, seo garbage that no one enjoys doing. Like, no one on the team likes writing this stuff. There's no creative output, there's no fun in it. But the reality is to stay alive, you have to dabble a little bit. And we think we're finding a nice balance. But what we're really focusing on is making stuff for the people that play on that platform, because I think, you know, speaking candidly, it isn't everybody's favorite platform, right, but there is a contingent of millions of players out there that still play there. But equally, as Microsoft are transitioning in this weird way that they're doing that feels woefully disorganized into everything, there's kind of like there's two coins, right we've talked about rebranding. Do we change names ort of that. Are the Xbox Faithful you know, going to take that as a sign of defeat or is it an opportunity for us to just cover more or is everything going to be great because in the end, everything is going to be everywhere, so kind of it doesn't really matter what we're called. I don't know how that's all going to shake out. We're still figuring it out. But it's certainly an adventure and it's fun. Yeah, it's it's it's a challenge, especially as it's my sole job, but I love doing it right and they're the passion still there and we still get to do cool stuff like do you remember the book we did, Like yeah, of course four years ago, five years ago. It's out in retail today.
Speaker 3: Whoa, really, we've got it, published the book and then get it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like if people didn't know this, hold on a second, look, I want to wheel gracefully backwards.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely, grab it. Uh, this is a they did a lot of work on this.
Speaker 2: It was we did we did this right and this is the super duper fancy version and this is for your expots out there that bleed green. Right, this isn't what it looks like at retail. I'm sorry to say, because this book costs a lot. But we made a book all about the original Xbox console and the games and all of that jazz. You can see. It's like embossed, and it's for collectors. It's a coffee table book. It's full of really lovely art and every game ever released, all of that jazz. But we got got picked up via some publishing deal and it's come out in retail in a much cheaper way, so people can go pick it up. But it's out Amazon. I don't think it's available in the US until January.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well never mind. Still though that is that's very cool. It's excellent worker. You guys are always hustling trying to make stuff like that happen. I find that to be pretty inspiring. Yeah, And it's like to figure out what the future is going to look like. I don't think the people that get paid the most money in this industry have any idea what's going to happen next, and so I think we're all just kind of trying to follow their lead and realizing, oh, they don't know anything, and so it's making every decision we have to make a little bit more challenging as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look at the news run today. I won't spoil it, but like, oh, I guess some companies are all thinking along the same lines as we go forward now.
Speaker 1: So maybe they take different routes, but we kind of all end up in the same place. You're right, I was going to bring that up. We'll get to it, all right, let's explain ourselves. We're Giant Bomb Video Game Dofaces. Independent games. Media couldn't be more important. It's more important now than it ever has been to be independent out here because we can't rely on these corporations to do anything that make any sense.
Speaker 3: So you got to put your money where your mouth is.
Speaker 1: A lot of you have done that and supported us by going to giant bomb dot com slash join and becoming premium members. It has provided us with a strong foundation and backbone to keep doing the cool stuff that we like to do. And if you want to see more of it, you can also support us by going to giant bomb dot com slash join become a premium member. If you do that, there's some goodies you get extra all the ad free shows. But I'm gonna start doing a new version of grub Snacks here. I'm going to try to get something out here in the next week or two, and then we'll just start that once a week. It'll be a small little bonus where I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to kind of like pick a question that you all propose to.
Speaker 1: Me and riff on it for ten to fifteen minutes, maybe while I'm driving home from dropping my kids off at school in the morning or something like that.
Speaker 3: There's other stuff coming.
Speaker 1: Look, apparently because we reached all our goals at the Bomatons, so there's a lot of stuff in the works. And that's again all possible because you went to giant bomb dot com slash join. As far as this show goes, most weekdays, I Jeff Greb willhelp piece you're gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. You are watching live on twitch Welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with Arc Graders' reviews. You know, this is a game that was kind of it came out a little bit ago. Now it's you know, a live game, so reviews are still kind of trickling in. It has a ninety three on Open Critic. Was ninety four now just kind of down to ninety three. It is one of the best reviewed games of the year. I think people are pointing out might be actually be like tied for the best reviewed game of the year something like that. Either way, this is these are all kind of glowing reviews for the most part. It got a nine out of ten from Mark Delaney at GameSpot, who says Arc Graders is an extraction shooter unlike any other, playing out like a totally unpredictable, immersive, thrilling story generator directed by the community, as a nine out of ten from Aaron Bain at Push Square, who says Arc Raiders has well and truly been worth the weight. This is a phenomenal showcase of what immersive multiplayer can be. Every run is different, and what your squad will come out with the story. Your squad will come out with stories each time. It could be tougher on those planning to play solo, and the extraction loop won't be for everyone. But as far as extraction shooters go, this is the one. This is one of the most successible and it respects your time, giving you a fun experience from your first match, and then a six out of ten from Eric Hodges at Tryhard Guides, who says Art Graders seems to be a good contender for the extraction shooter genre, offering solid, if familiar genre gameplay and a unique aesthetic. However, overpriced to monetization plagues this already pay to play title, and as something of a tourist to the extraction shooter genre, I can't personally say that Art Greators does anything too different or exciting, proving to be an inoffensive experience, albeit one that failed to win me over. I've played a little bit of this, and I gotta say I think I'm beginning to feel the itch. There's a couple things that happened. John I went in there, star Plane, I was like, okay, I do like the aesthetic. I think this is a cool looking sci fi sort of setting that's like somewhere between a seventies a sci fi novel and Titan Fall, kind of in that range. Those are my touchstones that there's probably people who are genre. Yeah, yeah, And then I started, Okay, I like looking at it. Shooting feels good, and I like just kind of like adding the quests and seeing the things that I needed to pick up and going into the world and then going back to my base.
Speaker 3: It was like, oh, yeah, this is just a new.
Speaker 1: Form of upgrading my weapons and my character in like Call of Duty four, it's like a more immersive version of that. And then because you can go into this world and it's PvP VE and most people most of the time are focused on the VE part of that, the versus the computer players and trying to take out the the mechs and stuff like that, it creates the arcs. It creates this opportunity for all these interesting interactions between people, and I'm just like, oh, you know what, that sounds like a good way to spend my time. So I am being one over by this, how about you?
Speaker 2: I was invited to the they called it the Final Preview, but I said, look, I've played, I don't know. I played something like twenty hours in the beta. I played another ten in the service Slam. I played an additional four for this preview event, and I was like, I don't want to do twice the work here. I'm going to write this as a review and progress is that okay? And I said yeah, and I equally like, just at that point, I've played enough. I know what this is. And I will quote myself because it's easier than coming up with something off the cuff. It's an extraction shooter that's purposely built for hardcore players, yet is surprisingly accessible for a newbie. It's thematically dystopian, so it's you know, post apocalyptic and machines have taken over the world. The world is screwed. Yeah, it's beautiful. It's full of color and vividness and brightness, and it's tense and it's thrilling and it can be downright terrifying. But it's also full of the the endearing moments that I haven't experienced since the early days of Seer Thieves, Like where you've got these player emergent moments? Yeah, you just but I've pumped in. I'm addicted. I haven't been this addicted to a video game since Blueprints earlier this year, where I am like obsessed, I wake up thinking about it. Playing solo is a friendlier experience if if there are people watching right now, they're like, h PvP other humans gross totally get it. In Solo, surprisingly, you'll find that most people will team up and you'll encounter the odd douchebag, but for the most part, that's where the emergent things happen.
Speaker 1: The douchebag makes the fact that most people want to pair up even more meaningful to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, because when you do encounter that moment, Like I've had moments where I've been extracting and I'm on my own and there's been people waiting for me to drop down into the extraction shoot and then they're just gonna gun me down in the last moments, and I'm like, you jerks, how long have you waited?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 2: No life? But then equally, we've been that team. You know, I put often players three and you go out as a squad and you yeah, that's where it gets sweaty. But you get these wonderful combat encounters where you can choose to run, you might pull it out of the bag and then you're looting, and then someone else will come and third party you. It's those emergent moments that are making this game kind of go big and go viral, but it's still nice and easies you in. It's I think they've done an incredible job. And I know there's some criticism about use of AI in the game.
Speaker 1: The voices specifically, I think for the characters are is some form of AI, Yeah, the speech for a while, but like, maybe this is more aggressive than that. I think there was someone mentioned, and I haven't looked into it, that they trained on real voice actors. If that's the case, that is that is a bit much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they hired voice actors that said, I am okay with doing this because they're a small team, right, And I think, like, I don't think AI is great. It bugs the hell out of me every time any of these giant companies bring it up, and I roll my eyes into the back of my head like everybody else. But there is elements in this that are super smart. Like, Okay, they're a small team, and if you're going to be tagging all these different things across all these maps, can they come up with a way where they don't have to hire everyone every time as they make a new map. And it's a life service game, they have they do you say to do that? That's a clever way, and the actors have agreed to it. So I don't know how mad we should get. But they also use and I'm not sure where I read this, and I'm maybe paraphrasing here, machine learning to dictate how the arc animate when you shoot off their turbines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like machine learning may Yeah, that's like that's like classic stuff at this point where early on when we were looking at machine learning, it was like, oh, yeah, we can like just build a three D model and let it run through its say hey, we want to go where you're running at like this speed, and then they can go through millions of federations in a few minutes and figure out a way to animate itself, like how it should walk. And it's like that that stuff I've always liked. I think that's a cool way to explore this. The you know this, it's not that small thet studio, I think they were two hundred and fifty people, like out of there it could tell yeah, sure, but but there certainly are a team that's kind of out there trying to like figure out ways to just save money to make this stuff makes sense long term. Now, this is a game that is going to be very successful, So at this point I would be like, hey, all those excuses early on, if we want to make sure that we're being cost effective, it's like, well, I don't know, pay the people.
Speaker 3: Let's just continue to pay the people.
Speaker 1: And all those grooments you made with those voice actors, maybe just bring them back because it's just actually better. It's better to have them there do it voice in person. So yeah, do do what right by those people, do right by your game. But I can't help but like the game so far, I think that it is mostly something that is. It does feel like it respects your time. Feels like it's like they thought about that stuff of like, oh, you have a life beyond this thing, and we want that for you, as opposed to some of the other entries in the genre, which everyone says it's like, oh yeah, this is going to have to become your whole personality is playing time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Like if you know, in the extraction shooter genre, you'll get wiped so that everyone gets reset after like a season whatever. To my knowledge, this is optional in our graders, So you can choose to you know, get some cool new cosmetics and all of this jazz if you choose to wipe and you have to start again, and you'll retain certain things, and they won't give you like I'm better than the other players type buffs, but you'll get I've got this exclusive you know whatever, because I am hardcore enough that I did all these things. So it's a smart way of approaching it. I'm curious to see what, you know, what next year brings. They've already got a road map out for from now until the end of the year. There's new maps, there's new machines to fight, there's new quests to go on. What's what's going to happen next, you know, and there's plenty of things that they could do. But the big thing that they're missing, Jeff, is beards. There's no beards in the game, and this is the post apocalypse. I need a beard.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make it doesn't make any sense. And I'm offending everywhere.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was that was the last thing that sort of won me over here was kind of talking to friend Christian who kind of shirped us through the game the other day when we stream it, and he mentioned he's like I finished all the missions, like wait what no, Like what do you mean like the dailies for today's like no, no, like this this season of stuff, like I kind of like did everything you're supposed to do?
Speaker 3: There's an end like that?
Speaker 1: To me, that's like that is more enticing the idea that I could see this through and then eventually they'll reset it and come up with like a new set of.
Speaker 3: Things you're supposed to do.
Speaker 1: But it's like, ah, I can work towards something and see a light at the end of the tunnel. Something about that clicked in my brain of making it feel like, okay, I curing it runs good on steam Deck. Running runs well on steam Deck, I should say, and that I could. It's like a fun experience solo queueing and you can actually get through this and see some sort of an end. I'm like, Okay. That combination of factors has has certainly made me more interested in playing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the world that they've built, unlike the mystery behind who are the arc? Why are they coming back down to the planet? You know, because this is set ecological disaster. The rise of AI, the rise of technology is all convert in humanity screwed. And now the people in the game, like your characters and the world around you, they don't really know what the arc is and exploring and pulling at that mystery thread of like, is there another set of humanity up there in the stars that are trying to take the planet back and they're using machines to do it? You know, do we get to go fight them at some point in the like, I don't know. Let's find out as a community together. That's super cool. And that the new map that's coming in December is unlocked via community interaction in some form. What that looks like yet again, I don't know, but I'm curious to find out.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Definitely definitely feels like it's lately combining a lot of the factors that have made a lot of other games work recently in a really smart way. The other game that got reviews, High Role Warriors, Age of Imprisonment in eighty one on Open Critic. It keeps like ticking up. It was like starting in the seventies. It was eighty when I looked last night, eighty one this morning. Seven out of ten from Richard Wakeling at game Spot, who says, a fish a.
Speaker 3: Few issue of fishues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, few issues hold it back, but High Roll Warriors Age of Imprisonment marks a high point for the spinoff series, iterating on its riotous hack and slash combat with depth and variety. Four point five stars from daily Mehr, who the author over there rights murdering millions of Moblins is simply a cathartic sensation you won't get in any other Zelda game, I suppose, other than the other Musso Zelo games. Is it mindless, yes, but still wholeheartedly satisfying, And then four stars from Jade King at the gamer who says, but this is still a Muso title, and it can only achieve so much within that framework without awkwardly bursting at the seams. With those restrictions in consideration, however, High Role Warriors Age of Imprisonment is a triumphant sequel that Zelda fans are going to adore. God, this is like a game where it's like, Okay, I suppose the best version of this idea with Zelda stuff, and that's the Zelda game that I stole, really love, and I love that setting, and you know this is in the past, I think, with Zelda being imprisoned, you know, before the events of Tiers of the Kingdom. I think that's right. I'm not exactly sure you're about right, You're about Oh, that sounds right to mean, that sounds good. But even the best version of that is only so appealing to me, especially when there's so many other games that could be playing. But I don't know, I kin kind of every day I wake up a little bit more likely to play this game.
Speaker 2: There's a certain addiction to these types of games right where it is like I think one reviewer used the word cathartic, because you know they're not they're not master, but they're not going to win a Game of the Year. But you can turn a certain part of your brain off and just sweep aside hundreds of enemies in one glorious swoop, and that that feels good. And I think that tickles a deeply regressive game a part of the brain in some form, which is why I saw one review I can't remember who wrote it, but they were like, I don't even know why these types of games exist, rubbish, And I'm like, well, clearly they keep existing for some time, because it does tickle that part of the brine to make people quite weirdly happy in a way.
Speaker 1: So it is like the most video game. Muso's always just been the most video game ass video game in a lot of ways, and a lot of times in my opinion too. It's detriment, but you know, if you're in the mood for it, this sounds like this one's gonna hit hard. And then of course there are people who just like this is their jam Dan's sister Kayla loves all the Muso games. I wonder if she's played the Zelda once though I know she likes Dynasty Warriors proper.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think this will continue to be the best selling take on Dynasty Warriors. People will show up for these games. I hope this is the last one that is Zelda, at least for now. If Nintendo and Tecmo are going to continue, Koey Techmo are going to continue working together on these, I hope they do something different next time. I still am kind of interested in the idea of a Mario Muso. I think that would be honestly, ma just punch a bunch of goombus.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you about this, because I swear we heard about this like two two something three years ago about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always been out there, it's been and I'm like, I hope it's real. I hope it's like just been like simmering in the background and Nintendo actually does end up doing it or something.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm still skeptical, but I would love to see it, or even like a pickman Musso just punching that thousand as a pickman, why not? Yeah, would be down for that. But let me punch your little plant guys. I love them, but I think it'd be funny to do that. All right, let's let's do this. We got plenty more headlines to get into, but let's take the break.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: You could skip out on this if you are a premium member. There's a premium version of the video show as well as the audio show.
Speaker 3: It skips out on these ads.
Speaker 1: But if you didn't do that real quick, we're going to go to these messages and we'll be back after that. Jan you taught me to overcome my fear of sharp objects. I want to teach you how to overcome your fear of saving money.
Speaker 3: No, I don't want to.
Speaker 4: I will only ever pay the manufactured suggested retail price.
Speaker 3: Stop.
Speaker 1: You don't have to live this way because now there's Dco Deals, the double D. That's right, Deco Deals is the best way to find deals on any major gaming platform or store.
Speaker 4: I don't want no bunk out of date coupon code grub.
Speaker 3: It's nothing like that.
Speaker 1: Deco Deals has both the hottest and the freshest deals updated constantly. It's also just added Steam support with a super simple page to find bundles for Steam code.
Speaker 4: Ooh, I just found the Missed and Riven Complete collection for eight dollars on Humble using Deco deals right now.
Speaker 1: I also use Dago deals to build and add and share wish list. You can even use it to keep track of your collection.
Speaker 4: You know what, I think we should all build some lists and host them on Deco deals dot com slash giant bomb.
Speaker 1: And if listeners go to Deco deals dot com slash giant bomb, they can vote to make us play a game on the November twenty first episode of Unprofessional Fridays.
Speaker 4: Learn more at Deco deals dot com slash giant bomb.
Speaker 1: All right, it's Game Mess Mornings. We're getting back into it, John Clark, jaf grub Here we Go. PlayStation Portal cloud streaming update launches today, including support for owned digital games. This is from Salramano at Gamatsu. Sony Interactive Entertainment will officially launch cloud streaming for PlayStation five games for PlayStation Portal today at six pm Pacific time that's nine pm Eastern, including new support for owned digital games. The company announced there's some details here, but basically it's like, there is a list of PlayStation games that will work if you own them and you want to stream them, stream them from the cloud, separate from any of.
Speaker 3: The PlayStation Now.
Speaker 1: I forget what they even called their their cloud streaming service. There is still that that still exists and that works. But now you can take a game like Astrobot apparently, and if you own that, you can stream that to your to your device over the internet.
Speaker 3: And hey, that's that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I think the the PlayStation Portal, John, is something that surprised Sony with how successful it was. I think it also informed them that hey, the is a spot in the market where you or maybe missing something because you were no longer doing something like the Vita. So I think that's why they are internally considering doing a handheld or something for the PS six.
Speaker 3: But whatever.
Speaker 1: For now, PlayStation Portal is something that a lot of people are very happy with. It seems like a slick device. I use my steam Deck to stream clouds or just to stream PlayStation games, but I don't think I can do this cloud stream and stuff. I guess I'll have to look into that. Maybe I could stream.
Speaker 2: I don't know if there's a browser based like yeah, you've got Xbox dot complay, is they going to be PlayStation dot com play and you.
Speaker 1: Can just yeah, I'm not sure, yeah, exactly how that works. But at the very least, like we are a decade and a half into the long long takeover of cloud gaming, it still feels additive, right, it still feels like an also instead of instead, Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think for anyone that's watching this, or anyone that is living, you know, breathing video games, we're never gonna want cloud only as the option. It's always going to be a native device. Like speaking personally, I use cloud if I'm traveling and I'm streaming something in a hotel room or yeah, yeahd YadA, But I would never choose to sit and use it at home ninety nine percent at the time. Like there might be the audcation where I'd stream something to the ally in bed, but most of the time the ally can play most of the things I'd want to stream, so it becomes less and less of a use case for me. But you know, we I think Indiana Jones last year, there was a radio presenter here in the UK called James James O'Brien, he does LBC, and he was like, I played I wanted to play Indiana Jones. This was before it was announced for PlayStation. So I just played the whole thing on cloud on my Samsung TV and.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, there's your use cases for those people that just I just want to play a game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's like, you know, we heard from a map Piscitell. He was on the show a few weeks back. He had s men stay being like, yeah, yeah, cloud gaming is not huge with this audience, as you said, someone listening to this, it's just not get up with them. But in territories like Brazil and South Korea where the Internet is really good and hardware has a variety of prices for various reasons, in a place like Brazil because they do have tariffs, the cloud gaming has taken off and really found a foothold. It's like, oh yeah, okay, on a long enough timeline that stuff will begin to add up and just become the DeVault default for many of these major markets. Brazil is huge, South Korea is huge. They spend a lot of money on games.
Speaker 3: Still, these are nice to have.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm probably gonna just continue running my games locally personally, but there are I bet we'll find the rare use case wherever once in a while, I'll be glad to have this. I'll tell you what if you know the NHL games is something like I want to play more of I'm a hockey fan, but I don't usually want to sit down in the basement, yeah, at the PlayStation playing that while the family's upstairs. It's like, that's a game where I'm like, I just kind of want to play it mindlessly, maybe on a handheld, and there's no real good way to do that.
Speaker 3: Or maybe this it was something like this could solve.
Speaker 2: It tickle that itch. Yeah. I think like if we look at what what you know, all of the conjecture and stuff about you know, not just Sony, Microsoft nintended, Like what are they doing in the future and we're seeing over the course of this generation. I mean, we don't we all know about Microsoft. We don't have to keep like diving into this. It's been it's been a crazy ride for these guys. But I think all of these companies are like, hmm, it's costing more than ever to make games. How do we, you know, not just sell to the same people we've already sold it. How do we bring in different people? And I fully picture a world in five years from now where chipsets, you know, for whatever these next consoles are going to be, will be small enough and powerful enough to either be embedded into the back of a TV, so you buy your LGTV and instead of the Netflix button on the remote, it will have a PlayStation button or an Xbox button and boss you're you're playing games being streamed from the cloud or depending on how much we want to spend, there's enough power there to run some stuff. Natively, I think that's the future, and that feels weird for all of us console kids that grew up arguing over which consoles better. But I can't say that it's necessarily a bad future, So all right, how it's going to play out?
Speaker 1: And I think that that is a could be a good thing for games overall, because while it doesn't feel like it worked out exactly the way they wanted it to, the Xbox series S was onto something in that we probably should have some sort of governor or a breaking system on the rush toward more power, because we got to a point where I've said this a million times on this show, where the sort of the limiting factor on making a game for a long time was the hardware, and that led to a lot of creative solutions and very cool things. And then about twenty sixteen ten ADP sixty game and you could sort of do whatever you want under ten ADP sixty without any imitations. And then so they're like, okay, well let's push four K and that that had an effect absolutely, but really most people were pretty happy with ten eighty P sixty and so it's like, Okay, what's the limiting factor now? It's time and money. And if you have all the time and money in the world, you can make something that looks like The Last of Us Part two on a PlayStation four. And it's like, oh, oh my god. Okay, so do we all have to be doing that? And it's like, well, no, if you do that, your games are going to be so expensive that there'll be these massive risks, and you kind of can't do that because if you do have a misstep, it's going to destroy your entire business. So what do we do here. It's well, let's maybe slow down a little bit. Let's focus on the switch. The Steam deck has been around for a few years, It's going to be around for a few years more. It feels like, and it's this very pop popular platform on PC, and I see like more games being like, hey, our Greaters runs well on there. The Outer World's two runs well on there. These games that you would expect, like oh, these are the newer games they came out of after some other games that didn't run well in this device. It's like, no, these companies are now focusing on this lower end hardware. If these chipsets do end up in stuff like TVs and you're supposed to have your TV for ten years, that could be another sort of like let's slow things down. And and people I did get a little bit anxious about this, like I don't want my games to be held back, and I will continue to always say the same thing.
Speaker 3: The only thing holding.
Speaker 1: It back is that money factor, that time factor, and we don't I just I think in general, if you want good games going forward, you don't want these companies looking up at like, oh, if only we had more money and more time, because you.
Speaker 3: Can always get more of that. You you couldn't always get more power from the hardware.
Speaker 1: So it's like at a certin point you'd sort of come to Jesus and be like, Okay, we have to put out the game as it is. There's always ways to get more time and more money, and then all of a sudden, your game is the most expensive game you've ever made, and it's this huge risk, and it's like it's a bad business model. So yeah, it's doesn't right games like this governor on games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, games looks good enough. Like I've been saying this for a while. Games look good enough to me, like looks good enough ten years ago. Like I'm fine with it, and I get that, yes, there's technology improvements and there's a better lighting and stuff like that now, but predominantly, generally speaking, they look good enough ten years ago. But there's race for the best animations, the most fluid frame rates, the four K textures. It has killed many a great studio desperate to chase the next big thing, and the games take so long to make that they start chasing the next big thing four years later. Ah, no one plays those anymore, you know, and then studio is dead, you know, exactly to your point. Whereas if we can start thinking a little bit more, you know, And I love the constraints of smaller systems because they forced the developers to optimize to the nth degree to squeeze out every last possible drop, and that only means better games. On the higher end systems, it's super easy to scale up. It's not so easy to start up here and then scale all the way down, and that change in that mindset. That's something that's on developers. But if that can start to become a bit more pervasive, if like you mentioned the PS six handheld rumors, right, and yeah, you know, Microsoft played a bit of a savvy card now in hindsight by having this, Yet there has to be a series S version that runs at this lower power profile that targets ten atup thirty or ten EIGHTP sixty. Now, as they push forward all of those games, should all their backwards compatible stuff, that's going to pay off. I mean, granted that they're in third place and they haven't got the customer base to maybe capitalize on that, but it was, yeah, Sony are having to like, let's let's start building that foundation after we've built the train.
Speaker 1: Sort of like again, we're going to talk about it when this next story, but like different path, same same end point of like they're going to in the future, they're going to treat the PS five and maybe the PS five Pro as their Xbox series s That thing ain't going anywhere. The PS five is going to be around for a very very very long time, even more than the PS four. The PS four was a bad piece of hardware and they were able to keep it around for a long time. Five is excellent hardware, really well designed. PS five Pro even more powerful, So that could be the thing that sort of sits below the PS six and they might even like like re skin a PS five as like a PS six Light or something like that and sell like the PS five Pro two and really it's just a PS five Pro that is reduced in costs here or there, because that will there's no reason for the vast majority of games to target hardware that is above a PS five, let alone a PS five pro so, and that will continue to be true for a very long time. Yeah, next story, PS five PC Crossby in the works at PlayStation I have to put a question mark there at the end of that.
Speaker 2: Crazy, don't I like the way you did it at PlayStation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here are the results that Bill Becune was able to come up with over at deal Labs. When he looked into this, Bill bi kun as someone who's like always in the back ends of like storefronts and getting leaks that way, and he kind of looked at this, and you know, I'll read some of this year. A new cross By symbol has been discovered on the PlayStation five console, predicting a potential launch of the feature like the Xbox Play Anywhere program.
Speaker 3: So what about the veracity of this rumor?
Speaker 1: We are conducting an investigation like Xbox with the mention of Xbox Play Anywhere. This would allow you to play PC and PlayStation games on or like you'd be able to buy on PlayStation and get a PC version, and no one really understands how that would work. They're also just being like, is this something that is really happening or is Sony just kind of trying this idea out? And there was nothing definitive. But when Bilbocun, when Bilbocun looked, he was able to say, Okay, this isn't a reference to the old crossby from PlayStation. Sony came up with that term originally when it.
Speaker 2: Was a Vita, Right, you bought it.
Speaker 1: On PlayStation, you get it on Vita as well, so play it works on your PS three and four and it also works on your Vita. This is from June of this year. This is a new initiation of whatever it is. But also there's also a likelihood that this is just testing some ideas out and it would not end up with PlayStation being like, hey, buy your game from us, and then you also get it on PC, because what exactly would that look like? Are they fully launching their own storefront and that's where you get the game?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 1: I would say maybe, even probably, But that's something that they've also shied away from because their games are doing well on Steam? So what do you think is happening here?
Speaker 2: So it's weird because we've I've been hearing rumblings over I don't know the last eighteen months that Sony were looking to do some form of their own PC store, And I'm like, Okay, are they going to do this? Because we've seen other publishers try this, EA, they've all come crawling back to Steam right like, because look, it is the de facto. I think there was a report earlier this week that seventy two percent of developers view Steamers a monopoly. That's not the right word to use, because they don't own the market. There is competition there. It's just that the markets has spoken. But you know, if Sony are going to do this, I think it raises a lot of questions about you know, are they going to have their own back end? We've seen on Xbox games that were too old to be in play anywhere end up with like a Windows Store version and an Xbox version. Have they figured out I don't know, like how they figured out that problem. Can they backtrack that and make it, you know, apply to purchases you've already made. Are you going to suddenly wake up tomorrow and have PC versions out of the wazoo? How extensive is this going to be? Is there going to be every first party game a PC version, we're going to see Astrobot on PC. And these are questions and the bigger picture here is, you know, Microsoft are more able to do something like this because of the sheer scale and size of them. Right, they have the teams, most of the team's capabilities are already for since twenty seventeen, whenever it was they build on PC at the same time as they build an Xbox. Sony bought Nix's right to help do a lot of these PC ports. So what is that like going forward? Is this going to require stuff? I mean, there's so many unanswered questions as to how they're going to pull it off. But it is interesting that they are embracing there are like I always look at it like five years behind where where Microsoft were like, you know, Microsoft, We're going to release games on PC uproar, and then the fans calm down. We're going to release games here uproar, and then they calm down. And now everyone's got used to the fact that Halo's coming to PlayStation yep, right, yeah, yep. That was how long until Sony made this journey? Right, And I don't think we'll ever see to an extent Sony exclusives on the PlayStation on Xbox, I mean, but PC day and day. Yeah, it's got to be coming because to your point earlier, you make a last of US three and it costs four hundred million dollars whatever it is to make, and you've got eight five ninety million PlayStation five uses. But then if only ten percent eight percent of those users by that game, because it actually being the mass market platform means that most of the people are buying NBA two K and FIFA and whatever because and Fortnite, how are you making your four hundred million back? And then some and that question can't be answered quite correctly yet to the way they.
Speaker 1: Were, Yeah, yeah, And I think that in general, this is the sentiment we've heard a million times for years now. But these companies do not necessarily feel like they're competing against each other that much anymore. They do feel like they're competing against TikTok for people's time and attention, And you know, I think we go, yeah, but no, you're still competing against Xbox at PlayStation. It's like, yeah, but like, really, what is going to be the move that produces the biggest return? Is it like trying to scratch a few pieces of the pie away from your direct competitor, or is it doing something that gets the attention of this this wider audience that wasn't engaged in video games at all. And it's like kind of obvious, like what would work there. But the way that you get those people who are not currently engaged with your console video games is to reach out where they.
Speaker 3: Are, and that that's had mixed results.
Speaker 1: Obviously because cloud gaming has kind of it has started slow and then putting games on like iPhone, right capcom put those Resident Evil games on iPhone natively, I guess, just because it's like they were putting on a Mac and Mac uses the same chip set basically at this point, but whatever it was on iPhone and they sold like five copies or something, but then't want to pay seventy sixty seventy dollars for those games on a device like that.
Speaker 3: So it's like, Okay, you.
Speaker 1: Want to sort of expand the way you do things to these other places, but it's like you're actually gonna have to change how you do things to succeed in these different places. And that's why it's like, Okay, they probably should continue to focus on continue to make games for this audience that's over here and growing this audience over here, because if they find success elsewhere, I think it would distract them and eventually we would be in a situation where they're less interested in these kinds of games generally, And that's happened a little bit already, could happen even more. Yeah, at the very least for Crossby. I think PlayStation will figure something out here because I to them selling a game twice to someone who is on a PC and PlayStation. That's a nice bonus, but making someone feel like they're getting value for something you actually get people spend a lot more money just upfront. So I think that them trying to be like, hey, we can make people feel like they're getting away with something. You're getting two versions of this game. I think that's where they want to end up. So I expect them to find some solution. It probably does involve them launching that store that's been rumored for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I agree. I think it's the way the industry is going. I re mark sooss focus on play Anywhere, especially over the last few shows, they're making a big song of dance about it. My understanding is for developers, they get asked, do you want to make this play anyway? And they tick a box and and then it just happens. And if someoney's got that figured out as well to a degree from their development platform, great for everybody that actually just loves video games and doesn't give any bother to the nonsense between the war of plastic boxes. That's all I want. I want video games that are great to still exist. And I want the great video game companies that make video games right now to still have jobs and still make those games. And if that means they have to sell to more people that don't own the box I own or the platform that I like to play on. Cool, Like, it's not, I don't know. People get weirdly tribalistic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's human nature and you yeah, like people want to feel like they made the right choice.
Speaker 3: You can't help it, all, right, Let's keep going here.
Speaker 1: Steam Deck update ads much requested new mode for downloads from four James at Polygon. One of the biggest complaints about the otherwise stellar Steam Deck is that it can't finish downloading games or updates while on sleep mode. Compared to a PS five, Xbox Series X or a Nintenda Switch all of which can until now sort of. A steam Deck update has introduced a new mode to the handheld PC console hybrid which sits which sits between being turned on and going to sleep, called displayed off display off downloads. Whenever the steam Deck is downloading something and you press the power button, you'll be asked whether whether you'd like to continue downloading with the screen off. If you confirm, the low power download mode will begin, and if you press a button or move the steam Deck, a status screen will show the download progress. This feature is enabled by default if your device is connected to power, and can be enabled while on battery power by going to the settings. Yeah, this feels like something that should have been there a long time ago, but it does kind of show that they are constantly making adjustments to make steam os a viable alternative for anything else someone might use right now to build a game PC or a handheld gaming PC. I do think this this sounds like the kind of thing where if you know, you can take STMOS and installed on your desktop right now, and if it had this behavior where if like you where it went to sleep, it just like stopped everything and you couldn't change that, that would be extremely frustrating. That's something even Windows can do. So like them kind of making these small adjustments over time, because like, yeah, they operate on valve time in a lot of instances, but eventually they'll get it right. And I'm happy to see this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's a like I was like this didn't exist already, Like cool, this is great for people that own a steam deck, And I think you're right. It does speak perhaps to valves greater ambitions when it comes to steam os and what they plan to do with it. You know, we saw Satch in the Della over a I think he was doing some tech Bro show TVPN or something like that, and he talked about Windows. He talks about the next version of Windows and how PC and console and maybe we should re visit I think the phrase was, we built the console because we wanted a more focused or more powerful PC that was great at playing just games, and now we want to revisit some of that. And I'm like, if they're smart, they would build Windows to be modulo. Like, if I'm a gamer, I do not want I don't want AI productivity or co pilot or any of the nonsense that they might stick in for commercial reasons. I just want a gaining focused version of Windows that does much like what they've done with the ally and that I could see if steam Deck keeps like steam Os keeps pushing in these ways, I can see that competition coming to Windows, and that's great for us. So like I'm wishing Valve all the best here, Like go make Linux really genuinely viable beyond you know, the people that want to deal with Linux. Make it so that TPM and secure bootwork so you can run your big games. I'm very curious how the steam Tech two ends up, you know, is it going to be super powerful? I think I think they're probably going to still stay fair, calm, but like where's that going to be? And the competition that drives from that great for us. But this is all good stuff.
Speaker 1: I think that they've you know, they certainly have established steam Os that their fork of Linux as a viable thing at this point, especially when you compare it to the first go around with the Steam machines. However, long ago that was maybe a little bit more than ten years ago now I can't remember, but it was that they had steamoles on that thing as well, on those things. I should say, there was a bunch of variations from different companies, and it was early on, and so it was basically just playing Linux games, natively native Linux games, and there there are a lot of games on Steam that support Linux, but not everything. And so them figuring out Proton and sort of being the spearhead of that project and ensuring that it's something that is mostly open source and it gets improved constantly by all these people contributing to it. It's like, oh, okay, now we are easily in a point where this can be a viable alternate because all those games people already own for the most part, are going to work on here and and now they could just make it a really good gaming os as opposed to what Windows is. And I think you're right that Windows Microsoft has noticed this is an inflection point and while we are entrenched, we should not take that for granted in some instances.
Speaker 3: So you're right.
Speaker 1: They Yeah, I was hopeful going into the ALLY. I think that they definitely. The ALLY says to me, they recognize the problems. Do I have the faith that they can sort of then deal with the problems and create a version that answers all of those issues.
Speaker 3: They seem so.
Speaker 1: Determined to keep stuff like Copilot on every device that has Windows that maybe they can't. Maybe there's just a mental block inside of that company that will prevent them from succeeding.
Speaker 2: I think it's a demand from on high, right, and it's on foot because I've spoken to a number of the folks that are genuinely directly responsible for the prances in the device, and like they know all of this right, like I can speak on equivocally. They know what they want and what they will to need to do. But you know, I don't know how how much they can push for it. You know, I think there's a lot of into office politics going on at Microsoft, and arguably from my, you know, my selfish position as someone who just wants to play called video games in the easiest ways possible, the people that make the decisions aren't me, aren't of that mindset, and that's unfortunate because I, you know, this is just me speaking candidly. I genuinely think there is an opportunity for Microsoft to actually chuck out all of the stuff that isn't needed by your your average I just want to use this machine for video games and have that work and work really really well and be super performant. They can do it. It's just someone's got to have the push internally high up enough to be like, this is what we're doing.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: That's always the environment that I've heard as well, and it's a lot of people very frustrated of having to deal with visionless middle managers that are corporate ladder climbers, and it's sort of pervasive there. It's it's that is the entire environment, and it's like, if you come in with an idea for making the video games better, it's usually going to hit a tough brick wall of people who are trying to just keep the status quo because they're in charge of the status quo.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Boy, But the thing is they could make so much more money because that's what a lot of people really spend a lot of money on super high powerful rigs that can play video games with that sole purpose in mind, like go do that. I really hope that Valve keep pushing, keep making these updates, keep making these improvements, and start becoming a genuine threat. I mean I saw a metric that was like they've got three percent of the market. Okay, that sounds small, but that's that's a big deal compared to five years ago, So keep going, Valve.
Speaker 3: It's like infinitely more.
Speaker 2: It's like huge.
Speaker 1: All right, let's hit the last handful of stories. Marvel Games says it'll continue to work with Spider Man and Wolverine studio Insomniac for many years to come.
Speaker 3: This is from Chris going at VGC.
Speaker 1: Headline is mostly the story here, though, Yeah, we already know that they're working with Insomniac for a very long time because of the leaks. They're gonna be making X Men video games and stuff like that. I gotta say, though, if I were sitting here and I didn't know that and it's like, Okay, what are they gonna end up doing, It's like, I like, probably just mostly Spider Man and like Spider Man spin offs, and the Wolverine will be like something they dabble in. But those are the two characters that make a lot of sense because those are Marvel's two most popular marketable characters. I'm still a little shocked that they're gonna end up making this X Men game, and I'm excited to see it, but also Insomniac is so talented. I hope they don't get burned out being in the superhero minds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a bit of that, Like I think, I think there is super talented studio, like one of the best, they're one of the all stars in PlayStation's line up, and PlayStation have a number of fantastic studios, right, But there is an element of and again this is just a hot take. You can hold onto your feels, folks in the chat. But like Spider Man two was iterative off of Spider Man one, Right, people like, how did Insomniac chuck out these games so fast? Well, you know, you're basically a game in New York City. We've built it once, we can come in again. It's the same game engine with tweaks here and there. I'm very curious how much does Wolverine feel different? And Wolverine's a unique problem for Insomniac because he's not Spider Man, so his powers are killing people. And just like with ninjinly and four, which I really really loved after a while, yep, I'm kind of bored of just chopping people up, right, it's fits and starts. Can they sustain that for however long? Sony games like to be like twenty hours or whatever. And if they got start getting to that Superhero Minus as you say, like, are they going to get kind of like ah, it's another superhero game from Insomniac, and it will just start feeling very samey and I look back to things like Sunset Overdrive, which I think celebrated its anniversary this year, Like i'member big one that even news ten years something like that. That was a cool game. I want to see Sundset Overdrive to come on, Sony, you want you will work something out with X.
Speaker 1: I think they work something out eventually where it's like they have most of the rights. I think they might have to get like permission to re.
Speaker 3: Release the first game. I could be misremembering that.
Speaker 1: I'm just pulling it off the top of my head, but yeah, I mean I love those Spider Man games. I think I like those Spider Man games more than just about any first party Sony game. And so it's like, I'm not going to be like, oh and I want so I want them to go do something different because if they keep doing stuff like that, for the most part, I'm going to be pretty happy. But I hope that this the studio that's been so prolific and has always delivered.
Speaker 3: I hope they're.
Speaker 1: Happy continuing to do that because it seems like that's going to be their job for the next fifteen years or something like that.
Speaker 3: That's a looking down the barrel of that has got to be intimidating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit, A little bit.
Speaker 1: Uh. Nintendo president comments on Switch to strong start and more. This is from Nintendo Everything. Nintendo president for Akawa has shared a few comments about Switch two's fast start. For Akawa was speaking at a press conference following the release of the company's financial results, which we talked about on the BombCast yesterday. They raised their forecast for Switch to sales in the first year or the end of the fiscal year to nineteen million. It was previously fifteen million, so and they're conservative companies, so they might be expecting even more than that. If it does nineteen million, that'll make it, I think, by far, the fastest selling new console in its first year ever. Even if Nintendo surpasses that, it has a system capable of meeting additional demand for a Kawa said, I want each and every customer to have the opportunity to purchase one, and we aim to exceed our current sales plan.
Speaker 3: That has been the story of the switch To with so far.
Speaker 1: I think John that they have met demand with their supply in a way that we've not really seen a console ever really do before. They just made a fun of these things.
Speaker 2: There's so many Like I wasn't going to get a switch To. I was out at SGF in June and it had just come out while I was out in the States, and I was in a Best Buy and I happened to walk in first thing in the morning and there were two sitting on the shelf after it was sold out the day before, and I was like, I can save seventy quid by buying it here right now. So I just I just did it. And I'm sorry to say, like, look, sorry, sorry, I went bomb. Sorry, Jeff, I'm not I'm not a huge Nintendo fan. I did not grow up. This was not my avenue into video game I was in a BBC.
Speaker 1: Micro Amiga Commodore BBC.
Speaker 2: So I don't have any of the nostalgia or love, particularly for Nintendo's franchises overall. Like I've got a lot of love for Zelda more than anything else, but Mario. Eh ya, you know, I can live again sisters. Yeah right, But like I picked up the switch too and I played Mary Car and I was like, it's Mario kar And then I kind of haven't really done much with it. I got Donkey con Bonanza and I'm like, I don't know. I feel like for me as probably not my platform. I let the kids have fun on it every now and then. But it is still super cool and impressive to see Nintendo, comparatively to their previous launches, sell ten million, and now they're raising their forecast again. And here I was being a naysayer, thinking how quickly is this cancle? Like you're going to sell to your diehard Nintendo fans and there's a lot of you boys out there. Yes, yes there's a lot. But at some point are the casuals that would typically pick up a Nintendo console late in this life cycle going to be like, eh, I've already got a switch, like I can make do it? And Nintendo have the same problem. A lot of their games there seem reluctant to just really switch to exclusives in huge swaths because there's one hundred and fifty million switched one customers out there that they still.
Speaker 1: I think it's just a touch of Honestly, at this point, I think it's outside the DS, which would be like one hundred and fifty ish million.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's it's probably outside the PS too, but Sonny will keep digging back. Yeah, another, I want to retain that crown. But like Nintendo deserve credit for that, I just I hope that it starts releasing perhaps more like for me stuff that I'm genuinely gonna be like, Oh, but I think the biggest problem is being somebod who plays on multiple platforms and PC and Xbox is if I'm going to buy a third party game, I'm going to buy the most performance, the most port. And at the moment for me, well, I've got my Xbox l I X, I can take it anywhere, most play anywhere. That's predominantly where I play. But I still think it's an impressive feat from Nintendo. And you could never count these guys out. They always pull it out of the bags somehow.
Speaker 1: And I think, you know, they haven't used all their big guns. They use their biggest gun, Mario Kart, that is their biggest gun. But you know they have not announced the three D, the new three D Mario the new three D Zelda, that's Smash Brothers. Yes, the the new Animal Crossing. They've updated some of these things, but there's all these massive levers they can pull.
Speaker 3: In the meantime.
Speaker 1: They did have Mario Kart at the launch and they had like like a basically a one to one attach rate and it certainly sold systems and will continue to do so. And then they're hitting this Holidays with a Pokemon game that everyone just seems pretty happy with overall. No one sayings the game of the year or anything, but everyone's like, no, this is a good Pokemon game, and that is always massive for them. And that's before next year where they're going to have the next new gin of Pokemon, which will certainly then activate an even larger audience of kids and young adults and adults who have been with that series for forever. So they have these like mile markers that they've still yet to reach in terms of here's an opportunity to sell even more of these devices, and so they're already on a huge pace.
Speaker 3: I think they will have a.
Speaker 1: Bunch of ways to manufacture, manufacture excitement to keep that pace going, and then I think it will just be a question of that those families.
Speaker 3: That they'd show up for the switch.
Speaker 1: Will they hop on board this thing at the price? That's still a question that has been answered. So we'll see this holiday a little bit and then after that next years all right, Nintendo wants the steady release of new movies they see. I think they're pretty engaged with the films, and I think that this they have found a lot of success like a lot of other companies have with Hey, we put out a movie, it does well, and then our games related to that movie sell better. They certainly saw that with Mario, and I think they see this as a multi pronged attack going forward. So as long as the movies keep doing all right, I think that they're going to be all.
Speaker 3: In on this. But they so they got a couple of Mari movies.
Speaker 1: They're doing a Donkey Kong one, likely with illumination Zelda is over at Sony because what the hell, you know, obviously those ones all have the potential to to make a lot of money. Do you think that they have the bench to sort of support that long term with you know, if they do end up making a Star Fox movie or something like that, or does it kind of like fall off a pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it depends. Like Nintendo have always made, especially for their core IP, genuinely great games that capture imaginations, and it explains why they're so beloved today, right, And I think there's a world where if they're clever enough and line things up enough, I totally pull off bring an old IP that's I remember that from the Child, like, give it fresh new mechanics, break some molds and align it with a you know, an IP elsewhere in another medium, like yeah, here's the movie version to promote the game that we're And if they can get all that synced up, I mean they're going to make bank. But again, them doing all of this is another prime example because Nintendo isn't like every other console platform holder over the years. They aren't they aren't going to release their games elsewhere, so they are pursuing these other methods to bring in additional revenue, and that is licensing deals, theme parks, movies, bring it on, like especially if it makes fans happy, Like I didn't think the Mario movie was great. It was run of the mill average, But if you're a huge Mario fan I am not, you probably loved it a lot more than I did. And there are a lot of Mario fans out there, and there are a lot of Zelda fans out there. If they can do the service of these ips right to those fans, like and I, you know, I hate to bring it on an Xbox tangent, but I am an Xbox guy. Look at the Halo TV show. I have never been more annoyed with a company. Oh, I've been waiting twenty years to see Hello on the big screen. Hey guys, we know we've got all these cool stories and everything that we made, but we're going to create a completely different universe and ignore all of it enjoy. And it's like what you could have had everyone of all those core fans singing its praises, but you chose not to. Nintendo won't do that. They'll they'll do clever decisions, I.
Speaker 1: Think, and I think that I agree with that because Mirmodos seems so involved, but he's like, my job now is to make sure that these people don't fuck up are shit And yeah, absolutely fact. In fact, I'm also going to like learn all of their secrets. And now we hate the pictures and I'm gonna We're going to do it ourselves in ten years.
Speaker 3: But for now I'm over.
Speaker 1: There just getting all of their little goodies to show about them. Last story here, Nintendo says going forward it will shift primary development focus to Nintendo Switch to So to me, that says John that we're going to get quite a few more Nintendo Switch one games that they have been finishing up development on recently.
Speaker 3: There's a couple already announced Tomadaci Life.
Speaker 1: But the game's beginning development today that will come out in four, three to five years. Because it's Nintendo, maybe some of their games have slightly shorter development times.
Speaker 3: Those ones will be switched to exclusive.
Speaker 1: So we're still expecting quite a bit of an overlap here of Switch one games getting quite a bit of support for some time, right.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, but that's the right thing to do. They're communicating to the customers that are like, yo, where's my news, elder and stuff. Yeah, like, yeah, we're on it, folks, but setting some expectations there, but doing the right thing for the platform. I think, like, I know, money makes all of these companies tick, and Nintendo want to make just as much everybody else. But yeah, at some point you got to You've got to look after your customers where they're going and investing now, which is on the switch too, so bring on the big guns. I want to see what I hope whatever new Zelda is isn't like you know, Breath of the Wild three. I want to see like you know that they always used to change it up, new art style, new mechanics. Let's see that from a new Zelda, right personally speaking, but I look forward to seeing it nonetheless.
Speaker 1: Likewise, all right, let's get to the poll question. This is from earlier this week. Have you played Arc Raiders?
Speaker 3: Yes or no? Your options?
Speaker 1: And while the game is very successful, nineteen percent have said yes, eighty one percent said no. And it's you know, that's because it's not a free to play a game. It's not like something you just cant cusily try. So nineteen percent is all like, that's one in five here of people saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've tried it.
Speaker 1: That is you can see why it's so massive, And then it also has this potential to keep growing if the word of mouth stays positive on it. You said you did that event, are you continuing to play the game.
Speaker 2: I can't stop thinking about it, like, oh yeah, if I wasn't doing this I'd be playing Art Graders right now. I did a live stream if people want to like a genuine like moment to moment, like how does this feel the play? I did a live stream on the Xbox here a YouTube channel for five hours straight where me and a couple of buddies we were just hitting raids and exploring. And this was early game stuff, right, so within the first five or so hours of gameplay, and you'll get a feel for the kinds of encounters that can occur, the funny bits that can happen. Even in my review video, there was one moment where we're all caring for cover, one of our guys ping someone. Six dudes just come up to the top of the cliff and there are another two teams that have teamed up and they're like, hey, chill out, and they start playing the recorder at us, and we're like, oh, okay, this is a friendly time. So that stuff, that's the stuff that's like magic. And the more of that I discover and the more kind of gut wrenching tension I experienced, the more I just can't wait to keep playing. Plus you have a pet chicken.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're right, they're just a rooster there.
Speaker 2: I know he wants pillows, he wants olives, You've got pemperm.
Speaker 1: I'm such a sucker for emergent storytelling. That to me, that's the real storetelling video games. But I'm a pretentious asshole, but so it warms me up to hear everyone else be like, yeah, this is the best stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yes it is.
Speaker 2: Finally, it really is. Like there's the amount of clue.
Speaker 3: Player right, yeah, yeah, totally. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've got so many stories that are inherent to me and just me and see a thieves where I'm like, that will never happen to anyone else ever.
Speaker 3: Again, that's the best best shit?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Real quick, super chef from scad Party. Where'd you get your shirt?
Speaker 1: Grub?
Speaker 3: I got this from ign dot com. They have a store.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they still have a store, but when I bought it, they had a store. Uh this was a couple of years ago. I like it quite a bit, but who knows that they still sell it?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Okay, poll question, we have a new one here in a second. Before we do that, though, John Clark, why don't you tell people where they can find you on the internet? Tell them again about the book, tell them about your card game, tell them about everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah I can do that. So yeah, I own and run with an incredible call team of awesome people. Xboxero dot com. Yes we know, xbox It's still a cool place to come and be because we fun. Fact, Jeff, we've reviewed more video games this year with video reviews than in We are six people team, right, We try and do videos for every review. We try and give you the down load on how things perform. We've started incorporating xbox our I footage into our reviews, so if you were an owner of that handheld, you can be like, oh, this runs well or it doesn't. We often do crazy experiments, so Xboxer dot com is the gateway to all of this stuff. We have a Patreon because yep, we wouldn't be able to do it without the people. Much like everyone that supports Giant Bomb and you should absolutely do that, we couldn't do it without these folks, right, these amazing individuals that keep independent games coverage alive. Means we get to avoid doing the clickbait and build a core community. We've got a discord you can connect all of it and if you want a fun card game, another One of the crazy things we did was we made Console Wars the card game, whereas you are battling for famous video game IP and winning the console war for yourself. So even though it's over out here in the real world, you can still live through those battles by your mates. It's really fun and you can buy it on Amazon dot Com on Amazon UK and it ships worldwide. We put a lot of heart into it. We did a successful Kickstarter and we're continuing to see it grow. So if you want to go check it out, and I would recommend you do because it's like twenty five bucks and it's really funny. Got to check it out. But yeah, that's it. That's where you can find me and all the stuff.
Speaker 3: Excellent.
Speaker 1: All right, new poll question the guy that wrote it down just a second ago. Do you have a PlayStation portal? I want to check in on this. I want to see what people because another thing sold really will up the gate. And then it was hard to get for a while, and they did another round. I still don't think I've ever seen one on a store's shelf, But is this one that they were selling from like the police station store, and that was primary way to get it. Maybe that's what it was. Either way, I just want to see what people say, yes or no? Do you have one? I don't need one, but I'm like, God, I might pick it up.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's some stupid for that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, if it's only you're right, they'll give you the opportunity to just stream to any device with this cloud stuff, right, Does it have to be just on the portal lot?
Speaker 3: No? No, I think you know their cloud stuff is every you know.
Speaker 1: I don't know for sure though, John, for like the streaming your own owned games, Maybe there's something there, but I can't imagine there would be. All right, I think with all of that out of the way, what we should do now, let's say what's happening next on Giant Bomb. We're going to go right into Blake Club. Everybody, if you're watching live, stick around. We're doing it early today because Dan's going to have another assignment he's going to be out on, so definitely show up for that. Beyond that, it's gonna be mostly a regular week. We'll have our stuff on Friday, well, voicemail dump truck on Thursday, so stick with us.
Speaker 3: We're looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, though, John, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games.
Speaker 3: Man, I really appreciate it a privilege.
Speaker 2: I loved it, and I'll happily join again as long as people don't mind.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Today's Dan. Dan's doing a Twitch Rivals thing today. He's going to be competing in Hades two against a beardy man and all the stars are here, is my understanding, and Dan is one of them stars.
Speaker 3: So we'll talk about that. He can hype that up and we'll say all the details.
Speaker 2: Can I make a Twitch request a giant bomb request? Can I see Jeff grabbin two joint bombs, go in stream ark writers as a squad and get sweaty like I want to see the panic. I want to see the panic in your eyes.
Speaker 1: I want to put yes, I want to do more of that for sure. Yes, I will live up to that request. I can deliver.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: We got to get out of here so we can do Blake Club once. Get Thank you, John, Thank you everybody for listening and watching. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself, and goodbye.