Speaker 1: For Larry Glass. Is brought to you by Green Glum Nursery and Greenhouses United, Reynolds, Kelly Banks, Tree Service, Roman's Outdoor Power, Accent, Pest Control, Ascension, Saint John, James Phillips and Gateway First Back and good morning, good morning, good morning, welcome, welcome, welcome time for the Green Country Gardener Program. He is in the flash right here, our guru, Larry Glass. And boy, oh boy, oh boy, what a week. Huh. I bet you wish it would rain?
Speaker 2: Yeah, golly, what's wrong with you guys? Come on, geez.
Speaker 1: Raining in the middle part of the state. A little skinny line. I don't know who's gonna get you.
Speaker 2: Gall them buttons over they're pushing on, make it rain.
Speaker 1: That's the time I pushing the button. I wasn't sure what it was. We were off the air, off.
Speaker 2: The air for three weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our engineer says, on your tombstone, and it might be soon than you think it shall read your lies, Tom Davis famous last words. I wonder what this does.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of them there. But anyway, Kelly, September the what Today's the fourteenth, middle of the month, and it's kind of a transition period between summer and fall for the most part. Yeah, but nonetheless, on a calendar basis, typically it's starting to cool down a little bit, and it will I think middle of end of next week it'll probably start to cool down a little bit get to be a more normal weather. However, it gives us time to plan, plan yes and u and material acquisition stuff like that, to get ready to do your gardening. That when I think when fall comes, I think we'll have about maybe five minutes of fall.
Speaker 1: We usually do, and we have really nice, you know, like two or three days, and then it's.
Speaker 2: Like whoa, because wall the brick wall, no winter here. It comes a but nonetheless it goes away.
Speaker 1: For a little bit and then in February comes back for two weeks. Kills us.
Speaker 2: Typically typically in the garden right now, we want to fertilize the spring bulbs. Things are at your daffodils and whatnot. Be as soon as it gets a little bit cooler, they're going to be wanting to grow. And actually when you fertilize anything, but with the ground as dry as it is, you want to ensure that the ground is it is moist, So you want to water first. Because the fertilizer just doesn't magically go into the ground. No, it's basically it's a salt and it has to diffuse into the soil. So water first, fertilized water again, and that way it'll get down and soil where it needs to go. You don't waste your money, okay. Also, good time to plant trees, it is. Yes, I've broken a shovel or two this week. Stuff, I go through more shovels. It's a bone pile in the back of the nursery. But anyway, it's a good time to plant trees. Also a good time to plant some shrubs and things too traditionally, but I would look at the weather forecast for the next one hundred days there it's going to be like ninety nine degrees every day. So probably want to hold off on that just a little bit until we have a little better weather coming on. So yeah, and also do you remember last spring all the chick weed and handbit everywhere.
Speaker 1: It was overtaking the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is time to put a pre emergent on the lawn. We have a product at the nursery called pro diamine, and what I like per diamine. It's great for the control of crabgrass and per diamine also effective against summer annual grass, blue grass, goose grass, furgs, chickweed, and a large number of annual broadly weeds. It's safe to use on the established turf, with exception of golf pudding greens. You got a putting green in your yard, well, you probably have a big water bill anyway. But anyway, if you have, I don't want to use it on there, and you want to not use it around Oh, you can use it rather on ornamentals and established perennials. But diamane barricade is another name for it is one of the longer lasting of the pre mergent herbicides and probably the most economical due to the lower rate of application. So, yeah, we've got a big old yellow bag at the nursery. It's a pound bag of this stuff, and it's really the least expensive way to do it because you're only you're not going to use all of it. And it's a fertilizer which is zero zero seven shaken, not stirred. Yeah, but anyway, so it really doesn't even though it is does have a fertilizer kind of a pellet on it. It doesn't really contribute much the fertilization of your soil too, so it it does a very good job to control weeds for for a long period of time. Okay, so for diming. Good good thing to us for that. Let's see Quinnchlorac is another thing. It's a water soluble post emergent selected post emogent overside because broadly, weeds and grass is in torrient turf species. So I'm seeing a lot of just very persistent weeds in people's yards and the queue does a good job of kind of thinning it out a little bit. And I like it because it will get rid of that that thing. Yeah that uh yeah, anyway, I'll come up with it in just a minute, I can. But anyway it does it does do a lot to control some some other weeds as well. It's a post emergent control. It's good for not spurge. But yes, okay, okay, cool anyway, Also time to divide the iris and dig them up and the kind of throw them on the ground, put them in a little bit of dust and water. Man, real good, pretty hard at plants really, So I got a lot in my yard divided them last year and they just went crazy to spring. A lot of people's Irish really went crazy this year.
Speaker 1: You better like iris because they're going to be around a while.
Speaker 2: Get up early in the morning by the Irish and water man real good. They'll do just fine. And time also to plant first sign it to plant spring bulbs. Oh sedge, that's Quinn Colorac. It's just control Sedge.
Speaker 1: I come to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it takes a while. Sometimes I'm having that day too, golly. So anyway, it's also getting really close to time. Time to plant the spring bulbs. It's a little early to plant pansies right now. The ground's kind of dry. It is kind of warm. But if you've watered them okay and don't over water them, under water them will be all right. And another thing is the critters are looking for stuff to munch on them, and they might attack your pansies right now because everything's kind of dried up. So you might want to get maybe some blood meal with it and just sprinkled on the ground. That kind of keeps them away a little bit, but you can anticipate maybe some trouble with squirrels and so on. Little munchers, little munchers eating up your pancies. That happened to us one year we planted the whole truckle the pansies, the dag them deer all that ate them all up? What could I do? But you'll replant. But anyway, that was quite a kind of adventure. But anyway, it's getting time to Also, you know, you want to get that ground really well, well prepared to and if you're shoveled really doesn't go into the ground very easily. You might consider augmenting the soil dynamite. No, well, that would be maybe maybe an h bomb perhaps, But yeah, dynamite will work really well, but a pitchfork will kind of break it up. Oh yeah. Well, if it's really very hard and dry and difficult to manage, you might want to consider maybe a day or two ahead, watering it real well, just so it can break up, because that clay soil is a lot easier to work if it's got some moisture in it. When it's dry, it tends to get really quite difficult to manage, so you might want to water ahead of time just to get it going. And if you do have a situation where does that perhaps the soil needs to be amended. You can use gypsum, which you hope break up clay olecules. Gypsum does very good for that. It also gives you some elemental calcium and some sulfur that the plant's kind of like that. Then because you do have calcium, calcium sulfate, it kind of neutralizes. It doesn't really sit up by the soil or anything else, but it does help break up the clay molecules or particles. Rather so, gypsum will help a whole lot of you. It's just too hard to dig. I know when we do the landscape work. Go to people's house, was dry like it's you gotta jump on the.
Speaker 1: Shovel, jump sometimes two or three times exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, almost there, and there's another one on the bone file.
Speaker 1: You break a few, don't you bet.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so if soil, if your soil is real hard to prepare at this point in time, perhaps you need to amend it. And the good thing about amending the soil and making it more porous is that your water is more effective. It soaks into the ground faster. Your fertilizer goes into the ground a lot better in the riot zone where it really needs to be, rather than run off onto the street. So okay, So it's kind of a transition time from summer to probably about a three day fall.
Speaker 1: Till you've been around here too long.
Speaker 2: I know, you know these things. Also, it's a good time, giving to be a good time to plant some trees. And we've got some more coming in, some new ones. We've got a lot of existing ones too that are in really good shape. Some interesting red buds. They're really been having some fun breeding this one. There's one that has all these different colored leaves on it. It's kind of pretty too. And the Oklahoma red bud is a good standard. It's a very compact growing tree, and as far as red buds are concerned, it is quite rugged and durable, good for a climate. So it might be a consideration for a smaller tree. Smaller meaning maybe twelve to fifteen feet tall or so, not a huge tree. And the Oklahoma redbud, what I like about it also is the leaves are fairly thick and they don't tatter too much. Typically in the spring we have these big old storms that come through.
Speaker 1: Kind of like the May six tornado.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and when that wind blows the leaves they leave shake back and forth. And the ends of tatter, and the advantage of the Oklahoma and actually the forest Pansy's another one is that the leaves are thicker and you have less of a tendency to tatter. Now, this is probably the worst time you were to trying to sell a red bud, because they're just ugly. Leaves are all spotted and yellow. They're not very attractive this time here. But look closely at your red bud at the stems, and you will see these little buds.
Speaker 1: About that big, at the size of a baby perhaps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And those are the flowers that are coming out this long now the Oklahoma red bud, because it is kind of a dwarf tree. What happens so on that one is the node between the leaves is closer than a regular red bud. You know, just take our cursus candidates, you know, up the street, if you will, and there's a certain distance between the stem or the leaf on the stem. That's what you call the node on the Oklahoma red But some of the other ones, that node is closer. Oh, and that's what makes it small. Number one and number two. You get a better density of blooms on them, and some of them maybe tend to look like pipe cleaners. There's so many flowers on them because it's so closely related to each other. And because of that short node, it doesn't get that to be that big of a tree, so it thinks it's a real big tree. But haha, we know better than that. But anyway, so that kind of explains dwarfism and small trees. It's just a tendency of the genetics to have a shorter node, the more density of flowers and a smaller tree. Cool.
Speaker 1: All right, tell you what we need to take a quick break and we'll be right back folks after this ten second time out.
Speaker 3: If you like plants, if you like working outside, Greendum Nursery is looking for workers to work full time retail. Stop by Green Thumb to apply in person, you must be able to work either Saturday or Sunday each week. That's Green Thumb Nursery in Greenhouses forty six oh five no Otter Road in Bartlesville, and Green Thum Nursery has new shipments of mums and pansies just in time for fall planting. That's Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses on the water Road.
Speaker 4: The employees at United Rentals are local folk who work, playing, go to church, and send their kids to school in Bartlesville and the surrounding area. But United Rentals also has corporate buying power which gives them power and leverage to get you the best deal on equipment. You need to get your job done right and with twenty four hour service, there's always someone from United Rentels to help you. United Rentals on the southeast corner of Highway sixty and seventy five United Rentals.
Speaker 5: This is kat Hunifferent Gateway First Bank, Bartlesville. Exciting news.
Speaker 6: Our CD rates are hotter than ever.
Speaker 5: Right now you can log in a fantastic four point eighty five percent APY on a seventh month CD. Yes you heard that right, four point eighty five percent annual percentage of You'll for seven months baby To grow your savings, apply online at Gateway First dot com or visit us at our Bartible branch located at four to two to two South Dewey Avenue. We're here to help you secure a brighter financial future. Some restrictions apply. A five hundred minimum balance is required and this offers are available for a new CD deposits only Gateway First Bank number fd I see remember.
Speaker 4: When your mom puts you to bed, and right before she touched you in, she'd say sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite. And as little kids, we thought that was funny.
Speaker 7: Well, if you've ever had bedbugs, you'll know it's not funny. And Accent Pest Control knows that bet bugs are real. They're tiny, round, brown insects and they're a nightmare to deal with. Betbugs create quite a nuisance. I can stow away in luggage and end up infesting your home. If you think you might have bedbug, call Accent Pest Control nine one eight three three six fifty nine two and schedule an inspection.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Green Country Gardner Program. I'm Tom Davis. He's Larry Glass. He is our expert. I just answered the bones sort of one eight hundred seven three six Professor, Where are we today.
Speaker 2: Let's talk a little bit about the planting grass seed for the fall.
Speaker 8: Let's do that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'll do plant grass seed. Number one. Make sure you have enough light on the ground. There should be dappled light at the least dampled. Light's not too hard to come by right now. Just have to leave the up streets. If not enough you might have your tree canopy thin down a little bit, just so the grass that do well you want to plant for success on that. You know, also assess your soil conditions. Get they'll rusty shovel up back behind the garage, behind all the other stuff of the gage.
Speaker 1: Mine is two and a half shovels worth of breaking. That's all hard, that is.
Speaker 2: And try to dig a hole in the ground and see what's going on with the soil type. And if the soil is really heavy, well you might want to augment it a little bit. Soil should be fairly light in area with a pH between six point five and seven. So they have a simple litmus test. You can get a little test tube things that you can use and check your soil or if you wonder, if you really want to be successful, take samples to the extension agent.
Speaker 1: They're happy to look at your dirt well yeah, okay, and then that kind of dirt, and then they they can kind of tell you what to do as far as the nutrients are concerned, trace elements and so on.
Speaker 2: They really don't give you an analysis on the soil structure, but they do give you the good chemical analysis. But if it's difficult at this point in time. If it is difficult to dig a hole in the ground, then you're not gonna have much luck to drown grass because it'll wash down. And this beautiful emerald band of grass around the river.
Speaker 1: The river there you go.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so you check your soil. Shoot, we checked out you shoot has some pretty good light coming on to it. Soil should be light in area with a pH. Most river bottom dirt can pacts very well, very hard and difficult. So you might want to add some chips into the soil or organic material to depending on the condition of the soil what you do. What you can also do is the solar stratification tests where you take say a pickle jar for glass one or something so you can see through and fill it up about oh half of soil half of water and shake it up real good and let it sit for a while and it'll tell you your your soil content, your percentage of clay, sand, silt and loam in your soil, and they'll give you a good idea what to add to the soil. So we did a demonstration to that's the nursery that go what is that? I said, that's and we shoually. We explained to them that explains what your soil is made of. So you can add certain materials, add maybe some sand or some organic material and get rid of the clay, you know whatever. You might have some gyps and perhaps and losing that up a little bit too. But the organic material can be anything from say rotted leave to peed moths to compost the package, compost anything that's sort of organic like that. That'll help keep an area loose. That way, your roots will go down because roots, the roots of the plant require oxygen, not very much, but to require some oxygen for them to grow, and they simply the plant simply will not grow in an anaerobic situation. So you need to have some way in which at least some oxygen can get down into the soil for the rest to grow and do well. Once you've achieved all that, it's pretty simple to do. You fertilize, rescue and in the fall and in the winter except for December, January and February, March and April, I'll do it again and you make a beautiful lawn out of it. But there is some work involved with it, and one thing you really can't do is put a pre emergent down in association with the scattering of the seeds, because it will also stop those seeds from growing. So if you have a few weeds in there, you might want to till them under or add some stuff or just enough to get the grass growing real well. And then when this when the grass matures in the spring, you can do maybe a pre emergent at that point or even a mild post emergent over side to control the selectively remove broadly fleets and things.
Speaker 1: But it's all got to be sequential.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the same story holds true with sod. Now, the fescusad will be available soon. It's still a little early yet. The sod growers aren't pulling it up yet because it's still kind of hot. But it'll be available soon. As soon as you guys to say what to do with the weather, it'll it'll be available and roll out the green carpet. But once again, it's not that simple.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: No, it is not that simple. So anyway, there's so much for that bermuda grass right now, it's time for to say the ten twenty ten fertilizer to put that down right now to get those stolens hardened off for the fall in the winter, and soisio grass. Kind of the same thing. Not a whole lot going on with that. Just keep it, you know, fairly well watered if you can. I know, I've not been watering my yard, but I've been focusing lately on the trees. I don't want to lose them. I see a lot of trees just kind of grindling up and looks like they're giving up the ghost the tree. The tree removal people are going to be very busy this winter, yeah, exactly. But so you want to at least water enough to keep your trees going pretty well, because it is kind of expensive to have that done. And I told the wife, I said, we're going to have to start water in the yard a little bit because my trees are going to die and it's going to cost more money to cut the tree down and get all the stump out and it would be.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, so if anything, water your big trees in the yard.
Speaker 2: And look at the real cloth. Some of the maples are starting to get some red leaves on them, and it's too early for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta wait till October something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they're kind of shutting down earlier this year, and it's going to make kind of a punk fall as far as fall cover is concerned, yellow, they're just gonna kind of fall off. I guess, no show all those tour buses coming through to see.
Speaker 1: That they're watering it tall because that's their bread and butter.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, I know, hope. So I don't really think we're gonna have much of any good fall color this year because of this this DRISTI.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, all right, we're gonna take a quick break. We're going to be right back after this two minute time out.
Speaker 6: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed?
Speaker 8: Kelly Banks Tree Service?
Speaker 6: Who can grind up these stumps in my yard?
Speaker 8: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 6: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 8: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 6: What's that number?
Speaker 9: It's nine one eight three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 6: Call it today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 9: That's nine one eight three three five seven zero zero zero eight BP five seven thousand.
Speaker 10: Catch the latest edition of Native Beat on Bartzel Radio KWN fourteen hundred nine three point three ninety five point one on the FM dial. Catch us on the first and third Mondays of the month at nine forty five with your host John weston the latest news, information, and events going on in the Northeast Oklahoma area. Be sure to catch Native Beat on KWN Bartisol Radio fourteen hundred nine three point three ninety five point one at FM dial.
Speaker 4: You've heard it since I saw it on the radio. That's true. Now the radio can be your computer, your smartphone, tablet, or any Internet connective divine. Go to Bartlesville Radio dot com and click on the listen now button in the upper right hand corner. You won't miss a minute of news, sports, or entertainment. You can take us with you anywhere in the world. We're AM fourteen hundred AM ninety three point three and AM ninety five point one K one, the one you trust, and you're constant online.
Speaker 11: Campaign Extinction is Forever.
Speaker 12: To save America's.
Speaker 11: Most iconic and imperiled species from extinction, we must fight for their future. Fight to save the natural lands that wildlife call home, Fight to limit pollution, fight for smart development, fight for their future. And fight for ours.
Speaker 12: For so goes nature, so goes us.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Green Country Gardner Program and we have our oh free number one eight seven four six Lurri glass with this year and what's next on the agenda there.
Speaker 2: Now, when you get your grass seed down irrigating, if you have a bit of a slope, you want to be careful not to put too much water on let it all run down the hill. I've seen that happen so many times there the old clumps and grass growing in the good or around the half. So make sure keep keep an eye on the water when you do water. And if you get a sprinkler, say a hose in sprinkler or even a sprinkler system, the ones that shoot out a great distance, they apply water at a slow rate of precipitation and then you can kind of look at it while it goes and see if it's soaked into the ground and when it starts to run off, that tells you how much time you can run it. Now, if you have a spencer timer, most of them have multiple startups. You know. The rain Bird esp has a three startups and you can divide it up into say nine o'clock and maybe eleven o'clock or in one o'clock or something, just so the water has a chance to soak in before you apply water again, just so you don't cut all the runoff. It helps us save of wasting water too. You know, I go to work in the morning or any time and see the spinker's running and just water running down the street. We talked about that earlier too. But anyway, you want to be very conscious today because water is kind of expensive. A reservoir was built when I don't know when when they built the thing, and the town wasn't quite that big. So we have to be very conscious and very selective with the watering just so we don't run out of water like we did last year.
Speaker 1: We did, everybody did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this year was a little bit better. I think. I think we're maybe climbing out of that super hot super riphee everything cyclical, you know, and then it'll be better like it was, you know, like five years ago. And I think one summer it never got to a hundred.
Speaker 1: That was an anomaly, yeah, it really was.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so just water, just enough, a slow rate of precipitation is good. Water early in the morning, do not water during the heat of the day, uh huh, or lat water you know, when the sun goes down a little bit in the evening. But it's just you use a lot of water due to evaporations if you do water in the heat of the day, So kind of be conscious of that too. Okay, So do all right now fertilizing your fescue grass right now it's time to go. I do maybe a not quite a heavy nitrogen application. You don't want to spurm a lot of growth right now. So this is the time to put down the ten twenty ten fertilizer on your fescue. And look at the color of the grass too. If it's a real deep green color or if it's just kind of a pale green color. If it's a pale green color, maybe you need more nitrogen. But if you're if your grass blades are fairly wide but they're also pale, you might need some iron in the soil too.
Speaker 1: Them all nice.
Speaker 2: And you know, have you ever seen the geological map of northeast Oklahoma?
Speaker 1: No, but I get the feeling I'm going to after this show.
Speaker 2: It looks like some artwork from the sixties just up and all these different different types of stone and soil, and it's quite quite a mixture. So not like say in New England or Georgia when I lived over there, it's all the same. But over here it's just pretty wild the variations in the soil type, even from one neighborhood to the next. So you have to that's why we need one reason why we need to do a soil analysis and jump on the shovel a little bit to see how hard it is to get the whole doug Some parts of town all the soil is really good, Like going into Colonial when Dorchester off of Selveral Lake, it's you going that way, really good stuff. We did some sprinker systems there years ago. You plunge that thing all the way down. Just this rich black stuff came up really nice. You go two blocks away, you're at the plunger on the on the ditch which is just clanging in the limestone clang clang clang, try to get through that stuffy so it can vary a lot. And even in Woodland Park, some parts of the limestone soil, some parts of sandstone soil. So yeah, you just got to be geologically, we have a different layers of rock associations of rock and that was created by you know, ancient oceans and stuff, and that's why we have a different soil in one part of town to another. Oay, so you have to respond accordingly.
Speaker 1: So this was once part of the Gulf.
Speaker 2: Of Mexico, Canada or Italy.
Speaker 1: Like tectonics, folks, it's a it's a whole other people to study, but it kind of coincide.
Speaker 2: We're not. That leads us to the tree of the week, which is a red maple. The red maple is a very popular tree. It's a durable, It has a very extensive root system, and it can be fairly deep, can also be fairly shallow depending on the way to the soil, and it's noted for its fall color. Now, there's a genre of the red maple, it's called Freeman I, which is a cross between the silver and a red. It has attributes of both. It has the growth rate of a silver maple and a lot of the strength of a red.
Speaker 1: Maple too, basket of both worlds.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it grows fairly quickly, so it'll be a big tree probably before the mortgage is paid off. And it's a very durable and so on and they grow fairly quickly and actually because of their branching structure, they're pretty strong too. They did very well and the storms we had this spring, so the Freeman I maples are good. Just a red maple are good. One the sugar maple. So it's a little too hot for them here. There are a few that the cattle maple is one that probably make it pretty well. It does well in western Oklahoma. They should do pretty well here too, but our soil is a little heavier than it is. You have that red salt and then we have clay soil over here, so there's variations are pretty wild. So the red maple does make a good tree for the landscape. Be prepared also to trim it up a little bit, just so the grass down below it can have a chance to grow and prevent the erosion. Now, one thing I don't like to do is plant the red maple on a slope. Why is that because of the shallow Rootscha. The red maple is indigenous to lowland areas, and typically lowland areas. Yeah, and another word for them can swamp maple. But anyway they they live in, they're digitous to an area that has a very anaerobic soil, and the roots are shallow primarily to respond to the lack of oxygen in the soil roots. As we mentioned earlier, roots carry on respiration, so they require some degree of oxygen for them to do very well. Not a whole lot, but just some. So if you do have a situation where the soil is ver heavy and shallow, you might consider something like a Chinese pistache. The pistache has a more deeply rooted briot system rather than say a shallow rooted silver maple or freeman I maple or even a red maple. And because of that attribute, they can go in our soil and not have these knuckles coming up out of the ground. And also they have good fall color on them too.
Speaker 1: Now, the Chinese fistache, you got to wait for it to go through. It's awkward years.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well yeah, we got some in and they look kind of kind of ugly.
Speaker 1: Well, once you get a plan, once they get our story, they are they outgrow it, you know, kind of like you did when you were twelve kids.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, they will grow out of it. They will make an ice tree.
Speaker 1: They'll make a very ice tree.
Speaker 2: You can get a whole road of Chinese fistache. No matter what they look like, when they get bigger, they're all going to look the same and they're gonna look great. And I tell people when they're picking up they say, well, now he's got a little crooked branch.
Speaker 1: I said, give it time.
Speaker 2: That branch is not going to be there. You're going to cut it off so you can walk underneath the tree. So a lot of a lot of these smaller trees, the branches that are there aren't going to be there when when they get big, you can because you can't walk under them. And the pistache said that. The pistache does make kind of irregularly growing tree when it's young, and because of that, they're kind of difficult to sell.
Speaker 1: But if you know what you're getting into, you're fine, and you got yourself a deal.
Speaker 2: The really big ones, actually they fell better than the little ones because they're mature and they're growing and filled out a little bit.
Speaker 1: They look like they've straightened up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good track together. Yeah, but you look around at the pistache trees, you see very few of them that are as awkward as they were when they were young.
Speaker 1: There you go at dipper the day. We'll be right back after this two minute time out.
Speaker 3: If you like plants, if you like working outside, Green Thumb Nursery is looking for workers to work full time retail. Stop by Green Thumb to apply in person. You must be able to work either Saturday or Sunday each week. That's Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses forty six oh five No Water Road in Bartowsville and Green Thumb Nursery has new shipments of mums and pansies just in time for fall planting. That's Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses on the water Road.
Speaker 6: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed?
Speaker 8: Kelly Banks Tree Service?
Speaker 6: Who can grind up these stumps in my yard?
Speaker 8: Kelly Banks Tree Services.
Speaker 6: Dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 8: Well, you better call Kelly's Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 6: What's that number?
Speaker 9: It's nine one eight three three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight three three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 6: Call it today for your tree trimming, stop grinding and trade removal needs.
Speaker 9: That's nine one eight three three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 5: This is Kat Hubner from Gateway First Bank in Bartlesville.
Speaker 6: Exciting news. Our CD rates are hotter than ever.
Speaker 5: Right now you can log in a fantastic four point eighty five percent apy on a seventh month CD. Yes you heard that right, four point eighty five percent annual percentage yield for seven months.
Speaker 6: Ready to grow your savings?
Speaker 5: Apply online at Gateway First dot com or visit us at our Article branch located at four two two South Deuey Avenue. We're here to help you secure a brighter financial future. Some restrictions apply. A five hundred minimum balance is required, and this offer is available for a new CD deposits only Gateway First Bank number FD.
Speaker 1: I see depend on K one and fourteen hundred and FM ninety three point three for locally sourced news, weather and sports two Went from work and everything in between, Kay one, the one you trust. Welcome back to the Green Country Gardner Programmer. I told we number one eight hundred and seven four ninety three six Larry Glass, what's next on our agenda?
Speaker 2: Our shrub of the week is well, not really a shrub. It's kind of a perennial, okay, But it can be a shrub because it's somewhat evergreen, and that is a very good is lyrio how big that get lyopen lily terf lariope muscari very got a aka monkey grass. If I were to use the word monkey grass and one of my drawing from school, you're done. The professor would tear it in have and give you a big flat f. It is not mokey grass. It's lily curve. But anyway, what I like about this plant is no bugs, extremely drought tolerant, and the variegated stuff doesn't spread everywhere. I've got clumps of variegated delirio. Shall I say monkey grass? I hope they're not listening, but anyway, and it forms a clump instead of it doesn't spread everywhere. And I like to use this in the landscape just for some sparkle, you know when if you will, it gives you some relief, textual relief and some color relief. And it's just kind of evergreen too, really and right now they're in bloom gives you some color too, But anyway, it has a unique blueish white flower spikes up to eighteen inches tall in July or August, followed by dark blue blackberries in September. October what the birds don't get. And it's the most an almost fool proof plant that endures hate to drought, salty seast, seaside conditions, you know, full sun or heavy shade. It grows just about anywhere. Man Peo will say, you put micy bass am i drawing it. Said no, no, it's not fat. It doesn't spread, it won't take over. Now, there is a variety of the very gate of Liiiopi known as silver dragon, and that stuff spreads like wildfire. Keep that away, and I feel I have it in a troubled area in the yard and it's covered really nicely with the very gated foliage in the shade over there, just north of the shed, between the red butt tree and the north of the fence, rather between the red bed tree and the fence, and makes a very nice low cover. And what I like about it is it kind of spreads you real heavily, and nothing else grows through it, and it just makes a good cover. And in the same place close by, I have some just regular green Theriopi and it's just formed a real thick ground cover and it looks really nice up against a brick border setting concrete along.
Speaker 1: The color contrast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good color, texture contrast and all that. That looks really nice. So it the regular just green monkey grass makes a good groundcover because it just basically chokes everything else out. So you might consider that for in your landscape. But they all have completely different uses in the landscape. In otherwords, you don't want to use the regular green monkey grass as a border because it'll just take over everything. So you might consider the variegated lily turf okay, no monkey grass lily turf as a border along your landscape. Or I use it in clumps, a clumps of three or five or so or some color accents because it is so stable all year round. In appearance, it looks nice and no it doesn't spread its stage. But you can use it on the desert type landscapes with with you know, stones and river rock, or you can use it in forest type landscapes. It associates nicely with us because of the color contrast and a zealous too. So it's just a very versatile plant.
Speaker 1: And it.
Speaker 2: Maybe twelve is is tall or that the most the spectrum for eighteen inches, but you know this is Bartlesville. Yeah, so we get about total anticipate twelve. So wildlife don't like it either. They don't eat it.
Speaker 1: You don't you know, live so you don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 2: If your if your horse gets the way, he won't eat it.
Speaker 1: But look at it.
Speaker 2: And anyway, a lot of this is produced in Costa Rica. It's where they grow a lot of it for the market and we buy the little plugs and grow the moon and they produce over ten million divisions of variegated here down there. So anyway, it's extremely versatile plant in the landscape and one that doesn't spread too bad, kind of forms a clump. The drawback might be bermuto grass getting.
Speaker 1: Into it commingle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and have used a grass killer and it selectively removes the bermuda grass in your lario. We got killing that doesn't killing. The grass killer worked by stopping the production of chlorophyll and the plant just kind of starts to death and it kills it out separately. So so there are ways to to eliminate grass in your delirio. And that's that's one of the best ways. Really. I've had that problem in the front and we used the grass killer on it and one year I just gave up. We used round up round up and the experiment the delivery ope survived. Actually, wow, that's such a heavy root system that the round up doesn't kill it. But it was lacking in appearance, so there was that, but but it came back, But it came back. It's really it's a really tough plant. Yeah, shaken nuts diir. But but anyway, I've also found that creeping you you wantamus so you want to you want to miss radicans. Coloradus has a certain degree of immunity to round up because it has a very waxy leaf on it and doesn't absorb. Because of that physiological app attribute, I think it's carried on in the leuriopia as well, having a fairly heavy wax you leave, which would explain its abilities to survive with so many different environments, as well as the er rafkins Coloradus so cool stuff. Huh.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take quick break. We'll be right back after this four minute time out.
Speaker 13: Frank Phillips, the old man with barred, wired nerves and the courage of a wolf, didn't realize his own capacity to love until after the death of his dear wife Jane in nineteen forty eight. He no longer heard her laughter in the mansion in town, nor enjoyed the long drives out to his beloved Woollarrock, where they would often go to share an evening dinner. After her death, he found himself waking to the cold reality of her absence and confided to others that his soul ached. More and more of Frank's time was being spent at the ranch, sitting on the front porch of the lodge and enjoying the magnificent view and likely ref reflecting back on an incredible life of personal and professional accomplishments. However, without his wife in the chair next to him, these simple joys became shallow to Uncle Frank. After her death, those around Frank soon discovered that he had one desire, and that was to build a masolem at Woolloarock to serve as a final resting place for Jane and himself. He had picked out the spot years before, a favorite spot that overlooked one of the beautiful lakes that dotted the grounds of the ranch. Inspired by the memorial built for his good friend Will Rogers and Claremore, the mausolem soon became the primary focus of Frank's life. Once construction started on the mausolem in nineteen forty nine. He personally came out every day to see how work was progressing. Frank wanted it within walking distance of the lodge, yet not directly in the public eye, which is why he chose the site above Elk Lake, one of his favorite fishing holes at Wollarock. Built of native stone with no cut edges, the tomb appeared to spring from the side of the hill as if it was part of the terre. Workmen blasted through eighteen feet of solid rock to form the burial chamber, and the twenty four square foot room was lined with a twelve inch steel reinforced concrete wall. The chamber was air conditioned and a telephone was installed. Inside the mausolem is a circular rotunda outlined by eight columns of Saint Cecilia marble imported from Italy, which rises ten feet to a dome. The walls are covered with thousands of mosaic tiles, and in the center of the room is an eight pointed star formed by the different shades of marble. Construction took about a year, and as soon as it was completed, Frank had Jane's casket brought from White Rose Cemetery and a memorial service was held at the new mausolem. To his friends and staff, mister Phillips seemed happier than at any time in recent years. His final work was completed and he could return to the porch of the lodge, which he did until his death on August twenty third, nineteen fifty. The magic of Woolarock is a story worth sharing, and it can be found everywhere at this national treasure. Come see it for yourself and welcome home to Wallarock.
Speaker 14: What happens when a healthcare system truly listens. Haaling happens, hope happens, Good health happens at Ascension. We know because we listen to you to better understand you. Then our network of doctors, nurses and care teams at Saint John deliver a personalized healthcare experience that's right for you and your family. Find the care you need at Stjohnhealthsystem dot com.
Speaker 15: Jane Phillips and Bartlesville Hi Mike Maddics from Roman's Outdoor Power. Let nothing stand between you and the tree. Stand with a fast, durable cabodas Eyekick featuring a gas powered engine that delivers top speed of forty miles an hour, best in class acceleration and handling with cargo, and the shrink to haul whatntholic all back by a two year, one thousand hour warning zero percent for thirty six months for one point nine nine for forty eight now through nine thirty twenty twenty four. See US or go to Cabota USA dot com for more information. Get ready for a hunting season with a Cabota sidekick, Roman's Outdoor Power your local Commota dealer Highway seventy five in Bartlesville, Independence or online at Okikombota dot com.
Speaker 1: US Talk K one at AM fourteen hundred and FM ninety three three and ninety five one. Almost sounds like the game's coming on. Huh, it is a fine I guess sixty four degrees from sunshine and you're listening to the Green Country Gardener program with Larry Glass. I'm Tom Davis. Answer the phones. What ain't hundred seven four ninety five ninety three six Larry Passes? Getting time to plant those? Yeah, we've got them for sale up to the nursery right now. It's related to Viola's No not that not that big instrument.
Speaker 2: Anyway. The grow up of plants which Johnny jump ups are related to. Also, a Biola is a large genus containing five hundred different species, I believe it. Anyway, pansies and Biola's kind of have the same growth requirements too. We touched on them earlier about planting them and trying to keep the critters away from them too. But anyway, if you look at it, you take a little pot, it has a very fine root system on it, so you want to make sure you have very fine soil. Yeah, and a fairly good amount of organic materials to the soil too. Peat moss is a good amendment to the soil. It does help keep it kind of loose or the package compost or stuff like that. It will work out pretty well. But you do want to have an aerobic type of soil for them to do quite well. Anyway, God it they've been around since the fourth century BC. I mean they were planting pansies back then. What was the nursery like back in ancient Greece anyway.
Speaker 1: Boy, I'd be crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably cost three or four drachmas at least for a pansy plant. Anyway, sometime after the fourth century BC, Europe started to look at Bolism starting to grow them a little bit. And so they've been around quite some time. And the contemporary ones we have now we're developing the eighteen hundreds and so on, So eighteen fifty, there's so many new strains of pansies and so on, and from England and Scotland and Switzerland and all that. The hybridisation was used rather extensively back then to go all these different colors and plants and everything else. It's a very popular plant in Europe way back when. I mean way way back when. So anyway, right now, gall they this guy's a limit. There's so many things, And in doing my composition with pansies, I'd like to put them in kind of in the backdrop, see on a row or in a bed of annuals, and then put vio is in front. I see, the viola is a smaller kind of a miniature version of the pansy, and they have a whole lot of blooms on them, pretty nice rather yeah, rather dent show red dent show blooms, and a progression of height as well too. So panzies and violets I do very well here in the fall, in the winter time when he gets, Oh, I don't know, about six or seven hundred degrees blows zero get they get set back a little bit, but they come back in the spring. So they're very very cold tolerant. But you can't plant them into clay, I mean at the shovel. If the shovel bounces off the ground, you know, you might want to just the river rock and boulders maybe, So we kind of encourage people to prepare the ground real well when they're planting their pancis and the violas. Shortly also we will for the fall, we'll be having the flowering tail and flowering cabbage, and that gives you some color by the front door. They give you the colored foliage and the white and yellows and reds and the purples, different colors of kale and flowering kale so on. When you first get them, they don't have much of any of that color, but that happens when it gets consistently cool. Then the chlorophyll shifts and then they have all these different colors. So if you get a kail or a pansy or something like that right now, they're not going to be very showy, but they will be one of it cools down.
Speaker 1: Give them time. Now, what about bugs on these? They draw some of the kind of neutrals.
Speaker 2: If you plant them early, you're going to get maybe some caterpillars and about it. About it, yeah, but they typically they don't have they grow any time when the insects really aren't very active.
Speaker 8: Good.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we have these for sale at the nursery, the Panzies for sale. We got a great selection of house plants right now. More on the way and come by and check out the cool Water greenhouse.
Speaker 1: It is very cool. If you haven't seen the boats to drop bites for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, come by and see that. We're starting to get our fall trees into We've got growers all over the country. We bring stuff in from everywhere, punty stuff and Tom Kelly, I think we're time to end the show and keep that shovel sharp. We will see you next week.
Speaker 1: Flower Land, where emotions are expressed in creativity, is delivered flowerlandflowers dot com.