Speaker 1: Holiday magic is in the air at iFly Indoor Skydiving imagine unwrapping the experience of flight. iFly is the perfect unique gift for anyone who wants to turn their dream of flying into a joyful reality. It's unforgettable fun for all ages. Save over thirty five percent with iflies limited time holiday gift voucher Flight packages turn dreams into unforgettable moments with the gift of flight. Go to iflyworld dot com to purchase your holiday gift vouchers. That's iflyworld dot com.
Speaker 2: Did you know A twenty eighteen studies showed half of prenatal vitamins tested had unacceptable levels of heavy metals. I'm Kat, mother of three and founder of Ritual. When I was four months pregnant, I couldn't find a prenatal I could trust, so created my own. Ours is made traceable, third party tested for heavy metals, and recently earned the Purity Award from the Clean Label Project. But don't just take my word for it. Get twenty five percent off at ritual dot com.
Speaker 3: Slash podcast It's Night Side with Dan Ray w b Z Costin's video.
Speaker 4: Delighted to welcome Congressman Seth Moulton, Congress and Moulton Democrat from Massachusetts, now in his sixth term in office. Seth Moulton, Welcome back to Nightside. How are you, sir.
Speaker 3: I'm good, always good to be with you, Dan. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: My pleasure. For those of you who do not live in Congressman's district, He's a graduate of Harvard. While at Harvard, I was a member of the ROTC and served several tours in Iraq and Afghanistan when the fighting was the toughest, and has been now in Congress, as they said, beginning his sixth term, and has always sort of marched to the beat of a different drummer, I would say, and I made some comments a week or so ago, but I think if anyone knows Seth Moulton's background, he ran against an incumbent Democrat, John Tierney and defeated him, which did not sit well with the the powers that be in Massachusetts, and then at one point had suggested that maybe it might have been time for Nancy Pelosi to surrender the speakership. That did make did not make him a big fan of in the Speaker's office. And as I say, last week or so ago, in the wake of the election results, said that his party needed to maybe reprioritize some of the items that they were talking about. You you got some pushback, But let's talk about the general situation of the Democratic Party. Democratic Party had some This was a tough election across the country amongst a lot of voting groups that oftentimes support Democrats. What what generally does the party have to do here to correct its course?
Speaker 3: In your opinion, well, I mean think I think fundamentally we're clearly out of touch with the majority of Americas. I mean, that's kind of the definition of getting wiped out in an election like we did. And you know, there are a couple of diagnoses there. But first of all, we just got to start by looking ourselves in the mirror saying, okay, we got to make some changes here. And I personally think that one of those fundamental changes is we've got to listen to more Americans rather than preaching to them. We can be a very preachy party. You know, we know what's right, and if you don't agree with us one hundred percent absolutely our position, then not only are you wrong, but you're almost a bad person. At least that's the impression that I think a lot of people get. I've talked to a lot of voters who say, yeah, okay, you can talk me through the policies. I agree your economic policy probably makes more sense. Trump's going to raise inflation. I agree your border policy is more bipartisan and more humane. But we don't trust you on these things because you just don't seem to be able to relate to us.
Speaker 4: I think that is going with exactly what happened to me. It was it was stunning that Donald Trump, with all of his baggage, was able to not only win the Republican nomination, but then be re elected president for the first time since Grover Cleveland turned that trick back. And I think the eighteen nineties, what where do they have? Where do they have to go? You know, there's there are differences between the parties. Are there are differences on the economy, There are differences on war and peace. There are differences, and a lot of those ticket, big ticket items are very big important items. But it seems as if the Republicans and the Democrats were focused on some of the more cultural issues. Maybe with it with it, with the difference is more definitive, but it worked to the Republican's advantage. I assume you would agree with that.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 3: I do. I said the day after, the morning after the election, when we got on the morning call with my team and they asked my opinion, I said, this felt like a cultural election, like there's a cultural mispatch, and like it or not, Americans said, you know, we feel like the Republicans are a better fit. And in many times, in many cases they said that despite this fact that Trump was not a great candidate, I mean, which of course is an understatement, these convict the criminal. I mean, this is the other thing I have to say, Dan, is that when you're running against the party that's kind of going through a civil war, you know, between the Trump folks and the traditional Republicans, and they've got this guy at the top of the ticket who's who's literally been convicted in the court of law. The Democrats should have been able to clean up. I mean, this should have been easy for Democrats.
Speaker 4: And yet the Democrats rather the Republicans, countered on that. And I'd be interested in your reaction. They basically turned the prosecutions of Trump, I think, to their advantage, arguing that this was law fear and that Donald Trump hadn't done anything wrong, but the Democrats were trying to destroy him legally. Was it a mistake for that many jurisdictions. It almost looked like appiling on penalty to many people in this country. I think am I missing something there?
Speaker 2: Did you know A twenty eighteen studies showed half of prenatal vitamins tested had unacceptable levels of heavy metals. I'm Kat, mother of three and founder of Ritual. When I was four months pregnant, I couldn't find a prenatal I could trust, so I created my own Ours is made traceable, third party, tested for heavy metals, and recently earned the Purity Award from the Clean Label Project. But don't just take my word for it. Get twenty five percent off at ritual dot com slash podcast.
Speaker 3: Well, no, you're not missing anything about the attack. I mean, it's the ultimate and hypocrisy because Trump, of course has literally promised to go after his political enemies using the legal system, something that is so fundamentally Unamerican. I don't think there's a president in history who said that he will go after his political opponents with the legal system. That's what they do in Banana Republics, you know, that's what they do in China, but Soviet Union, so I mean, I think Democrats unfortunately just sort of dismissed this attack as ridiculous. But it worked. And in some cases with other issues, we just didn't even respond to the attacks, you know, we just said, oh, that's you know, beneath us, or that's not what people care about. But people were paying attention. And you've got to give it to the Republicans and to Trump and his team for running a very effective campaign.
Speaker 4: He also made it. In fairness, Trump and his team didn't win any much in Massachusetts. Really. There were a couple of legislative races, but obviously all the members of the delegation who stood, the nine members who stood for re election over into office, including yourself. But he made he made some in roads, and some of the other candidates, the Senate candidate against Senator Warren did better this time than the Senate candidate did a few years ago. Is that something to be concerned about? From that the party should be looking at and saying, if this is going on in Massachusetts, it may be going on in states I don't know, like a Minnesota where maybe the Republicans could could get a real a toe hold in some states that they're they're kind of off the board right now.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely we should look at that as the party nationally, but frankly the Massachusetts Democratic Party should look at that right here at home. I saw statistic, and don't quote me on this, I think I've got it right, but that Trump increased his Vogue share in Massachusetts more than in any other state in the Union extept one. So he went up like eight points or something like that. Maybe I don't have it exactly right, but the point is he gained a lot of ground in Massachusetts. Not enough to put him over the top, for sure, but we really got to pay attention to that and say, cheez, are we losing touch? Because it certainly feels to me like we are, And yet a lot of Democrats are just unwilling to have that discussion. I've sat through a couple meetings now where Democrats literally are just going around saying, hey, wasn't that bad. You know, Harris didn't do that great, but we did better in the House or whatever. I mean. Trying to spin this as a win is really stretching the imagination, and it just shows how some Democrats are just unwilling to face reality and recognize that we need to make some changes.
Speaker 4: My guest is Congressman Seth Moulton the sixth Congressional District here in Massachusetts. Will continue our conversation with Congressman Moulton. He will be with us until about nine twenty eight and I want to talk to him a little bit about the conversations that now are going on within the leadership of the Democratic Party and maybe it's time for some of a shakeup of leadership. I'd like to touch upon some of that when we get back. Seth Moulton's thank you very much for being with us. We'll be back in about three minutes.
Speaker 3: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World, Nice Side Studios. I'm WBSY News Radio.
Speaker 4: We are fortunate to be joined by Congressman Seth Moulton of Massachusetts, the sixth Congressional District. You talked earlier this month as a dad about your daughters on an athletic field. I think everyone knows what you said, and you spoke as a dad. Which of two girls? Were you surprised by the invective that was directed at you by members of your party. I think you referred to it almost as a purity test.
Speaker 3: I mean, in some ways, then I wasn't surprised, because this is exactly the point I was trying to make. It's that you can't just speak authentically about certain things as a Democratic party because they're considered off limits. And the big problem for us is that these are things that other people are talking about, including Trump and millions of dollars worth of ads in this election. So you know, he was attacking trans people and we couldn't even talk about it and have a reasonable response and just say, you know, here's a reasonable policy or whatever it is. And that's silence. I think it's politically stupid. It allows the other side to set the terms of the debate, and it ultimately hurts some of the people that the Democrats are actually trying to stand up for. So that's the problem. I was using this as an example of the cancel culture that's become rampant in society these days, in college campuses and within the Democratic Party, the fact that we can't even debate certain issues. So I guess maybe I was surprised that they went so far. Some of the crazy things people have said on the Internet and in interviews about me is certainly extreme, but in some ways I wasn't surprised at all that I was going to get some backlass.
Speaker 4: Well, a lot of the keyboard warriors, they will say stuff on the Internet that they wouldn't dare say to someone face to face, but they have the anonymity and the protection of the Internet, so they can they can do what whatever they want. You know, if I look back in my lifetime, the two most successful Democratic presidents that I can think of, well, Bill Clinton, who had his own problems, but he was smart enough, very smart and worked with Republicans on the economy, worked with Nuke Ankridge. And President Obama, who used to, you know, emphasize that we're not the red state, the blue states. Where the United States of America, you know that term you've served under him. And President Obama deported a lot of people who should not have been here and was called by some people actually the deporter in chief. So I look at those two examples and I think, how far, how far has the Democratic Party gone? Would Bill Clinton or Barack Obama be tolerated within some wings of the far progressive wing of the Democratic Party. So how do you think, you know, policies that Bill Clinton espoused, that the Barack Obama espoused would be perceived by would be welcomed, are not welcomed by a lot of Democrats on the front, honestly.
Speaker 3: Honestly, Dan, I'm not sure they wouldn't be canceled as well. I mean, remember, Barack Obama came into office opposed to gay marriage, something that I'm very proud to support, and we led the nation in Massachusetts is saying, you know, it's none of our business as a government who you want to love, and so you know, in frankly, I don't know that they would feel you know, they would have gotten I guess the point is they would have gotten some of the same backlash too. And someone like John F. Kennedy, I mean, my gosh, if you look at some of his policies, a lot of people in my party would have just called them a Republican.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and maybe a right wing Republican tiboot. I mean, I remember, I was young enough to remember the big issues of the Kennedy Nixon campaign. I'm sure you as a historian remember, but you weren't born at that point. With the islands of Cumoya and matt Sue, two islands off the coast of China, and whether or not then the Red Chinese were able to stay there, or whether the nationalist Chinese the Taiwanese could take those islands back.
Speaker 3: So look, you know, in some ways, we've come a long way as a party, and that's progress that we should be proud of. But the problem is that we've preached tolerance for so long, We've worked so hard at tolerance that we've actually become intolerant. And you can't win elections if you don't represent the majority of Americans. It just doesn't work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you don't have to compromise your principles in order to represent the majority of Americans.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, that's right. I mean, I wasn't even telling us to change our policy thing about this, Dan, I was just saying, let's have a debate about it, you know, let's just be willing to talk about it. And it's kind of shocking that that is so difficult for us right now. But look, that's why I'm forcing the conversation. And I got to tell you there are a lot of Democrats who are hearing this, you know, sure, there are a lot of independents, even Republicans who've reached out to me and said, yeah, you know, that's that's why we didn't vote for you, or that's the problem. But mostly I've been hearing from fellow Democrats who said, yes, Seth, this is what we need to do. We just need to be willing to take on these tough issues, to have a debate, to understand what we need to change, to come up with a winning strategy, because we clearly didn't have one last week. So the reaction has been very positive across the board by a large even though there's these loud voices on the internet from the extremes. And I've also had some really good conversations with leadership. You mentioned democratic leadership. I had a long conversation with the Keem Jefferies several days ago, and look, he agrees with me, we have to have these tough conversations, and I think he's going to be part of helping to lead that.
Speaker 4: Well, I would. You've been there a while and at some point I suspect you're going to find yourself in leadership. I think that I think you're on a on a path that's going to be good for the Democratic Party, the Republicans. I'm sure you saw some of the cabinet choices that President Obama rather President Trump has just announced, including Matt Gates, which to me is a I have no idea what's going on with that one.
Speaker 3: He's just insane. He's just insane, Mackie, they're nominating him to be the chief law enforcement officer in the country. I mean, he's under ethic investigations, sexual misconduct. Uh, he literally trafficking girls. Uh, he has been under criminal investigation. I mean, it's just it's it's just unbelievable.
Speaker 6: It's like, uh, well, the string that the thing that the only theory that I kind of that I can think is that, uh that Gates has agreed to be sort of a sacrificial lamb, and that all the focus is going to be on Gates and some of the other The focus would be so intense on Gates that some of the other nominees will will.
Speaker 4: Not be in the line of fire, if you get my drift. I don't know if you think that's reasonable or not, but I think maybe, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was a veteran's fundraiser tonight and in Washington, and there's a lot of concern a lot of people asking questions about the nominee for Secretary of Defense, Pete Hexas, and and and in some ways that's that's exactly right. In fact, that's what I told some people, is that a few ago it looked like he might not make it through very thin resume a history of politicizing the military, which is another just very Unamerican thing to do. And yet no one's talking about him right now because all the focuses on Gates. So you might be right. I think one of the things about Donald Trump is, you know, I have a lot of problems with his basic principles and values, as I know many other Americans do too. But he's not inty it. He's calculating, and he's a pretty savvy politician, so there's usually some rhyme and reason behind what he's doing.
Speaker 4: Where do you think it goes from here? I assume you're not about to back off and basically go along with the crowd. Do you think there's a place for you to stay in the in the Democratic Party and become a voice, even a more effective voice for the party nationally. I'm not suggesting that you're going to run for president or do anything like that right away. But I'm just wondering that this is not discouraged you. Knowing you as I think I do, it probably has encouraged you.
Speaker 3: Well, that's exactly right. You know, Marines aren't that good at retreating to them. And I have no intention of backing off, backing off from my fundamental point here, which is, we got to be willing to have debates. We got to be willing to talk about these things. We've got to be willing to fix ourselves. That's what we need to start doing in a Democratic party. And if we do that, we've got a bright future. And I think that we can make a case to Americans that we do have better plans for the economy because Trump's tariffs and tax cuts for the rich are going to raise prices for everyday Americans at the grocery store. We do have a better plan for the border, because remember Democrats worked with Republicans in the Senate to come up with a bi partisan border deal, and Trump thank it because he said he wanted to make it a political issue for the election. He's playing politics with the border. We actually want to fix it. I know that that's not our reputation, but My point is we have the ingredients to be successful, but if we're going to do it, we got to and a lot more time listening to Americans instead of talking down to them. We got to spend more time out, you know, hearing from Americans all across the country and saying what can we do for you? Not how can you conform to the Democratic Party?
Speaker 4: Well, again, I thank you for the time tonight. We've followed it pretty closely. As they say, I think that you're on the right side here, that you need to have different voices in the party and all those voices need to be heard so that the American people understand that there's a bigger tent the Republicans. For a long time, we're accused of having too small a tent, And believe it or not, I think the Republicans now have increased their tent, or at least increased the number of people in their tent, under the leadership of a president who is pretty pretty controversial president.
Speaker 3: And we'll yeah, see that's right. They're ten is bigger than ours right now, and that's what we got to fix.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I mean, I.
Speaker 4: The only thing I want to tell you what I said about the election, and I want to be honest with you, I'm very happy that it was a decisive result, because I was really fearful that we were going to go through another twenty twenty if it was a two seventy two to two sixty six, you know, electoral college split. And I'm hoping that that it gets that it quiets down the next few months because I never want to go through another post twenty twenty election again in my lifetime.
Speaker 3: So it was absolutely terrible for the country, and you're absolutely right that it was just terrible for the country. I mean, the reality is that if Trump had just barely last lost in this election, he was going to pull those Shenanigans again again, something that's not happened, you know. That's that's that's not the tradition in America. The tradition is the peaceful transfer of power. And regardless of what the result is next time, whether it's close or decisive, or whether it's a Republican Ormocrat on top, we've got to remember our fundamental values as democracy that the voters have to say and it's not up to the president or anyone else to change, you know, to try to try to change their minds or change the results. Those are some of the fundamental American values that I think we're losing touch with and we have over the last few years. And you know, part of part of the Democratic Party's future and leadership for the country is reminding folks what America is all about. We're not going to do that if we have a narrow tent, uh, with certain views that we're just forcing everyone else to conform to, rather than listening to Americans and hearing what the issues are that matter to them and how we can make a difference to improve their lives.
Speaker 4: So that's what I want to ask you one of the question. I'm going longer than I than I said, but I'll just give me one more minute here. I have a belief, I have a theory. Uh, And I'd love to know if you think if you think I'm crazy, tell me I'm crazy. If you were one of the early Democrats who, after the horrible debate that President Biden had with President Elect Trump in late June, who said it was time for a change, you were out early on that, and it took a while, but he eventually decided to surrender the nomination and allow Vice President Harris to run. Do you have any thought or idea as to why the Democrats within the White House would have allowed Joe Biden to be put in that situation in late June. I believe there's a story here, and that there were people in the White House who knew that Joe Biden had lost a lot off his fastball, and that you remember he held that He released that videotape one morning I think it was early in June or late in May, in which he basically it was only about a thirty second tape. He kind of looked like Clint Eastwood and said, Donald, I know you want to have a debate, Well make my day. Do you remember that?
Speaker 3: I don't remember that, but I mean, look, it's I mean, this is a terrible decision on the part of President or his team or some combination of too to hold out so long. It was a mistake. And I love Joe Biden, He's been a political mentor me.
Speaker 4: But wasn't it a mistake to have not only waited so long, but then to throw him out there on whatever it was June twenty sixth or whatever after and do as badly as he did it. I just think there's a story there that that that eventually is going to be told. And I don't know if you, I don't think you you you buy what I'm what I'm suggesting that I think that there was a there was finally a panic within the White House and they decided he's got to go, and that was the way that I think they showed him the door.
Speaker 3: Could be wrong, Yeah, I don't know, I mean, because what I remember is that I was privately pleading with the White House, you know, the people I knew who were close, like right around the inner circle to the President, that you've got to ask him to step aside, and there was no response. And it was only after that that I went public. I think I was the third in the in the Congress, House or Senate to come out and publicly say he's got to step aside, and then it was yet another week before he did.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 3: It didn't feel like he was being pushed from the inside. It felt like he was being pulled from the outside from those of us in Congress, but not to step aside. So I don't know exactly what happened, but there's no question it was very difficult for Harris to run an incredibly short campaign, and it must have been the shortest presidential campaign in history. And that's not an easy thing to do. And guess what, it didn't work.
Speaker 4: Lets you go back to probably eighteen twenty or eighteen twenty four, they didn't have them quite that that length. And Seth Molton, thank you very much. Again. I hope you get a profile and Carriage award from the Kennedy Library. But don't hold your breath.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, than for having men.
Speaker 4: Congressman Seth Molten from Massachusetts. We're going to go to news and I'd love to know what you think. Do you think he did the right thing? Uh, for himself, for his party, for his country. That's my question. Six one seven, two, five four to ten thirty six one seven, nine thirty. Back on night Side, let's talk a little politics. Beginning at ten o'clock. I want to talk about some of the cabinet nominations that the President has made. Some of them I think are really good. Uh, there's a couple at least one that I don't understand, but we'll talk about that beginning at ten. Coming back on night Side. Right after this, It's night Side on.
Speaker 5: Boston's news radio.
Speaker 4: Go right at the phone calls. Let me go to Tom and Brockton. Tom, welcome back. How are you sir?
Speaker 7: Welcome Hey, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 5: Can you hear me? Okay, I can hear you? Just find Yeah.
Speaker 7: You know, at the beginning of the interview that you had with Seth I was totally on board with him with what he said that the Democrats, this party of twenty twenty four, they're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole in my opinion. Now, the other thing that bothered me with what he said, though, is that he talked about Trump going after his political enemies. Well, what do the Democrats do in New York State? They went after their political enemy. Donald Trump had not been alleged to have committed a crime while he was president. Leticia James as well as Alvin Bragg both sat on the campaign trails. Not so much brag, but there is video of him saying that he would investigate the Trump organization.
Speaker 4: Well, and what, by the way, you're right on Letitia James as well. I mean, let's see what let's see what Donald Trump did does going forward. Uh, he was he was, he faced he faced criminal indictment in Georgia, as well as in two federal courtes. The federal courts are going to go away. Uh And I would think that if I think the Georgia case will implode of itself. But again, my my goal was to find out what Moulton was was thinking.
Speaker 5: I understand that, you know so, and.
Speaker 7: The the the other thing that he brought up that politicizing the military, well, what did Joe Biden do politicizing the military? I mean, some of his appointments were ridiculous. And the other thing with regardless of some of the.
Speaker 4: Other policies, and some of the policies too absolutely.
Speaker 7: And the other thing is that with the terrorists, Yes, well, if Trump gets into a trade war with China, it is going to hurt the American consumer. There's no question about it. And there's a reason for that. And I would like to say that to mister Moulton's face, is that because we had a president named Bill Clinton and a Senator named John Forbes Kerry who said, you know, China becomes a trading partner with us, they're less likely to build up their military and they're more than likely going to become a democracy. It didn't happen. Those are the smart people that tell people like me, well, Tom, you just don't know what's good for you. You know, you're not as educated as I am.
Speaker 5: Also the Democrat Party.
Speaker 4: You're channeling John Kerry here. Look at how this whole thing with the Jpark thing has worked out with Iran. I mean, Iran now is a much more dangerous enemy, if not to us, although that argument could be made, much more dangerous enemy to the state of Israel. You know, it's funny, they they they I did three people the other day who are planning an assassination of Donald Trump. That story seems to have disappeared from the major American news media.
Speaker 7: I will not name the other station, but there's a station and that basically is on the low end of the FM dial. That the week about a week after the Supreme Court decision was made that Trump could not be prosecuted for presidential immunity whatever, you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: It was let me just let me just say this real quickly too. It was a much more nuanced decision than that. I mean, as long as it was within his his his actions as president, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Right, well.
Speaker 7: One woman called in from Cambridge where else, and said that you know, the only thing I think we can do with Donald Trump is we're going to have to JFKM. And the two hosts sat there and laughed about it, you know, and poo pooed it. And what happened. A week later?
Speaker 5: Trump got shot. So you know, I'm sorry that.
Speaker 4: And then two months after that, there was a guy waiting in the bushes so on side on the golf club so and he actually might represented if he hadn't been detected, he would have been probably fifty yards away from Trump.
Speaker 7: If Trump with an AK with open sites, I used to own one. Okay, with open sites, you can hit a human being very easily.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could pick. You could pick, you know, whether he wanted to hit the ear or the eye or whatever. I mean, it's you know, Tom is always great. Great to hear your voice. Your connection is much better than the last connection we had when you were calling from the Philippines.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I apologize that for your listeners not Wi Fi there. But hey, here here's here's the good news, Dan. My fiance got approved for her fiance.
Speaker 4: Excellent, excellent, Well, congratulations to both you and to her. Thank you, Tom. We're talking about great good night. I'm gonna take a very quick break. If you'd like to join the conversation, I get one lot. Well that just filled. If you like to join the conversation, I got one line at six one seven. We are going to talk politics for the rest of the night, but I also want to talk at some point, particularly after the ten o'clock hour, about this spate of nominations that President elect Trump has now announced. There's some very interesting nominations there, some that might be criticized, some you might like. We'll talk about that. It's been an interesting week. We never got a chance to talk about it last night, so that's what we will do when we get back. Right after this very quick break on Nightside.
Speaker 3: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on w b Z the news radio.
Speaker 4: Okay, back we go, are gonna go to Glenn and Brighton.
Speaker 5: Glenn.
Speaker 4: Appreciate you holding on your next one night saga right ahead, Shirt.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm hoping sometime you could have him back so.
Speaker 5: It can take you can take calls for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I will, and I think he will. I proposed the injury. I wanted to give him a chance so he had been you know, uh so I thought unfairly criticized to to deal with me as in an interview that would would give him an opportunity to express his you know, his situ his his positions. And I think he I think he positioned himself pretty clearly.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: In fact, he's my favorite Democrat. If they were all like him, might still be a Democrat. Well, because he's got objectivity. Now, I don't agree with him about the things he said about Trump, but I'm a Trump for having I agree with Tom on that. But I remember Seth Moulton, even though he was against the Iraq War, he enlisted and went anyway, and that carries a lot of weight with me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was he was a guy coming He was a guy coming out of Harvard. And by the way, uh the new secretary, or the nominee for Secretary of Defense is also a combat veteran, uh and and a highly decorated combat veteran. And I think that I don't have any problem with that nomination. I do have some problem with the Matt Gates nomination, but we'll get into that later.
Speaker 5: Oh, I disagree with you there, but that's all right.
Speaker 4: But no, I I just think that look, if if if Trump wanted to nominate an attorney general who would have been a tough attorney general. You got and you wanted to have somebody who had media background. What's wrong with Trey Goudy?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 4: I mean, uh, Trey Goudi would have been uh, you know, former prosecutor himself. I don't know that Matt Gates has that that level of experience. Never mind and the among the baggage, I don't think Age is going to be confirmed to be really honest with you.
Speaker 8: I mean, well, what I'm gonna say is I heard some of that exchange with Sais Molten and the people that were they were targeting him, and he couldn't even say I don't like when he said, I don't like a biological boy. He's who says that he's a girl playing on a woman's sport. They were like, sir, you're not being very respectful to the transgender community. I mean they they really were this rude and disrespectful to him.
Speaker 9: Arrogant.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Again, I think that the average person is going to look at that and say, I don't think that I didn't perceive what Molten was saying was critical of people in their lives who happen to be transgender. I don't think that. I don't think that that boys may you know to genuinely males should be competing on girls teams. I don't.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because of the upper body strength advantage. That minute boys have you got it?
Speaker 4: You got it? All right, Glenn. We'll try to get you next time, I promise.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, and I hope I can call him.
Speaker 8: I even called you in a while.
Speaker 4: That's okay, you can call him all night eleven o'clock hour. You know everybody's got a hall pass. Okay, thanks, buddy, doctor man. Thanks have a good way. Let me keep rolling here. Bill is in Whaland, Massachusetts. Bill, you next on Nightsager, right ahead.
Speaker 9: Sorry, I'm not I'm not going to speak very long. I've been Nord has been very impressed by Congress from Moulton, his service to our country and his whole story and how he has challenged some of the the old guard Democrats old guard. But I really took offense to his comments, uh basically saying that I don't want his little girls run over on a playing field by a male or a formerly male athlete, and he I think, first of all, I disappointed he didn't take any calls. I'm not an Internet complainer. I don't hide behind my keyboard. But I think he failed to recognize that his comments were not just disrespectful, but painting trans young men, or for that matter, trans women who wanted to compete on a male team as bullies, as intentionally running over little girls.
Speaker 4: Well, how I didn't. I'm gonna I just feel if you could. I don't think he was suggesting intentionally. There have been some incidents around the country, and some here in Massachusetts. There was a girl a year ago, and you may have seen the story. If you did, great, If you didn't, let me just explain it quickly. Who was playing field hockey and she took a shot. You know field hockey as not ice hockey, obviously, I'm sure you know what it is. They have a hard wooden ball, same same principle, and a male for trans mail whatever whichever you know term you're comfortable with. I took a shot and this girl took it right in the mouth and she lost several teeth. And this was a h a strong person who who fired that shot. And there have been other instances. I think that's what he was referring to look.
Speaker 9: I'm sorry, I'm gonna I want to interrupt you because he was not he was he was painting trans trans people as people who are going to run over little girls. How would he feel if his little girls happened to be very tall or overweight? Should they not be allowed to participate in sports because they might run over an opponent? It basically paints trans people do he paints trans people well, in a very broad brush, just like gay people were painted with broad brush back in the fifties. It just isn't necessary. Excuse me, excuse me.
Speaker 4: Let me interrupt you just for a second if I could, since I was just give me one second. You made a point, you know, for example, in Pop Warner football boys pop Warner football, there are weight classifications, so there is there are some kids who are by the age of thirteen or one hundred and fifty pounds or whatever, and they have considerations for that. I coached little boys and girls when they were playing kindergarten in first grade soccer, and there was never a problem. But by time kids get to high school or junior high school, they can be a significant difference in their strength.
Speaker 9: Go ahead, but that's not something you have to blame on trans people, and that's what he was doing. He was speaking specifically trans people. Of course, you know in boxing they have different weight classes and wrestling different weight classes. That's not what he was saying. He was targeting trans people as being ineligible basically to participate on a team with his little girls.
Speaker 4: And I think girls happen to be young.
Speaker 9: Right, finish my sentence.
Speaker 4: Well you interrupted me. Go ahead, we get a minute left.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Okay.
Speaker 9: What I think he needs to do is understand that trans people come in all shapes and sizes, just like little girls come in all shapes and sizes. But by making a statement which I'm looking at, he was basically demonizing them, saying that they're going to run over little girls. And I know plenty of bullies that are men, bullies that are women. And there are plenty of softball teams now that are integrated. If you can't stand the heat, then don't play. If you're going to get hit in the mouth with the ball, it could have been hit by a very strong woman too.
Speaker 4: So go take a look at that. Go take a look at that video. You know, when you get a chance, if you can find that video, go take a look at it. Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 9: I'm sure their exceptions to the rule. Dan and people like that should be counseled by their coaches to say that's not appropriate, but it could have been.
Speaker 4: Fortunately, fortunately that it didn't happen in that case, we have done. I'm not cutting you off. I'm just telling you, gone, no, no, I'll tell you what you can do. Why don't you stay there and I'll put you on on the other side of the news. I got to take a newscast and I'll give you a couple of minutes on the other side. Is that fair?
Speaker 9: That's fine?
Speaker 4: Okay, you say right there, we'll be back with more conversation. We'll get this right away, right after the news