Speaker 1: Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free, anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's you brighten your day alone, actually a lot. So sign up now at chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: Nopers necessary Daloid where everybody lost he terms and conditions eighteen.
Speaker 3: Plus Judy was boring Hello, then Judy discovered Chumbucasino dot com.
Speaker 4: It's my little escape.
Speaker 3: Now Judy's the life of the party.
Speaker 4: Oh baby mama is bringing home the bacon.
Speaker 3: WHOA, Take it easy, Judy. Jump the Chumba life is for everybody. So go to Chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump Chumpacasino dot com Noprid's necessary point. We're promited to my eighteen plus terms and conditioned to plus what.
Speaker 5: You are now listening to True Murder The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski, Good Evening. Over thirteen months in nineteen seventy six seventy seven, four children were abducted in the Detroit suburbs, each of them held for days before their still warm bodies were dumped in the snow near public roadsides. The Oakland County child murders spawned panic across southeast Michigan, triggering the most extensive manhunt in US history. Yet after less than two years, the task force created to find the killer was shut down without naming a suspect. The case went cold for more than thirty years until a chance discovery by one victim's family pointed to the son of a wealthy General Motors executive. Christopher Bryan Bush, a four time convicted pedophile, was freed weeks before the fourth child disappeared. Veteran Detroit News reporter Marnie rich Keenan takes the reader inside the investigation of the still unsolved murders, seen through the eyes of the lead detective in the case and the family who cracked it open, revealing evidence of a decade's long cover up of malfeasance and obstruction that averted justice for the victims. The book they were featuring the Seising is the Snow Killings Inside the Oakland County Killer Investigation, with my special guest, journalist and author, Marnie rich Keenan. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for this interview. Marnie rich Keenan, Thank you, Dan, thank you so much for joining me. This is an extraordinary book and an incredible case and incredibly disturbing. Let's get right to this. Give us your background and how you came to this story, when you became involved. Give us the particulars.
Speaker 4: Sure. I'm a journalist. I've worked for newspapers and magazines for several decades. The last twenty six years of my career, I was a reporter and columnist for the Detroit News. I grew up here in Oakland County, so I knew the crimes well and anybody who lived here during that time was deeply affected and had never forgotten it. The entire Metro Detroit area had been terrorized, and specifically Opening County, which is just northwest of the city. I think it had about a million residents at the time, was in a you know, a state of full panic. And so that you know, Opening County has long been ranked among the top five or ten affluent counties in the nation. It was it was home to auto barns and wealthy entrepreneurs who had built their summer homes and estate cottages here. So when these crimes occurred, families, you know, enjoyed nice neighborhoods and nationally ranked school and for something like this to happen was almost inconceivable, and in hindsight, many of us will agree that we were both naive and in denial. Really, I came to the case because I had interviewed Barry King over the years I was a columnist and interviewed him on anniversaries of the crimes. Of course, Barry King was the father of the fourth victim, and one night in October he called me and my editor to his to his house and we were there for three hours and He started the conversation by saying, the story I'm about to tell you started in a big white house right across the street. And when he ended the interview, he said, you know my family and I think we know who killed. And that of course was the story of Tech Coffee and Chris Bush. But maybe I should I should provide you with an introduction of the crimes.
Speaker 6: Well, you also do that in the book. You start off as January fifteenth, nineteen seventy six, but you say the story must begin a full month before the first victim was snatched. So in January fifteenth, this story starts with Cynthia Cadeou, sixteen year old high school student, tell us a little bit more about this and why this is necessary to know before we talk about the four murders that constitute the Oakland County child killings.
Speaker 4: Well, in this in the same time as our four keykids went missing, there were uh three young women. They were older, they were they were teenagers who were also wound up missing and and their bodies soon discovered afterwards. So UH this only in increased the fear and panic in the area. It wasn't too long before uh police decided that these three murders of these three girls were not related to our four Oakland County child killing kids because they were able to solve them quite readily, and because they were older and their uh kidnappings in and man of death didn't fit the pattern that our ford did. Nonetheless, there was a total of seven kids who went missing to begin with, and that only heightened the fear.
Speaker 6: So let's go to February fifteenth, nineteen seventy six and Mark Douglas Stebbens, which is twelve years old. I'll tell us a little bit about what happens.
Speaker 4: So around lunchtime, Mark Stebbins was at the American Legion Hall in Ferndale with his mother and his older brother, and there was a pool tournament there. His mother worked there, and he wanted to go home to watch a movie on TV. And so he said goodbye to his mother and his brother and he started to walk the few blocks home on the sidewalk, but he never arrived home. His body was found four days later lying against the partition wall in a neighborhood shopping plaza, a strip mall in the nearby town of Southfield. And then this was followed by three days after Christmas, Jill Robinson, who was twelve years old, close to dinner time, had left her mom's house in Royal Oak She'd had a bit of a disagreement with her mom over making dinner. She left her mom's house in Royal Oaks. Her parents were divorced, and she jumped on her bike, presumably to ride to her father's house in nearby Birmingham, but she too disappeared. Four days later, the day after Christmas, Jill's body was spotted by a passing motorist along I seventy five in the pull off lane. I guess you would call it near an exit and she had been shot in the face. Only a week later, as it turns out, on January tewod, the day after New Year's Day, Christine Helleck, who was ten years old, to her home in Berkeley at about three in the afternoon. She wanted to walk up to the nearby seven to eleven store to buy a teen magazine for Christmas. She'd been given an album by one of her idols, Donnie and Marie Osmon, and his teen magazine that she was after had Donnie and Marie Osmon on the cover, and the clerk remembered you know, selling her a magazine, and Christine was seen walking home along time twelve mile road, but then she vanished. It seems hard to think of this, but Christine was gone the longest she was gone nineteen days. Grutable, Yeah, and you know it's her mother. Deborah Jarvis said to me that the reason she thinks Christine was kept so long was because Christine was so delightful and so sweet to be around. In any event, Christine was gone nineteen days. And on January second, the day after New Year's Day, a mailman was delivering mail to in a residential area in nearby Franklin when he saw something blue in the snow bank, and it turned out to be Christine's jacket. Of course, after Christine, law enforcement knew they had child serial killer on their hands. Christine's parents appealed to their captor on TV. They organized citizens searches on foot CEBE radio club members. I don't know if people were even know now with CB radios are, but they joined in the effort and the case was all over newspapers and TV. And that's Berts warned that if the maniac was not you know, apprehended, he would surely strike again. And so now, as I said, police knew they had a serial killer on their hands. So Robert Robertson, who was then commander of the Criminal Investigative Division of the Michigan State Police, had phoned several police chiefs from jurisdictions where you know, either the kids were snatched or where their bodies had been found, and he pulled them all together in an auditorium and that was meeting, the meeting where they uh uh became known as where they formed the Olkon County Child Killings Passforce.
Speaker 6: Okay, so they have they have the three children, and they find evidence of sexual assault. They have actual sperm found in the vagina and rectum. They also have you have you talked about Michigan State Police Lieutenant Robert Robertson organizing other police from other jurisdictions and Oakland County as well. You also say that the effort that they did at that time, including Detective Sergeant Increase, which was of the day to day operations he was in charge of. What are some of the things that they did to try to search for these potential offenders.
Speaker 4: Well, they were they did an amazing amount of things that they This is of course before Tim went missing, but they shed their postal carriers on come all together, and they developed a profile of the suspect and delivered that profile to anybody and everybody. The one of the problems was since none of the kids, there was no witness. Nobody had heard any screams from these abductions, nobody had seen any kid forced into a car. And as a result, everybody became The police thought the children must have gone with their captor willingly, they must have have recognized who it was. And as a result, you know, everybody became suspect. Members of the clergy, teachers, coaches, They went into schools and UH police officers had teachers quiz children to see if there was anything, you know, untoward going on in the kids' lives that they wouldn't necessarily bring up to to their folks. Some kids were even fingerprinted. It was a massive, massive search. But as one and they and tips came in and they they started UH they I think they pulled the records on all the known UH sexual offenders at the time, and but every one of them had had alibis. And then a couple of months months passed after Christine and and and then Tim King on March sixteenth, nineteen seventy seven, Tim, who was the youngest of marrying and Barry King's four children. He was eleven years old and he bowed thirty cents from his older sister Kathy to walk two blocks up to a nearby pharmacy at drugstore called the Hunter Maple Pharmacy to buy a candy bar. And you know, of course Tim had been wild schooled in stranger danger. Everybody knew what was going on and it but Tim, I should say, Tim had also been seeing his folks for a long time to be able to stay home long. He was eleven, and Kathy really thought it would be fine for him to you know, walk the two blocks up to about a candy bar, so she loaned in the thirty cents. It was, I think a Wednesday night. His parents had gone out to dinner at a nearby restaurant which was actually kitty corner from where Tim would be abducted. Barry, who was a well respected attorney, and his wife Marian, were going to have a will signing with a client couple and then have dinner. Tim's brother Chris, who had just turned sixteen, was babysitting and Mark his other brother was at a play practice at middle school and Kathy was getting ready to go to see Jerry Lewis do a stand up routine at a hotel. So Kathy told him, you know, she'd leave the front door locked for him to be able to return, and she told him to be very careful crossing Adams Road. And Tim left it about seven I think in Cathulus. Fifteen minutes later, Marian and Marian were arrived home at nine pm. They were followed by Mark and Chris, and Tim was nowhere to be found. They called their friends and neighbors. Chris King told me a story about getting in the car with his guy friends' houses and scan backyards and by now was late and and said they drove up to one house and it was you know that it was pitch black, and he said, Mom, I'll just go up and knock on the door anyway, and she said no, you know, she said it's no use. And Chris said, you know, from that moment on, it was horrible because you knew what was going on.
Speaker 6: There was a witness that was said that somebody he saw a man speaking to Tim, and from that description, what was the description, but also the description of a potential vehicle, yes, uh, which.
Speaker 4: Which turned out to be one of the cases worst red herrings. But a day or so after Tim disappeared, a woman had told police that she had just finished grocery shopping for the night, I mean the night tomb was missing, and she was loading her groceries into her car and she said she saw a kid she identified as Tim because he was wearing his red hockey jacket. And Tim, she said, was talking to a man who she described in detail. He had long, dark hair with sideburns. He was I think she said, he was between twenty five and thirty years old. And she said they were both standing by a blue AMC Gremlin with the white hockey stripe. Of course, thereafter the entire area, you know, was blanketed by posters, you know, showing up the police composite of the sketch of the suspect and the Gremlin, and uh, police thereafter, you know, just sought out every owner. I think they they they got a list of every owner of nearly every owner of a Gremlin in the state. It was something like eight thousand owners. Uh. They ended up pulling over three thousand Gremlins, but it would take a long time to learn that the group blue Gremlin was was probably not the car they should be looking for. That myths became very hard to just fell. You know. I should note that that that night that Chris or that Tim went missing, Chris couldn't sleep, and so his elder brother, who was sixteen, so he grabbed the baseball that and he walked up to the high her Maple Pharmacy parking lot and there were three or four cars barked in the lot, and one of them listening and see gremlin with he was, you know, with a white hockey strike, and he remembered looking in the car and there was nothing. But when police came and interviewed the Kings, Chris had told them about how really the Gremlin couldn't be the suspects of Vehicke because he had seen it later that night, long after Tim had gone missing. But for whatever reason, the police discounted, you know, a sixteen year old version when you know, up against a person who had said she witnessed him.
Speaker 6: Now let's talk about let's talk about doctor Bruce Danto just briefly, because this is obvious lead to avail. But this guy offers to develop a profile of course free assistance. So he has a theory basically, what's his theory? And and you talk about this is day four, by day six people find the body of Kim King.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So Bruce Dantro was a psychiatrist and he loved the media. And his theory was that the killer might be trying to extract revenge on his family. And I think he thought he was a Vietnam veteran, and he Bruce Dantro really felt that he could he could possibly draw the killer out by communicating with him. And he had the a lot of different machinations and orchestrations to to try and draw the killer out. One of them was to go on the radio and dropped some some huts and and and he also wrote a letter to the killer that was published in the newspaper and said you can stop this now, and if you're reading this, please write me a letter. And indeed somebody named Alan wrote him a letter. They never found found out who the letter write, who Alan actually was. He had the newspaper print of fault weather report is a means to communicate with the killer the police. He was sure that uh something about nuts and squirrel road that the killer was was mining his victim squirrel searches for nuts, and later he put that out as a hint, and later police had a stakeout on Squirrel Road. It was. It was not very fruitful, but but interesting. Nonetheless, of course, you know, during this time, while while team was missing, the panic and fear was enormous. The the case became national news. It was. It was. It was on the cover of People magazine. It was covered by Walter Cronkite. And while Tim was missing, the Oakland County prosecutor at the time, Brooks Patterson, had authorized law enforcement to pull over and search every vehicle on the streets over that weekend. Tim was kidnapped on Wednesday. So the following weekend, Friday and Saturday and Sunday night, between two and six am, every vehicle on the streets was pulled over. It was. It was a huge effort. It was also unconstitutional. But the reasoning was because the kids were killed within an hour of being of their bodies being downe they were hoping to intercept the killer. They were driven by the urgency to possibly find King alive. I think I said that they pulled over over two thousand cars and one of the cops said, you know, no one complained.
Speaker 6: Yeahs A sorry, let's usus as an opportunity to stop for these messages.
Speaker 1: Hello, it is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumpa Casino's home the hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome that's Chumba Casino dot com and live the chumber line.
Speaker 2: No for necessary detail whereby lost terms conditions eighteen plus. With Lucky Land slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 5: Really beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 4: Sorry, we're here.
Speaker 3: We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 1: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a gets registered in.
Speaker 4: In that case, I pronounce.
Speaker 2: You lucky k for free at lucky landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary BOID. We're prohibited by lock eight team plus terms and conditions APPLAG see website for details.
Speaker 6: Now you talked about the Tim King investigation and this panic that hits the community, the county and they're pulling over vehicles and then they find Tim King's body, yes, after six days. Yes, So now we're talking of bout. You have a task force that is organized and with Lieutenant Robinson as the commander and Detective Sergeant in Priest as his right hand man, and Lieutenant Joseph Kooning later is Robertson's successor. You talk about at that time that there at that time there was a theory that was espoused by these three people. What was that theory? And regarding this Oakland County child killings?
Speaker 4: That theory came after in nineteen seventy eight, after the task force had shut down because they believed that they had run out of money, and reporters who would circle back to their police sources, you know, the following winter when it snowed and on anniversaries circle back to their police sources and to ask them why the case was never solved and what they thought had happened in the case, And with striking similarity, all of the officers u spaun a theory that said, basically, you don't have to worry, it's been taken care of. Uh. The the our theory is that the killer was likely from a wealthy family, and the wealthy family had arranged to have the killer institutionalized for life, and so long as no other children went missing, ah, and nobody else would ever have to go through this again. It was put to rest. Some of the the the theories even went so far as to say that the families were aware that the killer had been institutionalized for life and rather than risk going through a public trial and having to you know, go through the agony of their you know, public reef beyond display or they were, they were okay with that and willing to put it behind them it. You know, of course, decades later, it wasn't no until decades later, how closely that theory aligned with what actually happened.
Speaker 6: You write in this book and you have a use this opportunity to educate and enlighten people in this book about the confluence of events as you describe it, the things that happened in the seventies, the laws that existed in the seventies, and the laws that didn't exist in the seventies, and then just the burgeoning growth of the child pornography industry given those lack of laws and just the confluence of events. So you talk about the cast Corridor in Detroit, You talk about Oakland County being one of the most affluent communities in the country, but Detroit, because of the recession, turns into a very murderous and crime ridden place, doesn't it. So tell us a little bit about the things you discuss.
Speaker 4: Sure, I most people don't realize, and certainly we didn't realize at the time that child prostitution and child pornography, uh was a multi million dollar industry and it completely underground, and it took off in part because there were it was highly profitable, and and it took off in this country because there were actually no laws, no federal protections for for children the books to prevent it. You know, outside of a Juvenile Delinquency Act, which you know took care of runaways, there just weren't any protections for children from from predators or and or you know, actual exploitation. The Cast Corridor was a ten block area just northwest of the city. It was once densely populated with immigrant families who had moved north to work in the auto factories. But as you said, the recession of the early seventies hit the city and the cast order even harder, and the area became a haven for the drug trades and sex workers and kids ran wild. It became a quote unquote predator's mecca, and a lot of child pornography took off there. Detective Williams, whom I'll get into later, but the lead detective in the case, spent three years unraveling the child prostitution and pornography rings that were operating really under our noses. And it's amazing that he was able to identify several hundred men that they belonged to a very structured organization and it was broken up into you know, hidden sells, much like I would think the terrorists health we think of today. And the leaders of the cells had organized seconds and lieutenants and targeants, and and he was able to identify quite a few, you know, politicians and labor leaders and auto executives who were who were involved in sharing kids.
Speaker 6: So you talk about go ahead, Sorry, you say, it wasn't until go ahead, you say, it wasn't until the summer of seventy six that the first threat of the nationwide child porn ring started to unravel. And it began in Michigan with the arrest of a gym teacher at a Catholic school in Saint Clair County who had connections to the case, Gerald Richards, and that led and that led to real estate developer. He told them about real estate developer Francis D. Sheldon, who had purchased North Fox Island in La Michigan. So what did he tell authorities? What did he tell authorities about Francis D. Sheldon and North Fox Island?
Speaker 4: Gerald Richards worked for Francis Sheldon. Francis Sheldon was a wealthy real estate developer from Growth Point, which is east of Detroit. And he came from one of the espetially one of the country's most prestigious families. He was you know, his his his grandfather was a founder of the Package Motor Company. His father was a land developer who was responsible for two of Detroit's most prestigious subdivisions. And you know. Francis of course went to the best school and he was immensely wealthy. In nineteen seventy six he was worth several million dollars. But he led a double life, and turns out that he was the financier behind these child pornography rings. He was. He financed the the ring that we were talking about in the cast Corridor, and he also created his own child pornography ring on North Fox Island, as you said, he purchased it in nineteen fifty nine and he built it, built an airstrip and several cabins, and then he recruited young boys to come to his so called nature camp. It was called Brother Paul's Children's Mission, and he had it incorporated and it was funded by our tax dollars, but instead it was a tax dodged and kids up the island were filmed, but and then the home. The film was then shipped the Amsterdam or it was developed and mass produced and then sent through the mail. So in July of nineteen seventy six, Gerald Richards, who was Francis Sheldon's underling, he was a photographer and he was incorporated in the pit and the Brother Call Mission. In those legal papers. Gerald Richards was the director, but he was also a school teacher in import Huron and he got picked up on a charge for molesting a young boy. And at that point he tipped out Francis Sheldon, and just merely by coincidence, Francis Sheldon, I think, called Gerald Richards wife at the time, and she informed Francis Sheldon that Gerald had been picked up by the police. And immediately Francis Sheldon emptied his condo in ann Arbor and and fled the country. And sadly, he was never extradited.
Speaker 6: So go ahead, do you talk about the Also, what Arthur's had said is that there was a filing cabinet that Sheldon would carry, would move from place to place. And then when they you know, he had ample time to take off covers, tracks, and they went and of course no filing cabinet whatsoever, no evidence left.
Speaker 4: Behind, right, But of course you know, Gerald had pictures and he was able to alert the Saint Clair Police all of these other child pornography rings across the country, and so the Michigan State Police and the Saint Clair Police here notified authorities in Tennessee and and in Illinois and UH and in other places. So police then became us, you know, it became a cross country race.
Speaker 6: Now tell us why it was called the Snow Killings. And then introduced detective James Williams and then Corey Williams.
Speaker 4: Sure, there are there are two what I like to think of as really momentous things that happened in this case that that that I guess I call were serendipitous or providential planets aligning, you know, however you want to think of it. But one of them is this, uh, Corey Williams. He grew up in Berkeley where where Christina Hellick was from. His father, Lee Williams, James Lee Williams, as you said, was a police officer, and he not only worked on the case. Lee Williams was very good friends with Christine's grandfather, and Corey remembers the night Christine went missing because her frantic grandfather called called Lee Williams frantic saying Christine is missing. Yeah, uh, you know. Corey remembers being afraid and talking with his brothers at night about what they would do to get away from the killers that they had to and it was interesting because his dad, you know, worked the case like mad and decades later, Corey would run across you know familiar names, which were the names of cops that his dad had worked with. In any event, Corey joined the army and became a US paratrooper, and when he came home, he joined the police force in Lavonia. And Livonia is this city where Tim's king body has had been found. But in two thousand and four, Corey Williams was assigned to re examine a fifteen year old cold case. It was the homicide of the owner of the Detroit Cap Company. His name was Avier Giller, and he'd been shot dad in his dragway after arriving home from work in ninety eighty nine, and the killers stole killers, you know, cash he would every night he would bring home the day's earnings, and the killers took off driving across the country. So Corey is reading these old records and he found that the killers and or the suspects at that time, had been arrested in Pennsylvania on their cross country trip, and he'd been arrested for armed robbery. His name was Richard Blowson. And Cory's reading these records and reading where Richard Lawson was trying to work out a plea deal, and he told these small town Pennsylvania cops that he had first hand information about Michigan snow killings. Of course, you know the pencil they need. The detectives had no idea what he was talking about, but Williams knew instantly what he was talking about. The Open County child killings had also been called the snow killings because the killings had occurred in winter in their abductions had often occurred when they had snowed. So now Williams is not only eager to solve the cold case of the cab killer, but he also is really anxious to find out what Richard Lawson knows about the snow killings. And since Richard Blossom was a prolific predator and new and awful lot he hung out that was his stopping ground was the Cast Corridor. Richard Lawson was able to tell Williams that he, along with others, were prostituting children in the Cast Corridor to quote unquote rich executives in the suburbs during the time of the occ K case. So while investigating the Cast Corridor, Williams was able to secure a conviction and a lifetime sentence for Lawson, you know, for the murder of Xavier Diller, and he was also able to arrest and convict another pedophile who was Lawson's companion. His name was Ted Lamborghine, and he's now serving three consecutive life sentences, you know, for raping boys in the cast Corridor. All along, you know, the King family had been closely following the Losson and Lambergine court proceedings because of what Detective Williams was learning about they Elton County child killings and their connection to the Cast Corridor, and they had been deeply impressed by Detective Williams. And of course this now leads us to Kathy King calling Corey Williams in July of two thousand and seven because she said she had something of enormous importance that she wanted to talk to him about it. And this is what I consider to be kind of like the second providential part of the story, because what she had to tell him was a story that Bary King told me that night about about that big white house across the streets from the King's. What she told Cory Williams was that Pat Coffee was a young boy who grew up across the Street in that big white house from the King's. He was a childhood friend of Tim King and was deeply affected by the murder of his childhood friends, so much so that he decided to become a polygraph examiner. And in two thousand and six, Patrick Coffee was at a convention in Las Vegas and he was giving a presentation to to you know, to the National group of polygraph Examiners about a specialized way of conducting polygraphs. And in the audience was a man named Larry Wasser. Larry was president of the Michigan Polygraphers Association at the time, and Larry Wasser was very impressed by Pat trick coffee presentation, and afterwards he went up to him and he said he asked him if he would be interested in coming to Detroit to give the same presentation, and Peraps said, well, of course, you know, you knew would be interested to know that. Uh, my career ambition was born out of the tragedy of my of my childhood friend who was murdered. And perhaps you know the case. It was called the Olton County child killing case. Mm hm and Wasser, uh I think you know, Pat told me Wasser's jaw dropped and and he said, I know the case very well, and for whatever reason lawyers have said it wasn't excited, I did utterance. But for whatever reason, Wasser blurreted out, well, I guess I can tell you this now because the suspect is dead and so is the attorney. But I tested the suspect who confessed to killing your neighbor boy, and in doing so.
Speaker 6: Excuse me, let's stop to use this opportunity to talk about our sponsor, which is fab fit Fun. My wife Lisa received her winter fab fit Fun box a little while ago, and as always, she was anxious to try all the products she ordered. Because it's winter, it's dry skin and also dry hair, and so Lisa tried the Rhythm of the Rain hair mask and Scalp Detox. She loved how soothing it was on her scalp. Also, she wanted to try ACV Apple cider vinegar dry shampoo powder. She said it refreshed bushes her hairstyle when she needs too quickly. She loves it. She discovers all the latest beauty products with Fatfit Fun, and Lisa tells everyone about what a fantastic deal fatfit funboxes are fatfit Fun are passionate about showcasing amazing women, with sixteen female founded brands in the Winter Box, choose from a super wide variety of products in which to order. No need to leave home to get these seasonal must halves. Order your Winter Box today. Sign up now so you can snag amazing products like the Summer n Rose Coves Robe or the ACV Dry Shampoo. Use coupon code murder for ten dollars off your first box at www dot fabfitfun dot com. Use coupon code murder for ten dollars off your first box at www dot fabfit Fun. Now, Martie, I excuse me for interrupting you, and especially he's not a very very exciting admission. We now have this, as you say, this spontaneous utterance of something that he likely you know, didn't want to or didn't believe it was important to say. He just uttered it now when there was going to be confirmation for what he had just said. What was his response.
Speaker 4: He denied the conversation. And the reason he denied the conversation is because when he said that he had violated polygrapher client privilege right, which is the same thing as attorney client privilege. And sure, ah for for a you know, for a polygraph examiner who makes his life, you know, minding the truth, for him to have done that pretty much amounted to career suicide. But he did later deny the need that the conversation had ever even happened between him and Pat. And but when when Kathy called Detective Williams and told him about this conversation, Detective Williams was able to get an investigative subpoena and forced Wasser to come to the Wayne County Prosecutor's office and uh excuse me, Wasser you know, fought the the uh sebpoena and he later negotiates a deal with the Wayne County Prosecutor's office, whereby he didn't give hints to what the name is because he claimed he could not remember the name in exchange for not having to go under oath. And finally a name emerges, and that name is Christopher Brian Bush. Corey begins to investigate this name, and really an avalanche of evidence you know, came pouring down. Christopher Bush was the son of a prominent GM executive. He lived in Birmingham in Bloomfield village, which in a sprawling five bedroom home that was less than five milradius. Of all four victims. His father, h Lee Bush was chief finance officer for General Motors, a huge position, and Christopher Bush was a four time convicted pedophile and he but he'd never seen the inside of a jail cell. And that's because h Lee Bush hired a defense attorney whose name was Jane Burgess to defend his son. And h Lee paid Jane Burgess handsomely and flew her around in the family's private airplane airplane to plea bargain his son off of all these charges. So Detective Williams works alongside the Michigan State Police Detective Gary Gray, and together, you know, they amassed an incredible amount of evidence against Chris Bush. Chris Bush's companion and fellow pedophile, Greg Green, told police they were Greg Green and Christopher Bush were arrested at the same time in January nineteen seventies them and when they were arrested, Greg Green told police in a separate interview that Christopher Bush had murdered Mark Stevens, Christopher Bush's nephew, told Detective Williams that and Christopher Bush, unfortunately was abusing his nephew, and Christopher Bush's nephew told detective Williams that that his uncle Chris had taken him to the counter Maple pharmacy during the height of the killings, and he pointed to Tim King. I mean, what I mean to say is that the case was all over the papers, and so my nephew said, what is this And he took his nephew to the parking lot and said, you know, Tim King was standing right over there. He pointed to the area. When Chris Bush was interrogated in Flint, he was asked where he'd liked to pick up boys, and Bush recited, in chronological order, the three sites of the first three victims abductions. And I think it's it's interesting to note that greg Green, who did not come from a family of means like Chris Bush did, was arrested for the same charge with the same kid at the exact same time as Gregory Green. I'm sorry, as as Chris Bush, and he received a life sentence and Chris Bush walked. So money and power can get you a lot of things. One of Jose go ahead.
Speaker 6: You also have a witness that Williams finds and it's the first Flint, Michigan victim, Kenny Bowman. So he tells of Green and and also of Pardon Green and both of these people together. Yes, he told the both of them, and saying that Green was far more violent as well.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, of the two. And he was, uh, he was, he was very violent. And and one of the other victims he was violent with. We suspect is Vince Gunnel, who was a friend of Kenny Bowman. He was a friend of Chris Bush's nephews. They had all grown up in Flint together. And Vince Gunnel's we we think must have been severely beaten by Greg Green, because he Greg Green when asked about I think he was asked, ah, who his enemies were or who was the person he would most likely like to see dead, and he said Vince Gunnelds that one. When Vince Gunnelds was interviewed and interrogated by by Corey Williams, Uh, Vince Gunnelds refused to say that he ever even knew Greg Green. So interestingly enough, Vince Gunnalds was found to be a mitochondrial DNA match too, or what they'd rather call He shared the same profile consistency DNA profile consistency see of excuse me a hair that was found on the sweater of Christine Mahellick. He also failed a polygraph on the case. And to me, Vince he was a victim of Chris Bush City, he had no idea how how he could have been connected to the hair. He said, you know, maybe it was because I was in the car. I was in Chris Bush's car. Uh. And you know he also lied about knowing Greg Greg Green, which was which was very curious. I should say. The most damning evidence I think that detectively inspired was in Chris Bush's suicide scene. He was yeah, yeah, and it was hostage that not many people believe that it was a suicide. But Chris Bush was found dead in his bedroom of his parents' home in November of nineteen seventy eight. Kim King was the last victim, so that would have been in March of seventy seven, so a little more than a year, and he was found dead from a hunting rifle wound that curiously enough, was shot right between his eyes. He had a blood alcohol level of point forty one, which I understand his kne lethal and so it's it's really questionable as to how he could have managed to, you know, shoot himself with a hunting rifle. There was no blood fetter on the wall. And also a police found when they responded to the scene, the drawing of a young boy who was Yes, it was a sketch and the young boy was screaming in anguish and he resembled Mark steven It was taped to the wall. There were ropes in the middle of the closet floor. There was a shotgun shell from a twelve gage shotgun that was left very conspicuously on the dresser. You know. Of course Williams wondered, he's looking at photos of all this, She's wondering where the ropes that are and could they possibly have been used to have found Mark Stevens and Timothy King. It was a twelve gage shotgun that had been used to kill Joe Robinson, but of course by nineteen seventy eight they in nineteen seventy eight police had tossed all that evidence and the body was cremated days later. So in any event, Williams presented the entire case to Jessica Cooper, who had taken office. She was the open County prosecutor and she an office in March of two thousand and nine. I'm sorry she'd taken office in January of two thousand and nine and eight. He first presented all the evidence to her, but she was nonplus. She was not moved at all, and she said come back when you have more evidence. I think it's important to remind you. You know that Corey Williams works in Wayne County and his boss is Wayne County Prosecutor Kim Worthy.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: Whatever Jessica Cooper's motivations were, and some have said that Pruss Peter Cooper was dead set against the Bush lee because she was friends with both Chris Bush's attorney Jane virgin who had passed away, and or Larry Wasser, the disgraced polygraph examiner, or whether she waged war with her counterpart, you know, Wayne County Prosecutor Kim Morthy, a pure political ambition, whatever the case was, she eventually got detectively and skilled out the passport. She lied about critical evidence that was found in twenty twelve, and she repeatedly discounted the the Chris Bush lead. She she treated Bary King horribly and and you know, thereafter just dismissed the Bush lead and said that it was a non start.
Speaker 6: We have to we have to ex we have to sorry, we have to explain though that the Barry King, his wife didn't want to have anything to do with this. She wanted to just have the memories of Tim and that's it. But he was a fighter, and so he always pressed the authorities for information and he is the one he and his family Kathy broad King, who also brought the first lead, the lead about Chris Bush to authorities exactly. And so a part of this is you say, I'm not really you're not really sure how big a role politics plays in there, But also just the ego that you see many times between jurisdictions where Cooper accuses Worthy of tipping off of leaking information or Williams leaking information, yes, whereas both of them just want to involve Barry King, who's an attorney and his family who have done good work and they believe deserve not only to know what's going on in this investigation and be apprized of it, but also that they that they're they deserve to know this information. And so has Cooper has issues with that, and also the King family said if we don't get the kind of answers that we're looking for, then we're going to go to the media. And so Williams warned Hooper that was the case. He didn't He wasn't threatening on behalf of them. He was just warning her, surprising her to the reality of the situation exactly.
Speaker 4: But that's not the way she saw it, you know, she decried him as a leak. She and shortly, you know after in October two thousand and nine, I broke the Bush lead. And because as you say, Barry King followed through in a threat, because they were being stonewalled, nobody except Wayne County would give him any information on the lead, very lead. You know, his family was responsible for developing. You know, he mounted a years long foil lawsuit, which Jessica Cooper fought all the way to the Supreme Court. He he Bury King made it his mission in life to seek justice for his son. He would he talked to anyone who would listen, senior men's clubs, press conferences, and he felt sure that the reason law enforcement would not talk to him about the Christopher Bush k is because they didn't want the public to know that they had covered up Chris Bush long ago to say, faith I, you know, there's a really important point to be made here, and it's one that Chris King impressed upon me long ago, and that is that had that providential conversation never happened between Patrick Coffee, the the poligrapher who was also a family friend, and Larry Wasser. Had that conversation never occurred, we would not know about Christopher Bush. We wouldn't be talking about Christopher Bush. I wouldn't have written a book. None of this evidence would have ever come to light. And that's because it wasn't supposed to that. That's by design, and that's kind of the premise of my book. They I I think I found evidence in it, and the book lays there that at the sight of the suicide scene, the Michigan State Police and members of the Oapen County Task Force who reported to the to the scene realized at that suicide scene that they had you know, they had already arrested Christopher Bush at the height of the panic, but then they had let him go and they had released him. And only weeks after they released him, the fourth victim, Timothy King, was snatched and killed and Corey Williams said as much too. He said he believed that the officers who arrived at that scene, and you know, a scene that really just screamed child killer, what with the drawing in the in the shotgunshell and the ropes, they had to have gone back and ran Bush's name against their records and discovered that he was a suspect that had been cleared by a polygraph and freed, you know, only weeks before Kim King died. And so rather than expose the fact that they had had him and let him go, they decided to close the door on investigating you know, Bush's involvement when they had the chance.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: And I talked to a too who was at the scene and told me just that he's in Florida now. His name is James Spiker, and he said, yeah. They tried to keep it confidential, as I remember, it was, you know, guys, let's just be cool about this. They didn't They didn't want the public to know that they, you know, had let their guard down. And as time went on and the killing stop, that just gave more credence the fact that he was the killer. And Spiker said, you know, we've got sure the task Force was going to say, you know, they'd solved it and closed the door on the case, but instead they they they shut it down.
Speaker 6: Let's use this as an opportunity to stop for these messages. Now you talked about that they just shut this down. It's obvious and your investigation and Corey williams investigation that this was a cover up and that there was wealthy people involved. But what we haven't really described is that this Corey Williams, he was obsessed with this case. And it's amazing, amazing the links and the links that he did. That he explored all the links, all the connections, all the deviants and sex offenders that were connected and confronted them. And it's very fascinating to see him confront people, bluff them and just deal with them and express his true feelings about these people. Yes, yes, he's quite obsessed with this case.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and yeah, there wasn't there was not one stone left unturned. There was, you know, not one lady did not chase And he retired, as you know, at the end of last year. And so he had investigated the case for fourteen years. I mean imagine trying to you know, solve the case. Your father could not. He was he was very close with the king family, you know, and it was I imagine, you know, it was very hard for him to retire. I know it was very hard for him to retire. But at least he could be secure in the knowledge that he put away for life several horrible evils who to ruined the lives really of scores of untold kids, you know, who were whose whose wives were really ruined by by at the hands of these of these evil men, I mean Richard Blowston and and Ted Lamborghin and and I think too, uh. In September of twenty eighteen, I was with them when he went to the Kings, and he was able to tell Barry and and Chris and Mark that indeed they've been right along that there was a cover up. To say face he had he had produced a three page from fourt that he compiled on the theory of his cover up. And he told them, you know, the bottom line was, you know, there were cops who covered their asses once they found Bush dead. And of course and he also both he and he and kim Worthy, nobody did more to advance this case than than Wayne County, kim Worthy and and Detective Coy Williams, and but they weren't running the show. The Michigan State Police and the Open County prosecutors were. And he was able to and of course the Kings knew this. He was able to tell them that, you know, the most garious decision was the decision to keep the King family in the dark about everything.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So you know, I have to say the Kings were not surprised and that there was little comfort in the recognition that, you know, I think Chris said, we've been victimized twice, you know, first by a predator and then second by assistant that, yeah, that played us. So the good news is in August this past year, Jessica Cooper was was voted out of office. Barry King passed away right before Thanksgiving this year, I was able to hand them the book, which was which was, which was wonderful for me because I you know, I hope, at least I know, I think I know that the book served as a sense of vindication for him. Yes, I'm and and I'm I'm happy to say that since the book has been published, uh, more than a few new leads of surface and some victims, some very courageous victims, have come forward, so you know the truth, the truth matters. M hm.
Speaker 6: You talked about throughout this book the providence and or divine intervention in a couple key and a couple of key points. But what adds to the horror of this of these child, these innocent children being abducted and tortured and held and killed. And we didn't get into a lot of the graphic detail, but what was fascinating, and again this comes up over and over again, is the premonition by Jill Robinson with another of just months before. Can you tell us about that?
Speaker 4: Yes, she did. These parents have such amazing people, uh, Carol Felt. Jill's mother was divorced at the time, and she was the mother of three young girls, the oldest and she had said that Jill was having uh some just I guess, you know, teenage issues. She had recently moved to Royal to a new home, and uh, Jill or I'm sorry, her mother decided to send her to a therapist just to make sure she was adjusting well. And the therapist suggested that that they that Jill get a cat, and so Jill got a cat. And but Jill was really really almost wise beyond her years. From her mother's description, I would describe her as an old soul. She she not only read books, she read the newspapers. And she described one night saying prayers with Jill, and Jill broke down into tears and she said, Jill, you know it's madder, and she said, Jill said, I don't know why, but I've been having dreams and nightmares and I think, uh, I think I'm going to be killed. I think I'm going to be shot. And you know, of course I think it was after that, now that I think of it, that Carol took Jill to someone she could talk to. But you know, for as for as much as she could try to console her child and say that's that's not going to happen, of course, I can you know, I can't imagine the grief after the fact. Yeah, you know, knowing that your daughter had a premonition.
Speaker 6: It's interesting too that none of the other victims were shot, and so you just surmise or or suggest that there was a reason for that. But again adding to less coincidental, this could possibly be.
Speaker 4: There is a theory about about Jill being shot that I should mention because the other three were suffocated and it was thought that perhaps Jill was suffocated as well. But when they laid her down on the side of the highway, Jill at the time was wearing her backpack, the backpack she had been wearing when she disappeared, and it was thought that when they laid her down, perhaps the pressure of the backpack on her back and on her lungs made or expressed a hush of air, and perhaps to the killer they thought, oh, she's breathing, she's still breathing, she's alive, and then got the shotgun to shoot her in the face. But we don't know.
Speaker 6: We spoke about Francis Sheldon and the kind of motivation. We didn't really draw the lines to him, except to talk about that he was so worried that he fled the country. But you do talk about in the end of the book where he went. You follow him, You track him to find out where he went to and why, and how he was able to escape and stay out of the country. Tell us a little bit about what you found about Sheldon. Francis Fragis Sheldon, pardon me, Yeah, that's all right.
Speaker 4: There were numerous sightings of him reported in the in the years after he fled the country. He was cited in Amsterdam, who was rumored to have been married and was living in France. He I think he was cited in the West Indies. Even today, even as recent as today, Corey Williams gotta somebody sent him a photo of supposedly it's Francis Sheldon sitting in an orphanage in Africa with a bunch of world little kids around him. You know, the mysteries abound, But the Michigan State Police court files records say that he passed away. I believe it was in nineteen ninety six. But he was never held to account. He was He sent letters to some of the kids that that he had groomed, letters of apology. You know, he fronted a lot of his favorite a lot of his favorites. He funded their college educations, and so he sent letters of explanation to at least one of them that I know, saying that he was sorry that an emergency had come up and he had to take a long trip. But you know, these people groom their victims so much so that they believe they have a real relationship with them, relationship akin to log and that that young man that I spoke of in CHARLDI boy ended up taking his life because of it. So and the other interesting thing too is and I won't go on about this, but so many people say when when talking about about the child pornography rings, and people like Francis Sheldon, how could this have happened? You know it we're so we're so appalled at at the horror of children being subjected to such things. And I, you know, I have to say, I think our own sense of denial is to be blamed. This was happening underneath our noses. And we have only to look at the Catholic Church or you know, Jerry Sandusky to know that many of us turn to blind eye because it was too abhorreant to be believed. But it goes on, and it goes on still into this day. It's called sexual trafficking. And you know, some people have said that Francis Sheldon was rather that Jeffrey Epstein is the modern day equivalent of Francis Sheldon, because you know, they're both on private island.
Speaker 6: So yes, what was once a very alarming situation got worse. In two thousand and eight, there was federal legation, legislation to stamp out child pornography. However, as you say, there's so many cases now that they simply just have to prioritize by age and if you know, and that just sounds like they got a prioritize by the youngest people. Children are being abused and you created and killed and sold. Yeah, yeah, incredible, incredible. I want to thank you so much for coming on and talking about the snow killings inside the Oakland County Child killer investigation. Has been fascinating. Is there a website or a Facebook page that people might take a look more information about this, Yeah, tell us about that.
Speaker 4: Sure, and thank you Dan for having me. It's a pleasure. My website is called simply the snow Killings dot Com.
Speaker 6: Great. Thank you so much, Marnie Richard for the snow killings inside the Oakland County Child Killer Investigation. Incredible. Thank you so much. You have a great evening, good night.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it you too, Thank you Dan. Bye.