Speaker 1: Well, the Dodgers need reinforcements, and I'm with one of them today and that's Dodger top pitching prospect or one of their top pitching prospects, Ben Casparius. Ben, thanks a lot for the time and great to introduce you to Dodger fans.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, thanks for having me. It's good to be here.
Speaker 1: Obviously, last night went sideways on the Dodgers with Kershaw coming out of the game and having you use seven different relievers. When did you get the call, hey, we kind of need some reinforcements today.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: I got the call late last night.
Speaker 3: I was notified a little bit earlier in the clubhouse after our game. It ended just to you know, be understand by, have my phone on me and just wait and kind of hear what was going on.
Speaker 1: Where was Oklahoma City? Where did bank Casperius come in from?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 3: So we were in Round Rock, Texas playing the Rangers, Triple A affiliate for the week.
Speaker 1: So I hope at the very least you got Group A on Southwest.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: I did, so I can't complain about that.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, how anxious are you to get into a game because the Dodgers called you up? In a similar situation, they did not use you. But how anxious are you now that you're here to be used in a game?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think I give a little bit of relief to the bullpen in kind of an extended bullpen role. So I mean, whenever that time comes to and I hear my name call, that's going to be a really exciting time.
Speaker 1: Obviously, the Dodgers have tapped into their young pitching talent the last couple of years. What's it like to be that guy at this moment to be called upon?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think it's, you know, one of the biggest compliments in the world, especially doing it with the Dodgers, and you know how much how much star power they have, the way that they're able to develop pitchers throughout the minor league.
Speaker 2: So it means a lot to me, and it's it's great to be here.
Speaker 1: Ben Casparius is our guest as the Dodgers and Diamondbacks are getting set for Game two of this four game series. The last couple of years, I mentioned some of the young pitching that the Dodgers have called up for their major league debuts. Emma she and Gavin Stone are a couple of names that come to mine as well as Landed Nack that not only have started, but also I've been very good at being coming out of the bullpen. Are you one of those guys too that can do any one of these type of rules?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 3: I think that's a big reason why I'm standing here today, is just being able to be versatile, give a different look, whether it's later in a game, whether it's you know, second or third inning, or starting a game.
Speaker 2: I think I'm able to.
Speaker 3: You know, just be able to handle those different roles coming out of the pen or starting a game.
Speaker 1: Is that the new norm bend where guys have to be able to be more versatile than say twenty years ago, where you are just a starter and cannot change your routine.
Speaker 3: I think with the amount of injuries across the league wide and just kind of being able to manipulate the roster of the way teams are now, I think it gives guys a better chance to crack the big leagues and just show that you can, you know, handle a different workload if it's thrown at you and kind of just go about your day the same way, whether it's a the start or if it's in the bullpen.
Speaker 1: How many times have you done this where you started? Obviously you're a starting pitcher, but how many times have you come out of the bullpen in a situation that you may be used tonight?
Speaker 2: Yep? Well this year once.
Speaker 3: Okay, I was lucky enough to be in there wason A Fall League last year where I solely did that, So I think part of the reason was to manage workload, but I think a big part of it too was just to pitch late into the year, into November, come out of the bullpen in a new role and get used to that. And then I did it a little bit last year in Double A also when I got it initially promoted.
Speaker 1: You've had a great season, and obviously I've earned this opportunity. How would you describe this season and you coming of age?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think for me it was always just trusting my stuff, staying in the zone with my fastball, expect swings every pitch, and really just the biggest part of it is just keeping myself healthy and staying on a good routine for the entirety of the year.
Speaker 1: Is that the biggest thing for pitchers? Maybe we're getting back to that where you have to establish your fastball command.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe so.
Speaker 3: I think I think there's only really a few guys who are you know, ninety or eighty percent breaking ball. So I think fastball command, for at least for me, is key.
Speaker 2: And you know, I think I'm gonna miss more bats the more my fastballs in this one.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if you do this or whether or not it's emphasized in the minor leagues, but I've heard great catchers and great pitchers talk about establishing the down and away fastball to right handed hitters. Is that something that is emphasized or in your bullpen sessions? Is that something that you focus on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think for me, it's, you know, covering the up quadrant with my fastball with when I'm ahead and account if I want to steal a strike, it's down in a way, And I think my slider will play better off fastballs that are kind of executed down in a way to righties and down in the way to lefties.
Speaker 1: Bank Aspirius is our guest. He's here in Arizona. He will be available tonight coming out of the bullpen. Gavin Stone starting for the Dodgers. He's been obviously a revelation this season. I'm not sure sure where the Dodgers would be without Gavin Stone. How well do you know him and how much have you been following his season?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I've known Gav probably for two years now. It was kind of funny every time he got promoted, I felt like I was.
Speaker 2: Just missing him by a team.
Speaker 3: So okay, I mean I've followed him for two years. He's a great due and he's an unbelievable pitcher, and he's done special things this year.
Speaker 1: Is there anything that you have in common with guys like Gavin Stone, Landon Nag, Justin Robleski even though he's from the left side. But is there something that all of you guys have in common to be able to be under the same umbrella of an organization like the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it really comes down to just trusting our stuff, going out there, competing and you know, giving our team the best chance to win. And I think it all starts with the basketball, and I think all four of us have pretty good fastballs.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go, how will you get ready for whatever is called upon tonight?
Speaker 3: I think just sticking to my routine. It's just another game. It's another day. I think convincing myself that it's going to kind of like ease my nerves a little bit and just you know, go out there and have fun because you only get to debut once, so.
Speaker 1: No doubt, we're looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Ben.
Speaker 1: Whenever that phone rings, we're looking forward to seeing Bank Aspirius. Thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you,