Speaker 1: Get ready for.
Speaker 2: November one, twenty twenty four, allegedly according to that thing we call a calendar, or November first, if you like to say it that way. This is a Friday night on the Ocelli Effect. And it's a little bit after eight pm Eastern. Looks like it's about almost nine minutes past the hour of the of eight pm in what we used to call America in the Eastern time zone. But whoever you are, wherever you are, your experience could vary. Anyhow, Hopefully we'll have people joining us. Doesn't look like a lot of people are listening to the stream yet have gone into the chat room, etc. Makes you wonder what else it is I need to eliminate here, because I'm going to start eliminating some of the things that you guys are not utilizing. The chat room I keep just for that handful of people that go in there and live chat.
Speaker 1: But you know, do I need it? Do I need that?
Speaker 2: Do I need to even live broadcast anymore? Well, this show doesn't exist without live broadcast. And you calling in at three one nine, five, two seven, five zero one six three one nine five two seven five zero one six And just for the record, we are exactly three weeks away from when I'm going to Dallas, so I'll be off for about a week there and be there on the weekend of the twenty second of the twenty fourth uh as the MC for the Lancer conference. But uh, and when I returned from there, I'm really hoping that we're going to have a much more steady flow of guess and maybe a bit more consistency on the internet, because despite the fact that I pay one of the most ridiculous internet bills that I can even imagine or conjure, guess what, my internet has been down.
Speaker 1: A lot lately.
Speaker 2: We lost it for fourteen hours, we lost it for nine hours, we lost it for and there's been outages in the area, which is weird. Here also did not hear extra outside of the original one, two, three, four people had problems with their payroll recently, All simultaneously. Somebody's payroll got jacked up, and there's different explanations for it everywhere, but payroll checks were delayed for a short time period. There seems like that trend might have ended, or I'm just lucky enough to know four people at the very same time who are not connected to each other. In any way, shape or form that coincidentally experienced a problem with their payroll. How about this, though, I want to hear if you guys are experiencing outages with your internet?
Speaker 1: Is that going on?
Speaker 2: You know, it happened a few times on the overnight, which I thought was strategic and might be a time when they do occasionally do maintenance, take it offline for a couple hours, etc.
Speaker 1: Etc.
Speaker 2: But it's getting weird out, folks. I'm really seeing coordination in a lot of ways. Hey, speaking of coordination and things that rhyme with it, how about the contest for the executive branch and the nation.
Speaker 1: The heart of the nation, the soul of it all?
Speaker 2: And Trump in a garbage truck this week with his logo on the side of not kidding a garbage truck?
Speaker 1: Was that this week or last? You know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm getting all mixed up here between Internet outages and the weirdness of it all.
Speaker 1: Why did he do that?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because Biden said something about Trump's supporters being garbage. What is he even talking about, by the way, and why is anybody even bothering to pay attention? Really, don't you just kind of I don't know, quietly dismiss Grandpa after a while when he's gone over to the other side of reality.
Speaker 1: Isn't that usually what happens?
Speaker 2: I mean, just wait for him to make his way out of the house and to the home.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Maybe it's just me.
Speaker 2: And isn't it strange that the campaign commercials are getting weirder, rhetoric getting harsher, rallies are happening, and oh, by the way, it should all be over this coming Tuesday, but I doubt it will be. Everybody seems to agree with one thing, even though we're going to finish up with this selection on Tuesday night sometime probably early in the morning, and they're already telling us exactly what percentage of results can be reported by what time of day, so that people can get this straight and realize that even though the TV tells you something, projects the winners and all of that doesn't mean they have all the data, access to the votes, or any idea what's going on. With the exception of a very small fraction, they take samples of the voters and figure out how they voted. Speaking of samples, B Pete might want to talk to us, and I'm going to talk to be pete even if you guys don't call in about samples and hey, what's going on with this polling data which has it set at neck and neck Kamala and the fever dream of those that believe God has sent us the orange savior that versus that Trump versus the communist, which kind of sounds like Kamala communist, you know, almost works. But also blame her for Joe Biden. She let it happen, she was there, she could have spoke up, and she agrees with him anyway, I wouldn't change a thing that Joe Biden did.
Speaker 1: Well, that's stupid.
Speaker 2: And oh, by the way, the campaign commercial that's out there that basically says Kamala wants to give people who are incarcerated sex change operations? Indeed, that's out there. It's a real thing. Who's crazier? Who's worse for the nation? Which is the lesser of two evils?
Speaker 1: Are you staying tuned? Do you care?
Speaker 2: Or are you exhausted? You want to talk about something else. You want to tell me what happened the last time you bought a jar of peanut butter and it sucked? You want to tell me about the shrink flation when you tried to buy devil Dogs. The lines are open three one nine, five two seven five zero one six. That's the number to call. Three one nine, five two seven five zero one six. And oh, by the way, you could message me on Skype. I'll try to join you in. And I have a co host and hopefully he's gonna help me through this week a lot, because what was it last week? We had rotating coos. I had to squeeze four people into that slot for either a few minutes or a half hour at a time. We had let's see, let's think about this regular Joe Captain trips Jimmy James. And then at the tail end of the show, B Pete rejoined us co hosts across the board last time. But this time I got the man who's been doing this with me for a few years, and I want to check in with him right now.
Speaker 1: How you doing, Bpete? What's on your mind this week?
Speaker 2: And I don't know, I probably didn't do the headlines justice at all, but I tried.
Speaker 1: What's on your mind? What do you think we should be talking about? How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing good? It seems like we're getting another blast of summer here. We've had these unusually film temperatures for this time of year. But it's been very, very enjoyable and other than battling the flu here for about four days five days, but.
Speaker 4: It's been pretty good.
Speaker 3: But the headlines and i'll tell you what, they're all over the place. Oh, I'm just scanning one site right now. Just look at it. Headlines and what's going on wrong. Really kind of amazing how chaotic things have gotten here in the past same year, all over the place.
Speaker 4: But you know, the big thing here is the election.
Speaker 3: They're running stories where first of the week, Commona started pulling their ad money out of this state the minute that this state was called in favor of one person outside of the margin of error, they pulled ads. They pulled a lot of their money out. But you've got dnc AD money that's coming in and helping to fill some of the gaps because it's still NonStop political ads day and night. But I did see something on Sunday that really really surprised him. Was a Sunday No, it was Tuesday, battling the flu. I was up with a fever and it was three o'clock in the morning, and I turned on CBS and I saw an ad dealing with abortion, which was very graphic, and I didn't see the beginning of the ad. When I cut on the TV, the ad had just started and they've got text running and a voiceover and picked of aborted fetuses in this, and I'm thinking, what the hell? So I hit the channel identifier and it showed I was on the seat of my local CBS station. And at the very end of the ad comes a disclaimer on the screen that says, CBS is required to show this advertisement because of law such and such, such and such on political advertising. We do not agree with this. And apparently I didn't know it until I saw the ad again, like three o'clock in the morning. Every round, you're going to see the same commercial for probably two hours. They put a disclaimer before the ad saying that they're forced to put this on because it's political speech.
Speaker 2: And now see I I saw that ad, and I didn't catch one at the end because I wasn't watching CB. It was CBS that said at the end, also, is that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: This yeah, CBS station. But I looked for it online. I did a search on I thought I can't believe this, So I immediately want to get my computer on. I go and search ABC was running it. They put the same disclaimer up before and after the ad.
Speaker 1: Uh, well, I don't know where it is.
Speaker 3: It's amazing, it's you know, when have you ever seen a TV station since the rules changed on Equal Access?
Speaker 4: I've never seen those TV.
Speaker 3: Station put up a disclaimer before political ad before. Well, I guess it was because of the images that were being shown and wanted to disassociate themselves from it. But I have to admit the guy I forget even who the character was that ranted.
Speaker 4: It's the.
Speaker 3: I'll have to look at up. Let me find the guy's name. Is one of the smaller parties.
Speaker 1: Well, you go ahead and look that up.
Speaker 2: But I gotta tell you it's some pack that's out there pushing the Hey, you don't want abortion.
Speaker 1: To come back basically, you know, and you want it.
Speaker 2: To be as restrictive as it is wherever you are, and it should go away because and then they show to horrible images which reminds me of the picket signs that people used to go out with, you know, with the giant pictures of like mangled fetuses that they would have outside of the clinics. It's that kind of thing. Now, where I saw it, there was no post ad disclaimer where I saw it, But everywhere consistently, I'm told, and it said to me on.
Speaker 1: Some article I read about it, that everywhere.
Speaker 2: There is a disclaimer that runs before the ad, and the reason why is supposedly because the images are horrific. They don't want to restrict it because then they're being told they're restricting, you know, free speech on somebody's.
Speaker 1: Behalf or whatever. But I was struck by the.
Speaker 2: Same part of the disclaimer that sounded to me like we have to run this because it's a political ad, and I that to myself, Well, the fairness doctrine has been gone since what the nineteen seventies, right, I think.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, yeah, like I think though, but that was part of the deal when they got rid of it. It required let's say I'm a local station, I've got thirty minutes I got to fill on a Saturday afternoon before the Big Gate, Okay. Or let's say I'm a local affiliate and I'm not carrying the local NFL game on Sunday because they didn't sell out, So the blackout is in effect for the local viewing area, and I got to fill it. Well, today's standard is the newest vacuum that's come out, or the newest gadget that's come out, or flex seal has a new product, So you get a thirty minute infomercial. That was the big filler at one time. Well a lot of times back then, you would have local stations prit on political people doing an interview, so the other party, by law, had to be given that same amount of time. And you started seeing those programs go away because station's decided they wanted to pick sides, but they couldn't legally when it came to something like that. So when it went to court and they did away with it, one of the things that remained was these broadcast stations cannot turned down the political advertising. They have to accept it, and that's why you see so much of it. Well, here's they got to take the ads and if the ad buyer buys every consecutive commercial slot for the next three hours, you're going to see their commercials for the next three hours.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 3: This guy I found it here, Randall Terry with the Constitution Party. He's been a long time anti abortion guy. So you know, he's tried to put some of these ads out before. I don't think he had the money to produce them like we see to.
Speaker 4: Day, but it it startled me when I saw it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought, you know, I'm not I'm almost seventy years old. I've not seen anything like this on TV and I've seen a lot of crap. No, you really stood me back to think that we've gotten to that point that you have to show it at three o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, but.
Speaker 2: It's not just at three o'clock in the morning, and that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Well, no, it's not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that kind was shown during Jimmy Kim Alive on.
Speaker 1: ABC right now.
Speaker 2: That kind of thing only used to be able to make it through on broadcast TV on guess where, PBS right where they could show you stuff that was a bit more gruesome, et cetera, blah blah blah because it was educational. Even when I was a little kid, I remember that open heart surgeries were literally shown on PBS, right Like, that was the first place I ever saw a guy's heart beating because he had an open chest during surgery.
Speaker 3: And I remember this, it's back that was back when was it baky? Was it the guy that did the surgery or he was the patient or something? I remember seeing those episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't remember all that.
Speaker 2: I think it was an episode of Nova where I first saw that, right, like Nova would show a documentary and you know you've seen the JFK Nova thing from.
Speaker 1: Eighty eight and all that.
Speaker 2: Here, let me get a little bit of actual history, because I was wrong to say that the fairness doctrine went away in the seventies. I was incorrect, So I'd like to correct it. And for this my source is the Encyclopedia Britannica. Okay, fairness doctrine in the US all Right Communications Policy nineteen forty nine, it was instituted, and it was removed finally in nineteen eighty seven BPTE. Okay, So yeah, and it's there's a whole thing on it in the Reagan Library too. But let's look at the Encyclopedia Britannica to define it and see what happened afterwards, because apparently they talk about provisions, you know, during and after anyway. Communications Commission the FCC required licensed radio and television broadcasters to present fair and balanced coverage of controversial issues of interest to their communities, including by granting equal airtime to opposing candidates for public office. Now, let me pause there and tell you that this came up when I had John Barbera on the show many times, right, Why because he noted that if he had the Republican candidate on for governor in California when he was broadcasting in California, he would also have to have anybody else on to talk who made it onto the ballot. And indeed, in those days, that included if there was a guy from the Nazi Party who gathered enough signatures, he had to allow a Nazi to come on his show and give their viewpoints. Here, you know, with the National Socialist Party, this is what I'd like to implement as governor of California.
Speaker 1: He would have to allow that by law. Indeed, you know, that was part of what it is.
Speaker 2: Garrison won his arguments for when they gave him equal time over a controversial issue of public interest, and they allowed him to respond to NBC's White Paper show, right, and they gave him so you know all about that, Okay. The origins of the Fairness doctric lay in the Radio Act of nineteen twenty seven, which limited radio broadcasting the license broadcasters but mandated that the licenses serve the public interest. The Federal Communications Act of nineteen thirty four supplanted the Radio Act and created the FCC, the chief regulatory body covering the US airwaves, with a mission to quote encouraged the larger and more effective use of in the public interest end quote. In nineteen forty nine, the Commission promulgated a report in the Matter of Editorializing by Broadcast Licenses that interpreted the public interest provisions of the Radio Act and the Communications Act as a mandate to promote a basic standard of fairness. That's in quotes, a basic standard of fairness end quote. In broadcasting licensees had the duty to devote airtime to fair and balanced coverage of controversial issues that were of interest to their home communities. Individuals who were the subject of editorials or who perceived themselves to be the subject of unfair tax in news programming were to be granted an opportunity to reply. See that's the part that applied to Garrison. Also, candidates for public office were entitled to equal airtime. In nineteen fifty nine, a portion of the of Fairness Doctrine became US law when Congress amended the Communications Act with the doctrine's mandate of equal airtime for office seekers. The revised law recognized, see there was another there was a law created. The revised law recognized some exceptions to the equal airtime mandate, but held that such exceptions did not annul licenses licensees excuse me, obligation to provide equal airtime and balanced coverage of quote conflicting views on issues of public interest. Now I'm pausing from this Encyclopedia Britannica thing here to tell you this. It was also interesting to me that for many years, and for most of our lives, honestly, you know, from this nineteen eighty seven ending of the fairness Doctrine, there's still this requirement to serve the public interest, right which broadcast radio stations and TV stations used to devote some amount of airtime to these really ridiculous kind of like you know, five people want to see it. You know, TV shows that would discuss say, local issues or things that were of direct interest to the broadcast area. And you would see these things like Sunday Morning before they started running the church shows. Stuff like that or you'd see them late at night right before you know they went to the flag and played the national anthem and went off air TV stations they would play a program where people would discuss stuff where they did allow these other people on the air. They allowed opposing viewpoints to show up when hardly anyone was watching. But technically speaking, you could say they devoted part of their airtime to important issues of public interest. Now that occurred, plus another thing happened. Public service announcements became sort of mandatory. You'll note that almost any licensed broadcaster always has some sort of nonprofit or you know, just a charity kind of stuff that they broadcast. You know, things that it's like, hey, look we raise money for kids, like that cars for cash stuff where they had the kids singing. It's one of the most awful, you know, recognized jingles out there. You've heard that one, right, b Pete Wood seven seven cars for kids. Okay, Well, those things end up being mandated to some degree where even if you have you know, a multi billion dollar you know, you got a huge price tag for your advertising time. You know, maybe you get you know, one hundred thousand dollars for every thirty seconds you're broadcast on your on your TV station, you still would have to give it to them for a low ball, next to nothing price. So there are offers out there where you can pick up, you know, bundles of these and get paid a very small token amount of money and you end up playing five or six of these commercials they give you and you have to do that. Now, that's something else you're doing in the general public interest.
Speaker 3: And that was that was something I was familiar with when I was in when I was had a college radio program. The fact that we had to run so many PSAs an hour and then of a class time yep in broadcasting was you know, commercial creation. So we had five or six different areas and one of the ones that I special specialized in was PSAs and it was basically going out there, write in the streat, find in the background of music, find a voice, actors, sit down, produce the PSA and then we would play our own PSAs over the year, right so they we would get legitimate organization is to say, hey, as part of our project, we created this, do you want us to play this and insert your local chapter.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 4: Contact.
Speaker 2: Now let's let's give her for instance here right, just to get people familiar. Indeed, I'm guessing because I know I was familiar with this. I saw it done. You know, drunk driving was a huge issue in the nineteen nineties. It was one of the big PSA issues. There were hundreds of different public service announcements out there, right, so you had, you know, and also anti drug commercials, so you know, the whole this is your brain, this is your brain on drugs. That was one of the things that was offered to people as a PSA.
Speaker 1: Also, we're going.
Speaker 2: To tell you this horrible story about this little girl who's on a bicycle and then a drunk driver mangled her and she had to live for twelve more hours with her head sept you know, severed. Whatever they tell you, a horrible story, don't drink and drive brought to you by and then it would be you know, also in favor of others against drum driving, that would be one of the organizations you would contact, even if you created the commercial, but rest assured if you go.
Speaker 3: I think that was more to be honest, based on what I'm seeing now, I almost think that when they came up with that PSA rule, it was to allow a government, the government a foot in the door if they look at COVID in these things that were being run about getting instill.
Speaker 4: You see them.
Speaker 3: I see them every morning before I go to work. Get your COVID shot. You can get your COVID shot and your flu shot at the same time. And they're backed by government health organization. Yeah, but that's it's seat belt laws. You know, when the seatbelt law came into effect, we saw a lot of that. You know, this is the image of the test, the crash test dummies flying around on the inside of the car. This is why we have seat belts. Blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that was a government's way of making sure they had a wedge they could shove into any license broadcaster that they could put their message out there and call it a public service announcement. Well.
Speaker 2: See, now some of these things are backed by government organizations, right, brought to you by the National Safety Council or whatever. And some of those things are, but others of them are nonprofit five oh one C three right uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like I'll give you an example.
Speaker 3: We had to save the Lighthouse Foundation when they were trying to get the money up to move the Hatteras Lighthouse because the sea was encroaching on it. And that was a huge project to jack this sucker up and move it inland. It took them forever, but they did it. But when they were trying to raise money, I sat down and thought, okay, North Carolina Hatters Lighthouse.
Speaker 4: That's one of our big tourist icons.
Speaker 3: You see the marketing for the Hatters Lighthouse, you know that's North Carolina Outer Banks. So James Taylor is from North Carolina. He had a song called Whitehouse. I sat down, put down the narration, used the song in the background, explained what was trying to.
Speaker 4: You know, this thing's been around since such and such.
Speaker 3: The funds are needed to be able to protect it from the sea which is encroaching.
Speaker 4: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Put it together, set a message to the Lighthouse Foundation and they said, yeah, run it.
Speaker 4: We ran that thing for a year.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: What's funny about that is today, if you attempted to use it, you would have to have his publisher's permission and all that kind of stuff to utilize his song as part of your campaign, et cetera, et cetera. You could probably get in trouble, and it would also get kicked right the hell off of YouTube.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: All of that, But that's interesting, but it's not the whole story, and it doesn't quite address what we've been through here with this abortion ad just yet. Right, let's go back to the fairness doctrine and what happened and what ends up happening when it's removed.
Speaker 1: Let's say.
Speaker 2: The fairness doctrine was never without its opponents, however, many of whom perceived the equal airtime requirement as an infringement of the right to freedom of speech enshrined in the First Amendment to the Constitution. In nineteen sixty nine, the doctrines survived the challenge in the Supreme Court case Red Lion Broadcasting Company versus Federal Communication Commission, in which the Court found that the FCC had acted within its jurisdiction in ruling that a Pennsylvania radio station had violated the fairness doctrine by denying response time to a writer who had been characterized in a broadcast as a communist sympathizer.
Speaker 1: In nineteen eighty.
Speaker 2: Five, however, the FCC decided that the doctrine had a chilling effect upon freedom of speech. At about that time, representatives of cable and satellite television networks challenged the applicability of the doctrine to their industries. In nineteen eighty seven, the FCC repealed the Fairness Doctrine, but maintained both the editorial and personal attack provisions, which remained in effect until two thousand. In addition, until they were finally repealed by the Commission in twenty eleven, more than eighty media rules maintained language that implemented the doctrine. Okay, so it continued for a while, you see what I mean. And they continued parts of it for a while. And now there are other provisions in the FCC that are not this big blanket that the fairness Doctrine was. But it still exists, right and still allows that if you have something that's applicable because it's part of the current election, it's part of things which are there for public interest to people in the broadcast area that you are meant to be serving. So you're still serving a broadcast area, You're still serving a particular audience that's supposed to have the most access to your broadcast, and because you're utilizing the airwaves which allegedly belong to the people and are therefore regulated by our government. Right, you're supposed to be serving those that you're using their airwaves in their community, Okay, And therefore, if something can be seen as serving them by informing them about an election, about a local issue, et cetera, et cetera, you're kind of in a stuck place where it's necessary to have it out there. And I don't know what they do about how much they get paid. You know, they can't force you to run, say the fetus ad during the super Bowl necessarily, but they can force you to run it at some point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, prices are set on political A friend of mine worked at a station. He said, yeah, he says, we have set rates for political ads. It's the same rate for either side. That's what we charge. The problem is when the bookers, you know, get the call from a camp, from either a campaign or a political pack. Yeah, we got one hundred thousand dollars we're gonna throw at you, all right, that gives us how many spots here's where we want them aired. Blah blah blah blah blah. Go back to your fairness. Doctor. In a side note, Another thing that was that was working on this and forcing the change too, was the rise of cable because they were not regulated. So that's where local access channels and that popped up and allowed basically specialized programming on that channel and they didn't have to provide equal time to anybody, and it was really hurting some of the broadcast competitors when it came to add money because of programming. The broadcast stations, well, the broadcast stations were under this premise, we have to come up with programming that we know is going to draw audience. We want to draw the biggest audience, and therefore, based on the audience that we have, this is what we want to charge for rates. And we're being constricted now because of this fairness doctrine where our biggest competition, cable TV, is not regulated by that. So you guys got to give us a break. And that was the force for a long time. It was all money. It all came down to revenue, and the broadcast stations felt like they were losing the opportunity to make revenue because of this equal this even Stephen, if I give this guy airtime, I got to give that guy airtime, and it didn't matter how the airtime was given. It could be mentioned in programming, it could be in advertising. They were getting it, you know, they were under the fair this doctrine not only in their advertising, but in their actual program programming. That's the sad thing about it. That's why Garrison was granted a response to an NBC program, not an ad, but an actual program that they put out.
Speaker 1: There, right, And that's really hurting, you know.
Speaker 3: It was. It was a big kinke in the networks being able to provide program that people wanted to watch.
Speaker 2: Right now, with the court case with the cable company which came in nineteen eighty five, right, the cable company said, hey, this is not fair to us because we don't just serve a broadcast area. So and they were, you know, CLAIMINGBC that, yeah, but.
Speaker 3: Not only that, it wasn't a public airwave, it was not a frequency.
Speaker 2: Well that's what I'm saying. We're not using the public airwaves. We're using a cable that we provide to somebody who pays us.
Speaker 3: Therefore, right, that was and that was their biggest I think the biggest winning argument was we are not a public entity. We don't belong to the public world, private corporation.
Speaker 1: Right, and the same thing with the Satellite US with these rules. Yeah, and the same thing with satellite at the time.
Speaker 2: That's my point about nineteen, but that came about in eighty five where they challenged it because the FCC just simply said, well, look, you know, we gotta run this across you guys too, because you're broadcasters. And they're like, no, we're not broadcasters. We're a different kind of delivery system, so we're not governed by this. But anyway, the thing about it is, and it gets a little confusing because in some cases cable was carrying publicly broadcast stuff, but that meant that that's a different transmission, so during that transmission, you know, and that's how they were able to come up with this whole you know how Like you see sometimes you're watching a baseball game and it's on TBS, which was a local thing, right, and they cut to a commercial and it starts for like two seconds and then goes away. It's because somebody missed their cue to overrun the commercial being broadcast, you know what I'm saying, Like they're going to tell you about the local party that's going to go on in Atlanta and you're sitting there watching it in Minnesota. You don't care about that. You're not going to be able to go down to Chile's bar or whatever and.
Speaker 1: Go see this.
Speaker 2: So they stick in a national ad there because they have control over the signal, and they turn around and stick in McDonald's or whatever they want. Well, also, you don't care about the congress person running in Georgia, right, So why do you need to hear about that. You don't give a crap. Again, you're in Minnesota, you're in Arkansas, doesn't matter to you.
Speaker 3: That's what surprised me. That's what surprised me about seeing that abortion ad here is because we don't have anything, any kind of referendum or anything on the ballot here in North Carolina this year, and I thought, whoa they are? They're going for the national hit here. Really surprised well, and they's when I looked up and saw who was behind the ad. I thought, well, okay, he's Constitution Party. He is on the ballot, that's why it was run here.
Speaker 2: Well, he's on the ballot number one, number two. They can approach and say, I want to be on your national feed, and I don't think anybody's going to stop him from buying a spot on the national feed in cases especially where maybe there isn't a lot of you know, revenue, Like you probably didn't see it during the prime time biggest shows, biggest ratings grab that you know CBS has. It probably wasn't during their best TV show, right, It was probably during something that doesn't have the highest of ratings, where the ad the ad cost is lower. Would you say that is true? What what TV show was going on when you caught these?
Speaker 3: Usually it was it was with CBS Overnight News. I think it was comes on at three o'clock.
Speaker 1: Well, see there you go three am. Yeah, okay, so at three am.
Speaker 2: The ratings are not that high for live broadcasts, right.
Speaker 3: No, but on well, and it's not really all it's not really a live broadcast. What they do is whenever they do their overnight news, I think it starts at midnight, they'll do a one hour session and then it gets played around these different markets at different times.
Speaker 2: So it's a rerun of a news program that already happened again it's probably before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then they switch to another program it's CBS Overnight News, and then it's CBS some other news that comes on at four right before our local stuff starts broadcasting at four point thirty. Okay, so that's where you see these ads that you know, they want to bury or they want to get it aired, but they don't want to pay top dollar for primetime, right.
Speaker 4: And it's also you know, constantly in the morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like on CNN, right they run Anderson Cooper's show, and Jake Tapper has one and you know whatever.
Speaker 3: But ABC ap barely. ABC ran this ad during Jimmy Kimmel Live and during the View, which is a big show for ABC.
Speaker 2: Now those are good morning, Yeah, those are larger audiences, but when you're running it at that three am time slot, that's the same. Like I said, CNN does this too, Like they have Anderson Cooper and Jake Tapper in their primetime slots, right then they rerun them. Okay, so you're watching the rerun of the show all the way up till like around that three AM slot. Then there's this English lady that comes on and starts giving you the latest headlines at you know, four in the morning or whatever, and it's sort of like now it's you know, not CNN whatever their show is. They call it in the morning, like you know, CNN at dawn or whatever. No, it's not that now, it's pre morning CNN, right, and they'll go to a live thing that hardly anybody's watching now.
Speaker 1: During that time, you.
Speaker 2: Get a lot of these PSAs and things, right, Uh, National Suicide Hotline, Uh, you know, Wounded Warriors and uh and and Wounded Veterans of America and uh, the stuff like they used to have the Unity ones, you know, don't hold people's religions against them ads right. Uh, even the uh, the stuff that's run by the Mormons, brought to you by the you know, the Church of h whatever in Latter day Saints. Uh. And it's you know, some sort of like be a good person, don't hold other people's you know, beliefs against them. Uh, you know, blah blah blah whatever they run that stuff. Don't kill yourself.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, if you've got a drug problem, contact us the National Drug Prevention Hotline.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: National.
Speaker 2: You know you're you're feeling terrible, you you're contemplating ending your life, perhaps you should call the suicide Hotline. Those things, some of them government controlled and some of them controlled again by these nonprofit organizations, But a lot of that you'll see run during pretty much dead programs where the ratings are low. You know, it's not like nobody's watching, but it's a very small number. Now I'm kind of surprised you're telling me that they ran these during the view and also during what was the other one you mentioned, Jimmy Kimmel, now, the late night. Everybody's a little confused about this late night. These guys in their live broadcasts usually did not have the highest ratings. They talk about them and they say, oh, you know, two million people are watching them or whatever, But realistically, nowadays, for live broadcast, two million is not that big, okay at all.
Speaker 1: One. Two.
Speaker 2: A lot of people catch these things, guess what, in podcast form. Afterwards, they watch the clips on YouTube or on the website or whatever afterwards, and they don't even necessarily watch the whole shows. Some turn around and just go, I want to see his monologue tonight, or I want to see they said he did a funny bit. They just go and search for the funny bit. It's like Saturday Night Live. Hardly anybody knows when it's live. Number one, because it isn't live that often. But number two, a lot of people just catch it the next day or whatever, and they only watched the cold open, or they only watched the bit that made the rounds in the news, that got people talking, right, And they watch these things in part, not even the whole broadcast.
Speaker 1: Okay, and late Night, the.
Speaker 3: Late night programs like that, you know, have all been di looted because you know, at one time you had Carson and he was the king, right, you know, Jack Parr had his show, then Carson came along Tonight's show, you know, he left, you had Jay Leno and that whole thing.
Speaker 4: But the other stations came up with competition.
Speaker 3: So now you've got Seth Rogan, you've got Jimmy Kimmel, you've got.
Speaker 2: Way back when Colbert Listen, way back when though they had David Letterman and they had Tom Snyder and remember the Tomorrow Show, right, uh.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Snider, Yeah he didn't. He drew a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Of course, nobody could compete with Johnny Carson.
Speaker 1: He was the king.
Speaker 3: I mean, he nailed Late Night, sure, And when you had all of these other stations come up with their own version to compete, then you had people like and like here lately, Bret Guttfeld on Fox had a show called red Eye that I mean, and it was two o'clock in the morning. It was red Eye, right. If you were up that late, you were a dedicated fan that eventually got morphed into where if they started moving him lower and lower in the time slots, he's now at ten am or ten pm.
Speaker 4: He kills His draw is more than all of the other late night hosts put together.
Speaker 1: I believe it.
Speaker 3: That's how big come in the past couple of years, you know. And it's an entertaining show. I've got to give him that. But when you started, like during COVID when Colbert on his show had the dancing hypodermic needles, I knew right then and there late night was dead. It's over with. They might as well go ahead and write out the certificate, pull the sheet over it and get rid of it. It's it's so bad, it's really it. Late night TV is nothing like it was back when you had people like Carson doing it.
Speaker 4: I'm going to really put some effort in it.
Speaker 2: Initially, Yeah, and Carson was followed by Letterman for a long time on NBC until his contract came due, and then he thought he was going to replace Carson, and they hauled Jay Leno in that slot. Then Letterman left and became competition. He went to CBS, and there was there was others too that that tried to hold the late night slot or tried to hold a night a night slot. Howard Stern did a TV show once a week at one point, right, it worked out for a little while and then it tanked. Rush Limbaugh had an overnight you know, a late night show that was distributed, you know, and actually played by affiliates at all different times.
Speaker 1: You never knew what time Rush Limbaugh was going to be on.
Speaker 2: And in fact, in New York, I could watch it on Channel nine at one time and then wait a little while, like three in the morning, and I could watch it on Channel five.
Speaker 1: Which you know, again both broadcast entities.
Speaker 2: But no late night has become really weird, I mean, and Colbert, the fact that he's still around is what's amazing to me, because this guy started out as like a bit on somebody else's show. He wasn't even like you know, first of all, he was an act, right it is you know this and that I'm Colbert blah blah blah, you know, and he would come on and do this like parody of a conservative, and then that became its own TV show on like I think Comedy Central carried it, and it was the Colbert rapport, right, And the Colbert rapport was, you know, him making fun of how you know, you don't say Colbert, you say you know in the Colbert Report, Colbert Rapport, and he still was doing this parody of a conservative and he would bring people on and ask obnoxious questions you know that echoed conservative sentiment, but they were super obnoxious. You know, like if he had gotten Kamala on back then he might have said, so, when is it that you sold your soul to the devil? You know, because we need to know when did you go to the crossroads? I mean he would have said stuff like that to her as he got her as an interview subject, right, And that was that. But then at some point they went and hired him for Late Night I think when Jay Leno was sort of retired, right, like Leno had kind of finished his run.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he went to Late Night, and uh, you know it came.
Speaker 3: Out as himself acting as himself, right, and it was you know a lot of people at first thought, well, wait a minute, I thought this guy was conservative, and it's like, no, no, no, no, no no. That was a party was playing on a show on Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Right, and it was a parody at that, you know, so you weren't getting serious conservative views.
Speaker 1: It was a joke. It was meant to be.
Speaker 3: And you think about it. You look at the people that had been involved in Late Night and you know, look at the talent. It's I mean, Arsenio Hall had a show for a while and he had that's where Bill Clinton got famous, playing the sacks. I knows, I know it's Arsenio Hall.
Speaker 2: I mentioned it many times on this show that that's what impressed me actually is him coming out playing the sacks with you know, Ray bans On, No kidding, And he was on the Arsenio Hall Show, which at the time was the cutting edge of late night.
Speaker 1: Right. He was competing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll have to do a takedown one night. Well, I have to get a list of all the shows and what we remember and what we did, because like Colin O'Brien.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so.
Speaker 3: For a long time, I have never heard him say anything that was funny ever, And I don't understand how he's this great comedian, and I'm thinking he's never made me laugh, he said.
Speaker 2: You and I absolutely agree on that. I have no idea why Conan O'Brien has a job.
Speaker 1: Seriously, I mean no concept.
Speaker 2: Like I understand why he had a job as a writer on the Simpsons, but as a performer as a comedian, I don't get it.
Speaker 1: He just he's no good. I mean, he's not funny. So I agree with you there.
Speaker 2: It's weird that he has a job all this time, because they usually get rid of these these hosts of talk shows real fast when they realize, you know, the audience isn't that big. But his audience rises falls doesn't matter. It's like he must have the pictures of the guy who owns the network with a donkey, because I don't understand how he keeps that job.
Speaker 3: But no, he could go even further out of it is just the cult of personality put himself out there.
Speaker 2: He had a lot of fans like, let's go into some super little Yeah, let's go into some super nostalgia for a minute. Thoughll be, Pete, I got questions for you because there was a time when Howard Stern was running his E Network show, right, which was just on the Entertainment Channel, and it was nothing but a television version of his radio show, right, And that was his attempt to kind of compete on the late night But during that time, I mean, we saw a lot of things rise and fall. Matter of fact, here's one from the late eighties.
Speaker 1: A lot of people won't.
Speaker 2: Remember if you weren't in the New York area, but did go national for a minute outside of the time that Rush Limbaugh was running around getting a TV show started that did fail. Actually, eventually the ratings were very bad on the Rush Limbaugh Show. After the initial launch. He claimed that he was being removed because he was conservative. But the truth is that you know, they did equal ratings if they put on, you know, deal a meal in commercials at the time, right, Richard Simmons reference there.
Speaker 3: Part of the deal with Limbaugh I was he said he never really enjoyed doing it. He he enjoyed radio, right. He you know, he came out later with his cam that if you paid the high dollars to his website you could get access to that during his broadcast and all. Yeah, yeah, he did admit a couple of interviews that I heard of him that he never really enjoyed doing that show. From start. They tried it, it was okay, but he thought, I'm a radio guy and I need to stick to what I know. And so when it ended, I think part of it was he kind of went to him and said, look, guys, this isn't working and I don't want any more to do with it.
Speaker 2: Well, I think his enthusiasm wasn't that high, you know, because it wasn't as good as him working off of the audience, which he was good at doing. You know, whether they were calling up to say, you know, uh, Megadido's rush, I agree with everything you say, or you know, they were calling up to give him crap. He did well with the callers. So you know, how do you do that on a TV show. It's very hard. You can, but it never garners real ratings. It doesn't translate.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: That kind of thing works on radio, not on TV, you know, because if it did, then that Washington Journal show would be number one across the world that runs on c SPAN, Because I mean, people get on there and say some pretty interesting things, some very intelligent, some very stupid, and you get a sample of all over the place when it comes to political views and ideologies on that C SPAN show that occurs that you know, but they put it on it like seven in the morning, right on weekdays.
Speaker 1: I think it runs. But but look remember Morton Downey Junior though you remember that guy.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's local Access gave him his break man.
Speaker 3: He was he was the dude.
Speaker 2: Well see he wasn't local Access. He was on Channel nine in New York WRTV, right.
Speaker 3: And I thought he started on local Access and made the switch.
Speaker 1: Nope, No, he was on WRTV.
Speaker 2: Okay, And there was a Channel nine in New York, which technically is in seacaucas New Jersey.
Speaker 1: The broadcaster is in New Jersey, and so was their headquarters. But it's in New York.
Speaker 2: It's generally seen as a New York station, Channel nine right now. Later on it got purchased by Universal Broadcasting. It became a upn thing. Uh, it became something else. H during the time when they were trying to create yet another network.
Speaker 1: When they created.
Speaker 2: WB after Fox had its success as a network, right which was a fabricated network from a bunch of independence stations across the country, they took Channel five in New York and Channel five was an independence station up till then. Anyway, Channel nine is where he broadcast from the WR studios in Seacaucus, New Jersey.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And he was popular here, you know, not here, he was popular in the area I lived in. Then.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is like in mid to eight and then it expanded. They took it and they syndicated that show, and that went on briefly. Now everything went crazy for a little bit. He was successful, but as soon as his popularity started to dive, and tabloid stories came out about him being a scumbag and you know, urinating inside of limos and all kinds of wild stuff he was doing. You know, they kind of smeared him and made him sound like this out of control lunatic who was like, you know, an egomaniac and abusing his staff and abusing people that came on the.
Speaker 1: Show and weird stuff. Right.
Speaker 2: He then staged an attack as if he was attacked by Nazis. If people don't remember this, he ended up saying that he was, Yeah, he was attacked by Nazis in an airport and they literally spray painted a swastik on his forehead. Remember that, And so so he went out and tried to pull this as a pr and I don't know if he ever ever admitted it publicly that he had staged it or done it to himself. But the story was, you know, he got attacked and beat up by Nazis who spray painted stuff on him and humiliated him and you know, all this crap. But Morton fell apart, uh, and you know, was not successful. After a very short run of success in the syndicated TV market collapsed, So that was the end of him. There were other attempts to make other people into syndicated TV hosts that were successful. Joan Rivers had a show, remember Jones show. She had a nationally syndicated show with Fox Broadcasting and they rather suddenly and unceremoniously fired her.
Speaker 1: You remember that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was, she was. She was caught up in the Johnny Carson bit too to succeed him and uh. In fact, she fell out when she wasn't chosen to take over.
Speaker 2: His show and it went to Yep, she got really angry and Johnny ye had well, she thought that she would be the logical replacement for Johnny Carson when he retired. See that's Letterman and her both thought I have a job here because Johnny's gonna leave, And Letterman's like, look, I've sat in this you know slot that has worse ratings because people shut their TVs off a lot after Carson. But I've got a solid following. I've proven i can do late night TV. Blah blah blah. I got a band and everything. I can just take it and bring it to Johnny slot boom. The Tonight Show now stars David Letterman, and they made promises to him like they were going to do that. Uh, they didn't put it in writing. But anyway, when Johnny retired, he figured, I'm stepping in. Joan Rivers likewise figured that since she had been a substitute many many times substitute hosts, she hosted The Tonight Show as a you know, when Johnny.
Speaker 3: Would be in vacation, he had been on the show.
Speaker 4: She was the one person that held the record for the most is on Carson Show.
Speaker 2: Right, So she figured quite logically that she could be since the you know, there was always a positive response to her ratings didn't fall when she you know, guest hosted, et cetera, et cetera. She figured she had the gig, and there was a couple other people that thought they might have a good shot at the gig. Leno was a bit of a surprise to a lot of people, even the industry, who said, you know, Leno is a little too like pedestrian and you know, sort of bland as a comedian and this and that. Right, his stand up routine not very strong. But you know, Johnny Carson wasn't a great stand up either. He did a very specific job as a stand up comedian. Johnny was not that great. You know, with ten people writing his monologue jokes and talking about the news, he could sort of make things run. But if you just gave him a microphone it chuckles one night, he was not going to do well. It's like Howard Stern, who was great on the radio, but when he tried to do a TV show that wasn't just his radio show, he had a hard time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was That was one individual I could never get into. I never understood the popularity of his show and his radio show killed in that market. I mean, he's slayd. He was the person if you wanted your commercial it was going to cost you, yep. But if you wanted it out there you had the audience, and Stern certainly had it. I don't understand how it worked. I can't understand how he.
Speaker 4: Was that popular, but I mean, he was the man. He was the king of all media.
Speaker 3: One time.
Speaker 2: Well it was mass slating because look, he tried to go get syndicated radio right for his thing, and they told him, listen, it doesn't work for comedians on the radio.
Speaker 1: It can't be done.
Speaker 2: So what he did is he started getting radio station affiliates, one to two at a time and signing them up himself as like part of just it's not a network, it's just you're part of Howard Stern's broadcasting family, you know. And he was in New York and his first brand new affiliate was in Philadelphia. So the argument was, let's just cover the area and connect these two spots together. The next thing is he got like Washington, DC, and then he got Connecticut, and you know, sort of made his broadcast area expand by connecting these things together. And every time he went somewhere, whether it was there or Cleveland, Ohio, or California, it didn't matter where you syndicated him.
Speaker 1: He would go there and succeed and succeed and succeed, and.
Speaker 2: That's what made him the highest paid broadcaster.
Speaker 1: You know there was right and you know.
Speaker 3: He ended up with and he was he was competing with some heavy hitters too. I mean don Imus at that time was big on radio, you know, he was. He could he could name his price because he had control.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he beat the hell out of Imus in every market that they put him up against.
Speaker 3: That was the thing. If you if I was a host and I had to go up against Stern, I think I would have just thrown into talent said I'll wait, yeah, so something.
Speaker 1: Changes, put me on in a different time slot. I don't want to deal with this.
Speaker 2: And in fact, that's what started to happen, is that, you know, because remember there were all these morning.
Speaker 1: Zoos all over the country and stuff.
Speaker 2: He would go into a market where a morning zoo was dominating the place, you know, and you know a morning zoo requires you know, six seven, eight guys to run it, right, You got two guys running bits, You got like four guys on the microphone doing voices and playing sound effects and all these different things. You need ten guys. If you just hire Howard Stern, you wipe them out. They're no longer even you know, viable as somebody to pay at a local radio station. Okay, because Stern takes your ratings, I mean, and he really did. Every market he would go into, he'd march in, beat the crap out of whoever was there, de throne, you know, the number one rated whatever it was, in almost every single market.
Speaker 3: But he would go for major markets too, And that's why we didn't really get a lot of Howard Stern down here in North Carolina because one the markets weren't markets were okay, they weren't as big as he wanted, but people were just kind of put off by one, everything being about New York to his crudeness, I guess you could put it. Well, see, no, it just it didn't go big here.
Speaker 2: Well see, that's the weird thing is he did get some of the small markets to begin with, but just like with everything in broadcasting, if you're super successful now it costs more money. These radio stations had to pay him to bring it in.
Speaker 1: So you know, your little.
Speaker 2: Radio station and you know Tuscaloosa or whatever is now not able to afford Howard Stern, you see, So that's why he ended up more in the major markets. It wasn't because of the content. It was because of the price. You know, the argument being, look, maybe you got to pay us a huge amount of money to run the Stern Show, but you'll be able to charge x amount of dollars for your ad revenue.
Speaker 1: Well that's not true if you're.
Speaker 2: In not even a secondary market, you're not in one of the prime media markets. You're not in you know, the market that's attached to it. You're you know, you're you're two three steps down the ladder. You don't have the kind of money to pay sterarn See. And as he was, you know, really collecting, he had seemingly just about every major market in the country. He was dominating in broadcast radio right at that point he went to satellite radio, and everybody thought it was crazy, it was going to be a failure, et cetera, et cetera. And the fact is they're paying him over one hundred million dollars a year and they can afford it based on the fact that he's got so many people that subscribe to Cirrus Cyrus at first now Cerrus XM, because at first they were two separate companies, right, you know, and and the thing is there, he's got enough subscribers that go to that radio uh you know service just because of how snern. Then he's worth that hundred million dollars VPTE. You know, he makes enough in revenue right there. Plus they run commercials on a show by the way, you know it's not commercial free, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I've never been a big fan of satellite radio, and I guess it's because on a lot of the stations, especially for news. I mean, talk is one thing, but if you want strictly news, and I'm a news junkie, yeah, you know, I'll take it basically any form it comes. But the problem is you're getting the feed like Fox. You're getting the feed of Fox and Friends in the morning, and when the ad time comes up, it goes blank for two minutes and then kicks back in. It's it's almost like I can watch this on TV. It's just I'm stuck in my car, right, So, yeah, I would. I never could get into I didn't think it was worth the money for dedicated satellite radio because I got Bluetooth.
Speaker 4: I can't stream anything on my phone while I'm dry and listen to it.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, it was doing that yeah.
Speaker 3: Even though it was free for three months when I bought the car, I never renewed it. Now holiday time they come up with a free set of limited channels starting in November, hoping that you'll buy a subscription for somebody for Christmas. You know, in January it goes back to the basic advertisement channel for XM when you punch it on your car if you're not a member. So I went through it when I got my new truck at work, it had XM free for a month, and after thirty days.
Speaker 4: You didn't listen to anything.
Speaker 3: I thought, you know, I'm not going to spend the money that they want to listen to something I can stream over my phone for free.
Speaker 1: Well. See, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Before the time when a lot of these things could be streamed and the internet had easy access to various broadcasts.
Speaker 1: Like you know, I am a small online radio station right now, right.
Speaker 2: There are plenty of free statesations out there that you could just get as long as you have the right devices.
Speaker 1: But in the early two.
Speaker 2: Thousands, and even going all the way up to say, like you know, I don't know, twenty fifteen or so, there weren't that many, you know, there weren't that many stations out there. You didn't have a good variety, and the satellite broadcasting was way more available, say in you know, two thousand and one.
Speaker 3: Yes, And also also at that time, you didn't have the prevalence of bluetooth in your car.
Speaker 4: You had satellite radio, but you didn't have the.
Speaker 3: Ability to you know, bluetooth your phone into your car to be able to do this, that and the other. Well that's the next thing, your phone.
Speaker 1: See that's the next advantage.
Speaker 2: See, you know, iPods and things were not easily integrated into anything. But they started selling cars with these radios built in. So you had one already installed. You didn't have to go buy the radio. Now it's already in your new car, et cetera, et cetera, and U. But if you want to and you had an older cart, you could go buy a thing and pretty much, you know, within a couple of minutes, you could stick this thing up.
Speaker 1: Make a phone call, Boom, your radio's turned on. And that's the thing.
Speaker 2: Now it had some commercial free stuff and talk radio of all kinds along with those channel simulcasts that you're talking about, but also they had specialized programming like you know, little Steve, Little Stephen Stephen van Zant has you know, a I don't know if he's got a whole station or just a show. But you know, nowadays you have Ozzie's Graveyard or Ozzie's Boneyard, which is, you know, a hard rock station twenty four to seven. Sometimes Ozzy comes on and DJ's the shows. You got different rock stars who during their breaks went on and ran radio shows, et cetera, et cetera, because they were trying to capitalize on stuff like Alice Cooper who had a nationally syndicated radio show for many years. I don't know if he's still does, but they had something with Alice Cooper, Late Nights with Alice Cooper or something Nights with.
Speaker 3: Alice one of the big things. When Garth Books started.
Speaker 1: His channel and all, well there you go see and different people have started channels.
Speaker 2: Plus there's comedy channels on there where they run stand up comedians Kevin Hart or somebody has like a full channel on there.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I would listen to X Sam, that was the only thing I would listen to. As the comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I love the comedy channels. But you know, but here you go, it seemed like.
Speaker 2: And now because it's competing with the fact that there's so many things available on the internet, and you have internet access in your car, I mean without bluetooth even you can just set it up so that your radio is able to pick up things from the Internet and you just send the signal through boom, you know, like you could listen to and I know there were guys listening to my little radio station for while there a couple of years ago. I was hearing from these guys who got together. They did construction work in Ireland, right, and what they would do is they would get into a van, like five six guys in a workman and they would ride to the job site, which at that time their job site was more than an hour away, and they were putting on o'helly dot com radio in Ireland and just listening to the replay shows early morning in Ireland.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, and that's what I you know, that's what I do here when I listened to something off the web, you know, on your show, I'm on my way to work or I'm at work, because I can pause it when I want, I can get back into it if something comes up. I'm out of the truck looking at something. You know, boom, I can stop it, come back and pick up where I left off. It's just so convenient for me, right And although you know, I hate to admit it, but you know, I spent money with Gaggle so that I could have my YouTube music. And that's why I bought a premium was so I could get the music without the commercials out down through that. I can also you know, put YouTube through my blue tooth if I want. But for me driving, you know, I don't need. I used to carry CDs. The last car I bought didn't have a CD player. It had thumb drives, so I had to swipe all my music over loaded up on thumb drives. You know, I had thumb drives enough for thirty six continuous hours of mixed music. So you like little I wanted to listen to.
Speaker 2: You had like little USB sticks that you could just plug in and you could play the music off.
Speaker 1: And that's pretty cool from.
Speaker 4: What right in the usdport and I could go.
Speaker 3: But then once I've had a car with Bluetooth in it, I thought, well, hey, I don't even have to mess with that.
Speaker 1: I got my.
Speaker 4: YouTube music boom. I just stream it while I'm driving to listen to anything I want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agreed, But you know what we should one night do a thing about late night and you know the competition of it and what's mixed into it.
Speaker 1: Saturday Night Live.
Speaker 2: Still get to mention here, I can't believe that show is still on the air because a lot of times I've tried to watch it and it's terrible.
Speaker 4: Was that fifty years?
Speaker 2: Fifty years they've been around? But I'm telling you it's not winners every week for fifty years, because I've seen some.
Speaker 4: Shows in probably thirty years.
Speaker 1: Right, but have you you've caught clips here and there though, right?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because you know it's that's the first thing that usually that's the first thing they lead with on Monday morning on CBS News is something that happened on Saturday Night Live, poking fun at.
Speaker 1: Somebody, right, especially yeah, like right now they watch.
Speaker 4: Anything here on on you know, a program on the net. That's first thing you revenues.
Speaker 3: They were spearing Trump over this or or because this year when they started the season year of what a month and a half ago, two no back, it was September when they came out with the new This was their fiftieth year, so this was going to be a big year. This is the first year that people are taking note that they've gone after. They didn't go after Biden until after he decided to step down. Saturday Night Live came out with their first show and they started spearing Democrats, and that's what caught everybody's attention in mainstream media.
Speaker 5: Oh wait a minute.
Speaker 3: They're not just going after Trump. They're not just going after conservatives, they're not just going after Christian nationalists. They're going after Kamala. Something has changed.
Speaker 1: No, not only.
Speaker 2: Kamala, but I tuned into a couple of clips and man, they're totally like out of it.
Speaker 1: Joe Biden guy is also pretty funny.
Speaker 2: Uh, But they didn't show that until after the collapse of j Finan's campaign and all that.
Speaker 3: David Harvey came back to pull of Biden backt Yeah, that was bringing these older stars back.
Speaker 4: And look at them in these sketches, and they're really catching on. It's a surprising thing the media to realize today.
Speaker 3: Maybe Saturday Night Live has come to a realization that, you know, dumping on one side is not profitable because the show really has gone down in ratings in the past few years. It's you a resurgent because it is the fiftieth year. It's hard to imagine. When Saturday Night Live first came out, people thought this is not going to last, right, they win big guns.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I remember in the late seventies exactly because I remember it in the late seventies, like, you know, the original lineup.
Speaker 1: I think it was what year did they say, seventy six?
Speaker 4: Maybe, well, what's fifty years?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was a little kid.
Speaker 2: Well, I know, I was a little kid and I saw it, and I remember, you know, John Blueshei and all that. Right, it was pretty wild, you know, and it was I do remember people talking about it saying, you know, this thing is crazy and it's not going to last.
Speaker 3: A can't. Yeah, look at the effect that it had on the rest of entertainment, entertainment media. I mean, look at the movies that were generated from Belushi and Achoid and Ghostbusters. Well that's Saturday Night Live cast right there.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, here we go.
Speaker 2: Let's let's get to this and uh and and see what we can what we can learn from the callers.
Speaker 1: I do have a caller and.
Speaker 2: Let's see what do we got here. I'm getting a weird message. I'll deal with this later. This is not something to be dealt with on air. But I do want to get to the callers, anybody who calls in. We do have to get to a break soon too. But apparently I missed him there for a while. Jimmy James is on hold, so I want to get him on air only because he was waiting a long time, and then we're going to go to a break. Okay, be pete. But also looks like we may not have Aaron Franz tonight, so come ten o'clock, I have options. We'll see what we do, but I don't think I'm gonna go, you know, very long, unless you guys insist upon it. If we get some new callers, things like that, or we not new callers. But if we get enough callers and enough discussion going, we'll see where we go, you know. And even if BP can't hang, I'll try and hang. But we're going to have to get to a break pretty soon. So what do you think, Peach? Should we go to Jimmy and then go to a break, because I prefer to do that. He's been on hold. Jeez, I missed him by quite a bit. He's been on hold like twenty minutes. I didn't see him at the bottom. Okay, so my mistake, Jimmy. I meant to get you on sooner.
Speaker 1: But there you are.
Speaker 2: You're live, and I just didn't see you at the bottom of the list. I had to scroll up and you weren't there on the bottom of the list. But nobody else is called in, by the way, either, and I didn't get my usual show on the screen. So now I see you, and I'm sorry, and I'm even gonna hold off on taking.
Speaker 1: A break because you're live. Jimmy James, what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 3: This works out good.
Speaker 5: I wanna terrogate b Pete.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, are you are you prepared? Are you prepared for interrogation?
Speaker 3: Sir? I don't know, Jimmy James. You know how that can be.
Speaker 2: Hey, man, look, I am not responsible for what Jimmy James does to you during interrogation. I'm just telling you and the listeners right now that I have no control over what Jimmy James says or does here.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you've been working on Jimmy interrogate away.
Speaker 5: All right, I'm old school. I'm getting off the phone book. It's gonna work them.
Speaker 3: Over nice now.
Speaker 2: I was won.
Speaker 5: Be Pete in your opinion. I'm just curious about this.
Speaker 3: What what what is?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 5: What was the best Daytona five hundred ever?
Speaker 1: Hm hmmm, question I'd asked you.
Speaker 3: I don't know about the best when it was probably the most tragic one, but that was the one that stands out in my mind is the one where Dale Earnhardt Junior won and his dad ended up dying on the final lap. That's the one that stands out in my mind.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was at a Daytona five hundred.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Daytona five hundred is always the opening race for the season. You know Super Bowls at the end of the football season. You know the World Series is at the end of the baseball season, and NASCAR puts their biggest race to open the season.
Speaker 4: That's the Daytona five hundred.
Speaker 2: By the way, Jimmy, just I know you want to interrogate b Pete, but I want to tell you how happy I am that the LA Dodgers beat the damn New York Yankees.
Speaker 1: So I'm just happy to see the Yankees lose but go ahead.
Speaker 5: No, I thought they were going to make a comeback. I felt their problem.
Speaker 1: They tried, they tried, but I'm glad they failed.
Speaker 3: You think about it, they had what they started out with five runs right off the bat, and then one misplay from a pitcher turned that entire game around.
Speaker 1: Yep. The momentum shifted.
Speaker 2: And the next thing you knew is that the Dodgers just methodically marched through them, didn't they.
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: And I was so glad to see it. Man, I hate it when the Yankees win. I'd never like to see the Yankees win. And you know what, if I can't root for the Mets, I'll root for whoever the hell is playing the Yankees to beat them.
Speaker 1: I don't care who else.
Speaker 3: I didn't really care who won on this one because I'm a Toronto fan, just because my past affiliation with them, and they're in the Al East and they have to deal with the Yankees every year, and I get tired of the Yankees. But I wanted to continue a couple more games because these guys on both sides were knocking to out of the ball every night. You see, that's something you thought fast.
Speaker 2: You got to say that it was exciting games of interest. There was nothing where it was just complete, yawning blowout. There was nothing where even the pitching duel, which some people think is exciting, you know that you didn't have pitching duels that were ridiculously boring. A few Boks though, that was a weird thing. I don't recall ever seeing before in a World Series.
Speaker 3: Box because they changed. Yeah, they changed the rule on box. You know, if you if you throw twice, you're allowed three times to pick somebody off, because it used to drag out the game, and that was one of the complaints that they came up with.
Speaker 4: Remember when they came.
Speaker 3: Up with the hitting clock, Well that kind of disappeared, but the one that stayed was the Balk rule where you try to pick the guy off. If you don't get him on the third chance, he gets awarded a base.
Speaker 2: Right, So technically you can throw three times, but you got to nail him on that third attempt otherwise Buck exactly. Yeah, And I didn't know that when I saw it because I was looking at it because I was looking for, you know, miscontact with the rubber or something like that, because there was some other books that happened that didn't have to do it with the Throad earlier in the series.
Speaker 1: But either way, errors by the Yankees.
Speaker 2: But also don't take a single thing away from the fact that the Dodgers were in it.
Speaker 1: Every inning. It seemed like they were in it. It wasn't like they ever laid down and gave up.
Speaker 4: We had saw some great brand slams too.
Speaker 3: I mean, these guys hitters, it's amazing the power that these hitters have nowadays. I don't know if it's a change in the equipment or the technology or just their training that they go to, but these guys they're not going to cover off the balls. And when you I don't care what the game is, there's nothing more excited than a World Series game if you loved baseball. But for somebody, a walk off grand slam, I mean, you don't see that very often, you know. In fact, this was the first time it ever happened in a World Series game. But it wasn't just that game. The last game where the Yankees get boom grand slammed, are up by five runs. You know, it's just amazing the talent that we saw in this series. I hated to see it end. I guess I could pull for the Dodgers on this one because the Yankees had been in.
Speaker 7: It so long.
Speaker 3: But I thought, I'm like Jimmy thought they were gonna come back. We were gonna go another night.
Speaker 1: Well the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Here's the cool thing though. The reason why the Dodgers are likely to get Grand Slams though, is because it seemed to me as though they were pointing them to a lot of statistics that said, these guys draw a lot of walks, just a lot. And look, no matter how you get people on base, if you keep loading up the bases, you're going to increase your chances of that Grand Slam.
Speaker 1: Baby. That's all there is to it.
Speaker 3: And uh, oh absolutely.
Speaker 1: You know what what is that guy?
Speaker 2: The Japanese guy who was like, you know, the hitter and pitcher that is like, you know, banging the ball out.
Speaker 1: What do you have fifty six home runs this year or something?
Speaker 4: Yeah, his souber injuries that hurt him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, but just the fact that this guy, yeah he can't pitch right now, but he could still hit.
Speaker 1: You know, he wasn't even the big productive guy. It was just amazing. The guy.
Speaker 2: I think they gave the MVP two is isn't he the same guy who hit like a home run in each of the four first four games?
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I'm not sure what his name is, and I'm not up on these on these newer players on the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's the thing. But it was good every night. It was good. Yeah, it was good. Baseball was solid all the way around.
Speaker 2: Even it wasn't even like even when he had a high scoring game, it didn't, you know, even when the game went high scoring.
Speaker 1: What's happen to me?
Speaker 5: They kept it pretty good. Yeah, and they yeah, halfway through that after the ink, just wanted to get that game. And then the next day, halfway through it sure looked like they're gonna win again.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: They were even playing that Empire strikes Back music.
Speaker 3: So that's right.
Speaker 5: They know who they are. They're the Empire. We know. They don't need to tell us.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. And the guy who yes question, what.
Speaker 3: What is your favorite five hundred?
Speaker 5: Well that's the whole thing. I'm not intimate NASCAR hold out, So I have to.
Speaker 1: Ask you, see now, why did you ask that question? If you're not even in the next car. This is weird. Why why did you need to know that from b Pete. I'm curious.
Speaker 5: I need to know things stories, some stories behind the stories.
Speaker 1: Oh uh, be Petey, there's something I must have missed here.
Speaker 3: What can you? Hell?
Speaker 2: Huh, there's something I missed here? I mean, are you just like taking a personality test from bpdre?
Speaker 1: Is that what we're doing here?
Speaker 2: You're gonna ask him a couple of other questions that won't make any sense to me, just to see what kind of guy he is.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is this is sating.
Speaker 5: It's nothing like that. Well continue, if he came au pot guy and his cars broke down offside the road.
Speaker 8: No no, no, not that, Oh no no, I need to know here.
Speaker 5: Here's what I want to know more about.
Speaker 1: In Roselle interrogate Away, I want to know more.
Speaker 5: I want to know more about Black Thursday. I want to know more about the nineteen seventy nine day two of five hundred. I want to know about Black Thursday. And I want to know.
Speaker 6: More about that Roselle that disappear.
Speaker 1: This is what I read, Roselle who disappeared? Yeah, well you're not talking.
Speaker 5: Yeah this show if you zo into this day I understanding is in nineteen seventy nine Day of five hundred. This kind of when NASCAR made it, when people actually started watching such.
Speaker 6: A big show.
Speaker 4: Well at that time, there's a big back then.
Speaker 3: That's that's when it was the old Winston Cup before the federal governments went after Joe Cammell and Winston had to pull their sponsorship of the entire series. And also back then, the Daytona five hundred was the second race of the year and not the first. They had changed it after that.
Speaker 1: But was it still called stock car racing then? Was it still called stock car racing.
Speaker 3: It's still called stock car racing, although it's not stock cars. Everything comes from a template. That's one of the biggest complaints that these.
Speaker 4: Teams have.
Speaker 3: They're regulated so much. They have been able to produce enough horsepower that if they somebody told me one time, these cars can go so fast if they turned the door sideways, they'd go airborne, meaning if you turn the doors like wings, they'd be taken off the horse power that these cars can generate now, but they started regulating things. Daytona is a super speedway, which means the restrictor plate racing. NASCAR came up with this side a while back on these bigger tracks Talladega, Daytona that.
Speaker 4: The cars.
Speaker 3: Had to be regulated, so they put in a restrictor plate under the old four barrel carburetor systems you have. You know, it sits on top of the manifold and your four barrels line up with barrels in the banifold to allow that gas mixture into the firing chamber.
Speaker 4: What they did is they called it's called restrictor plate racing.
Speaker 3: On these big tracks, they have to put a restrictor plate which restricts the amount of fuel that goes into the combustion chamber, and it actually slows the cars down.
Speaker 4: It impedes them.
Speaker 3: And one of the big complaints is we need to get rid of restrictor plate racing because all these cars they bunched up. People like to see rex. All these cars they bunched up on the track. Somebody makes them move, something happens, you're in a twenty car pile up. Oh, And that's great for the TV viewer, and that's great for the race fan, but it's not good for the race teams when you're tearing up multimillion dollar vehicles in one accident and you're having to haul it back to the shop as junk. So Daytona. You know, they used to race Daytona on the sand at Daytona beachs And they finally made the switch over the hard tavement once they built the dayton A system. But nowadays the cars are so regulated by NASCAR, they come up with a template. You know, back then you had you had Chevies, you had Fords, you had Mercury's, you had Buicks, you had all the makes. It started out these guys would get a car taken in their garage, fixed it up, take it to the racetrack at Daytona. You had all these different brands. Well now GM has gotten rid of everything except the Chevy. Ford doesn't run. You can't find a Mercury now. In fact, they did some tests a few years ago when the tourists came out and they were going to use the Ford Taurus, and they took the Mercury Cougar into the wind tunnel, which was basically a tourust frame and body, except a different front end and a different rear end, and they found out that the Mercury Cougar actually was better aerodynamically than the four Forests.
Speaker 4: Afford made a decision. We want Ford on that car.
Speaker 3: Not Mercury. We don't race Mercury's anymore. And you had Toyota come in. Okay, they're an American bill car. But the NASCAR organization has come up with these templates that these cars have to fit, and they have watered these things down to where now it doesn't matter whether you're in a Chevy Afford for a Toyota, a Camra compared to a Camaro compared to a Mustang on the street is one thing. On the dragstrip is one thing, But when it comes to NASCAR, you're basically driving the same car because of these templates that they have to fit these cars too. It's taking stock completely out of it.
Speaker 4: They're no longer Stocked.
Speaker 5: Made a name for itself in seventy one NASCAR, you know, they had rules about the sixth wing type cars. They basically wanted to get rid of those wings in the back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Challenger, You had the Dodge Challenger in the road Runner. You know this number of the super b that had the big wing on the back. Used to to qualify for stock cars under NASCAR, you had to have so many cars in production for it to count. It had to be an actual car people could buy. Now you could take it to your garage and jack up the engine and do what you want. But that's how I remember. The old Petty had a Dodge charger that had a wing on the back of it. There are cars, you know, they need to hear them and to rid his stuff.
Speaker 5: The first Gay in nineteen seventy one, this guy won the race with the wing after they they weren't banned at this point that they said, okay, if you want to use a fit screen, you have to have a less powerful engine. So Rosselli did it and he still won the race, and then he was highly in demand as a mechanic and engineering.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: But anyway, something happened in the early eighties. It was called Black Thursday, where seventy eighty NASCAR drivers were all busted for drugs monthly, and this Roselli was involved. Well, he was the only one of the only people not arrested, which might be why he disappeared. But this while I'm trying to find out if you know anything about me, did it happened in rural early eighties?
Speaker 1: Wasn't there a handful of guys that disappeared?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 2: Between the seventies and the nineties from NASCAR are like, not just not just this Black Thursday or whatever it is you're talking about, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Jimmy's Jimmy's Jimmy's Jimmy's pulling saying Roselli. Right, you had Scooter on your show the other night. It's Maryel Rossi Rossi. Okay, Yeah, he disappeared after a three hundred million dollars drug bust cost NASCAR a genius whose work could have helped save Dale earn Hard Senior's life.
Speaker 2: Okay, that Rossi is the guy. Yeah, that's one of the guys. And then there was another guy who disappeared for a couple of years and then showed up dead inside of a car, like in the middle of a desert right in uh in the late eighties.
Speaker 1: Not this guy, but another one.
Speaker 2: Like isn't there a slew of like weird unsolved murders that went on there for like over a twenty year period with NASCAR people, which, by the way, I got an interesting question for you because I never knew this, but I got a couple of things sent to me, one about it, one article about a squirrel. Maybe I'll get to later. But also an article about NASCAR, and I was a little shocked to find out when NASCAR was actually founded and some of the things that were going on when it was founded. So I want to ask you guys both some questions here. Jimmy James, do you know what year NASCAR was founded?
Speaker 5: Yes, roughly, because I've been a lot of study on this. Okay, it's like forty seven eight. Yes, started out as moonshiners. I know, they started out moonshiners, and many of the kios lived in the seventies, they switched to the Devils sleds.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing in nineteen forty eight.
Speaker 2: February twenty first, nineteen forty eight, it was founded, according to their official biography.
Speaker 1: But what's interesting here is is this part of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, NASCAR was founded by William Frantz Senior on February twenty first, nineteen forty eight, with the help of several other drivers of the time. The original plans for NASCAR included three district divisions distinct excuse me, distinct divisions, and the distinct divisions were modified roadster and strictly stock. Now, I remember when I was a kid, they were still calling a lot of this racing, stock car racing, and it sort of went away at a certain point and then everything was NASCAR. So I was always confused by this, and uh, well that's what a racar actually means.
Speaker 4: You know, NASCAR is the National Association for stock car auto racing.
Speaker 1: Okay, and the big thing was we had.
Speaker 3: But go ahead, Jimmy, I.
Speaker 5: Picked the distinction of these days would be MASCAR versus Formula One.
Speaker 2: And yeah, but Formula one is like those cars that are not shaped like cars, right, I mean they are those almost rocket shaped things. That's a whole other issue.
Speaker 1: That's yeah.
Speaker 5: Well nowadays, I mean that's why they still Carr Star Star Car because they're not like those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because those things are, you know, weird, They're they're like, you know, the kind of race cars that they used to make beds out of them. They made beds that were shaped like those things at one point, right, That's what that's what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the NASCAR has expanded. I mean they have their their top three divisions now are the Cup Series, Exfinity, which is the it's basically the same car, the same car, but it's lighter as a smaller engine, so that's the Exfinity Series, and then you've got the Truck Series where they're racing trucks, but you also have lower divisions that you see a lot at these smaller local tracks. It will be a NASCAR event, but it's in one of their lesser divisions. And these guys, I mean, I think they sponsor stuff all the way down to go kart racing, and that's where a lot of these guys get their start is racing go karts and then open wheelers, and then they move up these divisions. And Tony Stewart was a big dirt track racer for a long time before he ever made the jump up to Exfinity into well, the Cup series used to be. I'm so used to saying Winston Cup because they've held it the longest sponsorship. But you know, NASCAR does have a lot of divisions. I think I don't know how many they've got. They sponsor over fifteen hundred races at over one hundred different tracks in the continental US, and they're also in Canada, Mexico, Brazil and Europe.
Speaker 4: I mean, they've gotten that big.
Speaker 2: And sometimes they do partial sponsorships because I actually, uh, you know, brought a spot on a race car. They used to be at the dirt track in New Egypt in New Jersey, and you know, so we had the thing that you know, was like go to go to my local exon that that I was sponsoring this thing for and uh we we had a little little bit like a sticker on his car that said this right. Uh it was you know, part of his paint job.
Speaker 5: And uh.
Speaker 2: That was on a dirt track and it wasn't a NASCAR event per se, but it was somehow partially supported by NASCAR. And on that same track they also ran what they call midget cars. And these are these like little tiny cars that they run. I don't know how to describe it, but they're they're kind of fast, and they're they're oddly shaped a lot of them, but they're very small. They're much smaller than irregular car. And the one of these aren't the funny cars. Funny cars they had at tracks like an English town, uh in New Jersey and stuff like that, and those were like, uh, the drag racers.
Speaker 3: And that kind of stuffy cars is a division in drag racing now. Yeah, it comes under the top fuel and funny cars. Remember the old uh, Don Trudeam the Snake and the Mongoose, two drivers that that matched up with Mattel and were sponsored by Mattel Toy Company.
Speaker 4: And you can go out and purchase you know, these models and and and small die casts.
Speaker 3: Don Garlets, to me, he's the greatest top field drags drag racer of all time. You know, John Force is big, but to me, I always remember Don Garlics because he was the name when it came to rail uh drag in my day, right.
Speaker 2: Well, but I remember seeing this stuff at what was at English Town, and there was another track and these were they would put the rocket propelled cars on and uh like that one car that walked like a dinosaur and the monster trucks would come out and crush a.
Speaker 1: Bunch of things. Uh you know, and they mixed all that together.
Speaker 2: But the funny cars and the drag racers and the fire spinning cars and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, that was totally different, you know, but but it was wild.
Speaker 2: I was just looking at this though, going, you know, how is it that they went from that thing where they got these three divisions to what it is we see today and what actually happened to stock cars.
Speaker 3: But like BP says, you get more, you see more stock cars in the lower divisions where a guy goes out and gets an old mailbox beater goes to work on it. What you're dealing with now is basically what engine is in it. That's what kind of car you're running. You're running a Chevy, you're running a Ford, or you're running this. It's a framework that's put together and then a bunch of sheet metal has been around it to make it kind of look like a car. It's not what it used to be. It has grown so big though, that it covers, Like I said, everything from go cart racing, Bruce Sprints modified up to you get into the actual stock cars, your Cup series and your Exfinity series. It used to be used to be Winston Cup and the Bush Cup when bush Beard sponsored things. But you know the government had.
Speaker 4: To stick their trum in it.
Speaker 3: You can't can't have Joe Cammell's sponsoring a car because a kid might see.
Speaker 4: It and start smoking. Well, they got rid of that mentality.
Speaker 1: Like the cigarette ads had to him off because you know you could see him on TV.
Speaker 2: And they also took it off and like say say Stadium had giant Marlborough signs, you know, baseball, and then they said, you know, you're not allowed to broadcast cigarette ads, but every time you turn on a Mets game, you got Marlborough Giant Marlborough banners.
Speaker 1: If somebody hits a deep fly ball or on your screen, aren't that you know?
Speaker 3: So if you hit the Marlboro man, you know, we donate one hundred dollars to children's cancer research.
Speaker 4: You know, that kind of stuff going on in all these dog barks.
Speaker 3: Well, it was funny because that's to a point that started this. You know, he asked me my favorite Taytotal race, and I said it's my most memorable one. But this guy that he's talking about, ROSSI is one of those innovators that came up with things that possibly could have saved Dale Earnhard Senior's life. And that's because he was the one who came with the modifications to the seat belts, was designing headdress, he was safety oriented in a lot of this technology that he came up with. And apparently, you know, the guy said he was a genius in the way he went about looking looking at at racing from the guy sitting in the seat, the problem was Earnhardt never embraced any of the Hams devices, of the Hans device that they use now which cuts down on whiplash, and that's what killed Dale Earnhardt. It's killed a lot of drivers over the years, we just didn't read about it. Earnhardt was the big name that it affected. And what was so memorable about that his son is leading the race. Another team member, Daryl Waltrip or Michael Waltrip, is behind him. They're running for the same owner. They're one and two. They're going to take the top two spots in this race. Dale Earnhardt is behind him, and the whole pack is behind Dale Earnhart. And we're on the final lap and Dale Earnhardt is doing what he can. Earnhardt has never thrown a race except this one. He could have been competitive that day. He sees his son about to win the greatest race in all of NASCAR. He does what he can to keep the field off their butts, and that's what cost him. He was holding up traffic. Somebody pulled up behind him. He had cars to the side of him, but it took the air off his rear spoiler and when he did, his back end got loose. And on these super speedway tracks, when your rear end gets loose just from the torque, immediately you start turning towards the wall. And that's what happened. Well, if I'm not mistaken, it was it was Kenny Wallace, No, not Kenny Wallace, Rusty Wallace, I think that's who it was, pulled up behind him, took the air off of him.
Speaker 4: He turned and went right into the wall.
Speaker 3: And it happened on the last lap. So you have them celebrating the Winter Circle. Dale Ear and R Juniors has just run one of the biggest race in racing and he didn't know, but his dad is already dead on the infield center when they got him out of the car. And that's why I remember it just being the most memorable because he had a father son racing and as a ben the son wins and the father ends up dying on the last lap to help provide the win for his son.
Speaker 2: Well look your voice, say, yeah, your voice is starting to break up. And you answered Jimmy James question, let's let you take a break. Let's let me take a break. It looks like Aaron Franz is not going to join us at ten PM. So you know, we're only ten minutes away from when the show should end, but instead we'll take a break, come back on the other side, uh.
Speaker 1: And see what else we can get to.
Speaker 2: I put Jimmy James on hold, but you out there listening to us can join us for the next little while. If we keep getting calls, I'll keep us on the air, but otherwise maybe we'll close it out after we get to a couple of things on the other side of this break, So stick around. The Ocelli effect continues after this. Three one nine, five, two seven, five zero one six is the number to.
Speaker 1: Sunday.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping us thirty drags, drift Wat's the best were engine Field drivestris in Look Country trying to push their machines into the magic five second life time barrier. Yo.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 10: This Doug Campbell, host of the Dallas Action podcast presented by Wall Street Window, and you are listening to the Ochele effect revelation through conversation.
Speaker 1: Let her know, No, you got to let them know.
Speaker 3: I'm bringing all shark looking.
Speaker 1: Car rocks and from Burled at the drug show.
Speaker 11: I'm bringing all shadow I can care rots and burlid at the drug shows. The more we just met that the world's worst professional pocka tour tick them like it's two thousands something and Bucker's back on tour. You never really wanted me anyway. Alcohol turns me into your enemies. I'm go some many sad with some hannasy. I used to think that bottle was the remedy.
Speaker 1: Picked it up once or twice after I let it go, but finally had to let it be.
Speaker 11: I used to roll over the five bed she would give me and left timper some literacy, I mean literally, I figure I mean the letter.
Speaker 1: In all long chances we DeFi states then.
Speaker 12: Learn let Golly dot com radium network.
Speaker 1: Co use expressed by cooler schools. There anyone else who happens to get on the air. Who's golly dot com?
Speaker 2: If you not necessarily reflect the views of Lly dot Com or ull and we are not responsible for any stupidity which might ensue.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 8: The War State by Michael Swanson explains the great national transformation that took place and put the Kennedy presidency in the context of the Times and reveals never before published information about the Cuban missile crisis. President Kennedy would not have been assassinated if he had been president two hundred years ago. His assassination took place in the context of the Cold War and the rise of the national security state. Before World War II, the United States was a continental republic. In the decade that followed, it became an imperial superpower. Generals such as Curtis LeMay not only wanted to invade Cuba, but knew that there were short range missiles on the island arn't with nuclear warheads that they could not destroy because they were on mobile launchers. Their invasion could have led to a Third World War, and they wanted to go to war anyway. The War State by Michael Swanson reveals why, and we'll show you what President Kennedy was up against.
Speaker 1: For more information The Warstate dot com.
Speaker 13: Uncle, do you remember that time when Benjamin Fulford said that an Asian secret society was going to dispatch ninja's to take down the Illuminati?
Speaker 1: Ooh, that's interesting.
Speaker 12: Yeah in Theklatoon.
Speaker 13: Yeah did that ever work out too good?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 13: It didn't, did it? But here on o'chelly dot com radio network, things work out a bit better, don't.
Speaker 1: They much better? Much?
Speaker 14: Me is clear and understanding about the programs, the programs, how much clear getting live people into it. They really have a good conversation going much better, such better scene.
Speaker 13: I say, forget Benjamin Fulford and his ninjas and listen to the ochelly dot com Radio Network.
Speaker 1: I agree, it's straight to the point, straight talk, and I like that idea.
Speaker 15: O'chelly dot com, Ochilli dot com.
Speaker 3: Do you like history?
Speaker 15: Real history that you were never taught in schools? Why the Vietnam War Nuclear Bombs in nation Building in Southeast Asia by author Mike Swanson, with new documentation never seen before that will open your eyes to events.
Speaker 1: That led up to this.
Speaker 15: Why the Vietnam War Nuclear Bombs in nation Building in Southeast Asia nineteen forty five through nineteen sixty one. Get your copy today at Amazon dot com. Why the Vietnam War by author Mike.
Speaker 12: Swanson, The Shelley dot Com Radio Network.
Speaker 15: O chilly dot com.
Speaker 1: Get ready, Get ready for the.
Speaker 2: Segment number two and the final segment of the Friday night open mic here on Olly dot Compete with me my co host. So far a bunch of Nascar talk. We were going to go into some other directions, hit some news headlines and take callers, but we've only gotten one call so far, so we're gonna wind up going back to him. Jimmy James is hanging on the line still. We'll bring him back on, but we can have you joined because as we pass over the ten o'clock hour, Aaron Franz is not gonna make it tonight, so we'll just continue to be live for as long as we get calls.
Speaker 1: How about that.
Speaker 2: If we don't get any more calls, well, this last segment will end pretty soon. We'll let Jimmy James get another word in as wise, and let me Pete talk for a minute if he wants, and get gone. Because that's that for a Friday night on o'chelly dot com. How about that? You can join us three to one nine five two seven five zero one six three one nine five two seven five zero one six. By the way, uh, internet outages along with let's see cancelations from Guess have slowed down some of my shows recently.
Speaker 1: Now I got out what two podcasts this week? Yikes?
Speaker 2: Not a lot, but you know, doing the best I can also released the video version of the Groden interview. It's up on the end advertised YouTube channel, which I think might have broken a hundred subscribers recently, but I'm not really keeping track of it, advertising it or anything. But the Ocelli effect is also upon Rumble and a few other video platforms, so there people actually catch it. But Robert Goroden was on and we talked about the Zuppruter film and he wouldn't mind doing a return trip. I'm not sure if he wants to come on after the conference or before, but either way, we're gonna hear from Larry Hancock again before I go to Dallas, and with any luck, we'll also hear from well, oh wait, Mike Swanson said he wants to come back and do a recap on the conference. As he is the first presenter in Dallas, he'll be the first one to come out, so he's opening the conference. Uh, and I will be the in person MC there. Tickets are still available at Assassinationconference dot com and you can get a discount ten percent off for using Ocelly ten as your discount code. O Shelly ten no spaces is your discount code on Assassination Conference dot com for all tickets, whether in person or virtual.
Speaker 1: Yes me, Pete, you got a question?
Speaker 3: Yes, I haven't talked to Gail Nicks in a while. Is she presenting that this one?
Speaker 6: Anything?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 1: We got Gail in there.
Speaker 2: I also last minute got them to add the guy from the Jacob Hornberger Freedom Freedom Foundation.
Speaker 1: Damn, I always forget it.
Speaker 2: It's triple fuh for Freedom Foundation. Jacob Hornberger, who has written what three books on the Zuppruter film slash the Kennedy Assassination.
Speaker 1: I don't necessarily agree.
Speaker 2: With Jacob's views, but I've had him on the show. Robert Groden is going to be presenting. I just had him on the show for the first time. Larry Hancock will be presenting virtually, David Boylin will be there in person. Doug Campbell, I believe, is going to be there. Scooter Joe is showing up. You know Joey Scooter, right.
Speaker 4: I just call him Scooter.
Speaker 1: Scooter Scooter is going to be scooting in.
Speaker 2: You know a bunch of people who you know, and some people I never heard of, including a couple of young'uns. In fact, that twenty five year old guy had on recently. Alex Harris is returning. Last year the youngest presenter I think ever at a conference at the age of fourteen, but back again at the age of fifteen in Dallas doing more photographic discussions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: Able to go while I was home with the flu. This week, I was able to hit two and started watching a bunch of old documentaries had been put out there, and I was able to watch again all of uh when Dank Bar stuff and jud File collection and and even some of Judy Berudi's old stuff.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, James Files held on a second, James Files stuff is available on TB.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh wow, I did not. It wasn't that did the interview with him when he was in jail before he got out. Yeah, I've watched that just the other day.
Speaker 1: Well, there's two versions of that interview.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: One of them was recorded before WHIM had control of the James Files property, and that was the big deal one, the earlier one, and then there's another one they redid it, uh later on after when I watched.
Speaker 4: Both watched the one that Joe West did originally and then.
Speaker 3: Was put you know when it was part of he was actually a part of boat processes, you know, because he took over Joe West South eventually.
Speaker 1: Well he took it over from Bob Uh, the guy was a music promoter, Bob Damn.
Speaker 2: I can't remember the guy's name. But now he's like disavowed his connection to it. Like he's like now I realized it was no good, but only after he sold all of the all of the rights to.
Speaker 1: It to win.
Speaker 3: We didn't have control, but he was money and then I don't believe it right, he got his money and then said, somebody we haven't seen anything from in years is whim deny bar. You know, he's kind of true led the scene here on a few things, even.
Speaker 2: With James Files coming back around and last year when we were in Dallas where there was all kinds of rumors that he was supposed to be on the Knowll and I heard that maybe he had done a tour on the Knowll with you know, a selected group of people that went to go see James Files in Dallas to go hang out with him. He gave him a tour of the Knowell. This is where I was standing, and this is what happened. You know, did you hear about that?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 3: I would have liked to have been in on that because I got some questions about where he was standing in what was going on if what he said actually took place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do too, but I don't think he'd like my questions because you exactly.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I still.
Speaker 3: Have yet to have anybody debunk the fact that the research that I mean, even the FBI went and checked and said by phone records the whole time he was in Chicago. And that's where I learned the story that he supposedly had a twin brother. You know, files starts out in this interview saying, yep, and if you go and get a copy of a birth certificate, it will say deceased because I supposedly died at birth.
Speaker 4: Blah blah blah. And when it came up for his story, when his story came out that he was.
Speaker 3: There and all these people were involved, and he was doing this and doing that, you know, he claimed to spend a lot of time with Oswald that Oswald was accounted for and supposedly riding around and learning the.
Speaker 4: Area and the railroad tracks and the dead ends.
Speaker 3: And the blah blah blah. You know, it was kind of funny that, you know, he's spending all this time with Oswald when Oswalt was when people knew where he was at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people had eyes on him here he was living there. I loved it because there was a certain point got me my favorite point. Wait a second, My.
Speaker 2: Favorite point is you know why he had, you know, gunshot residue on his hand because he was picking up my expended shells as we were out out testing the fireball, right, and Lee Harvey Oswald had he had gunshot residue on his hands for picking up my expended shells. I was cracking up.
Speaker 1: And then he shows you a picture and says, this is me in the hotel room.
Speaker 3: Traces on the palm of his hand, and it was because I told him to pick up those shells out there before we get out of here.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And and also he shows you a picture of allegedly him in the hotel room at that time.
Speaker 1: You know who took his picture?
Speaker 2: In one of the interviews, he says, Lee Harvey Oswald took the picture, yeah, that you see of him as.
Speaker 1: A young man. And I'm like, this is hilarious.
Speaker 3: And supposedly the two guys standing there. Later later in the episode, he says that the guy that was standing beside him is the one that actually killed Tibby. Yeah, but he won't disclose his name.
Speaker 4: You're not going to do that, right, just killed me.
Speaker 3: But the claim came up that, you know, he was down here doing all this stuff and the FBI were checking phone records and things like that, and they put him in the hospital with his wife. And this is the first in since where I heard the story that supposedly, not only did he not die in childbirth, but apparently he had a twin brother that no one had ever heard of before. And it was his twin brother that was seen in Chicago with his wife while he was down in Dallas, right, And I think the twin brother, Nate said.
Speaker 2: I think the twin brother has since disappeared, though, b PTE Dsney because there's no birth.
Speaker 4: Record for got wiped out real quick.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's hilarious.
Speaker 2: You know what I love best is, you know, they did an interview with Jim Mars and they they have a you know, a complete, you know, formal edit of this thing of him in you know, in prison talking about this and that and the terrible water they're drinking and all that stuff, right, and Jim.
Speaker 1: Mars is interviewing him. But afterwards there were outtakes, right, stuff that they didn't use in the interview. Have you ever watched that part of it?
Speaker 4: No, I don't think I've seen that one yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I don't know when still sells this, But for a while he had a DVD out there that was you know, it was in a nice box.
Speaker 1: It looked good and everything.
Speaker 2: But it's like Files on JFK I think is the name of the documentary where they play certain parts and Joe West believed him in the FPI. I believed him and everybody believed James Files because he was there.
Speaker 1: And then they show you in the interview, you know.
Speaker 2: Anyways, afterwards though, there's other stuff going on, and he starts talking to him about you know, did you know this person?
Speaker 1: Did you know that person? James Miles knew everybody? Did you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's the female Judith.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but it's great because did you know Fletcher Proudy was my favorite one? Oh yeah, I knew Fletcher Proudy.
Speaker 1: He was a good man.
Speaker 2: And then Mars said where did you meet him? And he says, actually I met him in Vietnam.
Speaker 1: We were all over there.
Speaker 2: I'm cracking up. He says that he met Fletcher Proudy in Vietnam. Okay, and that they had done some operations together and he was a good man, a solid man.
Speaker 1: He knew him quite well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody, it's see about. The whole deal was he was seventeen when he went into the military, and at that time, your basic training was not like you know, the three months of the nine weeks it is now.
Speaker 4: You know, it was a lot longer.
Speaker 3: And he joined the Marine Corps and their training was actually longer than the Armies.
Speaker 4: When he came to Basin and they.
Speaker 3: Were saying, Okay, how was this guy a member of the Green Berets at seventeen and over in Laos and Cambodia running special ops with the Green Berets. It's just impossible. There's no record of him being in the military ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, forget that doesn't matter. There's no record of that. He couldn't.
Speaker 2: The only thing that I heard him say that was accurate in his interview that like stunned me a little bit was that he's the first guy I ever saw that didn't state that it was, you know, the head of the Chicago outfit at the time. Everybody always defaults to get you know, you know who they always say is the guy who was in charge of like the godfather of chicag Right, yeah, Giaconna. Well it's Gianna gi and Conna and supposedly gian Kanna sent him, right. Well, what's funny about that is at a certain point he does point out that g and Kanna.
Speaker 1: Even though most people believe he.
Speaker 2: Was in charge of the majority of things on the ground in Chicago, at a certain point he wasn't. There was another guy there named Toniocardo, and yeah he was.
Speaker 3: He was the head of the family before Giancanna took over. And that's one thing that killed me when this happened back in fifty five. And then Files comes up and says, well, everybody thinks Gioconna was running everything, but it was still a Cardo. Well, well that's not how this works.
Speaker 1: But Acardo was running certain things during certain.
Speaker 2: Time periods that he's talking about when he's giving the history leading up to and g and Conna didn't have absolute control of Chicago at the time of the assassination.
Speaker 1: That's a misnomer. He wasn't in control of everybody there. That wasn't the way it was. There were still people that were loyal to.
Speaker 2: The Ecardo faction that were running their own program as a matter of fact, in opposition to g and Conna. Okay, and a lot of people, even these mob historians, get this wrong. It wasn't unified. Everybody in the mafia was under g and Conna in Chicago circumstance. It just wasn't that way at the time. And when you start to look at who's who and who Rosellie would have dealt with, because he claims he went with Roselli, you know, Rosellie's with him, right, everybody's with him. You know, Lee Harby Oswald comes knocking on his hotel room door in Mesquite, Texas. He says at the time, right, and Lee Harby Oswald could drive, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Right, this stuff killed me. You know, I was hanging out with Lear Osma.
Speaker 7: It's me is you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the other stuff we don't pay a lot of attention to. But when he starts staying specifically I spent this much time with Lee Harvey Oswald, I'm going.
Speaker 1: No, you didn't. You see.
Speaker 2: But there's the problem. We know possible, right, we can account for Oswald really really well. In the seventy two hours leading up to the assassination. Let's be honest, And there's.
Speaker 1: No way that he has time to do half of what Files claims he did with him.
Speaker 2: He doesn't have the time or the wherewithal to do or to get to or to participate in half of what Files is talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what the day before they were out there, you know, getting all the weapons ready, and and you know Oswald was with him. Oswald was at work right a heart to be out in the middle of the desert near Mesquite and at work downtown Dallas at the same time.
Speaker 2: It is tough, I admit, but you know in certain people's worlds where Chuck Nicoletty was also known to be somewhere else at the time. But he claims he's the guy shooting from the down text building, right, Okay.
Speaker 3: Well, because no, no, no, See that's the funny thing about Files. Okay, he said, Nicolette, you know, he balked out because he got aborted, he got called off.
Speaker 1: Oh wait a.
Speaker 2: Minute, So Nicolette who took the shot because somebody else told him, you know, you shot too fast or some nonsense that he said, you did it, you know, you you acted too quickly.
Speaker 1: For some reason.
Speaker 4: It was Roselli.
Speaker 1: Roselli told him that okay, So who was who took the other shot? Then Roselli.
Speaker 3: He says he doesn't know, but one of them, one of them supposedly was fun and this was the story that came out. I still haven't figured out how they knew about these things just to put him out there in a narrative. But that's what Toss Plumbley comes in, because I've always had a question if the government was going to take out Kennedy, why would they send in an abort team three hours before the supposed assassination. Well, if you want to abort something, they knew who was involved in this.
Speaker 2: Somebody had to be on the opposite side of Somebody had to be on the opposite side of Elm Street to see him from the other angle where Tosh Plumley claims to be, even though photographically we can prove nobody was standing where he says he was and saw Kennedy's head.
Speaker 1: Go way back.
Speaker 3: But not only that, you've got an aboard team coming in that knows everybody that's on the assassination team. Yepwot that's where they were going to be. Why didn't they shoot the assassins? No would have aborted it right there.
Speaker 2: Really none of them got shot, right, none of them got shot or arrested, which would have been two ways to neutralize the assassination team. Right, get him into a jail cell and have somebody shank him in the jail cell. Oops, acts happened. Or just get him shot and killed on the streets somewhere. Oops, accidents happened.
Speaker 1: Or hire a.
Speaker 2: Cop to kill him in cold blood because he's carrying the weapon and sorry, but he pointed it at me. And oh, by the way, forensics would have been a whole lot more difficult to prove at that time. A Dallas cop saying this guy had guns on him and pointed it at me would probably be believed for the most part. So, you know, you could have taken one of the corrupt cops in Dallas, of which there were many, and you could have hired one of them to kill the Aboard team. So you could have dispatched all of those assets and neutralized the assassination team and made them, you know, adjuncts to the Aboard team.
Speaker 1: But you don't see any of that. But Tash Plumley says he saw it from the other side.
Speaker 3: He almost tek me about that whole narrative, you know, it was it was the CIA, and it was the mob got together, came up with this great plan and then at the last minute, the CIA backs out. The mom says, to hell with it, We're still going to get him. But the aboort team, who knew was on the exascination team, in fact, one of them was part of it, and he backed out. Oh no, it's been called off. I'm not going to shoot. That's how files got pulled in. So knows a backup, right, you know, because this guy's not going to fire. They knew this for forty assassination. How did they know that the one guy was going to back out because it got called off?
Speaker 4: If he got called off.
Speaker 1: That morning right right now? The whole thing is the thing is job.
Speaker 2: You know, how many layers are ridiculous, And what really is interesting to me is his speech pattern and the way he relates things. And people have done voice stress analysis on this interview.
Speaker 1: It's hilarious.
Speaker 2: The guy, you know, and I know we've all met somebody like this, because if ever you spent any time in a bar, you can find somebody who is in that bar that no matter what you mentioned, they know the person, They know the situation, they know about it somehow, right, It doesn't matter what you mentioned.
Speaker 1: Hey, I was a boxer in nineteen sixty eight.
Speaker 2: But I was also part of the CIA, and I knew the mafia people, and I went to Cuba and I went to Mexico.
Speaker 1: And no matter what you bring up, they know somebody.
Speaker 2: They know some insider information because they're special and theyked well.
Speaker 1: See that's the thing. Judith has turned it into a serious art form.
Speaker 2: But we've all known people who seem to know everything, right, who just you know, you run into these people and they have a story for everything, you know what I'm saying. And Files is one of those guys that continuously builds upon.
Speaker 1: You know what it is. And I love his description of how he shot him.
Speaker 2: It doesn't match up to anything, but according to what he could have known at the time he went into prison, it makes a little bit of sense. But you know, things we learned after that, things we learned, you know, during that time period when he was locked up. It now no longer makes sense him shooting him in the temple with a you know, mercury bullet and exploding rounds and all this crazy stuff. Anyway, I'm gonna bring Jimmy James back on and we're probably gonna close this up. Nobody else has joined us, and like I said, no age of transmission transitions tonight. So let's close out our segment here by bringing Jimmy James back in and let him get off his chest. Whatever he wants or continuous interrogation. The time is yours, Jimmy, so.
Speaker 3: Go for it.
Speaker 5: My goodness, all I got was the I actually wanted to get into more of the Dixie mop if from where I was talking, and I just much want to get into that far per se.
Speaker 1: Oh Dixie Mapia.
Speaker 5: So I guess, yeah, yes, it would have led to that, And then that's the quest since regarding Thunderbolt grow and I wanted to get into some stuff there for some reasons.
Speaker 1: You know what's weird about the Dixie Mapia thing.
Speaker 2: Jimmy, let me ask you this about the Dixie Mapia thing, just to see where you're going.
Speaker 1: Maybe we can tie this all together.
Speaker 2: Actually, the Dixie Mafia has led to uh, you know the people's misunderstanding of this, okay, thinking that it works like the Italian mafia, thinking it works like a lot of other organized crime.
Speaker 1: It doesn't. It's a whole other animal.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 5: I understand how the it's Yeah, you do, but the majority of people don't.
Speaker 1: Well, let me just throw something in here, because well, let me just throw something in here and then let you run with it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Uh, you might understand it, but I'm telling you ninety percent of people who mention it or have encountered it have no clue what they're talking about. Oh but they were involved with the Dixie Mapia, you know, and they bring up Charles Harrison and all this crap.
Speaker 1: Look, you guys don't understand how this works.
Speaker 2: If you're thinking it behaves anything like the Italian mafia, it bears no resemblance outside of the name.
Speaker 1: Okay. Next problem is this has led to guys.
Speaker 2: Who were rodeo clowns, you know, claiming that they were part of the assassination deal. There's other guys that were, you know, sort of like Southern tough guys who were involved in certain underground illegal activities one way or another, illegal fight clubs and.
Speaker 1: Cock fights and all kinds of weird stuff.
Speaker 2: Minor criminal organizations that were on a local level that had connections to the Dixie mafia. Some people have tried to suck them into you know, gun running operations, because more than one person has claimed to be the man to go get the guns, including that guy from The Irishman right, you know, the guy who claims that he went and got guns guns, who was a good god, he was an Irish guy, you know, and Robert de Niro played him in the recent Netflix movie The Irishman Right. He claims that he was the guy who supplied the weapons for the Kennedy assassination. At a certain point, all of these people who are you know, part of the different let's just call him the random white people of allegedly organized crime, whether it's Dixie Mafia, the Irish thugs, or whatever non Italian organized crime. There is such a weird variety of guys who are supposedly mechanics, rodeo riders, tough guys, underground fistfight dudes that have claimed to be part of this all built off of this misunderstanding and misuse of the concept of the Dixie Mafia. And what's fascinating is indeed the Dixie Mafia is an interesting group of individuals who are still to this day mostly on known Okay, even though they had a sort of sophisticated communication network, and even though they did have, you know, not the same kind of organized crime again as Italians, they had an organized system by which bigger operations could be undertaken, but they didn't succeed at a lot of the higher profile assassinations. Now they did kill local politicians in certain cases, but even in cases where they were involved in, say, plots to try and kill Martin Luther King Jr. Or people like that, they always seemed to fail. And a lot of their failures came from the fact that there were con men that were building off of it, raising money, even going around saying, you know, you want to contribute to getting rid of these you know, black rabble rousers, and people would give them money. And some of those guys had connections to the Dixie Mafia, and some of them didn't.
Speaker 1: They were just conment. It is a weird.
Speaker 2: Nexus that comes together with this, and I've always found it fascinating when people just throw that term out there and think that's the mic drop moment.
Speaker 1: Well, he was part of the Dixie Mafia. End of story.
Speaker 2: That don't mean jack, especially because the majority of the time you can't even prove who.
Speaker 1: Was actually part of the network, and half.
Speaker 2: Of the people that have claimed to be part of it or have claimed to be part of certain operations that led to gun running that led to you.
Speaker 1: Know, we helped opinion on Oswald.
Speaker 2: You know, it wasn't the Italian mafia contacted Ruby, it was the Dixie Mafia.
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah, and on and on.
Speaker 2: A lot of it is just nonsense because people don't even understand the organization they're talking about and have no idea of the actual pool of people that's really available if you conclude that the Dixie Mafia was literally part of it. So I wanted to say all that, Jimmy, because I've always found this fascinating. Did people just throw that out there and then go and plus, here's the money oil men end the story, you know what I mean. Here's oil men, here's Dixie Mafia, and they're responsible.
Speaker 1: Just because it's wild.
Speaker 2: Anyways, Sorry, Jimmy, but you run with whatever you want and I'll let you and v Pete kind of close out the show.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Yeah, I want to go to overtime.
Speaker 1: Well, we're already on overtime.
Speaker 6: I'm talking to eleven.
Speaker 2: Well, We're already twenty two minutes after so if somebody else calls in or you take you guys take a long time, we'll be there.
Speaker 1: But uh, you know, let's go with the flow. Go ahead, man, what do you got in mind?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 5: Yeah? The only reason, Yeah, Truck is absolutely right. It's a miss snow them were really to call them a mob. Some people called them the corn bread mobs. Some people called them the the interstate moby.
Speaker 6: This, that the other thing. But like Chuck said, they worked.
Speaker 5: Almost like the CIA cells.
Speaker 6: They weren't connected.
Speaker 5: They were just mostly career criminals who once in a while could help each other out. Very no real organization. Uh. And of fact, the parts I'm interested in is.
Speaker 3: More.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think that they had.
Speaker 6: Uh a substantial part to do.
Speaker 5: With I don't think they had.
Speaker 6: I think a couple other.
Speaker 5: Guys were forced to cooperate with the JFK assassination conspiracy. But I don't think they were horse raining compacted. I think they were plotting to kill r f K and MLK. But I think that Sir hanshn uh got Kennedy before they could. But I think that they did get MLK. But actually, uh, the thing is is a lot of the cute some well they're some of the cute. A lot of the Cubans were the Cuban exiles, and some of them that were involved, most likely with the Kennedy Manner situation. Uh man, they just they really stuck together. Uh you know, they go Congo, and they go being, and they go crime and then in the eighties international drug crime.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: I'm curious, what did Stu Wexler. You mentioned that he was bringing that up, so he must be kind of looking into the same lines I am. I'm guessing.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean he's looked at a lot of interesting connections and uh, you know some of these again, these fundraiser people. That's been the most interesting part of Stew's work in my mind, is you know that there were con men going around raising money and there were other guys that were literally, you know, raising money that was supposed to pay for bounties.
Speaker 3: Was that Oh.
Speaker 1: So I hit some.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I see where it is interested in is the sixties more than the John Burt's Society right wing stuff.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 5: What what interests me about these characters is that they would go on to do the Zee murderers and things so as such. Quite frankly, I have questions, says, to some of these people's allegiances, let's just say, to the country, right, especially some of the crap they were born in the eighties.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well it's an odd mix.
Speaker 2: You know, it's an odd mix because there are people that, in my opinion, we're doing some rather unpatriotic things that really, if you ask them, they thought they were acting on behalf of the you know, greater.
Speaker 1: Good of the United States.
Speaker 2: In some cases, I mean, some of the most criminal elements thought that that's what they were doing, you know what I mean, in cutting side deals with you know, these organizations that the government couldn't get blamed for cutting side deals with and things, right. I mean, it's really a bizarre mix. It's very hard to untangle, Jimmy, So you know, good luck if you're going to try and untangle that. I've seen some interesting stuff, like you know, the work of say like Doug Valentine.
Speaker 1: On this is a hell of difficult to unravel. By go ahead.
Speaker 5: I love what John Fessor hand packed at once on his show he was quiff making out drug and a lags drug king in Miami who once said, hey, everyone's down here, says or Cia, So it must be a okay.
Speaker 1: There you go, and that.
Speaker 5: That was the kind of thing going on in the eighties. And there was just a lot of crap going.
Speaker 6: On in the eighties.
Speaker 5: I'm telling you this, this racer, Okay, he's an engineer. Then you got the thunderboat row.
Speaker 6: Guy who's cuban.
Speaker 4: What was his name?
Speaker 5: Ept if you're still with us, remember the speedboat. The guy invented cigarette boats.
Speaker 3: M hm, oh god.
Speaker 4: Lot, Reggie Fountain, I mean he perfected it.
Speaker 1: Let me see, invented cigarette boats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was in the seventies, eighties with the.
Speaker 4: Drug was his name, Donald Ronel.
Speaker 5: From New Jersey, wasn't he.
Speaker 4: The Brooklyn, New York Sey was born.
Speaker 5: Well, he lived in Jersey.
Speaker 7: It costs for you too, Okay, thank you, East New Jersey, West New York, Donald Aronet.
Speaker 4: But he was.
Speaker 3: He made several boats that from his designs.
Speaker 1: Sorry say that I missed what you said there be Pete.
Speaker 3: What was that he said? He was he's been. He designed, he came up with the original cigarette boat design and from that he's worked with several boat builders Donzie Fountain, all of these you know companies to go to him for design work. He was really influential in the in the boat racing. I mean the boat was designed to smuggle cigarettes from Keywa of Florida. You know, he wanted something that would go. Now, nobody could catch him.
Speaker 5: Cigarettes. He was smuggling drugs. It wasn't him. People were using his boats. Okay, So in the eighties what they were doing in the seventies, they would have these motherships and they would just drop out these barrels of drugs, mostly weed back.
Speaker 16: Then some coote and then the guys would go out, yeah, speedboats and they would pick them up and they would just whizz by, and there's about ninety nine percent of them would make them back somewhere.
Speaker 5: All over the place. They would pull in so big border patrol curtain and catch them. And they got to the point that they couldn't catch them because this guy was building speedboats, which if you ever watched Miami Vice, the boats do there that speedboat or cigarette boats just what you would think of were the front like way up in the air almost because it's going so fast. But now this kuy was and he was murdered. He was shot murdered. Also corn Bread mobs type stuff going on there. I just find this fascinating. There's just this complete line of these same people doing these shenanigans.
Speaker 2: Well, at a certain point, there was a standard operating procedure where somewhere off of the coast of Florida, and I'm not going to say where, there would be drop zones where these guys would drop off a whole bunch of well wrapped packages that were meant to float out there and be picked up by a variety of boats and then brought back into the country so that nobody, you know, a short trip off of the coast, you go pick stuff up. Whether you're going out there with a speedboat or you're going out there with a fishing boat, didn't matter.
Speaker 1: They were coming back with huge packages.
Speaker 2: In some cases, they were wrapped in these like industrial strength plastic bags and then something was lashed to it that kept it floating and also allowed you to spot it in the water, but not from too far away. If you knew where the general drop zone was, you could be there almost immediately after a whole bunch of these things were dumped together, and they would retrieve the majority of the packages.
Speaker 1: This way, bring them back in that way, they're not going through any you know, inspection. Nobody sees them come back in.
Speaker 2: It's just a boat going out either to fish or cruise or whatever, and then coming back a little while later. Nothing to see here, folks. Huge amounts ended up on these boats instead of fish, instead of you know, just sits whatever. That was done in the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 1: I know that for a fact. Uh you know.
Speaker 2: As for the cigarette boat though, and by the way, it does say all over the internet this guy was New York based.
Speaker 1: They called him a uh let's see uh Ara now is a New York based NASCAR New York based racer and.
Speaker 2: Businessman, they say, who built the first cigarette boat with a long, sleek call that he thought resembled a cigarette.
Speaker 5: Okay, uh No, he definitely relocated to do South Florida.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably with his dad.
Speaker 3: Well, they actually moved their shop. They were working up north in the New York area. He's from uh Or she said, Bay Brooklyn, and.
Speaker 2: They started, Yeah, he started his own company in nineteen nineteen seventy.
Speaker 3: The cigaret side has to move, so they went south and that's how they ended up in Florida. Started building stuff. They built off In fact, their first shot with built off Highway one because in his first boat he was using Merk cruisers. That was the time that Holman Moody still had Home and Moody Marine and they were doing racing engines for boats. That's how correct Craft came across using the Holman Mooty Marine engines. Holman Moody was a big Nascar nat.
Speaker 2: The life of speed demon boat builder Don Aaron Now was cut short in a hail of bullets. Wow, he had left the lasting impression on the people.
Speaker 1: Where's this article here? Let's see.
Speaker 2: Legendary cigarette. Okay, Bob they just made. Don't make him like Don Aaron Now anymore. There's a whole thing on this about how he died, and I'm trying to follow up on it. Okay, passed the darker side that even he could not run, and in the end he wound up with nothing more than a target for an assassin's bullet.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was in North Miami Beach when I got him in eighty seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see, I know the sleeping centers of mark I can retire. Looked like he was getting ready to retire, retire and go away. They show a boat called the cigarette one, which was apparently the one he built, the first one.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: He had a hilarious scheme going on Chuck where he was so beloved and as a builder, that he would sell his companies, knowing perfectly well that he could just go start a new one and everyone, all of the same customers are just going to go right to his news shop. And at that point he even had the EA as a customer because they needed boats to keep up with his other boats. So some dummy that was actually one of these drug dealers said hey, I'll buy out. He said, okay, and then he just went and started the other company in the DA and everyone went to him for their business. So that was one of the reason people hated him.
Speaker 2: So Donzie to Teleflex. Then he bought a parcel of Bland immediately west of them.
Speaker 3: Manum Donzie was a boat company that they started and when he sold it, he sold it to Teleflex, who was one of the biggest instruments manufacturers for boats.
Speaker 4: In fact, when I bought when.
Speaker 3: I redid the correct craft, I had Teleflex instruments in the dash.
Speaker 1: Yeah I'm just skimming through. That's all correct, but it's very interesting. He's got a hell of an interesting history that does end rather abruptly.
Speaker 3: As they said in the article there, I didn't know that the movie Speed Kills with John Travolta it was based on this guy's story.
Speaker 1: Ah, here we go. You know why New Jersey comes up? Here we go? He was a kid from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: By age twenty one, Aaron now found himself married and about to start a career in his father in law's New Jersey construction company. His father in law had a construction company over there. Well, Okay, Brown, Shirley, Shirley Brown was his first wife. Her father was extremely wealthy, and Don once told me he was going to take Shirley to California if the.
Speaker 1: Old man didn't cut him into the business. Let's see.
Speaker 2: Working with the family for a few years, then he went off started building homes and shopping centers, industrial parks all over northern New Jersey, and he eventually became Yeah, so he did construction in northern New Jersey.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough. Yeah, that's yeah, that's the New Jersey connection. I just wanted to find out about that.
Speaker 4: But there it is, Slay, everything's connected to Jersey.
Speaker 3: Somewhat somehow.
Speaker 2: If it's bizarre or extremely dark or just crazy, you'll find a new Jersey connection. It's just the way of the world anyway. Guys, it looks like nobody else is going to join us on the conversation tonight.
Speaker 1: So you know, I'm about three. What time is it?
Speaker 2: Let's see, Hey, it's about twenty to eleven, So we've gone some extra time here tonight.
Speaker 1: And I want to give you know, first.
Speaker 2: Jimmy James a chance to speak his peace, give shout outs or whatever he wants, and then be Pete and then we're done. So Jimmy, how would you like to conclude your thoughts through the evening here on this Friday night?
Speaker 6: Why hope good nuts week? I call in get people want followers and listeners. I hope everyone will be the league because the election will be over. I hope they will be believable, and I believe everyone will hopefully just settle the hell.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and.
Speaker 5: The Lions are gonna go deep the crap out of the factors the way we've been destroying every team in our way.
Speaker 6: Here you go, very proud of it.
Speaker 3: I'm part of that, check you're part of it.
Speaker 6: Let's me down there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's me down there and the truth nice. That's yeah.
Speaker 1: Well look, I'm happy for you.
Speaker 2: I'm happy for whoever's winning out there, and I'll be real happy if the selection concludes and you know what, we get calm finally, shut the hell up, no more as it's no more debating over this and whatever the outcome is, accept it. Shut up, move on, please please. I know I'm not going to get my wish, but that's all I want is just shut up and move on, you know what. And I still stand by my prediction.
Speaker 1: Trump is going to.
Speaker 2: Win, but it's going to be close. So who's going to contest Who's going to cause the problem? We'll get to see right then and there, Jimmy, I thank you for calling in. And also you're the executive producer for tonight's show, so we'll put Jimmy on hold and Bepete your final word for this week.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm just I gotta make it through Tuesday. If I make it through Tuesday, I'll be all right.
Speaker 3: But I'm at the point right now I'm just ready to start fighting people over this whole time.
Speaker 4: This has been the worst political season. I think I've ever seen in all my years.
Speaker 3: I just hope the next one's better. Two years, we're gonna be going through this again in the mid terms.
Speaker 1: You think we're gonna he won't be the same intensity. Do you think now it won't be.
Speaker 3: The same intensity. It will depend on It's going to depend on if the House and the Senate change in this election. Uh. You know now they're predicting that it's possible that it could be a GOP sweep of everything. And then Trump is going to have everybody in place for him to do what he wants, and we're gonna see what gets done. And we're going to see if things get shift, budgets change, and the waste goes away. Although this isn't an interesting thing I thought about today, if Trump wins and follows through by putting Elon Musk in charge of government waste and things like that, I would make this suggestion that his first move ought to be to go to ram Paul and go, hey, he always wanted to audit the FED now as I would love to see that happen. Well. Of anything that comes out of this, that could be the best result to me.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what, if he does that if he actually does that and then you know, follows through on the other things. I think tomorrow they're going to have a discussion on a live podcast somewhere. Is Trump going to follow through on releasing the JFK files. I'll tell you what, if he actually does the right thing with the JFK files and turns around and has an audit of the FED, and I mean a real one, I'll change my position on Trump.
Speaker 1: Entirely and tell you that.
Speaker 3: I think it's possible it could happen. Now.
Speaker 4: I mean, how long has Ran Paul been calling for.
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 2: Depends on how you want to look at it. Yeah, because his father called for.
Speaker 1: It for a long time.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, So you know this might be if it's a perfect storm and everything falls into place. They've got the Senate, they've got the Congress, they can get something passed. They could get some legislation in there. You might see the FED being audited out of all this. Unless somebody is holding a note that could affect Trump in his businesses.
Speaker 4: Well that would be the only way they could keep.
Speaker 13: It from happening.
Speaker 4: But now on the JFK files, the minute.
Speaker 3: If Trump wins this thing, his supporters need to start making that demand and hold his feet to the fire.
Speaker 4: Said you said you were going to do it the first time, you just do you backed out on it?
Speaker 3: Now do it? Put up or shut up. And it could really make for a long four years from him and if he doesn't do it, But there's a chance for a huge change in things depending on how the house goes so in two years, you know, usually the following midterm, after an incumbent comes in, things swapped whatever he had in control of when he came in and had swaps to the other party. We see it happen a lot in the midterms, and it's usually right after the guy comes in. So I don't know, we'll see. This is going to be very interesting and hopefully we'll learn something within the week after Tuesday's if he's got to pick enough lead. And based on Napoland, so many people had indicated that it could happen that he wins by enough of a margin that we're not sitting here dicking around until December to figure out who actually won. Well, I could be solid enough that we know the answer by the end of the week.
Speaker 1: Well, the way I see it is, I doubt he's going to no matter what his supporters.
Speaker 2: Say, no matter what anybody tries to hold his speak to the fire, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: If he gets in there, I doubt we're going to see any of these things actually happen.
Speaker 2: I think it'll just be the agenda that he I think he's got an agenda in mind, and it's got nothing to do with, you know, the games that we played here with the public displays. I think, just like any other politician, he's gonna, you know, be full of crap when it comes to a lot of his promises, just like everybody else. This is normal, and then we're going to go to the abnormal where Trump is going to do stuff that is not normal. And I just hope that we do actually benefit from it.
Speaker 4: But I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think the pressure is going to be put on him to release the JFKA files.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it should have been on him already, but they don't pressure him. His supporters don't follow through on the pressure.
Speaker 1: So it is what it is. And I think we're going to get what we're going to get, and I just hope.
Speaker 2: That we can get to the mid terms without you know, the country imploding on itself. But you know what, audit the FED release the JFK files. I will have a completely different attitude about this guy.
Speaker 1: I really will.
Speaker 2: That's why I doubt it's going to happen at all. But I guess we'll all have to stay tuned and hope that all hell doesn't break loose. You know, on the overnight too.
Speaker 3: He's got Tulsi on his team now. Who never knows, she might be able to talk him into it. I think that's one of the greatest things come out of this whole thing. This year's Toulsy Gavin finally became a Republican.
Speaker 1: I think it was just.
Speaker 3: Amount of time.
Speaker 1: Do you just have the hots for Tulsi? Is that what you need to tell us is that where it's at?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I said that from day one.
Speaker 3: You got to see that girl in the damn bikini. Excuse me, woman, you know, let's give her some respects. He is an officer in the National Guard. Wow, Cort has served well.
Speaker 4: But you know, you got to admit hell a lot better looking at Hillary.
Speaker 1: Well that's a low bar, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But which would you rather look at for the next four years? Jillry in the background running her mouth or someone that votes for Gavin. See, when I told you, I told you i'd vote for her, you didn't. You didn't think. I don't think you.
Speaker 4: Thought I was serious.
Speaker 3: But when I thought she's a Democrat, I could vote for she's enough to the center. She served in the military, she's not an airhead. She definitely knows her business. And I was serious about it when I said i'd vote for it. And I think you didn't think I was all game. And all it took was one year. No, I believe it came around.
Speaker 2: Listen, I believe you could vote for her, though I did believe that. You know why, because I didn't believe her being a Democrat. I didn't believe her being I knew where she stood. She belongs on the GOP side. She always did, no matter how she tried to pump things out in the public, she belonged on the GOP side. That was the problem in my mind. It's like you're trying to pretend that you belong with these, with the you know, with with with the Democrats.
Speaker 1: You don't. So No, I believe she could have.
Speaker 9: Stayed a Democrat. I think she's like RFK. I think she could have stayed a Democrat. The party had gone away from her. Yeah, but that is because one of these people I think that really believed in it. When she was in office, she was a Democrat, but she was more of a centrist.
Speaker 3: Than anything else. It's like I said, you know, a couple of weeks ago, the majority of the countries in the middle, they're not only on those extreme rights, they're not only extreme left. They're pretty much middle of the road. Yeah, but just encompassed a lot of that.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: We thought, you know, you kicked the wrong party, lady, and now she's buying me seeing the life anything, I am pleased regardless of how this what the outcome of this election is, Chelsey Gabbert is finally a republic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fine, because that's where she belongs.
Speaker 2: RFK doesn't belong with the Democratic Party either, That's why they've rejected him. Whether they are the nut the nut jobs and the same Democrats all reject RFK Junior because.
Speaker 1: He doesn't belong there.
Speaker 2: And I actually like a lot of what RFK Junior's positions are, but he doesn't belong with the Democrats either. So totally not surprised that both of those people are now on the Trump train. That's right, Willhelm. Anyways, guess what we're all done this week? And I want you to remember that I am really O'Kelly. All of you are indeed the effect. Hit the donate button and help me keep things going. We're going to be going to Dallas in less than three weeks from now, so you know, join me Virtuallyassassination Conference dot com and use the code O'Kelly ten to get ten percent off whether you're going to attend it virtually or in person.
Speaker 1: I will be the MC in person and it's going to be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Anyway, We're done with the broadcast week and I hope to do some serious damage next week with the guests I've got.
Speaker 1: Lined up and the plans.
Speaker 2: Larry Hancock will return and we might have a slightly controversial show with the guy that Jimmy James calls Professor Hancock. Thanks to Jimmy for calling in and also being the executive producer of tonight's show. Jimmy James, and to all of you, thank you for being the effect, because I am merely o'celly, and all of you are the effect.