Speaker 1: Welcome friends. It's podcasts. Podcast is Dome Sho Jackie and Bryan.
Speaker 2: They're talking brubys Moming now back.
Speaker 1: Adam and Barbara are ghosts. What's the good of being a ghost if you can't fight people away? So they're calling on Beetlejuice. Beetle Beetle just gets show down. He's guaranteed to put some life.
Speaker 2: Attention Cared Shoppers.
Speaker 1: In your afterlife. Michael Keaton is Beetlejuice and the Ghost with Ghost Bade. Welcome to a movie film commentary track. My name is Zachie Hasn I'm here with Brian Hall. Hey. How's it going, Zachi. Hey, I'm really excited to talk through today's selection. Me too, Me too? This is We don't cover Tim Burton a ton on here. I mean, you know, the Batman films and everything, but uh yeah, this is like such a unique movie, such a classic, and I feel like we don't wander this corner very often. So I'm like super even just you and I like, we don't talk about Beetlejuice in these older Tim Burton films much. So I'm really excited to dig into this with you. It is.
Speaker 2: It's one of those films that has just always kind of been there, like in the background of I don't know, our film dumb. You know, it's we mutually acknowledge, we enjoy it.
Speaker 1: And yeah, that's it. Yeah, It's just one of those things, like it's a good way of putting it. Honestly, it just kind of feels like it's always been there. Yeah, you know. So it's kind of fun now with the sequel coming out to I don't know, like queue this one up and really give it an examination again, rather than just be something that you know, you're flipping channels and you're like, oh, hey, yeah, I like this part, and you stay on it, you know what I mean. Watching it top to bottom again was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: It's a fun one to revisit, and certainly I had I mean, I've seen it handful of times over the last few decades, but I was so appreciative of just the sort of the tactile nature of everything we were seeing and appreciating the craft of how they pulled some of this stuff off.
Speaker 1: That and just seeing i mean, like filmmakers, you know, Danny Elfman, Tim Burton, the actors, like just making something wholly unique that is so specific to them. It's just a really all these years later, it's still an exciting thing to see. You know.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm excited to dive in and watch nineteen eighty eight's Beetlejuice. I'm assuming that those of you listening have some degree of interest, and hey, if you want to queue it up and watch along with us, we can give you a chance to do that while we take a.
Speaker 1: Short break and we're back and queue up.
Speaker 2: I'm ready, Brian, Are you ready?
Speaker 1: I'm ready? All right, we are watching Beetle Juice. There's only one cut.
Speaker 2: It's the nineteen eighty eight theatrical release, and we were gonna hit play on three. I'm not gonna say three times because because that could cause some trouble, but we will do the usual things at one, two three play, and here we go one two three play.
Speaker 1: H the Geffen logo. Here, let's going old school. Yeah, yeah, it makes me think of like my old Nirvana city or something. He'd eventually team up with Spielberg and Katzenburg.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for they their their failed attempt to rival the big studios.
Speaker 1: Yeah, DreamWorks SKG.
Speaker 2: We're like broken dream as.
Speaker 1: The boy fell out of the Moon.
Speaker 2: Dream doesn't work works, that's the lesson. Well, first off, right up top, how great is Danny Elfman's music here?
Speaker 1: He is just on fire like. That's the thing too. He came out of the gate as a film composer on fire like.
Speaker 2: I mean, right, this score in particular is the most Danny Elfman score that Danny Elfman ever, Danny Elfman.
Speaker 1: It is because even Batman, which is so Elfman is adhering to a gothic sort of tone and the superhero triumphant sort of nature of the story and character and whatever. But this is him like unleashed, you know, like his sort of gothic, scary circus sounding thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, just to put this in perspective, I watched this movie a few weeks ago, excuse me, a few days ago in prep for this with my thirteen year old, and literally the music starts and he goes, Danny Elfman.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: By the way, worth mentioning this music is itself so interesting because because when Elfman got the script initially he sort of had a different idea in his mind. He thought it was gonna be a little grimmer, and so he started writing the music and then he starts seeing the rushes and he's like, oh, oh oops, I didn't write music for that, and so he kinda he kind of elfmanded it up. And it's really interesting because because the movie itself, I mean what, it's like a good half hour plus before we even see Beatle Juice, right mm hmmm. And and it's fair like the tone doesn't really kick in until Keaton shows up, and so very smartly, this music right up top clues the audience and oh, this is this is a this is a lark, this movie it's a yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, I just put you know. I mean, he of course, you know, headed up Oengle Boinco in the eighties and then he's his first film score was Pee's Big Adventure, which is incredible. But I just I'm amazed that in a different sort of style of music composition like film scores, he came out right out of the gate seemingly fully formed, like knowing what he sounded like with an orchestra, and it was so uniquely him. You know that your son can hear it and go, oh, Danny Elfman, you know.
Speaker 2: Isn't that extraordinary? I mean, especially at that moment when he emerged I mean he was doing something wholly unique.
Speaker 1: Totally yeah, totally love it, love it. This is a yeah, fantastic score. And then had you heard that story too, where I guess Lionel Newman was hired to conduct the score really when they were recording it, but on the first day he kept making changes to the score because I think some of the weird time signatures and why would you put a note there that's weird, you know kind of stuff. You know. He was trying to clean it up or whatever, make it sound a little bit more I don't know, mainstream or something, And so eventually he was let go and he was replaced. Wow, I had not heard that. Yeah, doesn't this just feel like a different Alec Baldwin.
Speaker 2: I was about to say this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there is like a pre I don't know what the year is because this is to me hunt for ad October Alec Baldwin also, sure, sure, But then there's like a certain moment where he kind of switched into a different Alec Baldon, a different build, a different face, different.
Speaker 2: I mean, by the time we got to the Shadow, he was like proto Jack Donneghee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. Yeah. So yeah, this is this.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is eighty eight, so just a couple of years before.
Speaker 1: Before Hunt for Ad October.
Speaker 2: But this is for sure the first time I saw Alec Baldin and and I definitely remember seeing him later and not realizing he was the guy from Beetlejeos.
Speaker 1: That makes total sense. Yeah, and apparently he wasn't very high on this movie. Baldwin wasn't very high on this movie for a while, and he felt like he didn't do it right, like he didn't perform in a way that he thought was very good, or he was saying when he was making the movie he didn't quite understand it. And then watching it later it was like, oh, which is kind of interesting actually to your what you just said about Danny Elfman. I mean it's I mean, now we watch him, we're like, oh, yeah, Burton, you know what I mean. But like they did not have that benefit then to know, and that's what's so interesting watching this. Sorry I hope I didn't cut off, but like all I think, watching this, it made me really appreciate that Burton when he's doing full Burton, which he hasn't done in a long time. He's very dark, but he doesn't cross a line like you're still sort of a campiness to his dark you know, he's not like Grizzly right, like he he goes there a little bit with the scary faces, that her ripping her face off and stuff, but it still feels almost like fun, campy, spooky carnival hunted house. I agree with that.
Speaker 2: I agree with that, which makes him, by the way, interesting. I wanted to mention real quick. I like the subtle touch of the fact that they're listening to Harry Belevante, yes, and that just like so it doesn't come out of nowhere. When we get a couple of Harry Belafonte musical numbers later, it's like, oh, they're just fans of his.
Speaker 1: There's a lot more seeding in this movie than I realized when we watched this closely recently, maybe with the Dog for example, you know here in the yeah yeah, which is kind of funny too. I mean, I know that's Calypso music, but it made me think of like mambo music kind of where I remember in The Simpsons and Season one, Homer and Marge were into mambo music, and it seemed like for a certain generation that was thought of as like dorky parents stuff. And this is like right around when The Simpsons debuted, So I wondered if that was like a part of that. You know. It's like, oh, yeah, they're kind of like these dorky adults. They like this kind of music. That's funny. This is such a funny joke, this barber yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was an alternate ending where the barber is in the waiting room next to Beetlejuice.
Speaker 1: Oh really yeah.
Speaker 2: And so Beetlejuice is having to listen to the barber stories in the in the afterlife.
Speaker 1: Wait, so that was something that was cut. Yes, Oh that's funny.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's too sad, Yeah, I think so, that's probably yeah, but I really that's a funny joke.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So as written originally, so so the the initial this is you know, you think this is something that originated in Tim Burton's brain, right, Like that's the funniest thing to me is that he was like a hired gun basically, you know, and yet it's so inextricably tied to his specific visual signature. But as written it was much darker, and specifically this sequence here, uh, this is in the the the McDonald draft excuse me, Mike McDowell. Sorry, Like the way in which the maitlands die. You see it, and you see Barbara's arm gets crushed, and it's like really kind of kind of horrific, right, And there's an allusion to it, like like when they when they come back to house, she's like, oh, you know, my arm feels cold or something like that. But it's interesting the choices that were made, that's my point, right, Like this is the script lands on Burton's desk. Burton just did Pee Wee's Big Adventure and he's getting a bunch of scripts like that.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: I read that one of the scripts he got was a movie called.
Speaker 1: Hot to Trot. Yeah, I heard that.
Speaker 2: It's like the the Bobcat Gold Plate and a Talking Horse, which did end up getting made, by the way. Yeah yeah, But he at the time, so he was in the mix for Batman already.
Speaker 1: So it wasn't like this movie.
Speaker 2: Got him the Batman gig. It was he was already in the mix for Batman. But while Warner Brothers was dithering, he was like, well, I'm just going to do this. And because people you know, like, oh oh he wanted Keaton because he just worked with him on on Beetle Juice. It wasn't exactly like that. It was more intertwined than we'd think.
Speaker 1: Hmm. I think this helped.
Speaker 2: I mean this basically got you know, gave him probably some a boost of confidence by the studio. But I mean this is eighty eight. Batman was eighty nine, so Batman would have already been in the midst of production or a pre production man or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, he's he's interesting. I mean, just to go back a little bit up to what you were talking about it, I mean, he began as a Disney animator, you know, worked on Fox and the Hound, and used his time at Disney to leverage making some short films. Right, So he made a movie called Vincent about a boy fantasizing that he's Vincent Price, which is hilariously on Brand's right, right, And he did this was fascinating. He did a Hansel and Gretel thirty minute I don't know what you'd call it, short film. I guess that aired only once on Disney Channel at ten thirty PM in nineteen eighty three on Halloween. And it only aired once because so many people apparently complained about it. I think it was too weird and scary, and it ends with Hansel and Gretel and the Witch having a kung fu fight, and I think it like recently was I don't know, discovered or you know, digitized or something, and so now you can look it up. But it's but he then went on to make franken Weenie, and apparently something I read was that that eventually got him fired because he was using Disney funds to make these dark little films that they couldn't do anything with. And Paul Rubins wants to make his Peewee movie, is looking for directors, and Warner Brothers likes this Tim Burton guy, but doesn't know what to do with him because Burton doesn't want to make any of the movies they want to give him. Rubens can't find any filmmakers. We'll understand, pee wee. He watches franken Weenie and goes, that's my guy, and then there you go. I mean, you get Paul Rubens, you get Tim Burton, you get Danny Elfman, and boom.
Speaker 2: It's extraordinary, isn't it. I mean it's it's it's amazing, Like we look at we look at Tim Burton now as inevitable.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: You know, if Tim Burton didn't exist, we would have had to invent him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sure.
Speaker 2: And and yet there was this this path comprised of just lucky breaks that led to his career, you know, m h And I mean, just to just to circle the square on the point you're making about Disney, I think it's the fact that he came back and he did well, most recently Dumbo for Disney, and he's like, I'm not working for Disney ever again, you know, And I'm like, yeah, you know, this is where you were headed anyway.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, yeah, But I don't know. It's funny you say that that he feels inevitable because he does in our world, ye right, but he don't. You just think this guy who at Disney, They're like, what are we gonna do with this guy? Like, you know, he's just doing all this stuff. It's so not our brand. And and but he persisted with his vision, and his vision has now become somewhat of a genre to us, you know, all these years later, and I just admire that so much. Where people didn't shave their edges, you know, they stuck to their guns and their visions. And like and like you said, now it just feels inevitable.
Speaker 2: I mean think about it, right, like and obviously summer of eighty nine, because it was summer of eighty nine, but but in summer of eighty nine, for you and me and most people like us, Tim Burton was a name we knew. And how many directors did we know by name at that age?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, you know, I mean he was. He was a household name. And the truth of it is, thirty plus years later, nearly forty years later, he remains a household name as insofar as directors are concerned. You know, maybe he isn't flying quite as high as he was at his peak, but he's still Tim effing Burton.
Speaker 1: And he's one of those people that you can make your internet video and go, what if you know Rocky but made by Wes Anderson and they had you know, there's all these super specific visual signatures that you're like, of course that's Wes Anderson. And he's one of those guys too, what if you know this Tim Burton? And then it's like he just has you know, It's it happens inevitably after a certain amount of time where you get familiar with the person's vocabulary, but like you almost take for granted that it's like, well, the those are really kind of that's pretty awesome. Yeah, there's someone who has that much of a signature style like that. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, Yeah, kats Nahara, she's so good. She's just amazing, period.
Speaker 2: And she I mean, between this and Home alone, she has a place of reverence for people of our generation. I feel like, you know, absolutely yep.
Speaker 1: Well, and then she continues, isn't it amazing? I mean with Shit's Creek most recently, Yeah, you know, it's just so cool. And then of course the Christopher guest films in there and dozens.
Speaker 2: She looks so young here, by the way, my goodness.
Speaker 1: I know, I think I looked it up. She's like thirty three or four here. Wow, Yeah, it's crazy. Why not a rioder fifteen years old? Here she's fifteen.
Speaker 2: Yep, my goodness, I would not have believed she was fifteen.
Speaker 1: She's one of those people too. It's so funny, like I wasn't gonna stick this in time, but I have COVID at the moment while we were recording, and so my wife and I were gonna rewatch this together, but I had to be in one room. She was in another room, and I was like, man, I not a writer. She's just like so singular and even like she's so perfect for this role. And it's funny because from the other room I was thinking that the other room, Frederica, my wife, was like, why not a writer. It's like you just sometimes you discover these people and they're just a personality of their own, you know, and it's just they're perfect for a role, and then you're just they're just destined to be.
Speaker 2: Well, especially when you look at the list of people who audition to play Lydia. You got Sarah Jessica Parker Brookshields, Lori Laughlin, Diane Lane, Justine Bateman, Molly Ringwalld, Juliette Lewis, Jennifer Connelly, and Alyssa Milano. Wow, that is casting a very wide nt.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a good point.
Speaker 2: You know, they landed on the right person. It's the the I don't know if you ever watched the Saturday Morning Animated show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, definitely that.
Speaker 2: I saw that first before I saw the movie.
Speaker 1: I don't remember, if I'm being.
Speaker 2: Honest, Yeah, I for sure, because because the show was like eighty nine to ninety one, ninety something like that. And I definitely because I I became familiar with Beetlejuice post facto with regards to Batman. It's like, oh, the guy who did Batman also did a movie called Beetle Juice, which also starred Michael Keaton. That was in my frame of reference. Then I saw the cartoon and in the cartoon show which is I gotta say, it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I memory. Yeah, it's a lot of fun. You know.
Speaker 2: It's it's Lydy hanging out with her crazy buddy Beetlejuice MM, which is very much not the movie. Yeah, oh that's so interesting. I mean it makes sense. She goes off and has wacky adventures. He's like, you know, the real world is boring. Beetle Juice, beetle Juice, Beetlejuice, and then she goes and has a crazy.
Speaker 1: You know that's funny, you know, you know, yeah, I mean he's such like a perv in this movie. It's like you almost forget. Wait, I have to point this out where she takes her face off here Geena Davis nice that I will never forget. I think the first time I ever saw this movie was when it aired on television, okay, and it was exciting because it's like, yeah, kids talked about this movie. I knew it was like a thing and I wanted to see it. And so I'm watching it on like CBS, you know, which is like edited for television, it's all safe and whatever, and that was shown exactly as is, and I was like, ah, as like an eight year old or something like that. Nine year old. I'll never forget that.
Speaker 2: That's so funny.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 2: I remember watching this movie on cable, and again I came at it having watched the cartoon first, and I was like, hey, Lydia, she's in the cartoon. I know her, you know. And then and then Beetlejuice is like, hey, I want to I want.
Speaker 1: To marry the girl, you know. I was like, oh my god, yes, yes, yeah. But that's kind of what they did in the eighties, right, like they would make Rambo cartoons and shave off the edges of all these like harder edged characters get appropriate. How many people were I mean, I don't remember. The animated show was the family in it?
Speaker 2: The family, wasn't it? The Maitlands were not Okay, I see, Yeah, but but Delia and Charles are in it, and.
Speaker 1: I mean the show.
Speaker 2: I give it credit because Burton was involved, you know, maybe in just a cursory way, but it certainly preserves his sort of Bonker's aesthetic. Yeah, if I recall, the biggest change I remember is that the Afterlife. Instead of calling it the Afterlife, they call it the neither World.
Speaker 1: Oh that's funny, which.
Speaker 2: Kind of makes sense, I guess because they don't want kids thinking about death while they're watching, while they're having their their fruit loops or whatever, you.
Speaker 1: Know, right, neither this world or that world, I guess. Yeah, there was.
Speaker 2: There was also a line of Kenner action figures which was based on the movie, So.
Speaker 1: I kind of remember those da I.
Speaker 2: Remember, so you had a whole bunch of different beetle juices which were all they look like eaton. You had to adam Maitland figure with like a removable head and stuff, you know, so.
Speaker 1: Weird, a dorky Dad action figure.
Speaker 2: I know that funny. He had like a swappable head that looked like that weird.
Speaker 1: Beak thing that he does, you know. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 2: I don't know how well those toys sold. But I do that was back when Kenner was just turning everything into a toy line.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah, I love all this stuff too. By the way, the awkward like I don't know what you'd call, like dummy, puppet whatever, headless. So it's great, it's just so it's I mean, what I fun, it's like this perfect sallece. Yeah. Well that's the thing.
Speaker 2: I think it goes to what you were saying before, where there's still something weirdly sweet about Tim Burton's sensibilities even though it's you know, dips into gore and whatnot. You know, it's you know, I mean, when you think about it, this is on the same spectrum that includes movies like Ghostbusters and The Frighteners. It it's doing something different, but it's part of that continuum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, no, that's a those are good. Yeah, I still love how I wonder if this was always in the script too, or if it's a burtany thing like this. It's so weird that if they try to leave the house, like they're condemned to be stuck in the house, and if they don't, they end up on like one of the moons of Saturn, you know, with like sandworms and they're on a racus that's there. Yeah, and then obvious see this is the thing too that I really admire. And sometimes when I watch Family Guy or something like that, and they'll do a joke that, you know, only two hundred people understand, you know what I mean out of millions, I'm like, how does he get allowed to do that? Now? Of course, because it's so hugely popular, But you look at this and you're making a big studio movie for Warner Brothers, and first of all, you get to have sand worms on some moon on Saturn. But then they look like these really awkward handmade you know, stop motion puppets that look like a child drew them. Yeah, and then you know, Warner Brothers not saying we need to clean that up, we need to make it like a little more polished and cool, something a kid would want to play with. I mean, it looks literally like a Tim Burton drawing, because it probably literally is. But I just it's so cool that he got to do his thing and then his thing became a thing. You know.
Speaker 2: Well that's yeah, so you just nailed it right there. That's the beauty of it. Because this movie wasn't made with the multimedia franchise in mind. I mean, who could possibly imagine this is becoming a multimedia franchise.
Speaker 1: That's a good point, you know what, Yeah, that's a good point they must have thought. I mean, I saw it cost fifteen million to make, and so they're like, okay, cool, Like we get to make this funky little thing that maybe becomes some sort of makes its money back and become some sort of cult hit or something, you know, or you know what I mean, like thing down the line for us that people revisit on Halloween, right, but they didn't realize they were launching a brand that's exactly it. Yeah, you know what else I love? I mean, what a concept, What a concept. I know, it's almost infuriating people don't get an antiquated way of thinking. Sorry you were saying. No. I also wanted to point out just that crazy shot of the house there, that it just looks so surreal but real at the same time. I think I've brought this up before, but I don't think Tim Burton gets enough credit. You know, everyone is like, oh, his style, his spirals, his you know, those sorts of drawings come to life. Right, But his framing is so great, Like he doesn't move the camera a lot compared to other directors, but he has really evocative framing and use of lenses and of course everything that's going on within the frame that just conveys so much without a whole ton of movement. And I notice it in all his films and I freaking love it. Such a great point. I mean even just like look at that, like the low angle and some sort of weird lens that makes that look slightly surreal. Yeah, setting up that part of the house, this reminded me of something from another movie that I cannot place. The thing coming through the window unexpectedly like a piece. Yeah, that does seem like something. Oh, I know what I'm thinking of Christmas vacation when they're yes sitting at dinner and they're talking about, oh, should we have gotten a tree? And then the tree just right through the window.
Speaker 2: So in the in the original draft as written, there were two daughters, so there was there was Lydia, and then there's a younger daughter who's who's like eight or nine, and and the younger daughter is the one who can see the maitland's interesting and as they're making the drafts, and this is just like the normal process where it's like, well, why do we need two characters?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: You know, like we can, we can, we can compress this, you know, that's fat.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's like it makes me think of Fair's Bueller's Day Off, where they literally shot the movie. There was two more siblings, so there were four Bueler siblings versus the two and I had no idea. Yeah, and if you watched the trailer, the original trailer, they're in it funny. This woman feels like a very Burtany character, or I should say it reminds me of in Edward Scissorhands, sort of the you know, the neighbors who go around and sort of I don't know, I keep thinking of like a ned Flanders word like Biddy's.
Speaker 2: Old biddy and Landers is an old biddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't even know if I'm using that correctly, but I mean, like famously, you know, Tim Burton grew up in Burbank and found that completely nice, normal suburb horrifying in a shape who he became here we go? I mean, I guess somewhat famously. Beetlejuice, the character is only in this movie I've seen two different times, but I've seen fourteen and a half minutes and I've seen seventeen minutes.
Speaker 2: But yeah, right around fifteen ish, as it sounds right, yep, but certainly he he he imbuse every frame with his presence, which is, you know, the ultimate measure of Michael Eaton's success in the film.
Speaker 1: Yep, they originally.
Speaker 2: Wanted Sammy Davis Junior, Tim Burton did we feared for Beetlejuice.
Speaker 1: I can kind of picture it, you know what I mean. It's so bonkers. Yeah, put like some like you know, like a moldy old suit on him and some cobwebs and him being like, hey man, you know, like I don't know, like I can I can see what Tim Burton was seeing. Yeah, obviously I like what we ended up with. But I mean, Keaton.
Speaker 2: Was suggested to Burton, but he turned it down initially, and he said it was partly because because Burton is so kind of like in his own head that Keaton couldn't, like see, he couldn't catch the rhythm of what he was saying. Sure, but eventually he came around to it, and you realize, like, what a fruitful partnership this has been Oh yeah, for the two of them. You know, obviously decades later they're still working together. But like that, that itself is interesting where you think about like these. I have to imagine that Michael Keaton is grateful for the mark that Tim Burton left on his career and but for him taking a chance on Beetlejuice it happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, you know, put more tools in his belt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I said this in a different commentary. But you know when when Keaton when he did Batman Re Turns and he was talking about the film and they said to him, oh, you know, would you come back and do a third one? And he said, if Tim is doing it, I'll do it, you know. And that shows how I mean, you know when it comes to Batman. I mean, they backed up the Brinks truck and he said, no, mm hmm. It's amazing when you think about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is. But it's interesting too. I read a story with Alec Baldwin, I guess where he went up to Tim Burton seeking some advice or direction, and he said that Burton was drawing and wouldn't even look up to talk to him. He was so in his head. You know, doing whatever he was doing. And it's funny because with someone like that, you can imagine, obviously it'd be difficult to communicate with that person and what you were saying earlier. You know, when you're Michael Keaton and you're reading the script and you need this thing brought to life in your mind, he might not be the best person to do that. But then when he is able, he's given the chance to make the thing and present the thing, this suddenly becomes a calling card where you're like, oh, that's what this guy's doing. Yeah, you know, he's lucky enough that he got to make his calling card, right.
Speaker 2: I mean it certainly pee Wee was not yet that calling card type movie, you.
Speaker 1: Know, right right, Yeah, I mean it's it's certainly specific.
Speaker 2: It has his sensibilities, but it's it's you know, I mean, it's he's not it's just yeah, right, I mean it's his first movie out the shoot, so obviously he's gonna be a little bit restrained. Like I think this is me personally. I think by the time you get to Edward Scissorhands, this is like Tim Burton in his purest form.
Speaker 1: I agree, Yes, unprocessed Burton you know, yes, totally, you know, yeah, I mean, should we talk about Jeffrey Jones. I guess we need to write I mean, we don't have to get two into it, but I guess we should say the disgrace Jeffrey Jones, you know, found uh guilty of some heinous uh sexual things. Yeah, and uh has not been working since and uh not in the sequel, not in the sequel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he he had a quite lengthy career, ah, you know, through throughout the eighties and nineties, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I'd forgotten he was an Amadeis.
Speaker 2: He's an Amadas. I was going to bring that up exactly.
Speaker 1: Probably most famously the principal and Faris Bueller's Day Off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he did, you know, voiceover work. He was in a movie called Ravenous about Cannibal's Yeah, with Guy Pearce and and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, uh yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's apparently the what ended up surfacing with regards to Jeffrey Jones started with an investigation of.
Speaker 1: Paul Rubins mm hm, oh wow.
Speaker 2: And it ended up pointing towards Jeffrey Jones.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So that I found that kind of interesting you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, weird. It's away was weird. You know. It's like you have to some of these movies that become classics, and then you have these people, you have these revelations about them later, and it's just like you have to sort of you have to build a barrier in your mind a little bit exactly, and just look at the character. I love this vision of the afterlife waiting room. It's like I said, it's this perfectly weirdly burtny thing, Like you can imagine giving it to you know, fifty other directors and they might lean into the gore of it or too much of the silliness of it or whatever, but he strikes this weird specific balance where it is dark, yeah, but it's camp being fun at the same time. Like the guy with the shark on his leg, or the you know, the chicken bone stuck in his neck.
Speaker 2: Or that football team that we see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one always kind of makes me sad. To the line where the one guy's like, oh we didn't survive that crash, did we. It's ah. Of course, you get the moment where they're dancing at the end, You're like, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they see they're they're they're fine, they've they've come to terms with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't know, just all this stuff like you just that's what I love about it. Again, Give this scene and say like, yeah, a guy who's like burnt to a Chris smoking a cigarette in this one waiting room. Give it to fifty other directors and you're gonna get something. And it's too much of this, too much that whatever, and it might work in its own way, but she only one guy is going to give you.
Speaker 2: This well, and that's I'm I can't help but wonder what's going through Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis on Mars there as they're sitting here going through this, you know, because you're really relying on on your director to see you through, you know, as it is a leap of faith, you know.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeh.
Speaker 2: See that one right there where she's like, I wouldn't have had my little accident. She holds up and I'm like, did she slit her wrists?
Speaker 1: Like? What happened there? That's what I think. That's what I took it as.
Speaker 2: But that's not an accident, I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she doesn't like wink wink when she says it. Yeah, but I don't I don't know. This guy is just so I mean just this whole walk through this room with this guy flattened pancake and these yeah, oh man, I love this. Even the lighting, the green and the blues and the that's it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's easy to sort of take for granted now because of you know, the the Burton filmography and you know, but like this, this had to have been something so out there back then. But then it makes me think, like, you know, there was a time when we would see stuff like this where it was it was kind of you know, it was it was skirting the edge in terms of is.
Speaker 1: It aimed at families is it not?
Speaker 2: But you could you could have stuff like this that did attempt to to sort of balance between genres.
Speaker 1: You know. Is that incredible? I mean you could say, hey, this director's got a vision. Yes, let's put it out there and see what people think. And then this ended up being the number ten highest grossing movie of nineteen eighty eight. Yeah, there was room for it, or there was nothing like this yet, and people embraced that.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's the unfortunate thing about where we're at now, where I'm like, where is the beetle juice now? And I don't mean beetle juice, beetle juice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: Right, Like, where's the thing that's kind of finding its own little niche? I don't know, you know, I just don't think there's a market for it unless there's some kind of a franchise or an ip attached to it.
Speaker 1: By the way, I should point out the guy who explains the exorcisms are deadly for the dead. That's the guy from Peebe's Big Adventure, who's like the worst accident I ever seen. Wow. Okay, Burton has his sort of unique stable. Yeah, of actors.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's one thing you gotta say. You know, people who work with him, they tend to want to come back and work with them again. So that's something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is great too. I don't know her name offhand.
Speaker 2: Sylvia Sidney, who plays Juno.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, she's so good and you get it's just sort of gruesomeness of her. You know, the slice across her throat, but she's smoking, so you see the smoke come out of it.
Speaker 2: She was also in Mars Attacks.
Speaker 1: Oh, she's the grandmother, the grandmother, that's right.
Speaker 2: So wowow, what about about ten years after this you were taken.
Speaker 1: I haven't watched that in a really long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've only seen it a couple times back in the nineties.
Speaker 1: So it's making me want to do a rewatch, you know, like I haven't gone through these older Burton films. That's the thing. I mean, his his career has been so interesting where he was making these things, these Edward scissorhands and that kind of stuff, right, but then he kind of got pulled into that Well, what if we applied the Burton esthetic to Allas in Wonderland? You know? And I admit, I mean at the time it was like, I don't know, what does that look like? That could be interesting, and it kind of felt a little more homogenized and watered down and whatever. Then I think, well, to be fair, that movie made a billion dollars, but you know, it actually probably brought some younger people into the Burton fold. But then you end up with Dumbo eventually, which just didn't work at all. And so I kept saying, like, man, I want Burton again. I want Burton to make something from his brain. I want to see that again. And then that's you know, in a week we're getting the sequel Beal Juice Meal Juice. So that's that's what I asked for making his stuff again.
Speaker 2: I I think, you know, Burton is very much an acquired taste. And I've said before, you know, I think I think he's somebody who has to be matched with the right subject matter. And you know, to me, the naar of just trying to plug him, plug him into anything and just sort of you know, letting it happen is is Planet of the Apes. You know, because I've said it plenty of times, you talk about, uh, the absolute wrong person for that material. I think that's that's that's his Planet of the Apes.
Speaker 1: And and I'm I'm I'm sure Tim Burton would agree with me.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, yeah, you know, because it's not like he has a lot of fun things to fond memories of having worked on that movie, you know.
Speaker 1: I know, but you can imagine at the time the tantalizing prospect. Yeah what if Tim Burton remade Planet of the Apes? Yeah, what does that look like? Yeah? Yeah, exactly. But he he just works best when he's able to let his freak flag fly and do the thing is it tickle his fancy, you know, like Mars attacks.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting because because like you have a movie like Big Fish for example, Mmm, right, and very very very much a Burton joint. Uh and and yet it it's doing something a little different. I think it stands out in his in his repertoire, you know. And so I think that's sort of the right approach when when it comes to how to finesse what he brings to a story. You know, I think just plugging him into an ip it rarely, it has rarely worked. I mean just at a glance. Dumbo the Planet of the Apes and Dark Shadows.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I forgot about that, remember Dark Shadows? Yeah? I mean no. Yeah. By the way, when he kills that fly and the whole helped me, hm, I was like, you know, that was like a reference with we were kids. Isn't that funny? Yeah, it'd be on the Simpsons and all sorts of things. But that's not a reference that I think your kids would understand today. No, no, not at all. It's funny. They have their window, I guess that well.
Speaker 2: And we've talked about it before. How like our exposure to syndicated reruns and things like that sort of extended the half life of these pop culture references. Yea, in hindsight to an abnormal degree. It was lengthened.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah, that's a good point. Things that should not have the window shouldn't have been as big as that it was for us that it was.
Speaker 2: That's what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny, you know, Gooley Ghouley.
Speaker 2: I was just to do that.
Speaker 1: When when he said putts, I like, I said, I was watching in the other room as Frederica. I I sent her that gift where from The Simpsons where he's like Vera said that it's funny.
Speaker 2: Is so just by chance we had watched the Casino episode of The Simpsons like a week earlier.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. Yeah. So as he comes up, I was like, you're a manager said for you to shut up.
Speaker 2: You said that, and I was like that's the guy, and they're like, oh, you.
Speaker 1: Know right, yeah, it's funny. I mean, yeah, I know, I'm less first music and more for being the villain and naked gun too, right, totally. Yeah, And of course Will Farrel's amazing impersonation of him. That's right. This is kind of a cute idea, you know, these sort of doorkey people, their idea of what haunting is supposed to be, Like, right, it's wearing these bed sheets.
Speaker 2: See, it's interesting that the story like that the Maitlands are our focus, but the struggle is that Beetlejuice is the most interesting element. So like you have to balance how much of him?
Speaker 1: Like is it?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm sure those are the things they have to think about, like, well, how much of Beetlejuice do we want in this story? How much do we wanted to you know, like how do we split our focus? And apparently the answer is about fifteen minutes worth. That's the that's the magic number.
Speaker 1: But it's like what you said, I mean you feel him through the whole movie, which is yeah, them sticking the landing.
Speaker 2: In a way, I think it's interesting in terms of how the credits are listed at the very start, where we have Alec Walden getting top billing and Michael Keaton is the end. M yeah, sure right, And yeah, I was talking to my thirteen year old He's like, what, Michael Keaton wasn't even a big enough start to get top billing? And I said, uh uh uh, he's the and I was explaining like crank replacement and negotiations. I was like, no, your agent gets you the end if you don't get the top billing, because that's just you know.
Speaker 1: He's like, that's so funny. I can see him at the cafeteria table, you know, a lunch on Monday, explaining as they're eating. You know, they're like, it's.
Speaker 2: Like you're the and that's a big deal.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, all the kids. Yeah, it is kind of a cute idea too. You know, this kid with a special ability, you know what I mean, like is able to see the dead and read the book and you.
Speaker 2: You you know who who Tim Burton plugged into when he got this right Lydia is clearly the surrogate for him in a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone reads the book. But then like she, you know what I mean, like she knows the real this whole thing with a model too. It's like a not just a clever narrative sort of conceit so you can plug this ghost being in and you can shrink down. But it's like, yeah, but he's in the model right now, and you know what I mean, that's just a very clever idea.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, as written Originally, there was no saying his three names, his name three times to get him out. It was just once he's out, he's out.
Speaker 1: Oh so he is able to freely do that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in other words, like I think that was the they realized, like, we need to put some limitations now, I mean, as written originally as much darker as we talked about. And Beetlejuice in his true form is like.
Speaker 1: A winged demon, right, and.
Speaker 2: He wants to murder the Deetzes. He doesn't want to scare them. He wants to have sex with Lydia. It is on a marry here, like all these weird like you look at it now, you're like, oh, oh no, yeah, but that was the you know, that was the the initial that's that was the germ of an idea, right, And so so the comedic aspects came in with Warren Scarin, who who of course also also co wrote Batman by the Way, M and and like as as as originally conceived, Beetlejuice in his human form is kind of this diminutive Middle Eastern guy M And I'm like, well, don't.
Speaker 1: Do that right, right right.
Speaker 2: I'm like, hey, now come on. So it's weird again, this like it has to start somewhere, right, Like we can be like, well that's stupid. It's like you know, but look, you gotta start. You put it out there and you prune it and it gets to something. But that's that's the process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, don't be afraid of the process. That's I mean, I think that's fantastic advice. I was reading about Michael McDowell, who originated the idea. Yeah, and he was just a person who was kind of intrigued by death, you know, and it's just I mean, you could see where the Lydia character comes from. And so anyway, he writes the first version of this script and he was working I want to say it like Walter Hill's company or something, that's right. He was like an exec yeah, and then I guess he turned it in like what do you guys think of this? I don't remember who said it wasn't I don't know if it was Walter Hill or another executive, but they called him into a meeting and he thought, oh, this is gonna go well, and they were basically like, so this is what you want to put out there with your name on it? The kind of thing and it's like, you know what, who knows, who knows what that first draft was, but like you said, it starts somewhere, and this became something that we're talking about thirty years later. So I don't know, man, sometimes you just need to not be afraid of your ideas.
Speaker 2: I mean, that really is the takeaway, right, and especially because it seemed like he was like he was fine with the way the idea changed, you know, if anything. You know, he he died twenty five years ago, and it makes me sad that he didn't live to see it. Just this remarkable afterlife that the movies had. I mean, he got to see it become like a franchise, but like he didn't live to see now like thirty five years thirty six years later, and it's you know what I mean, Yep, that's a real shame.
Speaker 1: Yep. I mean we're at the cusp now of the real digging in and having a moment with Beetlejuice for the first time. And what are we at.
Speaker 2: Forty five almost fifty minutes at this point?
Speaker 1: Yeah, crazy, Yeah, I love this so again going back to the model, like you know, the model grass and the Yep, I love the hard boar and stuff. That's cool. Specificity, I love it interesting too. By the way, his spell the spelling of his name Beetlejuice within the film is like the star Beetlestars, that's right, And so I mean you have to imagine that was some sort of marketing thing for the poster, you know, or like na, no one's gonna be able to say the juice part. It's like with G E U S E. But isn't that funny. I mean that's the only place that it's spelled that way, right, is on like marketing materials, that's right. Otherwise within this universe, that's not how it's spelled at all. That's true. I mean this is just so it's like card. It's like you want to watch it, like you don't want to talk through it. But yeah, I mean energy it.
Speaker 2: That's the thing, right, is is Michael Keaton you talk about a chameleon of an actor?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, I'm like, we got Beetlejuice, Batman, Birdman, clean and sober. You know, you know Robbie Robinson in Spotlight. You know, I mean what a what a career?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Talk about living a character actor's life?
Speaker 1: H right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like truly one of our great living actors, definitely, you know.
Speaker 1: And it's funny too. I mean seeing him because I know him through his characters first and foremost, but when you see him interviewed, he is kind of like a I don't like it does feel like there's a little charge running through him at all times. He's a little jit, right, you know what I mean. And so it's it's funny seeing how he takes that genuine spark inside of him and he channels it through all these different characters, you know what I mean, like like a weird little live wire energy or something. It's one thing that is beel Juice. It's another thing is Bruce Wayne. It's not you know what I mean? Ye yep.
Speaker 2: Well, I I think like just just a as a as a compared and contrast. You know, you put you put Beetlejuice next to next to Bruce Wayne, and it's like, here's an actor who knows when to go I was gonna say it went to go nuts, but like he you know, Like for me, what makes his Bruce Wayne work is how the quiet moments and it's just his face and you're just watching his face. I think I've said to you before. One of my favorite scenes in either of his movies is when he goes to crime Alley and he just puts the flower down right.
Speaker 1: And it's just his face. He didn't say anything, you know, yep, and.
Speaker 2: Then you see just the manic energy here, like I mean, this is you know, I'm an unabashed Michael Keaton fan, you know. Oh yeah, So we were talking about the title.
Speaker 1: You know, Warner Brothers.
Speaker 2: Did not like that it was called Beetlejuice, right, and so they they wanted to call it House Ghosts. Yeah, which, like, can you that sounds like it's like a Disney you know, made for TV Sunday Evening.
Speaker 1: Right, like right, right, that's what it sounds like.
Speaker 2: Tim Burton suggested scared sheetless, right, hilarious. I think the studio was like hm, and he's like no, no, no, no, I'm joking gods sake exactly.
Speaker 1: So then of course, well let's call it Beetlejuice. But then it's spelled super weird and you can imagine them being like sort of like the Sean Fanning lose the thuh, it's cleaner. It's like if we spelled like the actual beetle and juice it's cleaner. So I guess this was an actual sort of like outtake that they kept in because the tree wasn't supposed to fall over. Is that right? That's so funny and him being like nice effing model, like that's just him in the moment, and that's their PG thirteen, which is funny because it's not rated. PG thirteen. This is one of those rare eighties PG F word movies. Wow.
Speaker 2: I didn't even realize that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we Spaceball's Big and Beetlejuice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because at that point my son, my oldest, he was like, hey is PG thirteen? I said, I guess, like this is my kids?
Speaker 1: Is that funny? That's hilarious?
Speaker 2: Oh there's an F word? So PG thirteen, huh yeah. So Glenn Shaddocks here, he also passed away. He was also he you know, he was in a whole bunch of different movies, Like we used to see him a lot back in the day.
Speaker 1: He was in Demolition Man. Have you seen that? Oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah, he's in that.
Speaker 2: He's also in He's actually in Planet of the Apes. He's in the he's the during the dinner scene. He's the heavy set range tang I.
Speaker 1: Think that's right. I can picture that now Lisa Marie plays his girlfriend, right, Burton always getting his girlfriends in the movies.
Speaker 2: Well, I was I was looking for Lisa Marie in this, but I guess he hadn't met her yet.
Speaker 1: I read in the trivia who knows that this is true or not? But his girlfriend is the pair of legs with the sod and half girl. Ah okay, I had read for the Otho character. They had also looked at John Candy. Oh, you can totally see that one hundred percent. I was, you know, I like where they went. Yeah, because Shaddox gives this really obviously very specific energy. I think it's perfect for this movie, but you can picture it completely.
Speaker 2: I think the problem is Candy would kind of overpower it. Yeah, yeah, because he's John Candy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like the like the sort of sass of this version right where you can sort of picture the John Candy his kind of chuckle at the end of his sentences, right, which we love in other characters. But for this character, I like him being, you know, sort of a the opposite for for Lydia. You know. Yeah, well with the mother that's like.
Speaker 2: I think the artist absolutely, but Dick Caviot. How random?
Speaker 1: So random? I know, is that Dick Caviot? I know? And indeed it is not not playing Dick Caviot. No, yeah, so random. You can clearly see this is like a lot of this stuff is like Tim Burton the old movies and TV he used to watch, yeah, you know, and wanting to hire those actors and personalities.
Speaker 2: So the great thing about this sequence here, this is the deoh sequence, is you like the actors Jeffrey Jones, Catherine O'Hara, Glenn Shaddocks, all of them. They make you believe they are being forced to do this, like that's how good they are acting.
Speaker 1: Yep, you know what I mean? Yep, yep, yeah, like they're not being pulled by anything or pushed or whatever. Like the actors are portraying doing this kind of funny thing but against their will.
Speaker 2: So well right, it's not you're not just dancing. You have to play it like you're you're unwillingly dancing.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. This scene is so weird, but it's so iconic. It is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I like this song is in my shuttle shuffle. Yeah, and it's because of this movie.
Speaker 1: Sure, totally you know, yeah, kind of like jump in the line at the the end of it, like we yep, after it was playing, like yeah, Frederick could put it on and we were like bopp into it. It's such an amazing song.
Speaker 2: Harry Belafonte rip just just died recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See. But then we get the horror, like what a weird, weird, weird scene. It's so funny and weird and goofy in sixties campy almost, and then that's horrifying, like these hand shrimp things coming out at the end. Yep.
Speaker 2: It's so perfect, you know, just calling back to what we were talking about earlier. You know, I look at like the Frighteners mm hmm, yeah, so similar because it's Peter Jackson's sensibility. Like pre Lord of the Rings, Peter Jackson was kind of a different beast.
Speaker 1: Right, oh yeah, very much, you know, and really he.
Speaker 2: Had these quirky comedy slash horror sensibilities, which like, to me, I draw a line between Beetlejuice and the Frighteners. They're very similar to me.
Speaker 1: You know, It's funny. I never thought of that, but I completely see it, and I think that's why I like the Frighteners Yeah, I like that balance. Yeah, that's good, by the way, I mean, if people have missed that movie. I had missed it for a long time, and then I know Sean was a big fan of it, our our mutual friend, and he had it on his shelf when we were roommates. So one day I just popped it in and I was like, whoa, how did I It's this Oh what a what a gem? Right, total gem. You get this awesome Michael J. Fox movie that you may not have seen. That's this awesome horror.
Speaker 2: Comedy and it and it balanced. It's like horror, comedy and heart. It gets all three, and that's that's not easy to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've had that happen. You know. I can count on one hand where I was like, where's this movie been? This movie's been missing from my life. Contact was one of them. That was a mecha's movie I didn't see until way later, and I was like, this is so me How did I miss this all these years? And it's these back to the future connections you've somehow missed. Yeah, that's funny. Yeah, just surprising. You think I would hunt all those down?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Frighteners is like the final time, Michael J. Fox was like the above the line star you know, of a of a movie anyway.
Speaker 1: And there's that famous outtake right where he's like yelling a lot and he just goes doc And so I think Jackson has to be like you just said doc. He's like, oh, oops, just in his brain somewhere, you know. It's so funny. See.
Speaker 2: I think the interesting dilemma that the script has is that we are on the side of the maitlands, but we can't dislike the deepses either. M right, Like that's the weird thing, right, It's like we're not like, oh, get them out of there. We're kind of like, just like, come on, coexist, you know, that's really what we want.
Speaker 1: I think that's what's nice about it because you could imagine a version where they're ugly people.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, they're rude or mean or.
Speaker 1: Hateful or something. But by the end of the film, I love that it culminates in well, let's all live together in harmony, like we find the balance. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was reading about how one of the initial drafts has the deets is well, Charles and Delia they leave, they go back to New York, and they leave Lydia to be raised by the Maitlands.
Speaker 1: Which is kind of weird. Yeah, I was like, I'm not sure I like that.
Speaker 2: I like it better the way it ended up, you know, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, it's fine. I mean it's funny because now my mind is spinning a little bit, like you could sort of do a version where they're terrible, right, and maybe they're like sort of like Matilda type, yes, printal types, you know, or like Harry Potter's Yeah exactly, Yeah, yeah, but that's I like this better.
Speaker 2: They're just kind of clueless, which is I think works better for the story that they're telling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're tacky, yeah, exactly, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean really, when you think about it, this despite Burton's protestations about about the you know, the mundanity of suburbia, this is sort of a peon to suburbia, right, because the Maitland's are are our entry point characters and and we're looking askance at these big city folks. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's funny. You can see why.
Speaker 2: By the way, uh, you know, when it was announced that Michael Keaton was playing Batman, why the fans had such such a series of ship fits over it.
Speaker 1: I mean, what do you have before this, right? You have like gung ho mister mom and this it's yeah, yeah, it's hard to imagine, you know, like a square jot right, like sort of hero and a cape. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean again, I had the benefit of not knowing who Michael Keaton was, so my first exposure to before I even knew his name, I saw him in the suit and I was like, done, deal, sign me up. Yeah you know, but yeah, you see this and you're like, he's Batman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean you really kind of didn't have to get some credit to Tim Burton also for his casting. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, though well and and Keaton said that he thought it wasn't so much that he'd worked with him on this, it was that he had seen clean and sober hmm. And based on that he that that that's Keaton's assumption. H Also interesting here as far as the snake. First of all, I love the stop motion. Yeah. They were originally going to do kind of like go motion like the like the ED two o nine and Rubber Cup, but it was too expensive, so they did it the old fashion way. But originally the snake was supposed to just look like a snake. Oh interesting, And and the studio people were like, he should have Beetlejuice's head because otherwise it'll just we won't know it's Beatle just we'll just think it's like a creature that people just sent. And this is where I say, you know, we can't dismiss studio notes out of hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, sometimes they're good notes, totally. I know. It's like it's funny studio executives get a lot of crap, and for very good reason a lot of the times. But I was actually just talking to a friend of mine new works at a studio, and he was working closely on a movie that did very well this summer, and he was saying that the executive who's tied to that movie really cares, like, is really invested in it. Loves movies. You know. Some of these people just want to become heads of studios someday and you know, want the title or whatever. And some people just freaking love movies and want to make them the best they can. And so it's it's really cool when those people get to help plus movies.
Speaker 2: That's the that's the thing, right, because because it has become such an industry cliche, about the role executives play and just shaving away any authenticity and and you know, personality. You know, like Kevin Smith has made a whole career out of dunking on John Peters and what he did with Superman.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Sure, and that's sort of like the worst case example, but yeah, there's plenty of times where ideally, if it's a if it's a truly collaborative creative process, then you have little things and big things. I mean, I mean big picture. Does the putting Beetlejuice's head on the snake matter that much? Maybe not, But that's an example of well, that's a smart choice that the filmmakers didn't think about, but it ends up having a positive impact on the film, you know.
Speaker 1: Totally. Speaking of Kevin Smith, we may as well. He's quite famous for talking about yes, uh, almost being attached to a Beetlejuice sequel, the what is it beal Juice Goes Hawaiian? That was the initial title. Yeah, yeah, they presented that to Kevin Smith to possibly have a stab at Kevin Smith's famous line is must we go tropical? Now?
Speaker 2: What's interesting to me is that at that stage, I don't even believe the intention was for Tim Burton to helmet.
Speaker 1: Mmm, do you imagine you know?
Speaker 2: And that's right, Like that's I'm like, why even bother?
Speaker 1: Yeah, very curious what that would have then?
Speaker 2: Uh? Well, the this is via Wikipedia says the story followed the Deep's family moving to Hawaii, where Charles is developing a resort. They soon discovered that his company is building on the burial ground of an ancient Egyptian excuse me, ancient Hawaiian kahuna. His spirit comes back from the afterlife to cause trouble, and Beetlejuice becomes a hero by winning a serve contest with magic. It says here Michael Keaton and Won, a writer, agreed to do the film on the condition that Burton directed, but both he and Keaton became occupied with Batman.
Speaker 1: Returns Hmm, okay, who knows, who knows?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I love this. By the way that the people in the background, sorry, behind the maitland's you know what I'm talking about. To see that window for someone eating popcorn watching them, it's very unsettling, it is, right, I don't even know what I'm looking at, but I just I love it because it unsettles me. Sorry, sorry, you were saying, Kevin Smith.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's it says the Beatle just goes. A Liion script is still owned by the Geffen Company and will likely never get made. So I guess so cooler heads have prevailed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't you wish sometimes these unproduced, famous, unproduced scripts would be in some sort of I don't know, like library somewhere or collection that you could read. Man, you're not kidding.
Speaker 2: I just saw somebody on in one of my social media feeds yesterday posted, literally yesterday posted a copy of the script for Superman the New Movie. And this was the planned fifth Christopher Reeve movie that was going to be produced by the sal Kinds. Oh and and I don't know how this person got ahold of it, but boy, howdy do I want to read that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know right? Yeah? I mean yeah, I guess occasionally, often even some of these things do turn up, like the Frank Darboht Indiana Jones script. Yes, I remember, I'd give anything to read that, And then like a couple weeks later popped up.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, yep, or the Colin Trevarro Star Wars episode.
Speaker 1: Nine, Yeah, yeah, exactly. So every now and then.
Speaker 2: This feels like, how many girls that you went to ice with were like full on Tim Burton fase, like dressing like Tim Burton characters and they were like because that was like definitely a thing when I was in high school.
Speaker 1: You know, not as many as you would think. To my memory, I feel.
Speaker 2: Like every class I was in had at least one like really hardcore Tim Burton fan.
Speaker 1: I could just be forgetting because I'm trying to think. It's probably most likely people who are in my art classes and things.
Speaker 2: M h.
Speaker 1: I remember the crow being huge. Oh the crow was huge. Oh my gosh. Yeah, yeah, especially big time crowd mm hm.
Speaker 2: I kind of think this right here. That was the action figure. That was the Adam Maitland action figure with weird freaking nightmare face.
Speaker 1: It is a very face from your nightmares. Yeah you know what I mean, but still sort of weirdly amusing. See, but what's funny now?
Speaker 2: Bear in mind I saw the toys before I saw the movie, so I just see it's like Adam with like his Alec bald.
Speaker 1: Okay, this right there, look at that. That's I was watching this with my daughter and I was like, oh boy, hopefully I don't have to see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I saw the toys first and it has like again regular Adam face and then there's like a swappable beak face. I'm like, that's weird. I had no context. You see it in the movie. I'm like, that's an odd thing to turn into a toy.
Speaker 1: I see. You know what I think my memory of those images is I probably saw this poster. Oh wait, this is the scene.
Speaker 2: I don't think this is where Brian gets sad.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh damn, these these kids, like yeah, I mean, they don't look like kids, they are like thirty five year old men. But I think it was like a comic book. I had had the poster for Beetlejuice okay, and those weird versions of the Maitlands was on it, and I was like, what the hell am I looking at? This is one of those things too. I remember like from all the commercials and trailers, I'm the ghosts with the most babe. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had a Beetlejuice T shirt that said that oh really yeah, but it was Beetlejuice from the cartoon m.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know it's funny too. And maybe I'm wrong. I've only seen this a handful of times. I haven't seen it like a ton, but it does seem to sort of introduce rules as the movie goes along, where it's like, if we get married, I'll be free and even like free to do what. I don't know.
Speaker 2: But it's just one of those movies that is so convinced of itself that you're like, oh, well shit.
Speaker 1: I don't want that. Yeah, like you just buy it all. You're like, oh, if you say so, yeah, you know what I mean. I don't know. It just kind of works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just sent you a link to the adam Maitland action figure.
Speaker 1: You can take a look at that. Let me see. It's kind of funny too. I'm waiting for this thing to arrivee Federica yelled through the wall. Again. We were in opposite rooms watching this, just to be clear, but she was like, how old is why own a writer? Because like the whole hymn wanting to marry her thing right, And I feel like the movie takes the steps to be like this is so I can be free. I need like a legally binding marriage so I can be free. And it's not that he's in love with her or anything.
Speaker 2: Right, man, I'm just I'm scrolling down and just looking at all these action figures. I'm like, man, what a what a bygone era?
Speaker 1: Wait? Did you email it or text it?
Speaker 2: I sent it to you in the zencaster thing.
Speaker 1: Oh oh oh, I was looking the wrong place. Let's kind of I love how people are getting it behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: Look at it.
Speaker 1: This is the stuff that usually gets cut out. Yah h wow.
Speaker 2: That's a weird. That's a weird toy, like like what kid wants that.
Speaker 1: You know, it's weird because it looks like he's wearing a fez it does.
Speaker 2: I think it's supposed to be a baseball cap.
Speaker 1: I think like a backwards baseball cap or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because because you can, you can you can like take his head off. His head comes off, so there's some kind of a mechanism inside the head.
Speaker 1: I do. Like the one with the bat ears and the sort of circus Yeah, the circus one. Yeah, I had the Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had exploding beetlejuice.
Speaker 1: I see it. Yeah, his chest burst oven. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, there's like a little gizmo. Uh he would break apart and his head is attached to like a bug body.
Speaker 1: Were fine? The one with the purple suit, I guess the spinning Head. That's actually a really great looking action figure. Yeah, that's the one I should have got, or I just mean it looks like you know, you want to get the thing that looks like the thing from the movie, and it rarely does. Yeah, it actually looks like him from the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, that's what he wears later. Yeah. Yeah, I'm getting nostalgic looking at these toys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these are kind of fun. I love that. Of course he has to have a vehicle, the creepy Yeah. Anyway, you can kind of imagine, you know, Alec Baldwin not being sure what to make of what they're making. You know, you have this heartfelt scene with Geena Davis.
Speaker 2: So I was actually wondering if that was even Alec Baldwin under all that.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. Maybe not, but him being like, what what are we doing here? Well, even with this big schnas right there. Yeah, but yeah, that's a little bit of darkness you can imagine in a movie these days, you might not have this teenage girl writing her suicide note, right, I was thinking that. Yeah, watching that, I think I read somewhere too that that was an alternate ending where she was going to be dead in with them, Oh my god, and they were saying, what was it. According to producer Larry Wilson, the original ending the film would have ended with Lydia dying in a fire and joining her friends in the afterlife. They changed it considering the message it would send to young people that death would be a happy ending. Yeah right, yeah, and it's you know, it's kind of funny. How do you even get there? Well, I mean I could see, you know, if you're writing some sort of dark movie, like you said, it's an idea, and then you go, that's a bad idea and you tweak it. No, I take back everything I said, Brian, I was I was wrong. I was gonna say it immediately reminds me of Heathers, because that was going to be the original ending where they were going to blow up the school and all the kids were going to be dead and it was going to be a prom in heaven. And then they were like, no, that's insane. And so then you know, it ends with her literally almost like a wily coyote character. Do you remember she walks out and she's got like black set all over her face, smoking a cigarette. Yea like all the kids survived the bomb.
Speaker 2: Weird how that was just like a trend briefly, like yeah, and then and then you die and you're in heaven and you're happy. It's like that that Christopher Reeve movie. Oh damn it so much Somewhere in Time. Oh okay with Jane Seymour.
Speaker 1: You know I've never seen that.
Speaker 2: Well, sorry, I just spoiled the ending, but.
Speaker 1: Na, I'm still.
Speaker 2: It's that's a very beloved, like a cult movie, and I don't like it at all because I think the ending is is terrible interesting. Okay, Yeah, that's me. That's how I roll.
Speaker 1: That's how I roll. Okay, wall I have to mention this real quick because I'm looking at Katherine O'Hara and I'm looking at all the set design. So apparently there's a story that I really love with the production designer bo Welch m h. I had a crush on Katherine O'Hara while they're making the movie, and so he went to Tim Burton and was like, I don't know, like I kind of, you know, Catherine's kind of cute and I think I might kind of like her, and Tim Burton's basically like we'll go ask her out, and bo Welch was like, oh, we can do that, Like I can. I can talk to the actress and actually ask her out. I love that. Burton like, we'll go ask her out. Cod's stupid, I know. And so he did and they're married to this.
Speaker 2: Day, to this day. Isn't that a nice story?
Speaker 1: It is? I love it. I mean, what if he hadn't asked.
Speaker 2: Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I think that's the that's the lesson.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah. And then bo Welch went on to be production designer on Edwards Scissorhands, Men in Black, Batman Returns. He's done, al right, he's done, alright. He directed the series of Unfortunate Events, the series version the series.
Speaker 2: That's right, I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also interesting you talk about quirks of fate. Burton wanted Anton First to be the production designer on this, Yeah, and just he was unavailable. So that's why he got bou Welch. And so when you think of it again, bo Welch may never have met his future wife.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: If Anton First had been available, you know, mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then he I don't know, he's just how different would this movie have been also, you know, and then you think of Batman. What if Anton first had done Batman? How different would that movie be? And it's man, Yeah, quote John Connor messes with your head. So this whole seance slash accidental exorcism, this is just one of those things too where you look at the tone of it and you're like, he just gets it just right, Like.
Speaker 2: That's the right, Yeah, it's it's you really have to feel it here.
Speaker 1: I love the look on.
Speaker 2: Geena Davis's face right there as she reaches out to win on a rider mm hm, because because you have to. It's weird, right, because we're watching them die and we have to really feel the horror of that. But it can't be too horrific, you know, it's like real, It's it's a it's a delicate balance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, That's what I love about it is it's like it's really freaking scary, like her, you know, her deteriorating and the tone of it and everything, but it's also it's just scary enough. Yes, it stays within the tone of the film that we we've had so far, right, and it's sad that's right.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean the you know, like that that right. I mean, you know, her face looks like almost like a it looks like a Tim Burton drawing, you know, yeah, right, but there's something sweet about he's reaching, how he's reaching for her and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And then of course when Beetlejuice is unleashed, we get into the sort of can't be fun haunted carnival vibe, you know, and it's just it turns into like a like creepy Looney Tunes cartoon or something, you know, where he's got inflatable hammer hands and right, I don't know, I just I don't know this is you know. I used to say that I felt like this movie. When people say like, do you like Beetlejuice, I'm like, you know, I do, But to me, it almost feels more like an awesome video installation than like a movie, which sounds kind of harsh, but like, I think that's kind of how I felt about it for a long time. But then I rewatched it on an airplane, you know, not terribly long ago, and I was like, wait, this movie is like amazing, Like how did I kind of sleep on this for so long? And I think the reason was is I was just so used to seeing it on TV and bits how fun, you know what I mean? And I'm like, yeah, no, it's kind of cool, but I don't see how this all goes together. But when you do watch it together, this movie has a really weird rhythm and like energy and that's totally strength, right, Like, when you see it all together, that's what makes this movie this weird little piece of magic. And so I was kind of glad that I watch it again and you know, kind of reappreciated it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like when we reached this point in the story, like this is the trick, right, Like Beetlejuice as a character, we don't know how we feel about him, but we we have to be we and the audience have to be like yes, release Beetlejuice, right yep. So that's it's like everything before this moment with regards to the character has to tread that line of like we like him, we're not sure what we think of him, we don't hate him, how do we feel? But this has to be kind of a triumphant moment, you know.
Speaker 1: To save our heroes. Yeah, yeah, you know, but then he's this chaotic sort of thing, you know, where it's like all right, now that he has unleashed, he's dangerous but funny. Exactly right, right, exactly, like I love this whole idea, you know, just yeah, putting them on, I don't know what you call those things, or use a hammer to hit a thing and a thing rises up.
Speaker 2: Doesn't this feel like something out of Batman Returns or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point. I didn't think of that. Well bow Welch, I guess. So yeah, yeah, I'm just looking at it, like the everything in the frame, the light, the colors, the little criss crossing shadows in the background. It's just I don't know. I mean, you just don't get that a lot from a lot of filmmakers these days. I feel like they sort of, you know, they put the thought that they put into it, and then they just kind of capture stuff and cut it together. And that's a style too, But like, so much thoughtfulness in every frame here. So here's my question.
Speaker 2: Did beetlejuice because they couldn't stop the exorcism? So did beetlejuice? Because I don't think the movie clarifies That was.
Speaker 1: Actually a question for me too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because next time we see them, they're normal.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I mean, yeah, you know, I mean I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean by implication, he probably did something, but I just wanted to make sure. I don't think the movie clarifies that he undid it or something.
Speaker 1: I mean you're saying with what Otho was doing was Beetlejuice intervening a little bit and making it go south so he could be released.
Speaker 2: That's you can read it both ways, right, It's like Otho either doesn't know what he's doing or Beetlejuice is. But regardless, the Maitlands get back to normal. So how does that happen? Right? Unless there was some That's why I'm like, well, maybe Beetlejuice was kind of like putting his thumb on the scale and then once he like it was easy for him to undo it. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I honestly I'm not clear. Yeah, it is funny though, I mean it's you think, like now in a world where you can do anything with computers and I don't mean to turn on.
Speaker 2: Real quick, sorry, Brian. Yeah, if you look, the Maitlands are like healing, like getting their youthifying. Yeah, how does that happen? See?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, like why is the exorcism being undone?
Speaker 2: Did did Beatle just do that?
Speaker 1: That was my question? Sorry, no, no, I'm not sure. I'm not sure now. I was just gonna say, like you, you don't have the tools that we have now. But watching this with the sound off, this still feels as sort of weirdly small scale as it is. It still feels big and chaotic. I can feel the energy screen.
Speaker 2: I love that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, even though it's there's not like crazy things flying around in the air or anything like that. You know.
Speaker 2: And there he is in that purple suit. That's the forced wedding action figure exactly. You can stage, you can restage this sequence.
Speaker 1: That's really funny. Now you bring up a good point, though, now that I think about it, I've just swept up in the feeling of everything that's going on that I didn't think about what's happening with the Maitlands. Yeah, it's kind of funny. You get these chompy teeth, yeah, skirting around. It's kind of like Batman when the Joker spits them out there you go.
Speaker 2: That's if he would have put him into more of his movies, we would have found like a recurring Tim Burton motif.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Spielberg and Divorced Dads.
Speaker 2: And yeah, Tim Burton and Chompy Teeth, Chompy Teeth. See, that's my question is how did they get rejuvenated?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Again, I'm assuming Beetlejuice at the at the very least he stopped the exorcism in some way. But I feel like that's something that the movie should have kind of clarified.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe some of those things you sort of learn where they did they filmed it or whatever. But it's like people wanted to stick with the forward motion that was happening and they weren't missing it.
Speaker 2: I think that's probably likely. See again, watching you know, as Beetlejuice tries to force Lydia to marry him, I just and then thinking of the animated show where she and Beetlejuice go off and have these adventures. I'm like, man, that must have been a really awkward conversation. Yeah, it's a little bit like Biff at the end of Back to the Future, where it's like, oh, Biff, that guy and it's like, oh, yeah, some really awful things.
Speaker 1: You know. That's very true. That's very true. Yeah, I wouldn't let him into my house. Yeah. Yeah, I'm just kind of like marveling everything that's happening here. Yeah, Geena Davis like riding on the back of a sandworm and lisan O Gabe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's what's missing in this.
Speaker 1: It is like a really thrilling ending. I just never thought about it. I've just seen it so many times, you know what I mean. But you're really staring at it. It's sweet. Now they can see the ghosts the deets is So why is that because it feels nice? I don't know. That's good. It's a good question. I don't know. They don't get it. I mean you can imagine a movie being like when high emotions are involved, sometimes ghosts can be visible or something. But I don't think we get anything like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, here's the thought. Maybe are they even dead anymore?
Speaker 1: Like were they given a chance to come back? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean maybe that's there's nothing to say that they're dead here.
Speaker 1: I mean, he does have like a little supernatural act where he starts the music. Sure, so they're like, well, they're a levitations. I mean, I'm I'm I'm playing devil's advocate here. But that's true. I don't know, I don't know. I mean, I take it as they're dead here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I mean, I'm assuming I agree with you.
Speaker 1: But this is really sweet though. They get to be the parents they wanted to be. She gets to kind of have the parents she relates to a little bit more. But you know, it's not like, yeah, well it's gonna say. It's not like at the same time, if they had moved back to the city, it'd be like, you know, like it'd be terrible people. But it's like, I don't know, they've all found a way to coexist in this point right together, which seems to be a happy situation. I like it. What did he say? It reads like a what.
Speaker 2: Oh I missed that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean, come on, like this is like one of the greatest numbers, like going a movie ending on a number to like make you dancing as you walk out of the theater, jump in the line come on, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah he said, it reads like stereo instructions.
Speaker 1: By the way, Oh I see, Oh thanks, yeah, you know, I don't know. It just puts you in like the perfect mood, like seeing this teenager who's like formally depressed, levitating with her ghost friends dancing to this number the ghost football players on the staircase. Yeah, it just really like encapsulates what this movie is, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, it's it has this unique sensibility and it it just it makes me happy that that sensibility was allowed to come through, you know, and for a variety of reasons. I think the fact that it was relatively low budget, and and the fact that it wasn't something that was ignored and then found an audience later. No, it was embraced when it came out. Yeah right, it made it made seventy five million against a fifteen minute dollar budget, which is that's just all upside crazy.
Speaker 1: I love that way, go ahead now. It makes me laugh whenever he swaps the number the waiting in line that he doesn't even do it well, like he he throws it anyway. Sorry what we're saying.
Speaker 2: Uh No, I mean, you know it, it's it's a movie that's really had a strong and I promise I'm not trying to make a pun, but is that a strong afterlife? Uh? And you know, here we are this many decade decades later, and a sequels actually happened.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, incredible, and there was a whole Broadway musical hmm, which I hadn't reached so much merch, so much merch. I mean, I bet with this movie coming out now, you know, I don't know, I could imagine there's gonna be a ton of ton.
Speaker 2: Of stuff, but well there we go, you know, be Beetlejuice.
Speaker 1: Man. I I'm really happy. I've always found it like fun and amusing when I, like I say, I've happened upon it on TV. But I'm really glad that I've sort of really really looked at it again and come around on really appreciating how amazing it is.
Speaker 2: I'm glad too, Brian, because honestly, this has been a conversation I wanted to have with you for a long time. I was really disappointed in your lack of affinity for Beetlejuice. It was, it was, it was honestly, it was a barrier in our friendship.
Speaker 1: Well I'm so glad those walls have come down. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: This is just just one one more, one more point of agreement.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, the truth is this is this is not a film I revisited a ton after it came out, but it was something that started getting repeat rings for me with each of my kids, and I think that's that's why for me, I've always viewed it as a family movie.
Speaker 1: And even the.
Speaker 2: The kind of the scarier elements, like like Geena Davis pulling her face off and stuff, I found it, you know, quirky, you know, in the most sort of charming way. And and again going back to what I was saying before, it's just I miss when movies like this were more common and there were these kind of wild swings and the budgets allowed for those wild swings, you know that.
Speaker 1: And also, you know, we were talking about how this movie's PG. I kind of miss eighties PG movies, yeah, man, which is not the same as like a PG movie today. Like they were just like Monster Squad and goonies and stuff. Yeah yeah, and back to the Future and like they I don't know, there was just this interesting tone that they had that's really special. And a lot of those movies have lived on all these years later because there's just something to them and I don't quite know how to sum it up, but this is included among them. Like, like you said, calling this crazy movie a Family movie is nuts, but I agree with you, you know, like it just struck this perfect chord and I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: Well, there we go. That wraps up our conversation about Beetlejuice. Hopefully we've had something worthwhile to say. But hey, let us know, let us know your thoughts on Beetlejuice. You can email us at moviefilm podcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com, slash moviefilm podcast, or message us there. As always, please go to Apple Podcasts and leave review, leave a star rating. If you like what we're doing, please let people know. And with that on behalf of my partner Brian Home. My name is Zachie As.
Speaker 1: This has been our commentary track with you the Juice.
Speaker 2: Thanks everybody for listening.
Speaker 1: We'll catch you next time. Uh well