Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio apps. From the playlist, Well, I'm super excited about motivational Monday. What will bring? Where will it come from? Will come from the world of athletics? Politics? Will it be a world leader? Will it be Jim Harbaugh?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Did you see that Jim Harbaugh was used as inspiration for Ted Lasso when it came to Khakis and relentless positivity? Yeah, but okay whatever, his name is Ted Lasso, the actual man Jason sedaikis, Yeah, he did an interview about it.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, d.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that, Mike Great. There are a bunch of stories going on. Of course, that's why we do it now, this little trending segment that we call it, What's Happening?
Speaker 2: What's going on? What else? Start time for What's happening?
Speaker 3: Not to rework that introck. You know, it's stuff from my own shoelaces. By Friday, you'll be smooth as silk. You'll be like Elmer's baby making music.
Speaker 1: Maybe not at least five dead in West Virginia Flash flooding disaster. We saw some of this in parts of the country, early morning flash flooding where nobody has any ability to see this coming. Five people dead, including a three year old. Two people still unaccounted for there.
Speaker 3: This spring appears to have been one of the more dangerous springs in terms of some of that severe the severe weather outbreaks. Keeping an eye on what A couple of times Dallas Fort Worth Airport had to be completely shut down because of tornadoes and thunderstorms in the area there.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: The man suspected of killing a Minnesota lawmaker and wounding another surrender to officers yesterday and is do in court in Minneapolis. Vance Bolter arrested in charge with murder and attempted murder. He apparently posed as a police officer and was able to fatally shoot Democratic Former Democratic House Speaker Melissa Hortman and her husband Authority City also shot State Senator John Hoffman and his wife, Yvett. They were injured at their residence about nine miles away, and I mentioned that they said that the state senator was shot nine times and his wife was shot eight times, and they both are expected to survive.
Speaker 1: Perdue Pharma is entering a seven point four billion with a B dollar settlement with fifty five US states and territories who have accused of Purdue Pharma while they're the company behind OxyContin of fueling the nationwide opioid crisis, as the allegation by aggressively marketing its products seven point billion dollars. This is also going to end the Sackler family's ownership of Purdue Pharma. Money from the settlement will go to state and local governments, individuals, and Native American tribes. Since nineteen ninety nine, there have been more than eight hundred and fifty thousand opioid related OD deaths.
Speaker 2: Since ninety nine, eight hundred and fifty thousand.
Speaker 3: Speaking of money, you're about to pay more and don't worry. The roads in California are going to be great. Statewide changes could cause gas prices to rise across the state coming up July first.
Speaker 2: Here's the problem.
Speaker 3: They don't know how much the state's excise tax will go up from fifty nine point six cents to sixty one point two cents per gallon. But there's also an environmental regulation program called the Low Carbon Fuel Standard, and exactly how much it is going to raise is not that clear. There's a study from the University of Pennsylvania said gas prices could go up by as much as sixty five cents per gallon in the near term, on top of the record breaking prices that we already pay for gasoline.
Speaker 1: In California, there was an outage that affected Spectrum customers across La Van Eyes surrounding areas yesterday morning. Spectrum describes this as a criminal act of vandalism, and now they're offering a reward for helping the person responsible. Apparently, their fiber optic lines were intentionally cut in La They did not say how many customers were affected by the fiber cuts, but that the temporary outage affected some residents and businesses.
Speaker 3: Fiber optic lines were cut in the search for copper wire. There is no copper wire and fiber optic line, so it just ends up being vandalism and the bad guys don't get anything out of them.
Speaker 1: We've talked about boner Boner, boner xxx. Now health officials want you to think twice before buying gas station heroin talking about those brightly colored little bottles often sold at gas stations, convenience stores smoke shops sometimes called gas station heroin. They're usually marketed as energy shots or cognitive supplements, but contain tian neptine, an unapproved drug that can be addictive and carries.
Speaker 2: The risks of serious side effects.
Speaker 1: If I'm into drugs, all I'm hearing is Ooh, there's a new drug and I can get it at seven eleven.
Speaker 2: It has been used, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yes, it has been used in foreign countries as an antidepressant, but it's never been approved by the FDA for anything here in the United States.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to say what the name of it is or what they look like, because if you want to get drugs, you can find drugs, But I am not going to do a how to guide.
Speaker 3: When you walk into the gas station, grab it off the shelf.
Speaker 2: And take it to the counter. That's the how to.
Speaker 1: A tourist has fallen on and destroyed a piece of art, crystal van Go chair, in a what they're calling a viral museum mishap. This happened at the Palazzo Mafi Museum and Verona visitor damaging this delicate.
Speaker 2: How do you say that?
Speaker 1: Swarovski crystal sculptor titled van Go Chair by artist Nikola.
Speaker 2: Apparently the chair is part of the art.
Speaker 1: The couple had waited for the museum staff to exit the gallery room and leaned over the protective barrier to take turns striking a pose because everything's for the instagram. A man appears to slip and fall into the chair, crushing it underneath him. They broke the one of a kind chair, and apparently there's been a lot of public outrage, to which I say, if you're filling outrage over a broken chair from an art display, you've won life.
Speaker 3: Well, she this man and woman, she is the one who started pretending to be like, oh look, I'm going to sit down on the chair, but never touches cheek to plank. He does the same thing and she's going to take a picture of him, and it's hard to tell if he loses his balance or if he just leans back. Probably hasn't done it on this also a problem. They did say that they've rebuilt it. Painstaking restoration is one way to put it, and I don't know if they ever had id'd the two people.
Speaker 1: What's Happening brought to you by Trajan Wealth. Trajan Wealth will help you set and achieve your financial goals for retirement.
Speaker 3: Your local trusted financial fiduciary trajanwealth dot com.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six.
Speaker 2: Forty baby making music. Yeah, give it a little two on the nose. No, I meant the fact that it's still happening last one. Sorry, No, I was trying to send a message.
Speaker 1: I was trying to enable you to take a victory lap here, all right, never stop.
Speaker 2: Gary is so disappointed.
Speaker 1: Sometimes Gary lives with his normal people in his life on the weekends and hasn't been exposed to me for a couple of days and comes back on Monday and he just looks at me with complete disgust and disappointment and shakes his head several times a day. It's stronger on Monday because he's not used to it. He's spent the weekend with normal, nice people, and then he's got to come back to this and it's just like, Ah.
Speaker 3: It's not disappointment, it's just sheer anger. It's all unadulter. Really couldn't keep his straight faith.
Speaker 2: Why is it anger?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 2: Listen, what the reason? It's? Anger?
Speaker 3: Will stay between my AI chat pot and myself? Okay, I need to tell you you do not guess what didn't open today?
Speaker 2: Your heart the love? Oh really yes?
Speaker 3: Why failed to open on time today? Thousands of people stuck in lines. A union representative at the Louver everybody knows the Louver is the museum in Paris said the world's most visited museum is the site of a protest that the workers are upset about the working conditions. The disruption the late opening of the Louver was caused by a spontaneous movement among front of house staff, including gallery, attendance, reception and security.
Speaker 1: Hot tip, if you're going to the Louver and you don't want to stand in the massive lines, go to the entrance sets through the bookstore underground.
Speaker 2: That is the shortest line.
Speaker 3: A few months ago, President m Nuel Macron unveiled a plan to rescue the Louver from They said these types of things that are now boiling over. It's not just too many people. There are too many people. There are water leaks, they've said, dangerous temperature swings. Outdated infrastructure is part of it, and foot traffic far beyond.
Speaker 2: What the There are too many people. What the museum can handle. It sounds like they want money doesn't it. That's what everybody wants at some point. It's kind of the same thing.
Speaker 3: The jury has returned for its first full day of deliberations in the second murder trial of Karen Reid. She's charged with killing her Boston Police officer boyfriend. They began deliberations late last week, more than a month after that trial started. She's accused of hitting John O'Keeffe with her car outside of a house party and then leaving him to die in the snow. She's been charged with second degree murder murder that is manslaughter and leaving the scene. Her lawyers say that O'Keefe was bitten by a dog and then left outside of that home in Canton in a conspiracy that was orchestrated by police.
Speaker 1: I'm going to sound jaded and cynical, but I found this this story this morning in the Washington Post, and it's about the travel ban and the implications of the travel ban. Are future travel bands And here here's the headline. They fell in love on WhatsApp. The travel band means their wedding is off. And I'm thinking they fell in love on WhatsApp. Now I know I am not of this current world and I know people do fall in love on things like WhatsApp.
Speaker 2: What these two haven't even met.
Speaker 1: Each other in the flesh. Apparently they sent out it's a very boo Who story. Do we have any boo Who music? Any like Woe is Me My Life? No, that's more sex or elm or sex stuff.
Speaker 2: I've like, is that boo Who? That's funeral's death and distress.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking of the John and Ken show. They had a boo Who song. I think my mind just shorted.
Speaker 2: Did you say booty songs? No, but that might be part of this story.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, that you had send out invitations, They bought their rings, they arranged travel logistics. Mohammed Abdou is the groom to be. He would fly from Virginia to Egypt, where he would marry his fiance, Hannah in a traditional Sudanese wedding. The ceremony is set for Cairo, schedule next month, supposed to be, you know, a wedding festive and oh, I don't know, an in person introduction for the couple.
Speaker 2: They fell in love over Nice to meet you. They fell in love.
Speaker 1: Over WhatsApp, and they were on opposite sides of the Atlantic ocean. For months, they talked every day over video calls about building a life together in the DC suburb where.
Speaker 2: The groom had made a home and started a career.
Speaker 1: But then it was all upended by the Trump administration's travel ban.
Speaker 2: Do do do Okay?
Speaker 3: So the executive order that was the travel ban issued this month bars people from Sudan and eleven other countries from coming into the United States, which meant that our friend Abdo could no longer bring Abdallah's ease back with him to Virginia.
Speaker 1: Just a little tip from somebody who spent a long time doing news writing, news making people trying to make people pay attention.
Speaker 2: If you're going to.
Speaker 1: Use a couple and hold up a couple as your boo Who's story for the travel ban, and I'm not saying it hasn't ruined lives and altered big plans, but if you want to highlight that and make people.
Speaker 2: Go, oh my god, that's awful.
Speaker 1: Do not use a couple who met on WhatsApp and has never met in person. It's so unrelatable to the majority of us that we do not feel boo who. All we're thinking when we read this is not about the travel ban. It's who agrees to marry someone they've never met?
Speaker 2: How does this all begin?
Speaker 1: Isn't WhatsApp used for nefarious activities?
Speaker 2: Is somebody running drugs? I mean, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, it just opens itself into so many distractions that are distracting you from your purpose of your story, which is the travel ban is awful.
Speaker 3: I think there is a cultural sliver of it that we wouldn't necessarily understand.
Speaker 2: Sure that they I know, I misunderstand many cultural slippers. But they both grew up in Sudan.
Speaker 3: So the idea of marrying somebody who's not your romantic partner is probably more common arranged marriages stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But you've met that person, haven't you? All the time? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I've never been in an arranged marriage, so but I would assume that that's at least part of it. But again, that's part that the Washington postwriter knew in order to milk the sympathy out of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's not milking any sympathy when most people are scratching their heads, going.
Speaker 2: What how does that work? You know?
Speaker 1: This is in a New York Times wedding announcement of you know two people who I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know. Love is love.
Speaker 1: It comes to fruition in many different ways, and sometimes those ways are on WhatsApp.
Speaker 3: But anyway, Hannah went on to say, in the end, we realized we have plans for one thing, but God ends up planning for something different.
Speaker 1: That's a good way to looking at it. So maybe God plans you to meet somebody in real life and then marry them.
Speaker 2: I don't know, maybe not. That's a lot of planning for a lot of people. What do you mean, can he get that specific God? Yeah? Sure, okay.
Speaker 1: I like that you come to me for your questions about our Holy Father. That makes me feel good.
Speaker 2: You might be the only one motivational Monday when we come back.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six.
Speaker 2: Forty timely reference.
Speaker 3: I was right up there with trying to do it live to think you and I are The last time I saw somebody drive a car off a cliff very top.
Speaker 2: You couldn't make that movie today. Yeah, I don't think so. Well, beyond the fact that Brad Pitt's no longer twenty nine years old.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I saw pictures of him over the weekend, paparazzi pictures of him on a date night with his girlfriend in New York.
Speaker 2: Man, he's sixty one, Brad Pitch. Yeah, it's fine. He looks great, looks great in the f one movie.
Speaker 1: But seeing him in those paparazzi pictures of the weekend, like out after dark at sixty one, you.
Speaker 2: Look sixty one.
Speaker 3: Not good lighting? Probably, yeah, you know, not a whole lot of makeup. He not chiseled, not chiseled. It's life.
Speaker 2: It is life. There's a bunch of stuff going on.
Speaker 3: The man accused of killing that Minnesota lawmaker and wounding another one went to the homes of two other lawmakers we found out to carry out more carnage the night of the shootings, but apparently one of the other lawmakers wasn't home, and then the suspect left the other house before police arrived. That's according to the US attorney who is pressing charges against vance Bolter. He is accused of posing as a police officer and fatally shooting a state representative, Melissa Hartman and her husband, and then he also shot an injury to State Senator John Hoffman and his wife, but they are expected to survive.
Speaker 1: Sho Hey Ataani big news. That is the big news today here in Los Angeles, making his pitching debut twenty one months after he had elbow surgery. He's going to pitch an inning, maybe two against the Padres tonight in the series opener. He has, as we've been reporting, throwing simulated games recently in preparation. Typically pitchers returning from injuries go on minor league rehab assignments, obviously, but he's an exception.
Speaker 2: Because he's three time MVP.
Speaker 1: He's batting two ninety with twenty five homers, leading the NL, forty one RBIs, eleven stolen.
Speaker 2: Bass, and he's going to pitch Jesus, Mary and Joseph. He's got all three. I'm gonna watch that. I'm totally gonna watch that. Are you kidding? Or I'll listen to it on AM five seventy LA Sports. I'm gonna watch it and listen together because you're better than everybody. WHOA where? What are you dealing with?
Speaker 3: My God again, I have a lot to talk to my AI chat bought about the rest of the day.
Speaker 2: Hey, motivational Monday.
Speaker 3: We thought that we started off with a little bit of a I don't know, a little spark in the step to find a way to you know, perky up a little bit, find something that sparks your sparks the rest of your day as we go in for the rest of the week.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: So we have accumulated a whole smorgasboard of different kinds of motivational speeches. Some of them are happy, some of them are funny, some of them are downright mean, but they're definitely inspirational.
Speaker 1: Can we need them on a Monday to get the week kicked off correctly? You know who I saw in the elevator this morning, right away to start my week at work? Is there a better person to be in the elevator with? I say, nay?
Speaker 3: I You know what, now that you mentioned that, I may make my AI chatbot Roy Lee.
Speaker 2: Greatly beneficial to you in your life.
Speaker 3: Use his fun North Carolina isms. Uh huh, all of it.
Speaker 2: It would be great, all right? So grab that wheel and spin it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh, this is gonna be great.
Speaker 2: I'm ready from the world of theater, or as I like to say, theater. Well, I'm thinking movie theater.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna do like.
Speaker 3: And let's third solil liquid Charlie Simms scholarship student at an executive New England prep school. Charlie is hired to keep an eye on retired Army Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slay. Frank Slay, blind Vietnam vet who has become a cantankerous, cynical.
Speaker 2: Alcoholic the scent of a woman.
Speaker 3: Charlie's accused of a prank at his boarding school, and Frank suggests Charlie sack up and face the consequences.
Speaker 1: Is there anything better than a young man needing a father figure who doesn't have one, and an unsuspecting father figure swooping into his life and making us all cry over our popcorn?
Speaker 3: In a dark chapter, Frank decides he's going to commit suicide, but Charlie interrupts him convinces him to face his consequences. Well, remember, Charlie was accused of that prank at the boarding school, and at the discipline hearing in front of the entire student body chills. Frank surprises Charlie and sits right next to him in front of the entire school.
Speaker 5: Mister Sims, I will give you one final opportunity to speak on Mister SAMs doesn't want it. He doesn't need to be labeled still worthy of being a bad man.
Speaker 2: What the hell is that? What is your motto? Here? Boys?
Speaker 5: Inform on your classmates, save your hide. Anything short of that, we're gonna burn you up the steak? What gentlemen, When the sh it's the fan, some guys run and some guys stay. Here's Charlie facing the fire, and there's George hiding in Big Daddy's pocket.
Speaker 2: And what are you doing?
Speaker 5: You're gonna reward George and destroy Charlie.
Speaker 2: Are you finished, mister step No, I'm just getting warmed up.
Speaker 5: You're building a rat ship here, a vessel for sea going snitches. And if you think you're preparing these minnos for manhood, you better think again, because I say you are killing the very spirit this institution proclaims it instills.
Speaker 2: What a sham?
Speaker 5: What kind of a show you guys putting on here today? I mean, the only class in this act is sitting next to me. And I'm here to tell you this boy's soul is intact. It's non negotiable. You know how. I know someone here and I'm not gonna say who offer to buy it? Only Charlie here wasn't selling show.
Speaker 2: You're right, ab order, I show you hot order.
Speaker 5: You don't know what that audi is, mister trash, I'd show you, but I'm too old, I'm too tired, I'm too blind. If I would have, man, I was five years ago. I take a flamethroat of this place out of order. Who the hell do you think you're talking to?
Speaker 2: I've been around, you know.
Speaker 5: There was a time I could see and I have seen boys like these, younger than these, their arms torn out, their legs ripped off. But there is nothing like the sight of an amputated spirit. There is no prosthetic for that.
Speaker 2: You think you're.
Speaker 5: Merely sending this splendid foot soldier back home the argon with his tail between his legs. But I say you are executing his soul. And why because he's not.
Speaker 2: A bad man.
Speaker 4: Bad man.
Speaker 5: You hurt this boy, you're gonna be bad bums, the lot of you and Harry, Jimmy Trent, wherever you are there you too. I don't know if Charlie's silence here today is right or wrong. I'm not a judge or jewry, but I can tell you this, he won't sell any buddy out.
Speaker 2: Goodbye, his This up and not, my friends, is called integrity. That's called courage.
Speaker 5: Now, that's the stuff leaders should be made.
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety two, sanaa Wal of Alpacnita. So good, fantastic. I love that. I love the motivation, A little motivated.
Speaker 1: I feel motivated. I feel ready to carry on with integrity for the week onward. That too much, probably too much.
Speaker 2: I want to take a throw out this place. I do have favorites I do.
Speaker 3: I feel like we should, we should use that on a regular basis.
Speaker 2: I am totally amenable to that. All right, Gary and Shannon will continue in just a moment.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Some weirdness with the Diddy trial.
Speaker 3: By the way, the judge overseeing Sean Combe's federal trial is mister Juror. Early today, after the guy gave inconsistent information about where he actually lives, prosecutors raised this issue after the juror in a casual conversation with a court staff members that he had recently moved in with his girlfriend in New Jersey, but during jury selection, he said that he lived in the Bronx with his fiancee and the prosecution said that the inconsistency demonstrated a concerning lack of candor. They were able to convince the judge that maybe this guy tried to get on the jury for either protection of Sean Ditty Combs or maybe some money making scheme he had in his own mind.
Speaker 1: Well, for more than at least a decade, developers, app developers have tried to perfect the science of compatibility as they wadhe into the lucrative dating world. You had Tender promising infinite swipes, Bumble had women make the first move. Grinder a gay utopia. Some would argue lex was entirely text based. I remember that One and Pure, an anonymous dating app, was all about shameless hookups. Well, AI is reimagining the landscape of big dating. Yeah, it's like big Pharma, but big dating. And they have come up with a solution. No one is asked for ready for it? This is crazy matching singles based on your browser histories.
Speaker 3: It's the site itself is a little bit off putting as well. It's browser dot dating. That's the web address, browser dot dating, the dating website, matching people based on their browser history. And there's a big button right there at the front that says, upload your browser history. Now, think about everything you've searched for. I don't mean you, I just mean you the general you, everything you've searched for recently, and the internet is somehow going to find your digital twin, is what it says, based on somebody who has a similar browser history.
Speaker 1: Some of the examples of your browser history queries are listed like this, wondering if your cat is trying to kill you? Why farts smell the way they do? Maybe these questions are the key to finding a soulmate. Maybe matching weirdness, matching insecurities, matching neuroses. Oh, he googled end sage kidney failure, so did I. Maybe we're meant to be great? Are they trying to hypochondriax? Trying to outstick each other?
Speaker 2: That's the thing.
Speaker 1: That's that's why I just think there's definitely something to opposites being a good thing.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 3: That's what That's the biggest shortcoming I see with this, because it it doesn't take into account, or it doesn't take into account the differences that make a relationship work.
Speaker 1: The last person I would want to date and or marry is myself.
Speaker 2: You think I want that.
Speaker 1: You think most people want that reflective back to them.
Speaker 2: I think you would think the same thing.
Speaker 3: It says how it works, I would have fun with me. Oh but it would just we would just would just.
Speaker 2: Hang out and have fun. Like there wouldn't be what do you mean fun?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: What do you want to watch now? Like baseball? Enhand stuff?
Speaker 3: The baseball is the baseball game is still on? Okay, well then just watch that. What do you want to eat?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Sandwich? That sounds great, that's what That's what my marrying me would be like. Okay, yeah, but it sounds unfulfilling to me totally.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm just saying like it would be I would get along with that person, I think.
Speaker 2: But then there's no would do you know in.
Speaker 1: A partner though, somebody who was like you?
Speaker 3: No, because I think it would be. It's got to be a more well rounded relationship, right.
Speaker 1: Usually it's one person is more of a communicator.
Speaker 3: Say right, yeah, two of me in a conversation would be really boring.
Speaker 2: That would be really boring. I don't think that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just think when you got into other things, like if the conversation moved into feeling.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't. It wouldn't. I'm telling you that right now. So how it works is you download and install the browser extension, and it exports your browsing history to a file, and then you upload your browser history on the website and then they say, our algorithm finds your digital twin based on browsing patterns and connect you in a chat. I don't like how this works. I just think that there's for example, you have a couple of pops and you stick down to your computer and you start looking up stuff, or maybe you look up old high school people or something like that, and then that other person is doing the exact same thing that you are. I don't find that hard to believe that that would be a workable relationship in a new real way.
Speaker 2: But be typing in your browser history right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm asking if my cat is trying to kill me, how does your cat show signs that it's trying to kill you versus all the other signs your cat shows you.
Speaker 2: What is the difference?
Speaker 3: They are all here to dominate and kill us. Probably John Cobal Show is coming up next. You say, stay drive, Oh okay, we'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Stay drive and I say blessing. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI am six forty nine Am to one Him every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app