Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: KFI Radio.
Speaker 4: This is Mission Control Houston.
Speaker 5: Please call station for a voice check.
Speaker 6: Station.
Speaker 4: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 3: I can hear you loud and clear. It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 1: And his name is Amy k.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 4: Y eight is five oh one. This is your wake up call for Friday, January twenty fourth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Good morning, made it through another week. Looks like we got a handle. Not we, but firefighters got a handle on the latest two fires. We'll be telling you about that. Somebody's going on vacation, somebody's going to be uh yes. Leaving the wake up call in the capable hands of Michael Monks for a couple of days. I got girls flying in from southern Oregon and northern Oregon and we're gonna go have a girl's birthday weekend.
Speaker 7: Watch out.
Speaker 4: Uh oh, gonna be fun. It's gonna be fun. I mentioned evacuations and those fires and stuff, and we had told you, I think yesterday that producer Anne had to go and evacuate her horse because the fire was burning a little too close to where she keeps her keeps him, and so they took him to the Pierce College, the Large Animal Shelter. Doing well. He's going to stay there a couple more days, probably till Saturday. Gonna bring him home on a Saturday, right, Anne, yep, okay, And so he's doing fine. I don't know if he likes his neighbors. He's next to a very vocal pig. But anyway, glad to hear that. So hopefully more more are of the animals who've been in temporary shelters are going to get to go home pretty soon. Carla is our editor here at KFI. She does the morning editing with me, and she sent me a note yesterday and goes, I just realized today's my thirtieth anniversary with KFI. We like to stick around here. And her first day on the job was in nineteen ninety five, the day that opening statements in the oj trial were given. What a day to start, right, So happy anniversary, Carla. We love having you here. Here's what's the head on way kept call. Forecasters or actually firefighters continue to gain ground on the new fires burning it in southern California. The fire that started yesterday in Camera Rio, forcing the evacuation of CSU Channel Islands is seventy percent surround it. It burned ninety four acres. The Hues fire in Castaic that quickly exploded to more than ten thousand acres is thirty six percent surrounded. Governor Newsom's expected to greet President Trump on the tarmac when Trump arrives in California to take a closer look at the fire damage. Trump has been highly critical of how Newsom has handled the fires and is calling on him to release water from up north to southern California. We're going to find out more about his trip with kfi's White House correspondent John Decker in about three minutes. Emergency crews are working to prevent mudslides and toxic ash from doing more damage to the wildfire burn areas. They're removing vegetation, shoring up hillsides, and putting up sandbags and k rails. The LA area is expecting a quarter to a half inch of rain starting tomorrow. A little bit later this hour, we're going to be digging into the Oscar nominations with ABC's Willgans that's at five point fifty. Also Olympic medals. This is very interesting from the twenty twenty four Summer Games in Paris are a little tarnished. ABC's Jim Ryan's going to tell us what is up with that, and then Dean Sharp is going to join us at the bottom of the hour. He says, getting rid of all the trees and bushes from your property. That's not the best way to protect your home from a wildfire. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Bone dry conditions and Santa Ana wins have kept firefighters in La and Ventura County's busy, but meteorologist Lee Goldberg says relief is on the way this weekend.
Speaker 6: I'm sure wins, higher humidity, even some modern rain and mountain snow.
Speaker 2: The only concerned isolated down boards if they hit the burn scars.
Speaker 7: We have to be concerned about mudslides.
Speaker 4: He says. A red flag warning issued by the National Weather Service is in effect until ten this morning. The fire that's burned more than twenty three thousand acres in the Pacific Allisades area is seventy five percent surrounded. More evacuation orders were lifted yesterday, this time in and around the Tuna Canyon area. The City of Pasadena's urging residents impacted by the fire and Eaton Canyon to take precautions as rain is expected this weekend, along with possible mud and deble debris flows. The fire burned about fourteen thousand acres, destroyed more than nine thousand homes and other buildings. In Altadena and Pasadena. It is ninety five percent surrounded. Some schools around Altadena have reopened after a two week long closure because of the fire. Campuses around Altadena, Pasadena, and Sierra Madre that didn't burn have been thoroughly cleaned and environmental tests have been done. Teacher Yanzi Chevez says she welcomes students back to class.
Speaker 8: And I get through this together because that's what the community is about, our team and building each other together and making us stronger.
Speaker 4: Schools that haven't reopened yet are expected to resume classes by the end of the month. Let's take first look at your morning commute and say good morning to Will Coleschreiber, We've already got problems. There's a crash in Burbank on the one thirty four. You're right outside our door here at the one thirty four.
Speaker 2: It's going to be the westbound side right before Buena Vista crash there on the right shoulder, and as I look at the slowing, I'm actually seeing more slowing on the eastbound side, so we'll take a look at that. There may be lanes on both sides blocked, but that's the situation there in Burbank if you're trying to get through this Pulvita Pass. Unfortunately, we still have supulvit of Boulevard shut down northwest of the freeway right there at Getty Center, so you cannot use the Pulvita as an alternate to the four or five. They're repairing some utilities that were damaged in a fire the other night and that continues unfortunately, so I expect this Pulvita Pass to be very busy today. Eastbound side of the sixty eighth Downy Road crash there, somebody went off the side of the roadway and ended up facing sideways and lanes.
Speaker 5: Watch out for that.
Speaker 2: With Southern California's most accurate traffic report. So I'm Will Coleschreiber.
Speaker 4: Okay, we are expecting John Decker kfi's White House correspondent, and can we see if we can dial him up. He's gonna give us some more information about what's going on with President Trump's visit to Southern California. That he's supposed to take off from the White House pretty soon, and he's actually going to make a stop in North Carolina before he comes here. While we're waiting for John, are we working on getting him? Kno? And Okay, well it's going to be a Friday.
Speaker 2: Well you know what we checked yesterday, me and one of our people here, Jason, on the flight restrictions for today, and they don't go into effect until about two forty five, So it's gonna it could it could toy with your afternoon commute a little bit as he moves around.
Speaker 4: If you know, anytime a president comes into town, it makes a mess, and especially if we're going into like the Alta Dina area. Can you imagine the.
Speaker 2: Two ten I'd also seen some reports that he's only planning an aerial tour, so that would make driving easier but you know, well, probably that'll.
Speaker 4: Be interesting to see because remember when President Bush did the aerial tour of Katrina and then just got hammered.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he is expected to touch down though, because as we mentioned, Governor Newsom is expected to greet him on the tarmac, and that'll be interesting to see what comes of that. We've got several sources saying that that's what Newsom is planning to do, but they're kind of they don't exactly get along. It's not like their besties, not really. Yeah, so we'll have to wait and see. So two forty five, which makes sense because he's going to North Carolina. First, right, how about we tell you about this The Dream Center and iHeartMedia Los Angeles. As you know, we've been working together to help victims affected by the wildfires across Los Angeles, and your donations are being used right now to deliver air purifiers, electronics, food supplies, and more to areas in the community. You can help now. Donate now at KFI AM six forty dot com, slash donate, and of course you can go to Dream Center LA at twenty three Oho one Bellevue Avenue. It's in Echo Park. Really easy to find and they are still taking donations. And you guys have turned out in droves to help out the wildfire victims, and again, you know, it's like the fires are out and there's even there's more calm now, but man, the need is great and it's going to stay that way for a very very long time. Here are some of the things that they still need. Non perishable food items, canned goods, snacks, ready to eat meals, bottled water, sports drinks, hygiene products, toothpaste like they don't have toothpaste and toothbrushes. They lost everything. Shampoos, soap, baby supplies. Always need those diapers, formula wipes, baby food, as I mentioned, the air purifiers and masks, and flashlights, batteries, even portable chargers. And again they're taking those donations through today. I'm not sure if they're going into the weekend, but I know it's at least through today. We'll check from nine am until seven pm. So if you could load up a load up your car and take some donations, that would be great. Otherwise, KFI AM six forty dot com slash donate. Okay, we've got John Decker, kfi's White House correspondent. Good morning, John.
Speaker 3: Good morning to you, Amy. How are you doing today?
Speaker 8: We're good.
Speaker 4: So, John, the President's headed to our hood, but he's going to make another stop first, so let's talk about what his plans are for today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's visiting two disaster results. He's going to visit Ashville, North Carolina first, and of course Ashville still recovering from two hurricanes that hit Western Carolina in twenty twenty four. They're still about twelve thousand North Carolinians who are homeless because of those two hurricanes.
Speaker 4: How many?
Speaker 3: And then he'll fly all twelve thousand, I mean, an enormous number that community is just is reeling as a result of those two hurricanes. And then Amy will fly across the country to Los Angeles, Southern California. I don't have to tell you. We see the pictures, we see the video, families, communities that have lost everything, and I think that you know, you tell me if I'm incorrect. I think that the community of Asheville, the people of southern California want to know that the federal government is committed to rebuilding, to making these areas the beautiful places that they were before the wildfires hit in early January.
Speaker 4: Well, I think I think you are right. And you've heard the President say several times that he feels like North Carolina just sort of got ignored after the hurricanes, and here twelve thousand people are still out of homes and it's not like it's Sonny in seventy like it's been here. I mean, they're going through winter in North Carolina, so it's got to be just an extra, an extra hardship on them. And I was also talking to a friend because we had some fires tear through southern Oregon and a took out a couple of small towns a few years ago, and we were talking about like FEMA response and that kind of stuff, because FEMA always kind of gets slammed in these kinds of things. And they were saying, you know, they came and they set up all these FEMA trailers, but nobody ever lived in them, and then they started leaking, and so they basically spent all this money that nobody ever benefited from. So it'll be interesting to see, I mean, like how closely we're watching, especially in the era of Trump, where he's talking about government waste and you know, not using the money the right way, and whether he does something about it.
Speaker 3: Well, that's correct. Amy. He's criticized the federal response as it relates to western North Carolina, and he's criticized the state response as it relates to the wildfires in California. So there's going to be a political element to today's trip as it relates to which is too bad. But you know, I think that you know that's I think to a certain extent, the residents of these two regions of our country want to look forward. They don't want to look backwards in terms of what happened and the response that was or was not taken by officials. They want to look forward to figure out how they're going to rebuild.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So for President Trump's trip, while we were waiting for our connection with you, we were talking and will Cole Schreiber is our traffic eye, and he said that Trump's expected to get in later this afternoon, and there's talk that he may just do an aerial fly by and not go into the fire damaged areas. And that just reminded me that you're sort of in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, because if you just fly over to stay out of everybody's way, then you get criticized for not getting your feet on the ground, and if you go into the areas, they go, oh, you're getting in the way of relief.
Speaker 6: Do we know what he I get that.
Speaker 3: I get that. I've traveled with President Trump before after a natural disaster. I flew on Air Force One with the President down to Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria, and not only did he do a fly by, we were right behind in another helicopter, but he also was down on the ground meeting with all of those residents who at the time were dealing with the fact that their community didn't even have electricity. So my guess is he's going to get on the ground. He's going to see this firsthand, and to your point, he's going to do it in such a way that he doesn't get in the way of those people that are continuing to fight these wildfires in southern California.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, Well, we'll see what happens when he gets here, because we don't have any real details of what a schedule is, but I'm sure lots of people will be watching. And then I want to tell you this too. So John Decker, of course, the White House correspondent with the press pool. And you just mentioned that you've traveled with the president before. You're not going to be on the plane with him today, but you will be in the future. And so once that happens, Wake Up Call wants to know things like what kind of food do you get and do you hang out with the president and that kind of stuff, So we'll be asking you those questions in the future.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll give you a little preview. Best food I've ever had on any per airplan, and I've flown first class in Emirates, so that gives you a sense about how good meals are on Air Force one. So I'm looking forward to that first day trip yep, that President Trump takes and who knows, maybe it's to the super Bowl. We'll have to wait and see. In the week's ahead.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, rub it in ABC's on ABC's kfi's I'm used to saying ABC, but kfi's White House correspondent John Decker, Thank you so much, John. We look forward to talking to you more.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Amy.
Speaker 4: Byeba Ra The fire that started in Eaton Canyon above Alta Dina is ninety five percent surrounded. Everyone forced to evacuate the areas being allowed back into their neighborhoods, but there are some restrictions. The Palisades fire that burn more than twenty three thousand acres, is seventy five percent surrounded. Real estate agent's been accused of price gouging a couple who lost their home in the Eton fire. California Attorney General Rob Bonta says Mike Coobesi told the couple the rental price was thirty eight percent higher than it was initially advertised. Raising prices more than ten percent during a state of emergency is illegal. More than two hundred and seventy state banks, credit unions, and lenders say they'll provide a mortgage relief for property owners impacted by the wildfires. At six SO five, Handle on the News, a judge has given President Trump his first executive order setback. Will tell you about that right now, Let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. So, Jim, maybe there is somethings that made in America thing, there's something wrong with the Olympic medals.
Speaker 9: You let this be a lesson to Los Angeles. Don't skimp on the chromium trioxide.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, the chromium trioxide. That's right, what is chromium trioxide track.
Speaker 9: Side is chrome. So if you see in nineteen fifty seven Chevy bel Air and it still has all the chrome on, it's because of the chromium trackside. That stuff lasts a long time. It's used to protect metals, makes them shiny, but it's been banned in the European Union because it's also very very toxic, and so it's not used there anymore. They've had to find substitutes.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 9: The paras Olympics that happened a few months ago, the Summer Olympics in twenty twenty four. They were the Parisians were tasked with creating the medals that all the winners of the silver, the gold, the bronze there in Paris were awarded. But within just a few days, some of the metal winners, especially the bronze medal winners, saw that their medals were looking kind of scuffy. They finished was flaking off.
Speaker 2: They were just.
Speaker 9: Looking horrible, flaking off factures. They looked really bad. It looks like they were run over and buy a car and then dipped in acid or something. But they're just not very good. So about one hundred athletes sent them back and said please replace these with something better, and does.
Speaker 4: It look like they will be doing that?
Speaker 9: The International Olympic Committee says, yes, we're gonna go ahead and do that, and they think they've struck on a formulation that's better serve. You know, they's gonna work better to preserve They're preserved these things forever.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 9: The metal you've probably heard about this last week in nineteen oh four Olympic gold medal, which was actually made of gold back then, was recently auctioned to offer five hundred thousand dollars something like that. They're not made fully of gold anymore. They gold medals are actually silver that are plated with gold. The silver metals are silver. The bronze medals are silver, but they also have copper and iron and zinc some other materials in them, and so that may have contributed also to this, the flaking of the finish.
Speaker 4: I feel like we got jipped, Like, if you get a gold medal, it should be gold.
Speaker 9: Well, it is gold kind of fortunately percentage of it.
Speaker 4: Hey, okay, And how is Louis Vatan involved in this?
Speaker 9: LVMH is the parent company to Louis Vauton and Hennessy and a jewelry company called I think chal May, and chal May was given the job of designing these things, designing the metals. And so when the chromium or when the varney started coming off of them, somebody turned to LVMH And said, hey, what's going on with your medals here? And they were like, uhh, no, the we designed them, but they were created by Lemne des Paris, the French mint. Okay, so it was the French mint. Now that's taking responsibility for the bad formulation of the varnish.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I if you get a chance, I just googled it and it popped up on Instagram. If you haven't seen like what you're talking about, it looks like they were dropped in the water and maybe rescued from the Titanic or something. They would look really like they're just old and falling apart and it kind of corroded.
Speaker 9: It looks like the little boy Scout thing that I found that I had when I was a kid, and I found recently. Was like, hey, this looks terrible.
Speaker 4: Oh you got a boy Scout metal?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh I love that. Jim Ryan, thank you so much.
Speaker 9: Thanks Tom.
Speaker 4: All right, we'll talk to you soon. Have a good weekend. A hiker has been shot on the US side of the border with Mexico. San Diego County Supervisor Jim Desmond says human smugglers were involved.
Speaker 3: We've had a couple of hikers who were hiking near the border come up upon a group of people that had two smugglers that were.
Speaker 4: Both armed Border Patrol agentsy. The American was with other people hiking on Imperial County or in Imperial County when they were shot at just east of Hakumba. The injured hiker was airlifted to the hospital. A homeless parolee has been arrested in Riverside for allegedly breaking into an apartment, sexually assaulting a woman and stealing some of her things. The police were called Monday morning to the University Village Towers apartments. They say the woman reported hearing a fire alarm in the building and then a knock on her door. When she answered, the guy forced his way in. Police say the man arrested. Julian Madrigal is on parole for home and Asian robbery. The trial of rapper Asap Rocky is due to start today in La A jury of five men and seven women was seated yesterday. Four alternates still need to be picked. The rappers charged with shooting at a former friend in twenty twenty one. President Trump is pledged to fight the decision by a judge in Washington State blocking his executive order on birthright citizenship. The judge calls Trump's order a blatant violation of the Constitution, but Trump says that's to be expected.
Speaker 10: Obviously. Will look, they put it before a certain judge in Seattle.
Speaker 8: I guess right, and there's our surprises with that judge.
Speaker 4: The judge, appointed by Ronald Reagan more than forty years ago, is considering a long term injunction. The company and once prominent family behind the drug oxy Conton has agreed to increase their financial contribution to resolve mass opioid litigation involving prosecutors across the US. New York State Attorney General Letitia James says the Sackler family and their company per Due, helped cause the opioid crisis decades ago and have been avoiding accountability. This will help communities heal from the devastating losses are wrought by addiction, and this will support treatment and recovery programs.
Speaker 7: Across New York and the nation.
Speaker 4: The Sacklers and Purdue Pharma are increasing their financial contribution to seven point four billion dollars after the Supreme Court overturned a prior settlement. Costco has struck down some anti DEI efforts.
Speaker 6: A think tank recently sent the retail giant to proposal saying is shuld conduct an evaluation to see if DEI or diversity, equity and inclusion policies pose any risk to the company.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 6: Yesterday, Costco's board of directors fired back at the conservative group, which is called the National Center for Public Policy Research, voting down the proposal. The board says the company defends respect and inclusion as there are now nationwide efforts to strike DEI practices. Costco support for DEI programs is a sharp contrast from positions taken by other big consumer brands like Walmart, Lows, and Amazon. Andrew Caravella news.
Speaker 4: President Trump heads to Los Angeles to take a look at the wildfire devastated areas in Pacific Palisades and Altadena. In Pasadena, Governor Newsom and County Supervisor Catherine Barger invited Trump to come see the damage. It's not clear if Trump's going to meet with either of them, but we're hearing that Newsom is expected to meet Trump on the tarmac when he lands. Pete Hegseth has taken another step toward becoming the next Secretary of Defense. In a first Senate vote yesterday, his confirmation was advanced fifty one to forty nine. Republicans Lisa Murkowski and Susan Collins voted against hag Seth. A confirmation vote is scheduled on the floor later today. Firefighters keep gaining ground on the fire and Pacific Palisades. It's now seventy five percent surrounded. Officials say the latest damage assessment shows almost sixty eight hundred homes and other buildings were destroyed, nine hundred four others were damaged. At least eleven people were killed in the fire. And speaking of the sixty eight hundred homes and other buildings were destroyed or nine hundred four were damaged. And that's just going to lead us right into Dean Sharp, the host of Home on Cafi in the House whisper, because in this situation, the fire was burning so hot and so fast. We don't know if there's anything that could have been done. But as people look to fireproof their homes. There's some things that you might think you should do, but maybe shouldn't exactly.
Speaker 7: And good morning, Amy, Good morning. One of the things that we've been hearing too much about in the last couple of weeks are people kind of overreacting to the fire situation, thinking, all right, that's it. I don't want this to happen to me, and so we're just cutting down. We're cutting down all of our big trees, we're clearing out all of the things that could possibly burn. We're just gonna kind of it's almost like old drought thinking. If you remember when everybody was thinking about, well, maybe I should just pull out all my landscape, just put in gravel and desert plants, and that way I've got nothing burning near my house and my house will be safer. That is not actually a good idea on a couple of levels. Number One, well watered, green verdant plants slow a fire down, they don't speed it up. Okay, So the general rule, the general rule. And I'm all about clearing out brush and dry stuff, but the general rule is this, if it's dead and dry, get rid of it. If it's green and living, keep it and increase it. Now, there's some exceptions to that, and the exceptions are there are certain trees out there that just don't fare well in wildfires. Resinous trees, pine trees, trees. It's a tree that has a lot of resins inside of it. Uh, A pine tree, eucalyptus tree, so like something that has sap in it. Yeah, well, I mean all trees have sap. All trees have sap. Okay, but a resinous tree, like you know, you walk through a forest and you're like, hmm, oh, it smells wonderful. Right. The reason that a pine forest smells the way it does is that those resins inside that tree are so active. Same with a eucalyptus tree when you're like, can you smell that eucalyptus? These are trees that they burn. Those resins inside that wood they burn. They're like they're they're like the wax on on a candle, as far as you know, feeding the wick. Once it starts to burn.
Speaker 4: The kind of ooze a little bit.
Speaker 7: They ooze, and they burn and burn incredibly incredibly hot and fast.
Speaker 4: Okay, then I have a question for you that is completely not a we wouldn't find these in southern California. But it is a maple tree, a resinous tree.
Speaker 7: A maple tree is a different kind of tree. No, it's not.
Speaker 4: Actually, I was just thinking it would be. It would be because you know, it oozes stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, again, it's not sap. Okay, it's a specific kind of sap compound. So so eucalyptus and pine trees. I'm not saying that you can't have them on your property, but those should not be near the house, which.
Speaker 4: Is crazy because everybody's got eucalyptus trees.
Speaker 7: They're everywhere. No, and they're not native to California either. They don't actually, no, they don't belong here. They were brought here as fire, as a as a frost and wind stops for farming, and they don't actually belong in southern California. One of our feature trees in southern California is not native to California.
Speaker 4: The palm trees aren't either.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's only one species of palm tree and you have to find it out past palm springs and palm springs. But as far as La, you know, almost l every image of La is like, oh, the palm trees, and yeah, none of them, none of them technically belong here. And a palm tree, we talk about fire resistant vents right because of embers flying a palm tree this is its job, and a fire it just becomes an ember hydrant. If you've ever seen a palm tree burning in a wildfire, embers are just flying off that thing like crazy. So those kinds of trees should not be hanging over our homes, sitting right next to our homes. That's not safe. But every other kind of green, verdant, full tree actually helps block embers from getting to the house, and to clear them out is to essentially create a bowling alley effect. We've just cleared the lane for embers to get directly to our structures that mean so much to us. And so trees help, trees help, green plants help. What about jack Aranda's Jackaranda tree is fine, not a problem.
Speaker 4: Is It's my favorite.
Speaker 7: So but the moral of the story here is that we do not need to overreact by removing green. It's actually, if you ask any fire expert, green moist fuel. That's how they refer to it. Is the kind of stuff. It's not that they won't burn, but the fire really has to work hard to burn through moist materials, and so it slows a fire down. And the other thing is the fact that the presence of all of these and you've talked to you, and I've talked about this before, the presence of all of these green trees and this lush landscape in southern California actually cools our region, brings more moisture into our region. And if we had more of it, we would have less dry brush, less dry weather, and less fires to begin with.
Speaker 4: So we really should go green around our homes.
Speaker 7: We really do need to go green around our homes. Don't overreact. Again, if you've got dangerous trees hanging over your house or right next to your house, that's something to think about. Otherwise, go green.
Speaker 4: Okay, and Dean, this weekend, you're having an all call weekend on your show, right, Yes, we are, Okay, So what does that mean?
Speaker 7: What that means is that we're just taking a break from you know, we're taking a breath from all of the massive amount of material and information that we've been pumping out, and we're giving our listeners the opportunity to talk about whatever it is that they want to talk about. I'm sitting on this side of the microphone. We open up the phones and anything you want to talk about regarding your home. If you've still got fire questions, absolutely, if it's anything else regarding your home, you set the agenda for the weekend.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll call Weekend on Home with Dean Sharp right here on KFI. You can listen tomorrow six to eight am and Sunday nine am to noon. You can also follow Dean at Home with Dean as always, thanks for the great advice. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 7: Thanks, am all right.
Speaker 4: Federal prosecutors have released a recorded phone call in which they say show hey, Otani's former interpreter tried to transfer three hundred thousand dollars from Otani's bank account to himself. What is the reason for this transaction.
Speaker 3: For a car Loan?
Speaker 4: Prosecutors say the caller was not Otani but Ipe Misuhara. What is your relationship to the paye.
Speaker 9: All he worked on?
Speaker 4: The caller was asked if there would be any future transfers to the friend and he said possibly. Misahara pleaded guilty last year to bank fraud and filing a false tax return after stealing almost seventeen million dollars from Otani. The ex interpreter was supposed to be sentenced today, but that sentencing has been pushed back to early next month. Robert F. Kennedy Junior gets his turn before senators next week. His confirmation hearing for his nomination to be the Health and Human Services Secretary scheduled for Wednesday. Trump's pick to be the Secretary of Homeland Security. North Dakota Governor Christy Noam could be confirmed over the weekend. Newly sworn in Secretary of State Marco Rubios headed to Central America and the Caribbean to push the Trump administration's agenda on immigration. One of the issues Rubio could raise is Trump's interest in getting the Panama Canal back under US control. Missouri Republican Senator Josh Holly says he agrees with Trump that China's involvement in the canal is a violation of a nineteen seventy seven agreement.
Speaker 11: We paid for the Panama Canal, we built the Panama and I don't think that they have followed the treaty and we never should it given to the Patawa Canal.
Speaker 7: I think it was a mistake.
Speaker 4: Well, China doesn't actually operate the canal. Chinese owned companies do. President Trump has refused to rule out using the US military to retake the waterway, and armed visitors managed to get past security at the US Capitol while confirmation hearings were underway. ABC's Pierre Thomas says the man even went on a tour of the building.
Speaker 10: Sol Wheny say the man set off magnetometers at the Capitol visitor Center and was then subjected to additional screening by a Capitol police officer who failed to find the firearm, which was discovered as the man left the Library of Congress following his tour.
Speaker 4: Thomas said Capitol police officers will have to go undergo mandatory refresher training on security screenings. Magnetometer. That's going to be my word of the day, although it's going to be hard to use it in a sentence. Cooler temperatures and calmer winds are settling into the Southland, with rain expected this weekend. Red flag warnings expire at ten this morning. Most areas are going to see temperatures drop from around eighty yesterday to the high sixties today and then into the fifties this weekend. Two and a half billion dollars in wildfire aids coming to southern California. Lawmakers passed the funding yesterday and the governor signed it. The bills, supported by both Republicans and Democrats, include more funding to rebuild schools and homes. State Senator Scott Wiener says they are all on the same team when it comes to supporting LA and helping people recover. Drought conditions are getting worse in southern California. That's according to Noah's Drought Monitor, which warned back in October that parts of California had already reached extreme or near record levels and they expect those conditions to get worse, which they have. We're just minutes away from handling the news this morning. Another round of hostage releases is set for this weekend in Gaza. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Will gans Will. About twenty four hours ago, the Oscar nominations were released, and so we've had a little time to dig into them. Any big surprises, I yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Would say there are a few surprises.
Speaker 11: Is two of the surprises that I am, you know, most excited about are the acting nominations for Sebastian Stan and Jeremy Strong for their work in The Apprentice, which is, you know, a movie about Donald Trump as a as a young real estate vogul coming up in the seventies and eighties in New York City. You know, obviously this movie is going to make everyone.
Speaker 5: Feel a certain type away.
Speaker 11: But both of their performances are so good, and the fact that Jeremy Strong is nominated for Supporting Actor means he's nominated against.
Speaker 5: His brother from Succession, Kiaran Culkin.
Speaker 11: And anytime we get to see those two interacting together, it's always a good time. You know, It's it's competitive but hilarious, and you know they always sort of roast each other on the carpet and stuff like that. So I was excited to see nominations for those two.
Speaker 4: Those two guys, all right, what about what else?
Speaker 5: A complete unknown?
Speaker 11: So you know, we knew that Timothy Shallomey would be nominated for playing Bob Dylan in this movie, but it also got a Best Director nomination, and it got nominations in the Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress categories. So really, one of my major takeaways after the nominations yesterday was like, Okay, we really need to pay attention to how the Academy feels about a Complete Unknown. That's a lot of momentum heading into Oscar Sunday. The fact that it got all those major categories. So I mean, obviously Amelia Perez picked up thirteen nominations, but with all those those big nominations for a complete unknown, I think it might be a front runner now when you know, earlier we might have just thought of it as a vehicle for Timmy Shallomy.
Speaker 4: Okay, and then so Wicked got a lot of nominations. It used to be sort of unheard of almost that a blockbuster like that would get nominated, but that seems to be changing a little. We've seen a little more of that. Where are you How are you feeling about Wicked?
Speaker 5: I mean, I feel good about it.
Speaker 11: The other thing, too, is that I do think that a movie like that, which is sort of the out of this bunch you know of nominees this year, I think it's the most feel good. It provides obviously a lovely sense of escapism, which I think maybe a ton of people are.
Speaker 5: Looking for these days.
Speaker 11: So it doesn't surprise me that it did very well. And I think that those you know, the way that people want to feel and need to feel right now, particularly.
Speaker 3: In Los Angeles.
Speaker 11: You know, that could help Wicked a lot heading into Oscar Sunday in March.
Speaker 5: So, you know, I'm thrilled that it did so well.
Speaker 11: It's definitely was my favorite watch, the easiest watch, the most enjoyable watch for me, out of this list of ten movies. So I'm really happy that it did so well. And of course Cynthia and Arianna, you know, I'm hoping that we might get to see them perform together on Oscar Sunday because they sort of change the rules about what music will be performed that day.
Speaker 4: That could be fun. The other thing that I was thinking about when I was looking through the nominations was the Best Actors category. And You've got to me more from the substance, which I know you said you liked it not for the faint of heart. I did not like it, But I think, to me, did she did a good job, but she didn't make me feel anything. You know, she did a good job in the role. Cynthia Rivo made me cry. She did such an amazing job, and I would I would love to see something like that be rewarded. We'll have to wait and see, but I kind of doubt it, but it'd be nice.
Speaker 5: I'm with you.
Speaker 11: And the big thing about the difference between like a Demi Mour performance and a Cynthia Rivo performance is sort of the way you.
Speaker 5: Walk out of that theater.
Speaker 11: So with Demi Moore, obviously, the last shot of that movie is pretty gross and it's like you do see her, you see her face or whatever. But compare that to how you feel walking out of Wicked when you've just watched Cynthia Rivo totally crushed to find gravity and you're like, yes, like of.
Speaker 5: Course Cynthia is.
Speaker 11: It's like she stays on your mind and in your heart and so you know, I'm with you.
Speaker 5: It would be amazing to see her rewarded for that.
Speaker 11: And by the way, if Cynthia wins on Oscar Sunday, that would complete her egot. You knows one Oscar short, so I mean that would be yeah, something spectacular.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm sure we're going to be rehashing all of this on March third, because the awards are being handed out on March second. ABC's Willgans thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Amy. Great to talk to you always.
Speaker 4: All right, talk to you next week. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. President Trump is expected to visit La today to see the fire damage, but cafi's Daniel Martindale says details of the visit haven't been released by the White House.
Speaker 8: Trump spoke about the deadly fires during his inaugural address on Monday. Trump has been highly critical of Governor Gavin Newsom's handling of the wildfire situation. Earlier this week, the President told Fox News he doesn't think the federal government should give California anything until the state changes certain policies.
Speaker 4: Those policies have to do with forest management and allowing more water to flow to southern California from up north. More than two hundred and seventy financial institutions have agreed to provide mortgage relief to property owners impacted by the fires.
Speaker 6: A three month for barons we'll go to those who have lost homes in La in Ventura counties. In a statement on Thursday, Governor Gavin Newsom think the institutions and said that California will continue to support survivors and expedite relief and recovery for fire victims. The move is similar to action taken by five major banks last week. Newsom has also extended the state tax filing deadline to October fifteen for La County residents. Homeowners have until April twenty twenty six to file their property taxes. Andrew Caravella Kafi news The.
Speaker 4: Cal State University System is facing a proposed eight percent cut in state funding, which could affect more than four hundred and fifty thousand students. Governor Newsom's budget plan includes just over three hundred and seventy five million dollars in reductions and delays of roughly two hundred and fifty two million in funding, which campuses say will increase financial strain on the system. Currently, sixty percent of CSU funding comes from the state. The rest is from tuition and fees. La County health officials and volunteers are going to be hosting workshops at music and cultural festivals across the county as part of an effort to counter the fentanyl crisis. While attendee wait to go into stadiums and other venues, they'll have a chance to learn about the risks of fentanyl. They'll also get training and certification on how to administer narcam, a life saving opioid overdose reversal medication. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland. Weather from KFI. Red flag warnings run out at ten o'clock. Still have some gusty winds on the way. Sunshine this morning and then some clouds rolling in this afternoon. Highs will be in right around seventy for the beaches Metro La inland O c low seventies for the valleys in Ie low sixties in the Antelote Valley. Cloudy with the forty percent chance of rain tomorrow and then rains likely tomorrow night and Sunday. Snow's expected at about the thirty five hundred to four thousand foot level hies through the weekend. In the fifties and sixties, it's fifty six in Brea, fifty in Lake Forest fifty seven and Marina del Rey forty nine in Burbank. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer KNO and Traffic Special Life.
Speaker 11: Nick.
Speaker 4: I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed a name wake up call, you can listen any old time on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app