Speaker 1: Check podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Friday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here and.
Speaker 4: The man wearing Dennis Curran's old number six makes it too nothing.
Speaker 2: With John Taylor, I was just gonna say, underrated egg, deviled egg and Rick Dolly Wall.
Speaker 1: Now are you gonna go on the coach at eight o'clock tonight? Sit down and let's put.
Speaker 2: It in gears Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 4: Ten o'clock in downtown Dan Cooper brother Paul Carson's video. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick Dolly Wall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man at the controls our director. The voice of God is Derek Wong. Quinn Taylor's here as well. How are you that couldn't be better? Cracking over the Canucks? Five nothing and Seattle is eleven fewer points than the Canucks.
Speaker 1: I didn't see it coming. I don't know if you did. I didn't see the urgency. I knew when the two power plays early in the game and they went over too in the power play. I thought to myself, that's not good. That's not good at all. Where was the urgency? Where's the team desperate for points? Donny? Where was that team last night? I didn't see it.
Speaker 4: I'm going to disagree with you somewhat. Well. I thought they worked hard last night. Maybe there was some urgency there. We could argue that there's not enough talent, and a lot of that has to do with injuries. And look look at what's happening with their center ice position. You know, Philip Headel is out probably for the season. Elius Petterson, Lord knows when he's coming back. We don't know exactly what the injury is. They traded J. T. Miller Hoglander. Hoglander's not there. There's the skill level even versus Seattle eleven points behind it. But they looked like the seventy eight Montreal Canadians last night. There's not enough talent not I know. I know the Aviasford players have been great, relatively speaking, There's not enough talent in this organization.
Speaker 1: I'm going to fight back on you on that. They just went on a road trip and scored a ton of goals. Without all those guys.
Speaker 4: How'd they do in that road trip? Do you claim it was a great road tap? They were two? They lost four of those.
Speaker 1: Games, two to two and two on the road trip.
Speaker 4: That's four losses.
Speaker 1: Had a ton of abby guys in there, goals in the last minute twice, should have beat the Rangers. There was a lot of good other trip. Don It wasn't a horrible trip. They scored a ton of goals. Where were those guys last night that were scoring on the road trip?
Speaker 5: Do?
Speaker 4: Where were they?
Speaker 3: Rick?
Speaker 4: They're not going to make the playoffs? I know, eight points out of a playoffs, but right they're gone. It's Seber, it's over. But you're telling you that the road trip was great, and I'm telling you where were the guys last night on home ice?
Speaker 1: And that's another problem. Dodd tied with sanjose A at Chicago for the fewest home wins. That's bad. I don't know where you go, is it good or bad? Like it's bad. They're not going to make the playoffs. We know that it's over.
Speaker 4: That there's not enough talent, that management has done a poor job. This is another you know, another area of management that just has not done a great job. Let me let me go down the list here of what's happening with the injury riddled Okay, not much you could do about that. Injury injuries are gonna are gonna happen at this point. Again, the Atmosphord guys have been great, they had five or six of them in the lineup last night, but relatively speaking, no depth to take care of what's happening, especially at the center ice position. They've got an eleven point six million dollars a season star center who's injured and underachieving right bingle. They've got what looks to be a lame duck head coach who won an Adams Award last year and looks like he might be headed out the door. It's just so strange trade deadline they got UFAs brock Bester and Pugh Suiter didn't didn't and Derek Forward didn't get anything for those guys. Didn't make a move with them. I guess in the hopes that they were going to make the playoffs. Can you imagine the reaction? What you know, what the reaction is going to be if those guys leave for nothing, nothing, nothing, management group and maybe this is too close to us too worried about the media. They're too worried about what the media is thinking. With the play, better, then the media will be more positive.
Speaker 1: Twenty four to seven. They're worried about what the media is saying twenty four to seven, seven days a week.
Speaker 4: They're they're, they're and look, not just management and the organization, but the fan base is well frightened to death about what Quinn Hughes is thinking right now. That is true, and he is what he played twenty seven minutes last night, he has been just fabulous. Obviously, the skill level, the work ethic second to none. But you have to be frightened to death. I'll use that phrase again about what he is thinking at this point and percent other than that, things are pretty good.
Speaker 1: Other than that, everything's good, and Quinn Hughes, I'm missing things too, Donnie. Let's call a space of spade. Quinn Hughes is nowhere near one hundred percent. That that that poor kid, what he's gone through in the last few weeks and months, He's not one hundred percent. He's not even close to one hundred percent. But he goes out there every single night and gives it all.
Speaker 6: He's got highlights if you want to call him that, Derek, We're good rock and roll, my friend Roger's Arena, Vancouver, BC Len first period, Jake Debrusk with the giveaway to Mike Easimont.
Speaker 4: He's Kate's hand. He shoots his coats past thatcher. Dempko won nothing. Seattle. Second period crack an attack Jared McCann to Andre Brukowski all the way over to Chandler Stevenson high glove on Demco who look to be playing the past. There to nothing for the visitors from the Evergreen State and apparently Seattle book on Demko high glove from the left side Shane Wright, same thing as Stevenson's late in that middle, Stanza writes eighteenth three nothing after a deuce midway through the third krack and breakout with speed, and again it's the ex cannock Jared McCann leading the way. I'm contested. He comes up with the sweet feet to Berekovski and in breakowsky in fashion he makes it four nothing. Third assist for McCann. Rick Hackett pulled Dempko with five minutes left, and that results in this Adam Larsen on the right side making moves hits the gaping six by four as Booze rained down five to nothing final Connock's at home to Anaheim on Saturday. Here's where they're at. We went through that before the highlights. But the skill, the talent isn't there right now, even against the team like Seattle. And that has a lot to do with injuries. I understand that, but Thatcher Dempko has to stand on his head in order for them to win. He'll tell you that last night he wasn't at his best.
Speaker 1: Knocker knock three goals.
Speaker 4: He's a fantastic goaltender, but it's pretty much up to him right now in order for them or for them to win. I know there are other components, but that is the key. It wasn't there last night. Five nothing fine.
Speaker 1: First three goals, Don fourteen shots not good enough. The two that went as you mentioned, the exact left side glove. He's had better games. This team is in a position you nail. It cannot win without great goaltending. They've given up a lot of go to Columbus. Don go to Columbus seven goals. They have given up a lot of goals in the last week. Better goaltending is required.
Speaker 4: Rick Cockett post game, frustrated Rick Cockett, as you can imagine Rick Cockett talking about his team, no poise, lots of nerves.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that early on saw a lot of nervousness. You know, we had a couple of power plays with are he needs some I didn't think we had some poison. Then they got a couple of quick goals on us, and you could see guys were getting nervous chasing the game. I mean, you know, I think we had some guys that really gave some effort, but I didn't think we had a lot of poise tonight.
Speaker 8: How tough is it to continue to believe? I mean, when you playing these much win situations, it's got to be emotionally exhausting.
Speaker 7: And to still believe you've got a chance when the math is bad, well, I mean, you got to believe in yourself. How do you you know, if you're struggling as a player, you got to turn your game around. You gotta believe in yourself. Plus, we got a bunch of young guys. You gotta, you know, it to them to keep pushing, and you just keep pushing. But you know, like I said, you know, you gotta I know it's the same old thing coaches say, but you got to you gotta keep getting at it, working at it. But there's some plays there and some poise stuff that we gotta you know, we just got to relax in certain situations. Intensity, but relax. There's plays there, and I just think we're not finding them, you know.
Speaker 4: He went on after that, and the guy's on six fifty Jason and Mica this morning made a point about how many times he said poise it's just not there, and again has a lot to do with you know, you know, I know it's all relative. You're in the National Lucky League. You're a tremendously talented athlete, but relatively speaking, there's not a whole lot of skill. There's whole lot of talent, whole lot of goals scoring there, especially given the injuries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, poise patient, same thing, And he's a frustrated coach right now. Don he's frustrated. There's no question in my mind, he's sitting there going, Okay, this is what I got. This is why he'd probably like to get some of those injury guys back as soon as possible, because these games mean so much. Guess what not, everyone's coming back right away.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's let's run another Rick Talcket clip here if you don't mind, Derek, This is Rick Talckett expanding on what he was talking about earlier, but his team's inability to make the most of its chances. What do we have?
Speaker 7: Seventy six shot attempts, a lot of miss nuts, block shots, the same old story. We just that's where the poise is. You know, you know the guy's gonna be in front, you gotta fake it, go around and then shoot it like these are the poised place shot attempts are. I mean, I like it, but you'd like to see more result or when you get some attempts, I thought we missed the net again. Shot location is a big thing. We've talked about being able to shoot somewhere where the goalie might give a rebound instead of missing the net and then starting to break out.
Speaker 3: So this is a but that's pois. We gotta keep working on that stuff.
Speaker 4: Talk it. And the reason I wanted to run that clip is because I think we've run a similar clip fourteen to fifteen times this year, and it's just such a simple thing and making the most of your chances and missing the net missing, you know, just as like And again, I know it's the National Hockey League. I know the game moves lightning quick. I can only imagine, you can only imagine. Most people out there can only imagine. But hitting the net is so basic, and it must be just so frustrating for him to see his team not do that. And what a difference it would make if in fact they actually they actually hit the net twenty four times. They missed the net last night.
Speaker 1: A lot of and give Seattle credit, a lot of block shots twenty nine block shots. Yeah, give Seattle credit. And when you when the other team is sacrificing and blocking shots, well, guess what, it's a real tough time to get through to the goaltender with a shot, So get the crack on some credit.
Speaker 4: It must be really disappointing for Rick Talckett. It is because you come off with that, you come off of that road trip which was so successful, you know, and you come up with an effort like that, like that must be really disappointing for you.
Speaker 1: And they had they were missing two guys last night, Seattle. Two top six wingers or sorry, top six players Schwartz and somebody DM me last yesterday. He said, oh, it's a guaranteed win night tonight. Seattle's got two guys out, two really important guys out. And I said, you know what, there is no guaranteed win night. And you know what else, A lot of guys in Seattle are playing for jobs next year. Don Canucks be doing the same thing exactly exactly and told them, Schwartz out and so Donny, there's a lot of guys on Seattle playing for jobs next year. And they looked like it last night. And Jared McCann, the former canak that third goal now the goal by uh Barakowski where he had his head up and he passed it on their oh, beautiful.
Speaker 4: Path, sure but uncontested.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the way he kept his head up and he knew he was there and he just put it right on his stick, down beautiful, beautiful path.
Speaker 4: Eleven points behind the Canucks.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know, it's ridiculous. That's not the effort. Five nothing home ice lost to a non playoff team is not.
Speaker 4: I I don't. I didn't have that much. I'm I'm I'm sure I'm in the minority there. I thought their effort. You could talk about their urgency, whatever, what do you want to talk? I thought it was okay last night. There's just that they don't have the skill right now, especially with those injuries and the lack of depth and the terrible management. I mean, you.
Speaker 1: Missed the goaltending done. These guys can't win with weak goltending. They can't do it. Yeah, they can't. Last night go three unfortunate and that's rare for him. Yeah it is. And it was a one off for demgop. But my goodness, he has to be better, are you Ryan?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Swall, Swall we had time to rant a bit more here, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, not much time. I don't want to keep far hand waiting. He gets all mad.
Speaker 9: We do have a good inbox Delaney's okay tire in Langley and all the grove inbox good. Uh, completely agree with Donnie here. Not enough talent in my opinion, the most disappointing season in the last decade. The wheels fell off early, fell off the wagon early in the season, and the Canucks ended up relying on spare tires that just couldn't get the team where they needed to go. That's downhill, Dave in Whistler, and that is kind of how I felt last night too. I was like, I can't get overly worked out, because if you just look at the roster, it's clearly obvious that there's just not enough.
Speaker 1: There's not nearly enough talent.
Speaker 4: But the real sad part is that, as Rick points out, Seattle's missed a couple of key players. Yeah, and their roster looked way much more talented than than the Connucks. It shouldn't be that way even with the injuries.
Speaker 1: But okay, but let me ask you this.
Speaker 9: Let me ask you this, Like if you say you put Peterson back in the lineup, you put Hole back in the lineup, heat back in the lineup, there's still not with everything we know about this team, it's not like there's there Oh my god, they've inserted three hundred points into the lineup. Eleven point six is underperformed.
Speaker 4: Number one he number one center is out.
Speaker 1: He don't but but but not only is he out.
Speaker 9: We know how he's played, right, Like it's two there's two steps there, right, It's not like, oh Pederson, yeah he's out and he's just been such a heartbeat.
Speaker 1: He's been up and down. Let's look at this. It is it is him at the number one center underachieving at eleven six. You mentioned eleven six, and it is them trading. They're them trading their number two center because of the number two center couldn't get a with the number.
Speaker 10: One, number one center who's number one Miller was their number one miller was number one, but they had to trade he's underachieving at eleven six and they had to trade the other guy because he couldn't get along with this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was.
Speaker 4: On the list.
Speaker 9: I think it goes back further than that. Like I think you gotta look back to the offseason. Look, every I said this before the show, every move they made since the loss against Edmonton was a lesser move. Like they lost They lost Mike Yo as an assistant. They replaced him with the skills coach, no disrespect. They lost Ian Clark, they replaced him with the guy in Abbotsford, Right, they lost the door off they tried with deharn A in this combination that.
Speaker 8: They had it.
Speaker 4: They had that edge that people crave in this city. Last year during the playoffs, they had swagger, they had toughness.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but their downfall, but their downfall was not scoring and they didn't do anything to address that in the offseason and that that caused problems early on this year. How many times did we talk about them having no shot through two periods this year with Miller here with Peterson.
Speaker 4: They shot, they did, and the attempts or got off? How many ups locked? How many were missed? I maybe tomorrow I want to go on a rant about and I think this thing goes way back and when when this management group first got here. Well there's that too, uh before they started with the carnival wheel at the draft. We also want to talk about Rick Talktt pulling the goaltender. We'll do that as as the day goes on. Rick talk pulling Dempco with five minutes left down for nothing. Some people had a problem with that. Here's what else is coming up on the show, and we've got lots of response in the delaying top uh DTMZ Is it just me coming up in the eleven o'clock hour? Cheach John Garrett he joined us last year when we were doing the postgame shows during the playoffs. I don't think that's going to happen this time around. So John Garrett teach is going to join us just after eleven o'clock longtime Conduck analyst, NHL goaltender for Ranhill goaltender Big Ride the Quitter Guy later this hour, and we also also mentioned we've had a lot of requests for this and given the results, the result of last night and the Canucks where they stand draft lottery simulator, gotta do, we're gonna have time for that. I think. So they're done, They're done, it's over. You mentioned this farhand lalgy tsn next he was at the game last night. Donnie Dolly the team.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly the Team is supported by Ableauctions dot ca A Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely.
Speaker 1: Orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help. For a free confidential consultation on.
Speaker 4: Getting your business assets sold, Please email Sales at able Auctions dot ca dot sales at a b l E Auctions dot Ca. Thursday and all today's guests, including Farhand Standing by I brought to you by the vancouvera Giants. Giants coming off rick they won last day, coming out with three to two victory in Game three of their opening round playoff series against heavily favored Spokane. That was last night in Washington State series two to one for Spokane. A reminder if needed, Game six will be back at the Leec on Monday, April seventh at seven pm. Head to Vancouveragiants dot com to purchase your tickets. We haven't got so many submissions. It's hopping in the Delaney's OK tire and Langley and Aldergrove inbox day from Klona just before we get the four farhand. This is what I was hinting at in the first segment, and I've wondered about this for a while. But Dave from Colonna echoing my sentiments, well, not echoing because he didn't hear my sentiments. These are his. Where would the team be if they kept Horvat and traded Miller, Horvat and eleven six got along right again? That's Dave from Colonna. That's an interesting topic of discussion, Donnie.
Speaker 1: Not only did they get rid of Horvat, they signed two guys that don't like each other too long term deals. Yeah, they knew at the time they signed Miller that Miller and Patterson weren't getting along.
Speaker 4: Remember Brad richardson his broad he was on that team back then and he said, you got to do something about this. So it's been festering for a long time. So horrible. What did they do? They unload Horvat, who's having a very strong season. He'd be tops among Kinnock forwards if he was still with the Caducks, who's having a very solid season for the New York Onolanders for a hand Lawsey. He joins us now in the wake of the Canucks five nothing lost. Yeattle, thanks for doing this, sir. How are you?
Speaker 8: I am good, you know, And whenever you kind of bring that topic back up on the Horrorvat front, it warms my heart because we know that's when all of this started.
Speaker 3: And I remember everybody trying to dunk on.
Speaker 8: Me when you know, I discussed locker room issues and you know last year because the team made the playoffs, and and you know, we were at it this year and Rick, You're right, like they were this close, like this close to getting the Horvat deal done, this close, and then all of a sudden ultimatums. They pivoted quick and within a week JT. Miller was signed and later that year bo Horvat had had to go right.
Speaker 3: And you know it's.
Speaker 8: When when you talk about what this room could be now, uh, and just what the culture of this room could be. Now, I'll tell you what, Bull Horvat is a Rick Talcket type of player, and Rick Talkeett didn't get an opportunity to get to know him that well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, when the Canucks played them during that very successful road trip, Rick was talking about it. I thought Horvat stuck out like a sore thumb in a very good way. So for the Canucks at least, Okay, last thing was that just more about the talent on the ice than anything else.
Speaker 8: For Inn, No, they just they just know right, Like look, it's not like Seattle is loaded, it's not like Seattle's overly talented. I just think the Canucks, you know, subconsciously, I think they're trying to say the right things. I think they're to a point trying to do the right things. But I think they know right. And you know, when you're Seattle, you knew weeks ago and so now you've kind of decompartmentalized that and you know, put that aside. Now you're just playing right and you know, the whole thing about professionalism and all of that, you know, that's kicking in and they're doing what they can. And these are certainly empty calorie games for a team like that as well. But from a Canucks standpoint, I think right now they're going through the.
Speaker 3: Realization that it's over.
Speaker 8: And I think we've seen it for a couple of games, right like since that Columbus loss, and you know, Winnipeg they were outmatch that was a talent thing.
Speaker 3: But last night I think they know right.
Speaker 8: I mean, Quinn Hughes talked about the fact they're looking at the standings every single day and what that means is, whether you play or not, you're losing every day because Saint Louis is winning every day and the teams around you know, Minnesota is doing their part, Calgary is doing doing its part, and so you're losing every day whether you're playing or not. And then the realization of that issue. I think the last you know, maybe five games, the conduct will probably give us a much better effort because they'll have gone past that moment but right now they're right in the middle of that moments.
Speaker 4: What's your gut feeling. I've probably asked you this a million times, but that's what we do on this show. What's your gut feeling on Rick Talcket and his future?
Speaker 8: I think eventually they'll find some common ground and Rick will be extended, you know. I know the reports, you know, drantser initially and then and then I think Elliott after talking about how the Caducks are prepared to let Rick Talckett coach next year on the option, well that might be the case, but I don't think Rick Tockett's going to do that, right. I think it's naive to suggest he's just going to step in, you know, if they can't get to a reasonable place in terms of dollar term and future direction, and they still decide that, you know, we're gonna hold you in here for a year as a lame duck coach. I think Rick Talckett resigns and goes to television, right, Like they can prevent them from coaching elsewhere, but they can't force him to coach here. And so yeah, I think it's naive. So I think they're gonna find a way to extend him. But within that, I think the real conversations that have to happen are, what are you gonna do about this team?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 8: Because let's say it's a three year extension at four million a year For the sake of argument, clearly I'm not an agent, sorry, Rick, but you you know, the real questions are going to become, what are you gonna do with this roster?
Speaker 3: Right? What are you gonna do with Peterson? Is he back?
Speaker 8: If he's back, do I want to be back? And if he's back, what conditions? You know, not contractually but just kind of in other ways, say, look, you need to do this, this, and this to show up to training camp in order for us to believe we can get.
Speaker 3: The best out of you. Otherwise we're gonna trade you.
Speaker 8: And so those conversations have to be had with Rick Talkett, how are you gonna address the second line center? What can we do culturally? Because I think Rick Talkett has those concerns about where this organization and where this roster is at. So what can we do to fix a lot of different issues because if not, I don't if I want to be here? Right, And that's that's kind of what it comes down to you. I think Rick Talkin wants to be here, but he also wants to be told that some of the right things are going to happen so that he's in a position to have some success. And those are big questions beyond dollars in term.
Speaker 1: Well another big I don't get the feeling that Peterson is a talking type guy. I just don't get that feeling there. And he's locked up for seven more years after this season, you know, well, you know he's got a centerman locked up for seven more years. I don't get the feeling that's his type of guy that he could win with him. But that's another issue for another day.
Speaker 8: Well, like, it's probably the first issue Rick, right, Like, you know, before you sign, you need to know what you're going to do, and like, can the organization sit down with Peterson and say, look, you know, and I'm just spitballing ideas. I'm not suggesting this is the solution, but you're not going back to Sweden. You're staying here and you're working with our staff all off season and you're going to fix your preparational You need to commit to coming into camp up prepared at the level of my expectation, right if I'm Rick talking like, because they've they've had that concern. And Peterson talked about how last year the residual effects of his knee tendonitis and all of that affected his ability to prepare.
Speaker 3: Now what's he dealing with, right like? Upper body injury?
Speaker 8: You know, let's say for the sake of argument, he's reaggravated his rist injury.
Speaker 3: So you know, what's that going to look like? Is that going to affect his preparation this offseason?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 8: I want to know that I'm going to get the best out of him, and and the best may no longer be one hundred point guy, right Like, he may be one of those guys that signed the big contract and now he's less than motivated. And when I when we saw the low ebb of Petterson, you know, I've said I came on this show and said, I don't think he's ever going to be that guy. You know, he's probably he's a seventy point player in Vancouver. Maybe if he gets traded, he's an eighty point player elsewhere. Did the last two weeks before the injury show us that he could be more? Did the last two weeks before the injuries show. Rick talkt that maybe we can work this out between us. I don't know, but those conversations have to happen with Petterson. They've got to be letally sure. Like before his forty goal season, what was one of the biggest things.
Speaker 3: Brock Besser did.
Speaker 8: He changed his preparation, stopped playing in the Beauty League and just committed a little bit more to his fitness and came into camp in good shape and it led to a forty goal season. Like, can they make those demands of a player like Patterson? Because Rick Tawkin's entire ability to succeed here will start there with that player.
Speaker 1: If I was the Canocks out Sam Peterson to Bally or wherever that deck who's makeaway that worked out.
Speaker 3: With dumbbells with dumbbells and a trainer.
Speaker 1: Set up to Bally? Let him have a couple of weeks there, get chape. Okay, listen, The CFL has got a new commissioner, Stuart Johnson, comes from Television TSM president. They did this, old boss, what do you say, boss? Hold in a second. They did this a few years ago with the CBC guy and it didn't work out.
Speaker 4: Poor entirely. George entirely George Range, Jeffrey or George.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did this with Orange. It didn't work out.
Speaker 8: Yeah, But but Orange wasn't involved in in the CFL negotiations with the league.
Speaker 3: He had no idea how the CFL worked.
Speaker 8: Right, You know New York guy that came in and yeah, he had a bit of background at the CBC, but he wasn't an executive that had any idea of how the league operated, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is a new thing for the CFL.
Speaker 8: Because I do understands the league and its principles intimately. He knows who the guys are, he knows where the bodies are buried. He knows how this league operates. He certainly knows what TSN and Bell have to offer and how they could potentially do this. He knows the trends of the industry. One of the things that you know in his own career, he's not just TSN anymore. He became Bell's senior VP in charge of all content, right, so whether it was CTV News, whether it was Crave, you know a number of different platforms. So he really knows where the industry is headed. I think he's innovative. I think he's a really good leader.
Speaker 3: You know, I can.
Speaker 8: He's my former boss now, so I don't have to say this anymore. You know, even Randy and Brosie. Randy played in the league, but Randy was about twenty years removed from really having any kind of aunderstanding of the league business.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 8: He was involved in the markets and had good financial background. But Stuke comes into this with less of a learning curve and knowing, you know what the league has been trying for years, what has worked, what hasn't worked, the Genius deal.
Speaker 3: He's gotten to know the.
Speaker 8: New owners, so I think he can hit the ground running and is going to have some pretty good ideas of where to go next.
Speaker 4: And if it wasn't for Stewart, we wouldn't be here at Zeck. So we appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Well said.
Speaker 4: Well said, no, hold on, Fred, before you go here, you see kicking me off? Okay, no, no, no, before you go here, you said that you said on this show in the past that they should have kept more of that, and that Pederson and that Pederson isn't at one hundred point, I don't remember you saying those things.
Speaker 8: Come I have said this like when he was well, were you guys even on two years ago got trained, Yes on the Pederson thing when he was at his low ebb, like you know, two months ago.
Speaker 3: For the sake of argument, you.
Speaker 8: Know, I use the term that I think he can be a coach killer, and I wonder if he'll ever be able to function back to the level that he was at before in Vancouver, because there is noise around him, right, and a lot of it is self created, I believe, because he probably pays too much attention or has people around him that pay too much attention to social media and what's going on in that side of the marketplace. But so I didn't know if he'd ever get it back because it was thirteen months of just black hole thirteen months, So to me, that's pretty long sample size.
Speaker 3: And so could he be better elsewhere than he is here? Yes?
Speaker 8: Could he ever be to one hundred point player again, regardless of where he is, I don't know. And you know, when what we saw in the two weeks before the injury was positive. It wasn't one hundred point pd, but it was better than we'd seen for the previous thirteen months.
Speaker 3: But you know, I have questioned.
Speaker 8: Whether he could get it back to that level that player that we saw a year and a half ago, you know, during his hundred point season.
Speaker 3: Can he get that back here? I don't know. Can Rick Talcket pull that out of him? I don't know.
Speaker 8: You know, we saw a bit of a mia culpa and a and a maturing come to Jesus moment when he kind of admitted some things right uh, you know.
Speaker 3: To the media. And it's not again, it's not about the media.
Speaker 8: It's just his own ability to reflect and whether or not that leads to some some material change and his preparation and his approach to all of it.
Speaker 3: You know, we'll see. But I have said some of those things on this show. Darn right. I go back Henderson, look at the tapes. It's there. We're going we posted it.
Speaker 4: We're going into the Donnie and Dolly library. Okay, next week we'll confront you with.
Speaker 1: It, making up stuff as usual, making up stuff.
Speaker 3: Making up stuff. Look the receed the receipts can be saved.
Speaker 4: Nope, and we'll say hi to stew for you.
Speaker 8: Thanks for I don't know if I don't know if he'll come on your show.
Speaker 1: Damn right to you.
Speaker 4: Bill, Ryan doesn't want to have him on the show. That's a long story.
Speaker 3: Thanks, that's awesome. I'll see you guys. Letter.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it. Okay, we're way over time. Connacks is five nothing to the Kraken last night, we're going to introduce the pull question has to do with the Caducks. That's next, Donnie Delly the team one job.
Speaker 1: The Bayside Resort is a bootique luxury resort like no other. Nestled on the bluff above beautiful Parksville Beach, this beautiful ocean front property prides themselves on offering a uncompromising fusion of West Coast authenticity and bespoke luxury. Their guests have come to expect a truly personal experience where all senses are indulged. The setting is gorgeous, the memories last a lifetime. Whether you're looking for a panoramic ocean view or an on site fitness center, indoor outdoor pool, ocean front restaurant, lounge, high speed internet access, or the perfect place for your next corporate event, the Bayside ocean Front Resort the perfect choice any time of the year. It's called two five, zero, two four eight eight, triple three and fuck your state today.
Speaker 4: Wadling Dog poll question. Visit one of Victoria's favorite pubs, the Waddling Dog, where you could enjoy twenty taps and twenty screens. You're home for the Canucks in UFC. Come sit and stay at the Dog today.
Speaker 1: Rick all right, Ron, get her up the Waddling Dog pop pole question, and it is which season is the blip season for the Canucks last year or this season? And leading the way is last year fifty three percent, this season eight and twenty one votes already, So there you go. It was last year where they won the division, went to two rounds Game seven Edmonton out of the blue, and because they fired the coach not long before that season and everything went right last year, everything is going wrong this year. Donny.
Speaker 4: We have to think, given you know their history going back ten to eleven years, that last season was the blip season. Well, I am surprised it's this close. Well after the bubble.
Speaker 1: Year in Edmonton, they have really not done anything other than last year, you know.
Speaker 4: So, and the bubble situation, the Bubble Playoff was such such a strange situation. By the way, bull heard that was very good in that big time in that bubble a postseason. It was. It was really a blip. You look at this team's playoff history and it's inability to get into the playoffs since what since twenty fifth fourteen? Gil is getting let go. Incomes Benning and outgoes Benning. It comes this regime, it's bleak. So like I gotta think that, and I know the characters are changed, but it looks like last season was the one hundred and nine points.
Speaker 1: They won the division. They you know, two rounds of Game seven, that Game seven could have gone either way. Besser was missing, Dempko was missing, and they did most of the.
Speaker 4: Playoffs three two in that series against two.
Speaker 1: The Miller scores late in Game six and you know you're thinking only smokes roped to the Western Conference Final.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were again up it was Game five, but up up three to two in that in that series. Just it's just hard to believe. I think the one thing people haven't brought up a lot is that going into this season, I don't think there was any short and I think you were like this talking about this sort of thing. So as far ahead, people talking about the Canucks being Stanley Cup contenders. Elliott Elliott It wasn't just Al, it was me too. It was everybody.
Speaker 1: They're gonna win the Cup. Ryan was planning that they're gonna win the Cup. That's what people were saying in July and August, and at the very least Cup contender, tenders, at the very least win the division. Again, all these sports and at TSN guys, Canucks are going to do really well. Well, boy did they not.
Speaker 4: We talked in the first segment about being frightened to death, the Canuck organization and the Knuck fan base being frightened to death about what Quinn he was just thinking right now. His contract is up in a couple of years. He's put this team on his back and his shoulders and every other injured part of his body, and he has been he has been outstanding, one of the best players in the league. But he's a UFA in a couple of years, and you can't help but think he's looking around and thinking to himself, Man, this is a mess. I don't know if I want to be here anymore. And my brothers are with a new Jersey team that seems to be on the rise. They've had their injury problems this season. I get that, but there's all this all sorts of speculation. Quinn Hughes though, as it stands, captain of the Vancouver Canucks, and again he has been outstanding. This is him postgame last night after they five nothing lost to Seattle, talking about how the Canucks and coming off this sixth game road trip the Canucks cannot use and playing important game after important game, Cannucks cannot use fatigue as an excuse.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 12: I'm not going to comment on, you know, guys being mentally tired or physically tired. I think that you if you went around the league, everyone would say that they're mentally tired, if you know, especially the guys that played at four Nations. So I don't know how many guys on our team.
Speaker 1: We have.
Speaker 12: Lincoln and Impede and that's really it. So I don't think there should be any excuses.
Speaker 3: For that. Playing what it feels like that does game seven.
Speaker 12: It's that tense and intense, because that's just reality. I mean, if you ask Saint Louis Blues if they're mentally tired from playing Game seven's every other night trying to win. They won ten in arrows, so they're not using it as an excuse. They're just playing good hockey.
Speaker 4: That's a great clip, yeap, that, that's a great clip. It's you know, the games are coming fast and furious, after four Nations forever, you're playing important game after an important game, and the Blues seem to be fine with it, and you can argue about them being a better hockey team. But that that He's right. You can't use that as an.
Speaker 1: Excuse, Donnie. Not this July first, but the following July first. The Canucks can start talks with Hughes on a new deal this summer. In this offseason, they have no margin for air, because what they produce on the next year and how they do next year will play a big part in Quinn Hughes's decision to stay or goal. He's a UFA. He's worked hard all his life and if he decides he wants to go to New Jersey to play with his brothers, he wants to be closer to home in Detroit. He's a Michigan you know, Toronto guy. He grew up in the book Better this summer. These guys cannot have any day. Arnais sprongs what was the other one? Heiden's the margin for air because when they start next season, Quinn Hughes, the clock starts because it is next July. First he can signed an extension. Everything they do from here on forward has got to be with his keep an eye on him, and keep an eye on him and keep him long term.
Speaker 4: That well, okay, that includes Rick Tockett, Yes, and Quen. He's gone pro wresser quick.
Speaker 1: Quinn.
Speaker 4: He's has gone on record, he's the best coach he he's ever played for.
Speaker 3: Rick.
Speaker 4: If you're getting the sense that Quinn Hughes doesn't want to stick around, that is very frustrated.
Speaker 1: They'll know next your life.
Speaker 4: First you trade him, yep?
Speaker 1: Well, or dude, does he ask for a trade and just get it over with and move me on. I mean, it could happen both ways, but.
Speaker 4: I I it might be as strange as this may sound, that it might be the best thing for the organization. You might end up, you know, trading him under desperate circumstances. We're losing him, losing him for nothing, and then you start my long await for a rebuild.
Speaker 1: There also needs to be a limit to how much we're appeasing Quinn Hughes here. He's not a superstar. He's a franchise player. He's one of the top five players in the world. I'm not doubting the world. I'm not doubting any of that, Rick, But you'd be open to trading him? No, no, but so his his buddy's brock Besser.
Speaker 9: Like you say, like his buddy's brock bess Sure, great, but I'm not gonna give brock Besser eight.
Speaker 1: Years times eight million. No, I'm not saying that.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 9: No, but that's what I worry about because it's so much like oh yeah, talk it, you know.
Speaker 1: We worry because he says he's.
Speaker 9: His favorite coach and I was okay, but like what if you do these things and then the next year but next year's still a tire fire and he still goes, yeah, this ain't for me.
Speaker 1: This market, everything about it is just not right. I'm out.
Speaker 9: Well, now you've committed to these other pieces, Like I don't get me wrong, he's your captain. He's done more for this franchise more than any coach, any management, any player has done since he's been here.
Speaker 1: But you can't. I don't think you can trip all over yourself and say yes, I think everything you think he likes in the hope that he stays here.
Speaker 4: And I like you, if you get the feeling's unhappy, you have to be open to trading him. You mentioned he's a captain. We talked earlier they traded a captain Bullrvayeah. Looking back, they probably shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 9: Well, the the bottom line is, and maybe they'll never learn because they seemingly haven't. You can't keep doing these things if a guy's in the last year of his you know, and this this dominant conversation looms over an entire seats. You did it all year last year with Petterson before he signed. You've done it all this year we besser and talking, and you did it with Miller before he signed, And like the organization just continues to keep doing this and just you just that just surrounds your season.
Speaker 1: They knew at the time of the Miller signing and trading Horbat that Miller and Peterson were getting along. That's what kills. We've talked the shocking signed two guys that don't get along the long term.
Speaker 4: Deals and I know people, We've had a couple of people Delaney's in box saying, well, you guys are all for that that this guys, the management group is supposed to know more about hockey and know more about the room and what's going on on the ice than than we are.
Speaker 1: They knew that Petterson and Miller didn't get along, and they signed both extensions long term.
Speaker 4: And look look where they are now. Okay, John Garrett's going to join us at the top of the hour up next before the next big ride the Twitter guy. But I got some business to do. Our title sponsor all auctions April tenth, Abel will sit all industrial and construction equipment. I know you're excited about this. Rick three cold role forming machines, John Deere and cobarda lawn equipment, multiple sized storage buildings, commercial trucks, ammonia screw compressors, woodshop equipment, and a lot more. What was the name of your woodshop teacher, Woodward? Mister Woodward It was not No, it was mister Woodward, woodshop teacher. Yeah, he was a mister Woodward. I totally remember him. He was a woodwork teacher. Everything sold to the highest bit or April tenth. For more info on this industrial and construction equipment auctions, go to able Auctions dot CA. A A B L E Auctions Dot C, A, Big Ryan, Nex, Donnie Dolling, the team on check.
Speaker 1: Our podcast is brought to you in part by birds Nest Properties, Lower Mainlands leader in rental property management for finding a tenant, to collecting rents and property maintenance. Birds Nest Properties delivers five star property management services with the reviews to prove it. Birds Nest Properties your Vancouver property managers who take care of everything so you don't have to own a rental property. Give the folks that Bird's Nest property as a call today six oh four two six to zero, double nine, double five, or visit birds Nest Properties dot C.
Speaker 4: Just I had a big ride the Twitter guy Delaney's okay tying Langley and Aldergrove inbox Dave from Couch and never mind Miller orbat Where would the Canucks be with the Lindon rebuild right now again? Dave from a Couch not a Donnie and Dolly don Taylor rebuild. Trevor Linden rebuilt, which reportedly he was all in favor of Big Ryan.
Speaker 1: He wanted the rebuild and Benning said, give me two years, I'll turn it around. Who do you think the owner picked how you're playing?
Speaker 4: How is you with the standings? Not Lindon?
Speaker 1: How long does two years go on for?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: Exactly every two years? Benny kept saying two more years, two more years, two more years. The owner kept loving.
Speaker 9: It big on the Twitter. Guy, I brought to you by Surrey Mitsubishi. All this month, Surrey Mitsubishi making moves and bolstering their lineup with unbeatable deals. Maybe they're doing a better job doing that than the Canocks. At least a brand new Mitsubishi for ninety nine dollars a week, finance for only one hundred and nineteen dollars a week, also no payments for ninety days and three thousand dollars of her market value for any trade. Visit Surrey Mitsubishi in store one three eight two zero one O Fourth Avenue in Surrey, Surrey Mitsubishi built in Japan, made for Cannocks.
Speaker 4: One more thing from the Delaineys. Paul and En dub Rick. I went to New Wes Senior Secondary. You're mistaken. Mister Woodward was a pe teacher and a socials teacher. Mister McCarthy and mister McDonald they worked the woodshops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was mister McDonald, I got Molyn Woodward mixed up. Hey, listen, how do you get those mixed? Going back to nineteen eighty one? You know I'm getting old. So who is this? Paul Paul's correct. Mister Woodward was the pee teacher. Mister McDonald was my woodh would would would work, no woodwork shop teacher. It was McDonald, Paul's ray, Paul's ray.
Speaker 4: And mister McCarthy, you don't forget him too.
Speaker 1: Mister McCarthy was a good teacher as well. All the teachers. My teachers didn't like me. Most of them wonder why how do you do it?
Speaker 4: Will work?
Speaker 1: That's after six years. They were happy to see you graduated. Get out of there.
Speaker 9: H First of all, I want to mention this, Donnie loves this when we do this. The white Caps last night one one draw. I guess that whos in the Conca CALF Champions Cup.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 9: It was unfortunate that Brian white shocker he got the white Caps goal. They almost got another one the white Caps did in the death in extra time. Uh, Whuma's getting that road goal is going to be big for them. So the next leg of this Conca CAFF champions Cup is going April the ninth, next Wednesday, back in Mexico. The winner that advances out of this we talked about this. The winner that advances will go on to face either La f or into Miami FC. So I mean again, the white Caps, they're a bit of an uphill climb going to Mexico, but they've done it before, they've gone down there and they've won. So we'll see what happens in the next Like next Wednesday, they're back in action. MLS wise Saturday night, they take on Colorado six thirty pm at BC Place.
Speaker 1: So good effort for the white Caps. Just a little bit, a little bit uh not not what they.
Speaker 4: Came up well, then kept short. They came with the draw. Yeah, rolled gold.
Speaker 1: Over the That's that's the thing. That's the thing.
Speaker 4: Warriors. By the way, host Albany Friday Country Night. Yeah, wear your chaps, country, I mean nothing else.
Speaker 1: Cowboy hat yeah yeahs John Wayne sure, okay, moving on here. And to make fun of John Wayne. He was making fun of Joe oh, I know, but he just brushed it aside. John Wayne was the best of all time. I don't doubt that.
Speaker 9: Eh, they don't named it. He was so big they named an airport after in Anaheim. Yeah, they don't make westerns really anymore. I guess Yellowstone is a Western. Yeah, but that's a show, not a movie.
Speaker 4: Current Western. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, the show's current, but it's sah I watched four episodes. I was bored stiff.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll get to our good pal Al Chris Manson On. He's the expert. Westerns are great young guns just coming out. They're making another.
Speaker 4: One unforgiveness of outstanding.
Speaker 1: Oh Gene Hackman.
Speaker 4: Be done good to bad in the Italy. Oh cool, Okay, hold on.
Speaker 1: Moving on here. Last night big news as as that's my transition for today.
Speaker 9: If you missed the end of yesterday's show, Donnie mentioned number five Orange and Dolly what.
Speaker 1: Was very excited by that. And by the way, the folks at number five did respond to us on Twitter saying, you know, they've got those front row seats available for you, guys, row front row, front row at the number five Orange.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you've been there before.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: In the eighties we used to hop in the Impaula from New West and make the trek.
Speaker 4: Out hopping in the Poula. What does that mean exactly?
Speaker 1: Well, that, Donny. The Impala was big, like there was chairman car, the car, the car College. Not on the Paula the animal, but the car. We'd hop in the car Paula Animal, Paula.
Speaker 4: It's like a gazelle.
Speaker 1: The horse.
Speaker 4: It's like deer. I never heard of that. You don't know what an impula is, No, I've never heard of this.
Speaker 9: I thought you were mixing up at Lama, to be honest, when you first said that the impula in the eighties was like the love boat.
Speaker 4: It was Huget like forty guys, like a Pontiac Parisiana, same thing, you know, Block Long. Yeah, I'm gonna look up in Paula. Do you think? Okay?
Speaker 9: Last night, uh Ovechkin in Carolina last with the Capitalist gets one goal closer Chaker.
Speaker 1: He got it from his office and shocker, they were on the power play when he ripped this thing home. So one goal closer.
Speaker 9: He's three away now from breaking way Gretzky's record. I saw ted Ley Owtsis was in the crowd last night to the Capitols owner Gary Beman in the crowd Ovechkin's family.
Speaker 1: I didn't see Wayne.
Speaker 9: I know now he's supposed to be traveling with him as he gets closer to breaking the record, he better be traveling starting the next game, because now a hat trick that's with Then.
Speaker 4: Why don't you just you advised Wayne gretz He had some advice for him during the Four Nations and now you have more?
Speaker 1: Why are you just Oh no, are you not a little surprise? Are you not a little surprise?
Speaker 4: He was a notable absence in that suite.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I just would have assumed, because like he could do something nuts, maybe he could have gone four goals in a game or something.
Speaker 4: He's busy. Yeah, well, Gorny Howe was there when Wayne was breaking his record.
Speaker 9: Wayne's probably in the Oval office advising the president. Oh wow, here's a stat from Sportsnet host David Amber.
Speaker 1: How about this.
Speaker 9: Gretzky fourteen eighty seven, that's the amount of games eight hundred ninety four goals. Okay, fourteen eighty seven, Ovechkin.
Speaker 1: Fourteen eighty five.
Speaker 9: For games eight hundred and ninety two goals and three away from breaking he could break his record, Wayne's record in less games.
Speaker 4: I'm not like, but you could from anybody, including you younger folk like you. I don't want to have anybody comparing O to Gretzky. I know you can't stand Gretzky because you know, apparently his politics don't match up with yours. There's no comparison between the two players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right. Ovechkin's way more impressive. Go look at Gretzky's assist Tom Yeah, look at the goaltenders wing. Yeah, I'm not talking to goals think that, are you kid?
Speaker 4: It's not even close? Ryan, Ryan, take a look. Are you like you're looking so bad?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not.
Speaker 9: You are right, it's way harder to score now than it was back in the eighties.
Speaker 4: But I'm talking about as a player as a whole.
Speaker 9: But I'm talking statistically with this goal record, this goal record, can I finish?
Speaker 3: Wayne?
Speaker 4: Gretzky has more assists than any other player has points. It's one of the most impressive artistics in the world of sports, not just hockey.
Speaker 1: But I'm not talking about that in.
Speaker 4: Between the two players.
Speaker 1: But we're not talking.
Speaker 9: We're not talking about that. I'm talking about his goalscoring record. His goal scoring record will be way more impressive than Wayne's. He's on the It's harder to score when goal look at the days. Hold it go look at the ten worst teams in the NHL right now and tell me going into Chicago and San Jose is not easy to score goals.
Speaker 4: Come on, I will give you this. Ovech Kind was part of an era where the the checking was a lot tighter. Yes, but back in the eighties you also had and I know he had Samenco and mc surley around the game, but it was it was a war.
Speaker 9: Sure was more physical game, but I mean you look at a lot of the highlights of the goaltenders that Wayne Gretzky was scoring on. I'm sorry, it's way harder. He was obviously a dominant athlete of his time.
Speaker 4: I guess I'm talking about for okay goals, it's arguable over all, not close.
Speaker 9: Sure again, I mean you guys bring up the points. I mean, that's gonna be. That's an untouchable wreck. Great goaltender, John Garrett, he's next to Donny No Gretzky the team on Check.
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 1: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast and on social media.
Speaker 4: We'd love to get involved with your company called two five oh eight eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at checkmedia dot ca. It is Thursday, and all of our guests today, including John Garrett, standing by, brought to you by the Vancouver of Giants. Giants coming off the three too upset win Game three of their opening round playoffs series against Spokane last night. Spokane heavily favored rick series two to one for Spokane. A reminder if necessary game six, we'll be back at the LEEC Monday, April seventh, seven pm at the Vancouver Giants dot com to purchase your tickets. Kind of exclues five nothing last night's Seattle at Rogers Arenaver joined out to talk about that. Another Matters Hockey by Cheech John Garrett, longtime hockey analyst, longtime National Hockey League goaltender. How are you, sir, I'm good.
Speaker 13: I'm good.
Speaker 4: Yes, that.
Speaker 5: It's amazing the Giants one because after Game two I thought, okay, they're completely over the shots. In Game two there's like sixty against and they've just got smoked.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and then they go down and win.
Speaker 4: So they did have a good third period that in that game too, so that obviously they built on that, but heavy underdogs in that series. Ryan was saying something about a team counter to Jersey or yes.
Speaker 5: Here we are, and the tariffs and all that kind of stuff. The stock market just crashing, all that sort of stuff. I can't remember which I was World Championships three.
Speaker 13: Times so.
Speaker 4: Very much.
Speaker 1: What year?
Speaker 13: What year that one was? I think that was eighty one, but I'm not sure. Anyway, beautiful, it's old, it's old.
Speaker 4: Those are under I remember those uniforms. Those are underrated Team Canada uniforms with a multi colored leaf. That must have been I kind of liked it.
Speaker 5: I remember in nineteen seventy seven, Mark Napier and I were the token wha guys and the World Championship, and so I got over there.
Speaker 13: They got my name spelled wrong in the back.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 13: Oh, you know you're a start when well.
Speaker 4: John, but you've got company. I remember the Rangers misspelling Gretzky on the back of his ninety nine jersey for one game. Oh my goodness. Man, Hey, speaking of which, did you ever think you'd see anybody? And I don't know what your experience was against Wayne Gretzky. But but did you ever think you'd see anybody break his goalscoring record, which is going to happen. No, No, And.
Speaker 5: The era that Gretzky play in and all those scores that were ridiculous and the Oilers getting four hundred goals a year and.
Speaker 13: It was amazing.
Speaker 5: I mean, Paul Coffee, he was as a defenseman, breaking Bobby Ors records and all that sort of stuff, and I never thought that it would happen. But it just shows the durability and the talent of Alvechkin. And it's just amazing how strong and how he has been able to keep going year after year after year, and this year with a broken leg back back in six weeks or less than six weeks, and just continued on. He is an amazing, amazing athlete.
Speaker 4: What was your history like against Wayne john.
Speaker 13: Well? Wha like?
Speaker 5: I played against him when he was in Indianapolis, and he's the skinny, lit little kid. And I remember Glenn Smer was our coach and he goes, oh, look at that little weasel. It's pretty hard for him to score. He's got to stick down his throat. And it was back in those days and you just you couldn't get him. The great great players just have that knack and the ability to avoid being hit as much. And and Gretzky was just absolutely incredible because they had the great surrounding cast too, no matter where he went, but especially in Edmonton that you couldn't just concentrate on on Gretzky, and because Curry would score or coffee or taking or whoever.
Speaker 13: It was just they were so good. But he was amazing.
Speaker 5: And then alex Obatchkin just continues to go and Okay, he's not he doesn't have that power and the speed that he used to, but he's still so strong. And now the game has changed where you can't just hack and whack and cross check him at every opportunity, so he can use his size and strength and angle to the net and do all those sorts of things that enabled him to score.
Speaker 13: And you look at the goal he got last night.
Speaker 5: I mean there he is from the from the blue line and just a cannon and Freddie Anderson was having a good game and it didn't look like he was screened on it. It just he just blew it by him. And look at that shot, Anderson's going across him. One timer, and he's so good at that. No matter where the pass is, and that one's see where it is. It's a little bit behind, it's not really in the wheelhouse. But he's so strong and his timing is so good that he was able to drag that one almost off his back foot and drill it by.
Speaker 13: And he's done that over and over and over again. I remember you'd go.
Speaker 5: Into the meetings and you talk to the coach and say, well, you know, oh, you're playing Washington to night, and you know where he's going to be, and.
Speaker 13: How are you going to defend against him? And they say, well, you.
Speaker 5: Know, we'll lean that way. But you can't just have one it's five on four as it is. You can't just have one guy go over stand by him. So all he needed was a little bit of space, and time after time after time, and you'd see him over there and then face off dot and the pass would come across and it'd be in the net.
Speaker 1: Hey, John, knowing what that your Demko has been through this year, He's been through a lot in the last twelve months you've seen him play. He has come back. What are your thoughts With a good summer off, can he get back to the old Vesna guy.
Speaker 5: Well, I think he can, I really think he can. But it's been such a year of turmoil, and not just for Thatcher but for the team. And you know what he's like, he's a real cerebral guy. He and goalies, they say, you know, goalies are it helps if you're a little crazy. And you look at there's guys at the other end of the spectrum where you say, like a Nanny belfour or a grand few or guys that you know they're not going to be in the mensa club, but they're goalers.
Speaker 13: You know, they're they've got.
Speaker 5: Idiosyncrasies and their goalies and they continue on and and but Thatcher is one of those guys that he's a real thoughtful guy. And last night and so they get shut up. How do you blame the goalie when we get shut out? But he's usually so good and he doesn't let in bad goals. But last night there was a couple of I'm watching him, they woke and it's almost like he's overthinking it. He knows his team's having trouble of scoring, he knows that he's coming back and and they're counting on him to make the difference. But now, and you watched the way the team played last night, and there's always that first game back from a long trip, and they say, but they had the extra day, and you think, okay, you know, and they're playing Seattle, who was not one of the elite teams in the league, and you think, okay, they're going to be all right, especially this one, and they're starting.
Speaker 4: A home stand.
Speaker 5: You never know, but they just it almost looked like they had resigned themselves to okay. And Rick talk talked about it, and he goes, we're really going to be able to see who's all in for this last seven or eight games, and they just there wasn't very many people all in in that game last night.
Speaker 1: Hey, John, there is a possibility talk it might not be back. They got to work out a new deal. You want to see him back.
Speaker 13: Oh, I'm a real.
Speaker 4: Rick Talking fan.
Speaker 13: I'd love to see him back.
Speaker 5: I think he's a really good coach, and I think that in today's game, there's a fine line between.
Speaker 13: Having control of the team and and just being a good coach.
Speaker 5: And you look at Toronto there year after year, the one hundred points and all this kind of stuff and Sheldon Keith, he didn't have control of the room. And and now you've got Craig Berub in there, and and Craig when he was in Saint Louis, he had control of the room. A good coach with control of the room and control of the players, and it's hard to do. And I think Marty Saint Louis as it in in Montreal. I think he's he's, you know, longtime former player and all this kind of stuff. And Rick has been as a player up and down in all different roles and to scorer, a tough guy, all all the things that he did as a player, and he carries it over into the coaching and he can empathize with the stars, and he can empathize with the keif for Sherwood's of the world. And I think that that's one of his big strengths. But that being said, you see what had happened this year and last year was last year an anomaly or I really think that Rick is going to take a long, hard look at it and see and coach of the ear and all sorts of accolades for Rick, He's going to.
Speaker 13: Be able to pick and choose.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and.
Speaker 13: Does he look at this team.
Speaker 5: And say, and I've heard you guys talk about, well, all the defense that are signed long term and then Quinn and so the supporting cast for Quinn. Are those guys that good that they deserve the long term and the and the money that they got that they're going to be Like I look at the at the Canucks and Okay, there's Quinn. Now who's number two? Who is your second best defense? I think that's yeah, well, if you're playing with Quinn, it really helps, it really really helps. I wouldn't look at him as the number two guy.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't think they have a number two guy. And then three and four, who do you pair? If you pair anybody with Quinn, they're gonna look like a number two guy. Al Sims played with Bobby Or one year. You remember that, Donnie, you'll remember that. And then he got he got traded to Harford and I played with him in Hartford and all we got Al Simms and he was plus fifty or something playing with Bobby Or and then.
Speaker 13: He was like minus fifty played with.
Speaker 4: Remember Bobby are with Dallas Smith? Uh, you're you're off to Salt Lake City.
Speaker 13: No, I'm not. I haven't got spitched. I'm now doing the Lake.
Speaker 5: I'm now doing the late game in Calgary, Calgary in Vegas. I was kind of looking forward because I haven't seen the new building in salt Lake. You'll like this, Donnie. I played in salt Lake in the Western against Salt Lake, but I was with the Portland Bucker Bruise and we mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know it was in charge of scheduling at sports Net. I think that's why he didn't get the assignment. Al Simms, Thanks for this.
Speaker 5: I liked that. Al ended up being a very good coach. He coached in the minors and then but he just was very good. And I mean once Mark hal got hurt and we had already and Fred Arthur and Larry Drew and we had just a Norm Barnes, Norm Barnes till he was pretty good.
Speaker 13: Yeah, but there's another guy. It's who you played with.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The sad part about all this, John, as I remember all those names. Thanks for this, Jeech. Great to have you on. We'll get you back soon, right, John Garrett, who may or may not be joining us in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Oh he's the best, very very much.
Speaker 4: Missing him on the games absolutely uh, we're missing the time we're supposed to hit on this segment. We'll take a break. Update the poll question the next Donny Dolly the team on check Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 2: The team is supported by able Auctions dot c A closing your business we can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 1: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner. Line events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able auctions dot ca dot sales at ab l E auctions dot Ca. Our thanks to Cheach. Visit one of Victoria's favorite pums. As we update the waddling dog pole question if we're talking about the doc Joh where you can enjoy twenty taps and twenty screens your home for the Caducks and UFC commes, sit and stay at the dog Today. Cannucks lose five nothing last night to the Avalanche at home to Anaheim on Saturday. Is their playoff hopes flyaway.
Speaker 1: Ryn get her up the wadling dog pop pole question. Then it is which season is the blip season for the Canucks last year or this year? And the leading the way is last year. Fifty seven point three, almost a thousand votes. It's hopping, it's popping, it's not stopping. And last year they win the division over one hundred points. Guys in the top ten scoring second Round Game seven, Abington almost made the Western Conference Final. But everyone says last year was.
Speaker 4: The blip, and it's hard to argue with that, although again I'm surprised that this season has this many this many votes. Abbotsford.
Speaker 1: Last night reck oh boy, Abitsburg beat San Diego six to three. They've won an American Hockey League best eleven straight wow. And they also clinched a berth in the playoffs last night. Tolapedo this guy tell you right now, Donnie, this guy fifth five straight wins, Tolapelo twenty three saves last kit and Manny Molultro winning with three of his top four goal scorers in Vancouver, not in Absburg in Vancouver. Man he's doing a great and the Abbitsburg's at ten and zero with Jujar Kahira in the lineup.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you you made this point. You were saying that they're getting and they are. They're getting a big test Saturday and Sunday. Leval Levell Montreal's farm team, number one team in the American Hockey League in the overall standings. So Abbotsford, the Abbitsford Cannucks host them Saturday. You sound like, look like you're surprised. Saturday and Sunday, no measuring stick.
Speaker 1: Lavell is in town. Montreal Canadians farm team. They're number one, and the Montreal Canadians have a bright future, as you know, Don They got a lot of young kids on their roster, but a lot of year.
Speaker 4: The present looks pretty good too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So anyways, the Habs a farm team in town, number one team in the American League. Go out there and check the red hot on a heater like no, ever, we haven't seen a heater like this, says mister Woodward.
Speaker 4: And then the Western Hockey League playoffs.
Speaker 1: All right, Quinn put this together. I'm not going to read it word for word because it's like ten paragraphs. But Quinn, your son who's here, has done a great job of looking at the Western Hockey.
Speaker 4: He's just ripped into it. You said it's too long.
Speaker 1: No, it's if you want, I can read it all. I'll be here till Christmas. But what I want to do is paraphrase what Quinn said and wrote. Giants won in Spokane last night, but Spokane still leads O series two one.
Speaker 4: What was this core?
Speaker 1: Three to two? Portland winter Hawks beat Prince George five four in double overtime. I'm surprised that this one really am winter Hawks are up three games to one. That's catching me off guard winter Hawks. Mike Johnson, good guy, former Canuck, we know him. Victoria Royals first loss last night, five four, and try Cities. They'll try and close it out the series in Game five intri City on Friday. And there you go. There's a Victoria right there. So Quinn with the Western Hockey League update.
Speaker 4: Quinn's going to join us in the next segment. James Patrick, of course, friend of the show, head coach of the Victoria Royals, also a good guy. Yes, back to the Vancouver Canucks for a second, just recapping what we talked about in the first segment, cracking over the Knucks five nothing and I know the cracking. We're missing players. I know there are eleven points behind the cors cox these injuries, and Frehand talked about mindset like not not necessarily checked out, but just I think they realized their fate and maybe that's showing up on the ice. Just I'm watching that game last night and it just seemed like there was a big difference in skill level last night, even though it was the kracking.
Speaker 1: It was the kracking, and they were missing two guys, two top six guys, and they still five nothing. I mean, let's be honest. Dempko, you know, is probably gonna want two goals back for sure, and John said that the two two goals back for sure and the first one right through the leagues. So Dempko probably wants to have some goals back from the last night for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And I think they're at a stage right right now, and again eight points out with seven games left up against Anaheim at home on Saturday, where just the mood of the team and the talent that's there with the injuries, Dempko has to play out of his mind for them to forget about making them pack, for them to have any chance of winning a game. And that wasn't the case last night. That thatcher. I'm sure I will tell you that. By the way, I should mention draft lottery simulator. We're a bit over here. We'll rune it tomorrow. Yeah, okay, now let's think given the knock situation, we've had a lot of calls for it in the Delaneys. Yep, we'll do that tomorrow. You've got some business.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, look at this. Absolutely. Check out the largest selection of sports memorabilia, autographed items, trading cards, and collectible games of Western Canada at Pastime Sports stop by any of pastimes four locations. That big one coming up Saturday, April fifth, National Hockey League Car Day. There's going to be sales on select upper deck trading cards, draws for autograph memorabilia, and free giveaways.
Speaker 4: Details on this.
Speaker 1: Event, upcoming signings and card drops are available at pasttime Sports dot CA and all of their social channels. Laptop Yeah, front of the laptop.
Speaker 9: Jonathan Karamaki signed puck card courtesy Ricking the Ridge, Dolly Wall's favorite.
Speaker 1: That's all I picked it. That's I tried to keep him happy. Tony Tanty Yeah, and he's not in the Ring of Honor. Ring of Honor, which is just like I mean, the owner needs to wake up. This guy scored. Well, who's picking the who's picking the ring of honor? We don't know that, Okay, so is it? Who's picking it? I want to know who's picking it? That guy Tony ten You get the car back up. This guy did nothing but score forty goals every year in the eight Tony's on the committee, yeah, and forty goals plus every year on crappy smite Division Canuck teams. This guy is who I was in road hockey and we used to fight to be Tony Tanty right there out of the Ring of Honor, right there, right there, you know, in how seriousness.
Speaker 4: Yes, you look at the all time Canuck scorers, he's right there. He's right there.
Speaker 1: You know, there's some guys that are in there that.
Speaker 4: But Ryan will tell you that it's not that big a deal because Tony Tanny played a lot of his career in the eighties and nobody was any good back then. A big deal if he had a lot of points. Yeah, that's right, Retzky. Not that impressive according to Ryan.
Speaker 1: But to score on weak teams is a big thing.
Speaker 4: Ryan.
Speaker 1: It's a big, big thing because you're not.
Speaker 4: You don't have you did that in road hockey.
Speaker 1: Ah, I was great in road hockey, the best hands. Everyone picked me first. I was the first guy to go. You know how you picked teams. I was the first, first overall pick every time. But listen, I had great hands. But Tony Tanty it played on weak teams with sick here, Ricky Okay, let's go, Let's go. Let's go. Enough for Tony TANTYTMC.
Speaker 4: Next for your road hockey career, Donny Della the team on check.
Speaker 1: House the Golf the premiere destination for indoor golf in the Lower Mainland. Elegantly designed and powered by industry leading track Man technology, the facility is home to six golf simulators, offers hourly bookings to hone your game, entertain friends and family and those clients in the perfect social setting. Take your next event to another level, whether it's a birthday, staff party or at quiet event. House of Golf is built the host groups of all ages and for any occasion. Cater however you see fit and let us welcome you to the great indoors. Head to House of Golf dot CAA for more information. That is h Aus of Golf dotsa. Hey, it's eleven thirty three on a Thursday morning. Donnie Doni on check TV. No time for DTMZ brought to you by the world famous Whisper Golf Club. Go see big Al out there. Great track, Great track.
Speaker 4: DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design was the golf Club excited to announce online t time bookings now open for any time during twenty twenty five. And a reminder if you're an organizer of a group of twelve or more, now is the time to lock in your tea times is primetimes filling up fast, whistergolf dot com, forward slash groups for more information. Okay outdated. We took a while to get around to it, but the fifty fourth Junior Awards took place Saturday at Rogers Arena. Your host, patriotic Friend of the Show, Michael Bubley.
Speaker 3: We're one of a.
Speaker 14: Kind, we are beautiful, we are the greatest Nason on Earth, and we are not for sale.
Speaker 4: As always the third time hosting, I believe and always Michael did a great job. Friend of the Show. We got to get him back on soon. Lord knows what he's thinking of what's going on with the Cannocks of these Days. Calgary's Tate McCrae won four Juno's Artist Album, Pop Album and Song of the Year. Group of the Year of Ryan. I know you're a fan of these people. The Beaches some forty one inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: The Beaches Are Good came.
Speaker 4: Up with their final performance did some forty one and Marie also received a special Lifetime Achievement Award. Yeah she's good too, Yeah, no doubt, absolutely love that snowbird. Yeah all right, April third, eight birthdays, The line is set at seven. And by the way, uh, Quinn Taylor, my son here joining. He's gonna help us.
Speaker 1: Alway, good kid.
Speaker 4: What did you think of the conduct performance last night? Quinn?
Speaker 15: Well, like I said it to you yesterday, is like, if you look at that roster, if they were to play an eighty two game season, they'd be a lottery team. So I just have no surprise that they like lose that bad and.
Speaker 4: A lot of the smartest thing anyone said in a lot of a lot of.
Speaker 1: I now know you steal so much from him, it's so obvious, you know what, No, it's true. He tells me it too.
Speaker 4: I say something every member of your uncle's telling and the cousins telling me the same.
Speaker 1: You use that. I got no, but you actually tell me you use it though.
Speaker 4: I love this. Moving on eight birthdays line set at seven by pork Chop Louis butcher Shop and Casino in beautiful Pincher Creek, Alberta. There's pork Chop Louis. It's a caricature rock and roll. Here we go. Flyers goalie from Montreal won the Cup, the Vesda Trophy and Constant My Trophy in both seventy four and seven. Undrafted defenseman born in Perry Sound, Ontario. During the eighty one eighty two season, Canucks called him up from Dallas. No Neil Bellen, Yes, American actors suspicious? Who doesn't know Neil Bellin? That's his era?
Speaker 1: Give me a break.
Speaker 4: American actor, comedian and singer. Former SNL cast member. He played Axel Foley in Beverly Teddy Murphy. Okay, now it's getting suspicious.
Speaker 1: Who doesn't know Eddie Murphy? Are you kidding me? Beverly Hills cop. I went to the theater to watch it. That's like ten times.
Speaker 4: A lot of people did American actor played Adam Maitland in Beetlejuice, married at one time to Kim Beazin.
Speaker 1: Mike Keaton, Michael Keaton.
Speaker 4: Did it Trump impersonation on SNL.
Speaker 1: Mike got that.
Speaker 4: Late legendary oscar winning actor. He played Vito the Godfather. Also also starred in On the Waterfront, No a street car named Desire, Last Tango in Paris, and The Freshman. Often considered to be the greatest act Marlon Brando. Is that Mike again? Derek Dere American and crazy actor American and I mean that in a good way. American actor playing Ben Wyatt in Parks and Recreation. Played Derek and step brothers. He's a star of severance. Adam Scott, Adam Scott, Adam Scott, Eric is on fire, Quinn, you're sleeping here actress? Actor? Well, I'm used to that actor who played Niles Crane in Fraise.
Speaker 1: Niles is the British guy, the British guy.
Speaker 4: No, also starting you might not be. I don't think he is.
Speaker 1: He's British.
Speaker 4: Also starred in Glenn Gary Glenn Ross that departed, not.
Speaker 1: Kilmer the other guy.
Speaker 4: You know what's not that wrong? I've got you know what I've mixed up, my h Mike that Glenn Gary Glenn Ross is the Alec Baldwin clue. But the actor who played Niles Crane.
Speaker 1: T HP Darren David, David Hyde, Pearce, David Hyde, Peerce Derek is just dominating. That's googling. That's googling right there.
Speaker 4: Do we have a prize for him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's googling. There's a shirt. There's a check shirt over here.
Speaker 4: Okay, you guys got to get this actress from Vancouver played Robin Sharbatsky Kobe of others. How did you get that?
Speaker 1: Because she's from she's from us and she's uh, she was in Marvel.
Speaker 4: What was she in Marvel? Maria Hill?
Speaker 1: She's the agent and the Avengers. Yeah, the agent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't realize she was from Vancouver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm hip, I'm with it. She's been in a ton of carnut games. Colby.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, all right. You know what, I feel bad for Quinn because a lot of this was older stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, eight eight? Why don't cheat then?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Then again he did rip into me earlier in the segment. All right, are you learning a lot coming down here?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, sure well not to do your enough of a smart as you might be able to take over from Ryan the late Billy Joe Arroyal and by the way, Is It Just Me is coming up Billy Joe Royal Wreck born this day in nineteen forty two is going to play us out May sixty five and the album of the same name. This is Billy Joe and Down in the Boondocks on check Solid Television Solid Gold on a BC Thursday morning.
Speaker 13: Down into.
Speaker 1: Surrey Mitsubishi built in Japan, made for Canucks. All this monthly is a brand new Mitsubishi for just ninety nine dollars per week, or finance for only one hundred and nineteen dollars per week and don't make any payments for ninety days.
Speaker 4: Also bring in any trade and Surrey Mitsubishi will give you three thousand dollars above market value.
Speaker 1: Visit Surrey Mitsubishian store at thirteen eight twenty one hundred and fourth Avenue in Surrey. Check out the legendary Japanese reliability built to handle Canadian roads.
Speaker 5: Is It Just Me?
Speaker 4: Lots of submissions, Delaney's Okay, Tirre and Langley and Alder then box Rick all right.
Speaker 1: Is it just me Caducks management has failed Rick Talcket. They keep bringing in guys that aren't his kind of players and let his type go if you want to him to stay. Alvin's got to go, Tom and Vick says, get rid of the GM and keep talk.
Speaker 4: No shortage of people that I run into that feel that there was a major mistake made. And I know he hasn't had a great season in Boston, but failing to keep the kid as the door. But did a lot of people have said that they made an equal offer to the door of the same as Boston, but they waited his side on the Bruce.
Speaker 1: They waited too long, and they took too much time on Gensel and then that's what the problem was, and he bolted to Boston.
Speaker 4: David Cedar, Is it just me that thinks the most important playoff race is the battle between Winnipeg and Dallas to see who wins the Central and avoids Colorado. That Central is crazy. The Jets on top and in first place, Stars are four points behind, and the a have ninety six points, likely finishing in third. But do you want to meet them in that first round and they've loaded up too.
Speaker 1: You watch Donnie every year. So many good teams are out in Round one. It's just crazy, is it just meet? But very disappointed to see the team put in that type of effort last night. The team is much softer than last year and not Talcket style. He should follow the money this offseason. Dave Pratt from yel tal Davis I said to text it it's Dave Pratt with air quotes. I think, yeah, it's not the real day Pratt. It's just somebody saying they're day Pratt.
Speaker 4: Boom. Yeah, all right, Unsigned sign those texts and emails, folks, I want to give you credit Unsigned.
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: But Tanty and bert Oh should be in the ring?
Speaker 1: I agree on uh Bertuzzi. I think he should be in there.
Speaker 4: The numbers are there, yeah, the number everything, and you know the one infamous moment with the Todd keeps him out of the ring. I would, I would think, but I'll never forget him coming back to Vancouver and you know, standing ovation for him, he got all all is forgiven and he was an outstanding player on a team that I don't think, not a lot of playoffs success there. But I always give that West Coast Express Era a lot of credit for playing really sexy hockey, you know, offensively oriented hockey at a time when that just wasn't happening around the NHL was entertaining.
Speaker 1: And Burke and Crawford were on the same page. That was a big deal of that. Talcket sounds defeated. I'm getting a little worried now. He might be fed up. His body language looks frustrated. It might be time to do a retool with Manny Mahultter leading the team. Ozzie Goose coming in hot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not the first person with thank you, Ozzy, not the first person to mention that, Hey, it looks like they have a hot coaching commodity in Manny Malhultra. But if I'm not mistaken, is this not Manny's first head coaching head first head coaching any he was with the Maple Leafs and his assistant. Then he went to the Eye and the Sky guy at the end. I don't think he'd like that. But and then the opportunity now and his kid, his kids playing.
Speaker 1: His kid plays for the Chiliwac Chiefs, And that's the big reason why he's out here in the first place.
Speaker 4: Unsigned as well, is it just me. Hey, Ryan, heads up, do you not remember Gretzky didn't have those composite sticks that bed you're talking about the advantages that Gretzky had as a goal scorer versus Alex Ovechkin, that would be an advantage that Ovechkin has.
Speaker 9: Okay, But if you okay that of advantage, then if you want to call it that for Ov gets immediately canceled out by the increased size of goaltenders and goaltending equipment, like it's much harder to score on the net and the style of play by goaltenders, Like I think all that's been a lot harder then. And to your point, like you say, oh well, if Gretzky, if it was so easy to score in the eighties, why didn't everybody score goals like him? Well, if composite sticks are so amazing, why doesn't everybody score goals like Alexandrovtchkin?
Speaker 1: Because everyone doesn't have the same talent exactly, Okay, that we know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm just your argument is sound in that you think that, and I agree with you the better pure goalscor but I think I think the major portion of your argument was.
Speaker 9: Is the better player no this goal score I read Acord Biovechkin much much more impressive in my opinion than Gretzky.
Speaker 4: Bob and Burnaby?
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: Or should we now start talking more about the Abbotsford Canucks, which we we did. They've won eleven now in a row, Rick eleven straight. Any chance those playoff games will be televised again? Bob and Burnaby, Well.
Speaker 1: Maybe we should call check our boss and say get on it, and then maybe you and I could do and Ryan could do the Absburg Canucks postgames.
Speaker 4: What's the budget for those?
Speaker 13: You know?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's pretty expensive, pretty expensive. I love brockbster, but he was terrible last night. Turnover after turnover, bat on the powerplay, just a bad game overall. Gary not impressed for Brock last night?
Speaker 4: Was Is it just me? But trying to squeak into the playoffs and drafting somewhere in the middle is not working. What's the definition of insanity? Again? Incredibly frustrating. At least the Canucks kept Brock for these important games down the stretch. That's tongue tongue in cheek and was there is a lot of people who feel the exact same way and I'm putting me and I'm maybe wrong, believe it or not, but just try something different, just the same thing. Mediocrity.
Speaker 1: Well, they're going to get a pick around the thirteen fourteen, fifteenth therey.
Speaker 4: There you go, it was won't be happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go, Nick from Vic. They got rid of horror app because he's Canadian. They don't like Canadian players. Look at their roster. Shaking my head, Nick from VIC. The roster makeup is we gotta people, whether you believe us or not, we gotta we got somebody ripping. There's too many Americans on the Canucks, too many Swedes on the Canucks. Not enough Canadians on the Canucks. Like the the people aren't concerned with the makeup of the team.
Speaker 4: Don Yeah. A lot of people, including Donde from Nanaimo, agreeing with we got to get go in here, I know that, agreeing with what Farhand had to say. Les Patterson stick around in Vancouver in the off season. Canucks are paying eleven point six dollars eleven point six million dollars, they're paying him a season and maybe just suggests that he sticks around Vancouver. They have a trainer for him. Skills coach all of that. That's a crazy idea.
Speaker 1: It's a zero. The season's over and Elliots Patterson can go anywhere he wants if he wants to forget that, he can go anywhere he wants. He doesn't have to stick around here.
Speaker 5: But is it not?
Speaker 4: Is it not possible to suggest that to somebody you're paying all that money.
Speaker 1: They are going to talk to him because that guy cannot show up the camp next year. Out here, there you go. They are going to have, as Elliott said, a Jesus moment with him coming to Jesus, coming to Jesus moment with him. Okay, a break, we'll wrap up the show. In the poll question next donning dollar, the team won't ye.
Speaker 4: The Waddling Dog Pub has been owned and operated locally since nineteen ninety one and has since built its reputation as one of Victoria's favorite watering holes. With twenty TV's twenty local and domestic taps over two hundred seats, the Waddling Dog has something for everyone, including every Canucks game, UFC pay per views, and an unbeatable daily happy hour from four to six. The Dog is your one stop shop with its attached cold beer and wine store. Offering up hundreds of local and imported products, as well as an extensive inventory of Donnie and Dolly merchandise. Their award winning hotel offers dog friendly hotel rooms that are appointed with antique style furnishings and modern amenities, and only ten minutes from the airport and ferry terminal, there are countless reasons to come, sit and stay at the Waddling Dog dog Pole.
Speaker 1: Rick Ryan, get her up the Waddling Dog pop Pole. Question of the day. Which season is the blip season for the Canucks? Last year or this year? Look at this eleven hundred votes already it's hoping. It's popping. Fifty eight percent say last year, forty two say this year, and then there you go.
Speaker 4: Nine points last year. Oh yeah, hard to believe. Pictures. Photos, What do you got?
Speaker 1: Uh that?
Speaker 11: Ryan?
Speaker 1: We got where we're going. We actually just got a photo. What are you serious?
Speaker 9: Literally moments ago, seconds ago. You can just the text is the top in the inbox, Ricky.
Speaker 1: I catch you, right, I catch you, Okay, hold on, give me a sec, Derek before you show it here.
Speaker 4: That's good?
Speaker 1: Good, Oh right there, right there, I got it.
Speaker 9: Sort of order overseas, according to Rick's meth methol methodology methodology showing the Victoria Inner Harper Harbor from just outside the Delta Ocean Point Victoria Rocket D and D gray snapback and black Rush T shirt Canada. First note, the nice cherry blossoms spring is here, Courtney Todd.
Speaker 1: Oh what a beautiful picture?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 11: Just me?
Speaker 1: You're going, it's too much made of the cherry blossoms.
Speaker 9: I agree, like everybody reviews these cherry blossoms, like people flock, especially all these especially all these Instagram people.
Speaker 1: They go, they gotta pull their phone out look at that.
Speaker 4: It's just as I thought you were gonna say, is too much being made of rush?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 4: Well, you and I different, how much being made of rush and cherry bosses?
Speaker 11: I just the cherry blossoms. Courtney Todd is putting, it's a beautiful. It's a beautiful photo. And I appreciated. What's more sending you through? I'm just saying the articles written in the news stories and the Instagram it just filled with look.
Speaker 4: At the Okay, yeah, I didn't think they're that pretty.
Speaker 1: I mean they're pink. When they fall down there all over the ground, they make a mess.
Speaker 4: Even the color the color light pink.
Speaker 1: I just give you a nice orange fall, grizzly, ugly, muddy winter. And now we're seeing these beautiful, uh, cherry blossoms. Where are you guys?
Speaker 4: You have to look at your.
Speaker 1: And you don't think of bootsyart gardens or whatever they called. They got a ton of cherry blossoms? They do?
Speaker 4: They give me a good looking cedar branch? Yeah? Over over?
Speaker 1: What a better roses? What do you guys want to better roses?
Speaker 4: Better than a cherry block.
Speaker 1: I just think it's just overrated.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Is it unique to Vancouver?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. I could be wrong on that, but I just yeah, I know you have Do you have a tree at cherry bossom tree? Oh? I don't have one, but I know where some are.
Speaker 4: I love them. I walked by, I say, look at this, this is beautiful. Do you have a Chevy and pala? Hey?
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: Nbi raj don't forget. Ov benefited from the elimination of the two line pass, which now allows players to stay high for a past Gretzky always had to be on the defensive side of the red line, put that in your pipe and smoke it. Sure, sure again, I'll say it. I do agree with you. He is the greatest scorer of all time, not the greatest player.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that too. When I was a young fella, I love nothing more than putting on the cardboard pads, block blocker and baseball glove to be Frank Caprice David Cedar and hang around the cherry blossoms, and hang around the cherry blossoms. Frank Caprice was great. He was a great goalie. Donnie you noy?
Speaker 4: Yeah, nice guy. Okay, that's it. Thanks so much for tuning in, folks on behalf of Ryan Quinn, Derek Rick, everybody here at oh boy and check. I'm done and you have to date the world of sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.