Speaker 1: Tell you what ken Brew is a tough act to follow. He had Elmo from Elmo and Patsy Grandma got run over by a reindeer. He had Lisa Lane from Vince Vans in the Valiance. All I want for Christmas is you. I got Mighty John Marshall, which we should be calling right now. Thank you, kensey, Mighty John Marshall may not have had a hit Christmas record, but he's got a list of.
Speaker 2: Great records.
Speaker 1: Vinyl that his moneymusic dot Com assesses and appraises for you, if you are a collector, if you've got a garage that was left you by an uncle who only drank and collected vinyl, or maybe he didn't drink at all, maybe he just collected vinyl. Or if you went two yard sales at some point, or maybe you had a turntable, but now you can't find a needle because you're afraid you can't find a clean needle and you don't want your records coming down with the virus that can't be cured, or something like that. Gary Jeff in for Bill Cunningham once again in for Will on The Bill Cunningham Show and This Christmas Eve and it's a special show, and I hope you will stick around for every single last minute of it.
Speaker 2: We have Dan Was find out who he is? Who was is?
Speaker 1: Just after one o'clock we have Flash Phelps with a Christmas travelogue. The guy has been to almost every county in the country and he's got some of the best Christmas towns and Christmas name towns that he'll kind of take you through on a tour. Today we have my friend Scott Powell, a great American historian, on the importance, the historical and the importance today of what Christmas means in this country in America. And the great One the King, Dusty Rhodes, who every year has one of the finest, if not the finest Christmas special and he's still doing it. And we'll get a little taste of what Dusty's got cooking for your Christmas music listening experience on this Christmas Eve. But first and foremost we get Mighty John Marshall from Moneymusic dot Com in on the conversation. And by the way, in this hour, you are more than welcome to call in if you'd like. If you're a record collector and you've got questions about how much your vinyl is worth? This is the guy who can answer the question, and his website and the thumb drive that they sell can answer the question on a million different titles, hundreds or thousands of different artists. Moneymusic dot Com John Marshall, Merry Christmas Eve, How are you?
Speaker 3: I am Merry Christmas to you, and I've got a Christmas gift for all your listeners. Oh oh, you go to my website. No purchase necessary. We will send you the values for every Elvis, every Beatles record, over two thousand of them on the list. Just request it and we'll send it right to you. No purchase necessary.
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: No purchase necessary?
Speaker 3: That's correct. The Elvis record, every Beatles record, What they're worth? Over two thousand of them, two thousand of them on the list.
Speaker 1: My gosh, yeah, how magnanimous of you. What a great Christmas gift. Now, if people are in the eggnog early, so you've been in the eggnog early listen, it's it's ten after twelve. It's not early. It's perfect timing on Christmas Eve? You bet?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Usually the thumb drive with over a million titles. What will that cost? This serious record collector.
Speaker 3: Twenty ninetive, over seventy five thousand different recording artists listed, over a million records listed from nineteen oh two to the present day. Whatever they're worth, you can find out right there.
Speaker 1: All right, Kensey, if you can on a conference these callers in, I'm gonna let you handle that if you're able. We have John and Erlanger already chomping at the bit before we get to John's latest top ten song records you'd like to have underneath your Christmas tree, and we've got some bonus Christmas tracks we're going to be previewing as well. But John from Erlanger, you're on the air with Mighty John Marshall. What is your question?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 5: Thank you very much. Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas to you.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, I'm.
Speaker 2: Sorry, John, you're you're you're cutting out? Brother.
Speaker 3: How's that? Is it better?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little better. Ask your question?
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 3: I have a beatle called the Beatles Frank Field.
Speaker 1: The what the Beatles with Frank Ifield? Okay, John Marshall, you're familiar with that?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, absolutely, listen to the answer.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, now, Frank, I don't know if you remember Frank Iyefield. He had a hit I remember you, I remember that's that. Yes, it's a.
Speaker 2: Great, great record. I love it. He's got that yodel like Slim Whitman.
Speaker 3: Heead Well. He was a big hit in England, not as much so over here. But VJ Records on the rights to the Beatles and they on the rights to Frank Ifield at the time, so they put together an album called The Beatles and Frank Ifield, went out in nineteen sixty four. Now, if it pictures Frank a jump what they call a picture of an English gentleman, a cartoon drawing on the cover, then you're up about five hundred dollars. But if it pictures the Beatles on the cover, then a monocopy is up to fifteen hundred dollars and a stereo copy is up to nine thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: What was the stereocopy, John, I'm.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Yes, stereocopy of the Beatles and Frank Ifield the Beatles, and.
Speaker 5: It's the very first by DJ Records.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the picture of the Beatles on the copy I saw that was sold in twenty twelve, twenty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Now we don't have anything there that's worth twenty grand, right.
Speaker 3: John, Well, we don't put that. We put the high end value for the stereo copy of the nine thousand. That doesn't mean somebody wouldn't pay more, but this is what we consider the value to be.
Speaker 1: John from Erlanger, Merry Christmas. We've got to move along. Thank you, and get a better phone. Beth and hope, hopefully there's one. Is this stocking? Beth and Florence. Let's go to Beth. Beth, have you got a question from Mighty John? And then we'll get to the top ten list.
Speaker 6: Hi, Mighty John, I'm calling because I have a question. I have some albums. I have gotten rid of a lot of my albums at a place in I think it's ear Linger called Morrow Records, and what I have left I haven't asked the question to them, but I have.
Speaker 7: I think it's called a a seventy eight.
Speaker 6: The size of it is a.
Speaker 5: Seventy eight eighty.
Speaker 6: It's a thicker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sounds sounds sounds like a seventy eight.
Speaker 6: Beth, Okay, so I have them.
Speaker 7: It has like Les Paul, it has different artists singing songs. Or seventy eight is worth anything? Because I have a a collection of well sleeves.
Speaker 1: That's an excellent question, John, What are seventy eighths worth generally? And there's certain a certain John.
Speaker 3: Remember, yeah, you want to remember that just because the record is old doesn't mean it's worth money. Seventy eighths can certainly be worth money if they're rock and roll, seventy eights country, seventy eight's the blues very collectible. On a seventy eight she mentioned Les Paul mary Ford very popular. There's seventy eighths generally selloped around thirty to forty dollars, depending on the condition. But the big, big, big money in seventy eight's is what we call pre war blues. These are blues records that came out prior to World War Two. They can sell for thousands of dollars, and a great way to look at them is generally they'll have the word blues somewhere in the title. So you know I've got the Gary Jeff Blues. Pick it up because it has losing the title.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if somebody had the Gary Jeff Blues pre World War two, that's a fine.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, they can be worth money. But because they're old is not the reason they're worth money.
Speaker 2: See there you go. All right, we'll get to Steven in just a moment.
Speaker 1: Let's do the latest moneymusic dot Com Top ten list. Let's get through a few of these in this half hour. John, John's with us still one o'clock, so you've got plenty of times if you've got a vinyl appraisal question you'd like to ask the main man. Here at number ten of valuable records you'd like to find under your Christmas tree? And these are all one thousand dollars or more.
Speaker 3: John, Yes, yep, I love to find them right under the tree, not near the fireplace, the doors. Their album Strange Days featuring You Know Hello, I Love You and their earlier hits a monocopy currently up to one thousand dollars. By the stereo copy, it's still up to one hundred dollars, but the monocopy where you want to find it.
Speaker 2: People are strange.
Speaker 3: People are strange when you're a strange.
Speaker 4: Faces look ugly when you're alone.
Speaker 8: Willman sing when kid when you're un streets you when you're down.
Speaker 9: When straight.
Speaker 3: Faces come out?
Speaker 1: No, I remember his name, Mojoe Rising?
Speaker 2: What a what a? What a strange cat. Jim Morrison was right.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: The next one is very interesting to me because I did not know that this performer everyone knows recorded under this name. The name was Bonnie Joe Mason. But who was Bonnie Joe Mason?
Speaker 3: John, Hey, Bonnie Joe was Chaer?
Speaker 5: Your first record.
Speaker 3: WINGO I Love You current value up to one thousand dollars?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 3: And that was produced by Phil Spector on the Net record label and the Nets the dab of Expecord white down.
Speaker 2: All right, let's this is shared as Bonnie Joe Mason.
Speaker 4: Get you.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I saw the John.
Speaker 1: I saw the cover, all right, I guess the Uh they had a cover of the sleeve from that forty five and she looks she can't be more than sixteen or seventeen years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, before the plastic surgery, before the boob job, all of that, Chaer was Bonnie Joe Mason, Which sounds like a great It sounds as it's almost as good a radio name as Gary Jeff Walker. I think John Marshall from moneymusic dot com. And let's go to Stephen and Dayton. He's got a question for you, John Steven, Go ahead, Stephen.
Speaker 10: Yeah the loop, Hey, I got I got a Peter Frampton comes alive and it's signed by Peter Frampton and it's also signed by the Emperor of America.
Speaker 1: Merry Christmas, nerdy dog, Merry Christmas. Steven, that's a joke. Call you can get him out of here. Uh, that's that's not worth anything, right John, Well.
Speaker 3: I can't give you the value for the autographs, but uh yeah, so many copies out there, millions of them, about thirty dollars.
Speaker 1: Okay, about thirty bucks, and an autograph does not increase the value of vinyl.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Well, you know a serious record collector, they don't like anything written on the of the sleeves, not even autographs. So we always tell people, if you have a chance to get an autograph, have the recording artist sign a slip separate piece of paper and then just stick it inside the cover, but don't write on the cover.
Speaker 1: Right and again, it would be an autograph collector who would be find that interesting. Let's go ahead and get number eight on the moneymusic dot com list of top ten records you like to find it into your Christmas tree worth a thousand bucks or more?
Speaker 2: What have we got at number eight?
Speaker 3: Well, one of the big hits from the early days of rock and roll, run Away by Del Shannon. The value for the album mono up to five hundred dollars, stereo up to one thousand dollars.
Speaker 11: Remembering Deller wrong, Hello, and.
Speaker 8: Still the things we've done together.
Speaker 2: I'm just waiting for the falsehetto.
Speaker 11: I'm rain the fillin, but wishing you here by me.
Speaker 4: In this misery I want?
Speaker 1: Is that probably the most valuable Dell Shannon record? Ben Joe all right, fantastic. Uh, let's we got time for one question and one more tune. Let's get Donna from col Raine on the air with a question for Mighty John Marshall.
Speaker 2: Donna, Hi, how are you doing? Fine? Merry Christmas?
Speaker 5: Merry Christmas to you.
Speaker 12: So I have an very old Victorla and I have lots and lots of records.
Speaker 9: Are they worth anything?
Speaker 2: Well, it depends on what they are, Donna, John.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, right, Well again, just because they're old doesn't mean they're worth money. Do you have a couple of examples of what you have?
Speaker 5: Hello?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Donna? Do you have do you have a couple of examples of what you have?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Let me go in the other room here. Okay, we'll go with you what you would need.
Speaker 2: Sure, Sure, we're walking with Donna to the.
Speaker 3: Other room, by the way, walking in the rain though.
Speaker 2: No, we're not walking in the rain. This is this is compelling radio.
Speaker 3: Donna.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thanks for being prepared.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 13: All right, Let's.
Speaker 1: Well, I have.
Speaker 6: I mean, I've got a whole patroll of full so let me.
Speaker 3: Tell you some of what.
Speaker 1: Just give us some titles, babe, I have.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I don't even know what this is.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's a record, but it's in.
Speaker 3: Anticipation with different pictures on that.
Speaker 1: Of any titles there on the label. Look on the label, Donna or recording artist.
Speaker 6: No, there's not that.
Speaker 1: That's all it is.
Speaker 6: It says the whistlers, and it has a number on it.
Speaker 1: The Whistlers, and it has a number. All right, Donna, I'm not sure if we've got an answer, I tell you what. Hang up and we'll listen off the air. Okay, we'll give you an answer. Uh, if you had something that said the whistlers.
Speaker 3: Well, not that I know of. Right again, if we knew the name of the recording artist, titles and the little labels. We have a much better idea, but I get so many calls from people saying they have these old seventy eights. Well that's good or that's bad. It's rock and roll, country blues jazz that you want to concentrate on the big band. Overall, not too collectible, and the early days of vinyl wasn't even vinyl back then. Shellac and plastic generally not too collectible, but you might want to check with an antique dealer for any antique value.
Speaker 1: Well, let's close out here with one more from the money music dot com list of records you'd like to find under your Christmas tree worth a thousand bucks or more?
Speaker 2: What do we got?
Speaker 3: Very first forty five for Rush, the old Buddy Holly classic not fade away. Current value up to one thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: I had no idea that Rush ever cut this.
Speaker 14: Listen to Getty Why.
Speaker 2: That's Ketty Lee. There's no questions.
Speaker 14: You love to do, meet me love.
Speaker 2: Every now and day.
Speaker 1: Love is not playing away, loves me not play away.
Speaker 2: Kick in with the drums, loves.
Speaker 14: I. Dare you see that? Rocks?
Speaker 9: That?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: John?
Speaker 1: If you'll hang around, we'll do some news here after a break and come back. And and by the way, if you've got a question for Don for John Uh, make sure you know what your question is and feel free to call five one three, seven fortnight, seven thousand. Merry Christmas Eve. Moneymusic dot Com is the website. I'm Gary jeff walker In for William back in a moment on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 15: Meanwhile, in the intreged forest, Eddie and Rocky hunt pound something.
Speaker 2: It's a lamb with a genius. You'll grant whatever wishes we want.
Speaker 15: Just think of the good you could do.
Speaker 2: What do you mean you could?
Speaker 15: And Hunger bring world peace.
Speaker 1: Sam's thinking more like a solid gold alp with a money fountain, like Scrooge mcduk.
Speaker 15: How about one for your promo went oun sir. We'll see thanks a lot, pork Face.
Speaker 2: Eddie and rock this afternoon to three.
Speaker 15: On seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's Sney from on air with Ryan Seacrest. It's no surprise that people often gain.
Speaker 1: Your carry Christmas Eve to you, Gary jeff In for Bill Cunningham on his Christmas Eve Day, December twenty fourth, Man.
Speaker 2: The anticipation is killing me.
Speaker 1: It's like waiting for Donna to go to the other room and check her records. Mighty John Marshall, Darlene Love Christmas Baby, Please Come Home, a woman who owes her entire Chris Ristmas hit record career to David Letterman who had her on the show and reintroduced her to the American public.
Speaker 2: Again. That's good stuff.
Speaker 1: We're working on our list of top ten records you'd like to find under your Christmas tree, plus some Christmas bonuses, and we're gonna We're on the Jet Express here to get to number one. My former producer Mine Alex Egan sent me a couple of photos of seventy eight's that he has on the Columbia label Blues My Naughty Sweetie gave me by the ted Lewis Jazz Band.
Speaker 2: Can you give me a value.
Speaker 3: On that John ted Lewis, Well, I think it's jazz. Not familiar with that particular record, but have him send me an email with a description on how do the research on them for.
Speaker 1: Free Moneymusic dot com is where you find the email address, and then there there's a on the RCA Victor label Saint Louis Blues by Ray Noble and his Orchestra.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ray Noble very popular orchestra, not too collectable, about twenty five dollars.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, so there you go.
Speaker 1: Alex next in our list is an actress famous at the time TV and movies. She didn't like her voice and she thought she sounded like garbage on this, but it was a big hit, nonetheless, and it's worth some money.
Speaker 3: Shelly February starred in three Elvis movies and had a hit record number one back in the early sixties. Johnny Angel, now here's the case with the value was one hundred percent just for the picture sleeve the record, maybe ten bucks. The sleeve by itself up to one thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: She said, I couldn't sing a lick. I don't know how this was a hit. I think she does fine.
Speaker 1: I mean they didn't have like all of the vocal tricks three that they have now, right, she's pretty much pin Pitch Next is an album by the Beatles and right Now moneymusic dot Com and John announced it at the beginning of the program. If you're a collector of vinyl by Elvis, the Beatles, or who else.
Speaker 3: Just Elvis and the Beatles, just send us an email and we will send you the values for every Elvis record, every Beatles record, over two thousand of them. Moneymusic dot Com email address right there on the homepage.
Speaker 2: All right, so let's take a tour with the Fab four John.
Speaker 3: Yes, Magical Mystery Tour. Monocopy up to twelve hundred dollars. Stereocopy up to seven hundred and fifty dollars. Now, these are for original issues. These albums have been reissued many times over the years. Collectors they want those original issues and you.
Speaker 2: How do you tell if you've got an original issue?
Speaker 3: Well, generally they'll change something, maybe the font of the print, the color of the label, something to identify it. In the guide that we put out, we list each individual issue and describe them so you'll know exactly which one you have.
Speaker 2: Let's roll up for.
Speaker 14: The misterature for just a.
Speaker 2: It's an invitation.
Speaker 1: To cash in if you're ready to do such a thing. A lot of people just they just want to know how much this vinyl is worth. They're not planning on spinning it off or you know, cashing in necessarily, but if you are, here's a helpful handy guide for you. Courtesy of Mighty John Marshall at moneymusic dot Com. Now I tell you I couldn't find a couple of the records that you had listed, which I mean it kind of tells you, Okay, if you can't find the record, it must be. And this next one, which is a forty five from nineteen seventy nine, this guy's name you don't associate with recorded music. You associate him with the being famously being beaten in the ring by Cassius Clay later Muhammad Ali.
Speaker 3: Right, good old Sonny Liston lost that fight right up here in Maine where I am. I'm a lover, not a fighter. How true? Carmeron value up to two thousand dollars. I've only seen one. I've never come across another word. I seen one.
Speaker 1: I searched on the interwebs today before we went on the air, John, and I could not find that one.
Speaker 3: Now it was on, it was online at one time. That's where I start, and it's been taken down.
Speaker 1: Apparently there's a reason it's worth about two thousand dollars if you can ever find one.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The next one kind of confused me because you have Spirit in the Sky as the title, and I think that was a it was a misprint. Yeah, this is an original Bruce spring song that was later a hit for Manfred Man's Earth Band and released by them. But this is the original forty five on Columbia from nineteen seventy three. Tell me about this.
Speaker 3: Spirit in the Night? No pictures leave involved, just the forty five. Currently up to four thousand dollars. Wow, Brooks.
Speaker 14: Crazy, We're back Saturday.
Speaker 1: I'll dun it up for Saturday Night. Bruce Springsteen and the original of Spirit in the Night. All right, we're up to number two on this top ten list. And finally we've got a Christmas album worth one thousand dollars or more, and maybe a whole lot more if you've got the right copy of Elvis.
Speaker 3: Elvis is very first Christmas album nineteen fifty seven, black vinyl, up to one thousand dollars red vinyl, and we found six of them over the years doing radio interviews. Currently up to fifteen thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Fact, in previous years when I had you on the air, someone said that they had one called in and said that they had one in the red vinyl. Can you imagine I'm just all of a sudden you find out you've got a record worth fifteen thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Payoff for goods. Let's buy a new car, all right, numb.
Speaker 3: Buy a new car with the next one. That's for sure.
Speaker 1: That number one on this list is we're back to the Beatles again.
Speaker 3: Now this was what they call a special DJ release, not necessarily a promo copy, but these were all sent to radio stations with Anna on one side, Ask me why. On the flip side, it's up to thirty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: This is the nineteen sixty four VJ forty five special release by the Beatles.
Speaker 2: And look for Anna. Ask me why you could be sitting on thirty grand No kidding.
Speaker 4: You don't ask me.
Speaker 3: To sent you.
Speaker 15: Vegan Is say he loves you more than me.
Speaker 11: No, I was sent you.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 1: Now we've got a couple more questions John, and if we can get them, conference them properly. We'll get those out of the way, and then we've got some Christmas bonus records also worth quite a bit of money.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Let's see al in Cleaves. Let's go to Alan Cleves first and.
Speaker 2: There we go. Al, what's your question for John Marshall?
Speaker 15: First of all, Merry Christmas to you and yours Merry Christmas.
Speaker 5: Gee, you're already anyway.
Speaker 16: I have a Pink Floyd album that's called and the Walls came down. I don't know what this stands forth, I've had it for years, all right, But do you have a.
Speaker 3: Right in front of you? Do you know what label it's on? What record label?
Speaker 5: Al?
Speaker 3: Can you hear me?
Speaker 5: Al?
Speaker 2: Do you know what record label it's on?
Speaker 16: Hold on a second, let me pull the uh pull the bio out and out there.
Speaker 5: Oh, okay, you're gonna love this.
Speaker 16: It doesn't have anything on the label, but it looks like something from Steve I'm not sure, some kind of cartoon.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you either have a bootleg or it doesn't.
Speaker 16: There's nothing on the label. Everything by anybody.
Speaker 1: You either have a bootleg or an import, he says, And in that case, you're so.
Speaker 2: O l al.
Speaker 3: It doesn't mean off.
Speaker 16: The other thing is I have a Pink Bloyd Dark Side of the Million that I bought in Germany of all places. Yeah, but it's probably not worth anything either.
Speaker 3: Well not true. Now, there's only established values loaning for issues sold in the US.
Speaker 1: Only established values for things sold in the US. L Yeah, okay, all right, thank you sir. And let's go to stew in Blue Ash. One more question and we'll get to the Christmas record. Ste what's your question for Mighty John Marshall.
Speaker 3: Hey, theres there you good?
Speaker 2: Merry Christmas?
Speaker 3: Stu? Al right, Merry Christmas? Do you?
Speaker 14: Hey?
Speaker 3: I have a cheating Chong album from the.
Speaker 1: You sound like you're on a cheach and Chong album from the seventies, Stu, No offense, I said, you sound like you're on a cheating Chong album from the seventies.
Speaker 3: No, right now, but it is the old album.
Speaker 16: Here, two of them, one never open, but the one album and the big giant rolling paper.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's the big Bamboo album.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is that what it is?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: John, tell me about the cheach and Chong Big Bamboo album with the rolling paper.
Speaker 3: Ball all right?
Speaker 5: I just want to just keep.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, Stu, let's let John answer the question and we'll.
Speaker 3: Let you know. Spoken word records generally not too collectible, and comedy records fall into that category. Without the rolling paper about twenty five dollars, with the rolling paper at another ten dollars.
Speaker 1: There you go, so the rolling paper will get you thirty five. All right?
Speaker 3: Are you fine?
Speaker 1: He sounded like he was driving in a fuzzy bus with Stacy Keats turning into a lizard climbing up the wall of the van.
Speaker 3: I thought it sounded like was using the rolling paper anyway, right.
Speaker 1: Stu, you would have had another ten bucks if you hadn't broke out the big dam boo paper.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, your friend, with the seventy eighth of ted Lewis. I found them on Columbia records. It is about ten of them, each of them worth up to two hundred dollars alex.
Speaker 1: There you go, each of the ted Lewis records up to about two.
Speaker 3: Hundred bucks on Columbia records.
Speaker 1: Let's do our bonus Christmas records that have some value. John, Well, well we got a few minutes.
Speaker 3: Well how about Bobby Helms the jingle bell rock that forty five with the pictures sleeve up to two hundred and twenty five dollars.
Speaker 1: Yep, and everybody sing alone, Jingle man, jingle jingle.
Speaker 4: Gee?
Speaker 2: How many times have you already heard that? This year?
Speaker 1: Like Brenda Lee, Man, it's ubiquitous it you can't escape it?
Speaker 2: All right, Uh, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Up next, this is one of my Wild's favorite songs and one of my most annoying noises.
Speaker 2: I've ever heard.
Speaker 3: I hope you hear it often this Christmas gala peetee. I want a hippopotamus for Christmas with pictures sleep but original up to two hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: Krista is marching around the house, right. Is he not feeling well? So I probably won't.
Speaker 2: But Krista, this is for you.
Speaker 5: Must for Christmas only.
Speaker 4: Hip the bottom ust we'll do.
Speaker 8: Don't want no dinky tink or toy.
Speaker 9: I want a hip a botta must away with and enjoy.
Speaker 3: I want a hipple bottomus for Christmas.
Speaker 5: I don't think Santa Claus will mind you. He won't have to use a dirty Jimney Blue to bring him through the front door.
Speaker 17: That's the easy thing to do.
Speaker 5: I can see me.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Instructions for Santa bringing the hippopotamus into the house, all right?
Speaker 2: Uh again.
Speaker 1: Money music dot com is the website you can buy their thumb drive with over a million titles for twenty nine ninety five. But if you go there and the email John today or anytime anytime this week, John.
Speaker 3: Through Christmas, through Christmas through tomorrow, tomorrow.
Speaker 1: All right, uh, he will say, and you a listing of the value of every Elvis and Beatles recording that there is, yep from the Moneymusic dot Coms.
Speaker 2: And you also have a YouTube shows that you do, right.
Speaker 3: John, YouTube's right there the Elvis fifteen thousand dollars record we talked about. You can watch our YouTube video right there on the home paint and see that.
Speaker 1: All right, from that Elvis Christmas album. We have one more bonus track to leave us off here. What do we got here?
Speaker 3: Well, big Christmas record for Elvis. I'll have a Blue Christmas without This is a promo copy. They didn't release it in fifty seven as a single until nineteen seventy two, So that blue Christmas promo copy three thousand dollars. Wow.
Speaker 1: Merry Christmas and Merry Christmas to you, my friend. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Gary Jeff. Merry Christmas to you and your listeners.
Speaker 1: Moneymusic dot Com The mighty one John Marshall, I'm looking.
Speaker 14: Chris.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Opportunity, I have yourself a peanut buttery matter.
Speaker 3: Come on.
Speaker 1: And to another hour of this Bill Cunningham Show on Christmas Eve, Gary Jeff Walker and for Willie once again and a slight.
Speaker 2: Right turn on this Christmas Eve show.
Speaker 1: My friend Dan Was, who has been my friend in firearms for a long time, on my Nightcap programs and in the other shows that I've done, is always willing to come to my aid, providing great content for those of us who believe that the Second Amendment is in fact a God given right to every a birthright for every American citizen, as long as you're not you know, shooting people up, as long as you're not a felon, as long as you're not a criminal, because the criminals are going to get the guns regardless. And on this Christmas Eve, in the spirit of peace on earth and goodwill towards men, what could say that more than a firearm in every home, next to every hearth, protecting that family and ensuring piece a peace keeper if you will. And here is one of those peacekeepers that I was, the one I specifically was talking about once again, Dan Was, who is the author of the Good Gun, Bad Guy series of books and so many other things. Dan, Merry Christmas Eve, How are you.
Speaker 18: Hey, Gary?
Speaker 11: Jeff?
Speaker 18: Merry Christmas Eve as well to you. And yeah, I mean, what's better what's more American and more traditional and more just perfect than a firearm in every home to protect the family.
Speaker 1: If you were going to get a starter pistol, that's not a starter pistol. If you were going to get someone their first gun for Christmas, what would a Dan was recommend?
Speaker 3: Oh wow, good question.
Speaker 18: Well, I mean, if we're talking about handguns, there's a lot of a lot of good small, concealable nine millimeter which seems to be the go to. You know, there's there's the shield, and there's a there's a sig six. Sour makes a P three sixty five and I think that's what it was. The free three sixty five is the nine milimeters. So there's a wide variety of nine milimeters easily concealable handguns that you can find at your your local gun shop. And you know, and it's hard to advise because everybody's different. Everybody's got different size, hand different way they're going to be carrying. Women may carry different from men, So there's a lot.
Speaker 2: Of different That's an excellent point, Dark.
Speaker 1: That's an excellent point, Dan, because it's almost like buying a piece of clothing or an outfit. You want to try it on and see if it fits, which can be kind of dicey if you've to surprise somebody. I mean, yeah, and I'm not sure that a gun is the best surprise for some people. I mean, they might be a little startled if they open up the package tomorrow morning and it's a gun. Is that they weren't expecting. But you kind of have an idea of who's a gun person and who's not. Number one and number two. Like I said, you want to find something that fits your hand that again you're comfortable with the recoil action on it. You know what kind of kick doesn't have and all of that.
Speaker 18: Right, Yeah, sure, yeah, yeah, and then you'd be surprised some of the smaller The smaller ones are more difficult to handle because of the kick and the weight. You know, there's a couple real lightweight handguns that I don't particularly care for because they're so small and they're hard to keep in your hand. But there's such a wide variety. I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to really recommend what's best for anybody, because everybody's different, and like I said, it depends on where you're going to be carrying, where on your body are you going to be carrying There's plenty of different places to carry.
Speaker 2: As well, So it is an accessory in essence, you know, like.
Speaker 18: Life saving accessory.
Speaker 2: Life saving accessory.
Speaker 1: What about what about shotguns and rifles for like home protection? You're not carrying that around, but something for the home. What's a good shotgun recommendation? Again, And you're not trying to recommend something that's a blanket. You know, one size fits all obviously, but you want something that can afford your family the kind of protection that ensures peace and tranquility, you know everyone.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 18: A shotgun is always a good idea I believe to have in the house. And there are so many different ways you can go with that. But yeah, again, I would definitely have a shotgun for that. As far as rifles go, I mean, there's there's plenty of rifles out there too. It people seem to like the AR fifty of course, because you know, you can do a lot with them. You can, you can make a lot of changes, and there's a lot of different accessories and stuff. So but there's a wide variety of of well, so to make a recommendation, I wouldn't want to do that, but just again, go to the go to your local gun shop and just have some fun and go down there and check out some of the stuff they have, because you'll you'll be shocked. There's a whole wide variety, a whole range of different shotguns and rifles and especially handguns. I mean, look in the glass counters that they have at the gun shops and you'll see all the different handguns. It's like it's like Christmas every day when I go there.
Speaker 1: And as you and I have talked before, Dan, was if guns were the problem, then there would be just massive bloodshed at these gun shows that people are always saying, Oh, we got to stop the illegal gun shows. We've got to stop. So tell me what's ahead in twenty twenty five. What do you think the side that's against the American citizen being armed and being protected with a peacekeeper of their own, And what's good, what's positive, and what's still working through the courts and what are you talking about these days?
Speaker 18: Well, I'm working on a bunch of stuff, but just kind of a basic reminder there are more guns in this country than there are people, and they're really only when you take out suicides only about eleven thousand deaths gun related deaths, and those are primarily due to gang violence. So the idea that guns are the cause of violence couldn't be further from the truth. And to the contrary, there's also up to two and a half million defensive gun uses per year. That means good people stopping violent acts of violence with their own personal gun, and nine five percent of the time the triggers never even pulled. It's just the mere presence of a gun that stops the bad guy. So the argument for guns in the hands of good people, it's a no brainer. We have all the data on our side, all the statistics on our side, so anything you hear that's coming from the anti gun side is usually skewed and false, false data.
Speaker 1: There was a big there was a big rush to judgment after this latest school shooting where I guess it was a fourteen or fifteen year old had some issue and how did they get guns. Let's talk a little bit about gun safety as a gun owner, as someone who was protecting their family and protecting their God given sacred right to own and bear a firearm in defense of themselves. What are good safety tips for people who own guns in the home. I mean, how did a fourteen year old get a hold of a firearm? This pistol.
Speaker 18: I always thought that it was the parent's responsibility to teach the kids and raise them in a productive if you're going to have firearms, I you're gonna you know, if your family uses firearms and has firearms, and to teach them early on, because somebody understand a lot of times, I think what's happening is, you know, whether it's fatherless homes or or whatever the case may be, a lot of kids just don't understand. And and not only do we have a problem with kids not being raised properly. So this isn't a gun issue, This is a this is a parental issue. This is a family issue, This is a societal issue. But there's also this lack of value of humanity I see in our in some of our youth. It's it's really disturbing. And I think that if we were to teach our kids the value of life and appreciation for life, and respect and appreciation for other people, along with basic firearm knowledge, a lot of these problems would go away. But I think it's a parenting issue. And when the anti gun crowd gets a hold of this conversation. They want to lock up guns in the home. I don't necessarily believe that's a good idea, because when you lock up guns in the home, you are basically helpless if you're under a home invasion. I would prefer children be taught. I would prefer it be taught in schools. I would prefer parents take their kids to the range on a daily basis. And I would prefer that the American tradition firearm culture in America is brought up and raised in our youth.
Speaker 1: Well, that's excellent education and also parental personal responsibility. But you know, some parents they don't want to have that responsibility, and so they want to blame something. And the first thing they blame, you usually is the instrument that does not get up on its own and shoot.
Speaker 18: And well, you know, and unfortunately they do want to blame the gun and gun owners. And my message to them is, look, it's not the gun owner's responsibility to cure all the ills of the world, you know, And we shouldn't have to give up our rights because other people are irresponsible. So fix the real problems. Let's get to the core of the issues, societal issues that we have but to keep your hands off my guns.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, that's that's why it's it's just so easy to just blame the gun and say, if we eliminate guns, this would not be happening.
Speaker 2: I wanted to.
Speaker 3: Tell you something that true.
Speaker 18: It's not even true because if their guns are not the catalyst for violence, you know, when a gun is not available, a knife is used, or a hammer or a baseball batter, a fist or anything. So that's the the other side of the argument that they they don't want to see because as you know, there was gun bands in Australia, big gun bands one in ninety six, and it was supposed to stop violence, it was supposed to stop suicide. It did nothing of the sort. All it did was make people more vulnerable.
Speaker 2: Huh amazing.
Speaker 1: So I wonder what the stats are from Australia since nineteen ninety six on suicide and on murder and the rest of that would be interesting find.
Speaker 18: That basically the trajectory was on a slight downward trajectory and at the time before they did the gun band and it's the trajectory state exactly the same. It just continued slightly downward as it was as it had been for the previous years and police but policing had increased also, so there really was no change in the trajectory of violence.
Speaker 1: Or suitab Well, right now in this country, Dan was, we are still suffering from the defund the police movement, which many mayors and governors supported, and you know Washington politicians saying that it was police brutality and racism and this we need to reimagine the police, and that is only ratcheted up the violence on our streets in this country because of that. Hopefully this will change with the new administration and people are going to understand the true role of law enforcement and how important it is. But to police, most of the time, god bless them, are reactive. They're responding after the fact after something has happened. Whereas if you had someone who was threatening you, threatening your life or your family's life, or your property, and you had a firearm, as the constitution says you're entitled to have, then all the police have to do is, you know, clean up the mess after you've defended yourself.
Speaker 5: Basically, well, real.
Speaker 18: Quick on that, I don't know how much time we have a real on that point. You know, the real violence started in twenty twenty when when the political left was as you said, they were defunding that they were going they actually wanted to defund the police, while while violent left wing radical groups like BLM and Antifa were burning cities to the ground, and some and some mayors were joining in because they wanted to be woke and they wanted to be accepted by the.
Speaker 1: Thank god, thank god, our vice president is not going to be Tim Walls, whose wife enjoyed the smell of burning tires as Minneapolis burned, and the mayor.
Speaker 18: From Minneapolis too, he was joining ready. He was a real joke, sure, but just real quick. There was five million new firearm owners in twenty twenty because people who never owned a gun before realized that these left wingers are just crazy and they're putting everybody in danger. So five million new firearm owners in America the year twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Real quick.
Speaker 1: To wrap this up on a Christmas Eve, note, I just heard the story this morning that Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow got a very special interesting gifts for his offensive lineman for Christmas.
Speaker 2: He got them samurai swords. He said.
Speaker 1: They asked Joe, why why samurai swords, and he said, well, they wanted guns, but so I just went for the samurai sword. What do you think is safer for an NFL lineman to have in his possession a gun or a samurai sword.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 18: That sounds like a trick question. I can't answer that one, but I get I would. I would love to have you know, guns in my stocking Christmas Eve. I think, you know, rather than Santa went rather than cookies and milk, Santah wants you know, handguns and.
Speaker 1: AMMO good gunbadguy dot com Dan was thank you so much, and Merry Christmas to you and your family. I know you've got a big celebration you're cleaning up the house for right now, so.
Speaker 2: I'll let you go.
Speaker 18: Thanks Pal, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Merry Christmas, Very Christmas to you and our Christmas extravaganza continues in just a moment here on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 12: I'm so ill happy that Centa on his play.
Speaker 15: Santa is not the only one who sees you when you're sleeping. By the way, love the fire truck, Jemmy, I know it's almost times for Christmas Day. Not being jolly one seven hundred wlslast day.
Speaker 19: There's something very dangerous in your home. It could be hiding in a closet or waiting in the basement. It's not sharp, or toxic or flammable. It helps send more people to the trauma center than any other household item.
Speaker 15: Hey, I'm doing me a favor and hold the ladder for me.
Speaker 2: I have a better idea. Let's just call somebody to clean.
Speaker 15: The gutters, to scoop out a few leaves. I'll be down in a heartbeld wall.
Speaker 19: Using a ladder might seem easy, Misusing one is even easier. Ask any of the one hundred and fifty thousand people who fell off their ladders into the trauma center last year alone. Don't let it do it yourself project do yourself in. For tips on ladder safety, visit orthoinfo dot org. A public service message from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons who want to keep your bones safe, strong, and well connected.
Speaker 17: For seventy six years, Kate of Heaven Cemetery has served the Christian community.
Speaker 2: With respect and compassion.
Speaker 15: You'll see why going and.
Speaker 8: Some homemade and Sylvain your folks are traveling down to Dixie Sunny Show from at ladder too, ze Gee, the taffic is terrific.
Speaker 1: Go there's no Yeah, if you're not staying home for the holidays, where are you roaming to? We have Sirius XM sixties gold radio host and world traveler Flash Phelps to talk about some Christmas destinations, either towns that sound like Christmas or towns that really really resemble Christmas.
Speaker 2: And he's been to them all.
Speaker 1: So we figured that there's no better travelogue than the one that Flash Phelps is holding on to between his ears. So Flash, welcome on this Christmas Eve to the Bill Cunningham Show, Gary Jeff and for Willie with the one and only Flash Phelps. How many I know, all fifty states? How many counties are you missing across the country now, Flash.
Speaker 5: I'm missing two hundred and twenty two at this point. Yeah, there's thirty one hundred and forty four to twenty two to go. I've been over ninety one percent of the United States and all the counties and Ohio is complete. Indiana is now complete. Everything from Indiana the main Maine to South Carolina, that's all done. Florida is all complete. I just completed all of Oklahoma, all of the Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, all the parishes of Louisiana. I got all those done, many out west, so I'm twenty seven states. I've been in every county in twenty seven to fifty states.
Speaker 1: Well, and here's the thing. He's driven there, I mean except except for Hawaii. Obvious Hawaii. And I'm telling you, doing all five out.
Speaker 5: There was not the easiest because a lot of people will cover the four but the fifth one to go to Kalorado, smallest county anywhere in the United States. Can't drive there, either have to fly or hike in because and you can't even do it right now after the pandemic because of what goes on. That's where Hanson's disease is, right down to Calapapa Peninsula. They had to walk in years ago. Back in twenty seventeen, I did it to complete all of Hawaii. So that's how you do Hawaii. Five counties, so not an easy one.
Speaker 1: So I tell you what, flash, Let's talk about some Christmas name towns and some other towns that you've been to in your many journeys that have just a special Christmas feel. It's one of my favorite times of the year, and here we are on Christmas Eve. So maybe for next year if you're planning on traveling, flash, where should people go to get Christmas?
Speaker 2: That's not right around the corner.
Speaker 5: All right, Let's talk about some of the ones that are fun names.
Speaker 2: Tensil Town.
Speaker 5: I did that as a city of the day, so obviously Hollywood, not that it's real Christmas Eve there, but Tensiltown was fun because do you remember how terrible it was trying to use tensil and you get yelled at by your parents of trying to hang the tensil rivuy, but too many pieces that Dasher. I just went down this one Dasher, Georgia. So for Dasher, Dancer, Prance or Vixen comics, you it Donner Blitzen. You can go to Rudolph, Wisconsin. Or you can go to Dasher down in Georgia's right near Valdosta. They've assigned they do. This was a fun one. I was talking about how with the songs that are out there again Carols, I wanted to go to this town called Carrol's Washington. I used to live out in Washington State when I was on the radio, and there are Longview Kelso near everybody knows Mount Saint Helens when they are up in nineteen eighty. Just south of there, they get a town called Carol's as in I got Carols at the Spinet. So that was a fun photo op. In Washington State. How about this one Bells Tennessee. That's not too far away from Christmasville, Tennessee. So if you head down from Cincinnati on I seventy five, actually takes seventy one to sixty five go that way, and then once you get to Nashville, go a little west and north of Jackson you're gonna find bells, which I did for Carrol of the Bells.
Speaker 1: So I always try to find these fun Christmas. And there is a Christmas town in Tennessee. I didn't know that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got that. You have Christmas up on the upa Michigan. You have Christmas down in Florida in between Cape Canaverral and also Orlando. So many want to go over there, and they were getting their Christmas cards all stamped to be able to get it there. Joy, Illinois another good place, I tell by the cities of Illinois. And as you know, there's just some really go in Santa Claus Indiana, very close to many of us. Just to go down to Louisville and then head west and that is great year round. So that to go and as you know Frankenmuth, Michigan, it's Christmas year round. You go to Browners. That's always so much fun. There's also a Santa Claus in Georgia. A lot of people don't know about that one. No, they they sort of have they post office, but they sort of don't. Now, Santa Claus, Indiana, that's a real city, so your palstmarker is really going to be Santa Claus, Indiana. But Santa Claus, Georgia is actually incorporated by the It's called Claxton, Georgia. It's a little to the east. That's the home of the fruit cake. All fruitcakes that you get that seemed to all come out of Claxton, Georgia, far from Claus.
Speaker 2: I won't be going there.
Speaker 1: Fruitcake is one of my least favorite holiday deserve.
Speaker 5: Not a whole lot of people like that.
Speaker 1: They give fruit fruitcake. Fruitcake to me is the equivalent of a lump of coal.
Speaker 5: Okay, oh my gosh. And you know what, and you know what else was fun is Bedford Falls. Now many go Bedford Falls. You mean it's a Wonderful Life Yeah, Well is it a real place. Yeah, well it's Seneca.
Speaker 2: Falls, New York.
Speaker 5: This is where the Women's Right is there because they have the whole National Monument for that. But you go into this town of Seneca Falls. It's right at the top of the Finger Lakes, not too far from Rochester and Syracuse. So you go over in there and especially the middle of December, put this on your calendar for next year to look at the thing called It's a Wonderful Life Weekend. And they even had three of the kids. And I remember that movie was nineteen forty six, so these kids that were born in the early forties, they were able to attend in their mid eighties, so they were there. Zu zu Yeah, she always shows up. She's there every year for it. But you go to this town and they have on each side they have angel It says on one side of the bridge, and then you come to the other side and it'll say Bedford Falls, and then it'll say George Bailey and you walk on the bridge. Well, Frank Kaepra, who ends up writing the story, there's a monument that's on there it's a plaque and it says, at this point, there was somebody who jumped off this bridge to save the life of another, but they lost their lives. And everybody says, you know what, Frank Kaeper came to this town. This is what he did. This is the bridge, and it's the whole story. So if you ever get a chance to go to Seneca Falls, make sure you see the bridge and see all the signage as well. So well, I been having a good time going around seeing some things all about Christmas. Have you been doing the same?
Speaker 1: Have not done the light tour yet? I'm planning on getting out and just cruising some Christmas lights.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe tonight.
Speaker 1: Tonight's the night, I mean Christmas Eve, and you don't really have anything magical other than that plan, so tonight might be the perfect night to go and see the various and many and there are a lot of huge displays around here in the Cincinnati area. Flesh, it is really nice. I spent by the way, I spent Christmas in Cincinnati. Got there on Christmas Day of twenty twenty, so just four years ago.
Speaker 5: I spent it in Cincinnati that day. Nothing will seem to be open. It was over on the east side. And then whenever I went to the Sign Museum, I wanted to see that. I had never been there before, so I did that on the day after Christmas. So when things are open like that. I'll tell you another fun thing Shadrack. If you go down towards Knoxville, you know I seventy five, and head right down and you hit the Pigeon Forge over in that area. At Shadrack, they do an incredible Christmas display. I did it when they did it over where the Tennessee Smokies played, but now they've moved it a little further south on the Parkway. It'll be right there on your right. So that's a good one. That'll be up there for a little while. What aout.
Speaker 2: What about Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 5: You've been there. That is a really cool one. I'll tell you what. I stopped in the post office there because everybody wants to get their their Christmas cards with a beth line. And by the way, nazare At Pennsylvania, which Martin Guitars is out in nazare At Pennsylvania. These two cities are only about five six miles apart, and it's just so Nazareth is just north of Bethlem. Many want to get their Christmas cards from both areas. And there's a Bethlehem, Georgia as well, near the University of Georgia the west of Athens. So a lot of people go to Bethlen over there. They all try to find them. But Bethlyn, Pennsylvania very cool, as you know from Allentown. It's called the Lehigh Valley Allentown, Bethlyn and east and Easton is home of Creola, the Philipsburg, New Jersey on the other side of the Delaware River. Well, Bethlehem just a beautiful town and their post office right in downtown's along the east side. And they even have a nitknee lion there that's sitting on the bench. They do the things I find driving around these towns.
Speaker 2: So where is the.
Speaker 1: Most elaborate Christmas display you've ever seen in your journey?
Speaker 5: I'll tell you, Well, there's so many that are just so big as well. One of my favorites that I just saw was cheek Wood because of cheek Wood, which is the west side of Nashville. So these aren't again too far away from our area right here, especially if you're branching out.
Speaker 1: And I know, being a former resident of Nashville, I know Cheekwood Botanical Gardens very very well and they do incredible stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they did the Christmas carollers. It really made me feel like Christmas when I went in and the Christmas carollers were singing and they were all dressed up, and there was something about that experience that was just so good. So yes, I would say that was one of my favorite places. Even right here, I'm not too far away from the DC area. So we got the National Christmas Tree now that stays up here around a lot of people don't know that, but if you go to Washington, DC any time of the year, south long of the White House, if you stand outside of it and look towards the Washington Monument, you're gonna see a tree and it stays there planet all year long and it's just been evergreen, and a lot of people't know that's the National Christmas Tree. Doesn't move unless it gets knocked over and then plant a new one, but that does stay up year round.
Speaker 2: And then they have the Capitol Christmas Tree.
Speaker 5: This year, they got this tree to go all the way from Alaska rang go Alaska to catch a cant put it on a boat. They got it down into Washington State, trucked all the way across the country, came north of View into Fort Wayne across northern Ohio. Then they got it over the Wheeling and then they brought it right down into Washington.
Speaker 2: So that's where that is from.
Speaker 5: That stands on the west side of the Capitol Building in DC. And then how about the one at Rockefeller Center that was from that's from West Stockbridge in Flash. I call it Flasher Chusetts. You may know it is Massachusetts, but yeah, so that's where Alice's restaurant was done. That's the real Alice's restaurant. And on the west side of town, that's where they had this tree. And then they found that they liked it cut down, they took it and that's the one currently standing at Rockefeller Center. If you go to New York City.
Speaker 1: Well many many people listening may be very familiar with. You talked about Nashville and what the display at Cheek would but the incredible displays inside the Gaylord hotels, including the Land Is if you've never been, you got to go right.
Speaker 5: And they do ice as well. And if you're listening on further parts away. Look for your galer and hotels is you know Texas as well as here in the Washington, DC area, we have the one at the National Harbor and they do it. They're doing Charlie Brown this year. I didn't look to see what the National one is doing with ice, but they keep at about ten degrees inside of there. It's really chilly and they'll give you a coat if you want to walk around. Hey, now, have you ever seen a Christmas story? You would know how good a Christmas story is? Right? Yeah, well many know. You go to Cleveland, then you can see the house where they filmed. The Bumpus House is next door. That is a Christmas story house. But they filmed some of it also in Ontario. It's up in the Niagara Falls area. Like when he gets his tongue stuck to the pole, that was actually done in Ontario. That's in the Niagara Falls area is where that is. But if you want to see the statue, because the whole story about Jean Shepherd, Jean Shepherd out of Hammond, Indiana. So this is the Chicago area. You're right up on eighty ninety four right there, and as soon as you get into that area, you're going to see at the visitors center. It's a exit three I think is what it is. And go there and they have a statue of what's called the pole Liquor and it's in with his tongue year round. You can just see the pole licker. Don't stick your tongue to that. But that statue is there because that town in Indiana, and that's Jean Shepherd's connection. I'll give you another cool one. The first leg lamp they claim was made down in Oklahoma. This is real and you can show and it's down in Chickashee is where this is. So if you're in Oklahoma City, go southwest on I forty four exit and go right to downtown Chickashet. When you're there, they have about I think it's about thirty feet tall, and it's the world's largest leg lamp and it says forje Lee on the bottom and it has the leg. Somebody was trying to figure out is that the right legger the left leg?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I can't see the foot and see the way that it's so high up and then it's got the whole top. So the world's largest leg Lamp, Lady leg Lamp, you go to Chickashee, Oklahoma. That's a really good one. I was like that. The Home Alone House is really cool north side of Chicago. I went there Christmas of last year. I can't believe how many people they had. By the way, they make that street one way and you go in there, you just bark and come on over. And they have places where you can do donations as well. But that that house is incredible to see the Home Alone House this time of the year. So that's another fun one.
Speaker 1: But hopefully when you walk into Home Alone House, Kevin doesn't have a booby trap for you.
Speaker 3: Kevin.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's always a good one. And by the way, you can see the tree house isn't there, but that's around the back. And if you look directly across the street, it's funny because you'll have other fans of Home Alone and you look across the street, go, that's the house they were robbing over there. There's some really cool things to see. Fort Christmas. This is a really a lot of people don't know about this place called Fort Christmas. They even have a place we descended. It's down in Florida and it's right to the east of Christmas, Florida, and it's a real fort that they built, and so you can actually visit Fort Christmas if you're down in Florida. They even do a sand Christmas tree down on the beaches. If you go further down into South Florida, they can somehow pack together sand, kind of like you would do any kind of sand sculpture. Yeah, and they make a Christmas tree out of it.
Speaker 2: Really amazing some.
Speaker 5: Of the things they do.
Speaker 1: Flash Phelps. This is incredible. And once again, our time has expired way too soon.
Speaker 2: Uh we could talk about the.
Speaker 5: Ice castles or the snow people in gatlin Burg.
Speaker 1: Oh no, next time, brother listen. Have a very merry Christmas, and you too. We look forward to hearing more about your travel logs on Sirius XM and hopefully on my show again.
Speaker 5: All Right, you got it. Always great to talk to.
Speaker 1: You, the incredible Flash Phelps Traveling America and uh, there's the there's the Christmas travel log for this year, Merry Christmas Eve, seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 15: Meanwhile, Chanted Forest, Eddie and Rocky head to a river for a rafting trip.
Speaker 2: Nope, we decided to call it off.
Speaker 15: Why you were both so excited to go?
Speaker 5: We were until we ran into this weirdo playing the banjo.
Speaker 15: But there are benjo players throughout the in tented forest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this one said we had Partie Mail.
Speaker 15: Oh that guy, I guess he's out of jail.
Speaker 2: We figured it was better to get back to the station to do our show.
Speaker 15: Good call, Eddie and Rock this afternoon to three on seven hundred WLW, the new and improved free iHeartRadio app is finally here, just in time.
Speaker 3: Here we are on Christmas.
Speaker 2: Ease into another hour of this Bill Cunningham Show. Garry jeffin for Willie once again didn't close.
Speaker 5: Giddy up.
Speaker 1: Santa Claus is coming to town, and so's another fantastic hour this afternoon for you. Coming up next, my friend historian philosopher h just a very very centered Christian guy and the author of Rediscovering America. Scott Powell with his thoughts on Christmas. Coming up next. Why I'm Jerry, the gingerbread man, the gingerbread woman.
Speaker 2: Those gingerbread people don't hang around that long this time of year.
Speaker 20: We've got to make the most of our time, how babe by.
Speaker 1: Five, That's why we listen to Eddian Rockey, Oh my arm.
Speaker 2: They're fun and you can be a part of Bye Bye.
Speaker 15: Legs and you can be a part of their show. They really make the holidays.
Speaker 5: See Oh dear the head shot Eddian Rocky This afternoon of three.
Speaker 19: On seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 5: Did you know that Zero's Carpet Cleaning is running their biggest sale of the year now three rooms are Carpet Cleaning.
Speaker 4: Travel When Christ.
Speaker 1: Was the divine night over two thousand years ago, when the Son of God came to earth and formed a new covenant with God's people, A savior is born. It's Christmas Eve. This is the Bill Cunningham Show. Gary Jeffinn for Willie and joining us. I can't think of anyone better to talk about the true meanings of Christmas and how it's important, so important to the United States of America than this guest, Scott Powell joins us, the author of Rediscovering America. My friend, Scott Powell, Merry Christmas Eve to you, Oh.
Speaker 12: Merry Christmas Eve to you, and especially to your great audience.
Speaker 1: All Right, so we're talking about what we're celebrating, and as I mentioned, in this country it is so fundamental to everything that this nation was built upon are Judea Christian roots and the celebration of the Christ Child's arrival on earth. The floor is yours, my friend, talk to me.
Speaker 12: Okay, Well, I think we could start out with what we might call the big picture, and when we think about what's common to everyone around the world, and we could say, really that across cultures, people have sought excuse me to flee oppression and escape persecution really from the beginning of recorded history, and a recurring theme in Western classical literature and in modern classics such as Superman and Disney Originals, which revolve around the struggle between good and evil. Is the need and the critical role for a rescuer or a savior. Everybody, everybody resonates with these themes, you know, these are And so when we think about that, the ultimate rescuer and savior for mankind would be a Messiah who would vanish, vanquish evil and oppression and falsehood once and for all. And it's no accident that only Christianity has its roots and its entire reason for being in the Messiah Jesus Christ. No other religion makes the claim that it was founded by Messiah. And so Christmas is the celebration of the birth of this Savior.
Speaker 13: And what an event I mean.
Speaker 12: You know, we know it's a magical time of year, you know, with all the wonderful music and the decorations and the Christmas lights. But the real meaning of it is that God came to the earth, took you know, took human form that we might be able to really understand and receive God himself. And of course through Easter and the resurrection, the death of Jesus that he died for our sins and was resurrected. Then that gives us an ongoing that that was the fulfillment of God's mission, was that his son would give his life for all of us. But Christmas is the big deal because it's just a very you know, joyous time, right the birth of the Savior. You know, a lot of people think approaching God's kind of difficult, impossible, but I.
Speaker 13: Would tell all your listeners that it's not so. As a matter of fact.
Speaker 12: In the Book of Matthew eleven thirty, Jesus says, my yoke is easy and my burden is light. And when I learned Jewish Pharisee, whose life revolved around living up to the stressful demands of the Mosaic Law. Asked Jesus, which was the greatest commandment in the law. Jesus answered simply that if we love God and love our neighbor as ourselves, we will have fulfilled all the laws.
Speaker 13: Now that sounds pretty simple. It's hard to do.
Speaker 2: It, but yeah, yes, it is difficult.
Speaker 1: In every day to day you get bogged down in this world's good and it's so easy to lose track of the things that are truly important, as far as Christmas is relevance and its importance to our country. I mean, it's the whole world was given this gift by God, obviously, but I feel a lot of times like I believe that this country was a gift from God to just just as Israel as the Holy Land, this country was a gift from God, this form of governance that had never been tried anywhere else in the world, you know, where every individual is respected by God given rights and those rights are to be protected by this very special republic that we have in the United States.
Speaker 2: Any thoughts on that.
Speaker 12: Well, first of all, very well, said Gary, Jeff. You know, we could even go go so far as to say that there never would have been a constitutional government created in the way and time that it was in America without two necessary conditions. First, the foundation of recognizes man's unalienable rights of freedom and equality that came out of the direct teachings of Christ, and those were more fully recognized due to the Protestant Reformation of the sixteenth century. So the Reformation came really right about after Columbus discovered America. It was fifteen seventeen that sort of marks the Reformation. The Columbus discovered the New World in fourteen ninety two. A second, the unprecedented collection of Christian human genius that came together rather amazingly at the time people that we call the Founding Fathers, who were deeply influenced by Christianity. The Founders knew the potential depravity that exists in everyone can lead to abuse of power and tyranny, and it was for that reason that they set about structuring government with checks and balances between the three branches of government, but also through a federalist system, a division of power between the states and the federal government. And if I could segue here, this is really interesting and most people probably never heard his story. But you know, a constitutional convention that was going to create a government would be a very arduous process, a long process, a very difficult process. Can you imagine the current politician political class today embarking on such a venture, sent a mission to create out of to create a new constitution.
Speaker 13: They would they couldn't do it. But these people were different.
Speaker 12: And when the debates, you know when the convention began in May of seventeen eighty seven, and that's when the Constitution Convention convened, and it wasn't yet super hot, but they were going to be working through this during the hot Philadelphia summer. This is all in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. But remember that, you know, there were conflects. These were thirteen different colonies of different sizes. They actually had become states by that time, but they were disparate states. They had different interest There were different sizes. Some were very populated, some were very unpopulated. There were small states like Rhode Island and Delaware in Connecticut, and then there were big states like Pennsylvania and Virginia and New York. How are they going to come up with something that would work for all those different states? Well, they couldn't come up with it. And they were about two and a half weeks, three weeks into the convention, and the convention was going to break down and disband and you know who stepped up and said, no, we're not going to give up. It was none other than Ben Franklin, the eldest statesman at the Constitutional Convention, a man whom many have called a Daist, that is to say, he doesn't really believe in a living God that that comes down and answers prayers and interacts with man. The Daists believe that God created the world and then set it in motion, and then he has nothing to do with us. That's who people have labeled Ben Franklin. Ben Franklin took, you know, took the leading role when it was going to when the convention was going to break down and call the convention to prayer, and they disbanded for a few days.
Speaker 13: And when they came back.
Speaker 12: There was a completely different spirit at that Constitutional Convention, and it was none other than Roger Sherman, a delegate from Connecticut, probably the most Christian man of all. He signed all of the founding documents, from the Declarations of the Articles of Confederation to the Constitution itself. Roger Sherman came up with a great compromise when which he said, we can do this. The small states and the big states can be accommodated. Every state shall get two senators in the upper chamber, and in the lower chamber there will be representative representatives. So large states that are very populated will have more representatives in the lower chamber. Now we just take that for granted, like, wow, that's of course that makes sense. But back then they didn't have that vision. But God gave them that vision. And so it was that that that impass was overcome and the spirit of the Constitution Convention proceeded with more accommodation and more congeniality and cooperation and willingness, you know, to compromise, because of course you have to compromise to get such an incredible.
Speaker 13: You know, uh agreement, a governing document.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Well, Scott Powell, what is your favorite way to celebrate Christmas?
Speaker 12: Well? I I love Christmas Eve.
Speaker 3: For a couple of reason.
Speaker 12: One is this great anticipation, right, it's anticipation. And in going to church, I happen to go to a church that has a candlelight, candlelight ceremony, they're beautiful and wonderful Christmas Carol. So for me, that is the best way to prepare for Christmas Day. And then, of course, you know gifts giving, and the greatest gift to all.
Speaker 5: Of us is Jesus Christ.
Speaker 12: And in that spirit, though we like to give, the wise men brought gifts for Jesus, and we have carried on that tradition by giving gifts to our loved one. And it's and it's a great it's a it's a great tradition. Christian tradition is a great tradition.
Speaker 1: On this Christmas Eve in America, in Cincinnati and in the tri State, we wish you and yours a very merry Christmas and thank you for spending part of our time.
Speaker 2: With us today.
Speaker 1: Scott Powell Rediscovering America is a fantastic book, and Scott writes regularly for different publications. He is a senior fellow at the Discovery Institute, and we're proud to call him a friend.
Speaker 12: Merry Christmas, Scott, Oh, you're so kind, and Merry Christmas to your entire audience.
Speaker 13: Thank you, sir, and goodwill to all men.
Speaker 5: Amen.
Speaker 2: Amen, really awake.
Speaker 17: At night worrying about what to buy everyone on your holiday list.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's stressful and.
Speaker 17: Half the time you don't even get the right thing. Well, Sketchers is here for a holiday rescue with hands free Sketcher Slippins, the right gift for everyone on your list.
Speaker 4: Think about it.
Speaker 17: People love their shoes, and once they try hands free Sketcher Slippins, it takes that love to a whole new level. Why because with hands free Sketcher slippins, you just step into.
Speaker 13: Them and they're on.
Speaker 17: There's no bending down, no touching your shoes, no retying laces. Plus, Sketcher Slippins are affect for everyone moms, dads, grandparents, kids, friends, coworkers. Just sneak into their closet, get their shoe size, and you're good to go. Plus they come in everyone's favorite styles and colors, from sneakers to casual shoes, even winter boots. And they look so stylish and they're the most comfortable shoes they'll ever wear.
Speaker 2: So this season safe time.
Speaker 17: Quitch you're worrying and get everyone on your list hands free Sketchers slippins. Holiday crisis averted.
Speaker 4: Now go get some rest.
Speaker 17: Find them for the holidays at a sketcher's store, sketterers dot com, or wherever stylish footwear is sold.
Speaker 20: Over the years, you've brought them into your home. You were prescribed opioids after the C section, when Dad entered his back, when your basketball star tores acl opioids helped with the pain, and.
Speaker 4: You held on to them just in case. But did you know holding onto unused.
Speaker 20: Opioids puts your family at risk. Opioids are powerful pain reducing prescription medicines, but most people who are prescribed opioids don't finish their prescriptions. So millions of unused opioids are sitting at homes across the country, and tragically, more than one hundred Americans die every day from overdoses involving opioids. What can you do to protect your family remove the risk of unused opioids from your home, pills patches or syrups and drawers, purses and cabinets anywhere they might be hiding. To find out how to dispose of them properly, visit www dot FDA dot gov slash drug disposal.
Speaker 9: I'm Tiffany. I have some tips for you on how to quit smoking like I did. First, I did some reading about it. I found a lot of great advice on how to quit smoking and picked out the ways I thought would work best for me. I started by setting a quit date. Then I threw out my ash trays, lighters, and matches. I did other things too, like exercising more, and it worked, but I'd still get cravings, especially on long car rides. To help me with that, I put a picture of my mother in my car. She died of lung cancer from smoking cigarettes when I was only sixteen. Now I have a sixteen year old daughter. That picture of my mother reminds me that I don't want to miss all the things my daughter is going to do in her life, including turning seventeen.
Speaker 3: You can quit for free help call one eight hundred quit Now.
Speaker 19: A message from the US Department of Health and Human Services and CDC.
Speaker 15: News powered by Rictor and Philips Juelers voted best place to buy your engagement ring since eighteen ninety six. News, Traffic and Weather