Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of February third, we're continuing with Lost Season two, episode seven, The other forty eight days, and man, was that a rough time they had there.
Speaker 3: They did not have.
Speaker 1: As many good times as the uh Midsection folk. They saw absolutely every second of their time on the island.
Speaker 3: These guys, we just see the bad stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no golf game. Yeah, we found a stash of candy bars and peanut butter like just misery after misery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't really have a Hurley there for comic relief to the no. You know, Bernard could have maybe risen to that, but he's too upset about Rose.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So man, that was just and it kind of reminded me.
Speaker 1: I mean, Anna Lucia had the same role in that group as Jack did in the other, right, but you know, it was sort of thrust into it. You know, she was very heroic and positive at the beginning and you know, doing but then suddenly when everybody's asking you to do things and to make decisions and what should we do here? And everybody's looking to you and there's a cry, and then you just you're doing the best you can. Yeah, but sometimes you make mistakes. I feel like Jack had a little more coverage, She had more people to spread out the responsibility to, and you know, nobody just stopped talking for forty days and you know, so she seemed like the downside of that sort of thing where you step up to take responsibility and then everybody hates your living guts for the rest of the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you short, you did that, you believed him. What are you doing? Why are you doing that? Should you be doing that.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if it's because she's a woman or because she doesn't I don't know. Isn't Jack has a charm that she doesn't.
Speaker 3: Have or what?
Speaker 2: But that.
Speaker 1: Familiar to any mom? I think, Yeah, for sure, you asked me to be in charge, second guessed me every second.
Speaker 3: Along the way. What do you want me to do here? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And you know they did have the mid section folk had one person taken. They had nine people taken, right, very scary. In the kids, we found the owner of the.
Speaker 3: Teddy Bear, the teddy bear, tidy bear on a string. Teddy Bear was a plant. So when we saw it again, we would have gone with that kid. That was the kid that was upsetting right.
Speaker 1: Just you know, I don't think she ever had a moment where she felt like, okay, yeah, everything's okay now, yeah, settled. You know, I have to figure out who the mole is and I have to do this unpopular thing of torturing.
Speaker 3: This guy until he talks.
Speaker 1: Who may have been actually a passenger was still yeah?
Speaker 2: They was that ever, like made clear what the deal was with Nathan. I feel like I guess he must have been a passenger because otherwise Goodwin, who was the plant from the other wouldn't have killed him, right.
Speaker 3: When right he would have would win.
Speaker 1: Ohy, you know from the first minute that that's there's your mole and she just doesn't see it for a while. Yeah, gods, but Nathan did not do himself any favors. No, you can't go to the bathroom by yourself, dude, But come on, people are suspecting you. Let them be mad because you pooped in the ash pit, not because you're out in the jungle for too long. He just he just did everything he possibly could to look suspicious. Yes, but he's canadiancy so, you know, not real talkative. I guess, don't like all these markens. Yeah, so man, that was rough and I I felt for her, especially since we left alf after the last episode with her having shot Shannon, and was like, oh, what a terrible person. But you can see how she gets to that point, right and how probably she would say, could somebody just throw me into a pit?
Speaker 3: I could use an out right demand in charge.
Speaker 2: I don't like it, yeah, exactly, And you know it was as we said, she started out with a smaller group and yeah, she lost a lot more of them than right, and the other ones did than Jack did.
Speaker 3: For example.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when you lose so many and when you're in such constant fear, then there's much more pressure on you to make decisions and much more latitude of other people to say that was the wrong thing to do, whereas Jack had a little more time and.
Speaker 3: A little less direness. Right, but yikes. Yes.
Speaker 1: Also from a parenting point of view, there was a lot of this I promise you'll get home soon, and I promise it's going to be okay and all these things, and it's like, ooh, always make those promises, don't we, even when we know it's not true.
Speaker 3: Should we make those promises? What is the latest in parenting advice on this?
Speaker 2: I think, don't.
Speaker 3: What are you supposed to say to the kid?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, she probably thinks you're dead now, so yeah, who knows? And who knows if you'll ever see your mom? You'll probably die on this island.
Speaker 3: Who knows?
Speaker 2: Well, early on they didn't know that, right, I mean early on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they were like, even so you're going to get so sunburned, little blonde girl, it's going to be miserable. Let me go set this guy's leg Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was impressive.
Speaker 1: It's it's just like, what do you say in those situations? What do you say to kids if you're in a situation where you're scared and you don't know what's going to happen, and you have to say something that's going to make them not be crazy, but whatever it is is going to be a lie, right that. I think we've all been in that position once or in a while, and oftentimes.
Speaker 3: I just yell but I don't know, I don't know, and then they shut up. But not when they were little. I didn't do that. Now that the adults I do. Sometimes I'm you do.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like you've you've heard that, you know, if they have to get a shot, you know, don't be like I promise it won't hurt. It will hurt, and you have to say it's it will hurt, but it will be over quickly or whatever.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Neither of those works, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: No, And it doesn't work in the situation of we're going to be on this island for an indeterminate period. Yeah, someone may come and kidnap you, right right, and uh, you know, I mean even echo saying it's going to be okay, it is totally not going to be okay, man, I had to tell you.
Speaker 3: It's nice you.
Speaker 1: Start talking again. But maybe the silence was helpful.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Oh, dear, well, it was good that Anna Lucia finally you know, had a small little breakdown and let some of her yes, let some of her feelings out, although clearly it didn't work because yes, she's still acting the same way when we first met her, which was after right after that or yeah it was after that, yeah, yeah, a lot of trauma, yes, all around.
Speaker 3: I really super related to her.
Speaker 1: Just lately, when she said to mister echo, what needs to happen to make you talk? I think I'm gonna have to use that on my son. You know, he makes a face like something hurts him.
Speaker 3: What's wrong? Nothing? What's wrong? Nothing? I'm fine, fine, fun.
Speaker 1: I feel like saying what needs to happen to make you talk?
Speaker 3: So? But yes, what do I need to do? I did take a.
Speaker 2: Pet also, like it when she's like, why do you think I'm digging this pit?
Speaker 3: I mean, how long did it take? That was huge?
Speaker 2: That pit?
Speaker 4: She's sixty seven person, but she's determined. Oh my gosh, I mean that thing was like the dirt was scared it got out of her way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like yeah, yeah if she did all by herself.
Speaker 3: How soft is this soil here in the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's.
Speaker 1: It seems where Bernard is up in a tree in his seat, oh man, yeah, next to a dead person.
Speaker 3: Was there somebody else like up in a tree? Well, you know, the pilot was up the pilot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the only one I remember that there was somebody else who was maybe, but U well was it the grab the tree just in time?
Speaker 3: Like like I wouldn't know once I grabbed the tree, Well, okay, I.
Speaker 2: Know, wouldn't he just like kind of slide right down?
Speaker 3: Think?
Speaker 2: Wasn't the other person that was in a tree the the dead priest.
Speaker 3: From the oh yeah? Could have been from the plane?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah yeah, the little plane, the little plane, the religious plane. Yes, so apparently, according to lost Pedia, when Bernard was playing with the radio, he heard boone in that little plane.
Speaker 3: Yeah I thought.
Speaker 2: It was the raft.
Speaker 1: Yeah I thought so too. It doesn't matter. Yeah, nothing happened right in either way, it would be bringing us along.
Speaker 2: Survivors, you know, not not anybody who could do anything to help them.
Speaker 3: So yeah, no, point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, so apparently the the good people were on the list, so they were picking up the good people.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, the children they had enough.
Speaker 1: You've been through all this trauma. Now you're not not I'm not good enough for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not good enough for the others.
Speaker 3: It's a good guy. Isn't he a good guy? What rose?
Speaker 1: Is he not a good guy? Looks like a good guy. Yeah, they're gonna come back for him. But so that's giving it a little twist.
Speaker 2: Right, But yeah, but they had a list.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Goodwin says the kids are better off, which I guess if they have, you know, a shelter and three squares in a bathroom, they're better off, but.
Speaker 3: Probably not for the long run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, their teddy bear has to live its life on the end of a string.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right guy. What's happened to you that you're not at least picking up your bear?
Speaker 1: Just let him drag That doesn't speak well no way they're saying to me, Yes.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 1: I was impressed by the acting from Brent Cullen, who played Goodwin. I could like see him calculating who knows what? Yeah, and what you know what to say, and what to do and stuff is do a very good job at that, I thought, But I wasn't sad to see him and pealed on a stick.
Speaker 2: Yes, well it's it's it also though, harks back to Ethan, like, yes, we need information also, and we are not going to get it from dead bodies.
Speaker 3: That's right. Yeah, maybe think that through a little bit. But I don't know. I think it was No. I know I wouldn't satisfying.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I was ready for that guy to get run through with this sick yes, so so calculating and the one person that she could trust and then he drins out to be the bad guy.
Speaker 3: Come on right, Oh well.
Speaker 2: No wonder she's sitting by the river crying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, things are rough, things are not good.
Speaker 1: At one point, she says, this is just her life now, Oh ye really.
Speaker 2: I know it's it's been like what forty days?
Speaker 3: Like that's not a bad. Yeah, And I know.
Speaker 2: It's bad, and I know it has been the worst forty days of your legends.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 1: All of these people have a lot going on, might not be the worst forty days of their life.
Speaker 3: You don't know what this was.
Speaker 1: This was the first episode that did not have any pre flight flashbacks, right, it was all just flashbacks from their various different points of view about what happened on the island, right, So, and that was a little different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they're the only sort of hints of like you get the idea that I'm a lusium us to have been in the military or something, you know, to know everything that she knows. And there was the very long pause when asked if she was a parent. Yeah, right, she said no, but she waited a very long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, little things like that.
Speaker 1: Maybe she maybe she like Doug latrines in the military or something, or trenches where she got her good diggings.
Speaker 3: Yes, a pit, not no problem.
Speaker 2: I got this, no worries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ye.
Speaker 1: Well, now we're all caught up to where we were at the last end of the last episode. And so now we go forward with the two groups coming together in whatever way. Hopefully, well they won't blame everybody else for uh Shannon's death. Just we'll say the name of the episode. Oh, yes, the name of the episode is Collision. That doesn't sound promises, right, She's gonna have to take another pit, y'all are going in the pits?
Speaker 3: Unless you do what I say.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: At least Rose can can vouch for Bernard and Jack. Maybe remember seeing Nilssy on the in the bar and Michael and Sawyer and Jin can well maybe not Jin could talk to just dull Sun.
Speaker 3: They're okay, yeah, I don't know. It's gonna be rough, but.
Speaker 1: You know what this I think we can all agree that what this show needed the most was an infusion of more characters.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, a couple of people have died. We need more.
Speaker 1: Come on, let's let's round up seven more people to come over here and make trouble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no kidding, Yeah, so many more. We haven't had flashbacks on any of these people period Island. Just think.
Speaker 2: Plus we now know many stories. There's, however, many others that belonged to all those legs that we saw a few weeks ago eight right, Well, some one of those legs was the Little Boy.
Speaker 3: But yes, yes, but.
Speaker 2: There were speaking of as we were a number of characters. There were just quite a lot of legs.
Speaker 3: As we said, there really were there there.
Speaker 1: I think that this is not spoiling anything to say this is not the last infusion of new characters.
Speaker 3: We're going to have despite being on.
Speaker 1: A deserted desert island. The cast continues too well, used to grow.
Speaker 3: We found a pet, there's some people in here, come on out, but we also took out a couple. Let's just say that's true balance.
Speaker 1: You know, there's oh well we added as well as track for a show that for a show that took place on an uncharted desert island.
Speaker 3: There's really quite a lot of people by the end of this show.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of coming and going.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 1: So next Tuesday, then we will continue with season two, episode out of Lost Collision, and we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss a man on the inside. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years,