Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You know we'll get through this long.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like a boy scout's knot.
Speaker 3: He put in here using wire. Yeah, I'm using straightened out paper clips.
Speaker 1: I didn't do that.
Speaker 2: He doesn't remember.
Speaker 4: You didn't do this.
Speaker 1: You swear to God. You swear on Jesus. Yeah, no, you don't swear on Jesus.
Speaker 5: Now Jesus is upset for several reasons.
Speaker 3: Uh, Gary Shannon KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. On It's Friday, and I think it's the twenty fourth.
Speaker 1: I was excited when I woke up today and I thought it's Friday.
Speaker 5: We have a big Friday show to do.
Speaker 1: Or it may have been the four shots of espresso, one of which I got all over myself.
Speaker 3: One of which is on the front of your sweet shirt. So only three shots?
Speaker 1: What's our flashback Friday year eighty eight eighty eight? I have something to tell you right out of the gate.
Speaker 2: Is this more about your coffee spill?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: That okay, we're not gonna let it have more oxygen in our lives?
Speaker 2: Is it good news? Is it?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 5: It was something that we talked about yesterday.
Speaker 1: I remember how we talked about the movies nominated for Best Picture for the Oscars, and my parents used to have a thing where they'd watch all of them, you know, back when they were the movies that weren't just catering to whatever the popular topic was in America today. Yes, and when they were just good and they weren't esoteric, and they weren't art for the sake of being art and Hollywood just doing hand stuff with these with each other, when they were like just good blockbuster movies, right.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So I was like, you know what, I'm going to try and watch more of the movies. I had seen one on the Oscars list, being The Substance. So I started a Nora last night. Okay, I am to be honest. I am about halfway through. It's about a two hour film. I've watched about an hour of it in a little bit and change. I see where it's headed. I see the storyline. It's it's trash, it's pornography. It is not exciting dialogue, the plot's not exciting. The acting is not incredible. I don't know why it's up for Best Picture unless and then in the next half of the movie if there's a one eighty, but it's not going to erase the first hour, which is just watching a young girl strip naked and have sex with people, like it's just it.
Speaker 5: What are we doing?
Speaker 1: And I'm not the morality police, obviously, but it's awful. I mean, the fact that this is up for Best Picture. Why if it was maybe really well acted, the dialogue, the plot, anything, it was different, it was artistic something.
Speaker 2: And it's none of those things.
Speaker 1: No, maybe I'm way off base, and let me know if I am, but I have not seen the magic in that over the first hour.
Speaker 3: I don't know anything about it other than what you've just said. I mean to know the basic plot.
Speaker 1: I mean the synopsis I read yesterday was a stripper meets a rich guy at the strip club, and it's this princess tale, but not like Princess Diaries type stuff. It's grittier. It's darker, dirtier, right, But I haven't found a redeeming situation. I see a love story developing, but other than that, it does not get rid of all of the things that I mean, if you're worried about the gore and the substance, wait till you get you feel gross watching a twenty two year old dance naked and have sex for money?
Speaker 2: What made you stop watching?
Speaker 1: I went to sleep, okay, so I wanted No, it wasn't that I was enjoying it. I'm just waiting for the they're there, like, I'll finish it to find out maybe I'm wrong, Maybe there'll be some sort of redeeming thing that will erase the first hour of just absolute smut and vulgarity.
Speaker 5: I know, down for that.
Speaker 1: Well, I like it when it's people that aren't doing it for money, you know, like this the Moviesaid Deborah and I watch that have a little sex in it. It's usually a love it is. It's more of a love thing. This is just this is the sad love mad. It's sad.
Speaker 2: We have a big Friday show.
Speaker 3: You're right, we haven't done a big Friday show for a while, so that means, of course we're going to do our nine news nugget. You need to know what you learned this week on The Gary and Shannon Show. Late in the show, you can always leave us a talkback message. Just hit that little microphone button while you're listening on the iHeart app and let us know what you learned. This week, President Trump is on his way out to California. He's stopping in North Carolina. First, he's going to be talking with first responders and some of the victims of Hurricane Helene after it made its way through.
Speaker 1: And then La This is going to be to obviously tour the fire damage. Gavin Newsom says he's excited to meet him and provide whatever resources he needs.
Speaker 3: There's okay, we have a lot to talk about when it comes to those two because supposedly Gavin Newsom was one of the people who invited President Trump back before he was president, invited him to come to Caloruna.
Speaker 5: I'm sensing a trap.
Speaker 1: I'm sensing Trump going to Houston and playing the Texans like I'm sensing there's Gavin's got something up his sleeve.
Speaker 3: Well, Gavin has said he never heard back from the president's official team, but that he is in communication with people who are close to Trump now. I don't know if he's still dropping dimes to Kimberly Gilfoyle, and that he considers her in the circles or not because she's not. But he has said he's going to meet President Trump at the base of the staircase of Air Force One when he lands this afternoon.
Speaker 1: They haven't spoken since twenty twenty. I believe Trump and Gavin Newsom oh ps. The big headline this hour is that Trump proposes getting rid of FEMA the States to take care of themselves.
Speaker 5: We'll have all the latest coming out.
Speaker 3: We'll do that when we come back. Also your chance at one thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Just on the other side, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from kfi AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Gary and Shannon kfi AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeart Rate.
Speaker 2: I mean, Pete Carroll was great.
Speaker 5: Oh great coach.
Speaker 1: He's infectious, he's got a great personality. I think he's wonderful at what he did. But it's it's time to go. It's done. And the Raiders trying to breathe life into that. I mean, it's with your seventy four year old head incess bride stuff to me.
Speaker 2: It's also the.
Speaker 3: Just the brand that is the Raiders. Yeah, go for a younger aggressive I mean John Gruden's style coach right, right, right, Pete Carroll's seventy four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's got more energy than a lot of forty year old and that's that's true.
Speaker 2: But still, I mean, I think you're right. The heyday was was a while ago. The Senate voted yesterday.
Speaker 3: We told you to advance thenomination of Pete Hegseth to be Trump's Secretary of Defense. That was a fifty one to forty nine vote on a procedural measure to end debate. They are expected to vote in the entire Senate for his confirmation, but it will be close. That is expected to come late today. The world's largest iceberg, a wall of ice the size of Rhode Island, is headed towards a remote island off of Antarctica that's home to millions of penguins and seals.
Speaker 2: They called this a megaburg.
Speaker 3: It's a trillion ton slab of ice they're saying could slam into South Georgia Island and either get stuck or maybe guided around it by the currents. If it gets stuck, they said it could make it hard for penguin parents to feed their babies, and that some penguin babies could even start.
Speaker 5: We've got to go there and feed the baby penguin.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to get to South Georgia Island.
Speaker 1: Well, we can start to try and research that.
Speaker 3: It also seems like the iceberg itself is large enough. You could probably land on the iceberg.
Speaker 1: Sure, And then we could bring little baby fish for the baby penguins, feed them like this.
Speaker 2: We could bring them some delta smelt.
Speaker 1: We don't have any leftew, very hard to find them.
Speaker 3: Before we get into our story about the fires and the president and the governor, et cetera, we have a chance for you to win one thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars just enter this nationwide keyword on our website grand.
Speaker 2: That's Grand, g R A N D.
Speaker 4: Enter it now at KFIAM six forty dot com. Slash cash powered by Sweet James Accident Attorneys. If you're hurting an accident, Winning is everything, call the winning attorneys at Sweet James one eight hundred nine million that's one eight hundred nine million or sweet James dot com.
Speaker 3: Grand is your keyword goes on the website. Email is how we notify you that you want and we'll try another hour from now to give you a thousand bucks.
Speaker 1: It's just into the Gary and Shannon show. So President Trump is scheduled to arrive at LAX about two thirty this afternoon ahead of his visit to the Pacific Palisades burn area.
Speaker 5: That's going to be fun traffic time, is it not?
Speaker 1: Stay away from West LA this afternoon?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have fun on that Friday evening commute.
Speaker 1: You can guarantee that I would. I would stay away for days.
Speaker 3: Didn't we do a didn't we do TV over there one day when the president or vice president was in town?
Speaker 5: Never again?
Speaker 1: Well, for a couple of reasons. Three twenty I don't think I ever aged into television, but I've certainly aged out. At three twenty five, Trump and the First Lady will take a tour of the Pacific Palisades neighborhood along with the LA Fire Department officials and three homeowners affected by the fire. He's going to go to a briefing at four h five in the Palisades. That meeting will include Mayor Karen Bass, eight members of California's congressional delegation, Catherine Barger, and some other people that you don't know or I don't know either, just executives with the water and Energy people. Gavin Newsome, this is a note not on the list of attendees at either of the President's events. So if he does meet with him, it's going to be that tarmac photo op meeting where you've got to believe it is scripted to the t in terms of body language, in terms of hand movements, in terms of facial expressions, all of it is going to be coyographed.
Speaker 2: Because this on which Gavin, because.
Speaker 1: This is Gavin's photo op that he's going to use to run for president.
Speaker 5: I guarantee it.
Speaker 1: Trumps scheduled to leave Lax shortly before six pm en route to Las Vegas, which means he's got to get to Lax by six pm.
Speaker 5: Again, don't go.
Speaker 1: If you live in West La move I would move early afternoon.
Speaker 2: I think they helicopter him. They do.
Speaker 1: But still the airspace, all of it, the traffic, it's a mess.
Speaker 5: It's just going to be a mess.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So speaking of just do you want to hear from Gavin First or Trump?
Speaker 2: Because pick your point, all right.
Speaker 3: So Gavin first, talking specifically, he was asked yesterday about the two and a half billion dollars the state has approved for some of the initial wild wildfire relief. And the question was about his relationship with Trump and what's going to happen today, knowing that he wasn't actually part of that guest list, if you.
Speaker 7: Will, I communicate with a lot of folks around him, folks that have his ear and influence folks. So I don't want this is a side show a lot of this stuff, but I know it's the show that's probably the focus of a little bit too much tomorrow, when all I care about is what we can do together, Okay.
Speaker 3: And I hope that that is absolutely true. Now here's the other part that you were mentioning about FEMA. In the interview that Trump did with Hannity on Fox this week, he discussed FEMA and what it has become or had to become under the Biden administration.
Speaker 8: FEMA is going to be a whole big discussion very shortly, because I'd rather see this. States take care of their own problems, you don't need, and then the federal government can help them out with the money. The FEMA is getting in the way of everything.
Speaker 2: He said, we're looking at the same concept of FEMA. The concept.
Speaker 3: When North Carolina gets hit, the governor takes care of it. When Florida gets hit, the governor takes care of it. That the states take care of it. And he says to have a group of people come in from an area they don't even know where they're going in order to solve immediately a problem is something that never worked for me.
Speaker 5: Isn't that what goes on now though?
Speaker 1: Isn't that the status quo that the states handle the initial response, local government's, county, regional, state, and then FEMA does come in with that federal money and kind of comes in secondhand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and does the bigger things that the state may not be able to do. It coordinates sources from outside the state that they could bring in that the federal government would have the control over.
Speaker 1: There are certain states that can handle their own business California, Florida, Texas, well, Texas here and there, but there are a number of that need FEMA because they're just not big enough to have that kind of infrastructure to respond to a disaster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and listen.
Speaker 3: Part of what he's doing is retribution for the allegations that FEMA was politicized under the Biden administration. That's what he is fighting back against. He wants to at least try to unpoliticize it, which in some cases can be seen as him politicizing it for his side. Listen, it's FEMA is a is an agency that is absolutely necessary and has proven itself time and time again.
Speaker 2: Is there a way to tighten it up.
Speaker 3: And is there a way for maybe FEMA to simply write checks for the state, because to his point, the state understands what they need. The state and local governments understand what they need more so than some federal bureaucrat based somewhere in a suburb of Virginia. Absolutely, but FEMA is not just solely an organization that has employees that live in the DC area. FEMA is all over the country. I think we're in District nine here. I think that's where we've been getting these email press releases from. So when we come back, we'll talk about the what President Trump has said he wants from California. He didn't necessarily say he was tying it to federal relief funds, but he's been very clear about what he wants from the state of California. And once again, the top of the map where the water is apparently flows down to the bottom of the map where the water isn't at least according in his brain.
Speaker 2: According to his brain.
Speaker 5: Gary and Shannon will continue it.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: So I'm not going out on a limb here thinking that maybe you guys didn't have dessert after of course we did, oh about it was dessert.
Speaker 2: Spirit Airlines is shaken up.
Speaker 3: It's in flight policies, new dress codes that they've unveiled. You cannot wear revealing clothing, you cannot display offensive tattoos, and this is part of their contract of carriage. So Spirit Airlines is making it official that when you book your tickets, you click the little box that says you agree to their contract of carriage. So don't be surprised when you get kicked off your next flight from Spirit.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, California is going to spend two point five billion to help the area recover from the wildfires with this relief package signed yesterday, two point five billion for the States emergency disaster response efforts, evacuations, shelter, things like that, removing household hazardous waste, which has been kind of one of those things that this seems to have been procrastinated upon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a everything. Infrastructure of every kind has been affected by these fires, will continue to be affected. If we see more wins coming in. There's a chance that with the rain coming in, we will see some mud slides and that could cause even more problems.
Speaker 1: Steven Keller is the Pacific market president with Verizon, joins us now about how Verizon plans to help get things back up and running.
Speaker 5: Steven, thanks for coming on.
Speaker 9: It's my pleasure. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Let's discuss what kind of things that companies like yours can do in the aftermath of something like we've seen the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thank you very much. So first and foremost, you know, on behalf of the company, we are deeply, deeply committed to the Los Angeles area. You know, my team and I we live, work and play in Los Angeles. So this is more than just personal. You know, when you think about Southern California to home to Verizon employees, So when disaster strikes, it's personal. So we support the community's hardest hit. We're doing so knowing that we're helping our friends, family, and neighbors as well, so we're waving charges for the hardest hit areas. Connectivity shouldn't be a luxury and a crisis, which is why we're waiving call, text and data fees for customers in California's hardest hit counties. We're also offering relief in the nine area stores closest to the impacted areas. We're providing free charging, Wi Fi, bottle water. Because when our communities need a helping hand, we always show up. We've also partnered with the Red Cross. I myself have personally been to the American Red Cross shelter in Pasadena near Altadena. We're teaming up with the Red Cross. We're bringing free Wi Fi and charging stations to multiple shelters, ensuring no one is isolated when they need help the most, and that matters. I've seen it personally. We've also got a WEK set up in the Malibu First Command Center. WEX stands for Wireless Emergency Communications Center. It's a lifeline for families. We provide free device charging, Wi Fi access to our network. It's one more way we're making sure that people stay stay in touch during this crisis. And we all know that having connectivity is really where it's that. And finally, I'll just tell you I'm very proud to reiterate that our one million dollar donation reflects our deep roots in these communities. We've made a one million dollar pledge split into five hundred thousand dollars to the LA Fire Department Foundation for our essential firefighting tools and another five hundred thousand to the Red Cross to support recovery efforts right here at home in Los Angeles. So our commitment has always been to first responders, our commitments to the community, our commitments to our friends' family, neighbors.
Speaker 1: Steven, awesome, good to hear. Nice to see a companies stepping up again. Verizon free charging and Wi Fi all local retail store locations if you're looking for a Wi Fi spot where you don't have to spend any money.
Speaker 2: Steven, thanks for your time.
Speaker 9: Thank you very much, you too appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Steven Keller, there again, Pacific Market President for Verizon. This issue of money coming from the federal government is hopefully not tied to conditions, but President Trump has been talking about the potential for there to be some things that he'd like to see in the state of California, and he added a new one today in terms of what he would like to see for the state of California, maybe as a condition for federal moneys coming in. Is it it's not ponies, It's not free pony rides.
Speaker 2: Not free pony rides.
Speaker 5: Is it food for the baby penguins?
Speaker 2: Also? No, okay, there are not a lot of penguins in California. I mean there are. Something.
Speaker 1: Doesn't mean we can't do our part to go to George Island or or Georgia whatever.
Speaker 2: Excellent point.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: I am very intrigued by Trump's call to unseal or unredact the files about the JFKRFK and m l K assassination files. A lot in there, a lot of people worried about this, people that work under the umbrella of places called the CIA and the FBI. Trump's of a certain age. My dad was the same way. A little obsessed with the assassinations, a little obsessed with what the government wasn't telling us, a little obsessed about was he the lone gunman on the grassy Knoll? And what role did the CIA play. Oh, he was in the book depository. You mean was there was he doing in Mexico City? What did he act alone? How was the FBI involved with JFK and all the tapes surrounding JFK's romance an affair with Marilyn Monroe in her effort to expose him. The FBI was entrenched in that whole affair, and the CIA was entrenched and the FBI as well in MLK and his affairs. It's just dirty, dirty, It's a anora, it's a nourra up in those files.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: President Trump is live in Swanna Noah, North Carolina. He's holding a news conference with some of the victims of Hurricane Helene, who have said that the federal government hasn't done enough to help them out.
Speaker 2: Before he left, No, I take that back.
Speaker 3: When he landed in North Carolina this morning at the airport, he was asked several questions about what this trip is going to be again North Carolina, California, and the Nevada throughout the day today, and he discussed a few things. First of all, about what he's going to do here in California.
Speaker 6: We're gonna do a good job in California, that is a disaster like I don't know if we've ever seen anything like it. Frankly, they say the biggest in the history of California. I think has anything bigger than that happened in the whole country. Ever, it looks like I don't want to say what it looks like, but you know what I'm going to say. It looks like something hit it. And we won't talk about what hited. But it is a bad, bad situation, and I guess I'm gonna beet with some government officials, but I mean much more importantly, and in California, just to revert to it for a second, millions of gallons of water are waiting to be poured down through already the half pipes that are already built. I mean they've been up for forty years. And about twenty years ago they turned off the water. And it's the water that comes from the Pacific northwest.
Speaker 4: Some of it comes out.
Speaker 6: Of Canada and it floats there and it probably has flowed there for a million years, and they turned it off and they routed out to the Pacific. And in the meantime, you don't have water in the hydrants, you don't have water in the sprinkler systems. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen. And everyone's trying to figure out why aren't they turning it back. They say it's the delta's smelt that say fish. But I find that hard to believe. But we'll figure it out.
Speaker 3: Okay, Can somebody get Doug Bergham on the phone. He's going to be the Department of Interior secretary and explain how water, how water works in the Western United States, just for a moment. Just get somebody in there so he'll stop saying that water comes from the Pacific Northwest through halfpipes. I I don't even know. Listen, I don't even know what he's talking about it anymore. And it's it's the it's the ridiculous thing that no one close enough to him has the ability to say to him, you're misspeaking when.
Speaker 2: You do this.
Speaker 1: We have gotten a lot of heat about this, which is weird. People are dying on the Trump is right about the water hill.
Speaker 3: And the valve, and the valve, the valve that apparently exists somewhere in central Oregon.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to have the conversation about moving water from northern California and the snowpack and the whole bit down to southern California. I'm happy to have the water reclamation talk, the reservoir.
Speaker 3: Talk, what what share farmers should get where. We're happy to have all that. Absolutely the realistic talk, dealing in reality. And it's not us saying that Trump's a bad thing. It's it's just that, show me, show me the math on that, and I'm happy to to dive into it. But there has been no I don't I don't know what valve he's speaking of, nobody to water experts. I've read ad nauseum articles from takes on people who live and breathe.
Speaker 2: Water, water and culture.
Speaker 5: They are completely flummoxed.
Speaker 3: So he had said in that interview with Fox that one of the things he's thinking of is withholding federal funds until California gets since water policy.
Speaker 2: To a position that he wants to see. He added something to that today, I want to.
Speaker 6: See two things in Los Angeles. Voter ID so that the people have a chance to vote, and I want to see the water be released and come down into Los Angeles and throughout the state. Those are the two things. After that, I will be the greatest president that California has ever seen.
Speaker 4: Well there, I.
Speaker 6: Want the water to come down and come down to Los Angeles and also go out to all the farmland that's barren and dry. You know, they have land that they say is the equivalent of the land in Iowa, which is about as good as there is anywhere on earth. The problem is it's artificial because they artificially stop the water from going onto the land. So I want two things. I want voter ID for the people of California. They all want it right now. You don't have voter ID. People want to have voter identification, You want to have proof of citizenship, ideally have one day voting. But I just want voter ideas to start, and I want the water to be released. And they're going to get a lot of help from the US.
Speaker 3: Okay, So he didn't actually in those comments tie voter ID to whether or not we get federal management federal relief money for fires, but it was an I don't know where the ID. I agree with him we should have voter ID, but I don't know why it came up in this context. So he is on his way to California A little bit later, Like I said, he's in North Carolina right now and hearing from and holding a news conference with some of the members of Swanna Noah, North Carolina, little town that was ripped apart by Hurricane Helene few months ago.
Speaker 2: We'll revisit some of this stuff.
Speaker 3: This will continue, and like we said, there's going to be some traffic nightmare issues coming later this afternoon, especially on the west side, since he is going to be landing at Lax later.
Speaker 5: Today coming up next.
Speaker 1: It was possibly the first great televised event in our country's history.
Speaker 5: It wasn't great.
Speaker 1: It was the assassination, the end of innocence, the assassination of JFK. Maybe one of the reasons why Trump loves it so much, or loves the idea of unredacting the remaining files that have not been released about the assassination of JFK, RFK and MLK Junior. Because he loves television and he loves the drama, and he even said, this is going to be a big one, Isn't it?
Speaker 2: Miss any part of our show? Make sure you listen to the podcast.
Speaker 3: Go to KFIAM six forty dot com, slash Gary and Shannon, or anywhere you find your favorite podcast just search for Gary and Channa.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI a M six forty