Speaker 1: How'd you like to listen to dot NetRocks with no ads? Easy? Become a patron for just five dollars a month. You get access to a private RSS feed where all the shows have no ads. Twenty dollars a month. We'll get you that and a special dot NetRocks patron mug. Sign up now at Patreon dot dot NetRocks dot com. Hey guess what. It's dot net Rocks all over again. Nineteen hundred and fifty nine episodes so far. We'll figure it out one of these days. Yeah, one of these days we'll learn what we're doing. I'm Carl Franklin. That's Richard Campbell. What's up, buddy? Hey?
Speaker 2: Oh you know beautiful summer. We're recording this on Canada Day, July first, So oh yeah, I'm gonna make a couple of shows today and then I'm gonna head out and celebrate.
Speaker 1: Have some barbecue and some whiskey and all that stuff. That's it. It's a grilling day, drink some Canadian whiskey. Our friend Lemon is here, and as an honor to him, or tip my hat to Lemon, my better no framework has something to do with him. So roll the music all right, man, what do you got? There's the link right there that I just shared with you guys. This is the script from the cub pub Conf two talk that I did and beat lemon O, who is who is the projected winner of pubconf because he always wins? Yeah, well, between him and Randolph, you're in trouble. You know, those two are wicked funny. This one is all about vocal dyslexia. And you know vocal dyslexia. You can probably figure out what what it is, right speech, old garb backs, coming out, word words, that kind of stuff. There was a comedy routine that I stole some of this from, but a lot of it I wrote myself, and I wrote it as if it was real. And you know that this is a secret that I've been hiding from everybody and editing out and you know, retaking my dot net rocks shows all that stuff. And somebody came up to me afterwards and said, I'm so sorry that said for what it was a joke.
Speaker 2: Come on, but I sold it pretty well anyway, unless I sold it well enough that they're like, nope, no, we're rolling.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the link is to a script in PDF format and there you go as another joke. I had slides up that had the actual correct wording right, and so my script was you know, highlighted all of the puns, so it was it was effective. Enjoy.
Speaker 2: It's also out of self control on your part. I presume you did not look at the correct wording we're focusing on.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I went on. I went only on my script, but I had to check to see where I had to write little breaks in the script so I could advance the slides. Yeah, or maybe it was the slides automatically advanced every minute or so, was it forty seconds? Yeah, I can't you lemon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like night rules, so it would be a new slide every fifteen seconds.
Speaker 1: Yeah ah yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's the challenge that's anything harder in this world than a five minute bit, honestly, I know, because it's so tight hard right Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a way harder problem. And you know, give me, give me an hour any day of the week. I thought Yours Lemon was hilarious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was trying. I was trying to remember that one because that was when Todd thought that it would be a gift to essentially like write my deck for me. Yeah, and so I would have nothing to prepare to Yeah, exactly, not like I wouldn't so like so essentially, I would like before the show, you're riffing, before the show, I would like write up a script of like possible jokes of like Okay, well if he writes this deck, then I'm going to do this joke. And he writes this deck, I'm going to do this And it was just all Dolly created versions of me in different occupations.
Speaker 1: It was great. All right, Well enough of that. Who's talking to us today?
Speaker 2: Richard Campbell grabbed a comment of a show nineteen fifty three, the one we did with our friend Scott Hunter back at Build talking about coding agents, and I realized, like, we're kind of over the top on AI topics right now, like the past couple of months. But let's face it, this technology is emerging in a big way and then going fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got to tell you I've been hanging out with my friend Ken Tol's dad, which we'll drag back on the show sometimes soon. He's literally demonstrating using these tools to the point where in the meeting to outline the requirements for the project, he completed the project. Wow, I figured it was six weeks of coding done in a two hour meeting.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I think it's just astonishing and grinded. It depends on the project. There's lots of different elements to all of this, so the coding agent thing, you know, obviously relevant in our commentators Jeremy Hadten who said this was a fascinating episode that started to really show what the future of programming is going to look like. And yet the end result question on everyone's mind, not just technologies, is will I be out of a job in a year or two time work as a technologists and financial services and this question is also the top of mind for my business colleagues who respond to AI is often think instead of what great services you go to offer to customers if you had five assistants. Many of us have worked on long lived projects where the list of minor but customer annoying defects and future request just grows and grows. There's always more important things to do. Imagine a world where with the help of coding agents writing pullar quests, the list is actually reduced to zero. Maybe we'll have permanently delighted customers, permanently delighted.
Speaker 1: I do like that.
Speaker 2: Line, not like anybody's getting the bottom of the to do list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: The real question is what are the skills you need to focus on to be able to utilize these tools? Well, Like, it doesn't surprise me that a friend like Kent Doll's stat or any of us really because you can think through the whole problem and you're shepherding these tools of limited capability. Yeah, so these parts that it can code.
Speaker 1: And I still believe that unless you've done what the tool is doing and can spot things that it's doing wrong or that you don't want it to do particularly that way, and can correct it, Yeah, you're basing your whole career around something that may or may not serve you. Well, So I still think that you have to be a developer and you have to have experience to know what to correct. Yeah, yeah, I don't disagree.
Speaker 2: And certainly as soon as the complexity reaches a certain level, these tools tip over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in all of these things, you know, obviously, like you know, our hearts bleed for the juniors because you know, you need to have somebody get a foothold on those kinds things. And that's the first place that this thing is supposed to supplant except for like the thing that like with all of the doom saying and all of the and all of the like cataclysmic you know, earth shattering like AI stuff that I think people lose sight of. Is I remember living through the entire squarespace revolution.
Speaker 2: Sure, you know why I wouldn't even build a website again, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: And it's like nobody's going to hire somebody like me because they can do something in square space. It's like, yeah, no, you absolutely can. Like if you're a you know, a Thai restaurant, that is the right move. That's exactly what you should be doing. Word Press all that, Yeah, I mean that those those those really awful like word Press kind of like UI Builder things. Yeah, you know, eventually there's like gets hacked. So that's a thing, but like until that time, you'll have a site that like is slow but like probably works okay. And so that's that's a thing that we've lived through a bunch and the idea of doing like client service website for money things still exists because there is a level that that's not attainable at.
Speaker 2: Sure, are you really just being more productive you know, more of the same.
Speaker 1: And trusting too, Like a customer is going to trust an expert whether or not they use AI. If they use it, great, they're more productive rather than just going directly to an AI and trying it themselves, because that's risky.
Speaker 3: And you know, I've been in a lot of client meetings and like a lot of client meetings, and the idea of even just getting something that you can spec out for a coding agent to do, you know, like the average client like explaining their requirements is Labyrinthian and it's Brazil and so like.
Speaker 2: We get back to this idea of you you thought your job as a software developer was writing code.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I thought it was to develop software.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So the one thing I will say to the junior develop is before you write a line of code or ask the AI to write a line of code, you should consult with the AI given your spec to come up with an architecture and then get the buy off from your customer on that architecture before you do anything right, because that's going to be your limiting factor. You don't have experience to know what the architecture should be. You can get some ideas from AI but ultimately your customers. That's all I'm going to say for now, Richard, you can get back to the comment.
Speaker 2: All right, Jeremy, thank you so much for your comment. And a copy of music Coba is on its way to you. And if you'd like a copy musakobea, I write a comment on the website at dot NetRocks dot com or on the facebooks. We publish every show there and if you comment there and everybody in the show, send you copy of Musickoba.
Speaker 1: And Music to Cobey is still going strong, twenty two tracks. You can get the whole collection in MP three flak or wave format of Music to Code by dot net. All right, man, let's talk about what happened in nineteen fifty nine before we bring on Lemon. All right. Some significant events included the admission of Hawaii as the fiftieth state in the United States. Wow Yeah, the tragic plane crash known as the Day the Music Died, Buddy Holly Big Bopper, Ritchie Valens I believe for those three, and the launch of the first American satellite explorer seven. Additionally, it was a pivotal year for cultural and political changes, including the rise of Fidel Castro in Cuba, and the introduction of the Barbie doll. What do you got on your list? Richard?
Speaker 2: The IBM fourteen oh one, the first mass produced mainframe transistor based This is still before you know chips exists. They called it literally the model T of computers. Twelve thousand units sold over fifteen years or so, going out of production in seventy one.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Introduction of the first photocopier, the Xerox nine to fourteen plain paper copier. There were specially paper copiers before that, the transfer paper and stuff up by a plain paper copier. And my personal favorite, the lecture from Richard Feynman called There's plenty of Room at the bottom where he describes nanotechnology. Wow, Wow, that's Fineman.
Speaker 1: That's some stuff. Nineteen fifty nine. It's unbelievable. Yeah, okay, well, I guess we should introduce our guest Lemon that's his name, first name, last name, Yes, with a lifelong passion that you know what that joke is from? It was I Am Mork from the planet Orc. Is that your first name or last name? Yes? Robin Williams all right, with a lifelong passion for the weirdness of the Internet and a day job as a development lead for whoever hired him. Lemon spends his professional time making websites for money and his free time making websites for no money. I should have read this first. He's created a number of stupid things for the Internet, like the games over on kind of Fun, the wiki how guessing game, Damn Dog, the Google autocomplete game, idiots dot Win, and other things of questionable use. He also hosts a podcast that looks at some of the Internet's weirder subcultures. It's not safe for your work unless you work somewhere really cool. Welcome Lemon. Thanks, yeah, very cool.
Speaker 3: That's so great to talk to you guys.
Speaker 1: Good to have you on friend. Yeah. What's on your mind these days? Boy?
Speaker 3: A lot, a lot of the the idea of Because one of the things that Richard and I were talking about a little while ago is is that I think that the idea of the traditional web is coming back to like win a little bit more. I think that the sort of like movement towards like super weighty like spas is starting to move away, which means that which means that I think so, I think so, and that's because I'm really excited to tell a bunch of people that I was right.
Speaker 1: That's the important part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. But like you know, even like in the front ends world, like the the newest hotness is astro, and like an astro is cool, but like, but I do like that, like the thing that is the real exciting, new, brand new tech sort of deal is also something that is traditional server rendered like MPa, you know, index dot HTML pages. And I think that that's that's in my mind, a little bit of a return to sanity, which I think is great.
Speaker 1: Now this is a this is a great time to ask this question. Are you talking about sites for companies that their customers are b to B or internal applications, or are you talking about customer facing websites that are heavy on the client side.
Speaker 3: I think that I think that there's a little bit more of it happening when it is like, uh, you know, public or customer facing. The idea of when U URLs matter more, when when discoverability matters more, when open graph stuff matters more. That's where like MPAs do a better job.
Speaker 2: I'm just looking at the set of URLs we just had and thinking, look, how coolies are kind of dot fun and idiots dot win and damn dot dog and Astro dot build.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, there's so many. There's so many TLDs. I mean, there's like the idea of I mean, you know, like I try to every once in a while try to talk clients out of buying you know, the dot com or the dot org because you'll have to end up with something that's pretty lame. But if you do have literally like seven hundred like TLDs, you can probably find something really and like damn Dog, that one specifically was I saw the like dot dog was a valid tld and I was like, can I buy damn Dog? And it was like yeah, and it won't be that much and I was like okay, cool, and then I bought it and I was like okay, what goes here? Yeah, And so like the game that I built for that domain doesn't really relate to the name, no exactly, Like it doesn't like wiki how and damn Dog don't really have anything to do together. It was just like, well, I got this domain, I got this idea, let'swush them together.
Speaker 1: No, that okay, so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's there is an interesting wave I think people are tired of the megasites. Yeah, that that tooling's gotten so much better. Like I've had a whole conversation the other day about how could we build an Amazon that wasn't Amazon. That's just an interface to looking up all of the sites for products that you're looking for. And I'm like, aren't you talking about Google? It's like and it's not Google. It's like, okay, it's just the loathing of the tech giants that we've got. Is that what this is?
Speaker 3: I mean justify So I mean like I think that you know, Fang's done to a fair amount in the last couple of years to get some resentment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, a fair bit of that.
Speaker 2: And you know, again looking at the positive side of this AI wave in that we do have tools that could do or searching for us, I also wonder if we're you know, we're getting walked back to bare metal coding because same thing, the tools are really getting really good at doing vanilla JavaScript.
Speaker 3: Or doing vanilla JavaScript, which is the part that I never want to do, you know, So like like like one of the things is that like I've never like, okay, sure, like if you're writing code, the one thing that you're granted every once in a while, is you get to experience a flow state and that's great. Yeah, you're like where you're writing code and it feels good and then you're like an hour in it starts to feel terrific and like that's a lovely feeling. But like you can get that in a lot of different ways and genuinely, like the actual writing of code, syntax, indenting, semicolons, I don't like that at all. Like I've never been interested in that kind of thing, like all of those like internal like religious holy wars that people will have about like this this syntax versus this syntax. Like, boy, if we can agree on it, yeah, that's all that matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I got to tell you the past few weeks, I've spent a lot of time with a bunch of twenty something developers. They really don't care about languages, frameworks or any of those things. They are just trying to build solutions. We're here, we are, you know, concerned for the junior developer. I am not concerned about these guys. Yeah they would, they are. They are totally interested in solving solutions and with the stack they're use is the least interesting part of that.
Speaker 3: I love I love that. Yeah, like be omnivorous and you know, like do you like view or react? I don't know, Like whoever solves the problem.
Speaker 2: And the other side of this is because they can also deliver an MVP in a week or a couple of days. You know, when we were committing to nine months to the first you know, meaningful build, you could spend a few days talking about what stack to use. But if you're going to be done in a week, you shouldn't spend five minutes on it.
Speaker 1: Just go right.
Speaker 2: The longer debate, the slower you're going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And these things get to get cheaper because if you are able to build something with that sort of expediency to a certain extent, your QA is that your QA is the public launch. So like the plans that are the problems you thought you would have are actually proved out to be something different because now actual customers are using it.
Speaker 1: Hey, sorry, I was quiet for the last few minutes. I discovered a bug in our or a situation in our admin that we use in the back of house. You are the first guest that does not have a last name, and so my software was looking for a space to put it into first name and last name, and lo and behold you came up blank love it and the guests. So I had to actually pull up the database and do an update query and that's why I've been signed. So but I did enjoy your conversation.
Speaker 3: It's so funny you your yours is not the first database that I've broken with my last name?
Speaker 2: Or is it only a last name? When do you switch to a symbol? Because it worked for Prince?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, it didn't necessarily work great for Prince, like he did go back.
Speaker 1: You can't fill out a form on the internet. Yeah for example.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like nobody would say that, like symbol was the best period in Prince, Like I love Prince, I'm with you, but like, but you wouldn't say that like symbol time.
Speaker 2: That's what his best music was created, and that's when he was fighting the music industry and winning.
Speaker 1: Hm. That's right, that was really what that was about. The solo on while my Guitar Gently we stands out as one of his most spectacular performances.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so good, and you know you know the backstory to that.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, I know all about the song, But what in particular are you talking about.
Speaker 3: So it's it's uh, it's it's it's it was the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it's Eric Clapton, it's other guitar guys. I don't remember who else is in there.
Speaker 1: Jeff Lynn, jeff Lyn, Ok, yeah, Tom Petty Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so essentially, like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame put this this performance together and they cast it, and so you got these like guys that are sitting around and doing their guitar thing, and then Prince is there and they're like, what is what is the kiss guy doing here? Like this is what and like, and so they didn't want to hang out with him. They didn't they didn't think that he was on their level, and so he kind of like sulked in the corner and then went home on day one of the actual like rehearsals, and then and then that was it. That was that was that was the last thing that happened. So that actual performance was him showing up without any of them knowing, like getting on stage shredding their faces off for two minutes. And then he like hired a guy to like be in the rafters so that he when he threw his guitar up in the air, somebody would catch it.
Speaker 1: It just never came down. Yeah, And they never came down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then just like walked off on stage like, yeah, I'm legit and you just learned that.
Speaker 1: I don't want to get off on a rand about Prince. But it goes without saying that throughout his career he never put himself forward as the new Jimmy Hendrix, you know what I mean. He played guitar just like another part in a song, and a lot of times it was just rhythm. Of course, in Purple Rain he did some spectacular things, but other than that, you know, and who knows what that was people. I think he was trying to hide it, you know, from the public, just waiting for that moment that while my guitar gently weeps, moment to prove himself as a shred absolute shredder. Yeah. Yeah, I don't know. I could be totally wrong. Maybe I just didn't listen to enough Prince Real stuff. You know.
Speaker 2: It was then an air crafton line when they asked who's the best guitar? What it's like being the best guitarist, he said, I don't know, have to ask prints.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good. Probably he's also named like Hendrix and Almon and yeah, yeah, he was blown away by Jimmy Hendricks when he saw him the first time, as was everybody. Okay, the heck are we talking about here? We're talking about progressive web apps in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 2: Are we walking towards this? I wanted to talk about progressive webps just because we haven't talked about it in ages. Yeah, and the areas I can tell. The only thing people do with it is create an icon on a phone with.
Speaker 3: Them Yeah, yeah, which is which is something. It's really just something you know, you can you can check a box by doing that, and.
Speaker 1: That's Notifications are hard.
Speaker 3: Right, Notifications are hard, And a lot of times when in my mind when a client says to me, like we want a mobile app, what I actually hear them say is we want notifications. Like you don't actually want a mobile app, You just want to get push notifications to your customers. Like you when you say I have a restaurant and I need my restaurant to have a moment, Well, that's that's silly. We're actually saying as we want to sort of like push notifications onto our customers and like, and all of that architecture is still like you know, it's been in the PWA system for a while, and you can do it with all of the same you know, Twilio and all of those services will handle that just the same.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, that's not so much the notification itself. It's putting the little number red circle number on the icon on the phone. That is the stuff of legend. Like in Android, it's a little easier to do in iOS. You have to have a Firebase account and of this and a that and services and all that. And in a PWA, I thought it was not allowed by iOS. Last time I checked, you couldn't do it. But it's been a while since I've done a PNWA, so.
Speaker 3: You know, interestingly, you're actually now up against a point of ignorance for me, because I don't know if you get the little if you get the little dot uh on on a p W A, I bet you don't. Yeah, but I don't. I don't know that for a fact. Somebody would have to fact check me on that.
Speaker 1: I I kind of think that, and I've said this before that Apple would rather you put an app in the App Store.
Speaker 2: Than every time, you know, they resisted. P w A is the longest, but they also support them and.
Speaker 1: They so it makes sense for them to sort of cripple if you will, or not allow certain things that real apps.
Speaker 3: Have, and they still have you know. That's that's uh. There's some things that are available in Android that aren't in iOS right now. One of them is you don't get gyro in a p w A. You can get it on an Android, but if you want to, for example, tell.
Speaker 1: Us what that is, like like like oh gyroscope.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, I like it, like if I want to. And this actually came up not that long ago where we were working on something where we wanted to know if your phone was on its screen or on its back right, And we did that and it actually was totally fine on Android, didn't work at all on iOS, so we had to kind of like reconfigure how that thing worked. The other thing is they will never give you NFC. You don't get that that's for Apple pay on get Out.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did just look it up and yes, a p w A app running on Android will dot uh for notifications Oh okay, and it won't on it won't on iOS unless you use the badging API as well.
Speaker 3: So you still could then you can, but you just have to do all right, Well, that's that's something that's not terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's something. And does JavaScript have access just once again it's if iPhone or if if Safari, right, does JavaScript have access to the gyroscope? Yeah it does, Yeah you can use you still couldn't use it.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah you can do it. It's just that it just that your iOS device will never ask for permission nor grant it, so all of that stuff be ignored.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are the other gotchaes about PWA's that we're not talking about.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I think some of the other gotchas are like the you know, like the idea of people saying like I want it in the app store is an actual demand. I think that that's a complicated thing because I think that like being in the app store is yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Be careful what you ask for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right right, you're you're you're you're slicing your cake a little bit, because I don't think that like, you know, there there was a time when there was there was a time when people were using those app stores for discovery, and I don't think that's the case anymore.
Speaker 2: No, once you have a million apps, you can't find anything anyway, and you're mostly worried about is this the app I'm actually looking for?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I tend not to go you know when I When I buy a product that requires an app to use it, probably typically a smart home product of some kind. The one thing I don't do is go to the place store to look for the app, because I'll get the wrong one.
Speaker 1: Initially, give you a a QR code or or if it's just a name, they'll show you the icon so you can at least tell it from all the other fakies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're gonna, if you're gonna encourage people to go to the play store, give them lots of evidence of this is.
Speaker 1: The correct app.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, this is.
Speaker 2: The name of the company, this is the icon. It just speaks to how messed up app stores are that. Yeah, we don't trust them for a reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Spring brings you back to the U r L thing, Right, somebody searching for the dot com completely unnecessary if you have a QR code and.
Speaker 3: Then the other sort of uh, what do you want to say, like challenge to the thing is that in order to do like in order to do kind of like anything beyond Baby's first pw A, you have to do things with service workers. Yeah, and a service worker is a complicated thing to get started in because because you're doing cashing. Now you're doing cashing for a thing that catches, and that's complix. Yes, yes it is, because if you screw it up and you get that into you know, the actual like public, and you didn't write your service worker right, well, now they've got a thing that's going to be locked in time forever. So you know, doing that first version of your service worker before you get out to the public, making sure that that's pretty rock solid and you can do cash in validation is important.
Speaker 1: Very good. I did a PWA version of I think it was either Music to Code Buy or something like that on the dot net Rock Show or maybe I can't remember what it was, but I have it out there and it was it was pretty good. There's you know, dealing with the cashed data was obviously an issue. And if you ever have to, I know that sometimes if the cash gets busted or something broke, then you just like put a question mark at the end of the RL and some entropy data. But I don't recall it being a deal breaker for the PW. I have a PWA right now that I use in the house, and I have a on my mantle. Richard knows this. On my mantle, I've got a big screen with a WPF that WPF app that randomly shows pictures for thirty seconds at a time, And I basically have an app that goes to a signal our hub that's also in the WPF app with a local DNS. Okay, you know. It's a progressive web app and it shows the thing and I can advance next previous, I can turn on captions like I can do all sorts of things from it. And it's very handy and I didn't have to go to the app store. I just gave my wife the URL and she installed it and I installed it, and that's it. It's like a remote.
Speaker 3: That's that's very fun. It seems like unnecessary over engineering, but I love it totally.
Speaker 2: Have you met Carl Franklin coming out totally signal He's going to use signal?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's totally for the fun of it. Projects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again, you could have been a QR code right to just generate it like that.
Speaker 1: Now I would yeah, I wrote it before QR codes or a thing. But uh yeah, just because they don't make remote controls that I can use with my app. Yeah yeah, they probably do actually, but I didn't want to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you wanted to use signal.
Speaker 1: R absolutely in a progressive way.
Speaker 2: Well, and of course my instinct as a developers to say, isn't there a framework I can use? But it's like every framework does p w A stuff, doesn't it. Yeah, yeah, it's not necessarily there's any p w A frameworks per se as there is a bunch of frameworks and they leverage the pw A library.
Speaker 3: I can run into that sometimes, where like I've seen people use because like a lot a lot of the other frameworks, you know, your VET and your like webpack and roll up or whatever will essentially have like a p to BA starter kit. But I always found that weird because it's, like you, the idea of a progressive web app is that it is progressive, like you're you're making a website and then you're adding features like condiments. Yeah, so the idea of well, let's get every single capability in here. Okay, do you need it?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Where do you go? What are you going for like it's a website, add stuff as you need it.
Speaker 1: Start with the basics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and I think I opened with the it's just about putting an icon on the phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, this seems like a good place for a break. So we'll be right back after these very important messages. And as a reminder, if you don't want to hear these messages, you can become a patron for five bucks a months. You'll get a feed for dot net rocks that has no ads. We'll be right back. Did you know you can lift and shift your dot Net framework apps to virtual machines in the cloud. Use the elastic beanstalk service to easily migrate to Amazon EC two with little or no changes. Find out more at aws dot Amazon dot com, slash Elastic beanstalk. And we're back. It's dot net rocks. I'm Carl Franklin, non Richard Cabell, and that's our buddy Lemon and we're talking about PWA's and AI and whatever other weird stuff he wants to talk about. So the floor is open. You got some more weird stuff you want to talk about with PWA or not?
Speaker 3: Oh man ah, you know, I actually one of the things that that I'm hoping to cause I don't know if you know, I don't know if you know when this episode's coming.
Speaker 2: Out wed July seventeenth.
Speaker 3: July seventeenth, Okay, all right, well that's going to be my deadline then, because I actually, like I have this little I don't want to say arcade, but like essentially like the kind of fun thing which is just a bunch of like dumb little games and like games no, no, no, no, like little web games. Okay, that's that's actually a main cabinet right back there.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but uh but yeah, so I actually re engineered this thing from scratch because I was originally using uh, web sockets and so because I wanted to make a multiplayer game and proof that I could make a multiplayer game, and so I did the whole thing with web sockets, but it broke all the time, and so like people would want to do these, like like I made these. This one game called Invalid, which is the slogan for it was a trivia game of unnecessary suffering. And the game works. The game works well except for like, man, did that thing crash?
Speaker 1: Does it happen much? Buzzer though, that's that's the thing it does.
Speaker 3: It has it has a flying pig. Yeah, and then there's a hacking mini game at the end.
Speaker 1: Nice. So congratulations, pigs are flying, You've done it kind of thing.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, you know you can essentially, you can distract one of the players by putting a flying pig on their screen, and then the flying pig just gives you useless facts. Distract you. That's from the thing that you're actually trying to do, and it goes and every time it gives a new fact, it goes like it oints, you know. But anyway, Yeah, so I had built this, I had built this this thing out and it was doing. It was doing just kind of like a problem because of this this web socket thing. So I actually did the whole thing again in fire Base because I knew that that you know, at that point, like disconnections and the reconnections were less relevant.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so then the new one that I will be launching with that is a game called this Meeting has points nice. And so the idea is that you're going to be in a meeting with your coworkers and it's going to be boring and it's going to last an hour and a half and several of the people there won't pay attention. So therefore, when you get into the meeting, you all join this lobby at the same time. And when the meeting starts, it flips over five cards, right, and so it'll be like alligator suitcase ten points, like let's take the bull by the horn five points or whatever. And so you get these phrases, and so your goal is you want to slip one of these phrases into the meeting without anybody knowing. And so you say the phrase, you click on the card, and then a little timer goes by, and if that timer elapses, then cool. You get the points. However, if somebody catches you, they can type in the phrase and then they steal your points from you. So the two ways to play or either just try to spam it out or just don't like, just sit back and just pay attention.
Speaker 1: Right. Have you ever been threatened with getting fired because I'm just curious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been. I've been threatened to get fired for a lot of reasons.
Speaker 1: How I distracted everyone from the content of the meeting.
Speaker 2: In one easy I would argue that I'm encouraging your coworkers to pay more attention and meetings.
Speaker 3: You know, they in order to play the game, well, you have to pay more more close attention. So this is a productivity tool. If anything, I'm going to sell it to it. Lancian, I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. I do you know?
Speaker 2: Talking about games, you mentioned jack Box TV, which was big in the during the pandemic. Oh, is that what you talk about? A great web client? Anybody's ever played one of these? It's like one of you has to own the Jackbox game. It's multiplayer, and then you're on a streaming zoom or a team's not teams, I mean you're on one of those, and then that hosts the game and then all the players play from their phone. But you don't need you know, it's at works so well. Yeah, that people forget the magic that's going on there.
Speaker 3: And they and they had i mean a couple of things lined out, you know, to their benefit, right, Like like Jackbox was cresting at the exact time of you know, pandemic, and so everyone was playing jack Box, which just happened. But like, but that's because they were ready for it. Like they built something that's really stable, they built something that would work in person, but it would also like work in any kind of environment. You could play it on, you can play it from anywhere, and and it like their growth was because they built something really really strong, so that when they had it wasn't like this thing where like, oh no, your thing's really popular and now it crashes and now it stinks.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I don't know that it ever tipped over ever.
Speaker 3: And they didn't. And they didn't even like you know, I mean, they kept their same model, which is like we're gonna have a pack of five games, and we're going to just keep selling these like different packs of five games. But always worked on this idea of like there's going to be one host and however many players, like a hundred players, Sure.
Speaker 2: Whatever, there's one there's one game that supports like one hundred players. So I've used that one for like a team meeting where there was thirty something people and you could yeah, fire. And this was part of the fun of doing this, was like, hey, we're gonna get to some serious stuff, but let's play a game for twenty minutes first while everybody's getting in, you know, rather than just sitting around.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And they finally, finally finally made something that it's a little hacky, but like I have enough of those Jackbox packs now that like there's a thing called like the jack Box Launcher, right, so essentially like you bring up a thing and it has every game that you own, and then when you click on the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because there's like nine now, like I'm always hunting for a particular game and I never remember which.
Speaker 3: Pack it's really yeah yeah yeah, yeah, sorry commercial.
Speaker 1: I can't say that I ever played it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that did the you talk about a perfect plua. Like you go to a web you go to I think it's Jackbox TV, Slash whatever code it is for the game you're playing. It's generated on the spot. It drops into a chrome less browser like it's just and it is so seamless you never remember.
Speaker 1: It's a web page.
Speaker 2: You just it is exactly whatever he developer should aspire to wow in a client.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it works really simple, and because it is just like you go to this Jackbox TV. You don't have like I remember playing like Space Team, which is fun, but like but in order to play that with friends, there's like four minutes of like, oh, you have to go to this thing and download this thing and then okay, we have to like whatever, Like, no, you go to this u ur l, you punched in this code. You know my my eighty three year old father like can do it and has.
Speaker 2: Can get a comp Yeah, and doesn't matter what phone you have or you're using a tablet or a second screen on the PC, like you name it, all of it.
Speaker 1: All of those scenarios just worked.
Speaker 3: The one thing that it took them too long to figure out, though, is and is it took them too long to understand that as a PWA, you actually do have access to weight control, right, because if you're playing jack Box, a time can go by where you're just not touching your phone, sure for a while. Yeah, and so you know, my my thing goes to sleep pretty fast, and so sometimes you would be like using the thing and then it would go to sleep, and then you would like turn your phone back on and maybe it lost connection. You have to like reconnect or whatever. Yeah, And eventually they got on top of that, but like it did take them a while where it was like.
Speaker 2: And it's something that PWA's can't do to say, hey, can you do?
Speaker 1: I don't want you to go to.
Speaker 3: Sleep as long as you are properly installed. You can't just do that from being a website. But as long as you are installed, then you can get you can request for and receive permission to control wake access to basically be like, as long as my app is the one that is in focus, override these sleep controls.
Speaker 2: Okay, And it just seemed its interesting to think go through the power of getting you know, get past the icon and get into these other capabilities, like you can do quite a bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like like like the idea of like even like one thing that I always found pretty useful is just that like native sharing, to be able to say like I've got my little blob or I've got my text snippet or I've got my whatever, and I don't know what you have installed in your machine, but if you do have Telegram, you can click on this and then it's like you want to share that via Telegram because there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think Jackbox even did that, like you could take a screenshot off off the game from your phone and fire it up.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, they they did. They did things where and this was this was later on, but they did the thing where when you finish the game, you got like little and so it would like create like animated gifts of like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they gave out awards right for worst player and how kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly and so and so you know, we're able to do a thing where you can I don't want to say the T word, but you know you could. You could post the thing on blue Sky, right and uh, you know that's that's smart for them. I don't know how many people took advantage of it, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's cool, absolutely all right. Should we change gears a bit?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I appreciate the sort of scope on that, and I do like PW PWA Builder, Like for folks who are still trying to find their way through some of these things are our tools that can help.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 2: Don't expect anybody isn't using PWA. All of these frameworks use it to some degree. It's just a built in service. It's great with Blazer web assembly perhaps. Yeah, yeah, that's how I build mine. Sure, it's a nice template in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that PWA builder is at least a very good first step where like it'll give you your first man and your first service worker. You know, that's probably not the one you're going to go with, but like be the one to start with at.
Speaker 2: Least get a feel for something what you're experimenting with. All right, I want to talk about some of these apps you build, these games and other as you co refer to them, stupid websites. Yeah, are they just experiments in software development for you?
Speaker 3: They're bulls. I think there's there's two things that have to come together in order for one of these things to get off the ground. Actually a third thing is that it has to be interesting until the end. But like there's got to be some sort of idea. For example, Like one that I've abandoned more than once was like bop it the website You know what to bop it is?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Little now?
Speaker 1: What is that now?
Speaker 3: So it's a little plastic piece of crap that they'll sell it, you know, Walmart or whatever. And and it's got like a little switch and a knob and a turney thing and a button or whatever. And then when you start the game, it goes like bop it persia. And then like you have these like actions that you're supposed to do and it and so you you know, you're supposed to do the right action under a time limit.
Speaker 1: So since the tariffs, the price has gone from ninety nine cents to ninety nine dollars, right.
Speaker 3: I would assume, So yeah, yeah, So my idea was to do something where like you go to a site that is bad I sort of modeled after ABC News, and the very first thing that happens is that it pulls up like a GDPR banner and it goes dismiss it, and then like, uh, like a you have you have a time limit to dismiss it. And then once you do it, then it says like follow us on Instagram, like a little modal comes up close it, and so it just so it's trying to give you a task to solve, but while you're doing it, you're like it keeps annoying you and and you lose points every millisecond that this annoyance happens. So anyway, I was building this thing, and I was like, ah, you know, this is a cool idea, but it's so big on scope and and it's a little hard to like to let people understand like whether where the fun is and so just trying to figure out like that thing where like it's like it's it's immediately cognizably fun, like the one that I did with the there's one that I made where you have to like rank different celebrities based on their cameo values, like how how expensive is this person on cameo and and so so essentially, I want to have an idea that like that is sticky and that I can kind of like get in and get out pretty easy. Hopefully it takes like four minutes to play. And then the other thing that I wanted to do is something where there's something I haven't done here before. There's some sort of you know, like new interface element or or like new piece of technology that's just unfamiliar to me, so that I can like use this in a safe space to be like, if it doesn't work, who cares? And if it does work, then I've learned how to do that thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. How many of these things do you have?
Speaker 3: Conservatively? About a dozen? Okay, yeah, let's say a dozen.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm stuck on the not poutine side.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, okay, gonna tell you that's nottine.
Speaker 3: I was watching. I don't know if you've watched Top Chef at all?
Speaker 1: Sure? Oh yeah, Top Chef Canada is the latest one.
Speaker 3: Dude, Yes, exactly so they were just in Canada and they were like, hey, chefs, uh, you're all gonna be doing like a poutine challenge. And I'm like, oh no, don't make them do that. And like like one guy like did like a like a like a like a scale in pancakes and a burnet sauce.
Speaker 1: I know, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I was like, this is unacceptable.
Speaker 1: So so yeah, like you know what that's like, that's like taking a Prince solo and just and and instead of playing it no for note, making up your own stuff. That's what it's like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's it's an infuriated like like the idea of poutine has three three ingredients that must be observed, and at that point you want to throw pork belly on it.
Speaker 1: I know, Okay, go ahead, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Like you wanna, yeah, you want to throw some scallions in there? Cool, whatever, But like French fries, fresh cheese curds, do not fry them.
Speaker 5: Squeaky cheese curds, squeaky cheese curds, squeaky cheese, And then you need some and then you need brown gravy, yes, and and so so this the whole thing was like, was just this collection, and some of them very much are Canadian places that are servingdes that.
Speaker 3: Purport to be uh poutine but aren't.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean love it. You can go back and forth on the tater tots or tater tots fries.
Speaker 1: I would let that slide, you would, Yeah, I would, because it's still fried potatoes. It's still fried, but just in a different shape.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Like, okay, well, okay, but where is where is too far?
Speaker 1: Then? Like is where's the line? I wouldn't substitute broccoli?
Speaker 3: Are you accepting home fries?
Speaker 1: No? Because home fries. Home fries is kind of like a oh yeah, home fries is potatoes and onions and all that stuff like mashed up in a mush. Right? Where are different? Are are our single units that you can pick up with a fork instead of scooping up and whatever? Hash browns are the are the opposite of home fries. Those are the crispy patterns of potatoes. I don't know as if I would do that either, because now you have to cut it right. I mean, the whole idea of a poutin is you could stab it with a fork and put it in your mouth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it is cheap, but you know there's a great stretch between it's tough to difn a difference a potater tot and a roasty.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what a roasty is.
Speaker 2: What's that they think you're describing as a hash brown?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay? Hash brown?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a roasty okay, but you know the main thing is the crispy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And to be clear, we're arguing over food you eat while drunk in Montreal, right, like absolutely?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Like like has every has every poucine that I've ever eaten been delicious? Yes?
Speaker 1: But that's because yes it was. I was I qualified to a set at the time. No, yeah, if it was broccoli and Berne's sauce.
Speaker 3: Like every every donor I've ever eaten is great, and I don't think I've ever eaten a donor before midnight.
Speaker 1: I don't know what a donor is. You guys got to educate me here, like a kebab or a like d O N N E R that kind of thing c O N They are Yeah, yeah, they are all right.
Speaker 2: The varying the name, the spelling exactly got it. The drunk food you ate in Stockholm after midnight or anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here we have we don't have those, you know, twenty four hour diners around where I live anymore. There. Your only choices are Taco Bell and McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Popeyes. That's it. Late nights.
Speaker 3: It's just I remember, like I remember at one point that's however, many of us and we're in Oslo and we go to this donor place, eat donor. It's wonderful. Uh. Then we continue to go out drinking. We go back, and then as we're on our way back to the hotel, it's like, let's get donor again. Yeah, of course the donor place that we went to is closed, but there's a donor place right next to it, like literally next door that is open. And it was worse, but like you know, it's still.
Speaker 1: Don't I know which places you're talking exactly. It's rich and rich and I have been there.
Speaker 3: And like we're talking to him at one point and it's like he's like the guy was like, yeah, we open at one because we found out these knuckleheads like close at one, like you're leaving money on the table.
Speaker 1: People don't go to bed at one in Oslo.
Speaker 3: Exactly on Saturday night.
Speaker 1: It's just a mistake. When are you thinking, what was the best your best pub comp talk in your opinion?
Speaker 3: Oh man, So this requires a slight backstory. I'll try to. I'll try to, I'll try to speed through it. But I'm doing NBC Minnesota. And and I had this idea, and I had this really ambitious talk that I was going to do, and I was terrible, legitimately terrible, like just a bad talk, Like insofar as like you know, how there's there's for those who don't know that there's NDC will do a thing where they have like red and yellow and green cards, so like people will score like how well you did? And so as I'm sort of collecting my things at the end of the talk, and I know, I know this didn't go well.
Speaker 1: This isn't a PUBCNS talk. This is a regular talk.
Speaker 3: No, this is NDC.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: And and as I'm sort of collecting my things and sort of, you know, being shell shocked, one of the volunteers walks up to me. He's collected all the cards, and he goes that, do you not want to know how you did? And I'm like what, and he goes, you.
Speaker 1: Did bad, and he holds up a stack of red cards.
Speaker 3: Right, thanks for looking out, But I appreciate that. So I I mean, yeah, so I you know, I'm in Saint Paul, which is close enough to my home that I don't have a hotel, but far enough away that like in order to get back and come back would be inconvenient. Yeah, And so I just like spend you know, several hours like having a panic attack, and then but I need to do a pubcom talk after that, and and so I'm just you know, sort of like in a weird place. And and and as it's starting off, I'm like still in a weird place. And then the moment I get handed the microphone to do my five minutes, like I was just like, okay, yep, I absolutely have this. I I yep, this is I'm going to kill these people for five minutes. And so I did this talk about how to please your VP by hating your user, and it was just like it was just like what if every suggestion that your VP made you just did. And so we started we show a website and then the website just gets worse and worse because like I keep saying yes to him, you know when he kind of like points at the screen. I'm like, yep, absolutely boss right, and uh yeah, and so that went so good, like so so good.
Speaker 1: Honestly one I did.
Speaker 3: I did win. Yeah, but I'm like, I'm not I'm not exaggerating that. Like people were literally chanting my name.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow.
Speaker 3: There was a point where John Mills in the final So this the the you do the sort of your prepared version of then you do a version that's not prepared. And so there was a there was a point where I do my final performance and then after me is John Mills, and like he does a joke and it lands pretty good. He loves a joke and it lands not quite as good, and he goes, listen, folks, I'm just trying to get in second here. Okay, we just let me.
Speaker 1: Get in here. This is gonna go. You know, something just occurred to me. You you have a you're a doppel ganger of Michael Keaton? Am I wrong? Has anybody ever said you look like Michael Keaton? I've never heard that. I mean before Beetlejuice.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, before both Beatle Juice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, when he was younger, right, Okay, you look like a young version of Michael Keat's the eyebrows, I think.
Speaker 3: All right, I mean I'm gonna I've never heard that really, so no, yeah, yeah, I got I got for years and years, I got Jack White a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay, but yeah.
Speaker 3: He started to kind of start to look like Ho Chi minh.
Speaker 1: And sorry, yeah he went through different looks. Yeah. Yeah, Well anyway, let mean, it's been a pleasure talking to you and hanging out. I wish we could do it all the time. You know, I'm available, Let's do it and for longer. And I know our listeners really loved it. So thank you, oh, thank you both. All right, and we'll talk to you next time on dot rocks dot net. Rocks is brought to you by Franklin's Net and produced by Pop Studios, a full service audio, video and post production facility located physically in New London, Connecticut, and of course in the cloud online at pwop dot com.
Speaker 6: Visit our website at d O T N E t R O c k S dot com for RSS feeds, downloads, mobile apps, comments, and access to the full archives going back to show number one, recorded in September two thousand and two, and make sure you check out our sponsors.
Speaker 1: They keep us in business. Now go write some code, See you next time.
Speaker 5: Chapters Middle Vans Day
Speaker 1: A summer time that mess hard than my taxes in line