Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KF I am six forty.
Speaker 2: Obama was the only president I've ever seen with his shirt off.
Speaker 3: Oh no, JFK, JFK.
Speaker 4: There's a picture of him in Santa Monica Beach and he was a hard body. JFK had a great figure I got when I saw him. You are right, but okay, there's something all right? Why don't we Why don't we stop right there?
Speaker 3: Okay? Kno gave me the look. Oh God, And now handle on the news.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen. Here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 3: Good morning, everybody. Bill Handle here and the morning crew.
Speaker 4: It is a Tuesday morning, April fifteenth tax day except for the people in Orange County, excuse me, in La County.
Speaker 3: And you want to war now I know La County.
Speaker 4: It is not tax day because of the fires, and the IRS has said that you if you owe taxes April fifteenth, that can be extended to October fifteenth dealing with the fires.
Speaker 3: And it's not just where you live.
Speaker 4: It may be where your accountant lives. It could be where your business is. They're being pretty broad in their interpretation of being in and around La County.
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 4: But for everybody else Orange County, Ventura County, Inland Empire, it's you gotta have to pay taxes today. I think it's La County or is at La City? I think it's La County, La County.
Speaker 3: Okay, So are you do? You usually filed by April fifteenth, by the way, Amy.
Speaker 5: I usually do, and I got my taxes done on Sunday, but I didn't file them yet.
Speaker 4: I'm assuming you're paying virtually no tax is because you work here at iHeart and you just don't pay enough make enough money to pay taxes.
Speaker 5: You would think. But I've been talking to people around the office, and you know what you just said is probably true.
Speaker 6: A lot of people owe taxes.
Speaker 4: Because it adds up. It gets cumulative. So let's say you start ten years ago or five years ago. Let's say and you owe five dollars in taxes. Between penalties and interest, five dollars becomes two and a half million dollars in three years.
Speaker 3: The irs is very very tough.
Speaker 4: Okay, good morning, Amy, Hi Neil.
Speaker 2: Taxes, Oh we've done them long time ago.
Speaker 3: Oh you're done.
Speaker 2: People have businesses.
Speaker 1: My wife's got corporation and stuff, so we pay all the time. Okay, but yeah, you've got to eat. The best way to do your taxes is so you're even you don't know, they don't true. That's the best. If you can hit that sweet spot.
Speaker 4: That's a little Yeah, it's a little complicated because you have to guess exemptions. If you're a W two employee, you have to guess you know, how many exemptions you put in there.
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 4: The best way is to not owe anything to the IRS and not get a refund from the IRS. Although everybody loves refunds. It is forced savings for a lot of people. But you get no interest on the money. Although if you owe the IRS, you get you pay interest.
Speaker 3: Will taxes? Are you done?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, So you're going to extend and you're LA County right, I'll be using that extension, yes, okay, and and all done? All done? Okay, fair enough, and cone.
Speaker 2: The type that's up and off that and cono.
Speaker 4: Do you know what, people that live under the poverty line don't even file taxes. So when was the last time you actually filed an income tax?
Speaker 2: Income Tax Form twenty sixteen, excellent, And.
Speaker 3: That's when you were hired by iHeart. I got it.
Speaker 4: Okay, guys, a lot going on today as always, so let's just jump in and do it. Starting with Handle on the news, Neil and Amy and me lead story.
Speaker 6: Now I'm never coming back.
Speaker 4: El Salvadorian President Naib. Now Amy helped me with this, is it bukle boukel?
Speaker 3: How do you pronounce his name?
Speaker 2: Old?
Speaker 6: Please?
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 5: I had that in a story this morning and we didn't have a pronouncer, and I went, I'm not even trying that one, but I can find it for you because.
Speaker 6: Are okay, I'll get.
Speaker 4: It, Thank you, El Salvadorian President Naib. Whatever the hell you pronounce his name? We'll find out in a minute. Was in a meeting at at the White House, the Oval Office meeting, you know, where the president sits with whoever head of stayed or whoever visiting him. And they're in front of the fireplace in those two chairs, and they bring in the reporters and their reporters are always crammed in there. It's a small room and they have like two dozen reporters jowl to jowl, cheek to jowl or whatever they call it. And of course the question came up instantly about that El Salvadorian migrant who was here and was he was under asylum. He was waiting for asylum hearing, and so he was here legally he was deported. The government said we made a mistake. We shouldn't have deported him. And the Supreme Court said the government has to facilitate. Our government has to facilitate bringing him back. Well, the government isn't doing much even though.
Speaker 3: The court ordered it. He said. When he was asked about returning him, he goes, I'm not going to do it. I can't do it. What I'm going to bring a terrorist and shipping back? What am I to do? And so and he said it was preposterous.
Speaker 4: The question, so this is getting to be a lot of funds, much bigger than one guy going to this President El Salvador.
Speaker 6: It's President naib Bal.
Speaker 1: Bucalay okay Bube. So why is the guy so controversial if he's innocent.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't understand why he's controversial.
Speaker 1: What the whture question is like is if he's a bad guy, why is everybody concerned?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, first of all, the government is saying he's a bad guy. The court said there was no evidence that was produced that he is a member of the MS thirteen gang.
Speaker 6: No, the court did.
Speaker 5: Say that they thought he was, but that there was threat back in l Salvador, so they allowed him to stay. Remember that was like in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but in this case under the deportation when it came up this order that the government was ordering to facilitate. My understanding amy is that the government argued he's a member of MS thirteen. The court said, you don't have any evidence, and you did illegally deport him. He was here legally, you deported him, and you even admitted you were wrong.
Speaker 6: He's here illegally though.
Speaker 3: No, No, yeah, I think he was under an asylum order. You're going to look that up. Let's get our watch trade on this right now.
Speaker 1: You may be right not to be wrong, But why is it asylum if you're seeking asylum from you being a criminal in another country?
Speaker 3: No, you're not. He has no he is not being charged in another country.
Speaker 4: There is no criminal There are no criminal charges against him, either in El Salvador or the United States, and he has no criminal record.
Speaker 2: And he was just holm a terrorist.
Speaker 3: I'd like to know that.
Speaker 5: Okay, this is what Wikipedia says about this guy. Aburygo Garcia illegally immigrated to the US in twenty eleven when he was sixteen. Ed lived and worked in the country legally since twenty nineteen, when an immigration judge granted him withholding of removal status because it said, even though he may have been part of MS thirteen, there was a risk if he went back, right, and that was.
Speaker 3: The risk persecution if you go back.
Speaker 4: The government United States will allow you to stay if you argue that if you go back persecuted for being gay or having political views, or it's so dangerous, by the way, that's an asylum, a form of asylum that you can stay here.
Speaker 6: So he came here illegally and.
Speaker 4: Then he granted legal status. Then he was granted legal status to stay here, and they deported him, and the government said we deported him wrongly, and he went to court or his people went to court and argued that it was illegal and mandated that he'd be brought back. The government said, no, thank you, we're not going to do it. The court then ordered the government at the Supreme Court, now we went up there very quickly to facilitate him coming back. And the US government said no, ignoring the court order and the government of El Salvador, with the president Naib Bucalay saying.
Speaker 3: It's a Propostero's question. I'm not going to bring him back. He's in this prison. That's insane. Have you seen the videos of guys in prison there, how brutal they're treated anyway, all right, so much for that. I think we got it trained out. Maybe not. I have no idea.
Speaker 4: There's a lot to this story, there is, yeah, And we try to stay away from stories that there is a lot too.
Speaker 3: We like really simple up down sideways.
Speaker 4: No, yes, Amy, making a run, go ahead, No, no, this one should have been cut off.
Speaker 6: Making a run for the border.
Speaker 5: There's a long sliver of federal land along the US Mexico border that President Trump has turned over to the Department of Defense to be controlled by the US Army that would and could allow troops to detain anyone crossing the border illegally. The transfer of the border zone to military control is apparently an attempt by the administration to get around that federal law that prohibits US troops from being used in domestic law enforcement on American soil.
Speaker 4: But if it's a if it's an army base, and you can do along the border, and it's a real thin one just along the border of a couple of miles there goes all the way across. Hey, they can do whatever they la want on an army base. Detain, not detain, ar rescue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so okay, very clever.
Speaker 1: Mostly because he couldn't put up the wall, he put up defense.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, team all right Israel.
Speaker 1: Israeli troops have taken over about a third of the Gaza Strip in renewed military action. They've declared these security zone swaths of the north and the south, and obviously while doing this, they're pushing out their populations as part of a new strategy to wretchet up pressure on Hamas. So they relied early on in airstrikes, tactical raids we saw the first year and a half of war. That was their focus. Now they're just taking up land. Yeah, they're just taking definitely and.
Speaker 3: As bad yeah, as bad as what Israel is doing. And it is horrific. I mean, there's no question about it.
Speaker 4: Civilians are being killed left and right, and the homes and businesses and buildings destroyed. At what point does Hamas give up the hostages. Does Hamas wait until every single building in Gaza is destroyed and will not give up the hostages? And Israel and they're negotiating with Netanyahu. I mean, this is not an Israeli government that is willing to release two thousand prisoners for just a couple They're saying we Israel saying we want our hostages, and if you don't, We're going to go balls to the wall. Israel's going to be a Paria nation because it's going to wipe out the Ga, Gazanians, Palestinians and Gaza. And Hamas doesn't care, doesn't care. They're going to hold on. They're going to hold on to those hostages, come hell or high water. And then when there's nothing left of Gaza and only Habbas exists.
Speaker 3: And they're living in tunnels.
Speaker 4: What was that great film where the not the Ewoks lived in tunnels? But it was the Orson Wells, not Orson Wells. The No, it wasn't Orson Wells.
Speaker 2: It was Oh god, it wasn't Snoopy.
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't Snoopy.
Speaker 4: It was that film they went the time machine, went into the future and it was based in Victorian years.
Speaker 2: And H. G.
Speaker 3: Wells. Yeah, time machine, time machine, yeah that one. Yeah. Where they lived in tunnels?
Speaker 4: Yeah, where the e walkies or whatever thell they called them live in tunnels, Okay, or lived underground.
Speaker 3: Okay, We're gonna move on because that made no sense. Well it did in kind of a weird way, but all right.
Speaker 5: About to be made in the US A Honda it says it's looking to switch some of its car production from Mexico and from Canada to the US. They say that the goal would be ninety percent of cars sold in the US would be made locally. Of course, in response to Trump's new tariffs, the twenty five percent levy on imported vehicles plans to increase US vehicle production by as much as thirty percent over the next two to three years.
Speaker 4: I have a question, and this is exactly what Trump wants, and this is well, if it happens within the next couple of years, it's a win. Now, the question becomes, are they going to build new factories? Are they going to use factories that are no longer being used? And there it becomes much easier, of course.
Speaker 2: To we have factories in Detroit and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, oh, there are factories that are no longer in use. Yeah, Yeah, they're empty shells. Yeah, because production has gone overseas so much. And so that's what Honda's saying.
Speaker 2: And we'll see.
Speaker 4: Now, I don't know how many people work in those plants. I mean, he used to be thousands of people would work three shifts, and I don't know. Typically what's something to look up typically in a car manufacturing Honda, Typically how many people work at a Honda assembly plant?
Speaker 3: And I don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 4: It's probably what a couple of thousand, two, three thousand, I don't know, but as how.
Speaker 5: Much as sometimes as much as four thousand people, Okay, and.
Speaker 3: That's one of the big ones. So you know, four thousand people is pretty good.
Speaker 4: But his automation and technology becomes war and more advanced, fewer and fewer people, and so it's a double hit. I mean, Trump is right, we wants to bring he wants to bring manufacturing here, and that's the whole point of his tariffs.
Speaker 3: And we'll see if he's right. He's playing the long game, and it may not be such a long game. We'll see.
Speaker 5: But here's the question for you build when you play the long game. Knowing that he's only in office for three and a half more years. Can they wait him out and like say, Okay, we're moving our production and then once he's out of office, go, never mind, we're going back to Mexico.
Speaker 4: Yes, except that, are there going to be moves to actually build or refurbish those plants.
Speaker 3: They can't just say we're going to, We're going to, We're going to. Right now, the.
Speaker 4: Trump administration is saying, these people are trillions of dollars.
Speaker 3: Have been committed to bringing manufacturing back.
Speaker 4: There's a big difference between the administration saying they said versus there they are building the plant. And if they're going aggressively to build the plant, I think that's one thing. If it's just babbel babbel babel, I think is something else saying me to your point? You know, for example, stopping the war in Ukraine, right, the Ukrainian War. I mean, you can say all you want, oh, I'm going to stop it. I'm going to stop it. I'm going to stop it. Ain't happening. Same thing with Hamas Israel ain't happening. So talk is cheap, and that's for any administration, all right, Starbucks updating their dress code. They should focus on making their coffee not taste burnt. But they're doing this to limit the amount of colors that the staff can wear as part of the effort to enhance its signature.
Speaker 2: Green apron and the look that it brings.
Speaker 1: So starting May twelfth, Baristas there is no masculine form of that name. By the way, it's not Baristas, it's Baristas for male and female folks will be required to wear a solid black top, whether it's you know, crew neck, collared, button up, whatever it is, and bottoms must be a shade of black, khaki or blue denim. They'll also provide at least two free black T shirts.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that'll change Starbucks sales. That'll just change the company completely. I don't know, see making big changes here is black t shirts.
Speaker 3: Everybody. Oh oh, you saw the video and talked about the video on this one. Amy, I'm sure you saw it with the elephants.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yes, Oh, is that what we're moving on to now? Yeah, well, I didn't know you were ready to move past star.
Speaker 6: This is the coolest thing.
Speaker 5: So the five point two earthquake hits yesterday at ten o eight and San Diego Zoo has cameras trained on all of their enclosures, and the elephants kind of start running around like what the heck is going on while the shaking is going on. And then immediately after the shaking, they formed this protective circle. It's called a circle alert, and they literally, you know, circle the wagons and protect the young ones. And so they got the seven year old. There were two seven year olds that were kind of put into the middle and they are they form a circle and they look around to make sure that everybody's safe, and they did that so cool.
Speaker 6: It's so cool to see it.
Speaker 3: So they jerked into a circle.
Speaker 5: Okay, well they jerk, but anyway, San Diego Zoo put out the video of it. If you want to go see it. It's it's kind of everywhere. It's gone viral, but yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: On everybody's yesterday. It was the first time.
Speaker 1: We're going straight into this story California Early Warning System about five point two about the five point two earthquake. It was the first time I received that alert before the earthquake. Did anybody else get it and then feel it?
Speaker 5: We got it here because I was still in the air with Gary and Shannon, and she started screaming and went, what an earthquake? And it said shake alert five point eight, and then about thirty seconds later, not sure because I wasn't counting the time, then we started feeling it here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't it was enough time to actually alert me.
Speaker 1: And I was with I was with my boy and he's like, what's that And you know, my watch and my phone are going off, and I said, come here, and he came.
Speaker 2: He came over and right then then we felt it. So it's the first time that ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that's it is cool.
Speaker 4: I didn't feel the earthquake, and my phone gave me an alert after the fact, which is really weird.
Speaker 6: And you're a lot closer to it.
Speaker 3: I was a lot closer.
Speaker 4: I'm in South Orange County and it was much closer. So Lazy got the alert and I didn't feel it. But you know, it's it was so slight. You know, when a truck rumbles past the studio, you get more of the shaking of the building.
Speaker 1: But here's the point, the further out from the earthquake, you are probably more accurate the working is going to be because it's going right now and.
Speaker 4: It gives you.
Speaker 3: I mean, it doesn't give you much time.
Speaker 4: I mean it does give you time if you're Jehovah's Witnesses witness to get under a doorway in front of someone's house and pitch the watch Tower magazine to them. I get that, But it's just a second or two that you get. Some sometimes you get five or six seconds.
Speaker 5: Well, here's the thing that was weird about it was that I saw it and I've said, Okay, they say it's a five point eight and it's coming.
Speaker 6: So I was calmer about it.
Speaker 3: Oh, because you knew it wasn't going to be huge.
Speaker 6: Well, but five point eight that's a big one.
Speaker 3: I mean it's not you got to see damage.
Speaker 4: At six six and a half is where you start getting and then at seven, of course you start really getting the shakes.
Speaker 6: That's true, But it was sort of calming to me.
Speaker 3: I don't. Yeah, that's a lot of people that story talked about that.
Speaker 4: A lot of people are actually felt better about it knowing it was coming and knowing that it was not going to be huge.
Speaker 3: Other people are scared of death, Oh my god, earthquake. At earthquake, you dive under a desk.
Speaker 6: Remember that guy on KTLA that went under the desk a few years ago.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, Kent Shocknick on Channel four.
Speaker 4: Kent Shocknick was known for literally it was Katla, but Ken Shocknick, who terrific news guy, and we used to actually hang together. We I did some socializing with him for a period of time. He will never be able to live that down. And when they said, what a gutlass wonder, you know, and he made fun of him, he said, those lights that weigh four hundred pounds that are above a studio, we're all shaking like leaves in a wind. And if any one of them fell and hit anybody, it's instant death. And no one really took that into consideration.
Speaker 6: I just goggled it and it came up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what came up?
Speaker 2: Days There are yees yeah stuff. But those were massive lights.
Speaker 3: He got, oh there were huge lights.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, So Washington's out of luck.
Speaker 5: The FEMA has denied Washington State's request for emergency relief funds to help repair an estimated thirty four million dollars in damage from that bomb cyclone that hit in November. The governor said that the state's January application for assistance was denied In a letter he received last week, he says the state's application met all the criteria necessary to qualify for the funding.
Speaker 4: I have a question if Washington, the state of washing were to ask for a grant to paint every single state building red, do you think that would be the money would be giving.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's move on, all right.
Speaker 1: The Trump administration, or mister Freeze as he's known around these parts, said just yesterday, Yeah, I'll get by you like chew. So it's going to freeze two point two billion dollars in the multi year grants or a handful of multi year grants and sixty million in multi year contracts valued at Harvard University after the school said that it would not follow policy demands from the administration.
Speaker 2: Basically that's all focused on the DEI stuff.
Speaker 1: And they said, you know, we're not gonna we're not going to follow these demands from this administration.
Speaker 2: And so Trump says, then you don't get my money.
Speaker 3: Yep, they're playing chicken.
Speaker 4: I'm going to do that at the top of the hour because that's worth to get into the fight Harvard versus Trump, Trump versus Harvard.
Speaker 3: And this is really interesting.
Speaker 2: Is Harvard even seen as a good school anymore.
Speaker 3: Not anymore. No, it's it's not even cal State Northrich anymore.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 5: That's what I thought, Okay, slashing state Trump administration officials say they want to cut the State Department funding in half or the budget rather. That would mean the elimination of thirty billion dollars, and as part of the plan it's not final yet, the administration is considering a recommendation to shut down at least twenty seven missions in.
Speaker 3: That sorry about that, geez, and foreign.
Speaker 6: Aid could be slashed by nearly seventy five percent.
Speaker 4: This is gonna be tough cutting half this department. You'll be waiting two and a half years or five years for a passport. It will be made out of tissue because they can't afford the paper. It's going to be crazy. And then there are some countries. Doesn't say which countries, at least, the story doesn't tell us in Africa and Europe, where there won't even be an embassy, much less consulates. I mean big countries have not only embassies. For example, France has an embassy in Washington, but has consulate office offices La and New York and you know the major cities. So you're going to see some of those closed down there.
Speaker 2: I think they're going to reuse some of those photo maps from back in the day. Those will be the new embassies.
Speaker 1: Harvey Weinstein, piece of crap, once a prolific film producer, massive downfall, you know, hashtag.
Speaker 2: Me too, all that stuff, and he's faced to facing.
Speaker 1: A retrial in Manhattan this week after New York's Court of Appeals overturned his landmark first conviction. So jury selection starts today in this case against Weinstein, who's seventy three but looks about a hunter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't matter. He's going to die in prison, but they're going to retry him.
Speaker 4: And they've added another another charge too, So I mean it doesn't matter because he was tagged in LA and given.
Speaker 3: Sixteen years and he is not going to last very long. I mean, this guy is.
Speaker 4: Sick, sick, He's had operations. He's in the hospital more than he's in prison. They move him over to the hospital.
Speaker 6: Worried about losing your job, Well you're not alone.
Speaker 5: The Federal Reserve Bank of New York did a survey and found that people are getting increasingly insecure about their job security, The probability of losing one's job or people who are worried about it in the next year is up to fifteen point seven percent, which is a twelve percent high, or I'm sorry, not twelve percent, a twelve month high. The Federal Reserve Bank also put a forty four percent probability of the nation's jobless rate being higher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all those next year.
Speaker 4: It's pretty good now high tech. There are certain jobs that are very difficult to get right now. But you know, employments still in pretty good shape.
Speaker 1: You go to the when watching people come into the building in the morning when they're key card works, they go yes, and then they.
Speaker 4: Oh, absolutely, absolutely, yeah, you keep your job, and that's considered a raise.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: Vice President jd. Vance maybe you heard about him. He dropped the College Football Playoff National Champion trophy during an event at the White House on the South Lawn yesterday. It was a fumble kind of a situation, but he was honoring the champion Ohio State Buckeyes, and he's former senator from Olah.
Speaker 2: He graduated from Ohio State. And then he joked on social media.
Speaker 1: I didn't want anyone after Ohio State to get the trophy, so I decided to break it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, and of course a huge event. He dropped it, and let's make a big deal as if people don't drop it. Now, if he threw it at somebody, that would make that would be news. But come on, guys, it's like Lenna McMahon, she said a one because you know, come on, please, you know it's there's plenty to attack people on policy wise and personality not stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So he dropped it. You've never dropped anything before.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 6: You know what it tells me? That trophy was made very cheaply.
Speaker 3: Fifty pounds and it broke.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just dropped a trophy, an award and it was it was really nice, very nice because the award it was for, uh, the La Lawyer's Philharmonic. I was made an honorary member and it's just absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 3: And it it broke, And I just thought i'd mentioned that.
Speaker 2: Okaying with it?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know. It broke during the move.
Speaker 4: I guess we're just unpacking stuff. All right, we're done. Notice I had to bring me into the picture. Notice that it's all about me. Okay, that's what this show is about, is that, right? You do? It's not the Neil Savadra Show, No No, Do you understand? Okay kf I am six.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six
Speaker 4: Am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app