Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. In a moment, we're going to bring you this week's episode of Drag Napp. But first I want to encourage you. If you're enjoying the podcast, please follow us using your favorite podcast software and be sure to rate and review the podcast wherever you download it. From today's program is rauch you in part by the financial support of our listeners. You can support the show on a one time basis support dot Great Detectives dot net and become one of our ongoing Patreon supporters for as little as two dollars per month at Patreon dot Great Detectives dot net. But now, from April twenty fourth, nineteen fifty two, here is the Big Elevator.
Speaker 2: The story you're about to hear is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. You're a detective sergeant. You're assigned a homicide detail. You've got a call from the receiving hospital in your city. A dead body has been left in the hospital elevator. There's no lead to the identity of the corpse. There's no apparent cause of that. Your job investigator.
Speaker 3: Drag Net the documented drama of an actual crime. All the next thirty minutes, in cooperation with the Los Angeles Police Department, you will travel step by step on the side of the law through an actual case transcribed from official police files, from beginning to end, from crime to punishment, drag Net is the story of your police force and action.
Speaker 4: It was Wednesday, November ninth. That was foggy in Los Angeles. We were working the night watch out a homicide detail. My partner's Bill Lockwood. The boss is Captain Lrmon. My name's Friday. It was eleven, twenty eight pm when we got to the third floor at Georgia Street Receiving Hospital, doctor Terrell's office right right to see You've been waiting for you. We made it as soon as we could. Doctor, Like, have you meet my new partner, Bill Lockwood, Doctor Carroll.
Speaker 5: Bill, how I think I've seen you round Lockwood?
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, how I understand you got a problem talk with the start.
Speaker 7: Odd one after a few minutes after eleven, you want to sit down a minute, I'll fill in.
Speaker 5: Before we go back and take a look at the body.
Speaker 6: Thanks very much.
Speaker 7: I understand it's a woman that right, Yeah, Grace Morgan, she's a night nurse son duty. She told me she was sitting at the desk checking over.
Speaker 5: Some patients cards.
Speaker 7: It was about five ten minutes after eleven when she heard the elevator come up. She heard the elevator stop and the door's open. Kept on checking the cards there, didn't pay any attention to it, and then she realized nobody got out of the elevator. She looked up and the elevator doors were still open. She saw this young woman slumped over in a wheelchair sitting there in the elevator.
Speaker 6: A woman was alone with her. That's right.
Speaker 7: The nurse went over and wheeled her out of the elevator. A woman was wearing a nightgown a bathroom over that. She's unconscious, nurse called me. The two of us took the woman into a treatment room, examined her. She was dead in any indication, how long the body was still warm, She didn't lived in dead a short time, any idea of the cause of death. And then there's a couple of abrasions on her right shoulder, another one in the right temporal region. Not positive, but I don't think any of them were severe enough to cause death.
Speaker 6: No other markings at all.
Speaker 7: No, she seemed to have been in good physical condition. Know, it's a strong smell of alcohol, though, could be cheap and drinking.
Speaker 6: Here's a nurse. Pretty sure.
Speaker 7: The woman came up the elevator alone. Possibility one of the attendants might have brought her up.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 7: I checked for the attendant on duty down the first floor lobby, Ray Collins. He didn't bring her up. He said a man came in the lobby about eleven o'clock said he had a sick woman out in his car. He asked for a wheelchair to bring her in. Ray asked if he could help, but the man said he'd take care of it. It's all Rady knows about it. He let the man have a wheelchair, then he went in the back room to change some linens on the ambulance striction.
Speaker 6: Any possibility one of the other attendants might have brought her up on the elevator.
Speaker 7: No, Collins was the only attendant on duty.
Speaker 6: I'd like to talk to him. Is he still around?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I knew you'd want to see him. He was off duty eleven thirty. I held him over. He's down at the corner having a sandwich. He'll be back in a few minutes. What do you figure, doctor, I think the one could have operated the elevator self possible, not too probable, though it's a self operating elevator automatic. Someone could have wield a woman into the elevator, pushed the button for the third floor, and then stepped back. We're taking her straight up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the nurses sure the elevator didn't go back down after it got up here.
Speaker 5: Positive, she heard the elevator doors open. They stayed that way.
Speaker 7: She kept waiting for someone to come out, and that's what attracted her attention.
Speaker 6: How about identification the woman have a person or anything like that.
Speaker 7: Not, No, all she had was what she was wearing nightgown slippers in the bathroom.
Speaker 5: Let's go back and have a look on of swimming.
Speaker 7: Okay, have it? You saw the only markings on the body of those abrasions on the shoulder and the forehead. Yeah, yeah, you don't think that's why she's dead. You any ideas at all? I wouldn't want to say Lockwood strange one. Then I have to wait for the autopsy. How about the wheelchair? The woman came up in dockwards it though back here in the same room with the body, and I gave notice it wasn't to be touched.
Speaker 5: I knew you'd want to check it.
Speaker 6: Oh far in here, all right, just spoke in here?
Speaker 7: Yeah, sure, no thanks, No over here on the table, nurse put the woman's clothing over there, nightgown, slippers, bathroom I see. Seems to be a fairly young woman, i'd.
Speaker 5: Say, in her early thirties.
Speaker 7: Nice looking girl, well groomed nose, her hair and fingernails, well kept bruised.
Speaker 6: There on her head. Took a pretty good blow to cause that.
Speaker 5: When you say, yeah, it might even be worse than it looks hard to say right now. Other abrasions I.
Speaker 7: Was telling you about right here along the clavicle seem to be fairly distinct for or forum.
Speaker 6: That's all of them.
Speaker 7: Uh, it's it, like I say, we'll no more after they post the money. Take a look at the clothing, O're he? You want to check over the bathrobe bill, Yeah, there's.
Speaker 4: No label here, size marking though, size thirty four, just an ordinary rayon nightgown seems to be fairly new. It's not damaged. Nothing in the bathrobe, Joe. Both pocket's empty, no visible marking. Manufacturer's label here fairly common.
Speaker 6: Trade name Lodi Marks.
Speaker 7: No, none showing we can have a crime lab check them over.
Speaker 6: How about the slippers, though it's the same nothing.
Speaker 5: Do you fellows want me to notify the corner, No, we'll get a doc.
Speaker 6: We have to call in for the crime lab crew. Anyway, it looks like a rough one.
Speaker 7: We don't even know what we've got.
Speaker 5: And figured if somebody murdered the woman, why did they bring her here to die?
Speaker 6: Yeah, she was sick or.
Speaker 7: Hurt and they were worried enough about it to bring her here. Why do they want to get rid of her? Leave her alone in an elevator? Yeah, it doesn't make sense. Somebody's got something to hide. Sure could use a lead man puts her on the elevator and sends her up three floors. Who she is? How she died? I don't even know where she came from.
Speaker 4: No choice when we start at the beginning, Yeah, ground floor, eleven fifty two pm. The receiving hospital attendant Ray Collins returned and we interviewed him.
Speaker 6: In doctor Terrell's office.
Speaker 4: He told us substantially the same thing the doctor had told us at a few minutes past eleven o'clock that night, a man entered the lobby of the hospital and asked for a wheelchair to move a patient up to the third floor. Colin stated he gave the man the wheelchair, the man refused his offer of assistance, and Collins went on about his work. He didn't see the patient, he didn't see any car park outside, and he was able to give us only a partial description of the man, himself a male Caucasian about thirty five years old, short, heavy built, old dark hair.
Speaker 6: The group from the Prime Lab arrived and began their investigation. The body was.
Speaker 4: Photographed and fingerprinted, and the wheelchair was also dusted for prints. The clothing was packed up to be taken downtown for further examination. After the men from the Prime Lab left, Bill Lockwood began a canvas of the immediate neighborhood for possible witnesses. Meantime, I checked with the rest of the hospital person out.
Speaker 6: On the patience. They could tell me nothing.
Speaker 4: Twelve thirty am I met Bill back at doctor Terrell's office.
Speaker 7: How'd you do? Joey?
Speaker 4: Lock After the nurses and some of the other attendants they couldn't help any checked with a dispatcher on incoming and outgoing ambulance.
Speaker 6: There's nothing there? What about you? No good?
Speaker 7: Most of the business places around here a lock up. Talk to the newsboy down at the corner. He was about the only one in the street. He didn't see anything.
Speaker 4: Sure going slow and then might give Bergmann a call see if he's got the woman's princes classified that.
Speaker 7: How about the corner show up yere?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he's in there now, yes, ma'am give me station two five five seven, Yeah, that's right, late in print, All right, let me talk to Bergman plice right, yeah, Dean, Joe Friday.
Speaker 6: Now we're still over at the hospital. And do any good to those prints? That's what we figured How about her princes? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay Dean, thanks, yeah right, we're still betting a thousand when you say they make her princes? Nothing in records on her. Dean's going to set along a set to Washington see if they got anything.
Speaker 6: How about the wheelchair? Any prints there?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 6: The nurses and Doc Carrell's that's all we figured on that, didn't we how's he luck? Sure is?
Speaker 4: I checked with missing persons while you were up. There's nothing there either, I mean, how about finish this up here, Holly.
Speaker 6: We better get back to the office. Joe, Yeah, I think I got something for you here, you know.
Speaker 7: Nurse at the switchboard got a call a minute ago. Man's voice wanted to know the condition of Colline Cheswick. Nurse checked the list of patients, didn't find anyone by that name. The man insisted she's here. The nurse asked him one time the woman was admitted to the hospital. He told her at eleven o'clock tonight. Now, man said, I know she's there. I brought her myself along.
Speaker 6: With doctor Terrell.
Speaker 4: Bill Lockwood and I went down the hall and talked to the nurse who'd received the phone call. She told us that she tried to question the caller as to his name and his relationship to the allegation Carla Chaswick, but the man refused and hung up. We put in a call to R and I and asked him to run the name for us. There was no one for that name in the files. We went back to the doctor's office and started checking through the telephone directories.
Speaker 6: In the northwestern section.
Speaker 4: We found a listing for a missus Carla z Chaswick on North Capitol Avenue. We called the number but there was no answer, and we checked with the office, told him what we had and we were going to follow through on it. One eighteen am.
Speaker 6: It was only a possibility, but it had to be checked out.
Speaker 4: Bill Lockwood and I left Georgia Street Receiving Hospital, got in the car and drove out to the address on North Capitol Avenue. Was a large apartment house, fairly new. The name on the mailbox for apartment eighteen was missus Carla Chaswick. We rang but there was no answer. We finally had to get the manager out of bed, Missus Herbert. We identified ourselves and explained the reason.
Speaker 6: For our visit.
Speaker 4: She got a pass key, showed us upstairs to the second floor and let us in apartment eighteen. There was no one there, but there was evidence of a recent party within a matter of hours. Half filled cocktailed glasses, an empty whiskey bottle, a glass bowl containing partially melted ice cubes. An end table in the corner has been overturned. In the bedroom, women's clothing was scattered on the floor and on the dressing table.
Speaker 6: On the mantel in the living room there was a picture of a woman did.
Speaker 7: You notice anything unusual about her at that time?
Speaker 6: Is her?
Speaker 7: I mean anything out of the ordinary.
Speaker 10: Oh, don't think so. She'd been drinking some I'm pretty sure of that, and that's not unusual for missus Cheswick. She drinks quite a bit, parties and things, runs around a lot.
Speaker 6: Yes, you didn't notice anything about her face, No cuts, bruises.
Speaker 10: Anyone, No, nothing like that.
Speaker 7: Why and you told her she had quite a few men friends. Do you know any of their names? Where they live?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 7: CA's they to do? She was just rooms.
Speaker 9: The tenants.
Speaker 10: I didn't try to get acquainted. It didn't have much in common with her. The other tenants isn't either a matter of fact, she kept pretty much to herself, her and her friends.
Speaker 4: I see now about this party she had last night with Herbert. They say, you don't know who was there with her?
Speaker 7: No, I'm afraid of don't.
Speaker 10: When I called her on the phone to ask her to quiet things down, I heard that one man's voice talking.
Speaker 7: That's about all.
Speaker 10: Though I couldn't tell you who was there?
Speaker 4: Was there anyone at all that you know of? It was close to her, I mean someone we could talk to about her.
Speaker 10: Well, her husband. I suppose he's the only one close to her. I know he comes around every month and takes care of the rent. Kind of peculiar thing, but I never questioned it. I figured it's their business live and let's live. You any idea where we can find the husband, I'm not sure. He works at a machine shop out near Glendale. I have these home address in my rent book downstairs. If you want it, yes, man, we'd like to have that if we could.
Speaker 4: Would you happen to know how missus Cheswick and her husband got along, I mean the separation of there.
Speaker 6: Was it friendly or did they still quarrel quite a bit?
Speaker 10: No, as far as I know, they got along all right, as long as they didn't have to live together. For mister Cheswick, I's sorry for him. It's going to take it hard his wife. I don't know whether to blame or pity or she was a terrible disappointment to him, that's all. I had a long talk with him once. Seemed like such a nice man, hard worker, and he's a wife. He was so disgusted, I mean, drinking all the time, going out with different than men. Bitter disappointment.
Speaker 6: He told me how well or did he see violent on the subject iming did he feel angered toward his wife, wh.
Speaker 10: Just pit a City'd rather have her dead than go on the way she was.
Speaker 4: We checked through the dead woman's apartment for names and addresses of some of our men friends, but we found nothing. The crew from the crime lab went over the apartment thoroughly. The only evidence found were fingerprints on some of.
Speaker 6: The cocktail glasses.
Speaker 4: Along with the apartment manager, missus Herbert, we went downstairs and she gave us mister Chesswick's home address and also his place of employment.
Speaker 6: Two thirty am we got to a phone and called.
Speaker 4: Cheswick's home, but the people he was staying with told us that he wasn't there.
Speaker 6: He was working the.
Speaker 4: All night shift at a farm implement factory on Glendale Boulevard. Three to zero five am, Bill and I drove out to the factory and checked with the night personnel superintendent. He directed us to the factory repair shop, where Chesswick was employed as a welder. The forarman at the repair shop pointed him out course Chaswick was working on the welding line.
Speaker 6: A tall, thin man slight build.
Speaker 4: Bill Lockwood and I went back and introduced ourselves.
Speaker 8: Say any Cheswick. That's my name. What can I do for it?
Speaker 11: Like to talk to you for a few minutes as we could. It's about your wife, Donna. What's the matter of seeing trouble again?
Speaker 6: It might be better if we can step outside and talk. It will take very long, all right.
Speaker 8: I gotta finish up this little job here. If you don't mind waiting a couple of pieces of tube, It won't take a minute.
Speaker 6: Here you go right ahead.
Speaker 8: You might stand back a couple of steps.
Speaker 11: This thing pops a little okay, thanks, Ah, too much oxygen.
Speaker 8: I have to light it again. Ah, that does it? Don't look at the flames go bast of your eyes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 8: For suring their money, don't they Yeah?
Speaker 6: They seem to a lot of work.
Speaker 8: Manish just tacond hair. Okay, that's got it. Now, what's this about my wife? Sergeant? What's the matter?
Speaker 6: Well, I understand you're separated from missus Chadwick.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's right about a year ago now. Finally gave it up as a bad job. Wasn't anything I could do for nothing else anybody could do for her hopeless.
Speaker 6: Well when's the last time you saw?
Speaker 11: First of the month went by the pair of Rent dropped in and say hello, that's all.
Speaker 8: I stay away as much as I can. No good, plumb.
Speaker 11: That's about all you can say about her. James to admit I was eating married to? Or why do you ask anyway?
Speaker 6: The wife's dead, mister Cheswick?
Speaker 8: Uh? Yes, but she died late last night. Found her at Georgia Street Receiving Hospital.
Speaker 11: Oh, because I've been expecting something like that.
Speaker 8: I can't feel sorry. Probably the best thing for ither have to.
Speaker 6: But we're not sure.
Speaker 4: I wonder if we could step outside triby a lot easier to talk with it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, all right, fine, over here, we can duck out the back way.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 5: You say they found her at Georgia Street, huh?
Speaker 6: Or was it she in an accident? I say it doesn't look like that.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have to wait for the coroner's report.
Speaker 6: What time do you check in at night for work, mister Cheswick.
Speaker 5: We're supposed to be on the job by ten o'clock. I punched in before that tonight.
Speaker 7: Why teen question?
Speaker 11: I suppose I've been around the Planet'll watch for your check in a ten and you've been here ever since?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: You can ask any of them what's the pitch You.
Speaker 7: Think I had something to do with it, Charlie getting killed?
Speaker 6: Well, we didn't say that, Cheswick.
Speaker 4: Your wife's dead and we have to check out all the leads, all the possible suspect.
Speaker 7: Well, I don't know how it happened, but I didn't have anything. I lived nine years with her. I was just nine years of my life, booze parties, going out all the time.
Speaker 5: She wasn't my wife. She didn't know what the word meant.
Speaker 4: I understand she's been running around with different men lately. Do you have to know any of them?
Speaker 6: Oh? I don't know.
Speaker 5: I couldn't care less. Stupid dame, Sergeant. That's the easiest way you can let her off. I tried to make a go of it, wasn't any good. I worked for her, try to give her everything she wanted. Didn't make any difference.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a bum Some of them must be born that way of bum day.
Speaker 5: I could have killed her. I had reason enough to. I didn't.
Speaker 6: How about your wife's drinking him?
Speaker 7: But did she do most of it at home or did you go out.
Speaker 6: To the bars?
Speaker 5: I always at the bar.
Speaker 7: Only one place she ever went to place on Nathan Rosewood right on the corner. Went there all the time, six seven nights a week, hang over the bar all night. I'd like to put up with that for nine years, so drinking, going off somewhere and weekend I'll come. It lasted that long, Chesswick, I don't know. I guess I should have had my head examined her just the bomb. I figured I could change her. Kept trying. They were worked out. After drinking, she'd have these terrific headaches, would make her sick.
Speaker 5: I'd stay home from.
Speaker 7: Work and take care of her, wait on her hand and foot. She always made promises, nothing but a liar. Soon as she got well, she'd start it all over again, the same thing. Yeahs the bumb tramp, no good at all, no good.
Speaker 5: Tramp, no good tramp.
Speaker 6: Chadwick, mister Chesswick is.
Speaker 5: All what you do, Carley, She's dead.
Speaker 4: Probably when the dead woman's husband there was Cherswick recovered. We continued questioning him, but we got nowhere. Before we left the plant, we checked his time card, talked to the machine shop foreman and some of the men Chesswick worked with.
Speaker 6: We got the same story. All along the line.
Speaker 4: Chesswick had showed up for work at nine forty six pm the night before, and had not left the plant since that time.
Speaker 6: Four thirty five am.
Speaker 4: Bylla and I got in the car, drove back to the office and typed up a fifteen point seven report for Captain Wrman.
Speaker 6: Eight thirty am.
Speaker 4: Over in the County Morgue, the body of missus Cheswick was being posted.
Speaker 6: A few minutes past ten.
Speaker 4: Am, Bill Lockwood and I drove out to the bar in the corner of Eighth and Rosewood, the same bar where Ernest Cheswick told us his wife did most of her drinking with a typical neighborhood talk heal lounge in the early morning, two customers sipping beer at the bar under the bar, the manager busy.
Speaker 6: Washing glasses and bringing in supply.
Speaker 4: We called him over and identified ourselves.
Speaker 7: Popular girl married, old Ernie Chesswick separated.
Speaker 6: Now, yeah, do you know she was in here last night?
Speaker 9: That's right?
Speaker 7: She was hardly missus Knight.
Speaker 4: Why would you have to know about what time she left last night?
Speaker 8: Thirty about that mine? I sat frona there downtown in the bar' no better than me?
Speaker 9: How's that he left with us?
Speaker 3: You are listening to drag meth authentic stories of your police force and action.
Speaker 4: November tenth, Thursday, ten fourteen am, the manager of the cocktail.
Speaker 6: Lounge pointed out the man at the end.
Speaker 4: Of the bar who was supposed to have left the place shortly after eight o'clock the night before with the dead woman, Carla Cheswick.
Speaker 6: Bill Lockwood and I.
Speaker 4: Went up to the man, identified ourselves and questioned him briefly. He appeared tense and highly nervous. He told us his name was John Gables, an assistant sales manager for a downtown jewelry. Concerned, he didn't deny that he was in the bar the night before, but he refused to admit that he left with missus Cheswick. He insisted he didn't even know her. We asked him to a comper how he spent his time the night before.
Speaker 7: He refused.
Speaker 6: We got him a car and drove downtown.
Speaker 4: To the City Hall while Bill took the suspect of the interrogation room.
Speaker 6: I stopped by the R and I counter and had to make a run on Gables. He had no.
Speaker 4: Previous criminal record. I called him morg but there was no report on the autopsy yet. Ten fifty two am I signed in at the office brief Captain Lorman on the developments, and then I haded down the hall for the interrogation room.
Speaker 7: We had a couple of drinks together, and that's all it was to it. You didn't ask anybody who was there. She got up and left by herself. I didn't go with it. Jill Eables, who was just telling me you did see missus Cheswick in the bar last night. I had a couple of drinks with us.
Speaker 6: Why did you hold out, Gable?
Speaker 7: Why couldn't you told us that when we asked you, I didn't remember. Then you came up to me and the bar started asking questions. I got a rattle. Did make a different?
Speaker 9: So?
Speaker 7: I didn't even know her name, said those couple of drinks with him, and then she got up and left. That's all. I didn't go out with him. And the bartender says, you did, sure of it. He says he can get half of another people to back him up. He's wrong, He's got to be. He's thinking of somebody else.
Speaker 6: Well, if you didn't leave the bar with miss Chesswick, when did you leave?
Speaker 7: I don't know. At five to ten minutes later, I get where'd you go? Then I walked around a little bit, got a little fresh air, and I went to a show, which one I don't remember the name of the places. So n rose with a couple of blocks down from the bar or pictures you see. I'm not sure. I had a couple of drinks.
Speaker 6: I went to the movies. You don't even know what you saw.
Speaker 7: I told you I had a couple of drinks, feeling pretty good. I just don't remember that song. Not much of an hour bar gave us talking about it.
Speaker 4: I don't mean Alabama's dead, mister, you were with her the last time she was seen alive.
Speaker 7: It wasn't with her. I don't care what anybody tells you.
Speaker 6: I wasn't with this movie. You say you went to What times you get.
Speaker 7: Out at the midnight? I think I don't remember.
Speaker 6: Where'd you go after that? Bar?
Speaker 7: Had a few more drinks, and then I went back to my hotel. Which bar was a place on West Seventh. I'd go there sometimes. I know the bartender.
Speaker 6: What times you leave there?
Speaker 7: Closing time two o'clock? And then I went back to my hotel.
Speaker 6: You say you know the bartender there, I guess he'd be glad to vouch for you. I mean that you were there when you said you were.
Speaker 7: I don't know. Maybe not. He was pretty busy last night, maybe didn't notice me. How about your hotel h the desk clerk, somebody like that. They should be able to tell what time you got in. Don't you think they wouldn't know. I always carry my key with me. I'd go into side door. They wouldn't know what time I got in.
Speaker 6: What are you trying to sell? Mister? What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: You knocked around town from eight o'clock last night till past two o'clock this morning. You can't think of anyone that could watch for you where you were, what time you got here, what time you left?
Speaker 7: I can't think of anybody right now. I don't take down names and the dresses every time somebody looks at me. What's the difference, anyway? I didn't have anything to do with a girl.
Speaker 4: This difference gable attendant at the hospital. He got a good look at the man who came in and asked for that wheelchair. He gave us a man's description that fits you pretty close, So it doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 7: He could make a mistake too, just like that bartender.
Speaker 6: They're all wrong. But you's know what you're trying to say.
Speaker 7: Look, as far as I'm concerned, I only got one thing to say. I had a couple of drinks with Karla last night, and that's all. She left by herself. I didn't even go near the apark.
Speaker 6: How do you know she had an apartment?
Speaker 7: Well, you told me, you said, so, you know, we didn't say anything like that, And I guess I heard around the bar. Maybe she mentioned to me, Yeah, that's probably it.
Speaker 6: Why don't you come off at Gables?
Speaker 12: Come off what.
Speaker 7: I don't even know what you getting.
Speaker 4: We want a straight story, and we're not getting it. You told us she didn't even know the chairs with women before last night. You didn't even know her name, that's right. And why did you say Carla? Just a minute ago you said I had a couple of drinks with Carla. They say that that's what you're saying. Maybe I just hadn't remembered. I was drink quite a bit talking to her. Maybe I just remembered, won't.
Speaker 7: Do Gables story, doesn't know water? How about it? I don't know. I was drinking quite a bit. A lot of things I don't remember.
Speaker 6: How I've given it to a straight What do you remember?
Speaker 7: I thought about it, thought about it all night. The more I went over, the worst it got. I just couldn't remember. I knew what it did sound like in court. I couldn't tell it that.
Speaker 6: We couldn't tell what.
Speaker 7: I didn't kill her. I didn't even touch it. You gotta believe that. I left the bar with her about eight fifteen, eight thirty. She invited me up to her apartment. She was pretty well gone. I had quite a few drinks, got there and had some more to drink, and Karla got up and started for the kitchen to get some more ice. She tripped, I think stumbled a little bit, and then she fell down. I think that's the way it was, all right, go on. She tried to get up, and then she fell again. Wasn't a bad fallow. I figured she just passed out. Got some cold towels, ice water. I tried to bring her around. It wasn't any good. She was white as a sheep. I got scared. I didn't know what happened.
Speaker 6: What'd you do that?
Speaker 7: I don't remember. I just kept trying to bring her around. I don't remember any of it very well. I don't even know why she fell down, could have hit her.
Speaker 6: Gable.
Speaker 7: Do you think maybe that's why she fell down? No, I don't know. I don't think so, I don't. I don't think I was mad at her for anything. I think we were having a pretty good time. I just don't remember, that's all. I'm not sure about any of it. It was no good at all.
Speaker 6: Did you kill her? Gable?
Speaker 7: No, Sergeant, I swear it, as far as I can remember, I didn't. We were having a good time, that's all I know. I know I wasn't mad. I'm not a nasty drunk, not as far as I can remember. Anyway, What did you do when you couldn't revive missus Cheswick? He brought her to the hospital.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the shape I was.
Speaker 7: In, I couldn't figure anything else to do. I got her in the car, drove down to Georgia Street. I put her in the elevator, pressed the button and sent her up. I'm a married man, you know. I didn't want any scandal. I didn't want to get involved, and.
Speaker 6: You didn't feel he Is that what you want us to believe.
Speaker 7: I don't know what to tell you. I don't remember if I killed her. I think i'd know it. I'm sure I would. I just don't remember. I got it.
Speaker 6: Pterrogation room Friday time. Yeah, that's uh, this is I got a pencil I gave be sure. How was that? I see?
Speaker 4: No possibility? Yeah, I see. Okay, thanks a lot. Yeah, sure, we'll pick it up later. Bye bye.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Joe Corner's report just finished the autopsy.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Gable s all right, it's all cleared up. What do you mean while you're free to go if you like, we're not gonnology?
Speaker 6: What was the pitched? Joe Corner's report.
Speaker 4: Primary cause of death was a massive cerebral hemorrhage hemorrhae into the ventricle.
Speaker 7: Could have been a blow on the head, couldn't it? You figured that could have done it.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 4: Secondary cause was a brain tumor, a big one. Corner says, she's had it for years. It must have caused her a lot of pain. Probably would have counted for the drinking and the tumor. Wrote on their hemorrhage. That's what's killed her, I.
Speaker 6: Say, Corner says. Erosion of the blood vessel.
Speaker 4: By a brain tumor probably grew caused pressure on a blood vessel finally gave way caused the hemorrhage, and.
Speaker 7: That killer if she just died, I didn't have anything to do. She died and I didn't kill her.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, that's right. Feel free to go if you want.
Speaker 7: Thank God, you know officers, I'll tell you the truth. I didn't know the answer. I didn't know if I killed or not.
Speaker 6: I really didn't.
Speaker 7: Drinking so much, I came to and there she was dead. I didn't know what happened. I really didn't. I didn't know the answer.
Speaker 6: Now you went up on that stable. We thought we did.
Speaker 2: The story you have just heard was true. The names were changed to protect the innocence.
Speaker 3: On Thursday, November tenth, the meeting was held in the office of Captain of Homicide. In a moment the results of that meeting, with the filing of the official autopsy report by the county coroner, John Gables was cleared of all charges. He was released from custody immediately. The death of missus Carla Cheswick was listed as due to natural causes by the Coroner's Jury.
Speaker 6: Ladies and Gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Last year's traffic death toll was thirty seven five hundred, a seven percent increase over nineteen fifty The National Safety Council believes that the best way to promote safety on the road is for each of us to know and obey traffic laws.
Speaker 6: To read and heed traffic signs. So be careful.
Speaker 2: The life you save may be your own.
Speaker 3: You have just heard drag myth a series of authentic cases from official files. Technical advice comes from the Office of Chief of Police W. H. Parker, Los Angeles Police Department Technical advisors Captain Jack Donaho's Sergeant Marty Wynn, Sergeant Fans Bracier heard tonight were Martin Milner, Vic Perrin, and Gwendolino. Script by Jim Mosy, music by Walter Schumann. Hel Gibney speaking.
Speaker 7: Now it's coveror Spy on NBC.
Speaker 1: Welcome Back. There are a couple of moments in this episode that I really appreciated. The questioning of the husband, Ernest Cheswick really captures a lot of emotion. He spent nine years trying to get the relationship to work, is still paying the rent, but is now in this separated status. And in this brief scene you capture the sort of anger and frustration at the broken promises and the end of this self destructive cycle. But then Finally, when that's all done, you get to the real core sadness that this person you spent nearly a decade with is gone, and I appreciate the emotional complexity of that scene. Very well done. And then the interrogation, which shows how sometimes someone in a less than ideal situation might have trouble giving account of themselves to the police even though they're innocent. And it also shows the danger of leaning too heavily into a solution before a full investigation was done. This wasn't a case where they leapt as far as Friday and Jacobs did in the Big Casing, but it still shows that you can get out in front of the evidence, particularly with Friday's closing line. Listener comments and feedback now and we go to YouTube for some comments on the Big Show. Catherine rits a great ending, and Mildred writes, I have fond memories of the Greyhound Buys station when it was on sixth and Los Angeles Street. And also I had a manager whose wife cheated on him and got pregnant with someone else's baby. Instead of getting divorced, he raised the sun as if it was his own. I'm not sure if the boy ever knew that the man who raised him was not his real father. Well, thanks so much, and I guess that is an example of that story in the episode happening in real life. Then we have some comments on our listeners survey and uh Jeremy writes. Uh Uh in Toronto writes when answering what aspect I enjoy most about this podcast, the survey only allowed me to pick one between the hosts content and guest. I selected content, but I feel that separate separating the host from the content is a bit of a disservice to the host. Adam grant their many shoes. I could choose to listen to with similar programming, but I choose to listen to the great detectives of Old time Radio because of the insightful, professional, and entertaining commentary provided by the host. Adam's commentary is an important portion of the content of the show. Well, thanks so much, Jeremy. I appreciate the perspective. And David over in Scotland says the show is fantastic. I love the Sherlock Holmes series, and Paul writes anything with Philip marlowin. I assume that Paul approved of our vacation week programs. Well, now it's time to thank our Patreon supporter of the day, and I want to go ahead and thank Damien, Patreon supporter since March twenty twenty four, currently supporting the podcast at the rookie level of two dollars or more per month. Thanks so much for your support. That will do it for today. If you're enjoying the podcast, please follow us using your favorite podcast software and be sure to rate and review the podcast wherever you download this from. We will be back next Thursday with another episode of Dragnet. But join us back here tomorrow for another episode of Yours Truly Johnny Dollar, where.
Speaker 12: If you are.
Speaker 13: Willing to pay me, will if you can dig up the information I want, I'll maybe you a check for one hundred bucks American immediately journey only.
Speaker 12: For in the steam booth services.
Speaker 13: Okay, two hundred Now listen, there's a little idol, the mailing Buddha.
Speaker 12: It will. I saw it only this morning here in Paris, where at the shop of Monsieur dubuisson On he was mored in only a few weeks ago. And the price on it well, for such aware and exquisite piece, most reasonable how much time? Thirty two million francs.
Speaker 7: Good, that's around eighty thousand dollars.
Speaker 6: So it must be the McCoy.
Speaker 12: You wish me to. Shall we see upteam it for you?
Speaker 6: You mean steal it? What?
Speaker 12: Of course?
Speaker 7: With you?
Speaker 12: But for our price?
Speaker 8: No, no, think I hope.
Speaker 1: You'll be with us then in the meantime, send your comments to Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and check us out on Instagram, Instagram, dot com, slash Great Detectives From boy Se Ataho. This is your host, Adam Graham, sogn and off