Speaker 1: You're listening to an air wave media podcast. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 2: A giant, very creature.
Speaker 3: Part eight part masts in Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 1: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster Monstertle.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith. Today we're going to continue our series on magic because I want to talk about some famous people within that area of study. But I feel like there's two much legend and lore surrounding some of these figures that doesn't give them their proper historical context. So in this episode, we're going to begin a conversation with religious studies expert John crow about theosophy, but we'll be touching on spiritualism, Masonic rites and many other topics. Our goal here is to get to the life of Alistair Crowley, but before we can do that, I think we need to understand the world he grew up in. Also, just a quick note, I believe his name is pronounced Crowley, As Robert Anton Wilson constantly reminds me, it's supposed to run with holy but at some points during the interview, I do say, Crowley, my apologies, but I can't get that Ozzy Osbourne song out of my head anyway. A bit of quick sad Monster News. We want to note the passing of doctor John Bindernagel, a biologist who spent many years researching Bigfoot stories. I had the chance to exchange a few emails with him, and he was always very polite and friendly. And while I never met him in person, I certainly had come to know him by way of his many documentary and book apparent is so rest in peace, doctor binder Nagel. Now let's learn more about the strange history of esoteric beliefs in Western culture with John crow Orange Tutle. Welcome to Monster Talk, John Crowe. I don't think my listeners, well, some of them might know you, but would you mind doing an introduction for yourself?
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I have a background in religious studies, and so I've actually got a master's degree in Western esotericism from the University of Amsterdam, at which I wrote a thesis looking at the history of occultism and focusing in particular on the relationship between theosophy occultism in the person of Alan Bennett, who was Alistair Crowley's teacher in the Golden Dawn and who later became a Buddhist monk and tried to bring Buddhism to England. And then I got my PhD at Florida State University in Religious studies American religious history, focusing on Theosophy again and how Eastern traditions came into the United States, with a particular method of looking at the interaction between religion and science and how that played out in the human body and how people define their bodies. So I've had a long history of looking at the subject of occultism, how it arose, the kind of influences that had in Western culture, and particular people within the tradition, especially in Theosophy, Golden Dawn and the Tholemic current.
Speaker 4: Which so for our listeners, the reason I've asked you to come and join us today for this episode is to talk about Well, initially I contacted you in regards to Alistair Crowley. I asked, Joe Laycock if you knew anybody who would be a good person to talk to, and I was Crowley is such an interesting figure you're in the history of magic that I just didn't feel like I could find a good sort of neutral authority or I wasn't able to on my own and to refer me to you, but you, I don't think it's coincidence, But because it's the same sort of related topics, you also have a really nice understanding and education about the sort of context of Crowley within.
Speaker 2: The whole history of esotericism.
Speaker 4: And I wanted to be able to give Crowley context, and you really seem well suited to do that. So I'm hoping that we can sort of talk through that and understand who he was and his impact on magic and really on sort of pop culture, as well as how he fit into this. I don't know what to colleaguescept esotericism, occultism, this trend that happened at least from my perspective from the mid eighteen hundreds into the early twentieth century to really still be going on in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: So absolutely, yeah, I mean his influences still felt today. I mean you can google his name or his books on Amazon and they're still widely available and people still make a lot of reference to him. He's especially influential in various kinds of artistic endeavors, music, visual art, film theater. So you know he has a long legacy.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, let's get started with the sort of to give it context, the sort of the rise of occultism in Western Europe. Where did this come from? Like, why did this happen? What's the source of all this?
Speaker 1: Well, I think if we look at occultism in its origins, as many of your guests have pointed out, these phenomena, these ways of seeing the world go way way back in human history. Occultism, in many ways is just the modern manifestation of these esoteric currents, in particular the one that kind of arose out of the negotiation with science in the nineteenth century. I would say occultism doesn't even go back to the early modern period, where we see the shift from a kind of natural philosophy responding to Protestantism and the Reformation, and so you start to see different ways of looking at the world. You don't have science yet, this doesn't exist, but you have new ways of looking at the relationship between the divine and the world around us. Prior to the early modern period and when natural philosophy was predominant, there was this assumed relationship between the divine the celestial realm and the physical realm. And then when we start getting into the early modern period with a lot of the people that we think about Bacon and so forth, they start saying, well, what's the best way to investigate these things? And so they start figuring out different kinds of methods induction and testing and things like that, and so you get protoscience there, but you really don't get the full flourishing of what we would call science until you get into the nineteenth century. I mean, the term scientists wasn't coined until the eighteen thirties, so it's really this modern notion of testability, reproducibility, objectivity, that people could trust their senses. That was also an important development in the scientific method, is that people could actually believe what they see, and that objectivity depends upon the reliability of our senses. And this was not always taken to be true. So there was a lot of small pieces that were developing at different times that all came together. And we also need to keep in mind that even the science that arose in the nineteenth century, the scientific method that they use, even going back to Curley where he talks about the method of science, the aim of religion. The method that they were using in the nineteenth century would not be acceptable to science today. And if we talk about spiritualism in the kind of impulse to test spiritualism, the kinds of testings that they were doing the experiments in the eighteen fifties, when scientists look at those notes, diagrams, descriptions and results today, they don't find them reliable, as the kinds of methods that they use that at the time was science is not acceptable today. So we really should understand that this is an evolving method in an evolving way of looking at the world, and we should be reticent about taking our frames of reference and our terms that we use now and projecting them backwards in time, because it really distorts and misrepresents the way people thought and acted and saw the world around them.
Speaker 4: So I think maybe for our listeners it might be a good idea to give a little a few examples of what I'm at least what I'm thinking about. So we've got there are secret societies or clue societies like the Masons, and then there was an I guess at one point an actual group called the Illuminati, which existed I guess at least for a little while with Weisshoft, and then you have in the mid eighteen hundreds you get the rise of spiritualism, and we can talk about that a little bit, but that was I guess, a combination of religious and social movement in some sense. Then we also have the rise of Theosophy, and by the end of the eighteen hundreds, I want to talk a little bit about things like the Golden Dawn and the Oto, and then eventually from there we'll move into Crawley, got it. But there's a lot of terms and groups to throw out the name of. But when we talked before a little bit before this interview, I didn't think about the impact of Masonic groups, but I think maybe we should miss in those as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, okay, So we get the rise of speculative masonry in the seventeen hundreds, as you noted, but we really want to make sure we understand that there are different types of masonry arising at different times. So the masonry that rises in England in the early seventeen hundreds and is brought to the colonies is what's called today blue lodge masonry. It's the first three degrees and that is the standard masonry that everybody knows that anybody who's a mason will have gone through those three degrees, and there the degrees make a person a master mason. Now, in current freemasonry, once you're a master Mason, you can go in different directions, do York right, Scottish Rite, follow those through, and you could even get to other rights outside of masonry propers such as the Shriners and so forth. But when masonry first came to the colonies and spread, it was these first three degrees. Meanwhile, you have in Germany and South Germany, Weishaupt, as you noted, was anti Catholic, anti the the powers that be, and so he tried to create a group and that eventually was found out and it was suppressed. So the connection between the two and why people still think that the Illuminati exists and so forth, is due to this book by a guy called Robinson. Are you familiar with this history?
Speaker 2: Even if I were, I think we should probably go ahead and explain it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So people are familiar with Morse code Samuel Morris, but his father was a minister in Massachusetts named Jedediah Morse, and Jededi Morse discovered a book by John Robinson called Proofs of a Conspiracy against all religions and governments of Europe, carried on in the secret meetings of Freemason's Illuminati and reading society. Yeah, this book is widely available online. You can go to something like archive dot org and download a PDF of it, or Google Books or something. It's widely available, but at the time it was only available in certain cities that were getting shipments from the UK. And Robinson got a copy of this read it and he was deeply moved that there was a conspiracy against Republicanism. And so he started preaching from his pulpit about this conspiracy and he started going and making speeches to Masons. And the one thing that Robinson was doing was he was seeing what we now call Scottish Rite freemasonry. And this is the issue with communication. At the time, we have almost instant communication, but in the seventeen hundreds that wasn't the case. So you had developing in France Scottish Rite free masonry. I know it sounds strange that it developed in France, but it did, and it did not make its way to England directly. It actually had a very securitoiust route of going through the Caribbean, through South Carolina, New York, and then finally to the UK. And so you end up having this situation where in continental Europe they're practicing these extended degrees of masonry. Those extended degrees of masonry come to the United States, but they're not in the UK yet, and so you have Morris asking masons about these degrees and they don't know anything about them. He starts showing pamphlets and of these degrees that were from France. Again nobody knows anything about them. So he starts claiming that there's this big conspiracy. He publishes pamphlets and these can be googled. They're all Scottish right freemasonry, and so it's a real confusion about what's going on. But it sets this foundation for claims that the Illuminati still exists. And so it's really from this book Miscommunication and Suspicion, which has been present in American society from the beginning, this suspicion of government, of suppression and so forth, that sets the foundation for this Illuminati conspiracy and builds on freemasonry. Well, what's also happening in parallel with this freemasonry is the rise of additional rights. Instead of just your and Scottish right, which are traditional masonry today, you get all these spin off rights, and so you start also seeing competition between Grants and England and other places that are creating their own rights too for nationalistic reasons. So you get the ancient and primitive rights of Memphis and Misriam. You get all of these other rights, and all of them are kind of circulating around and people are participating them. In the eighteen hundreds, people are getting multiple degrees and certificates, and this is the kind of foundation of Masonic ideas floating around that really gives the foundation in which groups like Theosophy, Golden Dawn and the Oto arose. They're all based on these kind of fringe or alternative kinds of freemasonry. And so when you start looking directly at especially the rights of the Golden Dawn and the Oto, they're very Masonic. And if you look at Theosophy, its original structure under Blovatsky was not free Masonic. Well actually it was. It did have three degrees, it had an oath that you had to take, and secrecy. But these were then shifted into the esoteric section, and so masonry is the underlying framework, so much so that under the leadership of Annie Bessett, the second President of the Theosophical Society, they create co Masonry, which is both male and female. And there were types of female freemasonry prior to co Masonry, lodges of adoption in other circumstances. But this is the really the foundation in which all of these rights, all of these organizations, and in many cases occultism arose in Europe and in the United States.
Speaker 4: So when I think of masonry as an outsider, I usually think about it in terms of being secretive and perhaps holding onto hidden wisdom. Is what what is masonry like? What for listeners who aren't familiar with it outside of this sort of that context or the way you see it spoken of on these sort of history channel TV shows. What I know, it's a sort of a fraternal group, But what is it exactly? What are they doing?
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's no one thing. It's it's been a number of things over time. And just to be clear, I am not a Freemason. I've not taken any initiations in freemasonry, although I've read a lot of their material and one of the things that they're very clear about is they claim that they're not a secret society. They claim that they are a society with secrets. And so they want to make a distinction between the fact that being a Mason people are open about it, that the lodges and temples and all of the things that are associated with Masonry are very public, that they don't hide their membership, that they constantly invite the public in. So they're not a secret society in that sense that they're trying to hide their existence or their influence. But they do turn around and say, look, the secrets are an integral part of what bind us together in the ceremonies and the experiences that every Mason has, and again every mason who is a master Mason has gone through that initiatory experience and they all are very similar across the world. And so there's this experiential unity that they have within the organization, and part of that is getting secrets, and those secrets are based on ideas about morality and conduct and serving each other. But if we go back to the beginning of what masonry started as it was much more social. It was a kind of a group of middle class and elite men who would get together and have banquets and parades through town and things like that. By the time you get into the eighteen hundreds, there's a especially in the United States, there's an incident called the Morgan Affair, where there's a guy in New York named Morgan who claims he's going to create a publish a book that has all the Masonic secrets. He disappears and is presumed murdered. And then because of the position of Freemasonry within the society, all the politicians, the judges, the police, everybody's a Freemason. There's all this again suspicion. And then the people who were claimed or are charged with Morgan's murder were not convicted. The jury was full of Masons, etc. Etc. And so there's a big public outcry about it. And this actually leads to the first third party of the United States, the Anti Masonic Party, which arose in the eighteen thirties, and they're first group to create a third party and a platform and to have meetings of that platform which people to get together and have a political convention and so forth, and even the political conventions that we have today every few years with the Democratic Party and the Republican Libertarians and all the other political parties. How they're formatted, what they do, having a platform, getting together the speeches. All that is still based on the format that was created in the eighteen thirties for the Anti Masonic Party. And so the anti Masonic movement arises and pushes back against this kind of influence, and Masonry changes and becomes a much more social and nal environment. The other thing it's doing all along is it is a mutual support organization. There was no social net, there was no insurance, so people would join Freemasonry knowing that if they died that the organization would a pay for their burial and be support their widow and children. This was really important because if the male was the only person who earned money and they died, that would leave the wife and children destitute. And so Freemasonry offered an opportunity to make sure that there was at least the minimal support for their family, and so they would pay dues into this and then through that charity would take care of Masonic burial and so forth. So we could see how this is in shifting priorities, public relations and so forth, and to get to the modern period where now is such a social network people are connecting. They don't need the social net that Freemasonry in many ways is very much in the decline. It's not very popular for young people and is really losing its foundation within the societies of the Western world. I should say that it had over the last few centuries.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting.
Speaker 4: I was wondering if it was maybe gonna bounce back. You see, the sort of like hipster people with their fancy mustaches and big beards, that this is another one of those sort of retro things that seems like it might get some increased cultural cachet just because it's old. You know, I was curious if that would actually happen.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, the future is open for lots of people to enter freemasonry and change it. And that's the point we should keep in mind, is that freemasonry has not been this static organization. It's been dramatically shaped by the generations of men and associated women who have really changed the fabric of the organization. I mean, at the end of the eighteen hundreds, there was a movement to create all of these new rituals for different kinds of freemasonries to make different lines of freemasonry. There's a book called Encyclopedia Freemasonry by a guy named Mackenzie. He documents this proliferation of fringe rights and ritual. It's very, very popular, and there are some scholars who theorize that what's going on here is we're seeing a huge shift from agrarian society to an urban society. What it means in terms of masculinity is in flux, and so many men see freemasonry at the end of the eighteen hundreds as an opportunity to engage in masculine to create a masculine space, to make some kinds of morals and rights and ritual, to redefine what it means to be masculine. And so we see that kind of negotiation happening due to the rise of modernism and the shift to urban environments.
Speaker 4: It's very interesting to me, although I haven't spent as much time actually reading about it or looking into it, despite the way it overlaps with so many of my other sort of fringe topic interests.
Speaker 2: But the.
Speaker 4: Fact that I guess originally it came out of masonry, like in the actual building sense, and then became something quite different over time.
Speaker 2: Is that accurate or is.
Speaker 4: That you're understanding that that's that that that part of the history of this of the group is actually real, that it really did, uh sort of come out of the keeping the knowledge necessary for building.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know that was my say.
Speaker 4: It was like tied into the journeyman, you know, uh idea of like if you're going to learn a trade, you have to keep that trade information within the group so that it doesn't escape.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's real or not, though that's I think.
Speaker 1: I think it in practical sense, it is real if we look back at earlier times than the early modern period, when you have people who who would travel and would claim certain things, including the knowledge to build and and therefore get employment.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So the passwords and so forth was a mechanism by which somebody could enter a place that is new, locate fellow tradesmen, reveal their knowledge with passwords, and then therefore be certified by the local tradesmen that this person is aware of things because they gave certain proofs through their association and their knowledge. So it was more of a certification process in practice in the early times, and it became speculative masonry in the eighteenth century, because you saw the involvement of people who saw the structure as useful but were not interested in the skills per se, but saw the symbolism and so forth as something that they could build upon to make this other kind of organization.
Speaker 4: Rise of the middle class. And that sort of tie in there that's really interesting. So you get masonry, you've got that existing. But then the in my not necessarily directly related sort of thing, we've got this rise of this idea of spiritualism. So yes, it's chronologically related, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, they're happening in parallel. And this is the thing that a lot of there's a lot of balls that get juggling in the air, and you kind of have to see that there are these multiple currents that and this is the term that's often used within the study of esotericism. You get what are called currents, and quite frequently the currents are overlapping or people who are involved with one become interested in another. So you have in one sense this you know, to go back to science, you have Mesmer, who was a German who claimed that there was this universal fluid and that he could influence people and heal them. He finds success for a while in France, he's giving training in this to people, and they end up taking it into other places, including the United States. So you have this one current of what is mesmerism, which turns into hypnotism, mental healing, Christian science, new thought. So that's this one current, and then you have another current of liberal Protestantism and Quakers and other kinds of liberal Protestants who are open to different ways of interacting with the spiritual world. And then you also have within there a subcurrent of Swedenborgianism. I don't know if you're familiar with Emanual Swedenborg. So he was a Swedish engineer. I forget exactly what his trade was, but he was also a mystic and so he ended up having a lot of mystical experiences in which he would travel to other places and interact with the entities that were there, the various angels and so forth, and he founded what is called the New Church. But his writings about kind of his travels to the other world were hugely influential because if we look back at the time of mysticism from the early medieval period, all the way up to the early modern it's not very worldly. You get this kind of vague feelings imagery, but nothing that is described as, you know, just taking a stroll in the park. But that's exactly how Swedenborg talks about the other world. So Swedenborg sets this tradition in which people can go to the other world, and the other world looks a lot like this one, whereas in the various kinds of early and I'll probably mispronounce it the halaka of Judaism, it's the it's kind of based on the Enoch and his chariot, and it's the kind of mysticism that's there that later we get a different kind of Jewish mysticism in Kabbalah, we get various kinds of Christian mysticism, Islamic mysticism, and all of these different kinds of expressions. They're not talking about like what it's like to be in the real world. But Swedenborg is he describes going to different planets, meeting different angels. He describes what they look like, what they're wearing, where they live, what they talk like, what they're interested in. It's it's almost like travel narratives where people and this was something that it was very common. People would take a trip somewhere, maybe somewhere to Asia or in the Pacific or something, and then they would come back and write a book about it and just talk about their travel narratives, what they saw, who they interacted with, what they thought, what they ate and Swedenborg's discussions of the other world were similar. And I mentioned that current because once you get these notions of the ability to interact with the spirit world, once the spirit world becomes a reflection of this world, it sets the stage for Liberal Protestants to adopt spiritualism. This arose in eighteen forty nine with the Fox Sisters in Upstate New York interacting with a ghost supposedly a beggar was buried in the basement of their home, and then they start hearing knockings develop a system of knocking. This is then picked up within their community. In fact, some Quakers are the ones who first heard about the knockings and thought this is a proof of the other world, and therefore set up the exhibitions of it. But from that point spiritualism exploded. And one of the things we also need to keep in mind about spiritualism is that its political influence was that anybody could be a medium. You didn't have to go to training, you didn't have to do seminary, you didn't have to do anything. As a natural phenomenon, people could be mediums and communicate with spirits, and therefore it was very democratizing, open to any person, and in fact, it was very common for women to take on the roles of mediums, and by gender definitions at the time, women were is actually better able to communicate with the spirit world by their own constitution, the way that gender was constructed at that time, they were more by nature open to spirit And so spiritualism becomes this huge influence in the US and then spreads to Europe. It gets combined in different places. By the time it hits France, you get Kardak with Spiritism, so he's adding a free Masonic element, and also some other currents, so you get this big kind of soup. And this is the environment in which theosophy arises.
Speaker 4: Excelly, and I wanted to just point out that as we talked through these topics, I don't think any of these ideas are dead.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of these ideas are still out there. These groups are still active.
Speaker 4: And it's kind of easy to think about these things in a historical context, but a lot of these things still have an impact on things right now.
Speaker 2: I give you a good example, or at.
Speaker 4: Least one I think is very interesting is the movie Ghostbusters. I love the movie Ghostbusters, but Dan Aykroyd his family was heavily involved in spiritualism. It still is, and I think you could draw direct lines from the fact that the Fox sisters had their experiences and started this movement to the fact that we get to enjoy the movie Ghostbusters for those of us who do, because that's really Dan's family. Those stories about spiritualism come right out of his experiences being raised in a family that was actively involved in that.
Speaker 1: Spiritualism is very present today. There are numerous spiritualist churches all throughout the United States. I would say areas in which it's more common than others include the West Coast Florida, New England, but the there's a spiritualist, large spiritualist community in New York lily Dale, New York. And and there's also a huge spiritualist camp in central Florida called Cassadega, And there's multiple other ones throughout the United States. So spiritualism hasn't gone away, and and the ideas in which it participated hasn't gone away. They're very much present. They get combined and and transferred into other things. If you, if your guests have ever watched What is It? Teresa Capudo? The yes, she's a spiritualist through and through. Everything that she does is exactly how the spiritualist mediums began to operate once they moved away from having seance tables and so forth.
Speaker 4: So it ties into the Society for Psychical Research as well.
Speaker 3: So thebr yes, yes, And that's the thing. This is such a huge influence on our society that on our history. The kind of mark notions that these things are marginal. It just does not recognize the breadth and depth of their penetration within our culture. They pop up in ways that you don't expect. Like the first time I saw that Long Island medium show, I thought, oh wow, that's pretty different. Who knew that there was going to be a show about that? And then I find out, well, actually there's dozens of this and it's been going on for a long time.
Speaker 1: And the same thing with the ghost hunting shows. Those kinds of things are very very common. Then they follow the same kind of patterns that we can see in the psychical research that you mentioned.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, And I think when you get into television you get this sort of.
Speaker 2: Issue with.
Speaker 4: It seems like it's had, in my opinion, a negative impact on the scientific interpretation or evaluation of these ideas. So unfortunately, I think it's led to a lot of modern ghost hunting groups effectively just doing what we would call live action role playing versions of ghost hunting instead of actually looking at out this deep history of scientific inquiry into these questions, or if not scientific, as you know, religiously based inquiries.
Speaker 2: But there is a lot more to.
Speaker 4: The history than you know what, I guess the way the Ghost Owner show with the Plumbers sort of started out this sort of reality television interpretation.
Speaker 1: So right, But I think that's interesting that you mentioned that it's the Plumbers, right, because I want to I want to contrast that with the the show that I guess was no longer around, the one that was ghost hunting based on Pen out of Penn State or something like that.
Speaker 2: Paranormal state. Yeah, paranormal state, we can absolutely talk about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the fact that you have plumbers turned ghost investigators, and that series has continued, and I guess I'm under the impression that the original participants have since broken up and now that they have multiple shows or something like that.
Speaker 4: If it's been offs, right, Ghosts International and some other things.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and yet Pen the one based at Penn State has stopped, right, right, So having where people who don't have qualifications institutional association, they're continuing, but those that did didn't make it in the marketplace. And I think there's there's an interesting twist there, right, because if you're actually going to be doing real science, more often than not you're associated with some kind of institution of higher learning or government association or funded a private organization. And that ghost hunting show was associated with that for a while and then was closed down. And then you have on the other side, the do it yourself, self made ghost hunters, which don't have any scientific credentials behind them. They're popular and continuing, and I think that mirrors what's going on in society that they don't want their institutions to be involved in those kinds of topics because they're disreputable, Whereas it's okay for plumbers to go looking at a ghostbuster, I mean ghosts because they're plumbers. What do they know about science.
Speaker 4: The Paranormal State TV show was a college club, so you can start a club just about anything, and the the the Penn State group led by Ryan Ryan Buell, Yeah bus part. You know, he has had some complicated life issues since that show ended, involving drugs and fraud and some other things. So you know, I hope he's getting his life straightened out because that's you know, those things can really be disruptive in your life. But regardless of that, that has that note bearing on whether these things are real or not. I just I feel bad for him because you if you're a student in college and you get onto a TV show, you can get fame and that sort of thing, but there's not I don't think they pay a lot of money to these reality star people. I mean, you know, if you have a good agent, you sort of work some things out. But there was a lot of very questionable things happening on that TV show. And it's one of my at peeves because the their alleged psychic was also involved in a TV show about psychic kids, and it felt very exploitative to me and I just always worry about kids who might be being exploited for you know, entertainment purposes in ways that maybe aren't in their best interests psychologically, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I think there's a long history of children being involved in the in media and having negative results.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And that's that's all the way up to the most you know, reputable you know institutions like a big giant movie corporations who unfortunately put kids into the spotlight and then dump them when they're not cute.
Speaker 2: Anymore, that sort of thing. So there's a lot of things going on here.
Speaker 1: But I don't I don't think that diminishes the point that you had one show that was even if it was nominally associated with institution of higher learning, I would venture to guess that that gave that show some legitimacy. And regardless of it ended because they pulled the plug on the club or because the main protagonist had a personal issues, it doesn't change the fact that there isn't any other organization that is jumping at being on those shows. It's really an issue of perception of marginalization and so forth. And while it's widely common and if you go and stop a dozen people on the street and ask them if they believe in ghosts, believe in the ability to talk to spirits and the dead. I would say the majority of them would say yes. The fact is, though, that institutions want to appear scientific, they want to have that kind of method behind what they do. And as much as these individuals want to claim that there's a scientific basis, everything they're doing is logical, but it's based or founded all on an illogical or a non provable basis. And that's the interesting thing. I mean, you can follow logic of all of these different groups, but they're always starting from a point in which there's no logic, there's no proof. You either just have to take it as faith or some kind of assertion from a higher power or transcendent source. And that's the same thing that's happening with Theosophy and the Golden Dawn and so forth. They even to the Oto with Crowley and his revelations. At some core starting point. In the case of Theosophy, you have the masters, so you have the claim that there are these Hamalian masters living out in Tibet that are connected to this larger tradition of ancient wisdom going back to the past, and that they and two of them have decided that they're going to help this group of people bring this ancient wisdom to the forefront of society. In doing so, they build this huge structure of knowledge and understanding and claims about the world and interaction between Eastern and Western religion and all of this. And you know, they do it in a very systematic way that looks very scientific, but it's all based on this foundation of revelation from higher power, in this case the Masters, and the same thing with the Golden Dawn. You get a lot of claims about knowledge and logical proceedings through different understandings of symbolism and so forth, but it's all predicated on this kind of founding myth and that Egyptian magic was real and that Freemasonry has a secret and all of these assertions and claims that cannot be proven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's very hard to get anybody to start with the null hypothesis, right, Yeah, that's it's not as interesting I think maybe for TV shows, but that there's the other problem is that I think people look at these TV shows and perceive them as being legitimate scientific inquiry now, not within my circle of friends, you know, you know, but but it's common. I've run into people all the time who think that these ghost TV shows are doing science. And I think Sharon Hill, one of my colleagues and friends, says, she calls it sounding science the right where they seem like they sort of put on the trappings of science, but they're not actually executing a scientific thing exactly right.
Speaker 1: Here they have all this equipment and they can document things, and they're acquiring proof proof of what I mean. They're they're definitely employing the rhetoric of science, the appearance of science, but they're they're basing it on things that can't be proven. And this was always what I thought was strange about the end goal. So, okay, the science, the show caught a ghost on tape. It appears some anomalist thing happened. Okay, And so then they go to the group or the people or the location owner and say this is what we got. Say, look, this anomaly happened and it's on tape, and they're like, okay, then what nothing. The show's over and they go on and do it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, So there's never any build on that, right, So that's not what science is doing. There's no culmination of the evidence, analysis, publishing, presenting, and then having other people examine the evidence and debating them, trying to replicate things. None of that happens. They're just like, oh, look what we got on tape, isn't that spooky? Okay, next show?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think there's a flaw there, right right.
Speaker 1: Because they don't they're not interested in actually following through they and they're also being kind of sloppy in the fact that they're just saying, well, here's the evidence. You know, you can draw your own conclusions. Again, that's not what scientists do. They draw conclusions. They get They lay out why they're doing it and what their ideas behind it, and what their theories are and how they're testing those theories. And it's all right. They're plain and simple so that people can try to replicate it or not. And if it's not replicable, then you know, it's questionable on whether it's actually true.
Speaker 4: Yes, and it is a pet peeve that we I guess we've revisited here many times, but it bears repeating, so i'd perfect, you know, I absolutely support the serious scientific inquiry into these matters, and there are a few places where that still happens, but it's rare, and I think part of that is because there's been such extensive research without real results, but most people don't know about that work, and I think that's why I think it's important that the SPR and those sort of groups, and CSI and these American skeptic groups and the European skeptic groups.
Speaker 2: I think it's good that they continue to do these.
Speaker 4: Inquiries in question because these are questions, amazingly that I think most people believe have been sufficiently answered by religion. I think most people believe in the continued existence of human consciousness or a soul or something like that, and the fact that science doesn't.
Speaker 2: Support that or hasn't been able to.
Speaker 4: Prove it doesn't really have an impact on whether or not people believe it. And you know that this show Monster Talk is not really about proving that or not proving that, but it is. I think we are more interested in how does one and conduct these inquiries and the histories of these inquiries, which kind of brings us back to the rise of these other groups outside of the spiritualist movement and the SPR.
Speaker 1: And if I could just make one more comment about this that sure goes the other way though. Okay, So in twenty eleven, there was a journal called the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology and they were okay with publishing a paper that was looking at ESP and it went through all the proper channels of peer review and testing, and basically the paper was arguing that there was a statistical anomaly or statistical reason to think that there was something paranormal going on that could not be explained.
Speaker 4: Is this the one with the computer test where they were statistically getting more hits it seemed like there might.
Speaker 2: Have been some sort of precognitions or thing going on.
Speaker 1: No, it's there was a professor I think his name was m or something like that, and he was testing Yeah, yeah, yeah, he was testing whether students could accurately sense random events maybe it might be like the computer doing something. And he did multiple experiments and I guess the results were what he claimed. And so it went through peer review and it was going to be published, and people responded saying it should not be published like that. The fact that it's about ESP in the first place should have precluded it being published, regardless of what the data was regardless of the methodology, and that to me again is wrong because that is against what the point of science is about. Maybe Bem's conclusions were false, maybe his experiments were flawed, and therefore it gave results that were inaccurate. But it went through the peer review process, he made his argument, and it was going to be published, and then it created this big hooplaw, and I saw people complaining about, well, this is the failure of peer review, that it should never be published, and then some people saying, well, it should be published, analyzed, attempted to be replicated, and then evaluated on that. That's the position that I think is the real scientific one, because if you've already excluding things because of just their nature, right.
Speaker 4: In a priory, I don't just I disagree with the premise, therefore don't do the work right.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, And that to me is more of an ideological and kind of almost in some sense a scientism, a religion of science saying you know, we don't do that. That's that's the wrong direction for me.
Speaker 4: So that's really interesting because I think one of the problems I have, well not me in particular, but it is a scientism is a real issue and then having a preconceived notion you're biased against these things, don't even bother doing any experiments.
Speaker 2: That's where thing.
Speaker 4: There have been lots and lots of experiments. But my personal view, this is me, not the.
Speaker 2: Skeptic Society or Skeptic Magazin or that other stuff. You know.
Speaker 4: I do this show independently, but you know my view is, if you can get the funding together, do the experiments.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I think there's nothing wrong with doing these questions. But there's many people who I agree, have come to the conclusion these things aren't real and therefore why bother?
Speaker 2: But I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't care for that myself. I agree the scientism problem is real. I am a big cheerleader and fan of science and the scientific method. But I also agree that if you are not willing to apply these to these questions, then you're not really doing a good service I think, and I'm not sure I worded that very well, but my point is there are real issues with science when you're questioning things that are paranormal. So, for example, if you look at the idea of Popper's faults of fiability, you know, in a real sense, science is a filter and if one of your criteria is that it be reproducible, and you know other people can do the same experiment and get the same results. There's many aspects to alleged paranormal phenomena that don't lend themselves to reproducibility. You know, if you're trying to test a ghost case, you know, unless you're doing something like the Stone tape, where you know the idea that it's going to be reproduced at the same place at the same time and anybody can come in and see it, most of the time you're looking at really irregular phenomena and interpreting it in a spiritual context or a paranormal context, and it's really hard to get those things to be reproducible. And I think that's it's it's the filter of science in some sense can can be it can preclude a positive result because of the nature of the way the experiments have to be put together.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's an important place to begin our discussion of Theosophy and the Golden Dawn and the Oto, because these groups are talking about magic and certain kind of paranormal or supernatural or transcendent things that they claim are scientifically provable and This is the important thing about occultism. Occultism arose in this context of science at the end of the nineteenth century, and that they said that they were using the scientific method to prove a cult phenomenon. And now we remember we need to the word a cult just literally means hidden. Occultism arose in the eighteen seventies as a result of all of these different ideas and esoteric currents coming together in a context of science, and then the appearance the rhetoric and even sometimes the performance of scientific experimentation resulted in claims of occult nature. So within theosophy, there was a series of experiments done by leadbeater and anti bescent that they called occult chemistry, and using their clairvoyant powers, they claimed to be able to go and look at all of the different atoms and talk about that their occult structures in the astrail plane. And they used diagrams, they used tables and charts, and over time these kinds of representations started to have color, started to have all of the kinds of trappings of science, and therefore it became provable to people. And it is still the rhetoric, right, And then would say, well, then how do we understand what these claims of clairvoyance and astral projection and astral objects, what is that based on? They turn around and they would use vibrations, and then they would show or acclaimed make various comparisons between what they're experiencing and legitimate scientific experiments with vibrations and waves and things like that. So there was this attempt in occultism to use the rhetoric in appearance of science, but to gut and cut out the epistemology. How things were known was not objective. You had to have clairvoyant powers or you had to be trained or initiated. And that's the subtle difference in what we can see with occultism in this time period.
Speaker 2: So can you unpack that a little bit?
Speaker 1: So when I'm using the term epistemology, this simply means how do we know something is real or is knowledge? How do we know it's true? So within the scientific method, we have notions of objectivity, observability, independence, and therefore anybody can approach it. This epistemology is removed in occultism and replaced with one that first of all, claims that there's a spiritual level to materiality and This is being brought back from the kind of notions of what the world was before the arising of science, instead that there was this connection between the divine and the material world. So that epistemology said is that there's a continuity of being from the celestial to the terrestrial. This is coming out of kind of notions of Emanation and Plato, and so this notion of reality is reinstituted. And then how is that information accessible. It's accessible only to a few trained elite those who are either chosen by a divine source or naturally have some kind of access. So they're either naturally clairvoyant, or they're under the training of some initiated master or somebody of higher knowledge who then authorizes them to practice the magic. And so that's what we see in Theosophy and the Golden Down, and continuing into with crally coming out of the Golden Down and going into the Oto. So the basis in which all of those organizations are working on are claims of science, but the science that they understand is one that has a different epistemological base of spiritual materialism.
Speaker 4: Interesting, and we will break here and then look at the underpinnings of all that and part two of this interview sounds great.
Speaker 1: Look forward to continuing the conversation.
Speaker 4: Monsut you've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith, and today you heard part one of my conversations with John crow about the rise of Western esotericism in the nineteenth century. This is leading to the story of the secretive Magical Orders and the man who some called the Great Beast, Alister Crowley. We'll hear more about that soon. Monster Talks an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The views expressed here are those of myself and my guests and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society.
Speaker 5: We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org forge slash support. That's monster talk dot org forge slash support. There we have links to our Patreon pages as well as a donation button. A great way to support the show is to buy us books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love usbooks very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love Kindle and we can share our digital library with each other. Finally, without spending any money at all. You can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find new listeners. And please share our show on your favorite social media platforms.
Speaker 4: Monster Talk theme music is by peat Steele Monkeys. Thanks again for listening.
Speaker 2: Did you know that you can now subscribe to Skeptic Magazine digitally?
Speaker 1: Just grab our free Skeptic Magazine app currently compatible with iOS, Android, PC, mac, Kindlefire, Kindlefire HD, and BlackBerry Playbook. Head over to skeptic dot com Slash magazines to find out more and download more of your favorite Skeptic content.