Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand Love.
Speaker 2: AM radio talk radio streaming of course now through the iHeartRadio app. You can leave a recorded comment there. You can give me a call if you feel strongly about anything you've heard over the past hour. So one eight hundred five two oh one five three four you heard from the news from Eileen Gonzalez and others. Pope Francis remains in critical condition today in the hospital in Rome. Blood test show early kidney failure, but the story is that he remains alert and quote well oriented and even attended Mass today.
Speaker 3: He's eighty eight years old.
Speaker 2: He's battling pneumonia and what's been described as a complex lung infection. He's been Pope since twenty thirteen. And to talk more about this, we're joined on the phone by Tom Gibbons.
Speaker 3: Father.
Speaker 2: Tom Gibbons is the vice president of Polished Productions, which is a Catholic media company here in Los Angeles and also serves at Saint Paul the Apostle Catholic Church in Westwood. And I believe we have a good mutual friend. Father, Thanks for coming on with us, Oh.
Speaker 4: Great, thanks for having me. Phil appreciate it.
Speaker 2: So what are you hearing sort of on the inside, if you will, beyond what we already know about the pope's condition anything.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, I think what I've been talking with some friends in Rome, and I think everyone is just kind of like an a wait and see.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: One of the things that we know about this pope is he's very very strong willed. It doesn't surprise me that he's still alert as he's going through all this. He's always been a pope who's had a lot of things to do and wanted to get a lot of things done. So but you know, I also know this is a pope is a very very spiritual man. Of course he is because he's the Pope. But you know, I think he's also someone who is a man of deep prayer and is also just open to whatever happens, you know, and whatever is god God's will for him. So I think he's been aware that he's been sick over the last couple of months.
Speaker 4: He's been he.
Speaker 5: Promoted, he extended the term of his dean that would that would be the person that should put France's past, would manage the College of Cardinals in any conclave. So I think he intends to. I think it's this, it's this like halfway space between. He intends to keep on going, and he's also open to God's.
Speaker 4: Will, whatever God's will is.
Speaker 5: And I think that's kind of the balance that I think we're all kind of living in.
Speaker 3: Right right right.
Speaker 2: One point four billion Catholics in the world. The United States has three hundred and forty one million in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, which includes La of Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties.
Speaker 3: I believes the largest in the in the world with fin million men.
Speaker 4: I believe that's correct.
Speaker 2: Yes, So everybody here in Southern California that's a member of the archdiocese, and of course beyond that, is paying close attention to this. I mean, what impact does a pope have on the day to day life of Catholics here in southern California.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean the pope is is somebody who I think what the one of the main impacts that any pope has is that wherever we're from, it reminds us that we are part of this parish family, whatever our parish would belong to, UH are our bishop, our archbishop Gomez reminds us that we're part of this larger archdiocesan family, and the Pope reminds us that we're part of this larger world family.
Speaker 4: You know that he's the figure, you.
Speaker 5: Know, as Archbishop Gomez is our as our like kind of father figure here in Los Angeles, like you know, the pope is. You know, you go to to poland there's a picture of the Pope, you go to a church in Africa, there's a picture of the pope, Like it reminds us, you know, that the Catholic Church really is. You know, the word Catholic means universal, and I think the pope is whomever the pope is really reminds us of that, and especially particularly this pope, because this pope was, as we all know, was the first pope from the Western hemisphere, you know, or from the America. So I think it's also that he serves as yet another reminder of that universality of the church.
Speaker 2: Now, I believe his predecessor was the first pope in like hundreds of years who actually resigned due to advanced age and health reasons. I mean, would it be appropriate at some point to expect a resignation of someone is in such poor health or that's really not a discussion for right now, I you.
Speaker 4: Know what I mean. I think it's it's a fair question.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's funny because before Pope Benedict, that's not a question anybody would have been asking. But you know, I know that question has come up, and so I think, you know, I mean, what we everything we are hearing, uh from a prod about Pro Francis's condition is that he is absolutely is enduring many serious physical element ailments.
Speaker 4: But mentally he is still there.
Speaker 5: And I'm not suggesting that Benedict was not there when he resigned. He was, you know, he was fully a lot and I think he he made his decision for different reasons.
Speaker 4: So I think it's something.
Speaker 5: My guess is you know that it's something Pop Francis might be open to, but I think it's I also kind of know that he's someone who likes to keep going.
Speaker 3: So he's in a wheelchair.
Speaker 4: Did this and he's in He had.
Speaker 2: A great quoto. Did you see this? The church is governed using the head and the heart, not the legs.
Speaker 5: That's a very po Francis thing to say. And one of the reasons Pope Francis went into a wheelchair is because for a very long time he had been suffering from sciatica, so in many ways that like his current lung issues have been a problem, but it's really been and he started doing wheelchair just to kind of ease off his back a little bit in many ways, so we could kind of not think about it back so much so he could keep on doing the work that he's been doing in the Vatican.
Speaker 3: Well, we of course hope that he recovers.
Speaker 2: But you mentioned the term Conclave, which is particularly timely today because today is the Screen Actors Guild Awards. The movie Conclave is up for an award as his Ray Fines the star of Conclave, and that movie most recently gave so much of those who saw it a real insight into the role of selecting a new pope. I'm read that it was very historically accurate, although the movie itself was somewhat controversial. Did you do you mind if I ask you to just see that movie and what did you think of it?
Speaker 4: I did see the movie.
Speaker 5: You know, it's kind of like living in la you're kind of like you want to you know, sometimes we see stories in the news and we think it's part of like an Oscar campaign.
Speaker 4: And I.
Speaker 5: Don't know everything that's going on in the Vatican, but I feel very confident in saying that what's going on in the back again has nothing to do with an Oscar campaign for cockpway.
Speaker 2: No I know, was that was that a Was that an accurate movie about the process?
Speaker 5: I think there is a lot about the movie that is pretty accurate. They bring in all the cardinals, you know, how they are sequestered. I think one of the I think there was kind of like a moment and there's like one scene where I think there is a question as to whether Ralph race Finds character broke the seal of confession, and I don't think that would have happened. But I think that, you know, there's usually you know, we like to think that there's not a lot of politicking, but you know, sometimes there is, and so I think it's and it was also like a great representation of bringing in everyone together. So have I ever, I think they got a lot wrong.
Speaker 3: I think they got the opportunity to meet the Pope.
Speaker 4: I did I did?
Speaker 3: What did you say to him?
Speaker 4: It was it was pretty amazing.
Speaker 5: In twenty eighteen, Oscar Romero was being candidized in our production company. Paul's Productions had originally done the film Romero in nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 4: Starring Rold Julia.
Speaker 5: So I had the opportunity during Romero's canonization to present a DVD of the film Romero to the Pope.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: And you know, I think when people go to Italy, it's like that's kind of one of their their main things.
Speaker 4: They want to meet the Pope.
Speaker 5: And I kind of knew somebody who was able to kind of slip me in and it was just a really special, you know, experience. And I think and everybody, almost everybody who says this, who meets the pipe, says, you know, at.
Speaker 4: Some point the Pope will say to the person, and he did say to me, pray for me.
Speaker 5: And I think that's you know, because I think, you know that the Pope is somebody.
Speaker 4: Who the Bishop of Rome, he's the weight of.
Speaker 5: His world, the weight of the world on his shoulders, and he's also aware of how much he needs and we all need God's.
Speaker 4: Help for that.
Speaker 5: So I think it's I'm sure like those words are very true today. Is you know, the Pope is always encouraging us to pray for one another, and you know, I am so grateful that how many people are praying for the Pope today, particularly in is a physical situation.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much for talking with me.
Speaker 2: Father Tom Gibbons from Paula's Productions in Saint paul the Apostle Catholic Church in Westward, a beautiful church.
Speaker 3: I've been there. Love to talk to you off the air.
Speaker 2: I got a great joke which I think you'll like, about growing up in a mixed marriage. And also, do you know the name Rabbi Harold Kushner?
Speaker 3: By any chance, I am aware of that.
Speaker 2: Rabbi Harold Kushner was a rabbi of my temple growing up in Natick, Massachusetts, and after a personal tragedy, wrote the book the international best seller called When Bad Things Happen to Good People, which was sort of an ex explanation about how you can believe in God and yet tragedies, whether it's the loss of a child or something else or a fire, can how you can justify that?
Speaker 5: And I read that book and I love that book.
Speaker 2: Very power non you know, for people of all religions right right, and had quite an impact on me growing up as a youngster in Hebrew School and then Hebrew High School.
Speaker 3: Rabbit Harold Kushner.
Speaker 2: So if people are out there are struggling with any issues, when bad things happen to good people, definitely help well.
Speaker 3: One of the good people, Tom Gibbons.
Speaker 2: Very nice to meet you on the phone, and look forward to talking to you again in the future.
Speaker 4: Great, look forward to talking to you. Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI A M six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: There's so much going on in southern California every day that it's just sometimes overwhelming, right. I mean just the things we've talked about here, the Pope, safety, I mean, the fires, the fire chief, the mayor, the governor. I mean, this is a Sunday afternoon, just another another day, right, and it's filled with interesting characters and politics aside. Okay, politics aside, which is a big aside. One of the most interesting characters that we've come across in recent years is Elon Musk.
Speaker 3: We're gonna talk more about that in just a minute. But I am.
Speaker 2: Told that we've had some listeners who have actually left us some messages on the art iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Right, let's listen to one of them.
Speaker 6: So it's always wonderful when you are on. I appreciate you, but I wanted to add another category to news junkies. It's people who like me who just listen at the ear I stay up on everything, but I don't write emotionally control me and I listen to all side.
Speaker 3: Well, that was great.
Speaker 2: That was when I was talking earlier about sort of three broad categories of people news junkies that pay attention to everything, and then there's the complete opposite, which are people that just tune out because that's too overwhelming, and then sort of in the middle or people might have like a special interests. So I appreciate that. Let's listen to one more and then we're going to go back to ELNG.
Speaker 7: How is it that the mayor of la was the only person in the city, county, state, or the nation that did not hear about the extreme danger to wildfires in southern California that were about to hit us? Was she busy packing her bags for her trip to Africa?
Speaker 2: So that is a great, great comment. So my friend and colleague Alex Michaelson, who's the anchor on Fox eleven News, who's a frequent guest here on KFI, he did an interview with Mayor Bass earlier in this week, and in the interview, which was her first extended sit down interview with a TV reporter since since the fires, she basically said that she was unaware of the extreme nature of the fire threat and the wind threat, even though her own ex slash Twitter account was tweeting out like specific warnings about that and everybody knew about it. But her contention is that in the past, the fire chief has actually called her personally to alert or to the severity of the threat, and this time that didn't happen. So that was to me a really just hard to believe and hard to believe that she would even say that and expect people to accept that it faced value definitely a mark against her in her critique of her leadership since the fires. So back in two thousand and nineteen for Fox Livenus, I'm in federal court. Elon Musk was on trial a defamation suit. Do you remember the story about the young boys that were trapped in a cave in Thailand in June of twenty eighteen, and Musk was one of those involved in the rescue attempts and he was accused of defaming a British expert by using a slur which I don't necessarily have to repeat, but he actually was in federal court and we're all waiting outside on the sidewalk, I think on Temple or First Street in downtown Los Angeles, trying to get a shot of Elon right, because you can't go into the courtroom, and you can't even go onto the property with cameras outside Federal Court and down in all federal courts. So we're all on the sidewalk and this tesla pulls up right, this blacked out windows tesla pulls up in the front, and we're all like, oh, there's Elon's gaining A couple of bodyguard looking dudes get out with the sunglasses and the suits and everything, and we're waiting for Elon to get out. We're waiting for you Lon to get out. We're waiting for you Lin to get out. He never gets out, only for all of us losers in the media to realize that it was a diversion and that Elon had been dropped off around the block and came in with a huge group of bodyguards on foot and behind us, all while we were distracted by the tesla that pulled up in front my brief Elon story, and then in court we're allowed to go in court as observers, not with the cameras, And I remember thinking to myself, this guy is really a piece of work. He wouldn't answer one question straight. Are you a wealthy man? Well, it depends on what your definition of wealth is. Well, how much money do you have? Well it depends you know, money is relative.
Speaker 3: I mean, go on.
Speaker 2: Whatever question the lawyers would ask him, he would never give a clear answer. This is the plaintiff's attorneys. He ended up winning that case. He was not found responsible for defaming that that British expert. But I've always kind of kept track of Elon, and of course now as the co president, he's really interesting. And you know, nobody questions the validity or the merits. I shouldn't say nobody, but few people would question the merits of trying to eliminate waste and fraud from government expenditures.
Speaker 3: But I just every day it's like, really, So.
Speaker 2: He sends out the request to all federal employees send an email with five things that you accomplished this week. I think the deadline to send that email in is tonight. Failure to send the email will be considered a resignation. So then, just to make things more confusing, the FBI and the entire Department of Justice apparently is saying to its employees.
Speaker 3: Just ignore that, you know, don't worry about it. So who's running the store here?
Speaker 2: I mean, do we have like a well fought out organized effort to trim waste and fraud and excessive expenditure in the federal government? Or is Elon just sort of making things up as he goes along? And President Trump may or not be aware of it. He's firing all the generals at the PENT I mean, it's just on the national.
Speaker 3: Federal level, it just filters down.
Speaker 2: Like you wonder, it's the same questions we've been asking the state local level. It's like who's in charge? Like where does the bucks stop? Does anybody actually have like a coherent strategy here? Or they sort of making it up as they go along. It's not very reassuring. All Right, we're gonna take a break. When we come back, we're gonna get back to the fire coverage with James Rainey from the La Times.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand, Happy.
Speaker 2: To be joined right now by a veteran LA Times reporter, Award winning writer and reporter, James Rainey. Jim, thanks for coming on with us to talk about Malibu and the fires and the coverage by the LA Times.
Speaker 4: My pleasure are great to be here.
Speaker 3: I appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: On January twelfth, you wrote of such a powerful piece I believe it was called My Elusive Malibu Life, in which you wrote about going back back to Malibu to see if your family home of fifty years I believe, had survived the fire.
Speaker 3: And it was so well written and so emotional.
Speaker 2: What do you remember if people haven't read that, share a little bit about what that process was like and what that peace was like.
Speaker 4: If you would, Yeah, well, thanks so much for saying that, Phil, I really appreciate that, it would say. I mean, you know this. You've been a reporter I think here as long in southern California as I have, and sometimes the stories get really personal. So on that day, we had had a strange experience because I now live on the east end of the city. I live in the Pasadena area, and we had a bunch of people evacuate to our house. The first night of the fires all coming from the Altadena fire, and one of those families ended up losing the house. I spent the whole first morning up early and ran out to the scene of the Altadena fire and was just sort of rushing around doing what we do, talking to fire victims in Altadena. And it was and I realized that given where our family home was up this canyon in Malibu, that it also was threatened. So in the back of my mind this whole time, as I'm talking to other folks about the loss of their houses, I kind of realized that we were under threat with this house. And you know, we've been through so many fires out there. When we moved in there, I was a kid. I was ten years old and lived there until I went away to college, and so you know, this is an incredible place to grow up. Right, We're less than half a mile from the beach, up a canyon, ocean view, pretty idyllic, and we had dodged i'd say at least a dozen wildfires, really serious ones, over the course of I mean it's hard to believe now half a century, and in fact, the ninety three fires, my parents were sure that their house had burned down and I was able to go up there with my press pass and find that it hadn't, so this time I went up there. Going up pch you've probably been up there. It's something that most of your listeners haven't seen yet, but they will eventually. And it's pretty shocking once you get past the Panga Canyon headed up Highway one, and as I got closer and closer to Carbon Canyon, which is where our family houses, I had a pretty sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that our luck had run out. And sure enough, went around the big band right before where our house has been. It was built in the forties, and you could see what now in a lot of these neighborhoods looked more like tombstones. But those were the two chimneys. We had two fireplaces in the house. Saw the two chimneys and didn't see much else. So it was I mean, it was on the one hand, given the level of destruction, it wasn't surprising at all, But when you've been around the house for almost fifty six years, you kind of expected always to be there, So it was pretty shocking.
Speaker 2: To talk with James Rainey, veteran reporter from the LA Times, part of a team that's been doing great coverage since January seventh. Did you know right away that you wanted to write about it? Did you wrestle with it because it was so personal and so emotional?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I just I feel like it's such a privilege what we do as journalists to get to tell these stories, and usually it's telling other people's stories. But part of what felt important to me was that, I mean, I grew up there, and look, you know, I will claim the privilege that I had as a young person to grow up in that area, but it's not You've been around La long enough to know these places aren't always exactly the stereotype, right. So Malibu, yes has the rich and famous, but it also has working class people. In fact, the guy, only guy I quoted in that story was a guy I've known out there named Bill Stang. I've known Billy Stang since we were, you know, teenagers, and this guy serfs and he's in the building trades and he's just an incredible guy who understands the kind of tides and the winds. And what Bill always talks about is old world Malibu, Old world Malibu. I love that expression, and that's the world of people like him. His dad was an LA County lifeguard, but back in the day in the nineteen sixties, as an LA County lifeguard, he could afford a house in Malibu. And my dad was in the business. He was a character actor, but you know, he wasn't a famous one. And that house they bought in the sixty thousand, it was less than seven twenty thousand dollars. And so there's this whole other side of especially longtime residents who are they're kind of from a different world. They're more middle class or slightly upper middle class. And I really felt that was something that I knew in my gut that I could capture that most reporters, especially younger ones, wouldn't have any way of understanding or knowing about. So that's why I felt I'm going to go ahead and write about this.
Speaker 3: Well, you certainly did it.
Speaker 2: And you know, one of the things I've been talking about here for the past couple of hours is the role at the LA Times and other news organizations. But to be honest, mainly the LA Times has played in holding officials accountable and trying to really examine why the devastation was so widespread. I mean, Karen Basson announcing the firing of the fire chief said, as we all know, there were a thousand firefighters that were not held over and their morning shift.
Speaker 3: And it's like not as we all know.
Speaker 2: It's because as a result of reporting that the La Times has done, and in a time when President Trump labeled the news media as fake news, it was insulting and it just reminds us of the importance of local news. I mean, the TV stations were on around the clock, the radio stations were on around the clock, the LA Times and other print journalists, and of course now it's all on the web as well. I mean, this is an important work that we all do, and it hurts when when we're insulted and labeled as fake news. So I just wanted to give ourselves a collective pat on the back. Not that we need to be thanked for what we do, but you mentioned it, and I agree with it. It is a privilege to tell people stories, and in your case, you got to tell your own story.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Now, I'm really glad you're saying that. And you know we've been in the I used to be the as you remember, Phil, I used to be the media writer. So I covered others for years and I had a column about the media. And one of the things that has been going on for decades now is there has been a concerted effort to demean and to dem to demonize the mainstream press. And here's the thing that's crazy about that is the vast majority of what we write is not ideological, you know, whether the fire truck showed up or not. And we're pre deployed as we learned, as you said, thanks to the La Times, they were not Is that a left wing position, Is that a right wing position? No, it's a it's a common sense.
Speaker 3: It happen.
Speaker 4: It's a fact, and it's a fact. And I appreciate you crediting my colleagues because you know, we are definitely not the size and the we're not as formable Times as we used to be, but we still are by far the most important news organization in LA and frankly you know west of the Potomac. I mean, we are still a substantial organization. And as much as there are great reporters in medium TV and radio, they most of them don't have the heft to do what we do. They also aren't willing to go to court to get public records. So usually, and you know, luckily we have some veterans in TV and radio like you who can do their own reporting. But a lot of times you and I know it's rip and read where you will pick up the La Times in the morning, at every radio station and TV station in LA.
Speaker 3: Don't credit you for it.
Speaker 4: No, and often I you know, God bless them. I hear my daughter now works at LAist Radio and she's a great young reporter there. But I also note that I hear LAist reporting news that was first reported in the La Times. And it's true of every outlet in LA anyone who's honest that those outlets will admit it. And you know, if the La Times gets diminished, every news outlet in southern California is diminished. So it's really important. I can't emphasize enough if people want that kind of reporting, like is going to tell you up to the minute what is happening, and then afterwards explore the causes of the fire. Why wasn't there water, why weren't the engines pre deployed? We had detailed maps of where the destruction was, you know, all sorts of We've had what we call tiktoks in the business of minute by minute where were people in the escape during the escape and what was going right and wrong? Nobody else is doing that. And you know, it's sixty bucks a year I think now for a digital subscription.
Speaker 3: So yeah, like a couple of tips of Starbucks.
Speaker 2: I think the promotional rate, because I actually checked it this morning when I knew I was going to be talking to you, I think the promotional rate, believe it or not, for the first month is four dollars. I think we can I think we can handle that. We have to support we have to support local journalism. James Rainey from the La Times. We're up against the break. But I really appreciate you, appreciate you coming on and thanks for what you and your colleagues continue to do every day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right back at you, Phil, I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: You might consider me a little bit biased in favor of what we do, but you do have to support local journalism, whether it's just listening on the free KFI iHeartRadio app, whether it's subscribing to the La Times, the New York Times, one of the many local websites LA Current Value Current's a good one, or just going to free news aggregators, pay attention, be informed, be educated. If you're listening to us here on KFI, I don't have to tell you that because you already are doing your part or trying to stay current and try to stay involved. As I mentioned, we're getting some comments on the iHeartRadio app, which I greatly appreciate. Let's listen to another one of them.
Speaker 8: Phil, I don't need several news outlets. All I need is KFI and Fox Channel eleven in sun California. That's all I need. I look into MSN on the internet every now and then to see what the left wing lunatics have to say. But anyway, KFI and Fox News, is it okay?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: That was interesting. Left wing lunatics might be a little extreme. And what's what's also interesting about Fox eleven News And we talked about this a little bit before. Fox eleven News is a station that is owned and operated by Fox, which is the parent company, but it's an independently run local television station. Like Channel four, like Channel five, like Channel two, Slash nine, like Channel seven. They all have corporate parents. So Fox News, the cable network, of course, by most accounts, would be described as right wing conservative. That's not Fox eleven News. A lot of people confuse the two, conflate the two. I mean, we do have the same corporate parent, we have a similar logo, we have the word Fox in our name. But I can't tell you how many times where I've been out on a story with Fox eleven News and people who are say left of center accuse us of, you know, being Fox News and don't want to talk to us. Okay, that's your right, that's certainly your opinion. But just to be clear, Fox eleven News, and this gentleman did a little bit of that at the end of his comment, Fox eleven News is separate and distinct from Fox News. All right, that's our quick media lesson for today. All right, So coming up at four o'clock if you're a regular listener on the weekends here on KFI, before doctor Wendy, who I really want to speak to you more about learning the Lessons of Love off the air, But Chris Merrill is coming up at four o'clock, and Chris, is he with us on the phone?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right now, No, not even on the phone. I'm just like basically a studio.
Speaker 2: Oh you're in the studio in a different studio. I can't physically see you, right, but I feel like we're friends even though we've never met. We've never met in person, but I listen and I really enjoy you on the radio. And so I don't know if you've got a chance to listen to much of what we've been talking about here the past couple of hours, but a lot of defense of the local news against President Trump labeling us as quote fake news, and the importance of what we do on the radio, in the newspaper on TV, especially in the light of what we've been going through here in southern California since since January seventh.
Speaker 9: I know you're a part of all that. Yeah, and I'm so glad that you did that too, And you try to draw that distinction. And it's a message that we just can't say enough times. But it doesn't help either that you know, you have some some accolytes who who will use their their local you know, call letters or network affiliation in order to boost their own stature within a part twoicular party or in right right, and and the best example I have of that is I was doing a lot of work in Arizona. And of course Carrie Lake is a former Fox anchor, Okay, and I you know, she kind of tried to use that in parlay it. And and I don't think that the Fox affiliate there really wanted to dissuade anyone from leaning into that. I think they felt like it was good. You know, they had a few other very conservative hosts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a delicate situation though, right, Yeah, I sort of balance that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And I know that I've sat in the meetings for NBC News Radio a number of times, and I can't tell you how many times they go through laboriously to try to make sure that their presentation walks the line don't go too far this way, don't go too far that way. And and you know, listening to the heads of that you know, that group that will they're not scrutinizing the reporters so much as they're trying to teach the reporters. When you approach a story, do it in this manner, you know, make sure you're using the language that doesn't key into certain.
Speaker 2: Because so many people feel now reporters have some kind of an agenda local news reporters, Yes, and and you know our agenda is just do a good job and tell a fair story. Now, now, I'm not Sean Hannity, right, I'm not Chris Cuomo, I'm not Bill O'Reilly with a point of views as a commentator now here, it's been interesting, Chris, because you'll appreciate this because as a as a news reporter, which I've been my career, I'm not really you're not really you're not really sharing your opinions. But here on talk radio, oh that's all we do. We they want your opinions. So it's been an interesting learning experience, a little bit out of my comfort zone because I got plenty of opinions, believe me. But it's it's been a fun challenge, right because people do you know you you do have your own opinions and you have to work to keep them out of your news coverage. But when you're coming on the role as a talk show host, it's a little bit of a different ballgame, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 9: In fact, I know that that's a tough one for for people like you or others who are are sort of walking that line and you're and you're maintaining your credibility and your neutrality, and then you walk into this uh space, and all of a sudden, it's a different ballgame. And sometimes it can be a little bit delicate for someone like you, because what you don't want is for someone to be listening and go, well, I heard Phil say this on KFI. So when he's doing that story, I know he doesn't feel that way.
Speaker 2: Right because he's already has you know, his own We already know what he thinks about, you know, the mayor or the fire chief or the fire Yeah.
Speaker 9: I thought you did a nice job by saying, you know, there certainly are some un answered questions. I find that to be when you were talking about Bass. You know, I find that to be a bit incredible that she would say that, and you know that she wouldn't know what the weather is, right, which.
Speaker 3: I'll get into here to start. Yeah, so what do you what do you have coming up on you on your you know, I'm gonna talk about that.
Speaker 9: I don't talk about you know, the fire department is responding and they're they're basically, you know, God bless him. L a FD is doing a really good job of giving Mayor Bass rope and they're just.
Speaker 3: Saying, go ahead, just keep talking. Here's what we did.
Speaker 9: You know, we put out all these different alerts and I'm sorry somebody didn't.
Speaker 3: Call you while you were on your flight, right, Yeah, yours to what she's going with. Yeah, that's what she's going with. I can't believe that.
Speaker 9: And honestly, I think this is this is really bad for her, not just now, but in the future. This is one of those things that they don't forget. Come next election.
Speaker 2: No, and we're talking earlier today. The election is next year, believe it or not. Man, Man, does that go by fast? I can't believe it, and I'm not sad about it, but I uh it just it flies. So we'll talk about that. And we're on Pope Watch twenty twenty five. Lots of thoughts in prayers going to Rome right now, So we'll do that. We'll talk LA law and.
Speaker 9: Is it possible the Menendez brothers, speaking of elections, just got hosed based on the DA election.
Speaker 3: Totally possible.
Speaker 9: That's all coming up in the first hour that we'll talk about politics as usual, and don't forget. We also have our show business segment. There is no business like that is a straight Ahead sag After Award. It's underway here in in just a few minutes, so we're keeping an eye on that today.
Speaker 3: Too, while the show goes on Big Program, Big
Speaker 1: Program KFI AM six forty on demand