Speaker 1: People want to build and tokenized on Stellar because it's built for that. Tokenization and payments for the two things that we hyper focused on since day one, and asset tokenization for the real world. We want to be there bringing all of these assets for everyday financial services onto the network. Privacy is the opportunity because all the traditional financial infrastructure is not going to be built on blockchain unless we have the privacy solution, and Stellar wants to be able to make that happen.
Speaker 2: As far as the mechanisms, there's been talked about, zero knowledge proofs and other types of things. Is Stellar developing its own or using any type of models that are out there.
Speaker 1: We actually like to be able to build these things with partners so that we can think through what their needs are.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by Uphold, which is a great crypto platform that makes it easy to buy, sell, and stay crypto assets. Uphold has over three hundred plus cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin in all the top all coins, and they offer a crypto staking on over nineteen crypto assets. I've been a user of the platform for many years. They are safe and reliable. They don't commingle or lend out your crypto funds and they are one hundred percent reserve. You can review their transparency report. Uphold also offers an amazing rewards program where you can earn up the five point two five percent on stable coins. This rewards program also allows you to get twenty four hour early access to new tokens that they list, and to participate, you just simply have to open the app once per month, deposit fifty dollars once per month, and trade fifty dollars once per month. And the stable coins that they support includes ripples, r L, USD. You can earn up the five percent on that stable coin and five point two five percent on USBC. So if you'd like to learn more about Uphold and all the great services they offer, visit the link in the description. Hey folks, welcome into the Thinking Crypto podcast. I'm your host Tony Edward and joining me today's Danelle Dixon, who is the CEO and executive director at the Stellar Development Foundation. And Deanelle. Great to see you, Great to have you back on, Tony.
Speaker 1: It's so awesome to see you. Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Denell, we've spoken a couple of times, I believe over the years I've followed you and of course the Stellar Development Foundation. You've often spoken in front of Congress and talked about crypto legislation and the things that we need to get going, and you know, there's been a lot of developments around Stellar as well. So I'm excited to go through the details there. Maybe we can kick it off with the Stellar Developments Foundation's privacy strategy and what's your goal there and plans and so forth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I mean, privacy is the opportunity, and it's the opportunity because Tradify and all the traditional financial infrastructure is not going to be built on blockchain unless we have the privacy solution, and Stellar wants to be able to make that happen. And so it's not going to be a one to one match. If you think about privacy in the off chain world, it might be a little different. But we need to be able to take the benefits of blockchain and what blockchain has to offer, and take the needs from the consumer and the business privacy that we're hearing from the traditional financial infrastructure and implement that. So this is an area that first of all, privacy has like been near and dear to my heart for many many many years, and things that I've advocated for also before Congress, but before I came to Stellar and before I got into the space regarding privacy and the importance of it. And so it's really fun to see these worlds merge and for us to be able to be hyper focused in right now.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean, Danelle, we don't want our healthcare information, our private data out there in the blockchain for everyone to see.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is an interesting point, is that when it's not that different from way back when when I was working at Mozilla and advocating for protecting user privacy, and we talked a lot about like an API to me, like let me let you into my world, don't just take what you want from my world. We actually have the opportunity to sort of make that work here in a really beautiful way. And so we're thinking about like confidential transactions that could be at the balance level, that could be at the send and receive level. It's ways to be able to repurpose that immutability of the blockchain history and the blockchain archive and protect that, but also make sure that the individual and the business's information is protected as well. So I think that this is a great space for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely much needy. Like you said, institutions, This is going to be a big requirement because certain information obviously they don't want out there. As far as the mechanisms, you know, there's been talk about zero knowledge proofs and other types of things in Stellar developing its own or using any type of models that are out there.
Speaker 1: Well, you need the base level for ZkS to be in there. We really really like it when the ecosystem comes and has ideas. We actually like to be able to build these things with partners so that we can think through like what their needs are. Building in the dark doesn't really help. We need to be able to understand the real world impact of what a solution is and what users might want. So we have a few folks that we're working with when we think about what it takes for them to be able to rea their users and what their users are demanding, whether those be businesses or end users, and using those and to create the privacy solutions that way is a really important thing. But certainly zkproofs are and there. You have the primitives already somewhat on the network, and we're going to add more primitives to it. So that others can build on it. This is how you build an ecosystem and how you make sure the ecosystem is involved in what you're doing. Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Now you mentioned, you know, institutions, and one of the things I wanted to discuss was the adoption of Stellar for tokenization where you have centrifuge, Ondo, PayPal, red Swan, you know, I was just looking at RWA do xyz sc Steller's number eight as far as total value tokenize on the chain. Tell us about what type of institutions are building here, what are some of the things you're tokenizing and more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, importantly, we're number two when it comes to treasuries, and we've been number two for a really long time behind Ethereum, and that's what we see a lot of opportunity space in and people want to build and tokenized on Stellar because it's built for that. We've thought about tokenizations since day one. Tokenization and payments for the two things that we hyper focused on, and asset tokenization for the real world. We want to be there where the real world bringing all of these assets for everyday financial services onto the network, and so we have the compliance layer that's built in. We have all of the things that traditional financial infrastructure has wanted and now sees, oh wait, it's here, and it's actually easy for us to do that, and it's really exciting to see that. So we want to we want to meet the real world demand with what's available on the network, and I think we're doing that. And so you see that there's a ton of growth there and there, and there will continue to be growth. There's lots of like the ones that you just mentioned. We just that they just launched actually at Stellar at our Meridian event in Rio this year, and now we're going to see a lot more of them come to the network too. So it's been it's been great to see frankly, what we've built, you know, eleven years ago, really be leveraged and come to fruition and really like meeting the demand of the ecosystem today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. And you know, I'm really fascinated by red ste One and the fact that they're tokenizing real estate because we've seen a lot of folks like do treasuries. There's a big race now for stocks and equities, but real estate the world's largest asset class. I feel that's still you know, it's not tapped in fully yet and this is really cool that they're doing that, and I'm excited to see what how they do this commercial real estate really you know, I should say the non commercial residential I should say, and what that looks like and how that can change markets.
Speaker 1: Well, I am so excited about red Swan. I met them a couple of years ago. I actually met them in person, although we've been working with them MTM in person at Davos, and I was just so excited with what they had to offer because these are large scale Some of them are large scale buildings that you know, think like large apartment buildings or hotels from the commercial standpoint, and then also, as you say, residences so that people can own fractionalized interest in it. This has been something that actually was started years ago, Like not with red Swan, another player actually started it on Stellar. We've seen token I oil barrels on Stellar, like all of these really fun things, but I think those were a little bit early to the market, and now you see red Swan. I think it's hitting the market at exactly the right time. The thing about it is when we think about everyday financial services, it's the ability to put your money into create capital and to be involved in capitalism in a unique way. And when you think about being able to purchase a fractionalized ownership of real estate, it actually allows your money to grow and to grow through the growth of an asset out there that is in high demand by everyone. So it's really exciting to see that and not to have barriers to entry so that anyone could actually use this. This is what everyday financial services are and this is what we really like to focus on.
Speaker 2: So deanelle a bit about the toganization market. It seems the puck is heading where a lot of these traditional assets will be on the blockchain, fractionalize, you'll be able to put them to work and DeFi and we're going to have almost twenty four to seven markets maybe for some assets, not all, but also more of a global reach, more liquidity coming in from different parts of the world. Do you see it that way and what are some of your expectations maybe by twenty thirty for the tokenization market.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that The way we think about Stellar, certainly in twenty twenty five, twenty twenty six and beyond is scalability and usability, and a lot of it is focused around tokenizing these assets and making sure that these assets can be leveraged across all markets. So when you think about they're not all of them are quite ready for the DFIED platforms yet, but they want to be. Not all of them are quite ready to be used for payment mechanisms, but they want to be. And so we need to let a little bit of the policy and the regulatory environment catch up with what this technology can do. But I love that these players are thinking ahead and they're trying to figure out, like what are the things like if you think about paying with stable coins, that's amazing. But if you think about the fact that you can hold a US back treasury asset and then also make payments with that US back treasury asset, so that you're also the money is sitting there working for you and you get to leverage payments just like a traditional money market fund where you used to be able to direct checks from it, it's pretty great. And to make that sort of on a global scale, which is what we're seeing, is also really wonderful, so I think, and then to be able to put them into yield bearing, to put them into pools so that you can generate yield from it just create so much opportunity for the end user, whether that be a small to medium size institution or an end user an individual. So I think that we want to meet the market demand. The real world assets are going to be part of that and bringing those to the blockchain are really important. But I completely agree with you that this is the place that we're going to see a tremendous amount of growth because this is just another rail for them, and this rail should be leveraged and is going to be game changing for these traditional financial institutions because they get to do it, as you say, twenty four hours, and that is it's a bit of a real world settlement to them. It is a little bit, I mean real time settlement to them is a little different and a little sometimes challenging for their internal infrastructure, but they're all going to get there and then it's just going to be hugely beneficial for frankly the globe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it opens up just a world of possibilities and you know a lot of benefits to people who didn't have access of financial services or banking services, and now they could be maybe in some country in Africa they just have a smartphone, but that's all they need in this wallet based setup world right, and to access some of these assets, and even if it's just a small amount, you know, that could be life changing for them and they can put some of their assets to work and it just opens up a lot of opportunities.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think the biggest point is we talk a lot about access, and yet people sometimes say, well, when they're treasuries, does that really make it so that it's accessible and does that change the access game? And the fact is that the tokenizing treasuries and also frankly all of these real world assets, it's beneficial on both sides of it. The institutions find that it's super helpful for them because they can actually put their workforce to different parts of their business because now they only have a ledger that they can focus on, so they don't have to like make their internal ledgers all balanced, because they can use a global public network that they can leverage for their life which is kind of game changing for them. But the access point is really important. I think sometimes people forget this because barriers to entry were always really high. If you think about you know, even Franklin Templeton all USUM because I know that their their asset Benji. What they've done there very well. They originally to get into their money market funds that were off chain money market funds. It costs twenty five hundred dollars. The entry point was twenty five hundred. Now it's twenty five in Benji. That's a huge difference. And so when you talk about the fact that it might just be a little bit or they could have fractionalized ownership of different components of it, that is like, it's a very big difference about getting into an asset. And I think that that number just comes down over time once this becomes commonplace that people are leveraging blockchain. So it's very exciting to see that, and you're right, I think it does really change the dynamics and allows more people to get involved in the traditional financial infrastructure. I mean, the number is something like seventy percent of the world, and the individuals and the world work outside of and work and don't actually leverage traditional financial infrastructure in their countries, and this can bring them into it in a very different way. It's either because they don't trust the governments that might be involved, or they can't get access to it. And now they can, and so this is just it creates this ability for everyone to be involved, and that's what's really exciting about it.
Speaker 2: Oh, for sure, you know with these institutions that are building on Stellar and you know, if we go back to now, obviously you've been here in this industry for a long time and we've gone through the painful parts of you know, the attack on crypto and much more. Are the institutions more so coming to you now or are you and is it easier to talk to them about crypto and building and tokenization in these things?
Speaker 1: For sure? I think the most important thing is is that you don't want to have like the square peg ground hole, like you don't want things to just not match. And so some institutions that we talk to, and a lot of them do come to us, but some institutions don't exactly know how they want to leverage it. They just know they want to understand blockchain and that we're there for that too, because we want to make it work on both sides. You don't want to just have someone build stable coin, for example, when the stable coin isn't necessarily the thing that they really wanted to be able to put into the world. Or tokenize some of their assets, but then they actually really wanted to be able to focus on payments and maybe they could have leverage other assets in there. So a lot of this is really great conversation now that frankly where people folks were more afraid to have before the Trump administration came in. In the US, it has really been kind of game changing in terms of the policies and the regulatory environment being more open to it, and it's opened the doors to these traditional financial players to say, Okay, we know this technology can change the game for us, so what can we do on Stellar to make it so that it's benefiting the business but also our intended recipients.
Speaker 2: You know, talking about you mentioned the Trump administration. This year has been a complete one adea. It's like, you know, the storm has passed and the sunshine on us, and it just feels like a great time to be in the industry, to be building. I see a lot of people, more optimistic, entrepreneurs, innovators, a lot of investments, a lot of new things that are happening in the industry. And I thought of your article that you recently published on the Stellar website about Web three and Web two and the dynamic there and the title if I pull it up here, let's build open highways, not for roads. Tell us about this piece and what you're seeing as far as the vision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that you're right that this is like I think, the most amazing time to come into Crypto, although it was actually really fun to come into Crypto years ago too because it was just a different environment in a different building space. But there's really amazing competition out there. Lots of folks are trying to get into and figure out where the space fits for them. The piece that I wrote that you're referencing there is really talking about vertical integration, and the vertical integration and centralization is actually usually the easiest way, the easiest path forward for a lot of players, because you can control it, you can own it, you can fix it, you can do lots of things to it. The challenge of that is when you think about like the network layer, which is the layer one, and not being owned or controlled by anyone entity creates the wrong incentives. And we saw this when I think back to my days in Web two and really focusing on like getting the Internet to be adopted, and you had all these application layers building on top and it was it was hyper focused around content. What we saw. We tried to keep things open there. We always kept the infra layer open, that network layers open. It still is today, which is really pretty remarkable and demonstrates the power and then open network because it allows for global integration and for folks to do whatever they want on top of it. Where we saw the vertical the cannibalization, we saw that happen at the next layer, at the application layer, and so you saw like five companies ultimately own the content on the web. And the inability like when Google started, Google was able to crawl the web and like kind of get everywhere and that's how they started their indexing. You couldn't do that today because there were walls all over the place. So it's really hard to do that. Again, that's the application layer, and sometimes content gets trapped and you have walls around the content, and having walls around content is not awesome, but it's not walls around value and money. And when you think about your value and your money being trapped in a network that you can't get access to because there are walls up, that's the challenge. And when we think about vertical integration, and we think about sentualization, we see that that is potentially the ultimate, the ultimate crime that will happen, right crime in a very existential way, because what we have right now is the ability to move seamlessly throughout not just on Stellar, but also like Stellar with bridging to to other networks. You have the ability to go and go to the networks that most suit you based on the things that are beneficial to you. When they're open networks, there's no shareholder demand to say, well, wait, we need to like put up toll booths to create like more growth for the shareholders and to charge different layers of it. You also aren't trying to track you into one network, which is what happens potentially, you know, with the wrong incentives. And so we have to be very mindful of making sure that we have blockchain rails. Stay open, stay open, stay interoperable. You have to build standards around this. We have to be very focused around this network layer. So think about the Internet. The Internet is open, and it's the layer that everyone can build on top of. The Networks should be open and should be the layer that everyone can build on top of. So that's the goal and That's why I read that, because I just saw so much of this happen back in the early days of the web.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean obviously you were previously to Coo at Mozilla, so this is you have the pedigree here. So I love your piece because I think it's a good reminder and to make sure we know, like you said, repeat the mistakes of the past. But what do you think about kind of the dynamic that's forming where you have the public blockchains, but you have companies building like their private permissioned blockchains what they're building. Do you think that's okay and it's needed in that way?
Speaker 1: I mean, if you think about sometimes I don't think that people necessarily need to have these private networks. I think that that is a stage for them. Once they get more comfortable, they'll ultimately move to the public blockchain because it's just easier. One of the things that's really important about open networks as well. So if I just think about open source is that you have lots of people all around the world who are building to make sure that the code is right, to make sure that the code remains competitive, that the outcomes are right. You don't just have one opinionated body that's going to tell you what you should and shouldn't do. That's a really important part of openness, which lots of people forget. And so when you have a permission network, it's very similar to what happens today with traditional financial infrastructure. A lot of times this is closed code that they're using. And when you have closed code, it's upgraded from time to time, but it's upgraded by a very opinionated body. The thing could be true with the private network, and so you need to just be mindful that the best way is for that interoperability layer. I do think it's staging. I think what happens is that these they get they get comfortable with the blockchain technology using these private networks, and then eventually they'll move to the public network because it saves them money, make sure that they're on the best, highest performing software, that all they're getting all of the ability for the compliance that's built into all of the networks, and certainly in distellar. So I do think that we'll see more if we keep focused around the importance of openness and global uh and not permissioned. I think that we'll see a lot of players eventually move.
Speaker 2: To that hard question for you. You know, I'm curious what you think or how you think. Players like Google with their browser's chrome, and even the social networks like Facebook and much more are going to inte integrate blockchain. And in addition, you know, do you see with the clarity in the market, they all launch maybe tokens where you have kind of the token economy these big companies and brands have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think it's funny. There's a lot of folks that are going to get into the stable coin and the game, the token game, I think, and I think that there's actually room for some of it to happen. And usually what happens in that is that that'll shake out the players that are most involved and actually have a reason to be able to have those things. I think if you think about blockchain, it could be the payment layer for all of those things. You know, when I was building a browser at Firefox, I mean at Mozilla. When we were building Firefox, one of the things I always wanted was a tip jar. I just wanted a tip jar in the upper right hand corner of the browser that you could easily tip and do these micro transactions. And we actually couldn't do that because the micro transactions were so costly at the time. Well, blockchain makes it really simple. So if you think about leveraging blockchain in all of these different assets that they hold as these large institutions, I think it could be like that payment layer that comes through. You can integrate Google Pay with it. You can make it so that you can actually pay globally without any kind of friction. You can lower the cost. Hopefully the end users benefit from it. Whether or not the tokens are going to be the things that it's a utility token. It makes it actually super seamless, right, It might make it really easy for them. Could be rewards tokens like you stay. It's fine for companies to want people to stay within their networks, but people should get benefits for staying within those networks. When I say networks, I mean like that the Google or you know, Apple, If you want to stay within that wall, you should get a benefit for it. So maybe they issue some kind of a reward token. Those things are all able to be done and available on Stellar and other networks, and so I think that you're going to see a lot of sort of play in that space. But just like we saw in the early days of the web. Applications came in, they offered tons of different things, and then eventually, like everything shakes out, and then the ones who are successful because they're offering end users, businesses and individuals alike what they want and what they need, and those players will ultimately survive. I'm just going to be there in the background constantly yelling about this need for us to stay open at the network layer. Everything else people can do their thing on, but we just need to stay open at the network layer.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure. Some of the ideal things that I would like to see is like the exam you gave. If it's Amazon or Apple, they have their own rewards token. It's interoppable maybe with other brands where I can go spend it at other brands. If I choose to leave it on the platform, maybe it earns me some rewards, like some sort of staking rewards, or the more I keep it on the platform or whatever it may be, the more discounts I get in my purchases over time. And I would love the web monetization of having a tip jar and being able to monetize that way. And maybe it's a different crypto assets or stable coins or things like that that would be really cool.
Speaker 1: Well, then if you think about it, how cool is it? And this is easy to do on install and on most layer ones, is that if that asset that you received as like a loyalty asset or a reward asset, then you could easily convert that through the decentralized exchange or something into another asset and then move over to another platform. Like this is actually what you can do with this tech staff. So I'm not at all like I know that everybody is issuing stable coins right now. Everybody's trying to figure out like where they play. Ultimately, I think that it's actually good for the market to have access to the opportunity to see, like who serious, who's going to stay in the game, who's going to do this thing and make it so that it's super valuable for us. I'd rather have fifty stable coins on Stellar than have one ourselves, because I think that that's like the market needs that. I also think it's really important to think about local stable coins, so at the country level, like if you think about those assets. So I'm really excited to see where this all plays out. But ultimately I think it's really important that the end user benefits from it. One of the things we kind of got wrong and Web two, and this is where I spend a lot of my energy and a lot of like the pieces that I focus on around privacy, but also just around monetization and also just the openness, is that we got it wrong with the privacy piece because users gave pieces of themselves but didn't get a lot of benefit from it. I used to always talk about this value which change. If you're going to give something up, then you should get something in return, and that didn't always happen. And frankly with privacy, I think it's sort of became like a you didn't actually know most of the time when you were giving a piece of yourself away. We can't, like within immutable archive history and a mutable record like blockchain, you can actually see the pieces of yourself that you're giving away. And so I think there's an opportunity to make this so that the user benefits and the user wins, whoever that user is. And that's what I want to see with blockchain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well said, And you know, so far, we've seen that stable coins have been the killer app of blockchain. That's the statement that's been floating floating around or out there, maybe because that use case is getting a lot of penetration in the real world. But I'm excited to see what else is being you know, is going to be built and how users you know, can leverage that. And one of the things I've been thinking about is maybe something that will help people to recognize the value of blockchain in addition to stable coins, is we have aid fakes and new things that are popping up, and it's hard to verify is it's real. I see people sharing stuff. I'm like, this is not real. This is like Sora or whatever it is. But if you leverage blockchain on those platforms and you date stamp it and you put you know, the history of where this is from and who published it, that could help us verify and this is going to be a real problem. It seems like.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting that you talk about that. I think that's absolutely true. I think that there are going to be blockchains that are going to come up and that will be their core focus area, and I think I love that. It's Actually the funny part about it is, Tony, this is exactly the issue that we had to deal with the content providers way back when in the early days of the web, when the content providers were like, wait a minute, this is not our content. This and this user generated content has taken our content and changed it and now they're getting monetization from it. But it's and you know, they would do the notice and takedown to get content removed from the site, and we didn't have like a lot of times that they tried to do was do water marking. Water Marking was complicated, But you're right, like when you think about like what blockchain can do, it can create that record and show like this is when that was created and look at what it is. And so it's a pretty cool way to be able to create that immutable record that means that this is mine. So I do think there's just so much opportunity with blockchain generally. I mean, we focus so much on the financial infrastructure part of it, and this is a component of financial infrastructure because it's how how companies make money from the assets that they leverage. But I think that there's just so much more to see in this space.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the other problems I encounter as a content creator is that people impersonate the brand right, they will create a profile and try to go scam people, and it happens to every influencer or content creator out there, and it's a real big problem because people fall for it sometimes. And if you can have some sort of blockchain layer where people can click verify or a dialogue box opens up and says this was created yesterday or no, this is originally from Tony, this is act thinking crypto, I think that would help save a lot of people, you know, headaches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I absolutely think that there's going to be because of those two coming together, the amazing use of AI in there's a lot of good to it, but then there's also a lot of challenge with it, and there's going to have to be that balance. I'm really excited to see there's legal components to it. Sometimes I put my legal brad to work and I think, like, how do we actually make this so that you can still protect your likeness and your image in a world like this. And it's really cool to see the people that are working on this now and leveraging what they can, which is the new technologies as AI but also as blockchain.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure, now jumping back to stable coins because you know, you mentioned that you would rather have Stellar be a layer for multiple stable coins rather than create one. Obviously, with the Genius Act pass, you got a lot of stable coin players entering the market, even from the state level. I think North Dakota recently said they're going to do something Wyoming launch one. At some point, there's going to have to be some sort of consolidation, right Denell to everybody in the Grandma can have a stable coin.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it is. It's an interesting dynamic. And I think again, like we're in this great phase that maybe we should have been at five years ago, where we had more regulatory support in the US, because we would have seen some of this happen and we would all be at a different place. But I think about blockchain technology, and certainly when I think about Stellar, we're like eleven years old, but we're still at the phase of we're not yet walking, like if you think about like human evolution and like human development, and we're like to the place or maybe we're walking, but we're not yet running. And so it's okay, like we're in this space where lots of challenges and lots of opportunities are going to present themselves and I think one of them is the fact that Genius Act allowed the lots of folks to get into the stable coin game, and I think that this is beneficial for the end user ultimately, because the end user, whether they be business as or individuals, are going to get to choose what they're going to engage with. And I'd rather see more than less because I hate to see consolidation happen too early because you want to have that competition, You want to have the best technology to win. You also want to have the players who want to stay in the space win, so it's not just like someone who's in it and then like a stable coins weren't really what we wanted. But you're going to see people that did a stable coin and then they're like, wait, actually we're okay leveraging someone else's stable coin because we really wanted to focus on the payments angle and create a payment platform, and you're going to see people who are like, no, no, we're in this and we want to do it. So I'm actually really excited about it. We have lots of asset issuers who have visied different types of assets on Stellar, and I think it's going to be really valuable I do think one of the important things that we're we actually are spending a lot of time thinking about is the local stable coins. When we first started, and actually when I came to Stellar at the Sele Development Foundation, there was this idea that we wanted it anchored to be representative of every asset in the world, every FIAT backed asset in the world. And we wanted that because we believe that that's the best way to trade. That way, you're respecting the currencies that are for each country, but you're also leveraging the beauty of the US dollar or the Euro to be able to transfer and to be able to make this, and a lot of people want to hold those assets, and so we focused there, and we actually went out very early, and there were a lot of assets that were built at the local currency level, like in the global majority, like think about countries all over the world, but then there wasn't the liquidity. I actually think now, Tony that we're going to see people really focus around those currencies because central banks in those regions are going to want to protect the value of their currency and they're going to be comfortable with dollars coming in, but it's going to need to convert to the local currency so that they're not dollarizing the world. And I don't think that we want to end up with the dollar iceed world. So I'm really excited to see what happens with these countries that are already thinking like, Okay, how do we protect the stability of our currency, how can we still bring money into our country even if it comes in as a dollar, Let's convert it to either is it a stable coin, is it a CBDC, or is it government debt that we're going to actually leverage to trade? Because I kind of love the ability to think about that. So these are questions that I think that we're just now going to have to start getting into. We don't want to see a dollar ice world. We want to see the dollar be leveraged as often and as comfortably as they can. But we also want to see local governments really take control of their own currency and the protection of their assets internally.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure. And I wonder how that all these countries create their own stable corner as CBDC, how that changes FX markets and what that would look like with against settlement and much more.
Speaker 1: Well, that is the thing, like you already have the ability to do FX on chain, and I think you're going to see a lot more focused there. We're going to have a lot more players really think through how does that make sense? And if you actually have a local stable coin, so you have a stable coin, for example in Ghana, they if they issue is I think CBDCs is way way complicated. But if they actually issue government debt and you can leverage that as sort of like that local currency for example, and then you want to you want to exchange that for the dollar, and you could easily do that with low cost online. I don't know. I kind of see that that's the world I want to live in, and that effects is going to be the challenge. But I think it's also a really strong opportunity for us to be able to create the right tolls, the right expenses for people, but make it so that it's seamless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that absolutely makes sense. You know, speaking of payments, I want to curious if there are any new updates around your partnership in money Gram and how they're leveraging this dollar blockchain and so forth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty great to see, but you know, they've issued their own wallet. They're really focused right now in Columbia. They are really trying to make their rails work seamlessly on and off ramping. There's still global on and off ramping for wallets that are connected to Stellar, and eventually i'd love to see money Gram really get those rails to be strong ease of use. Sometimes it's a little harder on the cash inside, and so they're really focusing on trying to make that seamless. They're working on their infrastructure, even in their internal infrastructure and so not the blockchain components, just to make it so that it's really smooth. I really love that relationship. I think that we need global players like MoneyGram, Western unions, like those kinds of entities to be involved at the on and off ramping layer. And then we also need to respect the fact that local players are really really important too for on and off ranping. So again, like I kind of want it all. I don't want to limit it to anything, but I think that like what MoneyGram has done was kind of game changing for the industry to be able to take cash and to leverage it and to buy it, like to buy the US dollar backed asset, and then to be able to move between that for in a wallet it's amazing. And to open up their infrastructure. I always think about it as like MoneyGram opening up their infrastructure like an AWS and letting even competitors get into their infrastructure. Pretty cool. And then now the fact that they built a wallet and that while it is like, you know, scaling on Stellar is fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome. You know, there were some community community questions where folks were asking about Stellar's plans for Brazil and maybe you could talk about your plans internationally Latin America and other regions.
Speaker 1: Brazil is so fun because we just had our writing conference in Rio and we had the deputy mayor of Rio com Rio has been really supportive of blockchain technology and even locally in terms of their own regulations, and I really really want us to pay attention to how we can help them to be able. What they already have a regulation that allows taxes to be paid with crypto. What can we do to help them to be able to facilitate that and make that really simple. I love it, and it was just a really great conversation and a wonderful place to be. Brazil is, you know, the largest market in that America, South America that has a tremendous amount of innovation. They've always been like very forward and very very much first, even in the web two days on policy, and it's really wonderful to see that. So, you know, we've always held very tight relationships in Latin America and South America. Lots of builders in the region, and we're going to continue to focus there. We actually hired Jose from PayPal. Jose is my chief growth officer at this point. Yes and yeah, and he is like, it's amazing because it's not yet. We're focused on Latin America, South America, the African continent if you think about just Amia generally. We are now ready. One of the things Tony I'd say is that there have been a lot of years where I've had folks internally say to me, we need to hire people globally, we need to hire people in all of these regions, and I didn't think that we were necessarily ready to do that and to scale at that level. And we are now so scaling on growth metrics globally is our place. It's our plan and focus for twenty twenty six, and having Jose be a part of it has been really fun. He's been here for just over one hundred days and it's been great to have him. So I think that our plans are go big and don't go home.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, And I know jose Well followed him over the years while he was at PayPal, so that's a great pickup by you guys, and he's got a lot of knowledge around crypto and payments and much more. I wanted to ask you about ETFs because there's a lot of old coin ETF filers. The SEC has changed the way they approach ETFs where it's much easier now to get them approved or at least filed. I know Great Scale has an XLM ETF product. Are you talking to other filers to launch products around XLLM.
Speaker 1: Well, I just saw actually a story come out today that Wisdom Try just launched an ETP in Europe. And so with XLM, I think that what's really important about the opportunity for that is it allows people who wouldn't necessarily get into the crypto space and get into understanding these ecosystems without that, and it gives them a way that they're comfortable with engaging. And so I think that you're going to see a lot more of these and you know, lots of folks reach out to us about these kinds of things. It's not sort of our space in terms of like, if they want to do that, then that's like they see value in it, and they see value for their consumers and there are businesses that they're working with to do that. But big picture, from my standpoint, I think it's really important and really wonderful to see new players engage in the ecosystem surrounding the Stellar network, and if that's the way to get them to do it, then that's I think that's another way. That is another avenue in and on.
Speaker 2: The other side of token you got digital asset treasury companies. It's trying to continue to grow and many of them are putting crypto assets on their balance sheet. You know, it all started with Big One, Michael Sailor and micro Strategy, but now tons of folks you're doing this with publicly traded companies. What are your thoughts on that trend and are some of these folks approaching you about adding XLM to the balance sheet.
Speaker 1: For sure, we get approached quite often around these dats, and you know, I had to spend some time really trying to understand the value of them. What I love about the opportunity. You know, we're a foundation, we focus on growth of the Stellar ecosystem, and we're one entity that spends a lot of time trying to make sure that we get the messages out not just about what's happening with the SDF, which is actually not as important as what's happening with the folks that are building on Stellar and that dats done well. Are actually another avenue to be able to go out to these and should create even a larger ecosystem around a network like Stellar. And so from that standpoint, I think they're interesting and I think that they provide another opportunity for people that might not purchase that asset on the market themselves, but they can feel more comfortable purchasing a company that's growing an ecosystem around an asset and purchasing equity from that. So I think it's an interesting trend. I mean, I've read a lot about the fact that some of them will be consolidation. That will be consolidation that will happen there, which is also sort of part of just like the way the world works in everything. So I think it's this is one of those times where I see so many really interesting opportunities out there to demonstrate the value not just Stellar but like all the different ecosystems that exist. And if this is another avenue in I think it's great. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also I feel like they're trying to compete with ETFs. I personally prefer ETFs, and now that the SEC is going to prove these specific all coin ETFs, including like XLM and so forth, I don't necessarily see that personally that they need to invest in a company that's holding asset, but you know, people do different things with different assets, and they maybe just some sort of arbitrage here.
Speaker 1: But anyway, well, I think that it might be it might it might be tony the fact that some of these companies, it looks like, at least from my vantage point, that they actually have that operating business that they're working and then this is their treasury side. And on that treasury side, they're really focused around bringing attention to the good things that are happening in the ecosystems themselves. And so I think it's a little bit different from an ETF from that standpoint. But I hear you you have to just like figure out as an investor, what makes the most sense for you. But I do think that they the dat's, at least the ones that I've seen go to market. And certainly Michael Saylor sort of like the pioneer of this, like he's done a lot for bitcoin and the bitcoin ecosystem, not just for the asset itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that definitely makes sense. I wanted to get your thoughts on the Clarity Act that's stuck in the Senate right now. We get government shut down, Well, let's say the government opens back up. You know, are you optimistic this thing could pass this quarter, maybe by December? And what do you think this means for the industry and even Firstellar.
Speaker 1: I want to say I'm optimistic. I'm going to be honest and tell you I think the government's got a lot of things that they need to take on. And you know, folks really wanted to get the clarity. They wanted to get clarity on the Clarity Act this year. We wanted to get that like kind of through. I think that what that does is it just tells the world, like what regulatory body is responsible for what things, and it creates the lane for the SEC and the lane for the other regulatory bodies to be able to focus on digital assets, and I think it's really important. I've advocated for the Clarity Act before it was called the Clarity Act. I sometimes think that even at different points, the Clarity Act hasn't brought clarity, Like there's been a lot of things in there that have actually muddied the waters. So I think we need to be careful about trying to push something through that is not going to create what we want to create, which is again the identification of the regulatory bodies and making sure that digital assets are commodities until they're not, and really thinking through those kinds of things and which agency is going to be responsible for that. That's what's important, and we need to make that happen, and like to say it's going to happen before the end of the year, but I'm not confident given the fact that we have a lot of stuff going on in the government that's not relevant to the digital asset space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, it's it's just politics, right, how government works. So hopefully, fingers crossed they were able to do something, but we'll see, you know, maybe worst case it pushes into Q one twenty six or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was pretty confident it was going to go through much earlier in the year. You know, they tried to tie it, so there were some folks who were trying to tie it together with the Genius Act, and I ultimately think it was better that we didn't do that. I ultimately think that it was a good move to separate them, which is where they were before, and to allow them to sort of like have their own lanes. But yeah, I want to see it happened too, maybe Q one next year. Who knows, we might all get surprised and it could come to light in this year. But I think, yeah, we're this government's got some challenges for sure.
Speaker 2: Questioning for I let you go. You mentioned, you know, part of your twenty twenty six road map was the international expansion. Just curious if there's anything else you wanted to highlight that's on the roadmap.
Speaker 1: Well, I think privacy and scalability. If you think about what we care about for twenty twenty six, what we cared about for twenty twenty five, but it's going to be much louder and much broader in twenty twenty six, is scalability and usability. We need to meet the real world demands on Stellar and particularly those demands when it comes to everyday financial services. So you're going to see us really really focused there. And you know, I think that we've stretched a lot over the last i'd say eight years, and we've really stretched into like the even soorbon growing the smart contract platform. We've done just so much. We've seen the smart contract platform Onstellar increase one hundred and ninety four percent and TVL year on year, and that was at the end of you two. It just continues to grow, and so I love where we've gone, but we need to focus on scaling and really creating this usability in the market, and that's what we're going to do.
Speaker 2: Awesome, Danelle, love it, Love all the initiatives and everything that's going on. And I'm sure we're going to have to do another interview maybe Q one twenty twenty six, and you know, Clarity Act will be past there then and then there you know, some new updates as well. But thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 1: Pleasure to be here, Tommy, thanks for having me