Speaker 1: Coming to you from Iconic Studio A Here at proven winners color Choice shrubs. It's time for the Gardening Simplified podcast, radio and YouTube show with Stacy Hervella, me, Rick Weist, and our engineer and producer Adrianna Robinson. Well, if I had a dime for every time somebody asked me about flower bulbs and the fact that they bought them in fall left them in the trunk of their car or in their garage, Now what do I do? Or if I had a dime for every time somebody said to me, oh, it's early spring and my bulbs are coming up. Are they going to freeze? Cause we're going to get cold weather. If I had a dime, I'd be a pretty rich guy. Now, when people say bulbs, they're often referring to true bulbs as well as corms, rhizomes, tubers. Bulbs are kind of a tagline in marketing. You know, you're not getting a tissue, You're getting a kleenex, You're you know, nothing runs like a deer. We know we're talking about tractors. It's a tagline. They're bulbs, and the four big keys to success with bulbs are well drained soil planting, depth and timing in my opinion. Oh and one other thing that is a total pet peeve for me with bulbs. If you're purchasing them and you're planting them bulbs, rhizomes, corms, tubers, whatever they may be. And let me mention that here in the North, things like tubers and rhizomes or corms, we're lifting them in the fall and we're putting them into storage. Cannas and dahlias are a perfect example, or one of my favorites, tuberous begonias. They're not really bulbs, they're tubers or rhizomes, but we'll just loosely define them as bulbs. Back to the pet peas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, let's not get off of that. I don't want to miss out what this is. I'm dying over here.
Speaker 1: The pet peeve is again. Having run a garden center for years, the size of the bulb matters, and for years I would sell only bulk bulbs because people love to kind of rummage through the box and dig for the bulbs. And for example, take a tulip bulb as an example. I believe the tulip bulb should be twelve centimeters in size or bigger in order to have a good bloom for next spring. My pet peeve is when they get put into fancy packages with colorful header cards, and all kinds of effort is put into the header card. But the size of that bulb, in my opinion, at least from what I see out there, in some cases, is going to lead to disappointment nextpert.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, so often in gardening, and definitely no exception for bulbs, you get what you pay for, yes, And you may sit there thinking, oh, I'm getting such a bargain. I saw them over at this place and they were this much, and here it's the same amount, and you know they only cost this much, so I'm getting the bargain. Well, there is something that is being made up there, and it is the size of the bulb, because those bulbs are being raised in the Netherlands, and most flower bulbs in the US are actually still imported from the Netherlands. It is the capital of bulb production in the world. You know, not everything is a top grade bulb. There's some smaller bulbs, and they're not just gonna throw those away. They're just going to go out and sell them at a lower price to you know, second tier retailers, and it's perfectly fine, but you just need to know what to expect. You're not going to get the same results is if you're buying that top grade bulb.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. As a matter of fact, if you take a bulb like a tulip bulb and you were to slice it with a sharp knife length wise, you would see that I'm going to call it embryo within the bulb, and that's sitting there, and that is the promise of spring sitting right there in your hands, and that's going to emerge when the conditions are right now. At the risk of being pedantic, I'm using your word here, Stacy, at the risk of being pedantic, cooling the bulbs is a confusing thing for people, but really, simply put, cooling keeps the embryo from emerging at the wrong time, but it also provides the opportunity for root formation for the bulb. They'rein my case that the depth that you plant at, as well as the fact that the soil needs to be well drained, is very very important because while that bulb is resting throughout the winter, and we're talking here about bulbs like daffodils or tulips, or hyacinths, crocus aliums, any of those fall planted non tropical bulbs. They need an opportunity to root. That's why when we force bulbs and we say you need a cooling period, we're not talking about frozen soil. We don't want ice frozen soil. We're talking about chilled soil. That is number one, going to allow the bulb to prepare so that when the temperatures are right and when the conditions are right, that embryo is going to emerge in spring as a beautiful flower.
Speaker 2: You know, the key to understanding this really is to look at the bulb you're interested in, look at where it is native to, and look at the climate and the terrain there, and that will give you so much of a better idea of what you need to try to replicate. And shoelips, daffodils, they're native to Central Asia, the Near and Far East, and you know they just bake. They just bake in rocky, sandy soils all summer. They are not equipped to deal with wet, regularly watered perennial beds. Eggs where so many people want to plant, it's not that you can't plant from there. You can, It's just you have to know you're only going to have probably a one year display because otherwise the bulb is going to rot as you keep your flowers going. And it's such an interesting way to do your research and to understand how you're growing your plants is to really take it back to that area and learn what you can and then again do your best to replicate it.
Speaker 1: That's a great point to where they are native, which brings up the point for all our Southern listeners and viewers, you're in the game here too. Number one. My son worked for quite a bit of time in Tennessee, and I saw tulips do magnificent in Tennessee. But even further south there are tropical and subtropical bulbs that would grow well in the South or in Florida. I think of agapanthus. I grow that here in Michigan, also known as lily of the Nile. It's native to South Africa. Of course, you have cannas, kala lilies, elephant ear, Colocacia esculenta. Alocasia's kalladiums are wonderful, wonderful plants for warm climates. Eucumus, which is pineapple lily, eucharis amazon lily, and of course, boy, this one always trips me up. But it's zephyra anthees, zephyr anthes grand a floor, the rain lily when it rains in the south, and all of a sudden, these beautiful amaryllis like blooms up here. It's really cool to see.
Speaker 2: Right And you know, if you're sitting there going whoa, this is like a lot of information and I'm already confused about bulbs. Don't worry. All you have to do is shop locally, because if you are going to your local garden center, all of the bulbs that you are going to be seeing for sale right now in your garden center in fault are going to be the ones that you should plant.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: There you go, so you enjoy in spring, and then a lot of the bulbs that just listed will make a resurgence in spring to be planted imediately and then go on to bloom in summer. So you don't have to worry about knowing all of this. All of these are different types of bulbs and corms, and all of these are the kinds of plants that have a dormant period where all their energy is stored into that fleshy, energy packed potato like structure, and they grow and then they go dormant again, and all of this combines to make them, in my opinion, some of the most rewarding, easiest to grow plants. I mean, I've said it already this year, but I'm going to say it again. You never regret planting bulbs.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm glad you brought that up, because we talked about marketing taglines for the Netherlands Bulb Institute or that organization. For a long time they had the tagline dig Drop Done. I liked that, so you know, and I like that too. I think it's great also to your point, Stacy, about the bulbs that you find in stores wherever you live at this time of the year. Great example of that is freezi's now cut flower gardening is very, very popular, and we love freezias. In the deep South Florida, you're going to be planting freezias and find them in fall, whereas here in the north or Midwest, you're going to find those in garden centers in spring and would be planting them in spring. So freezias are a good example of that. Also, here's a little limb a rick for you. It's bulb planting time. Whoopee, use your tulips and speak to me. They'll sleep in the ground and then spring will abound with blooms. I guarantee, and they will, they will. Although I do have to mention again that in the past, when I planted bulbs, usually what I would do is have some old screens around, and after I planted them backfilled the soil. I'd throw the screens on the soil to keep squirrels from digging because they see that freshly dug soil. But you're better off using chicken wire digging your hole, putting the chicken wire in plant the bulbs, peel the rather wrap the chicken wire around the bulbs, then fill with soil. That will work well for you when you're planting.
Speaker 2: If you have that issue. You know, surprisingly, despite having a number of squirrels in walnut trees around my neighborhood, I don't typically have a huge issue with squirrels digging them up. Now when things come up, you know, that's another issue. I have long since given up growing tulips living surrounded by deer. But yeah, that's I mean, that's an easy way to make sure that they don't dig them up and mess with them, because you know they're probably like, hey, another squirrel buried a walnut around here, I better get that walnut. Oh crap, it's just a bunch of crocuses.
Speaker 1: But they'll eat them in it.
Speaker 2: But they will potentially eat them anyway.
Speaker 1: Yes, a couple of other quick things. First of all, as far as deer resistance is concerned, remember iris, daffodils, aliums, fritile area. They're great, they're beautiful, and the deer tend to leave them alone. Also, I love to naturalize with bulbs and drifts and grow them through groundcovers. So if you have a groundcover of sweet woodruffer, let's say this fall you plant some pansies that will be blooming next spring. Plant those bulbs right in with those groundcovers, and then when they grow through them in spring, they'll be really pretty.
Speaker 2: They'll be gorgeous, you bet you.
Speaker 1: Let's find out what Stacy has on her mind for plants on trial that's coming up next here on the Gardening Simplified Show.
Speaker 2: Prooven Winners Colored Choice Shrubs cares about your success in the garden. That's why we trial and test all of our shrubs for eight to ten years, making sure they outperform everything else on the market. Look for them and the distinctive white container at your local garden center. Greeting's gardening friends, and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show, where I am going to give you a little bit more on bulbs. But first I do want to say Halloween is about a month away and we would love to feature your garden horror stories on our Halloween show. It's going to be airing right after Halloween. If you have a garden horror story, it doesn't have to be truly scary. It could be something that was merely alarming to you personally or just funny out of the ordinary. We all have them sometimes we need a little time to think of and we would love to hear that from you and be able to read that on the air and share it with our other listeners. If you have a garden horror story, you can reach us at Gardeningsimplified on air dot com. There's a contact form right there. You can just type it all in and we will add it to our list and share it with our listeners. It could be anything from you know, animal related, pest related. I had said that I once heard from a listener on my previous show who went to put her garden glove on and found a mouse was inside it. Yes, stacular, you know, unexpected snake sightings, so many possible things. My brother wants threw a slug into my hair that was very traumatic for me as a child.
Speaker 1: I got up one morning in my entire lawn was full of plastic forks. I got forked.
Speaker 2: What Yeah, someone did that to you.
Speaker 1: Somebody comes along. It's a prank.
Speaker 2: It's a prank.
Speaker 1: Yeah, plastic forks, thousands of them.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a real pain. So anyway, whatever you're the nature of your garden ho ror story, please do reach out to us a Gardening Simplified on your dot com. We would love to hear from you. Now, before I get to today's plant on Trial, I do just want to say something. My pet peeve about bulbs, okay, is quantity? You know, because you like go out, you buy a package of bulbs and you're like, whoa twenty five bulbs? And you know that scares some people away and not and it shouldn't it shouldn't. This is not like I show up to your house and say, here's twenty five shrubs. You have to find spots for them and plant them. It's not like that. Bulbs are very easy to fit in anywhere. And I will tell you what I have learned from working in gardens and what I do in my own garden. I don't dig twenty five holes. That would be ridiculous. Not only would it be more work than is necessary, but you're not going to get the display that you want because all you have is little tiny flowers spread out over like you know, one hundred square feet, and that doesn't have the impact. So what I do is I will dig one slightly larger hole, and I will pack that with all sorts of bulbs. Usually i'm looking for things. I tend personally to go more with what's known as the minor bulbs, so smaller, more unusual things. I do love daffodils. Those are bigger and they need a lot more space. You need to dig a lot deeper for them. But even if I plant a daffodil, you know, I'll dig that hole for the daffodils, put in some soil, and then just put a handful of mixed minor bulbs, So that could be great hyacinth, crocuses, kyona, doxa, pushkinia, I mean so many different things. I'll just mix them all up and just take a handful and PLoP it right in that hole. You know, as I've said before, like is too short for proper spacing by and large, and that is no more that's no more so true than with bulbs. So don't be intimidated by that quantity. You know, there have been many years where I have finished up planting bulbs and said, okay, I planted about seven hundred and fifty bulbs this year, and that seems insane to a lot of people. But it's actually a lot faster and a lot easier. And as long as you are picking bulbs that are appropriate for your area, that are going to resist the challenges of your yard, whether that's moist soil or deer or whatever, that little investment in time and money will last two decades. Yes, you know, a lot of those minor bulbs are great for naturalizing. And that's what I love.
Speaker 1: That's the look that I'm Mascari's snowdrops. You bet they'll keep coming back year.
Speaker 2: After year, So don't be intimidated by the fact that bulbs are sold by multiples of twenty five. It's not like trying to plant twenty five shrubs or perennials. Just go for it. You will never regret planting bulbs. Now, all that said, I do love bulbs. You and I both love bulbs, but they do have one little liability, because of course nothing's perfect, right, and the liability that bulbs have is that they do not make their exit gracefully. You know. They it's they're very easy to plant, they're very easy to maintain, They require almost no work, and they come up in spring and they look amazing. You get that fresh growth of green right when the snow starts to melt, and you're getting super psyched to see your bulbs and they bloom and that was great. And now all the rest of your garden is coming alive, and there is that bulb foliage looking like that dog's breakfast and it's yellow and streaky, and it's kind of sad really, because you know, again, the rest of the garden is just starting to get going and is looking fabulous and fresh and beautiful, and here's this foliage just like no I'm gonna die now, And it's kind of depressing.
Speaker 1: And you feel guilty chopping it back because you're told you're not supposed to do that.
Speaker 2: Well, you shouldn't do that, and I have certainly seen bulbs not come back. The reason that you have to tolerate this long slope, painful death of the bulb foliage is because all of that is photosynthesizing, and photosynthesizing is making energy for the plant, and because bulbs do have this very very short window in which they are actively growing, they need that time to photosynthesize in that foliage translocate all of the energy that they're making through the chlorophyll in their leaves, and that's why they turn yellow. So it's super crucial. Now, some bulbs can withstand it once or twice, but if you were to repeatedly cut back your bulbs every single year because you're like, I can't look at that yellow foliage, you will not have bulbs for are very long. They really truly do need that period, so you do have to to put up with it. Now. Over the years, gardeners have found many interesting ways to kind of deal with this little life ability ponytails. The people will put them in a little ponytail, gather them all up raiding famously, as Martha Stewart did, And those are okay. First of all, I think their life is too short to probably sit around braiding your daffodil foliage. But even if you did want to do that, you know, the issue is that that hides a lot of those photosynthetic surfaces from the sun so that they're not able to fully, you know, make create all the energy that they need through this process. So one thing that some people do is pair their bulbs with a plant that will kind of either grow up to cover the dying foliage or distract from it. So daffodils and hostas are two very popular choices for doing just that, because the foliage is small when the bulbs are active, so it's not shading them out or anything like that. And then as the bulb foliage starts to die back, their foliage is really expanding. But I wanted to propose another idea, and that is today's plant on trial. Cody fresh Drvilla and so Durvilla is a native shrub North American native. It's native here to Michigan. In fact, you find it in many many places, but all over Mackinaw Island if you are familiar with that, and it's a relatively plain but tidy shrub. It has nice, high quality foliage. And what we have been doing here at proven Winter's Color Choice Shrubs with Durvilla is trying to capitalize on its tendency to have some quite nice color, especially in its new growth. And so we have been working with Durvilla for a number of years now, and we have Kodiac Red Durvilla, which has red foliage. We have Kodiak Orange, which has orange. We have Kodiak Black which has nice beautiful purple black foliage, and Kodiak Fresh is kind of a mix of most of these. So Kodiak Fresh Dravilla has chartruse foliage that emerges in shades of red and orange and yellow, and it just really lives up to its name and has this pretty vivid fresh look. And if you were to plant a Kodiak Orange or a Kodiak Fresh Terravilla next to your bulb planting, I think that you would genuinely find that as this starts to come out for spring, and it is so much more colorful, even if it is not directly covering your bulb foliage. It is easily distracting enough from them because it does bring so much color and life that you can kind of forget about all of the sadness going on just over there with your daff at all.
Speaker 1: Would you call it dogs breakfast?
Speaker 2: I called it the dog's breakfast, Yeah, because it's you know, it's like I wouldn't mind so much, like if it happened now. And there are some bulbs that actually put their foliage out in fall, right and then go on to bloom and spring. But you know, it's just kind of like insulting that, like here's spring and everything's livening up, and the bulbs are like, nope, I'm done. You know, it's it's it's a weird thing. So I don't know, I feel I guess I kind I find it kind of depressing. But I think Kodiak freshtervilla is a great way to lighten up the area and forget about that dying foliage. And Kodiak dur villas are so incredibly easy to grow. Like I said, they are native. There are very very durable shrubs. They kind of just grow as a natural sort of rounded habit, so you can let them be, or if you prefer to have something with a little bit more shape. They're very easy to trim and maintain into. You wouldn't want to put them into like a tight shape like you would a boxwood, but you can easily give it like a light trim to give it a more rounded, sculpted shape. In summer, it puts out tons of yellow flowers, and those attract native pollinators, especially bumblebees. Now, one name that you might hear sometimes as a common name for durvilla is bush honeysuckle. Now we don't like to use that term because it is not a honeysuckle, and of course people think honeysuckle and they think wow, invasive, even though they are in the same family. You don't have to worry about CoDIAK dri villa's being invasive or making a pestive themselves in your garden. They will tolerate just about any soil. Kodiak fresh is hardy down to USDA's own three. All aren't through USCA Zone eight. It gets to be two to three feet tall and wide, so again just a nice size for adding to your garden. And you know, I think much like bulbs, you won't regard planting it because it's one of those plants that really just looks fabulous without having to do anything to it.
Speaker 1: Love the plant in my landscape and in summary, easy to grow, and I love the fall color.
Speaker 2: And you can see all the photos of it on Gardening Simplified on air dot com of course, or if you're watching us on YouTube, you'll see them there, or check us out on Instagram. We're going to take a little break. When we come back, we're opening up the garden mailbank, so please stay tuned. At proven winner's color Choice, We've got a shrub for every taste and every space. Whether you're looking for an easycare rose and unforgettable hydrangea, or something new and unique, you can be confident that the shrubs and the white containers have been trialed and tested for your success. Look for them at your local garden center's Gardening Friends, and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show, where we try to simplify gardening for you, give you the information that you need to understand what the heck is going out there in your yard. And one of the ways we do that is by answering your garden questions and celebrating your garden successes and quandaries and conundrums. So if you want to reach us, we would love to hear from you. Help HLP at Gardening Simplified on air dot com or just visit Gardening Simplified on air dot com and there's a contact form where you can send us your message. Now you have seen a couple of things come across your radar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, it doesn't have to be a question, It can be a comment, it can be a picture. And Michio from Tokyo, Japan sent us a picture of a hydrangea that she felt was interesting and unique. And it is so the folks watching on YouTube you see that you'll be able to see it on our website. I thought it was very interesting and interesting looking hydrange I have no idea what kind of you don't?
Speaker 3: Well? What?
Speaker 2: So it is a smooth hydrangea. Hydrangea are ok.
Speaker 1: And it's flat?
Speaker 2: No, and sometimes they do that. You know, there are some that are much more mophead like, like Incredible, which is available in Japan, and in fact, a number of proven Winner's color choice shrubs are available in Japan. And what's so funny about this? Of course, is that Japan is like the hydrangic capital of the world. There are so so many wonderful hydranges that are native to Japan, Taiwan, Korea, and China, and the one that Michio has is a North American native. So it's a true example of how that grass is always green on the other side.
Speaker 1: And that's probably why she found it in.
Speaker 2: Yes, because it's so much different than although I have to say, someone did send me a photo of off of Instagram this week of some of our hydranges blooming in a park in Japan, so it was invincible spirit to Hydrangea and in Vinci beel we white hydrange of both of which are available there. Blooming in a park with Mount Fuji in the background, absolutely positively took my breath away. So we will put a link or some shots of that in the YouTube video so you don't miss that and miss out on that opportunity to make your yard look as fabulous as that is beautiful.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Mitchell. We also have a picture a screenshot from Wells Orchard here in West Michigan. It's a Facebook post that they put up about their apple trees blooming.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Granny Smith apples. So there's apples on the trees, but there's also blooms, which is crazy. And Michelle also sent us two pictures from the Luddington area of apple blossoms in bloom in the fall and lilacs in bloom. Crazy stuff. Now we have seen this before. I think it's triggered by drought and heat. We've had a lot of drought and heat in the Midwest in late summer September Stacy. I think that drought and heat can do two things. Number one sometimes mess up fall color dominic Yeah, and number two mess up the I don't know calendar or cycle of spring blooming for some plants, and that in itself also could at least diminish a few of the bloom's next spring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. It is always very odd to see, but it's certainly not unheard of. And it basically what it means is that the plant has created flower buds without vernilization, and vernilization just means that the plant has gone through a cold period much like bulbs, and that's what triggers the flowers to open. And so when we have a reblooming shrub like we do, improven winters like the bloomerang lilacs or lets dans hydrangs. The reason that those are reblooming, or why they bloom on new wood as well as on old wood, is because those new wood flowers don't require vernalization. And so what's happened here is these plants are blooming without somewhat without vernilization. They're not, like you know, in full bloom and absolutely covered in flowers, just a bit here and there, But it is not unheard of. Always a little bit distressing, especially when it has been as hot and as dry for as long as it has been here. But nature does crazy things. What can I say, you.
Speaker 1: Bet, carl Assis, Do I need to prune small shrubs like arrowood, viburnum or nine bark to make them more dense or will they take care of that on their own. They were planted last year, so they're in their creep year. I'm trying to listen to Stacy and not touch them.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, now you know, I'm not a fan of like needlessly pruning stuff just because you want to. But it is true that pruning does make shrubs bushier. Every time that you prune off the top of a plant, it will branch out below that and you will get greater bushiness. And I think as more and more people sometimes purchase plants online, you're usually getting smaller plants. And when, especially with shrubs, when you get a smaller shrub, the amount of time that a grower would have spent trimming it and building it into a bigger and bushier and more full shrub, that's not there to actually do that yourself. So it is totally fine. If you feel as though they need, you know, a little bit more bushiness, go ahead and prune them. But do be aware that both aerowood viburnum and nine bark bloom on old wood, So if you want to see the flowers, you're gonna want to do this after they bloom. If you don't care about the flowers and you're just willing to sacrifice it for you know, getting a nice full shrub, no problem. Just do it in spring with the aerowood viburnum, though, do be aware that, of course, because that is a flowering and fruiting shrub, that if you prune it after it blooms, you will be removing the ability for it to actually set fruit. But again, these are just esthetic considerations, not plant health considerations, and you can safely prune these back by up to half, even a little bit more if you need to. It's really going to depend on the look that you're going for and what you're dealing with already.
Speaker 1: And I agree waiting with the pruning, but go ahead and prune. I see no problem with doing that pruning. Stacy. Martha sends us a long note here. She's from Zone six A and I love this, Martha. Thank you very mult She went out and got a soil test based on our record.
Speaker 2: I know, I was so excited, so thank you for doing that, Martha. That means a lot. It's good to know that people are actually doing that. Even though Martha's soil test results were maybe not quite ideal, it's still good to know what you're dealing with. Because Martha found out that her soil is a pH of seven point six, which is pretty high.
Speaker 1: That's high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So anything above seven is alkaline or basic, anything below seven is can it be acidic? Most plants prefer soil on the acidic side because that is where the most nutrients are available to them. She also found out that her soil is very high in magnesium, which can happen for a number of reasons. It can just be your water. It can be due especially if you have a hard water in your area. It can be due to just the parent material or whatever rock formation it was that your soil was created from. Can also be created through the use of limestone if you were using that to lower or to raise your pitch, which hopefully wasn't the case because if so, that was way overused to get your soil up into at seven point six. But the high magnesium is a concern because that can induce deficiencies of other nutrients because it ties up the plant's ability to take up other nutrients. But what Martha is actually asking is, you know they gave her, they said, hey, use this fertilizer three two zero, And she says, what fertilizer should I use? And I have to say, Rick, I have never seen a three two zero fertilizer for sale in my life. So Extension, I'm sure is well meaning and saying this would be the ideal fertilizer, But I don't think that most consumers are going to be able to find. You know, as a homeowner, you're going to be able to find a fertilizer anything like that. But you know, definitely read the labels of the fertilizers that are available at your gardens ter make sure they do not contain magnesium, because some will have trace elements or trace nutrients in them. So you're going to want one that does not contain magnesium, so that you're sure to not you know, increase that issue. But then Martha goes on to ask, you know, so I'm sorry, we don't have an exact recommendation for you. They're just recommending sort of the ideal, so get as close as you can, and you know, the low potassium could resolve itself with the magnesium going down, which it will in time because magnesium does tie up potassium in the soil. So how you'll apply that will depend. It will probably be a granular. I would personally just broadcast that in probably late March myself, and then you ask how Martha asks how soon can she plant after the fertilizer has been applied, and I would say, again, apply that in about late March when your soil is starting to thaw. And if you give that probably two to three weeks for you know, rain and everything to weather that fertilizer. I think think you should be good to plant.
Speaker 1: I'd say, you know, the big issue here for me when I look at this is the soil pH at seven point six, and I would question it. Now. I'm not saying, Martha that the test was not taken appropriately. However, in our soil test show, we talked about the fact that you want to take multiple samples, and the samples that you take are very very important to get a good reading on the lawn. Seven point six is pretty high. Now, if you're comfortable that the soil test taken was done with plenty of samples so that that's an accurate reading of the soil, just make sure of that before you start applying something like aluminum sulfate to try and bring that pH down right.
Speaker 2: And you know, I would also say that plants can grow at a soil pH of seven point six. And you know, of course you're not going to be growing blueberries, You're not going to be growing rhododendrons and all of those plants that we know loves. But overall, most plants are pretty flexible in their pH as long as it's not extreme. So like if you're in that six to eight range, you can grow most plants now, if you start to see nutrient deficiencies, you will know that those are like yellowing foliage or unhealthy growth. You will know that's a result of nutrients that are being tied up at that pH level and that is something that can easily be remedied with by applying fertilizer regularly and eventually it will sort itself out. You know, that's not a long term solution, but if you if you do want to take that pH down, like Rick said, with aluminium sulfate, you can use fertilizer on the plants that are showing signs of that pH level issue. And of course, for at this point in your gardens, steer clear of anything that you know is notoriously acid loving. So we're going to take a little break. When we come back, we've got a special guest, so you won't want to miss it. We'll hope you come back. The Gardening Simplified Show is brought to you by proven Winners Color Choice Shrubs. Our award winning flowering shrubs in evergreens have been trialed and tested for your success so you enjoy more beauty and less work. Look for proven Winners Color Choice Shrubs and the distinctive white container at your local garden center.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to The Gardening Simplified Show today for our Branching News segment in interview with Jenny Rose Carrie. Jenny Rose Carrie is a horticulturist, a speaker, and an author a couple of books, Gloria Shade and The Ultimate Flower Gardener's Guide. They're currently available for purchase through her website Jennyrosecarrie dot com and Amazon. Jenny is working on a new book on bulbs to release sometime in September twenty twenty five. Jenny, thanks so much for joining us on The Gardening Simplified Show.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me. I'm likely to talk about whatever we'll end up talking about.
Speaker 1: Thanks for all the work you do as a horticulturist, a speaker, and an author. I follow you on Instagram and you're the person with that icond of pink hat. How did that come along? Every time I see you, you're wearing that pink hat's what's the story behind that? Well?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm very into colors altogether, and I have had different phases over the course of my life. I had a red phase and then a green phase, and there's probably a put of phase and you know, and then each one of my family, you know, it's like two families choose their toothbrushes by color, and you you know, it's like, do you know what color your toothbrush is? If you do, you're a color person, you know, and then it just won't do to have, you know, a yellow toothbrush, you know, and then you get muddled up. So it was sort of like self preservation that I always got my pink toothbrush and my pink hat and my you know, I knew it was mine and no one else was going to use it. But more to the point, I love think it makes me happy, and I try and encourage people to do the same thing in their gardens, because if you are a color person, I know, the color of your toothbrush, then you want to go for you know, swaps of your favorite color in the garden or accessories or benches, and they'll just make you happy every time you go out to your garden.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. We we were talking on today's show about bulbs, and you know, I personally have a real interest in bulbs because my parents were from the Netherlands. They survived the hunger winter of nineteen forty four forty five. As a matter of fact, my parents ate tulip bulbs to stay alive during World War Two. I love bulbs because there's such variety and they're so beautiful in our landscape. It must be that you feel people in general love bulbs based on the fact that you're writing a book about bulbs. Why do we love them so much? Jenny Well?
Speaker 3: I grew up in England, as you can probably tell from the accent, and I think we've been buying bolves from the Netherlands for centuries now, you know, because you do such a good job of producing them, and there is just something special about them because you plant this sort of anonymous brown package in the ground and then you just like, oh when sometimes sometimes it all you know, something will happen, but you go about your day, and you go about your you know, next couple of months, and then all of a sudden you look back at that spot and there's a green shoot, and then all of a sudden there's an amazing colored flower popping out of the ground. And it's sort of like, I don't know, delayed gratification or something like that. But also it may are just you know, they're in the moment. They're in the moment. And one when you look at the daffodil, you know it's spring when you look at you know, now in my garden, I say dahlia, but no one can think that, you know, I can understand what dahlia now right now, my you know, my cupping garden and my varose gardens are four of dahlia's and I've got two barrows out and I've got you know, all these things, oh gladiolus. But I popped up on Instagram the other day with a lovely white outside and a pink center, and you know, there's there's nothing quite like it for just a real bloom power.
Speaker 2: And speaking to the season, I think, you know, you make a great point because especially nowadays, you know, there we live in a kind of largely seasonless society. You know, you can get any type of produce anytime of the year pretty much, and you know, you can go to a florist and find flower out of season for almost anything. But you know what, you don't really see daffodils out of season, and you know, you don't really have these other plants just popping up and they are one of those things that truly are just completely rooted in the springtime.
Speaker 3: Well or in their season. So you know, like dailias, the best stalyi as you can get are in the autumn, you know, summer into autumn, unless you fly them around the world, you know, which we're trying not to do. We're trying to grow local and use our flowers from local you know, growers, and support them. But you know, I am a very big proponent, and in all of my books, I have sections where I divide up and tell you these things are going to be in flower at this season and they will go together like this. If you put them in the same bed or adjacent beds or adjacent pops, you know, these will combine well, they'll flower at the same time.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Pick your tall one and your flat one and you're run on all these things and then they'll look lovely together. So I spend a lot of time encouraging seasonality, especially in well produced as well, because like we have a strawberry patch, and there's nothing like a fresh strawberry or a fresh tomato tomato, you know, to make you understand how to relish the moment and exact sort of you know, to me, if I buy strawberries all year round, then you know, where's the joy in that. It's sort of like we are in such a rush and everything like that. There's so much going on in the world that makes us all anxious and everything like that to have these little calming moments of our first you know, the first daffodil, you know, the first crotus, the first anything. And that's why I really encourage people to plant them, because there's nothing like after the winter in particular, as you know, going outside there's still a chill in the air, and then you just walk outside and you see just a little touch of white or purple or yellow, and you're like, oh, yes, I think the year is going to be okay, you know. Ready as the hope message. Really, I think.
Speaker 1: We're being inspired by Jenny Rose Carey. She's a horticulturist, speaker, and author. Jenny I always get a kick out of the fact that we kind of loosely define a lot of these plants as bulbs, but in reality we're talking about corms and tubers and rhizomes and true bulbs. I do think it causes some confusion for people.
Speaker 3: Yes, I would agree, and I've spent a long time thinking before I wrote the book about this. In the gardening world, and for most gardeners, you call them all bulbs because they are sort of brownish, maybe a bit purple or cream, but they're you know, leaning towards the brown, and they are, you know, a discreet like a little plant in miniature and you can plant it in the in the soil and up it comes and does its own thing. So you know, they're all storage units. I am a biologist, and my dad and uncle were all botanists, and you know, we would debate about whether it was a tuberous route. Oh no, it's not a tuberous route. It must be a risomotous route, you know. But you know, most people couldn't give a hoot about whether it was one or the other. So I've called them all bobs in the text, I've you know, gone through you know, what is a corm for those and those people at once know otherwise you skip that bit because it, you know, smacks too much of bio one oh one, and you move on and look at the pretty pictures. So you know, I've given you, I've given it to you. In the book. But it's not you know, you don't have to. I don't feel like I have to belabor the point because they they whatever they do, the plant has figured out that it is a wonderful way to get through in clement weather. So they all have the same function. Whether they are summer dormant or winter dormant, they are all a coping mechanism for getting that plant through the time, either of hot and dry or cold weather, and then allowing it to pop up at the right season of the year. So you know, it's a storage unit when it boils down to it and what was inside it, you know, is less relevant to us than it is to the plant.
Speaker 1: I love that, and that's well said, really well said. You know, I personally have coping mechanisms to get through winter this season that I really don't care all that much for. But Jenny, a question for you. So you're writing this book on Bob's going to be released in September twenty twenty five. Jenny has a couple of other books, Gloria Shade and The Ultimate Flower Gardener's Guide. Ask you an unfair question. So you're working on the bulb book, give me two bulbs that are absolute favorites of yours that you must have in your garden, regardless of what happens. I have to have these two. Share those with our viewers and listeners.
Speaker 3: Ooh, can I have three?
Speaker 1: You can have three bonus down.
Speaker 3: I'm a negotiator, okay, I like it. So the one that gets me through like the winter months, because I'm like you, I really am not a winter plan. And you know, so the one I that starts blooming for me around Thanksgiving not the same bulb itself, but different ones within the snowdrop genus. So that's the genus Galantus snow drops. And if you live in the at south, then you might grow snow flakes which are very similar. They're white and dangly. So they get me through the winter. And I have set about whether it has one green dot, two green dots, you know, you know, whether it's a double, whether it's a single, loose sort of things, and that keeps me going through the winter. And then the daffodils are a real favorite because no deer eat them, you know, no rabbits eat them. And you know, I have a lot of wildlife in my garden because my garden for wildlife and they come in such a great diversity that there's something for every garden, and there's some that you know, like cold weather better and some that do well in warm weather, like the tazettas. So I can obsess about daffodils because I get my first daffodil out usually January or February, and then the last one in May, so that gives me a good few months for that, and so that would get through that bit of the year, and then I have to say my dahlias or dahlias however you want to announce them that are in full bloom right now, because they're in bloom now and you always want, well, you know, to obsess about what you're looking at this minute. And that really sends me right through until we get a very hard frost. So they come out starting in usually August, I get my first one, and then really through September is the peak, and then into October if I'm lucky. So that gives me a good eight weeks probably of bloom, if not more of you know, we don't get the frost. And again there's one for cutting. There's low growing ones that people are growing more as an edging in a display garden. So you know, I love the cutting ones because I've got You won't believe how tall they are this year. I don't know why because we had no rain, but they are. I would say I've got eight foot nine foot talls Daly. And you know how many blooms were on. I really should put some up on Instagram, but it's you know, there's so many things in bloom. We had garden tours this weekend. We had one hundred and thirty five people through on a tour on Sunday, group yesterday, another group last week. And I really enjoy this time of year because there's just so many flowers out. All the ass were everything is out, yes, just for a rain. So that's my three. Sorry about that.
Speaker 1: Well, Having worked in garden centers my entire life, Jenny, I can tell you that I see bulbs as the ultimate impulse buy. People buy them impulsively. They don't have a shopping list with them. I think that's why the colorful pictures are so important, as opposed to buying a candy bar or some garden gloves. At checkout, people will pick up a package of bulbs, and I think that's what keeps it going.
Speaker 3: So I think that's a good that's a good way to look at it. But also think about how much better it is than a candy bar, because if you want a perennial bulb like a daffodil, that will come up four years, and if you choose one that's really adapted to your conditions, it will be generations. I have daffodils in my garden that were in my husband's great grandmother's garden that we've that and so, you know, a candy bar here and there, as much as I love my candy bars, but you know something else, if you find the ones that really suit your growing conditions, you can dig and divide them after a few years and make you know, three clumps instead of one, and give one to a friend. And that's the other thing. They're so rewarding, because even the things like the dahlias, if they do well for you and you can figure out how to overwinter in which I've put all of us in the book, all the tips and tricks that I've learned over the years. Or if you decide not to owe with them, that's fine because of treatment as an annual, but if you do dig them up and divide them you know, usually from one plump, you get two or three plumps and then you can share with a friend, and the sharing with a friend is always the fun.
Speaker 1: Bitch. Well, I can tell you I have difficulty resisting the candy bar at checkout. I do my best, but I can't resist a good package of bulbs. Her name is Jenny Rose Carrie. She is a horticulturist, speaker and author Just a Delight. Look for at Jenny Rosecarrie dot com. Look for books also on Amazon Jenny, good luck with the bulb book. We look forward to seeing it in September of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you so much. It's been fun talking with you, and anytime you want to talk gardening, this is what I love to do. So thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Thank you so.
Speaker 2: Much, well Rick for a moment there, I thought that you were going to say that you can't resist a canna, not a candy bar, and I know both things are true. So thank you so much to Jenny for your time and expertise. Thank you Rick, thank you Adriana, and thanks so much to all of you. We hope you have a wonderful week ahead.