Speaker 1: This is Later with Lee Matthews. It's Lee Matthews Podcast.
Speaker 2: More of what you hear from news Radio one thousand KT Okay.
Speaker 1: You've seen him in so many things, whether it's The Rookie of the Day after Tomorrow, Traffic Vantage, my favorite, The Right Stuff where he played Oklahoma's own Gordo Cooper. Dennis Quaid has just been in the studio to record a song called America I Love You Too. May have seen it on CMT's twenty twenty Concert for Love and Acceptance and it is out now. Dennis, welcome.
Speaker 2: How you doing there, Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: Love to have you back here in Oklahoma, which we'll talk about in just a minute. Did you write America I Love You Too? And what inspired it?
Speaker 2: Yes? I did. I wrote it. I was sitting around early last year that would be pre COVID and knowing there was an election year coming out, how we were sort of talking at each other rather than talking to each other. And I wrote this song America, I Love You Too. It's about unity, really, it's about coming together. I wrote it as a non partisan campaign song, if you will. I like to say that it's nonpartisan, but it's for sale.
Speaker 1: Nothing wrong with that. And you had some help from Robbie Kreeger of the Doors.
Speaker 2: Yes, we did a video of it. We had a block party and right outside my house, which is a cul de sac, had set up an American flag behind a bandstand and just did a block party concert. All the neighbors came out and we had a great party back and it was fantastic.
Speaker 1: How did Robbie get involved? Did you ask him?
Speaker 2: Yes, I did, Robbie. Robbie and I've been playing together or for a couple of years now. I've become friends that you know, He's always been my hero. The first song I tried to order on the guitar when I was twelve years old was Light My Fire. But it just turns out that I have a voice that is in the same register as Jim Morrison, and so I've had the pleasure and honor of playing with him around kind of charity events. He gives a lot of He gives a lot back in the community.
Speaker 1: Robbie does Dennis Quatus with us. You know him from so many great movies and one of which we'll ask about in just a minute. But his new single out is called America I Love You Too. A live performance that is available for download and everywhere. What do you think is the primary reason we're talking at each other rather than to each other these days?
Speaker 2: Well, you know that is I think something that's been building and building as the political parties get more and more separated. Used to have used to have liberal Republicans and conservative Democrats, and now it's become so polarized that it seems like we can't agree on hardly anything because everybody's got to get in line behind the party. I myself have been an independent all my life, voted both ways or into what, uh, you know, I thought the country needed at the time. And you know, I think people. It's not people. But in general, it's become too much about political parties rather than America itself.
Speaker 1: I don't think social media helps either.
Speaker 2: I don't either. Now recently we have seen free speech h pretty much muddled because of social media, and I don't think America is going to take to that very well, no matter what political party you might you might be affiliated with.
Speaker 1: He wrote it and performs on America I Love You Too. The singles out now you might recognize Robbie Kreeger also playing with him and Dennis Quaid is with us on news radio one thousand kt Okay and am I correct. The song is available for download.
Speaker 2: Everywhere, absolutely everywhere you can get music.
Speaker 1: I used to say go down to the CD store, but we don't say that anymore. Dennis Quaid, you were here in town not long ago production of that movie that you were shooting in Guthrie.
Speaker 2: Yes, wrapped up production in Guthrie. The movie is called Reagan, and it's about the life of Ronald Reagan. And guess who.
Speaker 1: Have you got? Have you got his? Well down? Well?
Speaker 2: Well, so, uh you know, he said, well a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was really a way to kind of a collect his thought. Let you know, he was about to come go about you.
Speaker 1: Well, I know, we had a lot of my friends and listeners who are in the theater in the theater scene apply for and become extras in that movie. And they were very excited excited about the project.
Speaker 2: Well, Oklahoma is a great place to make movies. They understand that there that it does help the economy. Uh you know, whether you're a carpenter, a painter, or you're a ranch or whatever. It's a great uh advertisement for your state for tourism and uh, you know it puts a lot of people to work, and uh, I just love My dad is from Oblahoma by the way, Oh okay, and yeah, my cousin is Geene Audrey.
Speaker 1: So when you played Gordo Cooper, who is from Shawnee, you weren't that far away from home.
Speaker 2: That's that's right. God, he was a great guy and I met him. I was in the right stuff. We're talking about the movie in Gorda Cooper, for those who don't know, was one of the first of the seven Astronauts way back there in nineteen sixties, and I grew up. He was my hero. Actually as a kid. I was in Houston, which is a city, and he was the youngest of the seven. He was like the rock and roll astronaut. I really thought that name Gorda was cool. When I got the part, which I couldn't believe I got the part. He turned out he looked three miles from me here in Los Angeles, and we became friends.
Speaker 1: Well, you had you had the right stuff for the movie. He had the right stuff for the project. And the right song America I Love You Too, that performed by Dennis Quaid CMT's twenty twenty concert and Love and acceptance you might have seen. Oh, and I guess I wanted to ask you how coronavirus doesn't seem to be slowing you down. You're still making movies, still making music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a great time to start a podcast platform, which my partner and I did this last year because we're making scripted podcasts and it's about all you could do for a while. You can make movies, but you can listen. And that's going great gun and I'm very excited about it. And doing Reagan was really one of the thrills of my life. In fact, the only other movie I could compare it to as far as my experience, would be the right stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, look for the podcast. It's available. It's called Denna Sense. Am I pronouncing that right? Dinnoissance?
Speaker 2: Well, it's called there's the one called the Dinnaissance. We're doing eighteen podcast. Actually, we have a descripted podcast called make It Up as Over Man. Mailla does Nashville to become you know, a singer songwriter. Uh. We have a Halloween series coming out. We have another queen called Uncle Dranch. It's kind of all our South Park type of thing that we want to make it into an animated show about a golf and Western singer who woke up out of his thirty year hangover and wants to make a comeback. Uncle Drank is played by Jerry Busy.
Speaker 1: Perfect perfect another Oklahoma boy, I might add, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I play Blendy, who is Blender his best friend. We have Luke Wilson, Kinky Friedman, who you may remember, yep, have Kinky Friedman. Blaze is agent and it's so inappropriate, it's wonderful.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, look for the Uncle Drink. The Totally Hammered podcast. Dennocence is another one of his podcasts, and you can probably find those on the iHeartRadio app wherever you find podcasts. And his new hit single America. I Love you too. We love you, Dennis Quaid and thanks for giving us some time today.
Speaker 2: Well love Oklahoma and we'll be back very soon there making more films because it's just a great place to do that.
Speaker 1: And we looked for the premiere of Reagan, which should be out in the next couple of years.
Speaker 2: I gather I well, yes, in about a year. You never can tell this has been later it Lee Matthews the Lee Matthews Podcast.
Speaker 1: Remember to listen live to the Drive weekdays from five to seven. I used Radio one thousand, kat Okay