Speaker 1: Hello there, welcome to the ned Palty.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 3: This is Nick and Ostasium, lead editor and writer on mal Shadow Lord, and you're listening to Aggressive Negotiations.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to the library section of Aggressive Negotiations, the Star Wars podcast on the Nerd Party Network that strives to expand your reading horizons and remind you that Jedi reading is fundamental. I'm one of your hosts, Jedi Master John Mills, and I'm joined with the erudite scholar of the Jedi, Jedi Master, Matthew Rushing. Matt, are you prepared to discuss an exciting surprise topic here on Aggressive Negotiations?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry, John, I was just trying to be really quiet because the Jedi librarian just told me to shut up a few minutes ago, so sorry about that. But yeah, I'm actually really really excited to talk about this. Do you think we could find maybe a room where we could talk a little bit louder for our listeners.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you asked, Matt, because I don't want to balance this show and editing anymore than I have to. So we will start talking at normal volume now, and you know what, you can start leaving us reviews at normal volume in Apple Podcasts and give us a star rating and review, and go over to the socials and find us at the Jedi Masters on Twitter and look for at join nerd Party on Twitter and the Nerd Party on Facebook and Instagram. And I'll give you a little tease here. I downloaded TikTok the other day because my daughters send me so many things on TikTok that I figured I might as well have the app to make it easier to open them. But that doesn't mean I'm going to post anything anyway, Matt. This is just a random sort of thing. I was in a bookstore the other day. I know, knock me over with a feather. They reopened a Barnes and Noble near where I hang out. Totally mind blowing is I was like, wait, there's a new Barnes. What so, whoever's in charge of that chain, bravo to you. You figured out how to bring it back from the dead. Now, whoever owns borders get to work. So I'm in Barnes and Noble, and what do you do you walk into a bookstore? What is a section that you're inevitably going to gravitate over toward I know you go to one of the same sections I do, and drum roll.
Speaker 1: Please it is the sci fi section.
Speaker 2: Yes, because you're looking under s four what Star Wars books are there? Thank you very much. It's a compulsion. You can't help yourself, right, Sure, you have to. You have to gravitate on over there. And it was really interesting because one Sunday after church, we go over there and we're hanging out. I gravitate over toward the Star Wars section and I wind up embarrassing my kids because I strike up a conversation accidentally with this woman who's there with her husband and kid, and we just started talking about Star Wars books. And she, you know, most of the world is a little younger than me, I guess, and you know, we start talking about she he hasn't read Kenoby by John Jackson Miller. And she's sitting there She's like, is that a good one? I was like, oh, yeah, John Jackson Miller. I'm like, look for that name. He's good writer, you know, especially in franchise work. He's great. And I mentioned as Batman books that he's also written that are really good, Batman Resurrection and Batman Revolution, highly recommend them everybody anyway. So I'm like, oh, yeah, Canoby's good. And we start talking about the Star Wars books and I realize as I'm looking at the books on the shelf, everything's got legends on it. There's like one or two High Republic books on there, and then there's like Mask of Fears on there, but almost everything is legends. And so my question to you is, is Star Wars publishing in trouble? Like? Am I blind to an issue with Star Wars publishing? Why am I not seeing new Star Wars books set in prequel era or even an original trilogy era in this new canon? What am I missing? What's the whole here? Or is this simply because I happen to look at the bookshelf at the wrong time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think that's a good question, And a big part of that is is you know, you're you're not wrong. There are not a lot of books that are coming out at the moment, and they're they're they're kind of few and far between.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 1: You know, in what's coming out, you know, you maybe get one or two a year, I think it most And so, uh, yeah, novel wise, I mean, yeah, the High Republic came out and and and did it finished, And you know that it wasn't necessarily a huge hit except for a small segment of fans which they liked it. That's great, more power to them. Glad you enjoyed it. Uh, But you know, in that sense, publishing had taken a big swing, right. They put a lot behind that, and when it did not do what they had hoped, I think they were kind of left a little bit high and dry.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The the other thing that's coming out, like you said, you've you've got the Dark Times series with like starting with Mask of Fear, as you mentioned, where we're telling stories for Man Mathma and Belle Organa and saw Guerera and you know, filling in the stuff that you didn't see for and Or Right, there's a lot there still for them, especially those early years that we don't know tons about. And then you know, like this year, this month actually at the end of this month as we're recording, is July, there's a book called Star Wars Legacy that's coming out, which is set between the Last Jedi and the Rise of Skywalker, and it's all about Lea and Ray training together. I mean, they did just put out and it's coming out. I have the review copy of this, and it's one I would ilokremen because it's great, because all the art of books are so wonderful. But they did the two seasons for and Or beautiful book and really well done, some amazing insights. And you know, whether you liked the show or not, the production value for that was bar No, the production.
Speaker 2: Value is tough. Not so yeah, I know the art of yeah, and the art of like you're saying, the art of books always do incredibly well with presenting, you know, the process with that. And I think anybody, regardless of what they think of the and Or series, you know, both seasons, would recognize the production quality on the show is insane. Yeah, Like it's really They obviously spared no expense in building that show. But I mean, I guess the larger thing is is I guess the philosophical question I would put out there is has the publishing arm of Star Wars lost sight of the fact that the way that you retain your active fan base is your cranking these out like the pulp novels that inspired Lucas, I mean, the salad days of the nineties. Listen, I'm going to preface this by saying, and I've said it many times, when Disney came forward before The Force Awakens and said they were throwing out the old expanded Universe, you can bear witness to this. Matt. My reaction was, Oh, thank god, I was so overburned with all of that stuff. I was so happy they were doing that.
Speaker 1: That is absolutely how you felt. I remember, and I am the conversations.
Speaker 2: I am not going to issue statements of whether in retrospect it was as good a decision as I think they thought it was right. That's immaterial. I think that I enjoyed coming up in the nineties, when it seemed that after they had success with the Zoon trilogy, they said, oh wow, we've got something here, and it felt like there was a new book coming out every six months. And some of them sucked, they really did, but enough of them were good that it was it kept you, it kept you going back. Okay, it's eight bucks, it's seven bucks, Sure, whatever, I'll spend it. It's a couple of weeks of entertainment for me because I'm a slow reader. But have they lost sight of that? Do you think that's the issue, is that they're two in their heads, and they're not just cranking it out and just saying, forget trying to make an eight plus each time. Your batting average is what you got to go for, not a home run each time.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just think that this is the thing. Like and Star Trek books struggled the same way in that sense, when you know the show was on the air, to write books that didn't cocked or dicked anything was really difficult because the show's doing written. You don't know what's going to happen, you don't know where you're going right, and you know, the publishing arm had such a boom in the nineties because nobody thought more Star Wars was coming. They pretty much had free reign. There were some rules that Lucas had laid down about different things. You know, you couldn't tell a story about Yoda. You couldn't do this with these characters. You know, nobody could die until you know, famously with the New Jedi Order. Then you needed somebody to kill, and they decided on Chewy, and Lucas okayed it, you know, so or he came in and stepped in in that series and said, hey, I need you to kill Anakin solo because we're about to do the prequels and I don't want there being too competing Anakins. So that's the reason that character guide instead of his brother Jason, which you know that does not turn out well for that run of books anyway, because Jason turns into be a huge tool. That's not the point I'm trying to make. The point I'm trying to make is is that which?
Speaker 2: But let me interject that feels really like Anakin could have done his grandfather's service by sort of repeating that.
Speaker 1: But hey, yeah, exactly. But I think think, yeah, it really is this thing where they're so afraid not to touch on anything that it's hard to tell important stories, you know. I mean, I think, you know, some of our favorite books obviously were the throng books that Zoon did and the way he was able to tie all that together. You know, there were some other books in the series earlier that I really liked. But it feels like, and this might be the thing. And I don't know it's because you know, they're still so active in that time period, but there are stories that seems like in the prequel era to tell, and even again even before the prequel era right in the sense of why can't you go back and tell the Obi Wan story? You know, like that seems to be the place where we're missing free reign, where it's like, you know, you have Filonian charge now of Lucasfilm Creative and and and this the co CEO of the company, and so he could easily tell publishing, hey, you can play in this part of the galaxy, and these are the if they're you, you have to run every story the idea buy me. But as long as I okay it, it's fine, man, and just go play with it. And until I say no, yeah, enjoy yourselves. You know, I don't understand why we're not doing that, because it feels like they keep trying to tell stories in places where it's difficult for them to get the okay to actually tell a good story there. I mean so that I don't know, man, it is a strange thing because like when we did that the the Clone War saves the you know, helped save Star Wars. I publishing I think helped save Star Wars in the sense that it kept it alive for fans and fan you know, people of this generation don't understand what it was like to go into the bookstore and see that there was a New Star Wars book there and realize that could be the only New Star Wars you ever get.
Speaker 2: Well, I can say that, and this will be a terrible way to put it, and people might groan, But sometimes the publishing could be the methodone to your heroin addiction, because you know you're like, okay, well I can't get the real thing, so okay, I'll ride this out. But additionally, I want to go back to something you said where it's like, oh, it's hard to tell an important story. The stuff in the nineties and even the two thousands, when they were playing in the prequel era, they didn't worry about the whether it was an important story or not. It was just about producing a story. You look at the tales of the Empire or tales of the Bounty Hunters series. None of those stories were particularly important. Yeah, they were just there and it was just to keep the franchise alive. And I think it what they're sleeping on is there is a tremendous opportunity with the Mando series telling side characters. You could have a Grief Cargo series, you can have a Karen Done series. You could have whatever you wanted. You know what, you don't get to make Rangers of the New Republic. Turn it into a book series. Yeah, throw it out there. Do the book series thing. Have that do some of the lifting for the fans, and then just make the screen stuff accessible for everybody else, just like Lucas did, where it was like, Okay, the on screen stuff is accessible for everybody, but then you and me we could go to the bookstore. We could read Karen Travis's Clone series, which I really loved.
Speaker 1: It was really great.
Speaker 2: And you know, like I mean, it's just one of those things where it's like they're so precious about it. I think they just need to just lose in their sphincters and just let it go. Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's it's hard, man, because I think too, and maybe this will change. And I think that you bringing up this question is a really interesting thing because I do wonder if this might change here as Folony fully cements himself being in charge, and I think it might be because he truly understands his vision for where the series is going right and the stories that he wants to tell and how it all connects. In that sense, like I think that there is a possibility that we might be able to see more in the publishing rather than less because of that possibility, because he can okay certain stories without worrying about stepping on the toes of anything that is planned on coming up right, even in it if it's in his mind as like a ten year plan, you know, like that's the kind of thing I want to hit. So I don't want people touching that. But hey, this over here that people might have thought is going to be out of bounds, No, that's totally in bounce, you know. So I do wonder. And that's the other thing, like right you you know, I I've talked to enough of the tie in authors on the Star Trek side to understand. I mean, for these guys to write a book, you know, it takes a certain amount of time anyway, and then it's got to go through the editing process, and so you know, you're talking like a year. It's worth of work. And so you know, now that Filony is in charge, maybe this will be something that will actually see a bit of a revolution, a bit of a resurgence because they understand the stories they can tell, which I think would be great, you know, I mean, like because like you you know, I one hundred percent under I one hundred percent love Star Wars books.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I have personally been reading through the New Jedi Order series this year because I haven't read it since it came out, you know, it's been a very long time, and it was just something I was like, you know what, I'm going to go back and reread that. So I bought. I've got the books for that. I've got the next series, which I think is a legacy in the Force, and then I've got Fate of the Jedi after that, and I'm like, yeah, I'm just going to go through basically the end of the Legends era and enjoy it. And like I'm a little more than halfway done through you know, New Jedi Order, and for the most part, most of the books have held up and I've enjoyed reading them. And so like maybe that's why too. You go to the store, right, and you know, those books just continue to be popular. There's enough of them out there for them to be popular, and they obviously still make enough money that they are, you know, putting them out with a new cover, you know, and because they've been redoing a bunch of those books with in the trade paperback format, because a lot of them just came out originally in the mass market papermacs, which nobody buys anymore. Everything's trade paperback now, and so they, you know, have a reason for people to come and pick them up again. And so I don't know, man, it does go to show though, you know, those those books that really stuck with fans, then it's interesting to see them still stick with fans now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that the last call I would make is that fans themselves need to unclench their sphincters about continuity because first and foremost there were problems with original EU continuity all over the place. It was one of the things that got tiring for me, was carrying one way or the other. But like you know, even when continuity got over written by something on screen, that's what people really need to just step back from. Because I could, you know, I could talk about you mentioned the Zon trilogy, Spardy Cylinders. I look those up, kids, Like the whole history of the Clone Wars was completely different in your head.
Speaker 1: Came back to it.
Speaker 2: You know, I always complained about Boba Fett's history, or the Mandalorians, or the history of the Jedi or anything even number of things, and then you bring in you've been on a rereading the New Jedi Order, and you're going on the legacy of the Force and everything. My whole thing is, I've been rereading the graphic novels or the graphic trade paperbacks, the collection, the series collections and stuff like that, and it's fascinating to me because there are so many great ideas just in those that you could mine. And I'll tell you a Star Wars legacy, which was its own series.
Speaker 1: I remember that. Yep. I read the whole thing Man.
Speaker 2: Comics, and it kills me because what they've done on screen means that they can't possibly really adapt it unless they go back and ret on the idea that Luke had a kid we didn't know about by the time we met Red and it's like that that's a little heartbreaking, but you know what, you could still work, although they'll never work in Mara Jade, because it seems like Lucas that was the one thing he dug his heels in.
Speaker 1: He seemed to really hate her, and.
Speaker 2: I maybe we need to look up if his heart was broken by a Redhead at some point in the past. Maybe that's maybe that's the problem. Maybe if we changed Mara J to a brunette, we can get her through the process. Here, let's let's discuss this, you know that sort of thing. But you know, Matt, if people want to discuss any other type of hair color that mar J could have to get her worked back into continuity. Where could they find you online?
Speaker 1: Well, you can find me all over the place on social media and the named Matt Rushing zero two here in the network did a show called Outposts about every single chapter the Harry Potter series. TFM Network got a bunch of shows talking about Star Trek with my good friend Chris Jones, and then I'm over there as well on the six of two club talking about all the franchises we love outside of Star Trek. But John, if people wanted to talk about, like what you're reading next, and maybe I don't know, maybe even get a hint about what might be coming up here soon on aggressive negotiations. Where could people find you?
Speaker 2: Well, gosh, you can find me as Kessel Junkie on your social network of choice. I'm most active on Goodreads and Letterbox because books and movies are what I love. And you can find me here on the network, co hosting a show called house Lights with Tristan Radel and Darren Moser, where I educate them on film technique, film process, and film history. It's really a masterclass that I offer to the two of them, because it's all about walking them through so they understand what's happening. Very very difficult task, but I'm pleased to do it.
Speaker 1: Matt.
Speaker 2: At this point, though, I realized that I did not turn on the dehumidifier, so all of my books Back of the Temple are starting to win built from the humidity on Coruscant. So I think it's time to close these negotiations.
Speaker 1: John, negotiations are closed. Join the Revolution, Join the Nerd Party.