Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app Number one. I'm really sorry for having you smell my pants. I just it was overwhelming to me that they smelled like China, and they because they are new pants and I didn't wash them, and I wanted you to know that that was the smell of my pants. It wasn't just me. It all didn't come out right. And I feel awful about it about forcing you to smell my pants.
Speaker 2: And I'm sorry. I don't even know where to begin with.
Speaker 1: Well, I have other things to get to, one of which is going to make you extremely happy. The second thing to get to is was the woman in the middle of the road holding the Bible verse sign when you.
Speaker 2: Arrived to work today? No, she was not okay.
Speaker 1: There was a woman in the middle of the crosswalk. I had a green light. I'm headed into the garage. She's in the middle of the crosswalk in front of me, so I stop. She's holding a big poster board that says Isaiah forty one to ten. It was important enough for her to risk her life, so I looked up the Bible verse and it's a good one Isaiah forty one ten Old Testament stuff. So do not fear I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. Basically, don't fear. God's with you all the time. Don't worry about that anxiety. Don't worry about that fear. God is right there with you.
Speaker 2: You are not alone.
Speaker 1: So I thought that that was a pretty good message to risk your life for, right out of the gate here in Burbank in the eight o'clock hour.
Speaker 3: Well, if any part of this town needs it, it's Burbank.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Well the fire, Oh you know, there was the fire. There was augh fire.
Speaker 1: And then the third piece of housekeeping I wanted to get to before I forgot was good news for you. Six of BTS's seven members have completed their mandatory military service in South Korea, so the reunion is upon us. The seventh member is lady to finish June twenty first, and then the boys are back.
Speaker 3: The boys are back, good, because I have tickets to something of Theirs. Do you a show of Theirs?
Speaker 4: Did?
Speaker 2: Did they already have a schedule out?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: They've been planning this for a long time. Okay, we're good at that. But aren't you excited? No?
Speaker 1: Uh, you thought I would be used to all be all about bts.
Speaker 3: Listen, I've had the life wrenched out of me in the first nine minutes of this show.
Speaker 2: I'm a I'm a whull of my former self, a shell.
Speaker 1: If really so me? Having you smell my pants, yeah, ruined you.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Listen, there are going to be a lot of questions from a lot of people about what that means.
Speaker 1: Amy King smelled my pants too. I also had Amy King smell my pants, right. She was also smell like China to me. Forced into she was forced into the labor Yeah, labor. A little traumatized, I know.
Speaker 2: I apologize to you as well. Amy, I'm sorry, but your red pumps are just the bomb. Ya start telling people to smell your shoes. I'm out. Just to be clear, I'm out.
Speaker 5: I have declared a local emergency and issued a curfew for downtown Los Angeles. So my message to you is, if you do not live or work in downtown LA, avoid the area. Law enforcement will arrest in the visuals who break the curfew, and you.
Speaker 2: Will be prosecuted.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm curious as to what it was that forced her hand on that. Why would we wait until Tuesday, of all days to do this.
Speaker 1: I think it's because what we saw. I heard Mo talking about it the other night. You know, the sun goes down and the people that remain are not there to protest anything of any substance. Sure they are the people there to cause harm, the people there for no good. The people there don't alute all the violence, all the things that are not peace full protest that the country was built on. I don't know why she waited so long, other than that has been the approach for Los Angeles in recent years when it comes to protest, whether it's the police response or otherwise, they give it a breathing room. They give it breathing room, They give it a moment to live its life before they come in. That's why you saw the LAPD hold off a bit. They let things get a little crazy, and then they move in. They're not going to show up right away. They're not going to make it look like a police state where no one can protest as Americans. They give it a little, they give it a minute, and that's what happened with the curfew.
Speaker 2: They gave it a minute.
Speaker 1: Should they have put it in the night before, yes, but they gave it a minute.
Speaker 3: There were several arrests last night at the right after eight o'clock when the curfew started. Things were very quiet overnight because of that, and then at six am that specific area around downtown was reopened for people. If you live there, you're not subject to the curfew. Obviously you can go home and if you work and things like that. But basically it was an attempt to get those kinds of people out of the downtown core so that they could not continue to do damage.
Speaker 1: I loved this article I read this morning in the Wall Street Journal about Gavin Newsom leaning into this. It led me to get to the next topic. The first topic, obviously is the protest. What's going on right now? Where's the looting? Is there violence? How are we responding? But the second story is who benefits from this and who benefits more Trump. A lot of people would argue that Trump wants to make a spectacle of Los Angeles for his own political gain which will turn into financial gain or Gavin Newsom. Gavin Newsom has a lot to benefit from being the name and the voice and the face behind the resistance.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because that was the mantle that Kamala Harris was trying to wear during the campaign, right, is that she was going to be the face of anti Trump. She was going to be the one that ran against everything that he stood for. And whether it was her personality that fell flat, her position as a campaigner that fell flat, her ideals that just didn't support what everybody wanted that fell flat, She didn't materialize.
Speaker 1: She was not the face of the opposition. And well, and that's the thing. It was weak stream with Kamala Harris. It has been week stream with Gavenusom, especially once you get outside of California. What kind of gravitas, what kind of muscle does he have outside of California with the Democratic Party?
Speaker 2: This is his chance.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a make or break moment for Gavenusom if he can show he's not weak stream, that he has the balls to put behind this resistance to the administration.
Speaker 2: It is the way he's going to run for president.
Speaker 1: If he fails, if he comes out week stream, you're done.
Speaker 2: Stick of forking them. Interesting.
Speaker 3: They referred to that address last night as a national address from gavenusom.
Speaker 4: We're no longer any checks and balances. Congress is nowhere to be found. Speaker Johnson has completely abdicated that responsibility. The rule of law has increasingly been given way to the rule.
Speaker 3: Of don we'll talk more about his speech and leaning into this leader of the opposition role that he's taken on.
Speaker 1: But when we come back, Trump threatening anybody who protests his military slash birthday parade this weekend with very big force, we'll talk about what that means.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: So the President this weekend is going to oversee military parade planned for Washington, d C. To celebrate the army's two hundred and fiftieth birthday, and in remarks from the Oval Office before he left for North Carolina yesterday, he said it's going to be an amazing day, saying that any demonstrators would be met with would be met with big force, and if.
Speaker 6: There's any protester wants to come out, they won't be met with very big force.
Speaker 1: That is a problem because you can protest in this country well all the time, whenever you want. You can protest, what it is, what the country was built on. Yes, if it gets violent, that is one thing. That is a definite difference.
Speaker 2: That's a line. That's a line.
Speaker 1: But in terms of any protesters will be met with big force, that's a problem in this country. If this is not North Korea the last time I checked.
Speaker 3: The good thing is, I mean the difference between what he's saying and what the reality is on the ground in an instance like that. I understand he doesn't have control over DC Metropolitan Police Department, who would likely be the ones handling security around a parade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I want us to move out of the what he says and what he means world of speaking, because we've been doing that for ten years. For the President of the United States to say that any protests would be met with big force is a problem and should be fixed or altered or tweaked. Somebody should go out there and be like what he meant was if there's violence and it will be met with big force.
Speaker 3: So then they're doing the same thing that we are trying to sure but.
Speaker 1: Then they're doing it because they're officially his mouthpiece.
Speaker 2: They said that.
Speaker 3: Obviously he was talking in the context of what we've seen here in LA over the last couple of nights. By the way, those protests have spread to other cities. In many cases they're small gatherings, but that there have been arrests in places like Seattle and San Francisco and San Antonio. The remarks he said. When he said those remarks, he was in the Oval office. As I mentioned, he was on his way to Fort Bragg for yesterday's big ceremony. There are protests that have been planned for Saturday for June fourteenth.
Speaker 2: We've talked about it. We talked about it yesterday.
Speaker 3: The No King's Day Nationwide Day of Defiance has been put to put together by a bunch of progressive groups. They said originally this they were planned before anything up and here in La. Said that they were intended to draw attention away from the president and to reject corrupt authoritarian politics in the United States. They have opted against an event in Washington. By the way, at least the groups that we're putting together the No King's Nationwide Day of Defiance said they're not even going to bother with DC. Interesting, listen to me, shows a certain amount of intelligence, Like, hey, you have the opportunity to do what you plan, which is to create what's the word diversion to draw attention away. You don't have to do it by getting into a fight with d C Metro police on the streets of Washington.
Speaker 1: So that's not what they're saying they're doing. If you're protesting, doesn't mean getting into a fight with DC Metro police.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: But the problem with these types of organizations now is they have lost the ability to control the people who do come in and corrupt their.
Speaker 2: Messaging.
Speaker 1: I hated that protest with the women and the hats.
Speaker 2: I'm not even going to get into the name of it.
Speaker 1: It was awful, but like that was a very large protest to show opposition to Trump that did not get violent in my memory.
Speaker 2: For the most part. It was peaceful and it.
Speaker 1: Was a showing. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I don't think there's anything wrong with protesters, no matter what organization there are showing. There's as long as there's been a presidential address in this country, there's been a protester protesting it, no matter what. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with Trump saying no protesting at all. At my birthday party or else you know there's going to be heavy force. That just that sounds like another country to me. And to me, the fact that these protesters or the No Kings people say that there's not going to be an effort in DC, to me, what that says is that they don't have anybody signing up for this thing in great numbers, so they don't want to appear to be disorganized and weak, and that to me shows intelligence. You don't want to say we're going to protest his birthday party and then show up with twenty five people. You want it to be the one hundred thousand in strength type of thing. And if they don't have the people on the roles saying we're going to show up, then then of course you're going to scrap plans.
Speaker 2: There's also about this parade.
Speaker 3: There is something interesting going on because of the way the media has already said they're going to cover it. For example, ABC News is going to do it on their streaming service, the twenty four to seven streaming news channel. NBC is going to do special coverage on NBC's news Now, which is also their streaming outlet, and CBS. These are the three major networks are going to cover the parade, but they're going to do so on their streaming networks. They're not breaking into regular programming, They're not doing any sort of special programming in order to do it. Part of the reason is it's Saturday afternoon. They make tons of money on sporting events on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, so this is not going to rise to the level of getting the coverage from those major networks.
Speaker 1: I will say that with Trump, in terms of his reaction to protesters, Mark Esper was really the guy that kind of was like, all right, let's just pump the brakes a little bit.
Speaker 2: When it comes to the use of military for any sort of law.
Speaker 3: Law enforcement is exactly anathema to what we believe in, right, And I don't know if Trump has that same mentality.
Speaker 1: Well, from what I've read, all the people the Mark Espers in the room have been shown the door, right, so there's nobody left to be like, hey, you can't really shoot These people are like, hey.
Speaker 2: He can't really has said the military into Washington, d C.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's part of the court fight that Gavin Newsom has now instigated with the administration is to try to figure out what can the president do when it comes to National Guard.
Speaker 2: We're calling in the Marines and we'll talk a little bit later.
Speaker 3: About that update, about where that case now stands and what the future holds. Maybe there's a decision of some kind later today.
Speaker 1: Well Newsom've got a little puppy slap yesterday afternoon, but we'll talk about that as well.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Do you think when you retire you're going to go to day games a lot?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I do think I would too.
Speaker 3: I have become spoiled because there are times when we have the opportunity to go, for example, to the suite and watch a game there, and that's always fun. It allows a little more socialization during a game. If I'm sitting down on the field, I don't like to talk. I don't either, so it's a different experience for me.
Speaker 1: Will we take a listener to the suite for an award or an auction winning item or something. It's for me not going to a ballgame. It is socialization with a ballgame in the background. I want to watch baseball. I want to not talk. I want to hear the crowd. I want to watch the game. I want to feel the sun, see the grass, hear the bat, hear the ball, the whole bit.
Speaker 2: Don't talk to me. Yeah, I totally agree. That's the beauty of baseball.
Speaker 3: That's what's and it's a football.
Speaker 1: I go to hear loudness and swearing and feel the testosterone in my veins. Baseball I go for peace and serenity.
Speaker 2: Broken up by bursts of activity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, little little, little little heart heart rate rises.
Speaker 2: Football. It's just three and a half hours constant. There.
Speaker 3: You get about a twenty minute break in the middle, but other than that, it's just hard charging the entire time. One of the other issues that's going on is the Trump administration. At least according to documents obtained by Politico and a report in The Washington Post, the administration is planning to dramatically ramp up the use of Guantanamo Bay once again. They said that they could starting this week, transfer at least nine thousand people undocumented migrants to Guantanamo Bay. That would be an exponential increase from the five hundred or so who have been held there off and on since February. Of course, President Trump had announced in January that he wanted to blow the dust off the old GITMO and get some get that thing used again.
Speaker 1: The official reason is to free up bedspace at detention facilities on domestic American soil, but to use this facility, which would also send another signal aim it's just doubling and tripling down on deterring illegal immigration to the US. You come here, you're caught. We're going to throw you in Guantanamo Bay like a tearst.
Speaker 3: That's the Yeah, that's the images that are going to be going to be talked about. They're about eight hundred Europeans that are being considered for these transfers through Guantanamo Bay. They're not going to stay there, but this is a place for them to reside until they can be taken either to their country of origin or to some other US.
Speaker 1: Diplomats are raising and waving their hands going wait a minute, Wait a minute, Wait a minute. Most European countries are allies. The fact that we're going to take these people and throw them in Guantanamo Bay. What kind of message does that send the people who have signed up to do battle with US?
Speaker 3: Essentially, Yeah, friendly European nations think and the majority I would assume the majority of the people from places like Britain, Italy, France, Germany. Those people are not people who are smuggled into the country in the back of a U haul van across the Rio Grande. These are people who come here on travel visas or student visas or work visas and overstay their trup.
Speaker 2: They're still illegal, They're still here illegal. This is ridiculous. This is a different kind of enforcement that they're looking at.
Speaker 3: And the idea that they're going to ramp up these transfers to get MO is going to cause some feathers to be ruffled amongst our allies taking.
Speaker 2: A hard line approach like they have been.
Speaker 1: And I go back to Tom Holman's interview with John on Monday, where John said, essentially, you're not coming into the house and taking the nannies and the gardeners, are you and let people know kind of a line of questioning, and Tom Holman's like, no.
Speaker 2: If you're here illegally, you have a problem. We'll give you money.
Speaker 1: We'll give you a thousand dollars whatever to get you back home, but then you've got to stand in line, go through all the paperwork, and everything.
Speaker 2: But if you're here illegally for whatever.
Speaker 1: Reason, student visa lapse, nanny been here for ten years, got a couple of grant, you've got a problem. I mean, it's a very hard line approach, considering that we have let this immigration issue fester forever. I mean, how long have you been hit over the head with the term comprehensive immigration reform, but yet nothing really has been done. I mean it's been piecemeal solution here and there, and then all of a sudden, To take this hardline approach when the toothpaste is already out of the tube is going to be met with severe, severe.
Speaker 3: Pushback, and we're seeing it and played out on our streets right now.
Speaker 2: All right. A lot of times your inbox is way too.
Speaker 3: Full and you try to unsubscribe. In fact, just last week, I think you were lamenting the fact that you unsubscribe.
Speaker 2: I said it last week to you, I said, I.
Speaker 1: Unsubscribe. I've said it numerous times. I love I'll sit here and go on my phone. I'll be like, I love unsubscribing from things.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: It feels so good. I'm like cleaning house. And then I say, you do last week I go, huh, all this unsubscribing I do? I keep getting like it's like it's like you cut off one head, three other heads pop up exactly and this is proof that that's exactly what's happening.
Speaker 2: We'll do that, we come back.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: We are always flooded with emails every single day, one hundreds, couple thousand emails, depending on what you do for work. There are times when it feels like it's under season. You go through and you try to clean up what you did in terms of subscribing to emails, whether you meant to or didn't.
Speaker 2: And almost all.
Speaker 3: Of those, especially the commercial emails you get from makeup companies or clothing companies or Amazon products that you buy, there's a link down at the bottom that says you can unsubscribe, or maybe it's managed your email choices. There is concern that those unsubscribed links maybe taking advantage of how.
Speaker 2: Trustworthy you are.
Speaker 3: The lowest risk is that somebody has acquired your email address and they're simply trying to see if you are a live person. And the best way to do that is to make you try to unsubscribe for something that awful. That's awful, and then they, just like you said, end up selling your live email address to somebody else, and then you get more and more of this junk email and jastards.
Speaker 1: Wasn't this legal action at some point where they put that it was a legal uh settlement where they have to put unsubscribe in these pitch emails much like the spam calling call it, do not call this exactly.
Speaker 3: Another risk, they say the associated with unsubscribed links is that they send you to a fake but authentic looking web page and ask you not only to put in your email address, but maybe even the password that you use for that site, whatever it might be.
Speaker 2: That is insane.
Speaker 1: Anytime I click unsubscribe and then they say enter your email address to unsubscribe, I X out of that because I felt like that was enough of a trap.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other thing is they say, if you start, if you click on the unsubscribed link that's in the body of the email, that might not even take you to an unsubscribed not even a fake page. It just automatically downloads about some malware to your computer gasters. So they say the alternative option is your a lot of the things that you used, if you use Outlook for your email, if you use your phone, if you use Apple, whatever it is. There are a lot of times the the list unsubscribe header that would be built into the button a hyperlinked button in a mail service that doesn't appear in the email itself. It's up on top, on the top. Those are usually safe. Those are not very little risk to those.
Speaker 1: Okay, good because those are my favorite because you don't have to go hunting.
Speaker 3: The other one is if that's not available and you don't like the email out of a moving car, set it on fire, set up a filter for the emails that use that sender the one in question, and hopefully it would send it straight on to spam, which then spam.
Speaker 2: Your spam folder just gets choked up.
Speaker 1: I was watching that movie that I mistakenly went to over the weekend that I thought was a different movie. It turned out to be the Paul Rudd male friendship dark comedy movie called Friendship, and at one point Paul Rudd's character says, I don't I don't have a phone. I have freedom, and I thought, damn, that sounds nice not having a phone. Nobody can get a hold of you, hold into anything, you have to look at anything. You don't have to respond to emails or texts or anything.
Speaker 2: Hand it over. We'll see how you do for three hours. Well, this is the freedom.
Speaker 1: No, you gotta you gotta cut off the you gotta cut off the addiction to the phone before you can feel the freedom.
Speaker 2: But how freeing does that sound? I remember when I used to here.
Speaker 1: I remember when I used to travel, like internationally or whatever. You had to pay extra, like ten dollars a day to use your phone internationally, and I didn't want to pay for that, so I just didn't have a phone when i'd travel and thought, God, this is great.
Speaker 2: I don't have a phone. I don't have you have to answer, but you just feel lighter. Yeah, ah, so not going to happen.
Speaker 1: Huh, you want my phone? See the problem with giving you my phone is you know my password, and sometimes you can't be trusted. That one time you breached my trust and put a Facebook post on it was nine years ago. Well I remember, I forgive you, but I do remember, and you know my password, And what's to stop you from doing that again?
Speaker 2: I don't know. We're going to break some news here, oh Amy, you may have this. Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys has passed away.
Speaker 1: Ah, he had what did what was he dealing with?
Speaker 2: I do not remember what he's all? I mean he had a lot going on. There was a lot going on there anyway, Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.
Speaker 3: Right up next the latest with the LA City Council members going after the chief of police.
Speaker 2: What are you doing? What can you do? What shouldn't you do?
Speaker 3: Michael Monks is going to join us. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap