Speaker 1: You're listening to an air wave media podcast.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant, very creature Part eight park Maps in Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. It's a creature known as the Luckness monster monster.
Speaker 1: A few weeks ago we had on Chet van Duzer talking about sea monsters on medieval maps. I really enjoyed the conversation and I joked that we'd like to have them on again to talk about monsters on land maps. And then a few days after that episode went live, I got an interesting email from today's guest. He's an art historian who specializes in monsters, and he's written a book about monsters on medieval maps, The Terrestrial Kind. I felt like we could have talked a lot longer. He's done a lot of scholarly work on both monsters from a historical perspective and from a sociological perspective. Hopefully you'll enjoy the conversation what he has to say as much as I did. I'm Blake Smith. This is Monster Talk, the science show about monsters, and to paraphrase pulp fiction, we're about to get medieval.
Speaker 3: On your monstertle.
Speaker 1: All right, So tonight we're talking with Asabmittman, an associate professor of art history at the California State University in Chico. He's the co author of Maps and Monsters in Medieval England and Inconceivable Beasts, The Wonders of the East, and the Beowulf Manuscript. He co edited a research companion to Monsters in the monstros and as if that weren't enough. He's also the president of mirk STAPPA, which stands for Monsters the Experimental Association for the Research of Cryptozoology through Scholarly Theory and Practical Application. Hey, so welcome to Monster Talk. And I have to say, after reading your TV it seems like you're being on the show was pretty much inevitable.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks very much for having me. I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 1: So how did you get involved in the serious academic research of monsters.
Speaker 2: Well, I fell into it more or less by accident. I was doing one of those I had one of those experiences that we tell our students we don't actually have that good research doesn't result from brilliant aha moments where things all suddenly fit together like they would in a movie, but that is actually what happened. I was working on medieval maps, which is the other main thing I work on, and maps and monsters go together fairly well and kind of stentated by and I didn't really know what to do with it. And I was simultaneously taking a course on Japanese is aight oh period woodblock printing. And I had gone to the library at Stanford to find some sources for this Japanese art paper, and the library where they have the Asian collections there are shelved in Chinese and Japanese. There's no English language reference points to be had, and so I was wildly in the wrong section and I wound up taking out a book on eighth century China instead of eighteenth century Japan. And I was looking back and forth. It had a map in it, and the map looked very different formally from the English one. But the longer I looked at it, the more I realized they basically functioned the same way, and that people had been I thought misunderstanding the English maps all this time by thinking about them as linear instead of as radial. In this Chinese map was just a series of four rectangles concentrically placed, and the central one was something like the princely Domains. Normal culture puts itself right at the heart of the map, and then next one was the zone of the Allies, and then the zone of the Allied Barbarians, and then the last ring of the map, the outermost edge of the world, was labeled the zone of cultureless Savagery. And that's got to be as evocative a label as has ever been on any map. But that's actually how the medieval English maps work as well, except for a key difference, which is that instead of having England at the center, they've Jerusalem at the center in England.
Speaker 1: Just gonna say, that's also how Atlanta's laid out, which is very common.
Speaker 2: But what makes the English one so odd is that England is out in that zone of cultureless savagery. It's out in the margins, surrounded if you look around the edges of that map, and a lot of others, completely surrounded by various kinds of monsters. And so then I started investigating the monsters on the maps, and then I started investigating the monsters off of the maps, and found that anywhere you look in any kind of medieval culture you will find monsters. They are not a sideline, not a weird and peripheral phenomenon. They are everywhere, in every kind of book you can imagine, and any kind of architecture you can think of, in any kind of decorative art, everything, they are there. They're in every kind of literature you could look for. They were really central to how medieval people understood themselves in the world, and so the more I got interested in that, the more I got interested in monsters on their own. That's neat.
Speaker 1: So have you run into a lot of academic pushback for focusing on this topic.
Speaker 2: I have less so lately, which I take as a sign of some great success. But when I first started doing this in graduate school, people would say, oh, what are you working on? And you're supposed to say something like I'm doing a Deridian spin on fucause analysis of the you know whatever, you know. You were supposed to be doing something that sent it very serious and within academic can finds very traditional. And I would say, I'm writing about monsters, and it took me years to figure out how to say that without it sounding like a joke. People would laugh, because no, no, no, no, I'm really that's really what I do. I'm writing about monsters. That's that's my dissertation. It's really what I'm trying to do. And you know, I did come across various forms of pushback against that. The most interesting one was when I was out. I was actually on a job interview. This was several years ago, and I given my lecture, which was on the monsters that are in the Beowulf manuscript, which has lots of monsters. Most people don't know we are in there. And then I was at the luncheon where they have the appearance of informality, but in fact it's all still part of the interview, and one of the committee members said, so, where do you see yourself in twenty years, And of course I had no idea where I'd be in twenty years, but my off the cuff answer was I would like to be the head of the world's first institute for monster studies. And they all looked pretty miserable about that. Well, okay, this is going poorly. And then after that a member of the department who was not on the committee, asked me to come to speak with him in his office, and he leaned across his table and he said to me, listen, Aesa, you got to drop all this monster stuff and start doing real scholarship. And in the context of a job interview, what do you say, you know? I said, well, I think it is real scholarship and many people working on it as an important tradition, et cetera. So but I I was flabbergasted. I was floored by what struck me as a very narrow minded conception of what scholarship is, which is to say that scholarship should be defined by the subject of study, not the approach or the quality of the results, Whereas I would say every subject matter is worth study. There aren't subjects that are uninteresting. Whatever you study, if you know enough about it, you will conclude it is the hingepin around which all global culture turns. And monsters do this just as well as anything else. And all right, they're also really fun and interesting. I agree.
Speaker 1: I read that in your introduction, and I thought that was a really telling and a story, I guess, a story that I had a lot of sympathy for because it's funny. Everybody accepts monsters, I think culturally, but as a as a form of entertainment or as a sort of what an existential thing to be a afraid of. I don't know how many people think there are real monsters anymore. Some do, I mean, especially in you know, part of what this show does is research cryptozoology. But for me, I'm an English major who kind of came to be a science junkie kind of later in life. And the show has often straddled the line between hard science and liberal arts. So it seems like your research probably went the same way. How have you fallen in that spectrum and how does your work go towards that in that way?
Speaker 2: Well, I am very much on the humanities end of the spectrum. I I'm married to a scientist, and so I've had a lot of vicarious scientific instruction. My original childhood goal was to grow up to be Jacques Cousteau, but then I took chemistry and gave that up. But I've come to these really from the perspective of art history, literary history, cultural studies, and so my main interest really is in how cultures have used monsters. It was one thing to wonder whether they're real or not real, and I've written about that a bunch of times in a bunch of different ways. Because it's the first thing I always get asked by people as, oh, well, did medieval people really think there were monsters? And so I've grappled a lot with that. Ultimately, it's not the question that animates my interests, but I think it's important enough that I've turned to it several times.
Speaker 1: So let's define a monster for this conversation. What is a monster?
Speaker 2: It's a fabulous question, and it's one that I really should be able to answer with a nice, pithy response after working on them for twelve or fifteen years.
Speaker 1: We've got forty five minutes, So do your best.
Speaker 2: I'll do my best. Well. The thing is that it's a term that shifts in meaning dramatically from period to period, and from place to and even from context within a single period of place, from context to context. What most people have discussed it in relations to cultural history have done is they've looked at the use of the term at particular points in history. So, for example, we can see how various early medieval theologians wrote about the word monstraw, which is what we get the word monster from in English. And so there are sort of two competing etymologies that they come up with Augustine and Augustine of Hippo says that monstraw comes from damnstrare, that is, to demonstrate or to show, and he uses a series of puns to essentially say God put monsters on the earth to show his infinite power, his ability to break the laws of nature. It's not that they didn't think there were laws of nature, but they thought, you know, a person with a dog's head was outside of the laws of nature and yet possible because of the infinite power of God. Etymologies of Latin words to understand God's plan for the universe. Says that no, no, it doesn't come from day MONSTRAI. It comes from monare, which means to warn, and he says they're warnings from God against sin. So this is how the question has been tackled by a lot of people who've written about this. They say, all right, in this period people thought that. In that period people thought something else. So you get into the early modern period and the monster becomes more of a focused on scientific Early scientific analyzes prodigal births, you know whether two headed calf or a two headed person born, and how to grapple with these? Are they portents of divine vengeance or are they the result of imperfect conditions in the womb? And these sorts of things come to be debated. But one thing I found that nobody seemed to have really done in the scholarship that I was looking at is say, when we use the term, what do we mean? And I think it's really important because I've come to think what most of us mean by monster. Not the cryptozoological community, and not Augustine and isidor, but the average modern lay person when they say monster, they think something big and scary and dangerous that does not exist. How do we know what the difference is between something horrifying, terrifying, and real and something horrifying, terrifying and not real. What I came to conclude is that for something to be a monster to me anyway, it has to not only be big and scary like a rabbit dog, and not only big and dangerous like a great white shark or a Tyrannosaurus X or something, but it also has to somehow fundamentally destabilize our understanding of the world. And a rabbit dog doesn't do that unless its behavior is such that it's well outside of anything that a rabbit dog ought to do if we you know, I spent a long long time since I think I've seen the movie and not read that novel. But you know, if the dog was punching in the code to the security system to kill the people, then it would rise to the level of being a monster, because that would be a moment of instability, when we would feel like our understanding of how the world works is now inoperative.
Speaker 1: You know that that's interesting.
Speaker 2: I think a lot about the.
Speaker 1: Metaphorical impact of what a monster is, and it seems like to me, again this is coming from being an English major, but the metaphor of a monster almost always represents this sort of perfect outgroup metaphor, right, And we spend so much time, whether we're cognitive it or not, breaking everybody up into in group outgroup segmentation.
Speaker 3: More monstrutal.
Speaker 1: A brief editorial interruption here. While this episode's focused on monsters and medieval maps, it seemed to be plagued by another monster, the nefarious Grimlin. After interviewing ASA, I discovered that nearly all of the original interview had turned into digital garbage. ASA generously came back to re record the missing portions, but even then we had difficulties and part of the interview broke up into hundreds of useless files. I did manage to get most of it back. What's missing here is a brief exchange about the ideas of race and science. We discussed the origins of racial ideas, the horror of eugenics, and how science got that wrong, and finally we came back to the question of could science and education usher humanity out of the kind of in group outgroup thinking it causes so much strife and horror and modern times. I return you now to that discussion where the technology was able to restore the recording.
Speaker 2: The term race itself actually doesn't come into use. It's a sort of neologism of I think the fourteenth century that's invented to talk about hunting dogs and only then makes its way to talking about nobility, so we hear about a noble race. So, for example, French nobility are one race and French peasantry are a separate race. And so it's only later that race comes to be even applied to say the distinctions that people might see between Africans and Europeans, saying.
Speaker 1: I think science is pretty clearly demonstrated that people are all the same species that there's really no difference between us. You know, these sort of cultural differences are way more significant, I think than any concept of race, or that seems to be the case anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the American Anthropological Society has a wonderful statement on race, and it's very clear on the completely culturally constructive nature thereof.
Speaker 1: Are these ideas out moded in modern culture?
Speaker 2: Would that they were? Right? I mean, you know, the Middle Ages had its wild men, which were these hairy, semi human guys who lived out in the forest and were both sort of loved and feared and hated all at once. Sound familiar to someone who works on Bigfoot, right. The Middle Ages had its sea serpents. We've still Gottenssi and Champy and so on, right, exactly. Well, the Middle Ages had lots of ideas about Jews, and modernity has not shifted a ton from that. Lots of the very negative tropes are still active. I think the most common of pejorative used to describe Jews in the Middle Age, it is probably the most common, is perfidious, which means sort of like willfully refusing belief. They thought that Jews understood that Jesus actually was the Mesiah, but stubbornly stoneheartedly refused to change their traditional ways, which doesn't make a whole lot of logical sense. But you know, we shouldn't really try and find the logic and racism, I guess. But all it takes is a quick Internet search to find that all of the tropes about Jews are still quite operative. And I've actually got two sort of two stories I could tell about that. One is a classroom episode that I had. This was a couple of years ago now, but I was teaching my Medieval Art survey and we had spent about a month discussing monsters, and we'd looked at the Wonders of the East, and we'd looked at Santa Gustin, and we'd looked at Jerome, all of these interesting texts, and we've read lots of sort of theoretical approaches to monsters and the monstrous, trying to get sort of conceptualization of how the Middle Ages constructed monstrosity and viewed monsters, which is one way that they conceived of what theorists often referred to as the other. Right, these are something who is not the norm, someone who is outside of whatever the sort of dominant cultural paradigm is right. So we've been talking about monsters and sort of this whole setup on otherness, and this was all, in a way a setup so that we could go on to talking about other kinds of otherness in the Middle Ages. And the next three units were Saracens, that's medieval Christian concepts about Muslims, Jews, and then women who were also turned into monsters in medieval rhetoric in many ways. And so we were spending i don't know, a week or two on images of Jews. And we'd read a wonderful book by Deborah Strickland called Demons, Saracens, and Jews Making Monsters in the Middle Ages, and it makes this wonderful argument about how in the Middle Ages they felt that the Bible was fixed, you couldn't muck around with the text. But medieval Christians had switched how they viewed the contents of the New Testament, because when it was written, the Romans are the bad guys, right, clearly, Yeah, But later on, let's say, around the rule of Charlemagne, the Carolingian period, so you know, eighth century into the ninth century, the Romans come to be rehabilitated. We get the first dawnings of the idea of the Holy Roman Empire. Charlemagne is crowned Emperor of Rome. They decide they like the Romans, so the Romans can't be the bad guys anymore. So they look in the book and they find a different bad guy. Those bad guys turn out to be, of course, the Jews, who are often just described as the Jews, this kind of monolith.
Speaker 4: And so, so what they did in the images in the manuscrips, because they couldn't change the text, they turned the Romans in the images into Jews.
Speaker 2: So conscious Pilate, for example, comes in the images to be a caricature Jew. And you can probably envision what the caricatures look like. They tend to be, you know, the most dominant feature is giant hooked noses, but they're also represented in certain other codified ways, for example, always in full profile, almost always, which exaggerates the view of the nose. And so, because they couldn't change the text, they changed the images. And it's a very subtle way of doing that. But thereby they make the Jews again and again into quote unquote the killers of Christ. And this is a trope that remained very, very common throughout the Middle Ages. So we were going over all this in class and I had on screen it absolutely horrifying image. It's the most extreme anti Semitic, maybe the most extreme image I know from medieval manuscripts. It's from Assalter, which is the book of the Psalms, and it has a section in it of the passion of Jesus, which is the period of his arrest and torture and eventual execution by crucifixion. And I had this image up which had the arrest of Christ. So this is the moment when Judas kisses him as an active betrayal to identify him to the Roman soldiers. But all the Roman soldiers are represented as Jews, and they are represented as horrifying the caricatured, yes, with the giant noses, but also huge bulbous heads and giant sort of goggle eyes that are rolling back in their skulls, and enormous razor fangs, and they're holding weapons that are made of giant bones with nails sticking out of them. They are absolutely monstrous and horror And I'm explaining that, and this is one woman in my class who was looking angrier and angrier. Now She's looked kind of displeased with everything I've said all semester. But finally she couldn't take it anymore, and she just burst out interrupted me in the middle of the class and said, I don't see what you're trying to get at. I wanted to say, lady, I'm not trying to get at anything, you know, but she said, I don't suit what you're trying to get at, because first off, that is what Jews look like more or less. Wow. And anyway, she continued, they did kill Jesus.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then she went on to shriek out the biblical passage that in every translation I've ever seen from the Latin reads, and they said take him, take him away with him. And what she shouted out was and they said kill him, kill him, crucify him. I later looked up and it comes from a sort of discray d translation which the head of the American Bible Society has argued may convince ignorant readers that the acts of the Pharisees in the first century are equatable with the acts of all the Jews throughout all the time. And there she was my student as a as an exemplem of that notion. And yeah, I mean this was this was shocking and and and horrifying and really quite disturbing. And actually so she disappears for about a month, no word, don't know what's going on, and then she shows up in my office with some absolutely banal question like was that paper supposed to have end notes of footnotes? I forget, you know, and I didn't know what to even say. I wanted to say, can you just leave? You know, right, well it's it's footnotes, you know. And then she turned to leave, and then she turned back and she she's said, you know that thing that every racist in the history of the world has ever said. She lean and kind of whispered like this was, you know, something intimate between us, she saying, you know, you know I wasn't talking about you, right, wow, Banks, No, I feel so much better. You only meant my parents or parents or my friends growing up or you know, my kid, not me. So not that's fine. It's totally fine. I feel much better now. But yeah, So these medieval tropes, these medieval biases and prejudices live with us today unquestionably, and by no means it's merely anti Semitism, that's a very common one. But anti Islamic tropes from the Middle Ages are still very active and you can find them in contemporary American media with great frequency. But so are tropes about Africans about Eastern people's the most common group of monsters, probably from the Middle Age, from the ancient World and the Middle Ages, is a group called the Wonders of the East. And they thought the East was what they called the East was like India and Ethiopia, which was sort of a generic term for North Africa. And the tropes that they had about the East, so to speak, which was this India North Africa section, were that it was this land of sort of decadence of wealth and sort of looser sexuality and morality. It was a place of great danger but also great temptation and possibility, which are exactly the tropes that are used in modernity to refer to the Far East. It doesn't even matter that it's a different East. They just take the same tropes and apply them to wherever the East happens to be in any particular time or place. So, yeah, these things don't go away, it seems to me often I feel like you know, anything that somebody ever wrote down in a manuscript a thousand years ago is just sort of there for all of us for eternity.
Speaker 1: It's just too bad that we can't seem to quite educate ourselves, or teach ourselves, or train ourselves, or better ourselves out of the I think very harmful modality of thought.
Speaker 2: Well, And what I would love to think is that if we could actually educate everybody, it would all go away. And while I think education does help, there are plenty of very well educated people. I'm sure it's true in the cryptozoology community that there are plenty of very educated people who are out there looking for Bigfoot and Messi and so on. But I think there are plenty of very well educated people who also holds all of these you know a thousand and two thousand year old biases as deep seated parts of their worldview with a sort of blinkerde quality, whereby they are knowledgeable and literate in all sorts of venues, but for this one, where they have a certain wall around.
Speaker 1: Well, we better talk about your book a little.
Speaker 2: Certainly, the basic way that medieval cartography works a great common way of conceiving the world in the Middle Ages was that they knew it was round, but they still viewed it as having by they the educated people, geographers, theologians, these folks were well aware that the world was a sphere, but they still conceived it as having a center, and that center was Jerusalem. And this came from biblical passages. The Psalms say God performs the work of salvation in the middle of the earth. The book of Ezekiel says this. The Lord God said, I have placed Jerusalem in the middle of the people, and around her are the lands. And some early Christian and early medieval theologians followed up on this. So, for example, Jerome, who's very influential theologian, writes that Jerusalem is situated in the midst of the peoples of the earth. So he reads the passage in Ezekiel and takes that to be literal that there is a center point Jerusalem is it. And this becomes more literal in some other texts. For example, some medieval pilgrims coming from Ireland and England leave us texts where they talk about the center of Jerusalem and the very center is a place called Compas, and that's where God placed the point of his compass to draw the circle of the earth. And this is one of those wonderful cases where instead of man following something that God did, man takes something that he did and has that be the thing that God does. So medieval cartographers had for a while been making maps by putting a compass point in Jerusalem and then using the other end to draw the circle of the world. And so then retrospectively they decide, ah, that's how God drew the world. And then that becomes literalized in this place compass in the center of Jerusalem, which they thought that there was a column there which at noon would cast no shadow because the sun would be straight overhead and it was right in this dead center. So the center is Jerusalem, and this is the sort of perfect and holy core of the earth. And then as we work out in radial bands, we go through sort of the main biblical locations which are around that, so that would be everything from Mount Sinai to Bethlehem and so on. And then we work out further and we get into these kind of normal medieval places like Italy and Germany at France, and then we get to the very furthest edge of the world and this is where the monsters tend to be clustered, not exclusively, but the greatest concentration of monstrosity is really at the edge of the world. And this makes sense from a medieval perspective, which views the world not as the result of plate tectonics and continental drift and migrations of animals and evolution, but rather as a kind of static product laid out by God, where location on the Earth's surface can be equated to location within a divine plan that speaks about the salvation of peoples.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: At the edge we find an enormous array of monsters, sort of particularly concentrated in the section between the Nile River and the ocean, which runs around the edge of the world. And what we get there are often the creatures I mentioned before, these wonders of the East, which are a group of creatures that derive out of classical sources. Herodonus, who's referred to as the Father of History, as the sort of the first major ancient Greek historian, he gives us an account of them, which he's actually gotten from some other authors whose works are now mostly lost, but he passes them on to Pliny, the first century Roman author who puts them into his natural history text, which has chapters on rocks and on trees and on various peoples, and it's got a couple of sections on monsters, which are quite wonderful. And they get passed on into the Middle Ages in various forms and in various languages, most notably in the Latin tradition. But they get translated into Old English, which my friend and colleague Susan Kim and I we very recently published a book on the Wonders of the East in the Bayolf Manuscript, and this is an Old English or Anglo Saxon version of that text. But what these creatures are are a lot of them are semi human hybrid creatures. So for example, the sinocephale, which are people with dog's head. Sino dog right canine is the from that same route, so the sinocephalie cephalae means head. These were fire breathing, giant dog aheaded people eating creatures. Some people call them cannibals, But if you call them cannibals, you've accepted their humanity right off, which I think is an ambiguous determination. So they are headless people. There are also people with one arm, people with one leg. The wonderful skia pods have one giant foot on which they run very swiftly, and which they use to shield themselves from the hot equatorial sun. So we basically get three main types, four main types of monstrous peoples in these one of these would show up around the edges of the world. We get hybrids like the dog headed people and centaur and fawns and bird headed people and so on. We get creatures characterized by excess. The maritime Ethiopus have four eyes. There are giants. We get creatures who deviate from normative humanity as defined in the Middle Ages by lack so schiopods with one leg, cyclopses with one eye. And then finally we get ones who differ primarily in behavior, which are in ways some of the more interesting. I mean, the images of them don't tend to be quite as exciting as the images of headless people or dog headed cannibals. But for example, there are a group of people called the Homo Dubie who eat raw fish. Weird. Yeah, I'm actually planning to have sushi tonight. But the dietary laws are a very major way by which societies define themselves. Think for example of kosher regulations for Jews or halal regulations for Muslims. Food taboos are very important. Many Americans eat meat but would look quite askance at what, let's say, while sitting down to have chicken and turkey, would look quite a scance at someone who is eating canary and parrot. Right, So, food taboos are a very important way that people separate out others from themselves in group and out groups sort of relations. And so some of the groups are defined that way. Others are defined by sexual practices. So, for example, there's one group who show up in this rather interesting and problematic text called the Travels of the Book of John Mandevil The Travels of John Mandeville, who is a fake, a fictional English knight from Saint Albans, whose text claims to be a true account and has all sorts of interesting ways by which it tries to trick the reader into thinking it is true, and it was taken as literal truth. And in fact, Columbus had that as his bedside reading all the way on his voyage across the Atlantic, and I think deeply impacted how he viewed the quote unquote Indians he found because it's a text about a European who goes to India and finds all sorts of horrible monsters there. And so Columbus anticipated finding horrible monsters and found real people, mistook them from monsters, claims, for example, to have found cannibalism, which he probably did not, claims that he kept hearing about one eyed, dog headed people on all sorts of islands. And you know, once you've conceived of people through this paradigm of monstrosity, of course killing them off becomes not merely neutral in terms of morality, but can often be seen as a moral good right ridding the world of horrible monsters. So the book of John Mandevi has a group that is wife swapping communists. You know, yeah, so they hold all property in common and share their wives with one another. The men share their wives with one another in common. And so again there's no indication that these people have any kind of physical deviation from Europeans, who are always sort of the prototype in these texts, I sort of The unvoiced assumption is that, for example, if a text says this is a person with no head, or this is a person with a dog's head, the assumption being made by say a medieval English reader is this is a person who looks like an Englishman but has no head, who looks like an Englishman but has a dog's head. So the prototype, the unvoiced prototype, is always the cell. And of course this carries on today. Right. Why do aliens almost invariably have two arms and two legs and two eyes and one nose in one mouth? Right, Because even when we're trying to envision the thing from as far away as we can imagine, what we wind up doing is distorting ourselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, we've talked about that on the show before. They sure can you imagine? I mean, if you look at the world, I mean, just the life on Earth, we're not the prototype.
Speaker 2: We're not We're not the template of life.
Speaker 1: I mean, look at Beatles, good lord, yes, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: What's his island? Biogeography Qualman David Kwalman argued that I think it was David Pualman argued that if there is a creator God, he really had a thing for Beatles. He did. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I made the joke one time that, you know, as Adam was naming the animals, he you know, he'd named them and then.
Speaker 2: He got to the beatles.
Speaker 1: Is that you've got to be joking, right, Actually.
Speaker 2: There's some very interesting medieval images of Adam naming the beasts. Because you get your you know, your sort of generic quadruped kind of things, the sort of antelope looking things and deer and horses and cows, and you get your birds and your fish. But you also when some of them get unicorns, centaurs, griffins, and so when they have this sort of moment of creation in the garden to beaten. Some of them, anyway, are picturing the monsters that we think of as already a part of this creation of God.
Speaker 1: When I think about monsters in medieval art, one painting comes to mind, and that's Hieronymous Batches Garden of Earth the Delights, which is just such a bizarre painting to me. When I look at I see something like the medieval twilight zone. I don't know how to describe it. It's just fantastic. Have you looked at that? What is that about? What's going on in that painting?
Speaker 2: I have? It is the most remarkable painting. I am a professional looker at paintings, right. This is what I do for a living and with my life, and it is the most remarkable painting I've ever seen in person. I saw it about a year and a half ago. It's in the Prado and it is breathtaking and astonishing and luminous. It's sort of late for me in terms of research. I've actually written a tiny bit about it, but it is a phenomenal example of the deployment of monstrosity. And the way it works is it's an altered well. It's set up like an alter pace. Nobody knows what it was for. We know very little about Hornymous Bosh. We don't have any of diaries from him, letters, anything like that. We don't have a contemporary who wrote about him. We know that he married the rich lady who lived in the big castle overlooking the town of Sertoginbash, from which he gets his surname. Horonymous is just Jerome, so he's Jerry Bosh from Bosch. But so it's an eighteen foot wide triptych. So that's a hinged three panel painting and if you close the panels two side wings, what you see is an image of the creation of the world. I think it's the third day of creation and the earth is weird. It's spherical, but it's sort of cut in half in the middle, and so what you see is a kind of flat earth, but then with a half sphere of ground beneath it, and then a kind of glass dome over the top, so it almost looks like a sort of terrarium. And it's cold and it's gray. It's all in shades of gray called grisette. And God is there, but there's this tiny figure so floating away into the top left corner of the painting, as if he's kind of removing himself from his creation. He doesn't seem very thrilled with what's going on. And this is before he's even created people. And if this thing functioned like an altar, that's what people would have seen most of the time. Most altarpieces were kept closed most of the time and opened for a feast days and so on. But we don't know what this thing was, and it's very hard to envision that it hung over an altar anywhere. But when you open it up, what you get is this astonishing iatis clamorous scene, or the three scenes. The painting takes its name the Garden of Earthly Delight. From the central panel. The left panel is the Garden of Eden, and we see a very youthful looking should be God the Father, but a figure that looks much more like Christ introducing Eve to Adam. And Adam is kind of reclining underneath a rather exotic tree, which is probably the tree the Tree of Knowledge, and Eve is modestly falling to her knees by his reclining side. So that's the first panel, and all around our wonderful animals is an elephant with a monkey on its back, and a giraffe, as well as lots of rather creepy things. There's a three headed bird, there's a unicorn fish. There's a sort of duck billed merman floating in a blackpool reading a book. There's a sort of nasty high grid creature eating a fraud. There's a cat that's caught some kind of grotesque creature and is eating it. So things are not quite as they should be in the garden where you know the lionized animal end and everything should be perfect. There's all sorts of scenes of animals killing and eating one another, and strange, horrifying creatures lurking all throughout it. Then we go to the center section, and it is this sea of naked figures, and they're sort of self consciously willfully supposed to be a global array. So there are dark skinned figures who are caricatured in terms of their facial features as African figures, so they're supposed to be I think, the entire world. And they're having all sorts of associations with one another, many of them obliquely or overtly sexual. There's a man who seems to be having sex with a gigantic strawberry. There's a couple clearly getting it on inside a giant muscle shell. Are people groping one another inside giant clear berries, and on and on and on and then the right panel is a hell scene, and it's a freakish and terrifying hell scene, not your usual just standard demons pulling in people with flesh hooks or something. It's it's a much more sort of specific and nuanced vision of a hell. So for example, there's a gambler and he's nailed to a card table. There's a hunter, but he's been killed and strung up by a giant rabbit which is carrying him on his spear like his quarry. There's a man, presumably lascivious in life, who's being molested by a fat pig that's dressed in a nun's habit, and on and on and on and on. Now the basic setup, from a distance it looks like a very sort of normal setup where what you have in many medieval tripticks is a last judgment scene. This is when at the end of time the souls are judged. The good people go to Heaven, the bad people go to hell. So you have a nice scene Heaven to the left, the bad scene Hell to the right, and in the center is a scene of judgment. What that does is it presents viewers with two possibilities. You can, you know, if you were good, you get to go to the left side, which it's on the left, because Christ is usually in the center painting or often in the center painting, and it would be his right side, that's his good side, his dextra side literally and his left side literally his This one doesn't work that way because it's not Heaven's is. We've got the beginning to our left. And if we read up, I think his caricature of our world, this sort of orgy of sex and greed and sort of exuberance of life sort of heedless and hedonistic, and then the right therefore becomes a future scene. So you go, everybody goes from the Garden two our current world, and then it would see him. Because there's no heaven to be found in this image, everybody goes to hell, and so yeah, bash for all of the sort of fun that looking at his paintings are, and they're incredibly enjoyable to look at. I think they're very pessimistic, very dark images. They do not hold out a lot of hope for humanity.
Speaker 1: How did they survive?
Speaker 2: Well, a lot of the bashes. This is the way they wound up in Spain. So the Netherlands, where he was from, became a Spanish colony, and the Spanish king E Phillip the Second, i think, seems to have been very fond of Northern Renaissance painting, that's the period that we refer to these, and so he had a lot of them brought to Spain where they were preserved in royal collections. And so in the room with this with the Garden of Earthly Delight, there are maybe a half dozen other Bosh paintings, including his wonderful haywayan triptych which functions similarly, where you have in the center painting our world full of all sorts of wonderful monsters and demons, but the demons in that image are actually dragging the people across the divide of the frame into the hell scene to the right, so it goes straight across from image to image. There and the Tabletop of Seven Deadly Sins, which is an incredible work of art. It's actually a tabletop. It's displayed horizontally in the gallery, and it has around the edges the seven deadly sins, which in mine l art are very often depicted as these sort of very grand personifications. So greed might be a figure with sort of claw like grasping hands reaching for a bag of money or something like that, but for Bosh, they're really ordinary, humble kinds of sins. So Anger is two drunk guys outside a barroom brawling with each other. Vanity is a woman alone in her bedroom looking at herself in the mirror, and in this center of it is a giant eyeball that must be I don't know, two feet across, and in the center of the eyeball is Jesus risen from the tomb after the resurrection, and you can see he's showing the wounds that he got during the crucifixion, and written around the iris it says in Latin cave cave deus videt, which is beware, beware, God sees. So what I take that as is that God doesn't only see like grand vast sins. He sees the tiny, petty little sins when you're alone in your room. So yeah, again, a very pessimistic perspective, I think, and a fairly nasty one. I tend to envision him though this is sort of all in my head, you know, but I envisioned him up in his wife's castle, sort of looking down with scorn at the populace below him.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine dining at a table that had gluttony as one of the sins.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, and there is a scene of gluttony on it, and then it's a very heavy set man. It's a sort of scene of squalor in this sort of poor person's hut. But there's a very large man who's eating an entire roast fowl of some kind, and there's a skinny guy who's guzzling presumably wine or beer right out of a sort of a piece of crockery, and so there are all sorts of scenes of gluttony in there. I don't know that it was ever a dining table. I'm not sure. It's in beautiful condition, so it's hard to envision how it was ever used, if it was ever used. But that's sort of a puzzle we have with all of this stuff. Who on earth would have wanted these things and where would they have ever? Well, it's good that he had a patron, so yeah, well, and yeah, he seems to have been very wealthy, so he didn't have to go out and get obviously not obvious commissions anyway. I mean one of the other Northern Renaissance paintings they have there is a Roje Vanderbiden painting a glorious scene of the depositions when Christs taken off the cross, and if you look, it has this beautiful little tracery that like like you'd see like the stonework in between a medieval glass window, you know, up in the corners of it painted in there. But the tracer, I feel it closely, is in the shape of crossbows. Because the thing was paid for by the archer's guilt. Bosh's work as far as I know, doesn't show any indication of patronage like that. So yeah, it's it's not clear who bought these things and why, but they are astonishing and the amount of vivid creativity that shows up all throughout them, it's really breathtaking to look at.
Speaker 1: Well, I have to say A said that the talking to you has just been delightful. I think we have to stop, or I'll just keep asking questions for the rest of the day. Let me ask you a couple of quick ones though, So what are you working on now or like, what can we see next from you?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm working actively on representations of Jews on medieval maps, which nobody's really done anything with. I'm also working on a project with my Collaboratorsism Kim on an astonishing work called the Frank's Casket, which is a whalebone box about the size of a tissue box, a cigar box from early Anglo Saxon England, probably from the North, that has on it scenes from Germanic Roman and Judeo Christian mythology, text in Old English and in Latin, in ruins in Roman letters, a riddle and a code.
Speaker 1: Wow, it sounds like something from a Dan Brown novel.
Speaker 2: Oh it is. Yeah, I've actually thought about writing a novel about this work where yes, it would be the key to unlocking the whatever the Illuminati secrets to the presence of the Holy Grol.
Speaker 1: So I guess the final question we'd like to ask our guests is what's your favorite monster?
Speaker 2: I got lots I love. I do love the Headless Blemys, but I think my favorite is actually a fairly obscure one known as the Donestra, who shows up in the Wonders of the East and is The text says that he is a soothsayer from the head to the navel, which is a fortune teller. It's a fortune teller from the head to the navel. And the other part is human, it says, which is puzzling in and of itself, because a soothsayer is presumably human. So he's half human and also half human ah, which fascinates me. But he knows all the languages of the world and can speak to people and knows the names of their relatives. So he calls to people to go, hey, you, I know your uncle Bob, come talk to me, and you go and talk to him. He talks to you for a while, and then he eats you entirely up except for the head over which he weeps, and so this sets him up as a kind of it seems, I think, at first blushed, like a sort of psychologically conflicted monster, right, and why is he crying? And one wonderful monster. Scholar Jeffrey Cohen has written a great piece on this, and he argues that essentially the doneestra has eaten a person, and therefore, since you are what you eat, has sort of recovered a bit more humanity and therefore has come to regret this act of eating a person. Another skullar Tom Tyler has written rather differently about this and argues that the tears are holdover from a different medieval monster, which is to say, the crocodile. You know, the crocodile tears, right, this expression crocodile tears are false tears. But I think most modern folks don't know the origin stories of that, which is that in the Middle Ages, the myco back to the ancient world. I'm not sure, but they thought that crocodiles loved to eat people, but loved our brains most of all, but that our skulls were too thick for them. To crunch through. Conveniently, though, they're tears which weren't really tears, they were ocular secretions. Right, We're acidic, like the blood of the Zeno morphe from Aliens, and so they would quote unquote cry these acidic tears onto the skulls of their human victims and therefore be able to break through their skulls and eat their brains. So this is another possibility for what those tears over the head are, and again its at I love this creature first off because it's I think it's just a great story, but also because I think it gets at a number of the most important functions that monsters have that presses on definitions of humanity, how much or how little we can identify with things that are unlike us. It's present over in the East, this far and distant location which the West has defined itself against since the ancient Greek period, and so I think it's an incredibly potent and rich creature and is also the cover image for my book on the onond disease.
Speaker 1: So well, you know, we did an episode on cannibalism, and I guess universally studies on cannibalism have shown that the brain is supposed to be one of the best parts to eat, which.
Speaker 2: I'll bear that in mind. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't care for it, but I know that it is apparently full of fat and sugar.
Speaker 2: Well, just down the road from where I teach up here in Chico State are a town just down the road from us is Marysville. And of course you'd think it was named for you know that Mary, but it's not. It's named for Mary Donner, one of the survivors of the Donner Party, and it suits it to a tea. Wow. Yeah, is there a Donner's Diner? There really should be, but unfortunately there's not. That's too bad.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you very much for joining us on Monster Talk.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate it very much. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Monster You've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm your host, Blake Smith, and today we heard an interview with Asa Mittman discussing monsters from medieval maps. You can find links to Ace's books, as well as interesting links about the art we discussed it the show notes at monster talk dot org or skeptic dot com. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic magazine. The views and opinions expressed on the show are those of myself and my guests and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Skeptic Society or Skeptic Magazine. Coming soon, we've got episodes on the Jersey Devil and some very interesting information about the Warrens, the ghost hunting couple portrayed in the recent film The Conjuring. So stay tuned. Do you enjoy Monster Talk, Please help the show by giving us review on iTunes and share the show with your friends on Twitter and Facebook. I'd really like to grow our listenership, and your reviews and shared links are the best way to do that. Monster Talk theme music is by Peach Deealing Monkeys. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Did you know that you can now subscribe to Skeptic Magazine digitally?
Speaker 1: Just grab our free Skeptic Magazine app currently compatible with iOS, Android, PC, Mac, Kindlefire, Kindlefire HD, and BlackBerry Playbook. Head over to skeptic dot com slash Magazine slash app to find out more and download more of your favorite Skeptic content.