Speaker 1: Imagine the place where you can escape for a day, get immersed in a world of rooms, inspiration and expertise where you can lay the luxury accommodation. Thank Kids cam fees from ninety five sets. Tickets are free to everyone and include all the attractions you've just imagined a day out at the Kia, the Kia the wonderful every day.
Speaker 2: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day with a smart all Day plan from board Gosh Energy, save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five You're O welcome bonus switch today at Boardgosh Energy dot i E Board Gosh Energy Know your Power.
Speaker 3: Estimation ANNELI bill twenty six hundred and twenty nine your new customers. Only thirs percent is scant of smart all day electricity uniates and twenty nine percent of gas See pocash Energy dot E for fourteesncies.
Speaker 4: Hey, Okay, just a quick note up top that this episode gets like a little like what do you like a little mystical. We don't not talk about the power of crystals in this I wanted to know as a genmologist what this ologist's belief was in the mystical nature of rocks, if she believed in it, so I hear her out. I also discuss the neuroscience of the placebo effect and how our thoughts can change our behaviors. It's based in neuroscience. Try not to at me about it, because like, I get it. Okay, cool Episode four, Ologies, Common and Hot.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: First off, thanks to everyone who's been listening and leaving reviews on iTunes and rating you're subscribing. The more you do that, the higher this thing gets in the charts, and then the people see it, and the more people share dumb science jokes. I guess, the better I don't know. And also thank you to everyone who's supporting on Patreon. I see you and I love you. And for anyone who had a hankering for merch and who's been to ologiesmerch dot com, cool shirt or mug or tote. Okay, gems, this episode about gems. It's truly outrageous. Well, it's pretty good. We don't talk about crotches very much, but it is a pretty good episode. So let's start with the etymology of gemology. Comes from ology, the study of in gems, meaning gems, but gems comes from an old, dusty Latin word for gems, which comes from the word for bud, like a cute little rose, only it's dug from the ground and it's worth more than your house. Now I knew I wanted to cover this topic for months, and so I started hunting down on Facebook for a gemologist, and I got in touch with today's guest, whose number I saved in my phone with the crystal ball emoji, the diamond emoji, and the ring emoji. Now, I'm gonna tell you secret. If you have an emoji next to your name in my phone, I like you. I like you extra more a lot. And this person is just as wonderfully warm and passionate as they come. She's worthy of the emojis. We talked about the difference between gems and minerals, what it's like to be at a blast site, what's the actual deal with mystical healing, from a few different angles, hidden crystal caves, some super weird tragic history of the figures in gemology, And because the beauty of gems lies as much in their shimmer as it does the weird dark mystique of valuable, coveted things. I think part of what's so great about gemology is that there's creepy stuff about it. So this guest is a gemologist and a jewelry cataloger at Bottoms and Butterfields, which is an auction house, and she's just lovely. She's just goddamn lovely. Please enjoy Kelly stek Okay, Kelly Gemologist. Yes, this is so exciting. I've never met a gemalogist before.
Speaker 5: I think it's a very small niche of a field, so I haven't met many either, except now that I'm actually in the world.
Speaker 6: But beforehand, before.
Speaker 5: I actually met a diamond dealer, I didn't really know what gemology was or what the industry was like as far as jewelry and minerals and crystals go. So it was I mean, once you meet one, then a whole world opens.
Speaker 4: Does a bookshelf spin open? And then there's a world of diamond dealers.
Speaker 6: Mind it, diamond dealers, gem dealers.
Speaker 5: It connects to mining in like Africa and Asia and all these different places. And you learned that, you know, so many people are involved in the process of getting a stone from the earth, taking it from the earth to a piece of jewelry or to a crystal in a shop for sale. So it's really kind of amazing. All the work and all the people that go into the whole industry.
Speaker 6: It's incredible.
Speaker 4: How long have you been a gemologist?
Speaker 5: I am actually a very new gemologist. I graduated just a little over a year ago from the Gemological Institute of America. It's down in Carlsbad. It used to be based out of here. It's also all over the world.
Speaker 4: Now, all right, I knew nothing about the Gemological Institute of America, so I did a little digging. Oh that's pun I'm sorry, Honestly, I didn't mean it. So the Gemological Institute of America is legit. If you're going to become a gemologist, this is the way to do it. It was founded by a guy named Robert Shipley. The website for the Gemological Institute of America starts off with his bio, and the sentence sounds like it's straight out of a nineteen forties movie trailer. It sounds like this, during the depth of the depression, a middle aged man was a little more than ambition and charisma revolutionized the gem and jewelry industry. That's his bio. He sounds dope. So Shipley was kind of a down on his luck jeweler who screwed up a few times because he didn't know which gems were witch and so his business failed. And then he went through a divorce, which I think was a big deal back then. So he split. He went to Paris. He said, forget this, I'm going to be an artist. He got another wife, her name was Beatrice. And in general, Shipley was bummed that jewelers often had no idea what stones they were working with. It had boned him in the past. He was upset about it. So b as she was known, encouraged him to take some goddamn gemology classes. And I'm picturing their conversations and I imagine them talking about this smoking in the living room. Anyway, so Shipley did. He went to England and he was so impressed with the gemology courses he came back to America. He started up this institute in the US. He sold microscope and loops and gem info booklets out of their apartment. He and b Man what a team nowadays. To become a certified gemologist, you can do it for about twenty grand on campus in Carlsbad, or a little bit less if you study it at home. Either way, you definitely get one of those cool squinty loop situations.
Speaker 5: So they send you all the school work and all the stones to identify, and then you go down there to take the scariest test of all time to get your degree. It's very intense. It's called the twenty stone. It's very like menacing, but you have to you have to take twenty stones. Whatever they give you, okay, and it's really whatever they had given you and your test. They'll give you one of those. But it could be synthetic, it could be an imitation of something, it could be the natural form of the stone, but you have to identify it. Do tests with the gemological equipment like a refractometer and a polaroscope and things like that, and then you have to identify what it is. But you can't get anything wrong. So if you get one little tiny thing wrong, then you fail. And I actually failed my first one from one answer. It was a synthetic emerald versus a natural emerald. And I had to take it again and it was fine, But oh do.
Speaker 4: You hate emeralds? Now? Are you so pissed at them.
Speaker 5: It it honestly made me just want to see so many more, because you know, the best thing you can do for yourself in dromology is just get your hands on as many stones as possible, because people are getting really good at imitating stones and recreating stones to make them look natural, but they're not. So that's where it gets scary with like actually buying gemstones or jewelry. You just like don't know because there's so many good fakes now and you want to actually know what you're purchasing or you have so no, I'm like, damn it, emeralds.
Speaker 4: How did you get so in? How did you get so involved in this? Like you've been doing it for a year. But were you always super into crystals.
Speaker 6: From a young age?
Speaker 5: Yes, my dad tells me stories of hanging out in the driveway. You would like, put me outside, and then he'd come back and there would be these piles of sticks and stones. He was like, I don't know what you were doing. If it was like some ceremony or something, or baby witch doing some sort of spells with the earth, I'm not sure. But I've always had a fascination with bugs and rocks and the earth and dirt and things like that. So I actually went to get a BA in the arts. First I have an art history minor, and then it's a fine art degree that's in printmaking.
Speaker 6: And I kind of didn't really know what to.
Speaker 5: Do from there what I wanted to do, but I always loved antiques and things like that. So then I went into the antique world, the antique business, and worked in some antique shops, and that is where I met the diamond dealer and understood, like, I love antique jewelry and the idea of the preservation of history and it's very sentimental.
Speaker 4: When you met the diamond dealer, was he wearing a cloak and did you have a mustache and monocle? Like? Who is this guy?
Speaker 5: No, he's actually like very suave. He's like very much a diamond dealer, Like they're very they're very like charming. They know how to like talk a deal and things like that, which was good. He was very very supportive and helpful and just like, you know, you love jewelry so much, have you thought of this, you should really look into the program at the GIA. And then I did, and then from there it's actually really interesting. My love is actually with minerals and how they come straight from the earth, the raw specimens.
Speaker 4: So this ended up kind of combining nature and art and history all in one.
Speaker 5: All in one, all my favorite things. Yeah, and so that's where I am.
Speaker 4: Now, how did you celebrate when you passed your second test?
Speaker 6: I cried and called my mom.
Speaker 4: You did? I did.
Speaker 7: I literally was like, I'm so proud of my solo because there was with the online program, there's so many different people from so many different walks of life taking it.
Speaker 5: So there's like older people that have been in the business forever but they want their actual degree now. It was mostly some older ladies as well, but a lot of them had a hard time passing it. So I was really like psyching myself out. I was like, oh my gosh, Like they did the online program, and I did the online program. How am I going to do this? But I think it's just so mental. It's just going in there just saying I understand the stones, I've seen them, I know what to look for, and you get to like use a microscope to look inside there and just like see the entire world of the stone.
Speaker 6: No cheat sheet, no cheat sheet, can.
Speaker 4: You wear any rings or anything with you?
Speaker 5: You're like, all right, I know that, I wish there is like this giant book you get to use. So what you first do is you kind of identify a body color and if it's translucent or opaque, things like that, like characteristics just looking at it with your eye, and then you go into using a refractometer, which is where you put the stone with our liquid and you figure out what it's refractive indexes. That's kind of like how it splits light, and that's a very big sign of what the stone's going to be. So if it's one point seven to seven, you know it's going to be like a sapphire generally. So each stone kind of has their own number which helps you identify. Some are very similar, so you need a bit more information, like use the polaroscope to see its polarity of things, and then you go from there, but you do a couple tests to figure out and then you have to go into looking at through the microscope to see does it have signs of.
Speaker 6: Being you know, man made? Is it a bull? Is that you know?
Speaker 4: From what do you tell if it's man made?
Speaker 5: Is it two parars? Sometimes like it's very eye clean. So if you don't see anything, you're like, well, this looks a little suspicious. Okay, so you're like it's either a natural stone that's been heated or diffuse to make the color better, or it's now a synthetic stone that is created through one of four processes with like heat and chemicals and things like that.
Speaker 6: So it's really interesting.
Speaker 5: It looks like this long cylinder shape the the synthetic ones called a bool, and then they cut it from there. So when you're looking in the microscope and you turn it on a certain access, you can see these beautiful curve strye, which is like rings, and that's how you tell it was in this cylinder shape.
Speaker 4: Cool, and how do they make them? Do they just put some carbon like under insane pressure in a factory.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like in this platinum crucible, and then like minerals and like there's a few different processes where they either like slowly drip minerals in there or they just have it all in this kind of mixture and then they heat it up and it's very complicate.
Speaker 6: I don't even know. I'd love to see how it's done.
Speaker 4: Are there any people that go synthetic because they think it's like more like cruelty free or like better like from an environmental or yeah, like there's no whole blood diamond sitch like, right, do people gravitate towards synthetic kind of like get tofurky on Thanksgiving? You know what?
Speaker 6: I think synthetic is more for cost.
Speaker 5: I think a lot of people want the look of a beautiful sapphire, but maybe they can't afford it, so then they go synthet and you still get that great look and it is the actual chemical makeup of the sapphire, but it's just synthetic and it's been man made. I think mining is hard to really wrap your mind around because there are certain governmental protection for the miners and the companies that are put in place, so there isn't, you know, constant power struggle for these or violence things like that. You can't control everything, so unfortunately you just don't know where all these pieces are coming from. But I think that's why for me, I really like a lot of the antique jewelry because it's been around, it's not new, it's not being mined.
Speaker 4: Now these days, people of course, are much more aware of blood diamonds so thanks Leonardo DiCaprio for bringing it into awareness with your film Blood diamond They're also called conflict diamonds, which I feel like there was someone in PR that's like, can we not call them blood diamonds? Can call them conflict diamonds. Conflict sounds less awful than blood diamonds. But these stones. The money was used to fund ongoing conflict, insurgency and wars. Now it's said that one in four diamonds roughly is a conflict diamond. But there were regulations, There's one called the Kimberly process, and some things passed through, that's for sure. I asked Kelly how she felt about it, and she said this, I'm very into ethically sourced diamonds, although I think even with all the laws and systems in place, it can be hard to truly know how diamonds come to find themselves in jewelry. And that is why I'm also a huge fan of older diamonds or reusing family diamonds. So there you go. Old is cool. Now, what's up with birthstones? And does Kelly even like hers? God? I hope it's not an emeralds.
Speaker 5: It's not the Lord. Can you imagine I'm an aquamarine. Just be spiteful towards my birthstone for the rest of my life.
Speaker 4: Though, it's how do they choose that? How do they decide that that's what month is?
Speaker 6: That? It's March? March?
Speaker 5: Okay, honestly I have no idea what the history is of birthstones.
Speaker 4: But all right, history of birthstones, this goes back to the Bible. Was not what I was expecting to learn. Israelites were a ceremonial breastplate. It was adorned with four rows of three precious stones, said to represent the twelve tribes of Israel. There's also something in the Book of Revelation, chapter twenty one about twelve different stones. So this goes way way way back. But in nineteen sixteen, a bunch of jewelers got together in Kansas and put out an official list. This is your month you were born, this is your stone. Suddenly everyone cared about their stone. It was genius, everyone except people who got topaz.
Speaker 6: What's yours? Do you know?
Speaker 4: Mine sucks?
Speaker 6: What is it?
Speaker 5: It's a topaz. I was gonna say pearl, but oh, my gosh, topaz. There's some beautiful topaz like imperial topaz.
Speaker 6: Is my favorites.
Speaker 5: It's like beautiful, like glowing kind of orange red paths and it's just spectacular.
Speaker 4: Well that actually okay, because every time you'd go to like the mall and they'd be like, what's your what's your mund and everyone would be like emeralds and dumonds and rubies and then topaths. You'd get to November and it was literally the color of like sewer water, and you're like, what happened? Why did they run out of gemstones in November?
Speaker 5: They just decided to make the probably the worst color topaz.
Speaker 4: But why are there some wired topaz is? Like, Okay, we know diamonds can be different colors.
Speaker 6: Topazes can be many different colors.
Speaker 4: The same with emeralds and rubies. What makes a gem different colors? It was such a dumb question.
Speaker 5: The chemical makeup of the gems. So whatever minerals were in the area, the heat and the pressure in the minerals in the ground, that combined create the chemical makeup of a stone, and that creates the color. So like vanadium and things like that can create a different color in different gemstones. It's all about what is combined and what was kind of like in the stew of this mineral that made it that color. So with like, tourmaline is one of my favorite stones because it comes in I think the largest array of colors, you know, like hot pink and gorgeous teals and green and blue and reds every color really, and so I think a lot of gemstones people don't realize do that as well. Like it's interesting because a ruby and a sapphire are actually the same stone. They're both in the family of corundum, really, but then their color gives them a specific name. So a ruby is the red form of corundums, stop it, and then sapphire is the blue form. And then you can also get into like the definition of a pink sapphire versus a ruby is just the color. So pink sapphire and ruby are the same thing, except when you have a red body color, it's then a.
Speaker 6: Ruby instead of a pink summer.
Speaker 4: Well, I think what makes a topaz different from an emerald or from a ruby, Like what is it? The structure of the crystals, the.
Speaker 5: Structure of the crystal and just literally the chemical compound. So there's seven different growth characteristic types for gemstone, so there's only seven ways that they'll really grow monolithic trilithic. There's seven of these in these structures, so you'll see a spinel or like pi rite and they grow into.
Speaker 6: Like a perfect cube.
Speaker 5: It's so cool, right, naturally just a cube, and some grow like with a like hexagonal shape. A barrel grows with a hexagon, so that also contributes to what makes them different, is their natural growth structure. But topaz is beautiful. In summer, I've seen like a kind of bluey green one of so.
Speaker 4: So nice beautiful water. That's a that's like a very like you know when you see like an ugly baby and you're like, it's gonna grow up and be fine, like, but topaz is like, al right, it's like but it's beautiful. They're all beautiful.
Speaker 6: They're all beautif.
Speaker 5: You just have to find the ones that really speak to you. That's what it's about.
Speaker 4: Are you pissed about pearl because a pearls not a goddamn gemstone that's just a dingleberry from a clam from an oystery. But do you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: No, Yeah, it's an organic product.
Speaker 5: So it's I mean for me, I like, I'm not super into pearls just because that they're actually cut from an animal. I'm vegan, but oh so it makes me sad, But it's also just beautiful that like an animal can create such an incredible product.
Speaker 6: It's just this natural.
Speaker 4: But it's not a gem or is it a gem? What's a gem exactly like versus a mineral?
Speaker 6: Oh gosh, I wish I could have remembered the exact definition of that right now.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's good. It means it doesn't come up in your work very much.
Speaker 6: It does not.
Speaker 5: The definition of a gemstone does not come up in my work very often.
Speaker 4: That's okay, I looked it up. So a gemstone is a precious or a semi precious stone, or a mineral chosen for its beauty, chosen for its durability. It's cut and then polished. Now this out, there's a difference between a rock and a mineral. I never ever thought about this. A mineral has a very unique chemical structure and properties, but a rock is just a combination of different minerals. This fact is so precise, and I would never have learned it if I hadn't just had to look it up. And it makes me want to sound an airhorn like the ones that party DJs use. Okay, I'm going to but just super tiny in the background.
Speaker 6: But I think.
Speaker 5: Pearls are technically an organic matter or material because they come from just like coral, so those are in the organic field, and then rocks and gemstones are inorganic.
Speaker 4: It is weird that there is one gemstone that's just like, we pluck this thing out of a bivalve, you know what I mean? Is that weird that it came from like a that's weird about that.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure who discovered that and was like, this is going to be beautiful, and this is going to be jewelry, and it's going to be a precious thing that's desired.
Speaker 6: Who creates the.
Speaker 5: Demand for certain things, I'm not sure, but it is fascinating.
Speaker 4: Okay, So there's evidence of prehistoric pearl hunting. People love these for millennia, but for the thousands of years it was pretty much a crapshoot and a few tons of oysters. Only a few would have like a naturally occurring pearl. So pearls were incredibly expensive because you just hope that this little critter got a chunk of something stuck in its craw. But then in the early nineteen hundreds that all changed. There was a guy named William saval Kent. He was a British biologist who was really, really into sustainable fisheries. Someone's got to be into that now. In the eighteen nineties he was in Australia. He was experimenting with pearl cultivation and it involved a little round bead made of mollusk shell plus a little piece of donor mollusk material being surgically implanted into the gonads of a mollusc and then they returned the ocean in a net for a few years. They're like, work on that pearl and they're like, ugh, I hate you. So he was working on this in a place called the Thursday Islands, and some guys named Mise and Nishikawa also happened to be in the Thursday Islands and they patented this in nineteen oh seven. It took a while to get all the patents all that stuff. Anyway, in nineteen twenty one, round cultured pearls hit the market. So it said that this guy, William saval Kent maybe adopted it, and maybe these guys came to the Thursday Islands and were like, hey, that's pretty good. And then to go back to Japan and patented it. Whatever. William saval Kent was like, take the pearls. My life sucks, I've got bigger problems. For example, his mom died early. His half brother was killed by his sister, perhaps who was convicted of it, although he maybe was an accomplice, but he was never charged anyway, It's all sad, it's all super dark. Makes me want to hug everyone in the world and then go hide in a cave. Speaking of caves, and then have you been on a dig at all?
Speaker 5: I went on one dig and it's pretty much the coolest thing on the entire planet. I want to go mining so much more in my life. I was taken by a friend on this kind of like private mining tour down in like Ocean View or Ocean Side, Ocean Side in California, which is where a lot of turmaline mines are and they get like smoky quarts and things like that.
Speaker 6: So there's a lot of great.
Speaker 5: Mining here in California, and you can actually pay to go on mine for the day, which is really fun too.
Speaker 4: In southern California. If you check out the site called dig for Gems for seventy five bucks. You can go haulsome rocks for the day, but warning bring water. And apparently the owner is a lot like your seventy Sam and that he is a cantankerous pioneer type.
Speaker 6: Do you get to keep what you get?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you get to like keep certain things, which is really cool.
Speaker 6: I haven't done that yet, but I need to.
Speaker 5: We went on this one tour where we went and saw like deep in the mines. So you actually go in the mountainside and there are a whole bunch of guys that were drilling the wall to blast that day. So I'm literally like watching them drill these holes and it's really loud, and they're like, you know, pumping it full of water so it doesn't you know, create a lot of heat and whatever.
Speaker 6: So there's a bunch of holes in the wall.
Speaker 5: And then they bring in the dynamite sticks, which is terrifying to be around. Dynamite is so scary.
Speaker 4: So they make like holes like burrows, and then they share the dynamite in the burrows.
Speaker 5: So what they do is like when they're looking in a wall, you want to look for little signs of crystals or like a pocket that will have stones, in it, and then from there you're going to try to blast to open up a pocket and hopefully behind there there is some some sorm of like rocks or crystals or things like that. And sometimes you hit it really big and you hit this great pocket and it's like full of gems, or you end up like I think a lot of times people maybe end up destroying stones because they're trying to blast the wall or you.
Speaker 6: Know, things like that.
Speaker 5: I know that's such a hard fale, but you got to, you know, I think you just have to try.
Speaker 6: You know, you don't know.
Speaker 5: You can either go in there with your hands or you're gonna blast the wall open if there's a pocket, So.
Speaker 4: Like what else are you gonna do? Just pick at it with your fingernails. So you to the mountain, Yeah, you can't do that.
Speaker 5: No, it's we would take forever, right, So yeah, because we were very far in the mountain.
Speaker 4: Are you claustrophobic?
Speaker 6: No, it's it's like huge.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: The caverns they make are like just diinormous for it, and there's all these like different kind of walkways to go through in different levels that you can go up.
Speaker 6: It's wild.
Speaker 5: You feel literally like kind of like a mole or something like wandering around. I was like, oh wow, animal life. So we packed everything full of dynamite and then they light everything and I'm like, are we not supposed to be running right now out of the mountain and they're just taking their time. They're like, oh, we have four minutes. I was like, I'm gonna run out the mountain.
Speaker 4: You're in the mountain.
Speaker 6: We're in the mountain. And they light it and so yeah, so so scary.
Speaker 5: So then we like get outside and then it's the deepest, biggest.
Speaker 6: Boom you've ever felt.
Speaker 5: Whoa And it was just like boom and I was like, oh my god, this so scary. And then you see all of the dust come out, and then you have to wait an hour to let it settle. Okay, And then they go in there and they kind of like hit the top of the ceiling to make sure nothing comes down because there are still.
Speaker 6: Rock that's loose.
Speaker 4: Who has that job?
Speaker 6: A man with a hard hat that job seck I know.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh my gosh, it's so scary. And then you go in there and we got to kind of dig around to see if there was anything that was in the pocket, and unfortunately that day there wasn't, but they showed us another kind of area that did have a little bit of a pocket, so we got to take some quartz home and things like that, which was really cool.
Speaker 4: Did you keep it?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I have a couple.
Speaker 5: Like there's a rock that has like this beautiful, like perfect quartz point coming out of it, and they've gotten a lot of spody mean out of there, which is a type of crystal, and it's so cool because on different axises like shows either like a pink or like this beautiful violet color, which is so cool. So you turn it and you see different colors. And there was this one in there called big Kahuna that they took out of there and.
Speaker 6: They named it and it's huge.
Speaker 5: I mean, this thing is the biggest that I think they've ever seen.
Speaker 4: So is it typical to name crystals?
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's also one that's really cool.
Speaker 5: It's like this beautiful turmaline like I think party colored turmaline on a quartz and it looks like a steamboat, so I think it's called like a steamboat something.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure what it is, but I think no idea.
Speaker 4: They got nicknames.
Speaker 6: There's not gonna be another one of these in the world, and then they name them because they're just so amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now let's get back to your crystals. You have a collection of crystals clearly, right. Do you name those who No?
Speaker 5: I don't name them, but they definitely I think like if you go anywhere you they definitely have a certain energy, like some really speak to you or not. You know, it's almost like any object, it either calls to you or it doesn't. And with crystals, for me, their beauty and their individuality really toxic. You know, if you're in a store of crystals, there's going to be one that's like take me home, like I need to come with you.
Speaker 4: I did that recently. I did Arizona, Yes, and I was and I went into a little gym shop and I was like, oh, this is lovely and I was looking at things and I was like, what do you have that's like a good calming Yeah, situation, because I'm like a chihuahua. I'm just like, yeah, I'm like, what's like something calming? And he's like this blue thing. Oh, I haven't my wallet? Yes, can you tell me what it is?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay, this is not meant to be a pop quiz.
Speaker 6: But let's do it.
Speaker 5: Okay, Like I'm going to suggest blue lace ag it first in my mind of what he would suggest.
Speaker 4: But let's see what it is. Okay, let's really excited diagnosis. There's in my wallet. There's also earplugs and bobby pins. That's the essentials. Yeah. So okay, so I got this blue thing because he said it was calming, and also because he seems so nice. I didn't want to just walk of a shop without buying anything.
Speaker 6: No, this is this is actually a quartz.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: It's called aqua aora quartz and it's actually treated. So what they do is they put this in some sort of container or crucible or something and they heat it with titanium what like particles, and that actually puts this blue kind of rainbow essence on the surface. So it's a court point, a quartz point. So that has a lot of incredible healing powers.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is where science and the woo woo kind of collide. Just stick with me. Let's look into this. So in the last five years, apparently there's been a forty percent increase in Google searches for the term crystal healing. Now, do crystals work. It really really depends on your definition of work. One study in two thousand and one by doctor Christopher French asked participants to meditate for five minutes holding a crystal. Some were given a real awesome crystal, some were given a fake crystal, But people who reported warmth in their hands and increased feelings of well being were about equal. So wellness is kind of in the hand of the beholder here. Well, I have a question about this. Is it not kosher to touch someone's crystal? Because I always feel like you're not supposed touch their crysis.
Speaker 5: That's a great question because I think some have like, oh my gosh, right, But there are a lot of people that work really intensely with crystals, and they work with programming them with their intentions, with what they want to manifest, So it can be good to ask. But for me, like, if it's generally jewelry, I'm just like I wear it for the good energy and the good vibes, and if people want to it's like that's whatever. You know, you're going to share the energy and the good jujuw Did you.
Speaker 4: Take a specific crystal down with you to take the test?
Speaker 6: I think I had a few that day.
Speaker 5: I definitely had some quartz and some black turmaline because black termaline is really grounding and it's really good for your home especially, but it helps take away negative energy and negative thoughts and things like that.
Speaker 6: So I was like, I need to be calm and grounded, and.
Speaker 5: I did have some labagorites systone of magic, and I was like, I need some extra help.
Speaker 6: Today to pass the test.
Speaker 4: So that's it worked.
Speaker 6: It worked.
Speaker 5: I had like the little cluster on my desk.
Speaker 4: This psychology of crystals is super interesting scientifically. Number one crystals are here, some people swear by them, Adele, Katie Perry, all of the Kardashians, a Madonna. So as long as you're gonna hear about crystals, let's consider the psychology and the physiology behind them. We'll get to the physics in a minute. Okay, First, your brain is a jiggly mess. It's gotten nerves and wires and fatty stuff and memories and shit we don't understand. But one of those things we kind of understand is the placebo effect. Now, according to my doctor www dot WebMD dot com, one of the most common theories is that the placebo effect is due to a person's expectations. So if a person expects a pill to do something, then it's possible that the body's own chemistry can cause effects similar to what a medication might have caused. There's a word for this, it's called neural top down control of physiology. That is, the direct regulation by the brain of physiological features, features like the immune system and metabolism and stress. I didn't totally get this, so I looked up the scientific paper called top down and bottom up Mechanics in Mind Body Medicine, Development of an Integrative Framework for Psychophysiological Research. Sure, okay, this is what I said, and this was a published scientific paper. So mind body therapies, including things like hypnosis, biofeedback, yoga, meditation, taichi have been found effective for reducing depression, insomnia, anxiety, post traumatic stress, irritable bowel syndrome, nausea, acute and chronic pain, and for managing impaired circulation, diabetes, stuff like that. And there's a number of mechanisms of top down control of physiology that you can use to achieve that. One might be meditation, one might be holding a rock. What's a good starter kit for people with who are like, I'm going to do it. This is the year. This is why You're to dabble in crystals. I'm gonna become one of those witchy people and I'm just gonna dabble in awesome minerals and stuff.
Speaker 6: Just like a little few crystals.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, it's like there's like can they walk into a gem store, like what's their starter kit? Like they want to be like, ha, this is a great, great question. They want to have a good job, like a start a kit.
Speaker 6: This is great. Okay.
Speaker 5: Number one definitely clear chorts because it is a master healer. Okay, and please note if you get crystals, you need to cleanse them as well. You want to put them in the moonlight if you can just let that cleanse them, or you can put them in the sunshine, or put them in salt water or rice.
Speaker 6: I think does it rice? So you can just put them in right.
Speaker 4: Here in the toilet. I need to put in a bag of right. Is it like charging something that's low in the dark, like holding up to a light kind like.
Speaker 5: You need to like especially with quarts, because it takes in so much energy you want to release it.
Speaker 4: There is something called pizzo electricity, and it's the principle that crystalline forms like quartz can generate electricity when under stress. I mean, you see this if you have a quartz watch. Some folks argue that the crystalline structure and minerals aligns with the energy field of our bodies. Others say, well, shit, dog, that's pretty rock and it makes me happy. My stance tomato, tomato, Does the thing make you happy? Do the thing quartz?
Speaker 6: For sure.
Speaker 5: If you want to bring abundance, money, more monetary like stuff into your life, you want to get citrin is this beautiful kind of golden color.
Speaker 6: It is also quartz that is like the.
Speaker 5: Abundance stone, and it's just it's good for everything. And then if you want something to heal your heart, to promote self love and self care, you want to get rose quartz, which is a beautiful pink color. It's one of my favorite stones. It's very soothing to gorgeous, like soft, dusty pink, and that is number one heartstone. And then also black termalie. You definitely want to have just for your home, for yourself as protection because as we go into the world, you know, there's so much going on and I think that termalian is a really good protector against you know, whatever might arise that you're not really comfortable with, like.
Speaker 8: World wars and so yeah, like the apocalypse kind you want to be prepared with your crystals if anything, you can throw them people like.
Speaker 6: I gotta spike you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, come at me, bitches.
Speaker 6: This one's really heavy.
Speaker 5: And then I think, probably finally from me, I love Labatry is one of my favorite stones. I have so much of it just because it's incredibly beautiful and like every single one is different and it is the stone of magic. And I totally believe that.
Speaker 4: What are the camps of other gemologists or diamond dealers, how do they feel about like anything spiritual with gems? Like where do you where? Does where do gemologists fall?
Speaker 5: This is it's such a mixed bag, I think because crystals, for me, they're they're just like this beautiful creation of the earth. So they really ground me to the earth and they remind me to kind of calm down and center. And some people are just not in that mind frame.
Speaker 6: They're not on that.
Speaker 5: Spiritual side of things, so they're just they come from the earth and that is it, and they want to sell it for money, and they look at is it at it as like a business. So it really depends on your views on life and if you're a spiritual or not. And some people dabble a little bit because they just think they're so beautiful and there are actual just crystal collectors. It's not so much for the spiritual side, but just the beauty and the rarity of the items. So it's really a mixed bag all over the spectrum. It's not so much about the figure or whatever you're holding. It's just that you get to put your energy into something physical. You're not just always having to think or believe in something. You can actually hold something.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: It seems like once you kind of know what a stone stands for, then like any time you look at a glimmering gold stone or like a rose, courts are gonna be like, oh, yeah, that's right. My heart has to heal others, you know what I mean. It'll be on your mind at least. I have a bunch of questions from people who, yeah, wanted to just pepper you with questions, so we'll do a rapid fire around. Okay, you don't have to answer them in depth, but just tell me, yeah, we'll rapid fire these but before we take questions from you, our beloved listeners, we're going to take a quick break for sponsors of the show. Sponsors. Why sponsors? You know what they do? They help us give money to different charities every week. So if you want to know where Ologies gives our money, you can go to aliywar dot com and look for the tab Ologies gives back. There's like one hundred and fifty different charities that we've given to already, with more every single week. So if you need a place to go, donate a little bit of money but you're not sure where to go. Those are all picked biologists who work in those fields, and this ad break allows us to give a ton of money to them. So thanks for listening and thanks sponsors.
Speaker 1: Imagine the place where you can escape for a day, get immersed in a world of rooms, inspiration, and expertise where you can lay in luxury accommodation. Thank Kids cam fees from ninety five sets. Tickets are free to everyone and include all the attractions you've just imagined. A day out at Ikia Pikia the wonderful every day.
Speaker 2: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing You're on the same rate for energy all day, every day with the Smart All Day plan from Board Gosh Energy. Save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five You're a welcome bonus. Switched today at Board Goosh Energy dot I E Board Gosh Energy. Know your power.
Speaker 3: Estimated on your bill of twenty six hundred and twenty nine your new customers, only thirty percent is kent of Smart all day electricity unit rates in twenty nine percent of gass unit rates sea Portcasha Energy dot E for FULLTIESNCS.
Speaker 4: Okay, your questions, these are some good questions that I never would have thought of. Okay, Jen wants to know. I want to know what stone other than diamonds is overrated and what stone is underappreciated.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, it's a good question. That was great.
Speaker 5: Good job, jum overrated. I'm just going to quickly go not to be spiteful with emeralds because those are on your shoeless, because it is actually a fact that eighty five percent of them are actually treated with an oil or a resin to make their clarity better. And not to take away from the amazing energy of an emerald, but I think it is deceptive sometimes if people don't truly know that. So if you're listening, know that eighty five percent of emeralds are generally treated. They're not synthetic, but they are treated with oil or something within them to make them more clear. So overrated, underrated, hmm, that's really hard.
Speaker 4: Labridite, spectralite, spectru light.
Speaker 5: For sure, I think underrated and should be more out There is just one of my favorite stones of all time called load lighte quartz or garden quartz because it literally looks like a foamy, purple green garden inside of quartz. It's like one of the most amazing stones I've ever seen, and they come in just like all these different shapes. I wish I would have brought one. Actually, my bracelet has it in it. It looks like kind of like moss.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's so cool. It's like a cool natural marble.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's crazy, and it's just like this whole world of stripes and you can see the growth patterns and the texture looks like that green foam you stick flowers into and you just want to touch it, but it is hard and it is encased in stone, garden quartz.
Speaker 6: Garden quartz, or it's load of light quartz.
Speaker 4: People remember garden courts, Yeah, load of light. I don't know, I have no idea where to start with that. Maybe L O D O L I T. Garden quarts easier to remember, Okay, Jessica wants to know if you have thoughts on haunted and cursed gems.
Speaker 6: You know, it's really interesting.
Speaker 5: I met this woman that I used to work for it, and she was the first person that ever said bad juju to me.
Speaker 6: That phrase bad.
Speaker 5: Juju And it's from her two stone antique diamond engagement ring that she had with her ex husband. She's like, this ring has bad juju and I have now fully come to realize that exists and it is true.
Speaker 6: So I think, how can I just what?
Speaker 4: Don't you put them in the moonlight?
Speaker 6: Maybe?
Speaker 5: But I think it's more like you just need to get rid of them from Like I think someone can restore the good energy of a stone, but I think a lot of times for a person, it can have such a negative connotation that you just need to like get rid of it from your life.
Speaker 6: And I think that's why a lot of people sell their stones.
Speaker 5: Or their jewels because they want to get rid of that situation that it was in, and hopefully the person that gets it then can bring some new life to it.
Speaker 4: If you have a haunted gem, should you first try to put it in rice or saltwater or the moonlight and see if your life gets better?
Speaker 5: I you know I would, but I think it's such a mental state, like if you have a nasty ex husband or partner or whoever that you keep looking. You look at the ring and you're like, oh right, and then you're like, oh, well, maybe I could make it into ear rings or something else, but then you'd still be thinking about it.
Speaker 6: You might as well just get rid of it and get something fresh.
Speaker 4: So haunted gems, Yes, they're a real thing, real badjjo. How do you feel about making cremains into a gemstone? Which are human remains? You know? How you can take You can take human remains that it like a the ashes, yes, and then turn them into a gemstone. Question.
Speaker 5: I've heard that recently, into like a diamond or something.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: I all about that personally because I'm a huge fan of memento mary jewelry and the sentimental like longing and loving of people that cared so deeply for their loved ones and they want to remember them. So Victorian times they used to take hair and weave it into like watch fobs or necklaces or brooches, and or they would like recently in the auction I work in an auction house and we have this adorable moonstone baby face brooch with a diamond bonnet, and it was probably for a child that had passed. But it's so sentimental and I think, you know, whatever way you want to remember your loved one is wonderful. I mean, some people do blood in a vile I don't know.
Speaker 4: If you were too young to recall Angelina Julie and her husband Billy Bob Thornton wearing vials of blood around their neck, please google that. If there's no other reason than to see the evolution of Angelina's eyebrows.
Speaker 5: I'm really into that. Just like loving memory of someone.
Speaker 4: So provided they're not a dick, and then you're going to have a haunted exactly. I mean, s don't want to do that one, all right, Clare, that was your question, so great, Yeah, just make sure they're not a jerk. Yeah. Oh, Justin wants to know, is gem truly outrageous?
Speaker 6: Probably? Yes, Maybe Brittany, you.
Speaker 4: Would like to know what the difference is between mineralogy and gemology.
Speaker 6: That's a great question.
Speaker 5: I think what it comes down to is gemology is more the study of faceted gemstones, Okay, and I think mineralogy is the study of their natural form, how they come out of the earth. So then once you take those natural form and you cut it down to a gemstone, then that is when it becomes gemology. And then you're really looking inside at the stone and it's characteristics as far as if it's synthetic or natural rather than how it is you know, from the earth, and you dig it up and it's a perfect so.
Speaker 4: Oh got it. So it's kind of like a product of that little exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then this was my A couple of people asked this, So diamond engagement rings, how did that start? And is that over or people? Or is that going to be eternal that people are going to be giving diamonds as engagement.
Speaker 5: Diamonds are forever, I think number one with the slogan's aside, diamonds are so popular because they are the toughest hardest.
Speaker 6: Stone in existence.
Speaker 5: So you can bang them around whatever, and they will last your lifetime.
Speaker 6: Other stones not so much.
Speaker 5: You have to be more careful about what you're putting in a setting and how you're setting it. So the next hardest stone is than a sapphire or a ruby. So a lot of people go with that option as well for an engagement ring. But then when you get into other areas like opal, which is something I do not recommend for an engagement ring whatsoever, because it is one of the softest stones and it will craze, It will start to crack really if you don't get take care of it, and if you wear it every day, so it's one that won't last as long. So I think diamonds are so wonderful because they are just so hard and they'll last you your lifetime if you, you know, take care of them properly. Some do chip if you hit them just right, but it is pretty rare, so I think that's why they're such a popular option. Where that exactly started, I'm not sure. It could have just been because of wanting to expand the diamond market once more diamonds were found, and you know, people use marketing to make everything happen.
Speaker 4: Oh, engagement rings, quick history. Diamonds rare expensive, but in the eighteen sixties huge diamond mines were discovered in South Africa. Hoo boy were their diamonds. The Beers Diamond Cartel was founded. Then the depression hit and in the late nineteen thirties they needed to sell more diamonds, so a marketing campaign was launched to convince people that starlets and rich people and the truly in love were diamonds. In the late nineteen forties, the slogan and Diamonds Forever was coined. And I mean, granted, diamonds are a hard ass stone, but they want you to want them, and also the lyrics. If you like it, then you should have offered a marriage dowry of goats and textiles and household items does not have the same.
Speaker 8: Ring.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Okay, diamonds so they're hardy.
Speaker 6: They are hardy. There are the number one hard stone.
Speaker 4: Right And if you get a used one and it's haunted, try to cleanse it, cleanse it, okay, GTK. Good to know, okay, and then we'll do we'll do good side bad side. What is your least favorite thing about gemology? What is something that's just bits annoying or pisses you off. Oh, or about your job as a gemologist because you work at an auction house appraising. Right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think my least favorite part of the job is all of the deception that comes with trying to mimic stones or imitate them, especially if you go to a lot of foreign countries they want to sell you rough stones, but they will they will manipulate them to look you know, real or authentic, and then you get them home and they're totally fake or they're like glass with some sort of you know, treatment on them. So that makes me really sad that there's a lack of respect. People want to make money and things like that, but don't go.
Speaker 4: Don't go stain a beer bottle and then be like, or he didn't call it this type of ruby, and then you find out that it's he treated and it loses its value by you know, more than half. So, right, But by that point you're like on another continent and they're like what.
Speaker 5: What, Yeah, joke's on you. Yeah, don't buy it like that. I mean, if you don't know what you're looking for, don't do it.
Speaker 4: No your shit. Before you go to another country and take home some jewels.
Speaker 5: Right, you want to know just some little tips before going through with that. But I think that's probably my biggest thing is like the deception that exists in the world is just really sad.
Speaker 4: So it's one of your favorite things.
Speaker 5: My favorite thing that makes me so unbelievably happy is when you look inside of a stone in a microscope and you just you're looking at this like a world that is like so incredible, and I can't believe that the world or you know, the Earth has actually made this, like something deep within the ground has been created that is unbelievably spectacular and then some amazing human brought it outside of you know, the earth.
Speaker 6: So so incredible.
Speaker 5: And there's a lot of different photographers now that are actually taking photos of the insides of gems.
Speaker 6: And there's a few of my favorite Instagram accounts.
Speaker 5: I have to remember all their names, but there's MINERALI in and he does a lot of like inner opal and it just looks like this underwater sea world that's like in the sunlight.
Speaker 6: It's amazing.
Speaker 5: But you can look up, you know, microphotos of gems and see all their inclusions and you'll see gas bubbles inside this tiny like negative space that is literally tunny diny, like you have to look at a microscope to see it.
Speaker 4: So looking through a microscope is just a super trippy world. Is like in Superman when he lives in a crystal world.
Speaker 5: Kind of you're just you're in awe of you know that it exists. You're just like, how did the Earth make something so beautiful? And a lot of people don't know that that is something or they just you know, it's not something that interests them. But for me, it's just like this, I don't know, it's like a nerdy thing. I just love to look in a microscope and see this whole other world and it makes me really grateful for the Earth.
Speaker 6: I'm like, wow, so amazing, Thanks Earth.
Speaker 4: Isn't it weird that there are gems that you haven't met yet that are just chilling in a rock in a cave right.
Speaker 6: Now somewhere, longing to be brought to.
Speaker 4: Light and gokdat?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And have you seen those like crazy giant selenite crystal caves in Mexico that noo that's been circulating everywhere where. They're literally giant and you see the men like walking on them and it's just like pure magic.
Speaker 6: I don't even know. Damn Superman must live there.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, holy stalagtites people. I look this up and it's insane. Before you Google image search Cave of the Crystals, which is in Chihuahua, Mexico, please please consider holding onto your butts because it's so insanely pretty you're gonna lose your minds thirty foot high crystals. They make Superman's Fortress of Solitude look like a studio apartment in Burbank. I'm gonna give you this skinny on these things. So the caves were discovered in two thousand by some miners, and they were essentially flooded naturally, but they were drained by the mining company to reveal these insane beautiful structures. And the caves right above a magma chamber, so they're hot as bawls one hundred and thirty six degrees and when they're drained, it's up to ninety nine percent humidity. So researchers looking into these crystals had to wear vests that were stuffed with like otter pops and ventilators just to study them for twenty minutes at a time. The crystals are made out of gypsum, which is the same stuff as in drywall, but it's in crystal form. Now, the mining operation recently stopped. The caves got reflooded, so you can't go visit them. You can't have your birthday party in them. But just think the crystals are just in a hot bath. They're chilling. The crystals are like, get out of here, dude. We've been here for half a million years, getting bigger and bigger. Fill us back up, Get your hard hat sat of my butt. That's what the cave is saying. Sorry, I talk about butts so much. Geez, Well, what are you excited about? What's like your next goal? Like, what's the next thing you're excited about doing in your work?
Speaker 5: I personally just want to work more now, like less with jewelry and more with the specimens, more mining, getting my hands on the natural product, seeing it in its environment.
Speaker 6: It's natural environment.
Speaker 5: So ideally I would love to work in a warehouse of crystals and just be with crystals all day every day, just like a huge and they exist as wholesalers and things like that that sell to smaller stores. Yeah, I just I love the idea of for me, the spiritual aspect of just putting your energy into something physical to help you connect.
Speaker 6: To Earth and to you know, your dreams and whatever you're doing.
Speaker 4: So so, now that I have this blue crystal that I keep in my purse, should I keep it in my purse? Or is that a shady place to keep a crystal?
Speaker 6: You can totally keep it in your purse.
Speaker 5: I generally always carry something on me like legitimately, braw crystals, I think are a thing for women.
Speaker 6: Just keep crystals. Braw crystals.
Speaker 5: You just stick it right in your broth you don't have a pocket, Like if you're wearing a dress, I generally have one, just you.
Speaker 6: Know, do you have any in your bra right now?
Speaker 5: I don't, unfortunately, but I'm wearing so many that But sometimes you know, like I'm wearing a certain thing and I don't really have a necklace on or something, right, so I just kind of stick one in there. Nobody knows, but it's for me and it's right next to my heart, which makes me feel a little more, you know, secure and then better going into the world.
Speaker 4: But this is my new favorite thing, is that brock crystal.
Speaker 5: Crystals like really like soft palm stones are really good for that. They actually sell their like these round flat stones, but they kind of sit in there really nicely.
Speaker 6: So just like to just like knit one tumbers exactly.
Speaker 5: Just be careful, you know, you don't want to like pop out somewhere, you know, like what is that You'd be like, I don't know where that rock came from, you know, don't touch my crystal.
Speaker 6: Yeah, seriously, though.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna shove this in my bron and see what happens. Yeah to a calmer week a dendum, someone you know who is recording this voiceover right now may have put a crystal in her bra and so what. But also it was the sharp, pointy kind. And when she took off her bra, it fell on her toe and she was like, oh, I forgot you're in there, buddy. And then she looked down and she had the most ridiculous crystal shaped imprint in her chest area. So if you're gonna do a rock, crystal, get the flat kind. Also side notes. Since researching this topic plus last episodes deep dive into how much a Dino dig cost versus an American wedding, Google and Instagram and Facebook have absolutely poured ads for engagement items into my eyeholes, and I hereby asked them to please knock the fuck off robots. Speaking of social media, you can find the wonderful Wonderful Kelly Sindtech on Instagram as the rock Huntress. She posts pictures of beautiful stones, including the ones that we talked about today. Ologies is also on there at ologies and on Twitter at ologis Pod, and I'm on both as Ali Ward. And if there's something about the podcast you want to hear, you just want to say hi or give me some feedback, you can email me at Helloaliward at gmail dot com. If you love the podcast, you can go straight to rating, subscribing, reviewing, tell friends, and thank you to everyone supporting on Patreon. I decided to put this out without a network. I'm just going solo so I could do it without a bunch of ads, and you guys are making it possible for me to pay a sound engineer, Hey Jason, and buy microphones and software and put up money for merch. Also, feel free to visit ologismerch dot com for shirts and totes. Thank you Shannon and Bonnie for helping me that, and thank you to Hannah and Aaron. A few of my dear friends for creating the Ologies podcast group on Facebook and just being awesome. So until next Tuesday, I remember to ask smart people them questions before you wind up crushed into a souvenir pendant or haunting an emerald. Next week Horology, Pacadermatology, homeology, cryptozoology, lithology, technology, meteorology, paratology, anthology, zeriology, Elinology.
Speaker 1: Imagine the place where you can escape for a day. Get immersed in a world of rooms, inspiration and expertise where you can lazy, luxury, accommodation and kids cam fees from ninety five sets. Tickets are free to everyone and include all the attractions you've just imagined a day out at the Kia, the Kia the wonderful every day.
Speaker 2: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day with a smart all day plan from board Gosh Energy, save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five You're O Welcome bonus switch today at Boardgosh Energy, dot I E Board Gosh Energy. Know your Power
Speaker 3: Estimate Annuel Biller twenty six hundred and twenty nine your new customers only, thirst of percenters kant of smart all Day Electricity uniates and twenty nine percent of gussin See Poorcash Energy dot E for forty secs