Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange.
Speaker 3: County KFI Radio. This is Mission Control Houston. Please call station for a voice check station.
Speaker 4: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call.
Speaker 3: How do you hear me? I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 5: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: I've landed and its name is Amy King.
Speaker 5: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock. This is your wake up call for Tuesday, April First. I'm Amy King. April Fool's Day got and he put good pranks planned maybe WELLS day.
Speaker 5: Maybe I didn't plan them yet.
Speaker 4: I used to like spend a lot of time like going what can I do?
Speaker 1: I remember this when I was a kid, like going what can I do? What can I do? And I didn't ever really come up with very good ones. We did do one really good one one year on the air when I was in Eugene, Oregon. Uh well, there was two. One. We said that they were canceling daylight saving time and that caught on. I think the news stations were like, what where'd you do that. And the other one was that a beer truck had crashed on the freeway and they didn't want to clean it up, so they just invited people to come down and pick it up. We kind of got in trouble for that one. Yeah, Okay. Also, I told you yesterday that I got my new ring camera. My brother got it for me for Christmas, and I finally installed it three months later because I'm well a bit of a procrastinator. The thing's driving me crazy. Look at all these alerts. I'm holding my phone up to this.
Speaker 5: Can you can turn them down? Can't you?
Speaker 1: I got to figure out how to turn off the alerts. Okay, time for creepy crawleys to hatch. That's an alert. Here's another one. Be cautious. There's a man walking a black dog in the neighborhood looking for a vet cutaneous horn recommendation. My kitten is a polydactyl and needs cutaneous horn removing. I don't know what this is. Does someone have a good recommendation for a place for car detailing. There's two men trespassing with blowtorches trying to steal catalytic or steal electric motorcycles.
Speaker 5: Oh, that might be worthwhile.
Speaker 1: But yeah, is there a power outage in Frogtown? I mean, just like non stop high neighbors. Can anyone foster five kittens? Oh? I know the answer. But is there street sweeping today because of the Caesar Chavez holiday?
Speaker 4: Stop people? This is why I turned off next door.
Speaker 5: Yes, no, close out.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's a way to stop the alerts. Okay, here's what's ahead on wake up call. Everything costs just a little bit more in La County today, a quarter percent tax to pay for homelessness programs kicks in County. Voters approved the sales tax increase in November. It will remain in place unless it's repealed by voters. A fifteen year old girls recovering after being attacked by a sea lion off the coast of Long Beach. She was attacked on Sunday while taking a swim test for the Cadet lifeguard program. She was rescued and will be okay. Sea lions have been acting aggressively lately because of demoic acid poisoning from that toxic algae bloom. With Kid Rock by his side, President Trump assigned in executive order to protect Americans from exploitive ticket scalping in the entertainment industry. The order is designed to stop price gouging by middleman. This is a I'm so excited about this. We were just talking about it last week like that. You know, like when you make it, you buy a ticket to Disneyland, you go, it's like buying a train ticket or something, or a plane ticket. But with concerts, the scalpers snap them all up and then triple and quadruple the price for him, and you can't you can't afford to go.
Speaker 6: And I don't understand why they can't make it like an airline ticket, like someone else can't just use your air latic.
Speaker 4: When you sign up for it, you buy the ticket.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: The President says he's not joking when he floats the idea of serving a third term in office. We're going to check in with kfi's White House correspondent John Decker, who just happens to be a constitutional lawyer, so that'll come in handy. We're gonna talk to him in just a minute. Astronauts Sunny and Butch back from the International Space Station. They've held their first press conference, and ABC's Jim Ryan's going to tell us how they're adjusting to life with gravity. President Trump's Liberation Day is just one day away. The host of How to Money on KFI, Joel Glar's Guard, is going to weigh in on how that will affect your money and it's Raiders of the Lost Ark come to Life. Kfi's Rory O'Neil is going to join us to tell us about the search for the arc of the Covenant.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: La County's new higher sales tax is in effect starting today.
Speaker 6: Covers in the county approved the measure last November, making a permanent half cent sales tax to support homeless services and affordable housing. It replaces a quarter cent tax that was supposed to expire in twenty twenty seven. The new tax comes with the promise of more oversight and accountability. It provides sixty percent of its anticipated hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue to deal with homelessness. Fifteen percent of that is to be directed to cities depending on their homeless population, thirty five percent is for affordable housing programs. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: So that brings the sales tax in La County up to nine point seventy five percent in Palmdale and Lancaster, it's ten point twenty five percent and eleven point twenty five percent, respectively create its own homeless services department. Kfi's Mark Mayfield says supervisors are said to vote today on whether to consolidate homeless services into one county run department.
Speaker 8: The vote comes as the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority continues to face criticism. Several audits have revealed funding is being wasted and has shown gaps in the tracking of the services that are provided by the organization.
Speaker 1: If supervisors approve the new department, it would start operating on July. First, let's check in now with KFI White House correspondent and constitutional lawyer John Decker. John, we thought you're the perfect person to talk to today because President Trump has talked about the idea of serving a third term. First he joked about it, then he said it was no joke, and then he said in the oval yesterday there could be a way to do it. So let's break this down. Do you think you serious?
Speaker 9: Well, other presidents have mulled over this idea. Even President Eisenhower in nineteen six six mold over this idea. But the problem for each of those presidents who've thought about this is the twenty second Amendment to the Constitution. Now, there are ways around the twenty second Amendment. You can repeal the twenty second Amendment, which bar is a president from serving two terms in the White House, but that's really difficult, especially with the narrow majority that exists right now in Congress. You need two thirds of the vote in both the House and the Senate. That's going to be difficult. And then if you are even able to do that, you'd need three quarters of the states to ratify that amendment to the Constitution, and that takes time. But the president's talking about it now, he's got time before twenty twenty eight rolls around. But I just don't think the numbers are there. And we'll see where the president's popularity is around that time to see if you know, the American public would like the president to even serve for a third term in the White House.
Speaker 1: Well, and you mentioned that even if you could get the states to go along with it, with the way that the House and the senat are today today, there's no way you'd get two thirds approval.
Speaker 9: No, you'd need Democratic votes, and there's a very narrow majority in the House, just a one seat majority that Republicans have there. It's fifty three forty seven in the Senate. You're not going to get two thirds of the Senate for sure, so that's going to be difficult. Now, the President has floated this possibility running as vice president to jd Vance, for instance, in twenty twenty eight, and then have jd Vance essentially hand the keys to the White House over to Donald Trump upon winning the presidency. That I think is pie in the sky. But people always talk about jd Vance doing that scenario. What about the scenario brought up by my wife, and that's Donald Trump Junior at the top of the ticket. That's a possibility, and then he turns the keys over to the White House to his father. So you know, look, these are possibilities that are fun to talk about. Certainly, he got the press not talk about Signalgate for a day or so, and I think that was maybe one of the reasons why the President brought this idea up in the first place.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I hadn't heard the one about Donald Junior. I did hear the one about jd Vance, But so would they could they abdicate not abdicate because it's not thrown. But could they step down and appoint Trump president or would it be they would be president and Trump would be basically be the puppet master.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the way it would happen under the scenario that I just mentioned is simply if you are president resigning your office and then the vice president assumes the presidency. That's how that would work. But you know, getting someone to go along with that, like JD. Vans, who's certainly ambitious, wants to be president himself. I don't think he wants to be vice president, you know, for or forever, you know, I don't think that maybe he'd go along with that idea. That's the reason why maybe Donald Trump Junior would be the perfect person if Donald Trump wants to pursue that to run at the top of the ticket and then hand the keys to the White House over to his.
Speaker 1: Father, or he could get really power hungry and then once he gets in office, you could say forget it, the deal's off.
Speaker 5: That's right, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: How do you know JD.
Speaker 9: Vance isn't going to pull a fast one on Donald Trump if that happens. But you know, look, this is fun to talk about. This is a long time from now twenty twenty eight. And you know, they are presidents that certainly have been very intelligent, have or have had very bright people working around them. And you know, Ronald Reagan could have worn for a third term, and I think he would have won in nineteen eighty eight. The same thing with Eisenhower. But they realized the twenty second Amendment is problematic. They didn't want to go down that road, you know, and they certainly didn't want to defy the Constitution. And that's the reason why they just serve those two terms in the White House.
Speaker 1: Okay, hey, we were talking about amendments, and since you're a constitutional lawyer, have we have we ever taken amendments off?
Speaker 4: I know it's possible to do, but have we done it?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 9: Yeah, of course. You know, there's amendments that have repealed other amendments. So when you're talking about the voting age nationally, that's an amendment that repealed another amendment. You know, you talk about amendments that provided equality across our country, that's an amendment that repealed another amendment.
Speaker 5: So yes, of.
Speaker 9: Course we have done that, but it's done through that process. That process is lengthy, that's the reason why we don't have that many amendments to the Constitution because of the lengthy and process that we're talking about, and it's just a difficult process to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, KFI White House correspondent and constitutional lawyer, which we appreciate, especially today, John Decker, thanks so much.
Speaker 5: Thank you. Have a great day, am.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. President Trump is planning to move forward with a major tear of blitz on several countries, including allies. It's expected to drive up the cost of groceries, electronics, and cars in the US.
Speaker 10: A new poll from the Associated Press shows Americans aren't sold on the president's trade policies, sixty percent disapproving, with thirty eight percent approving.
Speaker 1: ABC's Mary Bruce says on Trump's handling of the economy, fifty eight percent disapprove, forty percent approve. Goldman Sachs has raised its expectation that the US will enter a recession in the next year to thirty five percent. Kfi's Brian shuk says that's not the only concern expressed by the financial firm's report.
Speaker 5: In a note two investors.
Speaker 6: Goldman also lowered its GDP forecast and predicted a rise in unemployment.
Speaker 1: The resident's mixed signals on tariffs sent stock markets on another wild ride yesterday, with the down s ANDP finishing up.
Speaker 4: The NASDAK closed down. Trump has promised new tariffs to be announced tomorrow. Five men accused of laundering money on behalf of Mexico's Sinela cartel have been charged in a pair of grand jury indictments unsealed in federal court in San Diego, US Attorney's offices. The indictments were first returned against the men in twenty twenty two. All of them are still on the run. Four of the five have also been sanctioned by the US for their alleged roles in supporting the cartel's drug trafficking activities. Officials in Iceland say a volcano is erupting in the southwestern part of the country. A nearby town and the Blue Lagoon SPA have been evacuated. The community was largely evacuated a year ago when the volcano came to life after lying dormant for eight hundred years. Today, the magma flow was accompanied by an intense earthquake storm similar to previous eruptions. Well, that sounds like a fun place to be gall Lee.
Speaker 1: People could soon have the option of using an AI doctor for health advice. ABC's Michelle frands And says Apple is reportedly planning to bring an AI power doc to its health app. There are reports that human doctors are used to train the artificial intelligent agent that will act as a physician and health coach and make recommendations. She says. The revamped app is expected to be released next spring. Okay, if you're going to the Dodger game tonight, it's oh tany MVP Bobblehead Night. If you're not going, you can still listen to all the action on AM five to seventy LA Sports Live from the Galpin Motors broadcast booth. The Dodgers are taking on the Braves. First pitch goes out at five point thirty. You can also stream the game in HD on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. I'd like to get my hands on one of those bobbleheads. The LA County Board of Supervisor is going to vote today on whether to create its own county run homeless services department. The vote comes as the LA Homeless Services Authority continues to face criticism for wasting money and not tracking where millions in funding has been spent. A fire burning north of Bishop in central California's grow to almost sixteen hundred acres. Firefighters continue to be challenged by strong, gusty wins, but they were able to stop the fire's forward progress and start drawing lines around At the fires, forty seven percent surrounded. Evacuation orders remain in place in parts of both Inyo and Mono Counties. There will be no USC UCLA rematch or match up in the Final four of the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament. USC's hopes of advancing to its first women's Final four and almost forty years deflated with a seventy eight sixty four loss to Connecticut last night in Spokane, Connecticut now moves on to face UCLA in the women's Final four Friday. At six oh five, It's handle on the news with Neil Sevedra Corey Booker still talking. He hasn't stopped for like thirteen hours. Tell you what that's all about. Right now, Let's check in with ABC's Jim Ryan. So Jim two weeks ago, Crew nine with Colonel Nick Haig, Russian cosmonaut, and then Sunny Williams and Butch Wilmore return to Earth.
Speaker 4: What have they been doing for the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 11: Getting used to gravity, getting used to food and seeing their families and being on the ground essentially, you know, So it's been kind of a reacting process. They've been in quarantine essentially, mainly for their own protection because there's a clean environment up there aboard the International Space Station. They haven't been exposed to things like the common cold or measles or anything else that's going around on this planet. So they gradually reacclimate to the Earth's environment and the potential threats that are out there. To that, they've also been building up their physical endurance. Now. Sunny Williams did two hours worth of exercise aboard the International Space Station every day and has managed to maintain her conditioning. So she said that she went on a three mile run yesterday before giving the first interview that she had Wilmore had given since they got back from the Issamy.
Speaker 1: I would imagine that running after running in space, because I've seen some of the video of her on the space station. They've got her like sideways, just running away, but they're strapped down to hold them down, so they don't just float around. I would imagine running now just feels like really heavy.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, I can imagine.
Speaker 1: Yeah I did.
Speaker 11: But she did three miles, so she's kind of back up to it now, she says. Sonny said that as they were aboard the space station, they really didn't know about all the love and support they were getting in concern from people down here on Earth about this extended stay they were going through on the ISS.
Speaker 7: I don't think we were aware to the degree, pretty honored and humbled by the fact of when we came home, like, wow, there's there are a lot of people who are interested, very thankful, very amazed that we could hopefully be one positive element to bring people together.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that. And I watched part of it because it was on and I was on the air, and so I wasn't able to pay attention to all of what's going on. But they were talking about some of the things that they missed while they were up in space.
Speaker 11: Yes, well, Sonny, the first thing she did for her first meal, it wasn't lobster, it wasn't a trip to the buffet. It was a grilled cheese sandwich. Just simple things like that, you know, that you take for granted here on Earth and when you're off in the International Space Station. I don't know if they're eating Pillsbury space food snacks or what exactly, but so they missed just those common little things like that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 11: The reason they were up there so long, of course, is that the Boeing star Line of that took Williams and Wilmore to the ISS had a technical issue. NASSA brought it back down to Earth. It was fine, there wasn't a problem with it, but in an abundance of caution, it was brought back without the crew board. So who gets the blame for all of this? Butch Wilmore, who was the crew flight test chief, puts it this way.
Speaker 12: Responsibility with Boeing, yes, Responsibility with NASA yes.
Speaker 11: And he says that he, too, amy bears some responsibility. He says that there are things that he should have asked before they left, asked about this new Boeing Starliner that he didn't ask, and so he takes some of the blame for that too.
Speaker 4: Imagine that taking responsibility. What a what a novel?
Speaker 1: Idea.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow. So aside from the getting to see their families and grilled cheese sandwiches and say that they were not quite aware of how much support they were getting down here. Did they have any other kind of revelations or anything that they shared surprising things?
Speaker 11: Well, listening to during the news conference they took, there was a phone bridge and so they were taking questions from all over the place. An Indian reporter asked Sonny Williams, who is of Indian descent, what it was like to fly over India, and she talked and she had a really great description of it. To the himalay Is on one side, you could see them, you know, jutting up off the planet, off the surface, and then this vast flat expanse. And she could pick out cities at night based on the lights, and pick out communities during the daytime. And so that was kind of an interesting thing. You know that they're up there as scientists, they're up there doing these experiments and keeping the iss and repair, but also in a way they're tourists. Wilmore took hundreds of photographs while he was up there.
Speaker 1: That's so cool. What an amazing experience, And think about when we got to talk to Colonel Haig, he was like talking about just every once in a while he'd take a break and just look out and see the world and just go wow, you know, just like, oh, inspiring is so cool? All right? How long are they in quarantine?
Speaker 3: Jim? Do we know?
Speaker 11: They've wrapped it up and they should be able to go home now, home being you know, their homes in Houston. They do all their training and work at Johnson Space Center. They both said, you know, if we could go back into space, we would do it again. But he is sixty two, she's fifty nine. I think so their time as actual astronauts might be an end, but I suspect NASA we'll have jobs for them for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 1: Well, if it's their last strip to space. They got their money's worth.
Speaker 11: Right, two hundred and eighty six days worth.
Speaker 1: Instead of eight. Yep, all right, ABC's Jim Ryan, thanks so much for the information. We always appreciate it.
Speaker 11: Thanks Amy, all right.
Speaker 1: A multimillion dollar jewelry heist has landed a man from Long Beach in federal prison.
Speaker 6: The group of guys scouted and then robbed luxury jewels in Beverly Hills three years ago. They got away with two point seven million dollars in loot, but they left lots of clues at the scene. The car they stole to take them there, one of the guy's phones, and then laddel Tharp posted photos of the stolen jewels on Instagram. He pleaded guilty to his role in the crime back in September. He was just sentenced to seven years in federal prison. The others have already pleaded guilty. They've been sentenced also for their roles in the heist. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Legislation that would give home buying assistant to descends of slaves in California's moving forward. The bill made it through a committee, but there are concerns over whether it's legal and who qualifies for it. The bill's author says it would not be limited to just black Californians. Her grandson is mixed race, and under the bill, he'd qualify. The bill moves on to another committee next. A group of mostly illegal immigrants has been rescued from a boat off the coast of southern California.
Speaker 12: The US Coast Guard, along with a navy were able to pluck seventeen migrants and one American from a vessel. It happened Sunday morning. That boat, which officials say was taking on water, was fifty miles off the coast of San Diego.
Speaker 1: Kay if Ice Phil Farars's. All eighteen people were transferred to the custody of Homeland Security. The Hooter's restaurant chain has filed for bankruptcy. ABC's Alex Stones's. The chains known for wings, beer and friendly staff.
Speaker 10: CEO says a company will reinvent itself in what he has called Rehooterization. They plan to get rid of the riskue, male clientele, image and things like MKINI amid changing customer preferences. They want to make Hooters and more family friendly restaurant.
Speaker 1: I love that Hooters closed forty restaurants last year as it tried to improve its finances. Paris Hilton is helping victims of the Eton fire. Her nonprofit has begun giving out more than a million dollars in grants to women owned small businesses impact by the Eton fire in Altadena. The grand program is expected to provide twenty five thousand dollars grants to about fifty recipients. Two schools in Anaheim are taking steps to keep kids from vaping on campus. Cyprus High School and Laara High School have installed vape detectors in bathrooms and locker rooms. If the device detects vape smoke, it'll alert school staff through an app. The devices also monitor loud noises, which could help staff members quickly respond to fights. The snowpack is pretty close to where it needs to be for this time of year. The California Department of Water Resources sy snow levels are at ninety percent of normal. Recent storms have helped boost water levels. The Sierra Nevada snowpack provides about a third of the state's water on average at six o five. It is handle on the news. Everything costs more in La County starting today, and it has nothing to do with Trump's tariffs plan. It again, because I love this thing. Let's say good morning now to kfi's Rory O'Neill. Rory, we thought it was just a movie, but the CIA search for the Arc of the Covenant is real.
Speaker 2: It has been, and in fact, this is all because of a New York Post story that got floated last week.
Speaker 5: It's kept the Internet on fire. This is not a hoax.
Speaker 2: But this is a report that was declassified in two thousand talking about an event that happened back in nineteen eighty eight when they were using remote viewers psychics to try to find these mysterious objects. Now, in this report from December fifth to nineteen eighty eight, one of these so called psychics claims that they have sort of found the area where they could discover the arc of the Covenant. It was described as a gilded box with some angels on the top of it, and it was being kept in a dark, damp, wet place. They talked about hearing Arabic voices around it, seeing buildings with domes, and then an energy field that was protecting this object of an unknown origin.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, so the psychic said they saw it, but then did anybody actually see it?
Speaker 2: Well, that may be a different CIA report that hasn't been declassified yet. But the psychic or the person who was doing the remote viewing number thirty two, by the way, didn't get much more specific than saying it was in the Middle East, So.
Speaker 5: Not a whole lot of help and that description.
Speaker 2: You know, let's be right part of the world at least right sort of, but you know, there are some tales of the Ark of the Covenant that could be as far away as Ethiopia. It may have been destroyed in some of the wars that were happening at the time. It may have been buried somewhere, so a lot of different folklore is out there. So much so they made a movie about it in nineteen eighty one, I.
Speaker 4: Know, one of the best movies ever.
Speaker 2: Right, absolutely, although I think the third one is better than the first one.
Speaker 5: But that's another one.
Speaker 1: Oh, the one with his dad John Connick.
Speaker 5: That's a good movie.
Speaker 1: The second one was my least favorite.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and then the new ones we don't really discuss.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, they kind of don't count a nice idea, but anyway, okay, so here's a question for you, Rory. So it was declassified in two thousand. This happened in eighty eight or twelve years later. But why did it pick ups seem just now? I mean, you said the Washington Post people wrote an article about it, But what happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the New York Post, And yeah it was the most that they did the article. And I don't know why they picked up on it last week of all weeks. I think it was talking about the CIA and some of the document sharing and stuff sort of half related to the whole signal app business, the fact that the CIA director was queued in on that group, and I think it was some scrutiny there, But yeah, it certainly has everyone talking again about the arc of the Covenant. And I've been hearing that theme song now play every day in my head, dozens of times a day.
Speaker 1: And we extended it because we were actually supposed to talk to you earlier this week, but you weren't available, so we just extended your Raiders of the Law, Stark, So are there any is there any talk of looking for this now that we've heard of?
Speaker 2: Yeah, not particularly, but it is remarkable that this whole remote viewing thing was being taken so seriously by the CIA in the nineteen eighties. Again, the nineteen eighties, Ronald Reagan was leaving the White House.
Speaker 5: He was a lame duck by the time this happened. In December of that.
Speaker 2: Year, George Bush, the first Bush President, was about to come in and.
Speaker 5: Still we had remote viewer number thirty two.
Speaker 1: Well that's what I was just saying. At number thirty two, how many there?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, they didn't get any more specific about this whole operation that they had been running.
Speaker 5: And that's also part of it.
Speaker 2: I mean, was it just a phone call to a nine hundred called a miss Cleo back in the day that that qualify.
Speaker 5: As being remote viewer number two?
Speaker 2: But it's pretty remarkable the scope of this investigation and what they would do is they would just sort of give the psychic some basic requests of you know, we're trying to find a special object, and then this is what they came back with, this description of the gilded box and its approximate size and how it was decorated and where it might be.
Speaker 1: Right, well, before we leave, this is what I'm going to say. That great as the last art came out in nineteen eighty one, right, yep, so nineteen eighty eight, and.
Speaker 4: She goes, oh, it's this bucks and it's in the Middle East.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, she just watched the movie or.
Speaker 2: It could have been The Ten Commandments. Yeah, you know it was December. Maybe they were showing that again. You know, back when we watched TV movies, it was.
Speaker 4: All right, well we'll play this for you one more time.
Speaker 5: Great, thank you.
Speaker 1: Kfis worry O'Neil. Have a great day all right, Time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Courtney. Amazon is bringing back screening its warehouse workers because yeah, they're stealing.
Speaker 13: Yes, good morning Amazon. Those metal detectors were going to see them. They want to screen the workers leaving the warehouses. So this theft prevention measure, it was suspended during the pandemic, but here's a new measure that they're going to try to implement. Sources are telling us here at Bloomberg that Amazon's asking employees to register their personal phones so security knows they aren't stolen. So the company's starting to inform certain locations about this phone policy this week, but Amazon aims to roll out both measures to all its facilities sometimes throughout the year.
Speaker 4: How how much theft are we talking about?
Speaker 1: Did they did?
Speaker 13: They say, they didn't say how much. But for them to bring this back, I'm sure this is a major issue for them. They said in this phone registration issue that employees are going to have to share the last six digits of the serial number and then they're going to receive a sticker to place on the device so it lets security personnel knows it belongs to the worker, and it will help to screen up the process, screen the process, and we can move along a little bit safter. Because there was an issue a couple of years ago where there were a lot of log jams at the facilities because workers complained that they were stuck in line for as long as twenty five minutes without compensation, waiting to be screened on their way out of the warehouse. So this has been a pretty big point of contention between Amazon and its hourly warehouse workers for a long time. So this is it was stopped during the pandemic, and now it seems to be these security lines are going to be coming back.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that's too bad, but I guess it's good that they're going to cut down on theft.
Speaker 4: It's too bad that people are sealing from their players.
Speaker 1: Tinder trying to win over gen z daters.
Speaker 4: What are they doing.
Speaker 13: Yes, they're rolling out a game where you flirt with a chatbot. I don't know how I feel about that one. But users can accumulate points for warmth and curiosity, receive real time feedback on their responses, and ultimately win the game if their AI character verbally agrees to a date, so plays are limited to about five a day. You can only play this five times, but Tinder says the goal is to give users the space to build a little more confidence before diving into those real conversations with other daters. Okay, I go, I don't know about this one, you know. I mean, I'm I'm a single lady. I don't know how I would feel about playing a pretend game. I mean, well, I mean your guys. I don't know. Well, if it might make other guys a little bit better communicating on the app, well then maybe in my work.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you flirt with the chatbot, you get this great quote relationship, and then you meet the real person.
Speaker 13: You go, oh, exactly, It's like I thought it was so good at this. Okay, they say it's going to be it's fun and judgment free.
Speaker 4: Nothing is judgment free, Courtney.
Speaker 14: Come on, I know, well that's what they say. I did not say that. I'm just And they called the chatbot the game game. They call the game game the game game.
Speaker 1: When you're looking at the stock market game.
Speaker 4: What's going on with that today?
Speaker 13: So yeah, well, taking a look, we've been seeing a lot of volatility overall, it's it's gripped the markets. Yesterday, stocks are actually erased earlier losses and managed to finish the day higher. So we're expected to maybe see the same thing again today. Yesterday the down jump four hundred and eighteen points. We have to keep the mind it's the worst month and quarter for the S and P since twenty twenty two. Now this morning, we are kicking off April on a down note.
Speaker 5: But it was a switch.
Speaker 13: We were higher earlier, maybe about two hours ago. But the confusion about whether the President's going to be leaning or tough when it comes to tariffs is making a lot of investors less willing to make those risky bets, and stocks are definitely a risky bet. Down futures right now are down two hundred and fifty points.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow is going to be interesting when the tariffs actually kick in, Oh, no doubt about it.
Speaker 13: And especially for the fact that we really don't know what's in place. And again, what Wall Street does not like is uncertainty, and we're getting a lot of uncertainty every single day here.
Speaker 4: Absolutely that's getting in your business.
Speaker 1: With Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe, Thanks so much, Courtney let's do it again tomorrow.
Speaker 13: Shall we exactly see you later?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Gas prices are getting closer to five dollars a gallon again. The average price for regular unletted was up for the tenth time in eleven days to just under four eighty seven a gallon. Prices are up about twenty cents, actually more than twenty cents in the last ten days, and Orange County gas is just under forty five. The La City Council plans to vote today on an ordinance that would set up a right to Council program, providing legal defense to renters who were facing eviction. It would also require landlords to inform tenants about their rights. The La County Board of Supervisors approved a similar policy last year. A missing painting of President George Washington's been recovered by Colorado police. The painting is two hundred years old. It was reported stolen in January of twenty twenty four. It was found in a hotel room in Denver. Police are investigating the theft or just minutes away from Handle on the news this morning. It is election day in Wisconsin and Florida. While a lot of people around the US are watching those closely. Let's say good morning now too. The host of How to Money on KFI, Joel Larsgard, Joel, Liberation Day is tomorrow. What is that going to mean?
Speaker 15: Oh yeah, that's like what everyone's this rush on everyone's mind because we don't really know. The Liberation Day talk has been kind of sort of specific but also intentionally vague, and so I guess like the great unveiling will come tomorrow and we'll all find out what thatck we're talking about. But certainly it's going to mean increase tariffs on other countries who the President feel that the President feels like we don't have a reasonable trading balance with And so I think what that means for consumers at the end of the day is higher prices on certain goods, and it means right now a lot of uncertainty for businesses. And so it's been I would say it's been a tough start to the year economically and on the macro perspective, just because of the severe uncertainty in the fact that businesses are just like, where's this going, and the lack of clarity, which maybe we'll get more tomorrow has been one of the toughest things the tariff part is tough, but the uncertainty part is tougher.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then and I guess these are questions that we won't know because you just said we kind of don't know until we know. But you know, like, are they going to start passing those increases along immediately?
Speaker 4: Is there going to be some lag time?
Speaker 15: So typically I would say the lag time isn't long. It's it's interesting because consumers have if you look at the numbers, already said but we're looking down the line and we're seeing the fact that prices are going to go upon cars potentially significantly, and so I'm going to go buy a new car. Now you and I have talked about that, and how well if it wasn't already on your plan, Like you don't want to go out and buy a car just because prices are likely to go up. But it's true, like consumers are changing behavior and their front loading purchases because of the reality of tariffs coming in, especially when they know in advance it's not going to be long before because of the way the supply chain works and the economy functions, it's not going to be too long before we see rises and prices on some of the things where tariffs are implemented, and so the Yale budget predicts that if there are like twenty percent broad based tariffs, the average household is going to feel the pain between like three and four thousand dollars in lost purchasing power per year.
Speaker 5: So that's a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can add that on to the twenty percent inflation we've seen in the last couple of years. That's another just keep piling.
Speaker 15: On, right, And it's I think it's exactly the opposite of what they were hoping for in a lot of ways when they opted for President Trump at the ballot box. Was hey, like, lower prices is a huge part of the reason I'm going in this direction. And then lower prices and tariffs, well, you just can't really utter them in the same breadth because they're they're going in opposite directions. Again, I think there are geopolitical reasons for certain specified tariffs, but I think for the most part this is this isn't great policy, at least from a consumer standpoint.
Speaker 1: Okay, speaking of consumers and money and having it or not. We have tax stage is two weeks away, although in La County you do have the extension because of the fires. It's everybody in La County has an extra six months, So October fifteenth is the deadline. But that means that probably fewer people have filed at this point.
Speaker 15: That's exactly because of natural disasters California and North Carolina other parts of the South, when Hurricane Helene came through, some people have extra time, and so the IRS did announce, Hey, we're actually seeing we've had fewer filings so far than we did last year. But I think that makes sense because of the number of people overall who don't have to file yet, who have essentially the ability to file in October and not pay any sort of penalty, which is great. If you don't live in La County, it's time to get on it, right, You got two weeks left, And I just want to say, like one of my favorite places for people to consider filing their taxes, it's cash app Taxes, and cash app is is typically like a peer to peer payment service. They bought this service from Credit Karma and it's the only legitimate free service I know of for federal and state filing, and it's pretty robust, like they do a pretty good job. So that's one to consider, especially if you have a not very complex tax return that you need to file. If you have a very complex tax return, it's typically a good idea to hire somebody to help you with that. And just know that you're probably at this point, even if you find somebody who says I'm willing to do your taxes, you're likely filing extension if you don't live in La County in order to in order to have longer two file. That still doesn't mean that you don't have to pay estimated taxes if you're going to owe money, but you might still need to file extension anyway. You might not be able to get it done in time if you're finding someone else to help you with that with your taxes.
Speaker 1: Okay, Joel Larsgard, the host of How to Money every Sunday from noon to two on CAFI, always such great advice and we appreciate it. I hope you get a big refund this year.
Speaker 15: Thanks you too.
Speaker 5: Hate me?
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. A judge in New Mexico's denied the release of certain court records. They show the bodies of Gene Hackman and his wife, Betsy Arakawa. The couple's estate fought against making the records public, which include an autopsy report. Hackman and Arakawa died inside their home in February. Authorities announced last month that Hackman died of heart disease with complications from Alzheimer's, about a week after his wife died from hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. San Diego Republican Assemblyman Carl Demyo says a Democrat member's response to his comments about Caesar Chavez were way out of line.
Speaker 16: The Mayo was addressing the state Assembly on Friday when he said Chavez opposed illegal immigration and supported a secure border. He tells kfi's John Cobel. Democrat Cory Jackson lashed out at those comments.
Speaker 13: I'm calling on the Democrats who run the show up in Sacramento.
Speaker 12: Don't allow this sort of behavior.
Speaker 16: To Mayo, says, Jackson had to be restrained by Assembly security. Deborah mark Ye Fine News.
Speaker 1: A sixty three year old woman in me and Maher, has been rescued from the rubble of last week's Magnitude seven point seven earthquake. Hope of finding more survivors is fading. Experts say the likelihood of finding survivors drops dramatically after seventy two hours. Officials say more than twenty seven hundred people have died since the quake hit Friday, and that number is expected to rise. The World Health Organization says more than ten thousand buildings overall are known to have collapsed or been severely damaged in central and northwest man Marm. The earthquake also shook neighboring Thailand, causing a high rise building under construction a collapse. Officials say a lot of workers were buried in the rubble. Three bodies have been recovered, dozens are still missing. Overall, there were twenty one people killed and thirty four hurt in Bangkok, most of them at the construction site. Onto more positive news, The Wiggle Waggle Walk is coming up. We are like five days out. It's the Wiggle Waggle Walk and run for passing. Danny Humane would love to have you join our team. It's happening Sunday, April sixth at Brookside Park at the Rosepole. Grab the dog's leash, don't forget the dog, and come on down and take a walk with us. The event opens at eight. The walk and Run starts at nine. If you would love to walk a little bit, we would love for you to walk with us. A We even have a team, the Wake Up Call Wigglers, and you can join the team or just make a donation or do both. Anything you can do to help Pasadena Humaneus much appreciated. KFI AM six forty dot com slash Wiggle will Cole Streiber. I know you can't be there, but thank you for your donation. I appreciate it. Okay, please join us again. It's this Sunday the Wiggle Wackle Wiggle Waggle Walk.
Speaker 4: And Run for Pasadena You Maine.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland. Weather from KFI partly cloudy skies with gusty winds kicking in this afternoon, lasting through tonight. I will be in the low to mid sixties at the coast Metro LA and Inlando c mid sixties in the valleys, in ie fifties in the Anelope Valley. It's going to be Sunday tomorrow with highs in the sixties. Fifty four now in Dana point fifty five in Long Beach forty nine Woodland Hills fifty five in Fountain Valley. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you missed a lot. You can listen at anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.