Speaker 1: Time for another soccer down here, one v one and for this one we head to new Haven. New Haven United FC is in the NPSL and they ain't wasting no time.
Speaker 2: They're coming in for the twenty twenty five season.
Speaker 1: New Haven United FC's club president Jason Price hanging out with us here for a one v one. Jason, thanks for dropping by, Congratulations.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, Thanks for having me. I'm excited to talk about what we're up.
Speaker 1: To, going back to the beginning of this idea, the genesis of the whole thing. How far back are we talking And you know, was it guys sitting at a table with an idea and yeah, hey, let's do that and then it goes off. But how far back are we talking about the idea of having new Haven United as a franchise and then in the NPSL.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So for me, it was a gradual process over maybe maybe six years or so. And you know, I got involved in soccer through youth youth soccer, and you know, a group of kids.
Speaker 3: That I knew really well.
Speaker 4: And you know, I support a lot of things in the community. One of the things I support is youth soccer. And I have a friend who owns a USL team that's nearby. He wanted to start an academy. I knew of a group of young boys at that time, you fourteen that you know, we're right for kind of helping him build an academy within a professional organization. But you know, the idea was building from the bottom up fourteen and the fifteen's after, and then from the top, from the bottom to the top. And what actually ended up happening in that process is this was right during COVID and once they started playing games, they realized they were starting with no fans, which means, you know, most of these teams are kind of losing money, just like a lot of other you know, professional teams during that period. So there wasn't really a budget to starting the academy while you're trying to keep the engine running for at that time, what was like a startup USL team. So because I was sort of you know, the catalysts were getting some of these families together and you know, kind of bringing these sort of mls next kids at that time, it was a da together to kind of grow and maybe have a pathway.
Speaker 3: To the pros.
Speaker 4: I said, all right, well, if we can't pay to get the right kind of coaches in here. We can't pay to the capitol to have a lot of the resources you would need to really build it.
Speaker 3: I'll put some of my money into.
Speaker 4: It, and I literally put on you know, the jersey and the swag and the badge, and you know, I was there.
Speaker 3: Sort of like a manager.
Speaker 4: And what ended up happening is I learned a lot about youth soccer, learned a lot about you know, kind of the youth player and the pathway. But most importantly, I just fell in love with with soccer, you know, in general, both domestically and internationally. So as these kids began to progress and grow, they started playing in the UPSL. So they were playing you know, against men fairly early, and you know, I.
Speaker 3: Was funding that. And then I lived in New Haven.
Speaker 4: This team wasn't really based out of New Haven, And because I do a lot in the community, I started to think about, you know, not only the game that I was beginning to love, but also started thinking about, you know, how can an amateur pro am team really impact community, and how could you connect you know, the love of the game and the passion for the game with the fans and the citizens of New Haven who loved soccer, and you know, to be honest, this was an entry level where I could get involved and do all of those things, you know, follow my passion, my hobby, support you know, the upcoming player, and also entertain and delight the New Hyme community. So that's really the longest short of high guy from point A to point B.
Speaker 1: Why the NPSL, Because today there's an alphabet soup. You've got a bunch of different leagues doing a bunch of different things in a bunch of different directions. What was it about the NPSL that locked you into them as the league of choice?
Speaker 4: So it has it has all the components I think for somebody who you know, wants to achieve a few things. You know, one is to build you know, a franchise for a community. The quality of play is high. A lot of research on looking at the us L two versus n PSL, and you know, I sort of looked at the quality of the player, the quality of the competition, you know, the the leaite management gms and where a lot of those players ended up after you know, having in a summer with the team, and you know, it's almost equivalent if you look at the players that are drafted out of the NPSLS for the D one players in the us L two players. And so we decided to go in PSL only because you know, it was the best bit within the ecosystem in and around Behavin. So we have a couple of USL two teams to the north of us one that's not too far away.
Speaker 3: And then a couple that are kind of the New York area.
Speaker 4: So MPSL checked all the boxes agatively allows us to do what we want to do in the community. And you know, I should say, even though we're not USL too, we want to be a compliment to the community in ecosystem. So maybe you know we're not playing them directly in lead competition, but you know, I know those owners and those managers and you know a lot of players that play there, and so you know, the end of the day, we don't own players.
Speaker 3: There needs to be fluidy.
Speaker 4: The more teams are playing at that level, my opinion is the better. And you know, we want to be a compliment to the ecosystem. And you know, whether we're USL two INPSL UPSL, you know we feel that we're poison.
Speaker 3: We're in position to you know, show up, show up the right way.
Speaker 2: And the runway that you have is very short, because.
Speaker 3: Very very short.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like seasons coming up just around the corner, and you know what is it like? How frantic is it to get everything in line so you can hit the ground running at full song knowing that it might be you know, it's two months away for having a product on the field, but there's a lot of the infrastructure stuff and the stuff that folks don't see on a game day that you've got to get in line so you can be ready for twenty five. How how are things there on this very very short runway with a very large plane trying to take off?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so so John's that's a very stude question. You're right about all that. It's a short runway and there's a lot to do.
Speaker 4: Quite honestly, I don't think I would be able to pull this off in the city that that I'm not, you know, if I wasn't from that city, and if I didn't you know, no particular stakeholders in this market that can help me solve some of the issues that we need to solve in order to get ready to compete and.
Speaker 3: So you know, you know this, but maybe some others don't know it. I mean, you know, you have set set up a legal entity, right, boring stuff.
Speaker 4: You have to you know, you have to be insured, you have to find a venue, you have to get your you know, your badge and your graphic design and your brand identity together.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm in other businesses and I have other businesses that have some of those components that could help me, you know, kind of sprint to the finish line. But I think at the end of the day, you know, we have the foundation of something and playing the long term game that will help us, you know, kind of check the boxes in you know, a few different areas.
Speaker 3: So one is, you know, we want to build a culture in.
Speaker 4: The community this team, and we want the community to know that this is for them. And on game day we're trying to entertain them and they should have a good time through and by watching you know, a strong band brand of football.
Speaker 3: That's the first thing. The second thing is.
Speaker 4: You know, you want to have a group of young men that are you know, of the level and can compete and you know, by no means do I think you know you end up at the top of the league in your first year. But you know, we definitely want to be as competitive as we can be, and so we we have that in place, and then I think the last thing that we want to do is, you know, we want to really push and champion the game of soccer and do it the right way because you know, I think that we're in a very very interesting time in the you know, the competitive soccer landscape amidst all of the alphabet suit you know, MLS, USO pso that you know, you can show that there's a commune unity that's engaged in the game, you know, far beyond what you know, people who haven't really been initiated to the soccer community understand.
Speaker 3: So there's a whole lot of storytelling, a whole.
Speaker 4: Lot of branding, a whole lot of partnerships that can happen, you know, through what I think is a beautiful game. So you know, if we can nail those three things in year one, including the game day experience, then that's a foundation for building, you know, trying things, breaking things, and trying to fix it. But we're really focused on, you know, making sure that our houses in order feel the competitive team. And then we have a great game day experience and then you know, we'll build from there.
Speaker 3: So we have that. It's been a lot, but we have in.
Speaker 1: Place when it comes to the to do list that we talk about here over the next sixty days or so. Could be in a you know, it could be in a shared Google doc someplace on a computer that everybody dives into. Could be on your phone, could be on a legal pad, could be on a ring binder that's hidden in your office someplace. Or it could be on one of those big eight foot by ten foot long white dry erase boards. It's got a bunch of different colors and lines and everything. Where is it?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: What do you think the next thing that you can cross off of that to do list is as you're on this runway.
Speaker 3: So it's everywhere.
Speaker 4: So it's it's you know, text messages amongst the team, face to face meetings with whiteboards, you know Google Drive that has all of the documents, and you know brand identity and you know all of the material that we need to collaborate and work together. I mean that we're using technology and that kind of stuff. I mean, so you know those are all in improper places. I think the next thing that we need to do is really you know, work on our game day experience and really prepare for you know, what fans are going to see the day that they show up to restadium, which is you know, a university place seats about fifteen hundred and two thousand fans.
Speaker 3: You know, it would be great if we could fill that at some point.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't expect to fill a day one, but you know, you wanted to light the fans and give them something and give them an experience on day one because you hope that you know they're entertaining, that they go and tell somebody else and you know you have twenty percent more fans the next time. But you know, having you know, you know, with an understanding of project management or been an entrepreneur, you know, comfortable working in chaos. We know, we know that there's a date, there's a deadline to make sure that we can hit you know, all the points that we need to hit. When somebody walks out of their car and they begin to walk up into the game, and where they sit and what they see and what happens and who's announcing, and you know, can they buy swag?
Speaker 3: So you know that's not a one thing. It's a multiple thing. But I think, you know, in.
Speaker 4: Terms of the you know, i'd say the one thing that we need to nail is it's kind of like our debut. You know, we're spending time on what that experience looks like and making sure that we, you know, have mitigans in place to assure that we don't have any hiccups.
Speaker 3: Lets gonna start playing.
Speaker 1: What have you learned about yourself in this process? Knowing that Okay, we're in we've found our league, and oh, you know what, we've got to launch and be ready for the twenty five season in a conference that has more first year clubs in it then it does clubs with experience in it. I mean, it says a lot about the NPSL and the desire for folks that want to be in it where they're having to break things up and you've got a lot of new first year of partners in your conference. What have you learned about yourself in this process?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm a risk taker. You know, I'm comfortable with it. You know, I've been in this position before, like trying to race to get something done in a short period of time. You know, you you don't always have the resources that you needed hand to do everything as quickly as you want. And if we all had, you know, a billion dollars, you just farm it all out and it happens we don't. And you know, I think what I'm learning is an extension of the kind of leader I want to be, and that is, you know, you have to pick the people that show up with the same kind of energy, they have the same ethics and have the same you know, goals.
Speaker 3: And that.
Speaker 4: You know, I've learned that you know, I can't do everything, and that you have to be able to count. You need to be able to count on individuals that have the judgment, hustle and you know, the knowledge to get things done.
Speaker 3: And you know what, I spend a lot of time. I spend a lot of time talking to a team.
Speaker 4: About you know, we might have some arguments behind the scene means they disagree, but we have a methodology for disagreeing.
Speaker 3: And then once we decide to do something, we go forward. And you know, we go forward.
Speaker 4: And if you need somebody something, you reach out and the expectation that you hit your deadline. And I'm gonna try to hit my deadline and call me out if if I'm not hitting my deadline, and you know, I think, just to sum up the question or my answer to the question is just you know that I can lead in chaos and you know, kind of staying even in the process.
Speaker 2: New Haven United f C.
Speaker 1: Joining the NPSL, hanging out with his president Jason Price. Here for a soccer down here one v one. Have you always been someone that is better cramming for an exam instead of having a long time and having a deadline?
Speaker 2: Have you? Have you always been that way?
Speaker 4: Bring to cramming for an exam to use that example. But but but but I am okay, I'm okay with uncertainty and uh and risk and uh. You know, I kind of fear of the unknown. So I'm comfortable in those spaces. I like those spaces.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: My background was in you know, projectquity asked at management. I was working for an institution.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: At one point I was working with a friend from business school and he was kind of saying, hey, I'm thinking about doing my own thing.
Speaker 3: Ultimately I decided to join him. Went to my wife and said.
Speaker 4: Hey, you know, there might be a period where let's do something. But you know, we may not make any income for a little while, and you know.
Speaker 3: And that's risky.
Speaker 4: And we got into this sort of entrepreneurial endeavor that was fairly successful.
Speaker 3: But I actually enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: You know, I enjoyed the chaos of you know, kind of showing up trying to figure it out, and he kind of gradually, you know, right sizing in the organization and you know that process, you learned to count on people and kind of back up and then you know, you kind of go from boots on the ground to a governors role.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know if people call that cramming or being good at cramming or you know, any of those things, but you know, I'm very comfortable in it. A lot of it is just wisdom having done it before. And you know, this isn't to say that I'm perfect. I've made any mistakes and business and in life. But you know, I'll tell you one thing. You know, you're going through that sort of you know endeavor, you want to be with people and an individuals who are like minded and you know, see the world the same way.
Speaker 2: So then have you always thought of yourself as a builder?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean more recently, I'm calling myself a builder, you know, kind of in hindsight. But if I if I look at kind of my resume and you know, kind of where I deviate from the path, it's usually around you know, opportunities and ideas where there's some building involved, and I mean like building buildings brick and mortar, as well as building institutions and organizations.
Speaker 1: When it comes to your phone and communications, I know that you're looking for a specific kind of individual, both on the field and off to represent New Haven the way that you want it. Has either your phone or your WhatsApp or your text messaging or your emails, have they all blown up for folks that have wanted to dive into help to be a part of this with you, Yeah, in.
Speaker 3: A good way.
Speaker 4: I mean most most of the people I know, you know in and around this soccer community, and I'll call it kind of like you know, fear for New York up to Boston have you know, kind of reached out and they're excited and you know the comments and emails are full of which is you know, you know there's folks from various kind of constituencies and stakeholders who you know won't be involved from the fans and who remember Elm City, who you know, were kind of building off of that legacy. So Elm City was in this town and you know, don't forget about them because you know they kind of paved the way and you know, they were successful. So it gave me confidence that we could be successful in this market. So they're kind of coming out of the woodworks and saying, hey, we're excited to have another you know it's not hon City, but we're excited to have another team. And you know, then you have a sponsors who you know just want to see a good brand of football soccer and you know, so kind of raised their hands. We'll see if they actually come through financially with you know, sponsorships.
Speaker 3: I hope they do.
Speaker 4: But you know, it's been really, really you know, pleasant experience at this point.
Speaker 1: New Haven United going into the North Atlantic Conference with American Soccer Club New York.
Speaker 2: We caught up with them earlier this year.
Speaker 1: Hertford City, who's been established in the NP they've made deep runs in the playoffs in the past, New Haven, New York Shockers, and Osner's FC.
Speaker 2: We caught up with Osners as well. Have you had a.
Speaker 1: Chance to gauge the competition in the conference and sit there and say, yeah, okay, or have you guys compared notes the first year the first year folks, have you guys compared notes about where you are in the process and help out each other.
Speaker 3: So not yet, but but I'm open to it.
Speaker 4: I know the teams. I think they're very, very good teams. I think they all have like great reputation. I think, uh, you know, my number one goal is to a symbol a team that elevates the conference. Right, and that doesn't mean, you know, when every game come in at the top of the league at first, but you know, you want to have a team that challenges your competition because I believe, you know, the league is as strong as their weakest link. So you know, if there is an honor code, you know, the real honor code is that we will go out and we'll find the players, and you know, we will create a roster full of mostly division IE players and you know, maybe some out of contract pros or some pre pro players that battles, you know, and then you know, we'll compete on the field and then afterwards, hopefully we can have a bureauer coffee afterwards, and you know, if I can learn a lot from them, quite honestly, you know, I know at from I don't know him personally, but I know a lot of people from the Albany area, and I know that his game day then is spectacular. It's like small and intimate, but they have a lot of fans and you know, there's beer flowing and people are excited. You know, I definitely know hard for an athlete, put me hard for an athlete. But Hartford City, I know they put on a great show. And I haven't met oser yet to look forward to, but I but you know, but want to be honest that you know, we'll do our best, quite honestly, to to kind of show up, you know, near the level or at the level that's expected for a league that has a good reputation.
Speaker 1: And we are looking forward to those next steps. New Haven United dot com on the world Wide Web, on Facebook, New Haven United FC. On the IG, the gram or the insta, whatever the kids call it these days, it is United FC and on the two hundred and eighty character app it is n H United FC.
Speaker 2: Jason Price uh.
Speaker 1: Looking forward to seeing how things are going to go there and New and new Haven with New Hay in United FC joining a very very tough conference out of the blocks. Nice mix of first year clubs and experienced clubs. Thanks for dropping by for a one B one.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate it. I appreciate the conversation.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna send you a scar for the head once we prin them up, and we appreciate the support.
Speaker 3: This has been fantastic.
Speaker 1: Thanks always, always, always. We will catch up with you soon, my friend. Looking forward to it here in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Talk soon, John, Thank you very much