Speaker 1: Johnline Weather forecast two day cloudy range shown up around three pm and high forty eight, heavy rain overnight. Forty three will be the overnight low.
Speaker 2: So not too much will drop there.
Speaker 1: Spotty range tomorrow morning with more showers later in the afternoon at some point fifty eight to the high end of thirty two overnight with clouds and a cloudy Saturday high of forty five twenty seven degrees. Right now, if you've about kerr CE talk station, time for a traffic update.
Speaker 3: Chuck from the UCLP Traffic Center. Expect more and you see help, more clinical trials, more treatment obsens for personalized care, more chances to get you back to being You visit ucehelp dot com. Highways not all that bad now. North Pound seventy five are x clear near the bridge. Sudden the backup's gone. I'm not seeing any problems. Northbound four seventy one into town. Fifty two is shut down in Claremont County between seven forty three and Nevill's Spur due to our wreck outside of Moscow. Chuck Ingramont fifty five KR see the talk station.
Speaker 1: It's six thirty almost six thirty one fifty five cars decalk station a very happy Friday Eve to you. Extra special welcome back to the fifty five Karssee Morning Show. FOP President Ken Coob. We're representing the Cincinnate Police Department Union. Could you have you on the show? Ken, appreciate the time you're spending with us this morning.
Speaker 2: Hey, good morning, Brian, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you got the word from Mayor Aftab Purvol and I've been sort of rhetorically asking the question the residents of the city of Cincinnati vote to become a sanctuary city back in early seventeen twenty seventeen, he said the city will not enforce federal immigration laws for those here illegally. Quote, there have been no ice raids in Cincinnati as of now, none despite the rumors and conspiracy theories, but we are prepared if there is an ice rate in our community. There's nothing we can do to prevent that based on federal law, but there are things we can do to support the community and mitigate the damage from those raids, and we're working on that.
Speaker 2: Maybe you can.
Speaker 1: Explain what the hell he means, but he said, we are The Cincinnati Police Department has no role in federal immigration enforcement and Charmie McGuffey. I guess chimed in a similar light. Do you have any personal feeling about the duties of the Sinsint Police Department with respect to arresting the obviously criminal illegal immigrants that are in our community.
Speaker 4: Well? Yeah, I mean, we all take an oath of office when we get sworn in as police officers, and our oath is that we will enforce all federal, state, and local laws.
Speaker 2: And having a mayor saying that.
Speaker 4: We are not going to do this is just wrong and it's very misguided because if we decide that we're not going to help federal law enforcement, then it's violating our.
Speaker 2: Oath of office.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad you came with loud and clear and very straightforward on that one. That's kind of my perception as well. And I don't know how much control the mayor has. I mean, he can say whatever he wants to say, but what goes on within the police department that seems to be the role of the chief of police and the hierarchy within the police department has three Thiji said anything with regard to how the Cincinnati Police Department will deal with ice and or cooperate or not with Ice agents.
Speaker 4: No, this far, we've been given you zero directives, and you know, I kind of treating this as status quo, which has been you know, any time that we have any kind of interaction with federal law enforcement, we help them because they're federal law enforcement officers.
Speaker 2: That's what we're expected to do.
Speaker 4: If we have Green Township call us and ask us for help, or Dellai Township, or you know, whatever department asks us for help, we help them. That's what we're sworn to do. We're sworn to uphold laws. And that's what the Cincide Police officers will be doing.
Speaker 1: And that's refreshing to hear. And you know that has been my understanding as well. I remember Jim Neil talking about cooperation among the various law enforcement agencies in the general region, and the cooperation was, you know, shared responsibilities and shared services and everyone played nicely together in the sandbox. I don't know if that's still the case with Charmie McGuffey as head of the sheriffs the apartment, but you know, it's nice to know you guys do play well together. But this is a two way street too, because the federal government helps Cincinnati law a CINCINNTI Police Department with you know, their investigations as well, don't they.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you know, there has to be cooperation among law enforcement agencies. We've done this for years.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I go back to my years when you know, I was on the street working in our fugitive unit and we would.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, every so often we'd have like the FBI would.
Speaker 4: Come in and you know, they're gonna they're gonna execute thirty different search warrants around Cincinnati, and they don't have the resources to do it all themselves, nor do they have the lay of the land.
Speaker 2: So what do they do.
Speaker 4: They call local law enforcement and ask them for assistance. So, you know, we would be up at three or four o'clock in the morning. We would meet with these teams. They would give us the addresses of places where they have search warrants for and we would go assist them, tell them that, you know, the most efficient route to get to an address, you know, if there was any concerns of neighborhoods, whatever else. We would give them all this intelligence and then we would go with them and serve these warrants. It's something that's been done for years, and you know, unfortunately this is just a highly politicized thing, and I just we have to do these things.
Speaker 2: This is what we're required by law to do.
Speaker 4: And to have americ come out and say, well, no, we're not going to help them.
Speaker 2: We don't have a choice in the matter.
Speaker 1: Well, and I appreciate how straightforward you are with that reality. And I guess more fundamentally, you know, eastwore an oath of office and as an officer of the law to you know, hold the constitution, protect and serve the community. The Trump administration presently is going after. I mean, these are vile people. These these crimes that you know, it's reported that many of them committed child rape, for example, is just horrific and inexcusable and probably one of the most heinous crimes that can cross my mind. But we as a community, like other residents who live here, citizens of the United States, if they get out of hand and they commit crimes, they're bad guys. That's why we arrest them and prosecute them to keep our communities safe. I mean, moving over into the illegal immigrant category, we're still talking about criminals here, don't we want to get them out of the Greater Cincinnati community.
Speaker 2: Ken, Well, I could say if one law enforcement does.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure what the mayor's position on this is, but absolutely yeah, we have to protect our communities. And just because you're here illegally doesn't mean that you get a free pass to come here, break the law and stay here.
Speaker 2: It's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: Think about what you just said, Ken, that we're even having this conversation because there are some inelected capacity that believe because you are an illegal immigrant somehow you shouldn't be arrested and prosecuted or at least expelled for having committed crimes.
Speaker 2: It's this crazy, yeh, It's laughable that we're even having this conversation.
Speaker 1: I agree all day long. So where are we? I know, last time we talked can in terms of numbers of police officers. I know the problem hasn't been solved since our life conversation a week or so ago, but remind my listeners how many we should have in terms of officers and where we are presently, and also the fun fact of the number of people retiring.
Speaker 4: So we're currently at about nine hundred and twenty one. Although I just had an officer called me yesterday who went into our drop programs that I've retired last year stayed for another year, and she called me yesterday and said, listen, I'm.
Speaker 2: Done, done, I'm leaving. I've had enough. So we've lost I think two already this year in the month of January.
Speaker 4: We lost seventy two last year, but our compliments one thy fifty eight were at nine twenty one, so we're roughly one hundred and forty short. And I just don't see this year being any better. I think the staggering number is we had eighteen people that left that were not retirement eligible. Oh my eighteen, yes, oh much. That is a staggering number. And it just seems you seem things seem to just not be getting any better anytime soon at least well.
Speaker 1: And that's that's walking away from a sizeable post retirement salary. I mean, I'm not envious or I don't think it's wrong or anything. But if you're walking away from you know what is it could be three quarters of your pay or something like that, and you're quitting early you're not eligible for that. That is that's a statement and a half right there. If I could ask you about this most recent person who told you that they're just done and over with. Is there a a sort of a a trend or a reason that many of them are citing specifically for why they can't they can't take it anymore.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of it is just it just burnout. You know, when when you're short on a relief and you don't get a break from you know, the day to day work, and you know, they worked in one of the busiest districts here in the city, and when you're asked to go and respond to just radio run after radio run, and you know, just the violence that they're experiencing on a daily basis. People to just get burned out. You know, we don't have enough people, and I know the city is making an effort. You know, we've got a class in now of about forty people that would be graduating in May. We're gonna have another class in July, but we've got to do things to make this place more attractive. And having them here come out and say we're not helping a federal law enforcement agency that's not helping make this place more attractive, it's making it worse. And you know, we're going to see eventually what the fallout is going to be from that. Jeez.
Speaker 1: Well, prayers, love and support from my listening audience and me to the CINCINNTI Police officers. We certainly appreciate what you're doing and we have an understanding and for found understanding. Thanks to you, Ken Cover for bringing it to our attention of the problems that are facing the insant police department. God bless you, sir. Thanks for coming on the program and in time with my listeners and me, and well, best love to all the officers in the city of Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Sure, thank Brian. Thanks, I appreciate the support.
Speaker 1: Anytime, my friend, anytime, Ken Kober stick around. Folks at the top of the oir news Len Arnold Young Marines, she's at the door. She's waiting to talk with us, and I'm looking forward to that. We got a little time between now and then. Feel free to call five one, three, seven, four nine fifty five hundred, eight hundred eighty two to three talking to the phone to or I'll give you in a minute Prestige interiors to have your kitchenering model professionally done by a man who's done kitchens almost exclusively for thirty five years, including my kitchen you know, I think we're going on a decade. I think since we had our KITCHENO model, and I still am kind of like I walk into it. It's almost like a new project's been done every time I walk into it, because I remember the old one and we love our kitchen so much. John transformed that space and it literally is the heart of the home. I don't know how much time you spend in your kitchen, but we spend gobs of time in our kitchen. So make it the best kitchen you can get. Or you a small project you're sick of the counters in the in the cabinets. He can do a small project, but if you want to do a gut rehab like we did, he is the man to deal with because from initial design to final installation. John Ryan is there with you every step of the way. With all of his experience in doing kitchens, He's got fantastic ideas, so transformative kitchens a plus with the better business. Burrea's member of the National Kitchen Bath Association. Check them out online see some of the projects he's done over the years, and trust me, all of them are not on the website. Prestige one two three dot com Prestige one two three dot com. Please tell John Ryan Brian said hi when you call him up at five one three two four seven zero two two nine five one three two four seven zero two two nine fifty five KRC.
Speaker 2: This is Ashley Aikeneddi from the Ben and Ashley I almost