Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. It is a what you learned Friday on the Gary and Shannon Show is where you use that talkback feature.
Speaker 2: You know, Gary runs this thing.
Speaker 1: It's on his computer, so when he's gone, I don't use it, but I miss hearing from you guys.
Speaker 2: I miss hearing the talkback.
Speaker 1: So anyway, we will be taking those and Keana will compile all of them. What you learned on the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: Let us know.
Speaker 1: If you're listening on the iHeartRadio app, you just use that talkback feature the little microphone. You just give it a little tap, record your message of what you learned and let us know.
Speaker 2: It's time for swamp watch.
Speaker 3: I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops. Yeah, we got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 2: The other side never quit.
Speaker 3: So what you're doing, I'm not going anywhere.
Speaker 2: So now now you train the swamp, I can imagine and what can be and be unburdened by what has been You know, Mervans have always been coming at president.
Speaker 4: They're not stupid.
Speaker 1: A political plunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 2: Whether people voted for you. With naswap watch, they're all counter on, Well.
Speaker 1: We'll just get it out of the way. Taking a look at the Dow right now, the Dow is down fifteen sixty nine, Nasdaq down about four point three percent, down about seven to ten. There. Stock markets worldwide continue to correne even today, even lower today, I should say, after China has struck back against President Trump's tariffs in this escalating trade war. There was a better than expected report on the US job market, usually the economic highlight of every month. That was not enough to stop this slide. And it doesn't hurt less knowing that it was coming, but we did know what was coming. So far, there are few, if any winners when you look at the markets from this trade war. European stocks saw some of the day's biggest losses. The price of crude oil tumbled to its lowest level in four years since twenty twenty one. Copper, which is one of the building blocks for economic growth, Copper supply prices slide as well.
Speaker 2: When you talk about the.
Speaker 1: Global economy weakening, pretty much everything is hit. On Friday evening in Beijing, China set out to announce a series of rapid fire policy announcements, including thirty four percent across the board tariffs. China's basically saying, we have no intention of backing down. We have no intention of coming to the table and playing with you on the art of a deal. We will see who has more of a stomach for hardball as we continue, because like I said earlier, I don't know how much patience President Trump has to be unpopular for a long period of time, and that's what's going to happen, because it's not just the stock market and the intangibles.
Speaker 2: It's going to be the tangibles.
Speaker 1: It's going to be the things in the grocery store that you're touching and feeling when you hit the cash register. So Trump's plan for thirty four percent tariffs on goods from China has been matched with a thirty four percent tariff on imports from the US. China's Ministry of Commerce as it was adding eleven American companies to its list of unreliable entities, which means that they are pretty much barred from doing business in China or with Chinese companies. This ministry imposed a licensing system to restrict exports of seven rare earth elements. And that's what I kept reading this morning, rare earth elements. What the hell is that? I feel like I'm in some sort of crystal shop. Tell me my tarot reading. But no, these things go into everything from batteries, car systems, car computer systems, computer chips, electric cars, smart bombs. All of these things are going to be hit. China's General Administration of Customs that it would halt chicken imports from five of America's biggest exporters of AG commodities. So it is hitting people across the board, and just to touch on the ag AG industry, when it comes to small businesses, people are getting out and talking. Reporters are getting out and talking to people that run small businesses.
Speaker 2: Wendy bro is one.
Speaker 1: Wendy is owner of dry Ridge Farm in Marshall, North Carolina, and she says that these tariffs are like pouring salt in a wound that's now just beginning to heal.
Speaker 2: We've kind of talked about that.
Speaker 1: From a conceptualized level of we're just getting out of this inflation and that Trump campaign so hard to fix with the waning days of the Bided administration, just keeping us deep into that inflation mess. This is now as we try to crawl out of that. This is like throwing a weight on top of it. Like Wendy said, there was a small business meeting, a small business owner meeting, I should say, this week, and Wendy says they talked about the fact that tariffs are increased the cost of everything on the farm, from fertilizer and feed to construction materials and tractors, hitting this farming community there in Marshall while it is recovering not only from inflation and COVID and all of that, but also the crop losses after Hurricane Helene. So they've had uncertainty for a long time and we're hoping and praying that with this new administration they'd have some solid ground quite literally to stand on and bounce back when it comes to their business there on the farm. But she says that the retaliatory tariffs are going to affect their largest expense, which is the animal feed. So again we're just gonna have to wait and see. I don't see the good thing about President Trump's personality from what I've been able to glean over the years that we've been covering him, are that he will take a small victory and turn it into a large one. So if he can find a small victory in this tariff policy, if the Chinas of the world do not come to the table and rework the ways that many believe that America is being screwed over, if China refuses to come to that art of the deal table, we're gonna have to find a small victory somewhere and run with it to get out of this mess.
Speaker 2: If it ends up.
Speaker 1: Where the other countries cave and we end up getting better long term business deals with other countries when it comes to the global supply chain, excellent. But in the meantime, holy hell, things are going to get dark, all right?
Speaker 2: Coming up next?
Speaker 1: Oh, I saw the story and I thought of Deborah, Well.
Speaker 2: Keana sent it to me. No, there's not sex. People are going to get the really really.
Speaker 1: Odd I know, but I mean, you're right, we should explain more often. We don't explain the inside jokes enough. Deborah and I we found that we and this is years ago now probably that we both enjoy shows that have a little bit of sex and them.
Speaker 2: Yes, we like this space.
Speaker 3: This is none.
Speaker 1: This is all legal. It's all legal sex. It's all like PG. Thirteen type stuff. But we do like those shows, whether it's you know, The Gilded Age or sex Life on Netflix or whatever. They're entertaining. They're fun, they're popcorn shows. You know.
Speaker 2: It makes us just not think about it.
Speaker 1: It's in a scape exactly why we watched that, And that's exactly why this story peaked my interest because here's the headline, plane crashes, toxic spatulas, crime, How to think about risk in the world, because you know how you feel about earthquake stebra, Yes, and there's just constantly this barrage of bad news and things to be worried about.
Speaker 2: So this article was all about.
Speaker 1: It was in Vox, I believe, how to deal with life's inevitable risks, how to just move past it, just to accept it and then continue on with your day.
Speaker 2: We'll get into it when we come back.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Fascinating story I'm just diving into here in Vox. How to live with life's inevitable risks. So many great points to get to in this that they do get to. I guess I should say the opening line is the world is trying to kill you. This much is true. So they really set the table correctly. There they go to talk about how plane crashes a nearly weekly basis forever. Chemicals, microplastics are in our water, They're in our beauty products, they're in our clothing.
Speaker 2: They're even in our brains. Remember that story from.
Speaker 1: A few weeks ago about plastics in our brains. You're kitchen utensils poisoning you. Maybe your food is as well. There was a lot of no wonder, anxiety is off the hook, right.
Speaker 2: No wonder.
Speaker 1: If you're constantly being bombarded with all of this, of course you're going to think the world is a fundamentally dangerous place. In twenty twenty three, there was a Gallop poll that said forty percent of Americans had they felt unsafe walking home alone at night, the highest rate since nineteen ninety three. Now, what was going on in nineteen ninety three. I know I wasn't paying attention. I was a kid, But I'm if I if my memory serves correctly in any sort of reading I've ever done. That was when crime rates were through the roof right late eighties, early nineties. Violent crime was crazy, So that's notable. It's the highest rate now since nineteen ninety three. And nineteen ninety three we didn't even really, we weren't bombarded with knowing about crime rates because we didn't have what we may have had. Twenty four hour new CNN may have been a thing. It was a thing, but we weren't bombarded with news in our pockets, in our hands, like in our phones, the way we are now.
Speaker 2: That has led us to believe that danger is everywhere, they say.
Speaker 1: Generations ago, risks were largely evaluated by the scientific and cultural knowledge of the day. Prior to the Industrial Revolution, some of the greatest risks came from natural causes.
Speaker 2: Fires that would.
Speaker 1: Destroy homes in the middle of the night in cities, you know, like the Great Fire, the Chicago Fire, whatever these fires you learn about in the history books, right, Infectious diseases, the plague, black death, those things, unpredictable weather conditions, abs in any kind of data or expert guidance. People then relied largely on their own experience and their experiences of or the experiences of others that they had heard about to kind of gauge risk. Like if your cousin went on a transcontinental ocean voyage and.
Speaker 2: Never returned, you'd say, probably not for me. You die when you do that.
Speaker 1: They say that these days, we are staying well informed about all the bad and scary things happening the world over data statistics in no short supply, and the scientists will tell you we're not good at interpreting this information. We are reactionary. We're not scientists. We're not going to sit down and be like, hm, now what does this mean and.
Speaker 2: Pour over it.
Speaker 1: No, we're going to react and say, oh, hell, my home's gonna crumble in the night. Dirk Wolf is a senior research scientist at the Max Plant Institute for Human Development, and he says the human brain is ill equipped to process large numbers. While a one in a million chance of developing a rare cancer is hard for our brains to digest. People think it's more likely than it really is because we're human and that's how we take numbers like that in. He says, the same goes for evaluating risk based on our own experiences. And he says it's just objectively often wrong because we haven't made enough experiences to see some of the bad things that could happen if all your car rides occurred without incident. You may incorrectly believe driving carries less risk than air travel based purely on your own history. So you know, how many car crashes have you and your friends been in? How many airplane crashes have you and your friend's been in. It's that whole thing. It's like when you're flying and I have it, and I know it's in an irrational fear sometimes of flying. And I know it's irrational because I've been in more car accidents than I have ever in a plane accident. I guess part of the irrational fear what feeds it is that plane crashes you don't survives often she fors survived car crushes. Right, It's like, if the plane's going down, it's probably going to be a I'm not helping this story, I realize that, he says, and the senior research as scientists and the Max Planck Institute Dirk Wolf says the most accurate assessment of risk is to marry experience with data and expert driven advice, but that our human miscalculations continually threaten that delicate balance, that we misjudge the risk for rare and extreme events. We choose to gamble despite the low likelihood of winning, opt out of swimming in the ocean due to the potential of a shark attack. Apparently, we're running around with a lot of irrational fears. The more in control you feel, they say, the more comfortable you are with risk. There was a book called how Risky is It Really? Why our fears don't always match the facts. The author, David Ropeak says, the more in control you feel, the more comfortable you are. So people fear cancer more and heart disease less because they think they have control over heart disease because the risk factors are things that you can control. And the cancer fear is higher because the risk factors of things people.
Speaker 2: Feel they can't. That's wrong. You can.
Speaker 1: You can control your risk factors for heart disease and cancer. He points out that we are all hyper connected. Obviously, we're inundated with stories of danger. Who's it affecting most the kids that grew up with it. As part of ongoing research into gen Z's perception of risk. Montclair State University did a study that the onslaught of information about a plethora of threats like crime, small town kidnappings, mass shootings, climate change, all of that. It's fueling these kids' fears. A lot of people say, I could be kidnapped, it could be attacked, or the crime is worse it's ever been, according to the professor of Justice Studies at Montclair, which isn't true. Watching extravagant safety routines on TikTok, videos that outline ways to intruder proof a hotel room or home are just fueling the fire that the world is a dangerous place to the generation that is taking in and consuming TikTok, which is jen z. It's all magnified if you're constantly being inundated and pushed all of this information, like Debra who's doing the news every day of her life Monday through Friday, constantly reading more than anybody else about earthquakes, and then you feel in the little ones, you're more likely to have your brain go to that fear of the big one, of the earthquake.
Speaker 5: Because I was in the shower again this morning, Shannon, and I said, you know what, I gotta I gotta make this a quickie just in case yet. No, I'm not talking sex hair, Eric, I'm talking a quick shower, and I didn't wash my hair this morning.
Speaker 2: It's just random thought.
Speaker 1: You know, things I don't want to impact. This is what I don't want to have happened. This is why I did this story, Debrah. I don't want the fear of the big one to result in you having to suffer through a quickie or dirty hair.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I want you to be able to do all the things that you want to do in the shower that take as much time as they need to take.
Speaker 2: That does not sound good, and that was not what I intended. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I do, I know, I know, thank you.
Speaker 5: No, Seriously, I need to I need to get on board with what you're talking about, because as it does impact.
Speaker 2: Well, let me get to the solution.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, let's just speed for I didn't know we were dealing with QUICKI situations.
Speaker 2: Now we're in Defcon one.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it says the scientists say number one, avoid forming an opinion based on gut feelings. Do some research, Read scientific studies in peer reviewed journals, or reports from trusted sources about the rates of the specific risk. Well, you've already done that, you kind of have. You basically live with Lucy Jones. Now you only refer to her as Lucy. Here's number two. Ask yourself why you're frightened. Is the topic capturing your attention because of news coverage or conversations on social media? Yeah, so they say to start consuming things that are not that well, I can't like the sex stories the sex movies. By the way, we have a new one to tell you about. It's coming up later in the hour. But but the thing, the takeaway is nothing in this world is without risk. So you've got to just learn to live with it. Breathe realize that we're all going to die. Okay, there you go. J That was very not helpful. We'll throw up a link to the article. You want to dive into that a little bit more.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI am six forty.
Speaker 1: President Trump today said he's signing an executive order to keep TikTok running in the US for another seventy five days to give his administration more time to broker a deal to bring TikTok under American ownership. Last time we checked, Congress had mandated that TikTok be divested from China by January nineteenth or barred in the US, but he moved. Trump did unilaterally to extend the deadline to this weekend, trying to find an agreement, negotiate an agreement to keep it running. He has recently entered tained an array of offers from US businesses seeking to buy a share of TikTok, but China's Byte Dance, which owns TikTok and it's closely held algorithm, has insisted the platform is not for sale. You better believe that TikTok may be a hostage with this whole tariff.
Speaker 2: Mess that has been that has been brewing.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be surprised if China and ByteDance say absolutely not, We're going to hold TikTok hostage here until you give us what we want.
Speaker 2: We'll see how that plays out.
Speaker 1: And the other big story, you've heard it here first and you've heard it through KFI News. This afternoon, La County will pay an unprecedented four billion dollars to settle more than sixty eight hundred claims of sexual abuse perpetrated in juvenile facilities or foster cares back as the nineteen sixties. Sixty eight hundred claims. Payout is massive. It dwarfs every other payout. I believe the archdiocese payout for child sex abuse was.
Speaker 2: Two point four billion. This is four billion.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, that was one point five billion the archdioces, So this is four This is more than twice that. This is going to impact the county budget for years to come.
Speaker 2: They do say that they've structured it.
Speaker 1: They brought in someone from the NFL in a way to maintain the county's solvency. So but it is going to be very painful. It is the costliest financial settlement in the history of La County Boom period. End of story. I mentioned this yesterday and it's worth a deeper dive. The tortoise. Remember the tortoise, the Galapagos tortoise. This may be, by the way, something that you could offer up for what you learned on the Gary and Shannon Show, because we have not learned much this week.
Speaker 2: We're a little low in the tank. So remember to let.
Speaker 1: Us know what you learned on the Gary and Shannon Show using that talkback feature. On the iHeartRadio app. Just hit the little microphone there and let us know what you learned. Maybe it's about the Galapagos tortoise, the Glappagas tortoise.
Speaker 2: The name of this tortoise is Mommy. Now stick with me through this.
Speaker 1: Mommy has lived most of her life at the Pennsylvania Zoo, at the Philadelphia Zoo in Pennsylvania. Okay, Mommy is ninety seven years old. How did she get her name? I don't know, because Mommy has just become a first time mom at ninety seven. She is the oldest known first time mother of her species at ninety seven years old, and her name is Mommy. By the way, it's always been Mommy. It was Mommy when this tortoise arrived in Philadelphia in nineteen thirty two, just four years old, straight from the wilds of the Galapagos. Apparently Mommy had flings with other species, but it was Abraiso Abraiso, a ninety six year old Galapagus tortoise, that fancied her to the point of conception. Abraiso and Mommy are the new parents. I need to stop saying that, because it's creeping me out. Are the new parents to four hatchlings. The newborns have bumped the population of the western Santa Cruz Galapagos tortoises in the US facilities to forty eight.
Speaker 2: Imagine that.
Speaker 1: The offspring of the first of their kind for the zoo, which is one hundred and fifty years old, a major boon for the future of the critically endangered species. The zoo will be debuting the currently name US Babies. You know how they differentiate them. They put different colors of nail polish on their shells. But their introduction to the public will coincide with a ninety third anniversary of Mommy's arrival at the zoo. They're going to stay at the Philadelphia Zoo for at least five years. Are going to be at a protected habitat because they're very tiny, and they'll be separate from the adults. The adults can weighup to five hundred pounds. But imagine that Mommy had flings with other species, but it was Abrazo. Abrazo whose records go back to a Texas zoo in nineteen twenty nine, new parents at ninety seven and ninety six. That sounds exhausting, just exhausting, But how beautiful. If you want a close encounter, the zoo does offer a behind the scenes experience three times a week with the Galapagos and Aldebras tortoises. Tickets will cost you sixty five dollars plus zoo admission. That would be a fun.
Speaker 2: Date or not? Or is that like a serial killer date? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I can't decide whether that be cute or problematic. Guys like, hey, I got these tickets, these special tickets, and go see.
Speaker 2: These tortoises, like, I mean, be kind of cool. I know, but is it close to the line of serial killer stuff? I don't know. I don't know. I don't know anymore. I don't either.
Speaker 3: I don't like what this says because I've taken a girl to the zoo on a date before.
Speaker 2: That's sweet. The zoo is sweet.
Speaker 1: Like the specific enclosure I think is where you get a little bit weird.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fair, right, like the zoo.
Speaker 1: That's a good date. Did you get any action out of that? Yeah you did, Yeah you did, Yeah you did. You don't see a baby draft and not get.
Speaker 2: Action, all right?
Speaker 1: Coming up next, Speaking of action, Deborah Mark and I have a new show where I'm going to start watching it today.
Speaker 2: I think I think I'm going to tonight.
Speaker 1: You know, I was thinking, I am at such a loss after This Is Us because it was such a cathartic experience for me, where like it was an outlet to feel emotions. This is Us was and now it's gone. And I was watching the trailer for this set. What I thought was just a sex show, but it involves a sick woman and I started tearing up a little bit watching this trailer.
Speaker 2: It's based on a true story. Okay, we'll tell you about it when we come back.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: What did you learn on this week of the Gary and Channon Show.
Speaker 2: Let us know.
Speaker 1: Use the talkback feature on the iHeartRadio app. Use that little microphone, tap it and let us know. Hey, even if you didn't learn anything, let us know that you didn't learn anything, because, to be honest, I'm thinking back about what I learned on the Gary and Channon Show this week, and I'm coming up blank. I am coming up with a big fat zero. I know I had a good time. I know I was here just like y'all we're here, had a good time. I just I can't really remember what I learned. I guess i'd go back to the tortoise story that a tortoise can make a tortoise baby at ninety seven, I don't know, and that that tortoise was banging around with all those other tortaise.
Speaker 2: Is it tortoises or tortaise, I don't know.
Speaker 1: But she's banging around for ninety seven years and never makes a baby, and then all of a sudden, I mean, she thought she was in the clear, she thought she wasn't gonna get pregnant. She was like, ah, I've been banging around with these tortoises for a long time. I don't I'm not going to have a baby. She's living her life, she's traveling, she's doing things, and then all of a sudden, she's got a baby at ninety seven.
Speaker 2: That's a complete change of life for her. That's what I learned.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Devor Mark texted me this morning because we've had a dearth we've kind of reached this point where I think everybody feels this way, where you've got like some shows you're into and you're streaming and you're to go home and be like, oh, I've got this show, get a couple more episodes and to catch up, or there's a new season of such and such, and we've been kind of lamenting that, like we don't really have anything right now. I did Deborah fall into a show yesterday because Justin Wisham told me about it, said he and his wife are enjoying it. And it's The Secret Millionaire on Netflix and it is a new reality show. It sounds like it's an old reality show, like they've done this before, where there's nine strangers and they're in this beautiful mansion and it really is beautiful. It's a beautiful setting. And the difference is this is a reality show where people eat. They eat these beautifully crafted meals and they actually eat the food. It's fascinating to watch people eat on reality TV.
Speaker 5: And I'm not a big reality TV lever. I gotta be honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I go and spits and whatever that phrase is. I sometimes I'm into it, sometimes I'm not. I kind of got over the Housewives. That's kind of the ship has sailed for me. But this one, I don't know. I think it's Justin recommended it and he said he and his wife will like it.
Speaker 2: So I was like, okay, that's two people. Check it out. And it was really clever.
Speaker 1: And it's a good way. It's a good waste of time. That's what I will say. Okay, But anyway, I fell into that. Yesterday watched a couple episodes of that. In other words, six I watched six episodes. But Devor texted me this morning with a new show with sex in the title.
Speaker 5: Yes, remember I think it was last week. I think, I don't know if I said it on the air. Off I said, oh, Shannon, there's there's a new show coming in there's there's sex in the title. I don't remember what it is called. And then today, because it debuts today, it popped up on my phone and I had to tell you, so I texted you right away. Yes, and go ahead, you want to say what it's like.
Speaker 1: It's called Dying for Sex and it's with Michelle Williams and she plays a woman. This is what I've gleaned from just watching the trailer, which I did tear up a little bit watching it. She dying, She's a young woman dying from cancer. We've we've we've watched this movie before. But here's a twist. She has never Let's shall we say I had enjoyable sex to a point with another human?
Speaker 2: Okay, we can't. We can't. We can't say it.
Speaker 1: I mean we could.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: So so she is now and they showed this like clip of her with who I'm assuming is a therapist or someone to help her through her diagnosis and life and all of that, and she says something to the effect to Michelle Williams, Well, everyone's got a bucket list, so it seems like this is gonna be Michelle Williams. Her character's bucket list is to go and have sex with guys she gets on the dating apps and with this being her quest, her dying quest.
Speaker 2: And it is a.
Speaker 1: It is a series, right, not a movie. And it's based on a true story.
Speaker 4: It was a podcast, Oh my gosh, okay, and yeah, so it's based on the woman has terminal breast cancer and I've never heard of something like this before.
Speaker 5: It's I'm I'm really looking forward to watching it for lots of different reasons. But I know I'm going to be really sad. Sometimes I need a good cry.
Speaker 1: I know I do too, And this one. It's on Hulu. It's a they call it a comedy drama mini series for FX on Hulu. It's eight episodes. They're all debuting today or they have debut they're available. And yeah, I was gonna say, I'm surprised I haven't heard the podcast. But usually if this podcast was sold as somebody is sick with cancer and they're you know, on the dating apps, it probably wouldn't be something I clicked on, although it sounds.
Speaker 2: You know, usually it's true crime stuff that I'll click on.
Speaker 1: But this, this looks really really good, might be one of those ones where I go back.
Speaker 2: And listen to the podcast.
Speaker 1: But but yeah, so.
Speaker 5: The name of the podcast series, let's see, what was the name, Well, it's based on the name, right, based on the podcast series of the same name by Wondering.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Wondering Boyar Yeah, Wondering Guy's great podcasts. I mean, they're not as good as the Iheartradios, Gary and Channon Show podcast or the John Cobolt Show, right, but they can compete, all right, So we'll have to check that out. We'll report back on what you watch on Wednesday. We'll talk trending when we come back to Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app