Speaker 1: Jeff back again tonight and also back for an hour of sports for the out of Sorts, the one the Only sports Commando. Wild Man Walker joins us. Wild Man, how are you?
Speaker 2: I can't complain, Gary, Jeff can't complain.
Speaker 1: So I interrupted your twenty four hour viewing of Andy Griffith and Gomer Pyle. How will you survive?
Speaker 3: I'll get through. I'll get through this. It's painful, but I'll get through this. Because I've seen every episode at least three four.
Speaker 1: Times, only three or four. I figured maybe it'd be into the double digits by now. So here's the thing, wild Man, this is what I want to know before we start talking about the Bengals or anything else. How do you manage to keep it fresh? After all? I mean, it's got to get repetitive. It's got to be like I mean, do you I have a friend who watches Andy griff and Green Acres, and they've seen the episodes at least as many times as you have, and watches only so he can say the next line before it is spoken. Do you do that when you're watching?
Speaker 3: Uh? No, I see what the episode is and if I really really like it, I'll watch it.
Speaker 2: It's like, okay, I skip it, but there are there are many of the episodes that I know the lines. Oh yeah, there's no doubt.
Speaker 1: Right, So when you see the episode title of an Andy Griffith or a Gomer Pile, you can almost tell me the dialogue before it even happens in front of you.
Speaker 3: Again, right, without a doubt, especially with Andy, especially with Andy, not necessarily Gomer, but especially with Andy.
Speaker 1: Now, you said you were watching Gomer Pile earlier today, and it was the episode where he was sleepwalking. What I'm We're eating Welsh rabbit. I think it's I think the dish is called Welsh rarebit, but he probably thought it was a rabbit, right, So what what did goom?
Speaker 4: Hell?
Speaker 2: Is wash wherbitt?
Speaker 4: What is that?
Speaker 1: What is Welsh rarebit? It is a It's a dish I'm not familiar with. I've never had, which is probably why I don't sleep walk. So yeah, apparently this in fact that Sergeant Carter too. Sergeant Carter also was sleepwalking after eating the Welsh rarebit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he was trying to make a point to Boil that it wouldn't affect him and I did.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, So so what did Gomer do under the influence of Welsh rarebit in his sleep walking?
Speaker 3: I've never seen Oh he got oh yeah, he got up and walked over to the to the hut, knocked on the door and started chewing out Carter.
Speaker 1: Well, it's turn about, Turnabout's fair play, man, I'm all for that, right, And then Carter was.
Speaker 3: More like in the uh he started acting like more like Gomer. I'm sorry, sir, I'm sorry, Ali. You know, so it kind of was reverse.
Speaker 1: Okay. So, uh, here's the other question I have. Does it extend behind beyond Andy Griffith and Gomer piled Do you watch Green Acres? Do you watch petticoat Johnson?
Speaker 2: I watched some Green Acres. I watch uh.
Speaker 3: Oh, I watched Star Trek because they've got all the original Star Treks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just sold a bunch of They just sold a bunch of Captain Kirk's gear. H I mean, like the uniform, the phaser set on stunt not kill hopefully.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine what that one.
Speaker 1: The communicator. I think all told it was like, I don't know, hundreds of thousands of dollars of memorabilia on the bluff.
Speaker 3: There's so many Star Trek freaks out there. I watch Twilight Zone all the time because there's there's still a few Twilight Zones I haven't seen.
Speaker 2: But again, if I see if I see it and I go I like it, I'll watch it. If I don't, I skip on it. There you go.
Speaker 1: Those are the channels I really I watch a lot. How much of the Bengals this season? Have you liked what you saw, wild Man?
Speaker 3: Well, I like what I see out of my guy Joe Burrow. I like what I see out of what's that receiver's name, Jamar.
Speaker 1: Name.
Speaker 2: I like what I see out of Trey Hendrickson.
Speaker 3: I like what I've seen out of the offensive line at times, especially uh a Marius Mims.
Speaker 2: He's he's done pretty well.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean thrust in there when he was really only going to be like in and out, in and out. But he's done a pretty good job at the at right tackle. Yeah, I mean, And I love the punter that they picked up. I mean, that guy that got.
Speaker 1: Could be a game changer outside of Henna, be a game change out of the side of Hendrickson. What about the defense, wild Man.
Speaker 2: Uh, I don't know, I don't know. What I can really say much about some of those guys.
Speaker 3: A lot of mistackles, a lot of mistackles, a lot of drop picks.
Speaker 2: Uh, And that's where it lies.
Speaker 1: That's where it lies.
Speaker 3: Offensively, if the Bengals, and you can look the last four games, how many points they put up, they should win all those games technically, if.
Speaker 2: You put up that many points.
Speaker 3: But the defense is just hasn't been there at all season long, hasn't been there at all.
Speaker 1: I think that that is the one chink in the Baltimore Ravens armor is their defense. Obviously, the Bengals are scoring right with them points and Baltimore had a history of having just one of the best defenses in the league. I tell you who is spectacular I think so far this season, wild man, see if you agree with me. Are the Pittsburgh Steelers. I mean they are the Steelers every year and they're back again and they look just I mean defensively, they're tough to crack, very very.
Speaker 3: Tough to crack. And that's gonna be three weeks. Steelers will be here and that will be a huge game for the Bengals because it's a division game to keep their playoff hopes alive. The offensively, I know they're using Russell Wilson now, but they don't really scare me. They don't have much of a running game, just about as bad as the Bengals don't have. But the Steelers, I mean, nobody picked them to be seven and two. Nobody thought they would be seven and two, and they're winning games by their defense and are winning their games by playing smart football.
Speaker 1: No, no, no question about it. But again that goes back to the coach. Mike Tomlin is an incredible head coach in the NFL. He's proven it over the years. Now, you know, Pittsburgh hires a head coach and they stay for like fifteen twenty years. You know Cower and before him, Chuck Knowell and now Mike Tomlin. Let's go through some of the coaches in the NFL who are elite and it's showed in the records of their teams. Dan Campbell, for example, of the Detroit Lions. That guy is a Hall of Fame coach in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts, well, I mean, yes, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think that's a little early to annoint him for the Hall of Fame, but he's done a hell of a job turning around the hapless Lions.
Speaker 2: He really has.
Speaker 3: But if you look at Dan Campbell, and you look at Mike Tomlin, and you look at Jim Harball, Yeah, those guys delegate authority. They said, you know, they coached the game. They're not calling every play. You don't see them with the play sheet in front of them. That's why they hire these guys and do their jobs directly. And was all the way back and talk about the Steelers, how they used to win games. They had an offensive coordinator and a defensive coordinator. They called the plays. You know, Chuck Nole basically coached. And to me, that's how you that's how you win football. That's really you know, let coach the team, let the other guys you know, call the plays and that situation.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me throw in another one then, who has every His fingerprints are on everything his team does, especially offensively, Andy Reid of my Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely so.
Speaker 1: I mean now he delegates to some pretty fine coaches, Steve Spagnolah, primarily because that defense is just hard hard to be in Kansas City. But I mean the offensive genius and brilliance of Andy Reid and getting players. And that's another thing is as a franchise, as an organization, the Chiefs, when they lose somebody, they go out and find somebody that can fill that hole. I mean, even in the middle of the season, before the trading deadline, they were adding players that they needed to compliment, you know, what they had and what they had lost replace what they had lost.
Speaker 3: So mentioned and Andy Reid there, Gary Jeff I mean, the guy had success with the Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 2: I mean, and so they goes over to the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 3: When you talk about Zach Taylor, what success did he had as a head coach for the Bechls to hire him?
Speaker 2: Zero experience zero?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean as much as as much experience as Kamala Harris had, which is why she.
Speaker 3: Lost Night's comparison. Yes, and Zach Taylor, Zach Taylor should thank God every day that the Bengals drafted Joe Burrow number one in the draft.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I mean all Bengals fans should be falling on there. And we're getting to Thanksgiving, it's time to give thanks wild Man. There's no question about that. Okay. I tell you what, We'll take a quick break and come back with another segment. I'm going to ask you about something that the NFL just did to one of the premier defensive players in the league, all because, whether they will admit it or not, they are a political organization through and through. It's a nightcap with Wildman Sports for the out of Sorts on seven hundred WLW. More just ahead and with us on this abbreviated nightcap on seven hundred WLW, Gary Jeff and the wild and I have a new favorite defensive end in the NFL, and I'm not even a fan of the team. Back on October twenty Back on October twenty seventh, after the forty nine Ers had dispatched the Dallas Cowboys, like almost everyone else in the NFL had, Brock Purty is being interviewed postgame and incomes for a photo bomb opportunity one Nick Bosa. Nick Bosa is wearing a white, not a red, but a white make America Great Again hat, and he just gets into the photo and just points with bose fingers to his hat. Well, this violates an NFL policy. This violates an NFL policy. He was fined eleven two d and fifty five dollars for violating the NFL Uniform and Equipment rules for wearing a hat that contained a personal message. Couldn't They didn't say political, they said personal message. This was according to the ape, spoke to somebody with the league on the anonymity. So he crashes the interview. He's got a white hat that reads make America Great Again, and the story says the story from CBS says, in support of Trump's candidacy for president. We all know what Maggie is. We know make America great again? Who says that? But it says nothing about Trump on the hat. It just says make How can the NFL argue against making America great again? Wild man? Don't we all want to make America great again? I just don't get at. The NFL rules state that throughout the period on game day, the whole day that a player visible to the stadium and television audience, including in pregame warmups, in the bench area, during postgame interviews, in the locker room, or on the field, players are prohibited from wearing, displaying, or otherwise conveying personal messages, either in writing or illustration, unless such message has been improved in advance by the league office. So if he'd been wearing a hat that said end hate now or end racism, it would have been fine. But because he was wearing Make America Great Again on his head, Oh no, now, maybe no, you can't do that. I mean, the eleven thousand dollars fine is not going to hurt nick Pos's bottom line. And he said afterwards, he said, I expect to find his coming and it was worth it.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts the NFL, oh Man, the NFL, really, their priorities are so out of whack when you see something like this, instead of addressing the real issue in the National Football League, which is the officials up and down and all around, the incompetence of the officials, they're worried about somebody with a hat. They're worried about somebody with a hat.
Speaker 2: Because it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: It's just it's no, it's dumb, and really it's really dumb, and.
Speaker 2: That their priorities are our way out of whack.
Speaker 3: And I loved it that you know that what you just said, what Bosa had said, because I didn't read what he said, it was it was worth it.
Speaker 2: It was worthy of repenting. I mean, again, the NFL's.
Speaker 3: Priorities, what they should be worrying about even maybe changing the rule about pass interference because so many games are determined by pass interference when it isn't pass interference or when it should be past interference.
Speaker 1: I mean, oh right, like like on a crucial two point conversion at the end of a game to decide the outcome of the contest. Let's see, what have we seen that maybe last Thursday?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, yeah, or maybe maybe that pass interferance call that costs the New Orleans Saints a trip to the NFC Championship game.
Speaker 1: Oh you know that Stevie Wonder could see that's a good callback. I forgot about that. That's that's awesome, all right. So we're there with that and the officiating. Do you think there is going to be a forensic investigation at the end of this year to find out if all of these calls were legitimate calls or were they influenced by all of the widespread legal gambling that's going on. I always thought it was a good thing to go ahead and legal lies gambling on sports because it was already going on. And when it's underneath and it's illegal, there are no regulations and nobody's really checking to see who's getting paid and who's being influenced in that regard. There's plenty of there's plenty of stop gaps for the players, but the officials are more vulnerable, and the game is more vulnerable than ever because the officials can have such a wide ranging impact on games with just one or two calls here or there. How I mean, how much do you think the officials are being influenced by the legal gambling that we see all across the country.
Speaker 2: I would hope, I would hope zero.
Speaker 3: But if you go back and remember a few years ago where the NBA had had one official or maybe with the two officials, that they found out that they were being influenced that he was gambling.
Speaker 2: If the NFL is going to do this.
Speaker 3: Gary, Jeff, I'll probably do it secretly behind closed doors. I don't think they're closing their eyes to what to what what you're bringing up, But I think they will do it quietly, but you know, behind closed doors. And they're probably doing it now, which we don't know because you know, once they once they say that they're doing it, then the the they're like rats, they like they take off when the lights come on. So maybe they're doing it but behind and behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: So really they should they really they should.
Speaker 1: So behind closed doors like David Stern and the NBA did with Michael Jordan when they said, Michael, maybe you better retire for just a minute until this blows over, because they were all kinds of reality and anybody doesn't believe that, and they're just fooling themselves. You know, something was going on there. Yeah, well, same thing with the show. Hey Tony, you know you can't tell me the show.
Speaker 3: Hey Tony didn't know where his money was going on, or that is, his personal handler was making all these bets. But you know, he was the face of baseball, you know. And then and the commissioner didn't want any part of that. And of course the commissioner gave well, you know, the astros or you know, walking papers because they didn't want to testify against each other for the attaintant of the World Series of Championship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt I wanted to. And I know you wanted to talk about the Pete Rose visitations. So if you want to just launch into your thoughts on that, because I know Pete, your guy, Pete everybody's guy in Cincinnati. If you're a baseball fan, so just tell me about that. Talk about that a little bit, if you don't mind.
Speaker 3: I got down there around twelve fifteen and I was still spitting rain and the wind was blown, and we decided, well, let's go in down sort of waiting for our people to meet. At one o'clock, I'll call him and tell him to come on in because there was no line right then at the time outside outside the gate.
Speaker 2: So we went.
Speaker 3: And let me be the first thing to say, Gary Jeff that the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum did a first class job honoring number fourteen. When people were in line, they had videos of you know, Pete in the past of what he did and things like that, and.
Speaker 2: They didn't rush people through the line.
Speaker 3: There was no Russian people to pay their respects, and that they gave people plenty of time. And then when you got up to the where the urn was and such, and then of course uh Fawn Rose and Kara Rose they were there to greet everybody, and they greeted, like I just said, everybody, everybody. I waited like forty five minutes, which wasn't bad because there was a line through the ropes. Once you walked into the stadium. But Fawn and Kara, Uh, they were they were just tremendous. They took they took their time and talked to everybody. Nobody was being rushed, and that was the great thing. That really was Tyler Rose he was there, but I didn't see him, so I didn't get to talk to Tyler. But of course I talked to Fawn and I talked to Kara, and they were so apprecied of everybody that showed up. I don't know the head count officially yet, but when I when I left, because I went across the street to get something to eat with my party. When I left, the line was out from the stadium to the to the statue because the rain had broken up. So I don't know, but there was a continuous line of people all day long. Needless to say, it was it was well done. It was respectful, and I think everybody down there, you know, and when people were in line, Gary, Jeff going too hardly. Anybody was even talking. If they were talking, they were talking real low. So it was respectful, respectful.
Speaker 1: So there was there was a there was an element of reverence there. Uh yes, and and uh maybe that is absolutely the proper protocol for an event like that. It was a visitation for Pete Rose. Now I've been visitations for people before, and you know, after you go by, if there's a casket, After you go by the casket and you greet the immediate family members, then it kind of breaks up and you're talking and stuff. But uh, while you're waiting in that line, there's usually not a whole lot of conversation. Obviously Pete wasn't there, but uh, it wasn't official.
Speaker 3: It was the same way it was recognition. Yes, yeah, there was a yeah, you can hear Pete. I've heard people talk about anody was talking.
Speaker 2: I'm loud.
Speaker 3: Nobody really was laughing and carrying on. Maybe when they got up to Fawn and she told him a joke or Kara told him a joke or something. But in the line, people were very very very very quiet. And it was again they read Hall of Famer, Museum of Kudos to them because they did a first class job honoring the hit king.
Speaker 2: How about till that I made it?
Speaker 1: How about Karen Fawn's how about their How were they doing? How did they seem to be doing?
Speaker 3: They seemed to be doing great they seemed to be doing great. Yeah, Fawn was a you know, it was doing great.
Speaker 2: I think she was. I think she is. She pretty much you know, organized most of them. And then Kara.
Speaker 3: Of course, Kara was smiling and it seemed like she never really been out in this limelight meeting fans like that because she'd been living in La so she probably really didn't know the you know, the love for the hit king, but she saw firsthand firsthand on Sunday.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: Does he now? I mean, do they finally lift the veil since he has gone and led him into Cooperstown as a inductee. I mean he's all over the Hall of Fame anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but they won't. They won't do that.
Speaker 3: They won't do that, I mean, and I don't think the family really wants it, because Pete had said before he passed, he said, you know this is for you know, my induction would be not on it for me, but for my family to enjoy.
Speaker 2: Well, he wouldn't be there, but they would be there. I don't. I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't see Rob manfred h doing it. He's just a Putts and he's Another problem with being major League Baseball is Rob Manfred that guy his priorities are so out of whack too.
Speaker 2: But but I don't see that. I mean, you know me.
Speaker 3: I mean I would love to see Pete in the Hall, but I wanted to see him there when he was alive. And speaking of the Hall, coming up here in December, we shall we shall learn if Dave Parker, the Cobra, will get elected, because he's on that special committee to possibly be elected. If you look at Dave Parker's number, I mean, this guy at one time was the best player in baseball, and Dave Parker has the numbers should be in the Hall of Fame. If Harold Baines is in the Hall of Fame, who never did squad to Dave Parkner, Well there you arrest my case. And if Dave Parker gets inducted, I'll be at Cooperstown to honor the Cobe. I love Dave Parker. He was one of my favorite Reds of all time and still to this day, Gary Jeff, I'll say, look it up, Dave Parker is still the best a free agent signing ever in the history of the Cincinnati Reds.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna do that right now. Would you like to wait a moment.
Speaker 2: Now because I know, because I know you'll still tell me all the numbers.
Speaker 1: Has all right, wild Man as always a joy speaking with you. Let's look ahead. The Bengals play the Chargers on in five days on Sunday night. How's that?
Speaker 3: And that's a that's a big, big win. If they can beat the Chargers, they have the week off to get healthy, get ready to get get all ready for the the Steelers coming in the following week. So this is a big, big win to keep your playoff THEMS alive.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, they're all big wins. They just need to get they need to get signed.
Speaker 3: Well, this is against a winning team. Okay, we'll be against a winning team. But then when you set up so momentum because you got the bye week to get more healthy and then to play another winning team at home, which is a division games. But that's the first things. First, they gotta beat the Charger. The Chargers are not that great.
Speaker 2: On offense, but they have a good defense.
Speaker 1: Give me a classic wild Man Forever never to finish this call.
Speaker 3: Pete Rose Forever, Fay, Vincent, Bud Selig, Rob Manfred, you can suck it.
Speaker 1: All right, wild Man, thanks coming up. After the news break, Andy Furman joins us on the Nightcap on seven hundred WLW twelve after Zamier basketball. Here on seven hundred WLW Garry Jeff once again welcoming into the fold. One of the great sports voices in all of Cincinnati radio history. I mean, from the time Marconi or in this case Powl Crosley decided to line them up up and start broadcasting to the ether. This guy, he wasn't quite around then, but you know he is accepted in the annals of Cincinnati Radio Royalty and well should be the one, the only fur Ball, Andy Furman, Hello fur Ball.
Speaker 4: You know Mark Cony two. He makes a pretty good pizza. You know that he really does. All right, let's get going because time is over the essence, and stop it with these long term introductions which you're killing my time. This is my time for this time of the week. I don't get much time on radio locally much anymore. I don't know why. Let me talk about that for a second. You know, all these sports talk shows we're to bring in, these so called national guys. I'm out of town on the radio. I'm a national guy, all right. I talk on Fox Sports radio. I'm not. Why don't they give me a call? Give me a call, they got my number. My opinion is it's good or better just somebody these clowns nationally. But that's okay, that's okay. You want to ignore me, you want to diss me, that's fine. You're the only doesn't this me think about that. But let's move on. I just wanted to event that out, you know, and each me out, really up alive while I hear the radio, Let's go nationally to Joe Schmoe and Tim Buck to Hey, schmuck, I'm on Fox Sports Radio. I'm national. Okay, have you got.
Speaker 1: Any more venom you'd like to?
Speaker 4: You know, some people go to the toilet and sit down to get out of this system. I talked to you to get out of my system.
Speaker 1: I'm help.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you really did, so let's move on.
Speaker 1: All right, What what hell's you got in?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm a little ticked um down. This is the way I'm down down the dust because I lost a friend and his name is Peter Edward Rose. All right, I really did. And I don't know if you read my op ed piece of the Cincinnati Inquired, there's little cincinnat dot com. But how Pete Rose gave me a pair of alligator shoes.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that. Hold on, hold love that you do. You still have the alligator's shoes.
Speaker 4: Bevil War and they're in the box that Pete gave them to me. I'll never lose it. What side?
Speaker 1: What size are they?
Speaker 2: Andy, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think they're nine and a half or ten.
Speaker 1: I figured I figured it was smaller than my size twelve.
Speaker 4: And you know what, did another stupid move on my part. I wrote to the op ed piece for the Inquirer. I should have sent the long should have taken a picture of the shoes Phil in Nash a realization to go with the story, to take a picture of the shoes. But I didn't do that. But it's okay, you know, but he's gone, but the shoes are still here. Here's the deal. I was the pr guy Latonia race Course. They brought me in here from Lakes Region Greyhound Park in Beaumont, New Hampshire. I worked for Sports Service and they sent me from trap to track all over the country to make crazy stuff, to do crazy things to bring people into venues. I worked at Lakes Region Greyhound Park and Beaumont, New Hampshire. I work at Northfield Park in Northfield, Ohio. I worked at south Land Greyhound Park in West Memphis, Arkansas. I worked at Centennial Racetrack in Liliton, Colorado. You get the picture. I couldn't keep a job. I worked at Buffalo Raceway at Hamburg, New York. No, they moved from town to town and I did stunt, make crazy, hold on.
Speaker 1: And this is this resation of your resume, part of maybe trying to get more radio work. Is that what this is the way you opened up?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: All right, go ahead.
Speaker 4: I went to Latonia. It was the pr guy brought in here to help promote and publicize the then Jim deansteaks a prelim to the Kentucky Derby and Pete Rose, as you know, lows the horses, and they raced at night, Thorberd racing the Knight and he was there every single night, and I got to know him, he got to know me. We became pretty chummy, good buddies, he really did. I love him to death and I miss him dearly. And one night I went down to the Winter Circle to make a presentation with an owner and I came back up to the press box. He's sitting there because he didn't want to be out in the crowd, and he said, Andy, I hate those f and shoes that you're wearing. I hate him. I look. I said, oh my god, me, what do you say?
Speaker 1: No, he's not least so Pete Rose. Pete Rose hates the shoes you're wearing.
Speaker 4: He hated my shoes. I mean I couldn't. I mean it was embarrassing. Really, He's yelling and screaming, and you know the way he used to chuckle, like, I see it right now, I a picture it in my mind. So I said, what do I do? I take my shoes off, walk around barefoot, no one home. Next time to come to the races, you come there with a box. He says, this is for you. I said, what is is? Open it up. There's a pair of alligated shoes, about six hundred dollars shoes. N I said, Pete, I can't turn the beautiful I said, Peel, I can't. I can't accept this shoes. I want it. He said, what do you mean? I said, I just I won't wear I said, first of all, I would never wear them at the racetrack and go down, make a presentation in the winter's circle when it's raining in the mud, because I wouldn't want to ruin them. The only says to me, hey, schmuck, where do you think alligators live? What do you think they live?
Speaker 1: You know what? Pete Rose had a point, Andy.
Speaker 4: I know, I know I love him dearly. And that's the memory of will you know, will hold dearly? An autograph bet baseball or autographed piece of paper? Up Pete. I got the shoes. I got his shoes, and and I'll never forget it. I'll never lose I'll never give him to anybody, because Pete Rose to me was you know, was you know, you need to view a lot of people. You would to view a lot of people on a nightly basis, And there are some people like You're in awe of all right, Pete Rose, I was in awe of. But I felt very comfortable talking to him because he was very comfortable with me. We just took I'll never figured. I had a deal with him. I said that my high school, Lafiat High School in Brooklyn, produced more Major league players than any any high school in America. And he he said, no way. He said his high school here Western hild whatever in West Eye. And we went back and forth on the radio, you know, giving out names. And I think I wanted because I had co facts. I had Franko, I had Bob and ken As Romanti. You know, Pete Falcone. You named the guy they played baseball Altfiet High School, Bob, Bob Turzilli, Al the Ferrara. They all played at my high school. Okay, I don't think he came close to what I had, but he was great. I mean we went back and forth. That's the way. He was a tremendous mind. I mean, you talk about a baseball mind full of statistics. Guy really and truly was amazing and I love him and I missed him.
Speaker 1: Well then that is truly a touching tribute to the hit king Andy. And I would tell you too that. You know, I just got done talking to wild Man Walker about Pete's visitation that they had, and he said it was a very reverential and respectful presentation. And he said, he said it was wonderful. And your reaction to that was.
Speaker 4: Wait, wait a minute, wait, just a minute, just stop there. I don't understand how in the hell a visitation could be wonderful. You know, that's an oxymoronic statement. That's like I can't wait to get home and check my mailbox and get an invitation to my next visitation. I mean, were you kidding me? I mean it's wonderful. It's not wonderful. It's a said situation. It's a sad day, it's a sad time, all right, So it's not wonderful. Iuoritations are not wonderful. What about certain vision life? They just are not wonderful. That's wonder them.
Speaker 1: Many many visitations, andy are called celebrations of life. At a celebration of life, you're not in sack.
Speaker 4: A guy, some pr guy tad that okay, certain things are not wonderful. You know what, it's not wonderful. Going to the dentist. That's not wonderful. That's not a great visitation. Vegetation is not wonderful. It's why they were the dentist. It really is. If they started up to its final exams in college not wonderful. Really, college is wonderful. Final exams are not wonderful.
Speaker 1: If it were up to you, would you call it something else besides a visitation? Or we would you just say? Would you just cancel all visitations.
Speaker 4: Someone cares at the end of the line. That's what it is. Last stop, final stop, all off.
Speaker 1: Right, But but don't you believe that there's something after that you go somewhere else.
Speaker 4: We don't have visitations in my religion, we don't have visitations. A matter of fact, you have to be buried within twenty four hours. And but a thing, but a bang, you're gone. Way, there's no vegetations. That's it exactly.
Speaker 1: The family sits what do they call it?
Speaker 4: Shiver shiver for seven days? Yes, so so seven days my grandparents passed. But my grandparents passed. It was a sad day because it was seven days and it was you sit on these little stools. Uh, you wear a little tag on your clothing. You don't shave. It was cover all the mirrors in the house.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It was a haunting experience. I was a young little lad at the time when they sat shiva my grandparents.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, were you shaving at that age?
Speaker 4: No, No, I wasn't shaving. Still wearing diapers, I said, I still wearing diapers now, but still the different type.
Speaker 1: A whole different situation. You're right, tell you what hold tight for just a minute. We'll come back after a break.
Speaker 4: What tight? What should I hold tight? Tell me I'll do it. What should I hold tight?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Check your diapers, check your diapers.
Speaker 4: Ago, I'm changing them. I'll change him now.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks Andy, with a fresh set of drawers when we come back on the nightcap on seven hundred w LW. We're back with Andy Furman on this Tuesday evening, right up until the stroke of midnight, which we're getting closer and closer to by the moment. That's the way time works. Seven Gary, Jeff and Andy. What what yeah thought? Andy?
Speaker 4: I say, I listed the radio a lot. I grew with the radio. I love radio. I've been part of the radio maybe more than my life. And we say we're back with Andy Furman. Okay, why would you say that? Who the hell else would you be back with? You broke before a commercial break and you said on coming back, we're back with We're back with Mohammed Gandhi. Okay, oh who people knew you could be back with me? And you know what, here's another thing that I learned from the great Randy Michael.
Speaker 1: Let me know when you're done, We'll be right.
Speaker 4: Back no before a break. You know, you don't say we'll be right back. You know why you ain't going any where. We'll continue after this, okay or coming up next. Don't say we'll be back in radio because you're not going anywhere. All right, let us give you a little coaching. But I've learned this over the years of being around great radio people, and you know one of them, you really are. But radio Michaels is the key. He taught me everything I need to know in radio. And look, when they do this commercial I'm doing little tips now, they won't even cost you the radio station any money. When they talk about when you're doing a commercial spot, you know, buy this and we do this, it's not we, it's they. It's not we because you're not part of the company. It's not we we tell you to do this. No, it's they. They performed better. Now we perform better. When they're doing car commercials, buy ex motors because we do better. We trust you. No, they, it's not we, it's always they.
Speaker 1: Because radio is a one to one medium, you're not talking to everybody out there. You don't say, hey, folks, you go you are you finished yet?
Speaker 4: I'm gone? No, right, so I'm gone.
Speaker 1: So in response to that, you're you're right about Uh, we'll be right back. I should have gone to some other crutch to get into the break first. The first thing you mentioned, we're back with Andy Furman. You you obviously don't understand how radio works. People are driving around in their cars. Maybe they just tuned in. The average time spent listening, even for talk radio is very very short, so maybe there were many people who weren't listening before the break that just tuned in.
Speaker 4: As we continue out, No, we continue our conversation with and.
Speaker 1: So the lesson, the lesson in semantics, isn't over yet.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: I would like to I would like to direct this somewhere else because I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying. It's just I find it not helpful at this p kind of unfortunate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: We had a discussion earlier about NFL officiating and the effect that the widespread now legal gambling can have effect on an NFL team, and the NFL officials are vulnerable more so than the players. Even do you feel like do you feel like it's more of a chance that they're influenced the officials or an official could be influenced in a game situation where it was crucial by gambling forces or paid off. Do you find it it's more likely now that it's widespread legal or before when it was illegal. I think it would be more crucial when it was illegal because there weren't any maybe regulations surrounding me.
Speaker 4: I have no idea what the hell you just said, but I'll put it in Layman's terms. Right now, you would you would hope, you would hope that the official will not be duped into that situation, and I don't think they would be. However, the fact of the matter is that obviously the public is so involved in gambling right now, be it fantasy football gambling or financial gambling. Anything they do or don't do is going to be viewed as, Wow, maybe he is involved, you know what I'm saying. For example, the last Thursday night when the Bengals played, was quite obvious that Joe Burrow was hit very hard and the last play of the game home for the two point conversion. There was a hold on that and the one official, because I looked at the tape several times, looked like he was going for the flag in his back pocket. And he held that he didn't do it. Maybe because it was the end of the game, they would be whoever it was. So that puts the cloud in many a person's mind that maybe maybe just and you would hope not, but maybe he was involved in maybe he was talked to by some people out of Vegas. You would hope not. I wouldn't think so. He would hope that he has nothing. He has more on his mind during a ballgame, now what the line is on that game? But you don't You don't know. And gambling has created that question mark, which is not healthy. I don't think it's healthy. I really don't.
Speaker 1: Well, the Cyclones ever win a game.
Speaker 4: Are you talking about the Iowa State Cyclones.
Speaker 1: No, I'm talking about the Cincinnati Cyclones.
Speaker 4: And I'll go back and answer that question. Do you care?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Do you care? Really?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean here, I gotta, I gotta, I gotta.
Speaker 1: I got a couple of buddies who work Cyclones games, and they maybe a little bit care because they have to be there.
Speaker 4: But no, I do this test to myself on various sporting events and things that happen in the world of sports. Am I in or am I out? Right because to the cyclones, I'm basically out, do you care? Do you kid? Do you care? I don't really care. Really, if they packed up their beds and a truck and moved them out of town tomorrow, I don't. I wait goodbye. I don't care. I really don't. I mean, I like hockey. I follow hockey to some extent. I don't follow minor league hockey. I couldn't name one player on that team. And I know people go down there with that have dollar beer, nine dollar hotals and they go crazy. And I've seen things on social media, but people get beer pulled over one's head. And I don't think I want to go to a game that have a beerau of my head. It's great, little kids don't know better, they enjoy it, they go. Is it good for the city. Probably, that's another entertainment venue outlet. But I'm not paying twenty plus dollars for tickets for minor league hockey.
Speaker 2: Well I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm not doing it to get.
Speaker 1: It well, and I've been offered free tickets on several occasions and I have not yet taken them up on that offer. So okay, My next question, Andy Furman, is why does it seem like three of the four major sports at least have commissioners that are total puttzes, total do fi I'm talking about Roger Goodell, I'm talking about do fhim, Silver, Roger Goodell, and yes, Rob Manfred. I think they're all duficces or do fun Well.
Speaker 4: You know what, though, there's a difference between you and I. I think maybe one might very well be, but not all three. And I'll tell you why. I say that Adam Silver looks like a turtle that came out of his shell. But however, he's done a great job for the owners because he works at the request of at the pleasure of the owners.
Speaker 1: All commissioners, and all those commissioners in major league sports are basically employees of the owners.
Speaker 4: Yes they were, So let's go one by one, let's go out of Silver. With the NBA, he just made them a whopping deal of seventy seven million dollars for TV rights, which I don't think anybody was even watching NBA basketball until perhaps the playoffs and maybe after Christmas. So to him to get that deal on various networks out there on platforms to seventy seven million dollars, I think he's done a well of a job to call him a I think it's long.
Speaker 1: Seventy seven million dollars maybe play one star player's salary. That's not a lot of money.
Speaker 4: I never thought he'd get that for that product. Okay, let's move over the football. He's amazing. He's not even taking He's taken the game, which is a national sport, making it international. The other day he said he's looking too fun. I'm talking about it a goodell. Now he's looking to have eight games, eight games internationally overseas next year. He's expanded the NFL shield internationally. Right now, what does that mean? It means more money. That means more money. And he's smart enough to realize that there was a day in time when the Dallas Cowboys were called America's team, and you could put them on TV any day, anytime and everybody would watch. They're no longer America's team. As a matter of fact, I eventued, I guess that the Kansas City Chiefs of the America's team, right, Yes, yes, I think they are. With Savath Kelsey and his girlfriend, I think they're the America's team. They really are.
Speaker 1: You know, you can you can leave Taylor Swift out of this.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I think she's a big part of the the growth of football, at least for the cheese and viewership. There's no doubt she's gonna increase Jersey sales for Travis. Whatever it may be that a third commissioner, Bis Schmack can't even get him on TV. I mean what he has done, he's basically ruined the sport. He really has. What he's done now as far as changing the game, having a runner on second base and no, it is nobody goes to baseball and worries about the clock with the pitching clock. You know, if you're concerned about being home in two hours, go to a soccer game because he got a clock. The beauty of baseball has always been is timeless. That's why people go and they want to sit in the sun. It's timeless, you fool, So you keep changing the games. And you know what he's done now, he's increased. He talk about O'shan O'tani and what he's done. Great play, okay with the stolen basis what he has done and people don't even talk about this. He increased the bases, the size of the base. You know what the bases look like. Now they look like Rosa's pizza boxes. That's what they look like. That's how big these freaking bases are now. So you talk about guys stealing bases fifteen bases a year, you know, it's not comparable to what guys did ten fifty, twenty years ago, when the bases were like a toothpick when they were small. They look like a box of the Roses pizza. That's what they do. It's crazy. And now there's about eighteens in Major League Baseball there're scrambling for a television contract. I mean, it's bad, it really is. So I put the finger on him, Manfred and the other guys. I give him a pass because at least they're making big time money expanding their brands.
Speaker 1: So anybody who breaks like stolen base records now that they need an asterisk now behind there in front.
Speaker 4: It's not going to happen. In my mind, they will be I'll give you another example. When a guy rushes for a thousand yards, everybody goes crazy. It's like the benchmark. Hey, you got to remember, they play seventeen games. Now, I don't think that that means anything. Now, they played twelve games. That was something when they played twelve or fourteen games, that's a big benchmark. That's why Derrick Henry is so great because as of week ten he had gained over a thousand yards. That to me is an accomplishment. One thousand yards and ten games, that's big. Okay, he.
Speaker 1: Sure sucked on Sunday night.
Speaker 4: But he did. No, he did.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt less than two yards of carry.
Speaker 4: Okay, But the team is winning, Baltimore is winning. I mean we should be as lucky. The Bengal should be as lucky. They really should be. Well, you know what I'm saying. I mean, let's let let's give credit. What credits do I mean? Guy rush for over one thousand yards is a future Hall of Famer. He did it in ten games. When these other running basket and rush for one thousand yards of seventeen games, I go home big.
Speaker 1: I agree. You know, that's the first thing you've said tonight that I agree with, Andy, And I think that's a fine way to finish the first finish. All right, all accept all except for the fact that you got alligator's shoes from Pete Rose. And now I'm jealous.
Speaker 4: And I'm I can't wait, and I can't wait to get to my next vegetation. I just can't wait. Thanks. Thanks for Cole wild Man. I'm gonna go. I'll go with wild Man, We'll go together.
Speaker 1: Really, thanks, thanks for changing your depends.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: All right, have a good one, Thank you too. It is the Nightcap abbreviated version, and we close with the national anthem to honor America. After that, on seven hundred WLW