Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six.
Speaker 2: Forty KFI AM six forty. We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and YouTube. It's Later with Mo Kelly. Let's do a little bit of health and wellness with our regular commentator, the Claudine Cooper. Go to Claudinecooper dot com. She joins me right now in the studio. How you doing, miss Cooper?
Speaker 3: Hello everyone? How are you mo? It's good to be back in studio with you.
Speaker 4: It's always good to have you.
Speaker 2: And we were texting each other and I was saying, I was asking, did you have people in your workouts in your gym that were either tangentially affected or directly affected by the fires, and how is that played out in their workout life and their health and wellness life.
Speaker 3: The answer is yes.
Speaker 5: Obviously most of us who live in Los Angeles County have experienced someone close to us.
Speaker 3: Who has either been would you call it.
Speaker 4: Ten ten tangentially? I like it directly?
Speaker 3: You're you're so smart, mom. I just got to catch up.
Speaker 5: Look, if I didn't like you, I would go ahead. So here's what happened that week. You know, they we knew that the weather was kind of crazy and there was a possibility that there were going to be fires.
Speaker 3: I still went to work.
Speaker 5: And what was surprising to me when I went to go teach my classes were how many people also came to class, and they came to class because they needed a reprieve from watching constant news. And I don't know if you saw what I posted on Facebook the other day, but I really do think that our mental health is impacted by the amount of news, the amount of information, the amount of content that we consume.
Speaker 4: I close on that one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: It impacts me and my life, my health and wellness, my emotional agility, you know, all of that. All of that's real, and I can only imagine during those types of events how it may impact someone where it's not their job and they're inundated with it.
Speaker 5: So it's your job to work in the news, but it's my job to work in the gym, and a lot of people are coming to work out for not just their physical health, but also for their mental health. And at that time, there were a lot of people suffering in mental health ways because you had firefighters yep, right then, you had.
Speaker 3: Which didn't occur to me until I was in the gym.
Speaker 5: You had the spouses or the partners of firefighters, right, so they're already in a panic state because the people they love are out there fighting the fires. Then we also have like my co workers whose families were losing homes, so tangent.
Speaker 3: Gently, tangentially, I'm my work on that.
Speaker 5: So yes, But to say that, to say we have had even after that, the recovery efforts of just trying to keep enough wellness resources available to the people who are still recovering, this is an over mo.
Speaker 2: No, it's not over. And the long term implications we don't know. But I imagine it avails itself. It shows itself in different ways. I'm quite sure there's some people saying like, look, I don't have time to go to the gym. I'm trying to make sure my life is in order, still dealing with the direct impact of the fires.
Speaker 4: And there are those who are saying like.
Speaker 2: They might be in this malaise where they don't feel inspired to go work out because there's such a heavy burden upon them.
Speaker 5: I mean, people who work out consistently are really addicted to the way it makes them feel.
Speaker 3: That's the truth. Like, I think you work out consistently because of how it makes.
Speaker 4: You feel, right dorphins.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't want to do it when I'm getting some days, but then after I do it, I feel like, hash, let's go another.
Speaker 5: Hour, Let's go another hour. That's me every time I'm in the gym, I'm like, I could do another class. But but you do have to also, as you get older, be very careful about getting caught up in that adrenaline because you'll push yourself and then you'll end up injured.
Speaker 3: And I'm nursing an injury right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got an injury just because I woke up today and my ankle was sprayed and I noticed it when I first got out of bed and I was walking down the stairs.
Speaker 4: I couldn't tell you what happened. I honestly don't know.
Speaker 2: I just know that my ankle was sprayed or felt like it was sprayed. And all I did was wake up and put my feet on the floor, yes and be fifty five.
Speaker 4: Well, you got to make it personal.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is the truth, is what did you hear that?
Speaker 4: Why don't you got to make it personal?
Speaker 5: What did I do to Claudie, The truth is, when you get to be a certain age, you can turn your head the wrong way and all of a sudden you've got a crook in your neck. I mean, it's so many different arge ways, and like you said, you don't always know. I think that my injury is because I was doing something a little bit too much at the gym. I got carried away and I was in our number three, I think, and that's when, like I said, I'm talking to myself, not anyone else. But you really do have to monitor your output in the gym. And so anyways, going back to the fires, I did see a lot of firefighters return back to the gym, because firefighters typically do like to use the gym for their own personal physical fitness. And as they came back, oh moh, my heart broke. One guy said.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 3: I asked him how he's doing. He said, I haven't.
Speaker 5: Slept in days, just reliving, just thinking about what happened. And as you know, sleep is a huge part of our healing and recovery in any aspect.
Speaker 2: You may have asked on that occasion, but do people just share do they offer up? Because I know the people who may run your classes, you turn into kind of a catch all for everyone's lives. They will share things about their lives. What else are they sharing with.
Speaker 3: You in that regard?
Speaker 5: As far as the fires go, people are still looking for places to live. There seems to be like a housing shortage for people who have been displaced. So that is what I've been hearing again. Yes, people do tell me a lot of things, things that aren't related to fire recovery. But people do tend to share a lot with their personal trainers and with their group fitness instructors. And that's natural because who do you spend one hour a day with every day or every other day. Is there anyone you can think of you spend that much time with.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: I mean you know you listen to later Mo Kelly, you talking about the best three hours out there.
Speaker 3: So it might be a little biased, but you might be a little biased maybe your pastor maybe, but not every day on Sundays.
Speaker 5: Right, It's not too many people you're spending that much time with. I mean I think about you know, as far as my family goes, yeah, I spend time with them, but like outside of that, even my close friends do I see them for.
Speaker 3: One hour a day every other day.
Speaker 4: No, I don't.
Speaker 3: So there is a closeness that we have.
Speaker 2: If you're joining us right now, it's Wellness Wednesday. On Later with mo Kelly. You can see Claudine Cooper not only at Claudinecooper dot com, but here in studio as she joins us, as she's been known to do. So if you have a question or thought, put it in the chat. We have the live YouTube stream that's the where you want to do that, and we'll have Claudide answer some questions when we come back. It's Later with mo Kelly, CAFI AM six forty and YouTube live everywhere around the world.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty and YouTube.
Speaker 2: As my continue my conversation with Claudine Cooper, go to Claudinecooper dot com right now and find out more.
Speaker 4: She joins me in the studio.
Speaker 2: Claudie, we were talking last segment about the impact of the fire see emotional sometimes physical impact on how people approach their future health and wellness. They're still dealing with it emotionally, they're still dealing with it physically and as we get now we're on the doorstep of summer, I would say, well, wellness, bring we're looking at summer. How does that impact what you do? All these things put together hmm.
Speaker 5: I will say that I feel very connected to people who have gone through a lot of trauma, and going through the fires is a trauma, and so I call myself a trauma informed wellness professional. That just means that I've been through some things, and if you've been through some things, let's use these tools to help ourselves heal.
Speaker 2: Do you find sometimes when people offer up about their personal lives and you hear what firefighters were going through, what other people were going through, that sometimes it's a little.
Speaker 4: Too much for eving you.
Speaker 5: Oh, I definitely hit my max capacity by the end of my work day. And my husband will tell you, I come home and I just need like a moment to well, let me.
Speaker 4: Ask her to get your business when I walk in the house. I my wife.
Speaker 2: Knows even though when our schedules were more comparable. Yeah, don't hit me with a bunch of questions because I've been in the car probably for an hour an hour and a half. I don't I'm not ready to have a conversation yet. I'm not ready to have a conversation when I first wake up, and I'm not ready to have a conversation when I first walk in the door.
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 4: How was you day? Tell me about this? What happened to?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 4: No? Sometimes? What's it like for you?
Speaker 5: As always, you and me were twins. Don't talk to me when I wake up, don't.
Speaker 3: Talk to you? Hear it?
Speaker 5: But I don't have to say that to my husband because he trained me years ago. You know, he had a very stressful job as well, with a long commute as well, and so he didn't want to be bothered when he just got in the house. And so we've kind of both honored that for each other.
Speaker 2: Without getting into the specifics of what you're husband did before retiring. Was that something that he, in an emotional way brought home and you had to be that wellness professional for him as well?
Speaker 3: That's a good question.
Speaker 2: I know that's why they pay you the little bucks, they pay you the big bucks.
Speaker 5: But I I don't know that I would use my wellness professional skills on my husband so much. But we definitely have an understanding of how to engage with each other when one or the.
Speaker 3: Other of us is at our last rope. You know how that what you're talking about, you know how only that all the married people can feel me right now?
Speaker 2: Yes, do we have any questions in the in the chat Carnegie? If not, I'll come back to you. Okay, let me come back to you.
Speaker 4: Then.
Speaker 2: Of course you still have your your free Saturday workouts, and I'm quite sure there heat up literally because as the weather gets better, you have more and more people coming out. Let's remind people how they can get their workout on for free each and every Saturday.
Speaker 5: Well, I love that the weather does bring out more people. But because of the weather, we also have other competing events in the area where I teach the classes. So this week we're doing a five k for veterans, so that is going to compete. Say that, a five K for veterans, so that's going to compete with my free workout. But we're still having the workout and we're still having the walk, so it'll be both at the same time. And that's right near Sofi Stadium. It's called the Hollywood Park Retail District. And I start my workout at nine every Saturday.
Speaker 2: When I've gone the best place to park is just enter off Prairie and ninety seven.
Speaker 5: Easy enter off Prairie in ninety seven, huge garage, huge free parking, farmers Market's going to be going on that day.
Speaker 3: It's really a very easy in, easy out. But people over complicate things, especially if they've never been. And I've noticed that this is just a sidebar. Do I have some time?
Speaker 4: Of course you do.
Speaker 5: So I've noticed this with people nowadays, even more so than before.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of anxiety in the gym.
Speaker 5: And I didn't recognize that there was something called gim anxiety.
Speaker 3: Have you heard of it much?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 5: It did not, Okay, So this is a real thing, and it is stemming from not knowing what to expect when you get to the gym, not knowing who else going to be there, not knowing the exact place to park. So there's a lot of people suffering from gym anxiety, and when they get to the gym, it doesn't stop there. It goes into now what do I do now that I'm at the gym?
Speaker 3: Do I live weights? Do I do cardio? Do I? So this is.
Speaker 5: Something that fitness professionals are now being trained on learning how to manage the people who have Jim anxiety.
Speaker 2: I can imagine any level of uncertainty creates anxiety, and I can imagine for any person who may not work out consistently in a gym environment. You walk in, you don't know anyone by and large, You don't know who's going to be there, who you may run into, who may look at you in a different ways, like, Oh, you're trying to work out. You don't know what type of judgment or perceived judgment is awaiting you. And then you don't know what people are going to think why you're doing what you're doing. It's like, oh, that person does I'm going to just talk about the things that I've thought about as a grown ass man. It's like, Oh, that he doesn't know what he's doing, he's not using the weights correctly, or he's not going to get anything done. Those are just my thoughts and I can only assume extends beyond me.
Speaker 5: Well, the thing about anxiety is it has, at least in my opinion, having worked with the gyms over the last thirty two years, anxiety overall has increased. And I don't know what that is from, but I definitely know I'm seeing it in younger people, and I'm seeing it more frequently.
Speaker 3: And you talked about parking for my workout.
Speaker 5: I have someone who just came couldn't figure out the parking situation, turned around left.
Speaker 2: I think more than just a few of us are always looking for a reason to not even to leave.
Speaker 5: And that's totally I agree with that, that's totally understandable. And I think maybe Jim anxiety is also people who don't really want to be at the gym anyway.
Speaker 4: That's true, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Clauding Cooper very quickly, let's get her card up on screen again, Daniel, how can people find you beyond Claudincooper dot com, your social media and so forth.
Speaker 5: I guess Daniel just put up my email, but that's an old number, so you're not going to reach me, don't call me anyway.
Speaker 4: So I think I.
Speaker 5: Think he's putting up some videos right now of workouts that I did with my friend Jacqueline over the pandemic. I think he's just cruising through my YouTube, which I do have a YouTube. I have social media TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, although it's friends only, but you can send me a friend request, so thank you.
Speaker 2: But they can always go to Claudiaancooper dot com Win in Doubt, Win in doubt. Yep, Claudian is always great to see you and hopefully you'll see you sometime soon in the future.
Speaker 3: You will. Whenever I can get out here, I'm here.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty