Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: President Trump has announced that he is scheduled to speak with Russian President Vladimir Putin tomorrow as we have these efforts to try to endless war and Ukraine. Trump talked about it when he was flying from Florida to DC last night on Air Force One. The Kremlin has confirmed that they will be planning that phone call. Trump said that land and power plants are part of the conversation around ending the war in Ukraine, whatever sort of a deal is worked out between the two countries.
Speaker 1: There was an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal, and it's not a new concept. It's know what our history is, so we don't repeat it or learn from our mistakes that we've learned from in the past. Things of that nature. Anyway, was an opinion piece. Peggy Union, I believe, was the author. I believe, and it's about how Upton Sinclair, whose house, by the way is in Monrovia. If you didn't know, I did not on myrtle anyway about Upton Sinclair's I believe it is. I could be wrong about that, but I think I think I'm right about that anyway. Update in Sinclair's book, The Jungle, Now, The Jungle is about the meat packing industry in Chicago back at the turn of the century nineteen o six, I believe, is when it was published, and it's all about going undercover and digging into the meat packing industry and the early advent of the FDA and why we need a government agency, and why we need government agencies, and how yes there's a need for them, but they just got way out of control, and that the answer is somewhere probably in the middle. Anyway. So I thought that was fascinating when it comes to that that book and that industry in particular as it relates to what's going on with DOGE. But before we get there, you.
Speaker 2: Were saying something about why my parties are not good.
Speaker 1: That's not true, I said. The reason, the topic of the reasons I don't want to go to.
Speaker 2: Parties, the topic is that parties seem to be dying out, not doing parties like we used to.
Speaker 1: I loved your super Bowl party. I love your Super Bowl parties, and I love them because we get together with people that we see just at work doing work stuff. But we also see people we used to work with or that we see from time to time, and you just say, hang out and just have some time not to talk about work stuff or whatever, talk s or what have you. And I do enjoy them. Now, what I don't enjoys people on their phones. And I noticed that and I won't name names, but it was driving me insane because you're there and you're with a group of it's not like there's a shortage of I mean, even if you're with five people, it's root if somebody's just on their phone, you know, And I get it, you're watching the super and you want to see what's trending, and like that's one thing, but like if you're just like on your phone, I don't know, it's just rude to me. It's rude when I see children do it. It's almost more annoying when I see adults do it all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's very funny that you mentioned that we had friends over on Friday night and they had a babysitter. So we've always we've never begrudged anybody checking in with the babysitter.
Speaker 3: Ever, Like we totally get it. We totally understand.
Speaker 2: But she at one point realized that her phone was on the table while we were eating dinner and apologize, I'm so sorry. I don't usually do that, I don't forget and she turns around to put her phone off of the table.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which I thought was so refreshing. Yeah, it was such a nice like, oh, yeah, I didn't notice that her phone was on the table.
Speaker 2: It's not like I looked at it and thought, well, she can't even pay attention while we're eating dinner, how rude.
Speaker 3: But it was just an acknowledgment of it. It was a nice thing.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever seen anybody apologize and then remove.
Speaker 1: The phone, and I think we're gonna swing the other way. I think, like when you think about when did it become acceptable, you just think ten years ago acceptable for you're in a conversation with someone, for them to like pick up the phone or whatever, you're walking down the hall, whatever, it would have been weird. And now it's so normalized. And I think now maybe we might be swinging the other way to the point of like that that's rude.
Speaker 2: I did say there were two things that were at play. One of them is that we now A lot of times will jump to the option of well, I could just buy it online and have it delivered. I don't have to go out into the real world. The other thing is, I'm guilty of this as well, the relief that you feel when something gets canceled, The relief that you feel when you don't have to go to the thing, the event, even the party or a plan with you know, friends.
Speaker 1: It could be a hair appointment, like, it could be anything where you're just like, oh, I can't go, Like when I want to go donate blood and they're like, you can't. Your blood cells suck. I was like, why cause I could go home now instead of in twenty minutes, you know.
Speaker 3: And it's just very odd.
Speaker 1: It's a very odd reflex to be excited when things fall through.
Speaker 3: You don't get your cookie that way.
Speaker 4: Hey, Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 5: I hate to be a one trick pony, but I think the poultry season is the reason that Shannon never has a party at her house.
Speaker 2: Take care of guys.
Speaker 1: It's probably the last one, is it, maybe? But listen, I enjoyed your performance, Let's be clear about that.
Speaker 3: Because you knew it was going to make material that would last for years.
Speaker 6: I did not.
Speaker 1: I didn't know if like that's what you do all the time, Like it's become more special as the years have gone by, because I realized how special it was in the moment I was relatively new in the relationship, where like I didn't know if that was Gary on a Thursday, Like, I don't know if you just get up and start gyrating to the seasonings.
Speaker 3: I don't even think. We can't find poultry seasoning in my house.
Speaker 1: And there's probably my wife took it away because she was jealous. I don't think that's what she was feeling. I don't think jealousy was.
Speaker 3: She was hell us of the moves I was putting on that little.
Speaker 1: I think regret may have been up further up on the low.
Speaker 2: Probably that's a much more likely all Right, we'll get into swamp watch when we come back.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Convention of threes MO Motivational Monday is coming up late in the twelve o'clock hour, and we're going to spin the wheel and we had some.
Speaker 2: Great submissions last week for motivational speeches that you've seen or heard in radio radio. I guess the radio if you wanted to TV and movies and some of them in real life. So we'll catch a little bit of motivation as you'd get into the rest of your Monday.
Speaker 3: Before we end the shows.
Speaker 1: It is time for swamp Watch. I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar.
Speaker 3: And when I'm not kissing baby, I'm stealing that lollipop.
Speaker 6: Here we got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 1: The other side never quits.
Speaker 3: So what I'm not going anywhere?
Speaker 1: So that now you train the swap, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been.
Speaker 3: You know, Americans have always been gone at present.
Speaker 6: They're not stupid.
Speaker 2: A political plunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 3: Whether people voted for you were not. Swamp watch, they're all counter on.
Speaker 2: Well, this is just the strictly politically speaking. In terms of what's going on in Washington, d C. There will be a big conversation tomorrow. President Trump is expected to speak with President Putin about a potential peace plan in Ukraine. Also, there is some some ongoing discussion about the legality of whether or not. The planes full of criminal migrants that were headed to El Salvador and Honduras over the weekend, we're supposed to have been turned around because of judge had explicitly said it in court, but it wasn't in part of the written order. And then President Trump explicitly linked the actions of the Hoothi rebels to Iran, their main benefactor, and is warning Iran that it would suffer the consequences if there are any other attacks by Hooti rebels there in Yemen. Of course, we dropped several bombs on Yemen over the weekend. They said they killed at least fifty people. Their classic book, by the.
Speaker 1: Way, classic book the Jungle Upton Sinclair. This was published in nineteen o six, an expose of the practices of the meat packing industry in Chicago. Now Upton Sinclair was described as a socialist and a crying could just ask Teddy Roosevelt. He went under cover, Upton Sinclair did for seven weeks to investigate the Union stockyards, and he talked about this city of slums and street urchins and fights between immigrants, the polls, the Lithuanians, the Slovaks that they were that they were working hard in these stockyards under brutal conditions that they would get diseases, their hands were ruined by acid.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 1: It was just it was awful. There were no worker protections. Unions were just shakedown operations for the political machine. That hasn't changed anyway. And so he he meant to indict capitalism's abuse of innocent men and women who had come to America with dreams in their hearts. And that's what a socialist in a crank would do, right. But Teddy Roosevelt, in his second term as president, initially refusing this book, decided that there were some basis of truth in the allegations, so he sent investigators to Chicago. There was a subsequent government invest mistigation and report, and that is when Congress enacted landmark Resolution, the Meat Inspection Act and the Pure Food and Drug Act, which later on expanded to the Bureau of Chemistry, which became the FDA. But as Peggy Noonan writes in The Wall Street Journal, they got it right. It's did start with a zelot who went crazy for preserving the American dream. But it also brought up the fact that there needs to be some sort of government oversight to make sure that these people aren't taken advantage of, or that things are done in a way that is won't kill us, so to speak.
Speaker 2: Right, the ideas of Doge, specifically the coming since that's what we're talking about, that's the overriding theme that's kind of permeated through all of the stories coming out of DC in the last seven eight weeks. There has to be a certain amount of understanding that yes, it's painful, Yes it looks bad. Yes, maybe the knife is too sharp or the hammer is too big, but there's nobody who you speak to who doesn't believe that the federal government is too large.
Speaker 1: It's gone crazy, but it's it's still necessary. To her point, it's still necessary. I mean, when you think about conservatives, it's we have for a long time rallied against governmental costs. You know, you pay four hundred fifty dollars for a chair that costs seventeen dollars. That kind of thing, overreach, waste, and yes, it exists, and it has run wild in many federal agencies, as she writes, but she says it's good to remember now that government does employ many people who help us that we could not do without the example, that everyone always uses the air traffic controllers. Obviously, food inspection another one. I'm coding social security checks. Need those people, and there are many people who do these jobs. Well, but she said, is that now that the sky, the size and the scope of government continues to grow, it does require sharp oversight. But make no mistake about it. You should be able to say in a clear, sharp sentence what you do and that does help America? Do you help protect it from poisoning? Do you enhance his reputation in the world? Do you make sure Bob and Maine gets his social Security check? If you can't produce that clear, sharp sentence of what you do, then yeah, maybe you are a part of the bloat. Back to the email of what is it you say you do here that everyone rallied against. If you can't say what you do here, then there's probably a problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and she at least gives credence to both sides and says, listen that in a time of cutting, that's where we are. Not everything is bad. Right wing propaganda, just like left wing propaganda, can get carried away. That the libertarian impulse is beautiful, but it's dreamy. For example, she says a libertarian would have told Upton Sinclair that the mark it's correct, the market corrects all that a company that sells bad beef won't survive long.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: But obviously, up until that point, this company that's selling bad beef is going to end up killing people, which is why the government does step in when it is absolutely necessary.
Speaker 3: So that's that's fun.
Speaker 2: Did you ever see if Upton Sinclair's home is actually in Oh, let me.
Speaker 1: Look that up. I'm prety sure I know exactly which one it is. Standby. It could be someone completely different, and I could just be conflating this.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty dope it's there. It is? Was it on myrtle?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 1: It's built in nineteen twenty three. The home of American novelist Upton Sinclair between nineteen forty two and nineteen sixty six. That's where he wrote many of his later works. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been declared a National Landmark. It is a private residence. It was designed by California architect Frederick H. Wallace.
Speaker 3: It's a Wallace home.
Speaker 1: Sinclair bought it in forty two. He wanted a quieter location than Pasadena.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know how bustling Pasadena was in forty two.
Speaker 1: It sustained damage during the nineteen ninety one Sierra Madre earthquake Debra.
Speaker 3: In eighteen ninety one, it.
Speaker 1: Was nearly torn down by its owner at the time. However, the State Historic Preservation Office said, hell no, this thing stands bare.
Speaker 3: He goes.
Speaker 1: The grounds also include a concrete vault where he kept all of his papers. Fascinating it turned out into a wine.
Speaker 3: Cellar or something.
Speaker 1: It probably is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, up next, our friend Jojo from upstairs, we're going to be talking about the iHeartRadio musical war.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: I've everywhere else. I mean, you're so excited. I love it. I love it. We've got a little fifth floor excitement down here. Hey, coming up in the next hour, there is some new questions about Gene Hackman's death and the timing and how it may impact the estate inheritance. I'm not in the business of telling you you are no stra Damis, but you hit on this last week with the timing of Gene Hackman's death versus his wife. His wife's death and what that means for the inheritance and how that moves forward. It very much in play, so we'll get into that come up in the next hour.
Speaker 3: Jojo on the radio, it's joined.
Speaker 6: M.
Speaker 3: Thanks for coming in. Absolutely so.
Speaker 2: It's always nice when people find their way down to the deserted floor down here.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love I love the fifth floor energy.
Speaker 3: And not the bore people.
Speaker 4: But there used to be like there's the elevator, and there used to be you could go either left or right from the elevator.
Speaker 3: Now you have to go right and circle all the way around.
Speaker 2: You have if you didn't know this, but you could you completed your fitnessracle for the day just by walking down.
Speaker 1: It's a five.
Speaker 4: K heck, it's like a hidden corner. But yeah, I found you guys. By the way, what is you tease that the gene? What's the since the weird kind of circumstances.
Speaker 1: Have to listen to the show, Joe Joe.
Speaker 2: When you plan your trust and will, there's a lot about predeceasing, who's who dies first, if you die at the same time, if one dies before the other one does, who gets what and all of that stuff.
Speaker 4: It was b It was not to take the shine off of this iHeart Radio Music Awards things which we're talking about tonight.
Speaker 2: Again, not to make it about us, but we weren't offered tickets this year for the first time in a while, which is weird.
Speaker 3: I think we could probably still crash it if we wanted to do. But tonight the iHeart Radio Music Awards.
Speaker 4: Yes, what should I just run through the whole bit here through tonight? Well, of course you can hear it on you can watch it on Fox. You can hear it on you know, I work a Kiss a FM. You can hear it on Kiss. Eight o'clock tonight. We start taping locally. We like I'm running a camera. They start taping at five o'clock locally, and we got I guess the major things LLO cool Jay hosting, Which have you guys?
Speaker 3: Met Ello? No? No, First of all, when you see him, he's just like Muscle. He had an age the day and he's just the coolest dude. Forty years that guy has not aged a day day.
Speaker 1: My favorite LLLL cool Jay story is something I saw on Rodney's Instagram where Magic Johnson does his yacht trip every year with friends and Rodney, Pete down the hall and Ell were there with their wives and everything, and they're on the yacht somewhere in the mediterraning Mediterranean, singing around the way girl. Of course, I was like, what, what's the.
Speaker 3: Cool I've had?
Speaker 4: I had him in the studio maybe like I don't know, three or four months ago, and I don't know, just when he walks in he starts for whatever reason, during one of our segments, he starts rapping.
Speaker 3: I think it was something.
Speaker 4: Don't call it comeback, and I'm just I'm sitting there, yeah, looking at him, like, what the heck?
Speaker 3: What is my life right now?
Speaker 1: I would die?
Speaker 3: Call it back of it was just weird.
Speaker 4: Innovator Award tonight, Lady Gaga is getting the Innovator Awards.
Speaker 3: She's the coolest ever. And then the Icon Award Mariah Carey.
Speaker 4: So you got three icons getting a variety of or a hosting right there performing Billie Eilish, Bad Bunny, Gracie Abrams, my daughters, she's going with me. She's downstairs right now, she's she's loving. She can't wait to see Billy and Gracie for sure, Money Long Nelly performing Kenny Chesney. If you're like country Gloilla, the wrap thing, you know, all that good stuff. So it's a it's a big, big, big show the Dolby Theater. If you guys want to crash it, you know, right as you should. But it's it's it's one of those wild moments. You know when you sit in these in these seats at the Dolbey Theater. You know you see the artists kind of going in and out because they shuffle the seats during the breaks and and the seat the seat seat warmers. They kind of it's it's a big moving thing between breaks and you'll see somebody like Jelly Roller walk by, a j from Backstreet Boys, my buddy will be.
Speaker 2: The logistics alone is something we sat pretty close a couple of years ago. We sat down and uh that was the fun part because we're just I mean, good thing and didn't have popcorn at the Dolbey Theater because we were just cramming at watching these celebrities that walk back and forth, and it's.
Speaker 1: Just the you know he was so small, did you she was that big? Did you know she was that tall?
Speaker 3: Lenny Kravitz hosted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he is not a giant person, no, not that he's tiny but he's nowhere near as big as you think he is, right, And that was one of those you know you get to see people up close like that. It was when when Taylor Swift walked in. She comes in like three quarters of the way through the show, because she's Taylor Swift, She's not gonna sit there for an hour and a half amongst all these people like us waiting for the award that she was given. She comes walking, I mean a phulanx of like twenty five people around.
Speaker 1: Her and then the plane closed. Security people she had in other sections that got up and left after she had made her exit. It was wild, Like there was a couple of guys in our section a few sections over that just like got up and left. They were here as plane clothes, just averaged jos as part of her security detail. Like it was insane.
Speaker 4: You never think of it. If you look real close, you see it's like the Secret Service just did he did. Taylor Swift is entering the building they have and you know what, you think, oh my god, why did she do that? But she's as famous as she is. I mean, you never you never know. You got to have a crew around you, Like I'm sure, you guys do the same.
Speaker 1: Is that why you have these guys right here?
Speaker 3: They don't.
Speaker 4: Don't mess with those guys. They will, they'll mess you up. They're crazy, you know.
Speaker 3: But it's it's a lot going on.
Speaker 4: I wish you guys were there, but it's a it's a lot happening eight o'clock tonight on Fox. You know, it's it's I don't know, anybody in pop music has has some role in it tonight, whether you're nominated, whether whether they're there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got the Pop Song of the Year. We got a couple, you know.
Speaker 4: I'll give you one category and tell me what you guys think, Pop Pop Artist.
Speaker 3: Of the Year.
Speaker 1: Pop Artist of the Year is.
Speaker 4: Nominees are Billie Eilish, Chapel Roan, Sabrina Carpenter, Tate McCrae, Taylor Swift.
Speaker 3: Who do you think? I don't know who wins, But who do you think wins?
Speaker 1: I just can't because of her performance, the whole pony thing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Kids, she's been she's been doing well, man, so I think she's got a good shot. I think I think Sabrina got a good trend.
Speaker 1: But she's kind of had her flowers.
Speaker 2: Can I say this out of all of those, I would want to meet Sabrina Carpenter, of.
Speaker 1: Course you would. Don't be don't be weird creege girls, you know, because she seems the most down to earth and willing to make fun of herself.
Speaker 4: And she she does, and she's been like she you know, I thought it was strange when she got the Grammy Award for and people talking about this, when she got the Grammy nomination for Best New Artists, because she's.
Speaker 3: Been coming up here only on her fifth, sixth album.
Speaker 4: I think of this, But I say that because she's been working so hard for so long and finally, you know, some of these artists like they just need that moment where it clicks right. And she'd been grinded forever and she had her fan base and she could tour. She she could tour forever even if this album weren't successful, the new one she's got now, but something clicks this one and she's the biggest thing in the world.
Speaker 1: She's still hearing you're the future.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's sick of that now. She now she is, she's the now now, you know. But that's that's what's up, you.
Speaker 1: Know, very cool. Well, thank you, Jojo. I don't know why I thought we were talking about Wango Tango, which is why I wrote up off any of last week about it.
Speaker 4: We got that on sale now, it just went on sale and the first time we're doing it on the beach. It's I've said this so many times. Saturday, May tenth, Yeah, Huntington City Beach. We got Doji Cat performing at Wayne Go Tango. We've got just what the list goes on.
Speaker 1: All I'm hearing is they have all the fun and we are like the killed Joys.
Speaker 3: Have you guys been You've been to it?
Speaker 1: He's like, JoJo's like, what have you guys been talking about? Garry's like, well, the Venezuelans that have been shipped out of the country. And I'm like, there's this murder trial with a semen and a toothpaste tube. And now I'm like, I hate us. We have no social skills. When people from the real floor come down here and try to talk to us like humans, and we're like.
Speaker 3: You guys come down here and we're like excited.
Speaker 1: To see the cave.
Speaker 4: To show you my rock sculpture floor. When you when you're at your wine dinner, like you're talking the other night. You bring up this stuff. I hate this guy with a toothpaste bottle. You don't bring that stuff up at your wine dinner where.
Speaker 3: No guess what I heard?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, we are this is my people and invite us two parties.
Speaker 3: That's true. Imagine bringing up over your wine what was in the Yeah.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Joe say thanks for coming down and trying to normalize it, socialize us.
Speaker 4: Please come to Wayne go Tango. I would love to you, guys sight when's the Fani perform?
Speaker 3: It sounds come on. You're gonna have to pull some strings for that. I got some strings. I'm gonna pull it. Awesome, Thank you appreciated. Up next, the Dark Side of Xanax.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Gary, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from kf I A M six.
Speaker 3: Forty everywhere on the iHeart Radio.
Speaker 1: When you get snack on like dried fruit and darbonzo beams.
Speaker 2: So I didn't even think about the snack part of it. To pack my own bring in a chomp.
Speaker 3: I brought my job.
Speaker 2: Negotiators working to end the war between Russia and Ukraine have already been talking about dividing up certain assets that's what President Trump said as he announced the plan to speak with Vladimir Putin tomorrow. Trump's comments were on Air Force One. He announced last week that Ukraine had accepted the US proposed thirty day ceasefire. That puts the ball in Russia's court, and they'll talk tomorrow about whether or not Putin will accept the proposal to bring a quick end to this now three year war.
Speaker 1: Benzos are an issue. Some of the most commonly prescribed psychiatric medications in America, but they're over prescribed. They're prescribed for things like mild anxiety to insomnia, xanaxx.
Speaker 2: Klonopin, clinasma, auta, van valium, all of it, the razapam and diazepam, a lot of PAMs, a lot of PAMs.
Speaker 3: PAMs and lambs on that one.
Speaker 2: The problem that is cropping up for some people. It's not everybody, but for some people. There is a group of people who have been on these PAMs and lambs who have an awful time trying to taper off because it appears to make their anxiety that much worse.
Speaker 1: I noticed this with myself when I would take a xanax lowest dosage, but I don't even know what that means. I don't remember what it was, but it was very low, allegedly, and I remember taking it for a fly, like because I was this nervous flyer and for whatever reason, which doesn't sound like me, because I don't like pills. I'm kind of terrified of them. But what they'll do, because I don't know what they do, I guess is the thing. But I took them to fly. And I were one time taking a xanax because I thought I was gonna be nervous to fly, and I took it before I had the nervousness set in. All right, So I take the xanax whatever. The next day, I'm wherever San Francisco, wherever I am, and I noticed that my heart's beating fast, and I feel like I've got anxiety. And what am I doing in that moment, I don't know, going and getting a bagel or something if something not to that would not induce anxiety. And I thought to myself, Holy hell, I bet that xanax I took yesterday for what I thought was going to be an anxious flight is now wearing off and it's making it's giving me a xanax hangover. In the form of my body wanting more.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think I mean that that is kudo. I'm giving kudos to you for having the wherewithal to even think about that in that moment, to think that that may have been what caused it, as opposed to just kind of ride in the wave of I'm.
Speaker 1: Still anxious about the thing or the Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know if I would have had the wherewithal to say that about myself.
Speaker 1: I think you would have if you only get anxious when you fly, and then you know.
Speaker 3: And bagel doctors say that the there's an very bagel.
Speaker 1: You want a bagel.
Speaker 2: There's a strange impact of benzo withdrawaldiazepine withdrawal that is something akin to a neurological disorder.
Speaker 3: For some of the papiers.
Speaker 1: It screws the brain chemistry.
Speaker 3: One woman describes this feeling. She had.
Speaker 2: Her GP prescribed benzodiazepine for mild insomnia more than a decade ago. She's a mother of five. She runs a charity, and the xanax helped her sleep, but she said her nervous system developed a debilitating physical dependence on it, and when she tried to quit after five years, these symptoms would consume her.
Speaker 3: She referred to something called.
Speaker 2: Brain zaps that would hit her like electric shocks, shower water would jolt her so badly that she would suffer hours long panic attacks, and at times she would writhe in pain until she passed out from this.
Speaker 1: My God.
Speaker 2: The size of the problem, we're not quite sure. For some people it's or for some researchers, they say somewhere between fifteen and forty four percent of chronic benzo users will experience these moderate to severe withdrawal symptoms, and a smaller group than that, somewhere maybe ten to fifteen percent, would suffer from protracted symptoms that can last for months and continue long after the patients taper off the drugs, and as you can imagine, some if for them the pain and the struggle is so much that they end up taking their own lives. There's a term for it. A couple of years ago, group of advocates and scientists have proposed a term for this condition called benzodiazepine induced neurological function a dysfunction. It's called BIND, and they just at this point don't have enough of that long term research when it comes to the use of these drugs and then the tapering off of the drugs to figure out what causes some people to react this way and not others. So that that I think is one of the cautionary tales about just about any medication. Perhaps sure is to be careful because in some cases, you know you're going to be on something for a long time that whether it's a let's say you have a genetic predisposition to a certain thing high blood pressure or cholesterol, whatever it is, and you get put on one of these drugs.
Speaker 3: That's pretty common.
Speaker 2: You know, you think you see a lot of people on them, but if you don't know the downstream impact that's going to have on the rest of your your body and just it's apt to carrying.
Speaker 3: Wow, that was some good times, boy, Shannon.
Speaker 1: That's that's quite the laugh you got there.
Speaker 3: You know I was gonna throw you a fish.
Speaker 5: Good morning ger in Shannon, Mike and the High Desert. Oh my god, I love Shannon's nerd laugh. It is so great, awesome, awesome, have a good day.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Mike.
Speaker 1: Did I laugh differently?
Speaker 3: You don't remember laughing like ten.
Speaker 1: Minute laughing, but it's differently than it was a loud snort. Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't notice it. No, no, I will stop being happy.
Speaker 3: I don't mind it.
Speaker 1: I will stop it right now. No more f and happiness.
Speaker 3: I just thought it was.
Speaker 2: Funny that we were talking about how unstructured we are around company and then you inhaled your own sweater through your note.
Speaker 1: Well because you said you're climbing up next the Dark side of Xanax. Like how on point? Like, we're just highlighting the fact that we are not fun here, and then you had to go and make it worse.
Speaker 2: You miss any of our snorting lasts, you can always go back out and check out.
Speaker 1: If you miss the Dark Side of Xanax, make sure to freaking circle back and double click on that.
Speaker 2: On the iHeart app. Just search Gary and Shannon or anywhere you find things.
Speaker 1: That make you happy that will kill you. Your coming up next, why sugar is bad? What cupcakes and cookies will kill you? I'm not equating Xanax with cupcakes and cookies. I was just making a joke to which I will not laugh.
Speaker 3: Poor We'll continue right after this.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show, you can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.