Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H Garden Line with Skip Rictor.
Speaker 2: It's the crazy trim. Just watch him as well.
Speaker 3: That so many people things to see bat crazy you.
Speaker 4: Not a salon, incredit gas.
Speaker 5: Salamon sweet.
Speaker 6: All right, Good Saturday morning, folks, welcome to garden Lines. Good have you with us this morning. We've got a lot to talk about, as we always do in horticulture. You know, when it comes to gardening, we never run out of things to talk about. Twelve months out of the year at three sixty five, it is there's always something, you know. It's the plants for the seasons, the problems for the seasons, identifying bugs and insects or insects and diseases and all kinds of things. There's always something going on out in the garden. That's a fun part about it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: One of the things I enjoy most about horticulture is the fact that it's always changing and there's always something new. You don't get bored. It's not like silk flowers.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: If you and I saw a landscape the other day, it was loaded with silk flowers and just all along the road and up the sidewalk and everything. And that's going to look the same three hundred and sixty five days a year until the sun fades them. But that's boring. That's boring stuff. We love the changes. We love to see the perennials go through their seasons and then go out and putting new annuals in and doing just different things. Spring brings, bring spring blooms, Summer bring summer blooms, fall brings fall blooms, and a landscape like that is always evolving, and it's just an ongoing work of art. In my opinion, I like that about it. I think that is really cool that it is an ongoing work of art. And as I've said before, don't worry about failing when it comes to gardening. Just don't give up. Because you may plant something and it doesn't do well, well, pull it up, put something else in there and it probably will. Hopefully you picked a plant that was adapted to the area. But listen, this is our fund. It's like, I don't know, finger painting in the first grade. Get you get to just take your fingers, dip them in paint and smear them all over the place. And hey, mom and dad thought it was gorgeous, right what you came up with This is for your own esthetic pleasure, So just have a good time. If you're someone that want to get out and mess with the garden, you just want done, well, you can have it done for you. But I think part of the real healing and just mental health benefit of gardening as well as physical is just getting out there and having fun doing it all. Right, Well, you've called, you're listening to the right place.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: If you'd like to call the right place, we're gonna say seven to one three two one two ktr H seven one three two one two k t RH give me a call. Let's uh, let's talk about the things that are of interest to you. One of the most important things that we do in the garden is to get out and make sure our soil is good, that our soil was basically built up for good drainage and enriched for good nutrient content and good oxygen depth into the soil. A heavy clay air just can't move down into that, nor can water very fast. Right, But as you break it up at organic matter at expanded hill, those kinds of thing, you increase the amount of air that can move down deeper and deeper into the soil and therefore the root system thrives. So that's how we do it. That is what I would say would be an organic approach to soil care, because when it comes to organics, it's all about the soil. People think, well, something's organic, so I'm going to use an organic fungicide or an organic pesticide or an organic herbicide. No, that's not where organics begin. Organics begin and still is in the soil. You get the soil, right, that's number one. Now, yes, there are organic controls for diseases and pests and weeds and things. We have those options, but it's not just changing the bullets in the gun. Organics is not just changing the bullets in the gun. It is a whole system approach. It begins in the soil. That's why Microlife when they design their products, they included a lot of soil microbiology. The product itself is former plant material. I mean it is materials that were taken from nature to create the fertilizer in the first place. But whether it's the green bag, the six two four, the one that most people put on their lawns, I use it all over the place. It's not just launs or the purple bag, which is hum makes plus the final decomposition stage of compost is humous, so it's concentrated compost in a bag. All of those are done not just to put the nutrients out there, but to help continue to build the soil better and better. And when you do that, plants thrived. That's what it's based on, as simple as that. By the way, if you're interested in Microlife fertilizers, you can find them. If you go to Microlife fertilizer dot com, you can find out all the places where you can get it in and it is so widely available. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a place that I talk about a source, A feed store, a garden center, and Southwest fertilizer, ace hardware stores all right, everybody carries micro Life, easy, easy to find. So anyway, I was talking about the importance of, you know, starting with the soil, getting that right. That is a mantra that we do talk about here a lot on the garden line because it is the foundation for success. It's where we want to begin. It just makes things easy. And so if you look at a landscape and you see beautiful flowers and you go, oh, my gosh, I wish my house looked like that. I can promise you one thing. Go to the go to the below the flowers. Go to the ground level, dig down in that soil and look at it and feel it. And I'll tell you this. That is the reason those flowers look good.
Speaker 1: That is it.
Speaker 6: Somebody has put the nutrients in and everything else to have success. Now, of course it's important. It's very important which which flowers you plant, and when you plant them and so on. We this is a big country, and there are all kinds of blooms all over the place, or rhododendrons growing wild up in Oregon and Washington. Stage. You've got a lot of things like lilac in the Midwest and other places you know that just do so well. Blue spruce and Colorado looks so beautiful. And those are plants for another place, not for here. But I can tell you this. We have our plants for here, plenty of them. You just want plants that want to be happy here, all right, If you would like to give us a call this morning, it's always good.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: One of the things that happens every show is early on. It's real slow, and that's fine. It gives me a chance to just jabber. But late in the show, then everybody tries to call, and we're trying to get through all the calls. So just a word to the wise for those of you that are early birds, this is usually the beginning of the show. Early on in the show, the first hour is a time when it's real easy to get in or you just don't have to wait very long at all if you do so. There it is seven one three two on two. I was out enjoying the birds that are at my feeders, and I every time a new bird comes to the feeder, I have to go look it up because I'm not a bird specialist, but I go look it up. And when I come back, I'm gonna take a little break here. I want to come back. I want to talk a little bit about some of the some of the things I've been noticing that I've learned from uh regarding backyard birds. We'll be right back seven three two two five eight seven four. We're going to go now out to Richard and Katie. A good morning, Richard, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 5: Hey, I appreciate you taking my calls. It's kind of a silly little question but I raise a few cows down Lavaca County, and I noticed the farmers in their corn fields always morning glories coming up in their corn fields. Is the seed just mixed in with the corn or what?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: Probably not. Its morning glory is a perennial weed, so once it gets established, it's got a little underground tuber. So it's it's it's hard to get rid of. I mean, they have access to chemicals that'll do it, but uh, it just it's a very common noxious weed. It's it's one that deal with, Yeah, in at home garden, you know, you kind of focused on it when you got several hundred acres to deal with. You know, it's kind of hard to worry about pinpointing each weed. And once one gets away, now you just sentenced yourself to another decade of dealing with those seeds.
Speaker 5: Is that playing noxious to cattle?
Speaker 6: No, No, it's just a it's not toxic. It's just a well, I don't know, let me take that back. I don't know if it's I've never heard it being toxic. But it's just a weed that infests in it climbs up on stuff, and so yeah, it's a it's a problem. For farmers.
Speaker 5: Well, yours pretty though, Well, I appreciate that. I didn't want I didn't want to have as my farmer friends. I didn't want to know how to tell them I was, so I appreciate your answer.
Speaker 6: No it Yeah, it's pretty. And boy there's some especially bumblebees and things that really love those flowers. But I'm not trying to talk anyone into leaving it around the landscape or farm that's for sure.
Speaker 5: Well, no, they are beautiful.
Speaker 8: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Thank you godle yes.
Speaker 6: You bet as well. All right here, let's see we're going to go now to sugar Land and talk to Gary. Good morning, Gary, Good morning.
Speaker 9: How are y'all doing?
Speaker 6: We're great, We're great. How can I help to day? What do you think about Flora tam grass? Florida tam is an older variety. It's been around a long time. Uh, and when it came, you know, we've got a lot of new varieties on the market, and each time they breed new varieties, they improve on what used to be.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 6: Florida TAM's biggest strength is it's tough.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: It is has a good deep root system, it's got it's very resilient. The original Flora Town was very resistant to chinchbugs, and I think maybe over the years, uh, you know, insects tend to change when they have to, and and probably some now the resistance of chinchbugs is not what it once was. It is it is somewhat, uh somewhat but not fully. The negatives of Florida Town is it's a kind of a big rangy grass. People like a really tight, nice dense lawn, and Saint Augustine already is, you know, big old fat leaf blades and runners and everything. Florida Town was even more that way. So if you wanted, you know, if you wanted the maybe you came from the north and you know a nice little bluegrass lawn or something. You want something nice and tight and everything floor toown was a little bit rainier in its growth habit, but it was. It was a good grass and and developed by Florida and Texas and m together many years ago.
Speaker 11: But it has lost its resistance to change budge for the most part, somewhat. Yeah, I would no longer say plant Flora tam and you won't have chinchbug problems at all, But there there is some there. And again it's not that the plant lost its resistance. It's that the chinchbugs have changed, have evolved and changed. That happens all the time with insects and diseases.
Speaker 1: You know, they.
Speaker 6: You know the question.
Speaker 1: I go for it.
Speaker 9: Probably seven eight ten years ago A and M came out with a new line of citrus trees that were supposed to be more cold hardy.
Speaker 6: And I don't hear them mentioned too much anymore, Okay, So yes, sir, yes, sir. What they did is they they due to some good cold freezing temperatures unusually cold, that cleaned out a lot of varieties of satsuma that weren't quite as hardy. There were a couple that they found out. Most of the results were out in the Uvaldi, but other places it was we saw this, but Miho m I h O and Cito s E t O. Miho and CTO were two of the hardier ones that they had. After that really cold weather came through. Then a fellow named doctor Moy and San Antonio developed arctic frost, and oh gosh, the other name is it's another frost. It's escaping me at the very moment. And those we were more cold hardy as well, and so we really have several varieties. There are a lot of other citrus varieties that are good, and I'll make it through the vast majority of your winners down in this area. But yeah, I think that's what you're referring to.
Speaker 9: Yes, sir, I just don't hear the poor already frost or anything mentioned anymore. And I didn't know if they did not worked out as well as they thought or what situation was.
Speaker 6: No, they worked well. One of the two frosts is a little more cold tolerant than the other. The other one's a little bit better fruit quality than the other one. It's kind of a trade off between those two. I still see them around. They are on the market. It just you know, I don't you would have to ask for them, and if you did, I'm sure the garden centers would be able to get them in for you if they don't already carry them. Okay, thank you very much. I really enjoy your show. Thank you, Gary, appreciate your call. I appreciate that a lot. You know, I'll tell you one place that you're going to be able to get things like the hardy types of citrus, and a wide variety is up at the arbor Gate in a tumble. Beverly prides herself on carrying plants that are adapted to here, getting plants that maybe are not as that people would want. And so I guarantee you they can get those kind of plants for you if they don't already have them. She carries fruit trees year round up at the arbor Gate, and I'm talking about peaches and other things. I mean, they always have something there at the arbor Gate, and so you just go if you haven't been there. It's on twenty nine to twenty west of Tumbull, just a little bit outside of town, and there's a road called Trishel t R I c ch e L Trishel Road. It goes behind Arburgate. Think of it as a loop. So as you're heading west on twenty nine to twenty, you'll you'll pass Trishel Road, then you'll see Arburgate, then you'll see Trishele Road again. So before or after, if you miss it, you're going to be able to just turn back and get to the back parking lot. And I'd recommend you do that. While you're out there, just first of all, take friends with you and you go This is a fun place. This isn't like you know, the grocery store. You walk in, I load your basket and run out because it's all just meat and potatoes. That's a good knowledgy. But this is a place where you're gonna want to hang out and shop and look at the displays and look at the yard arts, the beautiful things they have there and the gift shops and everything. So grant a friend, run out there to the Arborgate and you're going to see what I'm talking about. I always love to go. I always see plants I haven't seen before because there's always something new coming in to Arburgate. And the folks there know what they're talking about. They'll point you in the right direction. They absolutely you go in and you need help, and they can help you because they know what they're talking about. And that is so important when you go to a garden center. That's for sure. See I'm going to head out now to North Houston and we're going to talk to Paul. Hello, Paul, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Well, good morning, thanks for taking the call. Hey, here's my question, pleasure. I've had for years of Virginia button wood on my front lawn. I face the west, and it comes kind of in the I'll say the late spring. It's not in the very beginning, but then it appears on the lawn and then it kind of proliferates over the year and then come into the fall, it just goes goes away, or at least you can't see it. I know it's probably still down into the on the base of the dirt. But this year is the worst I have ever had. And picking it as an orkan, no, no, you can't.
Speaker 6: You can't pick Virginia button weed. That that is true. Virginia button weed is a difficult one to control. So bottom bottom line on it is you got to get a product that's going to work on it, which they don't all work equally well. You know, things like trimech for example, control a lot of different broad leaved weeds. Aren't as effective against it as we need them to be.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: There is a product called Celsius, like the temperature celsius.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 6: Cel s i us celsius. If you apply it to Virginia button weed, as it gets growing and stay on it, you're going to have to make a second application to it. So what you'd like to do is when it begins to green up the grass, the virginia button weed is starting to green up, you're going to want to treat it with celsius, and then about four to six weeks later, you're going to want to treat it again once temperatures get up above eighty five degrees. A lot of our broad leaf weed control products are stressful to the Saint Augustine. They weaken it, they injure it. They don't kill it out right, but they weaken it. And so what you're going to want to be able to do is apply it early on. You can apply these earlier during the lawn spring green up period, uh than a lot of other products without damaging the lawn. But it's going to take more than one control. You don't have to treat the whole long. Just where you see the virginia button, we'd treat that. And again, these aren't cheap. It comes in a little packet of like a dust and an envelope that you dump in I think it probably usually they make about a gallon of spray, which is your spot reading. So that's more than enough. But that is the one that is going to work. But again, don't expect one application and don't wait until the end of the year to try to treat it. Catch it early and then about four to six weeks later.
Speaker 10: Okay, I will try it. I guess next next spring.
Speaker 12: Thank you very much, yes.
Speaker 6: Time, all right, you bet, Paul, thank you. We're going to run to break. I'll be right back. Folks question today, we are happy to help at seven to one three two one two kt r. H seven to one three two one two kt R.
Speaker 13: H Uh.
Speaker 6: You know, I I wanted to mention Buchanans Plants, which is in the Heights on eleven Street. Buchanans has just so many native plants. In fact, that's in the name Buchanans native plants that you're going to find all kinds of things that you can grow. For example, someone who's asking me the other day about what are some good plants flowers for hummingbirds, Well, I don't know. I think Buchanans probably has about two or three dosten different plants that will attract hummingbirds, because a lot of native plants are very good at that, things with long tubular flowers. Some of the ones that aren't native but do very well, very well adapted here. They'll attract them. By the way hummingbirds are here, they're coming back. Buchanan's got you covered on those kinds of things. They always have a good stock of everything. They've got knowledgeable folks and points in the right direction. And if you're going to do any kind of native plant gardening, you need to talk to them because it's more than just buying a plant. It's how do I use this plant, how do I include this plant? It's what plants would be good for hummingbirds and whatnot. There is also today at Buchanans Plants, August twenty fourth, from twelve to one pm over the noon hour is a Midsummer Flower Grown workshop. I would call them first make sure it's not full. But a Midsummer flower grown workshops. It's a cost because you're going to get a lot of you know, there's a lot of materials that go into this that you get and get to do. It's eighty five bucks a person. But that's today from twelve to one. I would give them a call to find out more about it and find out what you're interested in. While you're out there, you know, all the other plants you want, from vegetables to herbs to house plants, do you name it. You're going to find there at buchanans Plants again there on Eleventh Street in the Heights. But you really ought to go check them out. Also check out the website Buchanansplants dot com. And the reason is there is a ton of educational material on the website and that's where you can sign up for the newsletter that is so informative. Really that alone is worth the price permission. As they say so earlier, I was talking about birds. I just mentioned hummingbirds, about the birds at my feet aer and I noticed this spring that my birds are looking scruffy. I mean when I say scruffy, it's like they had a fight with a weed eater and lost. I mean, they're just like a red bird is only about fifty percent red because all the a lot of feathers have fallen out, the outer pretty feathers and stuff. They just look horrible. And so I sent a picture to Rich who is a Waldbird's Unlimited store owner, and I know, when I go to one of the Wallbirds store owners, I'm going to get really accurate answers. And he goes, yeah, they're still molting and This was very late in the season. I thought, gosh, I think they'd be through by now. But they are, and they're about to get their new feathers in and look beautiful. If you are interested in birds, you need to go to Warbirds Unlimited and learn and ask questions because they can absolutely you get right on the right track. And you don't have to, you know, go get the whole nine yards of all the supplies and everything at once. Just go out there and get your feeder, or get you a bird house, or get mainly get some of the quality feed that they have. Their feed is not filled with stuff the birds won't eat, like cheap bird seed is cheap bird seeds full of red bebies. Red bebies get kicked off on the ground. It's milow and they get kicked off on the ground, or sort them. The birds don't care about them. So you buy this bag of feed, you get about what half of it that's actually stuffed birds eat other than maybe some doves that pack around on the ground. You need to go to Wildbirds and get quality products and quality advice. And I'm going to tell you, I'm warning you it is at an addictive hobby. I was never a bird person until I got my supplies at Wildbirds. And now suddenly I'm hearing a song and I'm I got a little app that it listens to the bird and it tells you what the bird is and is this cool stuff? Wb dot com Forward slash Houston. That's all you need to know. W b U dot Com Forward Slash Houston helps you find the six war Birds unlimited stores so you can find the one that is nearest to you. And birds are a lot, a lot of fun. I I have a number of them that I use an app called Merlin m R L I N. It's a free app from Cornell University. They've got an outstanding ornithology department up there, by the way. That's the fancy word for I'm learning about birds or anthology. Okay, let's head out to Manville, Texas and we're gonna talk to Kurt he Good morning morning. What's up Menville?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 13: Nothing much, man. I just bought a property and it's got fig trees on it, a couple of Magnoli trees.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 13: And I'll told a wild back man. I think I might have been at the casino in Louisiana and this guy that works at a nerdy tree with overheard him telling this lady that she poured some dust and salt around the trees. I guess the magnesium in it what have you would make them grow more fruit and have hepta trees grow.
Speaker 6: Yes and no is the answer to that. Magnesium is one is one of the secondary nutrients. Plants don't need as much of it as they need nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, the three numbers on a fertilizer bag, but it's the next level of nutrients, so they do need magnesum. Typically, if the plant is lacking magnesium, if you look at the older leaves, the older last, you'll start to see a green Christmas tree in the middle of the leaf. In other words, as in the center, it stays green the main the veins in the center, and then as it gets out towards the edge of the leaf, it kind of loses color, and so it looks like you're looking at a green Christmas tree and a leaf. That's the best way I can describe it, because it's that same shape. If that's the case, then any magnesium fertilizer epsom salts does have a lot of magnesium in it would help. But if a plant already has all the magnesium it needs. Giving it more isn't going to help.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, all right, So is there any fertilize out there that you, you know, much to think of that's beneficial.
Speaker 6: In general for fig trees. For fig trees, I'd just use my lawn fertilizer on them. It just a good lawn fertilizer because you're already buying it, you know, for a long and you just use it on those big trees and they'll be fine. You know, if you had a soil test and it said, hey, you're low and I don't know potassium or some other thing, it may be that you would shift a little bit. But in general, figs are pretty good. If you just use a standard kind of fertilizer on them, they'll do just fine.
Speaker 15: Well alrighty, I appreciate you guys man, and have a blessed stake.
Speaker 6: Alright, good, thanks for the call. Appreciate appreciate that if you're looking, you know, for fertilizing. I do use lawn fertilizer on a lot of different things.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: For example, Nitrofoss has their super turf. I've been talking about it all summer because it's a slow release fertilizer. You put super turf out and you're going to get months out of that application of fertilizer because it it's designed for the nitrogen to release slowly, which is what you want. You don't want it all at once. I mean, imagine, think about yourself when you eat. Can you imagine the first thing Monday morning eating all the food you need for the week. That would be ridiculous, right, And well, sometimes we think about we're gonna put some nutrient on the ground and expect, especially something volatile like nitrogen to last for months at a time, and it doesn't. But in a slower lease form it can. And that's what that's what super turf does. But there's nothing wrong. I mean, it's made for lawns, that's the main reason we use it. But you know, if you want to use that on your fig tree, that would be just fine. It would give you a gradual feed all through the summer. There's no problem with that. Again, I'm not saying it's made for fruit, but still it works. It does, and you can find you're going to find it where you find other nitrofoss products. Hide and feed hiding and feed up on Studient Airline. They carry it up there. I think you can also find it at Bearings Hardware, both the one on Bissinet and the one out on West Timer. It's easy to find Plantation Ace Hardware. Another place. Adam Richmond Rosenberg carries nitrofoss products like Superturf. By the way, that's a silver silver bag if you're going by bag color, which makes it really easy easy to identify. I've mentioned before that you know gardening in fact, first thing this morning, first thing this morning, I was talking about gardening being a a h that we grow into and we learn and we change things, and it's just it's enjoyable and you can do that yourself, but you can also hire somebody to do it. And Pierscapes peerscapes dot com is the website. They can take care of everything for you, from design to hardscapes, to fixing irrigation to landscape lighting, to quarterly maintenance, trimming, weeding, fertilizing, checking the irrigation, doing seasonal color changes, making sure the mulch is kept up. They can keep those flowerbeds looking really good. So maybe you don't want anything added, you just want it maintained. Well, they can do that too, Pierscapes dot com two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty. I'll be right back. Hey, Welcome back to Guardline folks. On what is gonna be a nice Saturday. I'm looking forward to getting out and getting some things done after the show today. For those of you who you know, I don't know if how you listen to garden I'm always curious that you know, are people listening on the radio or they're listening on an app that they're listening on their computer. And there's a lot of ways you can listen to garden Line. One of the ways I think makes a lot of sense is to get a radio app like the iHeartMedia app. It's free and you can just put in garden Line on there and you can listen to past shows a podcast. Once I finish a show, they put it online so that you can listen, re listen if you missed the show for the first time listen, and you can also listen live on that app. And so you know, if I were not in here in front of a microphone talking to you. Once you get a little sunlight outside, I'm going to be outside getting some gardening done.
Speaker 1: This.
Speaker 6: Take my phone, turn it upside down and listen to the garden line while I'm working in the yard, because this is the season where we like to get that stuff done early in the day, right unless you just enjoy a sauna sweating outside. By the way, fall is coming. Fall is coming, and when fall gets here, there is a lot going on. So now would be a good time to build your soil. Whatever you're going to do to build your soil, get it done now. Maybe you want to plant broccoli this fall, or maybe you're looking forward to planting some cool season flowers like between our pansies. Well, build the soil now, because whenever the soil is not wet, or when it's moist not soggy wet, is a great time to mix in organic matter and make it better to bring in mixes and stuff. Then when planting season occurs, even if it's rainy and wet, you're ready to go. What did they say, make hay while the sunshines, right, Well, make garden beds while the sunshines while it's not rainy and things. That's just a little tip for you to think about. We've been talking about fertilizers and you know, we were discussing magnesium with the previous collar and I mentioned it had a little Christmas tree shape in the center, and it was a secondary nutrient. You know, we have primaries. It's nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium. Those three, the three numbers on a fertilizer big are primary nutrients, and all primary means is not they're more important, it's that they're needed in more quantity than other nutrients. There's twenty something nutrients that are all essential. They're all important, they're all essential. The secondary group would include things like magnesium and calcium for example. Those are secondary nutrients. Then we have the trace minerals, the ones that are in azumite. I've talked about asmite before. Those be things like molybdenum, manganese, copper, zinc, iron. Those are trace minerals. And we put the azamite out on our soil to build up the trace mineral content, and a soil test will tell you exactly where you are on all the different nutrients. And I always recommend starting with the soil test because that way you fertilize intelligently based on your soil. You know your soil and your neighbor's soil can be different, even though originally they're probably the same type of soil there, but they've been fertilized and amended in things, so the nutrient levels aren't the same. And soil tests a good way to do it. But as mite is those trace minerals, and generally I'll say just you know, once a year, do an as and mite application to your lawn to provide a bank account there. You know, those trace minerals don't make the grass grow. You know, nitrogen pushes new growth. That's pushes is not a good word, but it it basically, it stimulates the new growth. But these trade minerals they're not going to do that. But to support new growth, you have to have them. And so think of it as a bank account. You put the money in the bank account so when you need it you can make a withdrawal. That's what asamite is doing for your soil. It's putting trace minerals in the bank account. You can go to asimite Texas dot com find out more about it, and it's widely available. It's all over the place. It's much if I talk about some feed store, garden center, ACE hardware stores, you know Southwest fertilized all those places, or you're going to be able to get asamite there. They are set up to do just that. But soil building while the sunshines. That is something to remember. And I know you know, when you're having temperatures that are forecasts to be really hot outside, it's kind of hard to get excited about going to get soil or bringing soil in and going through all the amendments and whatnot. But this is a time to do it. Get it done in the early morning. You can take you can take a better part of a week just working just a little bit in the mornings to get those those things done, because then later you are going to have success. Remember it all begins in the soil, brown stuff before green stuff, and what that means is decomposed organic matter and fertilizers in the soil to create the best possible soil condition you can get. That's it I'm talking about. As mit Ace Hardware stores is a great place to get anything you hear me talk about here on Guardline. The fertilizers, including as might the micro nutrient or trace mineral application. If you have pests and diseases and weeds go to ACE Hardware. They've got it. They carry it all there, and you know, we've got forty of them in the Greater Houston areas. So close your eyes and throw a rock and you're probably going to get an ACE Hardware store. There's the minium around here. But seriously, you can go online to ACE Hardware dot com. That's the website Ace Hardware dot Com and find the store locator and you get a little map with the red dots all over it, and you can find every Ace Hardware store around you. Maybe you're you know, you're out visiting family and some other outside the Greater Houston area, you can find the ACE Hardware store near you. That I mean, they're everywhere, and they carry all the things we're talking about. Especially our Houston group. Those stores around here, we work together, and you know, so that I don't just start naming some product that they've never heard of. They are going to carry the things that I talk about on Guarden Line, and that's important. It's a one stop shop. And you know when you go onto ACE, you're gonna have You're gonna have everything else you could possibly need for setting up that beautiful area. You know, barbecue pits. It's still barbecue season, and hey, here comes football season, and what do we do. We have to put some burgers and hot dogs on the grill. Well, Ace Hardware can get you set up with grills, including grills on steroids like the Big Green Egg and the Traeger grills and the Weber. Weber's a great brand of grill and all the supplies that you need. Of course, I love outside to have those little strings of lights that create the ambiance.
Speaker 16: You know.
Speaker 6: I call them beer garden lights because you know that kind of gives you that outdoor setting under the trees, you know, kind of picture. Stringing some of those around outside just creates a beautiful ambiance. We start to get a little cooler weather and the little more pleasant to be outside late in the day, and you need to be set up. And that's just one of the things.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: ACE is the place. What do you need? Ace is a place They're going to have it. That is kind of nice to know. Alrighty, well, it looks like we're about to have to put this hour in the books. I believe I'm running out of time on it. Appreciate you staying with us through the first hour. We're going to be back for a second hour. Got planning more things to talk about. I got a few things I want to tell you about today as we get through the show. It's always a good time. I'm going into a break if you want to give us a call, if you're even to be right up on the boards there when we come back. Seven to one three two one two k t R seven to one three two one two k t R H. I want to remind you that if you're interested in the second annual Strawberry Jamboree and Lake Jackson, Texas, you're going to have a day full of speakers. You know, October is the best time to blent strawberries down here in our area. And if you go to this, it's September twenty first, from eight to noon, so all morning, September twenty first, Lake Jackson Civic Center. Want more information, here's a phone number nine seven nine eight six four fifteen fifty eight. Nine seven nine eight six four fifteen fifty eight are called the Brazoria County Extension Officebus taken Welcome back, Welcome back to Guardline. Good have you with us today. We've got plenty things to talk about today. If you'd like to give us a call, if you have a question or want a plan identified or whatever. The question is seven one three two one two kt r H. Seven one three two one two kt r H. It's as simple as that. I'd be glad to help you have a I like to put it this way. We want you to have a more bountiful garden and a more beautiful landscape. That's kind of a goal here on garden Line to guide you in the right direction. And if I can just rant for a minute, I just we allow me just a real quick rant here. Social media is not the place you need to get all your gardening information unless you really know the source. Unless you really know the source here. Here's why. What I find is that when you go on social media, anybody who has a computer can be an expert. And you see stuff. There's several categories. There's stuff that is just clickbait and it's a waste of your time. You know, put beer on your lawn. That was an old one, used to be real popular, and if it's weird, it's going to be popular. The second category are people that kind of know what they're talking about, but not really and so you know, you can start with the truth and end up in a lie. Okay, that because it's been or it's applied in a way that it doesn't apply, or you know, anything like that. That's that's the second category is like, Okay, I know why you're saying that, but what you're saying is wrong, or it's wrong for the Houston, Texas area, or it's wrong for a different version of the planet you're talking about or whatever. That's the second hutter. And then there are people that just wing it. And I'm always amazed when I see things posted and someone says, oh, what bug is this? And these people are just throwing out all these answers, and it's like, what where do you even come up with that? It's good to I've had to learn this. It's good to know when to keep your mouth shut right and just not be the expert out there. But that's social media for you. And so I always cringe at it, and I can. Boy, I wish we had a slide show I could put up right now for you to see of all the examples. A cluster of tomatoes where one tomato is primary blue and another one is primary red, and another one is primary purple. I mean not Cherokee purple tomato. I'm talking about purple tomato and another one is yellow and they're all on the same cluster. That doesn't happen. It's a lie. And they're selling seeds for this, and you know people are going to buy it. It's like, Oh, wouldn't they be cool to have that plant? Don't do it, don't believe it. It's just does that mean there's no truth on social But of course not. Of course not. Guardline has a Facebook page. I mean, so I'm there and I have an Instagram to you, but it's just saying that in general, it's it almost seems like the people that most don't know what they're talking about have the loudest boys, or at least they're they're ubiquitous and everywhere, and that that's just not a good a good way to get good gardening advice. You have a number of options. We've got garden Line Radio, we have got your local county Agrolife Extension office. Where in the greater Houston area you got, like I mek six different horticulturists. There's one in Montgomery County, Brises County, Harris County, Fort benk County, Brazoria County, Galveston County, Orange, out in Orange out there? Who am I leaving out? Don't want to leave anybody out. But anyway, there's a lot of horticulturists done here in the greater scenario too. There's way garden centers, the mom and pops, the independent garden centers. You go in there with your your picture or your question, or maybe you saw something on social media, you know, take it in on your phone and show it to them and say is this true? And just wait a minute, because it's gonna they're gonna have to get up off the floor where they were rolling around laughing. Answer your question, but seriously, don't don't be fooled by all that stuff. All right, Well that was my little soapbox. Thank you for allowing that to Hope you didn't turn off the radio. Uh A word of the wise, though, I'm telling you, what did Pt. Barnum say there's a sucker born every minute? Yeah, don't be that one when it comes to gardening. Uh, Martin Spoon Moore. Someone is asking me the other day whould I recommend for? And I can you know, I'm not going to finish the question, but it was a tree question and I just set Affordable Tree Service Martin spoon Moore. It's as simple as that. You need somebody that knows what they're talking about to deal with your trees. When someone shows up on your property with a chainsaw or any kind of saw and they don't know what they're doing, they can do damage that never gets fixed. Once you turn a big beautiful tree into a hat rack or some other version of that, it'll never be the same. I mean, and it's you gotta you gotta have somebody who knows what they're talking about. That's Martin spoon Moore an affordable tree. You can go to the website aff Tree Service dot com a fftree Service dot com, or you could just give him a call. Give Martin a call at seven one three, six nine nine twenty six sixty three. You know you should always listen to Garden Line with a pen and paper around, because I'm gonna give out websites and brand names and products and plant names and things that you want to write down. So hopefully you've grabbed it by now here. It goes again seven to one three six nine nine two six six three Affordable Tree Service. Uh, get ready for storms. When when storms hit, if a tree is properly pruned, it's less likely. Doesn't mean it guarantees you want have damage, but it's less likely to have damage. Have them properly proved, Have your trees trained right, anything you need done around a tree, trees living the roots. You put a trench by a tree and you have cut a huge section of the roots off. Call Martin first, how do we go about this? Have him come out. He charges for a consultation to come out. If you hire him to do some work. That consultation fee goes into the price of what you hired him to do. But have him come out and take a look at it before you make a mistake that you're gonna definitely regret later. It always I cringe driving around town and seeing the kinds of damage that had been done to trees, because I know, you know, so one the other day took a picture of it and it was like, that tree, just go ahead and take it out. It's over. It's over. I don't know, you know what kind of two jerks on a chainsaw tree service drove by. You know you own a pickup and and a chainsaw. You can call yourself a tree service. Anyway you get the idea. Well, let's take a little break here. I'll be right back. The number if you'd like to call in seven one three two one two KTR eight. Then if you would like to ask a gardening question, you can give me a call seven one three two one two k t R eight seven one three two one two k t R h nightro fives has a product called Sweet Green, and I've talked about it before. Here here's the thing that I think is really cool about sweet Green. Sweet Green is a molasses based product. That's where that's what it began with is molasses, and molasses is basically a bunch of carbon. Sugars are basically long chains of carbon, and UH, microbs need that, especially some of the beneficial backter we're talking about. That source of carbon is very important for them in order for them to proliferate and grow, and Sweet Green does just that. Organic gardeners have known for a long time that molasses can be beneficial for the plants. There's products that are just molasses that you put out. Sweet Green is eleven percent nitrogen fertilizer for your lawn and it releases those nutrients pretty quickly into the soil where microbes then do their work and the plant roots get access to that nitrogen that they want. Well, sweet green can be applied. It's about a ten or eleven percent nitrogen. So you put about let's see, ten pounds per thousand square feet. But right now, how I would recommend you use it. Listen to me here please, as I would put half of it down now, and then I'd weigh about a month and put another the other half of it down, so about five pounds now, about five pounds about a month, and kind of spread that out a little bit over time. After that we're going to be you know, it's really time to be doing our fall fertilization here, so you can go ahead and follow my schedule. And by the way, if you haven't seen my fertilizing schedule online, it's at Gardening with Skip. There's a schedule for mowing, watering, and fertilizing. That's the how to take care of your lawn schedule. Then there's a schedule for insects, pest diseases, weeds, all those kind of things, the things that want to attack our lawn or infest our lawn. That's a different schedule. Both are free. They're both there and if you look at them you'll see when we do fertilizing and the different products that I think will do a super job for you. So sweet Green from nitrofoss it smells wonderful. I like to kind of half tongue in cheeks say it smells so good you want to throw a bag in the back of your car and drive around the Loop in Houston one more time, just to enjoy the fragrance on the way home. Hey, where do you get sweet green? Well, you're gonna get it in Channa Forest Adam Richmond Rosenberg Growers outlet up and Willis carries it as well as RCW Nursery on Tomball Parkway right where it comes into built Way eight. Sweet Green. Our phone number is seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two and two five eight seven four if you would like to give us a call. I'm a broken record on garden line about preparing the soil.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 6: It's because I know that that is the single most important thing you do to have successive plants, single most important thing that you do well. How do you do that well? One of the basic ways we do that is we put decomposed organic matter into the soil to create better structure, to improve internal drainage, Water drains down through the soil to improve aeration, Oxygen gets down deeper for a deeper, more resilient root system. All of that. And the place that's been doing this longer than about anybody is Nature's Way Resources. John Ferguson Ian Ferguson out there at Nature's Way, uh for a long time now, Nature's Way has been producing quality materials I'm talking about. You hear me talk about rose soil. Well, Nature's Way is where rose soil was born. You hear me talk about leath Moore composts for a lot of things, including top dressing a lot. Nature's Way is where that was born. They've been long. John is a walking encyclopedia and has been for a long time of all things soil. And all you need to do is head out there there on Sherwood Circle up as you're going up Interstate forty five where fourteen eighty eight comes in from Magnolia, you just exit their turn right instead of turning left toward Magnoia, turn right, go across the tracks that sherwood. Circle back in there, and that will be Nature's way. Take a truck, take a trailer, call them to make have them deliver it for you. Go buy and pick up bags of it, bags of composts, bags of these different soil mixes, bags of mulches to go on top of the soil surface. But here's something you need to do. You need to tell them that you heard about it on garden Line. All of these products, all these soil based products are on a special if you will a really good special if you will tell them that you heard about it on garden Line. So don't forget that. Make sure and mention that when you talk to them. Here's the phone number if you just want to give them a call. Nine three six three two one sixty nine ninety nine three six three two one sixty nine ninety Right now is the time to get your soil ready because if you're gonna plant herbs this fall, perennials this fall, woody ornamental shrubs, trees, vines, if you're gonna plant vegetables, flowers, whatever it is, do the bed prep now. And Nature's way resources helps you do the bad prep so that when it's time to plant it doesn't matter if it's been raining for three days. You can get right out in there and get your plant in the ground because you've prepared good soil using nature's way resources products. I think about this a lot. I always think about things that are hard to convince people of. For example, fall planting in spring. Everyone's a gardener. Everybody wants to be a gardener in spring. And when it comes to planting, though, the best season of the year for planting is in the fall. That means it's the only season we can plant twelve months out of the year here. But if you plant in the fall, let's say October November, for example, the plant has all winter when there's essentially no demands on it at all to speak of, to get that root system growing out of what was the cylinder roots and the container into the soil around it. So when next June comes, or when it may, when summer begins here in our area, when it heats up, that plant has a better root system than one that was planted in the spring. It's just a way to get there faster and easier. The recommend that you do your soil prep and you're planting, get that done in the fall. It's the best season of the year to put these things in. And I wish I could convince you that, just like trying to convince people to buy brown stuff when they're staring at all these plants with big, beautiful blooms on them, Well, just make a new Year's resolution and at the end of summer, and that resolution is if I buy a plant, I'm going to buy something to make the soil better. With that plant, go and fix the soil better, but always better. It's not a one and off. You're always improving it, fertilizing, compost, things like that. And then when you put that plant in, it's going to thrive. And you know, you go to a place like Plants for All Seasons, which is on let's see Tumball Parkway Highway FM two forty nine. Going up the Tamba Plants for All Seasons, you exit Luetta and it's just path past Luetta, just north of Luetta on two forty nine Tumbo Parkway. They have tons of plants there, but they also have all these soil products there. I mean, when you walk through the you know the stories you're heading toward checkout, they just all around you. There's soils there's fertilizers, there's everything you need to make the brown stuff right. Don't just grab a plant and head to the car. Grab something else to so that that plant is happy. If it's happy, it'll make you happy with blooms and fruit and whatever you're wanting to get out of that plant. Plants for All Seasons is the website, by the way, is Plants for All Seasons dot com. The phone number two eight one three seven six, sixteen forty six. Listen, when you go into there and you bring that stuff home, the plants and the soils and things, your brown thumb is going to get really green. And they also are experts on helping you with any kind of question that you might have for success with your plant. We're going to head now to Cyprus, Texas and talk to Ed. Hello, Ed, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming you receive the photos I sent you.
Speaker 6: Uh, let's see here. I probably did find them. Tell me what the photos were of.
Speaker 2: Okay, there were of some mullygrass that got a why yes, yes, growth on the or I.
Speaker 6: Don't know what it is, absolutely yes, I did, okay, So Ed, there were two things. There was the wild morning glory was the vining beautiful flowered vining weed growing in there, and you need to follow it to where it comes out of the ground. There's gonna be a tuber underground that you can just dig that up, or you can apply a product to it. But you want to be real careful because the morning glory crawls all over your desirable plants, so if you spray it, you're probably gonna hurt the desire marble plants too. But that is one morning glory. The white stuff is a meai bug UH, and it's probably the mealy grass meaie bug. It attacks a lot of different types of mealy grass and other ornamental grasses too. By the way, UH and meali bugs are very difficult to get rid of. They hide and so products don't get to them. They have that protective fluffy coating, so your spray doesn't get down there to the bug. You know, it gets caught up on the outside. So what I would recommend is, if you've got those in there, which you do in the pictures, I would cut that grass all the way back down to the ground and I would get all the debris out of there, put it in a trash sack and get it off the property because it's going to be full of meai bugs. Your grass is going to send new growth up out of the base the crown of the plant. And then I would use a product that's a systemic insecticide to get in the plumbing of the plant so when those mealy bugs suck juices, they get the poison. It's like your that becomes a bait station. Now with a lot of plants, I don't recommend the systemics because we got bees coming to the flowers. With newly grass, we don't have that concern, So I would use There is one called Immido Cloak Bred some welcome back. Good to have you here with us on Guardenline. Hey, we're looking forward to talking to you about the things that are of interest to you. We also direct you to good sources for the various supplies that you need for your success, whether it's lawns, gardens, tree shrubs, vegetables all that.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 6: Leake City Feed down in Leake City, Texas is a great source. We love feed stores here on Garden Line and down at Leake City. You're going to find all the fertilizers I talk about. You're going to find the products to help you have success, whether it's a fertilizer, controlling pests, diseases, weeds. All of that League City feed is on Highway three, just a few blocks of Highway ninety six in League City, Texas. All of those communities down there. I mean, I'm talking about not just a League City, but Santa Fe, Clear Lake City, Elkaemeno, Reale, San Leone, Lamark, Webster Bay Club, all of those communities. This is your hometown feed store and they're open Monday through Saturday from nine to six. Are closed tomorrow, closed on Sunday, but with the nine to six. If you're at work all day and you're swinging by on the way home, just stop in and grab what you need. It's that old time service. They carry the sacks out for you and they carry everything that I talk about on guardline, as well as quality pet food supplies for your backyard chickens, whatever you need. Here's a phone number two eight one three three two sixteen twelve two eight one three three two sixteen twelve to get to get a hold of the folks there at Leak City feet I'm going to head now out to Cypress again. I believe we're going to talk to Ed.
Speaker 10: Hello, Ed, Yes, so.
Speaker 2: Can you spell that systemic and sect the side again for the.
Speaker 6: Multigrass, Yes, it's I AM I.
Speaker 10: D O.
Speaker 1: C L O.
Speaker 6: P R I D Okay, got no prid. And if you come even work close to that and you say this is a systemic insecticide, they're gonna be able to They're gonna be able to tell you just if you just see the I M I D O part. That's the only in sex side I know that begins with those letters.
Speaker 2: Okay. Then one other thing, I've got armadillos. How do I control those things?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 6: They they're bumbling little things and they tend to come along and like if you've got a privacy fence or the side of the house, they kind of bounce along that and then go out into your yard and do the little digging. A live have a heart trap is a good way to do it, you know, one of those live capture traps. But you almost have to funnel them into it, like a couple of boards at the mouth of the trap pointing outward in a V shape. You see what I'm saying. So as there are bumbling, they're they're not smart, and so you kind of force them in. Here's a little trick that wildlife management specialists told me a long time ago works, and that is to get elbow macaroni, little elbow pasta and boil it in a beef boo yon. I guess that makes it taste like a tasty grub or something. I don't know. And you can don't put too many of them. You don't want to fill up the armadilla, but you can kind of put one and then a little further forward put another one, and you can kind of lead them into the trap that way, and once they get in there, then it closes behind them and you have to relocate them somewhere else. All right, thank you, all right, Okay, I was going to offer you recipes for armadilla, but I figured that probably wouldn't go over it. All right, take care of it. Thanks for the call. Appreciate that. Yeah, I'm told people eat those things. I cannot imagine that. That just doesn't work for me. Mental block. I'll try a lot of things. I'll try a lot of new things, but that one I'm gonna die domb on that impossum. You know, you can call me if you if you love either of those, to tell me why that's wonderful, But I'm not gonna go there. All right, Uh, we've had storms, this sprank, we had one heck of a one that put power out for a very long time. Then comes hurricane Barrel power out for a very long time. People are interested in getting a generator, and you by generators a lot of places, and you know, Generak is an outstanding brand. But I'm telling you, if you're going to get a generator, please listen to this. Quality Home Products of Texas is where you need to get it. They carry Generac as well as another brand of generators, but Quality Home it's all about the way that you're treated and the service you get before and after the seale. You walk in there you go, hey, I need a generator. They're not just going to be like, well here's the Cadillac, go buy this one. They're going to ask you what do you need it for? I mean, are you just trying to keep a refrigerator going? Is it a whole house that you need to get going?
Speaker 10: What is it that you need?
Speaker 6: And they designed that make sure you get the right generator. They come out and they pour a pad, not bringing in a little cheap pad that's going to crack that The generator comes all the way out to the edge of the pad, so you hit it with the lawnmar Now they have a they pour a bigger pad than the generator so that it protects that valuable piece of equipment. And they go through all the hoops of the permissions that you got to go through to get all that done, and the city codes and whatever. They do all that. All their technicians are in house. They don't have to subcontract out to some electrician to come in or some other technician to come in. They have those in house, and then after you they're there for service after the sale. That's why they've won the Pinnacle Award, the Better Business Bureau's most prestigious award for customer service eight times eight times over five fourteen thousand, five star reviews. Last time I looked. It's a family owned business since nineteen eighty nine, right here in Houston, Texas. Quality tx dot com. That's the website. Quality tx dot COM's really good website. You can learn a lot, but you need to call them. Ay it's seven to one three quality, seven one three quality and find out they have financing options right now. If you trade in an old portable generator, any brand or size, five hundred dollars off of what you are about to purchase, so you can't go wrong. And if you're going to get one, talk to the folks at Quality. They know what they're talking about and they do take care of their customers. You're listening to Gardenline and we're here to answer any kinds of gardening questions that you may run across, for example, tables, lawns, weeds, trees, shrubs, whatever your questions are, just give us a call. Seven one three two one two kt R H seven one three two one two k t R H.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: I was talking with Joey from Enchanted Gardens out there in the Richmond area. In fact, Channed Gardens is actually on the north side of Richmond, that Katie Fullscher side of Richmond. They're out there on FM three point fifty nine. I was visiting with Joey a little bit over at the Texas Nursery and Landscape Association show in San Antonio. That was a little bit a week or so ago. Uh, and uh, you know, I always like going out to in Channa Gardens because it is such a wonderful place. It is enchanting number one. You get there and it's like, oh my gosh, this is big, and there's there is every kind of plant you can imagine, and the best varieties, new varieties, things you've never tried. Do you want to bring in hummingbirds? They've got every kind of hummingbird thing you can imagine there at Enchanted Gardens and Richmond. They have beautiful pottery out there, gorgeous pottery. And I think pottery is an investment. And if you buy cheap pottery, you get what you paid for, get you a quality piece. You have to buy it all at once, but gets you some quality pieces of pottery. And there's pretty is the plant you put in them out and Enchanted, you're going to find things that aren't so common, like, for example, creeping wiregrass or wire vine. Excuse me, creeping war vine. It is a really cool little groundcover that you don't just find everywhere. They've got that. Do you want to bring in butterflies? They have every kind of butterfly plant you can imagine there at Enchanted Gardens and much much much more beautiful garden. Blame everything all of the above at Enchanted Gardens. Here's the website, Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. Go out there, but take some friends when you go, because this is a destination place to visit. I'll be right back. Hey, welcome back in. Good to have you with us. Good to have you with us here on garden Line. Looking forward to visiting with you about the things that are most interest to you. I did a post to our Facebook page the other day where I'm talking about Medina has to Grow supergrow Plus. Now Medina products, you've been familiar with them since the nineteen fifties. I believe they may even go further, but I believe that's when they begin, in other words, a long time, and they've been on garden Line for just about that minut of time too. Medina has to grow, there's the has to grow lawn, and there's the has to grow supergrow Plus for lawns. Also, the supergrol Plus has a sixteen zero two fertilizer content. A lot of things have fertilizer content in them. This one also includes a keylated form of iron. Now, when your long grass, when you're Saint Austine starts a yellow that's an iron deficiency and it can be due to various reasons. But by applying the supergril Plus, which by the way, it's a quart bottle, hooks up the garden hose, covers four thousand square feet. It takes about ten minutes to do it. By applying that, you're getting the folier nutrient on the plant, the grass plant, the grass blades, but you're also getting it done in the soil and it really helps with that iron chlorosis. It also has molasses. I was talking earlier about molasses and why we like that. It also has humic acid for example, and seaweed extract that is just a concoction. Now it's made. You know, it's promoted as a lawn fertilizer, but you can use it on a lot of other plants and gain the same kinds of benefits from it. Widely available like all Medina products here in the Greater Houston area. We're going to go now to the phones. I'm going to head out to Kingwood and talk to Bill. Hey, Bill, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 8: I have a question about box woods. The Okay, the problem we have is we have boxwoods around our and occasionally one of them will just turn bright yellow and dye. And I heard from rumor that there is some kind of fungus or something that invades the soil that will kill the box woods, and then if you plant another one in that location, it'll die too. So you probably know the whole story. So would you please at number eight for me?
Speaker 6: Yeah, boxes have several problems. Two of them are root problems. One is a vascular wilt. It plugs the plumbing of the plant and so it's like you cut the branch off and threw it on the sidewalk. The results are fast and they look like that, like what you're describing. There's not a spray or a drench for Verticillium or Fusarium, which are two common vascular wilts. Boxes. Secondly, in the soil get nematodes on the roots, especially in a sandy soil, but it can occur in other types and those make it less and less efficient. So it just looks like it needs to be watered and fertilized as it declined down. Typically that doesn't kill it. Boxwoods are pretty tough and they're able to survive with the nematods, but they don't look good then there's a boxwood blight, which is a disease and it can cause the complete death. And so I can't tell you what you're seeing on this one. You would have to have somebody take a look at it. One thing you can do is if you have one that's dyed the plant is it, but right before it's completely gone, while there's still some green in it, you can take a knife and slice the trunk. Slice into the trunk vertically like down the direction of the trunk, and underneath the outer bark you'll see some brown staining. The way I describe it as it's almost like a cigarette filter, you know, that has that tar staining in it. That's what it looks like. That's an indication of the soil born fungus problem. Now the blight itself, that's going to be something that's attacking above ground, and it just is what it is. Occasionally you get broken branches. Occasionally, had we just had a row coal winter, I would suspect coal damage splits to the trunk as well, which can happen. But so in other words, the answer to your question could be several answers, but those are some ways you can try to just tell between the two nematodes. You wash some soil up with a good strong blast of water, and the roots will have little bumps and knots on them, almost like an ugly sing string of pearls or the michelin Man kind of look.
Speaker 8: So, all right, those are a systemic thunge side that would treat one of those conditions.
Speaker 6: No, the systemics, there's just not one that's going to do a good job on verticillium and fusarium. It's a matter of just pulling them out, you know, And I know that is a horrible answer for someone who's spent money on a bunch of boxwoods. But they'll gradually work its way from one to the other across the plant. You'll see more and more because again, think of it as all those root tips are like the opening of straws that bring in water, and the straws take the water all the way up to the top. It affects some and then it affects others, and as it affects them, everything that those roots are feeding starts to turn ten and die. And if it's the blight again, you would need you can take a sample of a box would and that's probably the best thing to do. Get one that is dying but not dead. The plant clinic at an m will do diagnosis, but they can't do autopsies. So get one that's sick and you can see this one's going out. Pull it up, shake some soil off the roots, get some good roots with it, put it in a bag box. You can drive it up to the clinic. That's probably the easiest way. It's about an hour and fifteen minutes up the road and the clinic address is plant Clinic, Plant Clinic dot t a m U dot e edu, plant Clinic dot HAMMOU dot edu. And that way you can have them diagnosed. It's not that expensive to do. And if you're looking at a lot of boxwoods, it's cost effective to do that because then you know what the next step to take is instead of meet giving you all the possibilities.
Speaker 8: Okay, so that's just another example of nature developing a new disease that we can't control. Basically, well, well, some of.
Speaker 6: These have been around, Yeah, yeah, well that's yeah, that's what nature is. Hey, Bill, thanks, I'm gonna have to I'm gonna have to run, but thank you very much for that call. I appreciate that if you live up in the Conroe area, the Lake Conroe area, the Montgomery area. Ana Plants and Produce is a garden center that you've got to visit. It's your hometown garden center up there, that whole Lake Conroy area. A and A Plants and Produce. Right now, they have a hot summer sale going on any plant forty percent off, thirty percent off all their metal and pottery. And if you've ever been to Ana, you know they got tons of cool blaying up there. Metal and pottery, thirty percent off. Ana Plants and Produce on Highway one oh five on the east side of Montgomery, Texas. You got to go visit if you haven't been there, because this is a really cool place and there's always something new coming in at Anta Plants and Produce, And boy do they ever have a great selection of all the fertilizers I talk about, I including soil amendments as well. Let's see here, I'm going to Greg and Trinity. Greg, we're gonna hear music in a minute, and if we have to quit talking, I'll finish with you after the break. But how can I help?
Speaker 13: Great?
Speaker 1: Got a problem?
Speaker 13: Good morning?
Speaker 15: Hey, I planted some hybrid poplars.
Speaker 13: Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 15: Okay, I planned some hybrid poplars a few years back. Quick growing tree. They do about eighty eight a year. Uh, And I get the staff plan FuMB them off their root lines. They run a real shallow root line. And when I took those out, they grew pretty well in a bucket, and then I transplant them. My question to you, he is, should I plant them this year? They're about three feet tall in the buckets right now?
Speaker 6: All right, let me let me get there.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 6: Now, you want to plan them this fall in November? Pull them out of the bucket. You're not going to want to do this, but cut the roots that are circling in the pot. Put them in the ground in November and they'll have the best chance possible. Plan them if the same depth they were. Don't put anything in the planning hole, just the SOI you dug it out. This is the end of our segment. I'm gonna go ahead and put you on hold, but if you need to stick around, I'll be back. Welcome back. So good to have you with us. Glad you're listening in today. I'm going to take you about thirty minutes here and I'm bringing a special guest in that is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to things related to monarch, butterflies and milkweed. And I say that because, well, I'm talking about Howard and Amarov. Howard and I have been I guess, penpals in a sense in terms of, you know, communicating through our emails and whatnot over a number of years now. Howard's a certified master gardener text here in Texas with an advanced entomology certification. So when he's not research and Howard's out in his garden, his yard, the laboratory, right, he, like me, is forever curious, wanting to learn more and learn a good information. As part of his entomology research, Howard has read a number of peer reviewed papers, recent peer reviewed papers about monarch butterflies, about their migration, and about this plant, tropical milkweed that you've heard a lot about and you hear people say, don't plant it. You hear people say cut it down and the end of the year and it carries some disease of the monarchs. We're going to get to the bottom of all that here. I'm holding calls during this next thirty minutes. Once you get past about eight thirty or so, we'll be taking calls again. But first of all, I want to go to the phones and welcome Howard to garden Line. Hey, Howard, it's good to talk to you again. Welcome to garden Line Radio.
Speaker 10: Oh, thank you for having me on SKIP.
Speaker 6: Well, looking, I'm really looking forward to this. You know, I've picked your brain before on this issue. But we're talking about a disease that affects monarchs. Can you can you go a little bit into exactly what is that disease and how does it affect monarch butterflies?
Speaker 10: Okay, Well, the disease is Afrio sistus electroscira, and from here forward we will call that OE. It's acronym.
Speaker 6: I think everybody's thanking us for having a brief a brief oe for that long word.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I understand. And it is a It's a parasite that commonly builds up primarily on tropical milk weed, and it gets consumed with when the moner caterpillars consume the leaves, they ingest this oe and it starts this replication cycle that results in when they come out of their chrysalis, they have these spores on their wings, and then when they fly off, they will spread those spores to other milkweed, and that could include native milk weeds.
Speaker 6: I see. It's like coronavirus spreading around the country. Huh, from one person to another.
Speaker 10: Yeah, there with people who are not isolating or you know, and when they're sick. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Okay, So you mentioned that they come out, but a lot of times doesn't it affect the development of the butterfly in the crysalis itself.
Speaker 10: It does in many of the monarchs emerged deformed and they can't fly, but there is a small percentage that remain healthy enough to fly off and spread these bores onto other milk weeds.
Speaker 6: Wow, okay, well, so actually I guess that I'm not making it is a good thing for the sake of all the monarch population. But that's correct. Well, why are we talking about tropical milk weed, because you know, that's the one you see most in garden centers. I know a lot of people have promoted the milkweeds, but it's basically the tropical that everybody's planting. And what's wrong with that plant? Why aren't other milk weeds just as bad as that?
Speaker 10: Well, tropical milk weed has it's well adapted to our climate, so it stays evergreen. And that's the challenge because plants like tropical milkweed that keep their leaves all and into the fall will continue to have those spores on their leaves. Native milk weeds generally go dormant once or twice during the growing season, so when they do any any spores that were on those leaves fall away to the soil and disappear from this cycle. So when they push new leaves out from their roots, those leaves are clean, and if a monarch comes along and eats those leaves, then they won't get infected.
Speaker 6: I see, well that that makes a lot of sense, And I think is there some other stuff about tropical milk weed where just feeding on the planet itself, aside from the spore concern, may be an issue for the monarchs.
Speaker 10: And I'd like I like to preface this that I used to grow tropical milk weed until I read a lot of research that all pointed in the same direction from slightly different perspectives. Researchers have found that the monarchs who feed on the tropical milk weed as larvae have less effiicient metabolism and shorter and smaller wings. Now, both of these mutations make it harder to fly long distances, which damages the migration. Basically, these monarchs are less likely to complete the migration. And that's really what we want to support, is that migration that's been going on for thousands of years, right.
Speaker 6: That and the fact that we would not like them to be carrying the spores around. You know, when they go back to Mexico, there's all the pursures of them in the forest, just as like solid butterflies there in the fourth Yeah, okay, so even the planet itself has some issues. You know, I've had tropical milk weed for a very long time and I love the plant, you know, for a number of different reasons, and so this is kind of interesting to put it in a spotlight here and talk about it a little bit and some of the issues that maybe people weren't aware of. That's one reason I wanted to have you on, just so people get a chance to hear a little bit more, a little bit more about that. So now, what what what is a gardener?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 6: You know, can can we do to help this issue? I know, planting the natives is important. Uh, and and there are a number of species around they're often kind of hard to find.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's that's a problem, Uh that the natives are not available at the wholesale level, so the retailers couldn't find them for sale. And there's uh this, there's a lot of people who are concerned. And one of these concerns is they're they're promoting is well, plant more milkweed.
Speaker 1: Ford.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry to interrupt. I'm sorry to have to interrupt. I'm not looking at my clock, and I got this hard break here. We're going to come right back. Stay teen, folks, We're gonna come right back to this point with Howard. I'll be right back if you will come back. I'm gonna jump right in here into the music. We want to get right back out to talking with Howard Nemoroff, Howard Numerff, Certified Master Gardner, Advanced Entomology training and we're talking about monarchs and tropical milk weed, and Howard, I kind of cut you off there in the middle of a native milkweed a spiel. We've got some great nursery Sharon Houston that really focus on native plants, and we can find a few of the natives here. They're a little bit of a challenge though. You kind of have to adjust your thinking in that. You know, they don't sit there and look pretty all year. You know, they like you said, they do their bloom and then they drop leaves, and so you may want to elaborate just a bit on that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they do, and their best planted it amongst a number of other plants. So think think a pocket prairie. Think of of a space where you have a number of native plants that work together. So when the milk weeds go dormant, it doesn't really impact your your visual appeal, and it doesn't stop the pollinators from visiting your gardens. So everything keeps rolling along and then the milk weeds will do their thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that's a that's a very good point because you know, we have our standard Saint Augustine. Half the plants in the landscape originated in Asia, you know, those kind of landscapes, and then we have the natives, and the natives it's a different look. It's a beautiful look. But I think that's a is a very very good point to make. I want to go ahead, No, go ahead, I'll come.
Speaker 10: I was just going to say that you don't really need to plant milk weeds. The research is showing that the population monoch populations and the stable for the last decade or more, and that there's enough native milk weed in the summer breeding range to maintain the population.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, skip, Okay, all right, Well, what can a gardener do to help support monarchs other than not planning the tropical milkweed? What are some things you can do to really support the monarch.
Speaker 10: Well, what we need to support here in Texas is the migration. They come through here from their Mexico overwintering site in the spring and then they come back from the north in the fall and they pass through Texas. They all pass through Texas. So what they really need is fuel. They need nectar to refuel so they can complete their migration. So a simple but powerful contribution that everybody should be able to make is to grow nectar flowers. And they could be betting plants that you can buy in spring. It could be Zenya's for example, that you buy at the stores. It could be popular natives like Greg's mist flower, or verbinas or echinaesia, the you know, purple cone flower. There's there's a lot of options that are really doable for pretty much any gardener.
Speaker 6: And then you still are attracting them to your landscape, so you get to enjoy them and you are and everything like that. That makes sense. That's just what we do with hosaft. You know, we we fuel them up so they can The fact that a hummingbird can fly across the Gulf of Mexico is still blows but we have to feel that kind of true. Yeah, I would exactly a mile out from shore, I would run out of energy and turn around.
Speaker 10: It's amazing what they can do. Yeah, and the monarchs. Remember is some of these monarchs coming from southern Canada, so they are traveling three thousand miles in the fall to get to Mexico.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Wow. And you watch a butterfly fly and it's not exactly like a homing pigeon. That's you know, like a bullet shutting past. It takes some few capes to get there. Well, it's good. You know some other good native plants that we would talk about, and I think you included this in a program I saw that you did. The latrous which is called gay feather. It's a native species. Maximilian sunflowers another one I think that you had on the list. That is one that blooms in the fall, late summer fall season, so it spreads it out. Verbinas Joe pieweed, golden rod another full blooming plant. Purple cone flowers another native plant that does well. And then you mentioned the misflower, the Greg's missflower, and another one called shrubby bone set that's another type of misflower that does well. I just want to get some names out there for people to consider.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and then when you go to these go to the gars. You know, they may have some other suggestions. But we need to remember that monarchs have been coming through here for thousands of years, so they have been finding native plants to refuel on. And so it gives us a lot of options if we just look up and find out what's native to our local area, which are our county.
Speaker 13: Or you know our.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's true. In fact, I think this you'll find this interesting.
Speaker 12: Well.
Speaker 6: One of our garden centers of Buchanan's Native Plants in the Heights of Houston, they actually have a table where it's just Harris County natives. You know, it's just natives, right, here as opposed to be in a Texas Native which is much broader range, which I think is kind of cool. Well, so, people, I.
Speaker 10: Definitely agree with that principle. Good. Yeah, No, I definitely think you try and find county label level natives. And I've heard about Buchanans. I don't live there, but I know a number of people gardeners that really think highly of the set they're promoting the local natives.
Speaker 6: Well, when you're ready to jump in the car and head this way, I have to give you a list. We have more of these centers that I've ever seen here, you know. I know over in Austin area and in San Antonio there's a lot of great garden centers, but oh my gosh, North, South, East West ones that you go into and it's like, why can't I have something like this where I live, you know, because they're they're interesting and cool. Well, okay, so now I'm gonna I kind of, I guess a little bit put you on the spot in that. Uh And we talked about this before, but uh, I'm aware of the fact that people listening to the show, everybody's not gonna go out and pull up their their tropical milk weed. It just doesn't quite work that way.
Speaker 10: Uh uh.
Speaker 6: And while that I know for you, that's a passion and a concern for sure, for reasons of your research. If someone has a tropical milkweed plan, uh and they're just like, you know, okay, what can I do to minimize the issue, especially the issue with the disease on the plant? What what would you recommend? I know you're going to try talking and pulling it out and putting a different milk weed in bute to at least make it less of a concern.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm not a garden nazi. I'm not going to come and harass people or break in and pull out pull out their tropical milk weed. I do recommend removing it, however, best practices if if you're going to keep it. If you're going to keep.
Speaker 6: It, go ahead, I'm sorry.
Speaker 10: Oh no, it's not good in Texas to crash into somebody else's property. But anyway, if there's two times a year when you you should cut it down to the ground. Remember, tropical milk weed is a perennial, so we'll come back from the roots. So if you cut everything down to the ground in late winter, early spring, before the monarchs arrive from Mexico, they'll have fresh leaves. And if you cut it down to the ground again in late September before the monarchs arrive on their way to Mexico, you will also help the migration because research has also found that some of the females drop out of their reproductive dormant cycle to lay eggs when they find tropical milk weed. What we really want to do is we want those females to travel all the way to Mexico, where they will come back from in the spring and lay eggs as they start their natural journey north.
Speaker 6: Okay, so just to in a nutshell, you said, cut it to the ground at the end of winter, cut it to the ground again at the end of September, and that's right, I'm not correct. Okay, all right, Well, I know you you know your your your main concern is is looking toward native milkweeds and recognizing the fact that probably we do a better benefit to the monarchs by getting the flowers that fuel them. But I know, we got a lot of different versions of gardeners out there that that uh uh, you know, are going to to one degree or another change the way they garden or not. Wow, well, we got about three minutes left here.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 6: So one thing that Lincoln that I got from you is from the Native Plants Society in Texas and it's bring Back the Monarchs to Texas. And uh, of course they're going to come here whether we bring them back or not. But the article is really good and it's at the website. I'm not going to give you the whole thing to this article, but it's n P s o T dot org. So n P s o T is Native Plant Society of Texas dot o r G. And the article is bring Back the Monarchs to Texas. And it's a very very helpful article.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is.
Speaker 10: I can't remember exactly right now every detail, but they do give people a lot of good tips on how you can do it. And like you said, you have you have gardeners at different levels of knowledge and experience. So it gives people an opportunity to read up on what they can do and then figure out what works best for me and my garden that I can do.
Speaker 6: Well. And that's that is really true. And I know you you know as an aster gardener, uh and just a lifetime gardener.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: You recognize the importance of things that that we grow here, choosing things we go here, designing our landscapes appropriately, whether we're looking at water conservation or you know, taking care of our beneficial insects and all of those. There's a lot of practices. Yeah, and it all begins one garden at a time.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it does. And you made a good point, and I'd like to make make this point that what you do that that benefits other pollinators. I got a will benefit monarchs. Yeah, it'll benefit monarchs. And what benefits monarchs benefits all of our native pollinators that live here all year round.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that is true. That is absolutely the case. I Uh, I lost part of what you said my my audio uh clicked out a second there. But talking about with all the other important native pollinators and taking care of them, and there is so much that we can do in order to do that. Well, Howard, I really appreciate you taking time to come on today. It's been wonderful. I know, I'm gonna I'm gonna hear a lot about you know, the talk, the information that you provided, and one thing that I just wasn't aware of was the issue of just feeding on that plant is not, as I'm gonna say, not as nutritious, not as helpful for the butterfly development or whatever is specifically that and that that was kind of interesting as well. I'm gonna have to run to a break, but thank you again. I appreciate look forward to future corresponding with you on this and a lot of other topics as we have in the past. So thank you for being a guest on Guardline.
Speaker 10: Well thanks for having me skied.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, you you enjoyed that segment. I thought it was very informative and very helpful when it comes to, you know, our dealing with butterfly gardening and the monarchs and some of the issues that we've heard before. I've always heard bits and pieces of it, but I got a little bit bigger, bigger picture, I think in visiting with mister Nemrov, I want to remind you, or not remind you, tell you for the first time. Actually, the Montgomery County Fall Home and Outdoor Living Show is coming up. It's two weeks from today and it's over the weekend two weeks from day, September seventh and September eighth, and this is always a great show up there. In the Montgomery County area. It is at the Lone Star Convention and Expo Center and I'm going to be there on Saturday, So all of you listening up in the like Conroe area up Conroe, willis just that whole direction, come on out. I'd like to meet you. I'm going to be given a talk on fall gardening, not just vegetables, but fall gardening in general, and then I'll be answering your gardening questions. I'll be having a lot of different kinds of products, supplies and stuff. We're going to be given away some different things that I think you would be very interested in, and just there for the Q and I always like to meet the folks that listen to garden Line. That's the Montgomery County Fall Home and Outdoor Living Show September seventh and eighth at the Lone Star Convention Center and Expostcenter. Now you can find out more by going to techswood Shows dot com, Textwood, t exwod Shows, all one word dot com. I'm going to be there on Saturday, and i'll get there I believe about noon. I believe that's what I've got scheduled to show up and be there for a couple hours actually out at the show, so twelve to two. Yeah, that's correct. All right, folks, I'm going to head straight out to the phones now. No, we had some folks that have been waiting to talk. We're going to go to Cyprus and tuck to Nick. Hello, Nick, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 10: Hello.
Speaker 17: How are you?
Speaker 6: I'm well, thank you? Okay, okay, yes, sir, I just want to check in on about I have two.
Speaker 18: Texas sage bushes growing in the front yard and I'm about to cut back. Yes, I want to cut them back to give them some shape. I was curious about what time. What's the best time to do that?
Speaker 6: Before any time? Yeah, it's a it's a shrub. It's an evergreen shrub. So, I mean people share their shrubs all the time. Depending on what the goal is, you can share Texas sage. It affects its bloom. Show to do that, I mean, it doesn't mean it keeps it from blooming. It just means you've you've created a wall instead of a I when I trim my Texas sage in the past, I will go in and do what's called thinning. So if you imagine this kind of bushy plant that has never been trimmed, and you got a gangly shoot going out here on the left side, and so you go back and you cut it off where it joins another shoot. And so when you get through pruning, it doesn't look sheared. It just looks smaller. Do you see what I'm saying? And so, okay, there's two ways to do it. One is shearing, which is kind of unnatural and I don't like the results. The other is to bring things back by cutting a long shoot back to where a side shoot occurs, and you just kind of bring it into a little better shape that way. So those are your options.
Speaker 18: Okay, excellent, Thank you.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it. All right, So thanks for the call. I appreciate appreciate that very much. We're going to go now to Larry and sugar Land.
Speaker 1: Hello Larry, Hello Sarah. How are you.
Speaker 6: I'm well. I'm well. You sent me some pictures of some unhappy grass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, only the one section, the one rectangle there. The rest of my yard front and back is beautifulest and great shape. What do you think is going on?
Speaker 6: Let me tell you, yeah, let me tell you what I see. Number one, My first question is does that front area between the curb and the sidewalk get watered as efficiently as the rest of the lawn does. And that's rhetorical. You just kind of do with that as you wish. I'm to ensure that the fact that the grass looks good in the yard and bad between the curb and the sidewalk. The first thing I think of is chinchbugs. Now, chinchbugs make it look like the grass hasn't been watered. It shrivels up, it starts to die back slowly as the chinchbugs just more and more increase their population and march out into the lawn finding new grass runners to suck the juices out of. That's kind of how they work, so they almost always start in the sun next to a curb. One specific thing I noticed in your photo is that there's a couple of places where the tree branches probably tend to shade more, and the grass looks better there. So that makes me think not so much chinchbugs, but maybe the watering isn't as good, so the demands are less where they're shade. But my bottom line is my best guess is you've got chinchbugs out there, and they will cross over the sidewalk and start into the rest of the lawn. You need to part the grass, get on your hands and knees in the zone between healthy and dead. You know, once they kill grass, they move on. They won't be in dead grass, they'll be in living grass. Part it. Go online. Look at a chinchbug. What they look like. They're really tiny. They're very small. They're like an eighth of an inch long, black and white. The younger ones are kind of a bronze red color with a white stripe across their back. But once you see them. Another way to check for them, Larry, is to get some soap, like a dish soap ivory liquid kind of thing, or better than that, actually better than that is the lemon scented soaps that you wash dishes in and put it in a watering can with water. Just squirt a little soap in there, you don't need a lot, and then pour that watering can into that zone between healthy and dead where we think the chinchbugs are most feeding, and you'll see them come crawling up out of the truck. They hate that wet soapy material. It brings them crawling straight up out of there.
Speaker 1: That's another way to check Okay, now I put on bug out a couple of weeks ago, you know, with an anticipation that maybe something was going on. And you know, of course, you know, well the dead is dead.
Speaker 6: It works. Yeah, it works, it works, and so you may be that some damage was done and you've shut it down. That's why I always say check for them, because I hate to send people out with more and more pesticides when the problem doesn't need that. So you'll check that first. But that'd be my suggestion.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you've got a shot. Take it question. I'm sorry this some bug this. Uh, We've got some hibiscus in the backyard that are just doing great. Should I bet they're of course blooming all the time. Should I kept them back? And you know what, what what do I do? They're getting they're getting big.
Speaker 6: Okay, is this a tropical hibiscus shinier leaves and really beautiful colored blooms, or is this the perennial hibiscus that's got either red, pink or white blooms that dies to the ground and comes back.
Speaker 1: No, these don't don't die back. Of course we protect them, but no, they are tropical.
Speaker 6: I guess what what what color are the blooms.
Speaker 1: Oh lords, got some yellow red? Yeah? Okay, okay, got more red, pink okay.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, tropical, that's an issue. Look, I'm gonna have to hit a break here and come back. Can you hold on and we'll finish. Yeah, I'll be happy to side of bright all right, We'll be right back, folks. The number seven one three two one two five eight seven four. I'll be right back to the guardline. We're glad you're with us. Appreciate you listening in. Have you been RCW Nursery before those of you listen? You know that's the garden center. That's where Tumble Park, Wind Bilt Way eight come together. RCW Nurseries dot Com is their website. RCW Nursery dot com. Right now, they have an August sale that you need to listen to. This fifty percent off select roses. And they carry more types of roads than anybody I know. They've got certain ones that are off fifty percent and that is unbelievable. Fifteen percent off all the trees and then include citrus trees. So if you've thought about putting in a citrus, now's a good time to get it in because you wanted to settle in and establish before winter comes. Fifty percent off all Cajun hibiscus, my favorite type of hibiscus. Really, I just I love my Cajun hibiscus. And ten percent off all the shrubs. So what kind of shrubs do you need to replace in your landscape or do you want to add to your landscape. This is all part of the August Island Listen, August is almost over. Don't delay if you want to take advantage of this really really good deal. It's got to happen either this weekend or next week. And RCW Nurseries is a place to go for that and a lot of other things. What a deal, What a great time to get that done. Let's head out now. We're going to go to Larry and sugar Line. Hey Larry, we are back now, and I think you kind of had a follow up question. Could you repeat that for folks who just joined out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We've got some hibiscus in the back that are just doing great and I'm just trying to They're almost out growing, They're getting so big. When do you trim them? Their you know, blooming beautifully. Everything is super, But when do I need to trim them back? A little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can do the pretty much anytime. Being a tender species, we try to avoid pruning them after August. And here's an example. You know, you get into late September or October and you prune them back, and here comes all this fresh new growth. Pruning stimulates new growth to come out. And now this new growth, it doesn't have a chance when we get frosty, freezing wheather or whatever. It's even more susceptible than the planet itself. So I would get that done now. If you need to do some trimming back, that would just be fine. A lot of people will cut them back because they bring them into the garage or some greenhouse or something in the winter and they'll prune them back just so they can get them in the door and not take up so much space.
Speaker 1: Right right, right, okay, all right, very good, Thank you so much. Welcome. Go ahead, go ahead, No, I go ahead. That kind of pruning.
Speaker 6: I'm just going to say, yeah, I was just said, that kind of pruning right before moving them in. That's fine too, said to it now, not later. But if you need to print them right before you bring them in, that that is also okay. They're going to try to resprout in the garage or wherever, and typically there's not a lot of light in those places, but that's that's just it.
Speaker 1: S Thank you so much. Welcome to you.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much. Appreciate the appreciate the call a lot.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: We were talking, you know, we're talking about with Larry, you know, you sent the photos of the lawn and he said he'd use nit Fross bug out Max and bug out Max is an excellent, excellent product. It's granules. You put it out and then you have to water a little bit, not a lot, just a little bit, and it dissolves that pesticide off the granule and it goes into the thatch area and that's where chinch bugs are living. They hide in the thatch.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: Also sid web worms during the day are down there in the thatch. So this will work against fleas, ticks, and a lot of other things. Within how about forty eight hours, it's pretty much done what it's going to do. It's very very quick to get to work, but then it lasts. You don't have to apply it every a few weeks. It's going to last for a good while. So applying it now takes care of that whole lawn insects season, which basically is mid to late summer primarily that we deal with those. Now you're going to find bug Out Max at Ace Hardawar City of Memorial Drive, a hiding and feed up on student or Airline has it plants for all seasons. On Highway two forty nine. Talk about Parkway is another place that you can find that bug Out Max when we're when I'm talking about all these things today. By the way, I hope you enjoyed our visit with Howard Nemerov on monarchs and tropical milkweed. I think it's really good to learn about that and to understand that we try to have some guests on periodically. That's something I'd like to do a little bit more. I know, you know we're all about calling in and things like that, but I think guests really help bring in a new person, effective and some new information to the show. So I hope you're enjoying that that we do.
Speaker 10: I know I do.
Speaker 6: I enjoy getting to pick their brain as during that time. Remember when you're watering your grass, your lawn grass, this is like my public service announcement. When you're watering your lawn grass, during this hot summer weather. A good deep, infrequent watering is best. Just two words to remember, deeply and infrequently. So if you take an inch, let me do this. If you take an inch of water, and you were to say, I'm going to water four times next week, because skip says put an inch of water a week when you're Saint Augustine lawn. Okay, so I'm going to water four times. I'm going to a quarter inch on each time. That quarter inch of irrigation would what the grass blades that thatch and not even get into the surface of the soil, and then when the irrigation goes off, it all evaporates away. But by doing that four times, you've increased the problems with diseases on any plant. Wetting the foliage repeatedly is not a good thing. If you put that inch on it one time, and that may require what we call cycle and soak so that it doesn't run off. Most soils, especially clays here in the Houston area, you can't put an inch on at one time. It starts to run off faster than can soak in. So you water for a while, let the irrigation go off for forty five minutes, and have that cycle come back on again and water again, and you can cycle it soak two or three times and get that inch in the soil. Now, the surface is still going to dry out the grass blades of thatch and all that. That water is always going to evaporate away no matter how you water. But you've put the rest of it into the soil and wet the soil deeply, and that creates a deep, resilient grass plant. And you are using drinking water to put on your lawn. When you irrigate, you waste less money on your drinking water, which also saves you in most communities on your sewer bill as well, because it's tied to the water build in most communities. So that's just a tip of the wise. A good deep soaking on an infrequent basis, deep soaking on an infrequent basis, that is the secret to proper watering. And I've explained the reasons why it's so important. I used to live in Cypress area and I had a neighbor. The water came on, I don't know three times a week, which is way too much, and it he just was watering too often, and the irrigation heads were so misaligned. That one head was spray in my car and my driveway. So I'd park backwards on some days so I could wash the other side of the car. But that's not the way to water well. I talk about bronze stuff, and you're not going to find a better place to get quality things to make your soul the best it can be than Cienamulch. Cienamult is down north of Roe, Sharon. It's on FM five twenty one. Here's the website. Just just write this down Sienna dot com. They carry the best soil mixes. They have things like the Veggie nerd mix from Heirloom Soils for example, many many others soils and mulches and blends and bed mixes and composts and they just you can buy stop bulk. You can buy stop by the bag. I think they deliver within about twenty miles for small delivery fee of the area. But ever fertilizer I talk about is there at Cienamultch and including a lot of other things composts and whatnot by the bag. Now, so when you go into Cienamltch and you drive away, or when you call them and have them bring it, if you're close by. You have taken care of the brown stuff, and now you're ready to put plants in and have success. Cienamltch sets your garden beds up for success. That's as simple as that. I was driving past D and D Feed up there in Tumble the other day, and D and D Feed is just it's an awesome food store. Their phone number if you like to get them called two eight one three five one seventy one forty four. They carry every fertilizer I talk about on guardline everyone, and you need to swing in there to see it. They also have a great selection of everything you need to take care of your lawn. You hear me say, we'll use this for ince X, or use this for diseases and use this control week. Go to D and DE feet they get you set up there. They carry age leaf, more composed and rose, soil and fruit, very citrus, very veggy, and irg sails all from airloom sauce. It's a great place and they have plants out fine too. Go by and say hi to them in there, and you got to go inside that that is it is really really cool. Well, it looks like I'm about to put another hour in the books here, So I'll just say see in a minute if you'd like to give us a call. We got the phones open again here seven one three two one two K.
Speaker 10: T R H.
Speaker 6: If you're looking for finding here, we are back again. You're listening to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here to answer your gardening questions. What kind of question? Do you have something identified? You want something diagnosed, I want a suggestion for a plant, or I don't know, you tell me. We're happy to entertain those because we want you to have a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape, and I want you to have fun out there in the garden gardening. It is fun and it promotes our health in any ways. I talk about that all the time, but it should be fun. You know people that It just breaks my heart when I hear somebody go, yeah, I got a brown thumb. I can't grow anything. I tried that it died.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: It's like no, no, no, no, no, here, come here, let me talk to you. We can fix this. There are no such things as brown thumbs. There are uninformed thumbs and will inform your thumb. That's why Granny could grow stuff. You think, anything Granny put in the ground, it just grews. She had all these beautiful flowers. Rannie just knew the right things to do. It's as simple as that. I talk about preparing the soil and how important that is. I talk about picking plants that want to grow there, planting them properly. If it wants sun, give it sun. If it wants shade, give it shade. Do you see what I'm saying, All of those aspects, that's just the basics. And that's how you have success with plants. And you can too. You can too. And gardeners are always trying to do stuff that's outside the box. And that's okay, that's part of the fun of it. We're here to help you have success. That's what we want to see because it's fun. It's a fun thing. Something that's not fun is mosquitoes. You know, all that rain we had a while back, Oh my gosh. I walked outside and it was like any of you ever see the hitch Alfred Hitchcock movie The Birds. If you haven't, well, it probably probably doesn't hold up over time, because now things are so much more horrific in the movies in a scary movie. But oh, that one was frightening. Back in the day birds it flocks of birds attacking. Well, I thought it was in the movie the Birds, except it was the mosquitos was the name of the movie. They were coming in from everywhere. Mosquito dunks is what you need to always have on hand. Now, there's a lot of ways to manage mosquitos. You know, people have foggers that they go out there and do that and all that. Mosquitoes breed in water, and they don't need much water. A thimbleful of water is enough for certain species of mosquitoes to be able to do their life cycle in And it's just a matter of days. They lay the egg turns into a larva. The larva's there for a bit, it comes out, and here we are another mosquito. You put mosquito dunks in water, and mosquitoes cannot grow up. They will die. It is a disease only of mosquitoes. Won't hurt birds, won't hurt pets, it won't heart beneficial insects water. It's a disease of mosquitos and fungal fungus knots. By the way, it Lossoo kill fungus nuts. So you take a dunk, it's a donut. You throw it out there in the pond and it'll cover one hundred square feet and last a month. Or break it up, or just buy the granular form of mosquito dunks from Summit Responsible Solutions and throw those into that. Maybe you got a hollow up in a tree where water stands and mosquitoes are breeding up there, a saggy roof drainage channel. I can't even say the properly. Throw them up in there, underneath the catch basins, underneath the pots where water stands. Throw it in there, a bird bat throw it in there, won't hurt the birds. Mosquito dunks easy to get, available in a lot of different places. For example, they're almost all independent nurseryes, feed stores, and ace hardware stores carry those mosquito dunks, so just keep them on hand. I mean, welcome to Southeast Texas. Mosquitoes are part of life. It rains a lot here. If you were in Elpaso, you wouldn't have so many mosquitoes. But who wants to live in Opaso? And you can live here and grow all kinds of good things. Here in the Houston area, a mosquito Duk's what you need to know. I mentioned Ace Hardware. Ace Hardware. There's forty stores in the Greater Houston area and that is so convenient. No matter where you live, there's an ACE Hardware store. So for example, you know, go to Acehardware dot com, forward sled, go to Aceharbor dot com and find the store locator and you can find the stores near you. I want to tell you this though, for those of you anyone out west, kind of west northwest. Langham Creek. ACE Hardware is on Highway five twenty nine in Cypress, that's near the Copperfield neighborhood. It's at the intersection of Barker, Cypress and FM five twenty nine. Langham Creek Ace Hardware. You can find it by going to Acehardware dot com. On Friday of this coming week, Friday the thirtieth, they're going to have a giveaway of an Ego Power String Trim or two hundred and fifty dollars machine. They're given away because this is part of their grand reopening at Langham Creek Case Hardware. They're going to do demos on Weber grills Saturday, they'll be giving away a four hundred and fifty dollars Weber gas grill. That's a big giveaway. They'll be demonstrating Big Green Egg and the Goseny Picha pizza oven. Those are cool. You got to see that. They'll have fifteen percent off all still units only on Saturday thirty first. Hear me clearly still open house only on Saturday the thirty first for the still unit fifteen percent off. Then on Sunday they're giving away a painting room makeover worth two hundred dollars and they'll be demoing trigger grills. So it's going to be a lot of cool stuff. I was there earlier this year and we had a great time there, and then they just they kind of shut things down a little bit, did a complete revamp, and they're opening up again at Legham Creek Ace Hardware, one of the forty eighth hardware stores here in the Greater Houston area. Well, you were listening to Garden Line. Our phone number is seven and three two one two k t r H. Seven to one three two one two k t r H. While I was out at the TNLA show, I got to meet a lot of different folks. You know, a lot of our sponsors go out to that show, and then there are a lot of folks there's really from all over the country. Just about people are coming in. People that wholesale plants of different types and products and all kinds of things, equipment. It's a great, great for horticulturists. It's a great, great show. I was out there visiting with Dean Nelson and Shelby and some of the team out at Nelson Fertilizers, Nelson Plant Foods. Nelson's has been making quality plant food for a long time and they have a number of really good good products. I wish, I wish I could talk about all of them, but that would take about three shows, I think, to really do a good job of that. But Bruces Brew is something you can use as part of the turf Star line. It's grand or fertilizer anytime grass is growing for a quick green hu Now it's not just quick. It does have a gradual release component to it also. But you can do bruces brew right now. If you have not fertilized this summer, go ahead and do the Bruces Breu. Now, I just do a light application of it and it'll carry you forward. It's an excellent fertilizer. But while you're purchasing products from Nelson, nutri Star and the color Star line lots of different options for tropical plants, for viining plants, for flowering trees and shrubs, for just general trees and shrub The nutris Star Tree and shob will give three to four months per application of release of that nitrogen in the nutrients, and that helps get your trees and shrubs growing faster, helps the established. All of these plus a couple dozen of the products available from Nelson Plant Food which are available widely throughout the Greater Houston area. Okay, here, let's see. I was gonna what was I want to tell you guys. Oh, just another reminder. I know what it was before I forget, because I tend to get the end of the show and forget something. The Fall Home and Outdoor Living Show September seventh and eighth. That's two weeks from today, September seventh. I'll be there on September seventh. This is the Montgomery County Fall Home and Outdoor Living Show. It's at the Lone Star Convention Center up on the North side Airport Road in Conroe. I'll be there from twelfth to two and I'm going to be given a talk on fall gardening, and then I'm going to be entering. I'll answer garden questions to the cows come home. So bring your questions, bring me samples, bring pictures on your phone. Let's talk. I'm giving you a two week warning there the Fall Home and Outdoor Living Show September seventh and eighth. I'll be there on the seventh Montgomery County Fall Home and Outdoor Living Show. Hope you'll come see me. That's always a fun time. A lot of folks up there in that region that really love gardening. Time for me to take a break. When we come back, I'll be talking with Randy and Richard first and your call as well. We're gonna go straight to the phones and just get down to business. Right here, We're gonna head out to let's see Randy. Hello Randy, and welcome to Garden Line.
Speaker 17: Hello, sir, I have a question about some I have a question about some oak trees that we plan in. Back in April May, we got two hundred gallon live oats and four fifty gallon and got them planted and stuff. But the one hundred gallon are.
Speaker 1: Not doing good.
Speaker 17: One of them's already looked like it's dyed, and now the other one hundred gallon is starting to get a lot of brown leaves falling and stuff. It's still got new leaves on it, the baby leaves. But I was wondering if there's a something that I can you know, blend with water to try and help them or And the second question is about the deep water in some PCD down beside the two pieces beside each tree, and I've tried that.
Speaker 10: Is that good?
Speaker 17: Or should I just top water them? Or all the middle woods are doing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would water them from the top down with a slow, deep soaking and focus your watering on where the original roots cylinder was that went into the ground, because when you plant a tree like that, like a live oak, it takes a long time for the roots to really spread out and make a resilient plant. And this is several years and so especially during that first summer, you were just imagine that they didn't take the container off and they just dropped the container with the tree in the ground. You would know then all the water and has to be done right where that cylinder is right, because there's no reats can get outside that container. Well, that's kind of how it is, is it slowly spreads out, so it'll pump that cylinder dry. Even though the soil around it is kind of moist. It can't wig in fast enough, and so you've got to continue to water that cylinder area. And that's the best thing you can do.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 6: Now you don't want it to be submerged underwater soggy swamp, you know, but you do want to just recognize that every day that tree can pump that cylinder dry, I mean on a hot, hot summer day.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 6: Okay, well it's a matter too of the quantity. I don't know how much you're putting on, and it's hard for meat over the area, you know, kind of go, well, put this many gallons on or whatever. That's the main thing you can do. There's no special concoction at this point to do it. I'm about ninety five percent sure that the die back is due to it using water faster than it can take it up in that root zone.
Speaker 10: And so.
Speaker 6: You know that that would be my suggestion or Randy on trying to bring those back A disease wouldn't hit it that fast. Insects not the cause of that. It's got to be just due to the water, heat and the heat. Yeah, and the heat. Oh yeah, and the heat absolutely. But remember it's a it's essentially an evergreen species. So when it cools off, the demands go down, but it still has leaves and it's still using water. So you back off the watering a little bit. But it's just as important to be watering in September and October, for example, November, even if we're not getting the rain to supply an adequate amount.
Speaker 17: Yes, sir, how long should I wait for the one hundred gallon to determine whether to dig it up? Or how long should I give it to say? Yeah, I'm back the other one?
Speaker 6: You should. You should see a re sprouting coming up here in the next few weeks or months if it's going. If you wanted to give it until spring, you could do that. If you've bend twigs and they are there's no moisture in them, you know, they're is dry, like like you're bending a toothpick and it snaps, Uh, then uh, it might try resprouting from the trunk.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: You may get some new sprouts in there, But then you've got a whole different tree, and you just have to decide if you would prefer to just go ahead and replace it. So it comes down to aesthetics and money and the trade off between those two. All right, Randy, Hey, I got an I don't have to run, but you bet wish you wish you very very well. We're going to go now to Kingwood, Texas and talk to Javon. Hello, Yevon, Hello, Hi, you're on a guard line. How can we help? You're on guardline? Jevon, I turn off the radio if it's on.
Speaker 14: I moved into a house with existing knockout roses that have I think never been trimmed.
Speaker 19: Can I trim them now?
Speaker 14: Or do I need to wait till February.
Speaker 6: Now's a great time with you. Trim them now. You're gonna get reg like crazy and you'll have a beautiful bloom show in October, late September and October. Okay, thanks, all right, you beat you bad. Take care. Let's see let's do another one quick.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 6: We're going to go to Sherry and Hello, Sherry, welcome to guardline.
Speaker 16: Hi, Hi, Skip, can you hear me?
Speaker 6: Yes, ma'am Hi there.
Speaker 16: Okay, we really enjoy your show. Thanks for taking my call. So what I'm talking about are mealy bugs. I have been dealing with them since June. They it's a terrible infestation right now.
Speaker 7: And back in June, somebody else had called into you asking about the mealy bugs and you had mentioned that they have a coding of protective coating and to use pesticide on them.
Speaker 16: So that's what I've been doing. I've been using this bio Advance three and one in sect disease and my Control so it says to apply every thirty days, of which I've done since June because they come back and I mean they're just ravaging at this point. They're on everything. It's terrible. So and I've also been out there and I've wiped off the hibiscus like with the alcohol. But the thing is is they're on everything, and I just have too many plants to do that. So I'm kind of I don't know what to do.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, if a plant is blooming, I tend to not like to use a systemic on it because that can get up in there and affect pollinators that are coming to the blooms. But stomachs are a great way to control meai bugs because they're sucking the juices out of the plant and you're basically putting a poison in the plumbing of the plant. Yeah, so that you know, they thought, like a lady beetle could crawl across the surface and not be affected because there's not a spray on the surface. It's drenched in the roots. And so I think that you know, probably those options get real limited for mealai bugs. They're difficult to kill. It's hard to get them all. So things like soaps and sprut and oils and whatnot, that all just you know, it just you just can't get it on all of them, and that that is one of the problems with you using any kind of a product on the mealy bugs. Cutting back the top growth, like on an ornamental grass or something that's invested, you can just cut the top growth off at the ground just a few inches above the ground and get all that out of there with all the old meea bugs and eggs and larvae that are in it and kind of start over coming up. You're still going to have them, but you kind of gotten it under control. Where then spring is a little easier because you have better access to them. For some plants that you can't do that with, sometimes people just go ahead and make the decision to pull the plant because they're not going to be able to get get good control.
Speaker 16: Really, so, is there a time in a year where they or they disappear or are we in an environment where I've never have dealt with the million bucks before. This is the first year. So here it go away and then.
Speaker 6: Well they're there, but you don't really see them all out like that when it's freezing weather and whatnot. But they'll they'll overwinter and they'll come back. That bio advanced by the way that you use that does have the systemic in it, and it will get in the plumbing and kill the plant, I mean killed the insect, but.
Speaker 16: Right, but yeah, but they come back, and it seems like this last time I applied it, it seems like it didn't work the entire thirty days. I mean, it maybe worked twenty days. So I'm like, well, I wonder if you know it's just it stops working earlier, kind of like it stop working. So my plants really aren't even blue me now because I don't want Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Okay, well, that that's an option. You know, if you can get a spray to the mealy bugs uh the and the horticulture loyals uh in sexidal soaps, those can be somewhat effective. They're a physical killer, not a poison, but you just can't reach them all with the spray and so you're just you're just addressing the part that's you know, it's like chopping a weed off and it comes back from underground. You just chump when you do those kind of sprays. So, uh, the product you mentioned is fine. Uh, just just stay with it, uh and and realize that there's the decision. It's an effective product. But mealy bugs are difficult to get control over and get ahead of, and you may have to reapply it. And there are times when pulling a plant is the best thing just because you can't get ahead of them, and there's times when cutting it off and getting all that old growth out is the best thing. Is there's not a one size cuts all, but you can win. And that BioAdvance should that should do it. That should help a lot.
Speaker 12: Okay, okay, all right, well, thank you so much.
Speaker 16: For your time.
Speaker 6: You bet I hope that hope that helps. We're going to go now to Tomball and talk to Michelle and Michelle I got about one minute before we hit break, but let's see how far we can get.
Speaker 14: Yes, sir, so, I was calling because we have what we what they call carpet grass in our backyard. We're trying to get rid of it. That's one question. Second, as we have some crab grass we want to get rid of as well. And then third, we just lost a.
Speaker 19: Fur baby from a coral snake bite, which because they don't make anti vanom for coral snakes, and we've learned that they live in the ground, so knowing what to do to keep snakes so other babies don't get harmed or us.
Speaker 6: All right and all all right, good questions, they're telling me. It's sign for a break in my ear. I will be right back and we will tackle those. Thank you very much. We were right back fors Hey. We are glad you are with us today. We're got a board full of calls here. We'll head straight out to fair Field. Oh no, excuse me, still working with Michelle there. Hey, Michelle, you were talking about carpet grass and crabgrass, getting rid of those first, both of those can be controlled with anything that kills the top of the plant. They don't have a underground system to bounce back from like bermuda grass would for example. So there are you know, burn down products that things like vinegar would be an example of that, but there are others that you can purchase and sprown and mchillum, or you could just use a grass killer. There's a couple of grass killers. If you go to my website Gardening with Skip dot com Gardening with Skip dot Com, there is a publication that says herbicides that you use with my weed wiper, and there it lists weed killers by the kind of weed they kill, and there's a group for grasses and they're all listed right there. That would work on life with those if it's if what you have is crabgrass that is going to come back from seed every year, it's an annual so using a pre emergent in the spring, which is on the same website on my Pest Disease and Weed Management schedule for lawns, it tells you what and when do you do it that'll prevent the grab grass from coming in next year. So that would be that. Now as far as the coral snakes. I don't know a great way to control those. There are some products that you put out that are they they smell to the snake. One of them. One of them have oh gosh, what's the ingredient. It's like essentially mothballs kind of thing, that kind of odor. Another one is based on the napthalene, is what I was trying to say. Another one is based on like oils like clove and cinnamon oil, cedar oils and things. They're going to give you a certain amount of repellent. But they mainly work on pit vipers like rattle snakes, and I guess watermarks and snakes. I don't think they work on coral snake. You don't have to get a label and look at it. I'm definitely not a snake expert, as I'm proving on the air right now.
Speaker 10: Okay, okay, well this is helpful.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, keeping things trim back so you can see them that that will be another thing they liked, do you know.
Speaker 14: Yeah, we keep our yard cat every week. It's it's a thick yard. My husband, it's it's super thick. It's Saint Augustine. But we only have the problems in the backyard, not the front.
Speaker 6: Well, the good news on coral is, unlike the pit vipers, they got these big fangs and they strike you and boom, they've got you. Corals have to kind of bite and be able to actually grab. Like you know, if you look between your thumb and forefinger, you got some extra skin right in there that they could get their mouth around and bite. They more need to go at it that way. But they are very poisonous. It's just that there were things to inject the venom in the same way.
Speaker 14: Yes, they got my dog on her lip. She was a thirty five pounds healer mix and they don't make into venom anymore.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Well, Michelle's that's the best I can do on the snake one. But I appreciate your call. Thank you very much. I know I'm giving you guys the hebgbi's listening talking about snakes. But here we go. We're going to go to Fairfield now and talk to Marty. Hey, Marty, welcome, regard.
Speaker 10: Line, Good mornings.
Speaker 3: Get I'm sorry that her little dog. Understand, Hey, I had I needed all purpose food for my potted plants. On a patio that gets full sun all day. I'm watering a lot.
Speaker 10: But there it's a mix.
Speaker 3: I've got the videos, I've got firecrack crap, I've got high buscus is. Short of putting every different food on each different one, is there an all purpose that I could use instead?
Speaker 6: You know, all of those would be okay to use those kind of specifics. You know, Nitrophis and Nelson's makes specific little jars for all those kinds of plants and things. Just the color star would would work fine. Some of Nitrofhoce's products you know for color plants and things, would would also work. It we put these certain ratios on a label and say this is a food for citrus or four tomatoes or whatever, and it's it's just a good general guess on those kinds of things. It's not like you can't use the tomato food on a citrus for example. I mean they're nutrients and they will help. It's just and if you're trying to cover your bases and not buy ten products for ten different plants, I would just go with a standard like that.
Speaker 3: Like I mentioned, well, I have ten different products for all my plants. I have micro you already got I've got for fox Farm, I've got Ozma cut, I've got every color food you can imagine. But I just sort of put in each individual one on and do I use full strength right now? Or do I use partial strength because of the heat.
Speaker 6: Yeah? And you're talking about containers of flowering plants right, yes.
Speaker 3: And I've got the mulch to put on the top, and now I want to feed them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can do it now. I would do it at a moderate rate and make sure you keep them adequately watered. If it's a synthetic, it's a salt based and if you overapply, you can get root burn from the concentrated salts. But if it's organic, it's going to break down slow, it's going to release. It'll be a little slower to release, but you're not going to get the burn. But either way you can have great success with plants. It's just sometimes well we have operator error as they call it, you know, where someone gets a great product and they'll dump it on and do damage when the product is not the product's fault, right.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well I'll just keep using the individual one. Then I've already lost my mandavilia and I just gave it some Boolavilia food, so I just thought maybe there was an all purpose. All Right, I'll keep plugging in.
Speaker 6: Well, I would consider color Star a pretty good all purpose in general.
Speaker 13: On that.
Speaker 6: All right, that's got a big I was talking about Nelson's products.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got a big jar of I just bought a couple weeks ago. We would use that instead.
Speaker 6: There, you go follow the label. Anything that you're using it on that might be an overwintering plant like a oh, especially a shrub, or something that might be a little cold tender, don't fertilize late in the season. Go ahead and get it done now, because you don't want to push something tender into late season growth, because that just makes it more coal susceptible. Okay, very good, Okay, well, thank you so much. All Right, you bet appreciate your call very much. Landscaper's Pride produces quality soils and mulches and they have many many types out there. Every month of the years is a good time to maltz. You should always keep bear soul covered with mult and Landscaper's Pride has twenty something products, including several quality multch products. But they also have soil products and now's the time when whether you're putting a container for a fall color, whether you're putting in a new landscape bed. Things like Gardner's Magic. It's an organic pine based product. It's got humus screen, pine composted rice sools and a chicken pullet fertilizer that's going to feed for about three months out as it decomposes a way in the soil. It's good for raised beds, good for containers. They're mushroom compost I mean, gardeners, No, mushroom compost is rocket fuel for plants, and they have a mushroom compost product that provides a wide variety of nutrients. They've got healthy soil compost that is an excellent recycled composted plant material. And then the black humous, beautiful, dark, rich composed. It's basically composted pine bark and some loamy topsail mixed in together. It's good for creating a new established bed or even just kind of building up an existing bed that you have. All from Landscaper's Pride. You go to Landscaperspride dot com and they'll tell you where you can find these and they are widely available here in the Houston area. We're going to take a break right now. When we come back from break, Shay and sugar Land, you'll be our first show in this today. Looking forward to I don't know, it's a few more calls here, maybe maybe certainly plenty of things we need to be talking about here as we go forward. I'm gonna first I just wanted to talk a little bit about a company I haven't talked about in a good wall and that's green Pro. Green Pro is a company that will come out and they will do core aeration of your lawn and compost stop dressing, and they basic service the service the area. Basically service the area, oh, let's say between I ten and Interstate thirty five. They kind of handle the northwest quadrant in a little north central as well. But Greenpro is one of those companies that does it right. I don't care if it's heat or dry spells, or foot traffic or take a root rot or chinch bugs or whatever. When your turf is stressed, getting a good deep time aera to get pull that plug a core arash and pull the plug out of the sole, leave it on the surface, and then follow that up with the compost top dressing. It's an It costs to do that, but it's still cheaper, especially than resotting. And when you're trying to take the grass you have and bring it back as best you can. This is a regimen that I would recommend. Aerating and compost top dressing now right now through fall. They've got a deal where they will aerate your lawn for free when you purchase the compost top dressing service. Now there's a two yard minimum, so they can't come out and you know, I just want one yard to compost and then aerrate. No, it's a two yard minimum to do this, but they'll airate for free when you purchase a compost top dressing. Prices start at about five seventy five plus tax. It depends on how big of an area, how far they have to drive. You know, they're carrying a big multi product all over the place. But Greenpro knows how to do it, and they do it right. Greenpro always does a proper job. So one I was, you know, visiting, I think I was talking to you guys. Somebody called the other day and we were discussing the whole idea of compost stop dressing and why that, why that helps and why that's important. And I'm telling you it just really really matters that you get somebody that knows what they're doing and that you get it done, because you can improve it a lot that way. If you want to go to the website, it's greenpro dot net, greenpro dot net. If you need a phone number, it's two eight one three five one. Let's see forty seven, Yeah, forty seven thirty three two eight one three five one forty seven thirty three. I'm going to head out now to sugar Land and we are going to talk to say hello, sh and welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 20: Hi Skim, thanks for taking my call. I have a I know I'm not using the actual name, but I say they're elephant ears. They they're call and they have the heart shaped leaf, and I just I cannot get.
Speaker 15: Rid of them.
Speaker 20: We will pull them out at the root, and sure enough they just come right back and they've just taken over our garden in the back. And they started in the backyard and now we see them in the front yard.
Speaker 14: So is there anything.
Speaker 12: Go ahead?
Speaker 6: I never tried approaching it that way. They have underground storage structures and so you know, whatever you do at the top. If there's a piece in the ground, it's gonna come back out. They proliferate that way. So hand digging is an option, but you're probably have to come back because you may miss the piece or two. But that is an option. As far as sprays, I'm going to give you my best guess idea here and I have not tried these, so I'm not saying anybody listening that I know this will kill Ala famire, But I would think that one of two things would work. Either applying a general purpose week killer to them. That would include like a glyphosate type ingredient. You know, people are all familiar with that and have different opinion about using that product that but the key to it is having a spreader sticker. And wherever you go shopping for your products, like you're in sugar Land, you're not too far away from Southwest Fertilizer on Businet and Runwick, Bob's got spreader sticks, all of our garden centers, all our ace hardware, stort they got spreader stickers and stuff. But put that on there because if you've ever noticed, when it rains, the water just balls up and rolls right off the leaf and you need the spray to spread out and stick, and the other thing would be a triclope here ingredient. And if you go online to my website Gardening with Skip dot Com, I put something up about how to build your own weed wiper, and with it there's a publication on herbicides to use. And what it does is it says, if you've got woody weeds, use this product. If you've got grassyweeds, use this product. You know, if you and so on and on. There you'll find out what are the products that contain life, I'll say, or what are the products that contain trici peer we People used to always just say, well round up glycas Well, round Up's not glyphs it anymore. For most home and garden centers where you go in when you buy roundup, you're not buying glavasate most of the time. So that's why I've made that where you can find the products that contain either of those ingredients. So Gardening with Skip dot Com.
Speaker 20: Okay, all right, well, thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Okay, bad, all right, by bye bye bye.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: That that kind of reminds me I need to I need to look into that. I want to. I need to check out on elephant ear come up. It's always interesting. I've been answer your question for thirty five years. He's a County Agrolife Extension horticulturist and as a radio host and now's a radio host of Garden Line. Uh, and I have not had that question before. So that's that's always fun. Keeps me young, keeps me on top of my toes. But they say part of me in sparts and knowing what you're dumb at. I'm learning that I'm dumb at a lot of things as I get. When I was young, I knew everything all right. Hey, if you're out in sugar Land and you haven't been to Chanted Forest, you ought to go. Enchanted Forest is an outstanding garden center. If you're in let's say you're in rosenbur I said sugar Land. That it's near sugar Land too. If you're in the Richmond area and you go towards sugar Land up up fifty nine, it's off to the right. The actual road is FM twenty seven fifty nine, twenty seven to fifty nine. Awesome garden center. Their selection of plants is unbelievable. Coming up on September twenty eighth, Danny Linderman, owner of the Chanted Forest, is going to be talking. He's giving a talk call the Fall Kickoff. There's going to be all kinds of festivities. I'm going to be speaking out there this fall. They have something almost every weekend from September twenty eighth all the way, I don't know, maybe November two. There's something going on every weekend out an Enchanted Forest. The ninth thing going on there is great plants, great selection, just outstanding. And if you're looking for a pottery, if you're looking for blame for the garden, you know, a herd, a bird bath kind of thing. It's it's fall planning season. They're loaded up on shrubs and herbs and perennial him in and Chanted Forest before you need to go and all you need to do if you want to you want to go out there is remember en Chentedforest, Richmond, TX dot com