Speaker 1: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio WIB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera, your Troy Hutcherson from Boysycats dot com. And we got Ray talking about restaurants. Yep, we'll talk about breaking news right now.
Speaker 1: This is Eye on the Ball, breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 3: All right, just taking care of some things that pertain to the university. Couple sionees for the softball team, whoever was it. Jalen Adams was from Iowa. I believe she made the second second team All Conference, All Big Ten, All Big Ten. And then Janee Barry from Indiana, she she came through. There was also a four star. I don't know if this one's been mentioned, but Riley Holder from the Impact the Gold Organization also signed with the softball team. But I mean good signs.
Speaker 4: They mean they ranked her as a four star. They actually had the star ranking for that on on three or on three Okay, okay, okay. Back when I was really covering softball, you would see just recruiting rankings, and they were so scattered really all that, Like carl Scoopen was unranked oh Man on one service, and then she was forty eighth on the other.
Speaker 3: It's like okay, well that's a top ten player.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And they had one girl that was in the top ten that never played. So yeah, yeah, very scattered rankings. Usually Tara goes.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess probably like getting more down to it just because like there's more money getting pumped into it, I'd assume, yeah, keeping it going. A new track and field and cross country ghost got announced today. Andrew Dubbs. Right, hopefully he can bring some dubs to the to the tractor. Sorry I was coming. He was right there. Dude was right there. You've been hanging around me too much?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Maybe sorry? Maybe. Also we mentioned the the recruit the football recruits got Malachi Joiner, three star in state offensive lineman that signed last night this morning, sixteen hours ago last time I saw. So yeah, yeah, we'll just we'll just call it last night then, alright, Oh, this is a cool one. Colton Smith, the tennis player, reached the final of the Birmingham Challenger in his first professional grass tournament and lost or what uh, it or has reached it. I think it's just reached as of now. Still play. Nope. So they got they final matches got suspended due to weather. Okay, so he got there and then they didn't. Yeah, they haven't played yet. So yeah, that's that's gonna be one to look out for. Getting onto horse racing, getting on into the track. Sovereignty journalism once again. Yeah, that was crazy. I had journalism all the way. Yeah, well got some money back. It was okay, it was a good race. Well it was the It was the same top three from from the Derby because Basic came in third, I believe r Yeah, so that's a that was an interesting, good race. Nice race. The Diamondbacks they play they play the Mariners. Yeah, there's a lot of people calling for that coach's job. Man deserves it. Really, how long.
Speaker 2: Have you been there?
Speaker 4: Nine years and one playoff appearance? You probably a few times to playoff appearance.
Speaker 3: I'm going this weekend. I'm watching the game on Sunday. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: You gotta spend your money driving up there the parking, Yeah, its father's dam.
Speaker 3: But to stay over the night.
Speaker 4: Oh well there that's true as well. Happy Father's Day. For that, you know, but yeah, no, I mean Tory Lavello. They made the World Series twenty twenty three, but they ended the seasonly crap what They ended that season on a four game losing street before the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Last last year, Uh, they lost the series to the Rockies. They blew an eight nothing lead to the Brewers got swept by the Padres, miss missing the playoffs by one game after having a seven game lead, to only two postgame postseason appearances. And this season just very underwhelming and after nine years, yeah, you know, if it's not working.
Speaker 3: I remember, like I think last week or maybe a week and a half ago, there was a lot of people like questioning his decision about pitching Corbyn Burns on like a maybe, like the very like brink of his rest, of when he was supposed to rest, or like like a day early.
Speaker 4: Well what happened was they were deciding between Gallon and Corbyn Burns who was going to be the opening days starter. Corbyn Burns is the better pitcher these days. He should have been the opening day start, but they gave it to Gallen out of respect. But Burns had his starts lined up perfectly for that, so it pushed him back, and then they had to push his other start, so it messed up his rhythm. At the beginning of the season, he got off on a bumpy start, had a couple issues, got back on track, and now you're having Tommy John. I'm not saying that caused to Tommy John. Who knows how it's caused. It's unpredictable. But decisions in the bullpen, decisions with the lineups.
Speaker 3: Who who would you want to manage that team? You know?
Speaker 4: I like Mark de rosa MLB network. He manages Team USA last couple of years, bringing in a fresh face. He's a young guy that knows the game very well. Former player Miguel Montero is in the system and is regarded as a guy potentially in waiting. He's like in the front office like Craig Counsel was in the front office for Milwaukee. But honestly, I don't know if it's a matter of who, because there's usually a lot of names that nobody hears about, like bench coaches and stuff like that, like Tory was. But after hearing the same red Rick and just seeing how the players have played, you got blown out by Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: You got blown out by the Rockies. You got you need.
Speaker 2: That's not good if you been getting blown up by Pittsburgh and Colorado.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The other day against the Reds, he lost one to thirteen. Yeah, after losing the first game of a double header because of a rain to Land. Then he got whooped in the last game. So it is that the efforts is out there. Tickets on sale, right, dude.
Speaker 3: That was a crazy throw by Ellie though over that was over the weekend, right, you know what.
Speaker 4: I was listening on radio, so I was working side and really bro yeah, yeah, yeah, he's that on Sunday or.
Speaker 3: Uh, I think what Sunday or Saturday, like just like probably like shallow outfield just hosed man the fast guy, yes, yeah, just absolutely hosed them from second. It was it was crazy. I think the ball they said like one of like yeah, he just yeah, that guy is a rocket for an arm keeping it going though. Finals Game two happened on Sunday yesterday.
Speaker 2: I think the guys, the UI guys combined like for twenty four points blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: They were out of it the whole game though. Yeah yeah, yeah, final score was one twenty three to one oh seven. Not even that close. Probably, No, mean they stretched it. They stretched it a little bit. I was, I was, I wasn't watching. I was keeping up with the score just because it's like, I mean, that's how the Pacers are, you know what I mean. It's like they get down, they come back, make it a game at the end, and the Halliburton just steals the show usually.
Speaker 4: And I don't want to say every game doesn't matter, but you did your job. You stole one. Yeah, all right, yeah for sure, So just handle business at home.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then there was a there was a quote here that I was going to read, but anyways, Haliburton pretty much just saying that he needs to get off to a better start in the first half. Well then, and him and the team had nineteen turnovers in Game one's first half. I'm not sure how many they had. And this one keeping it going though, Oilers and Panthers. Man, you know, I'm not usually a hockey guy, but man, this series is bonkers, dude. I mean, first one goes so to they already played an extra game because of ot and I think in the in the first period on Friday, there were two There was like five minutes left in the first period and it's like three to two and it's just like, dude, what like I mean they know each other, you know what I mean. They're great teams obviously, but man, I don't think I'm gonna get into hockey. But I'm gonna keep up with this series very closely.
Speaker 4: But you can do it for me because they're I'm not a hockey person.
Speaker 3: Dude, I've tried. I can't do it. Too cold cold in this room. I grew up. I grew up here in Arizona. They're in.
Speaker 4: There isn't any ice out there in the Coyotes mood. You know what my thoughts were? Yeah, oh well no, yeah, I believe it. I know a lot of people were sad. People loved it, but I me too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I don't know, it's easier for me to watch soccer than watch hockey. So and you know what, I'm not a big soccer person, but I agree. Yeah, I don't know why because borying me right now? Are you just yelling? Sorry? And this court is one nothing after ninety minutes, Uh, Cocoa golf won the what she went the French Open and beat Sablenka to win. That would you see that the quote. Do you see the quotes. I didn't see the quotes.
Speaker 4: I saw Sablinka and her interaction with her coach while she's getting beat. She's yelling at them after every point, like what are you doing? You're the one out there on the kinnis qore.
Speaker 2: What struck me was the quotes about her about from her saying, you know, I didn't play very well today, YadA YadA.
Speaker 3: It was just not a good day.
Speaker 2: And I guess people like you know Twitter, you know, dumb dumb Twitter, criticizing for her not giving golf credit. And I'm seeing this is what we're the world that we live in now. Guess what, Although although you can go she she went back and apologized for not doing that, but I quoted I said these quotes. I'm not gonna apologize. I just didn't play well. Whether she made it look that way or whatever. I don't think I should have to apologize for saying she beat me.
Speaker 4: So she should she say, you know what, I'm just not very good.
Speaker 2: She's the exactly well that's and she apologized, you know, I should have given her more credit or whatever. Yeah, but maybe, but still, if you get beat and you didn't play well, she said. She said, I had a lot of one first turnovers. I played pretty badly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's why I was saying this. Guess what she won? The other girl won? Okay, big deal.
Speaker 4: You know, there's a lot of people on social media that shouldn't be tweeting out their opinion and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: You're exactly.
Speaker 4: They're the same people that have never played the damn darn sport. I don't know if you can say that you okay damn sport ever in their life. And they're sitting there on the couch judging everybody.
Speaker 2: So right, Well, there was another one over the weekend with Reese Angel Reese, uh I guess CBS posted and they get to ask you by Indiana get right, and they were posting it, well, Reese is doing what she did. She had a layup and she only had She had a horrible game, and they were pushing her highlight and people were saying, why are you pushing the girl high like when when they got.
Speaker 3: Killed, that's fair. Just watch the game. Just what does it matter? There was this is gonna be me, But there was a there was these guys that I don't know if they like streaming on like TikTok or like YouTube or something. But they had like a seven seven day or like seven times in a row they bet for Angel recent mister. I saw that they made a bunch of money out of that. It was live betty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it was pree like prop like if you picked the first bucket, who's going to score the first bucket? Is she gonna make her first bass? So no, sorry, you watch her play? How many times does it take her to put in the ball? They'll have ten rebounds?
Speaker 3: So I didn't see how much like the payout was, but yeah they what it ended on the seventh day. What happened to your guy with the prop bet I gotta see, I gotta check that out. But what's the prop up? Oh dude, this guy hit a futures parlay for the ages. He or he's opening a hit one. It was the Rodgers, the Liberty, the Eagles, and then he has Edmonton winning and okay see winning, there's coming to you another one.
Speaker 2: And no it was five five okay five and they paid that much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was he probably did it like last year or something. Oh yeah, sure, but yeah, he bet like thirteen and it was like two seventy payout, like two seventy k Twitter and he can catch up for one hundred and ten and I think it was thirteen hundred That's what it was on Friday, But then thirteen dollars? Was it thirteen dollars? Yeah, thirteen dollars?
Speaker 2: I believe that five five. That seems just out.
Speaker 3: Of the world. What are the odds you're gonna hit all five? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but they were gonna pay them one hundred and seven dollars to get out of that ticket.
Speaker 3: And I should just keep going.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: Look one hundred and seven dollars hundred and seven k oh yeah, yeah, see, you're the only one that's not doing I'm cashing out well.
Speaker 2: For the next well, I guess they would if if Edmonton lost, right, then it would go down more.
Speaker 3: But okay, see one, that's my point. Yeah see, and I regret check it.
Speaker 2: Check it when we have a chance, Okay, because you have some more breaking news.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we got a most time. Yeah, we got three. Yeah, I got like three. Four minutes, the Colts reveal that they're going to transition the ownership to Ursay's daughters after he passed away. Oh, this is an interesting one. Murray's leading duke right now to go in the in their super regional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the score to to zero? And I killed them last game? Yeah, you got softball softball stuff. There was one was finished in the rankings, eighteenth I think.
Speaker 3: It was, Yeah, it was eighteen. And then Devin nets was rated as the number sixth player in the country from last season from last season, right, which.
Speaker 2: I was a little bit surprised. That's to me a little high. But who's the best you think, and who's who was too? Yeah, I would say Jordie Ball three.
Speaker 3: I didn't know who.
Speaker 4: The challenge that they had the Arkansas Yeah, that's ridiculous. I'm sorry when you're doing it from both sides of the plate, for sure, I mean, well both sides.
Speaker 2: Of the to me, Jeordie balls fantastic to watch.
Speaker 4: Just just those are if those are the two best players in the sport.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then the Tennessee pitcher Carlyn Pickett, yeah, pictures four five yeah, four okay? Yeah, and then five was Corey McMillan from Virginia Tech. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't see her player then, Yeah, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's kind of cool. I mean she she want Big twelve player, want a Big twelve Player of the Year over Nigi Kennedy. Yeah, I'm sure that didn't cause any trouble.
Speaker 2: I'm not here to cause no trouble, just here to watch a Super Bowl shovel exact?
Speaker 3: Do you haven't even know what I'm talking about? Woods eighty five Bears, gotta try. I guess you got sho that's because I just know the sh just because of the commercial. Man, get your cold cuts, get your cold Uh when he says refrigerator, what do you think of I think William Perry. Okay, yeah, no, I got I mean, I just don't know the details, you know what I'm I mean, I know the big names for the most part. But yeah, it's just like like the niche stuff like that. All right, just wrap up on this one. Nick Chubb signed a deal with the Texans today after blowing out his kne last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know that's going to be a pretty good backfield. Joe Mixon's a solid back and he got banged up at the end of last season, and whatever you get out of out of Chum, that's going to be a plus. Yeah, he's not going to be the number one back.
Speaker 3: So yeah, exactly, take some load off Bruce, Bruce, the lineman, the linebackers, all that, all that good stuff. But that's cool.
Speaker 7: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 3: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 7: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul of Tucson. Are you ready Enterprise of Fasco Yuki Try.
Speaker 8: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 8: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Monday to Go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 3: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 8: Wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato rock materials I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero or zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 9: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier.
Speaker 3: Give them an.
Speaker 2: Award they can be proud of.
Speaker 9: They have trophies, blacks, acrylics, art class, fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Rackman Street, across the street from Pema College downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 10: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven arizon aabk on two nine four two equal housing opportunity. Now that commitment to Lynrix syncredit rates and avaiable loan programs or subt to change then notice.
Speaker 3: Did you know?
Speaker 11: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy showtime cards for their passion.
Speaker 9: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to Roh twelve thirteen, broad sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 5: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialists US can't run or hide from Arizona Pace Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespeds, or rodents. Serving Tucson in southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 12: Why is mining so important. It's the foundation of everything that defines a society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals in the process.
Speaker 3: That's wilining is so important.
Speaker 8: Go to vybm dot com looking for quality windows without the weight. Come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection of Millgard windows in stock now and ready for pickup. Needs something custom no problem, from new construction to full home replacement. Help you order the perfect mill Guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, the Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the window Deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill Guard window experts.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Wall on Fox Sports fourteenth fifding. Want to take part in the show call up Steve now went five to two oh four, one, six, seventy four forty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I'm the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera and today is Troy Hutsson from Goizycass dot com. Got ready behind the scenes here and now we have Brian Peterson from Good Easy Deserts form Right you bet.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 6: Have you slept yes, Uh, yeah, there's been some sleeping here and there. But uh, you know, I got to recalibrate because I was on Eastern Time for about four or five days and then I'll be on Central Time here in a couple of days.
Speaker 2: Was it well, the scenery and the expectation was it didn't match it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, North Carolina is. I mean, first and foremost is just the beautiful campus there. That was actually the school I wanted to go to growing up in New Jersey, and I visited there and I applied, didn't get in, and that's how I ended up out in Arizona. But it was great to get to go back and check all that out. But it was a beautiful setting, very nice stadium packed, super polite people, just very welcoming, great atmosphere.
Speaker 2: And all that.
Speaker 6: And then I mean you combine that with a dramatic three game series where Arizona starts and just gets destroyed the first game and somehow manages to just flush that. They kept using that word, that phrase, come back and do a back and forth game for the second one, and then they really looked like they were left for dead there late in the third one, and get one little break they said they just needed a crack, and they got it and took advantage, and now they're going back to Omaha.
Speaker 4: You know everybody talks about, especially managers, flushing it, erasing it from your memory and just moving on. Clearly they did that, and did you get a sense in that second game just a different mentality from the first kind of a different I don't want to say different character, different team out there, because they've been doing it all year, but just non worries, some vibe out there by the team, like a confidence. I guess you would.
Speaker 6: Say, yeah, it's The thing is is that this has happened all year. In the Big Twelve, they went four and six in series openers and still managed to go eighteen and twelve in the league. So it gives you an idea of how they didn't let that first result really affect it. There were three times, I believe where they lost the first game in the series and then came back and won the series. So and a couple of those were on the road. So they've shown the ability to just take the loss and move on and not let that stuff carry over. But then at the same time, they've been able to use the momentum from a win and push that. So it's almost like there's different switches that they can compartmentalize the loss but feed off of the win.
Speaker 2: So when the season started, what did you think from your eyes, what were the expectations of how good this team could.
Speaker 6: Be based on talent and experience, the age of the team and all of that, and the weird history of this program. Omaha was a very realistic goal for this team if it could navigate this new conference the way it had the tail end of the time in the Big Twelve. It's such a weird thing. Since two thousand and four, every four NCAA tournaments Arizona has had gone to at least the Super Regionals, not to Omaha, and since twenty twelve now it's in every fourth tournament twelve, sixteen, twenty one because everything shut down in twenty and now twenty five. Part of that's kind of the cyclical nature of college baseball, because you end up having these classes every three or four years that you have a junior and senior heavy team that it all comes together, And that seemed to be what I was looking at at the beginning of the season, with the fact that their lineup has seven juniors and seniors in the starting line, in the hitting order, and that's what you need in these tournaments to have that experience. It was shaky a lot during the season. There were a lot of things that went wrong, and even two weeks left in the regular.
Speaker 3: Season, it wasn't looking good.
Speaker 6: They looked like they could have a couple more straight losses and they might have found themselves on the bubble hole. They right at the ship and they're winning when they're supposed to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's kind of where I want to go with the next question, because so you had them at a home possibly at the beginning of the year. Was there a time in there or you doubted their ability to move forward?
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was. There was a stretch in late in mid May where they were late April and then into May they struggled in a series at Texas Tech, which was not a good team. And then they come home and they.
Speaker 3: Take two out of.
Speaker 6: Three from TCU, who's one of the top teams in the league, and you're like, okay, well, and then they get it figured out. Then they played the last place team in the league, Utah, and lose the first two games of that series and just look like they are not focused, that they don't have what it takes, and you're just wondering, is this a team that's playing up and down to the level of competition or maybe they just it's not there. And then they go to Houston, which is another team that was towards the bottom, and get beat pretty bad in the first game, and you're like, Okay, well, I maybe this just isn't it. And then from the second game of that Houston series at the end of the regular season, since it's it's almost been a different team, but it's not. It's the same players. It's maybe they collectively realize that if they want to keep playing, they have to figure this out and not overlook people and treat every game like it's the last game of the season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it seemed to be somewhat of a wake up call in terms of going into the Big Twelve tournament and racking off the wins that they did and then getting the wins up in the Eugene Regional. But you know, one of the keys to this team seems to be the bullpen and the outstanding job that they've been doing and keeping the team in it even when the starting pinching hasn't gone to plan. Just your thoughts on the bullpen and specifically Turning Polita and the job he's done this postseason.
Speaker 6: At the back end of Arizona's bullpen has definitely been maybe the biggest strength in the most consistent part of the team. The pitching was going to be the big question mark this year because the entire starting rotation and the closer from last year got drafted, and the guys that they back in the fall probably thought were going to be the start in the rotation didn't end up being. They started the season with a a sophomore who had pitched five innings last year, and then a red shirt sophomore and a true freshman as their starting pitchers, and there were some headaches here and there, and it led to the bullpen getting overused in the middle of the season. But keeing with this stretch is the starting pitching started to be a little more reliable. This Regional, the Super Regional here those first two games that didn't show and that that's where the bullpen really stepped up. And Tony Fluta is at the forefront of that. He hasn't allowed an earned run. He hasn't allowed to run since April first, he's allowed I think five for the year, and only one in a leverage situation. He through fifty two pitches on Saturday, the most of his career, and comes back the next day and goes one, two, three in the ninth to clinch at spot in Omaha. The kid is five to eight at the most, probably five to seven. Nothing about him screams closer, but he just he has a something about him where he just is determined to not mess up. And he's the back end of a group that includes a couple of firearms in Julian Tojini and Hunter Alberini, who I think combined or averaging about fifteen strikeouts per nine innings. They've got a kind of a funky side armed dude in Casey hints that he was one of the dudes that got overused a lot earlier in the season, so he's had some rough games. But they just they have a lot of arms there that they can depend on, and they what's been amazing is they most of the season they haven't had to have these guys pitch a lot in one weekend, maybe twice on a Friday Sunday, but they haven't overworked them too much to where I think they're going into Omaha having a really good strength in that area.
Speaker 2: So you've covered for all this time here, I'm assuming because you've been around from time. I don't know him well at all, but to me watching or listening to him on the TV during those in interviews for the innings, you know, in between innings, he came up to me as kind of Tommy leydish, kind of likable, funny, kind of self effacing.
Speaker 3: Is he that guy?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And the thing is that he does not like doing those in game interviews. No coach does. But he's he just knows that there, you know, there's a value to him and he's gonna have fun with it and he's been in the game long enough that he understands why that is part of it. Yeah, he's he's got a weird kind of personality where he's he can be a little bit like poking fun at you as you've seen like that Tommy Lloyd will like to do and all that, but not to where it's mean or anyway. It's just say, hey, you know, let's enjoy what's been here. And a lot of that comes from he is home. He has lived in Tucson ever since he played here in the eighties, he's always kept the home here. It's where his wife and his kids have been when he was in the pros as a player, and then as a coach and the Miners, and then throughout his time in the major leagues. Even his last gig before the U of A, he was the assistant coach for the Tigers. He had himself an apartment in Detroit, but Tucson was his home and so being able to be here, he's just very relaxed and enjoying this, but not to where it's I don't care what the results are. This is his school. It means a lot to him and to be somebody who has taken the school that he that he went to and that he won a title as a player, and now to get to go back, I mean, it can't be understated how important that is them. And today is the thirty ninth anniversary of when he won a World Series title with Arizona.
Speaker 4: You know, there's a lot of interesting storylines going into the College World Series of Arizona, Oregon and UCLA packed well former packedwall schools all being their kind of powerhouses, but also coastal Careen and Arizona rematch of the twenty sixteen World Series, and potentially Arizona versus LSU at some point, maybe Jay Johnson being there out on the field, and you guys, you Levi and Javier and Morales are going to be out there and get a chance to interview Jay Johnson. I think it would be his first interview with a U of A reporters since leaving Tucsons.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 6: We're definitely looking forward to that. And there would have been possibilities for this to happen in the tournament in previous years. In twenty two, had Arizona won its regional and Coral Gables, it could have faced LSU in the super regionals. And even this past year, had Arizona in twenty four, had they won their regional, they were lined up with a regional that have LSU in it. So it's almost like it's been there on the tees. And the only way it can happen in Omaha is if Arizona went its side of the bracket and LSU wins its side and they play a best of three championships at the end. But even just him being there, I mean, he's going to get questions about Arizona because there's a familiarity there. But first, before you get to that point, you have the rematch of the twenty sixteen championship series with Coastal Carolina, and it's just very funny that those are the first two schools that clinch spots is Arizona and Coastal, and Coastal hasn't been back since they won that title, and a lot of the teams that are in this year, like Arizona hasn't been back since twenty one, only two other schools that are in this field have been back more recently. So it's a very wide open field in that respect. But yet you've got Oregon State on Arizona's side, who they've had so many great battles with over the year and over the years, and last year Arizona walked off the Beavers at High Corbett Field to win the final TACK twelve regular season title. UCLA's on the other side, had a lot of great ones with them. Last year, Arizona walked them off three games in a row and that was kind of the beginning of run towards the conference championships. So there's storylines for days and there's not going to be any shortage of things to talk about and write about.
Speaker 2: So I was going to ask you one of those questions. So I'm sure Desirae was out there North Carolina. I think one of the big questions is do you think he'll be extended anytime soon?
Speaker 6: I cannot see any reason why he wouldn't. And unless that Desirahs has a hard and fast policy of no extensions, you play out your fing no extensions while you have an active contract. It seems foolish. But I guess maybe in the current landscape where there's so much year to year stuff, the needed security for recruiting purposes of having that doesn't seem to have as much weight anymore. But it's more a matter of like, why wouldn't you want to extend the coach that has had the success he's had in his four years. Is It's not like he's not gonna want a huge raise. He just wants to continue to coach his school, and it just seems like this would be the perfect time to announce something like that. I thought the same thing four years ago when they went there with Jay Johnson. He was going to be finishing up the fourth year of a fifth year contract, and myself and Michael lev from The Star both asked Dave he the ad at the time, he when's the extension coming? And he just kind of laughted off, like we'll be getting something done soon. And a week later, j Johnson has left to go to LSU. I don't think Chip Hall would leave for another job. I think this is the last job he's going to have and he'll be here until he retires. But you still want to kind of reward someone for what they've done.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you for my final question, I did to make your answers shorter. Arizona win the title. If this happens, Arizona won't win the title.
Speaker 6: If this happens, Arizona will win the title if it gets at least four innings from its starters every time the starting pitchers. It won't if it has to keep going super deep into the bullpen every game, because you're just going to run out of bombs. They got the offense for it, you know, they don't have a super strong offense, but this is a really big stadium, so it's like playing at High Corbett and I think that might be a They're going to be more comfortable there than some of these other schools that play in tiny parks and are used to getting a lot of their runs by just hitting it over the wall.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, Brian, good luck to be safe on the road all that stuff. Keep eye on eye on what's going on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Guys, Brian Peterson from from I was going to say, go visit him at.
Speaker 3: As he doesn't smart. Okay, breaking come back.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now, take look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Lout it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 5: Arizona Health, Arizona Health, Arizona Health, of.
Speaker 3: Course to feel better and look better.
Speaker 13: It makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health from leading edge and exercise Equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 9: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about your answering to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PEMA dot edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 2: Hey Tucson, Steve Rivera here and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Temple or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment? Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 13: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the lead in an exercise reportment on twenty seconds just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 14: Craving Tucson's best burger, the Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 8: At Pyramid Federal Grandit Union.
Speaker 15: We believe the less is more. Let's pieas need more money in your pocket, Let's have sole means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less is More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum Permit Federal Credit Union, where less is More federally insured and by NCUA, an equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rovera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app just search Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to IM about here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, Your Troy Where you from?
Speaker 3: Go easycats dot com, Trey Henjason Ray? Where you from? Monterey, California, mol Rica? Yeah, okay, soon you'll be You're with you with us, with you, I'm with on the ball. Anybody want to call? Who's your chance?
Speaker 2: Five two oh four one six seventy four forty it's Monday. Hear it from you, guys.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 2: One of the things we did you to talk about because it was Friday, it was the softball which with the Texas Tech in Texas Decanti, who's the A D there former assistant ad here champion in softball.
Speaker 3: Uh, she got rocked man right away. It was crazy.
Speaker 2: She got corrupt and you could. We talked about were you here Thursday? What day were you were here? I was here Monday, Monday, So we talked about that. She didn't look good Thursday.
Speaker 3: She was there.
Speaker 2: She was getting getting tired. You can see when we're thinking, I'm not sure she can hold it.
Speaker 4: I think I think part of it is tired. She also had that I think she had like a blizzard or something like that. She had some type of issue.
Speaker 2: And then she had just signed, the announcement had come that she had just signed.
Speaker 4: But I think the bigger thing is more than tiredness, because now they have even more games in between, I mean more time off in between, so you it's almost like a regular season. Stretch now is the fact that Texas just saw her. A lot of everybody had a lot of tape on her. They were good, they're very good. At the first game, she blew that game. You're trying to walk a hit her. It made no sense and you throw it right down the middle of that when you only, like Jenny Dalton block uh brought up, you've only walked three players your whole entire career. Good luck the second game, you know, they they kind of figured it out, figured it out at the end of that game Texas, and then they just opened up a huge can in the third game, and it's hard to battle back.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, there was so many runs to do that. But what a good showing by all up. I just really loved watching it this year for some reason. I watched it a few times. Obviously a few times are covered a few times, but it's always fun because these these women are just fantastic.
Speaker 4: Athe I'll say this, and everybody loves college baseball that's going on right now, but the best brand in terms of players at their prime is called softball. You have the best players. You have great defense, great field, and great hitting. Because they're not going off to another.
Speaker 3: Level, although they did have that yesterday. I saw some of that yesterday. Yeah, they have.
Speaker 4: They have the a U s L League going on right now. But you're not seeing the best high school players in a minor league, right You're seeing them develop and play at the highest level in the college softball stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now baseball is kind of intrigued me. It's still the slower game or whatever. It's a faster game now with a pitch county, with up pitchcount, with the speedball, you know, twenty seconds I think.
Speaker 5: Count.
Speaker 3: I'll get that. Yeah, yeah, so it's become more interesting. It's faster. It's faster, yea.
Speaker 4: But the talent level, I don't want to say, it's not what it is. It isn't what it is for softball, and it's not its own fault. It's not college baseball's fault. It's just the way the system.
Speaker 2: So I asked him about extending CHIP. She has probably have to, well not probably has to, but announcement should be coming soon.
Speaker 4: With kaitl Lo, I would assume with Chip, first, what do you mean, I would assume with CHIP, you definitely need to extend Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no question, no question. And how could you not extend Kaitlin obviously, she she finished it was eighteen fourteen, eight forty.
Speaker 3: We talked about this right now. I know you're critical.
Speaker 2: I get it for forty eight to thirteen, yeah, eighteenth, Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 3: I think there's a and it's not just Caitlin.
Speaker 4: Know that I have a few issues well, and Caitlin's a great, good coach, great person, but there's other issues on the staff that needs correcting. Sure, there's recruiting philosophies that need fixing. And when you have a roster that has dwindled to this much, and I know they just got two players that the last couple of days, there's really Yes, well.
Speaker 2: I think Desraey had to deal with this in football right for sure. And we don't know this to be fact, but we had read it on a month ago, which was fantastic. Yeah that Des Ray maybe said you need to make some changes or yeah, I'm just saying it's hard to.
Speaker 4: People want to celebrate the season, but the expectations of the program are what they are.
Speaker 3: Are they realistic though really no no I'm not. I'm not talking about nineties.
Speaker 4: Nineties aren't realistic, but being able that yeah, you can't talk, so at least you stay there. Okay, no, no, that's not what I'm talking about. But the expectation for Arizona in this age of softball, and it's realistic. You should be in a super regional almost every year because because you should be hosting and you should be winning those.
Speaker 2: Because but no, no, no, I think you're that's the reason why you should be in those reasons. Why because you're in Arizona.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, you should have the tent. They don't.
Speaker 4: They don't have the talent to consistently be there, right, and you should, right, But how is how recruit If you don't.
Speaker 2: Have the recruiting, you got to go to the recruit. But my main point is you made your age. I mean no, I'm like seventy years old just listening to you.
Speaker 4: But my main my main point is you should always have within a shot of getting to Oklahoma. I'm not saying you have to win it every year. That's unrealistic. You say there, you have to have a realistic shot of getting there. And to me, this team this year didn't really have a realistic shot unless they had an amazing pitching performance, and.
Speaker 2: They did from time to time, and obviously she was very good and very good. No, I get that.
Speaker 6: I think the.
Speaker 3: Expectations are unrealistic.
Speaker 5: I just do.
Speaker 3: And you've already missed one tournament. M hm. You kind of got.
Speaker 4: You got to a women's College World Series with some luck along the way. I just you have to be at a competitive and competitive place to be able to be in that spot where you are competing to get to a World Series. I'm not saying you have to get to a World Series every year, win a World Series every year. That's long gone, but the beginning of the year you have to have a roster you believe can get to that point, even if it doesn't. The talent has to be there. I just don't feel like the talent levels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I hear you, and I understand what you're saying. I just think it's not realistic.
Speaker 3: I feel like top sixteen, top sixteen would be all right. I think top twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's talking more than that, because that's the top.
Speaker 4: Twelve, top sixteen. You're hosting a regional yep, that's that's the bottom. You should do that every single year. Yeah, if your airs are you should just I think you should be able to compete for a super like hosting a super regional, not saying you have to do it. If you're in that that seven to twelve range, you have a shot at host Let me ask you.
Speaker 3: So, I'm gonna want you to be cant.
Speaker 2: And if I if we asked him that question, I think he'd be diplomatic and see that's not possible. I don't, But I don't because he's got to play both hands. But he's the coach that got in there and did that. But he's also she's her his guy, right, So I don't. I don't think he'd say that candidly if we pose that question. No, I just don't think it's realistic.
Speaker 4: I think I mean, he was able to do it when the game was changing, but it was But I'm talking about no, I'm talking about at the end of his career though.
Speaker 2: Well, because he gets some breaks too. I mean that that time when he got him finally to the again, how relieved that everybody wanting in nineteen could have been nineteen could have been did they go after that?
Speaker 4: They went in nineteen, they went in twenty one and twenty two. Twenty kids, you had to be money twenty one or twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: They got that was when he.
Speaker 4: I mean, they didn't get it. They were on the road the whole time, okay, and they had the people to do it. They had talent, They had seniors that they were ranked top five in the country. They had all those seniors returning. They called them the super Seniors. Remember, they kind of faltered throughout the season, had their struggles and just found a way to get there. And you know when Owens you and the Women's College World Series, But they found a way to get there.
Speaker 2: And I don't I still I'm going to go down to my death with you on this because I just think it's crazy.
Speaker 3: We're budding heads on that one. But young kids don't know enough.
Speaker 4: And with the Condrea question, of course, a coach that picked the coach in waiting this forrman player, top five player in the history of this program, maybe top five player in the history of the sport.
Speaker 3: You're not going to say it's time.
Speaker 2: For no, no, no, no, no no, that's not like my question would be. Uh one, two questions, are fans here realistic about the situation that's going on today to day one?
Speaker 3: And two? Uh?
Speaker 2: Hold on, how would I ask that The next question to your point, can't can it be consistently done?
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 2: Oklahoma, Oh can it? Can it return to the past? That's too unrealistic too. But but how often or what's the realistic expectations of going to the World Series consistently?
Speaker 4: What's the realistic Well, I'm not saying you have to be there every single year, No, no, no, I don't think that's part. But being in a super regional potentially having the right to host. That doesn't mean your hosts were super regional every year, but at least hosting a regional every year with a shot to host a super and being on that competitive balance too, and you might get blown out in some supers.
Speaker 3: It happens. So she's been here four years, right, give me her, give me her resume. When is college World Series?
Speaker 4: The first year, missed the tournament completely, which was the first time in thirty something years in the program.
Speaker 3: Well outside of a year I think there was when he wasn't coaching. Yeah, yeah, no, no, they made the tournament that year. Yeah, but oh you've seen completely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, missed the tournament completely last year, won the regional. I forget they were on the road and then got blown out against Oklahoma State and this year, you know, had a good regular season with the record and everything, and then kind of underwhelming in the regional.
Speaker 2: So you you you watch from Afar, right, you watch from Afar. I don't know her style, don't know her from.
Speaker 3: Adam I did, I did.
Speaker 4: I did cover her her first year completely. Yes, what's your style? I would say she wanted to be aggressive, but they never did that. They said they were going to run, run the bases more, but it's been base to base kind of what's kind of is that's.
Speaker 2: Okay, I get that, But I'm talking to her style in terms of personality.
Speaker 3: I think it. I think she's players coach.
Speaker 4: I don't want to say easy going, but there's this, there's this there's a softness right there.
Speaker 2: Tells me you can't have that. And that's that's the biggest And that's my If that's the case, that's my issue because you can't have that. I don't care if it's women or men. You have to have this firm, firm grip on coach.
Speaker 3: And maybe she is behind closed doors, but we've.
Speaker 2: Seen well, this is a criticism that Tommy gets.
Speaker 4: You know, it's for sure for sure, but I mean we get it, we get more I don't want to say more access, but we're there more than we are at softbare.
Speaker 2: How many times can you continue to get to the sweet sixteen?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Before you say how are you going to get?
Speaker 2: And that's kind of what that's how you're going to be graded for her. This is what her grade is, right sure, and you're saying she's not getting there often enough. Four shots, I'm not sure that's four bullets that you want to you know, four bullets aren't enough bullets.
Speaker 3: No, So we'll see.
Speaker 2: But to that, to that point and the reason I asked this question, I still believe that firm coaches are either are soft in places they need to be soft and tough in places they need.
Speaker 3: To be tough.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, And that's that could be the issue, and I think that's part of it. And developing has been a problem. I know Devin developed, especially after her injuries in terms of in this, but outside of that, we talked about all these high level pitchers that they had come in and maybe there was missues they didn't they never developed. And now I and I used to Silva goes to ASU and again people get to take to social media whatever. But say when you say we weren't allowed to pitch in all four quadrants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well maybe you just weren't good enough.
Speaker 2: Well, because next year if these girls who leave or woman who leave and do really well, guess what, they're a year older. They're a year older. Ye're stronger. You can't compare next year to this year. I mean next year. If you're not a better writer, shame on you, because you're older and you should be better.
Speaker 3: No, I get what you're saying, well.
Speaker 2: He's doing fifteen pounds, Well, because you're a year older.
Speaker 4: I think the issue with the pitching and why you saw all those pictures leave is a player like I used to silver her freshman year. Mind you, she reclassified. She was a year younger than what she should have been. Caame in mid season, pitched around one hundred and thirty innings and this year only only twenty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do they need devine a lot of the times.
Speaker 4: Do they need Yes, yes, but the mindset of we're going to bullpen it and that's going to be our strategy. Now you're always looking.
Speaker 2: For the again, we gotta go. Thank you for joining me today.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know. I haven't asked you this while ast you for the air. Thank you Ray.
Speaker 2: Thursday Thursday, I'm in tomorrow with I'm not sure who.
Speaker 3: Have a good one, guys,