Speaker 1: The first two US deaths related to cyclospora, which has set a panic about lett us happen in the US. In Michigan, sopranos actor Vince past Story, known for playing mobsters and real tough guys, dead at the age of eighty. I'm Kate Delaney. But right at the top, we swing into the rundown here on America tonight. We start first with Iran, because we talked for so long about wow, back at the table, no more attacks. So after calling off a fresh round of strikes against Iran, US President Donald Trump said on Monday that the two sides are yep, talking again. We're trying to wind down the war. So these talks are pretty critical this week, and that would be a month's long conflict. And reviving stalled cargo traffic through the Straight of Warmouse.
Speaker 2: Is the end goal. We all know.
Speaker 1: It's the water, very crucial, where a fifth of all traded oil and natural gas passes it through that and was going along smoothly before the war.
Speaker 2: So there was a big time push.
Speaker 1: For these strikes, these strikes, these strikes, But now all of a sudden there is a diplomatic reprieve. The President had said the negotiation did say rather the negotiations would be the last chance for Iran to forge a deal to reopen the straight and address concerns about the nuclear program. So again, we'll see if this goes anywhere or not, but it is the latest developments that we have in the Middle East, particularly when it comes to what started back in February. Meanwhile, closer to home and on the West Coast, thousands are fleeing Washington State, sad to see all the homes and neighborhoods destroyed and spoke and this man going through what was left of his home said he probably won't return.
Speaker 3: I don't think I'm going to rebuild here because I don't ever want to have to relive a fire coming up this hill again.
Speaker 1: So many firefighters are there on the scene, over four thousand to try to help and put it out. But it's not even at this point, you know, ten percent contained. We're talking about almost eight thousand acres burned and over seven hundred structures just flattened. You look at these neighborhoods that were in beautiful areas that are left with very little, and you see people that are there with rakes trying to find anything that's left of their life. Frankly, maybe they'll find a picture somewhere in the middle of it. Maybe they'll find some kind of family heirloom, just anything that connects them to what use to be.
Speaker 2: So you had people.
Speaker 1: That could at least return to these devastated neighborhoods in the eastern part too of Washington State to find that, Yeah, everything's been leveled by the wildfire. You got yards and yards that are charged in debris. In some cases, you have just the chimneys that are left standing.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: In the end, the good news.
Speaker 1: Is that we're not talking about how many people have died. You know. We're seeing the blackened cars and the boats that are twisted by the heat and melted plastic, but we're not talking about that. However, there were initially a lot of calls of missing people, like close to three hundred, but the Spokane County Sheriff's office say they did clear almost all of them but fourteen at this hour. So there is some good news when it comes to that. Max Miller, the congressman from Ohio, is under attack for allegations that he has abused his child and had abused his ex wife. In fact, Republican Senator Bernie Moreno of Ohio, who Max Miller is his ex son in law, says that that's happened. So there is a push for Max Miller to drop out of the race, especially with the midterms coming up. Amid these abuse allegations, Miller decided to tell his story on x Here's what he said.
Speaker 5: I have never abused our daughter. Before I go through the facts with you today, understand one thing. Every one of these allegations traces back to a single source, my former wife. I filed for divorce in August of twenty twenty four. That October, she had under oath that I had never harmed our daughter. Every accusation has come since, so ask yourself what is continuing to change?
Speaker 6: Not the facts.
Speaker 5: There's never been evidence of any kind.
Speaker 2: What changed.
Speaker 5: Ladies and gentlemen, were the stakes. The first report came thirteen days after our shared parenting plan was entered. The next one came in February of twenty twenty six, in the heat of our custody fight, days before a court granted me a protection order against her. Her most extreme accusations are the ones that had to deal with child abuse, and they frame me as an abuser timed and every time again to our custody dispute in politics. And not one of these allegations has ever been substantiated by any court or any agency.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he goes on to talk about much more the same thing. There again is still the push for him to drop out so far that is definitely definitely not happening at this point speaking of dropping out or staying in. Republican holdouts say they're going to back Todd blanche for Attorney General after he rescinded Trump's anti weaponization fund. If you remember what that fund was about, that was going to help support nine those that were involved in what happened on the Hill and others of the one point eight billion fund. But after saying that he would rescind that fund, Tom Tillis of North Carolina and John Corny into Texas, who threatened to block his nomination over that agreement, have decided that they're going to move forward in good faith. And part of the argument was, you know, this fund was created as an agreement to settle a lawsuit from the President against the IRS.
Speaker 2: That was you know part of it too.
Speaker 1: And then also the people who claimed they were victims of weaponization by the federal government, including those involved with the January sixth, twenty twenty one US Capital riot. So because that document was released that limits the addendum to that agreement that offers the president members of his family immunity from tax investigations, then that has meant that their blessing, so to speak, is going in his direction. Well, no anyway either way, because the Senate Judiciary Committee will vote on Tuesday on his nomination, meaning he could be confirmed before the Chamber leaves for a five week recess, and then he would be the attorney general roll of the United States. But right now that still hangs in the balance.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Sadly, we've been talking about lettuce and tainted lettuce and the cyclostpora. Two people have died in Michigan from that, and of course if you go to your grocery store, it may depend on where your liver. Maybe not, because there are people who are fearful of eating lettuce period, no matter what if it's tied to tailor farms, which is where it came from, or even illogically thinking no, it could be anywhere. But we do have the first confirmed deaths related to that microscopic parasite, just absolutely awful, right, all right, coming up on the flip and wait, there's more, including tainted water.
Speaker 7: Did you know that healthy arteries make a gas? Yes, actually three known gas is doctor Mitch and nitric oxide is a gas that's readily made all day long to keep our arteries open by relaxing the blood vessel walls. By doing this, our circulation is increased, bringing blood, oxygen, and nutrients to every part of your body. Both age and poor diet can lead to a loss of this precious gas, and in turn, blood pressure can go up, energy can go down, and you can get tingling in your hands and feet. Well, our product, ultimate nitric oxide, can easily help fix this lack of nitric oxide. Go to total Wellness dot com. That's total wellness dot com, where we are helping you to look good, feel good, and enjoy total wellness.
Speaker 6: In today's troubled world. Are USA Armed forces stand ready to protect you, your family, and our American way of life when veterans return to civilian life life. If they deserve your recognition and support, you can help put vets to work by donating your car, truck, or van to patriotic hearts. Your donation will directly support programs to help vets find jobs or even start their own business. Donate today for fast free pickup of your vehicle, running or not. Operators are standing by to answer questions about making a tax deductible vehicle donation. Find out how you can make a difference in the life of the United States veteran. Call eight hundred two zero nine four five eight zero for twenty four hour response call eight hundred two zero nine four five eight zero. Eight hundred two zero nine four five eight zero. That's eight hundred two zero nine four five eight zero.
Speaker 8: Finding great candidates to hire can be like well, trying to find a needle in a haystack. Sure, you can post your job to some job board, but then all you can do is hope the right person comes along, which is why you should try ZipRecruiter for free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash free. ZipRecruiter doesn't depend on candidates finding you. It's powerful technology identifies people with the right experience and actively invites them to apply to your job. You get qualified candidates fast, so while other companies might deliver a lot of hey, ZipRecruiter finds you what you're looking for, the needle in the haystack.
Speaker 9: Four out of five employers who post a job in ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate through the site within the first day. ZipRecruiter the smartest way to hire. And right now you can try ZipRecruiter for free. That's right free. Just go to this exclusive web address ZipRecruiter dot com slash free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash free, ZipRecruiter dot com slash free.
Speaker 1: And wait, there's more cyber attacks on water and wastewater infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Pretty serious threat.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about that, but before we go there, this was a huge story and has been a huge story if you remember the Reflecting Pond and the twists and turns, and they continue as of Monday. Janine Piro, who is the Attorney General in d c Well her Justice Department, submitted a cord filing Friday moving to dismiss vandalism charges against sixty seven year old Olympian former Olympian David Hearn, saying the Interior Department incorrectly attributed damage to the pools lining to vandalism and that evidence showed contractor error and a botched installation were to blame. Needless to say, the president was not happy with her, and I.
Speaker 4: Was just a pointed with Janey Birou, really disappointed with janeit Bierro. She folded like an umbrella, and people get away with things. It's a disgrace. But these monuments look better than they did when they were originally built, not just a little fix up. We made them the way they were plus and everyone's so proud. The biggest one of the bigger jobs was not really the biggest, limit enough, but one of the biggest was the reflecting pool, and we did a great job. So now I'm not saying I was one hundred percent thrilled with the contractor, but the contractor was rushing. We wanted to get it open for July fourth, and we got it done. But in addition, there was vandalism, and we weren't necessarily thrilled with the contractor, but they did a job and they were fixing any problems. But then it got carried away because the judge was extremely unfriendly to Janine, and frankly, I think she choked because the judge was really vicious.
Speaker 1: All right, So the bottom line is the judge said, nope, not enough evidence there, so that was the ruling. Hearn is not being prosecuted for that, and it again was blamed on contractor error. And moving forward, there still is more work to be done there, and you know, ultimately in the past there had been problems with this. We've talked about it on the show. Why is it so hard? It's because of so many things around it and the piping in the you know, the reflecting pond, the Lincoln Reflecting Pond, which is really a beautiful thing between the monuments, but it's very, very very tough to renovate and keep clean. So the idea of doing it was a good one, but not so easy, so flawed work.
Speaker 2: And you hear the presidents say, of course.
Speaker 1: They wanted it done, so it's the rush job on that, and that that was a big, big thing. I think that that happened there for sure. All right. Moved from that to what are of a different sort, water and cyber attacks. There's like seven different states now that are claiming they've had problems. Cyber attacks on water and wastewater infrastructure growing and serious, big time threats, with recent incidents showing that even small utilities can be targeted by sophisticated and you know, potentially state sponsored actors. There's some accusations about Iran being involved in this. So over thirty municipal water systems in Minnesota were hit in a coordinated attack, with similar incidents reported in those other states.
Speaker 2: I mentioned.
Speaker 1: Hackers remotely accessed operational technology systems. They changed passwords and network settings and caused operational disruptions such as pressure loss and flooding, which could allow untreated groundwater into distribution pipes. Some of the utilities had to switch to manual operations and issue boil water notices, not as many as you would think, so luckily there were some backups there, but federal agencies, including the FBI and the EPA weren't of ongoing to ongoing Iranian linked threats targeting Internet connected utility controls. So they're getting in there, and that is to me, that is a very very frightening thing. So the Plymouth, Minnesota town City Public's work Director Works Director Michael Thompson said this how they did shut it down, but they did have concerns.
Speaker 10: About it when an event like this comes up, where we can run in manual operations just to ensure the quality and quantity of water.
Speaker 11: It is not affected, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because that's the key thing, right, you don't want the bad water. But it is high stakes consequences, I would say. But with increasing automation and then these bad actors, it means cybersecurity has to be a top priority, right, has to has to There have to be layers of it, There have to be proactive defenses. If anything, this is a massive warning flag over all of that for all of us, no matter where it is that.
Speaker 2: We live.
Speaker 1: So often you take that for granted, right until something happens. It's like when occasionally the water is not there, you know, when you get up and you're like, whoa, what happened to the water, And the little trickle of brown comes out, and then you start to call your neighbors and find out what's going on. Was the water shut off? Did something happen? Imagine if you're dealing with all of that, all right, it was in and out. That was the tar and that happened over the weekend on Saturday, three dead, seven injured. One man responded by drawing his weapon and going after the shooter. Several others reacted. Here was the sheriff in Idaho talking about in Twin Falls talking about how those brave people really help save so many others.
Speaker 6: These people are true heroes in our community, and their actions diverted the shooter and no doubt saved many lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah see, And here's the thing too. Now at this point, I mean just so.
Speaker 2: Awful.
Speaker 1: Right, You're just going on a Saturday in the afternoon to get a burger from this chain that you're excited about because people have been talking about it forever, and then it's only been up for a week in Twin Falls, and all of a sudden, you got this twenty four year old Chad Williams who ultimately shot and killed himself, but he starts to shoot.
Speaker 2: At the cars.
Speaker 1: It was a mass shooting at a fast food restaurant leaving people dead. Wow, I mean a driver charging his electric taxi, a former law enforcement officer who tried to intervene.
Speaker 2: When all of that was going on.
Speaker 1: And so now the question becomes what about Williams and what about what happened and how crazy that was where people scattered and we're trying to make sense of what was going on. Listen to this one woman's description.
Speaker 5: It was just mass chaos.
Speaker 10: The attention was everybody running from in and out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they still can't determine what that was about. It was a busy shopping plaza, and details about the twenty four year old's life still a little bit unknown at this point. There was a search of court records of course in Idaho and Arizona, where he used to live, didn't show any criminal cases that match up with him. But that doesn't mean anything at this point. And once again, you know, you look for people who knew him, and what do they say, Oh, it seemed like a nice guy. He's pretty chill guy and never worried about him and none of that. You know, people that lived near him. One guy who lived across the hall from him in a college, the College of Southern Idaho and a dorm said, yeah, it seemed pretty nice. Nobody, nobody was worried at all. And they're shocked and sick to their stomach about it. So, and like I said, you had the big thing was during the attack and off duty state trooper and then the civilian firing on him that diverted him from the restaurants. So they definitely, I think, really saved people. There was a vigil that's planned for Tuesday night at the Twin Falls City Park while all of this is unpacked and people.
Speaker 2: Tried to.
Speaker 1: You know, how do you come to grips with that? But they try to figure out maybe what the motive is that kind of thing. And I mean, it's too late now for those that were killed. But again, luckily with the quick thinking of others, we could have been talking about a much higher number.
Speaker 2: That is boy, that is for sure.
Speaker 1: Hey coming up on the show, just so you know, we've got Bank of America giving us the last push for the summer ways that you can save money with your credit cards.
Speaker 2: So what are you doing? What are you doing there?
Speaker 1: And then also that you got your thoughts with the mail bag and the pre market belt was actually a pretty good day on the street and with oil. And that's because right now there's more of that conversation when it comes to Iran over diplomacy, wrapping this thing up, and whenever the news is what positive that means in the world's largest crap table on the markets probably going to see a better reaction.
Speaker 2: So the reaction was pretty good.
Speaker 1: That's the good that's the good news there.
Speaker 2: That's the best I can say. Right I watched that like.
Speaker 1: A hawk to see where oil is and to give us a better sense of all right, maybe this is going to be a pretty decent week, you know. So US stocks did rally near a record with the falling oil prices, and so some of the worries about inflation were doused, at least temporarily.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: Look, the SMP jumped one point five percent. Pretty good. All right, stay with us, sheik and Narula joins. So she's been on before. She's fabulous. She's the head of rewards at Bank of America. And guess what we're talking about. This is something I've been having conversations about. In fact, I mentioned something on the air the other day about this. Nearly half of Americans are using rewards to fund summer travel. Are you doing that? She could? Thanks so much for coming on.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, it's my pleasure, Kate.
Speaker 1: So what trends are you seeing this year when it comes to how people are planning those summer travel, making those travel plans, and spending.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so this summer we're seeing Americans are saying yes to travel. Our survey found that seventy seven percent of Americans are planning to travel this summer. So what that tells you is that despite many Americans cutting back on their spending, travel has actually become a regular part of that of their budgets, and that's something people are planning around. And of course there's a lot of excitement major events and experiences like the series FIFA World Cup. Not only are people saying they'll travel, but they're also planning to head out of the country. So while domestic travel remains the most popular choice, we're seeing interest in international travel has increased year over year. And then what we're seeing is Americans are chasing values and experiences while on a trip. So the dominant philosophy in twenty twenty six is make it worth it. So while they want to stay within their budget, when they choose to splurge, it is on things that they'll remember, like dining, activities and experiences. So those are some of the travel trends from the summer.
Speaker 1: What are the best travel savings hacks that you can tell us about for the summer.
Speaker 12: It all starts with setting a very clear budget before you book anything, so you know what your boundaries are and within that then you can prioritize what matters most to you, so lock in those musters those must have and then you can die back a little bit on those splurges that may be a little less important to you. The second thing is flexibility is always your friends, So use flexible dates for flights, look at hotels that have free cancelations so you can rebook in case the price drops. The same flexibility applies to how you travel, so shorter, more frequent micro trips, micro vacations. That's a growing trend ver seeing the gen zs. And then last we tap into rewards. Rewards are a very smart way to offset costs without taking on new debts, so make sure you're building rewards into your plan from the beginning.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: Are there notable differences across generations and how people are using rewards and managing their summer travel spending? Invention something even there?
Speaker 12: Yeah, so gen Zs, there's some very pronounced differences we're seeing with them. We know nine in ten gen Zs are planning a trip, which is significantly higher than millennials than an average traveler. But what's interesting is how each generation makes those trips count. So while gen z is known for event driven travel, it's actually millennials who are perfecting the art of travel stacking. So that's when they try to fit multiple experiences in a trip. So they might be going for a live event, but then they'll extend that trip and make a longer vacation out of it so they can get more value from the flight that they're going to take. But where gen Zs are truly standing out is how they're choosing to pay for travel. Rewards has become a fundamental part of their travel budget. They are embracing it. Eighty percent of gen Zs are planning to use rewards to fund their travel, compared to sixty percent of millennials. So for gen Zs, rewards are a core budgeting tool for their travel needs.
Speaker 2: So what type of.
Speaker 1: Rewards are available for people planning that summer trip on a budget. I'm visualizing some of them and I know some of them, but I know you know it's on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there's a.
Speaker 12: Wide range of rewards that are available to people. Start by exploring the perks that might be available from your bank to make travel more seamless. So Bank of America we just launched a new no feed loyalty program called Bovat Rewards that offers a variety of travel benefits discounts savings, and we've seen overwhelming response from our clients to the program. The program focuses directly on what travelers value mode. So the number one thing that travelers ask for is credit card rewards bonuses, followed by personalized cashback deals. BofA Rewards incorporates both of those benefits, where you get an automatic booster of ten to seventy five percent of credit card rewards bonus on top of the rewards that you already earn on your eligible credit card. So that's a great way to maximize your rewards. And then on top of that, it offers deals on fifteen thousand brands, which includes brands for hotels, car rental. And then there's lifestyle benefits which are available to our highest tier members where you can get you know a range of premium experiences like luxury trip planning planning through in the gare so you know, take advantage of bank loyalty program like the Awair awards.
Speaker 1: So how can people make the most chika of the loyalty programs when planning the summer summer travel? And you really have told us so much that's invaluable.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So I think the key strategy here is to layer words and discounts from multiple loyalty programs. So start with the travel loyalty programs, the airline you're going to use, the car rental company, the hotel, make sure you're signing up for their free loyalty program. That's your foundational layer. On top of that, pick the right credit card that will help you maximize rewards. So as an example, Bank of America's customized Cash Awards card helps new cardholders earn six percent cash back in one of the six categories each month, which includes travel. So look at how you can maximize your rewards on the credit card and then let it in the bank loyalty program. Like we just talked about Bavate Awards so that you can get even more credit card awards bonus cash back deals. It has fraud and identity monitoring so that you get the peace of mind when you're traveling. So you know, make sure you're taking advantage of all of this and planning for it before the trip even starts.
Speaker 1: She can a ruler, thank you so much, Head of Rewards at Bank of America or else Can we go for more information?
Speaker 12: Yeah, So for more information on Bavata words, you can visit bava dot com, forward slash ba beta words and you'll see a belt of information there.
Speaker 1: All right, all good advice because if you're going to use credit cards, she's right know what it is that you're getting in return, since usually there's some kind of program that's attached to it. So look for those points, those points, those points. Imagine you put a bottle in the water with a message in it and let it float away, and then it turned up fifty three years later. Yeah, Alison Spencer didn't have to imagine that. In August of nineteen seventy three, during a family vacation in Ocean City, New Jersey, it is a mic drop moment. Nine year old Lorie Blair Brown and her sixteen year old sister Alis and Spencer were sent to the beach with a challenge. Rite a message in a bottle cast it into the ocean. So they did just that. Fifty three years later in June of this this past June this year, John Cotterman was in the wetlands in Upper Township, New Jersey.
Speaker 2: And he found the bottle and he pulled out the message.
Speaker 1: It was well written for a sixteen year old, and it was help. We were in shark infested waters. It was like a funny little thing, and he put it on Facebook. Eight hours later found the person that it belonged to, this Alison Spencer. She said she felt it was pretty miraculous because it was a reminder of her sister's humor. Her sister had died back in twenty seventeen from cancer, so here this kind of reminded her of a really fun thing as a kid.
Speaker 2: What a great story.
Speaker 1: And this story is an example of how a weird childhood prank resurfaces what five plus decades later, and it bridges the past and the president. It's like the past and the president. It comes full circle. I don't know, I thought it was I thought it was pretty cool. You know, that's on message in a bottle. That's just was going through my head when I heard about that story. All Right, do you know anyone celebrating a birthday? Are you celebrating a birthday? If you are, happy, Happy birthday to you.
Speaker 9: We do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do it birthdays.
Speaker 2: Tom Brady.
Speaker 1: Wow, Tom Brady is forty nine years old. You know, I knew he was kind of in that ballpark, but forty nine years old, we all know his story he spent twenty seasons with the New England Patriots and that what a dynasty. That was. His final three seasons he played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Now you catch him on the tube as he is part.
Speaker 2: Of an announcing team, and.
Speaker 1: You know he pops up sometimes on commercials and in other places too as well. I think everybody knows Tom Brady at this point and they know his story. I mean, look, he was the oldest Super Bowl MVP at the age of forty three, and who's the oldest quarterback selected at the Pro Bowl at the age of forty four seven times? Winning the Super Bowl seven times? That is a really incredible legacy. Is he the goat? Martha Stewart is eighty five years old?
Speaker 2: Hmmm, it's a good thing. Yeah, it is a good thing. Eighty five.
Speaker 1: And it's like she's she's had like three career reiterations, right, so you know who she is. Businesswoman, writer, television personality. That's what you think of as the personality. Right. She had the thing where she was in prison for fraud and was that was back in what two thousand and five seems like one hundred years ago, and that was that whole stock trading thing.
Speaker 2: What a weird blip on the radar that was.
Speaker 1: And you know, at the age of eighty one, just a few years ago, she became the oldest woman to appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit issue. Uh huh so how about that? All right, we have a ub I of the day. You ready for this big announcement. There are one hundred and fifty days left officially in the year Party horns a new Year twenty twenty seven, one hundred and fifty days away from that. Are you already thinking of resolutions?
Speaker 2: I hope not.
Speaker 1: By the way, if you miss anything, you can always catch it. Kate Delaney Radio with Extra Sauce, This Sauce Again. Kate Delany Radio with Extra.
Speaker 2: Sauce, This Sauce.
Speaker 1: Just go to Apple Spotify download the podcast. It's got the cherry picked highlights from the show so you can catch up with everything your thoughts.
Speaker 10: Next with the mailbag, Carla Mauri here to tell you about our newest website for old time radio lovers. It's one hundred Radio Shows dot Com. At this site there are five old time radio shows waiting for you to download free as our gift to you, and be sure to browse the additional seven hundred old time radio shows available to you for seventy percent off by using the promo code Radio at checkout. This is a limited time offer, so log down to one hundred radio shows dot com. That's one zero zero radio shows dot com.
Speaker 13: At Hotshot Secret, we share the science behind common diesel problems, for example, fuel additives. Most fuel additives either impact performance or provide protection. Hotshot Secret Everyday Diesel Treatment provides both performance enhancement and fuel system protection. Everyday Diesel Treatment delivers a six and one premium fuel treatment for every fill up, every time. Every Day Diesel Treatment is available at truck stops, tractor Supply, O'Reilly's Autoparts, and online at Hotshotsecret dot com.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm Brandt and her name is Sherry he loove. She's a friend of mine who we were just praying for because of a surgery. She just went through.
Speaker 11: Yes, and I am very happy about something you actually talk about all the time, which.
Speaker 3: Is meta share.
Speaker 2: That is right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So what was your experience like with meta share and healthcare?
Speaker 12: A boo?
Speaker 11: Honestly, Brandt seamless and what a blessing that is when you're already nervous about a health issue, which I was. Members shared my expenses. There were zero problems. And let me tell you, having people pray with you when you call in with your need that is just.
Speaker 3: Yes, refreshing.
Speaker 11: Yes, that's what it is.
Speaker 3: I keep telling people people love meta share and they love saving money. The typical family can save five hundred dollars a month.
Speaker 11: I am very thankful for meta share. It is so different, and I mean different in a very very good way.
Speaker 3: It is good different.
Speaker 6: Call now.
Speaker 3: They're easy to talk to and you can get a price within two minutes. Call eight five five share forty. That's eight five five s h a r E forty eight five five share forty.
Speaker 8: Finding great candidates to hire can be like well, trying to find a needle in a haystack. Sure you can post your job to some job board, but then all you can do is hope the right person comes along, which is why you should try zip recruiter for free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash free.
Speaker 9: That's right free, the smartest way to hire. Just go to this exclusive way have address ZipRecruiter dot com slash free. That ZipRecruiter dot com slash free, ZipRecruiter dot com slash free.
Speaker 7: In a study, it was found that thirty three percent of forty four herbal supplements had no trace of the advertised herb. Don't let that happen to you. Hi, this is doctor Mitch. If you want to ensure quality, please go to Total Wellness dot com. Supplements made for physicians only now available to you too. Total wellness dot com helping you to look good, feel good, and enjoy total wellness.
Speaker 2: Now let's talk about the mail. Can we talk about the mail?
Speaker 12: Please mac them, we dine and talk about the mail for you all day.
Speaker 14: Okay oo, Yes, thanks to all of you for sending me your thoughts.
Speaker 1: You can do that two twenty four to seven Kate at katealaneyradio dot com. Just click on contact and let it fly like Colin did. He says, Hey, Kate, I know you're a big fan of the Sopranos. I've heard some of the funny drops you've used over the years on your show, and you've talked about before some of the characters, the people that you have interviewed in real life, including Edie Falco, which is pretty cool. Sad to hear about Vincent Pastori dying at the age of eighty. Boy, who could forget some of his memorable lines from those early years in The Sopranos.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you know what.
Speaker 1: I recently is a couple months ago, I went back and I watched the I watched maybe it was the second season. It was it was the second season of Sopranos, which is when he was swimming with the fishes. Eventually because he turned informant and it just ripped up Tony's soprano.
Speaker 2: But just the whole thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's like that iconic moment where they were on the boat and he knows he's going to get it and then you know, they throw him in the water, wrap him up, shoot him and it was just a wild It's just a wild scene. But anyway, Yeah, they confirmed that he was found. The people hadn't heard from him. They found him in his home in the Bronx and he was just, you know, unresponsive. So natural causes is what they're saying. That's what they suspected. And you know, again, he was in a lot of different things, but playing Salvatore bumpin Sero on The Sopranos was probably really the one that so many people know about, know about him and know him from because he was larger than life in that like he was like sort of one of those you have the main character, but the main character had somebody who was right there with him, and I think he was. He was one of those guys that was right there with him. All Right, we moved to this one from Joseph who is listening to US News Talk eight three to o WCCO in Minneapolis. All this talk about water and the cyber attacks and breaking in, finding out passwords, changing things. I mean, this is the world we live in right now. With everything pretty much AI and so many systems that are computerized, there is ultimately the need for the human element. And I don't think that's missing when it comes to public water works, but it is a big warning as to backups and backups and other ways to really really be on top of any kind of security when it comes to computerize anything.
Speaker 2: And this is just.
Speaker 1: Another big, big example of it, because who wants to wake up and find out that the water is completely messed because it's been hacked into by another country. Yeah, I like the umbrella term messed. It's messed, but yeah, absolutely I mean, look, we saw that with worried about the electric grid, worried about when we see this with companies when they pay ransoms because they it's been taken over, their system has been taken over. And yeah, absolutely, there's a lot of things to be really concerned about and to watch.
Speaker 2: And I think that's it.
Speaker 1: You pull that away from how important water is, water, anything critical, infant structure, any of that. Right, All right, so let's move along to another one. This one is from Bradley who's listening to US News Talk ten AM, ninety four point five FM and one four point something on four point something FM, and that is in Tampa. No, it's one O four point one anyway, Brad says, hey, Kate, I have been listening to you the last couple of weeks. But you know this thing with the shooter in and out, and this then brings to mind when people start to talk about guns. Here you have this good samaritan, a private citizen who was a good shot, knew what he was doing tow his way around a gun, who saw the suspect aiming a rifle at passing cars, and then he gets out and confronts them. Thank goodness, Right, because he was methodically going through those cars, according to the people that were there, and when the guy who had the gun and knew what he was doing got out and decided to chase after him, that changed things because now he has somebody that's after him, and who knows how many people that were in the cars that were stuck on top of each other at the in and out burger were saved as a result of that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I totally agree.
Speaker 8: You know what the I was.
Speaker 1: Reading the story about him too, Jordan Salinis, and he talked about it. He said he saw him being very calm. He said, that's what he noticed, and that all of a sudden, when shots were fired in his direction, then it was then he wasn't comfortable.
Speaker 2: Then he started to move and things change.
Speaker 1: So that's all that, as he described it, Bravado crumbled because, yeah, he was the guy with the gun where everybody else is sitting duck. Now he's got other people that are right on top of him, and then he later dies from a self in that whole moment, a self inflicted gun wound. So yeah, I think those actions drove the suspect from the scene and prevented what could have been more casualties.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, you already had three people that died, seven others that were injured, and you have some of them that are too critical conditions so they're not even out of the woods yet. And yeah, it's a terrible you know, it's a terrible, terrible thing, a chaotic instance that nobody wants to face, including the police who arrive on the scene. They don't want to get those nine to one one calls where there's screams and gunfire in the background and it's an active shooter and then you say where is it? And it's at the in and out Burger that everybody's talking about in Idaho and the fact that you know, in Twin Falls they were excited about that, and then this is what happens, right, of course, I as move on to another one. This one is from Michael listening to us WG fourteen ninety am and Greenwich, Connecticut. Hey, Kate, so much focus and it should be on what's happening with our country and Iran? What about what's going on with Ukraine and Russia. Well, you know what one thing that's happening is there's been Russia's like launched three hundred and eighty one missiles into Ukraine in July, and the damage has been enormous, you know, with all these different types of missiles that they're using, and the rate was like just over twelve per day something like that. They set all kinds of records for overall number of missiles launched into the country. And that's a big thing. That's happening nightly and sometimes in the daytime, but definitely a.
Speaker 2: Lot at night.
Speaker 1: So, uh, you know, the Ukraine and President Zelenski is saying that they're trying to do everything they can to intercept the Russian missiles, particularly the ballistic kind, because of the way they fly and the angles that they attack, it's difficult to uh, you know, it's difficult to shoot them down.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you asked that question.
Speaker 1: Because this is the war that will never end, too, right, how long has this been going on? Right when it first started, too, I can remember, the thought was, Okay, hopefully this isn't gonna be long. There was all kinds of opinions about jumping in and what's going to happen, and you know, the Patriot is the Ukraine's most prompt you know, probably potent I should say weapon in that whole weird chess cat and mouse game with Russia, and they're constantly both sides adapting to figure out what the.
Speaker 2: Edge is over the other.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean after visiting the White House, was it just a week or so ago? Zelenski said Ukraine was seeking the delivery of another three hundred Patriot Interceptor missiles because they needed to bolster their defenses before the winners. So they're just planning them this that this is just going on. There's not a lot of conversation about, oh, there's there's a way out of this, that we're going to find this common ground we're going to figure No, there's not even conversation about that.
Speaker 2: Now at all.
Speaker 1: It's just about, you know, how do you live under this constant shelling and the explosions and the pain of all of this, and that's what it is. So yeah, great, great thing to bring up. Yeah, definitely, all right, Max listening to us in New Orleans w G S O nine ninety a M.
Speaker 2: Kate, So what about the markets.
Speaker 1: The market's really bounced back, So that's a good sign, I would say, when it comes to what we're seeing with the Ron come flicks every time that happens, oil goes in a much different direction, in.
Speaker 2: A better direction.
Speaker 1: It may mean that we'll get a reprieve at the pomp. Yeah, oil is right now at eighty one dollars twenty two cents. The Dow futures, it's up twenty seven percent point twenty seven percent, SMP up point twenty three percent, Nasdaq futures up zero point thirty nine percent.
Speaker 2: Very very good to bring that up too as we watch the markets.
Speaker 1: Thanks to the Minnesota
Speaker 2: Two and all of you for listening to this hour.