Speaker 1: You'll be go me beer. It's the internet. You're busy. Let's do this for January sixth, twenty twenty four. For the next hour or so, let me help you sort through the world of gaming on Game Mess Mornings Live with me Jeff Grubb. Today, the holiday break is really over now, and you could tell because we have news on switch to a new Xbox, a new Minecraft, and new old games from PlayStation. But first, please join me in welcoming today's co host the Game Mess Mornings. It's Jason Finale. Everybody. Jason, how are you doing. I am great. I am refreshed after a nice winter break with the family doing family things. I am ready for more Switch to edging until they finally release this thing.
Speaker 2: It's been good. I'm very excited about the prospect. We talked about this before we got the show of that team on my wall and that team on your shirt meeting in the semifinal before the Super Bowl. That is quite a prospect. It has me very excited.
Speaker 1: Yep, it seems plausible. Definitely seems plausible. Boy, I am not refreshed. I went to the Sunday night football game last night in Detroit. I drove up there went with my brothers and it was fantastic. It was awesome, But it was the Sunday night football game were I was not counting on that when I was we first was like we were, hey, let's get tickets and let's go. I'm like, yeah, sure, like it'll be afternoon game whatever. I'll just drive home that evening. We'll get some dinner. Nope, Sunday night football. And I woke I woke up, took care of a bunch of stuff because there's like a million things I was planning to take care of on the break Jason, and of course I got to like half of them, and so I'll take care take care of some of this stuff. And then I go to get in the van to go and it won't start. It just it won't start. The van's been so reliable recently, but I think it's just a little too cold. I just ran to Walmart real quick out of battery, swapped it out. Uh you know, I gotten the Prius to do that, and I wasn't able to start the van. So I got in the prius, got the battery, got it in there. So I'm like running late, didn't have to. I didn't eat all day. Basically it was Yeah, I was like, ran up there.
Speaker 2: I bet you weren't exactly responsible in the stands. Z.
Speaker 1: It was not responsible in the stands. I had so many gay bud lights. It was incredible. Uh. It was a good That was a good time. Uh. And then get to the game and I'm like, man, this could go bad, like the defense has been bad recently, and it was instead, it was awesome. They killed it. But as soon as as soon as it was over, I'd gotten basically we went. So we walked out to my van. I just drove home that night, got home at like three three thirty. And for you, it's it, you know, from the stadium, it's not bad. It's two hours and fifteen minutes. It's not not the worst, you know. I had to stopp and get gas. I found a Taco Bell that was my first roal meal of the day at one as good.
Speaker 2: Yes always the topical with Jesse Fateeli asking about your h your Taco Bell drive through choices on U Blue Sky yesterday, Yes started a whole discussion there.
Speaker 1: Yep, I went. I got a crunch wrap supreme, something I could eat in the vehicle. So yeah, it was good. It was a good deal, so one couldn't sleep so because I was pretty excited about you know, the days, the day's events, and then also just the really terrible sleep schedule because of this vacation, because of this break. So yeah, I'm wiped out, but I gotta say pretty excited to come back and talk about video games with you, Jason.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am excited to talk about video games with you too. I understand the whole What do schedule things for yourself to do over the break and not actually get any of them done? I don't know if you could see behind me here. I don't know how I'm framed, but this is my I meant to I meant to sort this magic the Gathering collection, and I got about believe it or not, that's more than halfway through. So still working on it. Still have still have piles to go through, but we're slowly getting through it. But no, we did family stuff. We had a good time, so it was worth not getting that done.
Speaker 1: I probably should like because I mentioned on social media that I was on a train that derailed, people probably are wondering about that.
Speaker 2: Yes, let's talk about this please. I also need to know what a winking lizard is oh whatever is called. But but so so was it like a Polar Express type deal.
Speaker 1: It was a Polar Express type deal. Yeah, it's it's you know, it's for entertainment purposes, not for actual travel purposes. You know. We they you get on the train in one part of Cuyahoga Scenic Valley whatever it's called, and and then it drives you to the other side, you know, you to train you to the other side, and then suddenly you're in the North Pole. You you went all the way to the North Pole and you get to see Santa and stuff like that, and uh, yeah, it is We've done it before.
Speaker 2: It's supposed to be.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of fun. As we were pulling in, it got very bumpy and weird, and I grab the kids, thinking the worst was happening, and uh the train slowly started to tip over, but thankfully before the worst could happen. Uh, it came to a stop. You know, we're going slow, but cause we're gonna slowly go past you know, Santa and the elves and then Santa's gonna get on the train. So it was already slowing down. So it's like, you know, five miles per hour, so it was not ever at like some risk of you know, derailing and then you know traveling, yeah, half a mile into the woods or something like that. No, yeah, but you know, the thing really could have tipped over. That was That was the thing I was like pretty worried about because we're we're at a table and the table's not bolted down. It's just gonna slide across, and you know, there's another family on the other side with third table, and it's like things would have just gotten smashed together. But at the end of the at the end of the thing, it tilted about ten percent to the side, ten degrees to the side, i should say, and that you could feel that, and that was weird. We had to basically walk off of our our train car onto some of the other ones that were not derailed, and they were gonna have us wait there until buses came to pick us up because they weren't gonna be able to get it back onto the train tracks. And instead they give us the option like, hey, we are at this you know part of town. There is like some ways to get an uber here. Do you want to do that? Like we are we're getting off, uh, and we're gonna do that. We're gonna figure it out. And thankfully, as we were getting off, they were like, hey, there is a winking lizard, which is basically like a BW three's it's it's a B dubs. Okay, Yeah, so you know, food and beer, got a lot of beers on tap. It's a nice place. The kids and Steph went in there, stuff, got a beer, they hung out, I got an uber, went and got in the van, came back and picked them up, and it worked out fine. We were home and safe and warm by about twelve thirty one am, and the people that were still on the train were still on the train at that point. So yeah, it was like but buses were coming slowly. I think they had like two buses for about six hundred people.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was was somebody on the naughty list, Like what the hell?
Speaker 1: You know? I think it could have been me. I think it was uh, I think I think it was a PlayStation. I think it was or maybe maybe Nintendo trying to wipe me out, you know, switched to huh. Yeah, the Nintendo jail, forget that. Nintendo execution is what they're.
Speaker 2: Judge jury and execution. Jeez, Well, I think I will speak for myself and everyone on the chat right now to say, it is good to see you in uh, one piece, even if the train almost did not get you that way, your mind might not be in one piece. But that's the lion's fault.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that has nothing to do with the train. Absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But are the kids like okay, you know, they definitely were like, well, that that was un you know, satisfactory. That's kind of how they're looking at it. STEP's a little bit more like, hey, we might not do that next year. Yeah, I get it, that's what.
Speaker 2: That's what my wife, who also named Steph ironically would I think all wives are named Steph, yours mine, everyone, huh. And now she's upstairs wondering what the hell is he saying about. But yeah, my wife be like, we're never doing that again, like never, not even once.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And that's just how it's going to be. And if you like the train before, have those memories, that's it. This is the memory I'm going to stick with. Fuck that train, uh huh.
Speaker 1: I guess it's worth pointing out that was the last train ride of the season that they were doing that we were on and it's the only time. That's the only time it's ever derailed.
Speaker 2: It's to finish line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, so very very strange. But uh, hey, no harm, noough fault. You know, six hundred people in there. No one got hurt.
Speaker 2: So that's that that part, if it's going to happen, that being the end result, you can only be thankful or grateful for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it has maybe want to like look into like what try like mitigation trains have for for tipping over, because it's like, I wonder if it's you know, they built it all the weight really is kind of between those two wheels, so it's actually very hard for them to tip to tip over because that's what it felt like. It's like, I'm surprised this thing didn't just go but maybe, you know, maybe they're engineered that.
Speaker 2: What Yeah, if you if you look into that, let me know. Because the CSX freight line is right on the other side of the street. I just want to I just want to know what I have coming to me.
Speaker 1: God forbid, let's explain what we do here. Most weekday's I Jeff Grubb will help ease your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting for all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. You're watching live on Twitch Welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game Mes Mornings, or find the RSS on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Hello Hello, YouTube YouTube Real quick before you get started. Peka Blue in the chat said, all moms are Karen at all wives or stuff.
Speaker 1: That show. Really, that's incredible. That shirt will be in the story by at the end of the day, everybody. Yeah, uh, all right. We should start here with Nintendo Switch to Joycon images apparently emerge could tease unexpected new feature. This comes from Evan Campbell at GameSpot Drip Drip Drip. The Nintendo Switch two leeks keep coming and as this time, unconfirmed images of a real retail model left Joycom for the upcoming console appeared online over the weekend. In addition, fans believe they've discovered they've discovered an unexpected feature for the new joy Cons after pouring over pictures. This would include mouse functionality. The three new switch to joy cons after excuse me, the three new switch to joy Con images popped up on Reddit over the weekend, allegedly from a Chinese factory. Let me turn on headlines. Well I'm talking here, excuse me, allegedly from a Chinese factory, showcasing a black controller with a light blue interior. VGC then reported that ego eyed fans believe they've spotted an optical sensor on the side of the joy Con, sort of on the interior where maybe the L and R buttons were hiding before. Okay, that would mean the controller could function like a PC mouse, offering a new method to play Switch two games. Supposedly shipping data for switch to also points to mouselink functionality, per another Reddit post. So it's not just the optical sensor that is kind of convincing people. That's not what convinced me. I'm like, oh, you know, there was that little ir camera on the bottom of the joint con for the switch one. Maybe it's like some new version of that. But there are these little pads at the top and the bottom of that interior on the same side as the sensor that look like the kinds of pads that you have on the bottom of a mouse so that it slides along a surface. So I'm at that point, I'm like, oh, they built a mouse into the switch the switch to. That is pretty clever. Now, what are your expectations Let's just assume that this is what's happening. What are your expectations for what mouse functionality on the switch to could enable? Could empower could make use.
Speaker 2: Of the long awaited revival of Mario Paint.
Speaker 1: I mean right, it's like, for me, that's the first place I go to. Yeah, I get that, like, yeah, oh, first person shooters and rts and stuff like that. People starting to think of them, Like, eh.
Speaker 2: It's Nintendo. I don't think of shooters When I think a Nintendo. I think of weird painting software for your Super Nintendo with a music box feature that I spent way too much time playing as a kid. Yeah, that's that's that's what I think of. So yeah, I mean also too, the article mentioned the Lenovo Legion Go. That's the first thing I thought totally because that little mouse pad on the right hand side. I yeah, it sounds to me like they want to get into more creative software because the controller, Like I've been playing a lot of Minecraft. Ever since the Girl's got Switches for Christmas, Minecraft has been what they've been playing together. And I played that on PC a little bit before I played it on the Switch, And for me, it's just and I don't say this about many games, but keyboard and mouse on Minecraft just makes more sense to me, like being able to move the blocks around and be more creative, a little more precise. So if they're gonna like maybe have an enhanced Minecraft or this Mario Paint like I'm saying it, just it sounds like they're not. They're gonna have a whole wing of creative like I should say, user generated creative games, like like a Mario Paint or something like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's something that they have a history of of doing. After Mario Paint, they had a suite of Mario Creative Tools Mario Creative Cloud for the sixty four d D in Japan, and you know, they haven't done a ton of stuff like that since then. But you've got the sense that there was always a curiosity of from Nintendo to explore these ideas in more detail, and they were just like, you know, it turns out maybe the console isn't the best way to do that, but now it maybe maybe it could be it could be something where it's like people get their hands on the joy Con and they're just using the mouse, and like I'll demonstrate, I guess for people watching the video, I'll try to walk it through. Basically, it's like, you know, this is the surface is the joy Con, and I'm holding the left JOYCN and like again, I'm putting the ridge side, the side that connects to the switch on the ground, and then you'd have the two mouse buttons here. You'd have a left and right mouse, and just like this, it feels fine. You know, I bet it'd be uncomfortable for long periods of time if you were like doing a ton of like like shooter games or something like that. But for like sitting back and making something in Mario paint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what else too. As you're doing that, I'm imagining one on either side, I'm getting like steel battalion vibes, so like an ACE combat or like at some sort of flight sim or or vehicle simulation where you're doing you're doing clutches and and and maybe even like a motorcycle type of thing that you might really.
Speaker 1: Be onto something there actually that makes a ton of sense for like the way Nintendo would want to like do something yeah rio part Yeah, I mean with that Yeah, I mean you're you're right low like turning that into a throttle on Like it's like you know, I I My expectation Jason for something like this is that Nintendo does it includes features that support this in many of their games, and then third party it is here is a mouse pointer if you want it in your game. Like that's how these Ninteno gimmicks normally go.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 1: But you know, as someone who's like been looking at switch to for a long time and as we all have been been waiting to see, like Okay, what is going to be the thing, I don't think this is like the thing the thing. I think this is like a part of a suite of gimmicks that they're gonna have for the switch It's a thing. But I'm like, yes, this is a pretty good one. I think they could. You know, it can serve some like just very basic functionality. It can make it so like something like a Mario Pyton can return Like okay, I like both of those things, and then it also could have the wild sort of gimmick side of things where Nintendo's like, here's a bunch of new motion control stuff you do because this thing is it's got a gyro, it's got an accelerometer, and it's got an optical mouse thing. This gives us a lot of points of information to maybe give you some really cool interactive futures in a bunch of our weird games from our weird studios. Yeah, I think that checks a lot of boxes there. So I'm a fan of this idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like it too, And it's the kind of out of the box thought that when they announce it at first, I'd be like, Wow, that doesn't that's very surprising. But when they get the console in my hand, I'm like, why hadn't anybody thought of this before? Yeah, I feel like that the switch in general was that last time. This time this seems like a proper iteration. Uh. But yeah, I'm I'm very like the more I think about it, this has, the more applications this could have. And we're not even thinking of the potential gimmicks that they would use this technology for in a three D Mario space or in the next Zelda, because I'm sure they're already thinking of something to do now. I hope it's not like dowsing in Skywards Sword because who wants.
Speaker 1: To do that, right exactly?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, but if they can find something fun to do with this, yeah, I dig it.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Also, Marino in the chat said the forbidden words wave race that that would be nice.
Speaker 1: But because you feel like treat that as a throttle, you could even like maybe turn it sideways.
Speaker 2: Because your thumb that's where F zero has been.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, because like your thumbs rest, Like if you turn it sideways, your thumb rest right here on these buttons.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, you're still holding it down, ye holding.
Speaker 1: You just hold it like reverse, like with the analyg stick out by your fingers, and then yeah you could oh yeah that would be cool. O.
Speaker 2: Wait hey Jeff, come on now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh the reverse hand. You know it's a call. It's called the Stranger I think. Yeah. Wow. Man, it took one episode back in twenty twenty five, which, by the way, I did say twenty twenty four when we started the show. So uh huh, there's your one. Everybody gets one. I'm gonna have like twelve. It's gonna happen for the next two weeks. But I'll fix it, fix it eventually. All right, let's let's move along here. I dropped this one in here. Uh oh okay, the trailer job dropped twenty minutes ago, confirming Fantastic Four in Marvel Rivals. So actually announced I saw the leaked image over the last week or whatever. Who knew that there's no time during that period. Uh, that's true, And my thought was, holy crap, these characters look incredible. Honestly, maybe the best the fine for the Fantastic Four has ever looked. I mean, I think this is one of the strengths of Marvel Rivals is every character looks incredible, looks so awesome, and there's that there's no that that it continues to hold true for these Fantastic Four characters, where it's like, yeah, the the thing looks tough as hell, and uh and and you know, Susan, Susan Storm, Miss Miss Fantastic looks incredible as well, Like just across the board, they all look just hot and it's very exciting. And that's a game that I've enjoyed playing. You can imagine some ways where like the powers will work, but it's like, I kind of trust this studio to make a bunch of fun characters. And it's also like, man, four new characters in one drop, just ready to go. Also like four new characters from like a collective a team, so it's like they're gonna have maybe similar theming. But you get why that makes sense for Marvel Rivals, a game that has those synergistic features where if you do have multiple characters on a you know, in a comp that all that are thematically associated with one another, they often get bonuses that enable them to do something together. So it's like, why not drop them all together so people can get used to like using them all at once. And it's like, man, I kind of want to go play more Marvel Marvel Rivals to enjoy some fantastic four What do you think?
Speaker 2: I think dropping them all at once is really cool. Now you said they are four separate characters, Like, there's not a I haven't watched Trailia yet. I only saw that that you know what I'm assuming.
Speaker 1: So because it's like you know there are there's like Cloak and Dagger or whatever that they have.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that'd be a wild like ice climber situation.
Speaker 1: I think these are also separate characters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if Honestly, if they all have different like archetypes, but they can synergize together like you said, then I worry if they become overpowered and the meta just becomes flooded with uh Fantastic four. Now, I have not played Marvel Rivals yet. It is downloaded on my Legion Go. I just haven't had a chance to sit down and play it. Since I completely agree with you though about the character designs themselves. There are a couple of weird ones Wolverine sticks out, but ultimately sit down at they are fantastic. I love everyone that I've seen. They all just look so damn cool. I wish they look like that in comics or other video games too. These these wou'd be cool with these designs carried off into other places. And the Fantastic Four, based on that teaser image that you were mentioning, is no exception. They look awesome. But as far as how they're going to play, oh, here's the trailer now, Thank you appreciate that. I suspect of the four of them, I will use thing because traditionally in games like this, I am like a Riinharden Overwatch player up up in the front tank sort of player that was Dracula too, and that's strange. Never mind it wasn't regular.
Speaker 1: I don't know, probably strange.
Speaker 2: But yeah. But the thing here, if I had to guess which one of the four I'm going to be using, it's going to be him. But no, this is a great chow by. I feel like this game got written off as a Overwatch ripoff, and then all it had to do was come out. Yeah, and it has just really established itself as not just a Overwatch ripoff. But that's definitely Dracula. Wow, Okay, very cool, but as the filler of the void. Yeah right, Like the Overwatch too was on a downswing and Marvel Viles just came in and ate its lunch and that good for them. I hope it keeps going like that. It's gonna get me eventually, like I said, once I finally get some time to sit down and play it, it's gonna get me. But for now, yeah, I'm excited to see more.
Speaker 1: Yeah me too. I think it's like, yeah, people accepted pretty quickly. It's like, yeah, it is an Overwatch rip off. It's shameless and kind of so what At a certain point, it's is it fun or not? And I think people are like, yeah, this is fun. It is completely different characters, It has some of its own charms, even if it's borrowing the vast majority of its charms. You know, people really just want something fun to play with characters that they like and make those characters look cool and strong. And that's what they do here. Look at all these characters look great. They're all caked up, every single one of them. It's just across the board. I think they they've nailed.
Speaker 2: That is That is the I think that's the strong the buffet I've ever seen, mister fantastic. And yeah, the fact that he's giving me a crados vibe with that, with that big old beard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see it totally. Yeah, it's I want to play more Marvel Rivals. All right, let's keep going here with these other stories. Next Xbox rumored to launch in twenty twenty six with new Call of Duty. This is from georgianga game spot. It seems like the next Xbox console might be arriving a little earlier than expected, and it may already have a name. According to Call of Duty leaker the Ghost of Hope, Microsoft is reportedly launching the next Xbox console in twenty twenty six, alongside Infinity Awards next Call of Duty game. The console is reportedly called called Xbox Prime, but it's unclear whether that's the final name or just a code name. The leaker added that Microsoft's rumored handheld will be releasing after the next console, but didn't specify whether that'd still be in twenty twenty six or sometime in twenty twenty seven and beyond. Excuse me. Console generations typically last around seven or eight years, so Microsoft potentially releasing the next Xbox in twenty twenty six would be a bit early considering the Xbox series X and S launched in twenty twenty. Yeah. Sure, but they didn't have the mid gen refresh right, So that like kind of puts a little bit of a kink in the works, where yeah, these days, you know, and really, you know, people try to measure out a generation. That's difficult to do. We only we have a small sample size. All things considered, there's only been so many console generations, and it seems like the length of them is more dictated by the realities on the ground than by any sort of playbook that says this is how long a generation's supposed to last. But yeah, okay, the last generation and the one before that, they last, the lasted, you know, seven eight years. That's sure, that's true. But I think that the reality here is Xbox saw a chance to be like, listen, we already have the Xbox series X versus S. Introducing a midge and refreshed would probably be a little bit more confusing than previously the previous generations. And also if we just wait a little bit longer, we can just kind of get un coupled from Sony's release schedule so that we're not always putting on a new Xbox when they're putting out a new PlayStation. And we think that is probably what we want to be doing going forward. So I'm not surprised by this at all. In fact of twenty twenty six is when I've been expecting for a long time. Sure, some of that was based on things I've like heard, but it's like, you know, those are rumblings that happened all the time, and they don't always pan out. So getting more confirmation or more rumors, I suppose saying that that is the plan, and to line it up with a call of duty, Yeah, that sounds about right to me. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have anticipated that the next Xbox would be a little bit sooner, simply beca because of the lack of mid gen refrench like you mentioned earlier. We've gotten iterations on the existing console like higher terras and maybe some some better parts inside, but not the actual PS five pro esque refresh. So for them to come out with their next Xbox in twenty twenty six, which as you said, is about a year or so early. If you're tying to time out generations, this all makes sense to me. Pairing it with the Call of Duty game also makes sense, especially if they're going to do a exclusive scenario. I guess they can do that now, or however they're going to maybe a timed exclusive the console comes out a month before it comes out on PlayStation or what have you. Whatever they were fighting about in the NFCC. They said, oh, we're all going to do that. Of course they're going to do it, but I part of me is worried.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: Part of me is worried about the next console generation because of how vogue in vogue generative AI is and I'm afraid that that stank is going to be all over the uh the next generation of consoles and it just worries the shit out of me.
Speaker 1: But I mean, I think it's like they could brand the Xbox as like a co Pilot thing, right like all their computers right now, all the winspcs are like co Pilot PC and everyone's like, hey, we don't we don't care about this, what are you okay? Cool? I could very easily see them doing that, although by twenty twenty six they'll probably have some new initiative. Sure, yeah, they they got. I feel like I remember them having like written agreements with regulators saying that they would never make Call of Duty exclusive, but that doesn't mean they couldn't get cute and maybe have you know, like oh the early access period that's not you know exclusive exclusive. Yeah, something like that where you know or just you know, it is a much better experience on Xbox in terms of just getting it earlier and free or early and reduced cost or something like that. But I think what they found out with this last Call of Duty the Black Ops got, which is Black Ops six, that's just what it's called. I think what they found out with that is people are buying the crap out of this game because it's a good Call of Duty and that benefited Xbox well. It also sold better on PlayStation and was on game Pass, so it's like they saw growth across the board. I think they're gonna be happy to take all that money and then launch a new Xbox and hope, hopefully like just try to do what happened with like Hogwarts Legacy, where that game was not exclusive to PlayStation, but it's heavily associated with PlayStation five. And I think they were like gonna try to do that. You know, they've done that with Call of Duty in the past. Call of Duty and during the Xbox three sixty generation they had the exclusive stuff on like oh we get the maps early and all this stuff like that, and that benefited them and people associated CALLDU with Xbox to the point where it's like Call Duty still did very well on Xbox even after the the marketing deal went over to PlayStation and PlayStation was clearly far ahead. It's like now there were still a lot of Call Duty players on Xbox. So yeah, I think they're going to just try to line those two things up and let that you know, senergy carry them forward. Uh. I you know, what do we expect from an Xbox a new Xbox at this point, it's just I mean.
Speaker 2: That's my question, like, what, like, how much more besides better graphics which TV's at this point, are they able to even show them or do you have to get like you're you're I'm starting. I'm always I've always been a little afraid that consoles will go the way of PCs, Like they won't be high end prices, but they'll be like they already are the same amount that I built the PC I'm using right now to talk to you. Uh so, like how much further can you go? I think PS five Pro might have been a bit of an eye open for some people that it was so damn expensive for what was the mid season refresh, And I don't see that going away anytime soon, especially with with potential outside and luences in you know, the people who run the country and whatever shenanigans they might get into. So I don't know, I don't know what another console could possibly look like that the current consoles aren't already doing, with the exception of better performance, like at least Nintendo as we just talked about maybe putting a male skimmick in their controllers to try something new this is I don't expect something like that from Xbox to you.
Speaker 1: No. No, I think they're gonna just try to make a box that feels kind of like. I think the big change here is it'll be more open, you know, the rumors for a while now. Then they're gonna let you just install Steam on Xbox and stuff like that and install in any store you want on there. It will be like a PC in many ways. And I don't think that means that like the Xbox sort of interface with its own store and all stuff will be like shoved off to the side. That'll still be front and center. But I think they're gonna be like, we we're not precious about this stuff anymore. We're gonna but you know, open up the walled garden. And I think that is interesting. But I just don't know if that's like a feature to people.
Speaker 2: Now this is a rumor. Could it be that some wires are crossed and we're talking about an Xbox handheld?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that an Xbox handheld is also coming for sure. I think this timeline that the story laid out of in twenty twenty six, the new home under the TV console, Xbox comes out in twenty twenty six, and then soon after because you know, hey it's twenty twenty five. Now we're talking about next year, like this is we're talking next year now. Sure, it's gonna be probably late next year because we're talking about the Call of Duty that launches in late twenty twenty six, so effectively like almost two calendar years. But we're talking about twenty twenty six from twenty twenty five, and then you know, so another six months after that, another year after that, so maybe twenty twenty seven we get the handheld. That sounds right to me based on like the amount of time it would take to go from kind of being like, hey, the steam Deck's pretty cool, maybe we could just okay, we'll just go over to Asus and be like, hey, can we bundle up some Xbox stuff with the ally and then then realizing that that's working really well too, we should make one of our own. It's only been a year of research and development for that. Really, it's gonna take quite a few more years for them to like actually fully flesh that idea out, and that's before we even get to like the the problems of okay, well, if it's an Xbox it's it's gonna have to play all the Xbox games. It's means it's gonna have support for X eighty six. Is it going to be an X eighty six based processor like like the Steam Deck is, or is it going to be something more handheld friendly like the switches? And if that's the case, are you going to develop the translation layer to make all these games work? All that stuff is possible, it's on the table. I'm sure they're investigating it. I think it's likely they go the way of having a handheld that is more similar to the switch and then they just do really good emulation because they're very good at that. But that stuff is going to take time, so it's highly unlikely that in twenty twenty six it'll be the handheld.
Speaker 2: You're talking about like a PS portal situation.
Speaker 1: Talk about like the Steam Deck is a Linux bace machine and it runs a lot of wind so a standalone yes, standalone, Yes, absolutely stand alone, but it just gets going to need a lot of technology behind it to make sure. Because there's just a very small chance they launched this Xbox handheld and it has a different set of games that can work on it. They've got to sort of make it feel like a cohesive experience, and that will require a lot of effort, because you can't just take an Xbox Series S right now and put it into handheld and then expect any sort of good battery life. Even as we are getting improved efficiency across the board from a lot of these processors, it just would be wouldn't be great at this point. So yeah, all right, let's cue, you know, actually, let's take a quick break and then we'll come back. We'll talk about Sony bringing back dormant franchises and Minecraft too. I guess right after this, all right, let's get back into it. Sony is looking to revive a few dormant PlayStation franchises. This is from Ben Lyons at Game Reactor. Every year, it feels as though many of us ask Santa Claus for news on long dormant PlayStation franchises as part of our Christmas wishes, and each year this seems to come up Trump's with Sony instead sticking to its usual format, the format of letting sleeping franchises lie while current franchises thrive. This has led many to give up hope on a new Sly Cooper or more Resistance, for example, but perhaps that hope shouldn't be forgotten. On the latest episode of the video game podcast from VGC, Andy Robinson has claimed that Sony is currently working on reviving many of its long dormant franchises. The exact list of the exact list of serieses that could be coming back remains unclear, but Robinson refers to them as deep cuts old ip stuff and that there is at least a couple that they're working on. I you know, I'll just say I believe this story for one, and uh for two. I think the long you know, the deep cut old ip stuff like does mean they are at least considering even like old PS one games. It's not not just Resistance in Sly Cooper stuff older than that. It seems like a lot of stuff might be on the table. But but you know, you know, I trust Andy.
Speaker 2: Here's what I'm saying, Rise up, vib Ribbon fans, your time might finally be coming.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that there's like, you know, the Colony war stuff like that might be on the bubble, but like, you know, a Warhawk, like you know, they did star Hawk on PS three or in a new Warhawk on PS three is that right?
Speaker 2: But maybe yeah, I had that star Hawk wasn't.
Speaker 1: They definitely did a star Hawk with the blue Eyes.
Speaker 2: They put in place All Stars Battle Royale to drum up support for Starhawk, and nobody nobody played it.
Speaker 1: Dan Racers says, team of Soobe make a new jumping Flash. Flash was the first name I thought of on the Saale list, And it's like, and I think, not impossible. It's just that's not impossible. But I you know, this is also an initiative where I think it's it's deep cut, old ip stuff. And then also like another word to add to that would be and smaller, like reduced budget, you know, not reduced budget games makes it sound like this initiative to like make cheap bullshit and it's not not what's happening here, but like they don't want these to be two hundred million dollar projects. They want them to be something they could do quicker and for with smaller teams and airgo less money. And hey, I think that is a good idea overall. But also it's like, you know, that is something where it's like, yeah, they're excited about it now, you know. Hermann Holst is look around be like hey, Can we fill in some of these gaps with some of these older franchises. Can we find some studios to work on this stuff, and you know, that stuff comes out and they're they do Okay, they'll still keep doing it, probably, but they won't like fall in love with this idea, and they could very easily get distracted. It won't be the core thrust of what PlayStation studios is. I think. So I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but overall I'm excited about this. How about you?
Speaker 2: No, I think it's a good idea, and I think Astrobot might have kind of opened their eyes a little bit with how like they they probably were considering that to be just like, we're gonna put this out there just to have a game out there, and all of a sudden it's taken over the taken home the Top prize a month ago or three weeks ago, whatever it was. They're probably looking at that like, okay, how do we replicate that? Was it the nostalgia factor with all these old franchises and faces showing up as little robots, Let's see if that's the way to go. So you might see as I've seen names in the chat here jumping flash, incredible crisis, deep cut there, Papa the Rapper might he seems this seems like a parap of the rapp a story, right, You bring out a new parapp of the Rapper with a new soundtrack, Maybe throw in some like DDR style stuff with some psv R two compatibility or what have you. I might try the price up, but that's the kind of franchise Crocs already coming back. That's the kind of franchise I think would benefit from something like this. Could go back and look at like, like I said, the roster from PlayStation All Stars, or go look at the Wikipedia for old PS one. My mind goes to Legend of Dragoon, but I feel like that would be too big S one RPG that would be more of a more expensive one that would be out of the realm with this. I they ever brought that back?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like HD remaster, do that like a game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, that works. Ape Escape is another another great example of something that could benefit from this. Yeah. I love when old ips get a new second chance at life, whether it's a remaster, remake, or a brand new entry. If anything, it just tells the youths what we used to play and they need to know that sometimes. So yeah, bring it on, man, let's let's see it. I let's see it.
Speaker 1: Here. Here's my pitch. Sony, you get the pen, write this down. You go to studio slash publisher Twin Beard, and you say, hey, make us a game that is secretly another game like you did with Frog Fractions, and it maybe maybe maybe it could just be a website. And it turns out like people start to play one game and then it quickly turns into Incredible Crisis and they didn't. They don't, they don't realize it. It's this this secret they put out or whatever. I want. I want that. I want a weird studio making a new Incredible Crisis. I think that would be very technical.
Speaker 2: See yeah, I like that, give it, Give it to him and give it to him. Jim Ryan.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Jim Ryan. Get back to work, Get back in the Salt mines. Original Minecraft creators has quote basically announced a spiritual successor. I guess this is tom Ley Reynolds at Nintendo Life. Minecraft creator Marcus Notch person has basically announced a spiritual successor to the exceptionally popular Sabox game. After issuing a poll on social media, which is how most things get done these days, the developer asked his audience what they would like him to focus on in twenty twenty five, with the options being a traditional roguelike mixed with a tile based first person dungeon crawler, or a spiritual successor to Minecraft. Not Surprisingly, an overwhelming majority eighty one point five percent voted for the Minecraft successor, despite Pearson encouraging users to vote for the alternative. Since then, he has indicated that he was one hundred percent serious about all that uh huh, and in responding to a comment, clarified that he has basically announced Minecraft two. No, just no, Like you if someone's serious about something, they you don't do it this way. This is not like you know, we're doing a fun little pool. This is you know, elon musk. I want to just get a pop on social media. Here's my thing where like, do you want me to make Minecraft two? You know whatever happened to like to the so the last game he was making that qt x ten C or whatever, it was a bunch of letters and numbers us right, that never happened. Nothing ever happened with that and nothing's ever gonna happen with this either. He is not going to make another game, but what the hell would this look like? Even if he did?
Speaker 2: Jason, there isn't how do you make a second Minecraft? He just Minecraft two. It's just it's just slapped the number two and what he's already made. Yeah, I just want him to shut up and go away.
Speaker 1: Yeap.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I just want him to just just like it must be that one of his twenty twenty five resolution resolutions was to get more attention, right, So he puts out this little this sneaky little pole, what do you want me to do? And he had to know if he didn't, he's a more of a dope than I thought he was. He's I don't think. And if we do hear about this, if there is some sort of Minecraft two or whatever, it would the name would even be because I love how it says he doesn't want to sneakily infringe on the incredible work the mo Yang team is doing. Yeah, how are you going to do that? Pal? Hey, if he wants to try it and we can all laugh at him for it, fine, go ahead spend your money. Otherwise, enjoy your candy room, shut up, and do you think man just leave us alone?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh, he did, like he was pretty quiet for the last year or so. I'd not heard about Notch recently, and people are asking, excuse me, People are asking like, hey, wait, wait, why why the negative activity towards Notch For people that don't remember, he was just kind of like, uh, lightly aligned with gamer Gate and stuff like that, but just think things of that nature. So also just kind of crappy overall. So yeah, I think I was like, I'm with you. I would like him to mostly just go away, just be quiet, just go away. Nice.
Speaker 2: You contributed to our fair industry and you get royalties until you choke on one of your candies, So just enjoy.
Speaker 1: That, okay, yeah uh yeah. And he's is in he a turf and liberally uses the N word. Really okay, oh loves using the end word. Huh hey, go to hell, Notch No what like you know, I actually know what spend all your money trying to make Minecraft too, And and people are like, well, we're just going to keep playing Minecraft like like this it's just a bad idea because you just like there's a reason the owner of Minecraft now Microsoft has not made a Minecraft too, because you could just update Minecraft and that's what people actually want. Uh So, what are you talking about, You're just what you're really talking about is I'm going to make them a clone of the video game I made. And listen, there's nothing wrong with that. There's plenty of creators that have like spent their entire life making one game over and over again. Shout out to Jeff mentor keep making another Tempest. I want another Tempest from you. That's fantastic. But you know, it's not like a Tempest four thousand or whatever blew the doors off of it, and I expect Minecraft two to be very similar to a Tempest four thousand. All right. Platinum Games is celebrating fifteen years of Bayanetta with a year long event. This is from Ali Reynolds at Nintendo Life. Platinum Games has announced that it's conducting a year long event focusing on the original Banetta after the game recently celebrated its fifteenth anniversary. Originally launched in Japan on twenty ninth of October two thousand and nine, with a worldwide release following in January twenty ten. It spawned two mainline sequels. One spinoff Entry, and a whole bunch of supplemental material, including an animated movie entitled Bayonetta Bloody Fate. Platinum Games has it revealed what it's got up its sleeve at the time of writing, but urged fans to keep an eye on its social media channels and official website for all of the upcoming announcements. Alongside the news, Platinum published a statement regarding the future of the company, amid speculation that many of its lead creators could have followed Commia out of the company. Kamia left and has started something new with Capcom and is making Okami Yes Okamedi sequel Yes Thank You. Metal Gear Rising director Kinji Sato, Astral Chain director Taki Takahisa Atoa, and Anarchy Rangs director Masaki Yama Yamanaka all remove the PG from their social media handles last month. Over the past fifteen years, and this is a quote now from Platinum, over the past fifteen years, we've been able to walk alongside Bayonetta, and the series is charming. Charming cast of characters bringing joy to so many people through Bayonetta has been an invaluable journey for us. Moving forward, we will continue to take on new challenges to create games that surprise and delight our fans. We look forward to your continued support of Bayonetta and Platinum Games, where developers and publishers always trying to surprise and delight us. That's their favorite thing to do.
Speaker 2: It really is. Oh I this whole thing reeks of Please still like us?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I mean like us. They're going to ground right, you know, like they've seen that they need to make a retreat here, and so where are they going. They're going back to Beyanetta and they're going to lean on that, and it's it's a fair strategy. I just don't have much faith that it's going to amount to much worth caring about. But you know, again, I get it. I think they They also hired a new director recently. I can't remember where from. If anyone at chat remembers, let.
Speaker 2: Me know, yeah, I don't. I don't remember that news either. It's not just you know, such as Commy either. It's it's the names here. I think Medicaur Rising goes out saying that game's amazing. Anarchy Reigns I missed, but astral Chain I thought was excellent. I reviewed that or Hollywood reporter and as a low key, very good, very fun game that I still think about once in a while. So there's a lot of talent they're losing there. That's true that they've all left now did they all follow him to Clover's and Capcom remains to be seen. Are they're doing their own thing or also remains to be seen. But that's just a lot of good talent leaving all at once. And frankly, Platinum really always had this bit of tarnish to them. I think after scale Bound was canceled, right, that was like a tipping point where it was like, what's going on there? That might not have been their decision, It might have been an Xbox decision, but still something about that company has not felt right since then, and I I just feel like this might be more of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, the leadership there has been like we are continuing to go hard on games as a service. That seemed to be one of the things that drove Kamiya out, and by all accounts that has not changed at Platinum. They're still pretty hard on games as a service since you know, maybe listen, you maybe make a good one of those, but you haven't so far.
Speaker 2: So the one that they did make was came out and was like what was that? For two months?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What was got a camera? It's Michael Hyam's favorite game, Babylon's Fall there, thank you Ken Well, thank you Michael Hyams.
Speaker 2: Uh oh god, that was what two months? A month? Maybe there was like not quite a concord, but also not a success either. It was like it was weird that was going.
Speaker 1: It was definitely like opened and shuddered within the same calendar year. So yeah, yeah, sure it definitely got white figured. All right, let's finish up the headlines here. Let's get through these last couple of stories. Elder Ring Night Rain is removing one of Soul's best love features. This is from Jordan Midler at VGC. Elder Ring Knight Rain is removing one of the best love features the developer. Police players won't have enough time to engage with this mechanic. Players in Elderring Night Rain won't be able to leave messages for players or read those left by other players. This feature, which dates back to Demon Souls, allowed players to point out the way to hidden treasure, leave crew jokes, or trick players into jumping off of ledges. Speaking to Ig in Japan. Director Junior Ishizaki said, you could still see the ghosts we were. We remove the message features in this game. Where each session is about forty minutes long, there's no time to write your own message and no time to read messages written by others. Another significant change is that currently, according to the developers, foes defeated in battle won't respond when the player rests. At the sight of Grace and Souls games players trade off the ability to heal and save their game at certain checkpoints. For the downside of all minor enemies respawning. I mean sounds like a pretty different game that they're making here. Forty minute sessions, multiplayer focus three three player, co cooperative multiplayer focused, bringing in a bunch of enemies from other from soft games, including Dark Souls, to fill out the world. I it sound to me, it sounds like like cobbled together, but in a very cool and interesting way. You know. It sounds like a company remixing their own stuff to make something that is different and still has the elden Ring name on it and takes place in that world and gives players a way that they wanted to play that game originally. But I'm like why why is it forty minute sessions? Like, are we just like going on runs? Is it gonna be like Monster Hunter? It's maybe it's starting to sound like Monster Hunter to me. Yeah. Overall though, it's like, okay, fair, So we're not gonna be leaving messages. I guess that makes sense because you're gonna be likely with other people that you're playing with, So that to me that I won't be missing that feature in this specific game, although you know future from soft Games I wanted to come back for sure. What do you think?
Speaker 2: I agree with you that if if sessions are only forty minutes long, what's the point of messages, especially if you're playing with other people and you know, presumably those people are the ones on your friends. Let's leaving you the message to begin with, so you could just have this little moment of discovery together, which other Dark Sotoles games didn't really offer. You had to do the single player part and then leave messages or invade other people's games stuff like that. Honestly, to me, I feel like the lack of respawn at a Sight of Grace is is a little more, has a little more of an impact to the Soul's formula.
Speaker 1: Yes, but sounds like this formula.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, right, But but I wonder if that is also because of the speed of the run. But then why would you stop at a site of grace to begin with? Is if it's I guess if it's like a road, like because you like respect real quick before you go to then exception or by buying stuff. Yeah, like so maybe that's why. But then if you get killed, then the run would be over and they wouldn't have to respawn, right, So is there that would this would then imply that you could go to a site of grace save and then there will be backtracking required.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, because that's why it's like when I hear it, I wasn't immediately thinking rogue light. But maybe I mean that doesn't mean it's not run based. Yeah, it sounds like sure it's probably run based, but yeah, how does the save mechanic work? You're right, I'm also confused about like what that looks like, like, you know, because the way I'm doing it is like you are starting off at the beginning and you're trying to get to the end. You need to kill everything between here and there. Uh, and then if you die die, you go back to the beginning.
Speaker 2: But you're right.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe there are checkpoints actually and you start from there instead. Who really knows, or maybe they're like soft checkpoints where it's like, yeah, you can go back there if you want to, like maybe practice this area, but that's not going to like count towards actually fulfilling the goals of beating the game, something like like in Spelunky, where you could start from the second spot if you wanted to. But then what's you have to do with that? What does that have to do with the enemies not responding either way? Though, I'm still very excited about this. A cooperative run like game with frum Soft to gameplay. Yeah, that sounds.
Speaker 2: Good, and I also I kind of like it. It's the greatest hits of all their enemies, like from Front Saul's history. Now they say Dark Souls and and and those games. But don't be surprised if you see like a big blockie Kingsfield, Boston, a real deep cut like, oh, he's stole all polygon looks like he's from Virtual Fighter one with all these like and he's swinging. It'd be awesome. That'd be so cool.
Speaker 1: Uh, put the President and the mech for Metal Wolf Chaos in there as a boss. Let's fight him? Yeah game at that point. Uh. Sonic the Hedgehog film franchise raises past one billion dollars at the box office is from Darren BONCUSI game spot. The headline is the story. I really just put this in here because whenever I see this it might have Mike Manaudi always told me, it's like, it's so strange that this company had to be bullied into making a billion dollars, Like like we had to like just bully them and be like, hey, just make Sonic appealing to look at instead of what you've done here. And they did it, and because of that, they've made a billion dollars uh, in just the movies, from just the films. But hey, I'm still so shocked that that original Sonic design ever happened, because like, the whole thing with Sonic is kids look at it and I like the way that looks. That's it's that simple, and then they become Sonic fans for life. Uh, And messing that up just shows showed some deep, deep misunderstanding of what they were even working on. But hey, they fixed it, and here they go making a lot of money, right.
Speaker 2: It's wild. I don't know. If you watched the Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers show on Disney Plus where they brought him back as the cameo, I saw that that was the best part of that movie, unfortunately, but it uh, you're right, how did that ever exist to begin with? Unless they knew. Yeah, they knew, and they had the original design just someone was already working on it. They knew what they were doing here. Did they think it would be turned into a billion dollar box office franchise? Probably not, but they knew they had to have There's no way, there's no way that Sega would have let that original design go. They would have looked there was one look at the teeth alone, and they would have been like, no, started over.
Speaker 1: I I like, yeah, I like the idea that Paramount Pictures like. It's not just incompetency, it's no, it's a conspiracy. I wonder if, like Sega saw that the teeth design and we're like, well, Hollywood just knows better than we do. That's like the people crave teeth on hedgehogs. That's human teeth specifically.
Speaker 2: Maybe we've been inside our bubble for too long.
Speaker 1: Ago. Yeah, thing, children yearned for teeth all right last last night by hearing wait, what was that?
Speaker 2: I just said? Oh, by god, that was gross.
Speaker 1: Naughty Dog founder reveals budgets of original games and why they sold to Sony. This is from Eddie McCoo at game Spot. Andy Gavin, one of the co founders of Naughty Dog, has explained why the company sold itself to Sony back in two thousand and one. Posting on LinkedIn, Gavin said he's been asked countless times why Naughty Dog took the deal, and it was all about rising development costs. Even back then, Gavin said, when Naughty Dog first started making games in the nineteen eighties, game development costs were manageable costs games made in the early eighties running about fifty thousand dollars per game for nineteen ninety two s rings of Power. Naughty Dogs spent about one hundred thousand for the first Crash Bandicoot game. However, costs rose to one point six million, with Jack Jack and Daxter two thousand and one coming in at fifteen million or more just and then just a few years later, Jack three's development costs cost came in at between forty five and fifty million dollars. Naughty Dog was self funding all its projects all the time, and the stress about financing these ballooning budgets independently became too much to bear. Gavin said, rising development costs is a systemic issue to this day in the video game industry. Something God, this is still like the main story we talk about about why do companies behave the way they behave? And it goes costs for them to make games continues to rise, and boy, that just goes all the way back to the beginning, Like this is not like keeping up with inflation. This is much much much faster than that in terms of how much it costs from one one game to the next. And you could see them looking at that and be like is this ever gonna end? And then be like it might not. And so they were. They were freaked out, like we need a financial backer that can take on this risk instead of us, because how can we really be creative and make stuff that's interesting when we're desperately paralyzed by fear that the next game we put out will be a flop and destroy everything? Like it it's one thing to be like we're gonna get aggressive and we're gonna take chances. And then you look around bike and everybody here relies on their paychecks that I'm providing for them to eat. Oh my god, we cannot take those risks. That's I mean. So you've been Sony offers to buy you, you say yes, And it's like, this is the other side of the conversation about consolidation. When these companies do see an exit to sell to a bigger company, they they do have, they maybe are a little bit more willing to take risks, and that does provide a little bit of a safety net to keep people's jobs for a little bit longer. Of course, then we see these big companies cutting jobs as well, so it's no real answer, but I think that's still it's like something for a company like Naughty Dog see them being like, yeah, this this is gonna work out for us and enable us to make bigger and bigger games and hire more and more people. And that's exactly what they did. Book Boy Jason feels like, you know, yeah, sure, development costs go up for forever. It really does have to break at some point, right it does?
Speaker 2: This is I mean, as they're saying now three hundred four hund five hund million dollars today that that it's not sustainable. It's not, But like, I don't think anyone's even interested in finding the root cause either they're too busy trying to get the latest technology or the or the most expensive even like voice actors and stuff like that. If they're going for big budget celebrities, they cost more than your normal trained voice actor, hire more trained voice actors. They need someone needs and I don't know if it needs to be someone independently who studies these studios and figures out what the hell is going on here, But yes, it's either they figure it out or we have another bubble burst like we did in it was late eighties or late seventies, eighties, right, So I if they want this industry to continue to thrive, that's the only way they're going to do it. And people are saying that the bubble already burst with all the layoffs and everything that, I'm hesitant to say that that's more of a expected retraction after the boom of the pandemic period. As much as all of that completely sucks, I'm not willing to say the bubble is burst yet.
Speaker 1: And people are still spending as much money on video games this year as they did last year and before that and the like. Then there was like a small, like five percent drop. We small, it's a lot of money. Five percent drop out of the pandemic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the people are saying, you know, the video game industry is making all this money. Why are why it makes sense that the games cost as much to development. That's not true. Because one company is spending five hundred million dollars, they're not necessarily making all that back, and if they are, it's taking forever. Not every game is grand theft autough. Not every game has the clout where the rest of the industry is waiting to see when their release date comes out so they can plan accordingly. It's it's just not I'm worried. I do worry about it. Sometimes I just sit here and think about it, like, man, how much longer am I going to be able to? Is this going to be the thing that I do? Before it just collapses and we're just talking about like whatever it is that we're talking. It scares the shit out of me sometimes. Yeah, you'd be soft, as somebody puts up in chat, great great example.
Speaker 1: Yep, they're definitely the poster child four. Oh, there is a sickness in this industry and there's no obvious rot. Yes, a rot that's kind of taking over now. It's like, you know, the difference between now and the crash in eighty three. And as the screamer, I realized that the crash happen in the United States. If you don't say that, bunch of people everywhere else gets mad. Even though, my god, the industry was in the United States, it was a three million dollar industry and then it went down to a one hundred million dollars two years later. That is just a massive evacuation of the amount of money going into the industry, and of course it had global effects, but yeah, it was mostly a crash in terms of the people in the United States, the biggest market, stop spending money on video games. That's not what's happening now. That is not, but it is similar in that the shift of like, okay, the money that people are spending on games is going in one direction, mostly towards companies like Epic and Call Duty games like that, and so there is actually an evacuation of money going to just everything else. And that's why we're seeing like companies like You'bisoft struggle and so many indie studios close, So some of the effects are very similar. But it's like, yeah, until people stop spending money on video games, there won't be an overall crash. It's just going to be a this small, tiny collapse that then effect that then't look seems like it could have a domino effect, and it has had a domino effect that has led to a bunch of companies laying off people. But I always go back to people, aren't These companies aren't laying off people because of some economic collapse. They're laying off people because they made slightly less money than they wanted to make, and so they are like, we're gonna save money and we're gonna impress our investors by doing this. And that's always what it has been the last several years from all of these companies. Very few companies are like fighting for their life and that's why they're laying people off. That's not like, that's not what Microsoft was doing? Are you kidding me? Like, yeah, so those two things are pretty unrelated, all right. Yeah, So Naughty Dog's owned by Sony. Now I have been two thousand and one, but that's the news story. All right, that does it for the headlines. Let's see here I have do I have the poll result from last year. Let's see here. I'll fresh this page and see what's on there. What is your most anticipate game of twenty twenty five? Look at that? That's right there. I need to answer, So let's click on this. I'm gonna say not GT six Ghost of you Own. Maybe it is elden Ring Night Rain. Yeah, sure, why not? And that's the least popular answer at ten percent. Uh, Then it is Ghost of Yota at twenty one percent. Then twenty two percent say Monster Hunter Wilds and forty seven percent, unsurprisingly say Grand Theft Auto six. How about you? Any of those games? You got something else you're looking forward to?
Speaker 2: Of those four, Ghosts of Yota would top my list. But also I am thinking of Capcom Fighting Collection two. It's nice to see Capcom versus S and K two back in the spotlight once again. I uh, I'm not really that excited for Grand Theft Auto six. I'll play in Grand Theft Autos, fix the campaign, and then I'll be done with it. Doom the Dark Ages, as someone puts in chat, that's another one.
Speaker 1: I actually I saw that point, man. I actually am super looking forward to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and then you know switch to maybe yeah, maybe a new three D Mario, maybe a new oh this year. You did mention that on game mess uh decides, didn't Yeah, when you fix dands lest good job on that place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we did some good work there, Absolutely you did.
Speaker 2: You did, uh oh three D Mario this year.
Speaker 1: I mean it's it's seems more likely than not.
Speaker 2: You think that's what'd be like the anchor of the Heavyweight.
Speaker 1: I mean, I honestly, at this point, I think that the anchor would be a new Mario Kart because that with the driving. Uh. But yes, a new three D Mario would be the anchor for a lot like a lot of that early adopter audience for sure.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine the warnings on this new switch if that is what's going on, Please don't punch anyone in the face.
Speaker 1: It always gives you a way to punch people, but then they don't want you to punch people. Make up your mind for a college Jesus. All right, I got a new pole question. We'll get to that here in a second. Before we do that, though, Jason Finili, you tell people where they can find you on the internet. What you have going on, Well, you have going on in twenty twenty five, all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: So I am at Big Man Finale on all social media's. I am mostly now on Blue Sky. I've beddye basically do all of my shit posting over there. Now. I have a couple of things in the hopper already. There's one interview that I'm waiting to hear back when we're going to schedule. It's a very exciting feature that might be going up on Rolling Stone. So I'll be able to have more on that once I get some information on when I'm going to interview this person. Other than that, just doing writing for GameSpot mmorpg MTG Salvation if you do like to magic the gathering cards. That website is back and I've been writing some stuff for them as far as twenty twenty five goes. Remember last year the Hat where's the hat? Auditions were last night? Got called back for Wednesday, Going to get me that lieon it's happening.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh helly on, that's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Try and get that cowardy line so you'll if you see me get completely unhinged on Wednesday night on social media. You'll understand why. But yeah, just you know, so, so far as far as projects in the hopper, it's just the one other than the general writing. But like things I'm looking forward to. We talked about Monster, we talked about capcom Versus and K two in the Fighting collection, Ghost of Yota once again, talking about Magic Gathering. A Final Fantasy expansion is this year in June, just like probably thousand cards with Final Fantasy characters want it. Can't wait for that. Yeah, man, it's uh, you know what also I'm excited for Hopefully this is a nice segue Dan Reichert's goddamn Blake Club. Where is it?
Speaker 1: It's it likely is uh could be this week. Jeez, man, I think he's got to start it this week because if he doesn't, he gets in trouble. So oh no, yeah, so I think it probably is going to start this week. We'll we'll get back to the the Slack Cave and determine that once and for all. Yeah, I really am looking forward to that. It's been a long time coming. I'm gonna sneeze, Can I stop it? Yeah? I stopped it? All right, there we go? Yeah, thank you? Yeah, he has to play Terminator three, Rise of the Machines for the PlayStation three. I think specific man, I sent him so much bullshit for his costume. He is gonna look insane. So really really looking forward to seeing that big reveal, and again that that's probably gonna happen this week. Real quick, let's do a new new pool question. Do you like the idea of using a switch to joy con as a mouse? Yes? No, I do like the idea. I tested it down on the joy that I have. I think that that feels just fine. That could be really cool. It's but boy, if they do this, they better have a Mario paint, a new Mario paint.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that's yeah. Basically they said, oh, Joey con drift, I'll show you. Yeah, you'll just be drifted with no. I like, it's like I said in the in the first segment, it's the kind of thing that they would think of that I would go, oh shit, that makes perfect sense.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And then in implementation, there we go. Now, like you said, whether or not, it'll be used just for the first party games, and then the third party will be like, hey, you can point if you want. Yeah, it remains to be seen, but I dig it. It's a cool idea. If that's what happens, I'm in.
Speaker 1: We'll get the results of that poll on Game Es Mornings here on Wednesday on Giant Bomb. Speaking to Giant Bomb. Tomorrow, the BombCast, it will have it'll be back with the full crew actually talking about new stuff. You know. Once again, we did the Game of the Year podcast. Go listen to those. Those were a lot of fun. Our full list is out now, so be sure to check that out and listen to that so you don't get spoiled. But yeah, we'll be back with the BombCast tomorrow. We will probably have Blake Glub this week. Probably a voicemail dump truck. God, I don't know. Jeff jeffs is probably back soon. There's a whole bunch of stuff happening. Be sure to tune in for all a little bit. We'll go figure out exactly what we're doing right now. In fact, all right, Jason BONOWI thank you so much man for spending the today talk with me about video games. Man. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I am very appreciative that you reached out, honored that I'm the first one of twenty twenty five, and I am looking forward to more antics with you. And you know, if it does come to fruition, perhaps you put a friendly wager up.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, for sure. Although I've had a lot of bad luck making friendly wagers. I think I've lost all the ones I've done with Bacalard, Dan and Mike, So it might be bad luck, but I might do it anyhow, I know, Jeff, that's the plat damn. All right, let's see. Oh yeah, one last thing, Marino says, Community Game of the Year voting ends in forty five minutes. There's a link in chat giant Bomb. Go to giant bomb dot com and I think you probably find the details there. But yeah, forty five minutes, so if you're listening live, you still have a chance. All right, I think let's get out of here here. Thank you so much once again, Jason, thank you all for listening and watching. You're the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself, and goodbye.