Speaker 1: He'll be like, A, don't be bad, it's the Internet. You're busy. Let's do this for January eighth, twenty twenty five. For the next hour or so, let me help you sort through the world of gaming on Game Mess Morning's Live with Me Jeff Grubb. Today, the switch to gets revealed, but not by Nintendo, and one of the best games on Xbox three sixty could be getting a big upgrade soon. But first, please join me and welcome me today's co host the Game Mess Mornings. It's Sean Turbo, Sean mcdal Sean, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: Ah? For once good Jeff, rested, well refreshed after that nice long holiday break we had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I made the mistake of just going with God on the break and doing what my body wanted to do, which is always a poor choice every time. Never worked out good, imis.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that.
Speaker 1: I am now recovered from Let's night where I actually did decide to just go to sleep after the podcast for the most part, after a lesson and ten dogs with mikey Uh, a little bit of Marvel Rivals, yes, a good amount, thankfully. Like Chris came in. Chrisnai came in. He was like, just just a couple of games. We can always rely on him to be like, I'm tired, I want to go to bed. So yeah, we ended up pretty quickly and actually it's computer crash and he didn't want to give back in so that was it, and uh, I went to bed, and I'm feeling pretty good now. I wanted to My plan was to go out and walk in the woods, but it's too cold. It's just too.
Speaker 2: Cold, to freaking cold cold. Is it for you today?
Speaker 1: I think we are in real feel. It's in the single digits fairrenheight.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's we're eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that eleven with the real feel or like eleven?
Speaker 2: Like yes, fifteen feels like eleven exactly.
Speaker 1: Yes. So I was like, oh, this is painful, this is hurting me. I'm like, I just want to get some sun, some fresh air.
Speaker 2: I remember when I was describing Wisconsin winter to Christian for the first time and I gave him the temperature. He's like, what's that in Celsia? I said, I converted to him. He's like, I can't be right.
Speaker 1: You like what it's like on Mars.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, no, just five layers, baby, that's what you do.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely, all right, yeah, so how was your break?
Speaker 2: It was very good. Actually played some video games for once, right, Yeah, absolutely. I actually had the time to catch ups on some stuff I played. Actually got all the way through Shadow Generations. That was like one of the big ones I've been wanting to start and didn't get around to, which is very good. I wouldn't say it's as amazing as some people are making out to be, even the song fans, but it's kind of just more Song Generations.
Speaker 1: It means it's solid at least, right, Like you don't have a ton of complaints.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like Song Generations, there's too much fluff. Like if it was just it's like a two hour roller coaster, it would be like a very fun game. But there's a lot of like the the Hub world stuff they get do and everything, and it bogs things down a little bit, but generally very fun. I was in a Sonic mood though, so I played some of the classic games and I still maintained Sonic in three D has often not been good. Adventure one and two are still very rough games, but as something we can't agree on, Song and two D very good. So I fired up some Song three and Knuckles and that was just a fun time, because that's just a good time. Yes, good classic gaming right there. I thought about fireing on Mania right after that, obviously the best Sonic game far. I actually was in the mood for something else that's bound my backlog because of show Generations and fired up song Frontiers, which I've actually never played before. Oh really, okay, boy actually feels good to play.
Speaker 1: Oh wow? Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, song Frontiers is like because it's open world. Is just having a fast character run around an open world is the best he's like ever felt because he actually has the space to move around.
Speaker 1: I agree. I think their complaints for that game are mostly like, I think they're fair that when you are like looking at what's happening on the screen, it can feel like you're watching a YouTube video that says Sonic three D in unreal engine, like a fan made sort of thing, And I get that. I just don't care at all, because exactly, I think it feels fun to play.
Speaker 2: It feels good. The bosses are a little jank, I know, switch it's a song team game. Of course there's Jenk in it.
Speaker 1: But feeling together, all that stuff's true.
Speaker 2: It feels good to run around a Sonic and then if you get good at the parkour like straying together, grinding on rails and like bounce all over the place and stuff. It's been very fun so far.
Speaker 1: So it's been those games that my kids put on every once in a while to play and they just like, you know, fruiting around having a good time. Oh yeah, I'm not really playing it to play it. They're just playing it to have Sonic do cool stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And you know that's what I'm in the mood for, especially because Indy's really not hidden with me.
Speaker 1: Jeff, Yeah, I'm honestly, I'm surprised more people aren't in the boat that you're in because I was expecting. I was expecting it to be way more divisive than it turned out to be, because I'm like, I think some people are going to be straight up bored by some of these things, and I think that's where you ended up.
Speaker 2: That's where I'm I'm in Giza right now. I'm gonna try at least one more session because I think is it like after Giza is where you said, I guess you could just rush.
Speaker 1: Through Giza and do the set piece after Giza, between the Giza in the final thing, I think that would like be a good place still if you want to abandon that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, that's good note because yeah, like I was not feeling the Vatican at all. I was very bored there. But then everything surrounding, like the blimp was like awesome, yes, and then.
Speaker 1: The next one is like even better than that, So yes.
Speaker 2: Okay, so so yeah, maybe I'll do that. Yeah, oh, don't worry, my healer, I have been mainlining, don't don't you worry there. So maybe I'll get.
Speaker 1: The costume in Giza to like make things a little bit easier.
Speaker 2: I'm fairly early on side.
Speaker 1: Okay, just do the boxing thing. If you do the boxing boxing, okay, you don't even have to do the whole thing, just it'll they'll tell you where to get the outfits.
Speaker 2: So do you have to do the combat in the game for no?
Speaker 1: No, I mean you'll have okay, give to kill one Nazi pretty much to get Okay, okay, I'll do that.
Speaker 2: I'll do that, okay, because I don't like the convent in those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, uh, I mean when you say the combat are like because are you shooting or you're like, no.
Speaker 2: The punching, it's just smash our t And I'm just I.
Speaker 1: Think you got the combat need for that game to be fun needs to be. I am picking up something big and stupid and hitting a Nazi over the head with it without him making that's.
Speaker 2: The stealth is a lot more fun. Yes, that's strategically taken because it's you know, it is more of an MM that is an uncharted I think that's where excels and you are like, you get into a game, you're sorry. You get into a room and you're like, how can I take these guys down without learning anyone? And when you just slowly take them all out, that's very fun. But I also haven't been given too many opportunities to actually do that. Yeah, but like in the Catacombs, for example, how a law of fun just like slowly sneaking up on everyone just taking them out web pipe or something that that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, I ended up really liking the game, but it was a rough start for me, and not, like I said, just surprised more people aren't coming out of being like I think this is boring, You're not doing much or when you are doing much going back and forth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want people to be down on the game, but it does feel like a game that is so different than what people would expect that yeah, you're you're. I'm a little surprised, but I hate good for a studio that people are in love with it because it is a very good, like interactive indie experience, I think is what Backlar sends lack and I'm like, yeah, that's that's right, because this game looks amazing. It looks absolutely fantastic, and yeah, maybe I'll enjoy it a little bit more. It was just like more of a movie. But we'll see. We'll see where in next level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess, so goes. I think it just speaks to the studio being able to get people into what they want people to be getting into in their game, and I think that is a difficult thing to pull off. And I think that's why there's fewer complaints than I was expecting.
Speaker 2: Because it's machine games. I would have expected it to be even more in the uncharged realm because they've done shooters for so long. But uh, if this is a game they wanted to make, hey, props to them. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, it's certainly more accurate to Indiana Jones. Then then I'm chared. Actually, oh yeah, right absolutely.
Speaker 1: All right, let's explain what we do here most weekdays, I, Jeff Greb, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you were watching live on Twitch, welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Games Mornings, or find the RSS on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with a Nintendo Switch to replica is being showcased behind closed doors at CES. This is from Andy Robinson at VGC. An accessories maker is showcasing what it claims to be what claims to be an accurate replica of Nintendo's unannounced Switch to console at CES in Las Vegas. Ginky is showcasing the device behind closed doors at the Las Vegas Convention Center this week, where invited guests can hold the replica in their hands and get a feel for what it claims is the switch to the replica model pictured on this page, and I'll go get to a video of it here in a second. It's being used to demonstrate the accessories Ginky has planned for the Switch successor, including controllers and a docking station, it said. German publication Netzwelt was able to try the Switch to replica, which Ginky claims has the exact dimensions of Nintendo's unannounced According to the publication, switch too feels significantly larger to hold, with joy cons that are moved from the sign removed from the side rather than being slid in upwards. There's might be video of that as well, and then when we go to take a look at it. Nintendo is yet to officially reveal it Switch Successor, but the company has confirmed plans to do so during this current fiscal year, which ends March, a couple months from now, so we will get a reveal before that point. It feels like soon, but who knows. With Nintendo other other little sprinkles of stuff here, Ginky told people said publicly revealed that the thing will be released in April. Uh switched to be just released in April. They have They have a page on their website that that you know, got like who knows of like where they told them, hey, check this out, we got to switch to stuff or people just happen to find it whatever. They have switched to accessories ready to go on their page. Uh, this is flouting Nintendo like right in their face. But uh, I don't think I mean that they don't seem to care. Maybe they'll care if Nintendo like turns up the eye of souron on them. Either way though, Sean, hey more switch to leaks.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Ganky is not actually partner with Nintendo. I believe.
Speaker 1: Yes, they are not like an officially licensed partner for Nintendo.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they're like they on the seal on their accessories. So first of all, it makes you wonder, like, well then how would they have stuff ready to go already? You know.
Speaker 1: The way that's got to work, right is just a manufacturer in China just has to have one of those things, and then those things just get spread around because I think a poet once said, China don't care. So I mean it's got.
Speaker 2: To correct, It's got to be mine here.
Speaker 1: Yes, uh yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's weird, okay, but but yeah, and then for them to just be so openly talking about it, and then you know, obviously D brand is D brand. They are be frank assholes in their market. And then of course they would their brand. Yeah, yeah, they would be antagonistic. But Gankey just got going out here and saying like, yeah, here's what it looks like. We made like a three D model, like three D printed model of it. Here's when it releases. Just I don't know, I know if that's a good idea for your company. You have to be honest.
Speaker 1: You don't want to be in the cross here some Nintendo No.
Speaker 2: Nintendo. Yeah, it's it'll be rough. But okay, do you RESI real quick?
Speaker 1: Yeah, get these synct I. Hey, these leaks keep happening. We keep saying Nintendo will reveal it soon. It does feel like we know just about everything switched to the joy Cons. We heard about those quite a while ago. Does look like they're gonna you know, they just kind of slot into the side. That's interesting. There's an optical, optical sensory looking thing on the side. I know you have this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I missed Nintendogs last night. I didn't hear you and my talking about this, has that anyone considered that it's not an optical sensor the way you think it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I was considering that when I first saw it, but then I was pretty convinced by the runner pads on the top of the bottom that like you would be on a mouse to make it go across the smooth surface. You mean the magnets, Yeah, are those just magnets? Yeah? You think those? Yeah, you think those.
Speaker 2: Those are where the magnets are, because where else would the magnets be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it just it has to look to it that has it looks it looks like that smooth plastic that is on a mouse. So what do you think it could be?
Speaker 2: Then it could just be for development, Jeff, we don't know anything about this thing. And this is the thing where I keep there's something about these switch two leaks where I keep seeing people jump from conclusion to conclusion to conclusion. Yes without fact. It's one thing when we get the motherboard leak and people can point to components on the board and say, oh, this is you know, blank component, this is a RAM module, this is whatever this is the nvidioship's or when someone looks at an alleged switch to joy con looks at like a clear piece of plastic on the side of it and says, well, it looks like an optical sensor, and our person says, oh, optical sensor. Oh, that's what's a mouse, And everyone's like, ah, it's a mouse. So he figured it out. It's like, haven't you we've been here before where what something has had like an extra HDMI Partnerone's like, oh is HDMI in what was this gonna do? What is this gonna happen? Turns out no, the dev kits they have surplus of HDMI port, so they used it for data right we ow? Oh no. So some of this is a little like people jumping to conclusions too fast. Maybe it is a mouse. I don't know. It seems a little Unnintendo like sure, Super Nintendo Mouse and all that. But some of these leagues are going a bit far. And you know, I see Jordan Midler keep posting like can they just reveal it already because it's almost like boring? How much we know it is.
Speaker 1: Boring at this point? Absolutely? I mean, I think, I think, honestly that the leaks might be doing Nintendo a little bit of a favor to get all the boring stuff out of the way so that they can, like the video can just be about the games or whatever, because this hardware was never going to be that exciting. Even if this thing is a mouse, that's only so exciting. Who cares, Like I have a mouse right in front of me right now on my computer, and I don't ever think about it in any exciting terms.
Speaker 2: Let's be real. Even if that was the case, it could be. Even if it was the case, it's gonna be like the IRA sounds there two games.
Speaker 1: That is what we said on last nintendocs. If it is, if it is this Nintendo, we'll use it in a couple of games, third party won't use it at all, and we'll forget about it a year from now.
Speaker 2: So yeah, physical hardware is the least interesting part of the switch too.
Speaker 1: Was going to be yes, based on what they're going for with this thing. Jay Mania and Chad does leak to something from gaming leaks and rumors that says the shipping manifest or manufacturing manifest I guess does refer to those things on the joy cons as mouse souls, Yeah, mouse souls, so whatever. Still we'll see shipping manifest is manufacturer manufacturing manifest. But you're right, yeah, exactly, this is fammy boards like doing the thing that you're talking about, kind of really honing in on the stuff, and one one leak sort of leads to speculation that leads to another week more speculation.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm trying to get it is that it's all speculation that people are sometimes taking as fact, and maybe some outlets are running with as actual news. It's like, no, everyone back up just a second. We think we may have figured out. Let's all calm down a little bit here. It's fun to speculate, but I think some people are just like, yeah, taking us fact a little bit too quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It just it does feel a little bit like the kind of gimmick that ends up in a switch to right where that Nintendo may be a slightly more conservative than they've been in the past, but still recognizing they need to be Nintendo about things like this thing is always going to include a IR camera like gimmick in it and something and this feels like that feels that slot pretty well.
Speaker 2: But well, even it was an optical sensor on. My first assumption wasn't mouse. My first assumption was, well, yeah, they're using powerful electro magnets to hold these things in place, and you make sure a finger isn't in the way or something.
Speaker 1: Could just be a camera, yeah, I mean yeah, could be I mean yeah, it could be just sending data or something like that. Who knows.
Speaker 2: It could be a bunch of stuff nice or yeah, it could just be like we talked about, the IR sensor, could just be a different version of the IR sensor.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely. But now even the Nintendo switch to logo has reportedly leaked. This is from Tom Iven at VGC. Nintendo switch to logo may have leaked. Universal Nintendo editor in chief ncro Philippe Lima claims to have seen the logo after being sent a photo of the unannounced console from a reliable source. Based on when he saw, he claims to have precisely recreated the logo and published it, published it online. And it's just switch logo with a two to the right, So yes, yeah, it definitely required a lot of effort there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lovely Sands serum too next to the switch logo, Like.
Speaker 1: Great, it really does this it's some of the steps bordering on the absurd of like, yeah, okay, I guess I guess this is probably the switch to logo.
Speaker 2: You know, there's red and post flooding. That's up right. I'm like, oh my god, the logo.
Speaker 1: Dude, Yes, I mean, what else were they going to do? Though, I guess I guess I'm getting to a little bit of point of where I'm like, oh, this is starting to get pretty disappointing. Of I'm not going to care about the switch to logo once this thing is in my hands, for sure, and probably not even once we start getting the videos. But in this moment where we're like we are just looking for the scraps, and I'm like, oh, that's it. That's the switch to logo. I don't know why I care, but for some reason, I'm like, Okay, I guess that's a little disappointing. I don't know, what do you think.
Speaker 2: I think it's a two, Jeff, we really are Grassman Straws here at this point where Yeah, I mean, like we said in the last news story, we're gonna care about the next Mario game, and you know, is there a new Mario Kart? And like what what sort of scaling are they doing on that chip there? And uh not a two next to this switchgo.
Speaker 1: I guess said, like looking at this, I got the video now up of the switch to uh there go from ce s from Ginky And the way the joy Con does sort of just insert into the side looks pretty satisfying, looks pretty sturdy and secure, which is an improvement that I definitely care about. I feel like the switch one. The way the joy Con attached to the to the system is a little bit not like unreliable, but just shaky enough that it makes it makes the whole system a little uncomfortable. This looks more.
Speaker 2: Solid, yeah, and it makes it seem a little more modern as well. Having those mechanical rails, you know, just literal metal metal and plastic, metal and metal, but having that metal and plastic working together always felt a little It's satisfying to get the click, but nowadays, in twenty twenty five, it does feel a bit outdated. Me. It's just because we've had the switch for so long, but having something where just sort of magically connects on first of all, very apple, very mag safe, but also it just looks elegant, you know, looking at this video. Yeah, if it just kind of slides on in there, that that's cool. And if it is if it is these really strong magnets that are going to hold it on in place and have it be reliable while also being easier to get on and off, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yep. And then here is a size comparison. Yeah, that looks much bigger than the sweitch. Geez god, the screen itself looks about as big as the DOC. I guess there's a little bit of a case around the edge.
Speaker 2: This is an original switch, I believe it is being compared to, so not doing a ton of favors, not compared to the o LED. It's not like for audio listeners. It's not like a gigantic step up. But it's like maybe what you would have envisioned like a switch ex al looking like see, you know, it's a little bit bigger.
Speaker 1: I think like if you take the average between the switch and the steam deck, I think it's you go in the middle of the bat to go that average and then lean a little bit towards the switch, and I think that's about that's about the size you should be imagining.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's very much switch shaped, it seems like roughly as slim as a switch, and everything is going to be a more just pleasant to hold device then, Like as much as I love that the steam deck that things, that thing's dick, oh yeah, absolutely, And that's like a game gear right there.
Speaker 1: And I think for like, I'm someone that maybe carried my switch with me and maybe even put in my pocket more than the average person. But I think most people do not do that at all. So I think recognizing that and making a device that it's more comfortable to hold, Like in my Genko Sean, what do you mean? Why do you give me that face?
Speaker 2: It's just wondering. Yeah, what Pantsy's still gallaying around.
Speaker 1: Nothing really these days? Actually that's but I definitely had some bigger pants that they would have fit in it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I pokes at the top a little bit, but a little bit, a little bit. Yeah this this do?
Speaker 2: Yeah in the summer, the cargo short, it's like, I'll give you that.
Speaker 1: I think when the Switch originally launched, I did a video of like trying to put it in my pocket and that did pretty well. That might that might still be on my YouTube page somewhere. But yeah, hey, I'm welcoming a slightly large device, especially since that screen looks pretty big. And You're right, it does look more comfortable to hold for long periods of time. Not that I ever had huge issues with the switch, but this until I played eighty hours of Dead Sales in a week that that destroyed my hands. Yeah, this looks pretty good.
Speaker 2: Hey, before we get off of cees, Vingbo's new and videographics cards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they seem pretty good. I think that the it seem that they took a little extra time from the forty series, right, and I think it feels like they really put quite a bit into there. And I don't think the prices are too bad. I think they are still I think graphics cards are just expensive across the board.
Speaker 2: They're just too expensive in generally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's been a trend for a long time. But I don't know, I think they're pretty impressive. And I am, like I have the forty ninety, so I'm not like rushing out to get something new, but I'm definitely keeping my eye on them. How about you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think because I need to build a new computer because, like I've mentioned, mine is like falling apart, So I'm i in that fifty seventy. I don't like that mine in that fifty seventy because five fifty eight cheap.
Speaker 1: Nope, But for a.
Speaker 2: Level of performance that they're given there, you know, like they're saying, if you use all of the RTX suite on these new cards, including like frame gen and everything like that, Man, getting forty ninety class performance in terms of frame rate and visuals out of a five to fifty card. That's that's feeling pretty good right about now, especially because it'd be better for me for like rendering videos and stuff too, that having that newer card with a newer encoder and everything on it. Forward to that, I was thinking about thinking about how expensive that is and how much money I'm gonna spend us build total. But my thought, boy, I'm like, man, even if you spend like twelve hundred dollars on gaming PC nowadays, that's really like a solid computer that's still in the ballpark of like a console and a computer separately. Just how how I justified to myself it's two devices and one I am going to use it as both devices. So I think I will get that fifty seventy because all the cars above that die spend that kind of money, I spend one thousand dollars plus on a graphics card. But yeah, I think that's why I'm gonna grab.
Speaker 1: I think that's the right that's the right sort of butter zone for the new crop of GPUs. And and yeah, I think if are you gaming on a high refresh rate monitor on one PC.
Speaker 2: I mean one twenty okay special.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think then fifty seventy is probably exactly right. I think if people are trying to do four K and anything above that, fifty eighty is gonna be pretty good for that. Especially with the LS four.
Speaker 2: You know the frames and you can get into the two hundreds, which is wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at four K like that that's I mean not every game obviously, but like many games, you're gonna be able to get like more than one hundred twenty frames per second at four K, and that is pretty interesting. Now at this point, it's just something I never was really considering before. I'm like, I'm not, I don't need a high refresh rate four K monitor. Some people bought those. You have one of those, this will be this will take huge advantage of that.
Speaker 2: Do you see what blurbuster is cooked up there with their new CRT shader.
Speaker 1: No I haven't looked recently.
Speaker 2: Is it man bfi black frame insertion that simulates a CRT like beam? So like the way it like goes from top to bottom and so like you can even demo it on what you have right now, if you have one twenty or above mod or and it looks real smooth. Jeff, it looks real nice. So uh yeah, some of the newer TVs I can do that. It's gonna look really good.
Speaker 1: Yep. That's kind of stuff definitely would be using it for. So yeah, okay, maybe I'll do that. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back. A Pokemon Presents. Is that happening? We'll talk about it right after this. All right, we are back and let's get right back into it with a data mind that suggests a Pokemon Presents twenty twenty five is coming soon. Issh, this is from Nintendo Everything. Fans are always anticipating a Pokemon Presents presentation to go along with Pokemon Day, and it looks like another event is planned for twenty twenty five. Twitter user Maddy o'conna conducted a Pokemon Go data mine and noticed a particular piece of code that has now appeared. It's pretty clear that, based on what stated, we're on tap for a new Pokemon Presents twenty twenty five broadcast on Pokemon Day. Obviously that isn't surprising given what's happened in the years past, but we'll take it regardless. Then they have an image here of the actual data. Mind but yeah, Sean, you're my Pokemon guy. What's happening?
Speaker 2: Yeah, O shit, Jeff, Yep. They do one every year, yep.
Speaker 1: And then they definitely have some Pokemon stuff happening. Like always, they have some stuff they got to talk about.
Speaker 3: So so I think if you don't know what the news story here is, and I think maybe the people reporting on this don't know what the new store here actually is, they data mine from Pokemon Go some Unova region stuff.
Speaker 2: That's the black and White region. Jeff, okay, And you know, we've had black and White on the brain because like, hey, where's that Black and White remake? It feels like we should be maybe thinking about that.
Speaker 1: I do, but it does feel like that's up next. That's where we're at with that.
Speaker 2: That would be up next. Yeah, brilliant Diamond Shining Pearl, So you know, jen fod that was the last one. And so we're thinking about Gen five black and White, and here we have data mind stuff from the Pokemon Presents, a Pokemon Go event that is all about Gen five. Well, Jeff, interesting thing. The trading card game is getting entire Gen five expansion in I believe it's June. That is just all of the Pokemon from Black and White. That's all it is. And so it's weird that we're getting expansion dedicated to black and white, a Pokemon Go event tied into Black and White specifically. All this stuff is like, is something finally happening with this was something supposed to happen and got delayed. I don't know. Weird thing about this even this point last year, so we're trying to figure out what's going on. It feels like they've been setting up for something. They've been teasing black and White on their social media for like months now. I don't know. Maybe it's finally time this year, maybe not. Maybe it's all a coincidence. Feels like a weird coincidence considering especially with the TCG, we haven't had a dedicad set like this outside of Gen one stuff because you know everyone wants those charizart cards and stuff. Right, we haven't had that kind of thing recently unless it's been tied into a game. So that's why are thinking maybe it's find a time.
Speaker 1: My my thing here is I am currently while you were talking there, looking up images of black and white, and I think this game looks fantastic.
Speaker 2: It looks so good.
Speaker 1: It looks so good.
Speaker 2: It was a two D before HG two D.
Speaker 1: Yes, and how are they gonna mess that up? Because I just feel like they're yes.
Speaker 2: No, it's gonna it's gonna look like a low budget mobile game is probably where we're at right now. A brilliant diamond shying pearls and indication. Yeah, which is why, like all of us Pokemon nerds have been really hesitant about this one, because boy, look at that r or look at that sprite work. Combined with the three D models, it looks fantastic. And if they don't put some TLC into this game, boy, it's gonna look like ass isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I think it's gonna think that's precarious, But I mean it's a Pokemon company, do they and Nintendo? You know, they sort of handcuffed themselves into during doing these things in a certain way. Maybe they're gonna break that with this one. Who knows. I think hud would be awesome for this, but you know, it's not like you just go pull that stuff off the shelf.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't follow a ton of the what they called the Taro leak out of Game Freak. I did and follow everything I came out of that. But between that and some some rumblings on the street, it sounds like Game Freak wasn't thrilled with the way Brilliant Diamond, Shining Pearl turned out. But those games turned out the way they did because they like pivoted from a really big remake to something else at the last minute. It sounds like, so maybe maybe they actually put a little more effort into and gives something more like the Gen three remakes, which were pretty good, pretty good on three D s there. So if we can get back to that, I think people would be happy generally.
Speaker 1: So Pokemon Day is February twenty seventh, so that you know, that is enough time. You know, of course there's always been enough time, but that's enough time for Nintendo to get maybe some switch To stuff out of the way, so that maybe the Pokemon company can talk a little bit more openly about what might be happening with ZA.
Speaker 2: No, because yes, please, no game announced thatd this Pokemon Presents is going to be on the switch to unless it's an upgrade part. That's why I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're probably right about you, probably because ZA will be because that's just how the Pokemon games have worked in the past, Right, They just focus on the thing that has one hundred million things out there, even if there is a new system, and they do that a little bit, they take a little bit longer to catch up on that than some other companies, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, usually not too long. Usually it's likely. Yeah, it's just like on average I think at this point like two years, so not not too far after maybe a year. So ZA is different enough, and it's more for the core audience. I can see them doing some kind of crosshend thing. We all know exactly what crosshend looks like on the switch to. That could be the case, maybe, like.
Speaker 1: Stuff might not be clarified, like well we're talking about oh, switch too could get announced that that announcement almost certainly does not have details like what does cross gen look like at that point, we probably get that a little bit later than even February twenty seventh.
Speaker 2: I think it depends on like what cross Sheen looks like, because if it's as simple as like, yes, your Switch games will run switch to and then that's it. They just get that out.
Speaker 1: Of the way totally. You're right, But I expect it to be a little bit more complicated than that.
Speaker 2: I excted it to be something a little bit more Yeah, so I guess we'll see. But yeah, like Gen ten for the thirtieth anniversary main sure I get my numbers right, that'll be next year. Maybe that's on Switch too, But yeah, well we're not going to start off with a like mainline or even remake Pokemon game spinoffs. Spinoffs come to the new console railway, so there's a spinoff ready to go that may even be like a Switch to launch game. But yeah, nothing nothing like major.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, let's let's keep going here. Although real quick want to note Dan Raykert and Chat says he is suited up as a reminder like Club happens right after Game mes Mornings is today, So we're gonna we're gonna try. Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I know parts of the suit. I actually don't know the full outfits. I'm excited to see this.
Speaker 1: I think I added a couple of things since you last saw as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think. So it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't. You're not gonna want to miss it. So as soon as we're done here, stay tuned, I'm gonna go down Dan, We'll come right back up. We'll do the intro. It's Terminator three, the term Dan Nator Reich of the machines. So you're not gonnaet everybody, All right, let's keep going. Xbox says it's handheld will combine the best of Xbox and Windows. Is from Jordan Miller at VGC. Microsoft is once again talking about it's yet as yet unannounced handheld, this time claiming it will combine the best of Xbox and Windows. As attended by the Verge, Microsoft's VP of Next Generation, Jason Ronald took part in a roundtable at CS titled the Future of Gaming Handhelds, where you shared further details about Microsoft's planned portable. We've been really innovating for a long time in the console space, and as we partner across the industry. It's really about how we bring those innovations that we've incubated and developed in the console space and bring them to PC and bring them to the handheld gaming space, he said. Microsoft's gaming CEO has reportedly hinted that it could create its own Steam Dex style Xbox blah blah blah. Expectations that we would do something in this category, blah blah blah. The Verge spoke to Ronald. I would say it's bringing the best of Xbox and Windows together because we have spent the last twenty years building a world class operating system, but it's really locked to the console, said Ronald. What we're doing is we're really focused on how do we bring those experiences for both players and developers to the broader Windows ecosystem. He added, I think at the end of the day, our goal is to make Windows great for gaming on any device. The reality is the Xbox operating system is built on top of Windows, so there's a lot of infrastructure that we built into the console space that we can bring to the PC space and really deliver that premium gaming experience on any device. Sean, this is mostly what I want to be hearing from them. I don't know how much I believe that this is going to be the thing that I want it to be. But my thing is always you pick up a switch, you know what it's going to do. When you pick it up, you know how it's going to behave and you are expecting to play games, and it gives you games. When you pick up a Windows based device, it is powerful and has all the broad support and all that stuff is awesome. But you pick it up and it's a little laptop without a keyboard in a mouse, and that's a little frustrating for me. Obviously, they can address some of those things, but boy, can they bridge the gap to make it feel more like a console, something I think is necessary I hope. So it sounds like that's what they're going for.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Well, what he's saying here, which first of all, changing the mass tyle to VP of next generation, it feels like such a current Xbox. They and do a second, what do you He's kind of trying to like speak in both directions here, What do you think this thing is? Do you think it is finally the handheld optimized version of Windows that people have been wanting for a while. Now or is it just running the Xbox operating system because for people don't know when they say Xbox is built on Windows is because the Windows like kernel is what power is an Xbox console like since the beginning has been extremely modified versions of Windows that form the operating system of Xbox consoles. I don't think that's what they would do at this point, but the ways talking around it makes us sound like you could go in out of direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, what is I think.
Speaker 2: I think the people from the console space who want Xbox handheld want like a switch style dedicated device, But it sounds to me like this is more of just a Windows handheld optimized heavily to like look and function like an Xbox.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, I think long term the best bet for them is to make a version of probably of the Xbox os directly for one of these devices, But don't I don't think that's what they'll end up doing. And I think they can do enough of the work to make Windows make you forget about Windows while being in the Xbox operating system, which is what I think. Well, I will be happy with if they can accomplish that, but I think that's a little bit more difficult, and I think long term it's like you know, you know, Steam using the Linux kernel and then Steam OS be being on top of that that has already solved a lot of these problems and it's only going to keep getting better with new features. You know, Windows could always just look archaic and weird compared to that. But again, it has the broad support, and I think that's what they want to maintain. And I think, you know, you build in the Xbox OS and the into their running the Windows kernel, a lot of that support would just kind of work. And especially if they are going to build a version of the Windows or the Xbox operating system for the new system that will allows you to install Steam and you plan all this other stuff, as rumors have suggested. Maybe maybe that is the direction they're headed. So I don't know. I think I'd be okay with either one. I think long term though, they are better off if they make something directly for this device that is a gaming operating system first and maybe exclusively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the big difference for anyone who doesn't know the text stuff here, even after that, the difference here is is this going to run the PC versions of games or the Xbox versions of games, which is a huge difference in terms of compatibility, because if you're running the PC versions of games, you're really only able to play games from like you know, and to have proper like what do they call the now glyphs like the controller icons and our thing and have controller support just works you really looking at like twenty fifteen onward. And you're also probably out of the box limited to what's available on the Xbox app. Because it is a Windows device, you can install our stores and whatever. But if it is the Xbox operating system, well then that presumably would use some compatibility layer to get all current games on there, all Xbox One games on there, are all backwards compatibility games on there, and so I think that would be a more successful device, But I think that's not the direction they're heading in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I agree with that where I think that would be preferable, the right move, and I doubt that that's what's happening, but harder to do, harder, which is why they probably wouldn't right exactly. They're always sort of one foot in and want to fit out with everything. I know. They seem like they're full bore on this, but I don't know. I just don't know if I believe it.
Speaker 2: It feels like it's going to be a Windows handheld where they heavily market the fact that I can run game pass games, because you know, what would be the difference between that as Steam Deck at this point, basically just the ability to run game pass games.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, let's keep moving here. Oblivion linked Virtuos is making an unannounced Unreal Engine five remake. This is from Tom. I've been at VGC. Virtuous is working on an unannounced remake in Unreal Engine five. That's according to the LinkedIn profile of Oleski Moscow Chinko, a technical art director at Virtuous in Shanghai, China. While the identity of the project remains a mystery, excuse me, it's reignited a speculation that a remake of two thousand and six The Elder Scrolls for Oblivion could be in development at Virtuos. And I think that's almost certainly what this is, so yes, and and uh, you know, people will immediately be like that is weird because you're gonna remake that whole thing unreal. Just as a reminder of the rumor which I haven't confirmed this, but the rumor at the time, from a couple of years ago or maybe last year, was that, uh, Virtuos was going to do this and they were going to remake the visuals and unreal and kind of link that on top of the scaffolding underneath would still be Creation Engine. And I listen, I don't know how that's gonna work, but that has been the rumor there. Uh, and I welcome that. Boy. I think that sounds like a good idea because I like Oblivion, uh, even though it was always kind of an ugly game. Uh, this this confixed that. Uh. I so I'm excited about this. It also to me it feels like them like experimenting and working with Virtuos to come up with a game plan to uh maybe make the future of Elder scrolls and and uh, you know what are these is a still gain or creation Engine is that's still what they call it now whatever? The Creation Engine two point zero for Future Game two yet to have unreal engine visuals on top of all of the bullshit that they still like to have where you can pick up every item in the world and things like that, and they don't want to get rid of that. So maybe this is a precursor to what happens with Elder Scroll six and Fallout five and beyond. But either way, I'm excited about this, how about you?
Speaker 2: Uh? I this is an interesting one because if I had heard this rumor with nothing linked to Oblivion before, I will have assumed it was the next Melgar remake because they're working on Delta.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So while we're going off of here, though, is that apparently last year is someone or two years ago now twenty twenty three, someone claiming to be a former employee there claimed that they were working on a remake of Oblivion. So that's what's leaning us in that direction, I suppose, which, okay, sure that that gives us selling a work off of Uh it feels a I don't know. I I'm not a huge Bethesda RPG person, so I don't know as much about the history here. It feels like something that would be odd for them to outsource personally. I feel like that's more something about Bethesda likes to do internally.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, we're at a point where they don't have a choice anymore, right, because if you want to do this sort of thing, that's the game works is not a massive studio we're talking. I guess you know, I'm just say a number like three hundred that's going to sound massive. But you know, they make big games that take a long time to make, and all those people work on that stuff the entire time. They kind of don't have the capacity to go and do one of these themselves at this point in time.
Speaker 2: But internal doesn't mean Bethesda anymore, it means Xbox. Yeah, so I think it still feels odd to go entirely outside the family. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not like Xbox has a ton of studios to spare either, though, I mean I don't they have a ton of studios, but they're all busy all the time, Banjo, and they're like, we don't, we don't ever know, We have no idea who can make that game.
Speaker 2: It hurts to us. Like remaking is something I think they're a little nude too new to. But they've done a lot of like HD stuff in the past, so they are very good at making these remasters and now remakes, so may they may. It is just one of those situations where they were just like, hey, let's go to a really good parting studio, remake studio, and see what they can do.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's awesome. All right, let's keep it going here as we get ready to wrap up so we can get it right into a black club here in a few minutes. Xbox Games and game Pass can lose eighty percent of premium sales, it's claimed from Jordan Midller at VGC. Xbox games included in the game Pass subscription service can reportedly expect to lose up to eighty percent of their predicted premium sales. That's according to business journalist Christopher Dring, who added that from multiple multiple multi platform titles excuse me, inclusion and game Pass can drive PS five sales. Speaking as part of a Q and A on the install based forums, Dring was asked his thoughts about game Pass and its impact on the market. Anecdotally, games that are in games can expect to lose around eighty percent of their expected sales on Xbox Dream wrote, that's the figure that gets thrown around. It's less if it's a big mainstream release, but generally, look at how Helblay two mainstream. Look at how hell Blay two charted, or where Indiana Jones came, or even Starfield game plass gameplass cast. Game Pass clearly hurts sales on Xbox, and I think it's like, yeah, duh, of course it will cost yes, but it's like, you know, getting a number put on it is helpful. I think it kind of maybe illustrates some of the choices Xboxes made recently where they're like, hey, well, you know, we did the game pass thing, and that was disruptive to a point, and that disruption now feels like it has settled and is just a natural part of the gaming landscape. We still want to make more money. We have money, we would like to have more of it, and so now we are going to be putting these games on PlayStation because that is a good way to make more money. I think that's just like you draw one dot, you draw the other dot, and now there's a clear line in between. I do wonder Sean like there's always been talk of Microsoft getting scared off of game Pass to the point where maybe they begin to deprecate it and step away from it. I do think they've stepped back half step. Do you think there's the full Do you think the full step is still on the table, where like maybe I mean, you know, day one games aren't included, some certain Day one games aren't included. I know there's a version of a game Pass that does have that, but maybe going even further than that.
Speaker 2: Well, right, because you need to be on Ultimate to get all of the Day one games on console is the way it works now. It's still a little confusing how they brought that up. I don't like that anymore. I think, Okay, so the situation here is, yeah, of course you lose a craptown of sales by having a subscription. Then clues everything because why would anyone buy something by default if it's part of a subscription that is very reasonably priced and you know, if you're especially in the console ecosystem, you're kind of expected to have at this point, So like, of course you're going to lose a craptown sales. I think game Pass just hasn't landed the way Xbox wanted it to where they were like, yeah, the growth isn't there anymore, at least where you know it's sell in a good place. They have a lot of subscribers still still bringing in a very good amount of money. How much is it offsetting how much you're losing on now seventy dollars sales of games. I do think that's part of the reason why they are expanding to PS five, because yeah, have your kk NIA too. Have it be day one game pass in the Xbox ecosystem, any Xbox platform, that's cool, and then you go over a PlayStation like six months later, get a bunch of seventy dollars purses. I think maybe that's the plan that works out for them in the long run, because again, reminder, console fanboyism, tribalism, it's all bs nobody actually cares about when it comes to business. They're looking at all of the money and maybe this is the mill ground they can reach where they encourage an audience to stay in their ecosystem using game pass, that's just an incentive for them, and then they find other ways to get those major purchases. Maybe that's the plan that works out for them. But I don't see them like eliminating game Pass in the near future as the at least as long as they want to continue to push their hardware in some way and continue to push apps the way they have been with the PC app, and they're expanding to the mobile app and everything like that. Because even if it feels weird now, even if it's no intuitive now, Eventually just having that Xbox app on someone's TV, especially if that TV happens to include a controller in the future out of the box, maybe they have a marketing deal there and someone can just you know, fire up their new TV and they say, oh, hey, and this controller lets me play games on too. That's convenient. I think that's where they are looking at in the future, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, and I think that was definitely the goal early on was like, Okay, we will supplement this with the core audience right now and let that sort of disrupt that space. But really the end goal here is to shoot past that and get to the more casual audience that is afraid of buying a five hundred dollars console and doesn't like spending sixty dollars on individual games, and we'll get them and that will make this whole thing makes sense. And that just they've not been able to get to that points, which is why it has settled in at like fifteen percent of their business, is what Phil Spencer said a couple of years ago, and he expects to be fifteen percent of the business going forward, and then they're not going to give that up. So game Pass is not going to go away. Jamie h Won two two four in chat says it it hurts sales, yes, but a recurrent subscription looks better to investors, doesn't it. It did while it was still growing. Now that it's not growing anymore, it is it a liability. I don't think that's now it that way, but maybe.
Speaker 2: Now it's become stable income, and now they should think about is the stable income offsetting potential growth.
Speaker 1: That's where they're at right now. Yeah, and I think, you know, I the toothpaste probably is out of the tube. They probably can't undo game Pass, and I don't think they want to. I don't think they want to.
Speaker 2: But I's where you actually lose trust with that audience exactly.
Speaker 1: And that's like they're they're walking a fine line where they want to encourage and engender that trust and that enthusiasm and that fanboyism to a certain degree. But I think they have recognized that that is not a pathway to the riches that they were expecting, and that it was a distraction and.
Speaker 2: Trying because the consoles aren't doing great exactly.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yeah, we like the reality is us we are not enough for these companies. Like for a long time we were, and we spend a lot of money on games and that made the whole thing go around. But they have sort of tapped us out and now they are looking at that growth and like, we can't get anything more from these nerds f them. So like, you know, we know they're going to keep buying our games, we got to look somewhere else. It's it's I'm a little bit, you know, scared about it, but that's just because I'm I can't sort of change the way I like to play games. So younger people who have a different way of looking at games and different taste, they're going to be just fine because these people are going to these companies are going to cater to them. Uh, and I will be left with the scraps. And you know that's that's what happens to old folks. So yeah, it's just where we're at all, right. Last story here, Suicide Squad studio rock Steady reportedly suffers more layoffs. Suicide Squad killed the Justice League. Developer rock Steady has reportedly been hit with fresh layoffs. That's according to Eurogamer, which said it had heard the news from a half dozen impacted employees. The cuts reportedly took place at the end of last year, impacting some programmers, arts artists, and QA staff. Let's see here. Yes, the QA department being more than half had from thirty three to fifteen staff. Yeah, the rim the sort of fallout from Suicide Squad did feel unfinished because they have a long time before they're going to be able to put another game, and them continuing to reduce costs while they reload for something next did feel inevitable at a certain point. And here we are. You know, that is a company that is under Warner Brothers, a clown show if there ever was one. So this being the continuing result of that game not performing is not too surprising. It just it just stinks because it's like boy Boy, that game that developed rad hit after hit after hit one bet one thing goes wrong and here we are, and that's just what the industry is like, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's just another layer to the City Jase situation we've been in for a while now. And yeah, Suicide Squad definitely did not help that at all because that game had a whole bunch of rockiness around it. So I guess it's may this was to be expected, but it's very unfortunate and definitely thoughts going out to that team because I'll deserve better.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get this show wrapped up. I'll get the pull right here. Do you like the idea of using a switch to JOYCN as a mouse? I do, and I am in the minority. Forty four percent like that idea of fifty six percent do not. We have a new poll question. We'll get to that here in a second, But first, Sean, where can people find you on the internet?
Speaker 2: Ping? Find me? Oh at turboshaan dot com. Sahawn, that is my blue Sky handle now, And hey, I got the domain, you know, because I had to, and it just redirects to blues guys. It's nice and easy to.
Speaker 1: Do that for mind.
Speaker 2: I kind of like, how, Yeah, it's neat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a pretty good system they got over there. I'm a big yeah.
Speaker 2: The Blue Sky naming scheme still seems confusing just thinking it as an email address and everything starts to click into place a lot.
Speaker 1: And it's almost exactly the same as the email protocol, right, that's what the whole thing is built.
Speaker 2: It's a no what's interesting is that every page is an individual website is how they do it internally, which is so Yeah, I kind of like email, but very interesting. But yeah, find me in here giant bomb dot com. You know, we got stuff going on for rest of the week. We got a very exciting show right after this here you're watching live. I'm looking forward to that. It's gonna be a fun wrestling week.
Speaker 1: I could see that they're in the other room right now getting set up. Yeah, yeah, so yeah, have you ever played the Elder Scrolls for Oblivion? Yes? Or no? That's the new polk question. What's happening on Giant Bomb Blake Club right now? We will have a voicemail dump truck tomorrow. I don't know if we even talked about that, but we probably are half of one tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're doing meeting later day, I think.
Speaker 1: Still, yeah, that sounds right, and then Rotor Black Club Friday. I think we got some stuff planned BCR. We will We're definitely gonna do the roundup of what happened with the Fantasy Critic last year, but we're also going to maybe maybe take a look at the Rolling Stones Top fifty games of all time.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we could do that too. We'll figure out what we're doing on Friday, because it also may schedule next Diract. We'll see what's going on.
Speaker 1: And then Marvel Rivals we might play some of that. I think is.
Speaker 2: What's fantastic for two of.
Speaker 1: The four characters are launching. I guess the other two are launching. Okay, interesting, Yeah, I mean I think, I mean, four characters at once is too much, so I'm not surprised they're doing it this way.
Speaker 2: Oh last thing I forgot to mention, because it's I haven't really talked about since holiday break. Go read all of our top tens. We talked about that on the BombCast, my top ten list. I would appreciate people, you know that they like what I had to write. I would appreciate if everyone go read that because as always I put way much work into that I didn't need to, and so I'd appreciate people reading it.
Speaker 1: Yep. Please everyone go check out all the guest lists. For sure, they're all very good. Yep. Everything. Everyone did a lot of great work on there. I guess. Okay, it has to been confirmed. I could say it. Alex Navarro is waiting for us in Blake club. We should go get to that. With that in mind, Sean, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talk about video games. Man. You know I always appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Hey, always a pleasure, always a good time. Jeff, get the hell I here, Mike, and get to that next show now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna do it right now. Thank you everybody for watching you the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.