Speaker 1: This is WBZ Boston's news radio. We defining local news. All right, We're gonna go ahead and do this all over again. It is Monday once again in Boston, and we're waking up with some pretty hefty wind gusts and some solid rain falling down on us as well. It is also fifty eight degrees here in the city. Six o'clock this Monday morning in the News at six is brought to us by your new England Toyota Dealer, your Hybrid all wheel drive headquarters. Thanks for being here today. I'm Jeff Brown. You know what they say, rainy days and Mondays.
Speaker 2: Rain, some heavy and a thunderstorm will continue for much of today. Watch for flooding, especially up street and in poor drainage areas.
Speaker 1: Kind is wbz acuweather meteorologist Heather's are highs around sixty today. Sunshine is coming back tomorrow. About a million people jam into South Boston for the annual Saint Patrick's Day Parade, and thirteen of them will have a date in court. All hands on deck for Boston Police who make nine arrest and issue citations for four others two four others, including a juvenile. All eyes on public drunkenness and indeed possession of alcohol among the charges. Others include assault and battery on a police officer and destruction of property. Today is Saint Patrick's Day, It's also Evacuation Day. It's a holiday in Boston and all of Suffolk County and celebrations are underway before the sun comes up.
Speaker 3: For years, South Street Diner has been a beacon of hope and of corn of beef for those celebrating the Irish holiday. For many, it's a must go to destination.
Speaker 4: Very busy yes, people coming into Boston to go see the parade and then people on their way out after the parade.
Speaker 3: There was no rain for the Saint Patrick's Day parade, but manager Shennon McNeil can't stay the same for today.
Speaker 4: Well, I think with the rain it's kind of unpredictable yesterday because it was so nice though, you know, we had a lot more people.
Speaker 3: I think those who do brave the elements, they will be greeted with hot food, a green decor that would make a leprechaun blush, and of course corse the diner's famous shamrock shaik at South Street Diner. James Rojas WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: The Fedral judge puts the government on notice and an eight thirty am deadline today. The court wants a response to the deportation of a Rhode Island doctor when it specifically told US Customs officials to hold off on any proceedings until the Court had a chance to look into the case. Doctor Rasha Alauea, a kidney specialist at Brown University and Rhode Island Hospital, has been removed from the country. Alouea was taken into custody at Logan Airport after returning from a visit with her parents in Lebanon last week. Officials say despite the fact that she had been issued in H one B visa, Bruins hope to end the two games slide. Tonight. They'll shuffle off to Buffalo take on the Sabers. Later on. Celtics are off until tomorrow night. They're back home to take on the Nets, and the Red Sox host the Orioles in spring training baseball in Fort Myers, Florida. No winner, no chicken dinner at least yet. Pro Golf continues this morning in Florida.
Speaker 5: The Players Championship is still going. After whether DeLay's impacted the golf tournament over the weekend. But the field is gone. It's just Rory McElroy, JJ spawn a trophy and oh yeah, a four point five million dollar pay day. They're both tied at twelve under and ready to go for a three hole playoff. Playing the iconic last three holes of TBC Sawgrass down in Jacksonville. That island green on whole seventeen. Seems a lot easier for the professionals, but anything can happen in a playoff. McElroy and Spawned t off at nine am. Jerre Brosnan WBZ Boston's News Radio, I.
Speaker 1: Think rain is coming down at a pretty good clip into every location here in eastern Massachusetts this morning. We've got some downpours and some steady rain elsewhere. It is a very mild fifty eight degrees out the door this morning. We will be in the lower sixties this afternoon, but it looks like it's going to be a damp day at the very least, and certainly some periods of heavy rain throughout the rest of the morning hours before we finally start to settle this down a little bit this afternoon. A couple of showers will be left over overnight tonight as we drop down to about forty plenty of sunshine back at us to tomorrow, it is going to be a high temperature in the middle fifties. Wednesday is the final day of winter. It is a mix of clouds and sun, a high near fifty along the waterfront, mid fifties and inland locations. And the first day of spring on Thursday looks like mostly cloudy and a shower, pretty typical of spring like conditions. Temps will be in the fifties on Thursday as well. Right now, it's fifty eight and raining at a pretty good clip pretty much everywhere. This morning, Good morning, it's six oh five. It is full steam ahead on the MBTA's Red Line.
Speaker 2: Teas general manager Philip Ang says, this is just the beginning. That's the sound of a Red Line train on the brain Tree branch moving at fifty miles an hour. The tea tells me it's the first time the trains have gone that speed in twenty years.
Speaker 3: Well, pri have to see it to believe it, because I don't know, you know, they say the slow zones are gone and it's still slow.
Speaker 1: But I'm excited.
Speaker 2: It's Christian's first time taking the tea with the new peppin it step. Emmanuel rides the Red Line every day, and since he just got off, I asked him if it feels any faster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe that's pretty sure, but I feel like, yeah, it could be fasted.
Speaker 2: Though he says it's hard to know exactly what fifty miles an hour feels like when you're on a crowded train with eyes on your destination. The NBTA celebrated the end of slow zones last year, after removing the final ones from the Green Line in Cambridge. I'm a Friedman w BZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: Jury selection in the second murder trial of Karen Reid is expected to begin two weeks from tomorrow, but tonight, the first of a three part documentary about the Mansfield woman's first murder trial begins on the Investigation Discovery Channel. The series is expected to include behind the scenes footage and interviews from key players in her first trial, which ended in a hung jury last summer in Norfolk Superior Court. Reid faces the same three charges in her upcoming retrial, despite numerous attempts to close the case. The first episode in the documentary airs tonight for the first time since his month long hospitalization, the world catches a glimpse of Pope Francis. The Vatican releases a photo of the pontiff to the faithful as many gather below the window to his room at Jammelli Hospital in Rome. The Pope is seen sitting in a wheelchair in front of an altar at a small chapel inside that hospital. Doctor say the eighty eight year old continues to respond pretty well the treatment of double pneumonia. There is still non timetable for his discharge from the hospital. Authorities in the Dominican Republic this morning are not allowing an American college student to leave spring break.
Speaker 6: Joshua Reebee, the man police believed to be the last person to have seen missing University of Pittsburgh student Sadikha Kananki, facing questions from Dominican prosecutors.
Speaker 3: For days.
Speaker 6: Local authorities have maintained Reebe is not a suspect. He is still being considered a witness to a possible drowning, but now sources familiar with the investigation say the lead prosecutor is examining possible contradictions in his story.
Speaker 1: That's ABC's Aeriel Reschef Friends of the twenty two year old Reebe back Home say he exemplifies values of compassion, respect, and integrity, and they support their friend. You are now in the OO. For news updates throughout the day, listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Jeff Brown, WBZ, Boston's news radio