Speaker 1: All right, let's get it. It is drive time on a Tuesday afternoon. It's about ten minutes fast the hour of two o'clock. It's cold today, does not feel like me. It is rainy and cloudy and chilly. It's about fifty degrees here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. As we're gonna have a couple of days of chilly weather and yeah, very I don't know, early April, late March type day, in late March type week, but as it is every single day, it's gonna have you along.
Speaker 2: For the ride.
Speaker 1: Spence check, it's beyond the Mike Porter Larsen behind the glass. We have a lot to do on today's show, a lot to do on today's show. Last night, quite frankly, one of the most consequential nights in pro basketball that we've seen in a long long time.
Speaker 3: And only time will tell how this is going to play out.
Speaker 1: So of course, the big story locally of the day today and the night last night was the Utah has falling to number five in the draft lottery. Now, as I was sitting there and we'll get in all this, we got opening tip. We've got a bunch of great guest today including a couple of guests that were live in Chicago in the room where it happened. Shout out Hamilton on a Tuesday. It's not rigged. Okay, it's just not. It's not. It sucks, but it's not rigged. So we'll get into it. But I think the last thing I said before we signed off last night, right before five o'clock so we could bring you the lottery live was worst case scenario is simply the Jazz Fond of five because I think most people believe it's a tier four player draft at the top.
Speaker 3: One tier with four players.
Speaker 1: Now we're going to get into why that could be total nonsense, and we're going to try to bring some levity in, some calmness, and some optimism to the market today after a night that felt like a gut punch, there's no other way around it. I guess Ryan Smith on a run and let out a primal scream as the sun was rising over the Wassas Mountain.
Speaker 3: Did you do that too, point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just wanted to step in there and let you know.
Speaker 1: So you went on a run this morning and as the sun was rising over the mountains, you also.
Speaker 3: Let out a primal roar every morning though.
Speaker 4: That's the difference between Ryan and I.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Porter does that every day, but apparently Ryan letting out some seam.
Speaker 3: Look, we'll get into it. We'll talk about some players the Jazz could look at.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about what this could mean for the NBA big picture. So if you're Adam Silver, you're actually pretty pleased with how this went down, because everybody is talking about your league today. So we'll get into it, and then of course we will talk about and look, I'm a Knicks fan. That was probably the biggest win that the New York Knicks have had in twenty five years. Mike Breen set it himself on the broadcast, but I got a say, man, I love Jason Tatum.
Speaker 3: I don't care who he plays for, and that sucks.
Speaker 1: We're waiting word on what the MRI will reveal, and I'm not one of those guys that pretends on a doctor on air, so I'm not even gonna go there. I think we all know what it looked like, and the fear is out there that this could be pretty catastrophic. So we'll get to it. We'll talk about some of the games that went down last night. We'll talk about what could go down tonight.
Speaker 3: We'll preview tonight's action.
Speaker 1: Anthony Edwards really woke up in the second half and the Warriors looked like they're cooked.
Speaker 3: There is a.
Speaker 1: Word out of Golden State that they're going to try to get Steph back for Game five in Minneapolis.
Speaker 3: To hope, hopefully get back excuse me, hopefully.
Speaker 1: Get that back down to Golden State to give them a chance. But thirteen teams in the history of pro basketball have come back from a three to one.
Speaker 3: Deficit, so it looks like Golden State's cooked. I'm not ready to say the nixt A're gonna win the series.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you why a little bit later on, and tonight we'll see if the Calves can.
Speaker 3: Get back into it.
Speaker 1: Donovan Mitchell is a game time decision. The Pacers are going to try to put away the Calves a Rocket Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, and then what should be a knockdown, draft out heavyweight NBA matchup. The Denver Nuggets are in Oklahoma City at Pecon to take on the OKAC Thunder. So we'll get to some of some of the NBA storylines, and yeah, of course we'll talk some draft.
Speaker 3: We'll talk some big picture of jazz and.
Speaker 1: What could uh you know, what it could mean, and we'll we'll talk about, you know, basically, what the mocks look like and what most people believe the jazz is going to do at number five. So a lot to do on a chaotic Tuesday afternoon edition of the program.
Speaker 3: Our first guest.
Speaker 1: Right out of the gates is going to be Andy Larson, who covers the Utah Jazz for.
Speaker 3: The Salt Lake Tribune.
Speaker 1: Andy was in the Sacred Walls in Chicago where the NBA Draft lottery was held.
Speaker 3: So we'll see what Andy.
Speaker 1: Has to say about all these accusations about script writing in the NBA. How dare you NBA basketball? We'll get Andy's take, and then Tim McMahon stops by. Of course, Tim covers the jazz well. He covers the jazz. Sometimes hasn't covered the jaz as much as of late, but ver there's the Mavericks decent data. Talk to him about the Mavericks who won the NBA draft lottery depot a one point eight percent chance of doing so. Richard Smith will be live in studio for an entire hour. Smitty spent forty years with Utah Jazz and a lot of draft processes, a lot of player acquisition, talent evaluation.
Speaker 3: So we'll bring in Smitty today.
Speaker 1: Then our buddy A Lemeteo, who I interview a couple of times a year when the All polycamp is going on. So we have some college football for you guys later on.
Speaker 3: As well.
Speaker 1: Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson are now Hall of Fame eligible. There's a piece of news I was not expecting today, as Major League Baseball's lifted the band.
Speaker 3: Of course, both those gentlemen are no longer with us. Rest in peace.
Speaker 1: So Andy Larson, Tim McMahon, Richard Smith, A lemitel Me Spence check at all of you, the great listeners, and that guy Porter Larson who every morning goes on a run and as the sun is rising over the Wassatch Mountains, let's out I primal scream. Tell me, young man, how did you digest the NBA Draft lottery last night?
Speaker 5: I don't know that I'm up at sunset or sun rise enough to do that, but yeah, man, it's it's It's gotta be a gut punch if you're a jazz fan. Uh, just a visceral reaction online. I was I was walking home. We had just hung up and I stopped at I sick frets that the little deli.
Speaker 4: It's awesome.
Speaker 5: I grabbed a little sandwich and actually it took it took a minute. So I ended up watching the beginning of the lottery at the deli, thinking I'd get home in time for the the Jazz pick. Well it didn't take long, and I just thought to myself, Man, that has got to be a real gut punch if you're a fan who is kind of hinged, your expectations, your timeline, everything about this rebuild process onto having a top pick in this year's NBA draft, and listen, man, that's that's always wishful thinking. But it really seemed like Jazz fans were getting awfully, awfully familiar with one Cooper flag, and to not only drop, but to drop to number five the worst possible scenario for the Jazz. That that's a that's a tough pill to swallow. It's it's kind of ironic because markets like this one, we have been kind of lobbying for lowered, flattened lottery odds right for years and years and years, and now you know, we're where we see them and they don't give us the results that we want.
Speaker 4: And the script is completely flipped.
Speaker 5: So it's interesting to see, like you I you know, I'm a I'm a guy.
Speaker 4: I'm open to conspiracies. Let's be clear.
Speaker 5: I'm open to them, but I need in order to in order for a conspiracy, I needed to have just a little bit of lakes. I need some little bit of like actual evidence, and then we can go with it. This is ping pong balls that don't some some that sometimes don't go your way. And man, they did not last night.
Speaker 3: No they didn't.
Speaker 1: So we'll get into it. We'll talk to our guests about it. We got three really good NBA guests on the show today. Then we'll do some college football later on. Andy Larson will join us right out of the gates, but on a Tuesday prior to Andy hopping by courtesy of our friends at Prize Picks, It is time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the Drive with Spence check its on Utah's number one Sports talk now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Cash in on the Basketball playoffs with Prize Picks, don't miss your last chance. You have your favorite players from the court to your Prize Picks lineup, whether it's points, rebounds, or assists. Take your pick of more or less for your shot to one up to two thousand times your cash. Today you can turn those playoff thought takes and the tickets to Basketball's Championship series starting with.
Speaker 3: The playing around.
Speaker 1: Every lineup you make on Prize Picks will enter you into the Take two ticket sweepstakes, which could get to you and a plus one a VIP trip to the ship.
Speaker 3: So here's what you do.
Speaker 1: You download that Prize Picks out today, use that promo code ESPN seven hundred at checkout. They're going to give you fifty bucks when you place your first five dollars lineup. You do not even have to win the bet to get to fifty. It is on the house tonight. I am going more on Aaron Gordon one point five three point shots made. I'm going less on Miles Turner twenty four points. I'm gonna go more on Shay Gillis Alexander thirty one points. I think Guesga goes off tonight and I'll take you know what, give me more on Nikola Joks twenty eight point five points as well.
Speaker 3: That kind of feels low.
Speaker 1: I think the two MVP candidates are gonna go out of tonight and it should be a fun game between Oklahoma City and the Denver Nuggets.
Speaker 3: All right, last night, say good night.
Speaker 1: A little bit early because we were fortunate enough to have the NBA Draft Lottery on our radio station just after five o'clock, So sign off air, grab the dog, we rush home, and I'm able to sit down just in time to watch Mark Tatum walk to the podium to kind of break the news to NBA fans about how this NBA Draft lottery went down. So, the Utah Jazz with a fourteen percent chance of getting the number one overall pick, along with the Washington Wizards and the Charlotte Hornets, the three worst team in Pro basketball this year, and ultimately the most likely scenario for the Jazz was to land at five according to the numbers. According to the percentages, the Jazz had about a forty eight point seven percent chance of getting the number five overall pick. So the reality of the entire situation is what happened last night was the most likely scenario for the Jazz. Okay, So I don't really have patience today for jazz fans to scream foul and scream this is rigged and scream this is scripted. While I understand the frustration and honestly share some of that frustration that in fifty one years of existence, the Utah Jazz have quite literally never received any lottery luck. Right, the Jazz have moved up, They've had opportunities to move up, and as Canter comes to mind, Darren Williams comes to mind, But the Jazz are now one of five I think it's five or six NBA franchises that have never had the number one overall pick. But the ultimate explanation here the bottom line. Okay, So what we're going to do today to explain this is simply go back to the the Okham razor theory, which is, among competing hypotheses, the simplest one is generally the best. If you have two competing ideas to explain the same phenomenon, you should prefer the simpler one. And the simpler one is the one that's real, whether you like it or not, and that is it is a lottery. It is a raffle, and it is completely up to chance, and that's all it is. The NBA lottery system is not rigged. It's not okay? Now, does that mean that there are not a few dynamics that have occurred throughout the NBA lottery that aren't a bit uncomfortable and even a bit okay, Like there's something that doesn't smell right here.
Speaker 3: I'm not denying that at all.
Speaker 1: And the fact that the Dallas Mavericks moved off of Lukadancic and are simply just getting the next superstar in their back pocket without ever really even making the attempt to be in the right spot to do that, I understand why that doesn't land well, certainly with Jazz fans or Wizard fans or Hornets fans. The three teams are the best chance of moving up to grab number one overall. I get that, Okay. There have been things that have happened in the past, with the Pelicans getting the number one overall pick after Chris Paul left, the Cavs getting the number one overall pick after Lebron left, Okay, I get all that right, and I'm not even saying it's wrong, and I'm not even saying I entirely disagree. There's something about some of these scenarios that are a little bit uncomfortable. But the bottom line is we just live in a society right now that when something doesn't go your way, you either claim that it's rigged or people are cheating, or it was taken from you. Okay, whether it is elections, whether it's lack of trust in our institutions, If it doesn't go your way, suddenly the fix is in.
Speaker 3: Suddenly it's rigged. It is a lottery, and the.
Speaker 1: Jazz had a fourteen percent chance of getting the number one overall pick. Let's be real, that's not a great percentage. Because what Adam Silver decided to do, love it or hate it, And this is what I tend to have a little bit of an issue of the way the league has handled this. In twenty nineteen, Adam Silver in the league office decided to flatten the lottery odds. Okay, so now we have six different data points and examples of how this stuff goes down. And you know how many times the worst team in pro basketball has received number one overall pick since the odds have been flattened, The answer is zero.
Speaker 3: Not one time. Last year the.
Speaker 1: Hawks three point three percent chance of getting number one they did. Where were you last year crying a foul because it was Atlanta and it was Zachary Reschache, Like, it doesn't change the dynamic.
Speaker 3: That it's a lottery. Have you ever played the lottery?
Speaker 1: Drive across the border to Idaho or whatever, you drop one hundred bucks on some tickets and you lose. Do you claim it's rigged or do you understand the risk that you're taking? I mean, the reaction today is kind of like you hear all those office pools where a bunch of people in the same office chip in a couple hundred bucks to buy a bunch of lottery tickets, and it's like, you know, let's say you and a group of I don't know, we'll use fourteen. You and a group of fourteen people decide you're all going to play the lottery. Okay, So you drive up to Idaho, Wyoming wherever it's legal closest, and all of you drop a couple hundred bucks on lottery tickets.
Speaker 3: And your richest friend is the one who wins the lottery?
Speaker 1: Is it rigged or did the right numbers just pop up randomly because that's the way lotteries work, Like we will ackham raiser this thing today. The simplest explanation is usually the right one. And the bottom line is the wrong ping pong balls popped up for the Jazz last night and the right ping pong balls.
Speaker 3: Popped up for the Dallas Mavericks. Is that uncomfortable? Yeah? For sure? Does it suck? It does?
Speaker 1: And I was pulling for the Jazz to grab at least number two, if not number one overall, to get Cooper Flagger, Dylan Harper and jump start this thing because if we're honest, it's been three years of mediocrity at best and pathetic play at times at worse, and it makes it really hard to be engaged to give a rip about what they're doing. But the message Adam Silver sent the league lover Hated is we don't want you to tank. We know what tanking does to fan bases, we know what tanking does to communities, we know what tanking does to players and coaches.
Speaker 3: We don't want you to do that.
Speaker 1: So we're not gonna do what the NFL does and simply reverse it inverse standings to reward the worst team. We're not going to do that, because we want you to make the best effort possible, put your best foot forward to try to build the best team you can. It's also why they implemented the second apron and a more punitive salary tax penalty for big spenders, so you can't keep super teams together. Like we'll get to the Tatum stuff in a moment, but the fact of the matter is the Boston Celtics were probably going to be torn down this offseason in a way, even if Tatum was healthy, and even if they won the championship.
Speaker 3: They have new ownership, they have a roster.
Speaker 1: That's why the expensive and no matter how much money you have, we learned what scares billionaires who own NBA teams, punitive financial penalties for paying too much money to keep your roster together. So Adam Silver did this thing where he's like, all right, we're not going to simply reward the worst teams for trying to lose. We're not gonna do that, and we're actually gonna make it harder for the worst teams to move up.
Speaker 3: They did that in twenty nineteen. We have six years of drafts.
Speaker 1: Now zero times has the worst team in pro basketball received the number one overall pick. On the other side, he said, we're also going to make it harder for owners to keep their great teams together because we're going to make the financial penalties more punitive. We've already seen the Denver Nuggets move off good players a couple of different times. Bruce Brown, Contavious Caldwell, Pope, Jeff Green. I mean, yes, that's not in the most overwhelming list of players, but those were key contributors and key cox to championship level teams. Denver had to jettison them, trying to plug holes with young players like Christian Brown and veteran minimums like Russell Westbrook. The Golden State Warriors had to make a really difficult decision on Klay Thompson to try to expedite that decision with players like Buddy Healed and cheaper veteran players like It's it's a little bit of a two tiered approach where, Okay, we're not going to simply reward you for trying to lose.
Speaker 3: We don't believe that that is the right move.
Speaker 1: As far as having integrity in your endeavor and treating the league in the game the right way. We want you as a front office to put your best foot forward and try to win. Now, there are complications in trying to do that in Salt Lake juxtaposed to South Beach or LA. So we need to be honest about that. And that's why last night's stung. Because what the Jazz we're selling you all year long is there is a reward at the end of the tunnel for all this pain tolerance we're asking you to go through as a fan base. And so you were sitting there last night expecting the reward to come, and it didn't. Even though, oh it was numerically and statistically the most likely outcome, it still sucked. I felt horrible for Ashley Ryan's wife, that poor girl man sitting there with that oh.
Speaker 3: My gosh look on her face.
Speaker 1: After Mark Tatum reveals that the Jazz fall to five, which was the lowest possible even though it was the highest possible scenario based on the percentages, the Jazz could not fall further than five.
Speaker 3: That was their floor.
Speaker 1: But again, Washington falls to six, Charlotte falls, and you know, Dallas is rewarded again, which makes it really uncomfortable. And I can't really refute any of that, but I'll end with this. For all the hey, my guy didn't win the election, so it was stolen crowd. For all the hey, my team didn't get the number one pick, so it's rigged crowd. Ever since the NBA went to its lottery structure, the team in market that has been most fortunate and rewarded most by it, by far, is the San Antonio Spurs. San Antonio is one of the least desirable markets in the entire league. We're a bigger market than San Antonio. And if there's a number two, it's probably the Cleveland Cavaliers. That might be, in my opinion, the worst market in Pro basketball. If there's number three, it might be the New Orleans Pelicans New Orleans Fun Town.
Speaker 3: But no, it's not New York, LA, Chicago, Miami.
Speaker 1: They have not gift wrapped every big star to bigger markets. The San Antonio Spurs literally had a dynasty that caused TV ratings to go into the tank. When Zion Williamson, who if he would ever stay healthy consistently, is one of those dudes. When he was coming out of Duke the team with the best chance at the number one overall pick was the New York Knicks.
Speaker 3: It went to the New Orleans Pelicans.
Speaker 1: So for every data point you can throw at me about Hey, New Orleans gets the number one pick.
Speaker 3: After the Chris.
Speaker 1: Paul debacle, Hey Cleveland gets the number one pick after Lebron leaves Wow, Nico Harrison trades Luka Doncic and they get Cooper Flagg to step in. For every one of those you can throw at me, I can throw twenty of them back at you. To refute your point that this thing is rigged. The bottom line is we live in a society now. When results don't go your way, you cry that it was stolen, you cry that it was rigged. No, that's just life, and especially when it's literally called a lottery, literally called the lottery. Finally, the implications at place for Ernst and Young, the NBA, anybody involved to have this thing rigged, felonies, lawsuits, billions of dollars. It might actually crumble the league if there was ever any actual evidence of impropriety, and by the way, there never has been.
Speaker 7: The fifth pick in draft will be made by the Utah Jazz. The number one pick in the twenty five NBA Draft goes to the Dallas Mavericks.
Speaker 3: You're just gonna rub it in, aren't you? All day? You're just gonna misbehave and rub it in all day, aren't you.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I don't know what to do. I know it hurts, but we have to talk it out. I guess we get out now.
Speaker 8: We do.
Speaker 1: We do and it does hurt, but you know, it's the reality of how this process works.
Speaker 3: Love it or not.
Speaker 1: Whether or not you think it should be changed, certainly a different conversation. But our first guest on a Tuesday afternoon was in the.
Speaker 3: Room where it happened.
Speaker 1: Shout out Hamilton, Andy Larson, Salid tribute Andy, Happy Tuesday, buddy.
Speaker 3: How are we doing? Hello? Andy? Hello? Andy? What's going on with Andy?
Speaker 9: Can you hear me?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 3: Hi Andy?
Speaker 9: How are you sorry about that? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Well how about you?
Speaker 3: I'm well? So are you still in Chicago?
Speaker 2: I am? Yeah?
Speaker 4: You are all being here.
Speaker 9: They do the media availability tomorrow with all the all the players here at the combine, so we'll get the chance to talk to everyone kind of in the jazz is range along with a feu jake or demon and then head back Thursday.
Speaker 1: All right, Andy, So I'm just gonna ask you to respond to folks, and we just simply live in a time where if a result doesn't go your way, or if you don't understand why something is the way it is, the easy thing to do is yell that it's rigged or it was stolen or it was taken from you. And the reality is where the jazz landed last night was the most you know, the chances were the highest of the jazz are going to land where they did. Now, I know it stings, But for all of the hey this is rigged and the fixes in crowd, what do you have to say?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Look, I was stunned that that was as much of the reaction as it was that, you know, when I pulled my followers yesterday on Twitter that seventy six present to respond and said that they felt that the lottery is rigged, and I, I don't know me Like, look I was, I was in the room. You can see the ping pong ball blow around until one gets sucked up and then they call the number and then you know there are four that a combination of four different ping pong balls. You're not really sure which team it's going to be into that last King Pong ball all is drawn, and you know, so it would be extremely difficult to rig given that you have fourteen team executives there, you know, ten of which who are going home unhappy and are are going to have every reason to, you know, raise concern if something were to go wrong, plus fourteen media members there who would make their careers if they could, you know, really report out that the that the lottery was rigged. And then like, okay, let's say that it is rigged in favor of the Dallas Mavericks, you know, in return for giving Luca Dong just to the Lakers, which you know suffum both ends of that deal. But like, how did they convince Amthony Davis to go down with an injury? And how did they get Kyrie to tear his tendency? You know, so we won't play all next season? Right like this that doesn't make sense. They were a playoff team before then, So this like quid pro quote people are the conspiracy theories are turning out It just doesn't make any sense, guys, Like it is, it's the perfect theory that like makes so much sense if you think about it. For exactly er point five milliseconds, and then you know, the rest of us grow up from being twelve years old to kind of understand that, like, hey, the world works this way sometimes and a whole lot of the time you're gonna get unlucky. And that's that's what happened with the last night.
Speaker 3: That's why they call it a lottery.
Speaker 1: And you know, for all of the for every piece of if I don't know if you want to call a proof or maybe just an example that feels a little bit uncomfortable, I can throw twenty examples back at you to anicay, this thing is not rigged and it's just how lotteries work. Now, I understand the disappointment, and honestly, Andy, I share in it. I mean, I was hoping last night the Jazz would land at one, and I was hoping that Cooper Flag would be on his way to our market, because we badly need this team to be far more relevant than it has been outside of the little bubble of people that believe it's more relevant than it actually is. Like I have national guests on my show every year or every day during the NBA season, and I can't even ask them anything about the team outside of like, hey, what will Cooper flag look like in a Jazz uniform? So I understand the frustration, but it doesn't mean that the fix is in. We just live in this time and place where if something doesn't go your way, instead of critically thinking about it, it's easy to say it was stolen, it was rigged, it was taken from me. Right, here's where I want to go next, though. Do you like this current format? Because in twenty nineteen, they flatten the odds and essentially they're not I'm rewarding the worst teams in pro basketball. So that's the message from the league office, like, we don't want you to tank, right, Like, we don't believe that that is a decision that is steeped in integrity and respect for the way this thing is built.
Speaker 3: Do you like the way that the current lottery is set up?
Speaker 9: Yeah? And I mean then didn't last night work out? Because the Jazz tanked harder and more blatantly and more anti competitively and less honorably than any other team in the NBA this year and potentially like honestly in league history. Like John Collins played forty games this season and was healthy all year long, right like that, it's crazy. You had Walker Kessler missing games as a twenty three year old due to rest when there were days off in between games. You had him shooting five threes a game even though you knew that he can't shoot threes, right, even though he is a fifty percent free throw shooter. You were kind of hoping that, hey, let's go in and see how many threes walking shoot, and in fact made him run in practice when he didn't get up at least five a game, like come on, like you know the idea. Yes, this went badly for the Jazz, but from a league perspective, like if you want if your number one priority is preventing teams from tanking, then this is absolutely what you want. I think there's a conversation to be had on do you want teams to tank less than you want them to reward them with the number one overall selection or the best draft selections?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 9: Like, is the should the priority be parody to some extent that you can cycle these teams out of the bottom, get them higher into contention windows more quickly, and then all of a sudden, Okay, it doesn't make any sense to flatten the lottery odds like they did in twenty nineteen. So I think, to me, honestly, that probably should be more of a priority than preventing tanking. But given that preventing tanking was seen as the league's number one issue in twenty nineteen and it's still seen as so important today, then what happened last night makes sense, like and it fits within that that setup. It just totally depends on what your priorities are as a result. Look, the Jazz are going to be bad for fix years to come. But you know what if the Jazz were in the league, you know, if they're in European Soccer or whatever, a team without a draft or a draft that does a league without a draft, or a league where drafts don't matter right like, then you just see teams stagnate at the top and at the bottom of the league. So anyway, I think it's a totally fair conversation to have, and is a conversation in fact, that the league most powerful people are having at the combine and in these Chicago hotel rooms as we speak.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, ultimately people around here today don't want to hear this. But for all the pushback and for all the flak that the NBA is take today and that Adam Silver is taking today. Last night was an absolute win for them because it's going to make the off season incredibly interesting for a league that loses a ton of its market share to Pro football quite frankly, in just a.
Speaker 3: Matter of you know, five or six weeks.
Speaker 1: Last night was an absolute win for the NBA based on what they try to accomplish by flattening those odds in twenty nineteen. It's going to bring attention, intrigue, probably gonna bring a lot of moves, probably going to bring some trades, maybe even some big time trades on Draft night. So folks don't want to hear that today because what it was in Andy was a win for the Jazz. And again, when it's not a win for your side, the easy thing to do without being a critical thinker is yelled that you know it's rigged and that it's been stolen. The complicated thing, though, is what does this mean for a roster construction in a city like Salt Lake, for a team like the Jazz that, if we're honest, Andy, have not found franchise pillars that wanted to stay here longer than seven or eight years since John and Carl were here.
Speaker 3: And that's the reality. So what's next? What do they do? What do the Jazz do? What are the next steps?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean you draft the best player who can at number five, and look, I think there are probably three guys with like some some kind of star upside at number five. I don't think like it's a hopeless position to be and I think you'd much rather be the Jazz at number five than the Wizards at number six. And then look, you can sell yourself on the Hey, you can always trade for Trey Young, you can always trade for Zion Williamson, and the Jazz have draft assets to do that. And heck, you know, maybe that makes sense. Maybe you give up on the tanking thing and just kind of go for it with that level of player. Then you need something crazy to happen with the rest of the roster, right Like otherwise you are in the Atlanta or you know, New Orleans kind of the the middle treadmill where you know, you need a second star to to appear next to those guys, Like I think the Tray Young, Lowry Markin and Walker Kessler team is a thirty five win team. You know, maybe a little bit less given how competitive the Western conferences. But on the other hand, you do have the chance to make the play in tournament, and then you have a chance for things to go right if there are injuries and your side of the bracket or whatever right like so, or if somebody unexpectedly pops and becomes a star you know that you didn't see coming, like a Nicola jokicch for example. So that's one pass forward. The other pass forward is stay the course and tank again next year and go for Aja Debansa and Cam Booser and Darren Peterson and these guys who are projected be franchise changing players next year. I mean, it's too soon, really, do I think understand what the Jazz want to do. I think there is some uncertainty as to like what Ryan Smith will instruct the team to do, and whether or not, you know he is this as a turning point in the team's decision making or again, if they want to.
Speaker 3: Stay the course all right.
Speaker 1: So I felt so bad for Ashley Smith, who had this look on her face after Mark Tatum revealed the envelope with the Jazz at five that she had just seen a ghost. But that's all we could see on TV you were there, you know, the reaction of the other jazz contingent, Ryan whoever else was there? What did that look and sound like? After I was revealed the Jazz were picking at five?
Speaker 9: Yeah, so I, you know, had a lot of interaction with Justin Zannik because he was in the lottery room and we had an hour to watch the TV show after the lottery happens, but we're sequestered in that room until the TV show ends, and so yeah, I had a lot of time to get just Zenic's reaction, which his shot disappointed, you know, and you know was just kind of bewildered laster at like how unlucky they had gotten and kind of what had happened and with the with the ping pong balls last night. Then you can you kind of get that out of this room. You have to grab your envelope from the table which has all your phone and watches and everything else in it. And then so then I run upstairs to the ballroom and as I run out, it's Ryan Smith walking out with his family, like clearly just stun devastated, like he gave me it's just a shake of his head like he was distraught. I think that's the right word to say, as as you know, was just leaving that room as quickly as possible where the TV studio at the filming happens. And then you know, saw Will Hardy for a second, who you know, just again was kind of disappointed, more silent rather than anything else. Uh never saw Danny Ames. And then after that followed Justin Zannik back to a hotel suite where we did the post media availability kind of on the record. So yeah, that's kind of what I seren last night in terms of running into those guys. Have seen a couple of them today at the Draft Combine itself. But like you know, there's an understanding like, yes, we prepared for worst case scenario, but we were really hoping best case scenario or at least an okay case scenario happened last night and worst case scenarios struck and a means that this starts all over again and is as it's not a great place to be as a franchise site.
Speaker 1: And they know that, all right, So let's dig into the number five pick.
Speaker 3: And I suppose it depends on who you read, who you listen to.
Speaker 1: You know, the Athletics got a couple of guys that do a really good job. Gavoni, over to ESPN, has been pretty steadfast. His belief is that there are four players in order, and I don't think he's changed his order once and he didn't change it today.
Speaker 3: That are franchise changing pieces, of.
Speaker 1: Course, And this is according to to Gavoni, because to your point, Andy, you can find franchise changing pieces at forty two or wherever Jokic win. And you know, I can't help but think about the draft process for Stephen Curry, who literally was a generational changer. I think he went seven, So Cooper Flag at one, and then Dylan Harper too.
Speaker 3: We'll see what san Antonio does.
Speaker 1: Like I said, if you're the NBA, last night was a win because there's gonna be a lot of intrigue about some of these moves. Ace Bailey at three, this is Givoni vj Edgecum at four. Then he has the Jazz taking Jeremiah Fears, a point guard out of Oklahoma. Trey Johnson, who can really shoot it from Texas, will be there. And then you get into, like I get the Jazz fan frustration. We're like, wait a second, we just lost almost seventy games and Kank Nipple might be the prize to respect. But best case scenario at five Andy, in your opinion, sounds like what I've honestly.
Speaker 9: Got to, like look at these guys and make a firm decision for kind of myself on who's that. You know, I've watched a decent amount of film and trying to understand and you know, honestly, some of that process it's going to be talking to them tomorrow and learning more about their personalities. So like Ace Bailey right, like is a tremendous shooter. Shot forty six percent on mid range shots last year, which is awesome, Like you know, to make that many of your tough mide range shots is star level. And then it's like, okay, but why did you take two hundred mid rangers last year? And why were you not able to get to the rim more often or the free throw line more often? And why are your turnover numbers as bad? And you know, ultimately, do you think that you have to be Carmelo Anthony in order to succeed in the NBA? Or are you willing to work on your role player skills? Are you you willing to use your links and athleticism to block shots and defend and move the ball and be part of the good offense rather than just be offense. Like I'm excited to learn about those things when we get the chance to talk to them tomorrow. Vj. Edsom is a better pick by a lot of draft model if you just look at like the statistical analysis models. You know, Darryl Morian Phildelphia is gonna care a lot about but he's also you know, just six four and and is not did not have great shooting numbers in his freshman year. On the other hand, his block and steel numbers are terrific, and he also was a terrific dunker. So the athleticism is really popping kind of on boltons of floor. So that's nice. And then yeah, you know, I think probably those two guys are taking number three and number four. And then you're left with Trey Johnson, a good shooter. Does he do the other things you need in order to win? Does he defense? Does he playmake as well as he needs to? You know, I think that's a real question. I think there's a real chance that he's like pretty buddy healthy in the NBA. And then Jeremiah Fears, who is a tiny point guard but is as dynamic as as it gets and put up some really awesome stats in his freshman year. Our guy Jason Patakia, and this should not be trusted at all, is a huge Oklahoma you know who is an Oklahoma Sooner. Went to ou O you daily guy. He says he's Kyrie Irving and I'm like, dude.
Speaker 2: No he's not.
Speaker 9: Can like best casey be like dearon Foxy Okay, Maybe all of a sudden I can start to see it. So look, you know, this is the first top five pick. This is spin. This is a spin Justin Zanna gave yesterday. But it's true. This is the first top five picked the Jazz I've had since twenty fourteen. And you are going to get a higher caliber prospect at number five than you were at number nine or number ten when you were drafting Taylor Hendricks or Cody Williams.
Speaker 1: So as I alluded to and talked about this off the top.
Speaker 3: Today, as a result of how.
Speaker 1: This went down last night, there's a tremendous possibility for a lot of movements.
Speaker 3: A lot of players could be available.
Speaker 1: We already know that according to Shams Giannis is open to being moved. By the way, it's now been verified Jason Tatum did rupture his achilles, so he's going to be out obviously for at least a year, and we'll see how he comes back. But you know, when you look at the situation in Boston, new ownership group, second Apron team, awesome but really expensive, and now the Tatum injury, there's a chance that some of those Celtics could be available as well. Now San Antonio is very interesting too because they have Daron Fox and everyone loves Dylan Harper. But of course tremendous redundancy to have those two on the same roster with a ball dominant type you know, a redundant field because the two of them are somewhat similar.
Speaker 3: So you got San Antonio.
Speaker 1: Oklahoma City has to be brought up because they have a compendium of assets and a bunch of really good young players. The problem with will the Jazz get involved in any of these transactions is yes, they have the capital, but other teams have similar you know, trade capital in their back pocket. But what the other teams have that the Jazz don't is Okay, see can be like, hey, we'll give you five picks Jalen Williams and chet and whatever for Giannis. And the Jazz don't have that package. They don't have the package San Antonio does. They don't have the package Houston does. So yes, they have the draft capital. But you know, what does lowry marketing really do for you? And I guess that you know, beauty is in the eye of the behoulder. Is there any chance the Jazz have what it takes to get bold and try to get involved with some of these acquisitions to get better players here or maybe even move up in the draft.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 9: I mean, I think you can move up to three in the draft realistically, if you really want to, if that's meaningful to you, I think there is that opportunity. I don't think really number two or number one is realistic. I think that if you wanted to, I think Giannis is out of the picture for the reasons you describe, you just are going to be beat by significantly better teams with significantly better players to trade to Milwaukee that are more intriguing and all the draft app that's you can want, you know, whether that's from Houston or Opoma City or San Antonio, like teams just can.
Speaker 2: Make a better package.
Speaker 9: Where I do think the Jazz could if they wanted to get into it is on kind of that next tier of star. So do you want to take on Zion Williamson and his issues? Do you want to take on John Morant in his issues? Do you want to take on Trey Young in his issues?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I think you can have those conversations if the Celtics decide to turn it around quickly or just decide they're paying Jalen Brown too much money. Is that an option? I can see a world in which it is, And you know, I don't think he is going to demand a Gyiannis level of return. I think there are a few situations around the league, like, if you really wanted to, you could trade for Kevin Durant Mike. Now do the Jazz want to? I don't think that that makes a lot of sense given Kevin Durant's age, But it is an option. So you're just not going to get the perfect superstar out there, like a Janis who's like clearly top five player in the world, clearly in his prime. Uh. And you know, because you're right that the other teams have more to offer. That's not draft capital that the Jazz just can't match with the Keyante Georges of the world.
Speaker 1: Oh dear well, Andy, before I set you loose, uh, just best guess and I'll just tell you my take on this. I think next year is gonna feel a lot like this year. Uh you know, call it tanking, call it whatever you want. And I've been a proponent of this because I just don't see any other avenue to, you know, for the Jazz to acquire the type of talent they need in order to establish a cornerstone franchise, changing peace, to change.
Speaker 3: Your trajectory, what the future could look like.
Speaker 1: I still believe their best chance is to do this in the lottery, and I still believe their best chance is to lose and have the best chance possible of getting one of those picks. I know today is the most unpopular day to say that. I don't know what else they do. So before I set you loose, my guess is next year looks and feels a lot like this year for the Jazz.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I kind of agree, And I mean the thing about the lottery being when it is is that you have a month and a week between now and the actual NBA draft. I guess six weeks to make decisions and to slow down and not react emotionally to what happened yesterday. And you know, I think there is an absolute temptation today that, hey, you should change what to you know, what the plan is, right, like change the process, try to be competitive and go in the Atlanta and Chicago route, which hey, you know will make games more interesting next year and be a lot more fun. What I suspect is that the Jazz do the calculations and do the mass and decide for the same reasons they decided this year that tanking is probably the best option next year, given who's available in the lottery, and given that in order to keep their Oklamas that he picked in the Derek Favors trade, they need to be one of the eight worst teams in the NBA. So I suspect ultimately you're right, they just stay with the status quo, even though it feels like such a dumb thing to do right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, today's the most unpopular day to talk about it, But you know, I think that's the reality. All right, my guy, Well, save travels and we'll get you back on again soon.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 9: Andy, all right, sounds good.
Speaker 8: Thanks Ben.
Speaker 1: Andy Larson covers the Utah Jazz for the Salt Lake Tribune Live on the ground in Chicago. The NBA Draft Combine is going on right now, obviously, the day after the NBA Draft Lottery, which turned out to be just a brutal gut punch for jazz fans. And we'll get back to some of this coming up in a bit. But on the other side, we'll do some college football. Lemon Tao stops by. Andy stopped by today courtesy of our friends at IFA Country Stores, and he drive to the basket begins with the first step on the court.
Speaker 3: That's the ultimate power move. IFA Step one.
Speaker 1: Crabgrass Preventor plus their lawn food is the first choice to give your yard the healthy, thick green look you desire.
Speaker 3: The neighbors will be green with envy.
Speaker 1: Shop IFA online at IFA dot co op, or stop by one of their eighteen Utah locations today.
Speaker 3: All right, Tim McMahon's gonna stop by.
Speaker 1: Tim covers ESPN, excuse me, covers the NBA for ESPN covers the Utah Jazz, the Dallas Mavericks, among others. Good day to have Tim on the program. A little bit of breaking news. It is official Jason Tatum has ruptured as achilles tendon. He already had surgery, so the recovery process begins now.
Speaker 3: Just to horrible news for a really, really good player who just entered his prime. Don't forget.
Speaker 1: Richard Smith stops by live in studio for an entire hour. Smith he spent forty years with the Utah Jazz. But let's bring in my buddy, A lemon Teou who stops by to talk about the All Poly Sports camp coming up.
Speaker 3: A Lemon happ you Tuesday, man, How you.
Speaker 8: Doing doing fine? Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Appreciate the time. Appreciate the time.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of your time of year as we're approaching the All Poly camp. But I've been interviewing you. I don't know, I feel like once a year for a long long time. So just before our listeners are unfamiliar, tell us about it. What do you want our listeners to know from like a macro viewpoint about all poly sports.
Speaker 8: So right now we're rated the number one contact camp in the country non institutional camps by the College Coaches of America. We're excited about that. We're going on twenty seven years, and we've had the opportunity of you know, waiting to see some great players come through and also see the elevation of high school football here in the great state of Utah.
Speaker 1: So I'll let's get some dates and locations. When is one of the actual camps going down and where they're going to be.
Speaker 8: Our right and Start camp will be June seventeenth, and our college prospect camp is going to be June eighteenth. Both will be held at the Lompeak Park here in Sandy.
Speaker 1: And over the years, as you reference, the high school football scene in our states has evolved and continues to evolve with players not just you know eleven. When I was growing up and felt like all the best players went to either b Y, you were Utah. Nothing wrong with that, But now we see players going all over the country and a number of players continue to go to the NFL to play pro football.
Speaker 3: Tell me, Alema, from your vantage point, how.
Speaker 1: The college football Excuse me, the high school football scene in the state of Utah has grown since you kind of started doing this.
Speaker 8: Well, I'll tell you right now, I honestly believe that the coaching here in Utah at the high school level is awesome. We got a lot of outstanding coaches who are very committed to the game and who are also have great teachers, you know. Not only that, and outside of you know, the great coaches that we have here in the state of Utah, we have outstanding traders. Guys that are taking kids I mean off season and really you know, honing in their skills. You know, I mean the skilled position guys, you know, I mean are doing some great things. I know we've got you know, Mattossi who does our Beast training does a great job with this linebackers, got the OPA training guys. They do a lot of stuff with the line and competition, I know, protech trenches and uh Boss gills. Uh those those are front guys that do a fabulous job. You know, we're we're known for for our front guys online d line guys. But people are underestimate the fact that we've had great quarterbacks come through City Utah as well. You know, I mean, I think this year we got three of the best quarterbacks in the country at the high school level. With the Cosuma kid at the Corner Canyon, you got the little Poppy kid at West and uh the Lone Peak kid kept a new metta. Those three guys, in my opinion, are outstanding quarterbacks that are going to make us some noise this year.
Speaker 3: So probably should be very clear.
Speaker 10: Lema.
Speaker 1: I know this because I'm familiar with you, but the name of the camp is all poly sports.
Speaker 3: But you are open to everyone.
Speaker 8: Yes, opened to everyone, inclusive of any and all. So yeah, originally started that way, but uh, you know, as the ability got bigger, and you know, we decided to make sure that everybody had the same opportunity. So uh uh you know, we've had great non pologies kids come through with the Kruger brothers. As you know, I had great careers, you know. Uh, and I see a kid very shimulary to those guys and Crew Jones. You know, he's an outstanding defensive lineman you know up in the Cash County area who's doing a great job. And that guy's being recruited all over the country. So he came to Dark Camp last year and just whooped everybody's trash. And uh, you know, he's really big on the recruiting scene right now, and there'll be more guys like him, uh coming to few as well. So uh, I want to say this, the Uh. In my opinion. UH, the there's a young man by the name of Kingston Stroshine. His dad runs Stroke Film. It's uh, he's only in eighth grade, going into the ninth grade. I project him to be uh part of the top recruit out of the state of Utah within the next couple of years. He is that good and UH I look forward to seeing him in shoulder pads and doing this thing at camp this year.
Speaker 1: Give our listeners a lemma an idea of just kind of the schedule how this camp works. Uh, you know what you do in the morning, the drills and such. Coaches that are present, give it. If we've got listeners who have some some some young man who they think might benefit from your camp, what's the feel like?
Speaker 3: What do you guys do.
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 8: But for we have three sessions, Okay, each camp has three sessions. First session, it's gonna be the helmet's only kids will come through, run through positions, specific grills with the different college coaches, and then they're gonna put him into various teams. The second session, we'll start off with some some limited contact where we're going to instill or install and offense and a defense. So the kids are gonna have to learn, you know, a scheme you know, at college tempo during that second period, and then the third period we'll go through a review session and then we're going to scrimmage at the end. And then during that time, you know, you see the cream rise to the top. And so over the years, we've had some very spirited, uh scrimmage years, and you know, the the level of competition that that that shows itself at the end is amazing and so uh and you will see a lot of college coaches around there during that time, just kind of taking notes and uh sneak and peak at at kids from the different parts of the country.
Speaker 1: So so lot local college coaches, coaches from around the country checking out these kids. I wonder, Alemma, how you because we talked about the changing landscape of high school football in Utah and how it's grown. What about the landscape of college football in Utah. Somebody has been around football forever. Uh, what do you what do you make of the current state of the college game and the changes that have been implement over the past four years.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, in a sense, man, it's uh, it's kind of level of the playing field, you know, and then I mean, you know before backs, you know, within I mean as recently as three four years ago, everybody was going to Alabama.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: Now that's not the case anymore. I mean, uh, you know, the dollar has taken over the game. You know, it's unfortunate because you know, you don't have the stability of the roster. You know, from year to year. I mean ten years ago, you knew if you signed somewhere, the chances are you're gonna be there for four to five years. Now the projection is, man, you're gonna be average. You guys are gonna transfer two times, you know, which is unfortunate, Which is unfortunate because they don't get that that growth or that experience, you know, in one program. And so I mean, it's it's it's specially it's basically professional football now, you know, in all sense of the word. You know, they're they're following the uh, the NFL model. Everybody's got a GM now instead of a DFO, and those guys got to manage the roster. And and you know, obviously they're paying the players now.
Speaker 11: So uh.
Speaker 8: And then what I'm finding out and the word I'm getting from a lot of the college coaches that I deal with is you know, everybody is more concerned with what the NIL deal versus what kind of education can I get or how, you know, how can you develop me as a football player? Which which is?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: The sad thing now is I meet every year with a lot of the college guys and a lot of the a lot of the recruiting courterinators out of convention, and this year it was basically like, we just don't have the time to develop players anymore. So we got to recruit guys that can come in. Now that means, you know, only the top tier high school players are going to be able to get a shot to get that D one scholarship, you know. So it's it's different, you know. I mean there's a plus center minus, you know, and so everybody's just going to have to adjust to it.
Speaker 3: So from a boat oh yeah, no, great.
Speaker 1: Now, Now let me move over here, because from a local standpoint, you know, we're broadcasting a mile away from Ryseckles and we're the home of the Utes and have a good relationship with all the b YU guys as well. I mean, hell half of them coached here anyway. So how do you feel the Kyle and Kalani are positioned to make sure that they continue on the right path to make sure the b YU and b YU and Utah football can can keep having success.
Speaker 8: You know, I know this. They're they're only going to have access to good players. The problem isn't within BYU or or Utah itself, is the outside guys that are run interference, you know, with their best players. You know, there's you know, there are predators out there that are going to go after their best players. And that to me is probably going to be the hardest thing to do for our local schools is how do you keep those guys away from our best players? You know, That's that's that's a tough job moving forward, because no matter what DNC double A says, hey man, you know and outside so it's is gonna come in and say he and they meet me at McDonald they got to brown back for you and that's the end of the story. You're gone, you know. So that's the biggest problem I see, and that that that's gonna that's gonna hurt them is both institutions do a great job recruiting and developing players and even taking players that are not even rating and turning them into four five star level players. But can they keep on keep those guys on the roster? You know, that's tough part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean that that's kind of where my head is at.
Speaker 1: I mean because as you know, Kyle's best teams, certainly if you go back to Sugar Bowl, go back to back twelve championships, like you know, the deal, like the ethos is, uh, we will develop you and you know, if you're not ready to play right out of the gates, give us some time, put in the work, do what we ask you to do, and then when you're a third, fourth, fifth year guy, you'll be ready to roll, and so will we.
Speaker 3: I mean that's kind of all he's been. The deal.
Speaker 1: Is that type of model sustainable in modern day college football?
Speaker 8: Geez? I? And honestly, I don't like the direction that the college football is taken, and it's not. I don't think it's sustainable, you know, in my opinion, you know, just because you can't, I mean, you can't. You can't if you can't keep your best players, you know, how do you expect to be good year in the year out? You know when you know that, Yeah, I'm gonna I just signed a five star d lineman or whole lineman or whatever, knowing that, hey, if I don't give this guy enough playing time his freshman year, he's gone, you know. And if he's not happy with the offense, shoot, he's gone.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 8: So there's so many variables that are going to attack the game. I think it really to me, it handcuffs the coaches, you know, on how they can do their job. You know, they're they're expected to go out and recruit the best players they possibly can. You're a saying, you know, try to help these guys create these nil deals and then keep them happy. I mean, but then when you try to do that, shoot, what happens to the plan be guys that are in your backup guys, you know, I mean, they get left behind. So man, I you know, in the NFL you can do that. That's just part of the game. But to try to do that at the college level, I think it urged the game. My personal opinion.
Speaker 1: Tell me, if you've noticed, as you're working with these young players, a difference in the attitude, a difference in the approach of both the players and I'll say the parents around them or the groups around them, now that there's so much money at stake, Alemma, and money immediately, not money in four or five years when they maybe they make the NFL. Now that these young men can make hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more as an eighteen year old freshman.
Speaker 3: Have you noticed a change in kind of.
Speaker 1: The attitude of the young kids and the people around them that you work with every year?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm telling you right now, the difference is this. I mean, when I was sixteen, fifteen, sixteen, I was just I was just happy to be hanging out with my guys, playing ball in the park, you know, just doing fun things.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: Now, hey, guys at fifteen aren't getting financial planners, you know, I mean, they're you know, I mean, if you're that good of a player, now you're gonna have to start, you know, looking for the right kind of legal advice, the right kind of financial planner. People are starting to prep you for the next you know, six years of your life, you know, I mean, and so which in turn, I mean, parents are different now too. Parents all feel like you know that, hey, you know, my kid's going to be the guy. So you know, they're they're into the negotiation game as well. I mean all the parents that are involved with with the with the anile stuff, the recruiting stuff. You know, some of them get it, but a lot of them don't. And she I think that hurts him. So the attitude of the kids have changed too, Like there's no loyalty even at the high school level. I mean, kid can play three different high schools in four years, you know, so everybody's going to try to go to where the best deal is. And that's a sad thing, right And you know, I've been a high school coach for you know, thirty plus years. I love the development part and the long term relationship that you've been able to get with the athlete. Man, that's going by the wayside. That's going by the wayside because even the high school kids are transferring after one and two years.
Speaker 1: So if you had any advice, if we have parents listening to the show who have a young promising football player, what advice would you give them?
Speaker 8: If you're as good as if the kids as good as as as everybody says he is he has, he would be okay where he's at. You know, he's They're gonna find them the way recruiting is right now, and they find those guys they you know, you know, each each division won or pe for school. They got paid a lot of money just to find the best players out there. So I mean, be careful not to you not to just jump and run, you know. I mean, we develop, you know, that's that's my thing. Developed and get better where you're at, you know now if it's you know, obviously I can't speak for everybody, but geez, you know, you're just you're just telling people that, hey, things get hard, you're gonna up and go, you know. So I don't know if that helps your recruiting that much too, you know, so, but I would tell them to they make sure you surround yourself with good people that you trust, that have the best interest in mind, you know. And I meet with a lot of parents, say, a lot of people come to me and I tell them, hey, the landscape of the high school recruiting is different now, and so you need to learn how to manage it. You know, they're gonna have to learn how to deal with it. And so if you're in a position, if I'm a parent and I got a good kid, maybe I try to learn how to be a negotiator myself, you know, because you got other services out there that are available. You know you got to pay money for those. But you know that's up to you obviously. But you know, no one loves their kids more than their parents. So I always encouraged parents study, study the game, learn, learn about it. You know, if you're in a position to do it, then go in.
Speaker 2: And do it.
Speaker 8: It's not then reach reach out to other services that you have trust in and see if they can help you.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm up for so you lose one more time all poly Sports camp. Tell us the dates, tell us the location, all the good stuff you want our listeners to know.
Speaker 8: The Rising Star Camp is going to be June seventeenth. Now, the one unique thing about the Writing Star Camp, going back to the recruiting conversation, is right now, we got to target these kids as every as we possibly can. So we hope to identify some of the top players in the country in the grade seven, eight to nine at this year's camp. So, but that's it's going to be June seventeenth. June eighteenth is our college prospect camp. We're excited to get kids that come down and you know and let me because again one percent are going to get the offers. The other ninety nine you need to be at the All poly Camping friends of the twenty five different colleges there so you can showcase.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 3: Well you go, Thank you, my friend. I appreciate the time. Best of luck and reach out if you need.
Speaker 8: Okay, thank you, have a great date.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Let me tell the website is allpolysports dot com. That's all polysports dot com. As you as an Alemma reference the dates. Rising Stars camp will be June seventeenth at Lone Peak Park in Sandy and then the College Prospects twenty twenty five camp the next day at June twenty eighth, also at Lone Peak Park.
Speaker 3: You get deals with early registration. Oh you know what that has ended. Nevermind, you still get.
Speaker 1: Deals right now as opposed to just walking up the day of the camp.
Speaker 3: So check it out.
Speaker 1: All polysports dot com is the website where you can get all the information.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Tim McMahon is going to join us coming up next. Tim just released a piece on the Dallas Mavericks. According to Tim sources, and Tim would know, Dallas will not be trading the number one overall pick and they are going to draft themselves a young man named Cooper flag Elema stop spot today courtesy of our friends at the Daybreak Home and Gardens Show, which coming up May the sixteenth through the eighteenth. It's the Ballpark at America First Square one one one one one. That's a great address. Ballpark drive in South Jordan. Check out the Best Home Show dot com is their website, So listen up, Palm owners. Spring is in the air, the birds are chirping, the flowers are blooming. Is your home or backyard sanctuary ready to enjoy the coming season? Go check out the new Daybreak Home and Garden Show coming to the Ballpark at America First Square May the sixteenth through the eighteenth. Note this new show will have something for every family member, so check it out. Vendors galore, home garden and patio, free games for the kids, free day seminars, and hourly free prizes. Come toward the exciting new tidy home from box House and tour the new Bee's ball Park.
Speaker 3: You can get your tickets now.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be the most exciting, fun educational home show ever in Daybreak. Get tickets and information at the Best homeshow dot Com, sponsored by our friends at Bullfrog Spot's.
Speaker 6: Next on the drive, Tim McMahon dropping dimes for your NBA Daily assists.
Speaker 12: Van McMahon, Vancman that is ding old Land, Texas flood tickets. Mud He's and Manvan McMahon, Van mcman The man.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 1: All right, Richard Smith about a half hour from now. Smith, he spent forty years with Utah Jazz front office. He's already here and he is about to take me to task for my opinion last year that the Jazz were doing the right thing tanking for their lottery luck.
Speaker 3: But our next guest, you know.
Speaker 1: Him, you love him, timmick Man, Tuesday afternoon. All right, Tim, the whole thing is rigged. The whole thing is fixed. The Jazz did the right thing. Yeah, they fell to five.
Speaker 2: How are you, buddy, party partner. I know it's a gloomy day in Salt Lake City. I'm in Oklahoma City. It didn't work out the way they wanted to either, with the Philly Pick moving up into the top three, So Dotter Oak get their hands number seventh. My hometown's excited though they liked the way that lottery worked out. Old mav has just falling ass backwards into the number one overall pick. After months after dinner traded generational talent, here's a gift of another one. So yeah, you know, I can imagine that you folks are a little bit perturbed right now.
Speaker 1: It is literally rainy and like forty eight degrees, so it is cloudy, it is cold. It is perfect for what today has brought with our local basketball fans.
Speaker 3: But tim, let me, I mean, look, obviously I'm being facetious.
Speaker 1: You know, what happened last night, ironically was the most likely outcome for the Jazz about a forty eight percent chance to get that number five pick. It's called a lottery for a reason. But of course it is kind of a ride of passage for an NBA fan base that feels like they've been screwed to scream foul. So for Jazz fans that believe the fixes in what do you have to say?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not going to get into conspiracy theory stuff. I believe there are two Salt Lake City based reporters that were in the lottery drawing room. I would invite you to read the coverage of Andy B. Larson and Sarah Todd. I mean, I'm pretty sure if there was a conspiracy that would have screwed the Utah Jazz, I'm pretty sure they would have covered it in you know, in their reporting. It was just what a storyline, what an insane outcome, and what a bummer for the Jazz fans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Nandy was our guest earlier on the on the show, and to your point, he was in the room and talk to Justin Zannak. I thought, Xana Candle it really well and like I said, when you look at the odds, what happened last night was the most likely outcome. So before we move over to the bigger story, which is what it means for the MAVs and potentially some player movement and such. And I am like you where when it comes to who the number five pick should be, I'll read Jonathan Cavoni or some of the guys at the Athletic. So just instead of me asking you to nail down a name, just what sort of value is your understanding that will be there for the Jazz at five.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna look. Obviously number one is clear cut, far and away the easiest decision in this draft. There's a generational talent there. I think number two seems to be pretty concrete, and then things get a leal, it gets to be more in the eye of the beholder. There have been a lot of great players stick for the fifth overall pick. There have been a lot of guys who didn't end up having star caliber careers. You know, we'll see where this ends up for the Jazz. Who I should the Jazz have had to fit overall pick? What Dante's in the fifth overall pick?
Speaker 1: Oh man, Yes he was Tim, Thanks for bringing that up last time. The Jazz pick five.
Speaker 2: It was Dante Hey, so it's the guy who's got an ownership shared. Dwyane Wade brooked out pretty well for the Miami Heat, so you know, it's kind of there's a wide spectrum there.
Speaker 1: Oh, for sure. Charles Barkley was the number five pick. Look, you can get value at five. I mean, hell yeo, GI's forty two. We could keep going down the list, Like while it feels like chicken little, this guy is falling.
Speaker 3: You never know how this stuff is going to play out.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you one more Jazz question before we move on, because you hear a lot of reports and Shams himself was on television yesterday saying he is hearing the Jazz are going to be very active and aggressive even if they didn't get one or two, they're going to try to move up. And you're reporting the MAVs have no interest in trading one, and I completely get it. I wouldn't either, But can you illuminate our market out here as to whether or not you have any understanding of now we know where the Jazz will draft, what do you think this offseason looks like.
Speaker 2: Well, I think this all season is going to first have to there's gonna be a lot of internal discussions because clearly they picked a route this year and took a risk this year that did not have the intended reward, did not come close to the intended reward, And then I think, you know, they're really going to have to have some serious discussions debate whatever it may be about whether it is a rational, irrational and and smart approach to basically repeat to to kind of run it back and aim for the number one overall pick again next year, or whether that's counterproductive, whether you're you know, how much damage are you doing in the developmental process, all those kind of things. I think it's a rational approach. I also think it's extraordinary risky. And again the risk is number one. Even for the worst record of league, the most likely spot is going to be fifth. But the risk is also like, are you just stunning the development of the young players that you already have on board? There's not. It's not like it's an easy solution here. They're in a tough spot.
Speaker 3: Yeah they are. Yeah they are.
Speaker 1: And we'll see what sort of magic Danny and jay Z can execute and hopefully give this thing turned around prior to twenty forty five, because that's the way everybody feels around here. But of course, Tim, the one team that could have grabbed number one to lead the entire country to scream foul was the team that grabbed number one with the Dallas Mavericks. So of course you know Dallas better than probably any media member out there. I want to know what went through your mind when you saw that that was the deal and where you're at with it now you know about.
Speaker 2: A day later, I just started cracking up, to be honest with you, I'm like, you have got to be kidding me. And you know, I've heard some people say, oh, is this does this prove that Nigol Harrison made the right decision on like, folks, what this does is bailed out the franchise from what appeared to be a disastrous trade. And when they made that trade, the plan wasn't like, well, man, let's make this trade to win. A lot of the plan was let's make the trade and win a championship this season, which obviously didn't happen for a variety of reasons. And then they just fell ass backwards into unbelievably good fortune. And you know, look if if the tanking teams, the outright tankers, the full season tankers got punished and got you know, if Carmel was a factor there, I don't see how the Manix ended up with the first overall pick. But what this does is it totally bails them out a fan base that was outraged, that had been apathetic, It was just kind of turning toward apathy. Well, those folks are going to be excited again. They're going to be on board. They've not not just a generational talent, but an extraordinarily marketable talent. The long term concerns, oh, you traded your pitch from twenty seven to thirty building around Luca, building that founcing around Luca. What happens at the end of this three to four year time frame, Oh my goodness, we're going to be given up top three, top five picks. Well, I don't think you have to worry about that now. You just got a gifted, an eighteen year old generational talent that you can build around for you know, they hope the next fifteen to twenty years.
Speaker 1: And as you reported, you know, because it was interesting, Like I listened to your guy Wendy last night and then watch some stuff on ESPN today and there's a lot of speculation about what And I called this earlier today. I called last night one of the most consequential nights literally in the in NBA history.
Speaker 3: And only time will tell.
Speaker 1: It's the Tatum injury, it's the next getting a win, It's the lottery going down the way that it did. It's maybe honest is available, maybe Boston breaks it down. We'll get to San Antonio at too. But you're reporting Dallas is not going to move off of one and they are going to draft Cooper Flag.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And like I'm not sure what Nico Harrison's thoughts are, to be honest with you, but I'm telling you that that doesn't matter. Patrick Dumont, who just finished his first year as the Maths governor, who had the thing blow up in his face, who was looking at bleeding money for the foreseeable future, is not going to entertain We thought of potentially trading this pick for one second. Cooper Flag will be under Dallas Mavericks. Again, this is a gift. Course, they ain't looking at the mouth. This solves their massive business woes. It certainly mitigates the long term concerns of being out all those picks. Cooper Flag will be in Dallas.
Speaker 1: And I know you reference the portion of the intrawebs that actually believe this was Nico Harrison playing chessnut Checkers, which is beyond But let me ask you. Are MAVs fans now in a place where they, I don't know, don't want to show up at his house so.
Speaker 3: He doesn't have to have security.
Speaker 1: Is is this completely removing the heat from Nico Harrison as it pertains the way MAVs fans are feeling today.
Speaker 2: I you know, I don't think that it solves his relationship with the the fan base, but it does solve the will people show up to you know to games next year? Will people tune in on TV to watch this team? Look, Nico, he put himself in a spot where he's going to be the guy who backstabbed Luca. Uh, you know that's a Luke is always going to be beloved in Dallas. I don't know that fans are going to you know, they're they're they're not going to be uh, they're you know, they're they're not going to be chanting give Nico a raise. I can tell you that whether there's fire Nico chance or not again next year, I can't say, but I would say this, this is a This is a stroke of massive luck that I do think will absolutely change the vibe around the franchise. And what I think will happen is Nicol Harrison will no longer be a focal point for fans.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, so then it gets interesting it too with san Antonio.
Speaker 1: And you know, everything I read about Dylan Harper and everything I've watched about Dylan Harper indicates that he's gonna he has a chance.
Speaker 3: To be really good.
Speaker 1: Now, these are all young players, and you never know how it's gonna work out. San Antonio, you know, at this point is in a really really advantageous spot because of all of the assets they have not just now and moving forward, and some really exciting young players, and you know, does Dylan Harper provide some redundancy after acquiring Daron Fox? And you have Stefan Castle like they san Antonio.
Speaker 3: I mean, Dallas is the clear winner.
Speaker 1: But san Antonio comes out of this once again in a really great spot. Of course, the conversation turns to Giannis and anyone else that could be available. When you put Giannis next to whem Yama, it feels like it's completely unfair.
Speaker 3: But what do you think the Spurs do it too.
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 2: You know, miss Johnson now they're head coach. Uh talked to the media last night and he's the way he phrased it was that puts them in position to make a really big acquisition. I thought that was a very interesting phrase. And I definitely think that they've got you know, they've got two lout picks too, and what is it fourteen? I believe you know, they've got young talent on some of that young talents on its second contract. So there's the you know, they've got plenty of flexibility and assets. They've got extra picks down the road to Atlantis, which has some value, some significant value. I think the second of all pick is absolutely in play. Now it's not in play for anybody. I think it's in play for Gianness and you know, the honest wim be Fit, Holy moly, boy, like for all the reasons brook Lopez and Jiannis. You know brook Lopez is complimented Jannis so well, Wimby does that we has a superstar skills package, like are you kidding me?
Speaker 10: Weird?
Speaker 2: Defensively you want to try to score on the battanem and then offensively, you know, Winby can space it out to thirty open it up for you, honest, and then also have the ability to be a go to guy, Like if that happens, it could be pretty being scary.
Speaker 1: So the other teams that I've heard and I've heard you guys talk about this on the collective, Houston, of course, that had a great regular season, advanced to the postseason probably ahead of schedule for most certainly for me. And then Oklahoma City, which of course is going to be in the mix because of all the assets they have and all the great young players they have. So does this feel like Milwaukee can just kind of sit back and say, make us your best offer, and a bidding war could ensue for Giannis.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that Jannis is going to have significance, say on where he goes, and I think that there was an understanding when he signed this last extension if it just that point that they wouldn't they wouldn't trade him without giving him some say. My anticipation is number one, we don't know for certain that you honest is gonna ask to be moved, But should he do so, I think he will give them a probably a very short list, and I think the Bucks will respect his wishes and operate off that list. And you know, we'll see maybe those teams that you just mentioned are on the list, and then they you know, it does become the highest bitder type of situation. I would tell you this. I think it is ill advised to assume that Oklahoma City Thunder, the Oklahoma City Thunder will be involved here. They could if they could be right. They obviously have the assets. But I number one, okay See might be you know, about a month away from a parade in Bricktown, but I will be surprised if oka See makes a core altering trade this summer. I could be wrong not guaranteeing it doesn't that happen. I would be surprised.
Speaker 1: So the Tatum news, which became official about an hour ago, and it just it's it sucks.
Speaker 3: I mean, entering the prime of a.
Speaker 1: Career that's already been incredibly successful and he was so good at the Garden before going down with a couple of minutes left. You know, Mark Spears today said something that was interesting that he was told based off of new ownership in Boston, based off of payroll next year that's like two hundred and twenty four million, and you know second Apron, you know, economic liabilities with a punitive nature of the way the CBA is laid out that there were going to be changes in Boston anyway, and now the Tatum thing probably changes the entire scope I guess of the approach. Is there a chance that a Jalen Brown is available? Is there a chance that Derek White is available?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What do you think happens in Boston this offseason? And who are the players that could potentially get involved? You grab maybe some of the pieces they decide the shed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been pretty well understood throughout the league that this up is We're going to make some sort of cost cutting move this summer. Drew Holiday, frankly, is the one that I've heard most often as the possibility. Obviously, when you're looking at age, that makes sense, but you know whether it's him, whether it's you know, Porzingis, whether it's Janson Brown would be the most surprised to me, just because you know of the age, but he's biggest contract out of the non Tatum guys. What this does is basically what Boston is not going to repeat champions probably knocks them out of real contention next year, but they're still going to have a chance to contend the championships during the Tatum during the Tatum era, he's twenty seven, just turned twenty seven. She has to enter in his prime. The medical technology is better than it's ever been, you know. Kevin Durant is kind of exhibit a of just how strong guys can come back from it Achilles these days, and he's going to be six foot time, you know, with a great NBA body, with extraordinarily skill. I don't think Jason Tatum's days is a superstar done by any stretch, but this is obviously a massive blow to the Celtics over the next you know, two playoff cycles, and there's going to be big changed at Boston roster.
Speaker 1: Now to your earlier point, a lot of the offseason will be colored by the remainder of the postseason, which leads me to Cleveland. And I suppose if you're Cleveland, you can say, well, Darius wasn't right, we lost DeAndre Hunter and Evan Mobley, and you know, you can lean back on the injury stuff and the health stuff because by every metric, they had a historic regular season. Donovan Mitchell knows a thing or two about having historic regular seasons, and it looks like he is about to go home again after the second round. Is there a pivot in Cleveland? Do they look at these four and say, maybe it doesn't work or are they going to run it back?
Speaker 2: I would wade draw on them running it back. You know they obviously they didn't hit it last year and changed coaches. But from our officer standpoint, they didn't pivot last season. You know, I don't. I don't think you can just chalk this uping with other's entries and whatnot. Like, look, it looks like they're going to exit in the second round. That's a massive disappointment given the success they had in the regular season, which raises the standard. I think you've got to give it at least another year and say, hey, they showed during the regular season, this can be a contending caliber team. Didn't happen like you wanted to in the playoffs, but let's give this group another year, especially a group where you know, I think there's reasonable belief that Evan Mobley will continue to grow and develop and evolve as a player, and you know that there's a lot more upside to be had there.
Speaker 1: Are you ready to say that it's Indiana and New York and Eastern Conference Finals?
Speaker 2: I mean, certainly that's where I would put my bets. How's that for going on all in with those teams up three to one and they're being injury issues on the teams that are down three to one. I mean, it would be shocking at this point. And it's funny because if it ask them going in this series, I how to laugh at the possibility. But it's it certainly looks like that's what we're looking at. Middie Miller, you know, get all the old Regi Miller clips out Regi Miller versus Spike Lee and all that stuff. It looks like we're gonna get a repeat that.
Speaker 3: I'm with you.
Speaker 1: No part of me ever thought, you know, and mostly it was because of how much I respected Boston. But things have changed, and so we'll see how it plays out. We'll end with the game you're on tonight. But before we get there, you know, I felt like Golden State just needed to get one. You ball, Steph was on the sideline, and now it just kind of feels like, I don't know if it's possible for them to get Steph back and what's realistic to expect. But do you think they closed it out going back to the Twin Cities?
Speaker 2: I would think so. I mean, without staff is just a struggle for the Warriors to score. The thunder Wolves are obviously playing with an extreme amount of confidence. And you know, according to esp and research, when Rudy Gobert has a close that opportunity against the guy who's made a point of humiliating and during this postseason, he averages twenty seven points to twenty four rebounds, So look out.
Speaker 3: Dray mom Well said, all right, what do you think happens tonight?
Speaker 1: This Nuggets Okay series, OKAC series has been awesome and I don't even know which way to lean at this point. Tim, So where are you at with this series? And how do you think tonight plays out? Before I set you loose?
Speaker 2: Well, it's been an awesome competition. The game four, honestly was awful to watch, So let's not lie. That's I'm sitting there watching that thing in person, and my eyeballs are still aching. And it's a really tough spot for the Nuggets, man. Honestly, the silver lining for them is they were able to salvage a win during this stretch. Has been the worst shooting three game one of Nukoleok's career, and look, man, jokers capable of coming out tonight and getting you know, going to forty to fourteen and fourteen or whatever. He's that good. He's that great. But man, they're playing him tough. But Te's back for the Nuggets. They're not deep, They're an older team. Eight games, fifteen nights. It's a really, really tough spot for Denver against a team that won sixty eight games and best point difference from NBA history and goes ten deep by the start of every second quarter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's wild how many guys they have. They can play high level. All right, enjoy the game. Great work today and we'll chat soon.
Speaker 2: Thanks him, Appreciate you well.
Speaker 3: McMahon covers the NBA for ESPN.
Speaker 1: He technically is the ESPN guy on the Jazz Beats, But the past couple of years it's not a lot to talk about with the Jazz. Rough day man, no other way to put it. And Richard Smith is going to join us live in studio smid. He spent forty years with Utah Jazz, and he is going to take me to task for my opinion that the Jazz we're doing the right thing by losing games this year. Tim spots stop spot today, excuse me. Courtesy of my friends at Cortland Roofing, roofing and roof repair experts with over twenty years of experience their family owned and operated call Courtland Roofing today to get a free to get free rain gutters with any roof replacement.
Speaker 3: You save thousands of dollars.
Speaker 1: So if you're getting close to needing that roof replaced, you can get free rain gutters with any roof replacement with our friends at Cortland Roofing, So give them a call at eight oh one six one five five six five five six zero eight oh one six one five five five six zero or online at Cortland roofine dot com.
Speaker 11: Because the fans are used to coming to a game, no matter what it is, their son's high school game or the college game, whoever it is, and trying to watch your team put best it's best foot forward to try and win the game you're playing. And the Jazz didn't do that this year. Obviously, they held out guys who were healthy. They got fined along the way by the NBA for doing that. It's just it's just not a very good look to me for any organization that puts themselves in that position. They're not the only ones who were doing it, you know, several other teams were in that same kind of race, and the Jazz happened to win it by getting the worst record. So we'll see what happens on May twelfth when the lottery balls come up and see how that plays out for them.
Speaker 3: Awesome dynamite analysis. I'm not sure who that was. It sounded like Richard Smith.
Speaker 1: Well May twelfth, came and went yesterday, and the lottery balls did not fall in the favor of the Utah Jazz.
Speaker 3: Now, I will remind you the Jazz ended.
Speaker 1: Up with a pick that they were most likely to get based off the percentages, even though the reaction from folks around here is that the whole thing is rigged and the fixes in. But Richard Smith is live in studio during the four o'clock hour. My goodness, Smitty, one of the most truly one of the most consequential nights that the NBA has had in a long time for several reasons.
Speaker 3: But of course we'll start with your reaction to the Utah Jazz.
Speaker 1: I'll say, falling to five, they could not fall any further than five, but they fell as far as they could.
Speaker 3: Where you at with it today, Yeah.
Speaker 11: Well that's that's uh, that's what the numbers of your mathematician. That's what you would expect, you know, would most probably happen. Of course, you and I have bantered about this all all season long, Spence, and and you were in the tank group. No, no, no, no, I'm just I'm just reviewing what the facts are. And you know, people can take it for what they will you know, I've I've said all along and I'm not saying this in any way to pat myself on the back or anything, but I'm not just I just can't get on board with the whole idea that you try and manipulate the system, or, in my opinion the way I view it, you try and game the system to try and get an artificial advantage for something that's that's a professional sport where people are paid a lot of money and trained to try and perform at the highest level that they can in the night out and the jazz obviously, you know, we're we're in a in a situation where they didn't play healthy players and they wanted to be in the position they were in last night. And then I don't know if it's karma. I don't know if it's you know, you the old Jerry Sloan saying that most of the time in life you get what you earn, and you know, but you know a part of me, you know, I feel bad because I'm a jazz guy, and uh, I want them to do well. And I have a lot of friends who still work there and and work hard and try and do the right thing and all that but last night was was a telling tale that that you can't you know, just somehow manipulate these things to to put yourself in in a winning advantage and and and some somewhere in that spence, for me on a personal level, it just feels like, you know, this is this is what happened can happen to you when you try and and and not do what most people would consider the right thing, or to do it to the best of your ability, and and then you get something like what happened last night.
Speaker 1: Well, and to your point, and maybe it's time to start thinking about this a little differently. My assertion, uh continues to be that the Utah Jazz have to find a franchise pillar that wants to stay here for a while.
Speaker 3: And if we're honest, we haven't had that since John and Carl.
Speaker 1: We thought we added with Gordon, we thought we added with Darren, we thought we added with Donovan.
Speaker 3: How do they find that? Smitty, Well, what do you do? Well, that's always a trick.
Speaker 11: And and and the NBA the way it's set up, spencing the collective Bargain agreement, and and we've we've we've talked about this before and and Gordon Hayward and and uh is the perfect, a textbook example of how the system is set up to work, and that is that we've If you draft a guy and you develop him, and you like him, and he's your guy, you know, for the long term at least that's what you plan for, the team has control of that player basically for the first half of their career. In other words, if you like him and he's developing the way you want and you're building with him or around him, and you want to keep him long term, the team has control of him for a minimum of seven years. In other words, you got the four year rookie contract, and then he becomes a restricted free agent, so you as a ball club have the right to match any outside offer he might get in order to retain him. So he doesn't have any say in reality about where he plays the first seven years of his contract. The back half of the contract. Now the player controls where he wants to go. And that's exactly what Gordon Hayward did. He was here seven years, he had the player option for the eighth year, he opted out. He got to choose where he wanted to go, and he went off to Boston and obviously then then to Charlotte and and finished his career. Okay, see, but that's that's that's how it's set up to be. So, you know, a team like last night, you know, Dallas ends up winning the lottery a two percent chance to do it. That means they had basically two out of one hundred chants to get it, and they got it. And so okay, that's why, as I've heard you mentioned before, that's why they call it a lottery. And so they got the lottery ticket and they won it, and so Dallas will have the chance for the whoever they the presumptive number one pick. Everyone's assuming it's it's a Cooper flag. And if we make that assumption, they will have the control of a player like him for at least a minimum of seven years that they can play. And of course they try and get him in the system and get him to love them and blah blah blah, so that you end up with a you know, hopefully John Stockton or a Carl Malone type thing where you got the guy for fifteen or seventeen years or whatever if it works out.
Speaker 10: But it doesn't.
Speaker 11: Usually it doesn't work out like that. It usually works against you. But one of the things I wanted to mention Spence along with that. I don't know how you felt about this, but I'm watching the program last night and I was I found myself somewhat offended by or embarrassed by the way the league had all these players at the at the at this lottery, all the so called top pick players, and they paraded them out, and they had some of them in interviews before Hey, what do you think about the Lonny? What do you think you're the two kids from Rutgers? What do you think about kid? What do you think about yourself? You know, you know whatever? And all I could think of the whole time was has any did anybody watch the NFL draft? Did anybody pay any attention to all the stuff that was going on with Shador Sanders And he's supposed to be a top five pick and he ends up going on the third day, And how embarrassing that was for him and everybody else who was saying he's gonna be a top five guy. And hear the NBA of parading these guys. And now they bring Cooper fly to the to the table after the draft, and there every one of the guys on the table asked him a question directly about being a member of the Dallas Mavericks. And I'm sitting there going, did did I miss something? Was the draft tonight? Because I thought the draft was in six weeks. I mean, there's so much that can happen between now and June twenty sixth. And we presume that they're gonna keep the pick. We presume they're gonna take Cooper flag, but a lot of things can happen.
Speaker 10: Spence.
Speaker 11: Item A on the table is Yannis, and Yanna says, you know, maybe I'll look at some other stuff and whatever, now, you know. And I'm surprised I didn't read anything today where anybody said, oh, would if you were put in the position, would you trade the number one pick right now for Yannis?
Speaker 10: Would you do that?
Speaker 11: As an organization? You know, Like, I'm surprised nobody said that, because you know, Yannis is a real guy. He's already proven he's a real guy, and he's in his prime. And you're telling me, you know, teams wouldn't look and go, well, wait a minute, now, I'm going to take an eighteen year old kid from college, or I can have Yannis in his prime to go with my group because my job is to try and see if I can get us to a championship level.
Speaker 10: Like, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 11: I think it's just that's an interesting question to me. But I even heard that, And that's because everybody on the broadcast I was doing the whole broadcast aimed at Cooper flag is number one, and he's going, whoever gets number one, and that's it, and we're all in on it, and his parents are there, and everybody's sitting there, and I'm going, does somebody have Deon Sanders number? Because somebody should call him and say, hey, how is this for you guys? When it didn't happen on the first day of the draft, and then it didn't happen on the second day of the I mean, I just thought that was I don't know.
Speaker 10: I know it's TV.
Speaker 11: I know they're doing it for TV, but I just I thought that was so egregious by the NBA making all these presumptions about what they think is already going to take place six weeks from now.
Speaker 10: For some reason, I just found that at a little distasteful.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a good angle to take because you've been part of rooms for a number of different years, namely four decades, where you do have to make decisions, and sometimes the decisions you make are completely counter to what everyone on the on the outside looking in believes is going to happen.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Tim McMahon, it was our guest last hour, wrote a piece for the dot com side. It also is ESPN, who's a partner with the NBA, of course, quoting Patrick Demond saying we're not trading one and we are taking Cooper Flag.
Speaker 3: But the reason why I like this angle is, look.
Speaker 1: Man, I can read all of the Jonathan Gavoni mock drafts I want, and I can read all the guys over at the Athletic do a really good job. You know, there are a lot of really good NBA writers who cover the draft and scouts who dig into this in a way that I just don't day to day because I have four hours of radio to do, so I do lean on them, and you know, ultimately, at least Gavoni has been very consistent that the order is Cooper flag.
Speaker 3: Dylan Harper, Ace Bailey and VJ.
Speaker 1: Edgecombe and gavoni assertion is if you have one of the top four picks in this draft. You have a chance to draft the player that should be very special for you for a long time. But I feel like I hear that every year and then there's a Kawhi mid first round or even Steph goes seven and Steph is generational.
Speaker 3: The best player in the world was the second round pick.
Speaker 1: So for the Chicken Little Crew and saw Lake to believe the sky is falling, help us understand why it might not be falling.
Speaker 11: Well, Spencer's a couple of things. One is the Jazz fell to number five, right, so they're gonna be you know, they have the fifth pick. And that was also another thing the Assistant commission by Commissioner.
Speaker 3: Martatum.
Speaker 11: Tatum sorry, he he kept fascilating back and forth when he was saying who the picks were by using the phrase the number five pick will be taken by the Utah Jazz, and I kept thinking, well, you don't know if the Utah Jazz are going to take number five. The the number five pick will be going to the Utah Jazz. It should be the phrase and be kept going back and for that, you know, a little semantic. And that's that's what I spend my nights doing. That was picking apart that kind of stuff. But anyway, but but look at this, for example, Spence the most recent in the last decade, the number five picks in the draft going backwards, okay, starting last year. And you can tell me you need jerk reaction. You like them, you don't like them. They made it, they didn't make it, you know whatever. The thing is, number five picks. Ron Holland in Detroit wildly still out, Onsar Thompson love it Detroit, Jade and Ivy. Yeah, by the way, straight number five picks in Detroit and they were That's exactly right, That's exactly right. Jalen Suggs in Orlando, mixed results, Isaac a carokay, Cleveland not great, Darius Garland like him, Trey Young.
Speaker 1: I don't like Trey as much, which some people. I don't hate Tree as much as something. Hey, the Aaron Fox, I'd say that's a win at five. Former jazz man Chris Dunn probably not the pick.
Speaker 11: Marioizzonia, same thing, okay, Alex lenn this is not going well Smith Thomas Robinson.
Speaker 3: When do we get to the Kevin Garnetts and the Trois.
Speaker 10: Okay, the Marcus Cousins, Ricky Rubio. Okay.
Speaker 11: So the point being, you got some hits, you got some missus, Okay, at number five. That's what happens. Flip it around. Okay, we're watching the playoffs now right. Here's names for you of guys who are contributing, guys on playoff teams.
Speaker 10: That are still alive, which is what you want. Okay.
Speaker 11: These are the guys who are still helping to drive the bus at this point in time, the middle of May, in the NBA playoffs, and where they were taken in the draft. Jalen Brunson thirty three, YEP, Michael bridget ten, Peyton Pritchard twenty six, Max Struce undrafted, YEP, Podzemski nineteen, Jokic forty one, Rudy Gobert twenty seven, Jane McDaniels twenty eight, Josh Hart thirty, nas Reid undrafted. Point being what you can find players anywhere in the draft or even not in the draft, as we just said with Struce, naz Reid and former Jazz man Wesley Matthews, who had a terrific career being undrafted. But as an organization, you have to you have to be able to find them. You have to evaluate them accurately. You have to value what they can bring to a team, and then you have to make an assessment if that, if that, adding a player like that to your group is going to make sense. So this whole thing, you know, last everybody's disappointed. I was disappointed.
Speaker 10: I get it.
Speaker 11: You know, people are jumping off the bridges and whatever, you know, because the Jazz didn't get the number one pick. But they're going to get a good player if they evaluate accurately, and as always Spence, only time will tell that, but they will have the opportunity amongst a handful of players that they like and evaluate very critically to add someone to their group. They're also going to be picking twenty one from Minnesota. At least they have the twenty one pick. So you know, we just mentioned a bunch of guys who were picked after twenty one. Jalen Brunson, Prichard, Struce, Jokic, Rudy McDaniels, Josh Hart, and Nazreid. All those guys went after twenty one.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 11: So the point, my belabored point is you can find guys, and you can find more than one guy that can actually help and add to your in what you're trying to do, but you have to evaluate that in the right frame, and you have to be able to have a group that believes in what they're doing and be able to go go find those guys and how to procure them. And that's gonna be the interesting part over the next six week process between now and June twenty sixth, which is the draft day.
Speaker 1: Tim McMahon is on TV. He was just on our show fifteen minutes ago. Look at that, all right, McMahon.
Speaker 11: See see everybody tries to use you, Spence as the stepping starts true, they come here, true, and then boom fifteen minutes later, Doron t You won't see me doing that, Spence.
Speaker 1: No, I appreciume with you. I appreciate with you. Okay, Porter's using me as a step inside.
Speaker 9: I know this.
Speaker 11: I'm riding with you. I don't just run to eat. Oh did you say yes, pans On Spence, Sorry, I gotta go yes, yes, pans On.
Speaker 1: The final I know you're lied to be all right, at the risk of insulting your intelligence, here we go only because you worked in the league for forty years. Let me put the caveat on the question before I ask it. Yes that no party me believes any of this stuff is rigged, never have, never will.
Speaker 3: But it is a rite of passage for NBA fans this time of year. Who is there?
Speaker 1: Who are fans of a certain team that they perceive to be that they perceive got screwed. Right, So it ultimately depends on who you cheer for. There are no Dallas Maverick fans today that believe the lottery is rigged. They just believe they got lucky. San Antonio just wants the lottery to continue because you know they built dynasties on lottery luck.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And by the way, non seculitor.
Speaker 1: If there is an example that the lottery isn't rigged, it's that San Antonio, Texas has been the biggest beneficiar ever. Okay, but for the jazz fan listeners today, that's say little Salt Lake City Jazz moved down last year, the jazz moved down this year. Ten lottery appearances. We've never moved up. The fixes in What do you say.
Speaker 11: To them, It's, well, it's insulting anybody's intelligence, I know out the the NB Yeah, I mean, but but look, you know, people want to and and I think you're right. I heard you earlier say something about you know, we always want to blame somebody else. You know, this is this is the Trump's n b A, if you will, right, Like, it didn't go your way, so we got to find somebody else to blame, that's right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so you know, which is obviously ridiculous.
Speaker 11: I know you had I know you had Andy Larson on the last hour, and and he was in the room and and he saw the pingbound balls, and and I saw a fascinating article. Someone who else was also in the room wrote wrote a piece. It might have been Andy, I'm not sure that I wrote read late last night about exactly how the balls came up there were it wasn't, yeah, and and recounting how the numbers were and all that kind of stuff, and and uh, you know, look that that's why it's a lot of this this stuff happens, you know there the jazz just didn't get lucky. You you know, you work all year to try and get that blunt. And look, Spencer, we've talked about this, and I use this example with you, you know, a while ago on this show. I don't know who else would would take a fourteen percent chance and put all their chips in the middle of the table.
Speaker 10: You don't go in.
Speaker 11: You don't go into Caesar's palace and they say, hey, hey, come on over to the table here, son, We're going to give you a fourteen percent chance to win some big money tonight. You go, wow, what table is that? I want to go to that table? Like, you know, nobody does that, I mean, so so, you know, And then I read with Justin Zanik, you know, said after the draft, you know, we knew going in that, you know, we had a fourteen percent chance to get the thing, which meant we were also having eighty six percent chance not to get it.
Speaker 10: And we're prepared for this. I'm not sure if I'm sure they knew that.
Speaker 11: Obviously they know all those kinds of things, but I think everybody was hoping against hope that this would happen for them. Hey, the people in Washington were doing the exact same thing. Yeah, they had the one game better than the Jazz on the last second shot in the last game of the season whatever, and they had a fourteen percent chance and they went from possibly one to six. The Jazz went from possibly one to five. Yeah, and Charlotte dropped the spot. So Pelicans dropped to seven. Yes, they dropped two. Yeah, And so you know that's just what the lottery is. It made for great TV for half an hour, okay. But the interesting thing is that great TV for half an hour quickly turned the fortunes of one group, which was the Dallas Mavericks.
Speaker 10: Into a big plus.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 11: They sent people like the Washington Wizards a group and the Utah Jazz Group going out the side door with their heads hung low because they're all disappointed because they were hoping against hope that that would this would work out for them and it didn't. And you know, I, as we've we've talked about before, Spence, it's I don't get it.
Speaker 10: That's just me.
Speaker 11: I did these things for a lot of years. I was in these draft rooms. I was, you know, in discussions with how we're gonna move up and down and out and in and all this stuff. And you know the fact that you spend a whole year positioning yourself purposely to be in a spot where you are going to the the poker table, you're going to the blackjack table, and they're telling you, hey, for all of your effort and all of your hard earned money. Son, We're gonna give you a fourteen percent chance to win tonight. Sit right down, we're gonna get your ginger ale.
Speaker 10: And here we go. And like who would do that? Like I, I just don't get it.
Speaker 11: And unfortunately it didn't work out for the Jazz And now they're they're trying to regroup.
Speaker 10: They're going to get a good player at five. Not gonna get a Cooper Flag.
Speaker 11: They're not gonna get a Dylan Harper, all right, but they're gonna get a good player unless they come up with something else. There's a lot of things that can happen between now and the draft day. They got six weeks to try and move up if that's what they want to do. Put a package together with another team, work with three teams, you know, move the balls around, do something, you know, to position themselves differently, if that's the way they see it. Danny Ainge has been known to do that in the past, and so he may have some ideas about, you know, how to be able to uh work this in his in his favor to the to the Jazz's benefit, and only time will tell. But it certainly puts them, you know, behind a bigger ball if you will in the next six weeks, then they would have been if they had come out, you know, with what they what they deemed to be the top prize.
Speaker 1: All right, before we catch a break, one more question here coming up next, we'll talk about some of the optionality, which is the buzzword in pro basketball. The Jazz do have with Giannis reportedly open to being traded and the Jason Tatum news that the Achilles is ruptured.
Speaker 3: Does Boston try to pivot move on?
Speaker 1: Could the Jazz get involved in any of these discussions to maybe expedite the process a little bit, or will next year look a lot like this year did?
Speaker 3: But before we catch break, and I don't know this, but in order to be.
Speaker 1: Fair, and yes, I cannot debate or argue with you my opinion of what I thought the Jazz should do right out of the gates when they traded Donovan and Rudy. If that was your decision to jettison Donovan, Rudy, Bogdanovitch, Conley, O'Neil, the whole group in Quinn Leaves and Dennis Leaves, my opinion was you do have to go all in in one direction of the other. That's my opinion, okay, and I will not change that opinion. But based off of what they elected to do this year, is it only fair to assume that they did try to get a mckel bridges or a Paul George or whatever it was last last offseason, and when their best laid plans disintegrated, this was kind of their only course.
Speaker 3: Is that fair to assume?
Speaker 10: I don't know, Yeah, I think that.
Speaker 11: You know, you're always trying to find a quicker way to get on the on the in the fast lane on the highway, right, so so you're always trying to improve your team. You know, there's no such thing as a six year, a seven year and eight year you know, rebuilding a time frame. Nobody puts an artificial time limit on how long this is supposed to take. Because in the perfect world, something would happen for you tomorrow that would make you go from you know, the seven Celtics to the eight Celtics, right from the bottom of the league to winning a championship in one year because of some moves that you're able to make. That was a Danny Ainge deal where he was able to parlay you know, a disappointment where he felt like they were hoping to get the top pick. They were hoping to get the second pick at that year, which happened to be the Greg Oden Kevin Durant draft.
Speaker 10: They didn't.
Speaker 11: They moved, They moved down like the Jazz did last night, ended up moving back to five. They didn't like that spot in the draft. Danny Ainge was able to move that pick to end up getting Ray Allen to come from Seattle, and then in a different move, was able to move some picks, move some other guys to Minnesota to get Kevin Garnett, and all of a sudden, you've got Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, and Paul Pierce and you go from being a bottom five team in the league to winning the championship twelve months later. So everybody wants to do that type of thing. The Jazz they what they have done successfully to this point is they put themselves in a position, as you mentioned a minute ago, you know the favorite word optionality or flexibility, to be able to do a number of different things depending on what's presented to you. Forty eight hours ago, you would have never thought there was anything that could ever, you know, impermeate the Boston Celtics roster right because they've got a good group. It's a high paid group, it costs a lot of money, but they're a top five NBA team, the reigning champions, you know, and all of that. Now Jason Tatum goes out as a ruptured Achilles more than likely, you know, most estimations are that he would more than likely miss the whole of next year. So that puts a big hole there where he's out. So now you're paying a lot of money to a lot of guys, and how much does that damage what you've planned to do because he's in his prime. So now do you just wait it out if you're the Celtic, or do you say, well, we can't do this. They got a new ownership group in place, and it's costing him a lot of money and salaries, luxury tax and penalties. So do they look at it and go, well, we may have to do something different, and so maybe we get rid of Jalen Brown, and maybe we get rid of Drew Holliday, and maybe we get rid of you know, whatever it is. Because we can't sit around and just wait and hope Tatum comes back to be the old Tatum that he was yep, And so that becomes something on the table. So now the Jazz are sitting there at the bus stop, so to speak, with a big basket of draft picks and players that they're willing to trade because they don't care because at the moment, you know, the guys they've got, whether they like him, they don't like them, and they're in the middle or something on their own guys, you know, they're not winning, so it doesn't matter. So everybody's in play. So whether it's your players or your your treasure trove of picks, you you are in a position to go to Boston and say, what are you thinking? I don't know, we probably gotta do something with Jaln Brown. Okay, what's it gonna take? You know, five draft picks, Lowry Marketing and this guy or that guy whatever, And so you're in position to pounce on something like that.
Speaker 10: Is it something like that that may come up? We don't know.
Speaker 11: Is it something like Phoenix, which is around the corner that probably has to do something with Durant and Beale in some way, shape or form, because that's obviously not working. Is it something that involves Giannis who wants to go somewhere else, and it may not be the Jazz, but the Jazz may be a third team that helps something get involved. All of those things are in play spence, so so that's that's the one thing that Jazz have going for them is they've got a lot of open doors that they could walk through depending on what presents itself to them in the coming weeks.
Speaker 1: The world of professional golf turns inside of the PGA Championship at Quell Hoilo coming up this weekend.
Speaker 3: One year ago today, well not one year ago today, but one year.
Speaker 1: Ago Smitty PGA Championship Scotti Scheffler arrested prior to round two, which was just so wild. Richard Smith is live in studio, Jordan Speith going for the career Grand Slam coming up this weekend after Rory McElroy was able to grab it with his green jacket.
Speaker 3: All right, Smitty.
Speaker 1: Of course, the big news of the day today that we've been dissecting so far as the Utah Jazz will draft number five in the upcoming NBA Draft down June the twenty fifth.
Speaker 3: Shamsherarnia reporting that.
Speaker 1: The Jazz will try to be very active to move up in set NBA drafts. I've had a lot of friends reach alie, Hey, can they just move up and draft Cooper Flag at one? I'm like, well, you have to have the other general manager agreed to the deal in place. Like, yes, in theory, just do that, But what are what are the conversations like when it's like, all right, we like this guy at three, but we're at five. Can we get to three? Or we kind of like the guy that might be at seven? Can we move down to seven and grab a couple of other assets? Like what does that sound like?
Speaker 11: Well, you know, it reminds me suspense you say that about just moving up, you know. Frank Laydon said he one time got a call from someone who a very influential person in the community, said, hey, Hi, great, I do we have a good young team with that Stockton kid and the Malone guy. You know, you know would be really good with them, would be uh, would be Patrick Ewing. You know, you guys should get Patrick Ewing. And Frank said, really, he goes, that's that's a good idea. He goes, Now, how do you suggest we do that? Well, you just call call New York, you know, and and they're gonna give us Patrick Ewing.
Speaker 10: He goes like, you.
Speaker 3: Guys like rich Rich Kelly. In the second for Patrick.
Speaker 11: Shout out to Rich Kelly's that's one of my guys, Rich Kelly.
Speaker 3: Yes, so Smittie.
Speaker 1: I mean, ultimately, if I just asked you for your best guess as far as what next year is going to look like, because you know, again, Adam Silver and the NBA in twenty nineteen decided to flatten the lottery odds and was their motivation to dissuade teams from tanking. Probably they also put some financial things into place that make your overspending very punitive. So great teams like the Nuggets we've seen lose some players. The Warriors had to make a decision on Clay Phoenix as you referenced. Boston, as we've talked about, well maybe jettison off from some of their talent players. Do the Jazz have what it takes to potentially do what Danny Ainge said two summers ago and go big game hunting to get some good players. So therefore next year you're not insulting the integrity of the game by intentionally losing every night. And as you said earlier, Fate Karma, I don't know I don't know nothing about nothing.
Speaker 3: Is that stuff real? Maybe?
Speaker 1: But twenty nineteen lottery odds flattens. Six drafts later, the worst team in the NBA has not received the number one pick since. So just best guess. What do you think the offseason looks like? And what do you think next season looks like for Jazz fans?
Speaker 11: Well, again, I think the Jazz have a lot of stuff they they can propose, you know, again, to beat the dead horse. You know Danny's famous comment about we're gonna go big game hunting. And we've said this before, Spence, you can go big game hunting.
Speaker 10: You can.
Speaker 11: You can tell your wife on Friday, Hey, I'm going up in the mountains and I'm gonna get a bag of big, big buck and I'm gonna bring it back and we're gonna have deer meat all winter or whatever. And you go up and you come back at the end of the weekend and you have nothing, and your wife, I thought you were going. I thought you were going big game. Well I did, and where's the big game. I didn't get him. You didn't see him. I saw him, but I didn't get them, you know, And whatever I mean, that's you know, the Jazz are gonna do that. They're gonna do a version of that this spring and summer. They're gonna try and do a lot of different things that can improve their team quickly. Uh, They're gonna have some some opportunities to look at stuff. You know, you always need a trade partner, You need someone who has sometimes a different motivation than you. So it may be a team that is trying to get out from a high paid player who's a good player, but it just isn't working.
Speaker 13: I e.
Speaker 10: The Phoenix Suns.
Speaker 11: It may be something, you know, where a top line player just needs a change of scenery and the team that has them under contract feels like they need a change of scenery because it just isn't working the way they thought, i e.
Speaker 10: Milwaukee.
Speaker 11: It could be you know, from a couple of years ago, you know when the Brooklyn Nets look like they were going to be running the NBA for five, six, seven years with Durant and Harden and and and Kyrie Irving, and those three guys played a total of sixteen games together during their time in Brooklyn, which is unfathomable now when you look back on it, and it just didn't work. And so they were trying to get rid of each one of those guys in different, different fashion. So those kinds of things can come up. You don't know tomorrow if they're going to happen. You don't know next week if it's gonna happen. But if you're prepared to be able to react, you might have some stuff you might be able to do. You couple it with a draft pick, with two draft picks, with one of your guys, with three of your guys, whatever it is, and you can make over your team somewhat quickly, as we mentioned earlier what Danny Ainge did in seven the Summer of seven with the Boston Celtics. But a lot of things have to fall into place. But the situation the Jazz are in now, as much as you don't like the way they lost and the way they were the worst team this year and a lot of metrics and a lot of the analytics said that they were really bad. So from the Jazz perspective, in that regard, you don't have anything to lose, Like you're not giving up something that ooh, I don't know if we can give away this, because that may damage what we've been doing so far because we haven't done anything so far, so in that regard, you know, the door's wide open, and they could do a lot of things, and a lot of things would have to fall their way and would have to some things within their ability to control, they could do that. There's some things that may have to just fall in their lap that are beyond their control, that just happened to them or become present to them to take advantage of. But those are all things that they're going to look at and all things that Danny Inge has used to doing and has done before and has shown that he's not shy about making those kinds of decisions. And we just see it here spends with the Jazz in the situation they're in now because Danny Hinch came in in the first twelve months he was on the job with the Jazz, you know, jettisoned the whole thing that that was in place then and decided to start over. So we know that he has he has the uh, the intestinal fortitude and the guts to make those kind of decisions and not blink and so so will he have opportunities, will they be able to execute them? Will there be things that that he uh, he can act upon but needs other people to cooperate. All those things are movable parts, and those are those are the things that become exciting and at the same time become frustrating when you're trying to get something done.
Speaker 3: So do you think next year will look a lot like this season did?
Speaker 10: Well? I think that.
Speaker 11: I think they're going to try and make it look a lot different in terms of making some moves. Whether it's a draft, whether it's a free agent thing, whether it's trades, Whether they get stuff done on any of those fronts or all of them, remains to be seen. And I but I think, you know, if they just if they don't get anything done, and they just go through this draft and and and pick whoever they get and try and develop them, then I think they could be in for another type of season next year because that they've had this year. Because Spence, to your point earlier, everybody in the NBA is looking to be one of the top five teams in the league that has a serious chance of competing all year long and through the playoffs, or you want to be one of the five worst teams to have a chance. Like last night, Okay, they did that part didn't work out. Okay, that's one big swing and mess. Okay, that happened, But you don't want to be one of the one of the twenty teams that's in between those two areas what we always would refer to with the gray area, because those are the teams that either they're fooling themselves because they're a eight nine, ten type team or they're a twenty twenty one, twenty two type team and they want to convince themselves that they're better than they really are and they have a chance to compete when they really don't.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 11: A current example of that to me is somebody like the Atlanta Hawks, who you know, maybe the Miami Heat, although the Heat broke through a couple of years ago and and you know, got to the finals and you know, but they had some breaks to get through that, but it worked. But sometimes you can fool yourself into thinking you're one of those guys. You don't want to be in that gray area because you're just trading water. So if you can make some moves, then then you look at that with a strong eye to try and get better quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the irony in what you're saying is the number ten team in the Western Conference here this year was the Dallas Mavericks, who now own the number one overall pick. There you go, and so you know now that we have, you know, after they flattened the lottery odds in twenty nineteen, I think a lot of people said, Okay, well, let's wait and see how this looks. And now that we have six drafts in six lotteries behind us, and the data now says tanking does not guarantee you anything.
Speaker 3: In the NFL, it does, Okay, it's inverse order. Period. They reward teams that are horrible.
Speaker 1: Ironically enough, teams like my Jets do not seem to ever find their way out of that group. But in pro basketball, the data is in that you can tank all you want, and if you think that's the right way to roll, then you can roll that way. And yes, your percentages are slightly higher than the teams behind you. But now that we know that guarantees nothing, is it time to maybe consider a paradigm shift for the teams like the Jazz or Washington or whoever that clearly have been unseerious about winning.
Speaker 11: Now for a minute, well, I don't know the lottery I think, I mean, I understand what you're saying about. You know, now we have six years, we can look at it a little bit. But the lottery, I know this sounds kind of simplistic, but the lottery is the lottery. In other words, you can't predict what's going to happen. So anybody who wants to play that game, like the Jazz did this year again, spence to be the dead horse. You know, anybody who works that hard for six months to get a fourteen percent chance to win something, I mean, good luck to you. I mean, you know, that's that's uh, you know, I don't know that. I don't get that whole thing. But anyway, that's that's what they did. That's what Washington did, That's what Charlotte did. Toward the end of the year. None of them ended up in the top three. You know that That's that's just the way that that stuff it goes. That's that's, you know, just taking a big gamble. The NFL, well, the NFL is a different animal because they schedule differently. You don't play everybody else in the NFL over a whole season, and the NFL schedule is weighted so that the better teams last year play each other next year, and the lesser teams last year play each other this year. And it's all in the hopes Spence, that when you get to week sixteen and seventeen in the NFL, everybody's eight and eight, everybody's nine and seven, everybody's got a chance. The last couple of weeks. In the NBA, everybody plays everybody else. In your conference, you play four games a couple of teams of three games, but most of them you're playing two at home, two in the road, and the other conference you play one home, one on the road.
Speaker 10: And so over the course of.
Speaker 11: An eighty two game season, it usually works out that the better teams are the better teams. And you know, when you get to this stuff, that's just what it is. And I don't I don't understand people who you know, don't. I mean, it's not that complicated, Spence. It's just like going to the playground, like the hard scrabble streets that you grew up in a New Canaan. There we go see that and you guys you get to the playground and you go okay, you know, Spencer and Spidder, you guys are choosing up okay, okay or Okay, I got first pick.
Speaker 10: Who are you going to take?
Speaker 11: You're gonna take the kid you know is the best player in the neighborhood, and then you're going to take the next guy and whatever. And the whole purpose is what the whole purpose is to win the game you're playing, so you get to stay on the court and the losers have to go off and play the next group of guys. Right, the NBA system in the playoffs, it's it's just a bigger, grandiose version of that. All the teams are trying to get the better players so they can stay on the court and keep laying right.
Speaker 10: So when it comes to the lottery, the lottery is what it is.
Speaker 11: It's just a flip of the coin, or in this case, literally the bounce of the ping pong balls. And I was interested to read Andy Larson's description last night, specifically saying, you know, they they turned the machine on, and the balls bounce around for twenty seconds, and then the guy pulls the plug and the ball comes out, and then they reset it and then the balls bounce around for another ten seconds and then blah blah blah blah blah, and you know, and it's very precise and direct in how they do that to give everybody a fair shot. And you know, I would rather be in a lottery spence where I have an eighty six percent chance of getting it, but you have an eighty six percent chance of not getting it. So that's what you're rolling with. I say, good luck, and I'm going to keep my money in my back pocket.
Speaker 1: And the system is not changing anytime soon. Do you think they look at it? I mean, would you like to see a different approach?
Speaker 11: I mean no, because I think they I think they've I think they've uh not overthought. I think they've thought it through enough with enough statisticians and mathematicians and and what are the odds?
Speaker 10: And how do you do this?
Speaker 11: And there used to be one ping pong ball and fourteen teams, and they ruffled it up and they go okay, and they pull out one ball and they go, uh, number five, who's got number five?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 11: The Atlanta Hawks have number five? Okay, they get the first pick. I mean it used to be that. Now that's four ping pong balls, and they each have a.
Speaker 10: Number on them.
Speaker 11: So they get the one number okay, and number seven okay, all right? The next one number thirteen, whatever. And then they then you have a you have a big, you know, print out sheet and you look at, okay, do we have lottery number. It's just like Spence buying a lottery ticket over across the border in Idaho and you got the numbers on the ticket and they read off the fourth number.
Speaker 10: Ah, I had a seven, they called the six. I didn't win it.
Speaker 11: You know, it's the same thing, I mean, And and so they've got that figured out. It just doesn't work for you. And to your point, Spence, everybody wants to find a reason that we didn't win and somebody's against us, and you know whatever, and that's just it's just not the case.
Speaker 10: It's just that's the reality of what a lottery is.
Speaker 1: And I think, well, my guess is the other thing that really stings about last night? And John Hollinger wrote a piece on this for The Athletic Today. So again the jazz fault, I'm gonna say, air quotes fall to five. It was the most likely scenario based off the percentages prior to the lottery, and Zanak talked about this.
Speaker 10: Yeah, one and two. It was basically a fifty percent change, right right.
Speaker 1: Right, So forty eight point seven percent chance they were gonna draft it five fourteen percent chance they were gonna draft it one. But I don't think think the sting that fans are feeling today is only about that. I think it's also about the fact that Dallas and San Antonio, two of your Western Conference peers, are at one and two. Because if you're a Jazz fan, you're already looking up at well, I'm not even gonna read the list everybody, You're already looking up at everybody. At least San Antonio was kind of in your cul de sac right this year, even though they got Wembanyama and Dallas took such such a calculator risk to get rid of Donchic so you thought, okay, maybe they're falling back down on earth as well.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So now two of the teams that you thought maybe we're not that far away from you're miles away from again. So I think if you're a Jazz fan today, it's not just man, we didn't get one or two, we actually are drafting five. It's two of our Western Conference piers have one and two, and now we've got miles to go to catch them.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And and and the fact that their Western Conference is a good point. But but you're right when when they when they showed Ashley Smith, who I felt on the stage and and her being in that position and she's on an island by herself at that moment in time, and and not used to that that scenario and everything, and.
Speaker 3: I just want to reach the TV.
Speaker 11: Yeah, felt really bad for her, and and uh, but then they but then they exacerbated by going and now we're gonna go to commercial and we'll go come back for the final four picks, and they go to a three minute commercial and they rearrange the stage and all that stuff, and and uh and when when they when they picked Charlotte at the at four And then I'm sitting there, going, are you kidding me? San Antonio and Dallas and and then and then those two are left, and I go and I literally I I started laughing a little bit out loud. I was watching with coach Coach Layton and and and with Linda and and I'm sitting there. You gotta be kidding me, I said. And then at that moment in time, I thought, boy, I hope san Antonio gets the first pick. This is just gonna be a bigger story. If they get the first back again, are you kidding me? You know, and and uh, you know, then all the guys would really be out of the woodwork. But as it is, they're gonna get a They're gonna get one of those two guys, I would assume, and you know, and they're they may be off to the races again.
Speaker 10: I know.
Speaker 11: It's uh, that's that's you know. I don't know what to say about that, except except that's that's the proverbial and literal bounce of the ball.
Speaker 3: That's why they call it the lottery. There we go, Minni. Thanks for your time, my friend. We'll see you soon, okay.
Speaker 10: Ben's appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Richard Smith live in studio five o'clock out and I will kind of continue some of this conversation with the Jazz Draft at A five. If you missed it earlier, it's official Jason Tatum as ruptured as Achilles. He actually already had surgery, so hopefully we'll see Tatum back and better than ever at some point. Before we catch a break, we welcome in Ryan from the Dish professionals. Give him a call at eight oh one, four to two four dish. She'll help you save a lot of money, get your budget right with a bunch of different things.
Speaker 2: What's going on right, and it's just crazy.
Speaker 8: We know we've got so many customers that we have.
Speaker 13: Saved, not just like a little bit, but we're talking like three four thousand dollars over the next couple of years.
Speaker 2: The promotion is just a sweetie.
Speaker 13: It's a two year promotion. Price is guaranteed not to change. You get actually a ton of programming less than a lot of the competitors. I mean, that's the thing, and that's right now. Price. We all know what's going to happen six months down the road or cable. Every three months, you're going to see a rat increase and the bill is going to keep going up and up, and next thing you know, you're going to be spending maybe twenty fifty dollars more than what you were paying a couple of years ago. Call up, get set with dish prices, guarantee we'll get you movie channels, sets you up with dinner at jcw's free installation, and get you the biggest, fastest DVR out there. The Hopper calls today four two four dish. It's eight oh one four two four dish.
Speaker 1: Little James Taylor put you in a good mood if you're a bummed out jazz fan today.
Speaker 3: Nothing wrong with a little jt the right song. Yeah, No, I love it.
Speaker 1: Brian Santiago is now the new athletic director at Brigham Young University. Tom Holmo stepped down a number of months ago now, and apparently a search was held. I will tell you this, Brian Santiago is very good friends with Ryan Smith and Danny Ainge.
Speaker 3: So keep it in the family, I guess.
Speaker 5: I mean, especially in today's age, those are relationships that you don't look at. Is weird in the college space anymore. You want them, you want all the money, all the boosters, all the zoubs, You want them in that room, you want their checkbooks open, and you want to be as nice to them as possible.
Speaker 4: And it appears that's going on at the moment.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed, all right.
Speaker 1: NBA playoff action tonight because of the massive story of the NBA Draft lottery again not just the Jazz ending up at number five, but also two Western Conference teams with already good young rosters, well good young roster in San Antonio, still a lot of talent in Dallas, with of course, a D and Kyrie. That's kind of taken up most of our oxygen here. But Porter, are you ready to say with Jason Tatum's sideline sadly that the New York Knicks are going to the Eastern Conference Finals?
Speaker 4: I think so, I think so. I decided, well, I didn't decide.
Speaker 5: It's not up to me to decide, but I had a good feeling yesterday that the winner of that game would win the series. I told my Celtics friends the same thing. And then not only did the Knicks win the series, but the Celtics also lost their best player, a player who, yes, we've gone back and forth about what he is in big moments and big times. He's got a title, he's their most consistent wing. He's and a good player on both ends of the floor. I just don't know how you come back from three to one without Jason Tatum, much less the the feat that it would be to come back with Jason Tatum.
Speaker 3: I've been wildly impressed, man.
Speaker 1: I mean, Jalen is Jalen, but mckel bridges two different fourth quarter just dominant offensive performances, and OG's been awesome. A Pacers Nicks Eastern Conference finals no part of me. You could have given me a million guesses at the start of the year, no part of me would have landed on that.
Speaker 5: It also makes me a little a little scared, not necessarily the matchup, that's more of a nostalgia history thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look you're preaching to the choir. There a little PTSD for Nick fans for sure. So look, all is not lost Jazz fans. You can find great players all over the place. But I understand why last night was just in need of the groin. I will repeat, Let's not be the type of people that win something to not go our away. We simply cry like it's cheating or it's fixed.
Speaker 3: It's not. But it sucks.
Speaker 1: I want to tell you by my friends at Prize Picks, which does not suck. With millions of members, Prize Picks has made daily fantasy sports accessible.
Speaker 3: To all cash.
Speaker 1: You into the basketball playoffs with Prize Picks, don't miss your last chance to add your favorite players from the court to your Prize Picks lineup, whether it's points, rebounds, or assists. Take your pick of more or less for your shots went up to two thousand times your cash today. Turn your playoff hot takes you know, tickets to Basketball Championship Series starting with a playing round. Every lineup you make on Prize Picks will enter you into the Take two tickets sweepstakes, which could get you and a plus one VIP trip to the ship. So download the Prize Picks up today. Use that promo code ESPN seven hundred. You get fifty dollars when you play your first five dollars bet. Don't even have to win the bet, you just get the fifty. So download the Prize Picks app today. Use the promo Cody ESPN seven hundred for free fifty dollars on the house when you play that first five dollars bet. Prize Picks run your game all season long. All right, Porter, let's get out here. I'll be on TV with Dave Fox tonight thirty five Cam. Why you would call it? Five questions with Spence? What comes our way? On a Wednesday edition of the show.
Speaker 5: On a Wednesday edition of The Drive, Spence of course, Sarah Todd talking some jazz, talking some NBA Draft lottery, the number five pick. She is like Andy at the NBA Draft combine. So we'll get some stuff from her on the ground. There Neil Smith will stop by NHL wrap around a little update. I know it's been heavy on the NBA side the last few days, but a little update on the NHL postseason. Chris Camerannie in studio for an entire hour on a Wednesday and speaking of our New York Nicks. One of my favorites that I've met in this sports business. He is one Quentin Richardson, the former Nick and NBA great. Now with the ESPN we got Q on the show. You knucklehead, that's our guy.
Speaker 3: You can't see what I'm doing, but look on YouTube. All right, there you go. That'll be a fun Wednesday show special.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Andy Larson, Alamiteou, Tim McMahon and Richard Smith for any of the saud you may have missed from the show. Just go to the website ESPN seven hundred sports dot com, download the mobile app, Take us on the Goats how I listen to our station, and then support our podcast page. Please, if you like what we do in the afternoons, your support on our pod will help us. It's called The Drive with Spence. Check its that's.
Speaker 3: Available wherever you get your shows. Reporter.
Speaker 1: I'm Spence saying to I talk to you on a Wednesday edition of the program, and as always, you can find it right here on ESPN seven hundred ninety two and FFM.
Speaker 3: We are proud to be part of Utah's ESPN Radio network