Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI hand KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County KFI Radio.
Speaker 1: This is Mission Control Houston.
Speaker 2: Please call station for a.
Speaker 3: Voice check.
Speaker 2: Station.
Speaker 1: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 3: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 2: And it's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Landed and its name is Amy k.
Speaker 5: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 6: This is.
Speaker 1: It's five oh one. This is your wake up call for Wednesday, November twenty seventh, less than a month before Christmas and of course the day before Thanksgiving. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. So glad you're getting your day started with us today. Roads are a little wet coming in, not too bad, but you know how it gets really slick when we haven't had rain for a while, So maybe be a little chill on your way into work. Got the turkey out of the freezer yet, you better? Is there even time to thaw the turkey anymore? Where's Neil Savadra when we need him? Oh he's going to be on tomorrow morning from six to nine, answering all your Turkey Day questions. He's taken the day off today, slacker to get ready for it because he's getting ready for a ton of calls to come in. Here's what's ahead on wake up call, and we got a ton of stuff going on. The CHP's maximum Enforcement period begins tonight at six. Troopers are going to be out looking for dui drivers, speeders, and people not wearing seatbelts. Through December first, last year, nearly thirty people were killed in fatal crashes and more than a thousand people were arrested for dui during the Thanksgiving maximum enforcement period. The ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon's Hesba Lah has begun. Both sides agreed to the deal yesterday. We're going to get the latest from Jerusalem with abciz Jure Donna Miller in just about three minutes. Some families who live near the US Mexico borders say they're canceling Thanksgiving. They say it's too stinky to invite guests into their homes, and odor advisories currently in effect for neighborhoods south of San Diego in the Tijuana River Valley. It's caused by sewage from south of the border. The San Diego County Air Pollution Control District shows that hydrogen sulfide levels have spiked in the area. That's great, so much coming up on wake Up Call today, we hope you can stick with us the whole hour. We've got Kate Tech reporter rich d Muro who's going to share his holiday gift giving guide just in time for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. That's coming up at five twenty. We're also going to be talking with doctor Chris Lowe at Shark Lab. You know, the waters off southern California are about to become more dangerous. We'll find out more about that. Amy's on it. It's well, it's one of the best shows I've seen in a really long time. I'm thinking it's close to ted Lasso level. That's coming up just after five point thirty. If you're looking for a new dish to add to your Thanksgiving table, I just may have found it for you, or you could be totally disgusted with it. That's coming up a little later on wake Up Call, but you don't want to miss it, trust me. And sometime this hour we've got your chance to win tickets to the merriest place on Earth. We have a four pack of one day, one park tickets to the Disneyland Resort. Again. That's coming up today on wake Up Call. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A special task force will be keeping eyes on retail crime this holiday season.
Speaker 7: The California Highway Patrol has activated it's organize nic Retail Crime task Force. It's expected to conduct a variety of undercover and confidential operations in conjunction with other police agencies. The main target of the task force is thieves tied to larger operations. Governor Newsom says the task force has been busy since January, making more than twelve hundred arrest and recovering more than nine point three million dollars in stolen goods. Michael monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Thieves may be using drones to scout properties in the Stevenson Ranch area. The Lakeunty Sheriff's Office says three houses have been broken into in the past week. This man says the break ins happened after residents started seeing drones flying around the neighborhood.
Speaker 4: We've been seeing drones every single day for the past two weeks. I started following it until I saw it coming down on Bihaila Hotel.
Speaker 1: He says his house got hit twice.
Speaker 4: They coming same time and they coming through the second floor. They break the window, get everything, all valuables and they're out in half an hour.
Speaker 1: Thirty SAI. They have promising leads and are urging anyone with information to contact the sheriff station. The Orange County Transportation Authority says it plans to buy fifty new zero emission buses. Officials say the agency is working to comply with the state goal of zero emission technology by twenty forty. Half of thefc ocfa's new buses must be zero emission by twenty twenty six. All of them have to be zero emission by twenty twenty nine. The Board of Police Commissioners has unanimously approved a more than two billion dollar spending plan for the LAPD for the upcoming fiscal year. It's an eight percent increase over the current budget. The proposal now goes to Mayor Bass and the city Administrative Office to get final approval. The Dodgers are beefing up their bullpen the World Series Champions have signed two times Cy Young Award winner Blake Snell. It's a five year, one hundred and eighty two million dollar deal. It's the third largest contract for a lefty in Major League history. Snell pitched for the padres So a producer and is not very happy about this unless he was with the San Francisco Giants. Let's say good morning to ABC's Jordana Miller in Jerusalem, and finally we have something to be thankful for. Israel has approved the US brokers ceasefire with Hesbola in Lebanon, and Hesbola has signed on. Is it underway now?
Speaker 8: It is?
Speaker 9: It feels like a miracle, but yes, the ceasefire started at four am. Has Bala's holding their fire. First morning I've woken up in fourteen months to not see notifications of sirens and rockets and checking who's been heard and what's happening. Also on the Lebanese side of the border. No idea of strikes anywhere. So both sides are holding their fire and we're going God willing, the quiet will hold and in the next sixty days, the plan is to have the Israeli Army turnover it's control of several villages, dozens really along the border, turned the control over to the Lebanese Army. Lebanon's going to send about ten thousand soldiers into the area. UNIFIL is going to come back, and at the same time Hasbala is going to be told it can only you know, it has to move completely out of southern Lebanon, has to move twenty five miles off of Israel's border and go beyond the Latani River, which is where it was supposed to stay last time, after the last war. So I think the real critical question about this ceasefire is not what really happens in these next sixty days, because there's a lot of people on the ground who will be able to verify that Hasbala has moved out, but what happens when the Israeli army leaves, and then there's supposed to be kind of a US led mechanism, not with booths on the ground, but the US friends and others looking at what's happening and ensuring that Hasboala doesn't come back. In that A big chunk of that responsibility obviously will be on the Lebanese army as well, and Israel has already said really across the board, the political leaders, the defense leaders, that if they see violations of this agreement, Israel will go and attack, whether that's a smuggling route, arms, militants, you know, someone who's trying to re establish a rocket launch or whatever it is, Israel's going to says they're going to really go on the offense and be very aggressive because they've learned they made a major mistake last time, letting Hsbola come in and they militarize the whole area, right right, So.
Speaker 1: Okay, Sir Jordan, and I have a question for you. There is so there is a difference between the Lebanese soldiers and has blow fighters. They're two different that's right. Okay, So, but so far the Lebanese military has sort of let Hesbula slide and not crack down on them, or do they just kind of keep a hands off on them?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 9: So, I think what happened over the last twenty years is that the Lebanese army, you know, wittingly or unwittingly, you know, they they allowed Hasbala to come in and you know, and and rearm and take over southern Lebanon, uh the U when again maybe turned a blind eye. So remember though Hasbala is not only a militia, a large armed militia within Lebanon, it's a political party. So there may have been some kind of agreement to let Lebanon come in, to let Hasbala come into southern Lebanon. But now after you know this war and the destruction and death it has wrought Lebanon, the Lebanese government appears to be taking a much harder stance against Hasbola, and Lebanon is in a terrible position even before this war, right, they have had political deadlock and an economy that's free falling. So you know, they may it's in their interest or crack down more on Hasballa this time around, So we'll see.
Speaker 1: Okay. And do you think pressure from Lebanon helped get Hesbola to the table or was it possibly just that Israeli was doing so much the Israeli army was doing so much damage they were kind of forced to the table.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I think they were pretty much forced to the table. If Masralla was still alive, if we didn't see the pagers and the walkie talkies, you know, you know, I think we would still be in the middle of a war. I mean, Israel hit and hit hard and went into southern life the non Uh gradually but built up their forces and essentially pushed Hasbala out of the villages and by the way, destroyed them in great part. I think as a as a means to preventing some of the Shii communities which are aligned with Hasbala, from coming back. I mean, you know, this is the dark, This is the dark and ugly side of war, right.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Jordana, you struck me with the first thing you said. It was the first day in fourteen months that you didn't have notifications about attacks or warnings or anything like that. Are those warnings that are going out to everybody or those that you get because you're in You're a news reporter, So.
Speaker 9: Some people get them. A lot of people get them all the time because it's you know, it's the notification app that tells you where the sirens are and where to go. And you know, so, I mean, I tend to get more because I'm a reporter. But nonetheless, I can say I can say that it's really the first time that you know, I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that the Northern Front is quiet because it's been a it's been like a shadow over this whole war. Gaza was horrifying, but even beyond Gaza, there was this fear of how the war would explode and develop with his Bala, and at some points it looked really dark and scary. And now you know, we're in a different ballgame where his Bolla has been you know, neutered. They haven't been defeated, but they've been they've been hit hard, and they won't be firing rockets on Israel for a long time. And Iran, even now that Trump's in office, Iran also is not going to attack again. So you know, this is the first time that really in fourteen months that the northern border is not an issue, right because his Balla has been firing since October.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we will continue to pray that it stays nice and quiet and you don't get lots of notifications. I can't imagine what that does to your psyche, you know, just having that going on all the time. So ABC's Jordana Miller something to be thankful for this thanksgiving. Thank you so much, take care and we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 8: Tuckson.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man in La wanted for domestic violence has been shot by police after allegedly pointing two guns at officers.
Speaker 4: No officers were injured during this, but this kind of shows just what our officers are facing out there every day.
Speaker 1: LAPD Chief Jim McDonald says the man led police on a chase yesterday from San Pedro to the West Adams area. Police say the guy calmly got out of his car and walked toward officers with a gun in each hand. The officers fired injuring the man. A woman who appeared to be approaching the man from a nearby apartment building was treated for what officers said was a gun shot to an arm. The leaders of Mexico and Canada reacting to the possibility of tariffs being put on products from their countries coming into the US for incident. Elect Trump says he'll put twenty five percent tariffs on goods unless the countries help stop the flow of illegal immigrants and drugs. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he has spoken to Trump about this.
Speaker 10: This is a relationship that we know takes a certain amount of working on and that's.
Speaker 2: What we'll do.
Speaker 1: Mexico's President, Claudia Scheinbaum, says she would impose retaliatory tariffs on American goods. Big Sunday, one of LA's leading volunteer organizations, is hosting its Big Thanksgiving Stuffing Event today to hand out to thousands of bags of food for people in need. Two thousand volunteers will be at the Festival of Gratitude from nine to noon in Studio City to give out food to about sixteen thousand people. Big Sunday founder David Levinson says it's a meaningful tradition.
Speaker 5: Every year on the day before Thanksgiving, we fill bags full of food for people who who.
Speaker 8: Are grateful but hungry who need food for Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: He says, schools, religious institutions, business nonprofits and families from across southern California have all come together for the Big Stuffing Again event. Don't forget we have some special for you today. On wake up Call, the Holidays are here. At the Disneyland Resort, KFI wants to give you a chance to enjoy the wonder, joy and magic of the season. Experience World of Color, Season of light it's a nighttime spectacular at Disney California Adventure Park. Or over at Disneyland Park, you can rediscover holiday classics like a Christmas Holiday Fantasy Parade and so much more. Keep listening to KFI. In fact, keep listening to Wake Up Call this morning for your chance to win a four pack of one day, one park tickets to Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park coming up. Before six am. A jet had to abort its takeoff at LAX because of a bird strike. Officials say the plane was accelerating down the runway yesterday when passengers and crew say they heard a loud bang. The Horizon Airlines plane slowed down, returned to the gate, passengers gone on another plane. The FA says there were almost twenty thousand bird strikes in the US last year. More than a dozen homes have been evacuated in Torrents because of a natural gas leak. A natural gas line was struck at an evacuation site before noon yesterday near Pennsylvania Avenue in two hundred and thirty thirty sixth place. Repair Work was expected to take several hours. The holiday shopping season unofficially kicks off on Friday. It's expected to be a big one. The National Retail Foundation predicts consumers will spend a record nine hundred and eighty nine billion dollars during the holidays this year. Black Friday is followed the next day by Small Business Saturday, a big favorite of mine, and then on December second, it's Cyber Monday. And speaking of shopping and deals and holidays, let's say good morning to KTLA's tech reporter and the host of rich on Tech on KFI. It's rich Demiro. Rich You've got a holiday gift guide and we want to know what's in it.
Speaker 10: I do, Yes, it's on my website, rich on tech dot TV. These are all the things that I have tested over the past year or so and things that I've really like. And they're not very expensive, most of them, even every Yeah, I mean that's the thing. It's like stocking stuffers, just little things that like I like. In fact, I'm still updating this with some of the other stuff. You know, everyone wants an iPad, everyone wants an Apple Watch, things like that, but this is stuff that you may not you know, necessarily know about, like a power bank, the or a digital picture frame, which I absolutely love. That is a crowd pleasing gift. If you get one thing this year, get that.
Speaker 1: I have one of those. Those are like the coolest thing or I don't have when I gave one to my mom, and it's just the neatest thing because you've got the pictures scrolling through on a regular basis. You don't have to put twenty five frames up around the house. They're just they and you can update them as you go, Like you get a new picture, you can go, oh, I'm going to send that to my picture frame.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I mean I'm connected with my with my dad's and so I can and my in laws and so I can see when they add pictures and it's just great. It's like it's nice to know that even two years later for them, they're still using that and they still love it because it's just a great way to display your pictures outside of your phone.
Speaker 1: How much is the row do you know?
Speaker 8: The ore one?
Speaker 10: They have different prices that right now, I think it's on sale for about one forty let's see, but you know that can change tomorrow because sorry, on Friday. Right now, it doesn't look like it's on sale in a major way, but I predict maybe Black.
Speaker 8: Friday, it'll be a better deal.
Speaker 1: So that's a good one. That's a good one.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Okay, what else you Let's see what else do we have. I've got some earbuds that I really like, These CMF buds that are, you know, fifty six bucks. They they're just great for the price, and they've stay in your ears, and they come in fun colors. And the case very unique. The case has its like click wheel on it, so you can use that to like adjust the volume, to call up like chat GBT. It's like you can customize it however you want. So that's really cool. I've got this. I've got a couple gadgets for flying, So I've got a couple of ways to like prop up your phone. I got this thing called gator grip. I've got another thing called the clicker. I use one of those to prop up my phone to watch videos on the plane. And then I've got something like the cord brick, which is a great stocking stuffer. It's a way to keep your cables organized and from falling behind the desk.
Speaker 1: Oh, I gotta check that out.
Speaker 8: That thing.
Speaker 10: I'm telling you that it's just the greatest thing. I saw it a Lows too, and I was like, oh my gosh, they sell this at Low's, so it's just perfect for a stocking stuffer. Let's see, I've got a charger for travel Peacock. You know they're doing a great deal right now. I've got that linked up. You can get a year of Peacock for just twenty bucks. I did that last year. I did it again yesterday, so twenty dollars. You don't have to pay a streaming bill every month, which is great and.
Speaker 1: Isn't Don't a lot of the streaming services offer Black Friday deals? They did last year?
Speaker 10: It seems like, yes, I've got my friend does. He does a list called the Big List of Streaming deals from cord Cutter Weekly, and he's got the top deals right now. Hulu Black Friday deal a year for a dollar per month with ads, Peacock a year for twenty dollars max. Six months with ads for three dollars. Amazon Prime Video channels were.
Speaker 8: All on sale.
Speaker 10: Powermount plus two months AD free for three dollars per month. So well, that's good.
Speaker 8: I'll put that. I'll link that up as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have a question for it for you on that too. If you already have those services, can you cancel them and re up them for the price ers not only for new people.
Speaker 10: Usually you can cancel and reup them. So that's why I do with Peacock. So I canceled mine and then I just resubscribed. So it's sort of I'm sure it depends on the streaming service, but some of the deals are for you know, new customers only. But most of the time, in my experience, it works like because they just they just want the customers. They don't they don't really care, you know, don't doesn't cost them twenty dollars a month to provide Netflix. Okay, real quick, one more thing, this little wall crawler gecko. So we're doing a story today on KTLA about some of these products that our friends at Best Reviews brought in. And this wall crawler gecko I ordered immediately. It's like a thirty dollars toy kind of suctions onto the wall. It's remote control and the kids are gonna love it. It just crawls on the wall.
Speaker 1: Okay, you've already given me. I have a friend of mine her his her husband is a total like ten geek guy and loves that kind of stuff.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, I mean it's the kind of to the yes, like I saw it. I'm like, okay, I don't even tell me anything about this, I'll just buy this thing.
Speaker 8: It's like, it's great. I also have speakers on there.
Speaker 10: I've got some a portable projector that I like. I mean, it's everything that I like, and everything in here I've tested and it's approved and it's you know, it's all on sale pretty much as far as I can tell.
Speaker 1: I love that, Okay. And then I wanted to ask you too about Charlie Brown Thanksgiving because it's not on Network TV this year. No, it is not, which is really disappointing.
Speaker 10: I know this is a thing. My kids actually wouldn't watch this the other night without me. My wife said, you want to watch Charlie Brown. They said, no, no, we got to watch your dad. That's his favorite. So Apple TV. Apple bought this basically back in twenty twenty. They bought the rights for it, so they took it to Apple TV Plus, so you have to have a subscription to that now. In years past, people got really angry when they heard about this, and so they aired it on PBS or on like broadcast TV for like one night.
Speaker 8: That window is closed. You can't watch this for free anymore.
Speaker 10: But here's the deal. You can get a free seven day trial of Apple TV. Best Buy is offering it actually three months right now through best Buy. So Target has a deal best Buy. So basically, if you want to watch this with your kids, you get the Apple TV Plus app. Don't sign up through Apple, just go on best buy dot com search for Apple TV Plus. You can get a code for three free months watch it as much you want. They also have the Christmas one. You know, you can watch all the Peanuts stuff.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to say. Do they also have Charlie Brown Christmas there?
Speaker 10: They've got they They've got ones you haven't even heard of Charlie Brown Near's Eve.
Speaker 8: No, I don't think they have that one.
Speaker 1: But my plat is Charlie Brown gets drunk. That's nice.
Speaker 10: Charlie Brown regrets his decisions he made the night before.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, that's good to know because I think that's a that's a holiday classic. If you want to find out more about this, and of course the Holiday Gift Guide, which you're going to be updating through the holidays, I would imagine at richon Tech dot tv. Of course, you can watch him on KTLA and you can listen to him every Saturday right here on KFI because Rich Dumiro is the host of rich on Tech from eleven am to two pm. And you can follow Rich on Instagram rich on Tech, and his website again is rich on Tech dot TV. Have a happy Thanksgiving, Rich, Thank you.
Speaker 8: Amy you too, Happy Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll talk to you next week. The La County Department of Public Health is warning residents to avoid drinking voluntarily recalled raw milk because of a detection of bird flu virus. It was found in a retail sample. The California Department of Public Health is also worn against consuming a specific batch of Raw Farm raw milk. NBC's and Thompson explains the potential danger.
Speaker 11: Officials have long worn that raw milk can pose serious health risks because it can carry dangerous germs such as E.
Speaker 1: Coli, salmonella, and lasteria. The recalled batch includes court and a half and half gallon sizes with an expiration date of November twenty seventh. No illnesses have been reported, and Fresno based Raw Farm's own tests returned NEGA La County supervisors have approved a motion to offer support to illegal immigrants in the county. The motion, approved yesterday reaffirms the county's ban on using any local resources for immigration enforcement. It also reaffirms the county's commitment to represent LA program, which provides legal help to people in the us I Legally free fentanyl test strips are now available at some La County libraries to combat the surge in deadly overdoses from the powerful drug. The strips are available at thirteen county libraries every Wednesday from noon to four pm as part of an initiative with the California Department of Healthcare Services. The man who starred in the first episode of The Twilight Zone and had a career that spanned more than fifty years on TV and the big screen has died.
Speaker 5: Actor Earl Holloman's long career included the TV series Policewoman with Angie Dickinson, a Golden Globe for the rain Maker in nineteen fifty six, and the science fiction classic Forbidden Planet. Holloman also starred in the first episode of the Twilight Zone in nineteen fifty nine as a man who finds himself in a suspense viciously empty town where he's taunted by signs that he may not really be alone.
Speaker 6: But if there was a bomb, everything would be destroyed, and nothing is destroyed.
Speaker 5: The Hollywood reporter says Holloman died Monday in hospice care at his home in Studio City. He was ninety six. Mark Ronner, KFI News.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got our investigator Nick on the spot, who says that rich may have thought he was kidding about a Charlie Brown New Year, but he's not. There is a show on Apple TV It's Happy New Year. Charlie Brown might have to check that one out. Two people have been injured in a police chase that ended with a shooting in LA's West Adams neighborhood. Polly said they were chasing a domestic violence suspect who was driving a white Maserati in San Pedro yesterday. The driver stopped in a residential area, got out of the car and pointed a pair of guns at officers. That's when he was shot. A man from Northridge has been arrested after allegedly trying to board a flight at LAX was seventy one pounds of meth soaked clothing in his bags, including a kut pajama onesie. Federal prosecutors say the clothes were stuffed in two bags that were checked for his flight to Sydney, Australia, November sixth. Custom's officials say the clothes had dried stiff and there was a white residue on the clothing that tested positive for meth. California is one of the most expensive places to host Thanksgiving dinner. A study by Go Banking Rates says the average cost of a Thanksgiving dinner in California is seventy bucks. That's the fifth highest in the country. The study analyzed the costs of stuffing pie, potatoes, and turkey. At six poho five, it's handle on the news. There is a cease fire in Israel between Hesbalah and Israel and it's holding for now. At five point fifty, we're talking about doctor Chris Lowe with shark lab. It could soon be extinct shark lab and the waters off the southern California coast could be more dangerous because of it.
Speaker 4: Aamie's on it, Aami's on it, Aami's on it, Damie's on it?
Speaker 1: What am I on? I'm on this? Stream movies, documentaries, series, and there's so much out there. How do you know what to watch? Well, a lot of times I take recommendations from friends and then pass them on to you if I think they're worth a watch or maybe they're worth skipping. So one of my best friends, Debbie, who's up in Oregon, she was just down here visiting me. She said, I really like Man on the Inside, and I went, oh, that's right. That's a new series with Ted Danson. It's on Netflix. It's just a eight episode so if you feel the need to binge, it's easy to do, and if you want to spread it out you can. I've already binged the whole thing again. It stars Ted Danson. Sally Struthers is in it. Stephen McKinley Henderson, who you will recognize even if you're not sure who the name. He was in Civil War, he was in Dune Part One, lots of other shows too. You're going to recognize him immediately. Margaret Avery, who played sug in The Color Purple, and Lori tan Chin who in Orange It's the New Black. She's a great actress. So Man on the Inside is from the creator of the Good Place and Parks and rec and also the writer on the office it's Michael Sure. He's behind a man on the inside, and Sure has a certain style. So this show already feels kind of familiar from the start, not the story, but just the feel of the series. Charles, who is played by Ted Danson, is a retired college professor. His wife has recently died. He's depressed, he's lonely, he's not connecting with his daughter. He tries, but he just can't seem to do it, and so he's trying to figure out what he's going to do next. So he's reading the paper one day because he does read the paper because he's totally old school, and it comes across this help wantadad and applies to be an undercover assistant investigator in a retirement home in San Francisco, and he gets hired to do that, and so he infiltrates the retirement home and it ends up that this show it becomes a journey not only to find a thief, which is why he's going undercovers to find out who's stealing stuff from the retirement home, but also to kind of find himself. And I will tell you Ted Danson is fantastic and charming and funny and like just a true class act and proves that he's just a class actor. He's so just it's great to watch him, and the supporting cast is wonderful and it's really a great bitch. Again, just eight episodes and it's a quick one and it's totally worth it. One of the best shows I've seen in a while. And I was like, one, how much do I like this? And I started thinking ted Lasso, which you know, if you listen to Wake Up Call, that's like my favorite show of all time. Maybe not quite there, but it's right up there. It was really good, and it's like heartwarming and it's heartbreaking, and it's just a fun, fun watch. And I think with everything so dark in so many places of our lives, you need a little lightness and joy and this provides that. I'm on it. It's man on the inside. I think you should be two. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Thousands of fake Gibson guitars have been seized at the Port Complex in LA.
Speaker 7: Officials with US Customs and Border Protections say had the guitar has been real, they would have been valued at around eighteen million dollars. Instead, the three thousand knockoffs have been seized at the ports of LA and Long Beach. Federal investigators say it's the largest seizure of fake musical instruments on record. The Border Patrol also says it's a reminder to be diligent when shopping online this holiday season, as that prized item may not be what it seems. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A sixteen year old girl and her three month old baby have been reported missing in Palmdale. The girl is the Hispanic four foot nine, one hundred and fourteen pounds with brown hair and brown eyes. Her daughter is twenty two inches tall, eleven pounds, brown, hot eyes, last scene wearing a pink onesie. They were last seen yesterday in Palmdale. The La County Sheriff's Department says the teen might have been headed to LA's West Lake District. The Department of Energy's Security Administration will be conducting low level flights over downtown Washington, d C. Over the next couple of weeks, official states to measure radiation levels. The head of President elect Trump's inauguration, the agency says the measurements will help protect public health and safety. During the inauguration, the potential buyers of a ski resort in the Angelos National Force say they envision an exclusive club for skiers.
Speaker 11: Under the plan, the San Gabriel Mountain Wilderness Resort would have a country club style membership with the yearly dues that could amount to seventeen point five million dollars in annual revenue. Paying members would have priority access to the best ski conditions. The US Forest Service oversees the area and as indicated, it would not allow such a plan to go forward. It remains to be seen if the purchase of the resort is contingent upon the plan being approved.
Speaker 1: I'm Phil Hewlett, Okay, So with Thanksgiving coming up, I'm always looking for something new. I used to do, like do you have us just something that you do every year. I used to do green bean casserole and sweet potatoes. That was my thing, But I think I was kind of the only one who liked the sweet potatoes and the green bean castrole when I would take it to my friends giving dinners. And so then a few years ago I got this killer mac and cheese recipe which is delicious, but it's also super expensive because it's like all these different kinds of exotic cheeses and it makes a ton. And like I said, it's delicious, but it's very expensive. So still looking for new dishes that I might want to introduce into my Thanksgiving meal tradition, and so scrolling through Instagram the other day and I found one and it's a doozy Listen to this under the plan the sand Gabriel, not that one.
Speaker 6: It isn't too early to be thinking about something spectacular for holiday eating. And cranberry crimson mold could be it. It's colorful, good and you can make it ahead of time.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: We started by dissolving two packages of strawberry flavored gelatine in a cup and a half of boiling water, and now we're adding the gelatine gradually to a cup of miracle whip salad dressing. What that's where the creamy look and the teasing flavor come from. After the mixture has chilled till it's slightly thickened, fold in a tenance package of cranberry relish a cup and a half of apple sauce. It's a marvelous combination of flavors and the lively, teasing taste of miracle whip is perfect for it just before serving unmolded. Then we're going to top it off with more miracle whip and watercress. With holiday time coming up and lots of sandwiches and salads to be made better, get a couple of jars of uncopyable miracle whip from Kraft?
Speaker 1: Is that so it's a real thing? Like they had pictures of it and they showed him making it, and I, like I said, I started watching them like, oh good, something new. And as soon as they said miracle whip, I said, all hack to the No, Nick, what do you think where I found it?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 8: I agree, No, I understand.
Speaker 12: And it's so funny because I realized we did message about this. Like I'm realizing now we did message about this.
Speaker 1: Okay, if I make it, will you try it?
Speaker 8: I will try it.
Speaker 1: You'll like it.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 12: You remember the do you remember the kombucha girl face? Like there's the kombucha girl where she's like like she has like the face like it's good. No, it's not good, it's good, it's not good. Like That's what I'm thinking. As he was describing I was like, Okay, that doesn't sound terrible. Oh that sounds disgusting. Oh that doesn't sound horrible. And then I was like, the last when was the last time you had watercress? I can't even think of this because I remember watercress. This, you know, it's what Yeah, it's it's kind of like an arugula idea. And it just makes you laugh because I think watercress sandwiches from like tea sandwiches.
Speaker 1: Okay, well here's the day I saw it. I was absolutely disgusted, and I said, I've got to make this really yes, so I win, and then I and then of course nobody has jello molds anymore. My mom has a but so I had to order one on Amazon and it got here yesterday. So I'm going to go home after the show today. I'm gonna make the Thanksgiving Miracle whip jello mold salad. And then, and I think Cono and I are the only ones who are actually here in this studio tomorrow morning, so I'm gonna make Cono ry it.
Speaker 8: I will be.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, Well, sauce got me the apple sauce got me in there. You're a good way in a good way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like Apple sauce, Apple Sauce and Miracle Whip.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Okay, I expect an Instagram live you too, because yeah, we all need to see this. We need to see facial expressions of trying this con I know that's not your it's not your deal to do Instagram Live, but I'm going to need you to lean into it, buddy.
Speaker 1: We'll see what we can do. But I am making it, and I am bringing it in tomorrow and we'll give you an update. You can always go try to You can fight it on Instagram if you want to try it too, And if you do, I would love to hear what you think when you make it, okay. Governor Newsom says a HP is going to work with local police in southern California, the Bay Area, and Sacramento to combat retail crime during the holiday shopping season. Their goal is to catch criminals in the act and protect the holiday shopping experience for everyone. Staff and probation officers working at La County Juvenile detention facilities will be carrying nelock zone under a motion approved by the Board of Supervisors. Thelock zone, also known as narkhan, can reverse the effects of an opioid drug overdose. The emotion will make NARCNN available at juvenile halls and calls for staff to be trained in how to use it. There may be trouble in former Royal Paradise. Megan Markle has released a statement following her appearance at a Thanksgiving event last week without Harry. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reportedly in the midst of what is being called a professional separation, with reports suggesting that their work relationship is in a bad state. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning. Trump's team is finally signed on the dotted line and can move forward with its transition. Right now, let's say good morning to doctor Christopher Lowe in the Department of Biological Science's Shark Lab at cal State University, Long Beach. Good morning, doctor Lowe.
Speaker 3: Good morning. It's good good to hear you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for coming on with us. We wanted to talk to you because Shark Lab is about to run out of funding. We've known about this for a while, but now it's getting to where it's it's imminent, so we wanted to talk to you about Shark Lab and its future. If there is one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we're at a precarious point. So unfortunately, our state funding runs out completely at January first, so I'm losing I've already lost half my staff and I will have to let go of the rest and start pulling all our monitoring equipment out of the water.
Speaker 1: Okay, So how many people are we're on We're on staff before we had to start making cuts.
Speaker 3: So I had five full time staff, okay, which included a lot of field staff and computer staff. Because we gather huge amounts of digital data that we push out to the federal and state government. Okay, but yeah, go ahead. So but our goal is to make that public. We want to make all our detection data public by next year. Own funding to do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So and how much how much does it cost to fund shark clab.
Speaker 3: Well, our annual operating budget is about eight hundred thousand dollars a year, and that enables us to work from Monterey all the way down the Mexican border.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's talk a little bit about what you have been doing, because you mentioned monitoring equipment and you mentioned sharks, So what exactly does Sharklab do?
Speaker 3: So what Shark clab does is trying to answer the question of where are all these white shirts coming from, why are they hanging out at these beaches, what are they doing while they're there, And what the lifeguards want to know is when are they going to leave? So to do that we use telemetry monitoring. So we go we tag these sharks. We have three hundred tagged right now. They're moving along the California coast and we have listening stations all along the beaches listening for those sharks. And when a tag shark is detected, it sends lifeguards a text alert and then they can go see all the specs on that shark. Where is it? Then, how big is it? What's it doing?
Speaker 1: Okay, so they can it's sort of a preemptive they're like, okay, there are some white sharks out there, we need to be extra cautious in watching for them because they're surfers out there and swimmers out there all the time exactly.
Speaker 3: And in fact, one of the things that they're learning from this technology is not so much that it's an early warning system, but they're beginning to understand the patterns of behavior. For example, there may be an eight foot white shark out off that beach every single day, but nobody's seeing it. So therefore why close the beach? Now, every time they close the beach, that comes at a big cost to that community. So if you can minimize beach closures and keep the people safe, that's the goal.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's the question, because since you're watching them swim around and do their thing, has Shark clab like saved lives because of what you're doing.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I'm not gonna say we're saved human lives. We certainly save shark lives because what we're learning about these movement patterns is really helpful for lifeguards in better advising the public. And in addition, the other monitoring tool we use, our drums drones have been a very powerful tool helping us kind of see what sharks do around people. And one of the things we found and published on last year is that probably as I speak, there's a white shark swimming underneath a surfer who's out in the lineup this morning waiting to catch a wave, and they don't even know that shark is there, and that shark is treating that person like their flocks. And so these are the things that we're learning, and they're telling us that these animals aren't nearly as dangerous as Discovery channels made them out to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Discovery Channel makes them look vicious and the movie Jaws. I still I didn't go into the water for months after that. So, and one of the things that you've also found, if I'm remember berncorrectly, is that the juvenile sharks, the juvenile white shirks, are the ones who kind of come closer to shore, That's right.
Speaker 3: They form these nurseries we call the nursery schools where you'll get adjucations up to forty and the smallest ones they're born at about four and a half feet long and then they're hanging out in these nurses until they're about nine feet long. And believe it or not, a nine foot long white shirk is still a juvenile.
Speaker 1: And when they're juveniles, will they attack people or do they wait till they're mature?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean we don't really know why they occasionally attack people, but the juvenile bites by juveniles are extremely rare, even more rare than bites by adults.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean shark shark bites. As we talk about their scary and Discovery Channel makes them look even more scary. But they're so rare, really, which is a good thing.
Speaker 3: They really are, they really are. I mean, you have a better chance of winning the lottery. So you know what I always tell people. Look, if you've been in the water off the California coast, the white shirks went by you and you didn't know it. So but that means they don't really about us. We are not on the menu, and occasionally accidents happen, but white sharks make accident They make mistakes a lot less frequently than we do.
Speaker 1: Okay, so doctor Low, tell us, what are you doing anything to try to keep shark Lab open or is this an inevitable thing? What's going on?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, we hope to get our state funding reinstated. As everybody knows, the state budget it's not great right now. We've you know, a lot of legislators and the public really like what we do. We were lined up to get refunded and then unfortunately state budget was bad. So right now we need carryover money. Carryover money is going to have to come in the form of private because that can happen fast. So getting Tuesdays coming up, it's easy to donate to Shark Lab. You can just type in CSOB shark Lab into Google and then type donate and then it'll take you right to a page.
Speaker 1: Okay, that that is key, So if you want to keep yourself a little safer in the water. You know, sharks are scary, but there's such an incredibly important part of the whole ocean ecosystem. We can't really do the ocean without them.
Speaker 3: Right, absolutely, any fred, they're exact, and they're kind of a bell weather, right, they're actually telling us that our co solutions are getting a little healthier. So you can have those sharks if the rest of the ocean is that that off. So the fact that they've been recovering as quickly as they have from being overfished is really a good sign for ocean. So we kind of need them out there. The marine mammals need them. They help keep those populations healthy. So we need people to help care and protect sharks as well as people.
Speaker 1: Okay, so if you'd like to help out, they need carry over money and then hopefully we'll get state funding back. But where again do we go to make a donation if we want to help keep shark Lab open.
Speaker 3: Just google csuob Shark Lab donation and they will take you right to a page.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Okay, Doctor Christopher Low, thanks so much for getting up with us this morning and sharing the information. It's important work. Hope hopefully you'll be cain continuing it after the first of January.
Speaker 3: Great, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: All right, take care. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The FBI and US Marshals are warning about phone scams that involve people pretending to be marshals, court officers, and other government agents. They say scammers tell people they've broken the law and have to pay up or be arrested. Authority say the scammers tell people to withdraw money and transfer it to the government, to buy prepaid debit or gift cards, or deposit money into bitcoin ATMs. Again, that's a scam. Israel and Lebanon have agreed to the US brokered ceasefire to end the fighting with Hezbola. President Biden says it's good news, and he also wants to see an end to the fighting in Gaza.
Speaker 9: Mal Hamas has a choice to make.
Speaker 6: Their only way out is to release the hostages, including American citizens, which they hold.
Speaker 1: Biden says Israel reserves the right to resume operations in Lebanon if Hesbolas breaks the terms of the truce, but the deal is designed to be a permanent cessation of hostilities. Israel says it will attack with might if Hesbola breaks the truce that started early this morning. The fourteenth annual KFI Pastathon is here. Chef Bruno's charity, Katerina's Club, provides more than twenty five thousand meals every week to kids in need in southern California. I did the math on that that's more than a million a year, and we can't do it without you. Here's how you can help. Donate now at kfiam six forty dot com, slash Pastathon shop at any Smart and Final store donate any amount at checkout, or you can head into any Wendy's in southern California. Donate five dollars or more and you'll get a coupon book for Wendy's Yummies. And of course, we would love it if you would join us at the Anaheim White House on Giving Tuesday. That's this coming Tuesday. We're gonna be broadcasting from five am, starting with Wakeup Call till ten pm, ending with mo Kelly. You can donate on site. Stop by and say hi, drop off pasta and sauce donations. We'd love to see you there, and of course, one hundred percent of your donation goes to Katerina's Club. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland. Weather from KFI slight chance of showers this morning, becoming partly cloudy with highs in the mid sixties at the beaches, upper sixties for Metro La and Inlan, Orange County, around seventy in the valleys, in ie fifties in the Antelope Valley. Partly cloudy tonight with lows in the forties to low fifties. A mix of sun and clouds for Thanksgiving Day, with highs in the sixties to mid seventies. Mostly cloudy with highs in the sixties to mid seventies. For Black Friday. It's sixty in San Gabriel, sixty one Lakewood, sixty one in Anaheim, and fifty nine in Mission via Ho. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.