Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Holy.
Speaker 2: Crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are.
Speaker 3: Getting off our show. Idiots.
Speaker 4: The kids are crying or tail off.
Speaker 3: The coaches are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play inter Murals, Brother, gold Play inn Murals.
Speaker 4: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick coffee?
Speaker 4: Sorry about that?
Speaker 5: Better late than never, And I'm not really late, but usually the music doesn't play this long before we get the things started. But I was so distracted by daytime college basketball postseason hoops going on right now that I didn't even realize. As the show starts and we hear the music and it's time to it's time to do the damn thing, as they say, I didn't have my headphone. So anyways, it is beautiful and we have basketball going on, and.
Speaker 4: That's that's about as good as it gets.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's officially spring yet. I don't think it is, but it certainly feels like it. And I don't know whenever we get to this part of the year, and I feel like even if we do get some colder days next week or whatever, maybe you never really know what you're gonna get around here. But right around now conference tournament season is when is when it's like, all right, we're close, meaning like the warm weather, the nice weather's going to be here, and usually like on we like I just with college basketball being such a big part of our culture around here, I mean I can like I can think of certain years decade ago, eight years ago of like where I was at whenever I was just consuming all the different conference tournaments because you know, March madness is great, right the field of sixty eight, that's what really really moves the needle and gets a lot of tension nationally. But conference tournaments are pretty awesome too, And we've had some already conclude, some getting started here today, including the ACC and there's already one game going on right now. So again, best time of the year, and it is so much more enjoyable, so much more enjoyable to be.
Speaker 4: A part of it with the team.
Speaker 5: You know that you know, we don't play I mean, I don't know about you guys, don't I did not and don't currently play for the team. I'm not on the team, but you know, clearly when it comes to college hoops, I've got an emotional investment in Louisville and we've just been dead the last couple of years when it comes to this stuff. And I don't know about you guys, but I was able to still enjoy college basketball and everything that comes with it even though Louisville was I mean, in fact, it was probably if I'm going to try to find a silver lining, you know, I didn't. It was just on life support, right, like just on a ventilator, like were or maybe we were actually dead.
Speaker 4: I think we were dead.
Speaker 5: But my point is I never got high or low, like I just observed, and my rooting interest was on what I bet on. I mean, I didn't really even mean it became like an appointment to watch louwell because it just feels weird not doing it no matter what. But also, you know, I had a postgame show, so I kind of needed to at least know what was going on.
Speaker 4: In fact, I didn't.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure I could have not watched eighty percent of the games last season and it would have been the same show.
Speaker 4: If I'm being real with you.
Speaker 5: So I learned that about myself, by the way, because I didn't know if you'd have told me seven eight years ago, will you be able to love college basketball and still, you know, have an appreciation for the sport if it's just you as a casual, well not really a casual, but a you know, somebody without any skin in the game. Right, I'm just you know, I don't really have any rooting interest. I'm just loving it and betting and enjoying it. But I don't really you know, there's not a team that I care about. And I did, I still liked it. But man, it's so much better whenever you know you're in this position where you're safely in the term it and you don't even have to start the tournament, meaning the conference tournament.
Speaker 4: You can you can wait a.
Speaker 5: Couple of days because Louisville, of course, they've got the double buy and it's a good place to be, all right.
Speaker 4: It's coffee and company. Feel about.
Speaker 5: Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety taking you up until six o'clock. Nick Coffee, that is me. We've got Austin Montgomery, the travel chief in the house today.
Speaker 4: It's me and we will.
Speaker 5: We will take you up till six, as I mentioned, and we'll let you guys be part of the show today. Thank you to all of you who are texting in on the text line Ellenn Federal Credit Union text line. I still I'm having to reference the number now. I'm in my own head because I feel like if I would have just you know, not thought about it, and just I guess I would have to think about it, you know, to then to then share the text line. But the numbers four five O two four three eight ninety seventy three again five oh two four three eight ninety seventy three, if I wouldn't have brought it up yesterday, I probably wouldn't have had probably wouldn't have this like little mental block of like, all right, I think you know it, and then I start to stumble, and the last thing I want to do is give it out incorrectly, because then you know that really that really hurt us in our attempt to try to get people familiar with the new number when we've had to change after having the same number for about seven years. But again, the numbers five O two four to three, eight ninety to seventy three, and I don't know why I said that, like it's the score of a game. Five O two four three eight nine zero seven three.
Speaker 2: It did sound like a score of a game.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 5: I think it's because I'm looking at this Pittsburgh Notre Dame game and I don't know why.
Speaker 2: So your brain's already like divided.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I'm just I'm a sad son of a bitch because I don't know why I still bet on Pittsburgh and Jeff Cable, Like, why why do I do it?
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, what the hell happened to them? They were a top twenty five team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean they fell apart in a way that that is just I mean, it doesn't get as much attention because what it really turns out people just assume, well, they were never any good. It's just they you know, they beat up on bad teams early and found their way to the top twenty five, right, But like they actually were playing pretty good basketball, I thought. But they fell apart in a way that again, if the ACC wasn't the conference that it is as far as just you know, falling apart and only likely going to get three teams in, then maybe it would be a bigger story. But yes, they fell apart, and I've always felt like their teams should be better. But like when am I gonna learn right, I gotta look in the mirror after I bet on Jeff Caple and Pittsburgh because when they lose, how can I be surprised? They should just be a stay away. But anyhow, like speaking of the ACC, let's just get right into it.
Speaker 4: So we have.
Speaker 5: Now two different ACC Coach of the Year awards that Pat Kelsey has won. So yesterday this was announced right around the five o'clock hour, the ACC released the winners and this is this was voted on by the league as far as the coaches and media, so and and I'm gonna make sure that's the case, but there could there's a there's another award that was just announced today that he that he won and this is the AP so whoever votes for the league, which again I think that's some media and the coaches that was that was what that's the group that decided Pat Kelsey was ACC Coach of the Year yesterday and then today the Associated Press ACC Coach of the Year award went to Pat Kelsey. As you likely can assume, that's voted on by those who you know have a vote with the AP the Associated Press. Chucky also was named to the first team Cooper flag Raynod from Stanford, Marcus Burden Notre Dame, and Chase Hunter of Clemson. So I don't know if that's a different first team than what we got yesterday, but given what happened shortly after we learned that Pat Kelsey was acc Coach of the Year, voted on by the league's media and by the league's coaches, we learned that Duke was having a really tough time with it. And I'm not really, like, I don't find this to be like amusing and funny. I'm just really and I can't say that I'm bothered by it, because like it doesn't it's not like I'm angry, But the way Duke has decided to play victim and act as if John Shier got screwed, it's just unusual. I can't I mean, I can't really think of any similar situation where you know, clearly there's like a pr effort here where they're putting together graphics and you know they're having their team work on stuff to basically be a little cry baby bitch about John Shire not winning ACC Coach of the Year. It's one thing to be bothered by it, but like whoever made it a good look to be a little to be a jealous little bitch. I mean, that's that's I mean, part of my language. But like I just I don't understand. I mean, clearly, if you're a competitive person you don't won an award, you're probably gonna, you know, wish that you had. But so many people, even if you are bothered by it, just understand, Yeah, what good do I have or what potential you know, what's the potential chances of this being a good thing for me to where it's a beneficial thing for me to publicly be a baby about it and whin and cry like it just it's it's odd, very odd. So anyways, we'll get into that in just a moment. But again both now have decided Pat Kelsey's ACC Coach of the Year. And again I still believe that that the competition for Pat Kelsey when it comes to Coach of the Year is gonna be Bruce Pearl or Rick Patino. That's who I believe. I guess you could give it to Kelvin Samson. I mean, I guess you could.
Speaker 4: And I don't.
Speaker 5: Look there's different Coach of the Year awards. I think there's an AP one. And you would think that if the AP voted Pat Kelsey ACC Coach of the Year, the AP is not going to vote John Shire because you know he would have won the ACC given it that he's in the same conference.
Speaker 4: So Pat Kelsey may win it.
Speaker 5: And you know, any accolade is awesome for this program because we haven't had those in a while and now we're just getting showered with them.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's I mean, I want these guys to win every award possible, to get every honor possible, just because that's how much I love this group and I feel like they're deserving of all of it. I mean, I don't think Chucky's gonna get National Player of the Year or anything like that. I mean, I was a little bit, you know, well, I did at least throw it out there when I was campaigning for both Rain Smith and Javon Hatley to be also on the All ACC teams. I mean, I don't think I was making I wasn't making up numbers, but I just I knew it was gonna be really tough for them to get it. But you know, anytime there's a Coach of the Year award or really an All American type honor like Chucky and Pat are are gonna be probably on it. And that's you know, that's the way it should be. So real quick, before we get into the Duke social media account yesterday, which I'm sure you've seen this ben out right, Austin. Yes, Okay, so we'll get into that in just a second, but real quick, just just to kind of we've talked how much Chucky Hepburn has become a fan favorite. He's an all timer. Everybody cried when he kissed the floor on Saturday. So it's not like people are unaware that, like this guy in the one and only year we're gonna get him, He's been amazing. Couldn't have been better, what a story, best year of his career. I mean, it's you know, so I don't know why I feel the need to like, hey, everybody, wake up, are you paying attention?
Speaker 4: We got a really special player. Don't take it for granted. That's I just I don't know.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's just because I'm wanting to savor every single moment we have with Chucky and every chance we get to watch him play, which really isn't that many chances moving forward because we only had one season. So you know this, this really isn't that big of a surprise when you think about it, but when you when you look at the Yeah, so right now this is the group that Chucky hit Chucky Hepburn has joined because yesterday he was named the field of sixty eight first team All American and he'll probably be you know, first or second team All American, you know, by at least one other. I mean, there's a lot of different All American honors out there, and even if he doesn't, I never I've never thought of honor as the one of you know, one of those words we could we could get lost in Austin and be and be you know, childish about But yesterday when I started talking about honor, All American, Honor, Coach of the Year, honor, that point I just I think you, I think you infiltrated my brain.
Speaker 4: And now now I'm I can't.
Speaker 5: Get out of the gutter but gutter see it every time, but to do it every time, I don't want to do it.
Speaker 2: But it's a it's a family friendly show.
Speaker 5: It's addicting, right, what, Yeah, just I can't stop. I've got, I got, I got. It's like I've got turets or something.
Speaker 2: But anyways, well that's the fault of these these these words having an er at the end of them. Yes, not ours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's in it. And it's our brains too.
Speaker 5: I don't know what. I don't know who we blame for. But do we blame for that? I guess our parents. I don't know, but the world I would I wouldn't want it any other way, but anyway, blame the internet. Chucky Hepburn is now among these players when it comes to being Louisville basketball players that have been named to a five man All American First Team. So Russ Smid did it. Russ is clearly one of the best that's ever played here in twenty fourteen. Terrence Williams did it in two thousand and nine, Clifford Rozier did it in ninety four, Purvis did it in eighty nine, griff did it in seventy nine and eighty. So now Chucky Hepburn is in that group. So just think about that. I mean, this is this. I mean again, I don't I didn't need this first Team All American Award for Chucky to know like how good we've got it. But just seeing things like that, I guess really does kind of put it in perspective to where we won't forget because when we go back and look at all the guys who've had that on or there aren't there aren't that many. So what a fun ride, And let's buggle up because starting next week it's it's it's winner go home, and you know, there's there's some real excitement there, right. The adrenaline's gonna be pumping. I'm gonna be nervous. I don't care what we get as far as a draw, who the seed is. I mean, look, Louisville, it's not gonna get enough set to where we're going to walk in and take on, you know, cupcakes, because I mean that's just not realistic, which, by the way, I'm trying not to be that guy. But I mean I think the conference tournaments and get you know, given how loaded some of these leagues are, and I don't necessarily mean I mean, look all the other leagues outside all the power, well, the Big East is not, but the Big Twelve to an extent, certainly the Big Ten and absolutely the SEC. What these conference tournaments do is they give teams opportunities to not only you know, do enough to get in, but also substantially boost their resume. Because if you're playing in a good league like the SEC or the Big Ten, you could make it to the Semis and add two really good quality wins that are gonna bump your resume. So there's a higher ceiling for these teams in the SEC, the Big Ten, in the Big Twelve, whereas in the ACC you have very little room to grow your resume.
Speaker 4: You can only hurt it.
Speaker 5: Another good thing for Louisville is there's only one game. I mean, if they lose on Thursday, that would be a tough loss, but like that really wouldn't change a ton for them. But if they win to Thursday lose Friday, like I mean, they're probably staying kind of like where they are now. But anyway, all I'm getting at is that Louisville, no matter who they play, it's not going to be an opponent. You can just assume you can have an off nine and still win because you're looking at I mean seven and ten, I mean, that could be a competitive game and what I fear is that if you don't go and win two games in the ACC Tournament, then you're gonna kind of just be slotted into this certain area and there could be other teams that do enough to get ahead of you. So I saw two different bracketology updates today, and who knows, maybe they're wrong, but they've got Louisville as an eight seed, and I can't really you know, I can't really dispute that, like Louisville is gonna be very similar with a lot of teams that again are flirting with that seven eight nine, maybe six seven, six seven eight.
Speaker 4: Really six seven eight is what I should have said, six seven eight.
Speaker 5: So it's really just gonna come down to the committee, right, They're gonna look at all these different numbers, all these different analytics, Quad one, quad two, all that stuff, drink the schedule, and they're just gonna be able to determine I guess what they who they feel is best deserving because all those numbers, I mean, you're, you know, collectively, each team's profile sheet is essentially gonna be the same to where you just got to, you know, you got to you got to make a judgment call more so than looking at analytics or records. I mean, Lowill is going to have a better record than a lot of teams that are on the six and seven line. But Louisville doesn't have a lot of quality wins, So you know, those other teams could have double or triple the amount of wins against teams that are in the field, and louisll can't control that. I mean, they went twenty five and six, right, I mean, they could have controlled it as far as beating some of those teams early on, but you know, there were some really good teams, and of course things were different at that time. So you know, I really just think this could be a selection Sunday where more than for the first time in a long time, it's not going to be as much about number.
Speaker 4: It's just going to be Okay.
Speaker 5: Does the committee do they choose to look at Louisville and say, look, they don't have really any bad losses outside of one that really isn't that bad, and they won twenty five games in their league, and they didn't slip up when they easily could have. And you know, I mean in their in their Ken Palm, and their net ranking is in the top twenty three, so we're gonna reward them. We definitely think there are a six or are they going to say Louisville. Louisville had a great season, but here are two teams with worth with maybe substantially worse records, and they've got double or triple the amount of wins against teams that you know made the field. So like it's more often than not, I would assume it's a good mixture of a lot of things when it comes to how they see these teams, right, I test conversation amongst the amongst the amongst the committee, looking at numbers, that kind of stuff. But I just think it's just going to depend on how you want to view Louisville. And as much as people kill me the well, who can you know? It can't you can't just base it off of the number.
Speaker 4: The number.
Speaker 5: Well, when people say that, it's like they're telling me that I'm putting too much into the formula. And you know, I'm not telling you it's the end all be all. But Louisville specific should hope that they very much more so emphasize the formula than anything else, because again, this is not a this is not an insult. It's not a complaint, it's just an observation and it's just the truth. The best thing on Louisville's resume when you look at their team sheet, right like strength to schedule, quad one, quad two, overall record, you know, ken palm, all that stuff, the best thing that you know, the one if you can only pick the one thing that's the most valuable that looks the best on there, it's going to be where you ended up in the net. And if they didn't use that quite as much, and they didn't, you know, put Louisville as a you know, if they if they ended up just more so basing it off of not where you rank in their formula, but the amount of good wins you have with value that kind of stuff, then they could easily I could see them going from a six to an eight. So really, you know, I'm sure it's.
Speaker 4: Not that unusual.
Speaker 5: But I just think there's different ways you can view Louisville's resume, and I don't think anybody can view it as a bad resume. But you know, do they get the benefit of the doubt being twenty five and six in a power league even though it's down and there's not any terrible losses, and they did beat up on a lot of the bad teams they played this year, which is all you can do when they're on the schedule. So as much as I obsess over it, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I think it really is. It's it's anybody's guest between anywhere between like a five and an eight. And look, a lot can change from now until Sunday, because again, we've got conference tournaments going on. But as I mentioned a moment ago, these other leagues have a lot of potential shakeup that could take place, meeting teams that are on the bubble, getting all the way of the championship game of their league and maybe getting in or a bit or a bit stealer. I mean, that could happen too, But there's not a whole like there's nobody in the ACC tournament outside of maybe Carolina that could potentially get in without winning the league. You know what that tells you more than anything like that. That may sound like a weird random fact I just threw at you, but think about that. There's not enough there's not enough value in the league for teams to get enough wins like You've got three teams flirting with the bubble right now, Carolina SMU and is there one more Wake Forest I think is still a bubble team. Like those are teams that they can't even look at the they got it. They can't go to the conference tournament and improve their resume enough to get in. They gotta win the whole thing because everybody stinks and there's no value it. It pains me that we're in this position. But anyways, all right, let's get to a quick break again. If you guys want to join us on the show today, your best bets to hit us up on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union Texa line five oh two four three eight ninety seventy three again five oh two four three eight ninety seventy three. But we've got the phone lines open as well if you want to give us a call five oh two, five to seven one seventy nine hundred. Nick Coffee, Austin, Montgomery. We're We're with you until six, So hang out. Let's have some fun today.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 5: That's right, it's Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee, Austin Montgomery, the travel Chief, that's what we call him. And let's go to the text line Fabo two four three eight ninety seventy three. I knew it, but the hesitation there was because I almost said that the old number, which is just it's going to be the challenging part because there is a seven ninety still in it.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's it's gonna be challenging.
Speaker 4: Bybot fabout two four three eight ninety seventy three.
Speaker 2: Baby, have you been doing it like not looking at it, like getting in your reps that way, or have you been still trying to look.
Speaker 5: At What I've actually been doing is just like I walk up to like random strangers and be like, hey you need a number? Yeah, two four three, eight ninety seventy three, hit us up. Not a bad exercise, you know, anything to grow the show, right, Yeah, So two people have mentioned this in the text line the last two days, and I'm I should have told you this off the air. The podcast volume has been crazy low. Are my levels low on the recording? Like lower than like like when you see it because you see it coming in, right, yes, does it look low.
Speaker 2: I guess we could call call that low.
Speaker 4: But boost it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can boost it up.
Speaker 5: Boost it up now or either boost it up like when you get done recording it, because either way it's doing.
Speaker 2: I mean I could, I could, I could do that too.
Speaker 5: So here's whatever whatever you think makes the most sense as far as just making a little bit louder.
Speaker 4: And I don't think it's it's not too low. But here's the issue.
Speaker 5: And this makes sense. But somebody who said, who wrote about it yesterday, said that the volume is fine, but when the commercials play, which you're auto generated, oh yeah, just they're way yeah, they're way louder. So if you're listening like with headphones on. And unfortunately this is this is not our fault by any means. And I know I'm not somebody that if I did want to raise hell about it, anything would happen. But people that have a lot more power, a lot more or swinging something a lot bigger than I am when it comes to, uh, you know, the weight that they have within the company. They've complained about the podcast issues and it's not getting fixed. So I don't know how they fix it. But yes, you will randomly get an AD in the middle of the content, which is annoying. I'm sure, yes, but also you know, it picks.
Speaker 4: Right back up.
Speaker 5: But that's where like if it was just during the breaks whenever I'm sending it to break on the on the podcast and you you know, you hear me exit for a commercial, then you would at least have the awareness of, like, prepare for it. Yeah, let me turn it down. But if you if you don't, and then it's just boom. Yeah, So yeah, I'll look into that. Try try to turning yourself up right now, let me see what comes through so that. But I don't want to I don't want to come into hot on. I guess that's okay, right, yeah, I just I just never want to sound like I'm eating the microphone because you know, but I feel like if I you know, if it's in the red, that's not like danger zone. I guess you just don't want to go past that, right, Yes, it's not peaking. No, okay, we're good, good to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what what I'm seeing on my board that's going on over air right now? It's not and my voice is barely getting to red, but yours will yours will kind of touch than me.
Speaker 4: Brother.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah, that's what I'm saying. So well, we'll kind of touch the red here and there. But I was always trained that that's not the worst thing either, So.
Speaker 5: That makes sense because it's probably it probably sounds more full, which you know, it's honestly, it's probably even if the level, like even if we turned it up.
Speaker 4: In post, as they say post production.
Speaker 5: He liked that even if we turned it up in post, if you know, if I'm still flat, because I could even tell just by now listening to myself and my headphones that like, because I've turned it up a little bit, it just sounds a little bit more, a little more full. That makes sense, a little more. I got a little more girth to me, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It's right, It's right, baby.
Speaker 2: But I look at it like when I come in here, obviously the person comes in here before me, The great legendary Shannon the dude, He's death, we joked out his hearing. He has everything all the way up.
Speaker 4: Oh at all times.
Speaker 5: I think he just walks around to other studios and just make sure it makes sure every level is up as high as going to be it's it's him and him and Vnetti. But I think Vannetti he's now doing earbuds like I do. I think at least he was. Yeah, he still does it, and I think it's because you know, you can have them lower in it, and you you know, it's it's more so directly in your ear other than than the big cans, right, big cans. I've always liked the big cans on my head. Yeah, big fan of the big cans myself, and being honest with you, all right, so uh, let's talk about Duke being little babies, because I mean the reason I say this is unusual is because if fans, you know, they were upset about it, even like media folks who don't necessarily have like an allegiance to do like anybody else doing it, you could still say, oh, come on, like quit being a cry baby, or you know, you really don't understand what this award is because you know, Pat Kelsey literally like because it really just comes down to this. And I'm gonna read from the text line here because Captain Kirk mentioned this earlier on the text line and he's right. Apparently Jim Bayham's doing the game right now Pittsburgh and Notre Dame, and he texted in Kirk did and said, hey, Nick, just heard Jim Bayhams say that Pat Kelsey deserved Coach of the Year hands down because he took a team at rock bottom with no players returning to a number two seed in the Aency tournament. That's a testament in itself. So that when I read that, when I'm thinking, you know what, first of all, thanks Kirk for letting us know that.
Speaker 4: Also shout out Kirk.
Speaker 5: Jim Beheim like is right, and you know, the whole balancing of Okay, did he do a good job coaching but it was an overachiever thing or was it a little bit of both, or was it a coach that really just you know, had a great year, had a great team, and really there wasn't anybody that did stand out as having good results that not a lot of others would have been able to get with their coaching. Like there's you know, it's it's a tricky award in that way. And really, the more I think about it, a lot of awards are like Lamar Jackson not winning the MVP this year. I get it, I think he should have, but like I know that it's gonna be tough for him to keep giving it to him, even though he had a better year this year, Like he said, the bar so high, he's gonna have to keep eclipsing it. Like the fact that Michael Jordan and Lebron James don't have more MVPs themselves tells you what the award is. There's been what nearly every year, both those guys have played in the NBA their entire life. They were the most valuable players in the league. And it wasn't close. But again, they don't win it every year because that's just not that's just not how that that award's given out. The Heisman will never be given to somebody two times anymore anymore.
Speaker 4: I don't know has that ever happened. I don't know. Maybe it has, like way back in like the like Archie Griffin or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like back in like the you know, the the initial days.
Speaker 4: Of the award, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So boys were here, Arthur and they all.
Speaker 5: Smoked cigarettes on the sideline, yeah, and drank beard halftime. So look, you know, I don't want to make it a bigger thing than like it.
Speaker 4: Needs to be.
Speaker 5: But what made the whole Duke clearly not being Again, I'm trying to figure out what to start here because Duke's official team accounts. So those who have social media, and even if you don't and you're not active on it, you know that every every program has an official Facebook, Instagram, Twitter for their where they share like, you know, updates on their team like and it's a huge it's actually a huge new space within you know, sports media now like there's now departments that didn't exist when I got into media that you know, there's a full team of guys who are there, you know, churning out content and ideas as far as how they can, you know, just use social media to continue to connect and grow with their fans.
Speaker 4: So those like the official the official.
Speaker 5: Accounts, like you assume it's run by like the SID and you know, they now have a layer of like personality to them where you know they'll they'll they'll have like a clever line when they post a highlight or and this is just be kind of become this has kind of become the stand thing to do when you lose, just post final and then the score yeah, like it's just it's almost like that's no and I mean that's that's routine like that. Yeah, that's like what you're supposed to do, Like that's that's the one way to like all right, I'm sure we're still gonna get crushed by the toxic world that is Twitter. But you know, all we did was say, you know, game over like that, that kind of thing, just exactly exactly. Couldn't have said it better. So those accounts, like they represent the program overall, meaning a lot of places. I know it used to be this way around here, and I'm sure it is now to an extent. You know who represents Louisville basketball from top to bottom, Pack Kelsey. It's his program. He's the face of it. He's the leader. So it wouldn't even shock me if he wants to have not full say so, but have some awareness of like what's coming across on your social media pages. Because even though people know it's not Pack creating the graphics or putting certain things out there, it's an extension of him. So usually those things are really vanilla, really safe. There's never like a opinion shared. It's just really a pr marketing kind of thing, and you can really grow if you occasionally, you know, have a decent funny line in there or something like that. So to see the Duke Twitter account again that represents their program. Have a full wet diaper that needs to be changed over Pat Kelsey winning Coach of the Year. It's just odd behavior, like I don't think we've ever seen anything like it. It's not a criminal offense. It's I mean, clearly you know, because this is what this is what this is, what is, this is what has been weird to me. And I'll read for you this is what was tweeted out yesterday after it was clear that Pat Kelsey won it. And by the way, for you those just now joining us, Pat has won his second ACC Coach of the Year award list or award honor. This one is from the AP media. So the Associated Press today named Pat Kelsey ACC coach. There yesterday it was the coaches in the media within the league that named it. So both have gone to Pat Kelsey and I don't think anybody should be really shocked by but you know who is and who's bothered as Duke, which again that's not a crazy thing in theory, you want your coach to get good honors, but I just can't think that you would you would feel like it's a risk worth taking, right because again these this is for pr like this is for pr in in marketing that kind of stuff. I can't I can't imagine Shire would be okay with them doing this on his behalf, even if it's not on his behalf, Like I feel like he would have to sign off on it. And now I'm getting real, Like you know, I'm getting this. I want I don't want to act like it's that serious of a thing. But like if if John Shire is somebody who like not only is okay with them posting this stuff making him look like he's a victim here or maybe even like he's the one telling him to do it, then like that to me says a lot about how he's wired.
Speaker 4: Like he's kind of weird.
Speaker 5: He's the dukiest of all the duke dudes, right like he's I mean, he's the cornball goober.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean they're the ones that's tagging him on these posts.
Speaker 5: Yes, again, so with j doesn't it seem as if like there's no maybe he didn't lead it, but he certainly is embracing it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it still looked like posts that like you would be blogging about under like in a fan page. Yeah, not like the official like Programs basketball team having rage bait basically is what it's called, like.
Speaker 4: You, And it wasn't just the graphic they posted. Here's the tweets what it said.
Speaker 5: Haven't seen a coach Snubb for ACC Coach of the Year like this since coach k didn't win it once over his final twenty two seasons, which included three national titles, ten ACC Attorney titles, five ACC regular season titles in eleven thirty win seasons. And then shout out to John Shire tagged him, and then they mentioned the nineteen one record, the ten ACC wins by twenty five or more most of all time, and again like for a fan to say that, for someone like you know me and what we do here to say that about Louisville, right, that's normal again And I know in a way, I'm like, I don't want to sound like I'm a hypocrite, because I'm sure some people are listening, Like have you heard yourself? You think it's out of line for a for a Twitter account to defend their coach and say that he should have won it. You got to hear me out these these official accounts that are run by the program. I mean it might as well be a press release from the from the program. And again for them to feel that way is not crazy. They want like, wouldn't shock me if I if you if you overheard a Duke assistant coach and a Duke fan or a Duke player talking about the award, they would gass up their guy shier and probably try to discredit pack Kelsey in some way.
Speaker 4: That's normal behavior.
Speaker 2: If it was like the Duke's Nick coffee, if it was Duke coffee. Yeah, on whatever Blue Devil Connecting Company radio they're doing, it would make sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, And and you know I would understand, and I would you know, I get because if Kelsey didn't win it, I might be not here today. I might have I might have found a way to get to the headquarters of the league and hold somebody account. Oh there was gonna be some talking. So again like I'm not some like I don't represent anybody by myself. But I just mean, like it's for those who don't really get what these social media accounts are for programs, then I think it's probably like Okay, I don't get to get what the big deal is and Honestly, if that's your position and that's how you see it, I totally understand. But it's just, you know, if you know, you know, this is so rare or really and it's really never been never, never been seen before because again, you know, like they this was prepared if he didn't win for them to put it out there. It wasn't something that they just had a lot of time to create like they I mean, and not to say that like Shire shouldn't care about winning acc Coach of the Year, but to me, going back to what Beheim said earlier in this in this Pit Notre Dame game, there's no doubt that when you look at what both guys did in the regular season, it certainly feels like Pat Kelsey's role in it was more of a factor in Louisville having the success than they had than John Shier having the success that he had. Doesn't mean he didn't do a good job, doesn't mean he's not a good coach, but that's a result that a lot of people would have expected with Pat Kelsey, maybe more so than than we realiz. It's actually not just about him. It's about having superstar players. And look, these guys do deserve credit, but anybody looking at the turnaround for Louisville and getting the results that Louisville has had this year in the regular season now that it's over, and knowing that they lost two guys to injury early on, I mean, I actually think, again, this is real rich of me to say again, and I know I sound like the ultimate homer here, but I don't feel like you'll find many examples better of what is deserving of this award because it doesn't always go to somebody who just coached the best team. It just doesn't. And Duke pointed that out in their tweet, you know what I mean, Like they pointed it out as if it was you know. So it just makes them look very, very insecure and thin skinned and cannot read the room, because first of all, to do it in general, it's just weird behavior, but also I mean the I'm not really mad tone because this is what it says. Haven't seen a snub like this since coach k didn't win it once over his twenty two years, and they mentioned all of.
Speaker 4: His accolades, so it's like a desperation.
Speaker 5: I'm not really mad because we never get it because look at what coach k did and he didn't get it.
Speaker 4: But no, bye bye.
Speaker 5: By the absolute process that you went through, you're clearly really mad buttthole hurt because there's a lot of effort that you just.
Speaker 4: Don't see from like the you should be gearing up for like Cooper Flag Player of the Year.
Speaker 5: You know, pr campaigns. You should be, you know, realizing that you were going to have the most watched team in the tournament this year because you've got Cooper Flag. And yet like they're they're like, you know again, it's not, it's not. It's also it's actually normal to have to to feel that way, but to use your official teams social media accounts to to be this bothered by it. It's just weird and really lame. And the more I think about it, and the more we've just talked through it, there have a hard time thinking Shires not all in on it, which part of me says, Okay, maybe this is a guy that really isn't afraid to just be But no, that's not that pet a door like, he's not somebody that's gonna be like I'll be I'll go against the grain, show, I'll show more than any other coach out here, I'm gonna be one of the boys, like, no, he's that's not him at all. I just think they don't have any realization that they look really even like I mean, collectively, they're getting clown nuts by Louisville fans And it's another sign and thank you to somebody on the text line I just said this. It's like one of the weird signs that we're back, right, you know.
Speaker 2: We we're talking about other stations or other social media accounts, the teams.
Speaker 5: And clearly Duke's Duke's bothered and upset by Louisville winning something. If that's not a sign that we're heading back, then you know.
Speaker 2: If threatened a little bit exactly.
Speaker 5: But I love it, by the way, I'm not I'm not I'm not confident if Louisville played Duke, if they'd win right now, but on me either, But I do love that, like everybody on you know, again, it's just the internet.
Speaker 4: You can find whatever you want there.
Speaker 5: But like, oh yeah, we'll see a Friday or when it is Saturday, like people acting like okay, we'll basically Louisville fans telling Duke fans we'll settle it on Saturday. That's that's the vibe we have right now. I don't think we'd win, but I love that the fans are like, come on, we'll play you.
Speaker 4: We'd scared, We scared? All right? Quick break?
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day, I.
Speaker 5: Swear during the break, I just felt like I had somebody else's wallet that was not mine. This one has no money, which mine never has money either. But I had to take a picture of my driver's license and send it to my wife. She's she's doing the tax stuff today. So oh, Uncle Sam's greedy ass is getting his cut. I mean, he's he wants it all.
Speaker 4: He's greedy as can be.
Speaker 2: That's right his hand out.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 5: So she needed a picture of my license. And I haven't looked at my driver's license in a long time, even whenever I've occasionally been asked to provide it when I order a drink or I can't even the last time I had to give it to somebody. But anyways, my face is humongous, like I have the fattest face. I thought it wasn't me. And I go back to when this was taken and it was before I was working with the folks at the Little Women's Clinic. I mean, my overall weight hasn't changed a whole light has. I mean, I've lost weight since I first started doing the testosterone treatment, But really that was just more of a that helped me get more out of like working out to where it wasn't like I really changed a whole lot. The benefit was that my testosterone levels were where they needed to be and I was seeing more results in the gym. But you know, just excess pudge.
Speaker 2: It was everywhere. I mean, I you know I was, you were thick, Yeah, I was.
Speaker 5: I was a little thick, thicky, thick, thick with with you know, the man boobs and just puffy and you know it's because my testosterone was low. And man, I actually need to go get my license renewed because myexpires this summer and I'm looking forward to getting a new picture and.
Speaker 2: Getting a real ID or just the basic one.
Speaker 4: What do I have to get? Like whatever's easiest.
Speaker 2: I don't I mean, probably just the regular basic one. But they just keep saying that you're gonna need that if you you know, if you want to do any excursions, you want to go like overseas or be able to fly. That's what they're saying, Like that's you're gonna need to forever. They have, and they've been pushing it back because I think it came out like right before COVID, and it just kept pushing back.
Speaker 5: Why do we need anything different than the same standard identification we've had for generations.
Speaker 2: That's I think that's everybody's argument right now.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just I don't. I don't get it because.
Speaker 2: I'm still hanging on for dear life with my just regular Kentuck Kentucky State driver's license. I've been purposely putting it off, the real idea and every time I go or because I've lost my ID, I'm very irresponsible and every scary thing very much. And then I might have kids here in a few years. But like anytime I've ever went to the DMV to go get it, you can pay for the ID, or it can pay like an extra ten or like fifteen dollars I think it is to get the real ID. I've just always opted to take the cheaper route until I necessarily have to.
Speaker 5: I'll probably do whatever I need you to get the real ID, unless it's like a big expense just because I don't want to be like Sol because I'm gonna go get it done. I don't want to have to go back again if then I need the real, you know, the real id. Wow, did you see the ending of this Pittsburgh Notre Dame game?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: No, no?
Speaker 2: Oh man, no boy.
Speaker 5: An insanely terrible late call almost after the game ended. Unless we missed it, but Pittsburgh got called for a I mean, it was a terrible call and that gave Notre Dame down one. Two free throws they made both, and uh no, I'm sorry it was tied, so they tied.
Speaker 4: They shot that.
Speaker 5: That was a terrible call. Caple a minute's over. Now, Cable's season's over, and I guess he's getting another year. But like, take a fine, brother, that was a terrible, terrible way to end this game.
Speaker 4: It was tied.
Speaker 5: Notre Dame threw up a prayer, did not get touched. They called a foul like after he missed the shot, seemingly. I mean, I'm receding like this. I hate to get so distracted. We got to get a break, but I mean, I've this unbelievable. I'm kind of I'm literally in shock that they called that. So Notre Dame made a free throw, Pittsburgh had a chance with like no time left and didn't do it. So yeah, Pittsburgh season's over, and man, that was crazy. All right, we got to get to a break two hours left. Stick around right here, it's coffee and company. Feel about Thorton's on Sports Talk seven ninety