Speaker 1: This is the other side of midnight.
Speaker 2: They're running a strange program, y'all.
Speaker 1: With Walter Sterling.
Speaker 3: Come in, listen to my story about a man named Walter Rady, old genius who would seldom falter, and then one day he was hanging around the STA when his bosses decided to unleash.
Speaker 4: Him on the Nation Corporate you know Brooks brother Suits, club ties.
Speaker 3: Next thing you know, young Walters Peep.
Speaker 4: They gave him an office in New York City, but things didn't turn out exactly quiet. Right now he's back on the other side of midnights weird Callers, Flying Saucers.
Speaker 1: Florida's story.
Speaker 2: So do you think sex is important to men in a marriage? Yes? Okay? What do women want out of a marriage?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Instability?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 2: And would would you say that you get that through long term commitment?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 7: So what if I told you one in four marriages were sexless one in four?
Speaker 2: I believe, so do you? Who is it harder for?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 7: If we're getting the commitment from him but they're not getting the sex from us.
Speaker 8: Wow, there is a reason some husbands take longer bringing the trash cans back, and it has very.
Speaker 2: Little to do with trash.
Speaker 8: He rolls the bin outside, then stands there another minute, because for that moment, the house cannot ask anything from him. No argument happened, and nobody did anything wrong. And he may simply be taking sixty quiet seconds before walking back into responsibility. So the man standing beside a trash can may not be avoiding home. He may just be borrowing one minute of silence.
Speaker 9: And that's all we get. That's the negotiation. Man takes out the garbage, stands at the curb, stares across the street, wondering what's going on in that house over there? Why aren't there lights on? Thanks for forty five seconds, comes back into the house, and what is he asked?
Speaker 6: What is?
Speaker 9: He asked? Why did it take you so long to take out the trash? What were you doing out there? What was going on out there? Now he had stolen forty five seconds to get peace and quiet from the shrapnel of marriage, the shrapnel the suffering that married men go through, which is a progressive disease. It's a progressive disease because the longer of man is married in almost ninety percent of the situations, the criticism increases over time. It's a slow drip if marriage started the way it is at ten years, fifteen years, it wouldn't go past a year. But slowly, slowly, the wife asks more annoying questions, asks more, has more suggestions about how things are done. Why is that there? Consider this if when your wife starts the day, what she should be saying is good morning, how's everything going? Did you sleep well? What fun thing are we going to do today? That's how it should start, But instead it starts with oho, put this here. She comes downstairs, she looks at the room, she comes out of her bedroom, she looks at the dining room, the TV room, and she goes, who put this here? Why is this here?
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 9: How you doing? What fun thing we're going to do today? She starts to have a list of starting with suggestions and then going downhill from there, and then it goes to why is this a mess? Who's going to clean this up? It's all tactical, utilitarian demands, endless demands, and you don't even realize it. A husband, the kids, they don't even realize it at first, but slowly it grows and it grows. But then if you catch it and you say to her, listen, you realize it'd be good. If you've started the day by saying, good morning, how's everything going, that would be a much better way. Why are you talking about I always do that. It would never it would never stop. It's the same reason when I'm in a supermarket, I'm in a mall. Yes, I do go to malls, and I'll see a married couple walking through the aisles. And every time I pass a married couple walking through the aisles, I always whisper to the husband. I always say to him, always shop alone, and then I keep going. The guy hears it and he starts laughing. Every time I can make a guy laugh by going always shop alone, and he starts laughing. She goes, what did he say? What did he say? And he goes, nothing, He didn't say anything. He wasn't talking to me. But there it is. There it is. You're crazy if you're if you're married or you're living together and you go food shopping alone, you're nuts because it's an endless debate leading to an endless argument and endless resentments. One of the many good things about my marriage is my wife has no interest in going food shopping. I don't think I've ever seen her shop for food or prepare food. I don't think either of those things have happened. A part of that is self defense. I don't want her to prepare food. She's irish. There's no upside for me in her preparing food, but no fun to go to the supermarket with her. Then what I'll do is I'll risk my life and I'll take the fourteen year old. And what do fourteen year olds want? They want everything, especially if it's strange colors and heavily sugared. They want everything. They want the lucky charms, they want, the uh A cocoa paffas, all the terrible cereals. That's what they want. And then you have an endless fight with the fourteen year old about what we're gonna get. The pop tarts, many different flavors of pop tarts that they will never eat. There's the big challenge. You're going with a teenager to the supermarket. Huge challenge. But what happens in a marriage or a long term relationship is the default pleasantries I think start to disappear. They start to go away. And when I hear people who are getting a divorce, what do I hear when I talk to them about why are you getting a divorce. Why are you doing this? I thought you guys got a long rate. Well, the quote institution of marriage is a failure in our culture because half of the people get married and they get a divorce. Oh that's a bad percentage, that's a failure. You know which country has the lowest percent of divorces, the lowest percent India, only like five percent of marriages in India and in divorce. And that wonderful Indian comic, that woman whose name I can never get right, Zara, I never get it right. She says, we have a perfect marriage. We get along great because we don't communicate. We never communicate, we never talk to each other for any reason, and therefore our marriage is going great. We have nothing to argue about because we don't communicate at all. And I'm like, yes, that's the right way. And I think I have a good marriage because I'm not part of it. I have no involvement with my marriage. My marriage is a separate issue. Whatever she wants to do, that's just fine. She discusses her issues with her. My sister in law controls the marriage. I think your sister in law controls the marriage as well. In fact, I think it's safe to say that everybody's marriage is controlled by their sister in law. If your sister in law buys a piece of furniture, you will find that in your house six months later. I saw this at my sister's I really thought i'd buy one for us. Did you want to talk to me about that?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 9: No, I knew you'd like it. It's astonishing the number of things that I'm told I'm going to like long before it actually happens. But I believe that the reason that half the marriage is in America fail. It doesn't work. The institution doesn't work the way it is. I feel there are two big reasons. See what you think. Number One, people get married before they're ready. And there's a trick, which is that at some point you start you start to embrace the notion that there's the right age for you to get married. There is no right age. There are people who get married at eighteen and they stay married till they're seventy and it works. There are other people who don't get married till they're sixty and they divorced in a year because they weren't ready. I believe that each of us has a marriage clock and that marriage clock. If a person gets married before that marriage clock goes off, it won't work. Doesn't matter who it is, doesn't matter who they're marrying, it won't work. And then if they get married after the marriage clock goes off, it almost doesn't matter who they're married, it'll be fine. It'll work out because they were ready. But I think most people get married before they're ready, and therefore half the marriages fail.
Speaker 6: But then so I have decided to start the process of freezing my eggs.
Speaker 9: But if you talk to somebody who's about to get a divorce and you know that well enough, it's never that they stopped having sex. Sex is not the reason that marriages succeed or fail, Nor is it the reason that guy's cheat. Don't cheat for sex. Guys cheat for softness. Guys cheat for a soft landing. They cheat to be greeted during their day by a woman who answers them softly and sweetly and gently and respects, respects the decisions they made, respects the choices they made at work or at home, shows respect, absolute agreement on everything. No no, no, no no, But there are ways to say it that indicate everything's okay. I respect your decisions. I respect Why you did that?
Speaker 6: Got it?
Speaker 9: Partnership? Notice that usually the wife, well, we're partners, we're married, now, we have to be married, now, we have to be getting together. We have to make these decisions together, right, But she doesn't make decisions with the guy. That's the whole cycle, that's the whole challenge. What a guy wants in a marriage is softness. He wants to be greeted with kindness and softness. As strange as this may seem, let's see, Matt, would you play would you play sexless? And would you play hold on?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 9: Left out? Okay? Would you do that? Left out? Okay? And sexless? On the other side of midnight with Walter Sterling. It's about twenty past the hour, and you and I can talk at any time. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two you got So?
Speaker 2: Do you think sex is important to men in a marriage?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay? What do women want out of a marriage?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: Instability? Okay? And would would you say you get that through long term commitment?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 7: What if I told you one in four marriages were sexless?
Speaker 2: One and four? I believe so do you, who is it harder for that?
Speaker 7: If we're getting the commitment from him, but they're not getting the sex from.
Speaker 11: Us, you can't really hurt a man who's already comfortable being left out. He's fine if he's not invited, not included, or even forgotten. Once a man learns to enjoy his own company, stops needing validation from others, there's very little anyone can take from him. That's real strength, being at peace, even when you're standing alone.
Speaker 9: Eight hundred eight four eight nine two Walter Sterling The Other Side of Midnight.
Speaker 1: The Other side of Midnight with Walter Sterling. It's the other side of Midnight with Welter Sterling.
Speaker 3: Midnight.
Speaker 9: I never play your radio.
Speaker 1: Needlessly, just when you must, and then make.
Speaker 3: Sure you listen to a show you know you interest.
Speaker 4: Listen confidently to the other side of Midnight.
Speaker 9: One of the great mysteries of our time is how to have a successful marriage? Problem Challenge number one, how to have a successful marriage. If you're married, you're looking at marriage, how to have a success because most of them fail. It's astonishing that Americans invest an average of thirty nine thousand dollars for a wedding thirty nine thousand dollars for a wedding, ten thousand dollars for a honeymoon, to invest in something that will probably fail. Rob on Long Island, Welcome to the other side of midnight at eight hundred eighty four eight nine two to two. Greetings Rob, hey Walter, how are you doing okay? Buddy?
Speaker 10: I have a theory beause marriage, to me is like sports. And sports when you play against the same guy and it's the same team in your division, they is a saying it's familiarity breeds contempt. Now that's why the rangers in the island is kill each other. The more you know about the person you marry, the more you start hating them. And that might be a right theory with the Indian people's, you know, they don't really talk too much and it lasts.
Speaker 9: Again, what do you think, how long were you married?
Speaker 10: I was married for seventeen years.
Speaker 9: And why would you say it stopped?
Speaker 10: Oh? Well, I knew it was over when she used to say to me, I hope it rains tomorrow when you're about to play golf. Yeah, that's yeah, So that's you know, you don't have to say much more than that.
Speaker 9: No, no, because I didn't understand the appeal of golf until I got married.
Speaker 10: I play a lot of golf, but and at the time, I was only playing once a week and it was on Sundays. Now I'm sixty one years old, I'm happily divorced.
Speaker 9: How old are you?
Speaker 10: How old are you?
Speaker 9: You're our youngest listener. I want to congratulate you on being our youngest listener today.
Speaker 10: I'm on my way home from work.
Speaker 9: Hey, that's good to know. Can I ask what sort of work you do?
Speaker 10: I'm a limo driver for some of the big shots in New York City.
Speaker 9: And is it a steady list of clients or do you just who comes over the transom there?
Speaker 6: No, it's a.
Speaker 10: Steady list of some people like to go out late to live in Manhattan and Manhattan and.
Speaker 6: Hampton.
Speaker 9: Oh so it's it's the Hampton people coming back. Now, what what's the right tip? How many if somebody takes you from the Hampton's to Manhattan, what's the right tip?
Speaker 10: Well, I've gotten a couple of hundred, then I've gotten nothing, so, uh, you know, I mean, I get a steady pay for doing that, but it's a mixed bag. Yeah, you know the people who talk about being the richest that don't.
Speaker 6: Want to give you the least an that's right.
Speaker 9: Anybody who delivers newspapers knows that that's exactly true. That at Christmas time the rich houses would give you a buck and the people who were on food stamps would give you fifty. And it's exactly right. Rob, Hey appreciate it, and I thank you for listening to the Other Side of Midnight with Walter Stirling eight hundred eight four eight nine two to two two. You and I are sharing about why marriages fail. Fifty percent of the marriages in America fail. Only five percent of the marriage is in India fail. The reason in India that they don't fail they don't talk to each other. Part of their culture is a husband and wife. They really don't communicate. That seems like a very good plan to me. I have lived my marriage on a need to know basis. I really there isn't much that I need to know at any given time. You know, talk to your sister. Don't don't bother me with this. I only want to have I want to have information on a need to know basis. Doesn't that make sense? Isn't that the practical way to approach this. Eight hundred is my phone number eight four eight nine two two two. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. It's it's always been interesting to me to see the marriages at work and the ones that don't. And it's never I've never seen a pattern other than the fact it's never about sex. It's always about something else, something bigger, and often something that should have been discussed before you got married. Oh, you didn't know that that she didn't want kids. You didn't know he didn't want kids. Probably should have come up before. Probably should. And then they argue over money, which is particularly stupid because you know why, you know why it's stupid argue over money. It's just money. It's it's like, it's just money. Why would you argue over that. It's crazy talk marriage is failing eight hundred eight four eight nine two to two two. Then you know the most annoying group of people, and this could easily come up in a marriage. The most annoying group of people in the world are vegetarians. Vegetarians by default are annoying. Why because they think you should be a vegetarian. The guy who sells steaks never says you should eat more steak. The person who stays up really late never says, why don't you stay up later. The people who get up early, they're the ones who say you should, you should get up early, you should become a member of the five am club. Well, I'm a member of the five am club. That's at the end of my work day. Same thing with you. We're we're working at the right time because we're focused on the task and that's the job. The job is the job, not about filling out forms. But they, you know who they are, have done a big study about vegetarianism. What happens if you decide to be a vegetarian and what happens to your body, and this is terrifying. People who went vegan for four weeks saw shocking DNA changes linked to lower inflammation and slower aging compared to those who eat rich meat diets. Researchers wanted to see whether changing what people eat can quickly affect how their bodies work at the cellular level, finding that meatless eaters had biological markers linked to a less inflamed immune system. The vegan diet also appeared to reduce activity in genes involved in cancer related pathways and may help slow biological aging. The new findings show how quickly diet can affect the body cells and potentially impact long term health. Apparently, if I become a vegetarian within a week, everything will get dramatically better. And I don't know what that whole information thing. For twenty years now, I've read about this will be good for inflammation, this will be good for inflammation. I don't have any idea what that's about.
Speaker 6: Do you?
Speaker 9: I have no idea what that's about. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. But this study worries me because it gives vegetarians more ammunition. I don't want vegetarians to have any more ammunition. I don't want to hear any more about vegetarianism, because whenever I've done like a week or two is a vegetarian. The the problem with being a vegetarian is that I get very hungry and very grumpy. I need the browns, I need brown rice, bread, brown bread, pedas, all of that stuff. I need the carbs, and then I'm happy. But if I'm just eating lima beans, string beans, broccoli, or God help us, beats, there's no happiness there it never gets better, and I'm always then surrounded by oh, are you still a vegetarian? Are you still a vegetarian? You know what they're asking right now in Chicago, they're saying, what radio station is carrying the other side of midnight in Chicago?
Speaker 12: It's WG And I've got some sad news for you about Rod Stewart.
Speaker 2: And his farewell tour.
Speaker 12: Yeah, the eighty one year old rock legend has canceled the remaining dates on his One Last Time Farewell tour after doctors advised him to take about four weeks to recover after he just underwent a stint procedure.
Speaker 2: He had a core Yeah, a coronary stint.
Speaker 12: So the good news is he's already on the end and back to his daily activities. However, doctors that you can't go right back to the stage. Yeah, So he had already postponed his Sunday show in Cincinnati, canceled Tuesday night's concert in Cleveland, and the tour was supposed to continue through September third, with a six night residency in Vegas and several dates in Mexico. Rod Stewart says he's very much on the mend and he's disappointed to miss out on these final shows, so we wish him the best in a continued speedy recovery.
Speaker 13: I want to know what you find like interesting or hard to reckon with in terms of aging, or like, what's what's good about getting older? What's less good? And I don't just mean like, I don't just mean physically, but metaphysically too.
Speaker 9: There's nothing good about it.
Speaker 13: Nothing wisdom, No, nothing.
Speaker 14: You don't get wisdom. We forget everything, forgot oh my wisdom. I might have had a coble of pearls drop, but I think you got what they are. So no, it's not it's not particularly pleasant. And of course you can't do things as quickly as you want to and all actually and physically physically, you can't do things that you would like to do.
Speaker 9: You've got to be you have to be more careful.
Speaker 14: You can still do them, you have to be more careful when you do them. You know, when if you're playing goalie in the football team and you're okay, you're going goal, don't you put you in goal a lot? I'm not really very good at It's.
Speaker 9: A metaphor for aging being put in goal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the biggest all eggs in American radio.
Speaker 6: So I have decided to start the process of freezing my eggs.
Speaker 9: That's the process of aging. But the process for aging for a guy is the same and with the same challenges. And the challenge is that AOC complains that there's no insurance to protect her to protect her eggs. There's no insurance to protect her eggs, that she can't get them harvested for free, she can't store them for free, she can't color them at Easter for free. All of these things need to be covered by insurance, she says. I happen to agree with her. But at the same time, men are equally challenged in aging and in sex, which with ED. There's no insurance that will cover ed treatments, therapies, psychiatry, none. And yet over half the men in America not only have failing marriages, but they have ed. Which makes me think, if most men in America have ed and they have failing marriages, I don't really know why most men get up in the morning. And I suspect on a progressive level, most men are wondering the very same thing because one of the biggest lies, and I've been dazzled by this why more men don't say anything, and therefore, as a professional talk show host, I will say something. You and I do not live in a patriarchy. This is the biggest lie of our culture that men are in charge. No men get to do hard labor, take out the trash, answer the door, answer the bill collectors, go to court, get dragged in for ugliness, deal with relatives they do not want to talk to at all. Considering your relationship, if you, the wife, want your husband to go to an event with all of your relatives, does he have a choice. No, he's going to that event. He knows if he doesn't go to the event, he will hear about it for the next eighteen and a half years. But if he wants you to go to an event with his relatives, you're probably a little too busy that day. You're probably a little too I've seen this a million times with my in laws. I've seen it where the wife will say, Okay, we're going to go to this event. We have to go to Susan's birthday and you go, and then he goes, well, you know, my brother's having a birthday, it's his fortieth birthday. You want to go?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 9: No, I can't do that. Remember twenty eight years ago he said that thing to us. That's how it goes. But you and I do not live in a patriarchy. We live in a matriarchy. Women are in charge. And I never understood when I got into grown up land and I hear about protests and concerns about women need to be in charge, they need to have this job. And I'm looking around, Like when I grew up in Jersey, the moms were in charge. There was no dad in charge that in any household I was aware of at any time. Here's how it would go. If I went to their house and it was a fun time, like six in the evening, Mom would be on the phone with somebody. The kids would bring her their problems, not him. They'd bring her the problems because she had the solution they If the kids brought dad the problem, he could be overruled. Mom could say no, we're not doing that, that's not what we're going to do, and that would be the end of it. There'd be no more conversation. That would be the end of it, no more chat. If there was a big problem one of the kids that actually caused real trouble, the moms would gather around and clear up the situation. They'd get on the phones. They would talk to each other. Don't you know the rabbi, don't you know the priest or? One of them knew the most powerful person in the community, the produce manager at Shopwright. The produce manager at Shopwright controlled the community. If you had a relationship with the produce manager at shopright, you were gold, You were good. Everything would be fine. And one mom always did another one knew the police chief, the superintendent of the schools. The men knew nobody. Yeah, I think I played golf with him once. Shush, Just go read the paper. Sit over there and be quiet. Women decide where men sit in the house that a man's income bought mortgage papers that he signed. He doesn't get to decide where to sit, does he. A woman will say, no, don't sit on that chair, we're having company. Don't sit on that sofa. No, no, don't sit there. Why don't you spend some more time in the basement doing your projects, And she would send him down to the basement. He could sit wherever he wanted in the basement, but he could not sit anywhere that he wanted in the TV room, in the living room, in the dining room. Now, let George sit at the head of the table. He couldn't even decide if where to sit at the head of the table. And therefore I have always been mystified. I have been puzzled as to why there's this notion that men are in charge. Men are in charge of nothing. Men get to build, they get to work all the crappy jobs, sanitation workers. I've never seen a woman sanitation worker. I've never seen a woman building a bridge. I've never seen a woman paving a road. I've never seen them. What do women do? And it's fine, but recognize what it is. Women have thought leadership jobs. They are thought leaders. I love that title. That is the biggest BS job in the world. Yes, well, you know in my business I'm a thought leader. Really, you're a thought leader? Where's that degree? Does be you off for the degree in thought leadership? Can I get that from McGill? From my Canadian friends? Is that? What the hell is thought leadership? You mean you write an article, you write a blog on LinkedIn that has a new idea. Oh my gosh, you must be a thought leader? Does that pay?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 9: But women are in charge at media companies, media buying companies. Often at bank branches. The head of your branch at your banks, that a man or a woman. Oh, it's a woman, you see. They're in charge of the gatekeeping. They're in charge of the thought jobs, public relations, government jobs, public relations. I said that advertising agencies, banking, accounting, that's where they're in charge. They're in charge of that. Therefore, and teachers. I therefore, I've never understood the conversation about men need to be less in charge. Men don't get this side anything, anything do we eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. Look around where you're working right now. Who's the supervisor at the Amazon warehouse. Who's the supervisor the dispatcher at the truck company. Who's the dispatcher on that radio. Even when you watch suspicious television shows such as American Pickers. American Pickers, they go out into barns that have been well scoped by the producers to make an offer on an empty oil can. I'll give you twenty five bucks for this empty oil can. There aren't any others like this. This discounts as compelling TV, right, But who sends them out on American pickers, who decides where they go? A woman? A woman says you should go to Big George's barn. He's got some interesting stuff, and they do it immediately. They don't even say, oh, yeah, George, he's a jerk. No, no, none of that. They just go. That's what's so weird to me. Therefore, I don't know where that dynamic, where the cultural belief is that women are in charge. I'm sorry, I take it back, that men are in charge. I don't know where the cultural belief comes from. It's weird to me. All Right, You and I should talk about this because it's disturbing. On the Great Shift, the Late Shift, the first shift eight hundred eight four eight nine two to two, eight hundred eighty four eight nine two two two. Let's see what do we?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 9: Yeah. Mick Jagger recently celebrated his eighty third birthday. You heard him yap in there. He and his bandmates and the Rolling Stones are still making new music. But he was candid about his dislike for getting older, and he just explained that You and I heard Mick Jagger say he really doesn't like getting older, and yet they're going to put out a new album. There's nothing more miserable than a legacy band putting out a new album. We never like it. It may be great music, doesn't sync up with the album they put out forty eight years ago. It's kind of different that the last album they put out, which was forty eight years ago, doesn't sync up. When legacy bands put out new albums. We're always vaguely miserable about that, aren't we. Do you remember about twelve thirteen years ago, Paul McCartney put out an album of standards, you know, from the Great American Songbook. He put out standards. You and I don't want to hear. Paul McCartney putting out standards not a good plan. The Other side of Midnight eight hundred and eight four eight nine two to two two Walter Sterling. This is the Red Apple Audio Networks.
Speaker 1: The other side of Midnight with Walter Sterling. The other side of Midnight with Walter Sterling.
Speaker 5: Lesbians Space Space, the other side of Midnight.
Speaker 2: It sucks to go to hell for something that you can't wait land.
Speaker 5: Fight, Fight, Fight, Fight for your rights, fight for for New York City, Fight for your business.
Speaker 9: John Katzimatini's explaining why it's the government owned stores in New York bad idea. Jeff and Los Angeles, Welcome to the Other side of Midnight with Walter Sterling. Hi Jeff, Well, good morning.
Speaker 6: How are you doing.
Speaker 9: Hello, I'm very excited to talk to you.
Speaker 6: Thank you. I love your show. I just got into it a couple months ago and I lay awake all night listening to you. Wow, but I'm three hours behind you. But we're talking about marriage as marriages don't work.
Speaker 9: Why don't marriages work?
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, it's about two things. In my opinion, it's it's money and sect. If you have If you don't have either one, it's not going to work. If you have one and you.
Speaker 9: Have a shot, that makes sense. Were you married?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I was married for eighteen years.
Speaker 9: And what ended your marriage?
Speaker 6: Well, to be honest, it's just we drifted apart. I was I had a great job. I was in the entertainment business, the music business, and the business went and faded away and I lost my job, lost my money, lost my dignity, and I started wandering around for other women, cat and around.
Speaker 9: Well, and how did that go?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 6: I have some pretty good times. But you know, once the money ran out and the good times going to the parties and Grammy parties and rock concerts and backstage and hanging at nightclubs with the rock stars, it was all over.
Speaker 9: And did your wife find out that you were chatting around?
Speaker 6: Well, she never admitted it, but she was a smart woman. She knew.
Speaker 9: And do you think she do you think she had affairs.
Speaker 6: To No, not at all. She was a stand up woman.
Speaker 9: Well, so it's money and sex, That's what I think.
Speaker 6: It's very simple, very simple.
Speaker 9: Well, it is very simple. And that's a really good point. It's so easy to make things very complicated. Most things aren't very complicated. Jeff, I'm really flatter. I'm really flattered. You like the show Where in La do you live?
Speaker 6: I live in Kenoga Park, the San Fernando Valley.
Speaker 9: And are you working now?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm going. I'm seventy three years old and I sew shoes at a high end department store, lady shoes.
Speaker 9: And what's the biggest misconception men have about ladies' shoes?
Speaker 6: They can't make up their mind. Yeah, they can't make it. They don't know what they want. They don't know what they want. They come in, you know, what are you looking for, lady? And they don't know what they.
Speaker 9: Want, but they know they know they want new shoes. The relationship between women and shoes is something men will never understand.
Speaker 6: Well, I feel like I'm a therapist for women. Yes, they share that, they share their problems with me, and I control them. I'm not a chief therapist, you know, like they're their hair dresser, Like they're like they're actual therapists. I'm like the third or fourth one down?
Speaker 9: Got it? And do they tell you you're their big secrets?
Speaker 6: Fey times? Yeah, all kinds of stories.
Speaker 9: Have you ever been embarrassed? Have you ever been so embarrassed you don't want to hear their story?
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, sit anything.
Speaker 9: Have you ever been so embarrassed you don't want to hear their story?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 6: I sometimes get cross streasures to come in.
Speaker 9: And how embarrassing is that?
Speaker 6: Well? I find it kind of fundy to be honest. Really, I mean, having a guy that's like sixty one wanting a pair of shoes that are sice.
Speaker 9: Twelve, that is pretty funny. All right, my friend, you're a good guy. Jeff, Thank you very much for calling call again anytime. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. You and I are talking about the greatest mystery there is, which is how to make a marriage successful. There's no more important mystery and no more profound mystery, because usually when there's advice given as to how to make a marriage work, it's given by women's publications to women, and again, women are in charge. This is a matriarchy. You and I live in a matriarchy, not a patriarchy, a matriarchy. And then there's almost no advice on how to make a marriage work given to men. You don't see almost none. In fact, I'm thinking about publications that appeal to men, Golf, Digest, popular mechanics. I never see any advice in those publications on how to make a marriage work. Two men, how do you feel about that? Eight hundred eight four eight nine two two eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. Coming up, we have Dave Scott, who's going to explain that last night he wanted to be on this show and he couldn't do it, and the reason he couldn't do it was because the Canadian wildfires are so bad. That it knocked out his voice, made it difficult for him to see. And one of the great myths is that the Canadian wildfires are wood burning fires. They are not. They are wood and chemical burning fires. The fact is that all of those trees that are torturing us have been sprayed with chemicals. Which chemical have they been sprayed with in Canada? The same one that's in round Up? Yeah, the weed killer round Up, same chemical. And what happened with Roundup in our country, Well, what happened in round Up in our country was a big lawsuit that the manufacturer lost. How they keep making Roundup I don't quite understand, but that's for scientists, and I think we can agree. I'm not a scientist. You and I can stay in contact at all times. It's Walter dot Sterling at WABC radio dot com. And unlike other hosts, I actually answer the emails, And unlike other hosts, I'm really happy with the hours that I'm on and the hours that I'm on total during the week. Couple days ago, I said, you know, I'm on more hours than any other host on this network, and I am. But that wasn't a complaint. That was a blessing. Because the more hours that I'm on the air here, the less hours i'm home there are fewer. It is much easier for me to go to work than it is for me to be at home. And I have a good marriage and beautiful daughters, but they always want things. The demands are insanely long. You may have that problem as well. The demands are profound. But when I said yeah, I'm on the air more than any other host, my gosh, there was this insane rift of conversation on social media. Well, no, he's not as much as this one or this one. You know, Sid's on just as many. No, Sid, who's the morning man in New York. No, he's not on more hours than I am. I am on. Look, Matt's all nervous about this. I'm on twenty three hours a week, and Sid's on twenty five times for twenty he's on twenty. I'm on twenty three. What where did the three come from? I do a network show on a three hour network show on Sundays. Yes, no one else does that, but that's not a complaint. Don't get confused, very happy about that, And then others would say it was really funny, what the social media said, well, you know, is he counting prep time is because it doesn't sound like it's prep The show doesn't sound like it's prepped at all. And then they go, well, you know, Dominic works really hard. Yeah, I know, dumb. Well, he's on, you know, an hour a day, but he works really hard at it. Hi, I work really hard at it because I love being on with you on the Great Shift, The Late Shift. Walter Sterling The Other Side of Midnight eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. This is the Red Apple Audio Networks.
Speaker 15: Thanks for listening to the Other Side of Midnight. If you like the podcast, share it with your friends and listen anytime at WABC radio dot com and download the WABC Radio appsubscribe button on all major podcast platforms. Plus, follow WABC on social on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, and X see you next time for a new episode, so you never have to wonder
Speaker 13: What the heck is going on here.