Speaker 1: Let's say good morning too. The host of Home on KFI our house whisper Dean Sharp.
Speaker 2: Morning, Dean, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a dy weekend. I love a good DIY. It's so fun. Yeah, it makes you feel like you really kind of can accomplish things. And we've got some big projects, some small projects. But you're going to be talking about diys on your show this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we're going to be focusing on Sometimes very little things make the big difference when di wires get active on a project and they get frustrated because they're like, well, wait, the instructions never said how much of this or how little of that, or how to do this? And so I'm going to be taking and tackling some of those those little techniques that make all the difference. And we'll be taking calls on Saturday and spending most of Sunday talking about these fix it tips.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's there's so many here. I'm like, oh, yeah, need to do that, need to do that. I've tried that, can't do that. Here's an easy one, hopefully. What if if your toilet runs in the middle of the night, that's still a problem.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, Yes, the haunted toilet. Why are we laying in bed and all of a sudden we hear the toilet running. It's usually something super super simple. It's just usually nine times out of ten, it's the flapper inside the tank. It's that little flap that opens up that the chain is connected to from the handle of the toilet. That flapper sits in water constantly in its entire life, and eventually the rubber of the flapper starts to fail, and so it starts leaking water a little bit into the tank, a little bit, a little bit more, and then the tank drops its water level and the valve wants to refill it, and that's what we hear in the middle of the night. Fortunately, a flapper costs.
Speaker 3: Like four dollars five dollars at the hardware core and takes all of you know, thirty seconds to change out, and suddenly we will not have our haunted toilet being used by no one in the middle of the night.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's that's a great quick fix. Okay, here's another one. I've run into this. I bet you have to what do you do when you bust a light bulb and you need to get it out and there's all that sharp glass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know what, I've I always mentioned two things here because there's the right way to do it, and then there is this this kind of mythological story of how to do it. I think if you look online, everybody says, oh, just get a potato, get a get a rusted potato and shove it up in there and start to turn it. And you know what, we've tried it before, and every once in a while it works. But don't don't waste your time with the potato. There's no reason to get a potato anywhere near a broken light bulb. You just make sure that the power is off and that there is no energy running to that fixture. And this is where the use of a pair of needle nosed plyers comes in handy. You either grab the very center of that broken bulb fixture, or with needlenose plyers, you can grab the edge of the of the brass cup that's still stuck up there in the fixture, bend it in a little bit and rotate it clockwise and you'll see that you'll get all of that out quickly. Don't worry about using a rusted potato.
Speaker 1: But I have used the potato, and it did work one time.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: You know. The funny thing is because potatoes are just firm enough and just moist enough that they form kind of a vacuum seal around what's left, and they become essentially a wrench for taking it out. It's just will frustrate somebody if you go all the way to the store and get a potato, bring it home, get up there on your ladder and find out that the fixture is stuck in there a little bit too much, and that the potato just turns and turns, and you're like, Okay, why did I waste a trip to the store when I could have just used a pair of plyers exactly to just use the player.
Speaker 1: Dean Sharp is going to be saving you unnecessary trips to the store all weekend long. I would love to talk about more of this. Unfortunately we don't have the time to do it, but you're going to talk about it this weekend. What to do with mushy light receptacles, I've got that problem. How do you repair a damaged window screen, I've got that problem. How do you fix a jiggling doorknob, I've got that problem? And how do you Reattach loose carpet. I've got all these problems, So I'm going to be listening to your show this weekend. Dean sounds great, Okay great Saturday from six to eight right here on KFI, and then Sundays nine to noon. It's a Home with Dean Sharp. You can also follow him at Home with Dean. Thank you, Dean Sharp.
Speaker 2: Thanks Amy