Speaker 1: Welcome to k t r H Garden Line with Skip Richard.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Trim just watch him as well, make things superpazy.
Speaker 2: Again. Not a sign.
Speaker 4: Salmon of well, good morning, gardeners. Welcome to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and looking forward to visiting with you today about the things that are of interest to you. Got questions, feel free to give me a call seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t H. Or for those of you who like to die by the numbers and not hunt out the letters, seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four five eight seven four. However you want to however, you want to dial it, and I always say dial. I still say dial. You know, remember the days when we actually dialed. You had to stick your finger and this little round circle on the phone and turn it in a circle and it kind of roared it back to the number. Yep. Well, I still say dial. All right, anyway, punch in the numbers, maybe that's a better way to do it. Either way, we'll talk to you and we'll figure out what we need to be discussing today. Of course, the weather is a big deal. Today we got some rain blasting through various parts of the listening area, and uh, I just wanted to let you know, for those of you up well anywhere that we're planning on coming out to Kingwood to warrange Southern Gardens today, I'm not going to be there. We've had to reschedule that and obviously due to the weather and so we're gonna set that up for a different time. So if you're planning on it, well, not today we're gonna but we will be back out there, excuse me. In fact, I'm going to be there on Saturday, April nineteenth. That is the Saturday of eas Easter weekend, So Saturday April nineteenth, we'll be there at Warren's Southern Gardens. I apologize to that. I was really looking forward to going out there. I love going to Warren's. Is a wonderful place, lots of selection and we even had a little bit of an indoor area where we could gather and talk. But with weather like today, we figure people probably don't need to be out on the roads at that time, so we are rescheduling that one. To start off, I wanted to mention that when you're wanting to have beauty outside. You know, there's different ways we do. We revamped the landscape, we put in flower beds. I mean, there's a lot of great ways to create an environment. One of the simplest ways is just to use color containers. And I don't think we use enough color containers. Every year I add one a large container to the landscape. And when you put in a container, if you want success, it needs to have drain holes so that it doesn't get soggy bogged down as water builds up inside, the container needs to drain out, and you need a quality container mix to do that, and that would be jungle Land. Jungle Land is sold by Nitrofoss and they have the outdoor version called Flour and Vegetable Planting Soil. Jungle Land Flour and Vegetable Planting Soil, and you can find nit Fross products a lot of different places. Plants and things up in Brennam, M and D and Clear Lake as well as the M and D Beamer which is on Beamer in the Sagemond area. Those are all places where you're going to find Nitrofoss products. But remember, get a good quality potting soil. You want it to drain well, but you want it to hold some moisture too, and that's the blend. That's the goal of a quality soil, or one of the goals or two of the goals. But Junglelean will provide that for you. Let's head out to Magnolia and we're going to talk now to Cheryl. Hey, Cheryl, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: Yes, thank you, good morning, good morning. Yes, I'm a new azalea planter, and I had heard in the past that after azelia's bloom you should trim them. And mine are only eighteen inches tall and they're starting to lose their blooms.
Speaker 2: Do I still.
Speaker 5: Trim them at young of an age? And how would I do that?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: Not necessarily at all. The point that is being made when people say that is if you're going to prune them, prune them after they bloom, sometime between now and midsummer. That way they have time to grow new shoots and set bloom bud so next year you have a bloom show. If you prune them in winter, like we do a lot of plants, you'll be cutting off all your blooms. That doesn't mean you have to print them after they bloom. Uh, if they're missed, if they need shaping, if you've got you know, one bush that has a giant, gangly wild hair shoot coming out to the side and you kind of want to cut it back and balance it and things, that's what you would do after the bloom time. But just because you haven't the celia doesn't mean you need to print it.
Speaker 5: Okay, wonderful, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Well you bet enjoy those. They're beautiful plants. Appreciate the call, Cheryl. You take care. We're we're getting this rain today, and we do from time to time. In fact, here in southeast Texas, when it rains, it pours. It's the Morton Salt commercial. How many I'll remember that Morton Salt commercial, little girl carrying the umbrella with the salt spilling out behind her. Well, it does pour. When it rains here, we get the gully washers. And then in summer we get dry soil, dry conditions and dry soil, and that shrinking and swelling activity from getting wet, getting dry, getting wet, getting dry. That is what causes all these issues with hardscapes in our area, like a sidewalk, like a driveway, like the foundation in your house. And fix my slab foundation repair. That's our go to foundation repair company here on Garden Line. Ty Strickland's been doing this for twenty three years. He's a native Fewstonian, fifth generation Texan. As a matter of fact, he understands the soil, he understands the movement. He knows how to assess and how to fix. And it is a rare thing in the service industry to find somebody who gives you a fair price, shows up on time, and fixes it right. I'm sorry that that's just the way it is. No matter what you're hiring somebody to come do at the house. If you can find someone that shows up on time, fixes it right, and gives you a fair price, you've done something. And that is exactly what Ty does with fix my slab foundation repair the website, fixmyslab dot com, fixmislab dot com. The phone number two eight one two FI five forty ninety nine two eight one two FI five four nine four nine. Give them a call. If you've got sticky doors, cracks in the brick, cracks in the sheet rock, have him come take a look at it. That is very important not to be an ostrich and stick your head in the sand, but to take a good close look. I was checking out the roses at RCW Nursery recently and oh my gosh, their selection is just amazing. They still have good selection of roses. You know they they get in some All the rosarians know about RCW and the rose selection that they have, But did you know they have really nice selection of color too, annual color. Now you can go to RCW Nurseries dot com or just drive over there to the corner of Beltway eight and Tomball Parkway, which is highway to forty nine. You're going to find everything you're looking for from trees and shrubs to beautiful color, calibracoa and petunias and day and verbina and just all kinds of things at r CW Nurseries. Let me take a little break here and we'll come back with your calls.
Speaker 7: Win.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back to the garden line. Glad have you with us this morning. It's a good day to be inside talking about gardening for right now. That is what is That's exactly what we're gonna do. By the way, if you don't if you haven't downloaded my schedule on gardening with Skip dot com, that's my lawn care schedule. Actually there's two of them, lawn care and lawn pest disease and weed management. They're all free. You need to do that. And what you'll notice is we're getting in the time where we call summer fertilizing. We have our spring, we can do an early green up, we want to do that, but basically the bulk of the grass growing is kicking off big time now and that's when we switch over to a longer term fertilizer or I mean, you can still use one that's a meat release, you just have to do it in small fertilizations over time. But it's easier just to grab some Nitroposs Superturf. That's their silver bag. It's a nineteen four to ten fertilizer. Put it out and it's going to give you about four months of fertilizing and by gradually feeding like that, you don't get that flesh of growth, which means you're mowing, mowing, mowing, trying to keep up with it. It's a nice graduate release, really excellent design product. Night Foss Superturf's available in places like D and D feed in Tumbull Fisher's Hardware down in Baytown on Alexander and also the Fisher's Hardware on FM thirty one eighty and Mont Bellevue. Let's head back out to the phones. We're going to go to a memorial area and talk to Bruce. Hey, Bruce, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 8: Good morning, Stiff, Thank you. I have a couple of questions. One, my yard suffered last year a bit and I'm trying to catch back up. I've got weeds and I think we're switching from cool season herbicide treatments to warm so I needed, sorry for spot treating weeds for this warm time. And I have some concerns we have mature trees, so I've been trying to avoid the weed and seed wheat and feeds like with atrazine or dacanda and things like that. Is there something that's just taken up through the foliage and doesn't get taken up by roots through by the soil.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if it's a broad leaf weed, there are products that do control broad leafs selectively, they don't hurt grasses. And then there are if it's a grassy weed, it's hard to kill in your lawn because, with a few exceptions, if you kill a grassy weed. You kill a grassy lawn, and so we avoid those as post emergence, which is what you're asking about for the broadly weeds broadly okay, Well, for the broadleaf weeds, we're basically looking at something that's a combination of different products.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 4: And there are a lot of blends out there, you know, from Bonaie has their weed beater, the burd Loam has their weed free zone I believe as they call it. But they're combination. Sometimes you'll see a product that says trimac tri mec. That means it's a combination of three in that case, different broadly weed controls. And by doing those combos it covers a broader group of weeds, you know, and no one product until we'll kill every weed. So those combo products is what I would do. I'd mix them in a sprayer and then just spot spray. Do it in the morning when it's the coolest part of the day.
Speaker 8: Okay. And the second question on my laund rehab, I've got a copy of the schedule and this month I plan to airate gypsum get ready for summer fertilizing and top dressing with composts. But I also need to patch in some sod. Where does the sod patching fit into a combination like that after aeration?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well yeah, I would. Here, here's the thing. If you put the sod down, you're going to need to wait. I would probably wait about a month before I do the aeration. You want the side to root in really, really well and begin to grow and be a good, strong plant. It's a transplant, and so you want that transplant to get on its feet and get going, then do the aeration. Now, as far as gypsum, gypsum is helpful if your problem ishight sodium in the soil and a clay that doesn't drain well due to sodium. If you don't have a sodium problem, the gypsum is not a big help. It doesn't. Gypsum, contrary to popular belief, doesn't just break up a clay because it's a clay. What it does is that it makes sodium leave the clay particles, and therefore the soil can form a better structure. But if it's not a sodium problem, gypsum is don't worry about putting the gypsum down.
Speaker 8: Okay, I'm gonna guess that's it.
Speaker 4: Then all right, so we call back if you got any other questions. Appreciate it. Thanks a lot, you take care. You know, it's I know it's hard for me to talk about a sprinkler on a day like this because we're getting plenty of sprinkling. But you know, summer's coming in that tree you plant it last fall or this spring, especially this spring. And those of you who are continuing to plant trees, which I hope you are, trees and shrubs, those plants don't have extensive root systems. When this summer comes, they're starting to root in, but not like they need to be. And that's where a tree hugger sprinkler is so helpful. It goes around the tree. You hook it to your garden hose and you can turn it on just a little bit, so maybe it's just watering a little you know, eight inch circle or ten inch circle or whatever, or you can turn it up more and more and more to where maybe you've got a five year old tree that's getting some good size on it and you're water in a very large area to rescue it during the summer drought times, or to keep the growth going, keep it moving. Tree hugger sprinklers are available in seven inch, eleven inch, and fifteen inch sizes. You can go to tree Hugger Sprinklers dot com find out more information about them. But it says tree hugger. But if you're planting a rosebush or a shrub, it's good for that too, and you're gonna find them a lot of places. D and D feed up in tumble Spring Creek Feed Center, League City Feed Done in League City, Southwest Fertilizer, and many ace stores like Sinkle Ranch and Katie and K and M and A Task a seat in full Sure all the places you can get tree Hugger. I talked about RCW Wallago, they carry it, Nelson Watergarden, were in Southern Gardens, in Chanting Gardens, and in Channy Forest, a Kingwood Garden Center, Arborgate. You see what I'm talking about. They're widely available, So no excuse not to grab you one and keep it with you. Because anytime anything gets planted, or even something that's well established, like a tree, when we go into one hundred degrees for one hundred days with no rain at all, you know, rescue that tree and tree Hugger is the best way to do it. We're gonna head out to sugar Land now and talk to Michael. Hey, Michael, welcome to garden line Skid.
Speaker 10: I've got a couple of questions my garden from last year. It did very well. I put this. It's an outside in the backyard garden. I started garden now by putting down basically a plastic covering to keep the weeds out, covered it over the winter time, went out about two weeks ago and took the cover off, and I've got weeds, not necessarily leads with grass coming in. I want to know what can I do to treat that and the little pieces of clover that I'm seeing popping up before I put my plants in more.
Speaker 4: This is this vegetables or flowers or what all is going in here?
Speaker 10: It's vegetables, basically vegetables, squash, carriage beats. So that sort of things finached.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, you got a couple of options, and we have several, and I'll just get maulty, some of which I'm sure won't be acceptable, but they are options. And that would start with, for example, getting a hoe or hand pulling and getting rid of the weeds that way. A second option would be to roto till the area and then multch it very well, very thickly, so any weeds trying to sprout from seed couldn't make it. What I did in an area I have an orchard area, I saw some grasses coming up, and so I just took a weed eater and took them to the ground and then I mulched it really heavily. And as those grasses try to sprout, they're going to try to push leaves up. But if they can't get them to sunlight there, it's going to kill the plant. And if they do get them to sunlight and throw more mulch on them. But so those those are some of the options that you can do. Back in the day when everybody took the newspaper, a newspaper was an excellent mulch to then cover with leaves. It would it would kill pretty much anything but bermuda and nuts edge under it. But you just need to smother them basically, And is a good way to do that.
Speaker 10: Is there no product chemical wise that could be put in there that would be safe to put in.
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, if you're if you don't have any desire plants in them, is there nothing in there?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 4: Now that you're afraid to killing.
Speaker 10: Well, there's you know, I haven't even started my planning yet. It's a it's basically took the cover off, so there's nothing in there other than I've looked at this grass. It's a strange grass that popped up last year. I've sent it all through boy Being County. It has the really really deep roots, so I'm having to pull it or warden it from the roots. That's what I'm meaning when to get rid of.
Speaker 4: Okay, so there there is a product.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 4: The ingredient is glue fascinate okay. Uh. And it's I'm gonna do you have a pen? Do you have a pen?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It's it's g l u fos I n ate glue foss and eight. And it's used in the same way that you would have used around up. Do you spray it on an existing plant and it kills it broad leaf or grass whatever, it kills it, and it moves down there. It's sold in a number of different brands. Let's see where you're calling from. Sugar. Oh, you're you're close to Southwest Fertilizer. Just just go over and talk to Bob about glue Fascinating he's going to have some products on hand from that. Your ACE hardware stores may have some of that as well.
Speaker 10: Great, thank you, Schi. One more question what I follow the schedule and you are looking pretty good right now, but I'm seeing some patches of clover. What would be a good post e merger to put down right now?
Speaker 4: Well, once these cool season weeds like clover become reproductive, meaning they're blooming and they have seeds on them already, they're harder to kill with the post and urgents. And just because of the growth stage therein it, the way these pre emergents often work, they don't work well and that in a weed in that stage. But that said, you can spray them with any post emergent broad leaf control that's labeled. Is this a lawn now, Michael, I missed that. If you said that, yeah, that we're.
Speaker 10: Talking about it's sin Augustine I've got in my.
Speaker 4: Backyard yet, Okay, okay, thank you? Yeah, And so something labeled for the turf you could use as a spray. I'll tell you what I've been doing, and that is hand pulling. And the reason is this. If you've got a clover and it has a hundred seeds on it, which wouldn't be a surprise. You could even if you killed that weed. Now you have one hundred seeds. You didn't accomplish a lot because the clover is going to die anyway when it heats up. So those weeds are about to go away anyway. And I would rather get the seeds out of there. And clover comes out of one spot in the ground, it's very easy and moist soil to pop it up. I have a little kneeling bunch. I'm out there with a long, little weeding fork, and you can cover a lot of ground pretty fast. Now, if you don't want to do that, or not able to do that, then you're left with two things. Number one, set your mower very low and mow and bag and capture as much of the seed therefore as you can, and don't get it out of there. Don't don't return the clippings get in this case, get the weed, seeds and clippings out of there. And then the second thing would be to sprim with a broad leaf post emergent. If you were going to do that, I would do that before I mow, because you want it to move down in the plant, all right.
Speaker 10: Thank you and yeah, I've been doing a lot of hand pulling on my knees, so I know we exactly what you talk about. I have a wonderful day, Skip, Thank you as always.
Speaker 4: All right, thanks Mike, appreciate you appreciate that call. Our phone number if you would like to give us a call is seven one three two one two kt r A seven one three two one two KTRH. You know, Nature's Way Resources for thirty years now, had been over thirty years now has been specializing in doing what nature does, and that is building quality soil for plant thriving and health with organic matter, decomposing organic matter. They make composts, they make bed mixes. They that's where rose sooil was born. That's where leaf mol compost was born. They know what they're doing, they know how to do it. And so whatever you're needing, maybe you are building the soil. Talk to them at Nature's Way Resources. That's the website too, by the way, Nature's Way Resources dot com. You want to give them a call nine three six two seven three twelve hundred. Just remember whether it's a mult whether it's a compost. Oh, and also every Friday is fungal based composts, ten percent off bags, twenty percent off bulk. You're not going to beat that. In the number seven one three two one two KTRH should be right back. All right, folks, we're back here on garden line, ready to talk gardening. All you got to do is give me a call. Seven one three two one two KTRH seven one three two one two kt RH look forward to visiting with you about the things that are of interest to you. Planks for All Seasons is the garden Center there on Tomball Parkway two forty nine. If you're going north up toward Tomball from Houston, you exit Luetta, across over Luetta and it's right there on the right hand side, easy, easy to find. Now, this place has been around since the nineteen seventies. Early in nineteen seventy three, I believe, is when plans for all Seasons began. Now they garden here, they've lived here a long time, they've gardened here a long time. When you go in there, you're going to find expertise from people who don't just didn't just read about it, or you know. These are people that garden that know, that have tried things, that have seen it, they've been through here here, through the waves of sod, webworms and all the other things that come through, and they therefore know how to help you. You can bring them a sample or a picture and they'll take time with you to make sure you get the right product or advice that you need to have success. Now. The websites Plans for All Seasons dot com the phone number two eight one three seven six sixteen forty six two eight one three seven six one six four six. If you think you have a brown thumb, go in there and let them help you turn it green. They are true lawn and garden experts at Plants for All Seasons.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: Visiting with Michael Wallago about you know, managing weeds and things, some of the post emergents and the whatnot that's out there. I just I think I mentioned to him Southwest Fertilizer. That's the place on the corner of Businest and Renwick, and I know that I can always send someone there and whatever they need is going to be there. You know, if I say, well you need to go fine in this case, I think someone else it's talking about a glue foscin eight. You know what is that you probably hadn't heard me say that one before on the air. Well, I know Bob's got it. It's Southwest Fertilizer because they have everything you need. If they don't have it, you don't need it. It's as simple as that, simple as that. And if you're an organic gardener and you're looking for the broadest selection of organic products in the greater Houston area, that's it Southwest Fertilizer. And you may be listening to me and Tim Buck two long far away, but I can tell you this. When you go to Southwest Fertilizer, it's worth the trip because you're going to find everything that you need. Corner of bis Nutton Runwick, Southwest Fertilizer dot com if you want to give them a call seven to one three six sixty six one seven four four seven one three six sixty six one seven four to four. I'm going to be there toward the end of this month too, looking forward to coming on down. All right, let's go out to Gary in Salt Lake and we'll see how we can help welcome garden line Gary.
Speaker 13: Good morning morning. A quick question. Now, I'm not slid like I'm a sergeant between a freeport and mad.
Speaker 4: Sergeant.
Speaker 13: Okay, thank you, yeah, sergeant, sergeant. Question salt water and sant augustine, Like on a high tide or a little serge or whatever it gets on that san augustine, will it kill it?
Speaker 4: Well, sant euxtine does not want to be watered with ocean water. That's for sure. One one good dosing of it, Probably not the end of the world, especially if you follow with an irrigation to kind of rense those salts out of the area. Right, you're probably that's a case where a little gypsum put on the soil to wash it down into the soil would be helpful. Is another part of the remedy. It's not just adding the gypsum. It's adding the gypsum and then getting a good drenching to wash it down through the soil. Profile. Now, there are some more salt tolerant There are some more salt tolerant turfs, but they have their own challenges other than the salt issue.
Speaker 13: Right, okay, all right, well, thank you very much. That's my question.
Speaker 4: All right, Gary, good luck have fun down there. All right, there you go, as simple as that, it is time to be fertilizing our lawns for summer. So I don't know where you are with this. If you did a spring green up, he probably used nitrofoss Imperial fifteen five to ten. It's been around for gosh, at least fifty years. It's created by the turf Research Universities of the Southern Gulf Coast. That not the fertilizer product itself, but that ratio, that three to one to two ratio, fifteen five to ten, lots of nitrogen, not much phosphorus, medium amount of potassium. That's what you're looking for, and that's what's in Imperial. Now. Imperial is in a reddish orange bag, kind of a red orange bag. And you know, if you want to use that, it's like, well, your schedule says we can use slow release. Yes, you can use slow release. You can also take something like Imperial and just do very small applications over time and sort of create your own slow release equivalent if you will. But whatever you want to do for a quick green up on your lawn, you know it's not looking good, Hey, I want to get something down quick, Go ahead and do that Imperial fifteen five to ten. Give it about a month or so, maybe six weeks, and then follow it up with your slow release fertilizer and you will have a beautiful lawn all the way up into fall.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 4: Imperial is available at places like Fisher's Hardware and Pasadena Fisher's Hardware and Laport. If you go to D and D feed up in tomball or plants for all seasons. On two forty nine, I was just talking about them all places you're going to find nitrofoss products. We're going to head out now to Brookshire, Texas and talk to Sammy. Hello, Sammy, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 14: Hey, thank you.
Speaker 11: It's honored to talk to you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: I was gonna ask about tomato plants.
Speaker 11: Is it okay to feed them once a week?
Speaker 15: Every week?
Speaker 6: I'm using a microlife. And the second one is trimming cucumbers. Last year I trimmed too much, and I don't think that cucumbers spared very well. Maybe I've cut too many leaves away. And this year I was thinking about leaving it all natural.
Speaker 11: I just go finding them. Would you recommend trimming them? And so how much? Thank you?
Speaker 4: You're talking about trimming the cucumber vines vines.
Speaker 11: Yes, or all the big leaves and the vines.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, first of all, on the MICROLFE, that is a fertilizer that is going to release as the microbes break it down over time, so you don't need to fertilize it that often with microlife. If you put microlife down, oh maybe twice during that tomato growing season, you know we're gonna be growing. We're gonna be producing tomatoes on into June. I mean it could go longer than that. You could be in July for sure too. But I would say about every four weeks a good dose of microlife. You're not going to burn them with it, so you can put a little bit more down and that would be That should be good. A couple applications of it for that particular tomato season. Now, on the trimming, I wouldn't trim the cucumbers. If you need to trim, you know they're going in a direction you don't want. You're gonna cut that off and let the growth in other directions continue on. You can do that, but there's no specific cucumber pruning system that we have to follow.
Speaker 11: Terrifict, thank you for your time, have a great day.
Speaker 4: Ah right, good, thanks, appreciate your call.
Speaker 11: You too, by bye.
Speaker 4: I have lost control of the board.
Speaker 16: Here.
Speaker 4: Let's see here if I can get that thing. But there we go, get it back on there. Thanks, thanks for the help. There. We are talking about a lot of different topics here on garden Line today, but I do want to mention another one and that is turf aeration and compost top dressing. Now what is that all about. Well, in our heavy clay soils, especially in compacted clay soils, the oxygen can't get done in the soil very far. Water doesn't move in very fast, it runs off instead of soaking in well, and aeration makes little holes in the ground. It pops plugs out of the soil, drops them on the surface, which by the way helps reduce thatch a lot. And then compost top dressing gets that organic matter down into the soil. You know, with a gardening rototail every time between crops, but with a lawn you can't rototil your lawn and move organic matter into the soil. BnB turf pros is a professional when it comes to this process. If you are living from sugar Land to Missouri City all the way across to Manviln Paarland in the southwest part of Houston. That's your company. Go to bb turfpros dot com seven to one three two three four five five nine eight seven one three two three four fifty five ninety eight. Talk to them. They know how to do it. They'll treat you right. Alrighty, welcome back to the garden line. Good to have you with us. We'd like to give me a call. Seven one three two one two KTRH. I was out in the yard yesterday doing some things. And actually I was sitting around a little our table in the back the patio, sitting with my wife. They're talking about some various stuff, and uh, two cardinals came, male and female cardinal to the feeder. And it's it is because we put the kind of food they like in it. There's a product in the you only get it at Wildbird's Unlimited. It's called Cardinal Confetti Blend. And I mean they love this stuff. It's got black old sunflowers, sunflower chips, nutrisapp bark, butter bits, peanut has dried mealworms, striped sunflowers. See if there's a bird listening to this, they're salivating right now. I can tell you that. I mean they come to this. It's like me and inchu ladas. You know, if you want to set a trap for me, just put an inchilada in it and I'm gonna walk right in there. Cardinal confetti from wild Birds Unlimited is awesome. It's awesome stuff. Now when you're there, you're gonna find a lot of other quality blends. The nesting super blend very important this time of era because it has the protein and calcium that birds need to lay eggs to build the skeletal structures on the young as are coming up. Very important. Nesting super blend from Wildbirds. And where is Wildbirds? Well, there's six of them in the Greater Houston area. If you're in clear Lake on Eldorado, if you're in Cypress on Barker Cypress, if you are in West Houston on bel Air Boulevard, if you are excuse me, on Memorial Drive, and then Southwest Houston is bel Air Boulevard just south of downtown. Getting them all mixed up here Kingwood Drive in Kingwood, Pearland. How about East Broadlet Broadway in Paarland. Six different Wildbirds Unlimited stores. Go to WBU dot com forward slash Houston you can find the Wildbirds Store that's near you. I love I love watching the birds, I really do. And we have some swallows that are nesting on our front kind of our front porch. There's a little post up under the eaves and they've built their nest and they come back to it pretty much every year, and they're there now. I love to listen to those low guys as they chatter and it's like their chattering and fussing' or I don't know what, but it's a lot of fun. And they come and then they go, they fly the coop is, so to speak. They're gone again. Birds are a nice addition to the landscape. Just a reminder again, I'm not going to be at Warren's Southern Gardens today. I was, but because of the rain and the issues that we're dealing with, we have postponed that until Saturday, April nineteenth. That's a Saturday prior to Eastern Okay, Saturday April nineteenth, I will be at Warren Southern Gardens. Now, that doesn't mean you can't go to Warren Southern Gardens our Kingwood Garden Center. Both are there in Kingwood. Both are open seven days a week. This is on North Park Drive, Kingwood, is on stone Hollow Drive. It's easy to get to now. When you go in there, you're going to find the products I recommend, like products from Microlife and Nitrofoss, Neilson turf Star, airloom soils, the little jars of Nelson plant food. Both Warrens and Kingwood have the refilling stations where you can refill Microlife and Nelson products. You buy the jar originally and then you just bring the empty jar back in and pull down the hand. We'll fill it up like you're buying peanuts in the grocery store. And it's a very economical way to go, and it's also a way that avoids thrown more plastic out there in the environment. Right now, the color at those places is outstanding. You should see it. I mean it's it's beautiful and it is worth a trip out to either Warren Southern Gardens on North Park or Kingwood Garden Center on stone Hollow Drive. If you'd like to give me a call. We get a little bit of time here. We can get a quick call in seven to one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two. Ktr Ace Hardware stores are all over this Greater Houston area. And you know, ACE Hardware is just all over the place, period, but here in the local area. If you're looking for that group of ACE Hardware stores that are here in our Houston area that we talk about all the time, that's Ace Hardware Texas dot Com. Put the word Texes in there. Ace Hardware Texas dot Com. No matter what you're looking for, Ace Hardware has got you covered. It is time to fertilize the lawn. It is time to do weed control in the lawn. And so what where do you go? Well, Ace Hardware They're going to have the fertilizers that I talk about. They're going to have the products to control insects and diseases and weeds not just in a lawn, but in your garden and in your landscape. Do you need tools for pruning? Do you need spreaders for your fertilizer, for your fireant, bad for all of those kinds of things. Ace Hardware that's the place to go. They will get you fixed up. And all you have to do is go to Acehardware Texas dot Com to find the store near you. Now, when you're there, I gotta warn you take an empty pickup or trailer so you can go. You're gonna see a barbecue pit that you can't live without. I promise you that every time I go in, I see a barbecue pit I can't live without. In all the outdoor living things and indoor living that ace hardware offers be a good day to visit too. It's indoors, don't have to worry about the rain. All right, let's see here. We're gonna go now and talk to Shane. Hello, Shane, Welcome to garden Line. Let's see do we have Shane? Well, you know what we do have, Shane. There we go. Hey, Shane, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 17: Hey, Skip, how you doing, sir?
Speaker 4: I'm doing good. How can we help?
Speaker 17: I want to see what you recommend. I'm looking to redo our flower beds and add some cactus, some cold hardy, probably down to twenty degrees. Okay, what would you recommend him?
Speaker 18: Where I find them?
Speaker 4: You're done in road sharing area? Yes, yes, sir, yeah you know I would.
Speaker 19: Uh.
Speaker 4: Well, first I just check out Jraes Hidden Gardens down in Alvin. Uh they do have I think the last time I was in there, I noticed that they did have cactus, some cactus in I could be wrong about that. You may want to give them a call first, uh, and see when you head down. You know from you just to the west is enchanted forest and chanted gardens out in Richmond. I do know that they carry some and they can go through them and tell you which ones are cold hearty.
Speaker 20: Uh.
Speaker 4: In terms of outdoors, you know, we when we say cactus, that covers a lot of different kinds of plants, and so whether it's cactus or agave or yuccas or you know, all the different desert type plants, they've got you covered on those.
Speaker 11: Okay, I appreciate it, all right.
Speaker 4: You bet, Thank you for the call. Appreciate that alrighty. Let's see here, Well I've got time for another call. We're going to go now to Waller and talk to Blake. Hey, Blake, welcome to garden Line. Hey, Skip, how you doing.
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 4: It's actually Walker County, a Walker County, Okay?
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Hey, We've been in a new home for about two months and we put down some say Augustine.
Speaker 14: It's been growing great.
Speaker 4: But do I do you think I should put any fertilizer down?
Speaker 13: I mean, it's fresh sod.
Speaker 11: What are your thoughts?
Speaker 4: When did you plant it.
Speaker 13: Beginning of March.
Speaker 4: I would I would wait at least four weeks, if not six weeks before you start fertilizing that grass just isn't gonna need it until about them. Uh. And then I would you know, just maybe do a go ahead and do a slow release at this point so it will gradually feed it as it continues to establish and and and and grow in.
Speaker 21: Okay, and what products you think you'd recommend?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got a couple of good good products out there. The Night of Fuss has the silver bag. It is called super Turf. Super Turf. It's a silver bag, real easy, easy to see, so that you know, that would be a good example. You know, it kind of depends on what's sold right in your area. I don't know the stores up there. Are you in Huntsville or just outside or what?
Speaker 13: Yeah, about fifteen minutes from Huntsville.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm sure you've got some up there. I just haven't been to the garden centers up there recently, so sure. Probably if you've got an ACE hardware store, I'm sure they're going to carry stuff like that.
Speaker 22: Cool.
Speaker 4: Thanks, Skip, appreciate it.
Speaker 11: Man to have a good day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks for the call. Take care. All right, there you go, well talking about you know, different things that we need to be doing. At this time of the year, it is it is time to make sure that you have done everything you can to avoid the weed problems. And a barricade by nitrofoss is a product that we put down and then we watered into about a half inch of water. It moves into the soil surface and then when a weed tries to germinate, maybe it's crabgrass or grassburrs. Those are summer weeds. You're not having to deal with them because they never show up. The barricade shuts them down before they get started. And you're going to find nitrofoss products at RCW nurseries, You're going to find it at Hiden and Feed on Student or Airline. You're going to find it at ACE Hardware City on Memorial Drive. Lots of places carry nitro foss products. And barricade is one that will put down a barricade and shut down the weeds before they even get started. Now you want to hurry up and do it because every day you wait as weeds get germinated and begin to make little plants. Barricade isn't a post emergent. It doesn't kill existing weeds, it prevents new ones from coming in. I've got a lot area that's very thin. That means weeds are going to show up wherever sunlight hits the soil. Nature plants a weed, so barricades away. We avoid that from nitroposs. Just one more reminder as we wind up this hour, I'm not going to be at Warren's Southern Gardens today as had been planned due to the weather. Just feel like I don't need to try to be pulling people out through that kind of weather that we're having, So we're going to postpone it. I'm going to put that off and on April nineteenth, that's a Saturday, April nineteenth, I'll be heading out to warren Southern Gardens. Okay, so that would be one to two saturdays from today. All right, there you go. Well, while I'm talking about that, I'll tell you where I will be next Saturday, and that is our seed w Nurseries. That's Saturday the twelve, from twelve to two at our c w R set. When I come back, i'll tell you a little bit more about that.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H Garden Line. With Skip Richard.
Speaker 3: It's just watch him as so many good things to spot by.
Speaker 4: Hey, folks, welcome back to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter. We're here to help you have a bountiful, bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape and more fun in the process. Gardening should be fun, and it is fun. Sometimes we get all tied up in a nott you know, sweating weather. Oh, I don't know how to grow a plan. I'm going to kill a plan. I always kill plans and all that kind of stuff. I understand that, but it's not necessary maybe and inundated with rules. You know, people say, well, you have to do this this way, you have to do that that way. Listen. The only rules are have fun. Oh and the rules that are between you and your hoa. I'll stay out of that one. But seriously, it's gardening. Is it's fun and it don't There's no shame in killing a plant. There's just not. That's part of the learning process. You can get you another one. Or maybe maybe you didn't plant it right. Maybe it wasn't a plant that wanted to grow here. Maybe you got busy, went on vacation, it didn't get watered or you know, all the billion things that can happen along the way. But the plants are for you to enjoy. That's why we plant them. You want to beautify your landscape, you want to add value to your landscape, and you want to have fun, and so have fun. It's okay, you can get you another plant. One of the best horticulturists in this country from over on the East Coast a number of years ago, made a statement, and it was to be a horticulture She got to kill a lot of plants. And I think that I'm giving you permission to kill plants. Okay, isn't that the weirdest thing to hear on a gardening show? You go kill plants. No, I'm not saying you should go do it. I'm just saying it's okay if you do. You're learning. Do you know that nature kills plants every year. They're called annuals at the end of the season. In fact, they commit suicide. They they bloom and they die because the season is changing. I mean it just it's part of the switchover of the landscape. And don't be afraid to do that. And know that all landscapes too. By the way are temporary. They all need renovating at some point or they become a mess, just a mess. You know, those shrubs you can't even are growing over the eaves of the house. You can't see out the windows, all that kind of thing. So it's a constant state of renovation. That's what nature is, and I think that's one of the best things about gardening because it's always a new star. There are not many places in life situations where you can just totally start fresh over. I mean zero. You could right now, get out there, pull every plant you got up, run a rototiller over the whole property, and replant everything the way you wanted to look. I know I wouldn't necessarily recommend that, but you could. You could. I guess what I'm trying to say is this, let's learn, let's have fun, and don't be afraid to try something new. I've planted things before, and later I thought, well, was I thinking I knew that plant wasn't going to work there? I mean, if I had thought about it, pull it up, move it somewhere else, or just put something else in its place. All right, I think that makes sense. Well, let's head straight out now to Kingwood, and we're going to talk to Mike. Hey, Mike, welcome to garden Line. Thanks thanks for having me.
Speaker 7: Hey, I had some real hard packed dirk and a couple of places over by some big oak trees and sycamore trees. I mean just heart packs almost like seeing it and break down and put some new sawd there and and some sand in the step. But okay, growing in this hard pack, especially in the backyard is uh a layer of fungus. It's almost like its just picked fungus. It looks like a green AstroTurf carpet.
Speaker 2: It's not grass.
Speaker 4: Definitely a fungus.
Speaker 2: So what did I use to kill that before?
Speaker 7: I uh try to you know, first area and then put some new over it.
Speaker 4: Well, what it is is it's a moss, a moss and uh you you know you can you could spray it and kill her, or you could just kind of scrape it, or if you're going to do any spading and rototilling, it's going to break it up anyway. But if you just want to scrape it off, that's fine. There are products. There's a product called moss Max moss smacks that you can spray on it. But it's there because it's shady and it's wet and and other things just aren't growing, and it's filling in the space, and so I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot. Just scrape it off and go on with the preparation that you're talking about. That's good. You want to get that soil ready so you can have a chance for success.
Speaker 7: Okay, I appreciate you very much.
Speaker 4: Thanks, Hey, Mike, Thanks lot. Remember I'm not coming out to Kingwood this today, but I'll be there on Saturday, April nineteenth, So if y'all got it, you get a chance coming out and see me. Bring me some of your moss. I'd like to see it, all right, take care, all right, thank you. Okay, soil and quality in terms of nutrients, I want to talk about that just a minute. The way nature works, you know before we showed up with fertilizer spreaders. The way nature works is organic matter decomposes and it releases its nutrients into the mineral of the soil, which is also releasing the nutrients for the mineral particles that are on there, and it creates this perfect environment for roots to thrive microlife. Fertilizers designed around that principle. You know, every granule of microlife was once something living. Okay, there was something living that decomposed into what now is a fertilizer product. It has been produced into a fertilizer product that you put down and microbes get a hold of it like they do any organic matter in nature. They break it down and they get those nutrients out. So the green bag, the six to four, the number one selling organic fertilizer in Houston from microlife, that's what we're talking about. It's a good ratio, perfect ratio for plants, a three one two ratio for that lawn you're wanting to grow. It's time to get that out. You can do it now and you can repeat that through the season. If you follow my schedule, you'll see on there I got an organic row going across on the lawn care schedule, and you just apply it and allow it to come completely be released by nature to feed the grass. That's how it works. You can also put the purple bag hum mats plus. Think of that not as a fertilizer, but as a soil improver, a soil amendment. It is a final decomposed states of organic matter. Humates plus the purple bag by Microlife. Those two together make a really good way to kick off spring in a very good way so that you can have success. Now you're gonna find Microlife at a lot of different places. It's widely available. One example is Buchanan's Native Plants Downtown. They're on Eleventh Street and the Heights. And by the way, if you haven't been to the Buchanans you need to go Eleventh Street and the Heights. Here's the website, though I want to make sure I say this, Buchanansplants dot com. You need to go there, sign up for the newsletter. It is wonderful. It is informative and very helpful. And if you canons, you're gonna find the fertilizers you're looking for, the soil products you're looking for. But most important, you're going to find one of the best selections of native plants throughout this whole region, and non native plants as well. Today'd be a good day to be in their Houseplank greenhouse. It's huge and it's covered. I could get wet in there. Buchanans Native Plants eleven Street in the Heights. I'll be right back all right, Welcome back to Guardenline folks. Glad to have you with us today. He remember last summer when we had those storms that came through, separated out and they knocked out power for like a couple of weeks each. I mean it was a long time, depend on where you live. I had family in the Houston areas out for over two weeks no power. Well, that kind of makes you think about, oh, I wish I had a generator, so and keep things going, keep that food and refrigerator from going bad, continue to work. You know a lot of you work from home, or at least you get work done from home, and when you don't have power, well, you're up a creek.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 4: Quality home products, that's all you need to know. Quality home products. And here's why I say that. They have the Generac Automatic stand by generators that are just a premium product right there. Generac Automatic stand by generators. They give you power so that once in a lifetime storm that keeps happening is not going to leave you in the dark. You can protect that power supply. Now, they're the number one generator servicer in the Houst scenario. They take care of their customers from the time you call them and say, hey, I'm thinking I might want to get a generator. They walk you through it. They make sure you get the model, the type, the everything that you need. You know, because there's questions. Not everybody needs the same situation. When they're stand automatic stand by, when power goes off, it just comes on and it provides. I mean, it's like you never lost your power. It's wonderful product. The main reason I recommend Quality Home Products is because they're a standout organization when it comes to reliability and integrity. They prioritize for every client honesty and transparency. Honesty and transparency. That's why they have fourteen thousand and five star reviews and have won the Better Business Bureau's Most Prestigimous Prestigimous Prestigious Customer Service Award eight times, eight times. Twenty twenty three. They were Houston Chronicles Best of the Best in the home contractor category Family owned Operation since nineteen eighty nine. Quality TX dot com, Quality TX dot com or column seven one three Quality. We're going to go now to Tomaliah out in Walker County. Hey, Tomaliah, welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 22: Good morning. I'm calling to ask you about my Esperanza. Okay, okay, true confession. I did not take any measures to protect her through this cold that we had up here in December and January. I don't see any signs of life should I? I mean, is well you start sprouting?
Speaker 4: You might? I mean what you probably got down did you get in the low twenties or how cold did it get for you.
Speaker 22: Very low teens?
Speaker 4: Lo teens?
Speaker 23: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, Esperanza, even you know in milder areas will die back considerably in the winter, often to the ground and come back. If that crown of the plant was up a little high and exposed, and if there was no mulch piled up against it to provide a little insulation, it's possible that you lost it. I would give it a little more time, though. Let's let it warm up a little more by the end of April, for sure it. If you don't see life on it, I don't think it's coming back. Esperanza likes warm weather, and in general they're pretty cold, Harty. But boy, if you were low teens, that you may have lost it in that one. So but I wouldn't give up quite yet.
Speaker 22: Okay, okay, thank you very much. Sir, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: You bet, and in future years, by the way, tummila just a pile of big old pollo mulch over the crown of the plant. Comp could be composed or mult or whatever. Just when we're going into a coal spell, you can buy a bag of compost and just dump it on the base and then pull it back after the cold spell. You don't leave it smother it all winter, but that'll get you through. These kinds of things provide that little extra thanks a lot for your call. Nine to fives. Barricade is the product that you put down to prevent weeds. I don't care if it's a grassy weed seed coming up, a broad leaf wheat seed coming up. But remember the word is prevent. It doesn't kill existing weeds. It prevents the wheat seeds. So when it works, you don't even know it because you never saw the weed. You know, if you got a weed, you spray and kill it. Well, you see that barricade is on the ground, forming that barricade to event the weed seeds from ever getting started. And if your lawne is thin, you will have weeds wherever sunlight hits the soil. Nature plants a weed, and wherever barricade hits the soil, that weed is prevented. Now you're gonna find barricade in a lot of places like M and D Cypress on Luetta Road, Langham Creek, Ace on FM five twenty nine. That's in the Copperfield area. Kde Ace Hardware on Pinoak all examples of places they're carry nitropost products. We're going to go now talk to Joe in Spring, Texas. Hey, Joe, welcome regardline.
Speaker 24: Hey you get Hey, I've got a weed in my yard that just will not go away. I've been pulling on it for about two years now. I think it's called Sunshine the mosa. It's kind of a thorny vine with little purple flowers on it, and you know, get out there and pull it up and it just keeps coming back. Anything I can spray on that.
Speaker 4: Have you noticed when you touch the leaves, does it do they close up like they're literally folding up from touch or not?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well that is a that is a semi woody weed. Those vines are like wire, aren't they very very strong? Zach Am, I correct about that? Yeah, okay, And the giveaway is those those little catclaw dorns on it. You're going to need to do one or two things. Either hand dig it up when the soil is moist, just get a spade or a I use a soil knife underneath it and lift it up out of there, or spray it with something that is a pretty powerful broad leaf control. There's a product called trimec that will hurt your lawn if you spray it discriminately. But if you can get just a little bit on the weed leaves and you'll minimize the damage to the lawn, but it will kill them. There are also some products that have trimech in them, TRIMEC, t r IMEC, that's three different broad leaf herbicides. They will at least make it weak and sick, and they may kill it and they may not. But that's a that's a tougher weed to control. But those would be the options.
Speaker 24: Okay, So if I get it a little bit on the grass, like say you get it on a few blades of the Saint Augustine, does it tend to kill off the whole runner of Saying Augustine or just at one little spot.
Speaker 4: Well, it might. It depends on the condition of the grass. You know what I would do. If you go to my website Gardening with Skip dot com, you're gonna find two things. One is the weed wiper. I make a homemade weed wiper that you can make two and I tell you how to do it. It sponges on the end of a stick that squeezed together, and you could put the product like trimec on the weed wiper and then reach down and just squeeze that weed, trying to get it mostly on the weed. Even if you kind of lifted and pull the weed up through the grass, get it up on top and just just squeeze a little bit on the weed. That would minimize damage about as minimal as you can as you can do it.
Speaker 13: Okay, okay, okay, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Joe. Thanks Gardening Gardening with Yeah, Gardening with Skip dot com. That's where you need to go. Thanks a lot. I do appreciate your call. If you go down to the Richmond Rosenberg area and you head northward, Katie Fulsher, you're going to come across Enchanted Gardens on FM three point fifty nine, and that is a special place. You can go to the website Enchanted Gardens Richmond, Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. And you're gonna find there a lot of information. When you walk up, your jaw's gonna drop because this is a sprawled out, beautiful place that everywhere you look there's something interesting you want to go see, whether it's vegetables and herbs or flowers, beautiful color, ornamental grasses, roses, trees, shrubs, pines, whatever kind of plant that you're looking for, you're gonna find it there at Enchanted Gardens and Richmond And again it's Katief of Richmond outside of town FM three point fifty nine. While you're there, you're going to see cool stuff like containers. They have a beautiful container selection, those nice wire baskets that you line with coconut core to keep core, to keep just a gorgeous, gorgeous hanging basket underneath your trees or wherever you choose to put it. Fountains, wind chimes, whimsical yard art. I mean, it's it's all there. And then when it comes to products, remember how I always say brown stuff before green stuff. When you leave in Chana Gardens, make sure you've grabbed some fertilizer from Microlife or Nitrofoss or Nelson or Medina. Make sure you've grabbed soil products from Nature's Way or airloom soils. That mean they they know what they're doing. They know that it's important to get the soil right. At enchanted gardens in Chenne Gardens Richmond dot com. That's it. That's what you need to know. So I in my landscape this past week, I did a major renovation cleanup of the lawn. I had some lawn areas I just hadn't gotten in in mode yet and they had a lot of dead grass and them, you know from last year's leaves it got frost burned or whatever, and got it all cleaned up and ready to go. I got as much of the old stuff as I could, just with a good lower mowing, not I wouldn't say scalping, not that low, but got a good low mowing on it. And it's it's coming back green already. It looks really good, by the way. And if you are looking to get your lawn in good shape, you need to use a quality product to do that. One example of that kind of product is sweet Green sweet Greens from Nitroposs and it's an organic plant food and they've really done their homework on this many years of research and getting this formulated and done right. But it's eleven percent nitrogen product that is a sugar base, a molasses type base, and as a result, it smells good. So when you put water on it or it rains on it, it reacts with the water and releases the nutrients into the soil to promote growth of the plant. Microbes love it. Any organic gardener can tell you that molasses is something they put on the soil to support a proliferation of microbe growth, especially those good bacteria that are in the soil, to promote that optimum health and performance of your plant. Now, sweet grains available from many places, as are other nitrofoss products. So you're going to find Nitrofoss products at Ace Hardware City on Memorial Drive. You're going to find it at Aspas Ace in the Woodlands, or at ACE at Sinkle Ranch on Mason Road out there in Katie. Another quality product from the folks at Nitrofoss. If you would like to give me a call, We've got time for a quick call here before the next break. Seven to one three two one two kt RH seven to one three two one two kt r H. If you look outside, and you've got metal furniture that ain't looking its best. Okay, we used to have those kinds of chairs that are tubular metal and then you sit on the metal plates. They're always painted primary colors, you know, real pretty. When you sit them, you kind of bounce a little bit because of the curve of the legs the way the chair holds up. You know what I'm talking about. I don't know the name of them, but I know they're cool. Well, Houston Powder Coders can turn one of those into a brand new chair. What they'll do is they'll bring it in. They'll deal with any rust, if there's any wells that need fixing, they can do that. All that rusty hardware you know that bolts the chair to the leg, They'll put brand new stainless steel bolts and screws and everything on it. They make it look new. It's better, way better than painting. Powder coating is. And they have over one hundred different colors to choose from, so you can choose everything from those big old primary colors red and blue and whatever, all the way down to some real subtle antique looking colors. I mean, they have them all. They're all there and it looks really really good.
Speaker 18: Uh.
Speaker 4: They do with They deal with cast iron, they deal with rot iron, They deal with the lunum patio furniture.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: They If you've got a lamppost out in the in the landscape and you want to bring it in and have them redo it, make it new, they can do that. A railing maybe going down a porch railing or a metal railing, they can do that. They can replace the sling fabric and the vinyl straps in some of the furniture. They can do it all. Houston Powdercoders dot Com Houston Powdercoders dot com two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight. Here's what you need to do. Take a picture of your furniture, email it to sales at Houstoncoders dot com and they'll give you the results. They'll tell you exactly what it's going to cost. So pick it up and they'll deliver it in the Greater Houston Aio. When they're done, time for me to take a break. If you want to give us all so your first stop seven one three two one two ktr h. All right, folks, that is wishful thinking today walking on sunshine. All right, Well, hope you get a little bit of sunshine. We certainly don't want to complain about the rain, though it's good for our plant. Nothing like rain water top quality water you can have. Hey, if you've got some indoor plants that you need to repot, and occasionally you do need to repot your plants, or maybe you bought a new little plant and you wanted to bring it home and put it in a container, make sure you get them the soil that they need. And just like soil is important outside brown stuff before green stuff, it's true inside in jungle land, water saving potting soil from night fuss. It's distributed by night fuss. It is a quality product that drains well but holds moisture well also, so the excess strains away, but then between waterings it holds onto that moisture to provide it to the plants. Those water saving crystals are there just to do that. That is exactly what they do. Even when the soil drives out a little bit, the roots can grab a hold of those crystals and they can continue to get some moisture out until you remember or I remember to water them again. That's jungle land, now, jungle land's available from m D and Cypress on Luetta Road. If you head up to Hide and Feed on stupidor Airline, or if maybe you're in bearings hardware on Businette or on West Timer, you're going to find nitropost products. Let's head to a Taska seed one now and we're going to visit with Jennifer. Good morning, Jennifer, Welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 25: Hi, Skip, I have a bed by my house. It's about four foot by sixteen and it's on the north side of the road, I mean of the house, and so in the summer it gets full sun all day and in the winter is full shade all day. So I am trying to figure out what kind of plant I can grow there that has those kind of light requirements or we'll make it, I guess with those kind of light requirements.
Speaker 4: So it's it's shade in the winter because of the house.
Speaker 25: You're saying, yes, because of the house and where the sun is. Ok, it's shade in the winter. And then as the sun, who's it's sun in the summer.
Speaker 4: Yeah? Are you looking for a shrub or what kind of plant you're looking for?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 25: I mean a shrub would be great. I've tried a couple when they've died, and I thought, oh, well, maybe I can make it a vegetable garden and then just have it be bear in the winter. That would be another option, yeah.
Speaker 4: Or in the wintertime. In the winter you'd get some light, not direct some, but you can get a little too. You probably could grow some greens there in the winter, lettuce and spinach kinds of things. I mean, they want a little more light than that, but they might do okay. Well, there are shrubs that can take both the sun and the shade that you know. There's there's one that's a good one for under the window so burglars can't get through it. And it's called Chinese holly. It has sharp pointed leaves that are very stiff, but it'll put up with quite a bit of shade and also quite a bit of sun. Yopon will do okay in some shade too, especially during that winter time when there's not a lot of demands on the plant. And so that a dwarf jopond, talking about the little dwarf joponds, that would be a possibility. Let's see. Then the other alternative would be instead of vegetables, you could do color, you could do shade loving plants and sun loving plants is in a transition if you're doing flowers or things like that, a few of them, Yeah, just to just trade them out as you go through. So those would be I guess there are a few options that come to mind. Okay, when you know, when we say sun and shade, we're talking about the sunlight hitting the soil. But there's there's a difference in light intensity within shade. You know, you can have a shade that is very bright and so there are there are solar rays that are are light rays that are reaching the plants. Or you can have a shade that's real dark where it's hard to grow anything but monkey grass.
Speaker 25: Yeah no, I don't want monkey grass. Yeah yeah, Okay, maybe maybe the dwarf gepon good and annual in front of it, you know, and and swamp those out.
Speaker 4: You you could that that is definitely a possibility. And so what I would do if I were you is, you know, go to a go to a good quality nursery, uh and and talk to them about it, let them, let them show you what they have and you know what what's going to do. Well, you're you're not far away from Kingwood and Warren Southern Gardens both. Uh right there in Kingwood, and I think i'd run over and and take a look at them, tell them, tell them about the spot, and ask them what they have. And they're going to have some other options. There's a lot of different options on plants and things.
Speaker 25: Okay, okay, all right, well that sounds good. Maybe this year is the year I can get something in there.
Speaker 13: Okay, figger around.
Speaker 4: Thank you, there you go, there you go, you bet, Thank you for the call. Appreciate that you take care, good luck getting all that set up. Arburgate Garden Center in Tomball is a destination place. It's as simple as that. If you've got family and friends that are coming to town, take them to Arburgate. They will love it, even if they're not gardeners. They will love the gift shops that are unbelievable. They'll love the landscape bling and I'll tell you this. They're going to see a plant they like. They're going to see a rose bush. They're going to see annuals or maybe some vegetables or herbs or whatever. House plants. They have a beautiful house plant selection there. Arburgate is just west of Tombull on twenty nine tw you head out that way, just look for Trichel Road, Trischel Road and it's a little loop that goes behind Arburgate and it gets you to that back parking lot where you have all weather safe entrance and it's the easiest way to park at Arburgate. Now, while you're there, pick up their one two three completely easy system. That is a food that feeds anything with roots, a soil for any application, and a compost that don't improve any soil. Also from sand to clay. Both the soil and compost have expended shale in them, which is very important, especially in our heavy clay soils around here. If you're looking for a pollinator garden, go talk to them at Arbrogate. Those folks are They're so nice, so hopeful, and so knowledgeable, and that's important. They'll walk with you. They'll say, well, here's some plant. Come over here, let me show you this plant. This is cool. Or maybe you want to create a color combo container and they'll help you put that together. And plants that go together, plants that structurally you know, are suited to each other in a container they'll help you do all that and check out their containers because they are stunningly beautiful quality experts that will help you with any problem that you have, to help you find the solution. That's at Arburgate Garden Center. That's there just west of tom Ball again on twenty nine, twenty I love, I love going in there. I was visiting with some folks at Nelson the other day. We were talking about fertilizers and all of this, and Nelson has a couple of fertilizers that are part of their turf Star line. Turf Star just meets fertilizers designed for turf. Both of these blends can last up to six months that I'm talking about, and they are good for any turf grass you got here in the South, like let's see Saint Augustine, zoisia or beagrass, all of those they do well. One of them's Bruce's Brew. Bruce's Brew you apply it about every six months. It gives you a quick green up, but it does have some of the extended carbon sources or nitrogen sources that release over time, and that's important. Bruces Spruit. The second one is Weedinator now Weedenator's night your typical weed and feed. It is a product that has a growth regulator in it and a post emergent herbicide. So you wet the weeds or catch them right after a rain. Get those get that product. The dry granules on the weeds. They stick to the weeds because the weeds are wet. And I don't care if it's chickweed or clover or dandelion, dollar weed, grassburds, pig weed, purse lane, ragweed, you know, any of those vining weeds that are in your lawn. It'll get after them after I leave it about a day or two. And then what I would do is watered in to get that nitrogen down and other nutrients down into the soil. That's weedinator Bruce's spur and Weedinator two touch star lines from Nelson's that work. They absolutely do work. Let's see, we are kind of short here on time to take another call. When I come back from a break gym in meadows Place, You're gonna be our very first up. I want to be able to give you plenty of time to ask questions that you might have. At that point. I want to remind you that I'm gonna be at RCW Nurseries on next Saturday, the twelfth of April, from twelve noon to two pm. Come on and see me. We're gonna have some great giveaways. They always put on quite a show of giveaways and things out there at RCW Nursery. I'll be there to answer your gardening questions. This is a good time to bring me weeds and all other kinds of questions. We'll get to the bottom of it to help you have success. I'll be right back. All right, we're back. Welcome to Guardline. Good to have you with us. We're here to help you have success. Listen, it's mosquito season. When these rains are done, there are gonna be little pockets of water everywhere. And do you know that a mosquito only needs literally a capful of water for to lay an egg and reproduce and create another mosquito. So there are places everywhere where mosquitos are breeding on your property. Pest Brothers, the premiere pest control service, our company here on garden Line. They have a system that is wonderful. Just go ask them. I'm not going to describe the whole thing to you. Just go ask them about their mosquito buckets, mosquito containers, the stations. Basically, the bottom line is they attract mosquitos. They lay eggs in the buckets that never never turn into adult mosquitos. That's part of the system. Bring them in. They can't reproduce there. But the mosquito flies away with two different products on it. One of them when they land in one of those little cap full of water, places your gutters underneath the the catch basin, underneath the potted plant or bird baths or whatever where they land. They prevent mosquitoes from developing there without harm in the water to beneficial creatures like birds and cats and dogs and lady beetles and all that. And they walk away or they fly away with the disease that kills them. It's a fungal disease of mosquitoes affects mosquitoes. It's like BT and caterpillars. You know you spray BT at work because you know it's just gonna kill the caterpillars. This works on mosquitos that way. Dpestbros dot com, dpestbros dot com. You need to call them and get that system set up, because you once you get it going, then not only at your house or the mosquitos being treated, but your neighbor that has those tires in the backyard that are breeding mosquitos, the mosquitos will go over there and they'll make sure that water doesn't become a breeding station. Is that cool or what? Dpestbros dot Com two eight one, two oh six forty six seventy. Let's head to Meadows Place now and we're going to visit with Jim this morning. Hey, Jim, welcome back to garden Line.
Speaker 19: Thanks skip, good morning. About three weeks ago, I bought two six inch high to make a plant at Southwest Fertilizer. Brought a home transplant them in uh ten gallon containers. They're growing well. They're about three four feet high now and I've been trimming off the low suckers and anything touching the ground. My question is pruning them topping them out? What do I need to do to increase the fruit production.
Speaker 4: Well, the less you prune, the more fruit you will get, but it will become a jumble of vines. The fruit will be smaller and a little slower to reach maturity. The more you prune. Like tomatoes that are steak, they just have one trunk, that's it. Anything else coming off that you cut off and you just leave that steak, you get bigger fruit, earlier fruit, but less fruit. So there's a trade off. And generally, Jim, what I'll do on my vines is I'll allow them to have two or three or four maybe shoots coming out and then use as we call it, suckering them. Wherever a leaf comes off the vine, a shoot comes out right there, we pinch those out or break those off, or prune those off, and just sort of manage the number of vines that that plant can have, and that there's not a right or wrong number. There's you know, we got cherry tomatoes, and we got slicer tomatoes, and we got paste tomatoes, and each type is a little different. But basically you're doing selective removal of those shoots to keep it at a minimum so it's not just full of just solid, dense leaves everywhere.
Speaker 19: I understand. That's that's about what I've been doing. My question is they're getting getting really tall now they're topping them out to help or not.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, if you could fertilizing them and watering them, they wouldn't do that. You need to stick them in a bed full of gravel and tell them good luck. No, I seriously, on those you can top them and the side shoots then become the main shoots. What I'll do I usually grow mine on a fence kind of thing or in a very tall cage. I'll just let those shoots trail back down to the ground again and then cut them off there. Don't don't worry about don't be afraid of them draping on over.
Speaker 13: Okay, I understand, appreciate the hell, thank you sir.
Speaker 4: All right, Jim. Now, Jim, you know the rule on guard line is you got to give me half the produce if I've give you free advice.
Speaker 15: So I'll give you half.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go. Take care man. Appreciate the call for sure. Up in Willis is a garden center that if you live anywhere around there. I mean I'm talking about Willis or Tomball, I'm talking about the lake communities, you know, April Sound Belt, Water Point of Quarius, all those. I'm talking about New Waverley, anywhere in the area, even Conrad in the Woodlands. Growers outlet in Willis is the place, and that is also their website. Growers outlet in Willis. Now, why is that important? Well, you go to the website and they, unlike almost any other source you're gonna find, they'll tell you what's in stock now on the website, and they'll tell you how much it costs. If you want to go check it out. Check it out Growers Outlet in Willis. They're on Highway seventy five, just south of Willis, just a few minutes from Interstate forty five, easy to get to, and they have a wide variety of everything. Whether you're looking for vegetables and herbs to flower beds to giant, gorgeous hanging baskets, to shrubs and trees and fruit, they've got it all a Growers Outlet in Willis. They also carried the products to go with your plants, you know, the fertilizers and soils and things like that. And they have a wonderful little gift shop in there too with some nice home and garden related items and locally sourced honey, pickled foods, jellies and jams, bath and beauty products. It's just a fun place to shop. Growers Outlet in Willis. That's it. That's all you need to know. Good do me this favorite. Just write that website down and go check it out. See what I'm talking about about availability and pricing and everything. Growers outlet in Willis dot com. That's a website. I think it's pretty cool. I was talking earlier about Nature's Way Resources and the products that they have. You know, in Nature's Way they back products, So you can go there and buy them by the bag and bring them home, or you can go to they sell by the bag and a lot of different retail outlets around the Greater Houston area. Or you can go and take an empty pickup or trailer and pick up bulk product. Maybe you want a lot of leaf mole compost, or maybe you want a lot of fungal based compost, or maybe you need one of the many quality mulching products that they sell there in Nature's Way Resources for your bets, or you can call them and have them deliver it. They can do that too, however you want to go about it. The main thing is get that organic matter to your house, put the composts in the soil, put the mulches on top of the soil, and create that natural environment that plants were designed to thrive in. It's just as simple as that Nature's Way Resources dot Com. Nature's Way Resources dot Com two eight or excuse me nine three six two seven three twelve hundred nine three six two seven three twelve hundred in there. Their new renovated website, Nature'sway Resources dot Com is really cool. It's very helpful, a lot of good information on there. So go out and see Ian and you know, the whole gang out there, and they're very helpful, very friendly, and they can when you tell them what you're wanting to do. You know, like you may say, well, I want to grow azelias or I want to grow blueberries. They go, we have a soil for that, and they do. They have a soil for acid living plants. Or maybe you're wanting to grow something that needs a very gritty drained, well drained mix, like a cacti or succulent type of blend. Whatever you need, Nature's Way Resources is going to be able to provide that, no no hesitation at all on my part. And recommending them as a quality source for soil products. Well, let's see here we are about to put this hour in the books, and so I want to mention that I'm going to be at RCW Nursery's next Saturday, that is the twelfth of April Saturday. For twelfth I'll be there from twelve noon to two hours. There, I'll be answering your gardening questions. Last time I was out there, people had bagfuls of weeds and plants and you know what kind of plant? What is this? How do I get rid of it? Or I like this, how do I get more? People brought pictures on their phones, like you know, here, here's my neighbor has this beautiful blooming shrub. Do you know where I can get one of those? Or what that is? Or here's an area my landscape that I just can't get grass to grow, or I can't get flowers to bloom or whatever. That's what we're there for. We're there to eye, to have a good time and answer your gardening questions. And we'll be giving away a lot of cool giveaways too, right there from RCW Nurseries. And when you're out there, you're going to be able to pick up that rose bush that you can't live without, because they have plenty of those trees and shrubs. Maybe if it's a big tree, you know, you may have them come out and plant it. For you. You know, there's a certain sized plant that I can plant, and if it gets bigger than that, I'm in great danger of helping my chiropractor put their kids college, if you know what I'm saying. Because I think I can lift that, I think I can lift it. It's like that Toby Keith song, I ain't as good as I once was. Well, anyway, they'll come out and plan them for you. They've got the equipment, they know how to do it, and then they have all the supplies you need for planting shrubs and trees. And by the way, get that thing done now so that it has as much time as you can give it before weather gets really really hot. The best time to plan tree is forty years ago, the second best times today. That's kind of how we look at it. All Right, we're listening to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter. We're about to put this one in the books this hour, that is, and the books will be back with your questions and calls after that. So if you want to go ahead and get on the boards, you can be one of the first up seven to one three two one, two fifty eight seventy four or seven one three two one two KTRH and you can go about it that way. Now, today's a rainy day, so I know a lot of you aren't going to be getting out and doing a lot of yard work and things like that. But there are things you can do. You can take care of your house plants. Take a look at those. Lay the pot over, slide them out of the pot. Look at the roots. You know, are the is the pot so filled with roots that it's just like this white water roots. It's time to repot that thing. You need to get that done. Is the are the roots looking like they're rotten and brown? And water salt probably over the water. And check your house plants out, look them, look for past, look through all the things. Take advantage of a rainy day.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Scared Ricter.
Speaker 3: It's just watch him as doubles.
Speaker 2: Sad.
Speaker 4: Well, well, well, welcome back, Welcome back to guard line. Good to have you with us. We got lots of things we can be talking about today, and we are. We're going to be talking about the things you are interested in. If you'd like to give us a call. Seven one three two one two KTRH seven one three two one two KTRH. Now, Nitroposs has a product called Imperial. It is the red orange bag, reddish orange bag, the fifteen five ten immediately released fertilizer. You put it down, you watered in, it dissolves the nutrients, it puts them in the root system and really than a day or two that the basically the plan is already taken those things up, so it gives you a quick result. You can use it at any time in the season you want. I mean, you could use it all through the season if you want to do it in small amounts over time, kind of creat your own manual slow release by just putting little that's out here and there. Primarily we use it for a good quick greenup and I'll often put something like that down as the first application of the year for the you know, the good quick results. And now's a good time to do it too. By the way. Nitrofis Imperial fifteen to five to ten available in places all over the Greater Houston area like D and D Feed and tom Ball Fisher's Hardware on Southmore in Pasadena, M and D and Beamer in Sagemont area. Let's head out now to Peerland, and we're going to talk with Troy. Hey, Troy, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 11: The Born and Scap.
Speaker 4: Morning.
Speaker 21: I add just a couple of questions for you. One is related to vi burnhams. I have a beautiful stand of them for probably four years now, and last year I got white flies in them real bad, and I got this black coating it seemed like on the leafs that I just could not ever get rid of until the winter and we had the big freeze. We cover them up well, but we still got a.
Speaker 15: Bit of burns.
Speaker 21: I trim most of that out, but I noticed the white flies are back, but the new growth is looking really healthy. So one, what do I treat the white flies with? And then two, now I am seeing what looks like a healthy limb. All of a sudden, the leaves are just starting to droop on.
Speaker 15: Them, and I have no idea what's that?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well that's a you got a couple of good complex questions there. First of all, the white flies. There are things that kill white flies, but they also killed the things that control white flies for you. And oftentimes what happens is you get on this treadmill of pesticide where you're killing white flies, and then you end up with a white fly outbreak because the things that were helping keep them somewhat in check are now gone, and the white flies come back faster, and so you're just you're kind of on a treadmill. I generally try to avoid that if possible. One way to avoid it is to use the systemic product that goes up in the plant, drenched on the roots, goes up in the plant, and anything sucking juice is out of the plant, whether it's scale or white flies, whether it's mealy bugs or aphids, is gonna receive that poison through the sap of the plant instead of nukenhole plant with a pesticide, So that that's one option. Another option would be to just treat regularly, and there's insecticides. There's things like horticultural oil sprayed on the undersides of the leaves that kills the eggs and the pupa of the white fly. They're underneath the leaf hiding. They're not the white things you see flying around, but they're part of the life cycle of that insect. So those would be a couple of options on the white flies. I like the systemic a little better because it doesn't It doesn't affect the lady beetles and lace wings and parasitoid wasps and other things that are helping keep those in check. As far as the wilting leaves, that just means water is not getting to that branch. It could be due to a damaged root. It could be due to a canker on the stem. That's that's shut down the pipeline from the root to the top. You know, there are different things, but the bottom line is if you've got a healthy plant and one shoot is turning brown or wilting, let's say at this point it's just wilting, follow that shot back and look at it real carefully and see if you see sunken areas or splits in the bark. It may have been that the coal snap we went through this year, that that you did get some tissue damage, and you would just print it off below that tissue damage and that would be all you have to do.
Speaker 21: All right, Great, any recommendation on the systemic, well, well pretty much.
Speaker 4: Now you know we're looking at emido cloprid. That is a product that is the ingredient. It's not the brand. It's sold in a lot of different brands, and so you just have to you know, you just have to wherever you shop, go and look for meadow meadow cloprid. Now you're let me see you are down You're in pair Land, is that right? Okay? Yeah? Uh, So you've got you've got a number of ACE hardware stores in your region there that you can go to that are probably going to carry a product that contains a meadow cloapred on it. There is an M and D on a beamer. Uh that's not too far away from you. Uh, they're kind of friends would area, So I would I'd probably I'd suggest I'm sorry, I said friends with They're they're up at gosh, the Beltway, Sammuston Tollway around the and then okay, good yeah, and then down Uh there's an ACE on Edgewood Drive to there in friends with It. So anyway, well it's not hard to find them. Just just look for the if the ingredient begins with I am I d o im me, Oh that's the right product.
Speaker 21: I'm gonna give it a shot. The one final question for you, I would really like to plant a couple of blue balcony Boganvillion.
Speaker 20: And I am.
Speaker 21: My research is suggesting now that it may not differ. Have you heard of it?
Speaker 13: If so, could you get it?
Speaker 11: Or is it just a myth?
Speaker 4: You said, balcony blue balcony.
Speaker 21: Balcony, Yeah, sir, if you if you google it, the images are just beautiful and it's the perfect color for what.
Speaker 11: I'm looking for. But I can't find it anywhere.
Speaker 4: Well, I've not seen that one before. What I would do if I were you is call Moss Nursery. They're just you know, east of you there in Seabrook. They carry a lot of different plants like that, and I would I would say do you have it or can you get it? And they'll be able to tell you yes or no on that. That's probably the simplest, fastest way to to to check it out. Yeah, that that would be that. Probably as far as selection they're they're probably gonna be as good as you're gonna get there.
Speaker 21: I was there a few weeks ago, but I didn't have it on my list at the time. But I did go by a stand a fars and they said they haven't seen it years.
Speaker 4: Okay, well yeah you may not if they didn't. If they hadn't seen it. You know, the mosque carries a lot of stuff. Or you may just call R. C. W. Nursuy too. They have a really good selection of bougainville is up there. I'm just trying to think of other places. Someone may go, well, let me go look for it and see if I can find it, but that that'd be my best suggestions. Okay, appreciate you. Yeah, I've got to I've got a YouTube. Take care, appreciate that. I'll be right back, folks. Oh man, I don't know when the last time I played some bond job here on garden Line. Hey, we're glad you're with us. Would you like to ask a question or just brag about the tomatoes? Jagury last year seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two ktrh. Now we'll bragging in moderation. We're not gonna listen to too much of that. But I know how it is as gardeners, you know that is right? You know what the best garden I've ever had in my life is my next one. It is gardeners are optimists. And when I look at a seed catalog, when I'm in a garden center, walking through looking at plants. I can just tell you that tomato right there, it's going to be six feet tall and have eight hundred thousand tomatoes on it, and they're all going to be perfect size and perfect shape. I can see it in my mind's eye. Now, reality doesn't always turn out that way, but we're dreamer because we've had those kind of seasons before. That's a good thing about gardening. Keeps you young, that's for sure, keeps you young. I mentioned moss nursery while ago I was talking to somebody about, you know, finding a particular kind of plant, and moss nursery is it's unique. It's just unique. You may think you've been to all kinds of garden centers. If you haven't been to a moss nursery, you haven't been to all kinds of garden centers. This is eight acres, family operated, seventy year old garden center that you wandered through and around each corner. Is something you didn't expect. And of course they have all the kinds of plants, you know, flowers and trees and hanging baskets and vegetables and herbs and houseplant. Their houseplant sections like second to none. Everything you're looking for, our fruit, trees and shrubs and so on. They have it all there. But it's just a pleasure to wander through and do. And the folks there, they are knowledgeable. I've been there more than once, and you know, visiting with someone working there and they're a master gardener and they're just doing. They're working there because they has love plants, you know, they love that. They're enthusiastic and they help you. I mean twenty different kinds of aalias. You know, hadranges and just everywhere you look, whatever you're looking for, they've got it. You may walk in and go, Yeah, while back, my neighbor had this thing that was blooming, didn't have any leaves on it, and you know I'd like to plant one. Well, the blooms are gone now, right, But they can point you to the plant. You're probably talking about a deciduous magnolia. They can put you in touch with it, tell you how to plant it, tell you how to take care of it. MOS Nursery Seabrook or Toddville Road, Seabrook, Texas maas Nursery dot Com two eight one, four seven four twenty four eighty eight. We're going to go now and talk to Sharon. Hello, Sharon, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 26: Good morning.
Speaker 5: I want to know what I can use to kill poison ivy?
Speaker 4: All right, where is it growing? What good plant is nearby?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 7: It was just among a lot of jew in the groundcover and a lot of weeds.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, Well, h wandering jew is hard to kill. So you probably kill the poison ivy and not killed the wandering jew. But I would what I would do is, well, let me ask you one more question. Does it have a trunk on it, you know, like as big as your little finger or larger or is it just a little little tiny thin things coming out of the ground. Well, it's smaller, yeah, smaller. Okay, I would use a product containing trichlop here t R I C l O P y R. Now, there's a publication on my website, and my website is Gardening with Skip dot com. It's a free publication. It's called Herbicides for Skips weed Wiper and you can see how to build a weed wiper. It's easy to build. I mean, you don't you don't have to have tools and all that to do it.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: And and then the herbicized to put on it, and for whatody weeds like pepperbine and poison ivy and hackberry seedlings and all that. Tricle Peer is listed and the brands of triclo peer are also listed. So you can just print that out off the web, take it with you when you go shopping. And uh, if you get the tricle Peer on desirable plants, it's probably going to kill them too. So the weed wiper allows you to get it just on the poison ivy leaves without having to touch them. So anyway, those are your options.
Speaker 27: Sharon, Okay, very good, Skip, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you, Bet, thanks a lot. Appreciate appreciate your call a lot.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 4: Someone's the other day again is asking me about what are trace minerals. I don't understand this. What do you mean by trace? And what I mean by trace is that you only need a little of them. But the fact that you'll need a little doesn't mean it's not essential, right. I mean, you don't need a lot of vitamin D in your body, but if you had none, you'd have a creek, right, because it's essential. Well, trace minerals. He's not a mineral. I know that asmite is a mind product that contains trace minerals, and you put it down. You can do it once twice a year, whatever you need. A soil test really would tell you exactly what you need. But uh, most people will put it down when they fertilize, but you can do it anytime. It doesn't have to be done in conjunction with fertilizing, but it provides those trace minerals that are needed in small amounts, but that are essential. Basically, what you're doing is you're putting into your soil bank account all the things that you're gonna need when that grass starts making its withdrawals, and therefore you have healthy plants from azemite. Let's see here. I'm going to go now to Bill in the Houston area. Hey, Bill, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 20: Thanks Skip. I have a magnolia tree. It's about twenty feet tall and probably got about a ten inch circumference base. But yesterday I picked up a thirty gallon trash bag full of leaves off the ground. It just started dropping leaves over the last week or so, and I'm just wondering what may be going on.
Speaker 4: Okay, are the leaves at the end of the branch is still green, and on there it's the older leaves dropping.
Speaker 20: It's kind of on one branch every leaf is gone I noticed this morning, But most of them are are older leaves, and there's still lots of leaves on the tree.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, you know I'm not there looking at the tree and digging around everything. But my best guess, I think what you're looking at is normal transition leaf drop Magnolia's in the spring, as new growth starts coming, they drop all the old leaves. That that is. For some magnolias, that is a very dramatic drop. In some years it's a very dramatic drop, and for other magnolias in other years it's not as dramatic. But that's nothing to be concerned about. Now, when you have a branch with no leaves, something else is going on. Could be a freeze crack from freezing. It could be I don't know, a borer in the branch, or a canker killing the bark around the branch. But if you want, I can put you on hold and you can take a picture of it. Take me a picture of the whole plant. Then take some kind of up close, you know, showing the question I was asking, which leaves uh, And I'll be happy to take a second look and see if I see anything else on it. How about that?
Speaker 20: Well, I may have to do that after a while. I'm out running some errands. But I thought i'd give you. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, no need, no need to do it at all, and no problem, no rush, I'm going to put you on hold if you want to do that, just hang on and Jonathan will get you an email. Appreciate your call. Yeah. Magnolias and live oaks do that. And I had two live oaks in my front yard and one of them each year it dropped leaves, but it's still had this full canopy. The other one almost went completely bare every year. Genetically different trees growing in the same yard. I don't know why, but it's it's just nature. It's what nature does. Not at all unusual to see that kind of thing. Well, I mentioned it was gonna rain today, right, It probably is raining today where you are right now, most areas are getting some Mosquito dunks are a really handy product that have been around for a long time. You can find them everywhere, you know, ace. Hardware stores are going to have them, Your nurseries are going to have them, your feed stores are going to have them. They're widely available. Mosquita dunks like a little small beige donut. It floats in water. And you know, you got this little pond out there, it's kind of still water, it's not moving. Well, that's where mosquitoes like to lay their eggs. Throw throw one onto the water. It floats and it releases a bacterium that is toxic to mosquito larva. It is not toxic to birds or fish, or the family pet or anything out, dragonflies, anything else that's around the water. It is specific to mosquito larva. So one dunk covers one hundred square feet for about thirty days or more as it slowly dissolves away. They also have a granular farm that you can scatter in smaller areas. But if you underneath the catch basins on your plants where water tends to stand, it works. Mosquito dunks again widely available. They work. Look for them in a garden center and a hardware store, a nursery, a feed store near you. Let's see, we're going to head out now to Tomball and talk to John. Hey John, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 15: Good morning, skiff, thank you. I've got to arbigate coming in to playing about ten Eagleston's hollies. So I've got to move to a yellow rose bush. So am I just fighting and losing battle here with this this time of year?
Speaker 13: Or is it doable?
Speaker 4: It's it's doable. It wouldn't be the time I would choose if I were given choices, but you know here we are, and so I would go ahead and give it a try. Uh is it a it's not a vine, it's not a tree climbing rose, it's a bush, correct?
Speaker 15: Correct?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay? And about how long has it been in? More than three years?
Speaker 15: It's probably been in about two years?
Speaker 4: Two years?
Speaker 15: All right?
Speaker 4: All right? Well are you going to immediately replant it in another location?
Speaker 15: Yes? Yes, before the come yeah?
Speaker 4: Good. So what I do is go to the new spot, go ahead and dig the hole to get ready for it. But when you dig the rose bush, you want to go wider rather than deeper. So if you even get eight inches deep, that's plenty deep for the rose. But I will dig all the way around it, and then I will kind of dig underneath it with a flat shovel, not the curve shovel, but a flat one, and slicing the roots underneath it as you kind of lean the bush one way now for me, using twine or something to pull all the rose branches together and upwards so they look, you know, they look like a rocket coming out of the ground rather than a spreading bush. That makes it easier to get in and work around it. I slide a tarp underneath it as far as I can get it, and then I go to the other side and start digging the roots, cutting the roots as I go under it, and slide that bush onto the tarp. And you can drag it with quite a bit of soil that way without hurting your back to the new location. Slide it right into the ground planet make sure it's the same depth it was watered in really really well. And if you got some sort of a a light shade that you could cast over it, you know, a shade cover or something you could even be like the spun down polyester fabrics, something to just give it a little break from the sun while it gets some roots in. After two or three weeks of that, you can you can pull the cover off. But if you keep it moist, remembering that you've cut off most of the roots, keep the roots that are there moist, I think you're gonna find that you have really good success with that.
Speaker 15: Perfect thank you.
Speaker 4: They like today be a good day. Yeah, today be a good day to do it with all the overcast guys in rain. But I suspect you may not be interested and do it that today. Anyway, there you go. Hey, I gotta go to I gotta go to a break, folks. I'll be right back. Oh boy, I'm looking out the window right now and this rain, rhythm of the rain. Hey, we'll be glad we had it later. I wish we could bottle it up and keep it for July and August, but it is what it is. Right Welcome back to garden Line. Good to have you with us. Hey, if you haven't been down to Jorges Hidden Gardens down, you got to go. Orge just keeps making that place better and better and better. I mean he specializes in all kinds of trees, shrubs, things like that, because every kind of plan do you need a fruit tree? Peaches and on and on through the fruit tree, including ceteras too. By the way, and blueberries and whatnot. He's got that, He's got pretty much. The rose selection is really it's really excellent. I love the what is the Oh gosh, I got one in the backyard, Peggy Martin, Peggy Martin rose. Jory's got some wonderful Peggy Martin roses that just look excellent. And so anyway, yeah, that would be a good place to stop today. Jorge, starting at nine pm or nine am, they're going to have a herb gardening program there. It's free at Jorge's Hidden Gardens. It's on Elizabeth Street in Alvin. Elizabeth Street in Alvin, So if you're in Alvin, you're heading down towards Santa Fe direction. It's about halfway and then you turn off to the right to get to Hora Hidden Gardens. He also saw I got in some really beautiful bottle brush plants. A boy, the pollinators, the bees love those things, absolutely love those things. Anyway, go by and see it, say hey, hooray for us. And while are you there, you can get the three sixty tree stabilizer that is outstanding for securing and making sure your trees are off to the best start that they can get. Let's go to the phones. Now we're gonna go talk to Susan. Hey, Susan, welcome to garden line.
Speaker 16: Well hi there skip log time, no talk. How are you to everybody?
Speaker 13: Anybody?
Speaker 14: Okay, and nobody wants it?
Speaker 16: Okay, this load tree. Do you have the pictures?
Speaker 15: I hope.
Speaker 4: Uh, well i'm I'm I have the email, but there's no pictures attached.
Speaker 22: That won't work.
Speaker 13: Then okay, yeah, well.
Speaker 4: So I guess, uh the board pictures. Yeah. What you need to do, Susan on this is attach the email. Don't embed that, don't like paste it in the text, but attach it using that little paper club when you do send it and I think I'll get it that way, okay.
Speaker 16: Okay, because I said that's what you mean, right the leaves and then.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, what whatever you want to ask questions about and call me back once you get it. Once you get it here, okay, thank you. M mmmm. Well, while we're talking about the emails and stuff, just so you know, I'm not able to just type answers to emails, so I can't do the pempal thing during the week. But if you have a question and I can attach a picture, uh, if not, just the question. Go ahead and send it to me and then follow it up with a call on Saturday Sunday morning on Guarden Line and we'll talk about it. We'll make sure and get it solved that way. I just the volume of email and the work that I do during the week as well, there's just no way I can tackle you know, just do an email typing back and forth. Plus I'm a slow typer. That's another thing. When you send me an email, always attach it rather than embed it. Embed it means pasting it in the text. It is very hard for me. Sometimes I open them and I can't see the whole picture without me saving it and then reopening the safe out and I just can't do all that at once while I'm trying to do the radio. So if you will attach it using the paper club thing, then I can open it up and I can take a good look at it. All right. I want to help you as best we can. I think that's the way we can do it. Year round Houston, year round Houston dot com. Now that's year around Houston is the name of the company. It's also the website, Year round Houston dot Com. They're specialist when it comes to corroorating and compost top dressing. They know to do it. Now you can do those kinds of things yourself. You're very cumbersome to do. You gotta rent a machine, you gotta transport it. And when you get done, you've got pose a compost in the driveway. You got to clean all that up. It's a dusty mess. Then you got to clean up the machine, send it back or take it back and just have year run Houston come out and do it. They basically cover the area for our garden line audience here inside the beltway, okay inside the beltway. So the website year round Houston dot com, the phone number eight three two eight eight four fifty three thirty five, they'll come out. They use only quality screened plant based compost, no stink to it. It easily settles down into the lawn. And when you do a cororation and a compost top dressing on top of it, that very dense clips you're dealing with will be enhanced. If you're dealing with a compacted soil, it is absolutely essential if you're going to get out of the compaction problem, to do the correoration and the compost top dressing and you can do that repeatedly over a period of years, however you want to go about it. But it does literally breathe life back into the lawn because you're bringing oxygen down into the root system which it couldn't get before because of the compactically soil year around Houston dot com eight three two eight eight four fifty three thirty five. If you would like to give me a call today, the phone number is seven to one three two one two KTRH seven one three two one two k t RH. I want to remind you that my schedule is online if you if you want to see a copy of my lawn care schedule and my lawn past disease and we'd management schedule. Excuse me fading in and out here because I'm trying to reach for something. Both of them are online. You go to Gardening with Skip dot com Gardening with Skip dot com and you'll find them there. There's a lot of other information on that website too. By the way, I definitely need to check it out Gardening with Skip dot Com. Lots of good free information that I've put on there that will help you have success, help you have a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape and more fun in the process.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 4: That's that's the way we look at it. But go to gardening with Skip dot com. Look at my publications that are on there. Look at the schedules, and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about now, the new schedule, or the schedule that's been on there for a while, rather the lawn care schedule. If you look at it first of all, you can download it as a PDF and print it out. I'll talk to people all the time that have put it in their garage by their fertilizer spread or on the refrigerator or whatever. You will see that year now in the time when we start applying that slow release fertilizer to our lawns. And one of the products that I highly recommend is Nitropas super Turf Nitrofass Superturf. It's a silver bag. It's a nineteen four nine okay, nineteen excuse me, four to ten, sorry, nineteen four to ten fertilizer in a silver that's the easiest, the silver bag. You walk into an ACE hardware store, you look across the store, you see the silver bags way over there. It's only bag like that. Nitrofas super turf. You put it out at about five pounds per thousand square feet and it's going to feed your lawn for four months gradually. That's you know, when we dump a whole bunch of fast release fertilizer, a whole bunch of it right on the ground, Well, the grass can't take all that up at once, and we lose a lot of it. So when you do a slow release, the grass is taking up nutrients every day. And you want a fertilizer that's gradually releasing every day. That's super turf. And you're going to find it in places like plants for all seasons on Luetta. You're gonna find it at Ace Hardware, Sinco Ranch or M and Dace on Luetta. H those are all examples of places where you're gonna find nine to five super turb alrighty, well, let's see, I wanted to grab a phone call, but I don't quite have time. So when we come back, Doug and Richmond, you'll be first up, followed by William in beat eyes. Ooh, the metropolis of beat Iyes. Looking forward to.
Speaker 2: That is what my Brad says.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, you can uh huh, I can relate to that what Toby ddenttey is. When you go ahead and do it the next morning, your body says, that's right, that's right. Welcome back to Garden Line. Good to have you with us. Spring Creek Feed in Magnolia on FM twenty nine to seventy eight Grand Parkway and Highway two forty nine, just a few minutes away from Grand Parkway in two forty nine. This is one heck of a feed store. Beautiful inside you walk in, just like is this a feed store? He is so beautiful inside, all the different indoor giftings and you know, just an anything you can imagine really to decorate and around the place. But then you look left and you see feed everywhere. And then you look right and you see garden everywhere. Garden supplies, herbicides, fungicides, pesticides, fertilizers like turf Star from Nelson, Microlife, nitrofoss. They carry all of those products there at Spring Creek Feed. If you're an FFA or four h raising livestock, or if you're military or senior citizens, their discounts for you. Spring Creek will special order and they do have a delivery service as well. Again in Magnolia on FM twenty nine seventy eight just minutes away from Graham Parkway in Highway two forty nine. That is Spring Creek Feed. Let's head out to Richmond and talk to Doug. Hey, Doug, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 14: Thank you very much, Skip, Good morning morning. I have a q about leaf miners. My citrus started started sprouting fresh leaves about a month ago, and all four trees have got nice now full sized leaves and they're hardened up. Okay, but I want to know the trigger for leaf miners. Is it weather temperature? When do they start proliferating? And I'm going to get in touch in control of it with the spinosad this year. And yeah, only spinosad, no knee oil.
Speaker 4: And okay, Doug. So basically, leaf miners like tender succulent growth, as you indicated, and so whenever you have a flush, you're gonna have leaf miners around. They have they go through their life cycle. They when they finish in a leaf, they drop out on the ground, pupate, and then they're right back in the area again. So they're flying around looking for tender growth. So pretty much they're there all the time through this summer. Uh and so when you have that growth, treating spraying with spinosid as you indicated, just that growth, that's the way you need to go. Okay, well that sounds like that spinosa will so it'll soak in. Yeah, it'll soak into those tender tissues, and so spray both sides of the lead. Not necessary, but I would do it just to be sure.
Speaker 21: Uh.
Speaker 4: And that's it. You can get ahead of those things. Just remember too that if you've got a good sized ceentrus tree that's healthy and strong, they're not going to really hurt it much. I mean, they make it look bad, but the bottom line is they're not going to make you have less citrus because the amount of damage they do is not enough. Now, if it's a little young tree you're trying to get to grow, yes, yeah, don't don't let them set it back. I hope that helps. Uh. I do have a question, Yeah, you might. You might want to protect them, Okay, I just uh you're just gonna need to, uh give them a little more time on the flowers. They should if they have sunlight, sunlight and time on a cetrus, you should be getting blooms. Uh. If you want to send me some pictures of them. I'm gonna put you on hold and my producer can give you an email if you're want to send me some pictures of what you're seeing. Maybe I'll see something else and I'll be happy to do that. Sorry to have to run so fast on us here Heirloom Soils. If you're looking for a quality soil product, no question from beginning to end, whether it's composted cocoa core, fruit berry and citrus mix, bed mixes for the landscape. If you're looking for veggie and herb mix. Maybe you have cacti and succulents and you want a specific blend for that, or a potting soil called the works or rose bloomer roses and bloomers blend covers roses and all the other kinds of plants like that. Heirloom Sail has got premium, top of the line premium. You're going to find the bags all over the place and garden centers near you. Just go to heirloomsoils dot com. Heirloomsoils dot com. Learn about these products, look at their calculators, see you know how much to get, and then call them and have a delivery, have them bring out a supersack or find out where you can get them by the bag, because it's on the website Heirloomsoils dot com. We're gonna head out to beat Eyes now and talk to William. Hey, William, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 28: I'm fine, I'm really in Plantersville.
Speaker 4: Oh pleasure. Okay, all right, I got a question.
Speaker 19: We had improved berry vines.
Speaker 28: I have blooms and they have little berries starting. How many should I trim some of these off?
Speaker 19: The berries?
Speaker 4: You tell about strawberries each all about strawberries, blackberries? Oh no, don't trim any of them off? No, no, leave them all. The plants can handle.
Speaker 15: Half about the twelve little berries on them.
Speaker 4: Yeah they do. How long have these plants been in the ground?
Speaker 28: About two years?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, no, leave them that's okay. Just fertilize those things. Fertilize them with a good lawn fertilizer, and keep those things vigorous and growing, keep competition down, and you'll be good to go. All righty okay, okay?
Speaker 15: What about putting a's and mine around a pear tree?
Speaker 26: Will that hurt it?
Speaker 13: Called fireblight?
Speaker 4: They won't hurt it. No, it won't hurt it just no, it won't affect the fire blight at all. Just do it at the label according according to the label rate, and don't overdo it. William, I'm sorry, I'm up against a heartbreak here, but appreciate. I appreciate your call very much.
Speaker 25: Uh.
Speaker 4: Nelson Plant Food has the jars of product that are nutri Star line. The Nelson Plant Food has some excellent products. Bet they got one that's for vegetable gardens. They got one for the zalias and acid living plants. There's one for food areas. There's one for boog and villias. You know we're entering their season right now. It just goes on and on. It doesn't matter what kind of plant you want to fertilize. Nelson Plant Food nutri Star jars or the way to go. And there's a dozen places around town where you can take that old jar back in and you can refill it to save little money and quit throwing the quick having to throw the plastic away. It really it really works good. I think it's an ingenious thing that they've come up with to do that. Nelson products, you can depend on them. They work and I can tell you that because I use them I've seen. I've seen the results that they produce, and they're excellent. Earlier I was talking about containers. Everybody ought to have a container on the patio. It's it's important to create beauty. The nice thing about containers is they're versatile. They don't look good. Just take them out around behind the garage, put a new container in, or pull the plants out and put new plants in. Jungle Land potting mix is a quality product. It's called flour and Vegetable planting soil. It's an outdoor version of jungle land. It drains well, it holds water well, it holds nutrients well. It's just a good product. It's a good product and you're gonna find it in a lot of places. Use it to make those containers beautiful. Remember when you plant a container here in our area, make it an exercise larger or two in our heat going through the summer. It helps reduce stress that you don't have. The water is often and with jungle land you will have that water holding capacity and success. You're going to find it like other Nilsen products, You're going to find them in places like Chented Gardens at in Richmond Rosenberg area, the Plantation, Ace Hardware and the Richmond Rosenberg area. You're going to find it Aspase Ace in the Woodlands or Ace Hardware City on Memorial Drive. They work, and you ought to have more containers this year. Every year I add a container to the landscape because they're just beautiful. You can grow vegetables and containers. You can grow flowers and containers. They're just a wonderful, versatile way to garden. I like that, and we ought to have more. And by the way, if you get tired of watering your containers all the time, get you a drip irrigation system. They are not hard to find, they are not hard to set up. I have some that are just on a hose beb and there's a little timer on the hose bill and I tell it to water once or twice a day, depending on the containers and where they are, or every other day. You just set it and forget it, and the hose goes along the ground. A little tube comes up and goes into the container, and it takes care of it, and your place looks good. You know how when we forget somety like the other day, I forgot to water a tomato that's in a container and it wilted. Do you know what that means? It means that I'm going to have less production. And now the plant worked back up when I watered it, but it went into that stress. It was trying to set fruit, trying to develop prood. Who knows, I'm have blossom ind right now on that thing. Get you an automatic irrigation system on that and it'll work really well. Just a tip for those of you who are gardening in containers, whether it's herbs or vegetables or flowers or anything that you're growing. If you've not been out to Enchanted Forest in the Richmond Rosenberg area, you really need to go. This is This is the kind of nursery you take your friends too and they come and visit. It is outstanding, just beautiful. When you drive up, you feel like it's almost like you've entered an old Western town. You know, the storefronts and things like that, and then you walk in the beautiful shade trees to stroll under as you shop. It is Tanny Forest is great and when you go in, oh my gosh. Someone called me the other day or emailed me the day and they were looking for they have a certain kind of plant. They were looking for caterpillars for that plant, and I was just I told you go out to in Channet Forest. Actually they were asking about the caterpillars. I said, we'll just go there. They'll give you a starter, and they will. They had the best selection of pollinator plants and butterfly plants that you're gonna find anywhere. And they, of course because they have them all the butterflies. No, you ask a butterfly. You me and Santoni and ask a butterfly. They go, oh, yeah, go to in Channa Forest over there. They all show up there and you get to take the plant home with your starter caterpillar if you want to bring it home with you. They have a beautiful selection right now of roses too, by the way, Oh they're gorgeous. Clem How many of you tried clemitis? You can actually grow a clemitus here. You want to put it in a spot where it has afternoon shade and morning sun and moltz the roots really good and give it the best chance of success. But they have those here, beautiful annual color plants. They've gotten a shipment of Madagascar periwinkles. Some people call them Vinka. Oh it's just gorgeous. I mean I could go. I could just talk all the way through this commercial break about the products they have it in Channa. First, I forgot to tell you in Chinnish forest Enchanted Forest Richmond, TX dot com. That's the website, Enchanted Forest Richmond, TX dot com. They're on twenty seven.
Speaker 2: To fifty nine.
Speaker 4: Well, music means I gotta quit talking, but not until I tell you that Next Saturday, from twelve to two, I'll be at RCW Nursery. We're gonna have a good time. They always put on a good show there at rc There're gonna be lots of giveaways. I'll probably be some snacks and some drinks to have there while we're there. We're just gonna talk about all kinds of things gardening that are of interest to you. You want to bring in samples and things we can do that. Come on not meeting you. I'd love to be doole and listen to Garden.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r h. Garden Line with Skip Rictor's Shoes.
Speaker 2: Man Crazy Gas Trim. You just watch him as well.
Speaker 3: Many things to see back Crazy.
Speaker 2: Gas not a sign credit Basis Gas.
Speaker 4: All right, folks, we got some garden line to do. Let's talk gardening. Seven one three two one two ktrh. That's how you do it. Seven one three two on two ktr h. What are you interested in talking about? We can discuss that for sure. I got some emails and got that photo of a tree from Susan, so we're ready to go on that one. Whenever we are ready to go. U anyway, give me a call. Let's let's discuss the kinds of things that you are most interested And if you've been emailing me this morning, please follow up with a phone call because I'm just not able to respond to emails right now.
Speaker 28: Uh.
Speaker 4: Sanamlch is placed. I was there the other day for one of their big events that they have. They always put on a good party there. Sanamulch is the place you go to get everything set up for success with your plans, and it is so important. And there's a reason I say bronze stuff before green stuff. And here's what I'm talking about. People that are not educated in gardening, that they haven't learned how to take care of plants and what to do. Typically, what happens is you go to a garden center are you whatever? And you just buy a plant because it's pretty and you want to bring it home and you want to plant it, and then you walk around looking for well, where am I going to put this? Well, let's put it there, and you just PLoP it down in the spot. That is a recipe for disaster. You need to create a foundation for success. If you're building a house, you wouldn't just walk over in a pasture and go, well, I'm going to start laying two by four us right there on the ground. Now, you wouldn't do that. You'd build a foundation first. Of course, that's ridiculous to even think otherwise. It's true with plants too. Cienumult is a place where you go to get the foundation right. It's the brown stuff that comes before the green stuff. They sell a wide variety of compost and compost soil blends so you can have success, so you can get the root system happy from day one when it drops in the ground. They sell the mulches they go on top of the soil to prevent weeds, to keep the soil cool, to prevent erosion, to prevent crusting of the soil. They sell the fertilizers they go in to provide the nutrient boost from microlife from Nelson's both the turf Star and the plant food jars that they have from Medina, from nitrofoss from azamite. They even sell things like veggianeermicx from Heirloom soils. It is easy, easy to have success when you start at cienamlts. Ciena Maltz dot com is the website. Go to that Sienna Moltz dot com. It'll tell you that they're on FM five twenty one near six and two eighty eight. It'll tell you the hours, which, by the way, Monday through Friday seven thirty to five, Saturday seven thirty to two closed on Sunday. Sienna Maltz dot com south of Houston, so they serve that whole area, Siena Plantation in Quell Valley and Arcola and Lake Olympian, Pomona and Fresno and Sweetwater and sun Creek Estates and Pearland and if you're out near Brasispin State Park or First Colony, these are the communities that are just in the backyard there at Sienamulch dot com. I'm gonna go to the phones here and we're gonna talk again to Susan. Hey, Susan, I got that picture that you sent.
Speaker 26: Oh great.
Speaker 4: Good, And I can't well, A number of different plants have that leaf pattern, and at this young stage of the tree, it's hard for me to be certain, but I would say eighty percent sure it's some type of an ash tree. There's a lot of different kinds of ash trees that grow in the Greater Houston area, so I don't know which one, but it's not unusual at that stage for it to come out of the ground like a rocket and have a single trunk and just reach for the sky, and so you can leave it. It may end up being a tree that is not a good long term tree, or it may be a tree that is a good long term tree. There's good ash trees and then there's some ash trees that are not so good to have. And I can't tell you at this stage which of the two it is.
Speaker 2: Okay, well.
Speaker 16: Plant it, right or should I just leave it in the pot?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't leave in the pot. It won't. Yeah, it doesn't have a long term future in a pot just because it's going to be a very big tree.
Speaker 16: It is because I can plant it. I mean, I can plant it and give it a chance because it wants to survive. I've decided.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, all right, well that's an option in any way you want to go about it. But that's my best shot on it. It looks like some species of ash.
Speaker 16: Okay, And why the characteristics of an ash anything good or bad about them?
Speaker 4: I mean, well, they grow, they grow fast, which it sounds good, but a lot of times trees that grow fast or weak wooded, and they don't make a good long term tree. Not always, but sometimes ash trees are deciduous. They will, you know, Chris drop the foliage and the fall nothing spectacular on fall color, kind of a dirty yellow color, a golden yellow, dirty yellow color on the ash. But anyway, that's my best shot, you know, So good luck with that, and thank you, thank you for the question. I appreciate appreciate that very much. Nelson Water Garden is the west Houston nursery need to know about you if you're looking west. This is a destination place for many reasons. It's Nelson Nursery and water garden. So first of all, we know Nelson Water Garden. If you want a discipling fountain coming out of a beautiful container. If you want a waterfall in the backyard, they can build all that, or they can tell you how to do it. If you don't do it some of that, do it yourself. They're gonna have the fish and the plants for ponds and all of that, and ponds just that therapeutic sound of water is worth having a pond right there. But Nelson Nurserying Water Gardens has tons of beautiful plants. From the houseplants indoors that are some of the most beautiful houseplants you're going to see to the as you enter the outside and you get to the vegetables and the herbs and the flowers and all of that, moving on into the fruit trees, the shrubs or roses that you know they're a nursery. There are nursery and gardens that are there in West Here's how you get there. You go west the nine ten. You turn when you get to Katie, you turn north on Katie Fort Ben Road and it's just across the railroad tracks right there, just a little bit up the road on the right hand side. They're open Monday through Saturday, nine to six. Sundays from eleven to four Nelson Nursery and Water Gardens, West Houston's full service local destination nursery. It really is. I'm gonna have to run to a break here, Trey in Spring, you will be first when we come back. I just like the guy's eat a two big ball let men. Remember bj Thomas, it's my chest to get on all my rain songs. I think it had to rain for a while for me to cover all my rain songs. Got a lot of it. Hey, welcome back to Garden Line. We're glad you are with us. We're gonna run straight out here to the phones this hour and go talk to Trey in Spring. Hey, Trey, welcome to Garden Line.
Speaker 11: Thanks you get good morning.
Speaker 24: Quick question I.
Speaker 23: Had that's coming up? Okay, Yeah, I have some bermuda that's coming up in my Saint Augustine in a patch and I've not been able to get rid of it for a few years. So what would be the best rim for that?
Speaker 4: Well, the official best remedy is either live with the two, which isn't a remedy at all, or get rid of everything and start over with the grass you prefer, which sounds like it's Saint Augustine now there are some other options, but I can't go into them on the radio, the whole gamut of them, Trey. If you would like to email me, I can provide you with the information about it. I've got a sheet on that that I can tell you. There is a way to get rid of the Bermuda and the Saint Augustine, but typically you would hire somebody to come in and do it. There are a few people that will do it themselves. The problem is the products are so expensive that for you to buy it for just one yard doesn't make a lot of sense. But if you want to, if you want that route, just let me know. I'll put you on hold. You can send me an email and I'll send you the info on how to do it. But those are the options. Live with it, get rid of everything and start over, or this other more expensive but way that I think will work for you.
Speaker 11: Sound good, appreciate it?
Speaker 4: All right? All right, I'm putting you on hold and Jonathan will pick up and give you an email. Alrighty, Yeah, that's it. Speaking of if you if you want your if you want your grass to look good night to five, super turf is what you need to know about it is sitting nineteen four ten lots of nitrogen. You're thinking, well, skip, I'm gonna have to mow mo mo if I do that. No, no, no, you're not. And here's why. In lasts sixteen weeks. So you're just getting a little bit of that nineteen for the first week, and a little more the second week, and a little more the third week. You see what I'm saying. It's gradually feeding like your lawn gradually takes up nutrients nine to five superturf. It's an excellent product. It lasts again four months, sixteen weeks. So if you're going to look for it somewhere, well you're not gonna have trouble finding it. You're gonna find it at like D and D feed up in tomboal plants for all seasons on Luetta Lake Hardware, both the one in Angleton on Velasco and on Dixie Drive in Clute. So easy to find products from nitrofoss like that. Speaking of ACE Hardware, by the way, Ace Hardware always stays stocked up on whatever you need to have success in your lawn and garden and landscape, whether it's fertilizers, whether it's pest control, disease control, insect or well, I said pest control, the weed control. They have those products as well. And when you go into your ACE Hardware store, you're going to find people that can take you right to the product you need and make it easy for you. Now, when you're in ACE, you're going to see a lot of other stuff. Well, I didn't I thought there was just a hardware No, it is not just a hardware store. It's an ACE Hardware store. And there's a difference quality products for the home, for outdoor living, really cool stuff. I have a string of lights. We call them beer garden lights, those little string of bulbs that don't get real bright, but in the evenings they just create that ambiance. We got some of those around our patio. I love those things. Barbecue pits, all kinds of outdoor enjoyment comes from an ACE Hardware store as well as everything for your landscape, your lawn, in your garden. You can go to Acehardware Texas dot com. Don't forget Texas. Put Texas in there, Ace Hardware Texas dot com and you'll find the ACE Hardware stores near you. They're part of our Houston group here in the ACE Hardware world and you will have success. And there are stores near you and you need to go check one out. And today it'd be a good day, because I promise you it's not raining inside an Ace hardware store.
Speaker 13: There you go.
Speaker 4: Let's go out to Kingwood and talk now to Misty. Hey, Misty, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 27: Thank you very much. I was calling to see where I could find a Chinese fringe tree. And is it too late for me to plant?
Speaker 4: It is not too late. It's a great time to plan them. You're out there in Kingwood. I would probably go to Warren Southern Gardens already suspect there.
Speaker 27: Okay, they're all out.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well it doesn't surprise me.
Speaker 7: It is.
Speaker 4: By the way, it's my favorite spring flowering tree. Now it's it's I love them. So if they didn't, I don't know. Maybe they can order to get them in for you. But let's see here where let me.
Speaker 17: Get my brain begin to order.
Speaker 27: They have to order in October, so I wouldn't be able to get any unless they're a nursery somewhere close Housard left.
Speaker 4: I just shooting from the hip here. I would say you you've got two options pretty close to the same distance for you. Probably the closer one is RCW Nurseries where I'm going to be next Saturday. They do carry fringe trees as well. Call them before you drive because they may have had a run on fringe. It's a great tree. But our CW Nurseries is where belt Way eight and two forty nine Tomball Parkway come together. Or a little further away for you is to go down go down to Seabrook which is way south on the Trinity Bay and Moss Nursery. Maas I know, they carry Chinese fringe trees also. They ought to be able to get you fixed up. But talk to RCW.
Speaker 27: I will hope to see you there next Saturday, but I don't want to wait until next Saturday to get it if they have it.
Speaker 25: But thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, we'll get hey. By the way I'm going to be, I'm going to come out to Warrens on the nineteenth, that's a Saturday of Easter weekend. Albe at Warrens. We had to postpone today's event until next Sat. Until two saturdays from now, but I'll be out in your neck of the woods as well. All right. Thanks for the call though, I appreciate that, mister. All right, bye bye, green Pro. Green Pro remember that word. If you live within forty five minutes of Magnolia, Texas, and you need compost, top dressing and core aeration, either or or both, preferably, you'll do both. Green pros experts at providing that they use top quality products that help feed the soil biology. See here's what happens. You get composts, you get compost, you get compacted clays, and when you go in and pop a core of soil out of the ground, that's what core aeration is. It takes a core out and drops it on the surface. Number One, if you got any thatch, it helps, it's the best way to get rid of thatch, to help it decompose away. But it opens the soil up for air to move down in and water to move down in, and then that compost falls down in the holes as well. And so as you do that, you're breathing life into your soil. You're feeding the microbes that are good for your plant's roots. That's what's happening there. So if your lawn is trying to recover, maybe it was bron patch or takeoff patch or chinchbugs or drought or who knows what. Correeration and compostop dressing by Greenpro is the way to go. Now. They're forty five miles for Magnolia. So think of the northwest quadrant of the Greater Houston area. Ient is the east west line. Forty five is the north south line, northwest quadrant in between forty five and I ten about Well, let's just do it this week. Places like Spring and Cyprus and the Woodlands and Conroe and Willis and Magnolia and Montgomery, Katie, you know, West Houston, that whole region they cover. Greenprotexas dot com. Greenpro Texas dot com. That's the website and here's the phone number. Write this one down eight three two three five one zero's wrote three two eight three two three five one zero zero three two green pro Texas dot Com for compost top dressing and core aeration. Someone asked me the other day if it's is it too late to use barricade, and it's like, well, no, yes, no, meaning if you had a weed that sprouted back in early March, well it's a little late to use barricade now right for that weed because it's already up and growing. But those weeds are going to sprout all through summer. Some of them come on later.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Grass burr is a little slow to wake up in the spring, comes on a little bit later. Barricade will stop weeds for about forty five sixty days somewhere in there from whenever you apply it, and you want to follow the label, apply it at the label rate. Always do that. Very important to do that. But you know, you may have done a barricade in the spring, but there that doesn't mean you're good until fall. I mean there's weeds that will sprout during the summertime. There's weeds that are sprouting right now. Now. I've got an area where I just did some clean out of an area of lawn from some existing winter weeds that were about to go to seed. And as I was looking, I saw a little tiny seedling starting to come up from another kind of weeds. So there you go. Nitrofoss barricade. It works. It covers about five thousand square feet. That's just a little ten pound bag covers five thousand square feet. Don't overdo it. Do it according to the label. That way you get the best results. You're gonna find Barricade. Another nitrofoss products at Well add in Brenham plants and things. If you are done in Baytown, Fisher's Hardware in Angleton Lake Hardware. How about alvin Stanton Shopping Center. Just some examples of places, and there are many of them where you can find nitrofoss products. If you would like to give me a call in Talk Gardening phone number seven to one three two one two ktr H seven to one three two to one two kt r H. This this afternoon. I've got some indoor plant tasks to do. I've had some plants that'd spent winter underneath the light. They are beautiful house plants, but they, you know, they can't take the cold, and I just don't have enough areas in the house to put them. I mean, you know, you've only got so many windows, and I know, so many plants so little time. I suffer from the same issue as you probably do. Oh there's a great plant. I'm gonna buy it. I'm gonna bring it home. Where are you gonna put it? Don't bother me the questions like that. By this plant I'm bringing home, That's what I did. So it's time for them to go. Outside and start to enjoy the bright areas outdoors. And when I say that, I don't mean sun, I mean bright shade. So when you're dealing with plants that are accustomed to being in a lower light environment, don't stick them in the full sun. They'll sunburn. Put them in a bright shade like a porch or a patio, or underneath a beautiful shade tree. You know, underneath a live oak tree. A lot of things won't grow. Oh but boy, will house plants grow well. There there's a there's a brightness to the light that they can do pretty well. And so get them out into those areas, let them get some fresh air and enjoy it. And then give them a boost of fertilizer. You want to give them a product that is gonna do well for them. Now what I use most of the time when I'm dealing with my houseplants, I've got my micro Life Biomatrix. That's the orange label. It's sitting around all the time waiting for me to use it because I'm always using it. But Biomatrix orange label is a seven one three fertilizer that's a good boost of nitrogen. You can also use the Ocean Harvests blue label. I'll often use the Biomatrix indoors because it is an odorless fertilizer. The Ocean Harvest has a little bit of a fish smell, that's what it's based on, so I'll put it outdoors. But either one could be used outdoors, the orange label Biomatrix the blue labeled Ocean Harvest. And those are two of just a dozen gray products by micro Life that are in liquid form, both in quartz and in gallons. Give your plants a boost. They've been sitting there all winter with low light levels and just kind of hanging on. It's time now to get them growing, and a good boost of products like those will really help that happen. And where are you going to get Microlife everywhere? Go to Microlife Fertilizer dot com and find out about all the everywheres and their other products as well. I'm gonna take a break now, and when we come back Wayne in Baytown, you'll be the first stop.
Speaker 2: You got any sistan.
Speaker 28: Here you go?
Speaker 4: How long has it been since you heard that one? Welcome back to garden Line. Good to have you with us today. We're going to jump right out to Baytown, Texas and talk to Wayne. Hey, Wayne, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 28: Thank you. Yes, sir, Brandy live and used to tell us the warrant. I guess using weed and seeds fertilizers for your grass? What do you think about weed and feed for your dress?
Speaker 4: I miss some of what you said there, but I think your question is what I think about weed feed?
Speaker 15: Right?
Speaker 28: Yeah, weed and feed for loder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right. Well that's a hard one to answer fast, but I'll give it my best shot. If I'm given the choice, I would rather apply the fertilizer I choose when I want to apply it, and apply the weed control I need for the weed. When I need to do that, I prefer to do it separately. But there are times of the year when you can put the two together and it works. In the spring, the cool season, weeds are starting to, you know, really put on their growth and it's cool enough to where you're not going to damage the turf with the post emergent broad leaf weed control products, those kind of combinations could be used at that time and they would work. And then in the fall time we have an overlap between fertilizing season and pre emergent herbicide season, So you could do a combo like that at the time. But a lot of times in many of the products that are on the market, I don't like the weed control product that's in the weed and feed, or I don't like the fertilizer blend, for example, And so that's why I tend to prefer to do it myself separately. But like I said, there are times when you can do the both and it will work, and I generally those are the times when I'm talking about those products. If I'm talking.
Speaker 28: About them, well, okay, thank you ship yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I don't know if that answer it well or not, but they're options and people like convenience, and I realize that. But yeah, I generally do it separately myself when I can, all right and now and okay, now would be an okay time to put out a product that if the weeds aren't too far advanced in terms of setting seed and they're about to die anyway, you could use those kind of products that kind of a post emergent broad leaf type product on it now and it would it would work. Generally, it's better the earlier you can get those applied, the more effective they're going to be. The younger a weed is, the more susceptible it is to being controlled. That's that's just the way it is. So you could do that now at that at that point in time.
Speaker 28: All right, Okay, thank you, Yeah, you bet.
Speaker 4: Thank you appreciate that call. Let's head now to Joe. Okay, see Joel and Magnolia. Hey, Joel, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 18: Hello, Skip, can you hear me?
Speaker 4: Yes, sir?
Speaker 18: All right, Hey, yeah, I've got a question regarding lagustrums.
Speaker 19: I've lost a few of them.
Speaker 18: Do that punk decide or the blight that they're susceptible to?
Speaker 11: And I've been spraying it, treating it.
Speaker 18: With console fourteen point three, and I just want to know if if is there a frequency?
Speaker 20: Is there a.
Speaker 18: Frequency that I should how often can I apply it? What's the dilutionary? Is it announce per gallon? And also is there should I be rotating that with some kind of copper fungicide between treatments.
Speaker 4: I don't I'm not picking up what that what that product is?
Speaker 25: Uh?
Speaker 11: There is it?
Speaker 18: Consand oh p R O P I C O M A Z O L E fourteen point three.
Speaker 4: Oh proper connasole. Okay, got you, got you? Okay, Uh, propa connaisole would should be effective against the gustrum leaves. That's a circaspar fungus that does that. Dacanil, which is chlorothal o'nil is another good leaf spot fungicide. You're just gonna need to do it periodically. And lagustoms are plagued by that, especially in areas you know where we get a lot of rain, which welcome to this area of the state.
Speaker 2: Uh and uh.
Speaker 4: It's one reason I'm not a big fan of wax leyflogostrum because once they get in and it looks bad and it's you're never going to eradicate it. You just are on a now for the rest of the time you have that bush. When you have rainy periods, you better put a spray on following the rain, if not a systemic before the rain.
Speaker 18: Okay, okay, all right, So and what come gluten rate for gallon?
Speaker 4: Do you oh that I'd have to read the label on? I don't know. I just just grab you a label. You can find labels online if you've lost yours for the product. But yeah, just just follow the label real carefully. But propagonazole is a product and it covers a lot of different fungi. All right, Uh, just one one last thought though, mark mark on one thing, mark before I let you go, get a second fungicide like the like the chlorthal nil or dacanil as an alternate to alternate between the two. Don't just use one fungicide. You know every week for the whole year, you're gonna end up creating resistance in the disease. So alternating fungicides is a good way to go and by to help prevent that resistance development. Okay, all right, wonderful, Hi, thank you, you take care for sure? That's here. Oh yeah, Medina products. Medina has so many good products. I was thinking the other day, like what what Medina products can I talk about it? I mean, there's has to grow, There's there's the super grow, the one that hooks up there's one that hooks up to your garden hose at sixteen percent nitrogen products, zero phosphorus and just a little bit of potassium in it. And you just spread over the law and I mean it'll give you a good green up. And by the way, even though it kind of is fore lines, you can use that or anything people used on their gardens, spray their tomato foliage and the ground around the tomatoes and watered in real good. I mean it's a good product, but that's a Medina example. The hastro growth the has to grow plus I like the hast grow six twelve six plant food six twelve six is six percent nitrogen, twelve percent phosphorus, six percent potassium. And I like to use that for watering in transplants. And what I'll do is whether it's a rosebush or a tomato plant, you just planch plant watered in really good with a drenching of has to grow six twelve six plant food mixed in water. I put mine into a watering can, and then a week or two later, do it again. A week or two later, do it again. And by doing that about a week apart or so, you're going to give that plant's root system the best chance of getting off to a good successful start. And phosphorus is very important. That's why it has a high middle number, very import and developing a good strong root system. That's from Medina, like many many other products that are widely available when you look at garden center speed stores, when you look at Ace Hardware stores South It's fertilizer, younifind Medina products all over the place. Let's see here we are. Tell you what, Mark, I'm gonna go ahead and start your call. I've got about one minute and we'll probably have to carry over break, but let's go ahead and get started.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Hey, good morning. Yeah.
Speaker 20: I was just wondering that.
Speaker 26: We control our ants pretty well in our yard, but our raised garden, we're starting to get a few in our garden and our potatoes come in in our beanside, and I'm just wondering what we could put on the match really that we can talk.
Speaker 4: The one product I know of it's called come and Get It by Fertile Loan and it's a fire amt bait that is organic that contains spinosid. Come and Get It by Fertile oam the bait. It's in a bluish colored bag. I know Bob's got it over there. It's Southwest Fertilizer. I don't know what part of Houston you're in, but it's not too hard to find Come and Get a fire ant bait labeled for use in vegetable gardens. Mark, I got to take a break, I put you on hold. But if that answered it, thank you. I will. If not, we'll talk to you when we come back. All right, we're back. Hey, welcome back to the garden line. Good to have you with us. I got one segment left today, So if you would like to call to day now would be the time to do it. Seven one three two one two katrh If you want to see a landscape change that when guests come to your house, they're just like, whoa that? When did you do this? Pierce Scapes is who you need to call, and it it's true. Don't believe me. Go to the website and look at the work they do Piercescapes dot com, pierscapes dot com. And they can do the whole nine yards, you know, the whole entire landscape creation or an entire landscape rework renovation. But they can also do just a beautiful outdoor hardscape area with maybe whatever kind of features you want in that area. They can do that. Do you need landscape lighting? Do you need irrigation work done? Do you have an area that just doesn't drain well, you know it's always wet over there, and you know all the plant bags say it needs good drainage, Well you can make it good drainage by having Peerscapes come out and fix that problem for you. They are experts at what they do. They have many licensed professionals on hand. They can do everything from landscape irrigation, drainage, backflow prevention, you know that kind of stuff that goes as part of irrigation system. They got their pesticide certifications and licenses. You can have them come out and do quarterly maintenance. You know, I don't want you to plan anything, and don't you design anything. I just want you to come out once a quarter, take care of the weeds, replenish the mult change out the plant color as needed, make sure the irrigation is working well.
Speaker 19: They do that.
Speaker 4: And now piercescapes dot com that's the website. That's really all you need, pierscapes dot com. But if you want to give them a call. Two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty. It's time to give your landscape a spring freshening up and Pierscapes as your one stop shop for all things landscaping. We're going to head down to Paarland now and talk to Kay. Hello, Okay, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 12: Good morning, Skip. Thank you for taking my call. Yes, I have a question. It's actually for a friend of mine. I heard you talking with a lady about ash trees earlier. And my friend has a couple of trees and it's not her property, she's leasing. And there are trees and the leaves. When the leafs fall, they pierce they're pointed, and they pierced the plants below. Do you have any idea what kind of it? She thinks it's some kind of an ashes.
Speaker 4: I need I need to see a picture of it now. Now ashes have little seeds that are like oval that are pointed at one end, and when they fall they often will kind of helicopter down. But some you know what, I need to see a picture. If they can take a picture of the leaf with something else stuck on it and tell what it is. Yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 12: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 12: Have a roast day.
Speaker 4: You bet bye bye you two k bye bye. I appreciate your call very much.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: If you are looking for an outing to someplace magical, it's let me just suggest it's the anti grosing for him. You need to go see it. It's out there north of Brenham, Texas in Independence, the big metropolis of Independence, Texas, which I'm told by by the way, is where Sam Houston from Texas History was baptized. That's what they say. Well anyway, Antique Rosenporium they even breed their own roses out there.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 4: They have two new releases that they bred. Call it once glass Slippers, Glass Slipper, excuse me, and the other one is Cupids sweetheart. You need to go see those now. There's events all the time. On April the ninth, just a few days from now, starting at ten am as the children in the Garden workshop. It's for ages three through ten. You get the tickets off the website. Here's the website. Everything I'm telling you you need this website for Antique Roseemporium dot com. Now you can give them a call nine seven nine eight three six fifty five forty eight or just go to Antique Roseemporium dot com. It's a good place to take a group for a tour. Contact them ask about that. They even have guided tours as well, where someone takes you around and answers questions and stuff. By the way, they're gonna be closed on Easter Sunday, April twentieth, but their normal business hours are Monday through Saturday from nine thirty in the morning till five thirty in the afternoon. Coming up is the annual Easter Egg Hunt on April nineteenth. You don't want to miss that. The kids are going to love that. One strucks at ten am. By the way, there's all kinds of stuff going on that day, from face painting to lunchboxes from smash burg serving smash Burgers to By the way, the proceeds from that annual Easter Egg Hunt go to the Branham Children's Museum and then a big deal Rose and Herb Conference April twenty six. Circle dot on your calendar April twenty six, ten am to three pm. They're going to have a whole day full of educational seminars and workshops and more. Also follow Antiqurosen for him on social media. Let's go out now to talk to Anna. Hello, Anna, Hi, Hi, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 16: Yes, I have a quick question.
Speaker 9: I have an orange tree is having to lose their leaves and is the come of the year The leaf should be coming on, but they're coming on and they're falling off.
Speaker 4: Is it the older big leaves that are falling off?
Speaker 19: All of them?
Speaker 9: All of them well, because the old ones they fall when it was winter and now the new ones are coming. But they are falling.
Speaker 28: Well.
Speaker 4: And I can't tell you exactly what that is, just based on that description. If you will take a picture and email it to me, let me look, show me the whole bush, and then show me up close like what you're seeing on the branches, and then pick up some of the fallen leaves and show me. Because you're talking about little small leaves falling too, I'd like to see photos of that. Maybe I can help you better.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 4: The only thing that comes to mind initially is if you if your tree is going through some sort of a root stress, you know, soggy conditions, no no good oxygen in the roots, or some other issue. But let me let me put you on hold, and uh, my producer will give you an email and show me some pictures, good sharp focus, attach them to the email, and I'll see if I can help you further from that. And thank you. I appreciate very much you calling.
Speaker 28: Uh.
Speaker 4: Let's go now to Baytown and talk to Carol. Hello, Carol, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 18: Good morning.
Speaker 2: How are you, sir?
Speaker 4: Doing well?
Speaker 22: I am redoing a one of my bands. I just pulled up the broccoli. That's done now, and as I'm trying to turn over the dirt to add more, there's all. I sent you an email, by the way, and it says garden dirt.
Speaker 4: I think on it.
Speaker 22: There's white stuff at the bottom layer as I'm putting it over.
Speaker 19: Is that mold?
Speaker 13: Is that good stuff and that nutrients?
Speaker 22: Or I wouldn't sure what to do.
Speaker 4: That's good stuff. I see the picture. That's good stuff. That's called my celium, and basically it's little strands of fungus. But it's not a disease of your plants. It's one of the many, many kinds of fungus that turned tree trunks and leaves and other organic matter back into good dirt. And so all that's doing is it's it's breaking all that stuff down and releasing the nutrients for your plants. So don't worry about that at all. That's just part of it.
Speaker 9: Roast soil and some composts and roast soil to that bed to make it more so good.
Speaker 22: I didn't know how to do.
Speaker 15: So. It was good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good news. I'll be the bearer of good news. Today.
Speaker 22: My asparagus is finally producing. I'ven't been enjoying my sparagus this year. I've waited three years for it.
Speaker 27: I'm really enjoying it.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, Oh that's good stuff. I love that. All right, Well, thanks for the call. Appreciate that. You bet you take care of Carol. If you're looking for a quality immediately releasing into the soil fertilizer for your lawn, sweet green is that now? It's not I say immediately. It dissolves and releases immediately. But basically it's coming from a molasses base that has lots of carbon, which makes your beneficial microubs very very happy. And it's by Nitrofoss and it's called Sweet Green. It's called Sweet Green. It's eleven percent nitrogen, one of the highest percentage of nitrogen of any organic product you're going to find on the market. And where do you get it, Well, you get Nitrofoss products a lot of places. You can go to Cyprus, M and D on Luetta Road. You'll find it there, the M and D, dun and Rosenberg on Avenue. I you can find it there. You can go to Ace Hardware, Citium Memoria, or Hiding and Feed on Stupent or Airline. You can go to Fisher's Hardware on Southmore in Pasadena, or D and D Feed and Tomball. That's just beginning the list of all the places you can get quality products from. Night Fross like this sweet green furliger smells wonderful too, by the way, smells wonderful. Well, wow, today flew by, it really did. It just seemed like we got started, but had a lot of good things to talk about. A lot of your calls too. I'll be back in the morning from six thirty to ten. For those of you somewhat new to garden Line, garden Line is on from six am to ten am every Saturday and every Sunday right here on Katrh seven forty am. Now you can also listen live and to pass shows by getting the iHeartMedia app on your phone. It's a little app with a red heart on it. It's easy to see when you do you go to garden Line. There's only two garden lines in the whole country. One is some lady on the East Coast, I guess. But Garden Line you just you know, bookmark that and you can listen to me live like right now, you could be out in the garage rummaging through your fertilizer making the plan for next months fertilizing. Or I was saying I was repotting plants. Today you could be doing that listening to Garden Line with your phone on in the pocket. Just listen live, so easy to listen to. Once it quits raining outside, you can take Garden Line with you to the garden and to be live from your garden. Send me a picture and we'll solve it right there on the air. One of these days, somebody's going to do that. I think that'd be an interesting way to do business. Well, thanks for listening. Remember next Saturday. Next Saturday, I'll be at RCW Nurseries from twelve to two, twelve to two at RCW Nursery right where Tamai Parkway comes at about way eight. For those of you who tune in late today, I'm not going to be at Warren's today. We postponed that until the week after next four, the nineteenth April nineteenth, twelve thirty two third. I'll tell you about that this coming weekend, but just go ahead and bump your Warren's appearance to the nineteenth the day before Easter and next Saturday, RCW twelve to two pm. I'll be giving away a lot of cool stuff. They always have a good time out there, and you got to go out there and see their boogain videos and their roses, both in the blooming Chinese fringe trees. They're so beautiful.