Speaker 1: Hey folks, and welcome to Game Spots Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven Full spoiler cast. I'm Lucy, joined by Kelli Hello and Jake Hello. Now it should be pretty obvious, but this is going to be a filled with spoilers. We're going to be dissecting the story, so if you haven't completed the game, this is your chance to back away now. And another piece of housekeeping, there is obviously a lot going on with Cyberpunk right now, crunch issues, last gen console issues, next Gen upgrade issues, the whole kit and kaboodle. We're not going to be touching upon that in this video because this video is just our spoiler cast of the story. However, if you do want to be kept up to date with everything going on in Cyberpunk, make sure to like this video and subscribe to our channel so you'll be first in line when we upload something new. We're going to be covering a lot of ground in this video, so we have got timestamps in the description.
Speaker 2: For your convenience. All right, let's get going.
Speaker 1: Let's start off with overall impressions. Now, Kelly, you did our review, gave it a seven out of ten. Can we quickly distill mule feelings on the game Now that you've had some time to reflect on.
Speaker 3: It a bit more, Yeah, I should say it was kind of like a soft seven. When I went in, I kind of waffled between the six and a seven, and I would say, like, as time has gone on, I've kind of my opinion has diminished a little bit, So I would say some highlights for me were the side stories. I thought the side quests were really strong in a lot of ways. There was a lot of variety in the side quests, maybe not as complex in terms of like what you were actually doing, but a lot of interesting kind of like light the match of an idea. I'm going to follow this thread. I really liked the core cast of characters, and that also kind of fed into what I didn't like so much about the game, because I felt like so many of those things like they were explored up until the point and then kind of dropped, which we'll definitely talk about in this video in more detail. And I really think like I wish that the game had more to say. I feel like it brought up all these really interesting ideas and I really started out like really intrigued and then a lot of those threads just kind of dissipated. I also think it kind of suffers as an RPG. I think that there is some cool variety to the combat, and like to the way you can approach different things, like with hacking or with different cybernetics. But I felt like I was playing a canon character rather than role playing my own character. I think that's just something that you fall into when you have a voiced, playable character. It just seemed to me like trying to be the best of both worlds, a written character and your own character. I just don't think that worked very well.
Speaker 1: I agree with a lot of what you said. Actually, I really really enjoyed my time with the game. I like there was a lot of it that I really really liked, and then there was some stuff that just upon reflection and having completed it a week or so ago, now that I'm thinking back.
Speaker 3: And going like, yeah, that wasn't maybe the best thought out.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: We did a video Jake John Luke and I last week and it was about which you can watch we'll link to it down below, but it was a list of things that we would love to see improved, and actually when we were brainstorming for that list. There was a lot of things, especially quality of life updates, that I would absolutely love to see added to the game, because it does just kind of chip away at the good times.
Speaker 2: I guess there were some real standout moments for me.
Speaker 1: We'll definitely talk about side quests and some of the characters Judy, my Love, PanAm River. I loved, love, love those quests, and I think it was at its best when it was really really claustrophobic, like in that first opening mission.
Speaker 2: For example.
Speaker 1: If you play Corpo where it's super tense and you're kind of or at least the heist in when you're in the hotel, when it's these really tense moments, I think it really really shines. But I think it definitely loses some of its luster in the open world. I just felt like there was too much in there and not enough of it interested me.
Speaker 2: But Jake, what about you? What did you think?
Speaker 4: My thoughts on this game have been a roller coaster Initially. When I initially played it, which was over a very short period, like cally a couple days, I really enjoyed it. I think as more people got their hands on it, a lot of the bug discourse started happening, people started poking holes through different things. I kind of lost interest and kind of started getting a little disappointed. But I've been replaying it slowly on a second play through, and I've really been enjoying it. Honestly, I've been having I've been having a great time. That said, a lot of what you guys have said I entirely agree with. I think there are a lot of issues with the story clashing with the gameplay. There are a lot of issues with the RPG elements I think. I don't think a lot of them were as well as they hoped. But there are things there that I really do genuinely like. I think, for example, like we don't want to talk too much about the gameplay, but I think the gameplay works really well the later on you get and like the way certain things can just completely change how you play. Something simple like the double jump like genuinely changed how I was playing that game. Like there'd be objectives, or there'd be small missions I do where normally I just go through the front door or try to sneak in, where I could just literally jump to the roof, drop in, grab what needed to get and leave and that stuff is super cool. Those gameplay decisions that they'd give you, I think are excellent. It's just how the gameplay manifests itself in the story that just doesn't quite work with me. But that being said, overall, I was and I am still pretty positive on the game. I'm super excited to see how they update this game, how they fix things, add new features, and of course DLC like I think there's still so many more stories to tell in Night City.
Speaker 1: I love the way you danced around saying ludo narrative absolutely made you put five dollars in a jaw for that one. All right, let's let's start off at the beginning. At the beginning of the game, which life path did we all pick? CALLI, which one did you go for? I went with Nomad.
Speaker 3: I just figured, you know, I don't know anything about night City besides what I knew about the tabletop game, so I'll go with the character that doesn't know a lot about Night City, Jake.
Speaker 4: I did Nomad for the first play through, street Kid on the second play through, And I think this is one of my big bigger issues with the game is that that doesn't really manifest into a lot and I'm sure we'll touch on that, but that's something that I did want to mention. I even replayed the Nomad one recently with Rob for a gameplay series we're working on, and they set up characters that you never meet, that have nothing to do with the story, and it just feels like something just got cut from the game. That was a long winded way to say, yeah, I played. No, I wouldn't get that out of my system.
Speaker 2: Well, so that's interesting.
Speaker 1: So I played Corpo and because I loved the idea of, you know, being in the heart of a megacorp and taking it down from the inside. Because in my head at least, I had it all planned out that I was going to be, you know, this Corporo netrunner who's been wronged, and you know that definitely speaks to Kelly what you were saying, where it's like so many ideas that just don't quite you know, there was so much promise and it just doesn't quite hit those threads. We don't need to get into that too much just now. But my in my corporate playthrough, when I was arriving in the Arisaka building, there is a character who you can choose to speak to and He only really stuck out for me because he reminded me a lot of Kendall from Succession, just like this very awkward corporate man, and he also sounded a little bit like him. And I did actually encounter him later on in the game, which I was very surprised at, and he tried to like mess me, mess me around or you know, when you start the corporal life path, there was this incident happening at Arisaka and he has all this info on it, and he tries to basically say to you, Hey, I have this info for you.
Speaker 2: You can get one over on Arisaca.
Speaker 1: And I met him and it was the most just it just didn't really have any repercussions. I've met up with him and he immediately just tried to attack me. So I killed him and that was it. It just didn't amount to anything. I thought it was going to be this big sweeping choice that I'd made that would come back.
Speaker 2: Later, but it wasn't.
Speaker 4: Was it a side quest?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think he just like texted me and said, hey, I have this info. And Johnny was obviously unhappy because it was oh, you're still a Corpo bitch kind of thing.
Speaker 4: That is something I do want to say, just to cover our basis here, is that there are specific quests that you can get depending on the life path you choose, but most of them I don't think any of them really have anything to do with the overall story. That being said, I haven't finished Street Kid, I haven't done Corpo, but based on your experience, it doesn't sound like that happens the street. The nomad doesn't. That doesn't happen, And with street Kid, I've started the quest that is specific to street kids, so I don't know if that ties in, But based on our experiences, it seems like these special quests depending on your life path don't really factor into the main story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did you feel about the language though, like the specific text options you could pick.
Speaker 3: I mean, it didn't really seem to alter anything too much for me. I did like having the nomad options with pan Am. I thought that like gave a little bit more dimension to her specifically, but I didn't like it didn't overall shape the way I approached anything or give me like new insight that you know, comparing notes with people who played other life pats, like, I don't think I got anything different out of it than you did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it seemed more flavor to me, and I didn't mind it. I did like it, especially like you're saying with pan Am and now that I'm playing as street Kid, like I know my way around Rogue a bit more than I would otherwise, And I think all those details are really nice additions. But yeah, it didn't like fundamentally change the way I was talking to characters and interacting with the world.
Speaker 1: I felt like, maybe because I picked Corpo and obviously all the dealings you have with Arisaka, I thought there were some really nice flourishes to using those voice lines when you're going And the thing is is, I haven't really I did the Nomad Live Path intro just to capture it, but I didn't play any more beyond that. But you know, when you go to the hotel on that heist, you know you can be a dick to the personal reception, and there are other things like when you're with Takimura you can reference your old corporate life because you have that kind of shared backstory. So even if it didn't impact it too much, I did really like the flavor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely flourish.
Speaker 4: That's a good way of putting.
Speaker 1: In Irish Okay, we've danced around side missions before. We talk about how we felt the overall main story quest panned out. But let's talk about side missions because Cali, you mentioned this before. We've all talked about this before. Some of those have really been the standouts. Let's talk about Cinnamon.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about Cinnerman.
Speaker 3: Which where do you even begin with that one?
Speaker 1: I think it says a lot when the game actively blocks you from taking any screenshots of a particular side mission.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess for setup. For those who maybe don't care and are watching this video, cinner Man is basically you meet a character who thinks of himself as the second coming of Jesus Christ, and he wants to get crucified while the brain dance is being recorded so other people people can experience the suffering that Jesus went through. There's more to it than that, but that's like you experienced that crucifixion. You can even partake in it by nailing his appendages into.
Speaker 2: The cross, which is what I did.
Speaker 4: Matt Paget walked away. He's just I'm not going to do this and walked out the door and finished the quest, and I was like, I don't blame you. I don't blame you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that quest is interesting because you're kind of egged onto it by Johnny, Like Johnny will be like, if you don't do this, I will never forgive you. This is the first interesting thing that's ever happened to us. And I'm like, okay, man, So I followed it just kind of at his insistence, and then I ended up crucifying a man.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: I mean, he wasn't wrong. It is the most interesting thing that happened. It felt like, really it's interesting because you walk around the city and you can see these like posters for like basically the Passion, and it's kind of just that's what this is. It's like tying into those advertisements you see, which you don't get a ton of in this game. So I really appreciated that, like those ads that you're seeing for this, like it's just Jesus's head I think actually came into play somewhere. But I was not expecting to have to physically nail the person to the cross and then just walk out. You just have to walk out and be like Okay that I guess I'll just go on with my day then.
Speaker 2: And it's the fact that you have the producer, you know.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 1: The thing about that quest as well is that I think it's a I think it's a standout quest, and I think it was really good. Good seems like a weird word to use because of the subject map. I think overall, on reflection of it, it had a lot more to say than a lot of other yeahs cyberpunk did. There are so many elements to it, you know, like this man on death row killed someone, so you go and meet the victim's family. You go and you have the producer who's also egging you on and being like, why do you have to ruin this for all of us? Is going to make so much money, this is what he wants. You try and talk him out of it. I was unsuccessful. I'm not even sure if you can talk him out of it. And then yeah, you have that moment where you just slowly watch him die as he's being recorded and all the casting crew around him just don't seem to care. And it is very very interesting and very thought provoking, but it was just one of those ones where there weren't as many. I think that stood out as much as that Wan died and I'm still processing my Catholic guilt about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that was one Like that question in particular really stood out to me for many reasons. But I think one of the big things is that we just don't really see quests like that in Triple A games, right, Yeah, Like I mean Assassin's Creed, for example, came out a month before, and you think that that would have a lot to do with Catholicism Christianity because it takes place as the Vikings enter England, and maybe that stuff is there to some extent to be completely transparent. I haven't finished it, but the way that's written in Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven feels a lot more daring to an extent in that regard. I really do like that quest, and I really do like the writing in Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven. I just kind of wish there was more of that, especially in this world that is supposed to be really affronting and kind of like an assault to the senses.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about the Parala's Quest as well a little bit.
Speaker 1: So you kind of get it by interacting with River for the first time. It's also what sets off River's quest. But I thought the Parala's quest was really really cool, talking about manipulating politicians by by by rewiring them essentially and all this constant surveillance, and I thought that was really really cool. And then to Calli's point on it, it was a great thread that just went nowhere. And then depending on what you do, I assume Daniel Perala's rang me at the end because I told him that his wife was in on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I did too. Yeah, he just he just vanished.
Speaker 1: I couldn't text him or call him anymore. I couldn't text or call a wife anymore.
Speaker 2: And that was it. And there was no that I found.
Speaker 3: There was no repercussion really beyond that. Yeah, and that question just so interesting. I mean, it's basically about gaslighting in a way that like isn't possible now, Like it's it's just reframing what gaslighting means. And these people are literally being made to feel crazy or and their memories are being altered in a way that's like honestly terrifying to me. And I found it so compelling. And you it's like this cool investigative sequence where you're like going through the apartment and trying to find clues and you discover that something's fishy and like there's so much to that, and and then you know, I wanted to know like who's doing this to them? What is the source of this, and like that's the part that was missing from that, and I was just so expecting it to be taken a little further on the the other side, like a quest that also was intriguing and I thought was like so interesting from the very beginning, but then like just absolutely crushed me was the Bart Moss Collective Quest where it starts with Nancy. So I kind of did it late in the game, and you know, to the game's credit, Like I was at the point where I was like I really need to finish this game for the review, so I was like not in the mood to waste my time, and this quest definitely wasted my time, so that probably made me dislike it even more. But it's like you're seeing this website that's just basically a kind of a caricature of socialists who are rejecting the way Night City is and the corruption night City, and the quest is like finding the person who the originator of this like radical content. And I was really interested in this because I thought it would be so cool to see what the rejection of commercialism and capitalism in the city would look like. And the quest is just going from place to place finding a Wi Fi router, and then it takes you to another place with another WiFi router until you reach a sign of like a fortune teller, and it's just been a whole It's just been a prank the whole time. And the thing that was I was like almost insulted by that. I was like, so, is there nobody in this city who's rejecting, who's like actively trying to fight back against this system. First of all, I wouldn't. I don't believe that would be that would be the case at all. And second of all, like I was really hoping to see like some sort of mirror to look into the world and kind of evaluate how do I feel about night City through this this lens of this group, and to find out it was just like somebody pranking. It just felt like like the game was mocking me almost for taking an interest in it. I just that was like the worst quest by far for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think I'm amazed that that quest was in this game and didn't get cut because especially coming off The Witcher, where all the quests, even the monster hunts, just feel so impactful and purposeful. They're all they all tell their own unique stories, and this one was just a blatant waste of time. Like even if you take out, like like the context of it, and it could be about anything, and it would still be a waste of time because the actual act of the mission is just driving to all corners of Night City only to get to the end. And Johnny's like, oh, yeah, it was just a program that has been bounced around the city for a while, and it's just like, wait, what, Like there's nothing too Like it's like when you take the most obvious twist and you go with that and then you expect people to be surprised by the twist, but it's just like, no, there's no reward to this. There's nothing rewarding or interesting about it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't care for that one either, to be honest, I thought I definitely got to the point of no return and just went backwards and just kind of completed all the side questers that I was interested in. And I went for that one because I thought I would get something, something I'd learned something and ultimately when it was just the Fortune Teller robot thing, I was like, oh, okay, that was the point for me where I was like, I'm just going to finish this bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like that deliberately felt like the game was wasting my time.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about who did you guys?
Speaker 2: Romance GDY you like, we've all done the same?
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean technically I did Judy and River and a few side characters because originally we were going to put a video up of all the all the sex scenes, but we decided not to because they're all very awkward and kind of explicit. So I saw a lot of them and they're all very awkward. But yeah, Judy was my the one, my canon one.
Speaker 2: Me too.
Speaker 1: I I also had a one night stand with River me too, and felt like such an asshole the morning after because I thought the way that you can handle that and tell him that, well, I do. And I don't love the way that you can tell the characters that you're dying.
Speaker 3: Because it just seems like they don't really take.
Speaker 2: It seriously, yeah at all.
Speaker 1: Like the way I told I told River, I was like, hey, I don't think we should get into a thing because I'm actually not long left for this world and he was like, oh yeah, no, okay, I understand what that's how you react to that. And Judy was actually pretty similar, which I love Judy, but I was like, why if I need a shoulder to cry on here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The like everything in this game, I just feel like it starts out pretty strong and then fizzles out. So with River, I did the scene to see what it looked like, and I hated it so much I actually rolled back my safe and rejected him.
Speaker 2: Oh that's the one. That's the one you did that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I uh did not care for that scene at all. I like withered and died watching that. Uh. I don't know. There was just something about it. There's just something about it. And I also felt bad because I was like, I'm cheating on Judy. I'm already in love with Judy.
Speaker 4: So uh.
Speaker 3: The Judy one, though, like Judy's quest I think is like the standout for me in terms of I mean like at every step of the way. That last sequence where you dive in her hometown was like like impeccable. I am obsessed with that quest. I wish I had saved right before, so I could like just do it over and over again. But yeah, then like it's like she gives you access to her apartment and then I'm like, so are we are we getting that U haul? We moving in together? And then and then like, yeah, you talk about I have some stuff going on, and then it's like, oh, like it just feels later, it just just it feels like it doesn't really get there. And I don't want to jump the gun. But we'll talk about how that factors into the endings as well, which I think only exacerbates that issue for me. But I do think like one thing I want to note is that from what I can tell, I don't think the actual scenes change depending on if you're romantically available to them. So the characters basically have set sexualities. There are four of them, basically to simplify it, like a gay male, straight male, gay female, straight female. But I don't think they change how they act, Like I think the scenes are identical aside from the actual romantic part. So like pan Am was so flirty that I was absolutely blown away that she was straight. I was like, there's no way this woman is straight. She's like I put my ling in an eg and she was like, yeah, she was like, oh.
Speaker 4: I think even if you are a male and you follow through River's quests, you still end up going to his family barbecue and whatnot. And I think I saw some people react to it on stream and they were like, wait, am I is he going to try to date meet? What's going on?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Which is like it's interesting because it's like the choice to then make them have a set sexuality is really interesting because like, why then if the scenes aren't going to be different, Like I really like to find out that pan Am was not interested in women. I was just like, that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 4: One thing I do want to mention about River, though, is his side quest where you hunt down that killer.
Speaker 3: That's that was so cool and I want a game of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, where you're like you're like revisiting a serial killer's memories. And I think that is super interesting and that's something that I was. I don't know about it if I was hoping to see more of that serial killer, but I was hoping to do more like detective work based on brain dance and stuff, because it is such a neat idea that they do some really cool things with. But I don't feel like they do enough with it, particularly too when it comes to just like entertainment value, right, Like, like I think it would be really interesting to just buy like a brain dance that was just I don't know, one of the stars of the world, Like what was there Lizzy Wizzi's brain dance, to like just experience things is her for a little bit, just to see what that's like, because that is a big part of cyberpunk, how brain dances are entertainment. But I feel like there were always a utility.
Speaker 1: Well, do I have the game for you, Batman arkhamarges, I gotta play that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I loved River's side quest.
Speaker 1: I think that for me was a standout, And maybe it's just because I have a heightened interest in true crime.
Speaker 2: The Judy one got.
Speaker 1: Soured for me because I did half of it and then I left to go do something and I turned off my PlayStation and it made me restart.
Speaker 2: The whole thing.
Speaker 1: So I was like, okay, I didn't ought to say, so I literally got all the way up to the church and then had to redo that whole thing again.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Good. But Rivers already loved I loved pan Ams too.
Speaker 1: I thought that the scorpion tank thing, whatever that was, I don't understand.
Speaker 2: I didn't care for it.
Speaker 1: I just felt like maybe someone on the art and weapons team was.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, what if we had a big tank?
Speaker 1: You know, we just when we just had a big tank, and then obviously the way that it comes in all the time, just to play around with us, like it didn't feel particularly good. I would have preferred just to be, you know, in Panams truck and just shooting using that again.
Speaker 3: But if you sleep with her, you sleep with her in the tank.
Speaker 4: So that tank also does come into play if you get there, if you get help from the nomad's too.
Speaker 2: I did say this thing.
Speaker 3: I did do that ending as well, and I was like, I still don't love the tank.
Speaker 1: That has just reminded me of cars because there's always this people.
Speaker 3: I was texting you to be like, hey, do you want this car?
Speaker 2: Do you want this motorbike?
Speaker 1: Did any of you guys find the best car in the game that's free?
Speaker 4: That's free car. It's it's the car from the marketing.
Speaker 1: No, it's in a tunnel, you drive past it and it's free. And I unlocked that really early on, and I was like, well, I don't need any thing.
Speaker 3: I didn't buy a single car. Every car I got was free. I got first, I got the Della main car, which I expect to drive me to auto drive me and talk to me, but it fucking didn't. And then I got Johnny's Porsche. Uh yeah, Porsche. And then I was like, Okay, I'm done. I don't need to buy any cars. I don't even I mean, I liked driving insofar as I liked just kind of zoning out, finding a radio station that was playing something I liked, and then driving around. But I wasn't like, oh, I could really use a tighter turn radius. I should buy a different car.
Speaker 4: So I think you and I, Lucy, are talking about two different cars, because the one I found is just in a garage. You do a quest and it's basically the Quadra before or whatever that we see in the marketing, which you give for free.
Speaker 3: Why do there's why are there cars you can buy? The economy is so weird. The economy is absolutely just like not balance.
Speaker 4: The high end cars are like a quarter of a million dollars, and it's.
Speaker 3: Like, why would I Why would I spend eddies on a car when I can spend eddies on cyber edicts. I don't it's such a waste. I hated when I was getting text about cars. I'm like, I just need to open this to clear it, Like it's just a bombardment of something that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just that was a little bit.
Speaker 1: I know we're talking about side quests and stuff, but that that just kind of sprang out of.
Speaker 3: Me because I was like, I'm not call my god. That I just my end game call that I got maybe five hours in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think it is worth pointing out why part of the reason we feel this way about cars in particular, like we understand that they're there to give players different options and to try out different vehicles and just add more playability. But the big reason why I think most of us, at least Kelly and I found the cars kind of annoying is that I am literally like the is literally dying, like he doesn't have the time to scrounge up, you know, somewhere between fifty to two hundred and fifty thousand eddies to get a car. That wouldn't make sense if like there was a post game where after you finish the game, you could still explore the world or whatever, which you can, but you're still left in that position before you finish the game, it does that thing where it rolls you back. So the cars just kind of feel like they don't really need to be there. And I think when you add on the fact that you just get text all the time about cars and it's like, I don't care, and then your map fills up with all these quest icons that aren't quest they're just more cars, it's a little annoying. I think Jean Luke pointed out that he wished you could they change the icon for cars so it would just like so you know what you're getting into.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, Like that's the thing is, why would I spend money on a car when I could buy something that will actually help me save my own life? Like it just it feels like it. I mean, obviously this is I have no insight into how the story was written, but it just feels like those things were written totally separately from the story, like as if it were just an open world where you're trying to be the best mercenary and that totally. I mean, I don't want to like jump the gun and talk about endings, but that ties into my issue you with the first ending that I did, which is like I'll skip ahead to like the the epilogue is just like, you become queen of the afterlife. You're the queen of the afterlife now, And I was like, oh, I would have loved to like participate in that. I would have loved to work my way up as a because because it just feels like that's vas goal, right, work their way up as a mercenary and become really famous for doing that, and to become a legendary murk and like to do the whole ending. And then the epilogue is like, well, you've done it, you became you became legendary.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, you're going to jump out of a spaceship and now I will talk about that a minute, because that I was genuine like, is this the difference?
Speaker 2: I don't understand. Why am I the third person now?
Speaker 3: Absolutely confusing?
Speaker 4: I think we should talk about Johnny Silverhand though, okay characters before we move on to endings, because he is the main care this game more or less. Yeah, uh, and I thought he was fantastic. I really like you mentioned this to Cali and it is like partly sheer star power of Keanu Reeves, but just having Keanu Reeves with you the entire time was was really cool. And I really liked what he added to these different quests. I think he adds a lot of flavor to what may seem mundane, like especially some of the really simple side quests that are just kind of like go here, kill these guys, grab this thing and leave. At least Johnny kind of sets it up and he throws some insults, makes fun of you a little bit, and then like gives you the details and kind of sets you on your way. And just like how intertwined he is. He intertwined he is with everything. I think just like bumps up everything in my book, just just slightly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, I agree with that, because like he really does provide a lot of color, even the way the shots are staged, Like there's a lot of conversations. And that's actually something I really liked about cyberpunkin general as a quick aside, Like a lot of the missions are just like talking to somebody, which I think is really cool. I liked that it wasn't necessarily like I have to do combat to get some story information, and the way those conversations are framed often has like Johnny in the background, like doing something being kind of sassy, like lounging, looking bored, smoking a cigarette, you know, whatever it is. And I thought that was so well done and I found that to be one of the highlights for me. And I also said in my review, like Johnny Johnny on paper, like I should hate him. Johnny Silver Silverhand is such an asshole. He like treated women terribly when he was alive. He's kind, he kind of says some sexist things to you if you play as a female vie, like he mentions like being in your body. And I did not hate him. I thought I was like, oh, what a lovable asshole, Like yes, Like I think that that's a testament to Keanu Reeves's performance, Like I think he really sells the character in a way that could have gone very poorly and just been kind of like could have just grossed me out because he has a lot of issues. But yeah, Kioto Reeves like the line delivery. Like God, I really loved the Johnny Silverhand stuff. I think the game really picks up when you get him in your head the.
Speaker 4: Way you unravel his story too, And like the way his motives change and the way he changes over the course, I think are all pretty good. Like I was telling Kelly the first time I played it that mission tape worm, which is after you do the Voodoo Boy stuff, you walk out and have a conversation with Johnny, you can just shut him up right away. You can just take the psycho something to dream. I don't remember what it's called. And that's what I did the first time because he was being a dick and I was like, all right, I've had enough, dude, And I actually like let him play it out on my second flight there, and I like was genuinely impressed with the line, the writing, the delivery and all that stuff. Was was just it was very powerful. I just like felt empowered. I was like, yeah, yeah, let's burn Arisoka down.
Speaker 3: Let's oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I loved him.
Speaker 1: I just felt like he was a reassuring presence in a sort of way you being you know, as a player, you are new to Night City, like depending on what life path you pick, you're expected to know it. And he just provides all of this context and sometimes he pushes you in the right direction. Sometimes he tries to push in the wrong direction, but he will. You know, if you do something that he doesn't agree with, he'll make his opinion known, but you don't feel like penalized for doing it. Really, I just I really love the way he was integrating it. So let's use that as a jumping off point to actually talk about the.
Speaker 2: Story as a whole.
Speaker 1: I thought, I don't know, because I obviously kind of did it in weird chunks.
Speaker 2: I would. I did like the first act with pretty.
Speaker 1: Much no side missions, and then I did the second act and pretty much almost mainline the story up until maybe even the the parade, and after just before I did the parade, that's when I branched out and did all of my side quest stuff, and then I kind of obviously mainlined the final act.
Speaker 3: Overall, I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: I think that there are some bits that shine more than others.
Speaker 2: I think when, like I said earlier, when.
Speaker 1: Things get really really tense, like the original, like the heist in the hotel, I also think when you I mean, I know, Johnny's stuff and rogue stuff is like side content, But in my head it makes more sense if the if they're made.
Speaker 2: Sorry, but I really loved.
Speaker 1: Building those relationships with those two and kind of understanding the past more to kind of push forward.
Speaker 2: In the future.
Speaker 1: I think the parade mission with Takumura was really really cool, and I think I was playing on PS five. I'm in the middle of rebuilding a PC. I think if I was playing that on a PC, it would just absolutely blow me away, because that just looked incredible and.
Speaker 4: That scene was a spectacle. That was one of my favorite parts of the game, partly because of how beautiful it looked, but also just how intricate that area was designed, and how you work your way through the different stories and you take out snipers and then you get up to that fight, which was kind of broken for some people. From what it sounded, it was pretty fun.
Speaker 1: He was stuck in a corner and I was hiding behind a pillar, and I would just pop out and use my rocket wrist thing grenade thing, just chip it away at him and he couldn't hit me.
Speaker 2: So that fight was completely broken for me, but.
Speaker 4: I still share it's a shame. I thought that fight was very good.
Speaker 2: But overall, I really liked it, but I was not.
Speaker 3: Happy with the ending that I got because because didn't make any damn sense to me.
Speaker 1: It didn't make any sense, like I was building my v up to be you know, she was a corporate rat.
Speaker 2: She left that life behind.
Speaker 1: She had this friend in Jackie, and I absolutely loved Jackie. I loved that you felt like you actually had this buddy going like working with you to become a legend.
Speaker 2: And then the way that Jackie dies I could.
Speaker 1: See coming, but it was still a real blow for me, and I think that it was really good at that's when you get you don't have long to kind of spend by yourself. You get Johnny to kind of fill the void of someone to kind of go.
Speaker 2: Through this adventure with.
Speaker 1: But I would have loved to spend more time with Jackie.
Speaker 4: I think for me that was one of the biggest disappointments is that Jackie just like I thought, they built such a great character with Jackie and they kill him off pretty quickly. And what was even weirder is that they even showed that off in marketing, so I assumed they were doing like a one two switch one to switch. I don't know where that came from, fake doing like a fake out, or maybe maybe it was like yeah, maybe it was like depending on your choices, he might actually live, but he dies no matter what, which I think is kind of a big bummer because like, I feel like the I don't know, I don't speculate too much, but I feel like there was just a whole missing throughout that game by not having anyone you had any real connection with, apart from Johnny because he was in your head. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it almost feels like like that section just doesn't last very long. And part of that was that I did mainline act one. I didn't do a lot of side stuff because I had seen in the marketing that Jackie died, so I like knew that that that was coming, and I was like assuming that would come pretty quickly. But it also feels like, could he use a little bit more time if you wanted that death to really be impactful, just a little more time, maybe one or two more like missions with him to bond. Although I will say the funeral really got me, Like I did really like his character and the funeral was actually emotional for me, and I kind of was like, I don't know where this emotion is coming from, but I found it really touching, I will say, and I talked about this in my review a little bit, that calling it an a frenda was really weird to me because that refers to the altar specifically, and it is usually an alter four Day of the Dead, and I think they were using the word afrenda to mean funeral. So I found the living a little confusing, but the actual scene was really touching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think going around his place with Misty particular was very like really got me. But overall, like I loved the stuff with Evelyn because I thought that's where it got really interesting for me, like going and obviously you can do more stuff. What was it called clouds Yasinsky with Judy if you do her side stuff, I thought it was really cool. But then the ending, so I got the ending where I decided to let Johnny have my body picked up Rogue, Rogue, who I absolutely adore. I think she thought she was a great character and I loved it.
Speaker 4: That voice actor is really good too, just has like such an incredible voice.
Speaker 3: She commands a lot of presence, and I think she was really well cast. And she's a bad bitch.
Speaker 2: She's a bad bitch.
Speaker 1: And she looks fantastic And I want to age like Rogue me too. She you know, taking taking rogue and going up with the Arasacker, the Johnny uh not the Johnny, the Adam Smasher fight.
Speaker 2: It was fine, it's fine.
Speaker 3: It's like a standard end of game boss fight.
Speaker 1: Not if it breaks for you multiple times, none if it races you multiple times. But then it was the plugging into the system where I got a little confused because obviously you've got alts and you've already you've set up what you can do with all they go in. It's like, okay, we'll hear your choices, and so I went, well, Johnny, we had a good run.
Speaker 2: You know, we're buds now.
Speaker 1: I made sure that Johnny his approval of me was high, and he was like.
Speaker 2: I'll go, you stay. So I went back to the real world. But it made me feel like I wasn't doing that.
Speaker 1: I had to sort of double check because the wording on it was yeah, and I was like, okay.
Speaker 2: I went back and I.
Speaker 1: Wake up in this glorious apartment and I'm with Judy and I'm like, hey, everything everything turned out okay. And then Judy's like, well, I'm leaving.
Speaker 4: And then you just yeat yourself in the space.
Speaker 1: Then you yourself into space because you're the head of the afterlife.
Speaker 3: And it's like Kelly was saying, I don't know how I got there? How did I get out of Arisaka? That's the thing. We did the same ending, just coincidentally, and I was just like, Wow, I would have loved to have been there to see these things happen. And then Jenny complete.
Speaker 2: Idiot because my V looks like an idiot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so.
Speaker 2: I didn't need that switch to a third person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was really I was like, I would have loved to change my hairstyle. And then the thing that really got me is that, like Judy was the person I had made a connection with in Night City, it was like the reason to stay was Judy's reason to stay. And then I go I'd do the RSAKA thing, and then Judy's like, you've been different, It's time for me to move on, And I was like, whoa, why is Judy breaking up with me? Like, of all the things to happen in my ending, that hurt the most. I mean, I also didn't understand the ending at all. It was like, I don't know why I'm in space. I really thought that I was going to go to the moon at some point, and it was kind of sad, like going through the game because I talk about space a lot. Then you go to space and it's like, I'm I was like, is this a suicide mission?
Speaker 2: Like what is this?
Speaker 1: It's like you're pulling a heist on a casino in space, which is super cool and I would.
Speaker 2: Would have loved to do that. And then but Judie, I.
Speaker 3: Was just like, really, like I thought you were right or died, Judy, Like I really like, I Hello, I guess it is because it's like.
Speaker 1: It's supposed to show that your quest was to become a night city legend is ultimately going to just leave you alone and sad.
Speaker 3: But I didn't choose to be a nice city legend. I chose to save my life. And then, like it just feels like there's stuff missing.
Speaker 4: So I've seen all the endings except the secret ending that's currently what I'm progressing to do. But there's so if you do the opposite of what you guys did, you let Johnny take over your body and you get an interesting epilogue where Johnny this one too. You've seen it, okay, yeah, but you get an interesting epilogue where you're where you're Johnny and you, and you teach this kid how to like play music and whatnot, and it's kind of cool, but once again it feels kind of hollow. There's the ending if you help Hanakoh are a SoC and that ending, to me felt like the most cyberpunky because they're like, hey, we can get rid of this, but we're gonna have to send you to an orbital Arisaka station where you're going to get performed or where you're gonna get an operation to have that removed from your head. And it works, except you're not yourself, and then you find out that basically the chip in your head has made it so Soboro Arisaka can basically live in his son. They basically implanted his brain into a son, which I thought was like a really cool sub.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then the final one, which I thought was the most satisfying, was the one where you joined the nomads, and it's kind of a shame because the game phrase is that if you ask for the nomad's help, they're probably gonna die, and that's not necessarily what happens. PanAm lives and a couple other important characters live too, and basically.
Speaker 1: The way that that one dies though, yeah, really took me. I figured they would die, didn't realize it would be quite like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Judy will come with you. Essentially, you'll leave Night City and Judy will come with you, and it fits with Judy's story about how she doesn't really feel at home in Night City and how she wants to leave. So I guess, like, I definitely get the disappointment of that other ending where Judy breaks up with you, but I think they do establish with her character that she doesn't want to be in Night City, So to me, she's no mad ending. Yeah, that no mad ending like felt like a new start or like a good ending for me and for Judy because she finally got to do what she originally was gonna do with Evelyn, leave Night City and get out of there. And there's like a really good exchange between you and Judy. And but the only odd thing is that the last scene is with you and pan Am, which is clearly there because you picked her route, which I kind of felt a little felt a little off. Maybe if I was a male v and Wash and like picked pan Am, then it would have made a little bit more sense. But yeah, I think overall like that pan Am ending is my favorite for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it yes, I mean it makes it makes more sense, like it feels more whole. M h, I mean Olympic maybe, well, no, she's straight. I was like, maybe we're in a throuttle but no, that's not how it works. But I still wish that, like the ending had had more to say about the experience that you've gone through with Johnny about like like I was just I ended the game and I was like, all right, so peace. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I felt deflated at the end of it.
Speaker 1: And I'm not saying that because I feel like every game needs to have a happy, happy ending. Well everyone gets what they want. I totally appreciate it when a game doesn't do that. Like I got the worst ending in the Witch three and I was like, oh, I messed up, But.
Speaker 2: I feel like.
Speaker 1: There was something very hollow about that ending. That the first ending that I got, so I actually did do these. Honestly, the most satisfying ending for me was the Secret ending, which we have a video. Yeah I won't, I won't swat it for you because I think it is really good because the way that that ending and in all the endings they have the characters who you've interacted with at the end during the credits, ring you, which again speaks to the fact that it's like none of this is in the game itself as any part of a quest or any follow up or anything.
Speaker 3: It's this.
Speaker 1: They're all contained at the very end in the credits. And of course, like I did, like run three runs at the end, I didn't do the Arisaka board meeting one and I can't bring myself to face Adams my show again because I did it like one after one after the other after the other. But it felt like they were using those credits to tie up loose ends. However, I'm assuming they didn't count for the fact that the PlayStation five will crash pretty much every time you hit credits, So half of them I didn't see, but the rest of them just kind of felt like papering over the cracks a bit, which was disappointing to me. I think it was cool to see how they reacted to that final chip like choices that you make, but it didn't feel like it was in a particularly memorable and meaningful way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean to your point too. I think I mean, you invoke the Witcher three, so I have.
Speaker 3: To say, you're all right, I've opened the door.
Speaker 4: One of the most powerful things about the Witcher three is how you don't really have a choice on how your game is going to end. Like, obviously you make choices that factor into the ending you're going to get, but you're not greeted with like, here's your three options, what do you want to do, and that's what's gonna happen. Instead, it feels a bit out of your control, even though you have made decisions that have influenced that. And to me, that felt way more natural. It felt way more, way more weightier, right, Like it didn't feel like I could just start save scumming to see different endings. It felt like, oh, this is what I'm going with because this is the these are how I've been playing garyup this whole time.
Speaker 3: It's a stronger narrative design.
Speaker 4: Totally, and it's something that I feel like games used to do. Choice based games used to do, like back in the day, be like all right, good ending, bad ending, now's your time to pick.
Speaker 1: But the way it's literally the difference if you mass effect two and mass effects.
Speaker 4: Three, Yes, exactly, And that that's kind of what cyberpunk felt like. It was like, wait, you you guys just did this incredible way to end a lengthy RPG, but you just kind of went back on that and it did this sort of just big your ending, which I know, to be fair, like there are decisions you have to make throughout the game in order to get those endings, which is cool, but like just to to sell it down like that I think was a little a little disappointing personally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've been talking for a long time, so let's go to kind of closing comments. We do know that the next gen, like they're working on these big, substantial patches.
Speaker 2: For the game to fix performance.
Speaker 1: There's gonna be free DLC coming, There's gonna be next gen upgrades. Are you gonna go back Tonight City, Jake? I know you're playing again in the minute, but are you was there enough there to love to return later on?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I'll be back. I'm not super interested in the next gen updates. I'm more interested in the DLC and the quality of life stuff they do change, because I imagine it'll be a lot. And that's something we saw in the Witcher three, right, they were adding new features, new UI changes and whatnot, like for years after that game came out. So I'm super curious to see what they do there.
Speaker 3: Kelly, I don't think so. I I think, I, you know, like I saw the things that I wanted to see. I really you know. I have talked at length about how I love Judy as a character, and I really like PanAm and Rogue and and Johnny, and there's just a lot of stuff that I liked there. But I think, like I, I saw it and I got it, and you know, Night City is such an unpleasant place to be that I I don't know, barring substantial changes that would pique my interests, I don't know if I would really want to return just to just go through all of the stuff I didn't like in order to see those things again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally understand, and I think I need a lot more time.
Speaker 2: Away from it.
Speaker 1: I like I said, I really enjoyed my time in it, despite the issues that I've had with it, and definitely, on reflection, when you're talking about it with other people, you're like, oh, yeah, that bit was annoying, or like, yeah, I didn't like that so much. But I think there is enough of there that I would definitely want to go back. And I think I'm just gonna hold off, you know, regardless of the patches that are gonna come out. I'm gonna wait for a big, substantial thing like DLC to draw me back in because I think I've seen a lot of the of the bad of it, and I want to be optimistic about the good.
Speaker 4: I think just quickly, I think DLC is going to be super interesting because the way that game is set up currently, DLC wouldn't make a lot of sense, Like I don't know how you could necessarily add to V's story without it feeling even more like a waste of time in vis overall narrative. That was a side tangent that I just wanted to get in. But I'm curious to see what they do with DLC.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, thank you too for joining me, and thank you all for watching. If you want to see more side punk, We've got a lot of it here on the channel.
Speaker 2: We've got guides, we've got.
Speaker 1: What we want to see, We've got updates on everything going on with the game, So make sure to this video and subscribe for more.
Speaker 3: You can find us all on Twitter, Kelly. You can find me on Twitter at Inky dogico I n K y D O j I K K O Jake
Speaker 1: You can find me at Jacob dec and I'm at Lucy James Games and we will see soon