Speaker 1: M m m.
Speaker 2: Hello everybody, Welcome to it almost came home. It's it's not quite coming home. You are listening to this presumably on Friday. We are recording this literally minutes after the final whistle of the England Argentina game, where we've not really spoken about the World Cup very much. But like that, that intro here today could have gone to very different ways as it happens. Here we go once again. It's not it's not quite coming home, but quite here we are. We are that's not metal obviously. This is an addition of hype Blast. This is our weekly news show where we let you know everything that's been going on in the world of heavy music. We've got a little bit of news today and the releases, and then primarily we are going to be talking all things bringing the Horizon count your blessings. Repented with the twentieth anniversary celebrations, which included both the re recording of the album that came out last week and also the big twentieth anniversary shows that went down in conspiracy with Outbreak Festival, which which Sam and I both attended. So let us, I don't know, lift the defeat off of our shoulders, right now and roll into some heavy music here on that's not metal. First up, a little bit of news. Mastered On. First of all, have announced the details of their album. It's called Marrow Deep, not Poisonous Weapons, as I kind of think everyone thought it was going to be called because of the tall announcement. There is a song on the album called Poisonous Weapons, so I guess they've just decided to slap that one on the tour title. It's not the song that they have now release can We had the previous single Your Ghost Again and they've now also put out another one which is called Snakes for Dinner Yum yum yum. And it also features a second in their career guest appearance from Josh Homy of Queens of the Stone Age appearing on it. But several things of interest going on with this Mastered On week. I suppose of news and interest. Obviously album coming out, Yeah, yeah, yeah, or want to hear that that is August the twenty eighth, the album is going to be coming out. It also confirms I suppose we have like a full band picture here for the first time ever, Mastodon are officially a five piece with the guitarist Nick Johnston, who has been you know, playing with them live since the departure of Brent Hines last year. But also they have officially integrated the keyboardist how Nogia, so they are like officially a full on prog rock five piece by the sounds of you know, the moog solos and the keyboard sales and shit that we go on in both of these singles.
Speaker 1: It's mad.
Speaker 2: Obviously we know that. You know, Brent, even before his really sad passing last year, was not in the band, but getting the a band picture with a five piece master on five piece Mason.
Speaker 1: It's a weird, like that thing that the pr shot that's coming, like the news. I was like, that's going to take some getting used to again, even Breton not being there, because Brent visually one of the most kind of like striking metal musicians ever. But like that, and now that there's two other guys in there and it is this mass on five piece like it is, it is a weird thing obviously because I saw it live before when they were just sort of live members. But now that they are a vision of like I mean, that's great because I mean there was a really good chemistry live between the five of them, and it felt like they were really vibe and playing together. So this this still was like a cool, itterational mass on, but it is just an odd thing to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I wonder if if there's any degree of you know, people worried about it missing Brent or something, which, to be clear, I think it may well, do you know, even it's.
Speaker 1: Gone, He's such a vital part of their sound.
Speaker 2: Even if Mathodon continue to be great, as I also kind of think they will be doing, it won't be the same, right, That is just undeniable. But if you're going to, you know, if you lose a component like that, one way of you know, filling in some sound in the mix maybe is just to go bring in a full time keyboardist, right and just completely go mad with that stuff. There's also in the mix of the album as a whole list of guests. So obviously mentioned Josh Trump from Queens of Stone Age on the new track that's come out, but there is also a wild list of folks who are going to be appearing on this album, both Nate Newton and Ben Koller from Converge and on different songs. I might add, it's not that they've just got Converge in there, but apparently there's two different songs with two different members of Converged on them. Lamb of God's Randy Blythe is also on one of these songs Clutches Neil Fallon or another returning obviously mastered on guests from you know, the Golden Era kaji Is Joda Plantier in there as well, and only fucking Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath. So is that the most re list of guests ever assembled on a heavy album, not including things like Probot or whatever, which are like literally themed around having different guests, And that is a wild bunch of folks on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the thing is that they all feel right for mass On again, it's kind of brilliant of how why reaching mass One Sandal where like they're very different bands, but they all kind of like feel like they can gel so nicely. Like obviously the Converge ones are the ones that kind of like speak to me. Neil Fallon coming back for another one is you know, one of the all time greatest guest spots ever, like in metal in any genre way, you want to say that blood kind of one is unbelievable can't wait to hear what he's going to do again with Massively. It's I think it's a real kind of like exciting thing to add to this album.
Speaker 2: It seems like almost almost a family gathering to me, and I wonder if you know, I can't want to sort of read too deeply into this already, but we obviously we know that this is going to be another you know, fairly longline at this stage, but particularly another weighty album from matterdon Thematically, and that's been you know, obviously a big topic conversation just this week as well, because after we recorded last week show yeah yeah, they mastered on put out. You may well have seen it quite lengthy sort of you know, to camera interview type piece with the three remaining you know, key members talking about essentially, you know, the ups and downs of their relationship with Brent and how that all came to an end and where they are now with it, you know, kind of approaching a year later. And I thought that was you know, certainly a brave and how kind of unvarnished it was feature they put out there. I think that there I could imagine people watching that and almost being affronted, I suppose by the sort of level of openness they were with which they spoke about, you know, Brent and his time in that band and how it came to an end and all of that. I think to a degree, it's like, what what can you do? You know, you can't rewrite the history like they all say in it. They all wanted it to have a different ending, you know, and unfortunately everybody was was deprived of that. But and we're going back to the album and the guests. When you've got characters like Neil Fallon and Josh Homie who have you been on mastered albums before? And everyone involved in there is there's no newer faces there, right, It's either people who have kind of come up alongside mastered on so like you know, Kajira or even converged to a degree, or obviously in Geezer, Butler like you know, one of the initial inspirations all of this. Yeah, it almost feels like, you know, it's like the the end of a saga where you see all the people, the faces that you've known coming together. I think there's definitely some sort of you know, there's history to this list of folks on there. And I do just want to also point out, just for anyone who might not have seen it, that the album cover for it, which is classic you know, Paul Romano mastered on style artwork, but you know, littered with details, as there always is with with with his artworks for Masterdon. But if you look at the faces, if you look around sort of towards the right hand side of the mastered on logo, a little bit past where the end is, and there's a little row of faces, you can quite clearly see Brent Hines in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the tattoo is very like this give well on that one. But like I miss idea initially, and then when I saw some of the thing as you posted that the Zooner version, was like, oh yeah, cool that that feels very on brand of having this like thematically kind of like dense, visually interesting arranged mass on album mark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's absolutely unmistakable in there. But yeah, August of twenty eighth we'll be hearing the full extent of this, you know, particularly significant weighty master on record. Let's keep on the Joff homykick, I suppose for a moment, because Queens of the Stone Age have released a single. It is their first piece of new music in three years, which doesn't feel that long since the last Queens of Sooner album. I love that album quite a bit. But first new piece of music in three years, not part of a new record as of yet.
Speaker 1: Weird.
Speaker 2: This is strange single this it's called easy Street. And the way that I suppose you have to make sense of this is if you heard this just out of context new Queens of Stone as track, you go, what the fuck has happened? What they doing? If you have not been, like, you know, following kind of close to the ground what Queens have been doing. Obviously, they put out the new record in twenty three and they tore that and everything. But past sort of like eighteen months or so, they've been doing this very bizarre kind of like old school. I don't want to say stripped back because it's kind of not like there's so many components involve what they've been doing. But they're doing a more sort of acoustic style Queen's set up, which they've sort of labeled as the Catacombs type setup because it started with them playing a set in the Paris Catacombs. But then they were like, actually, you know, touring on big stages and stuff like that. And my understanding is that this is a song that kind of you know, germinated and appeared on stage as part of this whole run, and now we've got a studio, you know, version of it. I don't know if this means that we will have a like full on, almost converged blood Moon style, right, you know, like Queen's stone Age, a Catacombs type album. I would be very curious if that was to happen. I would just say, if you just hear this single on its own and go, what the fuck is happened Queens of stone Age, maybe don't read too much into it, right, I don't think this is a long term direction that we were going on here.
Speaker 1: Well. I mean, even if this was part of an album, I just took this as kind of like it might just be a weird deviation on the album. Queenstonage had been known to kind of like do this. I'm not a fan of this single massively. It's kind of doing like a sort of Springsteen Americana thing, but like haunted and weird and kind of like offbeat in a way that to me that would make sense as a Quins stage approach to it. I'm just not sure it entirely works for me, but like as a one off, if it's part of this sort of thing, fair enough, you know, take a swing on something like this, But it's not something I'm entirely into when I was kind of giving up to really be into new Queens of the Stone Age music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'm not really you know, especially taken with a single either. But it also even sounds out of character to me from what I had seen of the Katacomb stuff because if you watch, for example, very recently they put out a KXP session with like twenty musicians in that little studio that they do those things right, because there's loads of you and the cat Whom style. When we say they're acoustic, it's weird, like it's not just are we're stripping about the songs and we're playing them an acoustic guitar like there are there's so much shit in there, and it's almost like the I say, the kind of haunted vaudeville side of Queens Real going out of control, And this single doesn't actually have as much to me, Like if you've listened to this right after watching that that session I just described, they feel quite different. So even if we were to get a record this this doesn't to me actually sound like what I have seen of the show they've been doing, and it does feel like a strained sort of outlier. Yeah, I mean, we don't know. If there is a record, it might just be this weird standalone song. We get nothing more from it, in which case maybe people won't think about it, you know, for too long after this point. But even if we were to get a record, doesn't sound like what they have been doing. It's very very strange. I would be curious about if we got more material in this vein. I think you just maybe have to, you know, you set their expectations appropriately and be like, okay, we're going on a side tangent here, we're going on a detour rather than like, you know, the main line Queen's records, so to speak. But there you go. What we are certainly mainlining is new Nickelback, whoever announced that they have got a new album called Everything under the Sun, which is going to be coming out in October. And there's a song called Rattle the Cage was the last Nickelback album, the one that we reviewed that had San Quentin on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is just carrying on the film, like Nickelback albums, opening with like a bit of a banger and then probably the rest it's gonna be a bit shit because that's what like Sam Quentin was on that on that album, was like, oh this, you know, with the panic chords and that big let the record show. I did it all for rock and roll chorus. That's rocking. And I think this first track on this one with John five guessing on it like fine, Like I think it's again, it's kind of just a Nickelback hard rock kind of riffy banger. And then the other song they released is a bit rubbish, so I was like, yeah, look back business as usual.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's San Quentin song, and it was. It was the thirty song on that record. The other one was the skinny little mixing it was and they were two of the catchiest Nickelback songs ever and they were so fucking stupid.
Speaker 1: This one.
Speaker 2: I don't necessarily feel like we're quite in that territory just yet, but there you go. New Nickelback coming out in October, and then also on the new album announcement front September, the twenty fifth Noctool, which is Serena Cherry coming up to formally being a star Bard. I suppose they're in there sort of last months as a band right now, aren't they. But the second Noctual album, which is her black metal elden Ring Slash Skyrim themed.
Speaker 1: About saying elden Ring has supplanted Skyrim as the fancy RPG game that all the black metals are all about now and I support it. There you go.
Speaker 2: But the second album from that project is going to be coming out on September the twenty fish. You're self releasing it as well, so good for her looking forward to that. Napalm Death have made history by becoming the first grindcore band, maybe the first of more extreme metal band.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't go through the archives, but certainly they've been labeled as the first ground core band to play a NPR Tiny Desk concert, Which is a sentence that sounds like it's been going around the sort of social media for years as a meme, right, like the idea of what would be the most absurd one to happen, and the name like the average kind of extreme metal name that first comes into your mind. Who are like a flagship of like you know music noise, Napalm Death come to mind, which I suppose is why NPR have like made the effort being like if we are going to get a full and extreme band because they had that turnstile doing it last year. Who I think they made history as doing the first NPR tiny desk stage dive of that kind of thing, but going full on extreme music having Napalm Death as your first one is like the I don't know, It's just there's perfection to it, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It feels right. I've no chance to watch the whole video yet, but Napalm de Tied Death Concert is just such a funny collection of words, but it kind of just feels like, yeah, it should be Napalm Deaf. It should be a band who have been that pivotal to the development of like extreme noisy, harsh grind core, all that sort of stuff, and not just grind core, but just again like extreme noise music. It should be a band like that who I've been at the forefront of it for so long getting their flowers goes off, being the Troilblazers. They are again to do the first tiny Desk concert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have watched it and a few points. First of all, the mixing on it, I imagine must have been extremely difficult to do because it's Napalm Death. They're not fucking changing what they they're doing, right, They're not doing the Catacombs stripped down accus thing. They're playing like Napalm Death, right, But they are in like a small office setting, so they can't like just turn it up to garbled noise, you know, and that genuary. The mixing job of making it like sound like Napalm Death but at almost quieter volume somehow is like I imagine it must have been a serious tightrope to walk, so fair play there. And the thing is seeing Barney using a microphone that is cemented onto a mic stand is weird as fuck because you can see him like gearing up to do his run. I've never seen him, yeah, I've never seen him use a stationary micro before. And you can see him kind of in the spotty standing on sort of antsy, you know, running around like in a tiny little like a like a tiny animal in a cage, right, but then having to come back to this like actual microhone stand each time. I imagine it would be a very surreal experience. For him, but you know they kill it because of course they do, and yes they do death yeah, and yes they do end the set on you suffer. So there you go. A few more Neurosis shows have been added up to this point since their new album and come back and everything. The only show that we had confirmed was their performance at Fire in the Mountains festival, which is happening sort of roughly round about now, wish sort of middle of this month. I think it might be this weekend. I'm not sure, but the first shows after that festival have been announced, and it's only three shows right now, all in America, but it is two nights at the San Francisco Filmore on October sixteenth and seventeenth, which I imagine would be just incredible. And speaking of on September the fifth, so a little bit before those shows, they have been invited to, I guess be the sort of special guest to Acid Bath show in North Carolina, which already had the openers of Ky Leser and the Melvins. So yes, just to confirm in running order, that is Acid Bath, Neurosis, Melvin's Kylezer on a show everyone in North Carolina, fucking a. You have to get to that good lord.
Speaker 1: Acid Bath show again. These acids have continued to look ridiculous every time they pop up, and you're gonna get like playing the stage system, like there's what an acid Bath and on all that sort of shit, and now you're going to go like acid Bath and Neurosis to comebacks that seem like impossible a couple of years ago, and then they are like there they are showing stage together, fucking unbelievable. Like if you're in North Carolina and you're not going to that, what are you doing? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean even the fact that acid Bath are the bigger logo headlining over Neurosis, Like if you show that to someone five years ago, it would have been like, what, how the fuck has that happened? And it does make sense because acid Bath, I think, in terms of tickets right now, and I probably streaming numbers would assume as well, the bigger draw because of everything that we've you know, discussed at length with acid Bath, this particular show is obviously acid Bath. I mean famously acid Bath have been kind of hand curating and hand picking their support for all their shows, and they've obviously gone, well, this show, why don't we just invite Neurosis because you're available. Yeah, I bet that these guys have some kind of history, you know, existing in the scene together. So I think it is a special one off show. But Lead Neurosis is main support Acid Bar fucking crazy. Here he is hopen that you know, they are of course still in twenty twenty six right now, but here is hoping we have moren euro of the shows announced by next year, we could have something on this side of the pond to look forward to and celebrate. We do right now at the very six we have an Unpeople tour. I don't know if that's necessarily a stand in for Neurosis, but I'm sure a lot of people will be excited for an other People UK and Ireland headlines tour happening in January of twenty twenty seven. Is about nine or ten dates here or up and down the country and again over to Ireland as well. So good for them playing the Electric Ballroom in London, which I imagine is them, you know, sort of climbing up the venue ladder a little bit after their album comes out. And unfortunately some sad news this week coming from the Nocturnus camp, the general the death metal world I think has been a little bit in mourning for the past couple of days because one of those ediosyncratic early days cult legends has left us in Mike Browning, who was I think perhaps the original drummer of Morbid Angel. He performed on you know, some of their most legendary, you know, genre defining early demo material. This includes the Abominations of Desolation sort of mini sort of demo album they did that was meant to come out before it was of Madness, and there are many people out there for whom that is their you know, Morbid Angel record that they will talk about a choice, even though it's not officially a studio album. And then, after his departure from Morbid Angel, formed the very very weird death metal band Nocturnus, who right there again at the sort of late eighties dawn of the nineties, were one of the very first death metal bands to include synthesizers and keyboards as a major frontal element, full on sci fi themes and stuff like that, very ahead of the curve when we're talking about you know, sort of spacey, proggy, cosmic death metal and some of the stuff that's all the rage today. It's no surprise that you've seen people from bandside Blood and Cantation and so on posting major tributes to Mike Browning because he's truly one of the pioneers. Unfortunately escapes my mind who I saw this run, but one of the several tributes that have you come across my timeline in the past couple of days, I saw someone saying that Mike Browning was one of the people who first imagined that death metal could be something more than just what we naturally assume death metal to be. And in again that kind of sticking truth that underground path one of the real outsider sort of visionaries of the death metal scene, to absolutely a major duffin of the cap to mister Mike Browning from morb An Angel and nocturn Us. Let us move on to I suppose the meat of this show. We have the release roundup. First of all, I will quickly say that over on the Patreon Rare Occasion actually as it's going out on Friday, you have two shows to listen to you right now, because also on Friday, as this goes out, there should also be over on the Patreon the final part of our corn special going live on the same day if you hop over there. All right now there will be part four of the Corn Band special that have we been doing for the last three months or so, wrapping it all up with this final part bringing us up to the present day. We have looked over all things Corn right from the beginning ending now on their legacy, we have the unenviable task of ranking all like fourteen of their records at the end of this to do as well. But that is over there right now at patron dot com slash That's not Mattter, which is also the best way to support this podcast, so thank you everybody getting their teeth into that. Releases for this week in July. First up, there's actually one from from last week, but it was a surprise release, so I just throw it out now. Final Resting Place, who are the sort of full on, sloppy, toilet brittle death metal band who have primarily become beloved not in the death metal world, but actually in the hardcore world. They surprise released an album of there is called Third World Tribunal. And because given what I've just sort of described there, it was of no surprise to me that the first thing I heard about this was from Your End Sam being like a surprise Final Resting Place album.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I was gonna, oh, I was just going for new releases and it kind of I was like, oh, oh, yeah, I'm down for some like hardcore leaning Brital death metal with an insane snare tone. And that's kind of what I got. Like good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't realize until I think it was last week when we were doing the Devil Master album announcement that a member of Devilmaster plays in Final Resting Plays. I think they'd like share sha Actually yeah, I think they share like a bassist or or something like that. But there is someone else in both of those flands. But there you go, there's a connection. Let's get into properly. The releases that are coming out today this Friday, the seventeenth, the most long awaited of them and certainly a record that we will be getting our teeth into come the next review show, which should be next week, really is Loathes long awaited next album, A Stranger to You, their first album in six years, one of the most just all eyes on them metal core bands of the last decade or so, really and definitely the most long awaited album that they have put out to date, so it's time to time to get into it and see what will make of it and make your mind up. We also have from that well, I suppose the metal core world is the genre that is dominated today's releases, mostly because we also have a band that we don't really like, but one of the biggest bands in that genre over the modern day upon a time. Yeah, Motionless in White is referring to their new album Decade. We covered a couple of singles from it, there you Go, that's out and also an up and comer band and a record that has had you know, certain amount of type put on it. Boundaries as the name of this band and their album Yearning the Unbeautiful After Sam, I don't know if we're going to talk about this one or not. Again, we've got quite a lot of medical albums to be talking about right now in hardcore albums as well. But whereas what's your you know again ahead of hearing the album right now, what is your sort of general stance on Boundaries?
Speaker 1: I really like I think have been their debut album that was from a couple of years a guy I remember really liking, and then this album definitely feels like there play it something slightly bigger on like that sounds a bigger label now, And after that controversial single where they had to release a new version of a different mix, Yeah, it feels like there's obviously a lot of eyes on boundaries where they're they're on those metical band to come from the metallic hardcore side of things, who are now really crossing over into the kind of more octane core commercial metal course sort of thing. And this feel was like an how almost like bridge the gaps from the two. I'm curious as to how it's going to play out.
Speaker 2: Yes, then in the kind of the proggy side of that's world, I suppose we have the return of Protest the Hero with their album Within. Then we have got a self titled album career defining I'm sure from as it is, those useless pop punk merchants.
Speaker 1: But there you go.
Speaker 2: In I know, a better side of the punk world. The Mendingers have got their new album Everything I Ever Saw obviously always cause for celebration around these parts. The new Mensingers album. We're talking about that of course, post hardcore visionaries, you know, early pioneers of that world, Quicksand have got their new album Bring on the Psychics. I don't know if we will have room to review this one, but where have you generally sort of stood on like latter day recent Quick Sland. I suppose I've not ever.
Speaker 1: Been massing into this latter day stuff. It's still solid enough, but like their nineties output is why I kind of like really live with quicksand maybe I'll kind of revisit some of those latter albums and see if my opinion change. But they never grabbed me as much as when I discovered Quick Sad and really got into those nineties records.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough, but there you go. Of course, legends in that world, then more in the death metal side of the hardcore world. I suppose that you know, bridging those two worlds. Fuming Mouth with the Ringing Bell who also a reminder for this record of recruited J Weinberger, formerly of course on the drums. Then we have a sort of collab album between a band called fed Ash and also Hers aka the Hers Collective Great Grindcore Power. That's type band who we've spoken about before. They've got a colab record together called I Am Body Horror. Then, as we venture fully into the death metal underground, we have Left to Die, which is a band consisting of like several people who were once in the band Death. It's one of those several like Death tribute bands that's been going around. But here they seem to have like actually recorded in a studio form. I think, like really early years Death demos, like Mantas era songs and stuff like that, but I know, giving them a new spit of Polish. If you want to hear that, then that record is called Initium Mortis Australian tech Death longer in about At this point, Psycroptic have got the Pulse of Annihilation back in the UK, I've got a more homegrown thrash metal band. We've got Imperium with Exodus Unknown, Flemish experimental gothy black metal band Emptiness got a couple of really good records at band Emptiness Nowhere Speaks is the name with their new one, and then a couple of EPs. There's the prog band Haken with Inner Fever Dream and the UK sort of you know industrial modern metal type band Red Method with as in Life. So that is what is out today. But we are really here mainly for the rest of the episode to talk about all things bringing it back twenty years to the anniversary that we never saw coming in terms of having any sort of celebration for it. But we've gone over all of that. We've had a couple months of knowing about bringing the horizons Count Your Blessings plans. We have done a album club, you know, back on the original form of that record and looking forward, you know, looking into that record appeal, I suppose, and just acknowledging how surreal it is that twenty years of Count Your Blessings, that record has gone from a like quite maligned thing in many many circles to now having this absolute gushing loving for it from both band who seems to reject it at times in their career and you know press, who I'm sure would have lambasted it at some point, like everyone's just coming ah, you know, time heels all wounds, We're gonna be okay, got your blessings now. But they last week they put out the re recorded titled The Repented Version of the album. That album also features a new song you know, recall it sort of in you know, more than bring Me sort of style of at least trying to revive a little bit of death cord to it and we had last weekend, the against sponsored by Outbreak, full on no barrier. As with Outbreak, you know, set up the Horizon shows playing first of all the entirety of County of Blessings, then as we'll get onto some other stuff as well, and featuring a whole lineup of other bands coming along with them. So we're gonna spend an hour or so talking about just generally our feelings on all of that, because we did go to those shows. You Sam, were at the Friday There were two nights at the BC Arena in London in Manchester. Yes it was the outside car park bit obviously if you went to Outbreak proper, that's where the mainstay was. You went to the Friday one. I went the following day on the Saturday. We can sort of feel in each other's you know, yeah whatever, I think roughly the same things will have happened, but you know, different different moments here and there standing out or going one way or another.
Speaker 1: But this turned out to be a.
Speaker 2: A really warm, cracking occasion, I thought, like considering there was a lot of particularly after Outbreak itself, and there was some of the discourse around all, you know, the kind of crowds and behavior and all this kind of stuff. There was a lot of like, oh my god, wait till two weeks time when they bring me fan to Rave turned out to be just a.
Speaker 1: Really like lovely quite special then Yeah, I mean I think what I was said that front, there was a lot of effort put into letting people know and we'll get onto that with the sort of stuff of that bring Me show as well. But like even before the sort of the videos all that there was emphasis on there is no barrier, guys, don't camp out of the front. This is like you're not going to survive, like and I think like they clearly were trying to sort of be known beforehand to try and minimize risks. I'm sure there were you know, bumps and knocks picked up for maybe at the front and stage divers like as were, but it didn't seem to be discourse causing nightmare scenario that a lot of people were kind of like because my being with the show was I was like, this is going to be like a generational all timer like one off, like two off sort of show, but like you were fucking there for it, or it's going to be a disaster of like well, we're not trying that again, and I'm so glad that largely it seemed to be the former.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I think, you know, considering like I said, some of the stuff we're dicussing about main Outbreak turned out to be better than that in terms of just sort of running smooth like I suppose, and also just then the vibes because you know, we're gonna go through all the bands we saw, particularly by obviously Bring Me Set, it had become really something to remember, like we will all remember if you were there, but even just from the beginning looking around and like some of the fucking scene fits that were rocking around Manchester on on that weekend, like we're hair spray like we haven't seen in in some some years, Fucking Neon purple shirts with like skeleton Monster hands over the titties, Like that's that's the full, uh, you know, revival of style that not everybody, but certainly some people are like, wow, I don't know if you've dressed up for the occasion or if you were just always.
Speaker 1: Singing that much. Yeah, Like I've not seen that much Neon eggings. I think it's a mixture of like some people throwing it back some people have about that phase, and to be fair, it quiet has been happening, is that that neon scene revival thing has been creeping into newer generations. They are looking back at that kind of going, wow, wasn't that a cool time. I'm gonna start dressing like that now. And I'm just like, oh, bless you, Like this is misguided, but bless you for thinking that this fashion nightmare was actually cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think we're sort of gonna fly a little bit through you know, the other bands who played, then we'll talk a little bit about the actual record record, and then we'll talk about bringing these main set. So it started off with the date we would describe, and you know, from the whole the presentation of the poster and everything, how right it felt in terms of, like, you know, getting the mood of it right, in terms of a genuine celebration of that you know, two thousand and six type yeah moment. That's not to say that every single band here is an oldie, because obviously quite a few of them were newer bands, but just even the way the poster, like we're saying we're sort of throwing back and stuff, it felt like, you know, the presentation of it was right, and that was certainly the case with the very first band on being Still in Love, which is a you know, a newer UK hardcore band. They really said, David, I think last year, but the band last year. Yeah, yeah, but that out band does feature Curtis Ward, who was the other member of Being the Horizon, Cirki count Your Blessings the other guitarists on that record. So even just the fact that I know that there have been shows in the past where they've invited him off on stage and stuff like that that didn't happen. But just the fact that he was there present on the bill as part of the you know, the day celebrating the record that he helped write. It was just one of those immediate like yeah, this is we're doing this the right way, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, like you know, it's not just Curtsward, that's members of like Dead Swans, Brutality will prevail, yeah, last weitkness. Like if you like, if you were into UK hardcore or the turn of the two twenty tens, you'll have seen and liked being fans of the bands that make up Still in Love and as a sound they are just such a throwback to that particular thing. I really like them because I like Brutality Will Provail and Last Witness and Dead Swans, and they're doing that sort of thing like and that they do really works. And they've got like a real crunchy, heavy guitar tone that raw kind of like impassioned not quite melodic hardcore, but that's slightly less kind of like tough guy match. I think that was sort of like the hardcore and I think they just they just slam that out in thirty minutes of these songs, and like, yeah, I thought, like great sort starts stay of having something that is new but of the era we're thrown back to. At the same time, it was a good way to get things going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, emotionally heart on sleeve, but also like aggressive and like fast. I always say in the current era, whenever I hear a band doing kind of fast hardcore parts and even like throwing some blasts and stuff like that, it always it makes me happy. And uh yeah good. Seeing as was again a a very unique event of like one of the biggest like mainstream metal bands in the world taking over like a traditionally hardcore event, right, this is a good omen of like, yeah, like the straight away. The first band on the hardcore side of that is Preys and still be correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: There was a part when they had like a you know, a guest singer came out and she grabbed the mic and did her first and it's like, yeah, this feels like watching a hardcore show, right, even though I'm at the big you know, sponsored Bringing with the Horizon day, it felt it felt right after that was from the main stage, because they did it. Turned out I thought it was gonna just be like sort of an all day or affair on the one stage starting at like you know, one o'clock or something like that. It started like four, and it did split between two stages, which I didn't especially mind. You know, the day was shorter and less hiring for one thing. Yeah, there was a couple of clashes involved, which again I didn't especially mind too much. And then the only band I didn't see any of it was Harriet because they like basically entirely overlapped with rother To MASSI I saw like a few songs of Static Dress and then went over to see the other band who were on during that. But there's sort of two stage back and forth when outside main stage opening band was a back called shoving Teeth, who I did not know. Turns out that's a fairly reasonable thing to happen because they've only got two songs currently released. But obviously they did play a full set, so imagine as a record on the way, and this was more Again, if you watch Still in Love and he went like, yeah, they were in a hardcow environment, this feels like watching a hardcore show showing Teeth was more on the metal core side of it. But I would still say while I you know, I liked the music less than Still in Love because it was kind of, you know, after the burially heavier end of spirit Box style. You know, it's a bit of slap base even, but sort of like you know, gent ish modern metalcore. It was at least on the more abrasive, you know, more teeth appropriately sort of end of that. It wasn't like they had just slapped you know, one of the metalcal bands we hate on there. It was like, you know, a heavier, kind of gnarlier modern metical band who still fit in the flow of the event.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd say so, I mean, like I think, because it's actually it's like the project is kind of just the vocalist. I think it's her sort of project.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she is called showing teeth, but then she has musicians and like.
Speaker 1: In fairness she is like I was like, do you know what, she's a good vocalist, she's got presents, she is got that heavier vocal tone and musically like none of the songs really made. But I was kind of like, I'm with you. It wasn't totally wet synthetic like metalcore that is like I find skin plong now. I was like, this is you know, solid Jenny metalcore. There's potential there, like maybe we've got now when you've kind of got a bit more identity of your songs. But it was it didn't like bother me like Eva. I was like, you know what, fair enough of this is what your sort of real modern commercial metal representation is. It could have been a hell of a lot worse, certainly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Fine, Then was a car underwater? Who are a new Avand I think they have a member of military gun in there, which feels I know, I guess, you know, do whatever you want, but it feels like a jump away from military gun because this is much more full on like you're wearing and I promised the world T shirt right now, and it sort of seems to fit in that kind of style of like this is so full on MySpace style stuff, not even as heavy as about it I promised to well, because it's much more like genuine singing. They have like the two the classic the two singers. You know, they've got a screamer and a singer, but like full on, fucking high pitch vocal two thousand and five MySpace emo, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even when i's a bit of like they used points like that, is that kind of like that that sort of melodic but slightly scrappy emo with a touch postagle. I enjoyed it. I'm they're not my favorite of these from like seeing revival bands, but at the same time, I kind of am just kind of down to go with this sort of thing. I think like they've got some really well basically go really melodic and sort of that they're they're some of the things that give them a bit more n more from the other kind of like my Space metal Coourse sort of revival stuff. But yeah, I thought again, if you if you're you're female, there around throwing back to two thousand and six, bringing along one of the part of this whole revival movement that's going on. It makes sense to have one of these. And then we had I promise sort of outbreak car under Water from a new one who again getting some attention. They seem to fit the bill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with that because I think this was the band who maybe musically I enjoyed least of the day because.
Speaker 1: It shocked me because it's it's yeah pure, it.
Speaker 2: Was too wet for me, you ironically, but I thought the same thing in terms of, even though it's not an older band, if we are, you know, this is a love letter of two thousand and six, right the bill, even though we're primarily we'll lead towards a heavier side of what that was. And the whole scene thing. It made sense that such a scene revival type band would play, you know, this particular thing. So in a way, you know, I watched a little bit their set and I was like, you know, what, props to you keeping that you know that side of the scene alive. Good for you. After that, again, the clashes started to happen a little bit. Oh no, it was dying Wish before.
Speaker 1: That point, Harriet Dying Wision to Harriett were like right at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mixed up, sorry with the running up, but anyway, yea, So Harriet were playing on the Insoor stage. I didn't see any of them. They are Harriet, so they'll be around next week, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure that was my logic as well.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that they put on a good set and you know, prop to them, but that you know that they're about Dying Wish. I had not actually seen Dying Wish before because they kept touring with worst bands and playing the bad festival bills.
Speaker 1: They did play with Malevolent. She could have you could have gone to Manchester Simil with Malevolence last year. Oh that was on one that was during fucking Damnation though, wasn't it of course?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so no I couldn't. Actually, so this was my first time actually seeing Dying Wish and they are definitely one of my favorites of the last like you know, five years whatever of newer metalcore bands. So happy to see them. I know that you obviously are you know, a bigger Mira of them as well, and I thought they killed it in terms of coming out and being you know, living up to maybe having a bit of a reputation of being one of the nastier bands, even though they had such a large proponent of melody in there and that really came across well as well. But you know, arriving on this Cat Your Blessings day and Emma was fucking like just grinning with like razor sharp teeth and high kicking everywhere, ripping into what are some of the more scathing, you know, metalcore songs to be released of Like I had had a great time seeing Dying Wish for the first time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they lead into the sort of the nastier end of their sound obviously, like the new album has some of their biggest choruses, but it's also got some of their like dirtiest, meanest music. But even the older stuff they did, I think they were like this is we want people moshing. We are for the moshas Like on the fraise, everyone's were like be dazzled, cowboy boots or high kicking in them. I was like, fucking yes, girl, Like I thought they were brilliant. This is my second time seeing them, and I think they're just they're so confrontational, like the rest of the band are constantly berating the crowd to mosh harder. Emma's sort of like stalking that stage, owning it and again just being so antagonistic. But then when those choruses hit, they're so big, and I think the around which is like the leads on the last time that so that chorus is huge coming off the back of just how like nasty and crushing the rest of the song is. I mean, that's the sort of that's the thing Dan, which is they are the melodic bits are bigger and better because everything else is so much more sort of hateful and nasty and that and that's why the things can make to so well. I think that they are of the sort of the modern Elkle band. They are so clearly one of my favorites. I thought they crushed it. They you know, came on half an hour and just sort of bullied the crowd into moshing harder than anyone else had so far this day, and then just left and was like, yeah, job done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they played was it Coward's Feed Coward Bleed? Whether that song was called from the first album, and I wish, I wish I had gotten to them around the first album because like I want to hear like Innate first, and you know, the title track and some of the songs I like the same from that first album. This, I wouldn't necessarily say that it was like my favorite collection of Dying Whish songs apart from I would definitely say the sort of standout singles from the latest record, because we praised the kind of the the sort of darker, meaner, sludgier, you know, doomia even side of what they're they were able to turn themselves into in there, and I thought that, you know, bringing that oppressive energy, and I also thought, I said, it's my first time seeing them live. On the singing choruses, Emma was like pitch perfect.
Speaker 1: She's like really good, She's like really come along withy as a vocalist.
Speaker 2: Legitimately, the melodies and the delivery of them sounded like almost exactly like the album, like she was not missing a beat of it at all, and that is while still you know, throwing herself into the more you know, agro hardcore parts off the beat and stuff like that. And you know, they came out and the first thing anyone said was, I think with the basis was like, this show so good, you get it twice on the second day, and it was like, yeah, it's just they they brought a really good energy to it. This is where I was saying that, you know, the classes started to go back and forth a little bit. So I saw the first like three songs of Stating Dress because obviously we spoke about Stating Dress at the main Outbreak show when they did the secret set and tried to convince everyone for a few seconds that they were title fight. This was much more normal obviously. But you know, I'd enjoyed their set Main Outbreak, and here they came out and they opened with was It Questioning and Pharmacy Film, which are two of the better songs from their you know, very good new album. So I saw those and I was like, cool, yes, good, And then I imagine I did what you also did, which is went inside for the best band on the bill. If we're being honest, yes, yeah, Rolo Tamasi. And this isn't necessarily say that they put on a better show anything. I'm just saying that I think there's an argument that when you look at the scene, that this show was maybe celebrating, right, So again the crop of British hardcore and metallic hardcore medical bands who appeared around the mid noughties with Bringing the Horizon and Architects and you know, Devil's Soldier Soul and Roller to Massy and even going through to Berry Tomorrow and While She Sleeps In. Those bands start to appear in the early twenty tens and that kind of thing. Yeah, I think there's an argument that across those twenty years the best band was Rollo to Massive.
Speaker 1: MASSI I think when you look at what that band had gone on to do the last two albums, how just like unbelievably and that the way they've sort of grown and defied genres and something like, they are just one of the greatest of UK metal bands of the of the twenty first century without a doubt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so it really got see him on this bill. There's a story that James related from the stage where their first ever show was opening for Bring Me because they're both originally from Sheffield and the sort of Sheffield area, so their first ever show it makes you know, it's so right again for the old head stuck going to have them together there, even if you know, I think they're obviously the band who the younger and new were more kind of you know, radio rock cleaning. Bring Me fans would have maybe the least connection an interest with I think it was still right that they appear on that bill. They also play here a little bit less than they maybe used to, because I think Eva lives in America, so there's you know, sort of flying back and forth and stuff like that. And I think it's been like sort of three four years, like basically since the album you know tour they did for the latest record, since Rollo you know appeared in the UK, and you're gonna take that chance to go in and see them. And we were talking a little bit about whether Rolo would follow suit with Bring Me and go full on retro with it and bring back the Nintendo core and do the crazy, you know, wild early wacky mathcore stuff of their early years and really throw it to two thousand and six. They didn't do that. Maybe some people were slightly disappointed by that, but what they did do is essentially prove why they are, as we have just said, arguably the still best band of yeah that crop, because coming out and playing basically all songs from the last two albums as well as that EP that they put out that last year just for you know, fifty to sixty minutes. It did depend on the fucking day. I don't know if you want extra song compared.
Speaker 1: To what we got. Why I cut out on the last song actually to get a spot for bring Me because it was like cutting fine and everyone was like the crowd is shoes.
Speaker 2: I had to find my mate, so I did so. I probably saw you look at the set list, it does look like we've got the same thing. But essentially, like I said, the last ten years of Rollo inside an hour, fucking treat Yes, brilliant, always, always.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable band like that. They they were slightly misfortunate of like I mean again, because they haven't translated to the younger fans. They are the cult band on the lineup. They did pull by far the smallest crowd on that day.
Speaker 2: It was really funny though, looking around and seeing a all the slightly older people on site, like everyone who's grown a beard appearing, but also all the people in the coolest shirts, Like if you looked around and anyone who was like who was wearing a black netull shirt or like a post rock shirt or something like that they were all the people who made the way to see I was like, ah, yes, the Damnation attendees that.
Speaker 1: The we're the people who have accumulated. Yeah, no, absolutely, And I was like I was like, you know what whatever, because they were fucking majestic, Like the sort of the screen behind them were like the images and the way it kind of silhouetted the band so at times when it was like just dancing as like a shadow across the stage looked amazing, sounded amazing. Aftermath, when they go full on dream pop is like that is one of my favorite my songs. I mean, he's just absolutely beautiful. But when they go heavy, just wind of like just how much they cross and even when they're doing somethings that have you know on some of those where they have somethings that had that almost like some more gent riffing. At times they just sound so much more explosive and exciting coming from a bad like relad to MASSI You're watching them on the stage and like when James and up but then he's like flying on the seas like they're just so exciting to watch. It was like a genuine kind of just like awe, inspiring, Like, yeah, we should get Dad to massive around more. But when we do get him, it is an absolute trait because they are, like I say, just majestic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I love just seeing you know, the two siblings, right Eva and James and James you're playing keyboard. But then there are the songs, but he'll come out to the front and still those are the moments where he's so good. Yeah, but I mean it's the same we were when we did the album Club on Hysterics. We were talking about like some of those early, really early videos of like Teenage World to MASSI that still kind of circle around the Internet, and it's this like assault of you know, particularly these two siblings on either side going fucking at it and then watching on stage those same two people, their older, wiser, right, but you know, the just the the innate connection that they have obviously as siblings, and seeing them still up there fucking crushing it together, like it's really it filled me with warmth, you know, like it's it's lovely and it's inspiring. There was even a brilliant bit where because on the Saturday it was a little bit painful to talk about it right now, but on the Saturday. It was right before the previous England game against I can't forget who it was now who we last played, but there you go. And at the very very end, Eva just went and come on England and James was wearing an England shirt. And I don't know if it's just a thing that either that was out of character fa or something, but there was this brilliant moment where James and her after said that sort of locked eyes and he just like laughed at it. Was like, I don't know, against sort of out of style moment, but it's just the spirit was real, really there for it. And I will say, obviously all the heavy stuff so fucking intense aftermath totally agreed. Like the biggest sing along of the day at least from my lungs was that but a flood of Light in the middle. I actually like it. It got me like it, like I started welling, you know, like it just the magical song, the beauty of that, the synth. I just thought on this day at least, particularly that song was just fucking stunning. And yeah, I mean the elder contingent maybe got a really you know, great valued Rotherati MASSI show, but really obviously this was all about one particular event. Before we talk about the bring the set, let us talk a little bit. Obviously, we're not gonna do a full extensive album review because it's it's songs that we mostly already know. You can go, as I said here our album Club that we just released a little while ago on the Patreon talking about the original Count Your Blessings album and its history and our relationship with it or whatever very abridge versions that both of us are to something Scent or another long time Count Your Blessings appreciators, right, and yes, there was something so magical about this day in terms of thinking about that, I don't know, like ten years ago, there have been points where I've like, you know, gone to bat for Count Your Blessings and people have looked at me like what the fuck are you talking about? You absolute like you you simple minded for and then be like, look hout far we've come. Everyone's everyone's caught up. That was a really like, you know, a special tone to the day as well. So we're both fans of the record, the re recorded Repented version, and we were spaking about how fucking just weird and surreal it is that bring me would go back to, you know, bring that record of all of them the most like sloppy, violent, tinged with youthful, at times certainly problematic naivety up to you know, the modern day and what the fuck does that even sound like? I suppose we can talk a little bit again about what what it sounds like. The the re recorded version, I would say, for the most part, is fairly tasteful in the sense that they haven't like meddled too much. We were wondering, for example, whether you know certain lyrics and stuff like that, and there is an argument maybe that certain things should be changed. They have gone down the route of like, you know, this is a reflection of who we were when we were ninety we don't want to know again, sort of tamper too heavily with you know, what that piece of art was at that time. Root of things, which again you can debate the merits of that either either way. But this rerecording I will not be going back to it over the original country blessings, I can say that much. I predicted that much straight away, because it's exceedingly rare that we feel that way, and that is particularly true when we are people maybe who value a more kind of raw live wire recording sound compared to there are several people out there who maybe want their records to be more, you know, up to the standards of kind of contemporary mechanical polish and stuff like that. So do I think this rerecording is better than the original count Your Blessings that I have loved for you know, many many years. No, I don't absolutely no chance, but I will say it is again. They haven't like, it's not a completely unrecognizable record. They have essentially just tweaked it to be like, Okay, if you are someone who does prefer these twenty twenty standards, there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I my first listen was more negative than I and is she expected it to be because I was just I was like, oh no, I didn't like the sort of the more mechanized, compressed sound the bit on my first listen. And I wonder if you have had the same kind of like reaction or don't don't.
Speaker 2: Don't don't say it because I want to predict. Was it the double bass kind of last charge at the very end of Pray for Plagues?
Speaker 1: Yes, when we talk about drums like on my first and I was like, oh, no, you you when you put it throws back to when you pointed that out on the Harriot album.
Speaker 2: And I heard and I was like, I all right that We'll tell you. You know who who is creditors producing this record. It's the guy who does the Orbit Culture albums, and they have been arguably the number one offender of what I would be talking about. So it doesn't surprise me at all that that like overpowering, fucking attack helicopter double bass can sound pops up on this And again the very fight the last like you know, outro of Pray for Plagues was the moment where I did go oh a little bit and then you get which still seems to be so fucking loud, comes in at the end of that. But I while there are moments like that, I don't think it was awful. And it's to the point where if this record came out, you know, it was a brand new record and it was by let's say, like a Psycho frame or something like that, I think I'll be quite wowed by it because fundamentally is still there are you know, loads of riffs and moments and even though dare I say, songs on this that that I really really like, so and you know, while comparing these two records side by side, I do much for a further standard, the original one. That's the one that I will listen to, you know, from now on again. If someone presented me this record, he goes, here's a new death Cord band, I would be like, oh, fucking hey, this is one of the best ones I've heard in ages. So in that sense, still got.
Speaker 1: It that that's my things. Actually this says has something to me that there are songs on on count there is more than just pray for plays. Definitely that like like it's got it. The tracks are there and the things that kick drom is only really a problem for me on that final Prey for Plagues breakdown because it's so knocked up on and it's still the Elks record, but it feels a bit more kind of like less overwhelming. But I was like, these songs, these songs are there, And my thing with this is I'm like, I'm not gonna listen because I'm like, I want this Deaf Court to sound nasty and sort of bloody and and and be more can like raises sort of like the mech and I sound just doesn't do it for me as much anymore. But if this is what it takes to get people to recognize that actually calling your blessings isn't this horrid, laughable, amateurish like embarrassment of a record, I will see this re recording as a sort of necessary step to that. I don't think it's better. I don't think these songs benefit from a more modern production, but I do understand that some people are probably gonna be turned off by that original album's production, and if they have this one that is just a bit more look into what they're used to hearing now in their sort of death coren metalcore and can bring me fair enough. If that's what it's going to take, I will accept this recordings existence. It hasn't like erased the original. I still have my vinyl copy of the original that I will spin like. I will accept. The two can sort of said, I'm going to reach it. If I'm going to go for it, I'm reaching for the original. Particularly again, while I think like praised Blags, it just it does just sound better if it's got a sort of more like blood soaked tone.
Speaker 2: But those like sinewy League guitars, particularly those like spindly leagues that Le Malley are doing all over that record, the sweet picky and stuff. They're They're meant to sound that old way, you know, They're not meant to be part of this fucking, you know, blown out turbo charge thing. I think to a degree, I still think this is a I don't know, a slightly more bewildering product to exist, and I do think it's a necessary upgrade because part of me is like, do you guys like Naughty's Death Corps or not? Like everyone seems to want to throw back to that era and that aesthetic and stuff like that, but then they might not actually like how it sounds like it's a are you in? Or you are you not? You know, I know I'm in like that originally, you know.
Speaker 1: And Cat Blessings.
Speaker 2: I've never even bought the idea that the Calcabiss has bad production, Like it's these guys would never fucking handle a day with morbid visions, you know. I mean, like everything is perfectly clear on that record, like you are just weak, but you know, and it suits what it is, and it's imperfections are things that you know, mark it out as being from part of the time. And the spirit that it was it was made in. And again we go in at length on this on the album club that we did, and I do think it's a it's a violent kids and an abattoir record that they have now sort of sterilized what was once caked in gore. But like I said, if you were to present me this album and be like, do you think this is a good much better than Abreuge twenty twenty six death core album, it will agree that he heartily. Fuck yeah. I mean, even the idea of them getting back in the studio to do the will bit in off the hes A is like genuinely funny, the idea that they had to go back and track that again twenty years later. But I think, you know, in a way, it almost illustrates the difference between like modern death core revival stuff and the original stuff, because again you get these bands who come through and they want thing to be like these Northeast bands, But you know, it sounds more like this than it does the original you know, the real deal stuff, you know what I mean. So again I don't think that this enterprise of rerecording this record for me, you know, not necessary, but this would definitely carry into the show as well. Ollie sounds great on it, and we were talking about, you know, the idea of him as someone who hasn't specialized in these type vocals for a long long time, having to you know, relearn the process and all of that stuff. On the actual record, going back to the gut rules and the high screens and stuff like that. It doesn't exactly sound like it did in two thousand and six, obviously, but Ollie in his current form sounds really, really fucking good. And I will say, if there's one thing about this new record that does like if it had just been the initial you know, Count your Blessings re recorded, I'll go asel waste. I'm never gonna remember that even exists. Turns out there was a new song on the end of it. And when they initially announced their cantylessing thing, and it was like a blurred out final track. Some people were like, oh, you know, will it be like, for example, the cover of Eyelists, Yeah, they did around the time of the original things. Turns out they had hidden it and blurred out because it was a brand new song added onto this, a song that's called Dehumanized, and yes, essentially it is twenty twenty six bring Me the Horizon, as they sound on the re recorded version of Cant Your Blessings, writing a song in that style, which does make it the heaviest, most brutal Bring Me the Horizon song in fucking well over fifteen years, if not twenty, you know what I mean, Like when they've done you know, we spoke about some songs like Deer Diary or everyone it's like, oh, bring the heavy again. No, no, this is actually like them genuinely in some sense at least returning to, you know, being a legitimately brutal heavy band. And yeah, this comes with a certain element of trade off in terms of it is you know, recorded and produced in the style that the rest of the album is produced with what we've just kind of said about it, But I think this song is a bit of a fucking rager, and I you know, I gave it the cursory couple of listens. I watched the music there, which is fucking cool as fuck as well when it first came out, and I thought, oh, yeah, no, that that's pretty decent. And then obviously we've now seen it live and listened to the rerecorded record more and going back to this song. These might be big words. I don't know. I think this is my favorite bring me song in something like a decade like this, I think kind of fucking goes.
Speaker 1: I Seeing it live was what unlocked the song for me, because again, the production was what I was kind of quibbling with at first. I was like, I think the song is good, I don't have that production. I was just kinda like, I don't necessarily think this is an O six death core song. It definitely is kind of like bringing Frying back to a heavier sound, and there are moments of that kind of death core thing in there, but it also has moments on modern metalcore. But it is like by far heaviest and bringing heires have done. I would go eat like to sempl I would say it's heavier than a lot of what's offered, Like even.
Speaker 2: Though we're thinking at least like suicide season.
Speaker 1: Is suicide season. There as a hell where when you put alongside long songs allegated blood, I probably say it's like the most comparable kind of like in terms of like pure like bruising brutality, that that sort of the song we're throwing back to. In terms of like this but like this is like again that from the video helps Oli is Oli and everyone is covered in blood. I'm just down the music video like I think you know where he talked about the sort of the reason behind the songs, like right, you've actually you've got a message to the song like that you've kind of like conveyed and sort of like that, and there are rifted that final breakdown. It's fucking like unbelievable again like build. Like one of our criticisms of like the heavier bringing my songs of recent years is the breakdowns have always been limp, haven't they. It's been building to the the drop riff and it's always been that same kind of limp kind of bounce up and down drop but not actually kind of like throw your fist around breakdown. And at the end of this song where they build to that final sort of like fire breakdown, you've got the sort of the humans all these things that they sound big and powerful, and I was like, I was I'm not the production, but if the song has has got something to it, and then seeing it Love, I was kind of like after seeing that the canabalist, I was like, oh, you know, this song has earned its place this is a legitimate rager.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I said it is very uh you know it, You're not going to get bring me writing a song exactly in the same way they did in two thousand and six. So if you're you know, if you if you put this record that this song slapped it onto the end of the original version of Countter Blessings, it would be a leap and it would stand out by a long fucking way. But in terms of I say, twenty twenty six bring Me, you know, indulging a bit that side, which I think it's so fucking fun and cool, they can just be like, you know what, why don't we just dial it back a little bit and again write a really fucking heavy song like like like we used to. And it is, you know, it's more than that final break thing you're talking about is really like that's that's definitely post Will Putney Death Corps, you know what I mean, Like it kind of sounds a little bit like her Viti's Murder Breakdown or something like that. The very thing end, which again, to be clear, one of the better ones in that style of the last however many years, like it is fucking I'm not I think it's one that I.
Speaker 1: Think it's one of the tops or recent breakdowns I can think of of like commercial.
Speaker 2: It's got that, you know, terminator production rather than kind of really basement death corp. But it's one of the best terminator death call songs that the twenty twenties are produced by a mile And I actually think the amount of songs in a way that like when we spoke about prayer plakes and we were like, this song actually has a really startling amount of iconic hooks right from the opening. You know, she starts her new diet, the sun goes down, and so does she capt your fucking blessings, you know, clap your hands, pray for plays part and you go through that song and it's actually like kind of a marathon of lots of individually iconic catchy parts. This song has got a lot of hooks right the beginning that the some of us are butchers, some of us are lambs. Send us to the avatar, let's find out who which one I am is like really like prime your oli delivery. There's obviously the main dehumanized kind of chorus part the fucking Texas chase of Asaka washcre Bit with the who will survive and what will be left of them is so fucking sick. And then even towards that found of breakdown, you've got like the kill each other skull with the earth like these parts. It like this actually shows the difference between bands who are as capable songwriters as Bring Me are compared to a lot of the you know, the less talented bands, right the fact that even on their fucking off day, right when this isn't really what they do anymore, they can turn up and be like, have that this is a fucking banger with many parts scattered over. It's like four minute run time or whatever that a crowd, as we have now witnessed, is gonna want to fucking shout back. I really admire what again Olie was saying about about the song as well, and the fact that I think this kind of also illustrates how far they've come. Where you look at Count your Blessings and it is these you know, very you know, teenage youthful kind of misogynistic breakup songs and stuff like that, and then twenty years later it's a song basically talking about, you know, the dehumanization of our contemporary society, specifically inspired by them being told that when they were playing a festival if they had Palestinian like insignias and flags on stage, that you know, it could carry serious consequences, and the response to that being like, well, we're gonna write a song about again, how again? Like desensitized to atrocities. We are all kind of becoming like I were told to put their career ahead of like standing up for something like that.
Speaker 1: I think like fair again, I think that is a real principal sort of thing for Bring Me to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, and it's one of the many things this weekend and this week that has made me feel like good about Bring Me, like genuine like yeah, fucking good, good on you. Cool. And then the video which the kill each other drop when they fucking shoot like the cattle bolt gun through the guy's head as it goes off, and it is you know, let's channel all of that feeling of disgust from what we were just talking about into like rubbing people's faces in it. Like yeah, it's not quite force gender reassignment, but it is like torture porn, death car and death metal. It looks like a hostel movie, right. That shit is is kind of back. You've got these big crowd shots that look like they're fucking like you know, duality, but inside an abatoar with everyone covered in blood. You know what I mean? It is like actually, you know, for a mainstream band standards confrontational, yeah, actually upsetting imagery. It's I think, you know, Yeah, if you compare it to the original O sets Count Your Blessing Songs, there is definitely a difference in in vibe, approach, many many things, but as a twenty twenty six you know, relevant to now Bring Me the Horizon heavier song, I think this is fucking like, not just oh that's a pretty good song added on to the end of a you know, a bonus edition of an album type thing, but genuinely a fucking cracker.
Speaker 1: It rules. Yeah, I hope this song is like even if this is you know it for like carry your blessed entirety, did you and I should be one that is now carried forward as kind Yeah? I want to say it a staple go fucking mental moment in the Bringing the Horizon set.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so we then got to witness you know, the show itself being carried forward and the whole vibe of sort of you know, strange, surreal celebration that this had. It was even like the show, like the PA the playlist before they came on, and it was alternating between they had like their you know, they're bringing the Horizon style instructional videos and shit that they have like their AI characters, you know, appearing. So there's the Eve character that you'll be familiar with if you went to see them on like a recent arena at all, for example, And when she turns up with a full on, fucking like stripey head scene.
Speaker 1: Was very digital camera to get the right angle. Yeah, I found that quite endearing.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, but that she was there to like instruct people a not to sue if they get injured in the front row. But then also you had this other character who appeared it was like this is how you hardcore dance. And I was like, this is so weird seeing a little like cartoon robot basically showing moves from the sick of it all step down on video that I guess you've got to get people again, you know, bring people into the culture a little bit. But those videos then when they were just playing songs before it and it was all like, you know, old school type songs, and there was one point when they played in two minut of Machine by Josh for a Cowboy, and I looked around and there were people in the middle of the crowd who did that the scream before it. I was like, yeah, this is so the vibe is right, you know what I mean? But Cat, your list is proper right, so obviously they the main set. They played the album front to back, which means opening with Pray for fucking Plagues, which.
Speaker 1: Before we even start pray for plagues, what do we get as the intro track? We get some from the Resident Evil movie The Red Queens and You're all going to die down here, which again it was quite fitting for like the Eve kind of character. But when I heard if I here a somethem the resid Evil movie, I am in. I'm so locked in and then you get d I was like, this is it. Oh my god, we're fucking going like.
Speaker 2: Pay for Plagues is like you did you get to like, for example of the Wembley Show when they played it like way back when.
Speaker 1: Yes, I thought that that was like that was the second Lass bringing the fire show. I'd been to since this or I've not seen them since twenty fifteen, I went to that well, and then so one time after was on the release of that Spirit, and I was kind of like, I think this is where we've got a part ways for a little bit, and I just not felt the urge to go back. But so I've seen Pray for Plagues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well I was. I have seen Bringing All recently, but like whenever they would do it felt like they were very stray shows, like for example, that Wembley show or then you know the other famous one got the Malta weekend and they did where they just whipped out a bunch of all these like you had to really be lucky to be in the right moment at the right time to see Bring Me doing anything like this. So I'd never seen like, for example, I mean, actually any of the songs they played this time, apart from Diamond's Art Forever they did play on the last hour that I saw them on.
Speaker 1: But certainly, oh shit, so this is almost an entirely new set list.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, so I never got saw bring Me like way back in the day because I wasn't able to go to show its like back when you know, what we would say was prime bring Me, Yeah, was around so I didn't see any of you know this stuff certainly, but like Pray for Play's being a song I fucking love for ever and ever singing for the first time and all those I think that's about which we could predict would be great was the thing because everyone knows Pray for Plagues as a banger, Like it's the one that they would maybe every now and then play. Like I said, it has all those like really iconic parts. It was a great part when I don't know if someone throw it on stage or if they had it or whatever, but Olie was wearing a like England flag bucket hat with count your fucking blessings scrawled upon the throat of the hat, and I was like, this is the most like again six laddish thing for it in this environment. I almost think that he should have come out with like a scene style wig, like one.
Speaker 1: Point was wearing a scene wig in on the Friday show Fringe because he's rocking like the buzz cut at the moment. Yeah, but no, at some at one point in the set, and I don't know where he got it from, but he did have for at least one breakdown a floppy head emo.
Speaker 2: Okay, well maybe we got the bucket hat instead. But anyway, Pray Plagues, like I said, is the song that people know and we knew would be great. It was the remaining half hour of the record which we were wondering, like, how how much do people actually like this album? You know, like is it performative or do people know these songs? And you know, do people think these songs are even good? Because many people have said they aren't, but they're remaining half out of the record. I actually can't believe how Like obviously I was excited for this, but I almost didn't expect to feel as happy as I did, like I was, particularly during the count Your Blessing section of this show. I was grinning like a fucking madman and just having the time of my life, just throwing myself around, almost on my own with these you know again, full on grebe, violent, bloodthirsty death core songs, as one just ripped straight into the other, I was. I mean, it's basically the biggest, arguably the biggest death course show that's ever happened. I mean, it's up there with it. I don't know what's bigger out of this as all. For example, those Laurna shows that they did in arenas, but certainly like O six, like classic fucking grebestyle death courts. Right, this is almost a moment of like how fucking surreal and how far this music has come where it can be twenty years later celebrated like this. But I was having like the magic of the moment, the occasion, and then just the ferocity with which they attacked those you know, ten eleven. If he came to humanized Death Corps songs, was it fully like translated right into the core of me.
Speaker 1: I it was surreal to me when I was seeing some of these songs. And again, I've been, you know, to this outbreak site a bunch, I'm familiar with it. But then when we were getting moments and songs where the breakdowns were hitting, and suddenly fire was Ruther from the top of the outbreak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got not to watch his dick with Pyro What the world?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, yeah, that's exactly like I mean the things when tells someone that's what it came on, and then you get that like that frantic intro, and I was like, I'm watching people fling themself, some people who like might have been two years old when this album came out flinging themselves off of the stage with such like reckless abandon as Piro is erupting from the top, as Ollie sounds the best I have seen him sound in a long fucking time, and I was like, how is this even happening? The end of the Steve Wander's eyes only, when you're getting those fucking sing along moments, everyone kind of arms in the air, belting out together in like unison, I was like, this shouldn't be happening, Like this is so weird, but it's happening, and it's not just happening as a novel thing. It's so embraced and celebrated and fucking brilliant all at once. I was like genuinely just tape blown away by the whole experience, and I felt so just sort of like giddy and happy with like getting to see this happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and watching this band right, we are watching Lee Mallia doing fucking tapping solos like all through the Sweet, picking his way through the set and just laying out like Black Dahlia Riff after at the Gates Rift, after Black Dahili Riff, after at the Gates Riff. We are watching Matt Nichol's double bass blasting for like a straight forty minutes, which has not happened in fucking twenty years. Basically like watching those guys who, for you know, a lot of the recent period have kind of more sat back into being like just the you know, relaxed rock dudes going all fucking out was like there were men possessed and just unleashing the beast. It was brilliant Ollie doing fucking because the whole outbreaks up, but he's doing mic grabs to people who are running parties getting down on that you know, kind of second tier stage platform, Like yeah, people just like flying by him. And again for a band who, as any really genuinely huge metal band does or rock band, has that sort of level of you know separation where you know they're they're up on the high stage, those little bits where Olie will jump down to the front traditionally and go up to the barrier, people are like, oh my god, I can't believe I'm touching you, like that kind of thing. Seeing people just like whizz over his head in the way that we did. Any manner of the hardcore singers who we saw at the main outbreak a couple of weeks ago and him again passing out the mic for people to fucking sing bits of like a lot like Vegas or whatever, or Stevie Wonder or Medusa, and people knowing the parts was fucking amazing. And what you were saying about, you know, oh, these have some like some great songs that have kind of be forgotten. Witnessing in action tell Us Leanne not to watch his dick is a awful title that has marred that song for twenty years, but it is a good fucking song, right, Stevie One Designs Only is a.
Speaker 1: Good fucking song.
Speaker 2: The one that really got me in the mid album range was a lot like Vegas because it's kind of a it's a really zippy song and it has that we did this feeler do our Graves like a more almost traditional bring with Horizon, like you know, chant along, kind of a hard chorus part, and I was like, oh, look like an actual chorus in one of these songs that people have been telling you for twenty years is a badly written, mushy pile of nothing, and I'm here seeing it right in front of me, and no, it's a banger. Actually, I'm sorry that's.
Speaker 1: It is having like again, Like like I always say, I would defend out the side out of this album as I think it has got like bangers. Like I said, the first four tracks in particular are like legit, but it carried across the whole Alm Liquor and Love Lost had again sing alongs I used to make up with Medusa had singalongs like it was so people did the fucking do do do? In off the heat? It was everyone and again, and it was to make sure people like again, a lot of people were dudes in their thirties who were kind of like I have been waiting twenty years or like how long, like even though they weren't there right and O six, but they've been, you know, a fan of Heavier Bring Me and I felt left cold, Like that's as I was in by the last decade of their work getting to just kind of like relive and like relish in these moments. It just felt celebratory. And again, I think the band. The thing that made it for me was the band weren't kind of like trying to act like they're above this and just kind of doing this as sort of like a throwaway nostalgia thing. They were so in they were having the time. They're like, Olie, I think it's like loving every second of getting piled on and piling on people. He's kind of happened in the final paus of the set, but there's like videos of his stage dive at the end of the set, and he is like launching himself so.
Speaker 2: Much that the second night there was I don't know if this happened. It might have happened the same way on the on the first night, but certainly at the end of Diamonds Ar't Forever, which they ended the whole whole set with, we got one of those like outbreak style stage wall invasions right on the second tier and Olie again, there's a video, but he did basically from the upper tire are like a running jump to leap on top of this wall of people at the very end, and it was It was so fucking cool. And Ollie vocally as well, genuinely fucking killed it to the point where you could probably say, considering, you know, going back twenty years or whatever, probably the best vocal form of his career in terms of just like being fully like fit and up for it, like a like a fucking athlete, you know, like he's put the work in to make sure, like obviously with the recording this album, visiting this whole album and doing it the right way, right and being like, I know, this is actually gonna be a genuinely a physical challenge because getting those noises out of you for ninety minutes or whatever is it's almost superhuman, right, It's a very difficult thing to do, and clearly having put in like the you know, months and months of fucking you know work to be up for that, and there wasn't a you know, a point during this where it was off the mark, like he was full. It was like watching fucking prime Eddie Hamida, you know what I mean. It's like, oh my god, Ollie Psykes is genuinely fucking killing this right now.
Speaker 1: That was my thing again even again do my do my so primaris have seen bringing the prison Ollie was always the kind of like the technically the weak thing that he was such a good front man and you would get everyone sort of sing along that him not being able to do the songs propoly was never a huge issue because it was kind of like a sort of unifying experience and he could do enough to get the songs cross this verson on was like, you have risen to the occasion. You've known that, like this has got to be done right, and you have You've put this, you put the work in, You've got something. You have rehearsed these songs and practice that you can do these vocals and not as it wasn't until basically the end of the set where you could kind of hear it was like he was a bit he was starting to get a little bit fucked because he just laid it all out on stage for the previous eighty minutes and in fact, if it's not until the end of the set where he has been going fucking the hardest he has gone and god knows how long that he starts to sound a little weary, I'm like, well, that to me is almost like a sign of just how good he's been. That he has poured everything into this performance. It was like, really something to put that, And I think, like just all the respects to him and and the band in general for just locking in and just giving this the actual treatment it deserves and not just all and again not just doing it as a novelty. Doing this is the most like professional way that still feels put together properly, but has the spirit and the energy of what a two thousand and six death course, yeah ding venue should be just on the biggest stage with fucking part I mean.
Speaker 2: And that was at one point where where OI just goes, I want this to be brutal with two zeros, and it was just like such a yes, Like if you were there during the you know, the the late Northeast early twenty tens era of like the online death core metal speak whatever it did, it felt like the whole occasion was like a love letter. It was almost like we made it. You know, It's like this, this is where we started. Here we are twenty years later, we're somehow through this strange series of events in this career up we've been on able to perform this music in a you know, in front of a crowd like this and in a setting like this. But it was such a love letter too, like that moment in time and even like you know, looking at the record and just the the fucking the stupidity part of you know, capul lessings and that era of death courts and the sloppiness and the fucking the you know, the youthful just fucking vigor of it, you know, of charging into a fucking wall and banging your head off a bit, right, like that useful stupidity was like again, even they are they're much you know, much more mature, more physically able, whatever type people. It did feel like a love letter to uh, that kind of spirit and even to the sense of like you know, being vaguely patriotic about it, being like, you know, obviously, like I said, the Saturday was the day of the England game right afterwards, and Olie being like, you know, we are bringing the horizon from Sheffield, England, right, It's like we are from essentially just down the road. We are this world conquering band. We are like the biggest, most influential metal bard of our generation. But we that the UK hardcore and metal core scene is what Birth does and this is what is you know, this is what we're kind of throwing it back to and really like you know, giving that love back to on these particular nights and celebrating again how far they've come, Like you know, Oli was talking about, you know, these three guys on this stage with me, like they have been a band together obviously, they've had other members come and go. But these four guys who are bringing the Roizen right now have been there since Fucking County Blessings era, and it's like they have kind of gone through thick and thin together and this was just such a great moment of like, you know, we are all still here. He was like, we're all still friends, we all still enjoy doing this together. Look how fucking far we've come. And there was just this really like wonderful for a record as nasty as Country of Blessings and it's like genuinely ugly in many places a cut of Blessings, there was a wonderfully wholesome, loving, we can all feel good about this together vibe that like percolated through this entire show.
Speaker 1: But there was a bit more Ollie. He got choked up. It was like, I was like, we was just trying to say this was my favorite shows and he kind of just got choked with I was like, it might be my favorite show ever, and he just kind of off off the coup, kind of just said that because he was just taken aback by the whole celebratory just kind of like loving nature of what all of what that and again what they've achieved looking back to when they were this is the certainly thing but the most ridiculed band, and it's now of like, look at us getting ten thousand people to fucking go but batshit with these songs that you said we were rubbish at the time. Fuck you all. We are like we've made it. We are doing that and I'm like, I mean, it's just so cool. And again it feels like because because they have now idiot that they can look back at this and there isn't you know, necessarily the risk and kind of frown back to here. But it wasn't done as a sort of like none of it felt like a sort of calculated or if we do the nostalgia thing now it's gonna sell, it's it's clean done because Eving just felt like we want to we want to look back at our origins, at our roots and kind of throw throw back to that time and have fun doing it. And that was it. It's just the fun for the band, for the audience. It was just a good time, fun event.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a hell of a fucking you know, bow for again, the micro drop for Cat your Blessings as a moment and a record, you know what I mean? Then we had to humanize right at the end of you know, the Canty Blessings kind of part of the set, and like I said, it immediately just fucking cemented itself like it was a banger. People were going off for it. It carried in, took certainly in the live environment. Obviously things like production, you know, change or whatever aren't as apparently it carried on so seamlessly from the songs before it and the multiple hooks. Again, the fucking the Texas and Maska drop I mentioned was particularly great in the live environment. And then it went off for a little bit, and then when they came back, we had an encore set of what was it like four songs that turned out to also be you know, some turning back the clock to a different time. I will say, obviously you were there the day before. I was we as is kind of unavoidable with a song of you know, a show of this, you know, prominence. I saw what songs you guys have got in the encore and for the remaining for the twenty four hours after that, I was like, oh, what will we get? Like will we get for example, like what met you know, Michael Groman's been doing where they've be dropping in different old songs every night and that kind of thing. I was like, Oh, come on, do do alligate of blood, you know, do fucking football season is over, which it fucking is now, isn't it, But you know, do like Blacklist or something like that. And then we ended up getting the exact same four songs that you've got, So that was just as the second helping that we got. I was like, ah, damn it. They got the initial like what it is, and we got the second round those. But in terms of those four songs that they picked, which all covered essentially bring every bringing release up to twenty ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for me, I was kind of wondering was this gonna Were they gonna do it probably and just don't do for or because they've been on tour doing their current sell us anyway, are they just gonna They're like, we've got these songs, let's do them. When they came out and they started playing the opening notes of Suicide Season, I was kind of like, they're not doing Suicide Season. They're not doing Suicide Season because I was like, there's no way they're doing the eight minute closer off of that album. And then we're like the what I was like belting it out, and I think it was such a great choice of a song to kind of like follow one from Discount Your Blessings thing because this this was one of the first songs. But everyone kind of went, oh, there is the growth in songwriting because obviously, yeah, Suicide That's an album is kind of like the first step of them, kind of like doing momatal stuff. It's still got you know, real knuckle dragging dumb shit on it season, which I love all those songs, but the title track is this like really emotional, stirring, like post metalcore song almost and kind of like again it's eight minutes, it's that there's lots of passages to it. It's one of my favorite bringing Rison songs. And I just wasn't like, there's maybe only one song and the entire catalog I would have rather than played than Suicide Season, which is Crucify Me, which I'm never ever gonna get again. Fine, whatever, I kind of got Suicide Season. I couldn't fucking believe it. I was like almost crying because I was just kind of like, this song is one of those when I throw back to like late teen me who felt like an outcast he was like, and I was like, I like my eyes and and this song was one that I really was connected with, and I was like, fucking hell, I'm I've just seen Count Your Blessings in full and now I'm seeing them play Suicide Season. And this is where I like emotions started to stir up in me. I was kind of like, weren't ready for it. It was a real power. And so you get to that final like if I Sarah good Bill, yeah, but I was like, oh my god, this is I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: So on the second night, towards the very very end of Sucide season, there was like one of those you know Stow show stoppages, nothing serious, but you know, like you know, someone injured in the crowd had to be moved out whatever. And then so there were only at the very end of Suicides was like, right, we're just gonna do this very last bit a cappella. So on the second night, the very very ending of Suicide season, he just did it on his own with the crowd, and that was like a really fucking.
Speaker 1: That's a cool way to do it though as well, Yeah, it works as that kind of like intimate moment exactly.
Speaker 2: So that's that's how that that went down, and Suicide season that's been played for the first time live since twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: Obviously I might have seen that the last time it had been played, like genuine if one of the last times when they played there like Brigs in twenty eleven. They probably didn't play much after that, So yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: All County blessing songs, apart from the ones they would regularly play like break Plagues or whatever. Obviously there, you know, first time since two thousand and nine, two thousand and six, A couple of them like whatever. Then the next time of the on court we were joking, we were like, will they play raw? Right? Will they do? You know something daft from the even earlier than counter your Lessons? This is what the Edge of your Seat was made for, eph And yeah, they did play well. It's probably the best song from that EP. It's the opening song, isn't it. The they have made reflections. First time that song has been played since two thousand and eight, apparently, or at least in full according to EF, they've done it.
Speaker 1: In Medley's I know that they've done it. Yeah, when they've thrown out those kind of like throwback medleys that they've done it at the odd shows they've done like maybe like the breakdown part one or one of the breaks from the opening of.
Speaker 2: That song being just full on fucking scroung key panic chords. Yeah, like the most obnoxious, like abrasive hardcore in their catalog. And once again there's Pyro coming out of the fucking top of the stage during it while they're playing fucking are they have no reflection? Was so surreal, like what a bizarre timeline to award into.
Speaker 1: Couldn't believe that that that's probably the best that song has been played, because even on that EP, that song is like, again it's aw this songy like panicled harkle, but it is sloppy. The playing is all over the place on that EP. Like hearing it played live with that full force behind it and that the attack in those rifts, I was kind of like, again, what are we doing? How is this being played in a car park to ten thousand people with Piro and people are fucking like shouting along to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then the last two songs of it, the final one, the one song that I had you know, seen played before because it is an older, they bring out from now and then diamonds aren't forever, which I saw one of the funniest just like little moments I've maybe ever seen it a show where you know, when you maybe if you're standing near a security guard at a show, and there are those little moments when the security guards as they talk to each other or jested to each other, show a little bit of humanity, right, and you see that the security to having like a little bit of fun when they started doing dimes up forever. The security guard like started doing you know, going to her, you know, her partner who was it was, it was out with it, doing that like we will never sleep kind of mouthing it part. And then notice that behind her in the actual crowd area, someone had gotten on top of someone's shoulders and had lit two of those like sort of red smoke grenade like flair type things, yeah, and was going off. So she was like looking the other way, mouthing we will never sleep because for the week, and then just turned around and did like a comedy double take at this person all these giant fucking smoking things and had to start frantically gesturing being like, oh my god, I get that guy. It was like such a tonal switch of a moment, brilliant that will live my memb for a long time, but before dimes up forever. A pnultimate song Blessed with a Curse, which once again, this is the first time I have seen a single song played from what I think is the best bringing the r as an album, which is there is a hell it's not my favorite song from it, but I do know that Blessed with the Curse is such a real fan favorite, and I think it's only like the second time they have played this song in like the current decade, right, and again it's a it's a switch certainly from you know, the cant of Blessing start stuff. Because we're serisis as well, we had delved into some really like you know more kind of like your emotional heart and sleep hardcore type bringing the Horizon material. But once again in terms of the loving too, I just suppose the early years of this band and how much that material means to people, you know, getting one particularly in the sort of inter but you know when you fucking when main outbreak happened, and you see the video that went around of like Largerspute for example, Yeah, and you've got people doing the you know, King Park and all that kind of shit, and you go, oh yeah, that's the sort of the emotive hardcore, you know, outbreak type experience.
Speaker 1: It was basically that.
Speaker 2: But we bring me playing Blessed with the Curse.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Again, if you ask anyone who knew me in twenty ten how much I loved this song and I was kind of like, this is it, man, like bringing the vice and their right us emotional middlecre ballads that are so deep and like speaking to me. And again I was like, fuck me, eighteen year old Sam is happening again. We're seeing Blessed for Curse. You can get your big cry out and again like that was it for the because again that this song is has built on those kind of big shout along hooks from the chorus, so it's got to take back everything I said for you, or like everything I touched turns to stone, and that were like the crowd on there screaming that, and Ollie again on top of them passing the my accout and just Eron laying all that. It felt huge and it was kind of like these songs are massive, and they are, but they are still heavy, they're emotive, and it was just a great thing to sort of see this come back out and capture that kind of like emotional heart and sleeve hardcore kind of like crowd band sort of moment, and Blessed for Us was like the perfle one to do that with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a hell of a fucking moment, you know, Like I said, in terms of a band who, Yeah, we have both been on and off with in terms of showing our appreciation for But it's so nice when even if it is a bit of nostalgia, but if it's approached the right way and done with conviction, right, which this I think absolutely was. It's so nice when you get thrown a bone and you can reconnect with something and like seeing you know, bringing the horizon. Who are you know, the definitive metal band. Whether they're favorite or not, they are in terms of scale and influence, they are the definitive metal band of our generation essentially, right, you know, the kind of late millennial turn of the you know, twenty tens getting into heavy music type generation. They are like the band who were like the at the four of it all. Getting to see them reconnect with you know, the version of them basically that I first like was attracted to was was really really something and like you know again that the re recorded record we're saying that, you know, it's not bad by any many means, but it's not one that we're going to like reach for in the future. The show was actually better even than we like could have dreamed of it being.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: You know, when you say Bring the Rison are doing Canty Blessings in full, it almost sounds like a bit of a joke or such a sort of or going to see it for the surrealness of it, But in terms of like actually putting on an incredible fucking night, it was like it delivered absolutely, like they made sure that it did. And we've even got a really fucking wicked new song to go with it as well. So you know, this band who we drift on and off with, getting this moment where we can go, we feel so fucking good, even if it's just for now, right, it was really like I I value that, I'll treasure that.
Speaker 1: That's exactly it for me. Again, it's been over a decade since I've seen Bringfis and they were once from a time my favorite band, and like again I've you know, slightly warmed back up to them again in recent years where again I've kind of like my stuffiness of oh he's not screaming anymore, like all that when like that Spirit and Ammo really pushed me away. And there have been moments on you know, the last couple that I found a bit terrible. Other moments I've been like, I like that some cool having this sort released for one one day or for one little period this year where they've gone this is for you. I've treasured it, I like, and part of me is like, is this you know, a sort of an a a tester for a heavier browth rise in the future. Who knows that? But even if it isn't just right now, I was like, I'm living this in the I'm living in the moment for this of like I want to see Cary of Blessings them fall, which is now that like maybe should never be played in full, but I never expected to be playing full and then an encore of some of my favorite brinth Rison songs. I have zero complaints, like I've all it's the most positive stuff I'm gonna say about brining Rison maybe ever Again, they were just absolutely unbelievable and the whole presentation of this from the album, I'm like, hats off to bring me. You have done an amazing job here.
Speaker 2: Yeah here. Like we said, nostalgia when it's done with conviction and approached properly and with a sense of purpose, can actually be really fucking cool and really valuable.
Speaker 1: So here there you go.
Speaker 2: That was our thoughts on bringing the Horizons a whole. Can't your blessing the twentieth anniversary celebrations. We will be back right now. As I said, if you hop over right as we are speaking to the Patreon then they're is the fourth and final part of our Corn Special, the big band Special that we have been deep into for the past couple of months. We will also be back next week. England may not have well won the World Cup, but the work continues on over here. Next week I think we'll be our review show and we are going to be talking about those records from example Loathe and the Mensingers and the excerpts and all the manner of bands who have release records in last couple of weeks and on ones as well, So you can rejoin us there for that.
Speaker 1: Bye.