Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty the Bill handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio f As you know, I'm back from my vacation and I went to Ireland and to Italy. And since you know, I'm a news junkie, and you know, I'm really involved in presidential politics, not personally but just following it. And you know where I sit in terms of this election coming up, So there's obviously no secret there. But I'm interested in what other people think about America a particularly the presidential coming up in a couple of weeks. And so every time I ran in anybody, taxi drivers, people who were lining up at tourist areas, sitting in airports, talking to people, I would ask, what do you think about the presidential election?
Speaker 2: And while we don't care about what's.
Speaker 1: Happening in Ireland and how many people can mention that there or know about the prime minister who's president of Italy, no one does.
Speaker 2: We don't pay attention to any of this.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you what they do is pay attention to us big time. The world follows American politics, especially the presidency.
Speaker 2: And there are a couple of reasons for that.
Speaker 1: First of all, the United States is still known and considered the leader of the free world, both economically as well as militarily, and so when things change, things change. For example, one of the themes about the presidential is fear of Donald Trump if he wins. Not what he's going to do domestically, but what are you going to do overseas? For example, pull out of NATO. They're scared to that NATO is going to be decimated. The US is the primary contributor of both arms and money and people in NATO, and they're frightened now. Donald Trump, to his credit, threatened to pull out of NATO if people didn't come to the table, if the country didn't come to the table and pay their share of what was agreed to.
Speaker 2: Good for him for doing that. The fear, though, is since Donald Trump is.
Speaker 1: More isolationist than that, he's going to pull the United States back and we're going to become more i would say, more concerned about our domestic issues than what happens internationally.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've done that before prior to World War Two.
Speaker 1: The isolationists a matter of fact, one of the premier ones was Charles Lindberg stay out of the war it's their war. It's their war. Matter of fact, FDR kept on saying, it's their war. I'm not sending troops over there. I'm not going to send American boys over there, even though he wanted to, because there was such a backlash. So it's happened before, and if Trump wins, they're frightened that it's going to happen again, where the United States is not going to be the force that supports Europe for the fear of a Russian invasion.
Speaker 2: For the most part, that's what NATO.
Speaker 1: Was created for, and that is what it still is involved with, especially now that you've got crazy guy putin over there that doesn't seem to care and he's become a rogue dictator. So one of one of those aspects is fear of the United States no longer being involved internationally because of the isolationists thinking of Donald Trump and Republicans the other theme, and they don't care what Trump says. I mean, you know, we care about Alner, Donald Palmer and the size of his schwantz. Everybody's making a big deal about it because at a rally, Trump just argued what a big Johnson Palmer had a right fine, They couldn't care less. You know, what they don't do is understand our politics. They just don't get Donald Trump. They just don't understand him. They don't understand our Second Amendment. They don't get it. We don't understand what that's about. Well, it's in our constitution. Okay, it's in your constitution. Now what why are Americans so obsessed with arms?
Speaker 2: They don't understand that.
Speaker 1: They don't understand why we don't have a national health system. There is no industrialized country in the world that does not have a national health system except the United States.
Speaker 2: They just don't get it. What's that about?
Speaker 1: So those with a two overriding themes that I got from the Europeans. Number one fear of isolationism and number two simply not understanding what America is all about, more so than they've ever not understood, and so they don't want to be on their own. They still look at America even though it is not the power it once was. After World War Two, the United States owned the world. All of Europe was destroyed. You had Japan, who was who was one of our primary our primary sort I'm looking for here, I'll get there. I'm just I'm in the middle of jet lag, enemy one of our primary enemies.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Jamie. It was.
Speaker 1: I mean, she was gone. If you want to call Japana, she Our country's always cheese by the way I think they are. Yeah, anyway, Japan was gone, Europe was gone and was the only standing country was the United States are manufacturing our system of government? Well, is it the same? No, because you have China as a world power, Russia that collapsed. What was the world power? It's we're not in the same league as we were, but we're still the leaders of the free world. We're still the economic juggernaut of the Western world, and we're considered the bastion of not only freedom, but of military might that's going to save the world, the Western world, as we did before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and whenever I don't know a word, write it down and hold it up, would you please?
Speaker 1: Okay, like they do with the Olympics nine point eight eight point seven, you know that sort of thing, talking to the astronauts board the space station, the International Space Station.
Speaker 2: That's quite a get by the way, that kind of an interview.
Speaker 1: With Amy, I know, and tried for me to get an interview, and we not only got to know there was also are you kidding?
Speaker 2: As part of the denial, So good for Amy.
Speaker 1: Whenever any of the other hosts or news people get these gets interview like that, we should all appreciate it that one of our own has done that. I hate it, and to be honest, so does everybody else. Amy, that you were able to get that interview. So yeah, we resent it.
Speaker 2: Just to let you know. By the way, when is the interview as it scheduled.
Speaker 3: It's scheduled for this Wednesday morning. Ah, during wake up call. I'm six am.
Speaker 1: That's meat that is let's before do they have a case with Wayne coming up at the bottom of the hour. Let me tell you what's going on with the Veterans Administration. If you go down to West LA sort of the Brentwood area, you see the National Cemetery which is extraordinary, thousands and thousands of graves meticulously kept, and then across the street from that is the VA and the VA the hospital.
Speaker 2: Is there, administration is there.
Speaker 1: But also on the VA land you've got well, let me put it this way, you have the Jackie Robinson Stadium, the parking lot. Also the Brentwood School has twenty two acres and it is a twenty two acre sports complex and Olympic pool, football stadium, basketball pavilion, tennis courts, baseball fields. And the judge said, pursuing to a civil trial, he's on you know why, because I want housing for veterans to be on that land. And it's not just his personal view, it is a legal decision based on the fact that all of that land was given to the United States I think it was eighteen eighty eight, came under the Veterans Administration, and that land specifically is for the use of veterans. The Jackie Robinson Stadium that is not for the veterans, a Brentwood School, a private school that is not for the veterans. And so the judge said, we want housing. I want housing for veterans. And he on Friday ordered the US Department of Veteran Affairs to select a vendor within a week, have a contract within three weeks after that to put up housing for veterans. VA officials have to produce some temper housing in ninety days before the rainy season.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Carter relaxes timeline on Friday, but pleaded that the contracting, the site development, the installation well Okay, maybe can't do it in ninety days, but we're going to do it as soon as possible. And by the way, he still keeps jurisdiction, so all the parties have to come up with a plan and a contract.
Speaker 2: And development.
Speaker 1: Now can you do You can't do that in ninety days, and he is basically said, too bad. He wants the VA to create seven hundred and fifty units of temporary housing within eighteen months on that campus, an additional eighteen hundred permanent units over six years. And during that trial, or at the conclusion of before we trial in which the parties said, oh, no, we have leases, Judge said, I don't care. Those leases are nullified because the VA land was leased to private entities and this includes UCLA and the Brentwood School, and this land is to be used for veterans and you're not doing that. And the pool, he was hilarious even said during the course of his decision, and that is the pool that Brentwood has. I want it filled with sand, and I want that done within ninety days. I mean, this guy is getting really aggressive, and he's right.
Speaker 2: He's right. Veterans desperately need housing.
Speaker 1: And when you have a piece of land that was to be used for veterans and it's leased out.
Speaker 2: No, no, that doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Coming up, we end Monday with do they have a case with Wayne Resnik? As he was a board ten minutes after you've come back, the vacation never existed. It's like you're done, and I'm completely jet lagged. As my mother would say before she died, I am lagging jets and.
Speaker 2: That is absolutely true.
Speaker 1: My mother had a really nice way of speaking in terms of all these wonderful phrases that she had.
Speaker 2: Now it is time, as we do every Monday, for do they have.
Speaker 1: A case with Wayne? Wayne Resnick and me? So Waine, let's get right into it. And well, first of all, let me tell everybody the rules. Wayne comes up with cases that I've never heard of, that you probably never heard of, and these are usually.
Speaker 2: Cases of first impression.
Speaker 1: Usually it's appeals courts, and they decide on one which way that they're going to go, and then I guess, as you guess, hopefully a somewhat educational guess, and the reason why.
Speaker 2: So let's do it Wayne, all right.
Speaker 3: Well, in the late eighties, a man named Robert Bork was nominated to the Supreme Court, and he was very controversial. And one of the things that happened somebody got the video rental store that he frequented to give them the list of the videos that Robert Bork had checked out. There was nothing salacious on it at all. In fact, there was not even one R rated movie. So it wasn't that it embarrassed him, but it was concerning that the personal information of somebody would be given out. So Congress passed the Video Privacy Protection Act that says a videotape service provider can't disclose information. Fast forward to now, this guy signs up with the NBA NBA dot com on their website. They have videos of basketball things on that website, and he also signs up for a newsletter, an email newsletter from the NBA. Then he finds out that the website has a little piece of code on it that sends to Meta, the parent company of Facebook, the names of the videos that he watches, when he watched them, and his Facebook ID, the purpose of which is so they can then direct market to him because they know what he's into. He sues and says this is a violation of the Video Privacy Protection Act. Because they're revealing what videos he's watching. Again, there's nothing embarrassing here, but it is a privacy issue. Well, the NBA, as you might imagine, says, what are you talking about. This is a website, it's a newsletter, this is not a video store, it's not video cassettes. This has not That law has nothing to do with this. And his lawyers say, all the terms in that law are not defined. So how do you know it doesn't apply to a video on a website. Let's go to the courts and they go up to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, and keeping in mind that the law does not define any of the terms it uses, do you think they took a modern approach or do you think they said this was passed at a time when they were only talking about videotapes at video stores. And you have no case?
Speaker 2: Okay, First of all, Oh good, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: First of all, as far as defining whether or not releasing a video or using information from a video that's on the website, I don't see how big a difference it is than releasing information by renting a video cassette. You can't rent video cassettesa anymore therefore the law doesn't.
Speaker 2: Apply at all.
Speaker 1: The premise of the law is to keep private your information under the circumstances.
Speaker 2: The only argument.
Speaker 1: I would make is the law is too vague because it wasn't specific enough. Because usually when laws are too vague they failed.
Speaker 2: They have to have some specificity.
Speaker 1: So I'm guessing that the court ruled that releasing of that information was in fact in violation of federal law. I don't know what the damages are. I have no idea unless or statutory damages. Maybe it's just a court order, effectively a cease and desist saying you can't do that.
Speaker 2: But obviously he didn't do it on his own.
Speaker 1: There were some pro privacy organizations or law firms that wanted this.
Speaker 2: On the books.
Speaker 1: So I am saying that the court upheld the federal law and that the provider in this case, the NBA, cannot do what it did.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I like the way you said it. Nowhere really in this decision did they say it as simply as you, which is there's really practically speaking, there's really no difference between going to a website and watching a video there, or renting a video cassette for the purpose of your privacy. But they said he has a case and the NBA does not.
Speaker 2: M Now what happened? Do they go forward with that?
Speaker 1: I guess the NBA does just to establish and META would jump in just or Meta would jump in just to establish the value of the information that's being given to them by the NBA through the use of this, because data mining is everything. That's where the big money is on anything that you are looking at in terms of websites or chat roobs or any interest or looking up information on Amazon, you know what's on sale, all of that. I mean, you know, I'll by stuff and I immediately get pop ups, you know, constantly, you know, I come on, I'm tired of it. You know, marital aids, you know, lubricants. I mean, and I'm just tired of getting those pop ups. Time very crazy.
Speaker 3: There's an easy answer to this, just so you know that you can give out the information if the customer consents. All we really have to do is allow you say, Hey, do you mind if we share your information so we can give you ads you want to see instead of ads you don't want to see, like Bill with his lube.
Speaker 2: That's true. Okay, We're done. Guys, at least for the first segment.
Speaker 1: Let's come back and we'll go into another case as we finish.
Speaker 2: Do they have a case on a Monday?
Speaker 1: All right, back we go with Wayne Resnik and me do they have a case?
Speaker 2: As we end our Monday broadcast.
Speaker 3: Bill, I'm going to start this with a personal question to you. Yeah, in the shower do you use for washing your body? Do you use your hand? Do you use a washcloth? Do you use a loof Uh? What do you use?
Speaker 2: I use a loofh oh.
Speaker 3: Well, then you are kind of guy you would like Charles Douglas Yoder. He also likes to use a loofah. Sometimes they're called body puffs in the shower. However, he has a problem you don't have. He's in prison, and although they sell lufahs in the prison commissary, they will not sell one to him because the prison rules are lufahs are only for registered transgender inmates. Mister Yoda is a cis gendered man.
Speaker 2: But like what a cist gender, cis.
Speaker 3: Gendered means you you agree with the gender that you were born like a man a man. He's a man and he identifies as a man.
Speaker 1: And who was born a man, and he and that's and he palmer with his huge fonts, a man's man.
Speaker 2: As the president former President Trump.
Speaker 3: Said, yes, yes, wasn't expecting to hear that callback on the show this morning, but here we are. But you are back. So they won't sell him the loofah because he's just a guy. And they said, if you want to buy a loofa from the prison commissary, you can change your designated gender to female. We will then consider you a trans inmate and then you are allowed to buy the lufa. And he said, well, why is this rule? And they said lufahs are a privilege item for trans prisoners, which doesn't really explain why now it does it? So no, he so he sues and the federal district court dismisses his case and says, you don't you're not even stating a case because you don't have a constitutional right to buy something from the prison commissary, So how can you have a case or acclaim. So he goes up to the Court of Appeals where he explains and by the way, sometimes I say he explains or he said, and I mean as lawyers, he did all of this himself. And he says that lower court judge is a moron. My argument was not I have a constitutional right to buy something from the commissary. My argument is this violates the equal protection clause. If they don't want to sell lufus to anybody, I have no case. Once they sell lufus to anybody, they have to sell them to everybody unless they can explain why it is necessary for running a prison to treat people differently. That's my argument. Now, what does the circuit court say, and what do you say being a fan of the lufah Okay, First.
Speaker 1: Of all, I think that the appellate court agreed with him, and that the lower court judge was a moron. While citizens do not have while people in prison do not have the same right, First Amendment rights, etc.
Speaker 2: And there is no constitutional right.
Speaker 1: The discrimination here is so blatant, makes no sense whatsoever, is so capricious, It is so discriminatory on its face.
Speaker 3: I think he prevails. He does, which means the case goes back down to the moron judge with some guidance. You know, they compliment this guy throughout their opinion. He must have written some very well reasoned arguments. They complimented him. They said, we don't. We're not even sure what standard of scrutiny we have to apply here. We don't have to decide. We'll make the lower court decide. But even if we say it's the lowest possible standard, rational basis standard, even under that it's most favorable to the prison, this guy's case should not have been dismissed. So he gets to go have his day in court, and that lower court judge is probably not gonna be happy to see him again.
Speaker 2: It's the way it goes. Two for two. I did today, you did.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: We were talking about the lawsuit in UH which the fellow sued about or the end or the National Basketball League suit about its information being used and releasing UH its information to META. And it occurred to me, why I'm getting so many pop ups to go to.
Speaker 2: Kentucky and move there.
Speaker 1: Now it's kind of a stretch, okay, and you figure it out.
Speaker 2: Kentucky does it?
Speaker 3: Does it have to do with two words that come like come after Kentucky and people have.
Speaker 1: To do with mailing a letter to Kentucky UH and not mailing a letter, And that is what is the abbreviation for Kentucky.
Speaker 3: Oh, geez, Louise Bill, it's a stretch. I'm not gonna say it. Do you want to just reveal what you're getting at for someone?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, I'm not going to release it. People can figure it out on their own, but it is. It's a stretch, granted. All Right, Neil, just be as depraved as ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I sir, am Wayne. We'll catch you again next Monday.
Speaker 1: Thanks for filling in, by the way, you bottle while I was gone. All right, this is OH We're back again tomorrow and Amy starts five o'clock with wake up Call.
Speaker 2: The rest of us come aboard.
Speaker 1: This is KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 1: Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.