Speaker 1: Welcome to the Deep Dive. Today, we're taking a deep dive into the world of digital security and investigative journalism, and we're going to be doing that through the lens of Michael Lee's book, Hacks, Leaks and Revelations. I've got to say, you shared some really fascinating excerpts with me, and I'm really excited to get into it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting how Lee kind of pulls back the curtain on this whole world of data leaks and how journalists can actually use cutting edge technology to get to the truth. You know, it's not just about looking at the raw data, it's about understanding like the context and you know, really importantly the potential impact on everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it kind of feels like we're stepping into like a real life digital detective story. Yeah, you know, speaking of detectives, one of the things that really stood out to me was Lee's emphasis on data sensitivity. He makes the point that not all data sets are created equal, especially when you're dealing with information that could expose really powerful entities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely makes you think about like where we store our data. You know, Lee actually are is that everyday cloud services like Google Drive, which seem really convenient, might not be the best choice for investigations that are highly sensitive because they're vulnerable to legal requests. Right, So that means that you know, a company with a team of lawyers could potentially access your data.
Speaker 1: Okay, so no storing my top secret expose on Google Docs. Got it. But isn't the cloud supposed to be like super secure? Why would I need anything more than that?
Speaker 2: Well, that's a great question, and it is true that cloud providers do offer some security measures, but they are still subject to legal processes. So if you're investigating like a really powerful entity like a corporation, they might have the resources to compel those providers to hand over your data. And so for those cases, Lee really recommends taking extra precautions and using more robust solutions.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. So let's say we have taken those precautions and we've actually received elked data set. How can we be sure it's authentic? Can't anyone just like fabricate data these days? Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Verifying the authenticity of your sources is absolutely crucial, and Lee actually uses some pretty clever methods to confirm the legitimacy of the data sets he works with. For example, when he received the data set from America's Frontline Doctors, a group that's been known for promoting misinformation about COVID nineteen. He actually cross reference patient information with public posts on GAB. It was almost like a digital fingerprint that helped confirm the data's origin.
Speaker 1: Wow, so he was able to trace the data back to the source just using public information. That's really impressive.
Speaker 2: And another compelling example is how he verified a data set that was leaked from a private wiki leak's Twitter group. He did this by saving the HTML of a Twitter direct message conversation. So by doing that, by preserving it in its original form, he could prove that it was genuine.
Speaker 1: So it's all about finding those digital breadcrumbs that lead back to the source. But we can't forget about protecting ourselves and our sources too, right, What does Lee recommend for staying safe in this digital landscape?
Speaker 2: Well, strong passwords and two factor authentication. He says those are non negotiables. You know, imagine your work on a sensitive investigation. Maybe you're uncovering corruption, right, you're exposing wrongdoing. You need to protect yourself and the people who trust you with information. A password manager like key PASSXC is a great option. It's like a digital vault for your passwords. It can generate really strong, unique passwords and keep them safe even if your device is compromised.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can see how that would be essential, especially when the stakes are so high. What about disc encryption? Is that something I should be considering?
Speaker 2: Disc encryption? Absolutely, it's another really crucial layer of protection. Think about it. If you lose your laptop or say it's confiscated, and your disc isn't encrypted, anyone with access can read all your data. Encryption basically scrambles that data. It makes it unreadable without the correct key. And Lee even provides like step by step instructions for enabling disc encryption on Windows, so you know it's not as daunting as it might sound.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm convinced disc encryption it is now shifting gears a little bit. You mentioned the book also delves into spearfishing and an election interference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where things get really interesting and honestly a little unsettling. Lee details a spearfishing attack that targeted election workers in North Carolina. And these weren't just your random like spam emails. They were very carefully crafted messages. Designed to trick specific individuals to reveal sensitive information. And this particular attack was only brought to light because of reality Winner, the whistleblower who leaked the classified documents exposing it.
Speaker 1: So this league had major real world consequences. It wasn't just about exposing like a security flaw, it was about uncovering a threat to democracy. I'm curious does Lee offer any ways to protect ourselves from these kinds of attacks?
Speaker 2: Well, he definitely highlights the importance of being aware of these fishing tactics and being really cautious about opening emails that look suspicious or clicking on links you don't recognize. But on broader level, this example really underscores the importance of robust cybersecurity measures, especially for critical infrastructure like collection systems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes you wonder just how much we don't know about, right, It's almost like an iceberg what we see as just the tip. Now BitTorrent, Lee explains how this file sharing technology can be used to resist data sensorship.
Speaker 2: Yeah. BitTorrent is fascinating because it's decentralized, so instead of relying on a single server to host a file, it's distributed across a whole network of users, and this makes it really difficult to censor. Even if one user is shut down, others can still share the data. And it was actually used to distribute the blood Leaks data set, you know, that massive trove of law enforcement documents, making it accessible even when people try to censor it.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. It's like a digital hydra. You cut off one head and two more growback. Sounds like a powerful tool for whistleblowers and activists who want to bring information to light. But what about everyday communication with sources. Surely we're not using BitTorrent for that.
Speaker 2: Not exactly. For secure day to day communication, Lee strongly recommends Signal, encrypted messaging app that prioritizes user privacy and it uses end to end encryption, meaning that only the sender and the recipient can read those messages.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've heard of Signal, but can you explain how this encryption actually works? It sounds really complex.
Speaker 2: It's actually a pretty simple concept. Think about like sending a postcard through the mail right, anyone who handles it can read your message with end to end encryption. It's like you're sending that postcard in a locked box and only the recipient has the key to open it. Even signal itself can't access your messages.
Speaker 1: That's a great analogy. So it's like having a private conversation in a crowded room, but digitally. Does Lee mention any other tools for secure communication?
Speaker 2: He does. He also talks about tour which anonymizes your Internet traffic, onion share, which allows for secure file sharing, and PGP, which is an email encryption standard. It's like a whole arsenal of tools for protecting communication in the digital age.
Speaker 1: It sounds like staying ahead of surveillance is a full time job. But what happens when we're actually dealing with like massive data sets. Does Lee offer any guidance on how to manage those securely?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he suggests a few things, setting up like a tips page on your website to encourage submissions, using secure drop for anonymous communication, and setting up a cloud server specifically for data processing. You know, it's about creating a secure pipeline for receiving and analyzing information.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's not just about getting the data, it's about having the infrastructure to handle it. And speaking of infrastructure, Lee's a big advocate for using the command line interface or CLI for navigating and manipulating this data. Why is that?
Speaker 2: The command line might seem kind of intimidating at first, but Lee argues that it's incredibly powerful and efficient. It's almost like speaking directly to your computer, giving it these precise instructions, you know, without all the graphical distractions. So like basic commands like to clear your screen, or PWD to see like where you are in the file system, and LS to list the files in a directory. Those are kind of the foundation of navigating the command line.
Speaker 1: It does sound like learning a new language. Are there other commands he recommends for working with data?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, definitely. He goes through commands for like creating, deleting, moving, and copying files and directories, and even viewing the contents of files. All these commands can be combined to do these really powerful tasks.
Speaker 1: So it's about building up your vocabulary of commands to do increasingly complex tasks. But what about actually editing those files? Are we using the command line for that too?
Speaker 2: For that, we need text editors. Lee differentiates between what are called text files, which contain readable characters, and binary files, which are not meant to be read by humans. He recommends using visual Studio code. It's free and it's really user.
Speaker 1: Friendly, makes sense. I mean a lot of the data from leaks comes in text based format, so having a good text editor is essential, exactly.
Speaker 2: And because we often end up doing the same tasks over and over again when we're analyzing data, Lee introduces what's called shell scripting. And what this does is it allows you to automate those repetitive tasks. Yeah yeah, saving you time and effort.
Speaker 1: It's like having a digital assistant that takes scare of all the boring stuff so you can focus on the bigger picture. But what about when our own computers just aren't powerful enough to handle these massive data sets. What does Lise adjust?
Speaker 2: Then that's where cloud servers come in, and Lee specifically recommends a company called Digital Ocean. These servers can be much more powerful than your average laptop, and they offer a lot of advantages like scalability, remote access, and better bandwidth for large file transfers.
Speaker 1: So it's like upgrading your computer's brain and its Internet connection all at once for those heavy duty data crunching sessions.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. And Lee actually guides us through the process of setting up a server on digital Ocean, connecting to it securely using SSH, and even installing software updates. It's like a step by step guide that makes this world of cloud computing much less mysterious.
Speaker 1: This is all starting to feel very James Bond. You know, secret servers, remote access encrypted files. But how do we keep those servers organized and secure?
Speaker 2: Well, that's where Docker comes in. Docker allows you to isolate applications and their dependencies within these things called containers. They're like miniature virtual environments. This ensures that your applications run consistently no matter what operating system you're using, and it makes the whole process of setting up software a lot simpler.
Speaker 1: So it's like having tiny little compartments for your applications, keeping everything nice and tidy and preventing them from interfering with each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And Lee doesn't just tell us what docer is. He actually shows us how to use it. He walks us through installing Docker, running containers, managing storage, even using Docker Compose, which is for more complex applications that use multiple containers.
Speaker 1: It sounds like we're getting a crash course in Docker. But once we have our data on that cloud server and it's safely tucked away in its Docker container. How do we actually start analyzing it?
Speaker 2: Well? For interactive data analysis and visualization, Lee recommends Jupiter Notebook. It's a very powerful tool that lets you write code, execute it, and see the results all in one place.
Speaker 1: So it's like a digital laboratory for experimenting with data exactly.
Speaker 2: And Lee explains how to run Jupiter Notebook inside of a Docker container so you can access it remotely from your own computer.
Speaker 1: It's all about bringing those data analysis tools to where the data lives. Now, what happens when you have a really huge data set and you want to make it searchable? Is there a tool for that?
Speaker 2: There is. It's called a LEFT, and it's an open source intelligence platform specifically for searching and analyzing large data sets. You can think of it like having your own personal Google, but for your data.
Speaker 1: That sounds incredibly useful. But how do we even begin to set something like that up?
Speaker 2: Well, don't worry. Lee walks us through the entire process, from setting up a LEFT using Docker Compose, to importing data sets and then exploring that data using ls web interface.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's amazing how many tools are available for investigative journalists. These days, it seems like you need a whole toolbox just to get started. But let's not forget that sometimes the most revealing information comes from the most I guess you could say mundane, like email dumps. What does Lee say about those?
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right. Email dumps might seem like a relic of the past, but they can still be incredibly valuable. Lee takes us into this world of leaked emails, explaining the common formats like EML and mbox, the structure of those messages, and even how to analyze them using tools like Thunderbird and Microsoft Outlook.
Speaker 1: Makes you wonder what secrets are hidden within those seemingly ordinary inboxes, doesn't it?
Speaker 2: It really does, And when you're dealing with a really large volume of emails, traditional email clients might not be enough, and that's where Python programming can really come in.
Speaker 1: Handy Ah, Python, I knew it would make an appearance. Why is Python so important for investigative journalism.
Speaker 2: Well, Python's incredibly versatile. It's used in a wide variety of applications, from web development to data science, and for investigative journalists, it's a really powerful tool for automating tasks, analyzing data and just generally extracting insights from these large data sets.
Speaker 1: So it's like our digital'ss army knife for working with data.
Speaker 2: Precisely, and Lee doesn't assume that you have any prior programming experience. He introduces the basics like variables, lists, strings, conditional statements, loops, functions. He even walks you through writing simple Python scripts for text manipulation, data extraction, and analysis.
Speaker 1: So even if you're a complete coding newbie, you can still follow along and learn the ropes. But what about people who are already familiar with Python? Is there anything for them in this book?
Speaker 2: Definitely? Lee dives into more advanced techniques too. He talks about modules, functions, and these data structures called dictionaries. For example, he covers using the click module for creating command line interfaces, the OS module for filesystem operations, and the CSV module for processing CSV files.
Speaker 1: So it's all about expanding your Python toolkit for more efficient and sophisticated data analysis. But before we get two carried away with Python, let's not forget about the humble spreadsheet, a mainstay of investigative journalism.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, Lee reminds us that CSV files, which are often used to store what we call structured data can be easily viewed and analyzed using spreadsheet software like Librofice, Calc, or Microsoft Excel.
Speaker 1: So it's all about choosing the right tool for the job, whether it's command line wizardry, Python scripting, or good old fashioned spreadsheet analysis. But it seems like Lee takes it a step further, right He actually guides readers through building a Blue Leaks Explore app using Python and these web development frameworks like Flask and Schololcamy.
Speaker 2: You're right, and this app provides a really user friendly interface for browsing and searching that massive Blue Leaks data set, even generating reports based on the data. It's a practical example of how Python can be used to unlock the secrets hidden within these leaks.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's like we're building our own digital command center for investigative journalism. But speaking of really interesting data sets, Lee also analyzes the Parlor data set, which contained millions of videos and metadata from that social media platform. What kind of insights was he able to get from that data.
Speaker 2: One of the most interesting things he did was actually use Python to extract GPS coordinates from that video metadata.
Speaker 1: GPS coordinates that's next level digital detective work.
Speaker 2: It is, and by extracting those coordinates, Lee was actually able to pinpoint the exact locations where those videos were filmed. And then he even converted that data into KML files, which can be viewed.
Speaker 1: In Google Earth, so he was basically able to put those parlor videos on a map exactly.
Speaker 2: This technique is incredibly powerful. Imagine being able to see where people were gathering during a protest or a rally. You could potentially even identify individuals who were present.
Speaker 1: It's like creating a digital breadcrumb trail. Now, Lee also investigated the Epic data breach. Didn't he what was so significant about that one?
Speaker 2: Well, the Epic data breach is really important because it involved SQL databases, which are basically a fundamental part of how many websites and online services store their data.
Speaker 1: SQL databases. Can you remind me what those are?
Speaker 2: Sure? Think of a database like a really organized collection of data. And SQL, which stands for a structured query language, is basically a special language that's used to interact with those databases. It's how you ask questions and get answers from that data.
Speaker 1: So it's like Python, but specifically for talking to databases.
Speaker 2: Right, and there are different types of SQL databases. Epic use something called Mysequel, which is a popular open source database system. And Lee explains all of this and even shows you how to use a free tool called Maria dB to explore that leaked EPIC data.
Speaker 1: So it's like he's giving us a crash course in SQL database management in a way.
Speaker 2: Yes, And by doing so, he's kind of empowering us to investigate these types of leaks ourselves. You know, we're not just passively reading about his findings. We're learning the skills to make our own discoveries.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how he takes these complex topics and breaks them down. But Lee also explored the AFLDS healthcare data leak, and this one actually involved patient records. What did he find there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this leak was particular concerning because it contained really sensitive patient information like medical condition, treatments, even credit card details. Lee used Python to analyze this data, look for patterns, and create visualizations to support investigative reporting.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a story with very real world consequences, especially considering that AFLDS was promoting unproven medical treatments exactly.
Speaker 2: Lee's analysis really highlights the potential dangers of misinformation, especially when it comes to healthcare.
Speaker 1: It's a stark reminder that data breaches can have really serious implications that go far beyond just the digital world. But before we wrap up this part of our deep dive, I want to talk about one last data set, Discord chatlogs. I imagine those can provide a wealth of information, especially when it comes to investigating online groups in their activities.
Speaker 2: Absolutely leaked discord chat logs can be incredibly resealing, and Lee describes how these logs are structured. He uses tools to explore them, and even builds a custom web app for analyzing them.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is all so much to take in, and I know we're only scratching the surface of Mica Leese Hacks, Leeks and Revelations, But we'll have to continue our deep dive in part two. Stay tuned.
Speaker 2: One thing that really stood out to me in Hacks, Leaks and Revelations was how Michae Lee really emphasizes working with structured data, especially in spreadsheets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like we're getting like a master class in data analysis, but you know, without that stuffy classroom setting. And he even reminds us that sometimes the simplest tools can be the most effective.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, he really highlights how valuable CSV files are. They're basically spreadsheets without all the fancy formatting.
Speaker 1: So they're like the raw ingredients of a spreadsheet, just waiting to be analyzed exactly.
Speaker 2: And even though we have these powerful tools like Python and SQL databases, sometimes good old fashioned spreadsheets software is the best way to go for viewing and working with CSV files.
Speaker 1: It's like choosing the right tool for the job right. Sometimes you need a blender and sometimes you just need a good knife. But does he give any specific examples of how this works in practice?
Speaker 2: He does. He uses the Blue Leaks data set as an egis, and specifically he focuses on what are called Suspicious Activity Reports or sars from the Northern California Regional Intelligence Center SARS.
Speaker 1: That sounds intreasing. What kind of information do they contain?
Speaker 2: Stars are basically reports filed by law enforcement agencies about individuals or activities that they consider suspicious. They can include a wide range of information, from physical descriptions to observed behaviors to allege connections to criminal activity.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a window into the world of surveillance. What did Lee uncover from these reports.
Speaker 2: Well, he used Python to extract and format the data from the blue Leaks CSV file, making it easier to read and analyze, and then he showed how to search for specific keywords and uncover patterns in the data.
Speaker 1: So he's not just passively reading these stars, he's actively interrogating them using Python exactly.
Speaker 2: And this technique can be applied to other data sets as well. It's about using Python to transform that data into a more useful and insightful format.
Speaker 1: This is fascinating stuff. Did Lee analyze any other parts of the Blue Leak's data set?
Speaker 2: He did. He also looked at the bulk emails sent out by fusion centers.
Speaker 1: Fusion centers, Can you remind me what those are again?
Speaker 2: Sure? Fusion centers are basically intelligent sharing hubs that were created after the nine to eleven attacks to try to improve communication and collaboration between different law enforcement agencies. They often send out these bulk emails to local police officers with information about potential threats, suspicious activities, even upcoming training courses I see.
Speaker 1: So they play a crucial role in keeping everyone informed. But did Lee find anything noteworthy in these emails?
Speaker 2: He focused on a file called email builder dot csv, which contained the content of these bulk emails, and interestingly, he points out that the email bodies in the CSV file are actually htmail templates, meaning they contain these placeholders that are filled in with specific information when those emails are sent out.
Speaker 1: So it's like madlibs for law enforcement communication exactly.
Speaker 2: And to make these emails easier to read, he actually wrote a Python script that extracts the relevant information formats it properly using HTML tags and then saves it as an htmol file.
Speaker 1: So it's like we're reconstructing those bulk emails, bringing them back to life in their original format so we can get a clearer picture of what kind of information was being shared.
Speaker 2: That's right. And to make it even easier to explore the entire Blue Leak's data set, Lee guides us through building a web app using Python.
Speaker 1: Wait, we're building a web app. Now, this is getting serious?
Speaker 2: It is. He calls it the Blue Leaks Explorer, and it provides this really user friendly interface for browsing and searching that massive Blue Leaks data set. It's like having your own Google, but specifically for this data.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. Did he actually make this app available for others to use.
Speaker 2: He doesn't explicitly say that, but he does provide very detailed instructions, which suggests that he wants to empower others to build and use it. You know, it speaks to his commitment to transparency and collaboration.
Speaker 1: I love that he's giving people the tools to do their own investigating. It's so empowered. Now. You mentioned earlier that Lee also analyzed the Parlor data set. That's the social media platform that's popular among right wing users.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, that's right, and the data set contained millions of videos and metadata, and Lee was able to extract some really interesting insights from it, like what well. One of the most striking things he did was use Python to extract GPS coordinates from the video metadatas coordinates.
Speaker 1: That's some next level digital detective.
Speaker 2: Work, it is, And by extracting those coordinates, Lee was able to actually pinpoint the exact locations where those videos were filmed. And then he converted the data into KML files, which can be viewed in Google.
Speaker 1: Earth, so he was basically able to put those Parlor videos.
Speaker 2: On a map exactly. This technique is incredibly powerful. Imagine being able to see where people were gathering during a protest or a rally. You could even potentially identify individuals who were present.
Speaker 1: It's like creating a digital breadcrumb trail. Now. Lee also investigated the Epic data breach. Didn't he what was so significant about that one?
Speaker 2: Well, the Epic data breach is important because it involves SQL databases, which are basically a fundamental part of how many websites and online services actually store their data.
Speaker 1: SQL databases. Can you remind me what those are?
Speaker 2: Again? Sure? Think of a database like a really organized collection of data, and SQL, which stands for Structured Query Language, is basically a special language that's used to interact with those databases and how you ask questions and get answers from your data.
Speaker 1: So it's like Python, but specifically for talking to databases.
Speaker 2: Right, And there are different types of SQL databases. Epic used myseqel, which is a very popular open source database system. Lee explains all of this and even shows you how to use a free tool called Murray ADB to explore the leaked Epic data.
Speaker 1: So it's like he's giving us a crash course in SQL database management.
Speaker 2: In a way, he is, and by doing so he's kind of empowering us to investigate these types of leaks ourselves. Yeah, you know, we're not just passively reading about his findings. Where the skills to make our own discoveries.
Speaker 1: It's incredible how he takes these really complex concepts and breaks them down makes them so accessible. But Lee also explored the AFLDS healthcare data leak, and this one actually involved patient records. What did he find there?
Speaker 2: This leak was particularly concerning because it contains sensitive patient information like medical conditions, treatments, even credit card details. Lee used Python to analyze this data, identify patterns, and create visualizations to support investigative reporting.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a story with very real world consequences, especially given that AFLDS was promoting unproven medical treatments exactly.
Speaker 2: Lee's analysis really highlights the potential dangers of misinformation, especially in the context of healthcare.
Speaker 1: It's a stark reminder that data breaches can have serious implications that go far beyond just the digital world. But we've talked a lot about data analysis techniques. What about the ethical considerations of working with these data sets.
Speaker 2: That's a great question, and Lee is very mindful of the ethical implication of his work. He actually dedicates a whole chapter to discussing how to protect your sources and handle sensitive information responsibly.
Speaker 1: Can you give us an example of how he addresses these ethical concerns?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. One example that stood out to me was his investigation of the pony Power discord server. This group was engaged in doxing, which is the malicious act of publicly revealing someone's personal information.
Speaker 1: Online doxing can have devastating consequences. It's a form of online harassment that can lead to real world harm. What did Lee discover about this group?
Speaker 2: Well, he used his discord analysis app to go through the chat logs, searching for keywords, identifying key players, and really tracking their doxing campaigns. He uncovered personal information from over fifty individuals across fourteen states, including photographs, social media profiles, home addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, dates of birth, driver's license numbers, vehicle information, places of employment, and even a social Security number.
Speaker 1: That's a horrifying amount of sensitive information. It's hard to imagine the potential damage that could be done with this data exactly.
Speaker 2: And Lee's reporting on this group, which was published in the Intercept, brought much needed attention to the dangers of online harassment and doxing. It wasn't just about exposing the perpetrators, but also about raising awareness and advocating for better protections for victims.
Speaker 1: It's inspiring to see how Lee uses his technical skills not only to uncover secrets, but also to protect those who are.
Speaker 2: Vulnerable absolutely, and his collaboration with Unicorn Riot on the discord Leaks project further demonstrates his commitment to making these tools and resources available.
Speaker 1: Discord Leaks has become an invaluable resource for journalists and researchers who are investigating online extremism and hate speech. But Lee doesn't stop there. He also tackles some of the technical challenges that Windows users might face when working with these large data sets. Specifically, he addresses the Windows Subsystem for Linux or WSL.
Speaker 2: That's right. WSL is a fantastic tool that allows Windows users to run a Linux environment right within Windows, and this is a huge advantage for data analysis because many of the powerful tools we've been discussing are actually designed for Linux.
Speaker 1: But it sounds like WSL can be a bit finicky, especially when dealing with large data sets.
Speaker 2: It can be one common issue is performance. Accessing files from a Windows drive within the WSL environment can be significantly slower than accessing files stored on the Linux file system, and Lee offers some practical solutions for improving that performance.
Speaker 1: So he's basically giving us a tune up guide for our WSL environment exactly.
Speaker 2: He wants to make sure everyone, regardless of their operating system, can use these powerful tools for good.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how much ground we've covered already and we're only halfway through the book. Mike Lee really does provide a wealth of information and practical guidance for anyone who's interested in data analysis and investigative journalism.
Speaker 2: I agree, and what's really inspiring is how he emphasizes the ethical dimensions of this work, always keeping in mind the potential impact on individuals and society as a whole.
Speaker 1: Well said, we'll continue our deep dive into hacks, Leaks and Revelations in Part three. Stay tuned for more insights into the world of data leaks and the tools that journalists use to unlock the truth. Welcome back to our deep dive into Mike Lee's hacks, Leaks and Revelations. We've already uncovered so many tools and techniques for investigating data weeks. What else has stood out to you as we've continued reading?
Speaker 2: You know, I was really struck by Lee's deep dive into email dumps.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: They might seem like old news compared to today's world of instant messaging and social media and all that. Right, but email dumps can still be an absolute gold mine of information.
Speaker 1: That's true. I mean, emails are often used for more official communication, so it makes sense that they would contain a lot of sensitive information. But analyzing those emails it can feel like trying to find a needle in a haystack, right exactly.
Speaker 2: But Lee doesn't shy away from that challenge at all. He really walks us through those common formats for email dumps like EML and mbox. He explains how these files are structured, and he shows us how to use those familiar tools like Thunderbird and Microsoft Outlook oh to make sense of it all.
Speaker 1: So it's like he's giving us a crash course in email archaeology.
Speaker 2: I like that analogy. He's teaching us how to sift through those digital ruins and extract those valuable insights. He even gives us practical tips for organizing and searching and analyzing large volumes of emails efficiently.
Speaker 1: It is fascinating how you can piece together narratives and uncover those hidden connections just by carefully examining email threads.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and when those email threads get too complex to manage with those traditional email clients, Lee shows us how to bring in our trusty friend Python.
Speaker 1: Ah, Python always there to save the day. What kind of Python magic does Lee use for analyzing these email dumps?
Speaker 2: Well, he gives us really clear examples of how to use Python to extract specific information from emails like sender addresses, recipient lists, dates, keywords. You know. Imagine having a digital assistant that could scan through mountains of emails and just pinpoint the most relevant information for your investigation.
Speaker 1: Oh, that would be amazing. It would save so much time and effort, freeing you up to really focus on the analysis and interpretation of the data. So it really seems like Lee is giving us a comprehensive toolkit for investigating data leaks, from understanding basic digital security practices to mastering those really powerful data analysis techniques.
Speaker 2: He really is. But what's even more impressive to me is his emphasis on the ethical considerations of working with the sensitive information. He's not just teaching us how to find the information, but also how to handle it responsibly.
Speaker 1: Can you give us a concrete example of how Lee kind of navigates these ethical considerations.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. One example that really resonated with me was his investigation of the pony Power discord server. This group was engaged in doxing, which is the malicious act of publicly revealing someone's personal information online right and doxing can have de stating consequences for the victims, exposing them to harassment, threats, and even real world violence.
Speaker 1: It's a terrifying thought that something as simple as an online post can lead to such serious harm. How did Lee approach this investigation while still being mindful of those ethical implications.
Speaker 2: Well, he used his discord analysis app to carefully examine those chat logs, and he was very meticulous about protecting the identities of those doxing victims while still uncovering the extent of the group's activities. He discovered that they had targeted over fifty individuals across fourteen states, collecting and sharing a really shocking amount of personal information.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's incredibly disturbing. What happened after Lee uncovered this information well.
Speaker 2: His investigation was published in The Intercept, and it brought much needed attention to the dangers of online harassment and doxing. His work didn't just expose the perpetrators, it also sparked a conversation about the need for better protections for victims of online abuse.
Speaker 1: It's inspiring to see how Lee uses his skills to fight for justice and to protect those who are vulnerable. It's not just about uncovering the truth, it's about using that truth to make a positive impact exactly.
Speaker 2: And it's not just about his own reporting either. His collaboration with Unicorn Riot on the discord Leaks project is a prime example of his commitment to making these investigative tools and techniques accessible to everyone.
Speaker 1: And discord Leaks has become an invaluable resource for journalists and researchers who are investigating online extremism and hate speech. It's a testament to the power of collaboration and those open source tools.
Speaker 2: It really is, and Lee's willingness to share his knowledge and expertise is truly commendable. He wants to empower others to conduct their own investigations and hold those in power accountable well.
Speaker 1: Micah Lee's Hacks, Leaks and Revelations has been a fascinating and thought provoking read. It's given us a glimpse into the world of data leaks, investigative journalism, and the power of these digital tools for uncovering the truth.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree more. It's a must read for anyone who wants to done understand how data is shaping our world and how we can use it to make a difference.
Speaker 1: What a fantastic deep dive. A huge thank you to you are expert for sharing your insights and expertise with us today, and to our listeners, thank you for joining us on this journey. We hope you found it as enlightening as we did. Until next time, stay curious and keep exploring.