Speaker 1: Wow, wow, you know.
Speaker 2: Mama.
Speaker 3: It is Tuesday, August twentieth, twenty twenty four. Welcome to the own show about Spartan Dogs hosted by Spartan Dogs. This is Sparta m s U. I'm your host, Jason Strayhorn, along with my co host Cedric Swerve and Irvin. You feeling alive and well?
Speaker 2: This is your first.
Speaker 4: Time football time, stoopball time.
Speaker 3: You know, you know it, you know it is your first time. We want to welcome you. If it's not, thank you for your loyalty. And please don't forget to hit the like and subscribe buttons. Please do that. It helps a whole lot. That doesn't cost you a thing. And follow us on all of our social media platforms at this is part of MS. You let us know where you're watching from. It looks Swerve, I mean we got Battle Creek in the house, all right, a Battle Creek home of the Penfield Panthers.
Speaker 2: Listen, it's all good. I see baby in Florida home.
Speaker 5: Mother.
Speaker 2: What Penfield Panthers.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, that can't be the that's not the that's not the mascot, that's not what's that's not under the school name.
Speaker 6: That cannot be say it again.
Speaker 2: It says the home of the Penfield Panthers.
Speaker 4: Are you serious? There's no way that'scho whoever won the state championship.
Speaker 7: Man, Hey, happy birthday to my man.
Speaker 6: Happy pipolated birthday to my man. That's a great dude, right there, be it that my man Mike.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's in right there. Okay, that's Mike. That's who. That's that's what we're talking about. Yeah, we got the boot babies in the house. Hey, babies in the house. How you doing, Raven Eh?
Speaker 8: Baby, some air tooth fag some some some some some what they call the rest the red Beans and rice. And we're gonna go down to clay Ball Street over there on Canal Street.
Speaker 2: And Baby.
Speaker 3: Harpercreek BV Beef. It's all kinds of people to chat today. But we definitely thank you guys for tuning there. We got a jam packed show today. Swerve ten days away from Mitshu football open it up in Spartan Stadium against Florida Atlantic.
Speaker 4: Hold on straight before we get to that, it's two days before our babies play. That's what I'm excited about. I can't wait. I'm gonna be First of all, it's a three four hour flight, right, Yeah, going way to Utah for a high school game. Yeah, our babies play first.
Speaker 6: I can't wait. I can't wait to see my baby play. Wow.
Speaker 4: Right, you better hear somebody ass like that. If not, I can't hit him though, because he's getting a little stronger. But I gotta do something. But I can't wait, man, I can't wait, man to see them guys play the least. Who would have thought your babies and my babies playing together? And they dad ain't even hang out with me in school.
Speaker 3: Who would ever thought? But to a swerve, congratulations to your son. Just women giving some selfish plugs right here, Max wraps all American class of twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: That's a big honor. Man, congraduate.
Speaker 6: That's alright, that's alright.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 4: You better be a he better be all American. STI on Thursday, baby and a couple Milaura.
Speaker 2: Wow, speaking of all Americans.
Speaker 3: Everybody be sure to join us after the game ten days away.
Speaker 2: So we're talking eleven days away right now.
Speaker 3: On Saturday, August thirty, first for the Marion Smith fundraiser helped support a Marion's five siblings lose their mother.
Speaker 2: Gala had a beautiful funeral.
Speaker 1: Just yesterday.
Speaker 3: A lot of people came out, a lot of the teams came out to support, and that was what was important. Yet players from his high school team with River Rouge as well as Michigan State.
Speaker 2: We have videos to show some of the guys in attendance.
Speaker 4: Right here.
Speaker 6: You m.
Speaker 3: Wow, man, hey, a lot of people there. As you've seen the compliments of Mama trying there. We just took that from her social media, uh showing River Rugs had a kid.
Speaker 2: He looked like he was like seven five walk.
Speaker 4: Did you see the Michigan State kid with the blood? Is that blood or goldish hair? Like I gotta call I gotta call it head coach, I gotta call you.
Speaker 2: Jonatha Smith was in the house. That was what was Look now, one thing about it, twenty one.
Speaker 4: If he don't make football, I know he thinks he's pretty.
Speaker 6: He is pretty. I'm not knocking it. I'm not knocking it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: That's why I said, I'm gonna give him credit straight.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say, if he don't make football, he got that looked like, you know, uh not not Michael Jay. What's the what's the dude name with the Jerry Curle that played uh Michael uh not bad boy, Yeah, the bad boy down in Miami with the Miami bikes.
Speaker 2: You ain't never see Mimmy Michael Dan Carter no with the.
Speaker 4: Jerry Curle and you know, like, yeah, he gonna have He's gonna have something because Sonny, thank you, come on, come on straight his real name? Man, Okay, it's right right. I don't know real CTV kicking. I can't remember none of that ship. I just know he was light skinned and he.
Speaker 6: Got the pretty hair. Thank you now we bro. I knew it was coming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Michael twenty one, get twenty one, gonna do say either that he can be Drake little cousin.
Speaker 2: Hey man, we're gonna play as commercial.
Speaker 3: He got a new commercial out there, sweet and I l deal with Mike Morrison town nice video. He did it with the other guys though, so I gotta give him some rub on that he did it with one of them guys from down the road. But it was a high school teammate situation. I know he got through. Yeah, you know, they high.
Speaker 6: School so straight.
Speaker 4: If he did that, if he did that commercial already, that means he got paid and he gonna be that next Saturday. I'm just trying to see how many man, how many man I'm.
Speaker 6: In the nuggets I can get.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 6: That's all I'm trying to do. Straight, That's all.
Speaker 2: He'll be there. But I don't think you should ask you for nothing. Heat.
Speaker 3: It's about it's it's for a Marion and his family. Man, Okay, right.
Speaker 4: So they get fifte they get fifteen percent of anything that this ball, right, that's right.
Speaker 6: So the more the more, the.
Speaker 4: More uh Big Max I can get, the more fifteen percent can go.
Speaker 6: To come on straight, work with me.
Speaker 3: Baby, you got thirty three Big Max coming up our habit mails, I remember, don't forget that. Thirty three happy mails to Cedric for the kids who show up, and they gotta be under five years old.
Speaker 6: Not right?
Speaker 4: If you six, you don't get one from me. I don't care. You too old for Big matl over six.
Speaker 6: Five and under. I'm buying.
Speaker 2: I'm buying a happy man six Okay, look, moving moving on.
Speaker 3: We gotta move on, man, Listen, we gotta make sure all business owners and people who ship anything, you gotta get your ship.
Speaker 2: Together yet to get your ship, get your shipped together. Gray matter Exchange right here.
Speaker 9: Do you have your ship together? Gray Matter Exchange will audit your invoices to obtain refunds to your accounts. We negotiate the best rates specifically for your unique shipping. We provide you free consultation on small parcel shipping questions. We will get your ship together. Sign up today, Hey.
Speaker 2: Swarve and man, hold on, hold on, man.
Speaker 3: We got an announcement with MSU basketball that just came in hot off the presses right now. Score updated in Barcelona. You know he had the other two games already. Spartan's fall one hundred and fifteen to one hundred and ten the Barcelona in the final game in Spain. Now say Lee's with a record of two and one.
Speaker 2: Hitler was the high score of eighteen and aikins, I got he had sixteen.
Speaker 3: We got to get filler on here too. Cohler thirteen, Jason and Booker both with eleven. But they lost the game. And swear, I think I know why they lost this game. You don't want to know why. Let's look at this video right here, because before the game, this is what they were doing out there in Spain. This is what your cam brought up. Your your drone. This is what we found, I captain.
Speaker 1: So it's amazing.
Speaker 5: We're here in the Mediterranean seab on our catamaran ride. We have one hundred and twenty people on this ride and it's one of the once in a lifetime experience with all these boosters and uh, pretty much family members we have here.
Speaker 6: So my first dive, I heard technique, I can help you nose to toes. Let's go.
Speaker 10: Heck, it's a blessing just to be a part of this trip, and it's an incredible place to be and we're so uh, we're so blessed lucky to be here.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, compliments of said strong footage. I mean, this is the reason they lost. But here can we get such dron footage. The intro a little clipper as it was traveling to Barcelona.
Speaker 6: Wow, you.
Speaker 4: See and and and the thing about that with my drone is I didn't think it can go that far.
Speaker 6: Man. I got the baddest drone in town. Baby.
Speaker 4: But you know that that game there is one of those like, hey, we've been over here. We won the first two games. We kind of accomplished some things that we wanted to accomplished. You know, it's still early. You know the last game was like you know, hey, we you know, we toured the town, was in the pool, were in the water, We're in the ocean.
Speaker 6: We're doing the dances and all that.
Speaker 4: And it zoled me the tan and and and so.
Speaker 6: You got a nice weight room over there too.
Speaker 4: Just start doing some little curls in your office, duced, I gotta you know what, he didn't answered.
Speaker 2: My call the last time. I ain't call him his ass back no more. To give them a little workout program.
Speaker 3: Just tell him, you know, three sets of ten, just start with the basics, you know, fifteen pounds to do a little bit, little fly something.
Speaker 2: So we get them things popping out again. You know, I saw it.
Speaker 4: He needed to put a ten in beer right in his office in the basketball coat.
Speaker 2: He sure short does have the money. But look, man, we gotta talk a little bit about him. Shoot football, Uh, you know, we are definitely gonna get granular into this thing.
Speaker 3: We're gonna break down offense, defense, everything as we head into the week the game week next week against Florida Atlantic, and we're gonna break down Florida and Atlantic for everyone. But but said, you know, when you had your drone out last week. You know, talked a little bit about it. What did you see out of Michigan State? Just give it a little bit here.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I think we're gonna The thing they was focused on is third down and it kind of went fifty to fifty. You know, so great defensive back play thing that I haven't talked about, and I was not surprised, but ooh.
Speaker 6: Number five look good.
Speaker 4: I just want to ask you just two of them. I'm talking about the running back. He got the ass like I used to have back. I think I had a little bit more more ads than he did when I.
Speaker 6: Was in school. But man, he looked good.
Speaker 4: Man one plan and go, got a good burst, trusting his eyes.
Speaker 6: They running his zone pretty well.
Speaker 4: But I think the best play that we're gonna have is taking his zone quarterback keep dumping off and then taking his shots because he got a good receiver court and a tight end.
Speaker 2: Looked real good too. From an offense standpoint, So you know, I really want to see how this coach is gonna put it together. You know, you have your ups and downs in practice. You know, you get tired of going against each other and things like that. But from an offense standpoint, man, I saw some I saw some good things.
Speaker 3: There's no doubt about it. We gotta talk deep into the off We're gonna get granted. Like we said, we're gonna talk about it, and there's a surprises. There's some guys that have transferred in that really open minds. When I was at practice last week, I saw high production along that skill position. We talked about the receivers of the running backs and not including Nate Carter, you know and Nick Carter, absolutely he's the guy. But man, there's some transfers making some noise in that backfield. Also, I mean, who can say how much can we say about Aiden Childs?
Speaker 2: Okay, when we talk.
Speaker 3: About Aiden Childs, I mean they talk about a guy who has everything, all the tools, and one thing he has that we're gonna get more in detailed on is leadership qualities.
Speaker 2: Because he was named captain.
Speaker 3: Okay, Aiden Chiles was named captain along with your boy, Nate Carter, Tanner Miller the transfer out of Oregon State, center Jordan Turner linebacker transfer from Wisconsin, and Maverick Hanson.
Speaker 2: Man big Man.
Speaker 3: Five captains. I mean you got three offensive players to defense. I mean when you look at the makeup of this You got four transfer it's a different day for transfer players captains in Michigan State football straight.
Speaker 4: So I when I was doing my research, you know, you know, my CTE kicked in a little bit because.
Speaker 6: I they say we got sixty one new players.
Speaker 2: Sixty one new that's accurate. So wow, that's a lot.
Speaker 6: That's a lot.
Speaker 4: You know, you got to give that coaching staff they can put that together and jail those guys together. Sixty one new players, you know how many new starters you're gonna have. You know that that that and.
Speaker 6: I heard he do it. He does a good job.
Speaker 4: Bau. You always hear the kids talk about unity, brotherhood.
Speaker 6: I guess they do a lot of stuff where they interact with each other.
Speaker 4: So it's not like, you know, when you was in school, you want to talk to me because I was young and you.
Speaker 6: Had your You want to let a young guy like me hang out with you. But now you hear, now you can't get rid of me.
Speaker 2: Head your hair got was you know, it's come back down, you know.
Speaker 6: But now you can't get rid of me because now I'm on you hear. So I'm happy now.
Speaker 3: And we all are happiness worth to have you here, and we all are happy to have all those captains named. Five captains named at Michigan State. Just proud, like I've never seen a captain named that hasn't played for Michigan State at all, and you have right now three of them that haven't played a staff for Michigan State being named that. That's an incredible feat. That means they really turn some heads of those players. It's voted by the players, so everybody understands how that works.
Speaker 2: They're voted by the players.
Speaker 3: And you have yeah, three eight and Childs, Tanner, Miller and Jordan Turner, all three guys new to Michigan State earning that captain's position. Congratulations to all five of those guys and their parents because I know their parents are happy right now. So congratulations to those young men for that feet But moving on, man, look, we got to get to our special guests. Who just is hot off the plane. Man coming back from Peterie, France, Okay, where he competed on the biggest stage in the world in the Olympic Games. Okay, swear we're gonna breathe talking to our guy. You're gonna introduce him after these message from our friends. Over at ihap.
Speaker 11: Sight five dollars all you can eat pancakes or back at eye Hop for unlimited time.
Speaker 2: Or free with select Humbo purchase only at iHome.
Speaker 6: Man, do you see how they do that commercial?
Speaker 4: How to serve just coming down so slow on the pancakes?
Speaker 2: Is it real type to do that? Man?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: That looks so good. That man.
Speaker 6: Come on, man to the world.
Speaker 4: He's heath ball with to swerve or nerve and he's h b When you talk about a guy that's from Kalamazoo. I went to hack Catholic Prep, played basketball, baseball, football, ran track, and now I thought I was one of the best athletes to ever come through Michigan State. But I have to give it to this guy here watching him in the Olympics. Man, he looked so good and I didn't know he was six y three. He got abs like me, he got triceps. Oh, man, get the guy looks so any pretty not just pretty any smart. He got his degree, he got his masters degree. He doing all great things. He's coming back to campus. We can talk about a guy that can do every event. I ain't Andre Risen, ain't shit to this guy. The King, Please Bart being athlete, ain't ship to this guy, flows at him, ain't shit to this guy.
Speaker 6: Satred Arber a little close to him, but I'm not close.
Speaker 4: This guy hit did every event in track and field top ten. And I promise you because I'll be on the West Coast in twenty eight and we're gonna train start and when I get up there next week, HB will win the gold medal.
Speaker 6: In four more.
Speaker 4: Years, AHB come on in as the best athlete ever to come to Michigan state history.
Speaker 2: He bowl, miss you, welcome brother. How you doing?
Speaker 1: He yeah, man, I appreciate the introduction.
Speaker 4: Anything for a US hoodie or shirt, you know, because right now I'm running.
Speaker 6: A capitol.
Speaker 1: You something now?
Speaker 2: Well, heat man, like, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: And you know, coming right off the Olympic Games, coming from Paris.
Speaker 2: First of all, what was that event?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: What did it feel like when you were in Eugene, Oregon and you realized you had won the Olympic Trials under the Catholic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was pretty crazy. I went into it feeling pretty good, so I felt like I had a pretty good chance to at least make the team, but like to win. It was a whole different thing. So that's pretty cool. I came in there and like beat some guys that had professional contracts, so I feel I kind of proved myself and put myself in a good position to go pro after college and stuff like that. And then, yeah, I mean it was just a wild experience.
Speaker 2: So you just talked about you beat some guys had some pro contracts. I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that you was putting it out there saying, hey, paid me my money, so you get you stamped your ticket for Paris. What's the travel experience like going over there as an olympian?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 2: I think he cut, he cut, he docked you and it aren't you six four?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm six four?
Speaker 2: Hey, come on, swear.
Speaker 6: Six six three with CTE really equals the six four My bad?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, HB. I won't make that mistake again, because I may. I may be the guy to carry your bags into the stadium in four more years.
Speaker 6: We're gonna work on that. Two.
Speaker 1: The travel experience was pretty good. I was over there for a while. I actually went to meet in Germany about three weeks before the Olympics, So I went over there and competed. I just did like the hurdles and then pull boll So I got some experience there and then I kind of sell them to the time change and everything. But yeah, I just felt like I was there forever.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 4: In Olympic trials, you had some personal best, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had a couple uh br in the four hundred, and then I had a big PI on the shot put, and then I was just I was like just under a lot of my prs in a couple of events. I high jumped pretty well, uh and then yeah, long jumps pretty well. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So now when you when you shot put, now you punching or you spinding? Because in high school I did the spin I probably you know, sixty five, sixty six, you know.
Speaker 6: Just you know, are you spinning with the shot put or you punching?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So I'm actually I do something kind of weird. I'm like one of the only people that shuffles. It's like you take a little step back and then you like basically punch into it.
Speaker 4: So okay, okay, cool, Yeah, I can teach you how to spend next week you know, they add that to your game and just get me a shout out.
Speaker 6: When you write your book, that's all I'm axing for.
Speaker 1: I've tried to spend. It's just it's tough.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: It's a lot less consistent, I think.
Speaker 3: Is less consistent? Are you just shuffling line? Oh see, there's this guy I can introduce you to. His name was Krowsier.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, Ryan Crowser.
Speaker 2: You know he a little dude, right, did you see him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's about six eight, probably like three something. Those dudes are massive, man, the throwers are massive.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: If you saw that video of Joe Kovac's a shot putterer. Yeah, before the me he was bunching seven fifty for like reps for three.
Speaker 6: Come on, come on.
Speaker 2: That's crazy because I know they test the hell out of Olympians.
Speaker 1: No, it's wild.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I'm in the U Sawa pool, so I have to update my whereabouts every day. I have to be home for an hour so they can show up to test me whenever.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 3: I've talked to other Olympics. They say that sometimes if they train in remote locations, they'll send helicopters. Yeah, they make them drop, you know, they gotta see it's that serious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, they're really on it, especially with track and field. There's a lot of dope and stuff, so they don't play around with it.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: So when you cross eighty five, I mean you get eighty six hundred in Eugene, did did you have to drop?
Speaker 1: I had to piss right after it? In Louisville after one of my first step pathlons, they like just pulled you right from the line and you go straight to the bathroom of the person.
Speaker 2: That's like Tony Mandards. We just had Tony on. He could have told you how to You know, I think I don't think you can beat it no more. But you know you beat him when he was in the state.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, Luckily, Luckily I'm not doing anything.
Speaker 2: He just not well not trow. You know.
Speaker 3: So when you you were growing up in Kalamazoo, like I saw, you won a lot of state championships and you placed uh even more events. How did you get involved in track and what was your first love as a young young boy growing up?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think baseball is probably my first sport. But I was pretty good at like baseball, football, basketball through high school, Like, I was all state in all four sports. My senior year, I average twenty two game in basketball and I had twenty receiving touchdowns my senior year as a So was that.
Speaker 6: Co ed that talk?
Speaker 3: No, no, I want to you said, I'm tired of hearing that ship. You be talking four all four sports? Yeah, man, man, man, you want to be a host.
Speaker 1: I mean I went too. It was easy. I mean it was just like I went to a smaller school. So we were playing. I mean the guys that are guarding there were like five times.
Speaker 6: Him off the.
Speaker 2: Hook, him off the hook.
Speaker 4: Ab Please tell me, and I'm so happy you did it, man, because you're a spartan, a lum, You're a spartan doll. You wanted the greatest athletes ever besides myself to go to Lampton.
Speaker 6: Tell me what made you lead that other school?
Speaker 4: I don't say his name if I don't have to. Like, if you go on the highway and it's down to the left, they do a lot of cheating. They got people on the sideline. The coach left and you know, yeah, they do all that shit. Tell me what what what was that situation? Because I read that you you left whatever that school called to come to the greatest school in Michigan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I my head coach Ricord and ended up going to LSU. He took a job at LSU, and then I didn't get into the major program I wanted to and they didn't have the major program I wanted to do, and then a couple of my friends ended up transferring as well, like my training partners. Uh So I just kind of looked like a better option for me. And then I got in the portal and then I had like really good offers because like as my first year doing the deck and i'd already I think it came like eighth uh NCAA. So I had some great offers, but just decided to stay in Michigan, like close to home, close to my family, and it worked out pretty good. Michigan State was a really good program for the decathlon, Like we've had the Big ten champion in the decathlon for the past like four years in a row. Really, So, yeah, the coach here is for the coach that was here. My coach actually left this past when it was it November, you're retired to become a firefighter. Just yeah, So I actually got a new coach in December, but I actually ended up really liking them a bunch. And then I mean we obviously had a really good year together, so I'm sticking around.
Speaker 4: So that's kind of like almost sounded like boxing, like you gotta have that trainer like a long time to stick with you to go through those all those events and things like that.
Speaker 1: Huh, yeah, for sure. I mean the coaching is a super important track, just so individual. So you need a coach like know exactly how your body's gonna respond to certain training and just like the morning coach knows you, the better you guys can figure out situations and meets and whatnot. So I have a really good relationship with my coach right now and really close. Uh and yeah, I think it's only going to get better as we go.
Speaker 3: So, so you have one coach for all ten events.
Speaker 1: Why I work with I work with a throws coach that coaches me in all the throws, and then the jumps coach who coaches me in the jumping events. And then I work with our sprints coach here as well, who coaches me in the hurls and the sprints. But my main coach is rich Fisher, who's the jumps coach, and he like kind of oversees everything.
Speaker 2: But I work with a couple of different coaches he oversees.
Speaker 3: So I would imagine in that sport that you know in that in the cafe. It's a lot of psychological things you have to go through too, a lot of analytics.
Speaker 1: Probably more than half of the catheline is mental, just because you're out there for so long. You start at like I mean for the Olympics, for example, we start at ten in the morning. You had to wake up at five o'clock in the morning, get there like seven. You're there from basically seven to ten pm at night, and then you get back up the next morning and you're there again at seven am. You probably don't get back to the hotel until like twelve at night, so it's a quick turnaround and then you're there till ten pm in the next day. So a lot of it is like who can like stay locked in and use their adrenals at the right times, Who can like conserve energy and use it at the right times, because obviously there's a lot of shit going on, like in between your events. You kind of just gotta I don't know, you're warming up a bunch of different times too, and there's a bunch that goes into it.
Speaker 3: Man, So so doing that like, what are you allowed to bring food in there?
Speaker 2: How does that work?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You can bring whatever. So I'll like bring a suitcase with all my spikes because I have, like I have spikes for each different event, So I'll bring a suitcase and spikes, like basically everything you can think of, snacks, caffeine, electrolytes, all the stuff.
Speaker 6: Wow, it's been you sound very intelligent like myself.
Speaker 4: Man, I want to know what's what's your major, what's your situation now at Michigan State, what's the next step? And to me, you get on the flight and go on the West coast in four more years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I got my underground information and science, and then I just got my masters. I'm finishing up my masters right now in marketing research and Analytics. And then yeah, basically the plan going up until LA is just keep training. I got support from some good sponsors right now, luckily over the next four years. And then so I mean, I mean there's meets in between this Olympics and next Olympics. So there's like a World Championship each year, which is basically the same thing for track and field. Next year is in Tokyo. So that's what I'm focusing on right now, and I just say just try to keep improving and training here in Lancing with my coach and hopefully just continue to get better going into the next Olympics.
Speaker 2: So while you're in Lancing, are you working with the track team at Michigan State.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm gonna be a volunteer assistant coach, So i might be helping out a little bit, and I'll just be around the program like assisting as much as I want to. But yeah, I'll access to all the facilities and everything, and I can train there with my coach as well. But yeah, I'm gonna try to help out a little bit with the younger guys. As I know, we have a couple of young guys that are coming in to try to decathlon, I think two of them, So I'm gonna try to help them out quite a bit.
Speaker 3: I read about one of them, you know, the kathlon. Yeah, so is that that's got to be a recruiting hook to have an Olympics I got on staff at the school that you're going to go to.
Speaker 1: I mean it's gotta be huge, Yeah, for sure. We talked about that a little bit too with my coach. I think it might help with some recruiting stuff as well, just as they need it. But I think that'd be fun. I think if actually I might want to do some sort of coaching, So I think it'll be good to get some sort of experience with this. And yeah, I mean it'll be good to have in my back pocket. I think you.
Speaker 2: Speaking of pocket.
Speaker 3: So you know when you talked about you know, sponsorships and things like that, like what, how how is it because we talk a lot, uh to to the the football and basketball players in the world and even tennis, you know, like n I L is a big part of those sports, and I know it's big in the landscape of college athletics.
Speaker 2: How has n I L affected track and field in your vision?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So, honestly, there wasn't anything too crazy. I didn't get anything too crazy for anile over the past year past year, but I wasn't really doing anything with my social media. But yeah, I mean now that I'm done, uh, now that I'm professional, and I had a good year. I picked up some good sponsorships, like I got sponsored by Nike after trials, and I got support from the USA Track and Field and then another thing called us a t F foundation.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then I'm also sponsored by Kelly's Frosted Flakes.
Speaker 2: So frosted flakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, held on, HB, I knew it was something about you, baby.
Speaker 4: So no, no, no, when we finished the show, please don't hang up, Because'm gonna give you my address.
Speaker 6: Just just send the boxes.
Speaker 4: Baby, No, no, no, listen, they got the strawberry cross the place.
Speaker 1: Now, they got the strawberry from the strawberry. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He can't sugar well some time off right now.
Speaker 7: He can't, but I can't. It isn't about him. He already got that. He already got it right. It's about giving, right, you say, give so so so he have you have you? But I'm not gonna we don't have to name anybody.
Speaker 3: But what's the craziest amount of money you've heard in the track and field world?
Speaker 2: Within I l deals like anywhere in the country.
Speaker 1: Uh, for college athletes?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't really heard any specific numbers. I know more about track professional track, but I think probably there's a lot of the like the distance girls that are like influencers on social media that are making pretty good money. All right, I just a couple of hundred thousand followers and stuff like Missia Russ, who was a one time or a hunter hurler at Kentucky was making good money. I know she was sponsored by Jim Shark hold.
Speaker 2: On the hurdler from Kentucky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, that's a different deal, now what you said, no pro pro track athletes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's obviously a lot different than football. We're not making nearly as much money as that. But yeah, I mean, like the top sprinters are all making they're making a lot of money, like above a million dollars a year, and then as you trickle down, I mean the field events don't make as much money, like the jumps, throws and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Crowds is not making no money.
Speaker 1: What's up, crowser Oh No, crowds is making good money. Like if you're like top three in the world, they're top five in the world at your event, Like you're making pretty solid money.
Speaker 6: Especially Richardson the girls, he signed for like twenty million, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's probably like the most paid track athlete right now. Her and no Allows obviously.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what my kids talk about all the time. Lyles, you know, and when that went crazy he got COVID. He won the hundred lost to hundred got covid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's saying he can break the world record into four hundred man market it.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't know se now.
Speaker 6: Mike, my kids talked about Richard. He like a uniform.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure he does. Did you get a chance to meet athletes like that when.
Speaker 11: You're in Yeah, I met a bunch of them. So I met a lot of people that have been looking up to the past couple of years. I talked to no Les for a while, actually met I talked to Kad for a little bit. Kevin Durant, oh wow, yeah, so that was pretty cool. And then like Grant Holloway was like the one ten hurdle champion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh he's crazy fast.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A bunch of those guys they're already what's up?
Speaker 2: Did you ask him for tips? No?
Speaker 1: No, I didn't ask for tips. I didn't. I didn't a fan boy that hard.
Speaker 4: See you're a family, you can't you know, right, got that, Like you've been there before. You know, I'm thanks for that every day. You know what I'm saying. But I feel you understand that.
Speaker 3: The new guy in the block, No, I hear that, man, So one more question, because I mean this is something everybody wants to know. Everybody talks when you guys are over in Paris. You know, I'm sure you've watched this before. They always talk about the Olympic village. What's going on? I know you, I know, I know you. You had nothing to do with this, but like, what what what happens over there?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was going I was going to better early. I mean all my roommates were married, so I didn't see anything crazy and I gotta go obviously. I mean, yeah, sometimes I got up early. I was going to breakfast and there's people coming back from the bars and stuff. I like five of them morning, so I mean there's obviously, yeah, there's a lot of people, uh hanging out and whatnot.
Speaker 3: You know, five in the morning. They gotta are they done competing? Is that what happens weird?
Speaker 1: Because people would I mean people were competing later in the in the block whatever, Like people are competing August tenth, and then there's other people that were done in like the end of July. So it was like a weird mix of people that were like super focused and then other people that were like partying because it's like the end of their season, but it was kind of cool to see its fun.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Man, yeah, I was done. I had a good time. I went in Paris a couple times with my friends, so we got to explore a little bit some of the bars and whatnot.
Speaker 3: What was the craziest thing that you What was the funnest part of being there besides competing competing?
Speaker 1: I would say just like going around the city. Once I was done with some of my friends and family, we had a big group of people that came out. It's like thirty of them. So, like the night I was done, like I went out with my family and like even my mom came out with us to the bar and stuff to like four am. So I thought that was HILEI and I'm like, yeah, we were just doing stupid stuff. It was like me and my high school buddies. We were just like changing say in the bar's.
Speaker 2: Out stand your air quotes are hanging out, don't. I don't know what that means.
Speaker 6: I only Rolanda can say something like that.
Speaker 3: No, Man, hey, hey that's that's a that's a that sounds like I almost could visualize what you were looking at. Almost, you know, I'm picking up what you're putting now.
Speaker 1: Crazy like in the US. I mean, like with phil stadiums, like it's decent, but like that was wild, Like going out there and it's like eighty thousand people completely sold out for both days. It's pretty wild competing in front of that many people.
Speaker 2: Guys the tighten.
Speaker 3: Guys up into the Catholic because you hear about that, like in sprints where they feel like they're super ours because they hear the crowd.
Speaker 1: I got a little tighty in one hundred. I didn't run the best hundred, but yeah, I mean it was crazy, like they went insane for the French Decatholic that was in my heat and one hundred, so like assuming that they said his name, like you couldn't even hear anything. It's like the stadium noise in college football if you know what that is. You talked a little bit about it, but no, it's like you know, like the college football video game they have like the same stadium on.
Speaker 2: All right, man's just about that. We end up we're right, we're in the same demographic as you. How old are you?
Speaker 1: Heat twenty three?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I mean so he was born in like two thousand.
Speaker 1: And two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: One yeah man, yeah, you and Matt for Matt Ford is one of those six.
Speaker 3: He's going he got qualified qualified for the US Open, nintennis. So this is back to back.
Speaker 2: You know. You guys change in the world. We love that, man, and you know.
Speaker 3: I can't thank you enough for coming on the show and representing the United States, not only that but Michigan State. That's most importantly the way that you do. We look forward to like seeing what you are going to do in the future.
Speaker 2: Brother man. Keep it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I appreciate it. Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 6: Me Before you leave.
Speaker 4: We're gonna talk about the prouty late, but I'm gonna follow you on Instagram, follow me back and start talking to me and liking my stuff, like you know, we cousins and something, so people can know that I know, you know what I mean, I got so when I got the show, I'm a boom boom, you know, and and let people know that I'm your cousin.
Speaker 6: And then next week you take a picture together.
Speaker 2: It looks just like.
Speaker 6: That's what it is, right, that's all.
Speaker 4: And then put me on your page because I got to get my followers up, you.
Speaker 12: Know, all right, I got you well, man, people, thank you, man, appreciate you're coming on the show.
Speaker 2: Man. Good luck to you in the next couple of weeks. You know, rest relaxed now, man, you got some time yeah, yeah for Tokyo. We got time to train for Tokyo for sure.
Speaker 1: Gradually all been doing much anything the next couple weeks.
Speaker 3: You deserve it. If anybody in the world deserves a shoe. All right, all right, brother, thanks for coming on. This is part of the m Shu Heath Baldwin, ladies and gentlemen. I mean that that's that's an incredible young man right there. It swear a great athlete, better human being. Four stay tight, Come on, man, I don't care what level it is. That's hard to do.
Speaker 6: Not No, it's not.
Speaker 4: You just say everybody on the basketball team was five.
Speaker 2: Now everybody was five ten. Swear that's what.
Speaker 3: He said, something about five ten and I knew he was gonna jump on that ship. I knew he was gonna jump on it. Come on, man, one of the greatest athletes in the world. You talk about a guy who probably can break the world He's on pace the world records like ninety one something. He's at eighty six he's better at the same age as the guy who is the current world record holder.
Speaker 2: So we might have a world record. This this, this might be the greatest athlete that ever walked the face of the earth. It just was all this is part of the MSH you believe.
Speaker 4: That, Hey, this is what I say on This is spart of ms U. We just don't talk about it. You know, we're not one of.
Speaker 6: Those guys that get Google stuff and look up stuff. You know. We we get, we get in, we get, we.
Speaker 4: Get the face, the face we get, we get the dream one, we get the we get the hbs of the world.
Speaker 6: We we get that. We get the guys. We had the number three draft pick on here.
Speaker 2: It is wed that guy out here. Why did you.
Speaker 6: Want to listen to anybody else and not listen to us.
Speaker 3: When we got we get it, we got and listen. We're gonna keep giving it to you, everybody that that was. That was a special situation right there. We gotta bring a guy like Heath on the show because he's coming right off the plane from Paris to come on.
Speaker 2: This is Sparta.
Speaker 3: But Thursday we turned the page and we going all football Thursday, Tuesday, Thursday, nothing but football. Okay, ladies and gentlemen, we will be back to see you. Then Cedric Gervin is gonna have a breakdown. We're gonna go offense, then we're gonna go defense, and then we're gonna go Florida Atlantic and everything else that goes with that.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have everybody. But until then, swerve, what what?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 2: What is your final thoughts before we go?
Speaker 6: And the one thing I want to say, the one thing I want.
Speaker 4: To say straight is is shout out to the team for supporting the Marion.
Speaker 6: Shout out to to you.
Speaker 4: And Mama Tron because no one seen you guys behind the scenes, you know, the calls you guys were making. Also, shout out to Steve and all those who supported. But there's a lot of people that you know, stepped up to the plate for this young man and his family. Man, and I just want to say thank you to them, you know, from the show for myself, and that's all a blessing.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: It's well said, man. I mean, he looks and Marion Smith, Lady's mother the rest yesterday with the family. A lot of outpoint of support from both his high school teammates and his college teammates and beyond a lot of people. The coaching staff has done a phenomenal job of helping him with the emergency help that they need at Michigan State. So we want to keep the ball rolling for him because we don't want that thing.
Speaker 2: To die because there's a huge need. You know, people lose.
Speaker 3: Pans all the time, but people, it's very rare for a college athlete that has five.
Speaker 2: Younger siblings to do.
Speaker 3: So just just put that in perspective everyone, So it's a little different than your normal situation.
Speaker 2: I hope everybody sees that.
Speaker 3: But we're gonna get into the nitty gritty of football because I know that's what we came here to do.
Speaker 6: For such every not forget about those shirts though.
Speaker 4: Let's let's let's let show out and make sure we wear our shirts and take a picture so we can put it on our social media and show our support from that way as well.
Speaker 6: Because my shirt just came in.
Speaker 4: But I'm trying to get the shoes and the shorts, the matches so I can coordinate.
Speaker 3: You gotta be able to coordinate. We do have the search for a Marion go to the link in our bio right here. We'll probably announced purpose in the pain number ninety collection. All the profits from that go to the go fundme for Marion and his family. I believe that we're doing that. Please support him in any way can, and don't forget to come out on Saturday, August thirty first to the McDonald's on forty fifteen West sac of the Highway where we are gonna have is gonna be a lot of people. Eight Childs be there, Jordan Hall, Nick Marsh, Dylan Tatum, and so many more. We're gonna do a live recording of this show. They're at that McDonald's. Spartan's gonna be in the house. I even heard maybe Zeke the Wonder Dog might be. There's gonna be a lot of a lot of things going on around there, So please come out and support and most important the guests to honor. The guest of honor will be the Marionne Smith family. They're gonna all be there and we're gonna be buying them happy meals and loving on the man. That's the most important thing, loving on them and showing them the supports that they need in this very very dark time for them. So that's what Spartan to do so. Spidan Nation, please come out and support that that that cause and we will see you guys on Thursday when we break down some football. Here Setha Curffin. I'm Jason Strayhorn. This is Sparta NSU. Have a good night, God bless you guys. Go greet, go away.
Speaker 4: M h
Speaker 1: M hmmm